Sep

Rise and Shine

USA Today: President Obama’s campaign raised $114 million in August, edging Mitt Romney’s haul of $111.6 million and ending the Republican’s three month winning streak in the money race.

“The key to fighting back against the special interests writing limitless checks to support Mitt Romney is growing our donor base, and we did that substantially in the month of August,” said Jim Messina, Obama’s campaign spokesman.

The $114 million in August is a big spike for Obama, who had raised only $75 million in July.

….. The new fundraising totals come right after the Republican and Democratic conventions, and at a time when Obama is taking a lead over Romney in daily tracking polls.

More here

Cagle

Paul Krugman: Does anyone remember the American Jobs Act? A year ago President Obama proposed boosting the economy with a combination of tax cuts and spending increases, aimed in particular at sustaining state and local government employment….

…..The Jobs Act would have been just what the doctor ordered … But the bill went nowhere, of course, blocked by Republicans in Congress. And now, having prevented Mr. Obama from implementing any of his policies, those same Republicans are pointing to disappointing job numbers and declaring that the president’s policies have failed.

…. What about the argument, which I hear all the time, that Mr. Obama should have fixed the economy long ago? The claim goes like this: during his first two years in office Mr. Obama had a majority in Congress that would have let him do anything he wanted, so he’s had his chance.

The short answer is, you’ve got to be kidding.

As anyone who was paying attention knows, the period during which Democrats controlled both houses of Congress was marked by unprecedented obstructionism in the Senate …. what happens if the strategy of obstruct-and-exploit succeeds? Is this the shape of politics to come? If so, America will have gone a long way toward becoming an ungovernable banana republic.

Full article here

Morning everyone – a shorter Rise and Shine than usual, but I’ll have more in a while.

220 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 proudmemberofglobalzero
    September 10, 2012 at 8:34 am

Good Morning from Florida.

2. 4 NurseShar
    September 10, 2012 at 8:34 am

Morning TOD!

September 10, 2012 at 8:36 am

Good Monday Morning, Ms Chips! Good Morning TODville! GM & Congrats, PM! :lol:

4. September 10, 2012 at 8:38 am

G’morning Chips,TOD, everyone and congratulations to proudmember on # 1!

September 10, 2012 at 8:41 am

Thanks for the live stream video Chips. I watched part of it during DNC 2012 and Kal Penn was fantastic! The videos they showed, the celebrities that were interviewed live, the stories they told of their OFA volunteerism. It was freaking wonderful.

6. 9 dotster3
    September 10, 2012 at 8:44 am

I notice all the news services and newspaper accounts are not current with Willard’s flip flop flip. They are all running stories containing the MTP flip on Obamacare but must have gone to bed before the subsequent flop. It’s hard to keep up with Willard’s ever changing policies.

7. 11 Mariele K.
    September 10, 2012 at 8:45 am

Good Morning TOD! Fired Up…..Ready to GO!!!!!!

8. 12 Pamela
    September 10, 2012 at 8:45 am

6 comments!

September 10, 2012 at 8:46 am

Morning! Time to donate! Time to make calls! Times to push for all the Dems up and down the ticket! Time to get rid of the obstructionists in our midst!

10. 14 Geeja
    September 10, 2012 at 8:46 am

I am still trying to catch up but wanted to tell you Thank You for this site! The DNC Convention was so right on time. I am now more positive than ever that President Barack Obama will reamin in office! Obama Biden 2012!

11. September 10, 2012 at 8:48 am
  12. September 10, 2012 at 8:50 am

The cartoon showing the GOP blockade brings to mind a Reaganism the Obama campaign could use: “Tear down this wall of obstruction Mr. Boehner. Tear down this wall of obstruction Mr. McConnell. Free the American People.”

They won’t like it, but they deserve it!

September 10, 2012 at 8:53 am

Unlike the Republican platform, which has mostly been ignored outside of the abortion issue, the Paul Ryan budget is the core document of the 2012 campaign. It is the most explicit expression of the Republican agenda, endorsed by the party’s presidential candidate, Mitt Romney, and backed by decisive majorities of House and Senate Republicans.

That much is known. What people have not been talking about enough is that the Ryan budget contains an $897 billion sinkhole: massive but unexplained cuts in such discretionary domestic programs as education, food and drug inspection, workplace safety, environmental protection and law enforcement.

• September 10, 2012 at 11:02 am

This is critically important, desertflower. Thank you for posting it (and for providing some explanation – I rarely click on links unless I have some idea what they are going to be about).

EVERYONE here should know something about this smurky 920 allowance category.

14. September 10, 2012 at 8:55 am

Let me try this again. First try doesn’t seem to have worked.

The GOP blockade cartoon brings to mind a Reaganism the Obama campaign might want to consider: “Tear down this wall of obstruction Mr. Boehner. Tear down this wall of obstruction Mr. McConnell. Free the American People.”

They won’t like it. But they deserve it!

15. 25 57andfemale
    September 10, 2012 at 9:05 am

So here’s the scenario: Romney repeals Obamacare. But the ‘market’ likes coverage of pre-existing conditions. Romney hates regulations. So in order for the ‘market’ to provide coverage for pre-existing conditions, the deregulated insurance industry can charge you anything they want. that’s the ‘market at work’. If you’re so stupid and deficient as to be unable to afford the exorbitant premiums, well just ask the God of Kolab to help you.

God.

Bobfr, help me scale this down to a tweet.

September 10, 2012 at 9:06 am
      September 10, 2012 at 9:11 am

:) The entire world loves our President!

• 30 amk for obama
        September 10, 2012 at 9:27 am

I was travelling in the car behind it and had to take the pic with my cell phone in double quick time while the car was still moving slowly. Completely taken by surprise to see that sticker.

• September 10, 2012 at 9:37 am

TOO COOL for words!!

