Sep

Florida? Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiired Up.

People line up outside the Palm Beach County Convention Center where President Obama was holding a rally, Sept 9

Winning the Future – Palm Beach County Convention Center, Florida, September 9

Okeechobee Blvd, Sept 9

President Obama makes a heart with his hands as he arrives to speak during a campaign event at the Palm Beach County Convention Center

Melbourne, Florida

Stunning interactive panoramic photos from the last night of the convention at Eclectablog.com

President Obama boards Air Force One prior to departing Palm Beach International Airport en route to Washington DC

The week ahead:

Monday: The President will attend meetings at the White House.

Tuesday: To mark the 11th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, the President, the First Lady and White House staff will gather on the South Lawn of the White House Tuesday morning to observe a moment of silence. Later that morning, they will travel to the Pentagon Memorial. In the afternoon, the President will travel to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center and visit with wounded warriors who are being treated at the hospital and their families

Wednesday: The President will travel to Las Vegas and Denver for campaign events. He will remain overnight in Denver

Thursday: The President will travel to Arvada, Colorado. He will return to the White House in the evening

Friday: The President and First Lady will welcome the 2012 U.S. Olympic and Paralympic teams to the White House

Home

290 Responses to “Florida? Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiired Up.”

1. 4 magapie
    September 9, 2012 at 8:11 pm

READY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. 8 taiping1
    September 9, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Fired up! Thanks!

3. September 9, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Is it silly to want a new, faster computer simply to be able to post first here more often?

September 9, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Perfectly natural desire, IMHO, Maryl. ;) ;) I had the same wish/plan for the summer until I got the money in hand and realized it just wouldn’t stretch to a-not-really-vital purchase. :grin: :grin:

• 13 Pamela
      September 9, 2012 at 9:08 pm

iPad will do it for you, maryl1… The iPad2 is now replaced by the (incredible unbelievable iPad with retina display) latest model. As much as I would LOVE to have #3, I am so happy still with my ipad2 that I wouldn’t dream (well I might dream) of replacing it… My point is, the iPad2 units are now available for a very good price, so if you look around a bit, you might find you can afford one, and they are FAST! so, that’s an idea, maybe?

• 15 Zekke LyDonna
      September 10, 2012 at 3:54 am

4. 16 lamh35
    September 9, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Been a busy day on the campaign trail for a Sunday.

So some cool down music. I love this song. The lyrics are very beautiful and it just so happens Jason Mraz is an Obama supporter.

Enjoy: Jason Mraz (featuring Darryl Hall) – I Won’t Give Up

5. September 9, 2012 at 8:13 pm

I had a great conversation at church today with a friend who had been a Hillary supporter and was very disappointed when Pres. Obama won the nomination. I remember giving her some information about him and recommending his book “Dreams From My Father”. She voted for him but wasn’t too happy about it. Today she was saying how much she loves him and thinks he is a great president. She’s happy she voted for him and will vote for him again.

• 21 theo67
      September 10, 2012 at 1:21 am

Excellent news! I have to admit, I didn’t turn to President Obama until it was clear that Hillary was out. And now, I see how wrong I was. He’s one in a trillion!

6. September 9, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Love the photos, Chips. What a great weekend icing on the cake of the convention.

September 9, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Know the consequences of cutting Medicaid

Medicaid has a huge economic effect, not only on its recipients but also on the hospitals and clinics in many ill-served communities. Lives hang in the balance.

• 24 isonprize
      September 9, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Children with special needs!! A TON of kids with special needs (regardless of family income) receive services thru Medicaid.)

Medicaid cuts would be DEVASTATING to children with special needs and their families. Wheelchairs, mofos, asthma inhalers, very expensive therapies (speech, occupational, physical, etc.) home nursing care. I could go on and on.

The expenses could break even a well-to-do family. Hospital stays can run in to the millions. eg, a 19 day stay in a NICU (neonatal intensive care unit) cost $765,000 and that was back in the ’90s,

• 25 jackiegrumbacher
        September 9, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Isonprize, put simply, many special needs children would die. I have a great nephew with Downs Syndrome who was born with a defective heart that had to be repaired. At two years old he was diagnosed with leukemia that took five long years of treatment. He is a beautiful, loving child who is now cancer free. But there is no way on this earth that my niece and her husband could have afforded his health care without Medicaid. Medicaid makes it possible for Downs Syndrome children to have early intervention to give them the best possible chance to lead a happy and productive life. It is cruel, heartless and unimaginably inhumane to even think of taking Medicaid away from children with special needs. And it’s especially galling when over privileged wealthy men talk about it like it was just a budget item they can flick off the table with no thought to the human consequences.

• 26 isonprize
          September 9, 2012 at 11:06 pm

JackieG, sad, but you are absolutely right. MANY CHILDREN WITH SPECIAL NEEDS WILL DIE.

And not just kids who are born with medical challenges. Kids who unexpectedly suffer traumatic injuries or develop chronic debilitating illnesses (the many cancers, heart problems,etc) later in life .

If we lose Medicaid, MANY CHILDREN WITH SPECIAL NEEDS WILLSUFFER AND DIE because their parents just can not afford the care.

September 9, 2012 at 10:19 pm

‘Hospital stays can run in to the millions. eg, a 19 day stay in a NICU (neonatal intensive care unit) cost $765,000 and that was back in the ’90s,’

There’s why I couldn’t live in the States! My only offspring spent 90 (NINETY) days in the NICU and my up front outlay was for gas for the car to visit him in the hospital (approx 1+ hour away if I avoided rush hour) and hospital parking, which was discounted if I took the parking ticket with me to be validated by the NICU reception. There is no way under the sun I would have been able to pay the hospital if we didn’t have universal healthcare, and what would I have done under such circumstances? It boggles the mind that (a) it has taken the US so long to get this close AND (b) politicians are actually fighting it!

• 28 isonprize
          September 9, 2012 at 11:01 pm

VC and JackieG, exactly!!

