Sep

A Completely Amazing Day…..

Yemen’s President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi talks to President Obama through an interpreter on the sidelines of the U.N. General Assembly, September 25

… with Brazil’s President Dilma Rousseff

President Obama answers a question from a reporter about the controversial finish in the Monday night NFL game when a touchdown ruling by replacement officials on the game’s final play gave the Seattle Seahawks a 14-12 victory over the Green Bay Packers

Today, from the campaign:

OFA

Thanks you Video Queen Donna!

More from The View here

Gotta Register

Wednesday:

10:0: President Obama departs the White House

11:35: Arrives Bowling Green, Ohio

1:05: Delivers remarks at a campaign event at Bowling Green State University

2:35: Departs Bowling Green

3:15: Arrives in Kent, Ohio

5:40: Delivers remarks at a campaign event

7:00: Departs Kent, Ohio

8:25: Arrives at the White House

A date for your diary…

HollywoodReporter

Long time friends….. 2007:

For people trying to comment here for the first time – please read:

in the sidebar on the right.

Thanks!

192 Responses to “A Completely Amazing Day…..”

September 25, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Hi! Checking if certain people are still keeping an eye on me.

2. 10 magapie
    September 25, 2012 at 7:51 pm

So, VC you have a T-1 line?????

September 25, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I’m not sure what a T-1 line is Magapie. What I have is too much time on my hands….. some days … and I choose to spend it on line. In the good old days when/if I had time I’d read a novel. :lol: :lol:

• 12 magapie
        September 25, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Oh, congrats, BTW! T-1s are awesome THINGS I heard techey guys talk about in the ’90s. Mmm, like monster speaker wires only for those internets. Clearly you have one!

September 25, 2012 at 8:47 pm

TY, Magapie, and no, I don’t have a T-1. (Special wires would be cheating. :grin: :grin: :grin: ) I use my laptop which travels up and down the stairs with me and I have wireless connection. The only other ingredient is monster time . ;)

3. September 25, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I can’t view the entire episode of the view as I’m not in the US. So I’ve been searching for bits and pieces of the interview on youtube.

• September 25, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Can’t stand the show but POTUS and FLOTUS were very relaxed and super lovely. POTUS got all his points in skillfully, as usual. It was sweet to hear FLOTUS talk about retracing their honeymoon trail once their out of office, starting in SF and driving down the central CA coast, some of the most beautiful vistas in the world.

September 25, 2012 at 8:29 pm

meta, I thought that was nice too. So sometime in 2017, Barack and Michelle can take a vacation retracing their honeymoon. Malia will be in college, and Sasha can be with Grandma or Uncle Craig.

• 20 PoliticalJunkessa
        September 25, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Now that’s one piece of Obama trivia that I did not know, that they drove down the California coast on their honeymoon. Sweet.

September 25, 2012 at 9:14 pm

The media paparazzi won’t give them break on that vintage honeymoon tour!

4. 23 Rita
    September 25, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Love the watremark, Chips! I always link back to you, but this makes it sooooo much easier!! :)

5. 24 Rita
    September 25, 2012 at 7:54 pm

oops… watermark, I meant.

6. 31 cindysweatt
    September 25, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Thanks Chips for all the wonderful links.

7. 32 Me4obama (@Me4obama)
    September 25, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I love TOD in Pictures. It’s about time. :smile: thanks Chips for all you do for us.

8. 35 dotster3
    September 25, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Our president is just the coolest, isn’t he?

9. September 25, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Yes, ‘a completely amazing day’ it was, Chips. Thank you for making it so much fun for all of us!

And, everyone, please help bring the message to as many as possible that, in_deed, Mitt Romney has personally profited from slave labor and even enabled it by outsourcing American jobs. So, not only did he gather personal wealth, he destroyed good paying American jobs to make it easier for Chinese factory owners to exploit their workers by reducing competition in the market place.

10. 38 sherijr
    September 25, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Oh man I missed the whole dang wonderful day ~ power off.. but on again now yippee…. thank you thank you thank you so much Chips for having all the goodness here… I so so wanted to see POTUS speech to the UN.. ! So extra special thanks :)

September 25, 2012 at 8:05 pm

12. September 25, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Oh & Chips, I see you are enjoying yourself with the watermarks!!! Stick with the full ‘The Obama Diary’ :D :D :D :D :D

13. September 25, 2012 at 8:10 pm

What’s up people?!

Saw on twitter that Prez gave a great speech and Romney stepped in doodoo again.