• 32 veryslowwriter
          September 10, 2012 at 12:06 pm

From what I remember of traffic in Nairobi, I would never have seen it. My eyes being squeezed shut in terror. (Actually liked Nairobi particularly the Norfolk Hotel. A classic. Stayed there several times.)

• 33 amk for obama
            September 10, 2012 at 12:12 pm

The traffic is much better now. I have been seeing constant improvements in Nairobi in the past 2 years I have been visiting. More flyovers and widening of roads etc.

I am staying in a shitty hotel right now but will be shifting to the better Jacaranda tomorrow since I got a pretty good deal. Hotels are friggin’ expensive due to the friggin’ tourist crowd..

• September 10, 2012 at 9:52 am

Love this amk! I drive 32 miles one way to work everyday and I get so excited to see an Obama bumper sticker on a car near me. I have not seen many Romney stickers, but when I do I make sure I pass them so they can see my Obama 2012 magnet on my truck tailgate and my Women for Obama sticker in my backwindow.

• September 10, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I do the same thing, Jackie. My commute is about 50 miles each way, and I love getting in front of the Romney stickers (as few and far between as they are), and also getting in front of fellow Obama supporters, so we can revel in the companionship. That’s becoming more and more frequent!

17. September 10, 2012 at 9:07 am

It’s hard to imagine getting through these campaigning times, psychically and spiritually, without theObamaDiary. A supportive context is near about essential for empowered living and good political behaviors amongst the citizens. yes. xoxox Thank you, Chips, for having this idea, creating it, sticking it out [ohmygod] and being such an extraordinary example of an intelligent and jolly good leader. awesome.

18. September 10, 2012 at 9:08 am

Good morning, glories, a laugher to start the day:

19. September 10, 2012 at 9:09 am
  20. September 10, 2012 at 9:14 am

College Kids on the Street Corner holding up Obama 2012 signs.
    About Ten of them, 1 sign us gigantic, so I Beeped my horn…

September 10, 2012 at 9:14 am
  22. 50 japa21
    September 10, 2012 at 9:22 am

Okay folks, get ready to party. I have noticed that the average daily hits for TOD is up significantly. I have also noticed a lot more first timers doing posts and I know there have to be a lot of new lurkers.
    What this means is that we will hit the 13 million mark a lot faster than we did the 12 million. In fact, it will be this week. Chips, load up on your cheese curls, amk, get the gin ready. A lot of $13 donations about to pour into PBO’s coffers.
    And as far as the fund raising figures, remember, those figures do not reflect the money that undoubtedly rained down during and after the convention. The September figures will be off the charts.

23. 62 JER
    September 10, 2012 at 9:27 am
    • 63 99ts
      September 10, 2012 at 9:38 am

But has he gone on MSM TV to tell his followers of this change – or what it just a minor press release picked up by online news sources? The way the R&R campaign tries to confuse the American People is evil – just plain evil.

• 66 amk for obama
      September 10, 2012 at 9:42 am

mittbot is a fricking lying coward.

• 67 Ladyhawke
      September 10, 2012 at 9:51 am

Gotta love AXE. Mitt Romney just executed another flawless flip-flop with a triple axle. Not only did he nail it, I think the flip-flop reversal speed may have broken a record. Mitt Romney is the flip flopper extraordinaire. He takes being wishy washy to a whole new level. It’s a sight to behold.

• 68 57andfemale
        September 10, 2012 at 10:55 am

What was so interesting about this new Mittens debacle — it needed no comment. You just had to repeat what Mitt said — and said — and said. It tells the whole story.

• 69 Ladyhawke
          September 10, 2012 at 11:30 am

Excellent point 57. I am wondering how big a challenge this will be for our ace reporters in the mainstream media to debunk Romney’s sleight of hand. He gets crap out into the ether then backtracks with the express purpose of confusing the American people and muddying the waters. Unfortunately, too many in the media are too lazy to dig deep and expose Romney’s duplicity. But I have seen some good reporting by Kevin Drum, Jonathan Chait and Jonathan Cohn so far. It would be great if more reporters followed their lead. The Romney-Ryan campaign just seems to be in shambles. It’s unbelievable to see this not so dynamic duo running for president and vp. SMDH

• 70 theo67
            September 10, 2012 at 12:49 pm

The thing is, the strategy might help to confuse people, but it’s not leading. To lead, people have to buy into your vision, and want to go where you’re taking them. Willard’s only advantage is that his supporters hate President Obama. Hate does not grow things; it only breaks them down. It consumes. And with two months of greater visibility, Romney is going to be presented to the American public as who he is, finally, and he’ll be standing beside President Obama when this happens. The month of October is going to be very exciting. We need to front load our donations as soon as possible, so that October can be blanketed with positive messages from the Obama campaign – both on the ground and on the airwaves.

• 71 57andfemale
            September 10, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Progressive reporting on this has been great. The problem is the nightly news, which is all that many people listen to. THAT’s where the battle is.

• September 10, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Probably everyone has a colleague (or family member) like this: You just let them talk and – eventually – they will contradict themselves.

24. 74 kathryn kivett
    September 10, 2012 at 9:28 am

Really off topic….Feeling technically challenged so……How do you refresh the diary QUICKLY to the latest posts w/o having to wait forever….is there a trick I’m missing….thanks for help in advance..

25. 87 Melissa
    September 10, 2012 at 9:33 am

So much good news and good feel stories for our President (although love the enthusiastic love from the Pizza shop owner for POTUS, very ambivalent about letting ppl ★that★ close to him)!! Let’s keep up the pressure, register ppl, inform, make calls, go door to door, donate! To use a sports analogy, we’re ahead but time to run up the score! Lets make sure the other side never catch up!

