Sep

‘He helped lift my despair’

Jon C. Hopwood (Yahoo): I received news that my mother had passed just after midnight on Friday. Despite her Alzheimer’s, she had been my biggest fan. She was the first to see the photos I took at campaign events; she had even accompanied me to several events….

…. One, a Romney-Ryan rally at Saint Anselm College, had been an ordeal for her and she had asked me to take her away, away from the hate and bombast.

…. The motto of the Romney-Ryan campaign seems to be “every man for himself,” a command given sailors on a sinking ship. They had given up on America. I wanted to see Obama and his message of hope.

He did not disappoint. The 6,000 supporters who thronged the central square at the Strawberry Banke living museum had to wait two hours, but it was worth it … he did give me hope and helped lift my despair.

Because he cares. Barack Obama cares …. I felt like part of a community. A community that cares.

Back home, the following day, I collected some of Mom’s snapshots for her memorial … As I removed the photos, I discovered she had also tucked into the mirror frame a photo of President Obama and his family.

….. It was nice to know the man I chose to see the day after she passed, seeking to be comforted, had been there to comfort her in her final days.

Full article here

257 Responses to “‘He helped lift my despair’”

1. September 11, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Just stoppin’ in to check on everybody . . . . helloooooooooooo . . . xoxoo

September 11, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Pres. Obama keeps making history. He doesn’t just talk the talk, he walks the walk.

3. 3 theo67
    September 11, 2012 at 2:49 pm

This is such a bittersweet post from this person who found comfort with President Obama. It’s telling that his mother ran away from the hate at the Romney Ryan affair, and found quiet comfort just seeing a photo of President Obama and his family. What these Republicans are doing to this country is criminal.

Congratulations on first place, Sara!

• 4 Rita
      September 11, 2012 at 3:06 pm

So true. Such a beautifully touching story. You really do get the feeling that PBO genuinely cares. All his policies to date have been ones that will help people. And not just help them when they are down in despair, but help them climb out of it to a better life. R/R will extinguish this spark of hope forever. They just cannot be allowed to win.

• 5 PoliticalJunkessa
      September 11, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I agree with you. The psychic energy of a Romney-Ryan event (much like the Palin events) is so ugly that it’s not safe for the young, the eldery, or the ill, imo. Can’t be healthy for the mind, body, or spirit.

What a beautiful story. I hope Mr. Hopwood is comforted as he remembers his sweet mom.

4. 6 donna dem 4 obama
    September 11, 2012 at 2:49 pm

What a touching story!

• 7 COS
      September 11, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I love this story. I don’t understand how people of faith can sit at Romney/Ryan rallies and not feel disgusted at the hate coming out of their mouthes. I am appalled at Romney for sinking to the new low of lying about PBO taking God off our currency, while saying that he (Romney) will not take God out of his heart. All I can do is shake my head.

September 11, 2012 at 3:10 pm

First of all the President have not say anything about taking God off of our currency. So Mitt Romney is lying again. Are there any decent Republicans out there who is just fed up with the lies, and how extreme the Republican Party have become? Are they just sick of what have happen to their party?

• 9 HZ
      September 11, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Lisa,I am to touched also. This is such a story that rings to powerful to my heart because of similar aspects in the story. My tears come with many memories of how powerful love can be when it touches the inner spirit of the core of ones being.HZ

September 11, 2012 at 2:50 pm
  6. September 11, 2012 at 2:53 pm
    September 11, 2012 at 2:53 pm

More good news.

8. September 11, 2012 at 2:53 pm
  9. 18 elo4obama/biden
    September 11, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Oh my God! Let me just bawl like a baby. THAT IS REAL, and I’m just so touched be it I can hardly articulate my feelings. His description of the hate and selfishness of today’s republican party and their hate fests mascarading as campaign rallies. Yes! I cannot see that anyone down, or sick or already discouraged or worried would find anything worthwhile at a Romney, or really any of the republican rallies, just the same with the RNC.

Bless this photo jouranlist and God bless his mom. I think I really lost it at the fact she’d included the Obama family portrait on her mirror, and no doubt looked at them as a sort of family of her’s too. I’m blown away right now. In a very good way, I’m just blown away. :smile:

Hello to everyone, I delurked for this. JOY. Obama/Biden 2012 Go dems!

• 19 theo67
      September 11, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Hi Elo – delurk more often! I was very moved by this article, too. I’m glad he decided to go to the campaign – the overwhelming positivity probably buoyed his spirits, more than he probably even realizes.

• September 11, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Lovely response and thank you for ‘delurking’ and sharing it with us. I agree.

Yes We Can

• 21 Dudette
      September 11, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Welcome Elo. Glad you came out of lurkdom.

Know how you feel though. First the video in the last post about little Travis and now this. I’m running out of tissue. #FORWARD

September 11, 2012 at 3:00 pm
    • 23 jackiegrumbacher
      September 11, 2012 at 4:14 pm

This is a perfect comment–the philosophy of every man for himself leads–inevitably–to a sinking ship.