14. 52 Dudette
    September 25, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Sent this to DOJ, Lis Smith and a few media folks
    ————

@Lawrence Election fix in? Diebold CEO & eVoting equip supplier (suspected of ballot miscounts) promises Ohio to GOP. http://tiny.cc/gvt7kw

15. September 25, 2012 at 8:21 pm

16. September 25, 2012 at 8:23 pm

A little project of mine:

I’ve spent my day working on this project and organizing my mp3s. I expect that Obama was magnificent as usual, and will spend the rest of the night getting caught up. Has Romney made another gaffe today?

17. 69 PoliticalJunkessa
    September 25, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Oooooo, thanks Chips for such a lovely buffet of TOD goodness awaiting me at the end of the day. Looks like my President handled his packed day with ease, charm and brilliance — as usual. I’m gonna dive into the clips right now…

18. September 25, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Love that Chips has embedded online source onto photos; she’ll get credit where it’s due from those who choose to share.

I’m sure TOD contributers had a field day with Todd Akin allowing the deadline for removing his name from the Missouri ballot to lapse, but this tweet cracked me up.

19. 71 lamh35
    September 25, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Wow, umm awkward!

Mitt Romney tries to lead a chant. Big mistake.

Mitt Romney Stops Supporters from Chanting ‘Ryan’ to Ensure They Say His Name Too

In Vandalia, Ohio, today, after Mitt Romney thanked running mate Paul Ryan for his stump speech, rally attendees instinctively began chanting “Ryan, Ryan,” as rally attendees are wont to do.
    Feeling left out, Romney demanded the crowd quit chanting wrong, and proceeded to demonstrate the correct way to chant at his rally.

20. September 25, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Also this:

“Romney must be asked directly: was he one of 5000 rich Americans given amnesty for using Swiss accounts to evade taxes?” (links to article about former UBS banker awarded $104 million for blowing the whistle on US investors who evaded taxes with their Swiss bank accounts):

21. September 25, 2012 at 8:29 pm

22. September 25, 2012 at 8:34 pm

23. 84 99ts
    September 25, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Thank you Chips for those amazing pictures/videos and all. I stayed up until almost 2am in my world last night listening to the UN speech – it was a world winner. Now it will take me most of my day to catch up on the rest – and I have chores and errands to run – mmm – might have to eat out this evening.

24. 85 sherijr
    September 25, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Uh oh the UN video of POTUS won’t work, it says: This video has been removed by the user. I suppose I could find it at CSPAN??

25. 90 lamh35
    September 25, 2012 at 8:49 pm

thanks for the video clips. I recorded it, but I prefer never to have to look at or hear Hasselbeck ever.

26. 93 proudmemberofglobalzero
    September 25, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Just got home from work. Was there any news on the news about the Presidents speeches in NY today? It seems we are the only ones that see them. Did any of you see your evening news?

27. September 25, 2012 at 8:50 pm

28. 95 anniebella
    September 25, 2012 at 8:54 pm

They are just not that into Mitt Romney. I was watching Ed were the crowd started shouting Ryan, Ryan, Ryan. Then Mitt had to say Romney, Ryan, Romney Ryan. So he has to tell the crowd to chant his name too. Poor pitiful rich Mitt.

29. September 25, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Ha! Halperin says, that both the President and Robney are policy Wonks, and talk clearly about their issues.
    Is he insane?

September 25, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Deep.

September 25, 2012 at 9:20 pm

32. 106 thoughtful3
    September 25, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Thanks so much for what you do! I’m so busy, I just wouldn’t be able to keep up without this site! Loved the videos of the President and First Lady on the View! :-)

33. 107 susanne
    September 25, 2012 at 9:22 pm

more stuff robmey doesn’t want you to think about:

‘ Mitt Romney and his wife, Ann, more than doubled their investment income from foreign sources in 2011 versus 2010, including some sources in tax havens around the world, according to tax returns released by the Republican presidential nominee’s campaign.
    ~
    That means the Romneys last year derived just over a quarter of their income from non-U.S. investments, such as funds and entities in Bermuda, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Ireland, and the Cayman and British Virgin Islands, the returns showed.
    ~
    While the Romneys’ tax strategies are legal, their large share of foreign-sourced income highlights the difference between their tax returns and those of average Americans.

Asked why the Romneys’ foreign income had grown, a spokeswoman for the Republican candidate declined to comment. ‘

34. 109 99ts
    September 25, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Nate Silver has the President at 79.7% for Nov 6 and if the vote was today 96.4%

35. 110 LadyTNT
    September 25, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I loved the interview of POTUS and FLOTUS on the view. Mrs. O was in a great playful mood, but I would be too if I was married to PBO :smile:
    When Elisabeth was talking about how it’s hard to ask them the tough questions because she “really” likes them, did y’all see Michelle’s face? She had that “girl please” face and then she changed it to a smile. It was super quick and you would have to be staring and grinning at the tv like a fool, like I was, LOL! But my auntie saw it too. We just laughed.

