Sep

So, Who’s The Class Warfare Guy?

@TheDemocrats

NYT Editorial: Mitt Romney, Class Warrior

It turns out that Mitt Romney was right. There is class warfare being waged in the 2012 campaign. It is Mr. Romney who is waging it, not President Obama, and he’s stood the whole idea on its head.

When you think of class warfare, you probably think of inciting anger, resentment and jealousy among the have-nots against the haves. That’s what Mr. Romney has accused Mr. Obama of doing, but those charges have always been false. The truth is that Mr. Romney has been trying to incite the anger of a small slice of the richest Americans who need no government assistance but get it anyway, against the working poor, the elderly, the disabled workers and veterans, and even a significant chunk of middle-class Americans.

…. The right wing has long been whining about people who don’t pay taxes and who therefore don’t deserve a say in government. They have it exactly backward. The shame is not that those people don’t pay income taxes. The shame is how many poor people there are when the top 1 percent can amass uncountable fortunes fed by tax breaks and can donate tens of millions of dollars to political candidates to keep it that way.

Full editorial here

@thinkprogress

Cagle

Cagle

Cagle

202 Responses to “So, Who’s The Class Warfare Guy?”

1. 1 proudmemberofglobalzero
    September 18, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Romney makes me sick

2. 4 proudmemberofglobalzero
    September 18, 2012 at 5:57 pm

14 hour shift tomorrow so I wont be on much. Have a great day all.

3. 7 Dudette
    September 18, 2012 at 5:59 pm

4. September 18, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Tweety just said that the President was just asked about the Romney tape, he said- nobody thinks the are Victims.

That is it? Their has to be more?

5. 19 proudmemberofglobalzero
    September 18, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Thanks everyone. This shift is all on my FEET!! You think I am going to do this and pay Romney 400,000.00 in salary? He has got to be kidding me!

• 20 susanne
      September 18, 2012 at 6:36 pm

yikes–please take care of yourself, proud. rotate those ankles, shake out your hips, wiggle your shoulders–i’ve spent many long days on my feet, and i know the toll it takes on your whole body. and no, we’re not going to pay robme’s salary out of our hard-earned wages!

September 18, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Not Mitt, he was just a bit inelegant in his phrasing. :roll: Who was it who said ‘when people show you who they are believe them’? IMO Mitt (& AnnD) have been showing who they are from the start, right out in the open. It’s really not their fault that some (MSM) people are only now coming to accept that they haven’t been lying.

7. September 18, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Love this:

• 27 susanne
      September 18, 2012 at 6:16 pm

i suspect that stay-at-home moms are also in this non-taxed category. hmmm, let’s see, who would be an example of a proud stay-at-home mom? i mean, deadbeat, takes no responsibility for their life, not worth considering.

8. September 18, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Also, that whole tape gives you inside intel, of what the Robney Camp actually says and does Policy wise.
    I would think, that OFA will be dissecting this whole tape, as a Treasure trove of Info.
    That is all!

• 30 Dudette
      September 18, 2012 at 6:20 pm

PBO says “… my expectation is that if you wanna be President, you’ve gotta work for everybody” [that’s just part of the quote. Rev Al just showed a clip from PBO interview with Dave Letterman that will air tonight.

• 32 Lovepolitics2008
      September 18, 2012 at 6:32 pm

The President and his team will be dissecting the tape too. It could help for the debates, because you have a big window on what Romney REALLY thinks.

September 18, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Personally I don’t understand why people keep mentioning apology when people say what they think. Romney said what he thought. He wasn’t under pressure; in fact he seemed remarkably comfortable. If someone genuinely makes a misstep and is genuinely contrite there usually is no need for prompting; the apology comes quickly and with some degree of sincerity My take is that when we keep pressing someone for an apology it’s for US to feel better about the person. We recognize their behaviour, think it’s inappropriate and because we don’t want to alter our previous perception of this person we wish they’d make things right by apologizing. Then we can say, X did Y but s/he apologized so all should be forgiven. Poppycock! No apology is called for here. What is called for is for voters to listen to what this presidential aspirant thinks of them AND VOTE ACCORDINGLY! That is all.

• 42 susanne
        September 18, 2012 at 6:47 pm

agreed. it’s like when someone says, i’m sorry if what i said hurt your feelings. or i’m sorry that you took that the wrong way. meaning, i said what i meant; i’m sorry you took offense because that’s uncomfortable for me.

• 43 nathkatun7
        September 19, 2012 at 12:11 am

VC, I am with you 100%! Apologizing in this instance would be just for show.

