Oct

‘Obama for president: A second term for a serious man’

St Louis Post-Dispatch: Four years ago, in endorsing Democrat Barack Obama for president, we noted his intellect, his temperament and equanimity under pressure. He was unproven, but we found him to be presidential, in all that that word implies.

In that, we have not been disappointed. This is a serious man. And now he is a proven leader. He has earned a second term.

Mr. Obama sees an America where the common good is as important as the individual good. That is the vision on which the nation was founded. It is the vision that has seen America through its darkest days and illuminated its best days. It is the vision that underlies the president’s greatest achievement, the Affordable Care Act. Twenty years from now, it will be hard to find anyone who remembers being opposed to Obamacare.

He continues to steer the nation through the most perilous economic challenges since the Great Depression. Those who complain that unemployment remains high, or that economic growth is too slow, either do not understand the scope of the catastrophe imposed upon the nation by Wall Street and its enablers, or they are lying about it.

To expect Barack Obama to have repaired, in four years, what took 30 years to undermine, is simply absurd. He might have gotten further had he not been saddled with an opposition party, funded by plutocrats, that sneers at the word compromise. But even if Mr. Obama had had Franklin Roosevelt’s majorities, the economy would still be in peril…..

….. The question for voters is actually very simple. The nation has wrestled with it since its founding: Will this be government for the many or the few?

Choose the many. Choose Barack Obama.

Full editorial here

Thanks to @jidts07

And then there’s this guy….

344 Responses to “‘Obama for president: A second term for a serious man’”

1. 1 collegekay
    October 5, 2012 at 7:37 pm

2. 7 Proud Former White House Intern
    October 5, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Pretty much

3. 8 prettyfoot58
    October 5, 2012 at 7:41 pm

What an awesome editorial….

• October 5, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Isn’t it magnificent Prettyfoot, I can’t stop reading it over and over.

• 10 Rita
        October 5, 2012 at 7:45 pm

I can’t either! This is the best endorsement yet. Thanks so much for finding and sharing it, Chips. I’m also sharing it far and wide. This is what his supporters see in him and this is why he continues to be the right man for this job.

• 11 prettyfoot58
        October 5, 2012 at 7:48 pm

YES…things like this warm my heart…and fills my soul with JOY!

• 12 Michele
          October 5, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Hello Guys, LOD is asking if the Lastword should be every friday until the election. Can you all say yes with Joy-Ann Reid and Ari Melber.

PLEASE TWEET……

• October 5, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Is Lawrence actually hosting it tonight? I thought little Ezra Klein was hosting tonight in the special episode? I would watch it on Friday nights, but only if Lawrence is hosting it.

• 14 jackiegrumbacher
          October 5, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Agree, Pf, it’s beautiful, as if the editor is speaking for us, although I don’t agree with their criticisms of PBO.

• 15 Chi
        October 5, 2012 at 10:07 pm

This editorial endorsement brought tears to my eyes Chip…

It is absolutely magnificent indeed…

And for a very deserving President no less…

• October 5, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Hiya Chi, isn’t it just beautiful? I know there are parts of it that not everyone agrees with, but the general sentiment is wonderful, and so so true. Really loved it, so brilliantly written. Hope all’s good with you Chi?

• 17 EDP4BHO
      October 5, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I don’t care much for it as it sounds too too much like emoprogs- didn’t close Guantanomo, Afghanistan war not swift enough to end–on and on. Thanks but no thanks.

• 18 prettyfoot58
        October 5, 2012 at 8:38 pm

yea…see EDP….i have to be more thorough before i comment…like my nana would say…think before you speak….but anywho,,,,i did comment again….AFTER i read the whole thing..Oooooo weeeee…..

• 19 japa21
        October 5, 2012 at 8:42 pm

With all due resp, that is a comment I can’t agree with. I also agree the Afghanistan war is not ending swift enough. Does that mean my opinion that PBO should be re-elected is, for you, a thanks but no thanks type of thing?
        Listen, PBO needs support, even from those who disagree with him on certain aspects of his Presidency. Anybody who says he or she agrees with PBO on every little thing that has occured the last four years is, IMHO, fooling themselves. And furthermore, PBO has himself asked people to critique him and disagree with him.

If this were a true emoprog type of editorial it would be recommending that you not vote or vote third party.

• 20 EDP4BHO
          October 5, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I never agree with everything anybody says, japa. Not even my own offspring, but I still support him. The Guantanimo bay issue really gets my goat because PBO tried and he had every bit of resistance from congress. We know this. Why did not the editor of the newspaper? As for the Afghanistan war, Rev Al always says he doesn’t agree with PBO on the way it’s being handled, or even that it should be going on, yet he supports PBO. Emoprogs always move their markers where PBO is concerned. My question to anyone who disagrees with PBO’s handling of the war is “tell me how you’d handle it”. I will wait on anybody for a reasonable, doable response. PBO has asked for critique but who needs critique without alternative solutions?

• 21 japa21
            October 5, 2012 at 9:30 pm

So, if I read you right, you think Rev Al is an emoprog? I wouldn’t classify him as such. And obviously, this editorial supports PBO. I think I did a little better job of explaining my feelings about the editorial below.

• 22 EDP4BHO
              October 5, 2012 at 9:46 pm

I did not call Rev Al an emoprog, any more than I’d call myself one for not agreeing with everything PBO does/says. Atleast Rev Al will listen to a real argument about why something has not occurred. That editor never elaborated on why he was not in favor of the way PBO handled the things he differs with. If we’re going to state a case for debate, there must be rationalization for the opinion- one that is clear and factual. The editor never bothered to expound on why he/she was not pleased with the Guantanimo status.

• 23 japa21
                October 5, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Nor do they have to. An editorial is just that, a statement of opinion. And the main statement is that PBO has done a good job and deserves a second term. They don’t havce to go into an argument of why they want things done a certain way. They are not in anyway emoprogs in this editorial. In fact, they are the exact opposite. An emoprog says I didn’t get what I want from PBO so screw him. I rational supporter says I didn’t get everything I wanted, but he is still someone I can support because of what he has done.
                If the editorial was just about Afghanistan, or Guantanamo or about the banks, your argument woudl make more sense. But that wasn’t the point of the editorial.
                In fact, as I pointed out below, in terms of getting people to vote for PBO, it was about as perfect an editorial as you could want.

• 24 EDP4BHO
                  October 5, 2012 at 10:16 pm

I respect that you were pleased with the article. I was okay with parts, but I stand by my opinion, as the paper does theirs.

• October 5, 2012 at 9:40 pm

For what it’s worth EDP4BHO, I’m with Rev Al on Afghanistan, but I don’t think that makes either of us Emoprogs. You don’t have to agree with 100% of PBO’s foreign policies to support him 100%, as I do. The Afghanistan conflict is an abysmal, pointless waste of life, on all sides, but I work on the assumption America is only still there for the purpose of having a base in the region, specifically to keep an eye on Pakistan. And I understand and accept that. If that’s not what it’s about, then what’s the point in still being there, what is it achieving? Absolutely nothing.

• 26 EDP4BHO
              October 5, 2012 at 9:53 pm

As for the Afghanistan issue, I do not believe an immediate pull out would have been in the best interest of anyone, and certainly not the Afghan people. You don’t go into a country, start a war, and leave because someone decided it was not to their liking. I like that “you break it, you fix it” idea. It reminds me an awful lot of how European colonialism ripped Africa apart, and when the colonists left- they never bothered to remedy the messes they created. I believe PBO feels as I do. Try to close it in a responsible way. If we cannot understand that, then we also needn’t believe that assisting Libya was fruitful and the right thing to do.

• October 5, 2012 at 9:58 pm

No outside intervention in Afghanistan has ever worked, even dating long before the Russians gave it a try, and ended up fleeing with their tails between their legs. Why ‘superpowers’ don’t learn from history, I’ll never know. There’s no comparison with Libya, there were no American ‘boots on the ground’ there, which was the crucial thing.

• 28 cindysweatt
                  October 5, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Chips, you sound just like my husband. I understand how you feel. I am not embarrassed to admit, every time something like this comes up, and I start to think “What the heck??” I then have a feeling of composure come over me because I feel “If Barack Obama is doing this, I can trust that it must be right.” Something about this man has given me the trust that I have never felt toward a leader. I know this sounds like I am silly, but I am not. It is just the way it is with me. I also become very defensive when anyone every criticizes the President. That might be silly, but I can’t help it. So in a way, I agree with all of you here. Works for me.

• 29 anameti
                  October 6, 2012 at 1:49 am

But Chips, Obama did not start the war in Afghanistan, he inherited it. the question becomes; how does he end it responsibly? I think it would have been disastrous to just pack up and leave.