September 25, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I love our First Lady. And I want that pretty green dress. That is all.

• 112 Dakota
      September 25, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I caught that too. I love how the FLOTUS is just so real. She admits that she doesn’t have the temperment for politics. She’s a Southside of Chicago girl with no patience for the B.S. Being an East Oakland girl myself, I definitely can relate.

• September 25, 2012 at 9:53 pm

You and your aunt were not the only ones who caught “the look” on FLOTUS face. I gave her kudos actually. hhehehehe

September 25, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Guys I didn’t see the look on FLOTUS face when Ms. right wing were talking.

36. 115 Claire
    September 25, 2012 at 9:25 pm

The ignorance of some Americans is astounding. Native American is an ethnicity and just like other ethnicities Native Americans come in all colors. There are white, black, brown, red and yellow Native Americans. The same is true of Latinos. How about republican, Tom Cole —a member of the Chickasaw Nation— the only registered Native American in Congress? He’s white. I am so sick of Scott Brown saying that Warren can’t be Native American because she’s white.

• 116 Dudette
      September 25, 2012 at 9:39 pm

So true. I wish I could tweet that, Claire.

• September 25, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Exactly!

I think you’ll like this tweet, Claire!

• 120 Obama Grandmama
      September 26, 2012 at 12:46 am

I live in Grand Ronde, Oregon and live on the reservation. I am an enrolled 1/16th Grand Ronde Confederated Tribe Member. I do not look like a full blooded Native American and there are many here that even have blonde hair and blue eyes. When you get down to a lesser blood line the “look” is not as evident. I am the end of the bloodline in my tribe for my family.

When I traveled to New Zealand I found the Maori Tribe there is counted if they have any measure of blood at all. Our tribe was disbanded by the government from when I was around 8yrs old till I was in my late 30s when several tribal members worked hard to get the tribe restored. I lost many years of my Indian heritage but am learning about it now.

There are many Whites in this area that will say disparaging things about the Native Americans. I am White also and it embarasses me to hear this. I quickly set those saying negative things right and think I embarass them when they find out I am Native American. I am 15/16ths White (mostly Irish) and only 1/16th Native American. Two years ago I went to Ireland to find out my great grandfather came to the US to fight Indians for the Army. His son married a Native American. That seemed like an inner battle. LOL Scott Brown’s campaign was racist in acting like they did about Elizabeth Warren’s heritage. Her people were here first.

37. 122 sherijr
    September 25, 2012 at 9:27 pm

wow what a touching, peace making speech President Obama made at the UN.. I especially love: The people around the world have a “common heartbeat”. It was all so good… his love & desire for all the people of the world to have freedom & aspirations .. we have our own Gandhi right here, imo.

38. September 25, 2012 at 9:38 pm

39. 126 dotster3
    September 25, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Thank you for this great news! And some kooknut superpac just wasted a huge ad buy for the crazy irate teabagger which has been running at almost every station break here in Illinois.

40. 128 lamh35
    September 25, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Evening and Good Night guys.

So, I’m watching Love Actually on Cinemax, a movie BTW that I have on DVD, but I love too much not to watch when it comes on.

Is it just me or is Love Actually the movie that kinda started all these recent slew of movies where there are like 20 A-B list actors all in one ensemble piece centered around a certain holiday? I mean there was that Valentine’s Day movie, that New Year’s Eve movie… Looking back on it now, Love Actually had alot of established big “British” film/tv names and up and comers (Keira Knightley was in it, it was the movie she was doing before she did the Pirates of the Caribbean movie) and even some American established A-listers and up and comers (Elisha Cuthbert and January Jones both had bid parts in it)

I am too young to remember, but what other older movies have there been that involved all as many big named stars in it prior to Love Actually that was a rom/com and holiday themed movie, that wasn’t like a period piece or something?

September 25, 2012 at 9:43 pm

42. 130 Pamela
    September 25, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Now see, in that 17th picture down, Chips haz skewed the caption: it should read something like “PBO is looking at Pamela from Seattle”.. (don’t know how in the heck he would know me from a bar of soap, but hey, a girl can dream! Right?) :lol:”

September 25, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Oh Pamela, what nice dreams you have! :) :) But the reality is that it’s really hopefruit PBO was looking at in that pic.

• 132 cookemom
      September 25, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Hands off Pamela, see my post below. You do know that he’s whistling at me, right?