9. 45 squarepeg
    September 18, 2012 at 6:21 pm

WHOOOO just saw a clip of PBO on Letterman on Rev. Al!

10. September 18, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Rev Al just played a clip of The President on Letterman! Very inclusive Statement of All the People, not just some.

• 47 Dudette
      September 18, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Yep, it was great!

September 18, 2012 at 6:31 pm

• 49 Lovepolitics2008
        September 18, 2012 at 6:39 pm

He’s ALWAYS trying to avoid divisive rhetoric. It’s not just about politics. It’s in his heart. This is why I find it so hurtful to see him criticized by republicans as a divisive President. Republicans ARE the ones who create the division, by their refusal to cooperate with a man who’s unselfish, courageous, pragmatic, and a very honest broker.

September 18, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Yes it’s hurtful when he’s treated that way.

• 51 HZ
            September 18, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Yes, hopefruit2 it does hurt so badly. I think that is what makes us come together so much on this site because there is so much goodness, love, compassion, and brilliance of mind that speak volumes of who our president really is, and who we are as humans who care so much for all Americans. HZ

• 52 otter44
          September 18, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Blessed are the peacemakers. BO is awesome. I am saddened that everyone can not see the goodness and light that surround him.

• 53 HZ
            September 18, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Otter44, I love your statement, and most of all I love the fact that you spoke the words into our space and evidently you have already allowed these words to become a part of your space today.

Also, POB is a man of his words. Remember at Grant Park on victory night when POB stated that those who did not vote for me, “I will be your president also.”President Elect, Barack Obama. And if you go back and listen to that speech and the context of those words, your heart just keep going back to the fact that we elected a great man, and a man who lives by his words. We are so blessed to have POB as our president.HZ

• 54 nathkatun7
          September 19, 2012 at 12:16 am

Well said! As far as I am concerned, Republicans are all about projecting. They constantly blame President Obama for their own behavior. They are able to get away with projecting because the so called mainstream (corporate) media either looks the other way or reports their projecting as fact.

11. September 18, 2012 at 6:27 pm

President Barack Obama speaks during an event to honor the WNBA champion Minnesota Lynx at the White House on September 18

12. 59 Dudette
    September 18, 2012 at 6:31 pm

13. September 18, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Can’t make this point, enough ….

September 18, 2012 at 6:36 pm

More good news!!!

September 18, 2012 at 6:37 pm

16. 71 ChristiMTL
    September 18, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Ed Henry ‏@edhenryTV

Letterman jokes w/potus about who’s skinnier. dave: “you haven’t seen me naked” obama: “we’re going to keep it that way”

lol

17. 77 Linda
    September 18, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Megan McCain is getting dizzy spinning on Rev Al.

18. September 18, 2012 at 6:41 pm

NBC first read just released this shit-

This week is Romney’s “darkest hour”… but he’s not out of the game yet. NBC/WSJ finds Obama is losing ground on foreign policy.

Uh huh, uh huh!

September 18, 2012 at 6:47 pm

After Obama killed Bin Laden, the MSM told us that foreign policy didn’t and wouldn’t matter in the election – it was the ECONOMY that mattered.

And (by the way), Obama still TRUMPS Mitt Romney on major areas of foreign policy. Even though he may have *appeared* to slip from his own high in summer because of the propaganda by Romney and the GOP media last week. That’s a temporary fluctuation that will stabilize at the right time. It doesn’t signal any gains for Mitt Romney as NBC is trying to push.

• 83 Desraye
        September 18, 2012 at 6:50 pm

54% approve of Obama handling of foreign policy. This up from the 49%.

September 18, 2012 at 6:56 pm

According to NBC, the numbers are reversed. 49% approved in this new poll, down from 54% in the summer.

• September 18, 2012 at 7:03 pm

You’re right Hopefruit:

Hardly surprising in light of current concerns, but if Romney is above 2% on foreign policy it’ll be a stunner :roll:

• September 18, 2012 at 7:26 pm

and when the terrorists who did this are captured, PBOs number once again skyrockets and media/GOP go back to saying….its about the economy anyway….PBO knows the Presidency encompasses everything. He’s never been a single issue or reactive leader.

• 87 dotster3
            September 18, 2012 at 8:05 pm

You are right, hf. Chuckie T.—-ugh—-was on NBC news tonight to tout that fact and then he adds at the end that Repub voters are more enthused than Dem voters. This is starting to make me mad—-why does every poll report that?—-are Dem voters really saying ‘maybe I’ll vote or maybe I won’t’?—-I don’t believe that.