• 30 theo67
              October 5, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I’m going to dip my toe in here – although, I think everyone has moved on. I watched a program on http://www.state.gov last year – stumbled upon it, actually. They were highlighting the development work that has been going on in Afghanistan, specifically around their efforts to introduce a new agricultural industry and trade relationships with other countries, by teaching them to produce crops to replace the poppy industry (that fuels heroin production, which ultimately funds terrorism). They showed the people (at serious risk of danger from the Taliban) learning, starting to develop an industry, building knowledge about processing food, getting product to market, opening doors for trade. I was really impressed, because it showed that there are some people involved in Afghanistan who just have their heads down and are busy doing the world. It’s not easy. And the progress is slow – but there is progress. And if they can succeed here, then they can start to defund terrorism and turn the corner. And the people will have something they want to sustain, so they’ll be motivated to resist the Taliban and other extreme forces.

There’s a lot of work going on in the region – not just war. A lot of good work. And the President has said time and again that part of the national security agenda is to work on development, because if a parent can see hope for their child’s future, they will be better able to resist the “easier” path of falling under the spell of the destroyers.

Here’s a snippet of info about Afghanistan, but I’ll try and find that video clip. It was very interesting.

• 31 EDP4BHO
                October 5, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Wonderful, Theo and not just because I think it jibes with my assertion. This is a wonderful feel-good story. We are talking about subjugated people who asked not to be victims of Osama Bin Laden. If we can kill OBL, certainly we can’t just walk away and assume we’d done enough for them. War is horrible and nothing I am in favor of, but it is a real fact of life. People are victims of wars for the most ridiculous, selfish reasons and most of us don’t flinch, but when it’s our troops- no fair. Our military is well aware of the reason for their being. It is my wish that it is used for protection most of all. When 911 occurred, everyone in my workplace hung posters saying “God Bless America” and flags. I hung a sign saying “God Bless the World”.

• 32 theo67
                  October 5, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Thanks Ed. I like your “God Bless Everyone” motto. I have to admit, I sometimes get irked by the “God Bless the Good Guys” bumper stickers I see every once in a while. Both sides think they’re the good guys, otherwise, they wouldn’t risk their lives. That’s why war is rarely the answer.

• 33 veryslowwriter
                    October 6, 2012 at 12:49 am

Good point, Theo. It took me many years to realize that — everybody thinks they’re a good guy. Even the evilest dude on the planet has reasons for what he does. They’re not GOOD reasons, but they’re his reasons.
                    I support PBO completely. There are a few things that have made me shake my head but then I step back. He’s a good guy. He’s one of the very best good guys. He’s doing the best he can under the circumstances he faces.
                    At some point, I’ll find out why he did X instead of Y. Maybe I’ll agree with the choice — it’s possible I won’t.

But the bottom line is: Is he a decent (and brilliant) human being doing the best he possibly can? Right now, I say yes. I say he’s so much better than the alternative that re-election is not just important, it’s essential.

• 35 theo67
                October 5, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Found one of the videos. It’s not the main one I wanted to share, but it is pretty comprehensive in showing where your tax dollars are going. It’s a lot cheaper than war, and it goes a lot further in changing hearts and minds. It’s six minutes – and well worth watching. Americans should be proud of this.

• 36 purpleshoesla
                  October 5, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Thanks for this clip; Very informative

• 37 EDP4BHO
                  October 5, 2012 at 11:55 pm

That was awesome, Theo. Thanks so much. See if you can find any others as this is something we all should know about and educate people on. I have an aunt who needs to be talked down.

• 38 theo67
                    October 6, 2012 at 12:27 am

Thanks Ed ( and Purple Shoes). I’ll see what else I can find. I often go on State.gov – there’s a ton of stuff going on around the world that is making the US look very good, but no-one knows about it. I subscribe to their twitter accounts in various regions, and also the Energy department for their twitter messages, too. Those are the two I really care about. But they are all on twitter, and often send interesting tidbits. They just don’t get much attention.

4. 39 Kris
    October 5, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Bringing it over from the last post. I’m not sure if you all have seen this yet. I hope it goes viral:

5. 41 dudette9t9
    October 5, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Way to go St. Louis Post-Dispatch!!

6. 42 dudette9t9
    October 5, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Bring this over from the end of the previous post

Today a statue of Fannie Lou Hamer was unveiled in Ruleville, Mississippi. The presentation drew hundreds. The statue was dedicated one day before what would’ve been Ms. Hamer’s 95th birthday.

How precious is your right to vote? Watch this story and let Ms. Hamer show you!

• 43 daiseymay1
      October 5, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Dudette, thank you for posting this. Such a strong reminder that our vote is sacred and that many have given their life for it.

• 44 otter44
      October 5, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Thank you Dudette for sharing this with us. Fanny Lou possessed courage, grace and grit. We owe her legacy to remember that we must always use our right to vote, it is our civic voice.

7. 45 vitaminlover
    October 5, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Not only has he earned a second term, we have earned the privilege of getting to have him as our President for 4 more years. I love my President–yes I do!!!!

8. October 5, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Fantastic editorial from St. Louis Post-Dispatch. They nailed it. Thanks for this Chips. Love it mucho.

October 5, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I don’t agree with everything in the article and with their characterization of certain events but I do agree with their overall premise: “Choose The Many. Choose Barack Obama.”

October 5, 2012 at 8:01 pm

These days, it’s difficult to find any “positive” article about PBO that is not punctuated with some damn underhanded criticism or caveat.

#pissed

• 53 prettyfoot58
        October 5, 2012 at 8:25 pm

yea….true…i did not read it all the way thru….hard to believe that he would get that kind of criticism from a newspaper in St Louis…they felt that he should have nationalized the banks?…wow…

it is a back handed endorsement….

starts off pretty good…..ends with a flourish…but it is the middle that delivers the uppercut….

however this is the “money” statement ….

Choose the many. Choose Barack Obama

• 54 japa21
          October 5, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Again, here is where I disagree. If you are already an avid PBO supporter, do you really care who a newspaper endorses? Of course not, you are going to give him your vote anyway. But if you are a middle of the road independent and may not agree with everything the President has done, or may be concerned he is too much of a leftist, wouldn’t this editorial actually ease those concerns?
          And if you do fall on the left side and think maybe he hasn’t done enough, doesn’t this make you have second thoughts about not giving him your vote?
          This is a perfect editorial.

There is too often a criticism here of those on the left that don’t get their ponies and whine about it.

Hate to say this, but that happens here too. If somebody is positive toward the President over all but doesn’t give him unconditional praise, it is like that person didn’t give us our pony.

We can’t throw out the baby with the bathwater and by dismissing things like this, or minimizing it, that is exactly waht we are doing.

• 55 prettyfoot58
            October 5, 2012 at 9:15 pm

I did not think that i was dismissing the editorial but i did lose my warm and fuzzy feeling as i read the whole editorial. I do not know much about this newspaper other than it is in St Louis, MO but i was rather surprised to read that they advocated privatizing the banks..mercy!…however as i said the “money” statement is the endorsement…and i will take that!

• 56 japa21
              October 5, 2012 at 9:19 pm

pf58, I am sorry if you think I was going after you, which is understandable since it was a reply to your comment. It was more in reaction to some of the other comments, like “Thanks, but no thanks” etc. which dismissed it outright.

October 5, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Me too….

• 60 Left-Indie
        October 6, 2012 at 9:39 am

Japa, there was a nail somewhere and you swung a hammer on it just right. Truthfully, like Ed alluded to, it drives me crazy when libs mention Guantanamo without mentioning how even the Dems in congress blocked him. That said, finding this editorial anything but great is quite unreasonable IMO.

10. 61 Bobfr (@Our4thEstate)
    October 5, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Thank you, Chips. That is a substantive endorsement. Very powerful!!

Still no action from Twitter.

I will give it a few more hours and then create another account. The 3800+ followers I had, I certainly don’t expect to be bothered with having to figure out it’s the same old Our4thEstate, but you folk will know it’s me. As you also know, I only started tweeting to try to contribute to our President’s re-election and recovering a majority of Democrats in the House while sustaining, if not expanding, Democrats in the Senate. It is one thing I can do because it fits into my work patterns since I’m almost always online because of the work I do. After 6 Nov, no clear if I’ll be anywhere near as active because by mid-Nov, what we’ve been building for the past 2.5 years is going to launch and what little bits of ‘free’ time I’ve had are going to become fewer, for sure.

Meetings for the next several hours. Will check back late tonight, PDT.

#PRESSON

• 62 Rita
      October 5, 2012 at 8:17 pm

oh, no! That’s why I’ve not been seeing you on twitter :( I hope twitter gets back and reinstates you!!

• 63 99ts
      October 5, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I keep wondering if “He who wants to be President & she ho thinks it is our turn” have complained about you repeating what she said about he. Romney is exactly the type of person who would nitpick at that level

Then again, maybe I’ve heard too many RWNJs lately and see paranoia where there is a simple solution.

Great to hear that the business is doing well – imagine that – with a democrat President and all.

• 64 amk for obama
      October 5, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Best wishes for your launch, Bob. Here is to it reaching the stratosphere. I am sure you did a great job with it, just like everything else.

• 65 Bobfr (@Our4thEstate)
      October 6, 2012 at 1:47 am

So far nothing from Twitter. Will check in the am and decide what to do.

#FORWARD

11. 66 auntsis522
    October 5, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Well guess who wants to speak at event for the Miami Dade Democratic Party? Ed effeing Shultz. Well, I just blasted the event coordinator. OMG. We are gluttons for punishment!! She says he wanted to come and help!!! UGGGGGGG!!!

October 5, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• 68 yardarm756
      October 5, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Ed on right now with his ‘Sunshine Pump’ and Obama pom-pon’s.

• 69 EDP4BHO
      October 5, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I decided to watch him. He always tries to come back to sanity before he thinks anybody noticed he f’ed up…LOL. Waiting for LeVar Burton to come on about PBS. Ed played a nice “tribute” to all the RWNJ’s lamenting that PBO said he would bring down the UE rate, accusatory, but the kicker was showing Boehner crying.

12. October 5, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Thank you, Chips!! This is AWESOME.

We’re now rolling into the fun newspaper endorsement season!

• October 5, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Wasn’t that a beaut Meta? If there are 100,000 more I can’t imagine any would be as powerful or eloquent.

• October 5, 2012 at 8:11 pm

It’s SOOOOO gratifying to see the support for POTUS build considering the epic battles he’s had to wage on our behalf. Today feels like the sky opened up for us.

13. 74 JER
    October 5, 2012 at 8:04 pm
  14. 77 dudette9t9
    October 5, 2012 at 8:04 pm
  15. October 5, 2012 at 8:09 pm
  16. 83 nospin
    October 5, 2012 at 8:13 pm
    October 5, 2012 at 8:15 pm
      October 5, 2012 at 8:17 pm

UT Ezra Klein is hosting tonight unfortunately. And the invited panel sucks. Sam Stein of HP, Maggie of Politico, Jonathan Capehart, etc.

I’m really curious as to what’s going to be discussed on that show tonight. I don’t want another Chris Hayes type show disguised as “The Last Word.”

• October 5, 2012 at 8:19 pm

People should tweet Lawrence back and say it matters who hosts no matter which day of the week.

October 5, 2012 at 8:23 pm

To me this is bait and switch. A lot of folks on Twitter are excited but not aware that Lawrence himself won’t be present.

• October 5, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I don’t watch the show but the whole thing seems odd if he never broadcasts on Fridays and then suddenly there’s a show and he’s not even on it.

• 89 prettyfoot58
              October 5, 2012 at 8:34 pm

what is that all about…but look at it this way..better that jive prison stuff….Ooooooooooo weeeeeeeee

October 5, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Some on Twitter are speculating that Ezra is going to talk about the Jobs #s to set the GOP conspiracy theorists straight, but I’m thinking,
              Even before the job numbers came out, the ADP had released a very positive report of increases. Poll after poll showed that more people were feeling better and hopeful about the economy. The stock market is doing well. Housing has started up again. The numbers for August were actually the best in the last four years for the month of August. Everything pretty much pointed to a decent report at minimum today.

It’s not like the jobs numbers came out of the blue. Why have a panel for a full hr on Friday night just to entertain some conspiracy theorist?

• 91 prettyfoot58
                October 5, 2012 at 9:19 pm

maybe they are rolling out a test run for a new show …starring Ezra Klein

• 94 Obama Grandmama
                October 5, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I’m seeing on Rachel that FOX is saying the numbers are contrived. Someone who owns a very large manufacturing company made some snide comment about The Chicago Thugs figured out how to change the numbers to elect their guy. My words!
                Also Rachel showed the video of Mitt taking something out of his pocket we’ve been seeing. it was a handkerchief in Romney’s pocket that went onto the lecturn not crib notes. He used it to wipe his nose during the debate. There was a picture of him doing that. It is easy to think he would cheat when he lies so easily. I know I thought so but wanted to see him pick up the papers at the end like was being said. Never saw that video. Besides he was staring at Obama with those slit watering eyes all the time. Guess it is like the kid who cries wolf.

• October 5, 2012 at 9:26 pm
                  • 96 nospin
                    October 6, 2012 at 8:20 am

It was not a handkerchief. I don’t care what they say. I also wouldn’t be surprised if they give him an ear piece the next time.

In the larger scope of things, will it matter? No.

Bottom line is, the man has no core, no moral compass, lies instinctively and you can’t put anything past him. He would be dangerous in the White House.

Obama/Biden 2012

• 97 EDP4BHO
                  October 5, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Yes, it was a handkerchief. This is what happens with conspiracy theories, and for once I have to agree with Rachel (she is such a know-it-all). Romney has enough lies and faults we can credibly convict him of- no need to get overly creative, right?

• 98 theo67
                  October 5, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I’m not convinced. When they wrapped up the debate, Romney ran away from his family to scoop up some paper or something from his lectern, and I remember thinking – how strange that he’s clearing up his lectern himself, when he came out empty handed. And leaving his family to celebrate on their own. He was very rushed about it. I just remember thinking it was very strange. In any case – the guy is not fit to be President.

• 99 Rita
                    October 6, 2012 at 2:11 am

I saw the same thing and felt the same way, theo. I also agree that we need to be focusing on the lies Romney is saying, but it just proves to me what a cheat he is in every aspect. Sad that he has to resort to schoolboy methods. Palin had her hands, but this guy went even further. Sheer desperation.

• 100 enekra
                October 6, 2012 at 2:48 am

Was going to wait until I could read all of the tweets I missed today, but had to reply since you guys are talking about this here. I too, was disappointed that Lawrence himself was not hosting the show tonight. BUT…I have learned to value Ezra. The clip he had about the so-called “healthcare” plan that Romney says he plans to put in place, really hit the spot for me. I do not know how to tweet the video so that my followers can see it and retweet it. Any help from TODers in that regard would be great. Thanks.

October 6, 2012 at 12:42 am

I just did, meta.

• October 5, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Ezra, Stein and Maggie ….. :roll:

• 105 Lorraine
      October 5, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Yes!!! Some sweet soul tweet my YES to LO

18. October 5, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I’ve mentioned before that I generally steer clear of conspiracy theories, but I draw the line when it comes to plutocrats trying to assert control over government.

Today on twitter, someone (I can’t recall who) mentioned that it’s a small step from imagining that govt. job numbers are cooked to believing the election results are rigged (regardless of the outcome).

Steve Forbes agrees with Jack Welch:

Here’s the plutocracy we’re up against:
    “ninety-three per cent of the gains during the 2009-10 recovery went to the top one per cent of earners”

“6 WalMart heirs are worth more than 100 million Americans!”

Let’s take back our country from the plutocrats and return it to the middle class.

• 107 prettyfoot58
      October 5, 2012 at 8:28 pm

it is the RWs way of undermining confidence in not only the numbers but the organization that compiles them

19. 108 collegekay
    October 5, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Anyone canvassing tomorrow? I’ll be Hampton Virginia for an all day canvass. I hope they feed us :D

20. October 5, 2012 at 8:20 pm
  21. 114 vitaminlover
    October 5, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Say, Willard….Did I see you go KERSPLAT?

October 5, 2012 at 8:28 pm
  23. October 5, 2012 at 8:29 pm

The GOP’s tune for the day:

• 118 Roberta in MN
      October 5, 2012 at 9:15 pm

OOOOOH that was awesome Chips. thank you. I saw him in person (dating myself):) I really enjoyed his music. And that was a perfect song for the whiners in the RWNJ world. Good Editorial from St. Louis, read the whole thing, I hace to agree with UT, there were some things they stated that were just factually inaccurate, but I think most people have short memories.(Except TODer’s of course.) :)

24. October 5, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Frustration of the week:
    You can count on ONE hand those in the media who have noted that R-money “won” this week’s debate by being a #LyingBully.

Looking forward to next week:
    Go #Bulldog Joe! Don’t let #LyingRyan get away with anything!

• 123 dudette9t9
      October 5, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Yep! One freakin’ hand. Sad statement about our political media these days.

• 124 prettyfoot58
      October 5, 2012 at 8:43 pm

this article from the Grio is insighful

What if Obama had debated as aggressively as Romney/James Braxton Peterson

In the immediate run-up to the debate, right-wing bloggers in concert with Fox News “revealed” a 2007 Obama campaign speech delivered at Hampton University that, according to them, reflected the president’s penchant for angry, racially divisive politics. It’s not hard to imagine that the president’s strategists saw this as a red herring. It may be difficult for many to consider that a lowbrow distraction designed by Tucker Carlson could affect the president’s debate strategy, but once we consider the demographics of the undecided, the sad capacity for some to drink the Fox flavored Kool Aid, and the facts of the post-debate news coverage, maybe the president’s restrained performance on Wednesday night makes a little more sense.