September 11, 2012 at 3:02 pm

way to go asshole.

• 25 susanne
      September 11, 2012 at 3:38 pm

he’s damaging our international standing, and he’s not even in public office–just imagine how he’d tear us up and sell us off, if he were -ack! ack!- president.

• 26 jackiegrumbacher
        September 11, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Exactly Susanne, R-money doesn’t have the slightest idea that words have consequences, sometimes dire international ones. He’s a bull in a china shop.

September 11, 2012 at 3:03 pm

What a wonderful and heartwarming story. It is quite telling that his mom wanted to run away from the hate and anger at the Romney-Ryan rally. I’m sure there are others like her out there who are turned off by Romney-Ryan’s prophecies of doom and gloom. So happy for him that Pres. Obama in some way brought hope to him amidst despair and grief.

September 11, 2012 at 3:04 pm
  14. September 11, 2012 at 3:10 pm
  15. 30 lisalovesobama
    September 11, 2012 at 3:12 pm

guys, you have to read this interview–out today— with Michael Lewis. the guy who spent 6 months with PBO. there is a really heartbreaking retelling of something about PBO and his hopes for his future. do y’all remember PBO always saying that after everything is done, after he’s not president anymore, he’ll have more freedom to take a walk in a park, and do stuff like he did before he was president? well here’s the excerpt:

Lewis: Yes, and I argue that he is not cold or aloof, that he actually laughs all the time — more than me. He loves jokes, and he is an optimist … so, so, so self-confident.

He really believes he can return to normal, that he can go back and do everyday things given the chance. And I told the president, “No you can’t, you can’t go back and do stuff the way,” and while I never ever saw him lose his temper ever, I did see him get annoyed, and that was only when I pushed him and said, “No, Mr. President you are fooling yourself, how can you possibly keep it real after being president?” He looked at me and said, “No Michael, you’re wrong, I can.”

“If I had a day off, I would go body surfing in Hawaii and then I would take Sasha and Malia to New York City one day and go to the Museum of Modern Art and look at the paintings and people watch and make funny faces.” Obama really thinks he can do that.

—- this excerpt made me sad, because as much as i wish this for PBO, things will never be the same again. People would hound him nonstop if he tried to do any of this. this passage made me realize something about PBO, it’s not naivety, but a curious sense of innocence.

• 31 amk for obama
      September 11, 2012 at 3:14 pm

He loves jokes

My kinda man. :)

• 32 amk for obama
      September 11, 2012 at 3:19 pm
    • September 11, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I don’t know if he can go back to any semblance of private or public life but his determination to do so makes me think he will make it happen. It makes me sad to think that such a curious man would have to be in any sort of lingering bubble.

The last time I was at the Met Museum of Art in NYC, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie walked by with 2 very serious body guards. Not one person disturbed them. It was pretty interesting. Maybe part of it was the quiet nature of a museum. I think if PBO and family have the right kind of protection, he may be able to do some of the things that make him so happy.

• 36 japa21
        September 11, 2012 at 4:50 pm

He will have protection for the rest of his life. But I also think he will be able to some things spontaneously.

• 37 veryslowwriter
        September 11, 2012 at 6:06 pm

I grew up in Los Angeles at a time when a lot of films were still being made there. It wasn’t unusual to see big “stars” out and about. In general, people are quite respectful. I do thing that the President, having Secret Service protection, will be able to do the things he describes. But it won’t be the same. Even if people try to be cool about it, he will get stared at. I once sat at a table in a restaurant next to Sidney Poitier’s table. I was extremely cool. Aside from breaking into hysterical giggles at regular intervals.

• September 11, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Yes, there will always be people who want to shake his hand, hug him, talk to him. Having a wall of SS protection will make some difference but let’s face it – this man is for the most part ADORED.

• 39 theo67
      September 11, 2012 at 5:14 pm

This makes my heart break – I think this fantasy is probably what’s keeping him going – the thought that one day, he’ll just be normal again, living a quiet life like any other American. That’s just not going to happen. I wonder if he knows he’ll have secret service forever…

September 11, 2012 at 3:13 pm
    • 41 theo67
      September 11, 2012 at 5:18 pm

I’m not sure how the GOP can demand deep spending cuts, and then in the next breath bemoan the Defense cuts and termination of the Bush tax cuts. How does that even work?

17. 42 Brian
    September 11, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Does anyone know if there is video of Vice President Biden’s remarks today in memory of September 11? The transcript was so moving, I can’t imagine the effect in the room.

18. 46 Ladyhawke
    September 11, 2012 at 3:15 pm

RANDI RHODES SHOW – Tuesday, September 11, 2012

========================================================

The Randi Rhodes Show (Broadcasting right now.)

Randi Rhodes Homework (A Cornucopia of awesome links and articles being discussed today.)

19. September 11, 2012 at 3:17 pm
  20. 52 Tally
    September 11, 2012 at 3:21 pm

“she had asked me to take her away, away from the hate and bombast.”

Ya know……This.

