Sep

Pete Souza: Genius

President Obama greets the family of Make-A-Wish child Francisco “Paqui” Lopez Pena, outside the Oval Office, Aug. 6

President Obama plays basketball during a visit to the McIntosh family farm in Missouri Valley, Iowa, Aug. 13. The President toured a cornfield on the family farm to view the effect the drought is having on crops

President Obama greets troops after delivering remarks at Fort Bliss in El Paso, Texas, Aug. 31. The President traveled to Fort Bliss to mark the two-year anniversary of the end of America’s combat mission in Iraq

President Obama reacts after recognizing actress Sissy Spacek in Charlottesville, Va., Aug. 29. The President happened upon Spacek while greeting people following a stop in the town

President Obama greets Holli Benson during a visit with wounded warriors in the East Room of the White House, Aug. 23. Benson accompanied her brother, SSG Michael Benson, during a tour of the White House

Eight-year old Make-A-Wish child Janiya Penny reacts after meeting President Obama as he welcomes her family to the Oval Office, Aug. 8

Neighbors sing Happy Birthday to President Obama during a walk in the Hyde Park/Kenwood section of Chicago, Aug. 12

President Obama talks with Alyssa Mastromonaco, Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, and Trip Director Marvin Nicholson in an elevator at the Bridgeport Arts Center in Chicago, Aug. 12

President Obama talks with members of the 2012 Summer White House intern class before a group photo in the East Room of the White House, Aug. 7

All photos by Pete Souza – more here

And some Sonya N. Hebert magic too….

First Lady Michelle Obama greets former White House staffer Franny Starkey and her daughter Willa prior to an event at the Museum of Contemporary Art Denver in Denver, Aug. 11

First Lady Michelle Obama and Dr. Mehmet Oz jump rope during a taping of the “Dr. Oz Show,” at Rockefeller Plaza in New York, Aug. 29. The First Lady’s appearance was part of a back to school tour to discuss improvements to federal guidelines for school lunches and updates to the Presidential Youth Fitness Program

155 Responses to “Pete Souza: Genius”

1. September 21, 2012 at 7:16 pm

2. 5 Rita
    September 21, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I was so entranced with the picture that I completely forgot to comment. So actually, Bob, I was first ;-)

3. September 21, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Have been looking at that photo for a few moments now, thinking about how much I hope that Francisco prevails and will be able to share another smile, someday, with President Obama. Very touching. Thank you Chips.

4. September 21, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Congratulations on first to our twitter warrior Bobfr.

September 21, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Wonderful, heartwarming pictures :) Thanks Chips!

6. 13 Proud Former White House Intern
    September 21, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Hi everyone,

As promised here is my full report! The Auditorm was on Fire! She is so awesome I love her so much. The choir got the crowd fired up! They were awesome, her speech was phenomenal I took some pictures to I wish I knew how to post them. But I give you fair warning I am fun sized!

7. 14 FiredUpInCA
    September 21, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Romney 60 minutes excerpt. His campaign does not need a turnaround and he is not his campaign:

Mitt Romney: Well, it doesn’t need a turnaround. We’ve got a campaign which is tied with an incumbent president to the United States.

Scott Pelley: Well– as you know, a lot of people were concerned about the video of the fundraiser in which you talked about the 47 percent of the American people who don’t pay taxes. Peggy Noonan, a very well-known conservative columnist, said that it was an example of this campaign being incompetent. And I wonder if any of that criticism gets through to you and whether you’re concerned about it at all, whether–

Mitt Romney: Well, that’s not–

Scott Pelley: –the concerns of Republicans–

Mitt Romney: That’s not…that’s not the campaign. That was me, right? I– that’s not a campaign.

Scott Pelley: You are the campaign–

Mitt Romney: I’ve got a very effective campaign. It’s doing a very good job. But not everything I say is elegant. And I want to make it very clear, I want to help 100 percent of the American people.

8. September 21, 2012 at 7:25 pm

9. September 21, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Credit, where credit is due …. well done, Chris Hayes … this is truly a non-trivial aspect of #BainMitt’s tax charade, as many of you know.

#FORWARD

• 26 ChristiMTL
      September 21, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Yea the blind trust that invested millions in Tagg Romney’s company…….nobody cares about his 2011 taxes….I guess it’s all you people deserve to know,….

10. 27 vitaminlover
    September 21, 2012 at 7:33 pm

God, I love them!