September 18, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Actually, the polls do not say that Repubs are more enthusiastic than DEM voters. And there is no evidence of that – in fact more evidence for the opposite. Take for e.g., FLOTUS goes to Florida – a so-called swing state and draws crowds of 10,000. Ann Romney goes to the same state and draws a “crowd” of 75 people. I may not be sharpest knife in the drawer but I sure know how to count.

And no amount of spin from Chuck Todd or anyone else in the media can convince me that Republicans right now are more enthusiastic than Democrats. That is simply FALSE.

September 18, 2012 at 7:58 pm

jovie141 Romney will be out of the game November 6th.

• 91 idon
      September 18, 2012 at 8:52 pm

PLEASE, PLEASE IGNORE ANY POLL THAT SUGGEST PBO and MITTNOCCHIO are running neck in neck on foreign policy. You have to understand how PBO gets it done. Recall the Somali pirates. PBO was letting the MSM talk all kind of shit about him and then when the real story came out about what he did and when he did it, they all had egg on their faces. They were stumbling all over each other trying to be first in handing out a 3am HIGH FIVE to PBO. Egypt just announced it issued an arrest warrant for American Pastor Terry Jones, you know the dumbass racist preacher who called on Americans to burn the Quran on the anniversary of 9/11. An additional warrant was issued for another American who was involved in the marketing/production of the hate film. The Egyptians who were arrested were Coptic Christians. Of course, we know they do not represent all Coptic Christians just like Terry Jones doesn’t represent all Christians in the US. Now think about this. The release of the hate film led to protest contagion throughout the Middle East. Adelson pledged 100 millions dollars to MITTNOCCHIO’s campaign. Where do you think some of that money was spent? Then there’s Netanyahu who came to the US around the same time to stir the pot some more. PBO’s refusal to meet with Netanyahu tells me he already knew what these criminal righties were up to.

19. 92 Rita
    September 18, 2012 at 6:42 pm

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-todays-assignment-seal-deal-with-chicago-teachers-20120918,0,7319589.story – hey, looks like there’s a light at the end of the tunnel…

“The Chicago Teachers Union’s House of Delegates decided this afternoon to end the city’s first teacher strike in 25 years and return more than 350,000 students to the classroom Wednesday.
    The voice vote was taken after some 800 delegates convened at a union meeting hall near Chinatown to discuss and debate a tentative contract. Union leaders had already signed off on the agreement with Chicago Public Schools.

Debi Lilly, a Lakeview resident, said she was thrilled her 3rd and 5th grader would be heading back to Hawthorne School Wednesday after missing seven days of classes.

“Thank goodness, thank goodness,” Lilly said enthusiastically. “Now I believe they’re putting the children first.””

September 18, 2012 at 6:44 pm

WTF…Little Nate, where are the “pretty terrible ones” that you speak of?!?!?!?

• September 18, 2012 at 7:25 pm

I have to say I wasn’t feeling very good today because of the polls. I look at RealClear Politics. We are coming down. What’s up with that? My husband says it is because of gas prices. What do you all think? I am going out in a half an hour to canvas somemore. I am a big worrier. I just don’t understand.

• 96 Dudette
          September 18, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Don’t let the polls worry you. Keep focused on the mission and we’ll be alright.

RealClear is a poll aggregator, but to me their results historically have had a red tinge to them. Perhaps on purpose. I know I stopped using them quite a while ago because of the redmeat conservatives they allowed to work as commentators on their site. Nate Silver even accused them of rigging their averages back in ’08, but he backed off that later, however. I wonder why.

• 98 jeff
          September 18, 2012 at 8:47 pm

all polls are, are statistics. Things go up and down and eventually even out. PBO is still way ahead of the game and is winning this election, not every week is going to be glowing for the president though. Given the protests in the middle east people are worried and I suspect it’s effecting their thinking.

• September 18, 2012 at 6:57 pm

He is talking about Gallup again. And Rasmussen.
      They are not good!

September 18, 2012 at 7:00 pm

They are right leaning, but I would not describe them as pretty terrible. That’s an exaggeration.

• September 18, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Bounce eliminated according to them!

• 103 Carolyn
            September 18, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Isn’t this news exactly what we anticipated a week ago? Who did they poll? What manipulation went on. The pollsters and MSM hav a stake in keeping this race “exciting” and close. What would they have to do if they didn’t try to keep it close. To them it is a game, nothing more. Also, the national polls are not what count. It’s the states’ poll numbers.

September 18, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Swing states, how are things in the swing states?