Let me say – I’m not a “religious” person AT ALL. My personal beliefs and “spirituality” if you will, are very personal. (Please see Matt:6.) I am far more a student of theology (as a hobby – and if I ever win the lotto I might try to go back to school to get one of my PhD’s in Archeological Theology.)

But something has really seeped into my consciousness until I now can’t UNSEE it.

Forgive me for sounding a little wacky – but when did the GOP fully and openly embrace Satan? I don’t mean big red cartoon Satan with a pitchfork, but the Biblical Satan who poisons from within.

Where was I when that happened? And why can’t they see it? I mean – it’s not only the HATE/GREED/SELFISHNESS/PRIDE/SLOTH/GLUTTONY/ENVY/WRATH etc 24/7- the only thing they don’t have is lust…well, aside from the closeted, self-hating Marcus Bachmanns, it’s on their logo, and their ENTIRE PLATFORM FFS!!!

Hate everyone, money money money money, did I mention MONEY? I got mine, screw you….

It’s the polar opposite of the teachings of Jesus. And I don’t mean the one they ripped off from the Persian religion of Mithris (didn’t know I was that wonky, did you?), but the real historical dude that was written about in The Scriptures.

I can’t be the only one who sees it, can I?

• September 11, 2012 at 3:28 pm

No, Tally, you are not alone. It’s the way it is.

Yes We Can … Do More Together! … We Must.

• 54 kathryn kivett
        September 11, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I agree it is the way that it is….but….has it always been so or in my case, have I just been niave?….When did Hate become so ACCEPTABLE disguising itself as religion?

• 55 elo4obama/biden
          September 11, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I often wonder how to greed and selfishness become so accpetable. How did we come to the point of a vulture capitalist being the main other candidate for president. There was a time (modern history) when this would not have been doable. Geko for President, or the charactor played by Richard Gere in Pretty Woman before “love” changed him.

We live in interesting times. I’ve read many comments from folks trying to excuse the ruthless greed of the Bain way. While that is certainly capitalism, it’s not the “respectable” kind. There was a time when this ruthless greediness was not fit for public viewing. Some folks want to put him in the white house.

• 56 Walking_on_ Sunshine
          September 11, 2012 at 9:48 pm

The only people Jesus routinely got angry at were the organized religious leaders of his time. They made too many rules and corrupted the temple by allowing in money changers and making it a profit center. He said it would be easier for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to go to heaven.
          They killed him because he challenged the established religious leadership. All this is plainly stated in the New Testament.

• 57 0388jojothecat
      September 11, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I see it and what I don’t get is these same “christians” follow Rush Limpballs who IS NOT A CHRISTIAN, they claim to be the religious party when they promote hate and destruction of people that are not “conservative” just because they are against – abortion, gays, contraception, etc.

• 58 Walking_on_ Sunshine
        September 11, 2012 at 9:56 pm

And Jesus never mentioned abortion, gays or contraception. If they believe him to be the son of God, surely they should pause to wonder why he never mentioned these issues at all. He was much more concerned about divorce because the divorced women of that time were often left destitute and homeless. The Jesus my mother held dear was someone who I could love. I don’t know if he was the son of God or not but I know I love him for the person he was and for what he tried to teach us.

• 59 theo67
      September 11, 2012 at 5:24 pm

You’re not the only one who sees it – that’s why people are afraid. My sister said three years ago that this presidency was a battle between good and evil. And she declared quite confidently that good always overcomes evil. I scoffed at her at the time, but over time, I’ve come to embrace her insight. It really has become quite obvious – especially after the two conventions. One was dark and hateful and fueled by hate and lies, and the other was so full of life, love, truth and hope. One was a masquerade of characters, and the other was authentic and genuine. One was greed-filled and the other was all about compassion. We see it.

September 11, 2012 at 3:22 pm
    September 11, 2012 at 3:25 pm
  23. 63 donna dem 4 obama
    September 11, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Sorry and completely OT – For those of you who follow @vdaze and @shoq, WTH is going on? Now Shoq’s twitter account has been suspended and vdaze is going on and on about abuse. Were they a couple? Shouldn’t this be taken offline to direct messages?

Sorry for the interruption…carry on!

September 11, 2012 at 3:29 pm

LOL.

25. 86 Tally
    September 11, 2012 at 3:31 pm
    September 11, 2012 at 3:32 pm
  27. 90 lisalovesobama
    September 11, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Michael Lewis video— he’s talking about PBO

28. 91 susanne
    September 11, 2012 at 3:43 pm

princeton pollsters say the presidential race is in the bag, but we have work to do to keep the senate:

‘ From a resource-allocation standpoint, focusing on Congress is a wise move – for both sides. Put briefly, resources are most effective where the odds are right on the edge. And that is precisely where the Presidential race is not. Indeed, it appears that a major priority of Karl Rove’s Crossroads GPS has been to fund winnable Senate races. All of this is supported by “the math,” as Rove put it in 2006. This time, he’s telling the truth – with money. ‘

September 11, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I like their optimism but no election is “in the bag.” We have to act as though we’re 10 points down for both the Presidential and congressional races. :)

• 93 Obama Grandmama
        September 11, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Actually we are only up 1 pt among likely voters as compared to all voters. Remember the big money ads and voter suppression are problems we need to deal with too. The main thing is to be sure people get to the polls and stay in line to vote as well as they are not denied voter rights. Vote counts should be monitored too.