• 133 Pamela
      September 25, 2012 at 11:03 pm

I bow to both you ladies, but you see, I was born in the Bethesda Naval Hospital, where presidents go to have medical care, so please don’t be upset, it is The Way It Is! :)

September 25, 2012 at 9:46 pm

44. 136 cookemom
    September 25, 2012 at 9:48 pm

So I get back online, just checking in to lurk and catch up and lawd Chips, hubba hubba wowza chile.

“If you want me just whistle. You know how to whistle don’t you? Just put your lips together and blow.” – Mae West

45. 139 Lorraine
    September 25, 2012 at 9:52 pm

President Clinton is the man! He is on Morgan’s show handling him like the pro he is.

46. September 25, 2012 at 9:54 pm

47. 143 vitaminlover
    September 25, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Whhooooooo Lordy have mercy that man is sooooo flyyyy!

48. 145 Dudette
    September 25, 2012 at 9:58 pm

LOL!! Too funny! Apologies if this is a re-hash
    ——————-

Planning to Vote for Romney?

If you’re planning to vote for Mitt Romney in November, I can only assume the following:

You’re relieved that his campaign isn’t dictated to by fact-checkers – because facts totally confuse you.

You’re not bothered that he amassed a fortune by outsourcing US jobs – because yours wasn’t one of them.

You’re duly impressed by the fact that he’s not afraid to look you straight in the eye when he lies to you.
    You’ve traditionally voted for the candidate who owns a car elevator.

You lost a bet – big time.

You like a candidate who is willing to change his position from one minute to the next – because eventually he’ll say something you actually agree with.

You’re not a fan of the truth – never have been, never will be.

You did so well during the last economic crisis, you can’t wait to live through another one.

You hate dogs.

You’re impressed with being offered a clear choice: (a) he was lying about Bain then, or (b) he’s lying about Bain now.

You can’t help but admire someone who’s never met a man he didn’t like to fire.

You’re also a fan of America’s Favorite Pastime – dancing horse competitions.

You want to vote for a guy who can’t be attacked on his ethics – because he doesn’t have any.

You loathe big crowds, so his campaign rallies appeal to you – especially all of those empty parking spaces still available, even if you arrive an hour late.

You’re absolutely dazzled by non-specifics and vagueries.

You admire his consistency in being as equally insulting to Americans as he is to our foreign allies.

You think being called “you people” is a term of endearment.

You’ve noticed that he is white – very white.

You believe sound foreign policy starts with stashing one’s money in foreign bank accounts.

You like the notion that he can keep a secret – like the ones buried in his tax returns.

You figure that McCain declaring him to be a less viable candidate than Sarah Palin is somehow a plus.

You think there’s nothing more patriotic than a draft-dodger who didn’t acknowledge the troops in his convention speech.

[there's more... please check out the article]

September 25, 2012 at 10:11 pm

50. September 25, 2012 at 10:12 pm

#TheStench

51. 156 cookemom
    September 25, 2012 at 10:13 pm

So Ryan refers to his boss as ‘the stench’. Oh noes, I tell ya!

• September 25, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Wait, what? I’m sorry, I know I’ve been out of it for the past couple of days with my ocean-like sinuses, but what? Eddie Munster called Romney “The Stench”?!?

• September 25, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Yep …. hope you feel much better soon, LL … and …

• September 25, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Wow. Just read Roger Simon’s “Paul Ryan vs. The Stench”. It almost made me forget my sinuses. I mean, if fucking POLITICO is openly mocking both Romney and Ryan, the blossom is off the turd. I’m still not sure if the piece is snark or not — Ryan going around calling Romney “Stench” — but if it is at all accurate, wow.

On a related note, Obama HQ on Crenshaw called looking for volunteers. The great thing is that they’re open 9-9. I might head on down there on Friday when I’m off. #Repeat1936

• September 25, 2012 at 10:50 pm

I know what you’re saying, LL. Just amazing. This takes ‘going rogue’ to a whole other universe!! :)

Do take care; don’t push too hard, too quickly, but it’s cool that the Crenshaw office has that late a schedule to accommodate more working folk!!

• 161 cookemom
            September 25, 2012 at 11:10 pm

I especially like the Gilligan reference. Nothing like a power point presentation to rally the troops…..zzzzzzz

• 162 cookemom
        September 25, 2012 at 10:38 pm

According O’Donnell, appears so LL. Evidently, did a whole thing about if the stench calls, tell him I”m eating Lady Fingers with Peggy Noonan.

Now that ought to clear those sinuses. I’m sure it cleared Mitt’s.. Notice the body language on the trail today.