21. September 18, 2012 at 6:54 pm

President Obama, responding to a question about Mitt Romney’s secretly taped comments at a fundraiser, said on Tuesday that “all of us make mistakes.”

“What people want to know, though, is you’re not writing off a big chunk of the country,” he said during an appearance on the “Late Show with David Letterman,” according to a pool report. “This is a big country. And people disagree a lot but, one thing I’ve never tried to do and I think none of us can do in public office is suggest that because someone doesn’t agree with me that they’re victims or they’re unpatriotic.”

“There are not a lot of people out there who think they’re victims,” he said. “There are not a lot of people who think they’re entitled to something.”

But, he said, government does have a role to play.

“We’ve got some obligations to each other, and there’s nothing wrong with us giving each other a helping hand so that that single mom’s kid, even after all the work she’s done, can afford to go to college,” Obama said.

Romney said at the fundraiser that 47 percent of Americans are dependent on government and “believe that they are victims” who are entitled to government support, remarks that he stood behind Tuesday.

“When I won in 2008, 47 percent of the American people voted for John McCain,” Obama said, according to the pool report. “They didn’t vote for me and what I said on election night was: ‘Even though you didn’t vote for me, I hear your voices, and I’m going to work as hard as I can to be your president.’”

The president also echoed remarks by his press secretary earlier in the day.

“One of the things I learned as president is you represent the entire country,” he said. “If you want to be president, you have to work for everyone.”

• 110 utaustinliberal
      September 18, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Yep. That’s our classy President. The wonderful thing about his words is that he truly believes in them. This is not about politics for him.

• 111 dotster3
      September 18, 2012 at 7:14 pm

I love how he is able to answer these kind of questions—–he gets in his key points without escalating the divide or stoking the fires. He’s the best!

September 18, 2012 at 6:54 pm

23. 116 Dudette
    September 18, 2012 at 7:03 pm

REALLY love this! [Swoon!]

September 18, 2012 at 7:08 pm

The internals on Wisconsin must be good for Pres. Obama.

September 18, 2012 at 7:14 pm

AHA! Tell that to Mr. Chuck Todd with his smart arse “know-it-all” remark!!

• 122 Linda
        September 18, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Ha… I love when he step in it….

• 123 4morefor44
        September 18, 2012 at 7:31 pm

ha! probably going to give a little help to tammy baldwin too. tammy beating tommy would be especially sweet. i’d say it’s a good sign that president obama is going to states he’s likely to win just to help democratic senate candidates. imagine what a trip to boston would do for elizabeth warren. she’s doing just fine as is, but that could go a long way in sealing the deal for her. forward!!!

• 124 dotster3
        September 18, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Has anyone seen a recent poll for Wi.? I seem to remember the race narrowed there, which they were attributing to the Ryan pick. I just can’t see Romney winning there. From what I know of Wisconsin, Romney just doesn’t fit there, about as far away as you could get.

• 125 forus50
      September 18, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Nice find UT! I had seen something from some reporter a few days ago erroneously reporting on POTUS campaigning in Wisconsin. That’s awesome that it’s just a fundraiser.

• 126 TrumpDog
      September 18, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Seems to be mixed messages here. This guy says its not a campaign trip, it’s a fundraiser. Yet NumbersChuck claims its a campaign trip. Anyone know which is which?

September 18, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Just got home from work…has this been up already??

26. September 18, 2012 at 7:16 pm

That didn’t take long.

President Obama’s re-election campaign has put out a video featuring voter criticism of Mitt Romney’s closed door critique of Obama voters.

“Out of touch,” one voter says of Romney.

Expect television ads soon along the same lines.

The video replays Romney’s comments during a closed fundraiser that “there are 47% who are with him (Obama), who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled.”

A voter on the Obama campaign video says the comments “make me sick to my stomach.”

Another says, “I don’t think anybody’s ever looking for a handout. I think that we all want chances and opportunities.”

USA/Today-

27. September 18, 2012 at 7:23 pm

28. September 18, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I don’t look at Obama as just our President, a great one at that…but i look at him as a great person that will go down as one of the world’s most legendary figures. He’s the most inspiring hopeful human being i’ve ever seen. When it’s all set-and-done, he’s gonna be up there with Ali and MLK. it’s hard for some people to see that at this point, because there’s so much noise and negativity in this social media society we live in today. When his next term is over, and a little time has passed, everyone will be able to look back on what he accomplished against all the odds and hate and say to themselves, “He’s a Legend”.