September 11, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Obama’s lead among likely voters is greater than 1pt – it’s more like 4-6 pts. The WaPo poll showing 1pt is an outlier among all the other polls released released post-convention.

• 95 nathkatun7
      September 11, 2012 at 4:57 pm

The only time the election will be in the bag is on Nov. 6 after the results are announced. Karl Rove is trying to distract us. We can focus both on the president and the Congress. It’s not an either or situation! In fact a major win for the President will likely help other Democrats on the ticket.

• 96 donna dem 4 obama
        September 11, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Right on point Nath! We can and are doing both. When we make calls and there is a close Senate or Congressional race we are asking people for support for both the Presidential ticket and the down tickets.

BTW-How ya doing Nath?

• 97 nathkatun7
          September 11, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Hi Donna, I am doing well. Thank you for asking. And thank you for all the wonderful work you are doing on behalf of the President. You an inspiration to me.

• 98 Chi
        September 11, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Absolutely spot on Nath…

We take nothing for granted and we keep at it, stay focused and alert and working our butts off and hearts out until the votes are tallied and counted and the election called for President Obama on November 6…

29. 99 cookemom
    September 11, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Helllllooooo O’s a reflective but still great getting up day in TOD city. It’s good news that things are looking up for the children in the Chicago School system. It’s good news that PBO is so much the leader this country needs. It’s good news that TODsters are like the big ol’ family at a holiday meal. Lots of laughs, the occasional flare-up, but in the end a ton of fun.

My political take today is there’s much gnashing of teeth, denial, blame gaming, and general depression on the right wing sites I often visit. They never liked him anyway and now they are trying to make the best of it, and it ain’t pretty. They’re turning on each other with the “I told you so”. The only thing that’s keeping them together is their need to see PBO out of the White House

September 11, 2012 at 3:46 pm
    • September 11, 2012 at 4:59 pm

You know, she says such weird crap on twitter, I thought it had to be a satire account. But no, apparently not. She is really a full out RWNJ.

September 11, 2012 at 3:51 pm
    September 11, 2012 at 3:53 pm
  33. September 11, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Paul Ryan is set to air ads in his Wisconsin House district as part of a re-election effort he hasn’t really been waging, the AP reports.

Has nothing to do with getting votes in a blue area for Willard?

34. 112 Linda
    September 11, 2012 at 3:56 pm

NEW YORK — The Treasury Department raised $32 billion in a sale of three-year notes that was met with blockbuster demand.

For every $1 that was offered, buyers placed $3.94 in bids, the highest demand for the notes recorded, according to research from Nomura Securities.

The notes fetched a yield of 0.337 percent.

A Nomura research note said it was a sign that traders expect the Fed to extend its guidance for low interest rates into late 2015.

The price of 10-year Treasury notes fell 31 cents Tuesday for every $100 invested. The yield was 1.69 percent, up from 1.66 percent late Monday.

In other trading, the price of the 30-year bond fell 56 cents for every $100 invested. The yield rose to 2.84 percent, from 2.81 percent late Monday.

35. 113 Geeja
    September 11, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Reflecting on this day. Thankful for all of you and Ms Chips. Thankful for this site.

36. September 11, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Boehner ‘not confident’ that Congress, Obama will strike debt deal
    Russell Berman
    09/11/12 01:53 PM ET
    Boehner blames President Obama and Senate for impasse over tax rates and spending cuts.…
    He is already saying no deal!

37. 118 Ladyhawke
    September 11, 2012 at 4:02 pm

TRUTH TEAM RESPONDS: THE ROMNEY-RYAN BOGUS 12 MILLION JOBS CLAIM

“12 million jobs”

September 10, 2012

—————————-

With more than 4.6 million private sector jobs added over the past 30 months, the economy is working its way back from the worst economic recession since the Great Depression. But as President Obama has made clear, there’s more to do—and he has a real, achievable plan to strengthen the economy. In fact, he has a plan to create 1 million jobs now by keeping teachers and first responders on the job, putting construction workers back to work, and cutting taxes for small businesses that hire and invest in their business. However, the House GOP continues to block the President’s jobs plan.

Meanwhile, Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan are under fire for failing to provide any specifics about their economic plan. Instead, they’re trying to claim that their plan will create 12 million jobs in their first term. But here’s the thing: As ABC’s George Stephanopoulos pointed out, independent economists project that the economy is already on track to add 12 million jobs under current policies.

Here’s what independent fact checkers had to say:

Washington Post fact checker:

“Moody’s Analytics, in an August forecast, predicts 12 million jobs will be created by 2016, no matter who is president. And Macroeconomic Advisors in April also predicted a gain of 12.3 million jobs.”

Washington Post’s Ezra Klein:

“Romney’s target of 12 million jobs over the next four years happens to be the same number of jobs that economic forecasting firm Moody’s Analytics expects us to add even without major policy changes.”

New York Times:

“Mr. Romney’s promises may actually be a little underambitious, in that his promised job growth is pretty close to what’s already expected. In its semi-annual long-term economic forecast released in April, Macroeconomic Advisers projected that the economy would add 11.8 million jobs from 2012 to 2016.

The bottom line is that President Obama’s plan—including support of the American Jobs Act—is the only one that will actually create a substantial number of jobs—two million more than the Romney-Ryan plan.

In fact, while the President’s plan would create 1 million jobs next year based on outside estimates, analysts say the Romney-Ryan economic plan could cost over 1 million jobs next year. Mark Hopkins, senior adviser at Moody’s Analytics, said, “If we implemented all of [Romney’s] policies, it would push us deeper into recession and make the recovery slower.” Nobel Prize-winning economist Joseph Stiglitz said, “The Romney plan is going to slow down the economy, worsen the jobs deficit, and significantly increase the likelihood of recession.”

——————————————–

September 11, 2012 at 4:03 pm

On that happy note, gunnite folks.

39. September 11, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Nut the Yahoo, making waves about the President snubbing Him.
    You know, I don’t think the American People, including most American Jews, like Nut The Yahoo, as much as He thinks we do!
    Jeeze! What an asshole.

40. September 11, 2012 at 4:06 pm
  41. September 11, 2012 at 4:09 pm

CNN poll- obamas job approval turns positive-
    51-44!

42. 128 lisalovesobama
    September 11, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Beau Biden was just on Martin.

• 129 Obama Grandmama
      September 11, 2012 at 5:52 pm

In watching Beau I was struck how he has the same speaking pattern as his Dad Joe. Joe Biden repeats important words for emphasis three times. I noticed Beau was doing that today.

43. 130 PoliticalJunkessa
    September 11, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Oh my! Michelle is going to be here in Richmond on Thursday — I just got an invite to pick up a ticket — but I won’t be able to make it due to work. WaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHH! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

• 131 donna dem 4 obama
      September 11, 2012 at 4:18 pm

You know PJ I think you’re starting to look a little ill and will need to take off and get some rest around Thursday this week. :lol:

• 140 cookemom
      September 11, 2012 at 5:39 pm

so here’s what you do. Starting tomorrow morning, walk around wheezing and sniffling. Tell no one about FLOTUS even coming to town, at least that you know anything about it. Then around lunch time find packets of pepper and keep an open one in your hand. Whenever you talk to a co-worker or especially your boss, wipe your nose and eyes. This will unleash a torrent of sneezes and tears. Make sure you give a resounding, thunderous, wall shattering sneeze. It wouldn’t hurt to release a little spittle spray. Toward the end of the day walk bent over and lean against the wall, desk, or people as if you’re too weak to stand. Put on sunglasses and every so often shout, ‘my eyes, my eyes!’ As you leave tell your boss you hope to be in tomorrow, but now you’re finding a rash in unmentionable places. You will be sure to get Thursday off.

Find you a Halloween costume and have fun at FLOTUS’ gathering. Good Luck!

44. 143 Ladyhawke
    September 11, 2012 at 4:15 pm

TRY TO WRAP YOUR BRAIN AROUND THIS REPUBLICAN PARTY LOGIC

===========================================================

1) Even though the 9/11 terrorist attacks occurred on President George W. Bush’s watch, the Republican Party blames President Bill Clinton.

2) Even though President Barack Obama issued to order that brought OBL to justice, the Republicans Party says President George W. Bush should get the credit.

Bottom line, the Republican Party will NEVER TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for their actions, it’s always the other guys fault. But they have no qualms TAKING CREDIT FOR ACTIONS THEY DID NOT TAKE. That’s the Republican Party in a nutshell.

• 144 theo67
      September 11, 2012 at 5:52 pm

They’re like children.

• 145 nathkatun7
      September 11, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Ladyhawke, you perfectly captured the Republican logic. This is exactly similar to what Romney/Ryan are doing on the economy. Ryan blames President Obama for the closure of an auto plant that occurred under Bush, and Romney is now taking credit for rescuing the auto industry.

45. September 11, 2012 at 4:18 pm
  46. September 11, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Want to tell me why the latex sticking point for discussions on the Teacher strike is, they got offered a 16% pay increase, they said no, we want 32% pay increase?

Thus, these discussions with the Teachers Union have nothing to do with Rahm, it’s a little deeper than that.

IMO!

47. September 11, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Senate advances veterans’ jobs bill

By Ramsey Cox
    The Senate moved forward on a veterans’ jobs bill that would hire more vets as first-responders and police officers.

The 95-1 vote to end debate on the bill came on the anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. The Veterans Jobs Corp Act would create new job-training programs to help veterans find work in targeted fields such as national park conservation, historic preservation projects, police work and firefighting, among others.

Over to you Boner.

September 11, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Thanks for the article Lisa.

