Sep

Heads Up: PBO delivers remarks to AARP; Woodbridge rally

(Closing remarks)

11:30: President Obama delivers remarks via satellite at the AARP Life@50+ National Event & Expo at G. Richard Pfitzner Stadium in Woodbridge

CNN * CBS 1 * CBS 2

12:0 (started early): Delivers remarks at a campaign event at G. Richard Pfitzner Stadium in Woodbridge

C-Span * CNN * CBS 1 * CBS 2

Later:

1:15: VP Biden and Jill Biden travel to Hanover, N.H., to deliver remarks at a campaign event at Dartmouth College (CNN)

3:0 First Lady Michelle Obama delivers remarks at Morgan State University, Baltimore (Not sure when the speech starts, and can’t find any live links yet)

5:15: VP Biden and Jill Biden travel to Concord, N.H., to deliver remarks at a campaign event at the New Hampshire State House (CNN)

274 Responses to “Heads Up: PBO delivers remarks to AARP; Woodbridge rally”

1. 6 xtine
    September 21, 2012 at 11:20 am

Steve Benen:

“Four years later, to his critics, he’s still a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.”

“…. The Obama campaign tends to stick to specific themes, incorporating new information into the message matrix aides drew up a year ago, reinforcing larger arguments. The Romney campaign tends to act like small children playing soccer, running wildly to wherever they see a bouncing ball, whether it’s strategically wise or not.”

2. September 21, 2012 at 11:20 am

3. 8 PoliticalJunkessa
    September 21, 2012 at 11:21 am

Not quite the “Seniors Summit” I envisioned, but an AARP address will work mighty fine. :-D

I heard the best ACA/Medicare ad on the radio the other day where the Obama Campaign credited AARP’s support of the new law. It was clear and succinct — a real winner.

September 21, 2012 at 11:42 am

You recall the President WOW’d the AARP in the ’08 campaign, so he’s got this! :)

When the AARP supported W’s health reform during his tenure, I dropped out of the AARP. (I’m sure they’ve missed me, greatly.) Been thinking about going back, but I still don’t trust them fully!

• 10 PoliticalJunkessa
        September 21, 2012 at 11:56 am

Yes, he’s got this, JOB!

• 11 sherijr
        September 21, 2012 at 11:59 am

I never did join AARP- for precisely the reasons you list Jacqueline.

• 12 Obama Grandmama
        September 21, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I’m a AAA member as I envision myself out on the road somewhere needing help from a breakdown. I always got motel discounts using my AAA card so I never saw a reason to join AARP. Next summer my youngest daughter is getting married and the motel I will stay at for four nights (it’s going to be a destination wedding) gives a discount with an AARP card only. I just received my new membership in AARP yesterday so I can get my discount next summer.

September 21, 2012 at 12:35 pm

That’s why I basically had the card, plus their efforts to influence the legislative agenda – usually in a positive way to assist seniors. I think they’re back on track, but it was a little too much to take when they openly supported Bush, and I haven’t fully swallowed that distasteful pill yet.

4. September 21, 2012 at 11:26 am

PBO hitting it out of the park in his message to AARP. BRAVO!!

• September 21, 2012 at 11:27 am

Audience is applauding at several points he’s making.

• September 21, 2012 at 11:36 am

He taking questions and he’s really directly addressing their needs.

Now the audience is wildly applauding POTUS saying he doesn’t mind calling his plan Obamacare!! LOVE how he and we managed to undermine that RW smear. LOLz.

• September 21, 2012 at 11:38 am

Dickhead Sam Stein is complaining PBO’s answers are too long …. maybe for his peabrain, but not for people actually interested in these issues.

• September 21, 2012 at 11:40 am

GAH. This is very important stuff for seniors and I love that he’s not talking down to them and providing full and complete answers. The press never cease to demonstrate their inanity. Failures.

September 21, 2012 at 11:55 am

Tell the dickhead Sam Stein he doesn’t have to listen to POTUS answers. Tell him he can go listen to Mitt Romney short lies.

• 31 57andfemale
              September 21, 2012 at 11:55 am

Sam Stein is weird: have you noticed that he holds his head and scowls all the time and that he has only one facial expression? Eerie.

• September 21, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I heard the snippet of a radio show this morning here in LA on KTLK AM 1150 – I was driving in a little late, so ended up hearing the next program after Stephanie Miller. Anyway, the host of that show (Mo somebody) was making very cogent arguments against Romney and his pandering (or “tan-gering” as someone stated yesterday) to Latinos. In the end, he said “maybe this works with stupid people, but not with Mo Kelly”. I thought that was brilliant!

The right wing has gotten away with calling and treating their base as though they are the most stupid people on the planet. I hate that word, but it’s true in this case. Anyone who willfully votes against their interests, or denies the truth when presented with objective facts (i.e. “Romney’s not talking about us when he talks about the 47% moochers – we EARNED our social security and Medicare, or the “Women for Mitt” crowd, or the ones driving 10 year old beat up cars, while hosting a Romney 2012 bumper sticker)… they are stupid. They’ve seen what the right wing intends to do – they’re actually doing it. They’ve seen that Romney only cares about his base of fellow one percenters. They’ve seen the record profits being enjoyed by the corporations who show no hesitation in laying them off, and the stock market rebound that is primarily enjoyed by those who have enough to buy stocks. They’ve seen the racism. The hate towards the military and first responders, teachers, police and fire fighters. They know that the policies being presented to them are the exact same policies that destroyed the economy (what little policies have actually been presented). They know how high the stakes are. They’ve also seen the President commandeering resources to help during natural and man-made disasters, comforting them, listening to them, caring for them. They’ve seen him represent the country with pride, and they’ve seen that their lies have been thoroughly debunked (even if they don’t want to admit it). They’ve seen that their party is dismantling the very institutions that have been held up as examples of democracy around the world – and that they are actually violating the Constitution (civil rights, human rights, women’s rights – the right to vote, the right to freedom, the right to fair work).