But my point was that Medicaid covers all the things that I mentioned, plus the stuff that JackieG mentioned (surgeries, early intervention, and SO MUCH MORE!!!) If Medicaid is cut, Jackie is right, CHILDREN WILL DIE.

These Re-thugs are HATEFUL and people who vote for them are ignorant, ESPECIALLY if they have or know some one who has a child with special needs.

• 29 veryslowwriter
            September 10, 2012 at 1:38 am

Children will die. Adults will die. You see, the rethugs don’t care about anyone that isn’t in their family. (And not all of them.)

8. 30 vitaminlover
    September 9, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Slightly off-topic-Willard reminds me of one of those old firecrackers that when you light it it doesn’t go off. If it does go off it is like 20 minutes after the fact and it just makes a muffled poof sound. Then for safety the person who lit it douses it thououghly with the hose and then puts it on the burn pile to be sure that it is completely destroyed. So I am soooo looking for my President to completely put him out. KAPOW!

9. 32 Melanie
    September 9, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Sad news…

September 9, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Very sad. Condolences to his family and loved ones.

• September 9, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Just terribly tragic, horrible.

• 35 nathkatun7
      September 9, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I am very sorry to hear about the sad news. My deep condolences to his family and his Jupiter comrades. It’s public servants like him, who work so hard to protect us, that deserve our respect and gratitude.

• 36 forus50
      September 9, 2012 at 8:47 pm

So sad. I wish they wouldn’t do the motorcycle aspect of it as it is unnecessary and for show only. All the accidents associated with the motorcades that I have read about involved motorcycles.

• 37 HZ
        September 9, 2012 at 10:40 pm

I ask that the sweet love of healing hands will reach out at this time to the family of this dear officer. I chose to light candles in my home to remind me to pray and ask for gentle spirits that reside in each of us to say a prayer and meditative thoughts for this life that was with us at the break of this day, but now is gone.

I am sure POB and his team are sad as well. I do understand any of this, but I know that there is a family somewhere in Florida who needs goodness coming their way at this moment.(((((((Healing sweetness fill those hearts at this time, please)))))))))). Life is so precious and deserves our thoughts of goodness to help bring healing to this family at this time. (((((((((( A grace that passes all understanding be with the family at this hour.))))))

Comfort POB and his travelling team to find peace and comfort as they try to deal with this precious life
        that has left us.HZ

• 38 dotster3
      September 9, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I was so sorry to hear he died. I read in the West Palm Beach paper that his motorcycle was hit by a pick up truck on an entrance ramp to I-95. Very sad.

• 40 Pamela
      September 9, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Oh, no… What is this?

• 41 globalcitizenlinda
      September 9, 2012 at 10:54 pm

very sad news indeed! wishing his family comfort and peace at this difficult time

10. 42 lamh35
    September 9, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I read somewhere that Romney has already had to “clarify” his “I like some parts of Obamacare” statement on MTP.

Anyone else read anything?

11. September 9, 2012 at 8:24 pm

#RomneyHardships

September 9, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I like that elderly (?) while maN’s sign – ‘THIS President is MY PRESIDENT.”

13. September 9, 2012 at 8:27 pm

And speaking of books, for you folks with e-readers, today I was browsing in the Kindle Top 100 Free books and I found this: AMERICA The Story of Us Book 1: The World Comes to America by Kevin Baker, Barack Obama, Prof. Gail Buckland. Apparently it is a companion book to a mini-series and PBO wrote the introduction. It look really good.

14. 60 collegekay
    September 9, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Hi all. Just getting home from a 10 hour canvassing/voter registration day. I am worn out.

I don’t see how PBO has so much energy. I am so grateful for him.

15. 64 TrumpDog
    September 9, 2012 at 8:31 pm

So I went to Fry’s to grocery shop AND pick up latest TIME mag with Obama on the cover. I’d been there I think Thursday and saw the one with Mitt and knew I had a day or so to get the one with President Obama.
    I had to tell my son to remind me over and over to get a magazine (cuz I have a tendency to forget)

So I get to the mag area and whadya know – I could not find the TIME. Then a light bulb went off in my head because I’ve experienced this shit before – someone had hid them. So I pulled some mags back and sure enough, found them. I placed them back up front where they should have been in the first place, grabbed my copy and went on my merry way.

Oh and as an aside, I saw TWO Obama bumper stickers on the way in to Fry’s. One was a sticker and one was the Obama/Biden magnet. Lifted my spirits, made me smile.

Obama/Biden 2012!

September 9, 2012 at 8:35 pm

:) I think I’ll do the same! On my way back from OFA today…there was a car beside me with a Penzone sticker and an Obama/Biden 2012 sticker….I pulled up beside them and we all clapped and smiled:)

September 9, 2012 at 8:32 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/10/taliban-accept-us-presence-afghanistan Guarded good news….

Some senior Taliban figures are ready to negotiate a ceasefire and might be ready to accept a long-term US military presence in Afghanistan as part of a comprehensive peace deal, according to a report to be published on Monday based on interviews with Taliban officials and negotiators.

The report, published by the Royal United Services Institute, finds that the Taliban is determined to make a decisive break with al-Qaida as part of a settlement and is open to negotiation about education for girls, but is adamantly opposed to the constitution which it sees as a prop for President Hamid Karzai’s government.

• 67 forus50
      September 9, 2012 at 8:43 pm

And that’s what we call Obama’s “debate prep”.

• 68 idon
        September 9, 2012 at 10:43 pm

There you go :) PBO is amazing. MITTNOCCHIO & LYINRYAN cannot touch him on foreign policy (really on domestic policy too). And I would have to say the same for Joe Biden.

17. 69 PoliticalJunkessa
    September 9, 2012 at 8:32 pm

The hug from Scott Van Duzer has got to be one of my top Obama moments ever! It would be nice to see more from Mr. Van Duzer during the campaign if he is so inclined. He seems like really good people. I’ll take our Scott Van Duzer over their Joe the Plumber any day.