49. September 11, 2012 at 4:31 pm

EPA official: GOP bill would ‘cripple’ global climate efforts

By Zack Colman
    An Environmental Protection Agency official said during a Tuesday hearing that a House Republican-sponsored bill would “cripple” the agency’s ability to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

They are just screwing around, trying to get donations from big coal and big oil!

50. September 11, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Jen Psaki is on CNN. Tell me how she is doing, I am at Gym.

51. 153 Ladyhawke
    September 11, 2012 at 4:35 pm

GREED AND DEBT: THE TRUE STORY OF MITT ROMNEY AND BAIN CAPITAL

By Matt Taibbi

——————————-

How the GOP presidential candidate and his private equity firm staged an epic wealth grab, destroyed jobs – and stuck others with the bill

———————————

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/greed-and-debt-the-true-story-of-mitt-romney-and-bain-capital-20120829#ixzz26C8gJjTP

DEMOCRACY NOW INTERVIEWED MATT TAIBBI OF ROLLING STONE:

IF YOU DON’T HAVE TIME TO READ THIS VERY LONG ARTICLE, LISTEN TO THE INTERVIEW OF MATT TAIBBI BY ANY GOODMAN OF DEMOCRACY NOW. LISTEN WHILE YOU WORK. IT WILL BE TIME WELL SPENT. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY RIVETING REPORTING BY MATT TAIBBI.

Matt Taibbi: The Secret to Mitt Romney’s Fortune? Greed, Debt and Forcing Others to Foot the Bill

52. September 11, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Romney camp, confident of a win at the debates.
    Which leads me to believe, something is going on.

• 155 Linda
      September 11, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Yeah…and Rinse Prewash guranteed an 11 point bounce from the Convention….

They are delusional

• 159 Ladyhawke
      September 11, 2012 at 4:45 pm

That’s interesting. I think they were also confident that Mitt Romney would get a bounce after the RNC Convention.

• September 11, 2012 at 4:53 pm

What’s going on is they are working the refs. HORSE RACE.

September 11, 2012 at 4:55 pm

They were confident that the Ryan Pick would give Romney a boost in the polls.
      They were confident that the RNC convention would give Romney a decisive bounce.

• 162 Ladyhawke
        September 11, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Exactly HF. And they were confident that all they had to do was focus on the economy and blame President Obama for everything that is wrong and provide no details about what they would do. And then on top of that they are running a tactical campaign where they are just responding to whatever is happening on any particular day. They are flying by the seat of their pants. The clearest indication of this was the fact that they had to build their entire convention on the stupid we built it nonsense. I kept asking myself if they had not stumbled onto taking those words out of context exactly what was their message going to be.

September 11, 2012 at 5:19 pm

So true Ladyhawke…remember when they (and the MSM) thought that rising gas prices would be PBO’s undoing? Every week, every month, it appeared to be a different thing that would sink PBO. After the gas prices, it was the birth control/Catholic vote issue; then it was same-sex marriage issue, then it was the various books coming out on PBO that would sink him…so far nothing has worked. NOTHING.

• 164 japa21
      September 11, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Well, they can’t come out and say they are sure they are going to lose the debates. They are incompetent as a rule, but this is pretty necessary for them to say this knowing that the debates are their last chance.

• 165 nathkatun7
      September 11, 2012 at 6:05 pm

May be Candy Crawley and Bob Schieffer have already shared with them the questions they will ask. On the other hand, they probably already know that no matter what, the corporate media will declare Romney the winner. The same way they did with McCain in 2008. What they may be missing is that the majority of the people are no longer swayed by self-important media pundits.

53. September 11, 2012 at 4:42 pm
  54. 167 elo4obama/biden
    September 11, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Hi. I’ve been away for a while. Anyone watching Bashir? He’s got an expert on claiming to see no diff btwn Romney and PBO in regards to Iran. Both talking tough as previous admin. He says the only diff he sees is Romney giving green light to Isreal. He ended by saying something like Romney giving green light sooner. OK, I was busy talking to the TV and missed part.

I was telling Bashir and this guy, if they’d only listen, that Isreal bombs Iran, we are as good as at war too! The president has said Isreal has a right to defend itself, however we have been holding the reigns back on Isreal and NOT egging them on!

September 11, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I would ignore this kind of propaganda. Anyone who claims that there is no difference between Romney and Obama on any issue is dishonest, and probably hoping for a Romney win.

• 169 Sharon
      September 11, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Here is an article that I came upon somehow, but is very sobering when you consider attacking Iran. It details all the attacks, planes and so on that it would take for a successful attack by the US. Substantial. And it would only buy about 10 years before the threat would loom again. The author does not believe that Israel could really be successful on its own. And would result in major disasters throughout the mideast. Too many people are too glib on this issue without deeply considering the realities.

55. 175 squarepeg
    September 11, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Remember this commercial guys?

56. 179 Linda
    September 11, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Someone get the duck tape…. Ed Rendell is on Hardball and just said that PBO sent Congress a Jobs bill last OCTOBER.

The one year mark was yesterday…. SHUT UP ED !

• 180 nathkatun7
      September 11, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Ed Rendell is probably campaigning for a cabinet job in the Romney administration.

• 181 theo67
        September 11, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Yup – Romney would need some token Dems in order to bring the country together. Although – I doubt that would be likely, since people would start to feel the effects of a Romney admin pretty quickly.

• 182 EricFive
        September 11, 2012 at 7:59 pm

More likely that Ed Rendell knows that bad mouthing PBO or propping up Mitt will get him invited on these talk shows. It has been hard to miss Rendel the past couple of weeksl, he has been on every network spewing his bullshit.

57. September 11, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Joe Scarborough eyeing 2016 presidential bid

Comments (40) By DYLAN BYERS | 9/11/12 3:24 PM EDT
    Via Vanity Fair:

After the presidential inauguration in January, Joe (no fan of Mitt Romney’s—”I’ve been very critical”) plans on publishing a memoir that will serve—no joke—as a vehicle to test the waters for a presidential run in 2016.

No joke.

You see? LOL! LMAO!

58. September 11, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Love this quote from the article by Michael Lewis. Thanks for the link above!

NBC: Why didn’t President Obama choose Wall Street after school?

Lewis: I asked him, I said, we’re the same age, the same background, we went to Ivy Leagues and during our generation, ’81, ’82, Wall Street firms were recruiting on campus heavily and that’s where our peers were going, and you didn’t, why not? He said, “That was not my end game. It was not my calling. I was never going to be “the money guy.”

• 194 PoliticalJunkessa
      September 11, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Oh, I love it. What a beautiful sentiment. His mama raised him right.

On a tangentially related note, I feel this sentiment is behind the antipathy many on Wall Street have for PBO, despite the last 4 years having been good for them. It is personal, and it forces self-reflection. They chose the almighty dollar for the dollar’s sake, while he followed a calling. Now, not even all the tax breaks, all the rewriting of the laws in their favor, not all the money in the world, can make up for that lack of a purpose. Nothing can make up for that lack of a soul.

• 195 nathkatun7
        September 11, 2012 at 6:17 pm

I agree with you PJ!

• 197 0388jojothecat
        September 11, 2012 at 7:31 pm

President Obama never forgot the poor people in Chicago during his community organization days. He felt a need to help people and the only way he could do that was through being an elected public servant. He went into politics for the reason people USED to….now many Dems and Repug go into politics to become millionaires. Who needs Wall Street?

• 198 PoliticalJunkessa
          September 11, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Amen. Thank goodness for people like PBO who feel called to a higher purpose than chasing money all their lives.

• 199 theo67
      September 11, 2012 at 6:11 pm

The section right after that is great, too (the whole article is wonderful) – where Michael Lewis says that if President Obama had chosen that route, he would probably be running Goldman Sachs by now, because he’s got what it takes to do anything (including being President, of course – I added this part).

59. September 11, 2012 at 5:40 pm

When Republicans see the light, we need to prop them up. As with Scott Van Duzer, Jeremiah Goulka is one of those.

60. September 11, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Ed Rendell plays Devils advocate so much, that His New Nick Name is Beelzebub!

• 204 Nena20409
      September 11, 2012 at 5:50 pm

It is OK. TBGOPers listens to Rendall. So in a weird way, in spite of himself……Ed Rendall is a useful toll. McCain in 2008 followed Ed rendall and spent money in PA. McCain Lost Huge.

61. 205 Melanie
    September 11, 2012 at 5:47 pm

LOL they are doing the wave while waiting for Clinton. Where is Bubba?

September 11, 2012 at 5:47 pm

i’m sick and tired of Tweety’s nonstop over-effusive gushing about Bill Clinton while taking subtle digs at PBO. The only reason Clinton is leading among these groups of voters is his race, and the fact that he’s no longer President making hard choices. Has nothing to do with his ability to explain things better or whatever nonsense the MSM tries to put out there.

• 208 Nena20409
      September 11, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Remember Hope….this is a new thing for Tweety. Up until 2008, Matthews hated the Clintons. It was after his crude comments that Matthews fessed Up that his wife was mad at him….he made some crap about Mrs. Clinton and her voice that Chris Matthews started the 180 on both the Clintons.

• 209 nathkatun7
      September 11, 2012 at 6:21 pm

You know what, hopefruit2, Chris Matthews supported the impeachment of Bill Clinton.

September 11, 2012 at 6:25 pm

That is consistent with his behavior. I think Tweety (like much of the MSM) saw the Clintons as a threat to a Republican presidency in 2008 – that’s where the “hate” was coming from. Once Hillary was safely put out of the running, the MSM switched and to this day have been trying to get the Clintons on their (meaning Republican) side. That’s what Romney is doing..with all his kissing up to Clinton, etc..

63. September 11, 2012 at 5:50 pm
  64. 213 Cha
    September 11, 2012 at 5:56 pm

SHOCKING, I know.. I read this was getting hot on Twitter..

“Romney Has Given Two Versions Of His 9/11 Experience”,

h/t DU

• 214 99ts
      September 11, 2012 at 6:48 pm

The initial one had him with a scheduled a meeting with House and Senate appropriators – begging for money – the new version he is in Washington for a games security meeting.

Not so important in the scheme of things – just another lie to add to the thousands – and trying to deny that the government bailed out the olympics.

September 11, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Cha, did one of Romney’s version blame Obama?

65. 218 Linda
    September 11, 2012 at 6:03 pm

c-span 3 has it live

• 222 Rita
      September 11, 2012 at 7:20 pm

This was so very touching. One doesn’t hear Joe Biden talk about his won personal loss too much, but this is an indication of his belief system.

“My guess — and obviously it’s only a guess; no two losses are the same. But my guess is you’re living this moment that Yeats only wrote about, when he wrote, pray I will and sing I must, but yet I weep. Pray I will, sing I must, but yet I weep. My personal prayer for all of you is that in every succeeding year, you’re able to sing more than you weep.”
      — Joe Biden, speaking today in Shanksville, Pennsylvania during a ceremony to commemorate September 11th.

66. September 11, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Anyone got the feed from Miami – I’m not seeing anything on CSPAN or CBS?

67. September 11, 2012 at 6:27 pm

How is the Crowd with Bubba? Big?

• September 11, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Totally filled the space, very enthusiastic. He was once again ‘splainer in chief

The younguns who listened to him today got a real education!

68. 234 PoliticalJunkessa
    September 11, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Hey — I forgot to ask earlier. Did anybody see Robert Gibbs on Jeopardy last night? They’re doing a week in Washington DC and Gibbs beat Tweety and a female journalist. He was in second place going into Final Jeopardy, but because he made a good bet, he kept enough money to win. (Everyone got the final question wrong.) He was very engaging, and he won money for a nice charity — I believe it was reading/literacy based in his hometown of Auburn, Alabama.

Anyhoo, he was really cute, and smart as a whip.

September 11, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Nice! Can’t wait.

September 11, 2012 at 6:39 pm

We have a president who can multitask – remember the Bin Laden thingy…birth certificate, tornadoes in MO, WHCD, and Graduation speech all in the same weekend?

Okay, it’s Mitt Romney who should be worried. Try any shenanigan with Bibi, and it will backfire.

• 250 Margie James
      September 11, 2012 at 6:47 pm

I could see this coming a mile away, Mitt is not the shoe in, that he thought he was. The deeper Mitt sinks, the more wolf tickets Bi Bi will sell.

70. 251 Carolyn
    September 11, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Wow. The President spent a long time at Walter Reed. He doesn’t do the quick in and out photo op! He stays and talks…two purple hearts, and all those other visits. He truly cares.
    Love the Hopgood piece at the beginning ot this…..”he lifted my despair.” Again, Wow!
    Back to a topic upthread about the Romney campaign “working the refs” in the debates. I’ve written before about this before, , stating that with at least one of them, Jim Lehrer, this canNOT be done. He is my cousin, I know his integrity. We in his family do not know how he votes, his wife does not know. He is after FACTS and INFORMATION. He has been preparing for this debate since it was announced, and knows every thing that needs to be asked. If you might not like one of his questions, it is because he is trying to get at information. He does not like talking points.
    Also, he was on PBS talking about this two weeks ago, and told Marvin Kalb how he prepares, and that no one knows what he is going to ask, except his wife, about an hour before the debate when he has her check him. Jim is a true journalist, after information. He is incredibly fair. When asked about people sending him questions, he said he got 20,000 emails in 2008. He said his staff separated them into categories so he knew what subjects people were interested in, but he writes his own questions, and no Romney operative is going to get to him, just as no Obama staff member will.
    Please do not paint him with the same brush as Candy Crowley, etc. He is in a league they can only dream of. Also…he has moderated more Presidential debates than anyone else. The candidates know they’ll get a fair shake from him.

• September 11, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Hey Carolyn, if he’s receptive to suggested questions, here’s a fine point that is important for women to know the answer to. I’ll phrase it respectfully in case you fee comfortable forwarding it.

Mr. Romney has said during the campaign that he supports a woman’s constitutional right to an abortion in the case of rape, incest and endangered life of the mother, but he hasn’t said what he would do if a republican congress put on his desk a bill outlawing abortion in all cases. Would he veto it?

• 253 sherijr
      September 11, 2012 at 6:50 pm

this is good news Carolyn.. I, as a general rule anymore do not trust any media anymore.. but feel far better reading your commentary about Mr. Lehrer- as someone who knows personally of his integrity. Thank you for sharing this.

• 254 0388jojothecat
      September 11, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Glad to hear it Carolyn. Nice to know we have a TOD member who is related to someone of such high caliber and is a “real” member of the 4th estate. I look forward to seeing the first debate and feel better knowing it’s Mr. Lehrer.

71. September 11, 2012 at 6:39 pm
  72. 256 Linda
    September 11, 2012 at 6:41 pm

I cannot stand Steve Kornacki……..he is always saying Romney can still win….Romney can still win.

Get him off the tv…