• 136 forus50
      September 18, 2012 at 8:05 pm

ObamaBoy –I think you are 100% correct. When history writes the story Barack Hussein Obama will be an American legend.

September 18, 2012 at 7:25 pm

• September 18, 2012 at 7:31 pm

He says whatever Robmey camp wants him to!

• 139 susanne
      September 18, 2012 at 7:59 pm

and so what, anyway? is this an attempt at explaining robme’s poor polling? or are they saying robme’s not the rich one? all irrelevant, and uninteresting noise. reminds me of knoller–how many donuts did the guy eat? who cares?

• 140 Tosan1212
      September 18, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I can’t remember what pundit explained it but basically RMoney and the Super PACs have a lot of money but they’ve just been flinging it all over the place with no real strategy and no idea which audiences are getting their warped messages. The Obama campaign is spending money to execute a game plan and the cable spending is very targeted. They are advertising on shows people watch so fewer ads on CNN as no one watches that station anymore. Definitely no undecideds there. But a lot of advertising on USA because people watch Law & Order SVU and Suits. Simple but apparently this sort of logic went over the RMoney and Super PACs collective heads. So chalk this one up for team Obama.

30. September 18, 2012 at 7:27 pm

From US bureau chief for the Financial Times of London (is there a more prudent/fiscally conservative newspaper out there?):

(reposted from tail end of last thread)

31. September 18, 2012 at 7:29 pm

“Worth repeating: a majority of the 47per cent pay a higher share of their income in taxes than Mitt Romney – Tax Policy Center”

September 18, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Hahahahaha.

33. September 18, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Also, re: R-money camp planting PBO’s 1998 “redistribution” video (from Little Green Footballs, which used to be GOP, until he couldn’t take their wingnuttiness and bigotry):

Of course Chuck Todd marvels at R-money’s composure today on Fox:

While @BuzzfeedAndrew notes at how quickly Cavuto fed to R-money:

And, one more from Ed Luce, FT about R-money and Cavuto:

34. September 18, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Click on the link pic.twitter.com/BiNPkqz0 for a map if the Tweet box doesn’t post:
    “A look at the top states with income tax non-filers.”

• 148 Dudette
      September 18, 2012 at 7:46 pm

/large

• 149 dotster3
        September 18, 2012 at 8:16 pm

They even showed this map on our local news tonight in Chicago. I said “thank you” to the teevee.

• 150 nathkatun7
        September 19, 2012 at 12:59 am

Dudette, All ten of them voted for George W.Bush in 2004. Eight voted for John McCain in 2008. I am sure the same 8 states that voted for McCain are voting for Romney this year.

• 152 Dudette
      September 18, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Gotcha covered Arapaho! :-)

• September 18, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Thanks, Dudette!

Loved your coverage of our President’s acceptance speech. It’s a shame that you weren’t able to actually be there due to weather, but it’s wonderful to get energy/feedback from like-minded supporters.

I thought of Chuck Berry’s “Promised Land” in reverse for you:

“I left my home in Norfolk Virginia, California on my mind
        I straddled that Greyhound and rode it Raleigh and on across Caroline
        We stopped to Charlotte to bypass Rockhill, we never was a minute late
        And we was 90 miles out of Altanta by sundown, rollin’ cross the Georgia state…”

• 154 Dudette
          September 19, 2012 at 7:31 am

Thank you Arapaho. We had a blast hanging out in Charlotte nonetheless! I was so glad I could share the experience with my TOD peeps!

Very cool song. I’ll have to remember that on my next road trip!! 8-)

35. 155 lamh35
    September 18, 2012 at 7:43 pm

So the RNC and Romney camp trying to push that video of POTUS from 1998. My guess they were sitting on this video and were gonna sayve it for either right before or after the domestic policy debate and then Robme would try to either get POTUS to say something and use the vid to try to box in POTUS.

But thanks to the timing of David Corn and Mother Jones, the mofos all of asudden wanna play “hey Obama had a video too game”, but that video is from 1998 and Romney’s is from this past May. #falsequivalency FAIL mittens!

• September 18, 2012 at 7:47 pm

What video is this lamh35? From 1998 about what?

• 157 lamh35
        September 18, 2012 at 7:53 pm

not linking to it, but TPM has a post about it. I check their LIVEWIRE blog to see what the village is talking about.

September 18, 2012 at 7:57 pm

lamh – this is an old video that was already trotted out by the McCain camp during the 2008 presidential campaign. The MSM is rehashing those old, already-seen and analyzed to death tapes and comments of PBO just to take the focus off Mitt Romney.

The American people HAVE ALREADY SEEN AND HEARD those tapes, and rendered their verdict on Nov 4, 2008. We are not interested in seeing re-runs of 2008. And the media needs to understand that very clearly.

• 159 lamh35
        September 18, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Yep.

It’s really just sad that the Romney camp and RNC thought they could change the subject by trying to make hay of a video that not only is old news, but was from 1998!!!!!

It”s too funny.

36. September 18, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Can hardly wait for Letterman tonight, to see our President. Class act personified. Watch and learn a thing or two Mitt from Mr 100%.

September 18, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Someone needs to ask Chuck Todd and Chris Cillizza how did Barack Obama get himself nominated over Hillary without the help of Bill Clinton back in 2008?!?!? The truth is most voters under age 35 don’t give a fig about Clinton. And that is where the BULK of PBO’s base is coming from, and they are young people with active lives and short attention spans, who typically don’t pay attention to elections until AFTER the convention. That is what we’re seeing right now.

• 162 COS
      September 18, 2012 at 7:59 pm

It was hard for me to sit through those Clinton comments from Chuck. Also, when he said Republicans will walk over broken glass to vote for Robney because they want to vote against Obama, he forgot to say that we will walk over glass also to vote for PBO.

• 163 99ts
      September 18, 2012 at 8:15 pm

They cannot believe that PBO could possibly have created his own campaign, his own policies and his own support – wonder why they have to think that way??

38. 165 Dudette
    September 18, 2012 at 7:52 pm

From the Truth Team:

Here are a few examples of Americans who—according to Mitt Romney—don’t pay enough in taxes:

U.S. soldiers in combat

U.S. soldiers’ pay while in a combat zone is not subject to federal income tax.

Firefighters

A firefighter with the average wage of $45,000 with a stay-at-home spouse and two kids.

U.S. Air Force Staff Sergeants

An Air Force military police staff sergeant with 8 years of service—who earns basic pay of $34,723—with a spouse earning $10,000 through part-time work and at least two kids.

Steelworkers

A steelworker making the average wage of $45,000 with a stay-at-home spouse and two kids.

Security Guards

A security guard making the average wage of $23,900 married to a bank teller making an average wage of $24,500, with three kids.

High School Teachers

A high school teacher making the average wage of $54,000 who is the primary source of income and has at least three kids.

Police Officers

A New Mexico patrolman with a starting salary of $39,000 married to a part-time child care worker with at least two kids.

Clergy Members

A clergy member whose income of $44,140 is the primary source of income in a family with a spouse and two kids.

• 166 susanne
      September 18, 2012 at 8:03 pm

robme’s actually correct that he has nothing to teach these folks about personal responsibility.

• 167 nathkatun7
        September 19, 2012 at 1:08 am

Susanne, All of these folks can teach him a thing or two about personal responsibility and the importance of caring for your fellow human being!

39. 168 Dudette
    September 18, 2012 at 7:59 pm

40. September 18, 2012 at 8:00 pm

• 170 lamh35
      September 18, 2012 at 8:07 pm

OMG Chips, that article was such BS wasn’t it. The campaign perked up about a video from 1998 that only Fox is talking about….Puh-lease.

I also like how the article stated what the recording says POTUS said, but leaves out the fact that the recording cuts out right after the RNC got the soundbite they needed to keep the statement out of context.

It’s really just sad!

• 171 99ts
      September 18, 2012 at 8:13 pm

And this at the end
      ‘“I was a little offended not to be invited for cobbler,” he said, playfully’ – REALLY – “PLAYFULLY” – how old is Mitt Romney – I thought it was Paul Ryan who pretended to be the child in this campaign.

41. 172 Lorraine
    September 18, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Shrumie and Richard Wolffe will be on Ed’s Show tonight!!!

42. 173 lamh35
    September 18, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Not that I needed more of a reason to not like James Carville, but I’m sorry, you can’t be married to someone like this and stay married to them unless you agree with them a lot of the times and you know damn well they talk politics at home.

Ya notice how they never have Carville and his wife on against each other.

Ugh..P.O.S….the both of them!

“Mary Matalin: Thanks To Romney, We Can Single Out ‘Parasites’”

If any good Dem can look at this woman really say some shizznitz like this and still like her, then forget the both of them

September 18, 2012 at 8:04 pm

For those who missed First Lady Michelle Obama on the Rachael Ray Show here is a link:

There are more links on the website. After you watch one clip it leads you to many more clips of FLOTUS on the show. It was really sweet to hear FLOTUS talk about how she and POTUS met, their first date, their second date, why she agreed to a second date with POTUS and the first meal she ever cooked for him.

44. 176 Dudette
    September 18, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Scary thought Mitt the Twit and Lyin Ryan are now getting security briefings.

Dear Gawd, please let the briefers be so brief that they exclude any info these traitorous fools could use to do the world any harm.

45. 177 99ts
    September 18, 2012 at 8:08 pm

A good write up on the Pennsylvania voter ID situation – http://www.aclupa.blogspot.com.au/
    What I didn’t understand before the appeal – the law as passed was actually impossible to implement viz

“According to Act 18, the voter ID law, PennDOT is required to issue an ID at no cost to any registered voter who signs an oath that says he or she does not have the ID they require for voting purposes. No further requirements – such as showing a birth certificate or social security card – are required. The Supreme Court calls this “a liberal access standard.” In court, the state’s attorneys pointed out that PenDOT cannot, according to Homeland Security requirements, comply by this requirement. Instead, the state created the Department of State ID card, a new form of voter ID specifically intended for voting purposes.”

46. September 18, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Ok, starting to write my new piece for TPV. A snippet:

Something cracked once the black guy with the foreign name won the Presidency, though. We’ve seen it. The Right descended into a swamp of conspiracy and paranoia not seen in this country since the days of the Know-Nothings of the mid-19th century, with their dark tales of Papists violating pure white Protestant American virgins. Or since the heyday of the KKK in the 1920s, which reacted to a country awash in immigrants and African Americans moving out of the South and into the industrial North. Had Hilary Clinton won in 2008, she would have been subjected to some abuse; but I doubt it would have reached anywhere near the insane intensity which has gripped the Right since Barack Obama put his hand on Thomas Jefferson’s bible and took the oath of office.

• September 18, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Love your lyrical writing style, LL. Keep going!

• 180 nathkatun7
      September 19, 2012 at 1:49 am

Your make excellent points. But I think a more comparable period than the ones you highlighted was the Reconstruction period after the Civil war. This is when African Americans became citizens and gained the right to vote and consequently the right to participate in politics. It’s also the period when African Americans were elected to office (mainly in the former confederate states) in unprecedented numbers. Mississippi sent two Black men to the U.S. Senate (actually one, Hiram Revels, inherited Jefferson Davis’ Senate seat). With AA voting, many of the former confederate states elected at least one AA to the U.S. House of Representatives. Then you had AA elected to State and local offices, including such positions as Lt. Governor, State Sec. of State and StateTreasurer.You can imagine how infuriated whites were.

It was the fact that AA became citizens and were able to vote and hold elective office that gave rise to the KKK and other white supremacists terrorist organizations. Eventually, white supremacist triumphed and proceeded to construct a Jim crow system that took almost a century to finally get rid of– at least in terms of laws. Believe me, It’s quite striking to see the similarity of white reaction to Blacks gaining citizenship and the right to vote during Reconstruction, with what you called “the insane intensity which has gripped the Right since Barack Obama put his hand on Thomas Jefferson’s bible and took the oath of office.”

I am looking forward to your new piece at TPV. I am sure it will be quite as illuminating as all your previous posts.

47. 181 Dudette
    September 18, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Cracking up reading the #NotElegantlyStated comments on Twitter!

Somebody please explain to me again why anyone votes for these Republican morons?

September 18, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Most of these extreme racists Republicans only dream is to defeat that black President. They don’t give a dam who does it, if it was Hitler they wouldn’t care.

September 18, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Tonight’s going to be good. :D

49. 184 Ladyhawke
    September 18, 2012 at 8:18 pm

PRESS SECRETARY JAY CARNEY RESPONDS TO QUESTION ABOUT MITT ROMNEY 47% COMMENT. (I LOVE JAY)

============================================================

Q Thanks, Jay. Has the President seen the video that’s caused a lot of people to be talking this morning — the 47 percent video? And if so, what’s his reaction to it?

MR. CARNEY: Let me say this. The campaign has put out a statement and I’m sure others from the campaign will be asked about and will address it. So I’ll limit what I say in response to questions about it. What I’ll say is this: When you’re President of the United States you are President of all the people, not just the people who voted for you. You’ve heard the President say so many times because he deeply believes it that we’re in this together, all of us. From the time he began his career in public service, from the time that those of us in this room first heard of him in 2004, his message has been about the fact that what unites us as Americans is far greater than the things that divide us. And that’s fundamental to who this President is, and it’s fundamental to what guides him as he makes decisions.