11. 28 ChristiMTL
    September 21, 2012 at 7:33 pm

She is too precious…..very touching.

12. 29 Linda
    September 21, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Does anyone know if the Bush Capital Gains rate expires at the end of the year ? I think that 15 % rate is part of the 2003 Bush cuts.

• September 21, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Unless renewed, all components of the ‘Bush tax cuts’ will expire, Linda. That will cause the 2% a bit of pain, but will cause a bunch of pain for the 98 % and that is why President Obama has been pushing the Congress to extend the components that affect the 1st $ 250,000.00 of earned income. That is actually a tax break for 100 % of Americans because even those making more than 250K will benefit from the extension.

13. September 21, 2012 at 7:43 pm

14. September 21, 2012 at 7:43 pm

willard will make an EVEN MORE MONUMENTAL CALLOUS ASS out of himself in the debates. I’m thinking the more he rehearses the worse he’ll be! And especially with MR. COOL, COMMANDER IN CHIEF, LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD and ACTUAL HUMAN BEING a few feet away!!!!!!

• 34 ChristiMTL
      September 21, 2012 at 7:49 pm

I posted this yesterday because I thought it was so weird.

Ann Romney ‘In all the past debates, he would find me in the audience and after each question, he’d look at me ’cause it was like, “Did I do O.K. Ann? Was that O.K.?” And I love that because he cares so much.

‘I mean, we have such a good relationship and we have such a strong marriage and I know that he measures himself and how he’s doing by my face and how I think he’s doing, so I know in these next debates it’s going to be very important for me to be sitting in that audience.’

Yep, that’s Presidential material……..he needs her approval after each question.

• September 21, 2012 at 7:51 pm

And you can bet your ass Michelle will be letting Barack do his thing as he wipes the floor with Willard while she attends to the girls or is somewhere campaigning. She doesn’t need to hold his hand like a 10 year old.

• 36 Lovepolitics2008
          September 21, 2012 at 8:24 pm

LL, we all know that Barack Obama is a strong man and doesn’t need his wife to hold his hand when he’s in a stressful situation. Nevertheless I think he may appreciate Michelle’s presence at the debates. If I remember well, Michelle was in the audience for all the debates in 2008.

• 38 ChristiMTL
        September 21, 2012 at 7:51 pm

President Obama will crush him….with the truth,….

• 39 sherijr
        September 21, 2012 at 7:56 pm

If he’s telling the truth, he wouldn’t need to look at ms Anne’s face to see if he’s “doing okay”. Apparently its all just a performance for Mitt.

• 40 magapie
        September 21, 2012 at 8:00 pm

OH GACK. That’s just sickening like pretty much everything that falls out of that woman’s mouth.

• 41 Tally
        September 21, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Because he’s a toddler.

• 43 cindysweatt
        September 21, 2012 at 10:14 pm

First the secret tape reveals Mitt’s worry that if Ann is out campaigning people “will get tired of her.” Nice, Mitt. So now she is trying to convince us that he really does care about her. Hmmm. Not sure I’m really buying all that. I think it would be very interesting to have a camera on her face during the whole debate. What will her expressions be each time he steps in it?

• September 21, 2012 at 7:50 pm

As bad as he is off the cuff (*cough*47%*cough*), he’s even worse rehearsed.

15. September 21, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Holy gamoley, Current TV followed me on Twitter.

16. September 21, 2012 at 8:00 pm

17. September 21, 2012 at 8:05 pm

18. September 21, 2012 at 8:05 pm

• 66 magapie
      September 21, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Romney’s approval rating in MA at the end of his first term as governor in Nov. 2006: 34% approve, 65% disapprove. He decided not to run for a second term to “return to the private sector”. Then promptly started his marathon run for president.

19. September 21, 2012 at 8:09 pm

This is so funny,Romney asking for advice on Facebook:

20. 69 kinona
    September 21, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Hey can someone point me to RYANS speech at AARP and OBAMA speech at AARP. I want to see the difference. Ryan got BOOED!! HAHAHAHAHHA

21. September 21, 2012 at 8:18 pm

22. September 21, 2012 at 8:21 pm

23. 74 anniebella
    September 21, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I’m not a crier, but the picture of the young AA girl crying as she meet the President, really touch my heart.

• 75 Claire
      September 21, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I feel exactly the same way.

• 76 0388jojothecat
      September 21, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Me too. That picture of that little girl who appears to be totally overwhelmed to meet the President.

• 77 daiseymay1
      September 21, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Same here.

• 78 Pamela
      September 21, 2012 at 10:39 pm

I looked at that photo for many minutes, I felt so still inside, to absorb what she must have been feeling. Then went back and looked at it a few more times, so moving. So endearing. Her wish come true. God Bless him, and this lovely child.

• 79 mb32
        September 22, 2012 at 9:53 am

It is an amazing photo, plus the symbolism of her under the Abraham Lincoln portrait while her family greets America’s first black president. This is one of those photos destined for the history books IMO.

24. September 21, 2012 at 8:33 pm

30,000 Libyans march to protest militias thought behind attack that killed U.S. ambassador

Some good friends involved … very proud of them. They love America and our President.

• September 21, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Chips, some excellent photos in that story, linked above, that most Americans are likely never to see because you know darn well our corporatist #NEWSTAINERS don’t want Americans to realize that the policies of President Obama are actually engendering love for the USA.

• September 21, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Exactly Bob, powerful stories behind each of the images, one more moving than the other. Let’s put them out there ;-)

• 84 4morefor44
        September 21, 2012 at 8:51 pm

omg!! that’s incredible! 30,000 vs. 30. i think we all know which group the american media will report on the most/exclusively.

further proof of the genius of president obama’s foreign policy…let each country’s people determine their own direction. wow, oh wow. seems like just yesterday john mccain was having dinner with qadafi in libya, well, it was just a couple years ago though. gotta love those republicans, huh?

• September 21, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Yes, 44, McCain was paling with Gaddafi and this is a really good video on that topic ….

• 86 4morefor44
            September 21, 2012 at 9:27 pm

great clip, bob! thanks. seems like an actual reporter there…weird. i remember republicans trying to do the usual false equiv with this. since president obama was forced to shake his hand at some summit a couple years ago. yes, a forced, awkward 5 second handshake is exactly the same as traveling to libya, having dinner, and staying the night with him.

joe lieberman and lindsey graham were there too and lieberman call qadafi “an important ally in the fight against terrorism” after that dinner/love fest.

seriously, is there a modern-day republican who isnt pure evil?!? that’s not hyperbole.

25. 87 forus50
    September 21, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Regarding Lyin’ Ryan getting booed at AARP: Today was actually the first time I have seen that the truth of Obamacare has finally sunk in with seniors. Finally Finally Finally. Big day.

• September 21, 2012 at 8:52 pm

As I tweeted:

• 90 4morefor44
      September 21, 2012 at 8:56 pm

i was at the barber today and they had a tv on with local news. they showed clips of president obama and lyin ryan at aarp, and made no mention of the crowd reaction at all, and no soundbytes where you hear the reaction to lyan. none. so watching “the news” you’d think aarp members are equally interested in each campaigns plans. that’s how the media builds in the republican bias, in a nutshell.

26. September 21, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Here goes Bernie Sanders worried that This President will cut Social Security, after the Election.
    He sent the WH a letter, demanding that he not cut Social Security.
    With all the SHIT that Ryan/Robney wants to do, he picks on this President.
    This Guy is a Prick!
    That is all!

27. September 21, 2012 at 8:50 pm

You’re gonna love this one, Chips & friends!!

Romney’s Family Trust Invested in Chinese Oil Company (and Bank stocks)

28. September 21, 2012 at 8:52 pm

29. 106 Rita
    September 21, 2012 at 8:54 pm

30. September 21, 2012 at 8:58 pm

By MAGGIE HABERMAN | 9/21/12 7:08 PM
    Mitt Romney’s campaign has planned a string of activities for donors around the debates, including a three-day retreat at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel in Manhattan overlapping with the Oct. 16 debate at Hofstra University, according to a copy of the invitation obtained by POLITICO.

This is all Robney does, Fundraisers. I wonder what Mark Knoller says about this?

31. 123 lamh35
    September 21, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Alex Castellanos, who worked for Mitt Romney in 2008 and continues to be a Republican political consultant, tells Politico’s Maggie Haberman that he is not impressed with the optics of Romney’s tax dump move:

“At first I thought this was an April Fool’s Joke,” said Castellanos, who tweeted something to that effect at me earlier. “But it isn’t April. I can’t imagine that David Axelrod will now say, I’m glad Mitt put this issue behind him. This will drag Mitt’s taxes back into the debate. And there’s not many days left. I just can’t imagine why they would do this. There are 40 days left and you have now made more of them about Mitt’s taxes….you don’t serve a life sentence and then confess afterward. They’ve taken their beating on this (already) … I just don’t understand how a (being) ‘little pregnant’ strategy (works).”