• September 10, 2012 at 9:46 am

I think The Big Lift is a very big campaign moment that is going viral and helping PBO, but I’m shocked that the SS approved it and let that happen. I know it was all in good fun and you can’t help but feel the guy’s tremendous excitement, but it also sends a bad signal that people can get very close in PBO’s personal space and overwhelm him. That makes me nervous.

• 89 Vicki
        September 10, 2012 at 9:59 am

The NYTimes had “the big lift” pic on its front page. This is truly remarkable when you realize that PBO signing the ACA in March of 2010 was consigned to page 15. I was never as upset as that day when I realized that the “paper of record” HA! only records the corporate agenda.

The uplifitng happy shot of President Obama lifted off his feet by an enthusiastic supporter was such a happy surprise this morning and one more good thing in addition to the fundraising $$$$ and favorable polls.

• 90 Mae who love our CIC
          September 10, 2012 at 11:41 am

The bear bug and lift was a direct response to the President. The pizza owner said that it was like greeting a friend who you had not seen in a while. The SS, had already like they always do vetted the owner and his establishment. The pizza owner is a very likable guy responding to the exurberance of our President.

• 92 Melissa
        September 10, 2012 at 10:05 am

Me too Meta, it was great as a one time thing but the SS should make it a habit to approve such requests, no matter the enthusiasm. Unfortunately, There a lot of bad ppl out there..

• 93 Melissa
          September 10, 2012 at 10:07 am

Oops, should *NOT* make it a habit..

• 94 Dudette
          September 10, 2012 at 10:28 am

I agree Melisa. I don’t want people thinking they can just walk up to my President and man-handle him, no matter how well-intended.

• 95 Pamela
            September 10, 2012 at 10:39 am

Except for me, dudette, right? I can man-handle, or woman-handle him…. Wait a minute Pamela, where are you going with this??? :lol:

• 96 Dudette
              September 10, 2012 at 1:26 pm

As much as I like to fantasize about my PBO, except for a hug when he offers one, the woman-handling isn’t really cool either. We’ve got the naughty mat, remember? ;-)

But actual grope-age is a No-No, (and let’s be honest) pretty disrespectful.

…I’m talking to YOU ladies in that San Francisco restaurant who pinched my President’s butt! Shame on you, wanton hussies!!

• 97 57andfemale
      September 10, 2012 at 10:57 am

I loved the comment from the SS: “It’s okay as long as you don’t walk away with him”.

26. 100 Ladyhawke
    September 10, 2012 at 9:36 am

REPUBLICANS FOR OBAMA

‘Extremists’ chase some Republicans toward Obama

By Sean Lengell

———————————–

John Martin loves the GOP and wants to remain a Republican. But the party he grew up supporting has changed, he said, and Mitt Romney is doing nothing to keep his loyalty.

The Republican presidential nominee lacks the will or desire to stand up to “extremists” who have gained a sturdy foothold in the party, Mr. Martin said, and President Obama is far from the socialist demon portrayed by GOP leaders.

For that, the politically active New Jersey resident said, he will vote for Mr. Obama.

“I’m just very unhappy with the state of today’s party,” said Mr. Martin, who heads a group and website called Republicans for Obama. “Although Gov. Romney would have been a great candidate, the Mitt Romney we see today is too beholden to the party’s [conservative] base and to the hard right.”

————————————-

more common sense here …..

27. 101 edp4bho
    September 10, 2012 at 9:41 am

Good morning folks. I will post this for all PBO supporters. I’ve mentioned in the past that I listen to talk radio, especially during the day. And once in a great while, I tune in curiously to nutjob radio. The meme today was RR not making best use of his campaign as for talking points; God and Jerusalem: and of course the ever-present demonization of the President of the United States, with the cry that RR got no bounce from the nutjob convention, but that PBO did. (I’m beginning to think that PBO got the bounce not only from the Dem convention, but also as fall-out from the awful nutjob one.) But- the big reveal was from Ed Rendell. Now, we are by now suspicious of his ass, but we can be sure now that he DOES NOT have PBO’s back- AT ALL! Check my synopsis:

Note: these statements were all from prompts from the nutjob host-

- Ann Romney, Michelle Obama, and Bill Clinton gave the best speeches
    - PBO and JB gave more moderate speeches, not soaring
    - If Romney would run like the governor he was, and not as he is doing, he could still be in play in the western suburbs of Pennsylvania
    - PBO naively and with hubris thought he could work in bi-partisanship in DC
    - Don’t count Pennsylvania out, look at debates with an open mind
    - Super pacs will still be running ads in Pennsylvania
    - Says “maybe” Clinton meant all he said at the convention

A couple of concessions:

PBO had enormous issues confronting him when he came in (but, when asked if someone else could have done better, ER alluded to some football analogy, in essence saying probably so.) Said FDR did not alleviate the depression in only 4 years.
    On some issue about God and Jerusalem, said to PBO’s credit, he did include Jerusalem in his speech (I don’t recall this, need to review)

On end, the host asked if he would return, ER said yes. Host then appeases his audience by saying ER did not sound like a flag-waver for PBO, there’s something there unspoken.

So, instead of using the horn he has to rail against voter suppression and the continual lying by the R camp, he is trying to sell a book, and will throw PBO under that proverbial bus to do just that. He will be toast in Philly, so he’d best hope he can go national for any political seat in the future.
    Sorry the post is so lengthy. My bad !!

• 102 Linda
      September 10, 2012 at 9:48 am

Ed Rendell’s phone number was in the DC Madame black book.

I am convinced of it….

• 105 57andfemale
      September 10, 2012 at 10:59 am

Yeah. PA’s ours. My friends in rural PA say a lot of the blue collar workers they work with do not trust Romney when it comes to manufacturing jobs.