By the way, do hugs from “hard-working, white Americans” count if they’re given in Florida, and not in Ohio or Pennsylvania? Let me know, Tweety. :lol:

• 70 forus50
      September 9, 2012 at 8:42 pm

“By the way, do hugs from “hard-working, white Americans” count if they’re given in Florida, and not in Ohio or Pennsylvania? Let me know, Tweety.” LOL – good question. We’ll find out tomorrow wheen Tweety informs us if they have lunch pails in Florida.

• 72 COS
      September 9, 2012 at 9:24 pm

They showed the hug on Nightly news. Mr Van Duzer is a Republican who voted for PBO in 2008 and says that he plan to vote for him again this time. The SS was ok with him lifting PBO because he did not try to take him away or run with him. I had to laugh.

18. September 9, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Three Obama signs up in my Republican neighborhood – No Romneys so far.

September 9, 2012 at 8:56 pm

As Jodi Kantor would say: Hmmmm….

• 75 isonprize
        September 9, 2012 at 11:08 pm

I really, really, really, really don’t like Jodi Kantor. Have I mentioned that I really, really, really, really don’t like her?

• 76 theo67
          September 10, 2012 at 1:48 am

I’m with you. She even wrote an article trying to exploit the Obama kids last week. She has no conscience, no moral barometer. She’s a grifter, a user, an opportunist. Reprehensible.

19. 82 Ladyhawke
    September 9, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Mittens’ Magical Health Care Plan

By karoli

———————————————

Willard just can’t resist the lie, especially when he’s desperately trying to save himself. Today was no exception. Mittens, Ryan, or surrogates appeared on every single Sunday show this morning to avail themselves of the free advertising while hoping not to hang themselves on their own self-braided ropes.

When it comes to health care, that rope is long and tangly and even a little magical.

I’m sure the resounding cheers for the Affordable Care Act from Charlotte were heard by the Romney campaign just about everywhere they went. So Mitt, who would sooner die than tell the truth about anything, said this:
    Here’s the dirty secret about Romney’s “replacement”: It’s no different than what existed before the Affordable Care Act passed. Not one whit. Romney’s plan allows people who are already covered by insurance and have pre-existing conditions to pay for it themselves. That’s called COBRA continuation. Under HIPAA, individuals who paid their 18 months of COBRA continuation could continue their coverage too.

Yes, they could continue their coverage. For a price. A hefty one, a price no one could possibly afford unless, of course, they were Mitt Romney with his bazillions to spend each month. Nothing to see here, move along.

———————————————–

• 83 nathkatun7
      September 9, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Ladyhawke, Today Romney’s team took three different positions on health care. The question is: Will the corporate media truthfully inform the American people about Romney’s multiple incoherent positions on health care? I highly doubt it.

20. 84 Rita
    September 9, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Wonderful pictures, Chips. Pictures like this are the only reason I’m upset I live in California! We never get events like this!!! Although, can you imagine what utter chaos it would be if in fact we did? Especially in NoCal?

21. 85 Michele
    September 9, 2012 at 8:57 pm

This is the constant game with these bozos. They deny everything on “main stream media” and try to appear reasonable to independents and back away/deny as soon as they get back to their donors and radical supporters..

22. September 9, 2012 at 8:58 pm

23. 87 Ladyhawke
    September 9, 2012 at 9:02 pm

WILLARD IS COMING UNDONE. HE’S STARTING TO SOUND LIKE MICHELE BACHMAN.

Mittens: Big Scary Obama WantsTo Take God Off Our Coins!

By Susie Madrak

—————————————–

These are the actions of either a man who is desperate because he knows he’s going to lose, or is so certain they can rig the votes on his behalf that he can say whatever demented thing that pops into his head:

Mitt Romney suggested Saturday in Virginia Beach that President Obama wants to remove God from coins, provoking a fierce retort from the president’s campaign.

“I will not take God out of our platform,” the Republican nominee said after reciting the Pledge of Allegiance. “I will not take God off our coins, and I will not take God out of my heart.”

———————————

• 88 COS
      September 9, 2012 at 9:19 pm

He is resorting to all types of tricks. I heard Harwood say on Nightly news that the Romney Camp now realize that it is very hard to beat an incumbent. Since our convention and their lying convention, I think they suddenly realized this, especially since PBO got a bounce and he did not. I think they are throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks. I said yesterday and I say again, those Bain employees at the convention were very effective. Also Clinton and everyone played their assigned roles of explaining and refuting everything the repugs lied about, point by point. People are paying attention now.

• 89 jackiegrumbacher
        September 9, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Wow, COS, you don’t wake up in September and realize that it’s hard to beat an incumbent. Willard has been running against an imaginary Obama for so long, he never realized he’d be facing the real one in the election. How could you trust a man to manage complex geopolitical strategies on a global level, when he can’t even figure out who his opponent is here at home?

• 90 nathkatun7
          September 10, 2012 at 12:03 am

Very well said, JackieG!

• 91 Zekke LyDonna
          September 10, 2012 at 4:28 am

Yes. I think you have a direct hit. Republicans and their Propaganda ‘news’ outlets, have created an fictional President. It is a caricature which bears no resemblance to the real PBO. They have been spinning this myth so long, they started believing their own B.S.

All those people who only watch FauxNews and listen to Rush Limpballs really believe this mythology. It bounces around inside the bubble, and they end up reinforcing each other’s Lies. That’s why it’s so hard for them to accept facts. Quite amazing.

September 9, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Okay Romney suppose to have his base, so who are he going after with this latest bunch of lies?

• 93 Pamela
      September 9, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Myth Robney dreamed all his life of being President of the United States. Then he woke up and realized he has absolutely no qualifications for the job at all.

September 9, 2012 at 9:10 pm

If I’m not mistaken the 112th overworked Congress come back from their rest tomorrow, so I thought to welcome Boehner, and later Cantor, back. I don’t want them to feel that we’ve forgotten them.