25. October 5, 2012 at 8:42 pm
  26. 126 dudette9t9
    October 5, 2012 at 8:43 pm
  27. 128 99ts
    October 5, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Some light relief from polls
    12 silly ways to predict the election

“…eight indicators favoring Obama, one favoring Romney, and three with no clear favorite. Take that, Nate Silver.”

28. October 5, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I just canNOT believe that fucking craven deceitful abhorrent entitled shameless ASSHOLE willard might LIE HIS WAY INTO THE PRESIDENCY. IT CAN’T HAPPEN. WE CANNOT LET IT HAPPEN.

October 5, 2012 at 8:59 pm

The debate didn’t inflict any damage. Post debate poll still shows Pres. Obama leading and he gained 8 points with independents. Plus the unemployment numbers is what everyone’s talking about now. 8.1% to 7.8% is a huge psychological boost to voters in terms of optimism. Headlines have been blasting the “7″ number and that means a lot.

October 6, 2012 at 12:12 am

Actually I agree that most Democrats didn’t feed into the MSM frenzy.

However I see MSNBC still trying their hardest to keep that debate narrative going. And I predict they will continue to beat that horse through the weekend on the Chris Hayes, and MHP shows to see how much damage they can inflict. And their focus on the unemployment figure is less about the psychological boost to voters and how it will help PBO, and more on the Jack Welch conspiracy theory, which in my opinion is nothing but a side show.

Having said that, I am confident that their attempts to use the debate to bring down PBO will fail.

• 133 theo67
        October 6, 2012 at 1:07 am

I think they all operate with a single brain. Not able to ask themselves why President Obama would have endured four years of the ever-present and well-debunked lie told by Republicans that “he promised that unemployment wouldn’t go past 8% if we passed the stimulus”, if he was the kind of person to fudge the jobs numbers. Why would he do that? Why would President Obama work so hard if changing the unemployment rate was as easy as just changing the numbers? They’re so offensive.

• 134 EricFive
          October 6, 2012 at 2:06 am

Did anyone really expect a different response from these people? They have a seige mentality. In their warped view of the world, the opposition party is ALWAYS wrong. They know this conspiracy theory is bogus. Just like they know that there are no death panels, and that PBO was born in the USA. The leaders of the party spread and promote this nonsense to stoke anti-government fervor and kkkeep the racist base (that votes against their own economic interests) riled up and ready to be manipulated by the plutocrats that run the GOP. These people are in panic mode because they feel the ground shifting beneath their feet. All the hate, anger and racism they have been exhibiting is the product of FEAR.

30. 135 Obama Grandmama
    October 5, 2012 at 8:59 pm

I finally came up with a saying for a toddler shirt about Big Bird. How ’bout KEEP YOUR MITTS OFF MY BIG BIRD It could be with a photo of Big Bird but if they have the photo trademarked so you can’t use it the saying could be on a bright yellow shirt. That is my suggestion to my son. Any other suggestions or anyone like mine?

31. October 5, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I’m not seeing much evidence of ‘damage’.

32. 139 lisalovesobama
    October 5, 2012 at 9:04 pm

The Cow is debunking the idea that Willard cheated at the debate.

October 5, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Rachel is using a strawman argument to detract from the disturbing fact that Romney told some whopping LIES during the debate.

There are always conspiracy theories floating around during election time. Very few people cared whether or not Romney used notes or had a hanky. But most people do care about the number and seriousness of the lies he told at that debate. And that’s what she should have focused on.

• 141 EricFive
        October 6, 2012 at 2:15 am

I swear I never understood why this supposed “cheat sheet” is being made into such a big deal. I was never on the debate team, so maybe I am mistaken, but isn’t it considered “cheating” to blatantly lie during a debate? If truth is not required in a debate, then the debate is little more than a lying contest. If Mitt had a cheat sheet but gave an honest spirited debate, I would be fine. Not having a cheat sheet but lying like he did, I have a serious problem with.

• 142 nospin
      October 6, 2012 at 8:29 am

he cheated. but it doesn’t matter. He was going to lie anyway so it was moot.

33. 143 lisalovesobama
    October 5, 2012 at 9:06 pm

she’s saying that PBO lost in the first debate and saying Willard cheated obviously serves a purpose for democrats.

• 144 99ts
      October 5, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Only the right are allowed conspiracy theories – Mitt doesn’t cheat but the Obama administration can change the labor figures. Everyone will be watching Mitt so closely next time around he will need 3 handkerchiefs to wipe the sweat dripping from his face – and he’ll have no cheat sheet for the foreign issues debate.

• 145 Obama Grandmama
      October 5, 2012 at 9:33 pm

There were some holes in the cheating crib note theory anyhow. I heard he went back to the podium to retrieve the notes and handed them to his son but never saw a video of that. Mitt did wipe his face twice during the debates and didn’t appear to dig for anything in his clothes. Also he was staring at PBO almost the entire time PBO was speaking so I do think the cheating theory has holes in it. Besides Mitt doesn’t need notes to lie. He does that all the time.

• 146 99ts
        October 5, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I saw the end video (but can’t find it on youtube at the minute). Romney went back and retrieved notes from the lectern – tried to put them in his coat pocket & eventually gave them to his son. They may have been things he wrote during the debate – or not. What was weird was that he wanted to retrieve them – Mitt has serious paranoia about letting anyone see anything he might have done/said/written/recorded. He’s looking like Nixon II to me.

• 147 Chi
          October 6, 2012 at 7:07 am

Here it is…

It loads slowly so be patient. It also plays a bit of the debate first… but keep n eye on Romney as he dashes back to the podium, picks up notes, folds them and nervously tries to hide them with his left hand behind his back after failing to stuff them into his pocket and before his one son takes it from him and slickly puts it in his pocket…

They were all acting very suspiciously…

Very…

October 5, 2012 at 9:55 pm

The thing is, no one from the Obama campaign or administration, or no Democratic politician or anyone of gravitas in the DEM party accused Romney of cheating during the debates. So for Rachel to spend an entire segment trying to prove that Romney didn’t cheat is a distraction in my opinion.

Jack Welch on the other hand is a prominent Repub and former CEO of a very well known company. And he accused the Obama administration of fudging the jobs report – for which he has absolutely ZERO evidence, and something that he has never accused any government of doing in the past.

So for Rachel to pretend that these two scenarios are comparable is just preposterous in my opinion.

• 151 Mae who love our CIC
        October 6, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I watched C-Span. And he did go back to the podium to retrieve a lengthwise paper(s).

• 152 elo4obama/biden
      October 5, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Yeh, I caught her first minute, then change to on demand to watch the scandal episodes. She was really doubling down on the PBO “lost” the debate. Maybe she’ll broadcast a retraction later like her adament denial that President Obama was working on ending DADT almost from day one of taking office.

I guess I’ll have to start rationing msnbc night viewing early. I thought I’d hang in ( was even watching more tweety) until after the election, but these weak kneed reactionary ‘experts” are already gettin on my nerves with their simple analysis of the president and what he does or does not do to their liking.

• 153 Smoothscotch
        October 5, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Hi, keep your sanity, Ed a little, Rev Al, and Lawrence, and Bashir. The rest can pound sand. Bunch a hot air.

34. October 5, 2012 at 9:07 pm
  35. October 5, 2012 at 9:15 pm
  36. October 5, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Yeah! Hello!

37. October 5, 2012 at 9:21 pm
  38. 162 kathryn kivett
    October 5, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Watching Rachel now…watched MJ this morning….hmmmmmm….me thinks there was a preplaned smear of jobs #’s…with Joe Scarborough participating….I thought it was so strange that just a few minutes after #’s released he read Jack Welch’s tweet and went on one of his rampages…..went to work, have been reading and listening tonight…hmmmm…Jack Welch, Forbes…Friends Of Rmoney?…1%…..not accusing…. just sayin..;^)

39. 163 dudette9t9
    October 5, 2012 at 9:23 pm

In the ongoing effort to get President Obama a #DemMajority to work with him in Congress, I call to your attention
    Mr. Pat Kreitlow, the Democrat running for Congress in the Wisconsin 7th against Republican incumbent Sean Duffy, who’s really gotta go
    Pat’s website: http://kreitlowforcongress.com/
    Twitter: @PatKreitlow (how he ended up following me, I couldn’t say, but I’m truly flattered)

Pat is a scrappy, former news anchor and state legislator who’s behind in fundraising, as seen here:

But as we’ve seen all across the country, he’s got a good chance of taking the seat.
    Internal poll here from Oct 1 has them in a dead heat

Duffy (like the typical Republican punk he is) has been ducking Pat’s challenges to debate for 3 wks.

Let’s give Pat some support, shall we?

————–
    Here’s an interview with Pat:

40. October 5, 2012 at 9:29 pm
  41. October 5, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Kerry Washington on Bill maher show, straighten Him out…

42. 173 lisalovesobama
    October 5, 2012 at 9:38 pm

get ready for The Cow’s lovefest for Ted Olson.

43. October 5, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Ok friends, going into lurk mode for the weekend. Busy day at work tomorrow; and Sunday I’m working my library’s booth at a local fair. Pop in here and there, but I really need to chillax. Good thing is that I’m not feeling quite as exhausted today as I have for the past 2 weeks. Hopefully this coming week I’ll be able to do a phonebank or two.

• October 5, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Take care LL, hope you have a great weekend – and I hope Norwich do too. Although, I should confess: I appointed Torres captain of my Fantasy Football team today :???:

October 5, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Have a wonderful weekend LL and get some rest. We will miss you! Hope to see you back on Monday. :)

October 5, 2012 at 9:45 pm

GM folks. That ad in the last thread nails the fucker’s yet another lie. Do mitt and the thugs even think about the fact that the rest of the world and their leaders are watching their 24×7 lying garbage live ?

Any polls out post-debate, especially rethugs pushed ones?

• 180 amk for obama
        October 5, 2012 at 9:51 pm

GM chips.

LOL. From a nice glass of fresh milk on day one to here’s your damned about-to-expire carton of milk on day three ?

wimmin/smh

• October 5, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Jeez, you’re so fussy about your milk. Get pumping, mister:

• 182 amk for obama
            October 5, 2012 at 9:58 pm

LOL. I have actually done that when I was young.

• October 5, 2012 at 10:00 pm

That’s scary. I bet the animal had exactly the same expression as in that pic. It brings a whole new meaning to ‘poor cow’.

• 184 amk for obama
                October 5, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Our family traditionally has had 5 to 6 cows so that we can provide freshly made tea for our company staff twice everyday. So one morning while I was watching the milkman do the milking, my dad said ‘do you wanna try it?’ and I said ‘sure’. So as I was about sit on that small stool, the milkman says to me ‘wait’ and then whips out a small rope and ties the hind legs of the beast and smiles at me and says to me ‘ now, you’re safe’.

yeah, I bet that cow had that expression when I did the milking. :)

• 188 dudette9t9
            October 5, 2012 at 10:25 pm

LOL!!! :-D

October 5, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Three repug polls (Rassmussen, WeAskAmerica and Gravis) showing a supposed bump for Romney by 2-3 pts each, but Obama still with a good lead. I believe those bumps will disappear shortly. But it would appear that MSNBC is actively trying to keep the “Romney-wins-the debate” in the news cycle for as long as humanly possible to try to drag down the President’s numbers.

Now they’re having a Friday night special of the “Last Word” but hosted by Ezra Klein with a whole bunch of usless pundits on the panels. Lawrence himself is MIA.

• October 5, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Gallup – Gallup! – had PBO up one on Romney today, 50-45, but I don’t know if that poll was taken before or after the debate.

• 194 amk for obama
        October 5, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Thanks hf. They show a bump of 2 to 3 points or a lead of 2 to 3 points ? If it is former, it’s somewhat believable, but if it is later, it’s utter bs.

• 198 collegekay
        October 5, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Nate says the bump in polls for Money could be due to increased GOP enthusiasm — they’re more likely to participate in the survey.

The excellent jobs news should reverse any ground gained by Money.

• 199 Jeff
          October 5, 2012 at 11:46 pm

That’s mostly likely the reasoning. I doubt that a poor debate performance could make the difference as some imagine it will.

• 200 EricFive
          October 6, 2012 at 2:26 am

The Reuters poll after the debate backs this premise up. In it the only group that increased its support of Mitt were republicans. Independents were turned off by Mitt and flocked to PBO (I think by 8-9 points). The MSM is pushing this bs of Mitt demolishing PBO in the debate and the facts just don’t bear that out. Mitt gave a decent performance, but his act only swayed his base (and MSNBC pundits).

• 201 Obama Grandmama
        October 5, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I watched Ezra Klein and the information he gave on how the unemployment numbers are gathered was excellent. It made it very clear on how it is next to impossible to mess with the numbers. That does not mean they won’t be adjusted later up or down as each month is further down the road.

October 5, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Ezra Klein could have been invited to any of the MSNBC shows all day today and tomorow to talk about the unemployment report. He has written columns as well. He didn’t need to have a separate show in which he and his guests spent more than enough time falsely bashing the President as having a “dismal” debate performance AND saying that the debates are more important than the EU report.

That’s the issue I’m having with this MSNBC set up.

• 203 Jeff
            October 5, 2012 at 11:49 pm

he said that? What is he talking about? Debates are almost meaningless when it comes to be who the next president will be. Most historians openly ridicule the concept of the debates actually determining the winner presidentially, even when it comes to close races.

October 6, 2012 at 12:02 am

It boggles the mind, doesn’t it. On one hand Klein spends all this time making a big deal explaining the BLS jobs report, and on the other hand has his friend Sam Stein from HuffnPuff say that the jobs numbers are relatively unimportant in the grand scheme of things. So why even waste our time talking about labor statistics when they don’t matter?!

• 205 theo67
                October 6, 2012 at 12:56 am

The first presidential debate was in 1960, but there have been presidents in this country since 1781. Stupid statement from Sam Stein.

• 206 EricFive
                October 6, 2012 at 2:31 am

They were waiting for the debate to turn of PBO. They had to tough it out when Mitt was self destructing, but knew that the debate would provide them with an opening to attack PBO. They would have panned PBO no matter what happened on that stage. This is why they are still hyping the importance of the debate and how bad PBO was. These people are NOT OUR FRIENDS. They have an agenda, just like they had an agenda prior to the 2010 midterms. This is not about horseraces, it is about (corporate) power.

• 207 EDP4BHO
          October 5, 2012 at 11:22 pm

“That does not mean they won’t be adjusted later up or down as each month is further down the road.”

By that time, the election will be over, thus the reason for the panic. Clap Clap !!

45. October 5, 2012 at 9:45 pm
  46. October 5, 2012 at 9:48 pm
  47. October 5, 2012 at 9:49 pm

** Cough **

Link to MSNBC, in case anyone’s not near their TV and wants to tune in to the, hmmm, Ezra show at 10.0 ET

48. October 5, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Chicago Bear running back Matt Forté along with Jacksonville Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew and Indianapolis Colts safety Antoine Bethea urge voters to “get off the sidelines” and vote for President Barack Obama in a video released on Friday. It’s part of a massive voter registration and early voting drive by the Obama campaign.

This is cool!

49. 222 lisalovesobama
    October 5, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Sam Stein says the debate is probably more significant than the eu. WHAT??!!!!! :roll: if that we’re true, the eu number wouldn’t have wiped Willard off the front pages. {{SMH}}

October 5, 2012 at 10:18 pm

What did I tell y’all on the last thread? I said that MSNBC has an agenda with this show. Once I saw who the panel was, I realized this was nothing more than an underhanded way of pushing the “Romney BEATS Obama” debate meme to keep it in the news cycle for as long as possible, because MSNBC is AFRAID that the jobs report would overshadow their nice little PBO DOOMED narrative…

Chris Hayes will be back tomorrow with that same bullshit, and so will MHP..

• 224 Obama Grandmama
        October 5, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Ezra Klein had a very complete description of how the Bureau of Statistics works and how it is impossible to interfere with it. It was worth knowing the info so it can be explained to those that go for the conspiracy theory.

October 5, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Honestly grandmama, and quite respectfully, at this stage of the game, people who believe in CT about the jobs numbers will never vote for Obama and are just as stubbornly delusional as the birthers.

Secondly if I have to listen to an entire hour of scattered pundit drivel about how “poorly” Obama did in the debates, and why the debates are even more important than the jobs report, just to hear Ezra Klein give information about BLS that I can obtain for myself, then that show is not worth watching.

• 226 theo67
      October 6, 2012 at 12:41 am

So, the election was all about jobs until jobs improved, and now the election is all about theatrical performance? That has got to be the stupidest thing that Sam Stein has ever said. Isn’t the election all about trying to get the job to improve the jobs/economy and run the world? And now, the goals aren’t as important as the selection process? Ridiculous.

50. 230 sabreen60
    October 5, 2012 at 10:14 pm

I tweeted Rachel (as did others-lots of others) to call her out on continuously calling a liar the “winner”. What message is this sending children. Lie your ass off and it doesn’t matter because you’ll be called a winner. It’s disgusting.

October 5, 2012 at 10:20 pm

It’s not just Rachel; The entire MSNBC network (except Rev Al, Lawrence, and Martin) have been pushing this meme, and right now it’s being pushed on that Ezra Klein hour at MSNBC.

• 232 EDP4BHO
      October 5, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Amazing that Klein started with that same thing- PBO’s “dismal” debate. It’s on everyone’s lips, you’d think no one saw it but them. If they feel he lost, why is it so necessary to drive that home- over and over again. I cannot stand these people. What I will be thankful for is for when PBO has done his last year and can figuratively tell these clowns to kiss his ass.

• 233 EDP4BHO
        October 5, 2012 at 10:28 pm

And I will add that this skinny kid with the funny name, from Hawaii and Indonesia and Chicago has shaken up the political world and has made everyone who thought they were worthy of attention, bonkers. Quite amazing phenomenon. It will take years of study to understand the mechanics of it all. In fact, there should be a course in the study of “How Barack Hussein Obama Made People Lose Their Fucking Minds”.

• 234 Smoothscotch
          October 5, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Who THOUGHT they were WORTHY of attention. Exactly. They are not worth the time of day, small potatoes. Thank goodness for TOD and Admiral Chips, more worthy information, smart, cogent, decent people here and others on line. Nobody telling you what you see and hear is incorrect, but listen to me citizenry, I, the pundit knows it all.

October 5, 2012 at 10:30 pm

They KNOW he didn’t lose, but they feel that they are losing the narrative that they tried to set on Wednesday night and this “special” is an emergency attempt to revive it. They are afraid that the good jobs report is erasing the debate from people’s minds. That was the purpose of this show. To end the weekend by pushing this narrative about PBO losing the debate, the jobs numbers being fudged (AKA birtherism), etc

Meanwhile, no discussion of how BAD Mitt Romney is as a candidate. They are simply trying to give Romney a pass to help his numbers. The less time the media spends discussing Romney relative to other people and other things, the better he does in the polls, and they know it.

• 236 sabreen60
          October 5, 2012 at 10:47 pm

You know if Rachel et al qualified their statement, e.g. “in my opinion, Romney performed better” – if that’s what they think. But by saying that he “won” gives him credibility where he deserves NONE. I’ve read many people who listened instead of watched say in their opinion, President Obama was the clear winner – that Romney sounded manic. Rachel and most others gave fodder to the rightwing. Of course, this is not the first time they have done this.

October 5, 2012 at 10:48 pm

“Rachel and most others gave fodder to the rightwing”

And they did that knowingly.

• 238 EricFive
            October 6, 2012 at 2:41 am

Anyone who saw their reaction immediately after the debate could tell it was staged. They were just too “dramatic” in their displays of disgust with PBO. They are pushing a meme. They would have panned PBO no matter what he did. Debate performance is a subjective matter, and they knew the debate would give them an opening to attack PBO. These people are not our allies. They have bosses. And these bosses want Mitt to be president.

• 239 amk for obama
      October 5, 2012 at 10:24 pm

egg.sack.lee. blustery aggro seems to give the american msm a hard-on.

• 240 theo67
      October 6, 2012 at 12:42 am

They are raising a generation of neanderthal kids who won’t be welcome anywhere in the world, and they’ll be too ignorant and uneducated to figure out why.

October 5, 2012 at 10:26 pm

MSNBC is also pushing that jobs conspiracy thing with the same intense focus they treated the birthers issue. The more time spent focusing on these side shows means the less time focusing on the SERIOUS issues of the Republicans and Republican candidates. The media ignored the GOP obstructionism in congress in favor of hrs and hrs discussing birthers and birtherism. Now they are doing the same nonsense with this stupid tweet because it keeps them from focusing on Mitt Romney’s egregious lies.

• October 5, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Next thing you know, Robney is going to say he saw Sasquatch and he has proof.
      These outlandish distractions is for the Reality Show Fans.
      The President even called him on it Today, Dancing with the Stars, he said!

52. 243 dudette9t9
    October 5, 2012 at 10:29 pm
  53. 247 dudette9t9
    October 5, 2012 at 10:37 pm
  54. October 5, 2012 at 10:42 pm

It’s a Ron Paul’s supporter’s ad – :roll: – but it’s good.

55. 249 lisalovesobama
    October 5, 2012 at 10:54 pm

I’m sick of know nothing’s running their mouths about things they know nothing about re: talking heads muttering about PBO– gonna try to block it out till thursday. No political shows for the next 5 days. Gonna watch Joe kick ass on Thursday night. Then tune in again for the next debate between WillardGish and PBO.

October 5, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Kerry Washington was fucking fantastic on Real Time with Bill Maher. She’s so bloody brilliant and politics wise, she is a dynamo. She is a wonderful surrogate for Pres. Obama. She knows the issues like the back of her hand. She held her own on a panel with the two assholes Will Cain and Mark Foley and a sometimes emoproggy Bill Maher.

Will Cain, an overprivileged white asshole who has benefited so much from this country – white males have benefitted so much – looked Kerry Washington in the eye and implied that affirmative action makes African-Americans lazy and so it should be wiped out because we have a Black president and racism is dead. What ignorant moron utters such crap? Kerry Washington looked him dead in the eye, didn’t raise her voice but tore him a new one. The audience response was fantastic.

57. October 5, 2012 at 11:13 pm

last segment of LOD tonight is worth watching. speaker was JONATHAN GRUBER who worked with romney on the mass health care. points
    to the fact that it would not have happened with out federal guaranteed monies. its not up yet on msnbc site. But, in essence he states that
    no way would it work for each state. I’ll watch for it to post. very interesting.

• 255 HZ
      October 6, 2012 at 1:11 am

Goodnight Chips and my TOD family. It has been a joyful day to give words into our individual spaces as well as our collective spaces. Thanks for sharing here today. Chips, all joyfulness of thanksgiving to you, my special one.

Now, let us remember that we still have one month to bring all of our hard and beautiful work to a victorious closure for our brilliant president and VP. Another term as POTUS and VPOTUS.

Let us also remember that the space that is constantly surrounding all of us, as we move throughout “our spaces” will present: negative words to depress us; actions and deeds to cause confusion within our group; agitated minds of vile and ugly thoughts to muddy the wells; and a constant daily cable chatter of “silly and lying times to anger us.

However, we will walk on through it all with an abundance of prayerful hearts, meditative good thoughts; steady and strong footwear, so not to tire our feet out; voices of noise that will badger our peaceful eardrums, and lies and more lies of trying to make POB look “little and non-productive” as our president.

But we will bring our minds to what is pure in thoughts, what is truthful,, what is peaceful, what is gentle in spirit, and what will move our minds to that of unity of spirit to do what is right and good.

Why? Because POB is counting on this type of army to be with him. He wants and needs a strong and faithful team with him. He is not in for the silly and drama productions.

He wants to help those young college students get into school and be successful.
      He wants our military to finish the task that he and his team has set forth and bring them home.
      He wants to feed those little children who only have the possibility of one meal per day.
      He wants to keep our financial institutions doing the right thing by all citizens.
      He wants to sign that Dream Act Bill to allow even more to have a level playing field.
      He wants to keep our seniors from going back into a hole of hell just to get a prescription.
      He wants to put his bill forward to pass, so that families can save their homes.
      He wants to balance our budget fairly.
      He wants to not have the middle-class to foot the bill for the richest Americans to get anothertax relief unfairly.
      He wants to build our roads and bridges to serve us better and safer.
      He wants to be number one in education again.
      He wants to make sure that we have a great EPA, another great Supreme Court Justice nominated and confirmed;
      Great judges on the federal bench; more things built in USA; more men and women taking available training for the jobs that are Now waiting for them.
      He wants to make America number one for decades on the World’s Stage again.
      He wants to continue to keep us safe.
      He wants to bring our government departments up to par for the 21st century.
      And on and on.
      Who is best to do this? We have him already, and we need to do All that we can to keep him. That chair is filled and that job is being done like no other president, in my lifetime has done it.

Now get some rest tomorrow. Do whatever you have committed to do for POB tomorrow, and pamper yourselves a little, so your space will stay stable and goodness can visit there and not feel unwanted. Ok?

((((((((((((((((( I am so thankful for each of you, and especially to our beautiful Chips)))))))))))))HZ

58. 256 Obama Grandmama
    October 5, 2012 at 11:19 pm

I watched The Last Word tonight and found it very helpful in explaining how the Bureau of Statistics works and how it would be next to impossible to mess with the data.

• 257 Obama Grandmama
      October 5, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Sometimes giving something the benefit of the doubt is useful. I almost didn’t watch it due to the comments on the blog. I also thought the person talking about Romney’s healthcare program and how much $ they got from the Federal Government to help with getting their program funded and how no other states would be able to do that under Romney was enlightening.

• 258 EDP4BHO
        October 5, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Agreed !!

October 5, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Again with all due respect grandmama, I think you missed the point I’ve been making with respect to this show. Of course there were some informative segments and I’m not denying that. But as I have observed (and so have others who have written about MSNBC’s profit model), MSNBC is largely a conservative network pushing the Republican agenda, but has adopted a model where they have shows that seem to appeal more to liberals/Democrats because there is a market and demand among liberal viewers that is not satisfied elsewhere in the cable TV media.

This “Last Word” show could have been just a 30-min segment focusing on the jobs report with some time devoted to of the Romney healthcare info if they felt it hadn’t been adequately covered before. Or, Klein himself could have appeared on other MSNBC shows earlier today or tomorrow morning to talk about the BLS reports. But there was absolutely no need for an additional segment on President Obama’s so-called “dismal” debate performance – seeing that ALL the daytime MSNBC shows, AND most of the evening shows have had endless discussions on this . In other words, I shouldn’t have to sit through 30 mins of shitty anti-Obama propaganda that is demoralizing and discouraging for me to get some useful information about the BLS and how it works. That is very typical of these MSNBC shows and it’s the main objection I have to these kinds of programming.

• 260 auntsis522
          October 6, 2012 at 10:00 am

here,here! I know I am late to this party but I totally agree. Its just amazing to me that we are willing to give the god-awful media the benefit of the doubt, but the President – lets throw him under the bus for not saying what we want him to say. It is just a matter of time for the Ezra person will flip. I have seen him be wishy washy so many times before and I will not watch ‘the last word’ with him. PERIOD.

October 5, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Remember when we were told that we had to support a certain President because it was “patriotic and American?”…… just sayin’

60. 262 dudette9t9
    October 5, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Crooks and Liars picked up the story about the Mexican restaurant owner that didn’t want Rmoney to use their place as a campaign stop:

Bob, did the OFA arrangement that you made with them work out?

October 5, 2012 at 11:42 pm

I don’t know how to grab this picture…. http://www.democraticunderground.com/101764468

October 5, 2012 at 11:45 pm

WASHINGTON — American officials confirmed Turkish news reports on Friday that two Tunisian men had been detained in Turkey in connection with the killing of Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three other Americans in the attack on a United States diplomatic post in Libya on Sept. 11.

But the officials said they were awaiting more information from the Turkish authorities, and it remained unclear whether the two were considered to be suspects or witnesses in the violent attack in Benghazi, which fell on the 11th anniversary of the 2001 terrorist attacks.

Kanal D, a private Turkish television network, said the two were stopped at Ataturk Airport in Istanbul on Wednesday as they tried to enter the country using false passports.

Another report, in Sabah, a Turkish newspaper, said that immigration officials had matched the names of the men, who were said to be in their mid-30s, to a list of possible suspects that American intelligence agencies had given to security services in the region.

• 266 yardarm756
      October 6, 2012 at 12:39 am

Let the Turks interrogate them. We can pick up the pieces afterward. They will be glad to leave hen the Turks finish.

• 267 HZ
        October 6, 2012 at 1:37 am

DF and yardanm756, I still believe in my spirit that POTUS was a little subdued and occupied night before last because of some news that he had just received on these said above issues.

Remember hearing that one of our main departments had just landed in the area the day before because of an important lead. This was a very painful situation for POTUS and SOS and SOD, and POB will not let up or have peace within his soul until the killers are brought to justice. You could read it all in his face as he and SOS spoke that day while they were receiving the bodies.

We will keep our prayers and thoughts during our meditation and quiet times focused on these precious families and each security member within each department who is working on this situation.

That is why I have zero tolerance for petty segments of the likes that have been presented lately on news channels.

Memories of so many in the MSM are so short and uneven in thoughts of the important things that are going on in the Oval Office to keep all who are serving us here and abroad. That is why comments of “lazy, not smart, etc., crap gets me going in a direction that I try so hard not to go. And that is I why I try to encourage and lift our family up here because there are so many out there who do not want POB to succeed and surely do not want him to have those of us who try so hard to have his back. So we keep to faithfully supporting POB with our prayers, meditations, goodness of thoughts, and good and decent actions. HZ

October 6, 2012 at 6:06 am

I can’t buy that HZ, remember this is the man who went to the WHCD and joked about Trump as the operation to get bin Laden was going on. I don’t see how people seem to think the President did such a lousy job in that debate, he didn’t.

October 6, 2012 at 9:29 am

I tend to agree with you anniebella. Did you see the contrast between his debate style and the high energy on the stump speeches the very next day? He purposely laid back in the debate and the MSM lapped it up and folks fell for the MSM’s interpretation.

• October 6, 2012 at 9:45 am

HZ – I fully agree. He was uncharacteristically subdued. I suspect we will eventually find out why. He appeared to be not completely “there.” Physically, yes. But as if part of his mind was on something else.

October 5, 2012 at 11:48 pm

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW????????????

• 272 susanne
      October 6, 2012 at 1:28 am

another perfect romneyism for the ages!!

one of the pundits on lawrence last night said, it looked like robmey had a lobotomy, because he speaks two different stories with no apparent internal dissonance. seems to me we should now call him ‘ robotomy’.

October 6, 2012 at 12:47 am

Abu Hamza among five terror suspects extradited to US

Five terror suspects, including the radical cleric Abu Hamza al-Masri, have flown out of the UK on a jet bound for the United States.

Officers from Scotland Yard’s extradition unit handed the men to US marshals at RAF Mildenhall in Suffolk.

A police convoy brought the suspects from Long Lartin prison in Worcestershire to Suffolk at 19:15 BST.

High Court judges earlier dismissed the men’s final appeal against extradition to the US to face terror charges

///

Abu Hamza faces 11 charges in the US relating to hostage taking, conspiracy to establish a militant training camp and calling for holy war in Afghanistan.

Once he lands he is set to appear in front of a judge within 24 hours in an open hearing.

///

He is expected to be held at the Metropolitan Correction Centre in New York in an area reserved for high-profile prisoners.

A pre-trial hearing is likely to take place within about three weeks. The actual trial, which should take place in a public courtroom, could take between one and three years.

///

The BBC understands a US Department of Justice-owned Gulfstream jet had been on the tarmac at the base since Tuesday, having flown in from Washington.

October 6, 2012 at 12:51 am

A US border guard killed on a patrol to stop illegal immigrants from Mexico earlier this week may have been inadvertently shot by one of his own colleagues, the FBI says.

The shooting near Naco, Arizona, on Tuesday left Agent Nicholas Ivie dead and another wounded.

///

Initial reports suggested that the agents had been ambushed as they responded to an alarm triggered by a ground sensor in the area.

The FBI gave few details other than to say it was investigating whether the death had come as a result of “friendly fire”.

66. 275 AnitaW
    October 6, 2012 at 1:38 am

Phone-banking tomorrow to battleground states and then on Sunday off to see President Obama, Mayor Castro, Katy Perry, Stevie Wonder, Jennifer Hudson, EarthWindFire, Bon Jovi and if that wasn’t enough George Clooney. I will try to get good pictures.

67. 277 FoxfireTX
    October 6, 2012 at 1:53 am

In Wisconsin Obama/Romney 2 pts closer than it was on the first night of our last poll there— PublicPolicyPolling (@ppppolls) October 5, 2012

Despite perception that he got creamed in the debate Obama only running about 1 pt worse than he did on the 1st night of our last VA poll— PublicPolicyPolling (@ppppolls) October 5, 2012

• 278 Bobfr (@Our4thEstate)
      October 6, 2012 at 2:14 am

Just want you to know the folk at OFA_CO had some treats earlier today. Will leave it at that.

#FORWARD

• 279 Bill R.
        October 6, 2012 at 2:35 am

Treats, meaning some good news??

• 280 Bobfr (@Our4thEstate)
          October 6, 2012 at 2:40 am

Sent them a ‘care package’ inspired by Foxfire so they’d have some nutrition during the afternoon/evening shift :)

October 6, 2012 at 3:48 am

You are an angel:) That was so kind of you to do. You may never know the answer to that question. Just the fact that you did it….speaks volumes to your generosity and thoughtfulness. You are a good Dr, to be sure!

October 6, 2012 at 4:04 am

Spot on.

Republicans who hope for bad economic numbers love America like a mom with Munchausen Syndrome by proxy loves her kid.
    — @morninggloria via web

October 6, 2012 at 4:17 am
    • 287 sabreen60
      October 6, 2012 at 10:01 am

GM TOD – afternoon & night to others.

Amk, the thing that gets me is the media knows that many of know exactly what they are and they don’t give a shit.

