119 Responses to “The Road to November”

1. September 27, 2012 at 5:47 pm

The Obama campaign’s latest win-an-experience contest offers supporters a chance to meet Presidents Clinton and Obama in California.

From deputy campaign manager Julianna Smoot:

You may never get another chance like this one.

If you chip in $5 or whatever you can to build this campaign, you’ll be automatically entered to meet President Barack Obama and President Bill Clinton in California.

I know it sounds almost too good to be true. Trust me, this is happening — in fact, it’s happening next week — and you could be there.

You’ve stood with President Obama. You deserve this. There’s just one more step to take.

Enter now, and if you’re selected, not only will we fly you and a guest out to sunny California, but you’ll meet two great American presidents. This is something you’ll remember for the rest of your life … and seriously, when will an opportunity like this come up again?

2. 13 Tally
    September 27, 2012 at 5:50 pm

ok – here’s a new one, because I can’t get enough of this!

3. September 27, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Welp, I’ve been on a tech buying spree this year. Bought a new speaker system for the livingroom back in March. Then a couple of months ago bought mysefl an Asus tablet and spousal unit an iPad 2. And I just finished purchasing a new laptop. It’s powerful and the price was right. We might sell my old laptop to wifey’s best friend; her son needs a good machine at home, rather than coming over to our place to use wifey’s desktop all the time. I just helped the economy!

• 15 theo67
      September 27, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Excellent – I’ve been considering a tech purchase, too. I’m torn between the Ipad and a new laptop. I wouldn’t mind the convenience of an Ipad, but I need to be able to plug a thumb drive in to transfer data on and off. Laptop just seems more robust, too.

September 27, 2012 at 5:51 pm

This is a bit long, but a friend of mine sent it to me via email, and y’all might find it thought provoking, as I did. There are no answers in here about the situation, but she has some very good points. She reminded me of a “first principle” we had learned in a “risk management communication course” (based on psychological research about how people react to what you say and how you say it, when they’re under stress), which we had taken when we both worked for the Navy. The principle was: “People don’t care what you think until they think that you care.” Here’s her message:

Attacks on women as equals sort of led the way, then the 47 percent tape put a serious dent in the “care” thing for Romney, and increasing public awareness of the voter ID/blatant racism stuff may be the last straw.

I think of the right wing as the monster in every horror film you ever saw – you know how the monster appears to have been killed, only to startle the hero (and us) by suddenly thrusting a creepy arm in the air in one last threatening gesture before finally expiring. This election seems to me to be playing out the last gasp of a degenerate “culture” that didn’t die as it should have after the Civil War.

I think the majority of Americans see the attempts to block voters of color or some vulnerability like age for what it is, a blatant message of not caring to the max – and they are turning away from it – not caring what republicans “think” because it’s increasingly impossible for republicans to deny that they don’t care.

Yes, it’s terrible that the monster isn’t already dead, the smoldering fire isn’t already out, or whatever metaphor you like. But if reaction to this latest racism (and sexism, and just about every other ism) diminishes it to the point of its not being able to rise again except as obviously deranged fringe, then maybe this last disgusting outbreak had to happen to do that.

The amazing thing to me is that the right doesn’t seem to see this unfolding … and, of course, Romney gets more stupid every day.

• September 27, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Your friend is very perceptive. Sort of like a certain blogger who has been saying the same thing at TPV for a few months. *whistles innocently*

• 23 theo67
      September 27, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Good post. I agree – I also think that Scott Brown’s racist attack against Elizabeth Warren is only going to further articulate the horror of that Civil War society. They need to be driven back (shamefully) to their caves and be afraid to poke their heads out even a bit. Scott Brown has personified that poem about “first they came for x”. The President has been the victim of ugly racist attacks for four solid years (and in the campaign, too). The media and many in the American public made all sorts of excuses for it, and declared that it wasn’t actually racism.They implied that somehow the President was at fault.

Now that someone who “looks white” has been attacked – the reactions have been quick. It’s sad, but I think that it’s made people aware that they can be next on the list to be attacked by these moral-less people on the right. Those staffers were out in the open, on the streets, congratulating themselves. Scott Brown’s racist attack took place on national television – he felt comfortable enough to make those statements not just once, but repeatedly. And then to refuse to apologize.