• 95 Pamela
      September 9, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Should I tell themi have had 10 days off in the past 6 months, still have no healthcare or dental insurance, and have had nearly $7,000.00 in dental work since May? Oh wait, why should they care about that? Silly me….

September 9, 2012 at 10:00 pm

That’s a reason for moving them out in Nov -they don’t care about #youpeople except for your vote at specific times of the political cycle.

25. 97 Ladyhawke
    September 9, 2012 at 9:14 pm

MITT ROMNEY’S ‘SLEIGHT OF HAND’ & ‘SMOKE AND MIRRORS’ CAMPAIGN

RNC Staffer Plays Role of Disaffected Obama Supporter

By karoli

————————————

Well, yeah. It is dishonest, because it presents a young Latina as someone who is disappointed and ready to vote for Romney, but really it’s just a staffer reading a script and doesn’t represent anyone I was able to find with similar attitudes, though I’m certain some are out there. And because there may be some out there, it seems to me the campaign should have maybe found one, or else put a disclaimer in their ad that actors/staffers portrayed the speakers.

————————————-

26. September 9, 2012 at 9:26 pm

You know, you can never come here just once a day. Each time I drop in there is so much more to see. thanks again Chips for making it possible to enjoy these events with PBO and see him home safe and sound at the end of the day.

27. 100 lamh35
    September 9, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Obama Bounce Still Growing

The latest round of tracking polls show President Obama maintaining or expanding his lead.

Gallup: Obama 49%, Romney 44%

Reuters/Ipsos: Obama 47%, Romney 43%

Rasmussen: Obama 49%, Romney 45%

28. 101 lamh35
    September 9, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Last Chance for Wisconsin

Mark Halperin notes that in the wake of New York Times and Politico stories suggesting that the electoral college math still favors President Obama, the Romney campaign put out a new TV ad in Wisconsin.

“Once upon a time, the Romney campaign dreamed of putting New Jersey, New Mexico, and Oregon in play. Now, just a few months later, they are on the precipice of giving up on Michigan and Pennsylvania, and they are still behind in Ohio. So using money to try to make Paul Ryan’s Wisconsin competitve is sensible, maybe essential. Right now, Romney-Ryan has fewer electoral college paths than Kerry-Edwards did at this point in 2004.”

29. September 9, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Just want to share a story with you guys cause I know you all will appreciate it!!.smile
    I live in a very Repuke area. I’ve had my yardsigns on my balcony since June. Somebody complained and they tried to say it violated the lease, but I fought it and won….Fast forward to yesterday. I had company coming in from out of town and while I was outside helping them unload a car stopped and a lady asked me “hey, where did you get your yard signs.” I just happened to have an extra one still in the box inside so I gave her that one. We chatted and she is so scared robme may win. she said she really felt she had to help Obama win. She told me where she lived so today I took her the address to the local office and the number to the organizer for our area along with mine. I also gave her a list of events going on in our area. She asked me if I was going to the volunteer training at the office and said she wanted to go with me. She also said she was going to call me this week so i could come down and help her get setup on the website so she could start making calls. I am so excited about it because she and her husband appear to be elderly and they are both white. I truly believe the convention really made the choice cystal clear for folks and I feel like we are going to win. I live in Michigan where they claim robme and his pacs have pulled out, but I don’t trust it!!! I’m working harder than ever. FIRED UP –READY TO WORK AND VOTE!!!

• September 9, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Robin – that’s exactly the kind of difference President Obama constantly reminds all of us we can make. And, YOU are making it!!!

#FORWARD

• 104 Pamela
      September 9, 2012 at 9:48 pm

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :). I LOVE this story Robin! Yay for you and for those folks! The more they learn and spend time with OFA people, the more confident they will feel, and that will confirm why they are so right to be scared of Myth and his idiotic ways!

September 9, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! Robin.. she will talk to her friends and family…and so on and so on….this is how we do it!

• 106 nathkatun7
      September 10, 2012 at 12:17 am

Robin, thanks for sharing this wonderful and encouraging story. It seems that each day our numbers grow. I agree with you that we must let our guards down. We must continue to work hard and make sure we take no chances. The sure way to lose is to start claiming easy victories before the votes are counted. This, by the way, includes all of us who reside in the so called Blue state and blue areas of red states.

30. 108 lamh35
    September 9, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Quote of the Day

“He says he’s got a 53-point plan or whatever, I don’t know.”

– Ohio Gov. John Kasich (R), quoted by the New York Times Magazine, commenting on Mitt Romney’s economic agenda.

September 9, 2012 at 10:20 pm

I doubt if Mitt Romney knows. If he does he is keeping it a secret.

• 110 idon
      September 9, 2012 at 10:51 pm

What Kasich is really saying is our 53 point plan is voter suppression, which will eventually lead to the repeal of the voting rights act. The Repubs started working on this during Bush’s first term.

31. September 9, 2012 at 9:45 pm

32. 121 forus50
    September 9, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Hitting the 50% magic number Go Obama!!

33. 123 forus50
    September 9, 2012 at 9:56 pm

• 124 proudmemberofglobalzero
      September 9, 2012 at 10:03 pm

September 9, 2012 at 10:09 pm

UNSURE?????????????????????????????????????????????

September 9, 2012 at 10:14 pm

At the Democratic convention in Charlotte on Thursday evening, Vice President Joe Biden recycled a slogan he’s often repeated on the campaign trail. “Osama bin Laden is dead, and General Motors is alive,” he reminded a roaring crowd.

The line is more than just a crowd-pleaser. As Democratic pollster Jeremy Rosner notes, the fact that half of Biden’s distilled pitch relates to foreign policy speaks to the rare advantage the Democratic Party has on national security in 2012, thanks to accomplishments such as ending the war in Iraq and killing Osama bin Laden and other terrorist leaders. An Ipsos/Reuters poll last month found that 51 percent of registered voters believe Barack Obama is stronger on foreign policy than Mitt Romney, while 35 percent believe the Republican candidate has the edge. The president also has a 47-38 advantage on national security and a 50-35 advantage on the war on terror.