• 106 jackiegrumbacher
      September 10, 2012 at 12:20 pm

There is no political seat for Rendell in the future. He’s done; finished. He’s offended so many Democrats, he would have to run as a Republican and he would see where that would get him. I have nothing but contempt for this turncoat. There’s no question in my mind that he’s getting a pretty chunk from the Romney treasury. His out and out hatred of PBO borders on something ugly. He’s a disgrace to the state and to his country.

28. 107 relellit
    September 10, 2012 at 9:45 am

Good morning Chips and TOD ville :)

HaHa :lol: Romney has now morphed into a socialist. So if a person is say 70 and their parents are still living they’ll still be on their parents insurance; providing of course theier parents are alive.

You don’t know how glad I am President Obama takes lead in Gallup polling. This means more people are paying attention to GOP LIES and bigotry.

29. September 10, 2012 at 9:49 am

Mitt Romney’s pollster says reporters shouldn’t overestimate the significance of Obama’s post-convention polling lead.

LOL! LMAO!

30. September 10, 2012 at 10:00 am

photo/1

31. September 10, 2012 at 10:01 am
  32. 113 Ladyhawke
    September 10, 2012 at 10:03 am

Reflections on DNC 2012: Wherever This Flag’s Flown

By Thomas Davis

—————

Every speech I heard this week reminded me that once again the American people have risen to the occasion, declaring that enough is enough. We’ve had enough insults about a food stamp President. We’ve heard enough about birth certificates. We’ve heard enough about fictitious voter fraud. We’ve heard enough that Democrats don’t believe in individual initiative.

This week it was time to change the conversation back to what our country and its people are all about.

From the Honorable Antonio R. Villaraigosa’s call to order to Bill Clinton’s reminder that “advancing equal opportunity and economic empowerment is both morally right and good economics,” to his review of the recent economy to Gabrielle Giffords’ gripping walk across that stage with Chairwoman Wasserman-Schultz to lead us all in the Pledge of Allegiance, my own faith in the higher good and the importance of my very own role, one among many, in the bigger scheme of things has been reignited.

———————-

33. September 10, 2012 at 10:06 am

Congress back in session and they will Vite on a meaningless bill.
    The No more Solyndras Act…

Can you believe it?

• 115 Linda
      September 10, 2012 at 10:08 am

hahahahaa…that is hilarious….

September 10, 2012 at 10:11 am

And say no to ACA again? # 34 is a charm!

• September 10, 2012 at 10:14 am

Whatever!!!-

Congress returns to Washington this week after a monthlong recess, and Republicans in the House are planning to pick up where they left off — bashing Amtrak.

The House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee will hold a hearing Tuesday about the effect of Amtrak’s “monopoly mentality” on commuter rail service in the United States. Amtrak was set up by Congress to be the national passenger rail service in 1971, and receives about $1 billion in subsidies.

House Transportation Committee Chairman John Mica (R-Fla.) has frequently called for privatizing rail service in Amtrak’s  most profitable corridor, the Northeast. Prior to the congressional recess, Mica sharply criticized Amtrak for the cost of its onboard concession program, including a memorable trip to a McDonald’s near Capitol Hill to demonstrate that fast-food burgers cost $1.

• September 10, 2012 at 11:42 am
    September 10, 2012 at 10:08 am
    September 10, 2012 at 10:09 am
    September 10, 2012 at 10:10 am
  37. September 10, 2012 at 10:14 am
  38. 124 cluny
    September 10, 2012 at 10:17 am

The pizza guy is being shown on TV here in Australia and also in Europe. Everybody loves to see love for PBO. Also big congratulations to all at TOD for helping boost the campaign fundraising and doing so many other good things (volunteering, etc) to get PBO re elected.

39. 125 Linda
    September 10, 2012 at 10:20 am

Nate Silver’s FiveThirtyEight Now-cast: 83% chances of an Obama Victory!!!!

40. September 10, 2012 at 10:20 am

Details for former President Bill Clinton’s stop to rally support for President Barack Obama’s re-election campaign have been announced.
    Clinton will speak at the Rosen Plaza in International Drive Wednesday, Sept. 12. Doors for the event open at 4:30 p.m. and you must have a ticket to get in.

September 10, 2012 at 10:22 am

I used to be a serious Republican, moderate and business-oriented, who planned for a public-service career in Republican politics. But I am a Republican no longer.

There’s an old joke we Republicans used to tell that goes something like this: “If you’re young and not a Democrat, you’re heartless. If you grow up and you’re not a Republican, you’re stupid.” These days, my old friends and associates no doubt consider me the butt of that joke. But I look on my “stupidity” somewhat differently. After all, my real education only began when I was 30 years old.

This is the story of how in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina and later in Iraq, I discovered that what I believed to be the full spectrum of reality was just a small slice of it and how that discovery knocked down my Republican worldview.

42. 132 kathryn kivett
    September 10, 2012 at 10:23 am

OMG! this woman on Chris Jansen that is R/R spokesperson is the most obnoxious biddy that hasn’t answered a question yet….I sat here right by myself and yelled “SHUT UP’”….actually I added a few other words to that but……She was like on something her mouth was going so fast and wouldn’t even take a breath…

43. 137 Ladyhawke
    September 10, 2012 at 10:27 am

Mitt Temporarily Forgets Plan to Screw the Sick

By Jonathan Chait

—————————

n any case, trying to analyze Romney’s comments about preexisting conditions as though they’re a genuine policy goal misses the point. It’s a campaign ploy. Romney is committed to fully repealing Obamacare. But since Obamacare contains a lot of popular provisions — indeed, most of them are popular — that puts Romney in the position of wanting to let insurers exclude people who are sick and do all sorts of other nasty things he’d rather not have to defend. His solution is to come up with a line that sounds like a promise to protect people with preexisting conditions, but isn’t. Indeed, it sounds so much like a promise to protect people with preexisting conditions that Romney himself forgot to add the requisite wording that rendered the pledge meaningless.

————————-

44. September 10, 2012 at 10:30 am

Hidee Ho to all my O’s!!!!!! A glorious great getting up day again on our hands in TODdytown. Did Romney get a new campaign adviser? There’s a Tara Wall on Alex Witt’s show described as his Sr. Adviser. She’s an AA female who went to the Rove school of overtalk and never put a period on the end of any sentence. Interesting, I’d say. This may be her debut, but not very impressive, because of the attack dog attitude. Oh well, maybe she won’t make as many stupid etch-a-sketch remarks.

My political take today is good news on the donation front from our team for August. Let’s keep up the good work! That, added to the GOTV effort will make for a very successful Nov 6. When do they start calling the race? The east coast first right? Well, I plan to be toasting our win by 10pm cst. Oh, did I skip the debate thingy, that happens first?

45. 141 khyber jones
    September 10, 2012 at 10:34 am

These are great photos and local headlines. The underrated story of the week is the enthusiasm the President generated on his bus trip through Florida that went through swing districts, GOP districts and Dem districts. That pizza owner’s bear hug alone pushed the President’s numbers up by a point.

46. 142 Ladyhawke
    September 10, 2012 at 10:38 am

DAVID GREGORY’S LOVE-IN WITH THE ROMNEYS AND THE DECLINE OF MTP.

MTP question: Is David Gregory a journalist or the Official Mitt Romney Fluffer?

——————————-

You might think this is an exaggeration – but you’d be wrong. Here are two actual questions Gregory asked of Mittens:

Gregory brandishes a “Bin Laden is Dead. GM is Alive” bumpersticker, and Romney lays down his line of bullshit on GM (if only they had gone into bankruptcy when Mitt said to do it, we’d have saved $20 billion). Gregory’s follow-up: “What would the Romney/Ryan bumpersticker be?”. Every reporter should hang their head in shame when this guy is called a journalist.

[...] Gregory is just unable to ask a follow up. He asks about Clinton, Mitt gives the answer quoted above, which just begs you to ask about one of the dozens of criticisms Clinton made in that speech, and Gregory’s next question is “What’s it like to be the first Mormon running for President?”

Damn the liberal media — so unfair to the Republican Party!

————————————–

September 10, 2012 at 10:43 am

George had to respond to a call from his lawyer who insisted that they meet at once. He arrived at his lawyer’s firm, and was ushered into his office.

“Do you want the bad news first or the terrible news?” the lawyer asked.

“Well, if those are my choices, I guess I’ll take the bad news first.”

“Your wife found a picture worth a million dollars.”

“That’s the bad news?” George was stunned? “If you call that bad, I can’t wait to hear the terrible news.”

“The terrible news is that it’s of you and your secretary.”

September 10, 2012 at 10:49 am

Have any of you guyz ever had a fresh corn, roasted slowly over coal fire and then applied with salt and really, really hawt, hawt chilli powder with a lime wedge ?

Well, I am having it right now in Nairobi and it’s fab with my G&T.

49. September 10, 2012 at 10:50 am

I’m acting like an awestruck teenager here at work today – things like OMG, I went in the same back door as PBO and FLOTUS did on Friday when they were at the University of Iowa, in MY building. They went up the same stairs from the backdoor that I take every day – wow, I’m touching the same handrail that they did. Unfortunately, it’s a building from 1923 and the restrooms aren’t the nicest – but I’ll bet they even used those! When I got here this morning, all of our office doors were closed – probably courtesy of the Secret Service sweep through here. Overall, I’d give the experience an “A” for “AWESOME”!

50. 154 Ladyhawke
    September 10, 2012 at 11:01 am

A GOP ticket divided against itself

By Steve Benen

————————

To recap, as part of last year’s debt-ceiling crisis, instigated by Republicans, policymakers accepted over $1 trillion in cuts that would be implemented if the so-called supercommittee failed. Democrats weren’t completely willing to roll over — they wanted to create an incentive for Republicans to work in good faith. Republicans agreed: if the committee failed, the GOP would accept defense cuts and Dems would accept non-defense domestic cuts. (Dems originally asked for automatic tax increases; Republicans balked and offered to slash Pentagon spending instead.)
    I suppose the follow-up question for the Republican presidential nominee is, if this was such a bad idea, why did your party come up with it? And if you consider it such a horrible mistake, why’d you invite the guy who heralded this mistake onto your national ticket?

—————————–

51. September 10, 2012 at 11:03 am

ADEN (Reuters) – Yemeni armed forces have killed Said al-Shehri, a man seen as the second-in-command of Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), a government website said on Monday.

The Ministry of Defense website said Shehri was a Saudi national who was killed, along with six other militants, in any army operation in the remote Hadramout province in eastern Yemen. It gave no more details.

The United States has used unmanned drones to target AQAP, which has planned attacks on international targets including airliners and is described by Washington as the most dangerous wing of al Qaeda.

September 10, 2012 at 11:12 am

Said al-Shihri, described as the second-in-command of al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, is killed in an operation in Yemen, officials say.

• 159 cookemom
      September 10, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I’m thinking I’d rather be way further down the ladder in this group. The number two person seems to be replaced quite often and is never on the job long enough to get that promotion.

53. 160 Ladyhawke
    September 10, 2012 at 11:17 am

THE RECOVERY ACT WORKED

‘Everything people think they know about the stimulus is wrong’

by Ezra Klein

————————————-

EK: You have this great scene in the book where Rep. Pete Sessions, head of the House Republicans campaign committee, is giving a presentation, and he says that the purpose of the majority is to govern and the purpose of the minority is to get back into power. In a sense, that seems like the last three years in a nutshell. Sessions is, i think, right. But when you think about that in terms of the American political system, with its staggered elections and divided governments and the filibuster, you understand exactly why the political system is working so poorly.

MG: I should say, I wasn’t the first to report that. The New York Times had that first. But it also goes to the idea that Obama campaigned as this change-the-system outsider and governed as this work-the-system insider. It’s ugly. It leads to catfish subsidies in the stimulus. And it creates the kind of sense of deflation, where the tyranny of 60 votes in the Senate drives so much of the actual mechanics of politics in Washington, but he made a decision, which was that bills that don’t get 60 votes don’t get change. And Republicans made a smart decision, which was that rather than making bipartisan legislation more to their liking, they’d just make it as difficult and ugly as possible for Obama to get his legislation. There’s a moment when a senior Senate Republican tells me everything is going swimmingly for the Republicans. This is after the 2010 elections. And I say, well, but Obama got the stimulus and this clean energy revolution and health-care reform and all this other stuff, and he kind of pauses and says, “yeah, we regret that.”

—————————————-

The full interview with The New New Deal author Michael Grunwald is here ……

54. 162 Linda
    September 10, 2012 at 11:25 am

Does anyone know how c-span decides what they cover on book TV ? This weekend was a right wing festival of hate books about President Obama and Democrats

I am curious.

September 10, 2012 at 11:26 am

photo/1

56. 164 kathryn kivett
    September 10, 2012 at 11:34 am

There is a virus that has cold like symptoms, but worse, going all over NC…I have it..my Granddaughter in another town…and my friend’s whole family in yet another town….we all live around Charlotte….I hope all those people at Convention don’t take it to all your states…WASH YOUR HANDS….Purell it……..oh, well, at least it gives me an excuse to be TOD addicted….

57. September 10, 2012 at 11:34 am
  58. 166 Ladyhawke
    September 10, 2012 at 11:38 am

Fox Keeps Pushing Reagan Myth-Making About Unemployment

By ERIC BOEHLERT

————————–

Attacking President Obama for not doing enough to lower the country’s unemployment rate, Fox News’ Greg Jarrett and Brenda Buttner insisted on Sunday that when faced with a similar type of economic crisis in his first term, Ronald Reagan turned around the country’s job rate in just four years.
    And as Media Matters has pointed out in the past, the Reagan recovery was powered by a large increase in government spending and the Federal Reserve lowering interest rates; the latter solution is not currently available with rates already at zero.

Fox talkers lament that Obama isn’t more like Reagan who heroically lowered the unemployment before seeking re-election, according to their telling. But the truth is, Obama’s track record looks a lot like Reagan’s, and in some ways, given the immediate jobs crisis Obama had to deal with, it’s more impressive.

———————————–

59. 167 JER
    September 10, 2012 at 11:39 am
  60. 168 Ladyhawke
    September 10, 2012 at 11:42 am

Bill Clinton: GOP Voter Suppression Laws a Sign of Desperation

By Ari Berman

—————–

And, as Clinton told student activists at the Campus Progress conference last year, the GOP is responding to that growing diversity not by courting minority voters but by making it harder for them to cast a ballot. Said Clinton in July 2011:

“One of the most pervasive political movements going on outside Washington today is the disciplined, passionate, determined effort of Republican governors and legislators to keep most of you from voting next time. There has never been in my lifetime, since we got rid of the poll tax and all the other Jim Crow burdens on voting, the determined effort to limit the franchise that we see today.…

“Why is all this going on? This is not rocket science. They are trying to make the 2012 electorate look more like the 2010 electorate than the 2008 electorate.”

How successful Republicans are at this voter suppression effort will be one of the major factors that determines the outcome of the 2012 election.

————————

61. 172 auni
    September 10, 2012 at 11:47 am

I got one of those forwarded email videos about President Obama being Muslim. It’s really bad, BUT Snopes is all over it. The great thing is I forwarded it to all of my Democratic friends with a note to check Snopes, and the response is terrific. I am getting replies from people that are SO mad about the crazy thinking of the far right–they are just sputtering. It’s being forwarded by my friends with attached notes about how important it is to fight back against this crazy talk. It just fires people up to realize what we are dealing with here–ignorance and prejudice. The whole thig is backfiring on them.

September 10, 2012 at 11:50 am
  63. September 10, 2012 at 11:52 am

Check your email TODers!

First off, thank you.

Thank you for being a leader in this campaign, and for all you’re doing day in and day out to make sure we have the chance to finish what we started.

I wouldn’t be here without folks like you, and we certainly won’t win without your critical work on the ground — talking to voters, recruiting other volunteers, and building the neighborhood teams that we’re counting on to get out the vote in the home stretch.

It’s here, so let’s get together and get fired up to win this thing. I’m hosting a video conference call with volunteer leaders like you this Wednesday, September 12th, at 7:30 p.m. Eastern Time — click here to join me.

I started out as a community organizer myself, so I know it’s not easy work.

I know you’re taking valuable time away from family and friends to help with this cause, but here’s why it’s worth it: Every new voter you register, every door you knock on, and every person you call will make a difference.

Despite the unprecedented outside spending coming at us, we can win this because of the grassroots movement you’re building all across the country.

I wish I got to say thank you for that more often, so I hope you’ll join me on Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. Eastern Time:

Thanks, and I’ll talk to you then.

Barack

64. 177 Ladyhawke
    September 10, 2012 at 12:12 pm

For the Romney campaign, it’s forever 1980

By Greg Sargent

—————————

Romney campaign pollster Neil Newhouse is out with a new memo arguing that despite whatever convention bounce Obama is getting, Mitt Romney is going to win the presidential race. The crux of his case is that the Obama economy is simply too horrible for the President to have any chance at reelection — and that the campaign will unfold as the 1980 campaign did:
    It is stunning that the Romney campaign continues to rely on this flawed historical comparison. First, the polling. Despite the mythologizing to the contrary, Gallup polling shows that Reagan was leading Carter heading into the conventions.
    Ed Rollins, who worked on the Reagan campaign in 1980, notes yet another key difference: Romney is not Reagan, and Obama is not Carter. As Rollins says of Romney: “On his best day, he’s not a Ronald Reagan.” Carter was partly undone because of his debate performance; that’s less likely to happen to Obama.