The fact that the media and many in the American public are looking for convenient excuses to explain the President’s strength in this campaign speaks volumes, too. It has to be Bill Clinton. Maybe it’s just that Romney is a bad candidate. It can’t just be because the President has been doing a fantastic job, and that he deserves a second term?

Yes, that monster is definitely moving, rousing itself for one last attack. And hopefully, November 6 will be the end of it.

September 27, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Agree with everything you wrote, theo67, especially the “hopefully” part at the end. Can’t wait.

• 25 Betsy
        September 27, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Excellent post Theo67. I feel really offended that PBO isn’t being more credit since he is, in my opinion, BRILLIANT!!!

• 26 Obama Grandmama
      September 27, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Yeah! LIke when Michael Douglas is holding Glenn Close underwater in the bathtub thinks she’s dead and turns around and you see her suddenly rise up with the knife in her hand. Maybe I am remembering it wrong but that scene is in my nightmares along with the boiling the pet bunny part. We may be seeing worse things soon.

5. 28 Tally
    September 27, 2012 at 5:59 pm

ok – I have some REQUIRED VIEWING, because not only will this ****make your day AWESOME****, it’s also why The Daily Show will win another Peabody.

It’s from the PINK episode last week (she’s awesome too) – Parts 1-3 are MUST VIEW. Or watch the entire first segment of the show from the bottom link to the full episode. Please trust me. The payoff is MAGNIFIQUE!

It’s 11 minutes you will be cheering about.

pt1: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-september-19-2012/chaos-on-bulls–t-mountain

pt2: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-september-19-2012/chaos-on-bull–t-mountain—video-distractions

pt3: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-september-19-2012/chaos-on-bulls–t-mountain—the-entitlement-society

Pink performing: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-september-19-2012/pink—-blow-me-one-last-kiss-

Entire Ep: http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/wed-september-19-2012-pink

• 33 Tally
      September 27, 2012 at 6:08 pm

boo fucking hoo.

• 34 TrumpDog
      September 27, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Maybe if they spend more time trying to help Americans instead of trying to block and nitpick everything Obama does, we would all be better off.
      Good grief, they are like petulant kids that just keep complaining about ANYthing Obama does. After awhile, many of us just roll our eyes and ignore them. Their desperation is so pathetic now.

What the hell happened to JOBS JOBS JOBS?

6. 35 anniebella
    September 27, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Looking at that video, boy I am ready to cast my vote. Obama/Biden 2012

• 36 theo67
      September 27, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Yeah – that video was pretty awesome. The whole campaign has been incredible. And next week: the debates begin.

7. 37 Dudette
    September 27, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I’m bringing Nina over here, cause she’s Nina and the song fits.

She’s singing to the Mittster bcz his ass might be going to the pokey. Thanks for the tip desertflower: http://tiny.cc/rceblw
    What a fun campaign year! First the Klown Kar season, now this. Have we have had a Presidential nominee running while he was up on felony charges?

8. September 27, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Am I the last to see this? Michelle and Ellen trashing each other on Twitter :lol:

“I hear @TheEllenShow is still sore about losing our pushup contest. What would have happened if I’d tried? –mo

“The only reason I’m sore is from doing push-ups the proper way,” DeGeneres wrote back.

“What did you say? You sounded a little out of breath,” Obama replied. “And next time, it’s sit-ups. –mo.”

9. September 27, 2012 at 6:16 pm

‘Add a Half Million to That: Obama Created 453,000 More Private Sector Jobs Than Previously Thought’

10. 61 Dudette
    September 27, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Oldie but a goodie: An old bigot gives Willard what fer…

Ha ha ha! Karma like BOSS!

• 62 Melissa
      September 27, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Ouch. I had never seen this. Kinda reminds me of that batshit crazy woman in the ’08 campaign who wouldn’t shake PBO’s hand …Bigots are sad. That awkward chuckle from Romney was something though lol

11. September 27, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Howdeeee Ho O’s!!!!!!! What a wunnerful afternoon/evening this great getting up day became for TODders!! So has anyone else noticed these little T.O.D. letters on the pictures that head the threads?

My political take today is I wonder how PAyn Rand will ever get the stench off, now that Mittiful has all but ruined his political career. The scab has been ripped off of his budget plan for the world to see. He can’t hide it under mumbo jumbo voodoo speak. I’m thinking even his peers and young gun frat brothers will slowly back away from the early morning P90x sessions.