They are willfully ignorant and they are being used, and a lot of them are being fueled by hate – and that makes them stupid – in my opinion.

• September 21, 2012 at 11:40 am

He’s being totally awesome! What a command of the details. I can’t keep track of what I did yesterday, never mind the intricacies of Obamacare, Medicare, etc.

• September 21, 2012 at 11:41 am

I know, right? LOLz.

He knows this stuff inside out.

• September 21, 2012 at 11:43 am

Meta, he sure does… can’t wait to see him obliterate Robme in the debates. Chips, I agree. These are complicated issues and the audience deserves comprehensive answers!

• 37 Lovepolitics2008
              September 21, 2012 at 12:16 pm

In command of the details indeed. The only thing he has to improve before the debates: to speak with more fluidity, because it would allow him to say more. I’m very aware that he is so scrutinized it may make him extra,extra careful, a bit nervous even. Very understandable. But, and please don’t be mad at me, I still think that if he succeeded at delivering his answers more fluidly, he would be even better. And he would just CREAM, and I mean CREAM Romney in the debates. No doubt in my mind that with some hard work in debate prep, he can do this. He was absolutely fantastic in 2008…

September 21, 2012 at 12:28 pm

He has always spoken with this style which actually sounds more authentic and sincere. During debates, voters are interested in what he’s going to do for them, not how quickly or fluidly he delivers a set of phony canned talking points.

The problem with the GOP is that they speak “fluently” (their overly rehearsed and scripted talking points), but by the end of the debate, you don’t know what their plans are and how it will help you.

• September 21, 2012 at 11:46 am

What a great close! They loved him.

5. 41 Linda
    September 21, 2012 at 11:28 am

LyinRyan is going to address the AARP event ?

Why ?

• 42 COS
      September 21, 2012 at 11:42 am

PBO is stealing lyin Ryan’s thunder and telling the group what to expect from him.

• 43 Sharon
        September 21, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I’ve seen press reports on what Ryan plans to say–the usual misrepresentations plus his great plan. Curious about how he answers their questions. I don’t see how he can expect to get it favorably past this obviously well informed group.

6. 45 lamh35
    September 21, 2012 at 11:44 am

Posted this to twitter, just to make you laugh on this Friday morning, the new Obama translator video is funny as hell! Oh, not that I need to tell ya’ll this, but there is cussing and harsh language!

7. 46 Rita
    September 21, 2012 at 11:45 am

Woo hoo! I’m on cloud 9!! Just got two tickets to go see POTUS on Oct. 8th!!!. He doesn’t come to the Bay Area very often and when he does, they are not free rallys, unlike other states. They are all ticketed fundraisers. So I’ll probably be up in the rafters, but super excited!!!

• 47 susanne
      September 21, 2012 at 4:02 pm

sooo jealous! when he comes to hawaii, it’s for a vacation, and he rarely has any public appearances, and then only on oahu, an island far from me. but it’s always a great feeling, just to know he’s in our state!

8. 48 Claire
    September 21, 2012 at 11:46 am

Love my Prez!

9. 49 PhillyinJA
    September 21, 2012 at 11:46 am

Damn it… I missed it. GRRR

10. 50 57andfemale
    September 21, 2012 at 11:47 am

I cannot believe what I am about to say: I am going to quote Markos favorably. Stephanie Miller just had him on the show and it was all good. But one thing really struck me: he made a comment about how ‘unimportant’ voter suppression and CU were and then quickly clarified. Here’s the good part (I paraphrase): “We’ve shown Republicans that no matter what they throw at us, we’ll take the fight right back at them. Suppress the vote? We’ll fight you with everything we’ve got. CU money? We’ll use every weapon in our arsenal to neutralize it. We will fight them on any b.s. they use, and when we fight we win.”

Things were moving favorably in this direction but I think the DNC Convention of 2012 will go down in history: Democrats completely and joyfully embraced what makes our party and our President great: we fight discrimination, we fight for women’s rights, we fight for good jobs and a fair shot for everyone. We no longer let Republicans define us and decide what the narrative will be: we are PROUD of who we are and what we stand for. 8 years ago, you would not have heard such full-throated support for the end of DADT, for women’s reproductive rights. We UNITED and stopped wondering if Republicans would be offended if we fought the battle on our turf instead of theirs.

You won’t hear for a long time that conventions don’t matter. The emoprogs were neutralized. We also took the fight to them: it’s going to take awhile. You gonna get on the bus with us or let Repubicans win? And pretty much, they got on the bus. I don’t want dKos fighting against us. We’re still better off if they’re on our side; and if I didn’t know what dicks they had been from 1/2009 through 2010, I’d look at that site now as the helpful place is was in 2008, minus a few whiners who get shot down pretty fast.