———————————

• 178 amk for obama
      September 10, 2012 at 12:22 pm
    • 179 FiredUpInCA
      September 10, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Baghdad Neil says in his memo “Don’t get worked up about the latest polling,” In other words, ‘I beg of you, please do not believe your lying eyes and the mountain of data coming in from multiple sources saying our ticket is tanking while Obama/Biden is surging.’

Then he says “While some voters will feel a bit of a sugar high from the conventions… ” I have to cut you off right there Neil. Did you say conventions, as in plural? Nope. The fact is your voters did not feel a ‘sugar high,’ after your convention. It was more of an acid reflux low. A negative bounce. A concave. A dud.

I’ll give you credit. In your memo, you did get one thing right: “The basic structure of the race has not changed significantly.” That is true. Mitt Romney still cosmically sucks. Romney is still trailing just as he was before the convention and before his disastrous VP pick. He still has still not been able to fire up his base which is why he is running around talking about keeping “In God We Trust” on coins.

Because Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan are such terrible, human beings, who lack empathy–even though both have been fortunate in their lives–their impending landslide loss will be poetic justice and a warning to others to never run a campaign that is so dishonest and cynical.

• 180 57andfemale
      September 10, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Yeah, they said the same thing about FDR in 1936 and 1940.

Hey, we can’t get complacent for a second, but everyone here knows that. But Reagan & Clinton didn’t have to crawl out of the deep morass that PBO did, with an unprecedented lack of citizenship and patriotism on the part the opposition party. And it’s still better. And we still have ACA, and Fair Pay, and better fuel standards and more alternative fuels, less war, less Al-Qaeda, respect in the world.

If the guy wasn’t black, he’d be at 80% approval. But his reelection will bring us closer to the 21st century as it should be.

65. 181 kathryn kivett
    September 10, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Alex Witt is on fire today!

• 182 dotster3
      September 10, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Do you mean Alex Wagner? She’s actually been great lately. Witt is only on on the weekends, as far as I know.

• 183 kathryn kivett
        September 10, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Yes,,,sorry

• 184 cookemom
        September 10, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Alex is on now, but Alex Witt was on earlier today. She’s on during the week-end, but often does the 9am hour at times. I think they’re still trying to figure out who to put there. That hour is like musical chairs.

• 185 Ladyhawke
        September 10, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Thanks dotster3. You beat me to the punch. I was going to ask for some clarification because I find Alex WITT unwatchable. I have my moments with Alex WAGNER. But it did occur to me that kathryn was probably referring to Alex Wagner.

My favorite three women political analysts are Karen Finney, Krystal Ball and Joy Ann Reid. Their political commentary is always interesting and insightful. I would love to see them with their own show instead of the cycle I just can’t tolerate.

• 186 kathryn kivett
          September 10, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Don’t like Cycle either..except Krystal Ball…maybe I’ll wash those windows then….going to grocery store during Andrea….bye!

• 187 57andfemale
        September 10, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Alex Wagner is great, except on her own show. On Bill Maher, she’s fabulous. Which goes to show the pressure from the Front Office.

66. September 10, 2012 at 12:26 pm

This is hilarious…Joy Behar at her best

September 10, 2012 at 12:28 pm

BBC

Obama beats Romney’s August cash haul

68. 194 Suzette
    September 10, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Good morning all.

Which is stronger 317,000 @ $58 each or 100 @ $1,000,000 each
    Ding, Ding, you are correct.

Obama/Biden 2012

• 195 cookemom
      September 10, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Gosh, nobody told me that there would be a test. I would have studied, maybe….or at the very least would have brought my calculator.

September 10, 2012 at 12:34 pm
    • 197 99ts
      September 10, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Couldn’t happen too soon – Husted getting attacked on all sides of the law – the GOP thinks it owns the legal system – yet another reason to vote against them.

70. 198 Rita
    September 10, 2012 at 12:35 pm

“Perhaps Romney thought that it would be rude, or unpleasant, to tell people directly that he was going to hurt them—and kinder to act like it would all be fine. That might be in character, though someone has to tell Romney that promising people that they will still have coverage when they won’t is not as acceptable as telling someone she looks nice in a dress when she doesn’t.” – Amy Davidson on Mitt Romney’s remarks to David Gregory on “Meet the Press” about healthcare reform and coverage for those with a pre-existing condition.

71. 199 Ladyhawke
    September 10, 2012 at 12:36 pm

LORD AND LADY ROMNEY MEET THE PRESS

The GOP nominee immerses David Gregory in a lukewarm bath of platitudes, a couple of lies and a splash of news

By Joan Walsh

———————————

Other than that, Romney’s half-hour with Gregory was like sitting in still-warm reused bathwater, with a film of half-truths and a couple of outright lies in the tub too. Ann Romney was present for the first half, mostly looking on worshipfully. The first spouse to accompany her presidential candidate hubby to “Meet the Press,” she wasn’t much of a factor, though she pushed back against claims that even after her convention speech proclaimed “I love you women!” people aren’t feeling much empathy from her or her husband.
    Other than that, Romney hit Gregory with a fog of vague claims that can’t be confirmed. He cited “five different economic studies, including one at Harvard and Princeton and AEI and a couple at The Wall Street Journal,” that showed he wouldn’t have to raise taxes on the middle class to reduce taxes on the wealthy. But three are by conservative economists and the “couple at the Wall Street Journal” seem to be op-eds written on the Harvard and AEI studies. All of them, by the way, note that without knowing exactly which “tax loopholes” Romney would close, they can’t really predict the effect of his budget. To his credit, Gregory asked Romney twice which loopholes he would close, but Romney dodged him both times, and Gregory failed to push again. (Over on ABC, Paul Ryan likewise ducked George Stephanopoulous on the same question.)

————————————-

More eviscerating of Lovey and Thurston Howell here………………

• 200 cookemom
      September 10, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Harvard and Princeton? What kind of elite, marxist socialist communist would pay any attention to a study by those ivory tower liberal brain washing people? Why would Mittiful deliberately insult his base?

72. 201 Linda perry
    September 10, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Fired up and ready to go. Will make calls today after work.
    I volunteered last week at the convention. It was fun.

73. September 10, 2012 at 12:41 pm
    • 205 Rita
      September 10, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Scum of the earth! Check this out: ““We went down into the Library of Congress and we found a microfiche there of two newspapers in Hawaii each of which had published the birth of Barack Obama. It would have been awfully hard to fraudulently file the birth notice of Barack Obama being born in Hawaii and get that into our public libraries and that microfiche they keep of all the newspapers published. That doesn’t mean there aren’t some other explanations on how they might’ve announced that by telegram from Kenya. The list goes on. But drilling into that now, even if we could get a definitive answer and even if it turned out that Barack Obama was conclusively not born in America, I don’t think we could get that case sold between now and November.”

And Lady Romney goes on MTP to complain about Romney being ‘demonized.’ Cry me a river!

• 206 Nena20409
        September 10, 2012 at 12:55 pm

With all the crap and nonsense the Obamas have endured, has anyone heard either pres Obama or Mrs. Obama complained? Not One time.

Ann Romney seriously, go back to planet Kolob.

• 208 carla4obama
        September 10, 2012 at 1:55 pm

So the question to ask Romney..So you endorse Steve King, what do you think of his birther obsession? Have you confronted him to tell him that you are 100% sure our current President was born in the USA?

74. 209 99ts
    September 10, 2012 at 12:56 pm

So does David Gregory not care about his reputation – or does he not have a reputation to care about – or both?

75. 211 Ladyhawke
    September 10, 2012 at 12:56 pm

The Wrong Kind Of Experience: Paul Ryan’s Big Foreign Policy Credential

By Joe Conason

Defending himself against the perception that he has no significant foreign policy experience, Republican vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan has drawn fresh attention to one of the most controversial acts of the past decade: the Bush administration’s decision to invade Iraq before UN weapons inspections were completed. Ryan now points to his vote for war as a token of his readiness to serve in the White House, but he is on the wrong side of both history and public opinion.
    What Ryan cites as his chief qualification to serve as commander-in-chief is a series of votes that represent the most fateful, expensive, inexcusable error in recent American history. For him to cite that vote to draw a contrast with President Obama, who got the Iraq issue right, is startling. It reveals something that Americans need to know before he gets any closer to executive power.

————————————–

76. 214 dotster3
    September 10, 2012 at 1:00 pm
  77. 215 Ladyhawke
    September 10, 2012 at 1:11 pm

LOL Of The Week: Mitt Romney Goes Crazy

By LOLGOP

———————–

The entire Republican National Convention was based on a bad inside joke.

Did you hear the one about the president saying you didn’t build your business? Except he clearly meant you didn’t build the roads and bridges and schools we all use. But let’s pretend he didn’t say that and base our entire convention on it!
    So what did Mitt do as soon as the Democratic convention was over? He appeared with possibly the most notoriously extreme member of the U.S. House of Representatives – Steve King.
    Romney’s problem is that the only person who seems able to vouch for him to swing voters is his wife Ann — who appeared with him on Meet the Press to prove he has a 100 percent approval rating among women named in his will. And too many of the people he relies on to make his case to his base – which he seems to still have to make – turn swing voters off. This has been the dilemma of Romney’s candidacy from the moment he clinched the nomination.

He can’t win with the crazies, and he can’t win without them.

—————————————-

• 216 cookemom
      September 10, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Let’s hope that he loses by such a large margin, that he takes that car elevator of his to its lowest level and stay there. Surely he won’t resurface, right?

• 217 FiredUpInCA
      September 10, 2012 at 1:22 pm

This is perfect. “Romney’s problem is that the only person who seems able to vouch for him to swing voters is his wife Ann — who appeared with him on Meet the Press to prove he has a 100 percent approval rating among women named in his will.”

78. 219 Ladyhawke
    September 10, 2012 at 1:23 pm

LYIN RYAN JUST TAKIN LOUD AND SAYIN NOTHIN

Paul Ryan Falls Apart When Asked How Romney Will Pay for Tax Cuts for the Rich

By: Jason Easley

—————————————-

Paul Ryan’s answer on how he and Romney would pay for $5 trillion in tax cuts for the wealthy was trust us. Ryan wants America to take his word for it that this plan really works. Of course he could cite no specific evidence that it works, and he won’t tell voters how it will work, but he knows that it will work.

However, the evidence can be found in our own recent history to prove that this policy doesn’t work. George W. Bush cut taxes for the wealthy and the jobs never came. President Obama was ransomed into extending the Bush tax cuts and the jobs never came, but even more telling is the fact the Ryan won’t disclosed how they are going to pay for their gift to the wealthy.

In fact when Paul Ryan was pressed ever so slightly by George Stephanopoulos for specifics, the vice presidential nominee fell apart. Like a snowman on sunny day, Paul Ryan melted down to nothing when a little heat was put on him.

—————————————-

NOTE: Who was the guy impersonating George S. asking follow-up questions and pressing Lyin Ryan for specifics?