PS: Ha, ha, fooled you! I know what the TOD letters on the pics are.

12. September 27, 2012 at 6:32 pm
  13. September 27, 2012 at 6:36 pm
  14. September 27, 2012 at 6:38 pm
  15. 82 squarepeg
    September 27, 2012 at 6:40 pm
    • 83 Linda
      September 27, 2012 at 6:49 pm

LOS ANGELES — The California man behind a crudely produced anti-Islamic video that has inflamed parts of the Middle East was arrested Thursday for violating terms of his probation, authorities said.

Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, 55, has been on probation for a 2010 federal check fraud conviction that brought a 21-month prison sentence. Under terms of his probation, he was not to use computers or the Internet for five years without approval from his probation officer.

Nakoula was taken into custody Thursday, said U.S. Attorney’s spokesman Thomas Mrozek.

• 84 theo67
      September 27, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Yes, he needs to be behind bars. He is a slimy character, and has done a lot of harm.

• September 27, 2012 at 7:00 pm

I still wonder who his financial backers were. “Pastor” Terry Jones doesn’t have the brains to be behind this. I hope someone follows the money trail. Hell, he might start yapping in order to reduce his sentence.

• September 27, 2012 at 7:27 pm

I mentioned the other day that he could be in material breach if he misrepresented the content or the tenor and it does look like at least one actress has filed a lawsuit. Wonder if there are any funders who may have not known as well.

• 89 forus50
      September 27, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I think POTUS’s special emphasis at the UN on freedom of speech was in effect to counsel these new and emerging democracies that they need to work with their religious leaders to end these demonstrations that end in innocent deaths over someone using freedom of speech to mock their religion. We go down the wrong path by thinking that that is the right reaction (locking someone up etc) instead of the reaction of ignoring the idiots who try and incite violence. I realize he is locked up for probation violation but we need to be vigilant that we don’t resort to the “control the masses” tactics of a Soviet state or Hitler’s Germany.

• 90 EDP4BHO
        September 27, 2012 at 9:01 pm

For my money, he should be happy to be locked up. Wrong neighborhood, his ass would be flattened. Dead ! There is absolutely no excuse for demeaning anyone’s faith as much as there should be no excuse for reacting by force, but people are passionate about their beliefs. Respect is the ideal !! I have no pity for people who blaspheme. Just my 2 cents !

16. 91 Tally
    September 27, 2012 at 6:43 pm
  17. 98 forus50
    September 27, 2012 at 6:45 pm
  18. September 27, 2012 at 7:03 pm
      September 27, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Fantastic – thanks Christi. The guy in the video said that the requests for ballots this year have far surpassed what it was in 2008.

19. September 27, 2012 at 7:03 pm
  20. 104 ChristiMTL
    September 27, 2012 at 7:08 pm

This has to be the cutest little girl! …today in Virginia…..A strong supporter of the President haha,…

She’s too adorable….

21. 109 cookemom
    September 27, 2012 at 7:14 pm

If anyone has an extra $ to give PBO folks in congress to work with, here’s what I got from the Tammy Duckworth campaign:

“Here’s what Crain’s Chicago had to say about our race this week: it’s “turning out to be a lot closer than a lot of insiders expect.”
    We’ve said from Day 1 that this race won’t be easy. Even though Joe Walsh is one of the most extreme right-wing and inflammatory Members of Congress, he has plenty of allies who don’t want to see this swing district turn blue. That includes another Super PAC that just purchased nearly a million dollars in television ads to support Walsh. When voters hear about Joe Walsh’s record, they will vote him out of office. But we need every resource possible to make sure our message gets out. That’s where you come in – we can’t win without your help”

22. 110 Dudette
    September 27, 2012 at 7:14 pm
    September 27, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Time to borrow your grandmother’s old “Women’s Liberation” t-shirt and hit the streets! Doesn’t this guy have any “ladies” in his family who could speak to him in 2012?

24. 116 Tally
    September 27, 2012 at 7:23 pm
  25. September 27, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Compare and contrast those baby pictures. Wow. The baby PBO is holding looks soooo peaceful. On the other hand, what
    the hell kind of a vibe does Romney give off, that the wee ones are always practically hollering with fear? This is so telling. America, take
    a cue, babies don’t lie.

26. September 27, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Panetta says, he will take whatever deal possible, to avoid Defense cuts.
    Jeeze!