• 130 theo67
          September 10, 2012 at 2:06 am

That 35% that lists Romney as being stronger on foreign policy must be insane. After seeing his blunders in Europe, hearing him say Russia is public enemy #1, watching his advisors speak of the USSR – anyone would have to be an idiot to still think Romney has one iota of foreign policy chops.

September 9, 2012 at 10:16 pm

15% Romney and 47% unsure. The Republicans are a bunch of racists extreme jackasses.

• 134 lisalovesobama
        September 9, 2012 at 10:26 pm

These Ohio repukes are dumber than dirt.

• 135 EricFive
        September 9, 2012 at 10:37 pm

15% say Romney?!?! These are some petty, weak minded fools. Why does it hurt them so much to give credit where credit is due? God knows that if the mission had been a failure it may have been fatal to PBO’s presidency (would have help GOP with their comparisons of PBO to Jimmy Carter). This poll says more about the delusional mindset of today’s GOP than it does about PBO and his leadership.

• September 9, 2012 at 11:26 pm

I think the word ‘responsible’ threw them.

• September 10, 2012 at 2:21 am

That 15% are the same folk who still approve of the 112th Congress ….

34. September 9, 2012 at 10:21 pm

35. September 9, 2012 at 10:22 pm

36. 140 lamh35
    September 9, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Hmmm, Ohio Republicans, stupid or ill-informed!

PublicPolicyPolling@ppppolls
    Who is more responsible for killing of Osama bin Laden? 38% of Ohio Republicans say Obama, 15% Romney, 47% unsure

Wow really, 15% of Ohio republicans believe that Mitt Romney is somehow responsible for killing Bin Liden….WOW!

37. 145 lamh35
    September 9, 2012 at 10:30 pm

38. September 9, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Wow, a canvasser just came to my door informing us about Props 30 and 32. 30 is the Millionaire’s Tax put forth by Gov. Brown, while 32 is going to “take money out of politics”; of course, they mean union money. Good to know the unions are on this. #FORWARD

• September 9, 2012 at 11:29 pm

That’s a relief. That prop 32 scares the crap out of me. If it passes in California, we can expect to see it on every single ballot in the off years. Scary, scary proposition.

• 148 nathkatun7
        September 9, 2012 at 11:40 pm

You are absolutely right, Tien Le, about prop 32. This is all about totally silencing the labor unions. Sadly, the moneyed people supporting Prop. 32 are determined to blanket the sate with media ads lying about its intent. Thankfully, working people in CA are mobilizing to defeat this. It’s not going to be easy.

• 149 busbus
      September 10, 2012 at 9:56 am

I have two concerns with Prop 32…(1) Will the voters think that this “take money out of politics” is equated only to Citizens’ United? We need an “Explainer-N-Chief” to provide a clear meaning of the proposition and what their “yes” or “no” vote would mean. And, (2) How much money will the Mormons” spend on advertising to confuse voters about Prop 32 as they did with Prop 8? (I think that it was Prop 8 which was about gay marriage.)

39. September 9, 2012 at 10:35 pm

September 9, 2012 at 10:40 pm

http://www.democraticunderground.com/101756265 Kathleen Turner at Press Club: Wow. h/t DU Really great. Good part starts at 10:18 on

41. September 9, 2012 at 10:45 pm

A Note on Methodology
    A few of you have asked how it could be that President Obama appears to be surging into a small lead and yet the PollTracker Average just moved Mitt Romney slightly ahead. Very good question. So let me explain a bit about our methodology. (More in our FAQ here.)

— JOSH MARSHALL

WTF?

42. September 9, 2012 at 10:48 pm

43. September 9, 2012 at 10:52 pm

• 162 nathkatun7
      September 9, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Well Jovie, Lis Smith is spot-on! In just one day we were treated to three different answers about Romney’s position on health care. The first came from the man himself, the second from his running mate, and the third from his campaign spokesperson. Why Mitt Romney is being taken seriously by the media is totally beyond my comprehension. The man doesn’t know what he stands for and that is why he changes his positions so much. Is this a man we want as President?

44. September 9, 2012 at 10:52 pm

45. September 9, 2012 at 11:03 pm

46. 171 Eveingeorgia
    September 9, 2012 at 11:06 pm

QUESTION?

My friend and 8 want to make calls for the campaign. We are arranging to have a gathering to begin calling on Friday.

Which tool from the OFA should we use?

Are we able to do this from a Red state?

HELP

September 9, 2012 at 11:14 pm

You need to be on Dashboard!! Call from home….dashboard,barackobama.com

• September 9, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Eveingeorgia, just go to Barackobama.com and log in. If you don’t have an account, just set one up. Once you’re logged in, go to the home page and you’ll see a column on the right. The first line says, “Volunteer” and the second line says, “Make calls.” Just click on that and it will set you up with everything you need for your area.

THANKS for volunteering!!

• 174 isonprize
      September 9, 2012 at 11:17 pm

EveinGeorgia. Go to http://www.barackobama.com (There should be link that gets you past the front page) You should create an account and then click “GET INVOLVED” Lots of good stuff there. “Make a call” is one of the choices. Take it from there, you’ll be FINE!!!!

Also, it doesn’t matter if you are a red state. There may be Obama offices in your state anyway. Look on the website. You never know…

ENJOY, Have fun and ~~ GO OBAMA/BIDEN 2012~~

47. 176 Eveingeorgia
    September 9, 2012 at 11:07 pm

That’s a friend and “I”.