52. September 25, 2012 at 10:16 pm

53. 168 dotster3
    September 25, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Kent State is excited about President Obama’s visit there tomorrow

• 170 Dudette
      September 25, 2012 at 11:06 pm

The only Congressman Louie Gohmert of Texas knows about “Ottomans” is where he puts his feet when he’s falling asleep watching Fox. – Chris Mathrews
      :-) :-) :-)

September 25, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Paul Ryan has apparently taken to calling Mitt Romney “The Stench” behind his back. You heard right. THE STENCH. It is now trending on twitter. It’s not even October yet and Romney-Ryan is a clusterfuck.

55. 176 dotster3
    September 25, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Bowling Green is excited about President Obama’s visit tomorrow too

• September 25, 2012 at 10:31 pm

You are my tweetin’ inspiration Dotster! Thank you!

PS How’s Mr Dotster doing?

• 178 dotster3
        September 25, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Mr. Dotster’s fine, keeps hanging around, probably because he needs me to pour his cereal in a bowl. Are you still interested in stealing him from me? There are days when he is available, but I have to warn you he talks a lot—–so much that sometimes you’ll have to say “Shhhhhhhh. Stop talking.” :) But he will take out the garbage once a week, so there’s that. And he’s pretty cute.

• September 25, 2012 at 10:56 pm

“Are you still interested in stealing him from me? There are days when he is available”

I’m on the floor here Dotster, quite, quite literally. OF COURSE I still want him – now! :lol:

• September 26, 2012 at 1:12 am

I;m bummed. My daughter is in BG and couldn’t get tickets because she is scheduled to teach at 1:30 tomorrow (she’s a grad assistant) and the University has a policy that strictly forbids cancelling class for political events! Plus she had early classes and couldn’t line up for tickets. She only heard about this from me, didn’t see any signs on campus, but the tickets still sold out :) BG is a little bit blue – saw quite a few Obama signs around in ’08

September 25, 2012 at 10:25 pm

57. 182 Claire
    September 25, 2012 at 10:34 pm

As the POTUS ages I think he looks more and more like his grandfather does in the photo of the POTUS with him on the beach. The shape of their faces, their smiles, and their ears (of course) look so similar.

• 183 0388jojothecat
      September 25, 2012 at 10:59 pm

He does indeed look like his grandfather has he ages. When you look at the young Stanley Durham you see Barack Obama.

58. September 25, 2012 at 10:38 pm

:D :D

59. 185 anniebella
    September 25, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Didn’t the some of the media and the GOP have alot to say about POTUS not meeting with any leaders. Looking at the pictures look like he met with some world leaders to me. So Mrs. Greenspan, Chuckie Todd and the others need to shut their freaking mouth up.

• 186 closerange
      September 25, 2012 at 11:17 pm

They were probably referring to those useless sit down photo-ops. Saw Anderson Cooper, Gergen and Zakaria acting all concerned as to why PBO didn’t meet with anyone but they failed to realize that he was too smart to fall into that trap. After putting Netanyahu in his place by ignoring his ‘demands’ for a face to face meeting, he wasn’t about to give the GOP ammunition by meeting with the muslim leaders. You could just picture the fake outrage from the Romney camp.

In any case meeting with the POTUS is a privilege and is not to be taken for granted. Plus PBO is pissed with some of those countries, especially Egypt, for the way they initially handled the protests.

September 26, 2012 at 6:46 am

doserange, This is TeaNN trying to stir up trouble, trying to stir up controversy because their ratings sucks. And Zakaria used to be the one with some common sense, the one who was after the facts, not ratings, but it seem even he has change since his suspension.

September 26, 2012 at 6:57 am

I guess the View suppose to be beneath A. Cooper, and the other news shows. But if you watch the news today, it is no different than the View. All they do is have pundits up there arguing. It used to be you would look forward to the news and that’s it. Now you have to have the news anchor giving their opinion, you have to have people up there analyzing what someone said and didn’t say,what they should have said. They have there entertainment news, there gossip, so Chuck Todd, Mrs. Greenspan, Anderson Cooper, Wolf, shows are no better than the View. As a matter of fact I imagine alot more people watch the View then these news shows.

September 25, 2012 at 10:42 pm

61. 191 lamh35
    September 25, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Late night posting, looks like Wisconsin will be sending the first openly gay member to the Senate, if this video has anything to do with it!

Bonus Quote of the Day

A video has surfaced showing Wisconsin U.S. Senate candidate Tommy Thompson (R) telling a Tea Party group back in June…”who better than me, who’s already finished one of the entitlement programs, to come up with programs to do away with Medicaid and Medicare?”

Here’s the video via the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: