Sep

‘It’s going to get extraordinarily dirty extraordinarily fast’

Charles Pierce: …..the footage offers an extraordinary look at what the candidate is like when he’s around people he perceives to be worthy of what he believes is the truth….

To this moment, I guarantee you, Romney is probably astonished at what all the fuss is about. This is simply the way the world is …. He is what his golden life has made him to be….

…. We are coming rapidly toward a devastating confluence of two colliding panics. The Romney campaign is panicking about itself, and the Republicans are panicking about the Romney campaign. He cannot come back from this, honestly. This is who he is. This is what he believes the world to be. Half the electorate already thinks he’s a fake, which means he’s not a very good one. There’s really only one campaign left to him now.

Unfortunately for American politics, that means only one thing. It’s going to get extraordinarily dirty extraordinarily fast. There is going to be pale birtherism and barely covert racism ….. There is going to be poor-baiting, and gay-baiting, and ladyparts-baiting, and probably baiting of things I haven’t thought of yet……

Full post here

268 Responses to “‘It’s going to get extraordinarily dirty extraordinarily fast’”

1. 1 prettyfoot58
    September 17, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Firest…:-)

2. September 17, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I guess it pays to be on the computer doing my schoolwork!

• September 17, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Okay, I refreshed once, there were no replies. I posted mine, I refreshed. There were no replies. I don’t know how you did it, prettyfoot! But congratulations. :)

3. 10 donna dem 4 obama
    September 17, 2012 at 9:46 pm

That “lessor of two evils” “they are both the same” meme drives me crazy. People are just incapable of learning. Ughhhhh!!!

• 11 lisalovesobama
      September 17, 2012 at 9:51 pm

At this point, I don’t care. I’ll take the bastards vote.

September 17, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Excellent response, Donna. I’m sick and tired of these fake-ass “journalists” who really are part of the 1%. Here’s another idiotic tweet from that fool

Clearly, those Northern Virginians in that focus group do not represent America as a whole. That’s the point she should have been making instead of tweeting that crap.

• 13 donna dem 4 obama
        September 17, 2012 at 10:05 pm

HF2 you would have punched your tv if you had watched this focus group tonight on c-span. Just stupidity in this world!!!!

I guess I’ll be back out there this weekend knocking on more doors and registering more voters that have some sense!

September 17, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Glad I didn’t see it. Why would CSPAN televise such crap?

• 15 donna dem 4 obama
            September 17, 2012 at 10:11 pm

It was suppose to be a focus group of people in Virginia who were independent, lean-Obama and lean-Romney. All you got was right wing talking points…”Obama needs to stop apologizing to the world BS”. The Obama supporters were good but the others were sickening.

September 17, 2012 at 10:23 pm

So it sounds like this focus group was intended to further dampen enthusiasm among the lean-Obama Independents. Very transparent agenda. Were there any significant minorities in the group?

• 18 nathkatun7
        September 17, 2012 at 11:08 pm

You know what hopefruit, many of the people who are paraded as journalists are nothing but lazy gossipers. With a few exceptions here and there, U.S. Journalism is DEAD! This is why we have a sizable number of Americans who believe in lies and fantasies. By the way, all this new found love for Bill Clinton is amusing to me. In 1992, Bill Clinton received slightly over 43% of the popular vote. In 1996, when he run for a second term, he received 49% of the vote. In both of his two elections Bill Clinton never won the majority of American voters. Thanks to Ross Perot, we will never know if Clinton would have been elected the first time around, or re-elected for a second term. Contrast that with President Obama who won 53% of the popular vote. Besides, Bill Clinton was the second U.S. president, in the 223 years history of the U.S presidency, to be impeached by the U.S. House of Representatives. That’s out of 44 presidents only two were impeached; although both survived being removed from the Presidency by the votes in the U.S. Senate. Of course, the other president who was certainly going to be impeached and probably convicted by the Senate, and removed from office, was Richard Nixon; and he elected to resign.

• September 17, 2012 at 11:36 pm

I’m with you, Nathan. I *still* don’t know what people see in Clinton. I’m glad they see something though, because they opened up their wallets to the tune of $750,000 at a fund-raiser for Jay Inslee who is running for Governor in WA just because Clinton was there.

• 20 Betsy
          September 17, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Regardless of what he did, the entire impeachment was a rigged up GOP tactic and it almost worked. It made the US the laughingstock of the world.

• 21 nathkatun7
            September 18, 2012 at 4:08 am

Betsy, don’t get me wrong. I totally opposed Clinton’s impeachment. I also voted for Bill Clinton and still regard him as a good President. My point, which I probably did not articulate very well, was the hypocrisy of those who are now all of sudden in love with Bill Clinton when they were the ones stabbing him in the back. Here are some examples: Chris Matthews was a strong proponent of impeachment. I am sure you know how most of the people at FOX news, including Bill O’Reiley, felt about Clinton. The majority of Republicans in the House of Representatives, including Newt Gingrich, voted to impeach Pres. Clinton. 50 U.S. Senators, including John McCain voted to convict and remove President Clinton from office. Of course the impeachment of President Clinton over sexual indiscretions was a disgrace. My point is that all these people who either did not vote for Clinton, or were ready to throw him out of office, are now hailing him as such a great President, mainly because they hate and oppose President Obama. Having said that, I am glad that President Clinton is supporting President Obama. I just reject the media and Republicans who try to divide the Democrats by pretending to love Bill Clinton now when they couldn’t stand him when he was running for president or when he was president.

4. 23 susanne
    September 17, 2012 at 9:48 pm

here’s some news that’s not funny:

‘ Mitt Romney received his first intelligence briefing from President Barack Obama’s administration on Monday, a courtesy extended to him as the Republican presidential candidate. ‘

• 24 Claire
      September 17, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I hope they explained to willard in the briefing that US military serving in combat zones do not pay federal income tax.

• 25 susanne
        September 17, 2012 at 10:10 pm

article says they spoke to him for 2 hours–in such a short time, they probably only got through the parts about the earth being round, and traveling around the sun, then possibly a little on the names of the continents and what countries are where at this point in history.

• 26 99ts
          September 17, 2012 at 10:24 pm

LOL also too ROFL – except in relation to the political geography of the world it is probably true

September 17, 2012 at 11:13 pm

susanne – Just loved your comment! You definitely summed it up perfectly. Of course, it’s only funny if we see and hear the last of Romney in November, when he finally gets off the national stage and goes back to the horse farm to dwell in obscurity with Queen Ann. :)

• 28 susanne
            September 17, 2012 at 11:46 pm

so true–nothing funny about how close this clown is to the presidency.

September 18, 2012 at 12:31 am

Hard to believe the candidates on the other side could have gotten worse in 2012 than they were in 2008 – and it’s actually a toss-up, since all four are scarier than hell – but here we go again. I don’t drink much, but I’ll be swilling down the white wine on election night when I’m celebrating the O’Landslide!!!!

• 32 smoothscotch
      September 17, 2012 at 10:33 pm

I hope he knows to keep his damn mouth shut. He’s sworn to secrecy right? on penalty of treason, I hope.

• 33 idon
        September 17, 2012 at 10:48 pm

mittnocchio has already committed treason when he allowed adelson and netanyahu to spend some of the 100 million in the Middle East on sick film, protesters, and the assualt team who killed four American patriots..

5. September 17, 2012 at 9:53 pm
  6. 37 prettyfoot58
    September 17, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I know that Pakistan has nuclear weapons and there is a concern about the disposition of those weapons…

question to the TOD FAm…..what would happen if we ceased trying to train the soldiers who are killing our soldiers …suppose the President ups the departure time to say 2013….can this be done…would he do it….

7. 38 maureen28
    September 17, 2012 at 9:58 pm

K.

This is getting really bad…This is from Obama & his people. Read what Obama and staff are talking about what is going to happen.

In addition this is a better film. More footage is coming out tomorrow!!

At the end of the of the talking points. The film is a lot better.

X.m

Sent from my iPhone

Maureen Sullivan Stemberg

8. September 17, 2012 at 10:00 pm

David Corn with Lawrence on Last Word in 1 min …

9. 44 donna dem 4 obama
    September 17, 2012 at 10:01 pm
  10. 48 lisalovesobama
    September 17, 2012 at 10:02 pm

So glad The Cow is keeping everything realistic with the whole “Romney is Doomed” meme. Still get out and vote, register and donate! I was on TPM and it was like the commenters were throwing a party. Not so easy peasy. Keep your head down, do your part and vote like your life depends on it!!!

• September 17, 2012 at 10:10 pm

This ain’t the time to party, Lisa, as you know. This is the time to go full bore on leveraging every bit of information we have to reveal to every American how vile and dangerous #RomneyRyan are. We have their own words, now let’s make maximum use of them.

We are in the fight of our lives and of our Republic. You are correct, register everyone and vote like your life depends on it, because it actually does.

• 50 nathkatun7
      September 17, 2012 at 11:33 pm

I am a very strong believer that it’s premature to claim easy victories over just one incident. We still have more than one month and half before Nov.6. That’s a lifetime in politics.

11. 51 Ladyhawke
    September 17, 2012 at 10:03 pm

FRANK RICH: “MY EMBED IN RED”

My Embed in Red

By Frank Rich – New York Magazine

———————————-

A week steeped in right-wing media reveals a Republican Party far more despairing than the lamestream knows.

———————————-

Rachel Maddow interviewed Frank Rich tonight about this article.

12. 52 lamh35
    September 17, 2012 at 10:06 pm

wow Mitt doubling down. has press conference not live on record.

Zeke Miller ‏@ZekeJMiller
    RT @hollybdc: Romney: “This is the same message i give to people” in public

13. 57 lamh35
    September 17, 2012 at 10:09 pm

The Fix ‏@TheFix
    RT @hollybdc: “Romney: ‘This is the same message i give to people’ in public”

• 58 lisalovesobama
      September 17, 2012 at 10:14 pm

LIAR, LIAR!!!!

• 59 daisydem
      September 17, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Then they WERE NOT ‘”OFF THE CUFF” as is quoted below? He is flip-flopping on his own cover your ass response. Either he gives this message (which is horrible) or it was just off the cuff. Come on Mitt … which is it? We all know. This is how you really feel about “us.” And guess what? You don’t have our vote, you never had our vote, you will never, ever have our vote … for anything!

14. 60 lisalovesobama
    September 17, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Willard said that the remarks were “inelegantly stated and off the cuff.”

15. 61 dotster3
    September 17, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Willard’s “apology” tonight—-his comments were “inelegantly stated” and “off the cuff”——wow—–weak. Off the cuff excuses anything? It makes it worse.

16. 62 lamh35
    September 17, 2012 at 10:13 pm

‏@hollybdc
    Romney says his argument wasn’t “elegantly stated” but suggests he stands by the jist of his message in the video

17. 63 dotster3
    September 17, 2012 at 10:16 pm
  18. September 17, 2012 at 10:21 pm
    • 66 0388jojothecat
      September 17, 2012 at 10:38 pm

THIS is the man that’s gonna take on CHINA? Who in their right mind would BELIEVE people are barbed wired inside a factory, work long hours, stand outside HOPING one of the workers wouldn’t come back, sneek in and start working for FREE…..What world does he live in?

19. 68 Claire
    September 17, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Chips, time to set a new fundraising goal. :)

September 17, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Mitt Romney is the village idiot. He called a presser and said his words were not “elegantly stated” and then said this:

WTF? He doesn’t even get that what he said was disgusting.

21. 71 0388jojothecat
    September 17, 2012 at 10:24 pm

This is the campaign that was going to “attack” Obama for his “mistakes”. Oh brother…..

22. 72 auntsis522
    September 17, 2012 at 10:26 pm

I am one of the 47% that voted for PBO. I am not a victim. I do not depend on the government for help. I work everyday and pay 35% in taxes.

23. September 17, 2012 at 10:28 pm

WTF was that? You see that?

September 17, 2012 at 10:30 pm

The presser Romney called is the sign of a desperate sinking campaign. The video of the presser is worse than just reading his words. He truly doesn’t seem to understand how insulting his vulgar remarks about the 47% were. What kind of an asshole thinks that his message was about focusing on the people in the middle.

Overprivileged douche nozzle.

• 76 0388jojothecat
      September 17, 2012 at 10:32 pm

I guess he’ll send Queen Anne out to say “I Love the poor”!

• September 17, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Indeed, UT, but the thing is David Corn has set him up brilliantly. He started with the segment that effectively trashes half the American electorate. Now, he can follow with the Hispanic comments. And then move to the Chinese sweat shop that #BainMitt invested (and which Corn has already reported details). And then …. who knows what else is on that video that hasn’t been released.

This story has just begun ….

#FORWARD

• September 17, 2012 at 10:37 pm

How can he possibly believe that he could have stated those comments “elegantly?” Mitt Romney was definitely speaking “off the cuff” which means he was saying what he really felt unscripted. Wow is all I can say.

• 79 LunarSea
        September 17, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Bet $10,000 it was Ann who said he didn’t say it ‘elegantly’. I can see her with all her stuffiness thinking surely if he just said it more ‘elegantly’ those people would understand. ha ha

• September 18, 2012 at 12:38 am

He didn’t say he was focusing on helping the people in the middle. A sharp-shooter focuses on his target before he destroys them – same thing with Romney. He wants to destroy the middle class, and to do that – you have to focus on the target.

25. September 17, 2012 at 10:30 pm

These are good …. :D :D

You are truly watching this guys campaign implode – in real time, in the 1st ever ‘Twitterized US Election’ ;)

26. 86 0388jojothecat
    September 17, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I voted for President Obama and I am a state worker, a union member, middle class (not according to Robme), who pays 28%i in Federal Taxes, I pay another 6 – 7% in state taxes, I pay a lot of sales, payroll, taxes…I give to charities, I help others who are less fortunate than myself….this guy is the worst candidate and anyone who votes for him to get him elected who works, makes less than $250K are idiots!

27. 87 anniebella
    September 17, 2012 at 10:33 pm

I expect things to get dirty, nasty. I expect the right wing nuts to blame President Obama for that just release Romney video.

28. 88 99ts
    September 17, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Just reading up on the First Lady – and had to laugh at this “both sides” effort

Mrs Obama spoke to crowds of 10,750 and 8,850. A Bush junior spoke to “about two dozen members of FSU’s young republican club.

I do know you all have to work very hard for the next 50 days – and think you are all amazing with what you do – it is wonderful to see the efforts rewarded by the esteem felt for your POTUS and FLOTUS.

I can do little, but love this site http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=PBO

• 89 donna dem 4 obama
      September 17, 2012 at 10:48 pm

TWO DOZEN compared to 10,750 and its characterized as both sides court the youth vote. SMH :roll:

September 17, 2012 at 11:06 pm

I loved FLOTUS visit to Florida today. I can just imagine her conversation with POTUS when they got back home tonight. FLOTUS will be in North Carolina Wednesday.

• 91 theo67
        September 18, 2012 at 12:43 am

Well, technically, both sides ARE courting the youth vote. It’s just that one side is failing dismally, while the other side is soaring.

29. 92 Ladyhawke
    September 17, 2012 at 10:34 pm

ROMNEY’S CAMPAIGN STRATEGY SEEMS TO BE CONTEMPT FOR THE NEWS MEDIA (AND THE VOTERS).

The Mendacity Is The Message

By Paul Krugman

———————————

The core of Romney’s campaign strategy seems to be contempt for the news media (and the voters), the belief that he can say anything and pay no price — which was the way things worked for Bush. But maybe, just maybe, his calculation was wrong, and serial dishonesty will become, justifiably, part of the narrative.

———————————-

• 93 nathkatun7
      September 18, 2012 at 12:14 am

I wish people like Krugman would use plain language. Bottom line is: Mitt Romney’s campaign is based on telling lies. He knows that the Media have no guts to expose his lies. Americans who rely on the so called mainstream media will never know that what Romney says about the President are blatant lies.

30. 94 dotster3
    September 17, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I was thinking about this too—–and was reminded by that segment on MHP last week—–and being in the Chgo area, I have seen it up close and personal——-from the beginning—–all of Obama’s opponents self-destruct sooner or later. In his Senate race, I think 3 hot prospects did. McCain certainly did. Pretty amazing.

• 95 99ts
      September 17, 2012 at 11:14 pm

And still some folks call PBO “Lucky”. From the link
      “What is clear is that President Obama has been tested throughout his presidency with challenges from all sides, foreign and domestic. He’s repeatedly shown an ability to respond carefully to any 3 a.m. test that comes his way, frustrating opponents and revealing them to be unfit to lead” – Intelligent, careful and caring – not luck.

• 96 EricFive
        September 17, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Thorough preparation makes its own luck. PBO is always the smartest person in the room because he always does his homework and is extraordinarily gifted. There is a reason most of the GOP’s big guns stayed out of the 2012 election and are instead positioning for a 2016 run: They realize that despite the painfully slow economic recovery, PBO is a formidable politician who is favored to win re-election. The leak of this video of Mitt disparaging 47% of the electorate could be the death blow to Mitt’s campaign. He is trying to spin this to make lemonade from the lemons, by doubling down on his offensive and insensitive statements. This will please his base but (1) Mitt’s base is not big enough to win the presidency, he needs moderates and independent voters and (2) if Mitt still finds it necessary to go this far to the right to placate his base at this late date, then it is the GOP that has the “enthusiasm gap” going into the election.

• September 18, 2012 at 12:14 am

I agree….the idiotic “enthusiasm gap” meme is a problem Romney is having. Their projections and speeches are under the guise its to the whole country but its only ever been to their base.

31. 98 anniebella
    September 17, 2012 at 10:37 pm

When he said he wasn’t concern about the poor, he meant it.

September 17, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Remember when we would talk about how Mitt and Ann Romney act as if they are superior to we the people. We are beneath them. We think we are owed things from the government, we don’t pay any taxes. we don’t work hard.

• 100 LunarSea
      September 17, 2012 at 11:42 pm

yup. when they tell you who they are, believe them

32. 101 dotster3
    September 17, 2012 at 10:41 pm
  33. September 17, 2012 at 10:41 pm

How about if we donate $47 dollars tonight. We could do it as 4+7=$11, or any combination. Love you all!!!

34. 105 donna dem 4 obama
    September 17, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I completely agree!!!

35. 106 dotster3
    September 17, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Laughing at this—-someone should have brushed his hair—–looked rough. Willard did look all disheveled.

• 107 HZ
      September 17, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Good Evening to my TOD family. Been out all day working with registering and talking in the afternoon to younger voters about the issues. Had a great time and very interesting questions. Gave out some important places to get information. I asked that they promise themselves to make this about them, first.

I had just come from an appt., and my hair showed my years, so I told them that I am doing this, not just for me, but for their children’s futures and their children’s futures. And there is no better person who has their backs than POB and VPBiden. I had some very polite but very interested young people who had not given a lot of thought to just those words. I put it in plain terms about the future of women’s rights, their grandparents medical benefits, how the next president will probably nominate at least 2-3 SCOTUS Justices in the next four years.. This really got their attention.

It was worth the time, the effort, and the fatigue afterwards. Tomorrow is another day for doctors’ orders. I did not tell them how much time I spent out today. But I will be careful.

Speaking of FR pages, I could hope that I can make my goal before it is too late. Thank you all so very much.HZ

• 108 nathkatun7
        September 18, 2012 at 12:24 am

Thanks HZ for doing a wonderful job! Young people are indeed out future. I am glad you took some time to have a conversation with them and to inspire them to realize that the future of the country is as much in their hands as it is with older people.

36. 109 COS
    September 17, 2012 at 10:45 pm

While Robney’s campaign is imploding, these pacs are probably concentrating more on taking over the Senate and maintaining the House

37. 111 smoothscotch
    September 17, 2012 at 10:46 pm

I stopped by huffpo and looked at the Robme debacle headline, scrolled down and there were, count em, 47k responses and counting.more pissed off people than trolls.

38. September 17, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Cannot wait to see what Joe Scarbourough has to say tomorrow morning. Its going to be very interesting. I bet the right wingnuts blogos must be going nuts.

39. 113 Claire
    September 17, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Does willard have 5 grandmothers?

40. September 17, 2012 at 10:50 pm
  41. September 17, 2012 at 10:53 pm
  42. September 17, 2012 at 10:53 pm
    September 17, 2012 at 10:56 pm

LMAO! This is another act of desperation that is likely going to backfire big time, but just thought I would post it as an FYI-

// The narrative in the piece is not uplifting, but its goal is tapping into a sentiment that exists among voters of disappointment that Obama didn’t live up to their high expectations, and which Obama’s campaign has tried to push back against. Republicans have tried to tap into that sense of disillusionment, in particular with a Republican National Committee ad that tells voters it’s okay for them to make a change. Obama has sought to acknowledge disappointment, while saying he needs more time to fix a problem of large magnitude.

The movie will run in its 60-minute entirety in an agreement with six cable networks like HDNet Movies and FamilyNet, along with local stations in Louisiana, Colorado, Indiana, Hawaii and Louisiana. It will reach 130 million homes, according to Citizens United, coupled with advertising dollars about the movie on cable networks. That will come on top of a flood of Mitt Romney campaign spending, and super PAC spending, in the final seven weeks of the race. The voters “bought into that hope [Obama] would be different, he would be someone who would bring the world together and now it’s more divided today,” Bossie said. “Those types of messages are really what’s important.” He said the group has also been focus-grouping the film with pollster Frank Luntz’s dial groups, and said, “The numbers are phenomenal.” //

I for one, will boycott any cable news or network channel that airs this garbage.

September 17, 2012 at 10:58 pm

I forgot to say what it was – this an anti-Obama movie produced by Citizens United that will air next week on 12 cable channels.

• 120 donna dem 4 obama
        September 17, 2012 at 11:06 pm

They better hope that Romney hasn’t dropped out of the race by the time this is scheduled to air.

September 17, 2012 at 11:09 pm

LOL! And seriously, whose going to watch this nonsense? And If they really want to play that game, I’m betting PBO can find 4,000 republicans who voted for McCain in 2008 but are now voting for him.

44. September 17, 2012 at 10:57 pm
    • 123 Claire
      September 17, 2012 at 10:58 pm

The only thing left for mittens to do is eat a baby live on national TV.

• 127 utaustinliberal
      September 17, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Ain’t smirking now eh douchebag.

September 17, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Family, let’s continue to work our behinds off to re-elect our President. It ain’t over till it’s over, and we better continue to register voters, get them to the polls, and re-elect President Obama and VP Biden. The other side is going to play even nasty then they have, they will lie even more then they have all ready, so we have to keep fighting, fight till we can’t fight anymore.

• 130 99ts
        September 17, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Diplomats dying – that’s worth a smirk – Romney exposed saying how he hates half of America – time for very serious face.

• 131 sabreen60
      September 17, 2012 at 11:43 pm

When I saw him what immediately came to mind was “Nixon”.

• 132 EWOK2
      September 17, 2012 at 11:59 pm

This is the expression he should have had when he tried to be political about the killing of the US Ambassador. Since this is about him, he looks concerned. A pathetic human being he is.

• 133 theo67
      September 18, 2012 at 1:36 am

People are right – he does look disheveled. I really detest this persn – I can’t even call him a “man”.

45. 134 Pamela
    September 17, 2012 at 10:58 pm

The events of this day leave me wondering if Myth Robney has ever heard the word “Democracy”? Now, I shall bid ye all a GoodNight! Mega day coming up tomorrow, don’t think I’ll be around much, maybe late late late…. Sweet dreams TOD!

46. 136 donna dem 4 obama
    September 17, 2012 at 10:59 pm

We’re all over the place. ;)

• 137 Elly in Maryland
      September 17, 2012 at 11:26 pm

in 2008 I had flowers in my garden that spelled out OBAMA, but they were hard to maintain so I gave up. Maybe I just better try again – maybe some begonias??

• 138 0388jojothecat
      September 17, 2012 at 11:36 pm

LAZY NO GOOD, PROPERTY TAX PAYING, INCOME TAX PAYING, OBAMA SUPPORTER LOOKING FOR FREE STUFF FROM THE RICH. :)

• 139 nathkatun7
        September 18, 2012 at 1:05 am

That’s me too, Jojothecat! I have yet to enjoy any free stuff from the rich. Even more distressing, I’ve been paying federal, state, payroll and sales, taxes for 48 years. On top of that, I’ve been paying property taxes since 1983. I wish I knew that as an Obama supporter I didn’t have to pay taxes. Since I am a very strong and loyal Obama supporter, I wish Romney would direct me to where I can get all the free stuff from the government that all Obama supporters have been enjoying that I’ve missed out from for the past four years. I also wish Mitt Romney (or all of you irresponsible Obama supporters that have been holding out on me) would show me how I can get away from paying no taxes now that Obama is still President. I sure could use the money I saved by not paying taxes to donate to PBO re-election, instead of sending a measly $10-20 now and then. But even more importantly, I could have used all the money I paid in taxes to pay for my daughter’s college education so that she is not saddled with a hefty debt after she graduated. On the other hand, If Obama supporters stopped paying taxes only on Jan 20, 2009, I probably wouldn’t have saved enough money to help my daughter pay-off her college/graduate school loans.

• 140 theo67
          September 18, 2012 at 1:39 am

Yeah – I’d like that top secret information, too. Little did I know I could have stopped working on January 20, 2009 – I could have had much more time to spend on TOD, following President Obama around! :)

47. 143 dotster3
    September 17, 2012 at 11:00 pm
  48. September 17, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Is there any video of FLOTUS singing that Tooty Ta song? We sing it in my classroom and it would be a blast for my kids to see it.

49. September 17, 2012 at 11:01 pm

I have seen many ads on that Show Revolution, tonight. All OFA ads.
    Nice!

September 17, 2012 at 11:03 pm

The part of the Romney presser that cracked me up was when he said the person who recorded the video should release the full video (I guess he thinks the full video validates him….what a moron). He was essentially daring the media. He hasn’t yet realized that David Corn isn’t one of the lapdogs that suck up to him.

51. September 17, 2012 at 11:04 pm

52. September 17, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Thought you all might enjoy this bit of a laugh from Nick Kristoff on twitter:

September 17, 2012 at 11:12 pm

BOOM!

September 17, 2012 at 11:15 pm
  55. 157 donna dem 4 obama
    September 17, 2012 at 11:16 pm

N-E-V-E-R

56. 159 lamh35
    September 17, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Watched Romney presser.

watched it on Lawerence O’Donnell’s show.

First of all, no denial that the video was him.

Second, Romney appeared mussed and wired. Mitts hair is all mussed up and his face was damn near Boehner colored.

It was NOT a good look.

Thirdly, he doubled down on his remarks.

Zeke Miller ‏@ZekeJMiller
    RT @hollybdc: Romney: “This is the same message i give to people” in public

‏@hollybdc

• 160 COS
      September 17, 2012 at 11:24 pm

I think this is really going to stick. This is another “Bain” moment for Robney. It is only 1 month before the election.

57. 161 donna dem 4 obama
    September 17, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Amk had better wake up. He is missing out on all the fun ;)

58. September 17, 2012 at 11:18 pm
    • 163 theo67
      September 18, 2012 at 1:45 am

I love that the Obama campaign are so visibly watching all this nonsense along with the rest of us (as frustrating as it is).

59. September 17, 2012 at 11:22 pm
  60. September 17, 2012 at 11:24 pm

the Media will help mitt out of this people This is not a loaded Gun! This thing is still very close, just keep working and send money to Obama.
    Obama going to need more of us to step up. This thing is going to get real bad.

• 168 EricFive
      September 18, 2012 at 12:15 am

THe media will TRY to help Mitt get out of this mess, as the media has TRIED to provide cover for Mitt’s disasterous campaign since he got the nomination. This video is a yet another blow to Mitt’s teetering campaign, I don’t think Mitt wanted this video to become public, he and his surrogates are spinning and lying, as usual. You don’t insult 47% of the nation when you are running for president. The GOP base is not large enough to win the presidency and this lastest fuck up will hurt Mitt with Independent and moderate voters. I just hope that Mitt stays in the race b/c this could be a landslide mandate for PBO. From the look of Mitt at his presser, he is becoming unraveled.

• 169 COS
        September 18, 2012 at 12:26 am

They have already pulled the “clinging to guns….. statement from cold storage. Ms. Greenspan doubled down on that statement. Tweety had to reign her in and let her know that he was discussing Robmey’s statement.

61. 170 susanne
    September 17, 2012 at 11:31 pm

how come robmey the ace business consultant is so bad at managing a campaign team? analysis by issenberg at slate:

‘ Mitt Romney the consultant may have been a scientist of business. Mitt Romney the candidate wanted to hire a magical stranger. And he got his man. ‘
    ~
    ‘ “I have a very good team of extraordinarily experienced, highly successful consultants, a couple of people in particular who have done races around the world. I didn’t realize it. These guys in the US—the Karl Rove equivalents—they do races all over the world: in Armenia, in Africa, in Israel. I mean, they work for Bibi Netanyahu in his race. So they do these races and they see which ads work, and which processes work best, and we have ideas about what we do over the course of the campaign. I’d tell them to you, but I’d have to shoot you.”
    —Mitt Romney ‘

• 171 Cha
      September 18, 2012 at 1:01 am

Thanks, susanne!

• 172 Cha
      September 18, 2012 at 1:15 am

““Politics is like sports…A lot of people have ideas, and there’s no right or wrong. You just have to chart a course, and stay on that course.”
      —Stuart Stevens

From your link, susanne.. Which leads me to Romney’s “sport”. I think it’s Dodgeball and he’s getting Clobbered.

September 17, 2012 at 11:41 pm

American Bridge video…OUCH!

63. September 17, 2012 at 11:43 pm

How ODD.My wife and I and dozens maybe a 100+ of friends and family, colleagues and acquaintances are successful, hardworking professionals and small business owners. Almost all of us have supported the President and continue to support him. We think we want a better country that fulfills its magnificent potential. We did NOT even know we were dependent and entitled victims that don’t take care of our responsibilities and care for our lives. Good to know!

• 181 donna dem 4 obama
      September 17, 2012 at 11:50 pm

So you see magapie, you learn something new everyday! Who would have thunk it ;)

• 182 0388jojothecat
        September 18, 2012 at 12:03 am

There are a lot of middle class, business owners, movie stars, etc., who are in that 47 – 49% that Robme calls freeloaders.

• 183 sabreen60
      September 17, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Mitt is an idiot. President Obama won by about 66 million votes. So I guess he’s saying that 66 million people are moochers who live off the government.

• 184 donna dem 4 obama
        September 17, 2012 at 11:54 pm

That would be correct sabreen60 :roll:

• 185 nathkatun7
        September 18, 2012 at 1:48 am

Thanks for that reminder, Sabreen60. I wonder how many votes George W. Bush got both in 2000 and 2004? We of course know that the majority of Americans voted for Al Gore in 2000. If I am not mistaken, I think Al Gore received 1/2 million more votes than George W. Bush. But then U.S. Supreme Court appointed Bush President although the majority of Americans voted against him. Again, correct me If I am wrong, I think that President Obama received 16 million more votes in 2008 than George Bush received in 2000. If I am correct, this means than George W. Bush created 16 million more “moochers who live off the government.”

64. 186 Rita
    September 17, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Want the juicy details on Marc Leder, the Sun Capital Partners honcho at whose home the Mitt’s secret videotape was filmed?

“Sources say Leder, said to be worth $400 million, has been on a partying jag since his wife of 22 years, Lisa, cheated on him with a 23-year-old tennis instructor in 2009.”

September 17, 2012 at 11:49 pm

I read at TPM he’s known for throwing some rip roaring parties!

David Corn just said on TV that the now infamous Romney fundraiser was held in Boca Raton, Florida at the estate of hedge fund manager Marc Leder.

According to the New York Post, Leder throws a pretty mean party.

His “wild end-of-summer bash was the talk of the Hamptons this year,” the Post reported last December. “At the Bridgehampton home that Leder rented for a whopping $500,000 a month, guests cavorted nude in a pool and performed sex acts, while scantily clad Russian women danced on platforms. Dancers at the party also twirled flaming torches to booming beats.”

• 188 99ts
        September 18, 2012 at 12:40 am

I find that level of wealth truly obscene – and that it is used in this fashion just doubles down on my original thought.

• 189 theo67
          September 18, 2012 at 1:53 am

That’s the real Sodom and Gomorrah. Immoral and depraved.

• 190 99ts
            September 18, 2012 at 3:04 am

I’m not much into religion Theo, and certainly not envious of other people’s earned (or even unearned) wealth – but how much does 1 person – or 1 family need? While such a large number of people are unemployed, on low wages and/or without a warm place to sleep, acting this way – I would probably call amoral – they have no morals at all – they cannot see how their behavior might be viewed by others – it leads one into thinking about the downfall of civilization – and Sodom and Gomorrah.

• 191 theo67
              September 18, 2012 at 1:04 pm

So right – I have been religious in my time, but you got my point exactly. It’s my understanding that the tale of Sodom and Gomorrah is not a message about homosexuality, as some would have it, but a message about losing your morality and becoming amoral – as you’ve said. They had lost all sense of decency, and were so out of control.

This group of right wingers has become so vile, so base, that they applaud the thought of dead Americans who die simply because they can’t afford to live. They applaud the country losing out on a proud tradition such as hosting the Olympics, simply because they are filled with spite and hate. They teach their kids to hate people who are different from themselves, and they allow themselves to see the worst in others before even attempting to see the best in others. They feed off of bad news, as long as it’s the “other guy” who’s experiencing it. And they call themselves Americans, but despise their fellow Americans,simply because they believe something different.

So many of them are voting against their own best interests, because they’ve allowed themselves to become so bitter and filled with fear and hate, that they can’t see the forest for the trees. They must get a message that leaves no element of uncertainty about how vile and reprehensible they are, and how unwelcome their racist, bigoted, indefensible attitudes are to civilized people. The world does not want another Republican president, and I’m sure the world will not follow a country led by such a person as Romney – who states that he’s not interested in seeking peace in the middle east, or caring for the underprivileged or talking to those who disagree with him. He’s bad, and he’ll be the downfall of this country.

• 192 nathkatun7
        September 18, 2012 at 1:56 am

Are these the same people who claim to be moral “Values Voters?” Right wing hypocrisy is truly breathtaking.

65. 193 donna dem 4 obama
    September 17, 2012 at 11:44 pm

For all who watch this jerk daily be prepared to a big dose of “both sides do it so no big deal”. I wouldn’t waste my time.

• 194 magapie
      September 17, 2012 at 11:49 pm

He drove drunk and killed a family of four. Oh yeah?? Well what ABOUT HIM? He scraped a car in the grocery store parking lot!!!

• 195 Claire
      September 17, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Complete failure joe.

• 196 Vicky
      September 17, 2012 at 11:52 pm

PBO was empathetic in his remarks, understanding. Romney was contemptuous.

• 197 nathkatun7
        September 18, 2012 at 2:05 am

Exactly, Vicky! I dare the corrupt media to play the entire segments of both President Obama’s and Mitt Romney’s speeches and then let the American people decide. Of Course Joe Scarborough is only interested in the splicing PBO’s speech out of contest to make it look like he was disrespecting people in small towns. At no time did President Obama say that he is not at all concerned about any segment of society.

• September 17, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Tweet him back-
      McCain made an even worse remark- the fundamentals of the economy are strong, right after Leehmsn Brothers!

September 17, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Hay Morning Joke, make yourself feel better anyway you can. While you are doing that, we will continue with our mission, re-electing Barack Obama.

• 200 susanne
        September 18, 2012 at 12:54 am

amen, anniebella! they can start their pity partying now, and just leave the rest of us be. we have a president to support, and a country to serve.

• September 18, 2012 at 12:15 am
        September 18, 2012 at 12:42 am

Good one, Bobfr. I gave it a little snarky response on Twitter, for Joe’s benefit.

• 204 Cha
        September 18, 2012 at 12:59 am

No, Ignorant Joe..stop with your False Equivalencies. What then Senator Obama said was true and what mitt the shitt said was False. Willard came off as an even bigger slimeball than imagined.. You better buy stock in a Lipstick Company, Joe.

• 205 nathkatun7
        September 18, 2012 at 2:19 am

Thank you so much Bob! You speak so forthrightly on behalf of many of us who have yet to master the art/science of twitting. Many of the media people, like Joe Scarborough and Andrea Mitchell, have indeed hit rock bottom! I dare Scarborough to air, side by side, the entire segments of then Candidate Obama’s statement and this Mitt Romney’s statement. No splicing, no out of context quotes with talking heads commenting on what it is that was said. Just air both of them, side by side, in their entirety, and then let the American people decide who is telling the truth with empathy and who is lying while denigrating people. While we are at it can we please see Mitt Romney’s tax returns, for at least the six years that he has been running for president, to prove that, unlike all of us maligned Obama supporters, he actually paid his taxes?

• 206 LDS
      September 18, 2012 at 12:36 am

Sorry, my friend this is passed reckless. This is EVIL!
      McCain is rich and old. But at least he served this country before he helped fuck it up.
      This vile man ran away to France and not one of his privileged sons even enlisted in the National Guards.
      I think of the woman at the Dem Convention who has five sons serving in active duty.
      Are they part of the 47%?

This man is so repulsive. I cannot imagine living with this crap of shit every day regardless of his money.

• 207 99ts
      September 18, 2012 at 12:53 am

Link from your tweet Donna – ty
      “Like Chait, I found Romney’s comments genuinely shocking. I thought this was caricature Mitt Romney, the born-to-privilege millionaire who holds average working people in contempt as hopeless losers driven to suck money for productive people like Mitt Romney. But this is actually the real Mitt Romney.”

September 17, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Romney made the original comments at the “Boca Raton home of private-equity executive Marc Leder on May 17.” Leder, is the co-CEO of the private equity firm Sun Capital, which has a reputation for bankrupting companies in the pursuit of profit. “Since 2008, some 25 of its companies — roughly one of every five it owns — have filed for bankruptcy.” Not only that, but the company was accused by the federal Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC) just a few months ago of intentionally pushing a company into bankruptcy in order to avoid paying workers’ pensions.
    Corn explained on MSNBC Monday evening, “The fact that Mitt Romney has not challenged a word here shows you that this is what he said, this is what he said behind closed doors with a bunch of other millionaires he felt quite comfortable with.”

67. 210 cookemom
    September 18, 2012 at 12:13 am

Had to leave for most of the evening. what’d I miss? haha, just kidding. I got it all, even the network news coverage with Brian Williams. You know it’s bad when stuff hit the network evening news. More eyeballs and for those who weren’t really following this stuff like we do, it’s gonna cause them to look further into this Mitt person.

68. September 18, 2012 at 12:27 am

And this moron is only 3% behind President Obama? God help us.

• 212 theo67
      September 18, 2012 at 1:59 am

Yeah – that’s the worst part. He could still become president if people don’t come out and vote. This vile person could be president.

69. 213 donna dem 4 obama
    September 18, 2012 at 12:31 am

I’m off to zzzzzz land. Twitter Brigade we should be prepared to pushback on the lazy, sloppy, no-good media tomorrow who will want to sweep this under the rug with their both sides do it meme.

Good Nite all!!

70. September 18, 2012 at 12:41 am

This 47%ter is saying goodnight…have to get up in time for my govt. handout.

September 18, 2012 at 12:50 am

HOPE44 – I’ll meet you at the virtual mailbox in the morning! I’m kind of in the triple-dipper wing of the 47%ers. Worked for 30 years for my federal pension, which I paid into; am old enough to collect Social Security which, of course, I paid into, and also am now old enough to use Medicare along with my other federal employee/retiree health benefits I’ve been paying for since 1966. Just love those government handouts, which I truly – as a Democrat – feel entitled to, at least 47 percent of ‘em. Thank you, Jesus, the Democratic Party, and President Obama!

• 217 jackiegrumbacher
        September 18, 2012 at 9:02 am

I’m in your shoes, JOB. Worked for my modest private pension, which is now invested, collect Social Security, which I paid into for 40 years and am on Medicare, which I also contributed to for decades. I guess we’re dependent, irresponsible, moochers. Who knew?

September 18, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Yes, Jackie, who knew all of those years – when we got up before the sun and headed to our places of employment – we’d later be known as moochers. Ha!

September 18, 2012 at 12:42 am

r-money’s ‘boy, i fucked up big time’ moment goes international.

Wake the fuck up america.

72. 223 lamh35
    September 18, 2012 at 12:51 am

Has POTUS already recorded the Letterman interview? If not be interested to see if #47Percent comes up.

73. 224 susanne
    September 18, 2012 at 1:01 am

wapo fact checks robmey’s inelegant spew:

‘ We will leave aside the politics of this impolitic chat by the GOP nominee. How factual are his statements? ‘
    ~
    ‘ The Pinocchio Test

Perhaps it is too much to expect a politician to be entirely accurate in a closed door speech, but one would think he would have even less need to stretch the truth if he thinks the cameras are not rolling. Unfortunately for Romney, at least one camera captured his misleading picture of the electorate.

Three Pinocchios ‘

• 225 99ts
      September 18, 2012 at 1:47 am

It must have been the GOP’s turn – Kessler just takes things in turn in an attempt to get both sides to read his posts. He lost any semblance of fact checking truth with this
      then again – a stopped clock is right twice a day

• 226 susanne
        September 18, 2012 at 2:03 am

all true, 99. mostly i like the snarky bits, like when he asks, why would myth bother to lie among his elite buddies?good question, eh? clearly, he was speaking ‘off the cuff’ and saying things he must know would sound bad outside that room. in that context, lying is absurd, unless he thinks he’s snowing those big money buddies of his. possibly they expect that of him, but it’s ugly, just the same.

• 227 99ts
          September 18, 2012 at 2:59 am

Hi Susanne, I just listened to the clip on Rachel, and Mitt didn’t even answer the question his supporter (big money donor) asked. He just ranted against poor people. Question was – “How are you going to do it, in 2 months before the elections to convince everybody, you’ve got to take care of yourself”

Mitt’s answer was to say he wasn’t going to try – the 47% can’t be convinced. I don’t know how anyone could give money to a campaign that just gave 47% of the population to the opposition party. As many have said, President Obama believes – and says – EVERY person is worth fighting for – he is the President for all Americans.

I hope MotherJones eventually releases the complete 1 hour – would be interesting to hear any replies to his comments – “off with their heads” seems likely.

74. 228 FoxfireTX
    September 18, 2012 at 1:06 am

OK, we already know that the false equivalency folks will be at it in the morning. But not everyone’s buying it. Jonathan Chait does a nice job of explaining that while PBO’s remark may have been inartfully stated, he was saying the exact OPPPOSITE of what Romney stated:

“Obama was aspiring to become president of all of America, even that part most hostile to him, in the belief that what they shared mattered more than what divided them. Romney genuinely seems to conceive of the lowest-earning half of the population as implacably hostile parasites.”

• 229 nathkatun7
      September 18, 2012 at 3:00 am

Thanks FoxfireTX for sharing this. After reading this piece, my respect for Jonathan Chait, has increased exponentially! I’ve been clamoring for an objective analysis by those trying to advance the false meme that what candidate Obama said in 2008, about small towns, was equivalent to what Romney said about 47% who support the President. Chait is the first journalist who has demonstrated the difference between an empathetic statement (perhaps in artfully framed) and a derogatory statement which is dismissive of almost half of the population. Sadly, of course, most right wingers are applauding — including those that Romney looks down upon.

75. 230 EricFive
    September 18, 2012 at 1:10 am

What Mitt said at that fund raiser is so offensive and heartless there is no way he wanted that to go public. Just last week Mitt was quoted as saying that “middle class” meant $200,000-$250,000 annual income. He does not need to burnish his image as a heartless plutocrat. In addition, I doubt that he wanted to bring up who does or does not pay taxes, since he refuses to release his returns. Don’t fall for the spin and bullshit coming from the right. Just as they did not want Todd Akins’ views on rape to become public, neither did they want half of the country to know what the GOP really thinks of them (especially not 50 days before election day). The fabled GOP base is not large enough to win the presidency, it never has been. That is why historically GOP candidates would have already “moved to the center” at this point in the election cycle (a la GWB’s “Compassionate Conservatism”). Mitt’s base does not trust him, so he cannot effectively court the Independents and moderates that he needs (remember he tried to when on MTP when he said he would keep parts of Obamacare, only to flipflop later that afternoon). He is a desperate and deeply flawed candidate, the debates will definitely be Must See TV.

76. 231 susanne
    September 18, 2012 at 1:11 am

i just slunk over to huffypuffy, and their huge headlines and photo of myth are devastatingly negative. over 67,000 comments so far, putting the lie to the notion that nobody cares about these little gaffes.

77. September 18, 2012 at 1:26 am

The Media will help mitt out of this people This is not a loaded Gun! This is not A BFD. It will help the base work harder because we trust Obama over mitt, When the Main stream Media finish with this story, It will not be a game changer.

• 233 FoxfireTX
      September 18, 2012 at 1:35 am

I agree that some of the media will try to help him out but this is not a gaffe in the usual sense because it reinforces what so many suspected of him. What is shocking is his utter contempt for half the people of this country. That will come up again and again, particularly with the debates looming.

• 234 nathkatun7
        September 18, 2012 at 3:03 am

I am not so sure that the people selected to moderate these debates will bring this up! Then again may be people selected to participate town hall debate might bring this up.

• 235 EricFive
      September 18, 2012 at 1:39 am

Let’s wait and see how things play out. The media is not all powerful. Just because the media tries to do something does not mean it will be successful. If the media were all powerful, Mitt would be beating PBO by double digits. This latest fuck up by Mitt did not occur in a vacuum. Mitt has, by his actions and words, made a very bad first impression on the American people. His personal favorables are underwater. This video only reinforces that negative first impression.

• September 18, 2012 at 2:11 am

Exactly, Eric.

And, wait for the other portions of the video to roll out over the next few days.

Folk who still think ‘the media’ are in control of what is now a massive, personal information network are clueless, but it’s to our advantage that they remain so at least another 49 days ;)

78. September 18, 2012 at 1:47 am

WTF ! Dick Durbin of Illinois is talking about a six-month extension of current rates (combined with budget cuts) so lawmakers have time to reach a grand bargain deal early next year. Sen. Claire McCaskill of Missouri and other Democrats are open to a temporary extension of the top individual tax rate if Republicans agree to raise revenue in (other parts of the Tax Code). I bet this is Loophole in the Tax Code,this won’t work, We need to raise the Tax Code. Democratic must believe Obama going to loose, if not why go for a deal like this. This deal won’t bring down the debt. If you give in to budget cuts now the Republicans will only cut the tax break for the poor and middle class to raise revenue and keep the tax cut for the so call Job maker.

79. 240 0388jojothecat
    September 18, 2012 at 1:58 am

When your opponent is drowning, throw the son of a bitch an anvil.
    –James Carville

I keep seeing Robme in the water and everytime he messes up, he’s grasping for the anvil that Team Obama keeps throwing at him.

80. September 18, 2012 at 2:44 am

Good morning Chips (at least I hope you awaken to a refreshing good morning!),

We’ve reached a moment in the past 24 h worthy of folk taking a step back, out of the trees, be they the right height or not :), and recognize that we are all looking at a forest we’ve never seen in the history of US elections.

What we are experiencing really only began to emerge in late 2010 and early 2011 in Tunisia, Egypt, Libya, in particular.

We are experiencing the first ever coalescence of the Internet, ubiquitous wireless access via cheap digital communication devices (phones, etc), rapid upload of immediately accessible multi-media, aggregation sites like TOD and many others, coupled with a profound array of social networking tools (blogs, FB and, in particular, TWITTER). Said another way, the game changer is the coalescence of all those network and access technology components coupled with the emergence of TWITTER. After 7 Nov, I’ll share quite a bit more detail as to the tipping point or black swan, depending on your alignment, that TWITTER is.

Most of the folk running for election, managing campaigns, paying mega$$$ to influence campaigns, the bulk of commercial media, and even most of the moment to moment, twitch-enabled participants do not realize the unprecedented shift that is happening, real time, RIGHT NOW.

It’s hardly the time to educate the enemy, and you betcha those #NEOCONSTER John Birch Party misogynistic bigots are the ENEMY of our Republic, but it is important for folk on our Team to realize the enormous, unprecedented power available to EVERY CITIZEN.

It is that democratizing power, that freedom to connect, defend and extend the promise of America that we all must realize we actually possess and we must utilize it maximally in the next 49 days.

Mitt, Reince, Rove, Ryan, the Kochs, Leber and on and on, including all the #NEWSTAINERS truly didn’t know what hit them a few hours ago.

DavidCorn knew exactly what to do. He prepared the first installment and the moment it was accessible on the Mother Jones web server, he TWEETED.

KA. BOOM.

And, within less than 2 hours, #BainMitt was not only not smirking he was a disheveled, crumpled mess of person so totally compromised by his entitled, gilded bubble of a life, he unwittingly confirmed he despises nearly half of the American electorate because he’d been exposed and didn’t have the intellectual, emotional or moral capacity to do the only thing that a person with an ounce of remaining dignity would have done – APOLOGIZE & WITHDRAW.

At any other time in the history of US politics he would have had a day to days to forever (because his debased behavior would have never been recorded) to spin, buff, deny or not even have to worry about anyone knowing, respectively.

In summary, let us realize our very real power.

Let us push every bit of nonsense spewed by #NEWSTAINERS right back at them without EVER allowing them any sense that they have influence.

Let us hose #SmirknMitt & #LyinRyan incessantly with the TRUTH.

Let us find every person we can who has not register and get them to do so, irrespective of whom they are going to vote, because if we are legitimate participants in our American democracy what must matter to us is that ALL eligible voters, VOTE.

You can all be assured, if we fail to prevail on 6 Nov, you will awaken on 7 Nov and thereafter live in a geographic region that may be called the USA, but will not resemble anything you have known before though GWB & Cheney gave you a trailer preview.

#FORWARD

• 244 carla4obama
      September 18, 2012 at 3:08 am

Ob Bobfr…that was beautiful! Your passion is palpable. Like many in the TOD family, our days are filled with so many emotions…today was another one of those. The curtains have been pulled back on Romney’s soul and what we saw was vile. How can “humans” still believe and defend this “person”? What would it finally take for the talking heads to say he is not fit to be our President? The man born with a silver spoon in his mouth…well I hope to see a silver fork put in him too.

• 245 nathkatun7
      September 18, 2012 at 3:22 am

Bravo, Bobfr for yet another of your excellent statements. The work you are doing gives me hope that this country will go forward and not backward, as the right wingers wish for. On a personal level, your fearlessness and your tireless hard work inspires me greatly. I especially admire your refusal to cede to the corporate media a monopoly of deciding how to frame and interpret the news to the public.

• 246 99ts
      September 18, 2012 at 3:29 am

Hi Bob & KA. BOOM for all that you do to help this effort.

There were 2 lying campaigns from the GOP that sadly went too far early in PBO’s administration – before they were recognized as the garbage they were – but now despite the corporations can own the headlines and the pundits and the media and some politicans – they cannot yet buy the internet and with it the twitter. There will be a future fight to make sure things stay that way – but for the minute using what is available the push back on the lies and the hate is getting stronger and stronger.

Mitt Romney was never up to the task of being the President of the USA – now the majority are well aware of the fact. That 47% of the population may well become 60% of the vote, now so many are aware of how they are viewed by the GOP. Probably one of the most weird things about Mitt is that he has NO idea when a LIE may be useful. The apology he should have given, may not have been his truth, may not have come from his heart – but it would at least have been acknowledgement that his viewpoint/belief is morally wrong.

Look forward to the next 49 days of your tweets.

• 247 Dudette
      September 18, 2012 at 6:59 am

Bob, your astute analysis beats any paid pundit out there. Thank you for speaking the truth and keeping us focused. #FORWARD

• September 18, 2012 at 11:24 am

Good day Carla, nath, 99 & Dudette,
      Your comments are very touching and motivating.
      We will get this done, together!
      #FORWARD

81. 249 susanne
    September 18, 2012 at 3:57 am

nice piece on flotus’ visit to the gators:

‘ Missy Goldstein, a 21-year-old Jewish studies senior, said the experience was inspiring.
    “She just had everyone in the palm of her hand,” she said. “The second she went up there, people were silent and ready to listen.” ‘

September 18, 2012 at 6:24 am
    September 18, 2012 at 6:30 am
    September 18, 2012 at 6:39 am
    September 18, 2012 at 6:40 am

LOL.

September 18, 2012 at 6:40 am
  87. 257 Dudette
    September 18, 2012 at 6:48 am

LOL!!!!

88. 260 Dudette
    September 18, 2012 at 7:11 am

Let’s not get too distracted from the work that must be done!

———————————

«@eportlow «@DiegoUK Romney’s crash is fun, but Republican focus is on holding the House and taking the Senate. Volunteer for a better tomorrow #p2 #ctl #topprog»»

89. 261 Dudette
    September 18, 2012 at 7:14 am

POTUS on The Steve Harvey Morning Show (radio) now. If anybody can find a link to the audio later on PLEASE post it!

90. 262 ctgirl7
    September 18, 2012 at 7:26 am

David Brooks this morning:

The people who receive the disproportionate share of government spending are not big-government lovers. They are Republicans. They are senior citizens. They are white men with high school degrees. As Bill Galston of the Brookings Institution has noted, the people who have benefited from the entitlements explosion are middle-class workers, more so than the dependent poor.

91. September 18, 2012 at 7:48 am

During the freewheeling conversation, a donor asked Romney how the “Palestinian problem” can be solved. Romney immediately launched into a detailed reply, asserting that the Palestinians have “no interest whatsoever in establishing peace, and that the pathway to peace is almost unthinkable to accomplish.”

Romney spoke of “the Palestinians” as a united bloc of one mindset, and he said: “I look at the Palestinians not wanting to see peace anyway, for political purposes, committed to the destruction and elimination of Israel, and these thorny issues, and I say there’s just no way.”

Romney was indicating he did not believe in the peace process and, as president, would aim to postpone significant action: “[S]o what you do is, you say, you move things along the best way you can. You hope for some degree of stability, but you recognize that this is going to remain an unsolved problem…and we kick the ball down the field and hope that ultimately, somehow, something will happen and resolve it.”

And the hits just keep on coming!

• 264 susanne
      September 18, 2012 at 4:02 pm

this is a fascinating quote, jovie. in conjunction with the statements he made on the mother jones clip, it demonstrates his attitude and agenda to be consistent across challenging issues: he just shoves them off his desk into the round file!

palestinians? over it. middle class? forget about it. the poor? let it go. college students? talk to the hand.

my favorite line: ‘just kick the ball down the field and hope that ultimately, somehow, something will happen and resolve it’ !!! does that sound like leadership to anyone? ANYONE?!?

i hope this piece gets wide coverage, because it is the most damning thing he’s ever said. (and he’s said a few!)

92. 265 globalcitizenlinda
    September 18, 2012 at 7:58 am

Chips,

Do you think that it would be a good idea to make us a poster that says: ‘this “moocher” is voting for Pres Obama?

I recall that Tally makes tee-shirts and stuff that support PBO. Maybe there is someone else who does on TOD and could raise a few dollars for the campaign? Just a thought …..

93. September 18, 2012 at 8:04 am

Jarl rove to launch 10illion dollars against House democrats.
    Wow! Now see, this is why the House is out of reach? They House Democrats cannot match that, or defend themselves from that influx of ads.
    Jeeze!

94. 268 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    September 18, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I JUST GOT HOME FROM BIBLE STUDY TODAY AND SAW YOUR HEADLINE…NOW I HAVE TO ASK…JUST WHEN HASN’T IT BEEN EXTRAORDINARILY DIRTY AGAINST OUR PRESIDENT??????? TREATMENT OF HIM SINCE DAY ONE HAS BEEN SHAMEFUL AND DISGUSTING…MY 2 CENTS! GOD BLESS HIM!