We need everyone fighting this fight. What the DNC proved was that this party is up to the task. Get on board. (Oh God! Do I sound like Queen Ann?!?! Forgive me, please!).

• September 21, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I’ve been perusing DKos this week, and retweeting many of their articles. The poutragers are no longer front-paged. I think the turning point was when that odious slinkerwink was 86’d from the site. (I’m still not sure what she finally did that got her shitcanned.) Markos had to let the poutrage fever go through him; I think he’s better now.

• 52 57andfemale
        September 21, 2012 at 12:20 pm

That’s it, exactly. I wandered back in January because I always liked their liveblogging for debates and was pleasantly surprised but skeptical. I started my blogosphere experience with dKos in 2007 (hence ’57andFemale’) and was horrified at what happened right after the 2008 election. 2010 should have been a wake-up call but lately it’s been the way I remember it. In some ways, seeing the disastrous effects of emoprog-ism may have made things stronger and more effective. The childish impatience is way down on the list of priorities. We may have really turned the corner in understanding how we must change hearts and minds institutionally, and that takes time, coordination and long term commitment. Let’s face it – it took Republicans 30 years to change what Americans believe, we’re not going to undo it because we think we’ve elected the Messiah.

dKos is still a great source for current information and important links. I’m glad to see that more of us are fighting together than fighting each other. It ain’t perfect. Hey, we’re Democrats. But it’s much better. Markos was sincere in his elation of where we’re headed. It was great to hear.

• 53 4morefor44
        September 21, 2012 at 12:22 pm

oh, she’s back by the way, and already starting on hurting, not helping, tim kaine get into the senate (something she wrote just a few days ago). she’s sewing depression and division within democrats already, and even on the precipice of this historic election. this is what i mean about these people…it’s a waste of time. they are energy-sucks. nothing will ever be good enough. they are addicted to poutrage. they’re best ignored in my opinion.

• September 21, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I didn’t know that. Damned shame. Her fanboys must’ve whined sufficiently.

• 55 TrumpDog
          September 21, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Exactly. I remember someone was on the site whining about Ryan and his Medicare lies and saying how Obama should put an ad out. Slink was right there, agreeing and saying some shit. Then when Obama did put out an ad, she was there again, saying something about how it wasn’t good enough.
          Typical Debbie Doom and Gloom Downer. I bet she’s great at parties… :roll:

• 56 PoliticalJunkessa
          September 21, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Oh yeah, finkyslinky is still there, still being a brat and malcontent. You know the famous Mother Jones video of the Romney comments? Well apparently an anonymous poster first posted it to DailyKos for exposure, but a gaggle of emoprogs, including the slinky one, hiderated the post into oblivion and ran the person off the site. Brilliant, right? :roll:

Kos was pissed about missing that scoop. :lol:

• 57 theo67
            September 21, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Didn’t Slink work for FireDogLake? That’s all I needed to know. I did battle with her one night on DKos, and she went into victim mode when she realized she was losing the argument. Very pathetic. I’m still very skeptical about DKos – I haven’t really been there since 2010 (save a couple of linked articles). They did a lot of damage.

• 58 PoliticalJunkessa
              September 21, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I don’t know if she worked for FireDogLake, I think she wrote for something called the Peanut Butter and Jelly PAC or something like that, lol. But she sure had firebaggin’ in her blood. Just a hot mess.

I have visited DKos regularly since the summer because they always did have some of the best writers and diarists. I ignore the rest.

• 59 TrumpDog
        September 21, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I think the turning point was when that odious slinkerwink was 86′d from the site.

Really? Because I knew she was banned but then she was allowed to return…

Was she banned again?

I agree the site is much much better now that the emos seem to have left or been quieted. Much better.

• 61 4morefor44
      September 21, 2012 at 12:17 pm

an important learning point i think in all these last few years is to never trust these people again. it’s easy to come back into the fold now, but when the sheet hit the fan, these emoprogs not only bailed, but actively worked against what president obama was doing. fine, whatever, getting their votes is great and all, but i don’t think we should ever actively seek their help. that goes for people like ed schultz and a lot of the supposed “liberal” people in the media. the other thing is to realize they make a lot of noise online, but in the overall society they are a tiny sliver.

“never forget” i guess is my message. we don’t really need them after all, but as you say, it’s nice to have some help, no matter how small it is.

• 62 57andfemale
        September 21, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I understand the sentiment, I really do. But I cannot condemn the entire site. It’s still a collection of individuals. Some of our own TOD family are posting there. There are many paths to success. I completely respect the people who cannot forgive — PBO was burned and burned badly. I fled in total disgust, first to TOAITR and then to TOD as my (always) major blog where I live. I’m just seeing a more mature approach to winning back our country and I for one am glad that there are more of us fighting smart than there were in 2010.

• 63 TrumpDog
          September 21, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I agree. I visit more now but I do so very carefully and with the mindset that any moment now they will turn on a dime.
          I have a very long memory and cant ever forget the shit they were allowed to post about Pres. Obama.
          I still despise Cenk Uyger and will NEVER forgive him.

• 64 theo67
            September 21, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I totally agree.

• 65 57andfemale
            September 21, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Cenk I will NEVER forgive. And of course, Cenk is still spewing the same b.s. on Current.

So Glen Beck starts his own cable network and they would NEVER dream of saying one decent thing about PBO. But Current must be ‘fair’ and ‘independent’. Elliot Spitzer’s show appears to be a platform for his whining that he’s not the next PBO. Newsflash, Elliot: you’re not in the WH because you had to order hookers from the governor’s mansion. Nobody’s fault but your own. There are some great voices and I give them ratings: Stephanie Miller, Jennifer Granholm, Bill Press (sometimes!) But I would really love a real progressive network that understands how to win elections.

• 66 4morefor44
          September 21, 2012 at 12:35 pm

well, fortunately we have many other options nowadays to spend our precious time, places without all the nonsense. i will rarely visit dailykos and the others, and will definitely not promote them in any way. there are so many other great sites today!

September 21, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I think the turning point for Old Orange was after OWS deteriorated into a fringe element and subsequently fizzled out. Around the same time, the GOP primaries were underway, and the unthinkable alternatives to Barack Obama were on full display for everyone. I think many people on that site gained a new respect for our President, after they saw (via the epic failure of OWS) that it’s not just a matter of wanting something to happen and stomping your feet and “fighting” to make it happen. It’s a matter of using the tools you have, strategizing, cooperating and yes, compromising at times. And CHANGE comes slowly or doesn’t happen at all. There’s no such thing as instant gratification.

Now KOS himself may never admit it, but I also believe that the site itself was losing ratings as people left and it became another cesspool. I see a lot more linking to KOS articles on Twitter than I did last year at this time for e.g. More people are visiting the site and reading the diaries.

I’m willing to give them a chance as long as their support of our President is sincere and does not hurt his re-election chances. And I have to say that for the most part, the site is much more positive than negative when it comes to PBO and the Democrats in general. Let’s hope that continues.

11. 68 anniebella
    September 21, 2012 at 11:50 am

That Ayn Rand, what’s legitimate rape, destroy Medicare, liar will be speaking next at 12:30. In case you wonder who I’m taking about it’s Paul Ryan.

12. 69 57andfemale
    September 21, 2012 at 11:52 am

Australia’s deputy prime minister: Wayne Swan has launched a blistering attack on US Republicans, declaring “cranks and crazies” have taken over the party and have come to represent the No 1 threat to the world’s biggest economy.

• 70 cluny
      September 21, 2012 at 11:56 am

Yes – we love PBO here – especially members of the Gillard government which is center left. Chips had a great link to this story in the rise and shine section

• 71 57andfemale
        September 21, 2012 at 12:02 pm

oops. Missed it. I’m under the weather and not caught up on all the posts. Thanks for the sanity!

• 72 nathkatun7
        September 21, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Cluny, I really loved the warm reception you gave President Obama when he visited Australia. My nephew spent 25 years in Australia first as a graduate student and then as a law professor. He is now teaching in New York but loves Australia very much. He has been urging me to go with him to visit and I think I will definitely take him up on it the next time he comes there.

13. 73 cluny
    September 21, 2012 at 11:55 am

Gee – the PBO event finished so fast – I missed it and I was trying so hard to stay awake! Waaaaa! Does anyone know if it will be shown anywhere like C-span? The consolation is seeing all the posts here saying how wonderful he was. TOD is heaven!

14. September 21, 2012 at 11:56 am

I love these trend lines from Nate:

15. 84 Lovepolitics2008
    September 21, 2012 at 11:57 am

Just caught the last part of President Obama’s Q&A with AARP. The last question was about gridlock in Congress. I found very interesting that he has changed his response from what he said at the beginning of the week. Today, he didn’t say that he hopes more collaboration from republicans since they won’t be working to deprive him of another term. Instead, President Obama said that he used ( and will use) every good idea from the republicans BUT will say NO to the bad ideas, and he listed them. This certainly shows a shift: he’s now focussing on getting a democratic Congress. He’s not saying it bluntly, but if you read between the lines, it’s clear. I found this very interesting…

• September 21, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I noticed it, too. I think their internal polling must look very good right now.

• 87 theo67
      September 21, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I’ve heard a few people wondering about President Obama’s first comments about expecting more cooperation from the right wing in his second term. People have been speculating that the lesson that the right wing are taking from Mitt’s drubbing is that he wasn’t conservative enough, and if they’d just stuck to their guns and nominated a real tea party person – they would be winning. The Republican party is working hard to kill itself – but with the ignorant deniers who can’t see truth even when it’s staring them right in the face, they will not back down. Their policy is “no apology” right? So, it’s going to take a complete tidal wave of blue, and steam rolling of a REAL Democratic majority to push this country into progress and demonstrate who actually has the best interests of the middle class at heart.

I’m glad the President has updated his messaging on this. The Republicans are a lost cause – there may be one or two people willing to negotiate, but it will be up to them to compromise and make the first move.

16. 88 JER
    September 21, 2012 at 11:58 am

Stream is up for President Obama in Woodbridge, VA: http://www.cnn.com/video/flashLive/live.html?stream=1

17. September 21, 2012 at 11:59 am

Wow!

• 91 forus50
      September 21, 2012 at 12:02 pm

The NC poll was conducted Sept 8-13 and again from Sept 15-18. The release of the 47% tape occurred late afternoon/early evening of Sept 17, so its effect hasn’t been included in these numbers. R-Money is in big trouble.

18. September 21, 2012 at 12:01 pm

From the WSJ:

The [CO/IA/WI] results come as public opinion is on the verge of turning into votes cast at the ballot box. So far, on-the-ground data from two early voting states, Iowa and North Carolina, are mixed for the two candidates. In North Carolina, Republicans have requested nearly 7,000 more absentee ballots than Democrats, out of nearly 50,000 requests, according to state officials.

But in Iowa, Democrats have requested roughly 100,000 ballots, compared with 16,073 ballots requested by Republicans.

“I see the early vote numbers, and I grimace a little bit,” said Craig Robinson, a former political director of the Iowa Republican Party and editor of a popular blog, The Iowa Republican. “It feels like an Obama state….The president has been more accessible to voters than Romney and Ryan.”

19. 96 donna dem 4 obama
    September 21, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Hello TOD!!!

I guess the silly media is finally starting to understand the power of our fantabulous OFA grassroots. Better late than never ;)

• 97 57andfemale
      September 21, 2012 at 12:27 pm

as a Chicagoan, you have no idea how much I loathe the stupid, craven Lynn Sweet. Glad to see a positive tweet from her.

20. 98 sherijr
    September 21, 2012 at 12:10 pm

who is this speaking right now? can’t see his face on cnn.. said he founded nextel.. but is he also a politician?

• 99 sherijr
      September 21, 2012 at 12:17 pm

oh dang that was Mark Warner.. he was really really good, I’ve not heard him speak this way before, but only heard him speak a couple of times tho.

21. 100 cluny
    September 21, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I love to see PBO with old people and children – he always seems so genuinely happy to interact with them – I’ve always thought it’s because there’s nothing phony about them and he must love that. Did anyone read that awful Maureen Dowd column a little while ago where she was slamming PBO for not sucking up to rich donors enough? I love him more for not doing that and after seeing Romney pander to the $50,000 a plate crowd I was so happy that PBO doesn’t suck up to the richie rich’s. If they want to contribute because they believe in the cause – great but if not he’s got a big job to do and doesn’t need hassles from rich dem’s needing an ego boost. PBO is the BEST!

• 101 theo67
      September 21, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Your post reminds me of this chapter in the Michael Lewis Vanity Fair article:

“His desire to hear out junior people (in meetings) is a warm personality trait as much as a cool tactic, of a piece with his desire to play golf with White House cooks rather than with CEOs, and basketball with people who treat him as just another player on the court; to stay home and read a book rather than go to a Washington cocktail party; and to seek out, in any crowd, not the beautiful people but the old people.”

The part about him seeking out the old people struck me. It might be because he lived with his grandparents, and recognizes the wisdom to be found in older people. But, it definitely says something about President Obama that he treasures these people – seeks them out. There’s a respect there.

September 21, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Dennis at BJ

The polls and Mitt repeatedly stomping on his own dick are nice, but this item from the National Journal is better (emphasis added):

With absentee and early voting set to begin next week in Iowa, a battleground state in the presidential race, Democrats have a 6-to-1 edge in ballot requests so far, The Wall Street Journal reported.

Democrats requested roughly 100,000 ballots, compared with 16,073 ballots requested by Republicans, the newspaper said. Absentee voting and in-person early voting begins on Sept. 27.

“I see the early vote numbers, and I grimace a little bit,” said Craig Robinson, a former political director of theIowa Republican Party and editor of a popular blog…

23. 110 Linda
    September 21, 2012 at 12:17 pm

“Shame On Them”: Obama Co-Panelists Fault Media Who Misreported 1998 Redistribution Clip

Three panelists who appeared with President Barack Obama at the 1998 conference where he mentioned “redistribution” agree that his comments were wrongly taken out of context by the conservative press and some mainstream media outlets.

The panelists at the Loyola University event also recall then-state senator Obama discussing funding of education and other social through foundations and public funds.

“Shame on them,” said Maureen Hellwig, who was a program coordinator for the Policy Research Action Group, a consortium of non-profit community organizations, when she appeared on the panel. “How do you take one phrase and say therefore this person is a socialist? You need to know a lot more about him, give other examples. He wasn’t discussing socialism at the meeting, he was discussing distribution of public funds to produce good public adult education.”

• September 21, 2012 at 1:12 pm

It’s amusing to me that the Republicans think Americans care about some silly tape that mentions the word redistribution. Not even on the radar of average Americans. It’s clear the ‘victim’ characterization by Romney is the word Americans are reacting to right now.

• 112 nathkatun7
        September 21, 2012 at 7:32 pm

You are so right Tien that most Americans are not paying that much attention this “redistribution” nonsense. What is really disgusting to me is the failure of the corporate (mainstream) media to report the TRUTH.

24. September 21, 2012 at 12:19 pm

i really don’t pay attention to how “close” polls are. i think people underestimate the support Obama has and how popular he truly is. People don’t REALLY start their engines until the votes REALLY count. i think the debates will decide it, which is bad news for rob-me, cuz the Prez got SO much ammunition to go against him that it’s not funny. i like how some of these right-wing nuts think Rob-me has a chance to win some of the debates against Obama lmao really?! Rob-me has proven himself to be a JOKE this entire election year, and that won’t change now. The ONLY way this election will be close, is if those block-the-vote laws turn out the way they want it to. if Obama has been such a “terrible” president, why do they need that bullshit law? That just goes to tell you how afraid they are of the great PBO.

• 114 japa21
      September 21, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I ampretty sure the debates won’t decide this. No matter how good Romney is, I don’t think he can make up enough ground (personally, if anything comes out of the debates, it will probably be PBO widening his lead). I am very confident (though neither cocky nor complacent) that PBO is going to win. I am also feeling really good about the Senate and the House. Lots of work to be done yet, though.

• September 21, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Oh, that’s what i meant japa. When i mean decide this, i mean that PBO will decide it, clinch it. The American people will finally see that Obama is the clear choice. The debates are like Superbowls, there’s SO many eyes watching.

25. 116 Lovepolitics2008
    September 21, 2012 at 12:25 pm

The event in Virginia has ALREADY started !!

26. 117 Linda
    September 21, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Karl Rove’s American Crossroads super PAC reported Thursday that it raised over $9.4 million in August — $1 million of which came from Clayton Williams Energy Inc. in Midland, Texas. That company’s chairman of the board, president, and chief executive officer is, unsurprisingly, Clayton Williams, Jr. Williams was the Texas Republican gubernatorial nominee who lost his 1990 race to then-State Treasurer Ann Richards (D) after making infamous comments defending rape.

At a cattle roundup on his Texas ranch, the oil and gas tycoon told ranch hands, campaign workers, and reporters that bad weather was like rape. “If it’s inevitable, just relax and enjoy it.” His double-digit lead in the polls evaporated and he lost the election.

September 21, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Yeah, in today’s GOP, he could just hang in there with the rape comments and deny he said what he said, and they’d vote for him. As if he’d feel a need to deny, that is.

27. September 21, 2012 at 12:29 pm

More laughs for a Friday morning! SNL Thursday Political specials, skewers Romney and Faux News

28. September 21, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Howdy Ho all you O’s!!!! Another great getting up day in the TODhood! All aboard the O train steadily moving FORWARD to the Nov 6th voting booths. How about this data? Under the Mittiful’s plan, the average police officer’s taxes would increase by $1268.00, while Addleson would get a $2 billion decrease. Go figure.

My political take today is the first debate has been so built up as the change agent that will determine Mitt’s fate, that no way he meets expectation. His base and the media has done him a disservice in that regard. We already have seen that he doesn’t do well under pressure. The GOOP primaries were handed to him as a gift. All the yahoo’s tried to outdo each other in the crazy talk, so all Mitt had to do was stand there and make $10,000 bets.

29. 123 lamh35
    September 21, 2012 at 12:33 pm

30. September 21, 2012 at 12:37 pm

31. 125 sherijr
    September 21, 2012 at 12:38 pm

oh man POTUS is going all the way off on Romney’s BS. “We Don’t Want It” !! WooHoo!

32. 129 Claire
    September 21, 2012 at 12:40 pm

YES!!!!! FIRED UP!!! This campaign speech was INCREDIBLE!!

33. 130 ourmanflint
    September 21, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Wooooooooow!!!!!! I am not fighting for Democratic jobs or Republican jobs, i am fighting for American jobs!!!: Pres Obama

34. 133 cluny
    September 21, 2012 at 12:42 pm

YOWZA! The Prez was fantastic AND hilarious. He was having fun and kicking ass.

35. September 21, 2012 at 12:46 pm

In response to what Chris Mathews had to say, for which I’m very grateful that he’s begun calling it just what it is – suppressing the black vote and stoking racism. Plenty of us white folk have been saying just that for a very long time. One of our biggest problems is white #NEWSTAINERS enabling the racists and the politicians who represent them.

36. September 21, 2012 at 12:46 pm

September 21, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Uh oh…

38. 144 cookemom
    September 21, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Whaaaat!?!?!?!? Did I miss it? I click on CSPAN and folks are leaving. Oh Noes!!!

September 21, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I missed it too cookemom.. Apparently it was a bit earlier than scheduled. :(

I hope CSPAN has the archived video.

• 146 cookemom
        September 21, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Yeah, they should. Now I’m looking at Eddie Munster at the AARP. He’s not getting much love. Polite applause at the appropriate time, but nothing like PBO got earlier. I hope his mom is on the payroll, since he’s trotting her out.

39. 147 lamh35
    September 21, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Welp Ryan ain’t getting the reaction from AARP crowd that they want.

Unlike low-info voters, this AARP convention attendee pay attention.

@AlexNBCNews: Loud boos for Ryan at AARP when he says “The first step to a stronger Medicare is to repeal Obamacare”

@AlexNBCNews
    now audience members at AARP are yelling “you lie” as Ryan tells crowd Medicare is going bankrupt #decision2012

40. September 21, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Saw on Twitter that there were loud boos for Paul Ryan at AARP when he said “the first step to a stronger Medicare is to repeal Obamacare” (mmurraypolitics).

September 21, 2012 at 12:52 pm

America LOVES it some ObamaCare!!!

42. 157 xtine
    September 21, 2012 at 12:54 pm

[I FELL A BLINK COMING ON]:

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu won’t meet with the President Barak Obama next week on the margins of the UN General Assembly in New York, but in order to ease the recent tensions between the heads of state, Netanyahu sent a message of appeasement to the Obama campaign in the form of Minister of Defense Ehud Barak. The message: The Israeli leader is not meddling in the elections taking place in the United States.

Minister Barak and former Obama Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel. Emanuel is currently mayor of Chicago, but is still actively involved in the campaign to reelect President Obama. At their meeting, Barak told Emanuel that Netanyahu is unapologetic for his stance on Iran, but that he has absolutely no intention to support one presidential candidate or another or get involved in any other way in the elections.

• 158 cluny
      September 21, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Yes – then why is he (Bibi) appearing in a R ad on Florida? Sarkozy was right – he’s a liar.

• 159 xtine
        September 21, 2012 at 2:17 pm

[Shiny objects -- won't work]:

“A majority of Florida Jews (54 percent) said the economy was most important issue in deciding how they would vote, and another 16 percent cited health care. National security, U.S.-Israel relations, Social Security and abortion each were named by 5 percent of Florida Jews as their most important issue. Only 1 percent named the Iranian nuclear program as their top issue.

Even when asked about their second and third most important issues, Florida Jews prioritized domestic concerns. Only 9 percent cited Israel as their second most important issue, and 14 percent cited it as their third most important. Iran’s nuclear program was cited as the second most important issue by only 1 percent and third most important by only 2 percent.”

• 160 Don
      September 21, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Netanyahu finally realized he was dealing with Michael Corleone and not Fredo.

• 161 cluny
        September 21, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Ain’t it the truth! Oh I’m having too much fun today – must not get too high until the election’s over and PBO is still safely in the Whitehouse and Health Care (especially) stands for all the people.

• 162 Lovepolitics2008
      September 21, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Netanyahu just acknowledges the fact that Barack Obama will be re-elected President on Nov. 7th.

43. 164 Allison
    September 21, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Has anyone else noticed when you watch PBO on CNN online steaming you would see him shaking hands at the end of his speech and you could listen to the great music. Now at the end of each speech, they cut the feed after a few minutes.

44. September 21, 2012 at 12:55 pm

45. 169 cookemom
    September 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Wait, was that Ryan’s mom booing the line about Romney?

September 21, 2012 at 12:58 pm

47. 176 lamh35
    September 21, 2012 at 1:02 pm

DAMNNNN! Ya’ll thought the NAACP crowd was pissed!

‏@AlexNBCNews
    As Ryan says about Obama “He’s put his own job security over your retirement security” lady in crowd yells “NO, Obama cares!” #decision2012

48. 177 cookemom
    September 21, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Ok, this is embarrassing. Another day or two that the Mittiful campaign will be off message as they try to answer questions about Ryan being booed by one of Mitt’s most likely voting demographic. Woo boy!

September 21, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Oh dear…I have a feeling that we aren’t in 2010 anymore…

50. 185 cookemom
    September 21, 2012 at 1:04 pm

here’s the Ryan link for some laughs: http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN3/

51. 186 lamh35
    September 21, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Alright peeps, off to lunch with some friends twitter warriors keep it up!

52. 187 cookemom
    September 21, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Stephanie Cutter on Andrea Mitchell MSNBC

53. 189 Sharon
    September 21, 2012 at 1:07 pm

He’s also on C-Span 3 and they will have the video archived.

54. 194 Don
    September 21, 2012 at 1:10 pm

That’s the last time I’ll delete any email I get from AARP.

September 21, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Go Tammy go!!! :) :)

September 21, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Loving all the boos ryan baby is getting. :)

57. 205 Sharon
    September 21, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Ryan says don’t demagogue the other side in Congress. What were those 30 Senators doing yesterday on the Senate floor with all their evil speeches yesterday?

58. 206 Don
    September 21, 2012 at 1:13 pm

But what about Paul Ryan’s six-pack abs, don’t that count for anything?

59. 208 Ladyhawke
    September 21, 2012 at 1:16 pm

LOLGOP ‏@LOLGOP

———————————

Paul Ryan’s NAACP moment BUT WORSE. Huge boos for his attacks on the president.

——————————

60. 209 Ladyhawke
    September 21, 2012 at 1:17 pm

LOLGOP ‏@LOLGOP

—————————————

Huge boos at AARP when Paul Ryan says they would repeal ObamaCare. Who thought this was a good idea? Hope he got a bonus.

—————————————

September 21, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I suspected as much, but anyway GOTV!!!

62. 218 FiredUpInCA
    September 21, 2012 at 1:21 pm

63. 220 Linda
    September 21, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Medic ! Medic !….Bring the stretcher……..Lyin Ryan is getting beat up at the AARP event.

old people with canes and walkers….appear to be the perps

September 21, 2012 at 1:22 pm

when you have lose your own media shills, time to gtfo.

65. September 21, 2012 at 1:23 pm

66. 223 cluny
    September 21, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Why is that idiot Ryan smirking when he’s being booed? What a nut – bigger whack pack than Romney.

September 21, 2012 at 1:56 pm

What is he to do duny, tell you 47% to shut the hell up.

• 225 EricFive
      September 21, 2012 at 2:12 pm

He probably figures FOXNews will edit out the boos, so he keeps on smiling and lying. Seeing the reaction of the AARP crowd to Ryan made my day. Dems embracing “Obamacare” and PBO’s agenda is the main difference btw 2012 and 2010.

67. 227 FiredUpInCA
    September 21, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Ryan being booed at AARP:

September 21, 2012 at 1:28 pm

69. 230 Don
    September 21, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I don’t think Paul Ryan wanted this type of Friday news dump.

70. 231 Linda
    September 21, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Breaking :

All Romney gear now 50 % off !!! Anything with Ryan on it 75 % off. Both together ” Free “!

September 21, 2012 at 1:31 pm

72. 239 Lovepolitics2008
    September 21, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Have you EVER seen a politician as ARROGANT as Paul Ryan ? In many ways, he’s worse that Romney. Romney is an opportunist and doesn’t have a clue about the lives of the middle class and the poor. But I think he has some compassion in him when confronted DIRECTLY with it. Ryan, on the other hand, is simply… creepy. He is a very dangerous ideologue, and doesn’t even understand the concepts of compassion, community, solidarity. I hope that this campaign completely destroys the influence of Paul Ryan in the republican party. Moreover, I hope the love affair the Beltway seemed to have with him will be destroyed, finished. Forever.

• 240 PoliticalJunkessa
      September 21, 2012 at 1:41 pm

He’s a True Believer — this Randian philosophy is his religion and I’m sure he sees himself as a crusader fulfilling his calling. He had to grab onto something, so he grabbed onto this wacked out way of thinking and he’s been collecting a government salary and government benefits for 20 years peddling it.

• 241 Lovepolitics2008
        September 21, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Exactly. Had he grabbed on Marx instead of Rand when he was young, he would have become a new Lenin. And watching him on the stage, there’s something so weird about the guy. It’s like his intellectual and psychological development just stopped long ago during his teenage years. He looks… immature.

• September 21, 2012 at 1:43 pm

i hate Ryan’s smile. Has to be the most fake smile i’ve ever seen…

73. September 21, 2012 at 1:37 pm

74. 246 PoliticalJunkessa
    September 21, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Don’t get the Q-Tips started! They’ll boo your ass down, sonny! I soooo can’t wait to see the clip later. You just know they are laughing their asses off on Air Force One. :lol: :lol: :lol:

75. September 21, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Chips, everyone, it is now abundantly clear what our dear President Obama is doing and #BainMitt goes for the bait every time, just like he did yesterday :D :D

Those aren’t ‘gaffes’ folks, those are exquisitely precise insertions of a big yummy worm, and #BainMitt swallows the hook every time.

Be very, very careful is the best advice I could ever give anyone wanting to challenge PBO.

#FORWARD

• September 21, 2012 at 1:45 pm

That’s the first thing I thought yesterday, too. Punkd and pwnd.

• September 21, 2012 at 2:05 pm

He has evidenced knowing how to push #BirtherMitt’s buttons for quite some time.

Yesterday, it was like – ‘just how obvious do I have to be before you clowns catch a clue’ and the answer is, Mr President, you could explain it to them in simple sentences and they still would fall for it the next time :)

76. 250 Don
    September 21, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Me too, I stuck here at work.

77. 251 cookemom
    September 21, 2012 at 1:41 pm

This just in! P90X has had an injunction issued that prevents Rep Paul Ryan form mentioning that he uses the well-known exercise system. When asked why the company was taking such an extreme measure, a spokesman responded, “Rep Ryan has glutes for brains”

September 21, 2012 at 1:42 pm

79. September 21, 2012 at 1:43 pm

80. 259 Don
    September 21, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Ryan has no choice but to stay the course, even though it’s going end very badly for him. But hey he’s young, and he still has time to salvage what is left of his political career.

• 260 Lovepolitics2008
      September 21, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I hope his political career is done. On the national level at least. No need for the ideology of Ayn Rand in the national conversation. I hope a second Obama term will take care of that.

81. 261 cookemom
    September 21, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Highlight of returns, 14.1% effective tax rate, paid $1.9M in taxes, took $2.25M in deductions for charitable contributions.

82. September 21, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Soooo glad Dr. Jill Biden is bringing women’s issues … then…”I’ve seen Joe up close” (crowd roars)!

83. 263 donna dem 4 obama
    September 21, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Okay I just saw the Ryan tape of him getting booed.

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I am laughing hysterically here in my office. I swear they are going to kick me out of here. What a nut Ryan is!

Romney/Ryan believe their own press. They watch that Fox mess and listen to Rush and they really honestly believe that this is how the public feels about their crazy policies.

Well he got a whole heaping dose of reality today. I’m friggin loving it!!!!
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 264 theo67
      September 21, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I haven’t seen the clip yet, but you are so right about their delusion. They’ve believed their own lies and hype! And now they’re going to pay for their foolishness.

84. 266 Don
    September 21, 2012 at 1:51 pm

So Romney is about to release some returns in a couple of hours. At long last, this asshole doesn’t have any chips left to play. And I’ve got a feeling he’s even going to fuck the release up.

85. September 21, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Rob-me tax rate for 2011 was 14.1%…………………

September 21, 2012 at 1:51 pm

September 21, 2012 at 1:53 pm

88. 271 Claire
    September 21, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I am so glad that the POTUS straight up calls their plan a voucher plan. If ever there was a word that turns off seniors it’s thinking of medicare as a voucher plan.

89. 273 Claire
    September 21, 2012 at 2:00 pm

At a press conference this morning, a reporter asked Boehner whether Republicans were “eventually going to have to raise taxes in some way” if the president wins in November.

“No,” replied Boehner. “Raising taxes, according to Ernst and Young, would threaten our economy with a loss of 700,000 jobs. Now why would I ever be for something like that? I’m not.”

This is why the DNC needs to campaign on throwing out the “no compromise, just say no, do nothing congress members.” They have got to make the no compromise repub candidates the bad guys.

90. 274 cookemom
    September 21, 2012 at 2:05 pm

You know things are bad for Mittiful, when he releases his tax returns today.