32. 124 ctgirl7
    September 21, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Maddow is going hard on Romney!

33. 125 4morefor44
    September 21, 2012 at 9:08 pm

did you see this one? it’s lyin ryan’s greatest hits today at aarp…a whole bunch of crowd reactions to his lies:

just brutal. never seen anything quite like it, with an official vp candidate speaking…wow!!!

• 126 auntsis522
      September 21, 2012 at 9:24 pm

God day, TOD: Y’know for the life of me, I dont know why didn’t he bring his mommie? He should not show up to those events and speaking on this particular subject without her being present. It worked so well the last time around. :)

• 127 auntsis522
        September 21, 2012 at 9:26 pm

oh my, I am watching martin bashir show….wow…. ok, I will try this again.
        GOOD DAY, TOD: Y’know for the life of me, I don’t know why he didn’t bring his mommie? He should not show up to events and speaking on this particular subject without her being present. It worked so well the last time around. :)

• 128 jackiegrumbacher
      September 21, 2012 at 10:02 pm

I’m sure the seniors in that audience saw right through this empty suit. He’s a liar and a callow, unfit-for-prime time candidate who had no business trying to school them about Medicare. He thought they were fools who couldn’t see through his phoniness. They should have walked out and left him standing there, talking to an empty hall.

34. September 21, 2012 at 9:08 pm

35. September 21, 2012 at 9:08 pm

‘anyone who doesn’t have Jennifer Rubin on speed dial leave the room’!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D:D :D :D :D :D :D

36. September 21, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I’m just finishing some work and checking in and here our Chipstar has Pete Souza. WOW! The incredible emotion in all these photos. I’m crushed by the little AA girl and her parents meeting POTUS in the Oval Office. So tender and sweet.

Got word today that a former client woke this morning to find her 10 week old baby had passed away when she went to check on him in his crib. Be kind to each other, folks. Life does sometimes bring terrible sorrow.

• 136 PoliticalJunkessa
      September 21, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Oh no. That is horrible, I am so sorry to hear of that. Yesterday I was just reflecting on a friend of mine who lost her young daughter in an accident some years ago. She has never been the same. I will say a prayer for your former client.

I agree with you re: the AA girl in the picture — so moving.

• September 21, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Oh, thanks so much, PJ. I worked for her for 4 years and she is beyond devastated. Sometimes things happen and we don’t know how to cope. I can’t imagine how inconsolable the loss of a child must be.

• 138 0388jojothecat
          September 21, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Prayers to your friend/co-worker for her loss of her child. We sometimes forget how fragile life and living everyday can be until we hear of someone being sick or has died. It does not matter the persons age when they leave us way too soon.

• September 21, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Oh, meta, that is heartbreaking ….

• 140 daisydem
      September 21, 2012 at 9:28 pm

I am so sorry Meta. Crib Death is one of the most tragic and traumatic happenings. I hope your client/friend will get some counseling to deal with this. As far as I know, this is still an unexplainable occurrence though there are many medical theories. Again, I am very sorry.

September 21, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Oh my goodness, meta:( If I put myself in her place…..what an unbearable pain she must be feeling now. Such pain and sorrow.

• 144 jackiegrumbacher
      September 21, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Oh,God, what a horrible tragedy. That poor woman must be devastated. I am so sorry, Meta.

• 145 susanne
      September 21, 2012 at 10:21 pm

so very sorry, meta–our prayers for the family.

37. 146 forus50
    September 21, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Chris Hayes is annoying. Tonight he got into Rachel’s dressing room.

38. 148 magapie
    September 21, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Crap I already CAN NOT stop laughing and now THIS!!!

This is douche-baggery that exceeds all previously known limits of douche-baggery!!!!!

39. September 21, 2012 at 9:32 pm

40. September 21, 2012 at 9:34 pm

41. September 21, 2012 at 9:37 pm

New post everyone, it’s the Hitler parody, it HAD to go on the front page!

42. September 21, 2012 at 9:37 pm

I am starting to hear a lot from the Press about how great Robney ground game is, and how confident they are 3 Days before the Election.
    How come the Media don’t Ever mention OFA?

43. September 21, 2012 at 9:38 pm