September 9, 2012 at 11:16 pm

• 180 carolyn
      September 10, 2012 at 12:06 am

This does not surprisei me at all. Travel to Europe and discover they just do NOT understand how we could have elected GWB twice…very difficult to explain. When we were in England spring of 2008 people talked to us about the necessity of electing Obama…and that was even before he was officially nominated. One man was so passionate for Obama, I wished he lived here. He was totally mystified that he had been elected twice. We assured him we had not voted for him either time. It was embarrassing to admit that he was NOT elected in 2000, and that our Supreme Court had appointed him. The first eight years of the 21st century were awful for the U.S. in Europe. When we went to Italy and France in 2009 and 2010, the attitudes toward us had totally changed. They LOVE Obama. Why can’t our people wake up? Europeans have a broader view than we do, and all of our strange culture wars…..abortion, religion, medical care stubbornness, contraception…then lack of public transport and good roads, totally mystify them.
      German roads do NOT have potholes….trains, all over Europe…..run on time, yes even in Italy trains are dependable and run on time. They are run by a combination of government and private corporations. They are regulated and dependable. An absolute delight to travel on. They have mobed into the 21st century, while Republicans are trying to take us back sixty years.

49. 184 susanne
    September 9, 2012 at 11:23 pm

wapo weighs in on senate races:

‘ Three weeks after Republican Rep. Todd Akin upended the national political landscape by claiming that pregnancies rarely result from “legitimate rape,” the race for Senate in this increasingly conservative state — and in many ways the battle for control of Congress’s upper chamber — has settled into a waiting game. ‘

‘ Republicans need four new seats to take control of the chamber. That appeared to be within closer reach for the GOP earlier this year, before Akin’s comment — for which he has apologized — and before Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) announced her retirement, putting her seat in play.

To win control now, Republicans must see a series of neck-and-neck races turn their way — a surprisingly thin margin of error in a year when nearly two dozen Democratic senators are up for reelection. ‘

50. September 9, 2012 at 11:24 pm

51. September 9, 2012 at 11:25 pm

• 193 susanne
      September 10, 2012 at 12:13 am

i love how the twitter brigade jumps on these campaign mitt-stakes! romney hardships is a hoot, and so effective in erasing any sympathy they squeezed out of kindly americans.

52. 194 anniebella
    September 9, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Ann and Mitt when to church today, why? When all Mitt Romney do is lie. What is the purpose of him going to church? Mitt Romney is a bold face liar.

• 195 cookemom
      September 10, 2012 at 12:05 am

It’s called lying for the Lord. In other words, if a lie benefits the Mormon church, it is a forgivable act and rewarded on their special planet or something. Google has a lot on this. So when we call Mittiful on his lies, he doesn’t see it that way at all. In his mind, he’s doing it for a noble cause.

September 10, 2012 at 4:34 am

cookemom, Romney and his church can feel that way, but the man upstairs doesn’t. And my hope is the American people won’t either. A liar can’t be trusted.

September 9, 2012 at 11:37 pm

It’s early still…

• 198 thoughtful3
      September 9, 2012 at 11:48 pm

I don’t count on that changin’ much. In ’08, Pres. Obama won it over John McCain by a razor-thin 1-pt margin (49-48)

September 9, 2012 at 11:40 pm

55. 202 Eveingeorgia
    September 9, 2012 at 11:40 pm

@Desertflower, Meta, Isonprize and LL: Thanks so much!

56. September 9, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Great ground game should put us over the top!

57. September 9, 2012 at 11:54 pm

89% of Republucans are Dumb, 3% dont know, 8% have no opinion.

September 9, 2012 at 11:56 pm

• 210 susanne
      September 10, 2012 at 12:02 am

from the article:

‘ As beloved President Franklin D. Roosevelt once famously said, “nothing in politics happens by accident.” ‘

59. 211 susanne
    September 9, 2012 at 11:59 pm

yes, that says 75% tax on millionaires:

‘ French president Francois Hollande says there will be no exceptions to his plan to impose a 75 per cent tax rate on millionaires.

Mr Hollande’s comments came after France’s richest man, businessman Bernard Arnault, announced he was applying for Belgian citizenship.

Announcing the start of a two-year plan to fire up France’s faltering economy, Mr Hollande stood by his plans for the top tax bracket, which would be the highest marginal rate in the industrialised world.

“I am in a battle and will not look back,” he said. ‘

September 10, 2012 at 12:13 am

Go Serena.

61. September 10, 2012 at 12:16 am

yes, HuffPo, but important.

Mormons Baptized Obama’s Mother: CONFIRMED

It was unauthorized, blah blah blah. And I know Harry and the Udall brothers are Mormons, and are probably disgusted that this happened. But still, it’s just an unconscionable act of establishing your authority over someone who can’t respond.

• 219 susanne
      September 10, 2012 at 12:32 am

it is unconscionable; it is despicable; it is insulting. but it establishes no authority over anyone.

dead people are beyond the machinations of any human stupidity. the mormons have no more power over the deceased than do the worms in the coffins–barack obama’s mother cannot be touched by them.

having said that, the fact that they believe they have power over the dead, and over the afterlife, is megalomania, and/or carney sideshow humbug. ridiculous.

• 220 Sharon
        September 10, 2012 at 2:07 am

President Obama’s mother’s body was cremated and her ashes scattered in the ocean. Likewise his grandmother. Only his grandfather was buried in punchbowl’s military ceremony though all that does not seem to matter to some Mormans

62. September 10, 2012 at 12:25 am

• 222 No Child Left Behind
      September 10, 2012 at 12:45 am

Why don’t they baptize Paul Lying-Aynd? That would make more sense. They can even baptize the Mittens again for the all the lies he spews left and right.

63. September 10, 2012 at 12:27 am

Whoa.

September 10, 2012 at 12:34 am

September 10, 2012 at 3:56 am

Let’s see what the media have to say about the Obama campaign out raising more money than the other side.

• 235 FiredUpInCA
        September 10, 2012 at 4:20 am

They’re going to concern troll that it won’t be enough because of the August job numbers. You know the same “disappointing” August job numbers that are part of 30 consecutive months of job growth. The same August job growth that is better off than the August job picture 4 years ago. The same August job growth that exceeds the 10-year average of 78,000 added jobs.

September 10, 2012 at 12:34 am

September 10, 2012 at 12:35 am

September 10, 2012 at 12:37 am

68. 243 TrumpDog
    September 10, 2012 at 1:04 am

The good news just keeps coming. I need to catch my breath here. I’m thrilled for the Obama team. And us!

69. 244 99ts
    September 10, 2012 at 1:16 am

Nate Siver seems to have added some of the ppp polls – President Obama now has an 80.7% chance of winning the electoral vote with 51.6% of the popular vote

70. 246 susanne
    September 10, 2012 at 2:10 am

somebody linked to this earlier today (and thank you! love it!). just want to post this from the site’s sept 9 comments list:

‘ On another matter, one of my old students (I am not gonna say which country he/she is from) who is now doing a lot of internal polling of the Republicans for a polling firm tells me that the Republican numbers this week are looking really dismal in Ohio, Virginia and in particular in Wisconsin. Romney’s goose is well and truly cooked.

Tapen ‘

71. September 10, 2012 at 2:16 am

72. 248 cluny
    September 10, 2012 at 2:17 am

A big congratulations to everybody at TOD who has donated and worked so hard for PBO’s re election. It’s inspiring and truly admirable. I know that there are many non US citizens around the world, like me, who thank. Yes, we are terrified of further unhinged, destructive, Republican rule – plus we really like PBO.

73. 253 Smoothscotch
    September 10, 2012 at 2:27 am

Good night all, just checked in for the day. Don’t know if this was already posted the following, but here you go.Ihttp://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/09/09/1129570/-NEWS-Obama-Has-HUGE-Jump-in-Rasmussen-Poll-Bounce-Trounces-Job-Numbers

NEWS: Obama Has HUGE Jump in Rasmussen Poll: Bounce Trounces Job Numbers
    Sept. 9, 2012

It’s Sunday morning, and now we have Obama’s job approval numbers from Rasmussen, based on interviews done Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Remember that the job numbers came out first thing Friday morning, were reported all day Friday on TV and online, and were in the Saturday papers. How’s he doing?

Date                  Approval           Disapproval
    Sun. 9/9            52                     47
    Sat. 9/8             49                     50
    Fri. 9/7              47                     52
    Thurs 9/6          46                      54

This is an apples to apples comparison, and he went up each day, including today, indicating that the Obama bounce was not affected by Friday’s job numbers.

Nate Silver already was showing a strong bounce for Obama with the numbers that came in on Saturday, and with the four point lead in today’s Rasmussen head to head, that shows an average bounce of about 4 points across all four daily trackers. Nate’s analysis shows that with just numbers done after Wednesday night, the bounce appears to be closer to 8 points.

This morning’s big jump, combined with yesterday’s numbers, shows that, rather than the job numbers killing Obama’s bounce, it appears to be the other way ’round. The bounce trounces the job numbers.

OBAMA/BIDEN 2012

• 254 nathkatun7
      September 10, 2012 at 3:11 am

Thanks, Smoothscotch, for sharing the good news. I understand that Rasmussen always leans Republican. If these are the poll numbers he is reporting then our President is in a very good shape. At the same time, all of us who support the President must avoid the temptation of declaring easy victories. In politics, two months are a life time.Opinion polls come and go. The only polls that count are those we will cast on Nov. 6, 2012. Until then, we must remain vigilant. We must work hard to ensure that more people are registered and those registered show up to vote; and not just for President Obama, but also for Democrats in Congress and in state and local offices. This must be an election that will afford President Obama to govern effectively without incessant obstructionism.

• 255 jackiegrumbacher
        September 10, 2012 at 7:42 am

Your last line is so important, Nath. He has to be able to “govern without incessant obstruction” and with a Congress that actually cares about the country.

• 256 57andfemale
      September 10, 2012 at 7:48 am

Unfortunately there was a cooling in the gallup tracking: -2% approval, +2% disapproval. The non-stop barrage on the jobs numbers and the acceptance speech didn’t help.

We have to work to re-write the narrative on his speech. Call me crazy, but I thought it was an extremely substantive speech. We have not picked up the “citizenship” mantel anywhere near enough. I try to fold it into my tweets. I need to look at the speech and find the other narratives that need pushing.

I’m like everyone else — I get involved in using Romney’s extremely full plate of lies and gaffes. But it’s equally, if not more, important to carry PBO’s memes into public consciousness.

george Lakoff has been railing against the fact that Dem’s have ceded powerful, emotional words to the Republicans. ‘Freedom’ has lost all of its meaning, but it revs up the Republican base. We must claim ‘citizenship’ and help reinforce the President’s powerful message.

Unfortunately, I’m up against my tax extension deadline and can’t spend a ton of time the next few days. But let’s all try to work together to reclaim that powerful word and weave it into our support for PBO and use it as a club against R&R and the Republicans.

74. 257 TrumpDog
    September 10, 2012 at 2:56 am

I went to see my mom and she watches a lot of CNN. It’s had her worried, she said they make it seem like Obama is losing. I told her that’s not what I am seeing and based on polling in battleground states, he’s actually doing very well. She seemed reassured.

I haven’t watched the political shows in a long time. Are they really that bad? I know CNN is but what about the rest of the cable stations.

• 258 TrumpDog
      September 10, 2012 at 2:59 am

Wanted to add I hope CNN and other networks keep up their usual “everything is bad news for Obama!!!” meme. Seems to have an opposite effect.

Go Obama Biden 2012!

• 259 nathkatun7
      September 10, 2012 at 3:20 am

I don’t watch broadcast news, except for the occasional glance at local channels for weather and traffic information. Some of my family members are still diehard CNN watchers. They too think the President is in trouble. They were, however, very impressed with the Democratic convention. As much as I’ve tried, I still can’t convince them to watch less CNN. Thankfully, they will all vote for the President.

• 260 Zekke LyDonna
      September 10, 2012 at 5:43 am

Yes. CNN is that bad. I have all but given up. I no longer have the patience to spend time listening to their blather. The difference between the cogent, intelligent analysis on MSNBC, led by Rachel Maddow, and the light weight, insubstantial, Foxnewlite B.S. on CNN, was the difference between the candidacy of PBO vs Mitt-the-Liar. I hope I’ve made myself clear. I wouldn’t want you to get the wrong impression. :)

75. 261 anniebella
    September 10, 2012 at 3:50 am

Tedia have their reasons for pushing this Obama is in trouble narrative. Yes it will be a close race, but I believe the President has a good chance to win this election. Seems to me Romney is the one who is running his campaign like he is in trouble. Of course the media won’t say anything about that.

September 10, 2012 at 3:51 am

I meant to say the media have their reasons for pushing this narrative.

• 264 FiredUpInCA
      September 10, 2012 at 5:31 am

They’re running like third party fringe candidates now. Romney promising to keep “In God We Trust” on coins. Paul Ryan saying the President went to great lengths to increase gas prices.

A responsible media would step back and listen to, then ridicule what these two terrible candidates are actually saying 60 days prior to election day.

This is the sorriest campaign in modern memory and no I don’t believe it’s a close race. Our convention was too good for this thing to still be close. Our August fundraising outdid them. We have no entusiasm gap. We’re crazy about our party, our nominees and the prospect of winning back the House and holding on to the Senate.

You can’t tell me the listless people they prop up at the Romney for Plutocrat rallies are as equally motivated as we are.

76. 266 Zekke LyDonna
    September 10, 2012 at 4:12 am

77. 267 LOL
    September 10, 2012 at 5:30 am

SIREN SIREN SIREN

President Barack Obama and Democrats raised more than $114 million for his campaign in August, a campaign official says.

The total far exceeds Obama’s earlier monthly fundraising totals. He trailed Mitt Romney and Republicans in fundraising in July for the third straight month.

The official requested anonymity because the person was not authorized to discuss the numbers before they were officially announced.

78. 270 susanne
    September 10, 2012 at 6:19 am

‘ LIKE children eagerly awaiting Christmas, American media firms look forward to even-numbered years. Call it election affection. Every two years political campaigns spend billions of dollars on tasteful, fair-minded adverts.’ (snark)
    ~
    ‘ And where there is mud, there is moolah.

In addition to the presidential race this year, candidates are vying for 435 seats in the House of Representatives, 33 in the Senate, 11 governorships and countless local posts. In 2008 Barack Obama’s extraordinary fund-raising helped push spending on political ads to a record $4.2 billion.

Can we top that? Yes, we can. Some expect this year’s haul to be 23% higher, at $5.2 billion. ‘

79. 271 prettyfoot58
    September 10, 2012 at 7:19 am

Gooooooooooood Morning TOD…..GM Ms Chipsssssssss….

have a great day everyone….

80. September 10, 2012 at 7:34 am

We outraised Robney in August 114-111!

Fuck yeah!

81. 273 57andfemale
    September 10, 2012 at 7:39 am

Damn. Unfortunately there was some cooling in the Gallup tracking: -2 approval, +2 disapproval.

• 274 lisalovesobama
      September 10, 2012 at 7:42 am

Gallup…………. Ah, yeah…….. When everyone else is showing positive numbers, Gallup mysteriously found some negatives. Okay.

82. September 10, 2012 at 7:50 am

Andrea Mitchel talking about 2016, a whole report on it, which means it will likely end up in the Today Show and Nightly News.
    What is the fascination with 2016? I don’t get it?

• 280 dotster3
      September 10, 2012 at 8:17 am

I don’t get this daily obsession with Hillary Clinton by Andrea Mitchell and pals in the media. They tried to say that no one likes their candidate this time so they’re “starting” to think about 2016. No, Repubs don’t like their candidate. Dems LOVE theirs. I noticed even Ras finally had to admit that the “enthusiasm gap” has evened out with as many Dems stating their intention to vote as Repubs.

83. September 10, 2012 at 7:57 am

Remember, in August we had 1.1 million donations and raised 114 million.
    I just checked that clock in OFA and in 1 week, we have 778k, and we still have the beginning of the month to be counted and 20 more Days to be counted, for September.
    Total, we have raised 719 million.
    We may reach 1 billion afterall…
    So, Karl Rove can suck it!

84. September 10, 2012 at 8:13 am

But but but the Morning Crew made it seem like if we don’t get rid of SS and Medicare, we are all going to DIE…
    LOL! What a bunch of Bees wax.

85. 283 forus50
    September 10, 2012 at 8:13 am

The House is definitely in play. :) This is so important and I have been contributing to local races as much as possible. From a polling website:
    A long-term outlook based on conditions through mid-August (pre-Ryan/Akin/convention) shows a possible loss of control of the House by Republicans (Democratic takeover, 69% probability). The 2013 seat margin is headed to being narrower in either direction than the current Congress. An election based on today’s conditions would give Democrats 50-51 seats in the Senate and ~224 seats in the House — a knife’s edge in both chambers. This picture may change.

86. 284 dotster3
    September 10, 2012 at 8:23 am

• September 10, 2012 at 8:35 am

Paul Ryan only listens to Fox News, then sometimes they start to believe their own lies.
      Folks, it can never be understated at how much Fox News, has Screwed the American Electorate.

87. 286 dotster3
    September 10, 2012 at 8:35 am

Here’s Andrea Mitchell again, making the rounds, on the Today Show saying everyone is now thinking about 2016 and Hillary Clinton, saying Hillary is the Real Comeback Kid.

• September 10, 2012 at 8:40 am

She has to pick somebody, She cannot get behind the President fir obvious reasons(Hello)!
      So, She makes up this meme about Hillary in 2016. Hopefully, by then, Andrea would have left MSNBainC.

88. September 10, 2012 at 8:42 am

Andrea Mitchel left out a word or two, in get supposition.
    Nobody likes thes two Candidates? True! But, just in the Media…
    Yes! We all know the Media hates these 2 Candidates, we can tell.

RSS OFA