When he made the decision against the advice of many to take action to save the auto industry, the President did not ask whether the 1.1 million Americans whose jobs would be saved had voted for him or against him. When he pressed for 18 small business tax cuts he didn’t ask if small businessmen and women were Democrat or Republican. When he fought to pass health care reform he didn’t wonder whether the 129 million Americans with preexisting conditions who would be helped by this reform, who would be given security through the reform, were likely to be with him or against him in 2012. That’s just not how he thinks.

And I think the way you have to approach the job is with a keen understanding that you’re out there fighting for every American. And this President’s agenda has always been about building the middle class, strengthening the middle class, bringing people up into the middle class. And that’s what it will be going forward.

=============================================================

September 18, 2012 at 8:19 pm

When Peggy Noonan is jumping ship you know Mitt is screwed. Who’s next? Jennifer Rubin?

51. September 18, 2012 at 8:20 pm

52. 190 Rita
    September 18, 2012 at 8:22 pm

We Are the 47 Percent tumblr! Yoy know this had to happen :-) http://wearethe47percent.tumblr.com/

“My unemployment check is late so I can’t afford to continue my Kiehl’s skincare regimen. Dry. Flaky. FED UP!

WE ARE THE 47%!!!”

Lol!!

53. 192 susanne
    September 18, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Will Romney’s troubles rub off on congressional races?–

‘ University of Virginia political scientist Larry Sabato, whose “Crystal Ball” blog closely tracks congressional races, said Romney’s performance would be particularly influential in Senate races in Virginia, Connecticut, Montana, North Dakota and Florida.

“Scott Brown can’t survive much more undertow in Massachusetts,” he said.

George Allen, the Republican Senate contender in Virginia, “depends on a Romney win,” Sabato added.

“As I go through the states, I’d say Romney’s performance will help to determine most of the close Senate contests,” he said in an email interview.

“It’s going to be very difficult for Republicans to take over the Senate if Romney doesn’t capture the White House. That’s a different evaluation than a year ago when the GOP looked to be a good bet to grab the Senate.” ‘

54. 195 Rita
    September 18, 2012 at 8:33 pm

This is a great write-up: http://openareas.tumblr.com/post/31800922875/meet-the-people-romney-doesnt-care-about-these

“Meet the people Romney doesn’t care about.

These are people in debt.
    These are people in danger of losing their homes.
    Some of them are on assistance.
    Some of them need help with medical bills.
    Some of them need help paying for groceries.
    All of them are in situations they would rather not be in.
    Most of them never thought they’d be in a place where they would need help to pay for basic things, or when they would have to struggle to pay basic bills.

This one’s husband left her with two kids. He wiped out their bank account. She doesn’t know where he is.

This one had a catastrophic illness that ate up all her savings and forced her to resign from her job.

This one has a master’s degree. Had a great job. Then her company was swallowed whole by another company and she was laid off.

This one lost a child in a car accident. She was unable to cope and has been suffering from depression ever since. She lost her job.

This one was renting a house with no idea the owner was not paying the mortgage. The bank foreclosed. He, along with his wife and two kids, were evicted without enough time to find a new place. They are staying in a shelter for now.

They are Americans. They are ours. They are your neighbors, whether you know it or not. Hunger does not always look how you think it does. Poverty does not always show. Need is not always evident.

It is not just the President’s job to care about these people. It is our job. It is America’s job.

I was in tears. Yes, folks, we are our brother’s keeper, we are our sister’s keeper.

• September 18, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I would bet you that if Romney lost all his wealth like so many did in the Great Depression he would take the cowards way out….he does not what it takes to recover from adversity or cope with it.

• 197 Dudette
      September 18, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Gonna go tweet this right now! Thanks Rita!

• 198 1jam4pbo
      September 18, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Thank you Rita.

This brought tears to my eyes because there are many other situations not mentioned here that friends in the United States are facing each and everyday. These people are professionals and are suffering in silence because they do not want to be a burden to anyone.

I feel for your people as I do for my own here at home.

Thank God for President Obama.

Rmoney will never understand and will never be able to show compassion.

55. September 18, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Leave it to Matt Drudge-

Mitt Romney seized on a Drudge Report video of Barack Obama in 1998 in which he seemed to support the idea of wealth distribution, in his lone media appearance of the day to address the questions about his own comments from a fundraiser earlier this year.

Weak!

56. September 18, 2012 at 8:59 pm

That is a very good night. Thank you Beyonce!

57. 202 criquet
    September 18, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Anyone know if this is true? If so, it is a BFD!