70. 288 carla4obama
    October 6, 2012 at 4:21 am

Hello anyone else that is still up. I can’t sleep, and since Wednesday I have had headaches. I have been reading everything about the “debate”, my thought..hell why even have a campaign when all one needs is a WIN in a debate. Forget what this President has done and is trying to do for us. Forget all his hard work, countless hours of trying (with little help from not only the “other” side but supposedly from the side that has a D in front of it.) I am truly amazed. The president disappoints the D pundits/media on a debate and you would of thought he was caught selling crack cocaine to babies. The liberal media is a myth. When the likes of Ed, Chris, Rachel explode about the debate, not because of the lies and bullying done by Romney….but because they felt our guy was not confrontational and looked too passive…well…I am done with them. Where is all the energy into reporting the lies and sudden policy shifts of Mittens? Where is that outrage? How does someone debate a pathologic liar who is being the bully that he has always been? The same bully that chased a classmate down and cut his hair? That person is whom they should be examining.

What do we tell our kids about bullies that they must deal with in school? Don’t sink to their level, know who you are and your character will be able to see the bully as to who they really are. Bullies are un-evolved humans, who still play the game the way 3-5 year olds do. Their methods: Tantrums, screaming louder than you, trying to intimidate and shut the other person down, or trying to get them into a pissing match. I don’t know what was going on in our Presidents head that night, no one does, but I do know he is a fully evolved human being who sees things much differently from most of us. He told us long ago he wasn’t going to play those childish games that have been going on in Washington.

So America, what lessons do we want to teach our children? Lying is okay if it gets you to your goal? Being a bully is a sign of strength? Having respect for rules (that you agreed to) …well its okay to ignore the rules if it does not serve your purpose? Rules are for the other guy. This election is so much more than just policy, it’s about our moral fiber and what type of leader will reflect our moral character. The character of these two men was on display; lets have a national debate on what lessons in character we witnessed that night.

We watched a “debate” and some now want to just throw away the ACA, the end of DADT, the slow but steady recovery of our nation from the brink of disaster, a women’s right to choose, a humans right to love whoever they fall in love with, and so much more that this president has fought for. Throw it all away because he didn’t make you feel warm and tingly on one night. I am disappointed not so much by the repugs, but by so called liberals who a the first sign of a “perceived” weakness they jump and do all they can to reinforce that “perceived” weakness. Some on this site too. We pump ourselves up, stating we have our Presidents back, and when he needs us we let go and throw rocks. The narrative could have been transformed into something different…if we had his back. We do not deserve this man. I have that picture of our VP hugging that 15 year old boy….that picture for me should be the narrative of this election. That 15 year- old’s voice will be silenced if we fail to re-elect our President. His only hope, and the only hope for people without money or power, is the re-election of our President. That is what we are fighting for. Someone said D’s have grown a spine? They maybe we should use it and stand up with our President.

• 289 susanne
      October 6, 2012 at 4:57 am

carla, i think you wrote out your feelings and frustrations beautifully–i think many of us have had similar rants building inside our heads these past couple of days! you’re so right that our president is carrying on with dignity and purpose and heart, in spite of all the flack raining down on him every minute of every day. i only feel better about this when i realize how many wonderful folks–like the ones who congregate here–are working hard just as he is, for just the things he’s working for. and after work, rest. i hope you’ll sleep deeply and wake up tomorrow knowing it’s a fresh start for us all.

• October 6, 2012 at 8:03 am

Carla, this is beautifully and powerfully stated. We were not let down by our president, we were let down by our fellow Democrats and the media. PBO literally carries the weight of the world on his shoulders and jittery Democrats went out of control because a manic carnival barker kept spouting make believe. We have to take new resolve from this and work harder than ever because you know our president will be doing that. We cannot let him down again.

• 292 dee
      October 6, 2012 at 10:22 am

Carla,
      I have been talking with others about a few of your well said points. As my daughter said last night, Mitt was like a puppy, not in control of actions and too hyped up. I love your point about him breaking the agreed upon rules of behavior for the forum. That is what bothered me more than the lies. If he can’t control himself, instead of overtalking the moderator as if he had the “priviledge” to do so, because of his station in life, how is he going to behave on the world (stay away from the nuclear weapon)?

October 6, 2012 at 4:32 am

Yeah, way to go Supremes. http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/10/canadian-foreign-donation-super-pac-restore-our-future We need to get CU overturned so that foreign entities can not hold influence over our democracy and our elections!!!! Biggest damn fail ever!

October 6, 2012 at 4:43 am

This Rev Al segment with joan walsh and ej dione is good. dione was doing well blasting mittbot until Rev interrupted him.

October 6, 2012 at 5:35 am

photo/1

October 6, 2012 at 5:39 am
    October 6, 2012 at 6:10 am
    October 6, 2012 at 6:13 am
  77. 302 anniebella
    October 6, 2012 at 6:19 am

Do POTUS have any campaign events today?

October 6, 2012 at 7:03 am
    October 6, 2012 at 7:22 am
    October 6, 2012 at 7:30 am

Excellent question.

81. 308 Melanie
    October 6, 2012 at 7:30 am

PBS has posted a letter entitled “Obama’s Early Impression of Chicago” which was written to his friend Phil back in 1985. For those who have read his writings before it shows the same thoughtful, intelligent, earnest, caring young man that he seemingly always has been and continues to be.

• 309 sabreen60
      October 6, 2012 at 10:06 am

If you haven’t read “The Bridge” please do so. There are parts of great letters by the President in the book. I was amazed at his writing ability when he was such a young man. Very impressive.

• October 6, 2012 at 8:04 am

Many more Democrats to trash Pres.Obama? I’ve noticed that MSM invites more of them on TV when he stumbles or had a bad day/week, etc.

October 6, 2012 at 9:37 am

I agree. And it’s up to these Democrats to stop taking the GOP media’s bait and stay on message with what PBO has done.

• 313 99ts
      October 6, 2012 at 9:43 am

I see Gingrich is there – he needs to be called out big time for his racist comments about the President. That a serial adulterer – who temporarily shut down the Clinton government – “to stop spending”, then had ethics violations against him – and eventually left congress when the GOP turned on him – is given a platform by the media is disgusting. That the GOP seem to forget all the damage he has done to the country is unforgivable. His so called religion is an insult to religion.

October 6, 2012 at 7:42 am
    • 315 99ts
      October 6, 2012 at 7:57 am

No-one else wants to support him. Old fools.

October 6, 2012 at 8:08 am

Why does the media gives these people the time of day? Welch admits he had no proof of anything, but yet he was given time to spew his lies.

• October 6, 2012 at 9:09 am

The media is doing this to avoid focusing on Mitt Romney. The more these side shows are in the news cycles, the better Romney does in the polls. I’ve noticed this since the GOP primaries.

83. October 6, 2012 at 8:05 am
  84. October 6, 2012 at 8:18 am
    • 320 Margie James
      October 6, 2012 at 8:43 am

The stock market went crazy, and that’s all they have to say? Obama got the last word in the debate with 7.8 UE #. Action speaks louder than words, but ruperts rag says meh.

October 6, 2012 at 8:43 am

bill mahr (when he is not acting like an emoprog)

• 323 99ts
      October 6, 2012 at 9:26 am

These wonderful “business men” who know all about running the economy – when the economy starts to go down – who are the FIRST people to add to the disaster – all those investors who take their money out of the stock market. They panic. They are chicken in the extreme. They don’t invest in companies – they simply put their money where they think it will grow – and at the slightest sign of a problem – they take their money out.

Warren Buffet put money in companies when the likes of Romney were pulling out – he is now reaping his reward for having faith in his country and investing at home.

I like Bill Maher most of the time – probably because he has no patience with stupid, nor with religious insanity. He does at times let rip when he thinks the President could have done better – and just has to remember – no-one can be perfect all of the time – PBO gets there more often than anyone else.

• 324 dotster3
      October 6, 2012 at 9:36 am

Agree with Maher. In addition to reading about improving economic indicators, I see the same kind of encouraging signs everywhere with my very own eyes also——every mall and restaurant and motel packed, new stores opening in empty spaces in malls, new sold signs in front of homes for sale, including in my neighborhood, long list of jobs again in classifieds etc.—–people in my family—-new promotions, new raises, everyone happy about the stock mkt. The economic situation is improving, and I agree PBO could be more vociferous in making this case.

86. October 6, 2012 at 9:04 am

Toni Morrison, interview

We sat beneath an enormous chandelier and talked among other things, about the things that define her work, the history of African Americans, slavery, and she shared her insights into contemporary American society, including thoughts on President Obama, a man she admires.

When I asked her whether she thought the election of Barack Obama as the country’s first African American President was more than just symbolic, she was keen to comment on the ways in which he is vilified by the right.

It was a sobering moment in the interview when she reflected on President Obama’s deceased mother and grandmother, both of whom were white. “I wonder what it would have been like if he had won the presidency and his mother, from Kansas and his grandmother, from Kansas, those two white people, were alive and living in the White House, or visiting. You know, I wonder what the language would be. Now what would you say?”

There is something regal about Toni Morrison, now in her 80s, she displays a very quiet and still wisdom, acquired from years of reflecting on the world she grew up in, as a child in the 1930s, whose grandparents had been slaves, and who has lived to see an African American in the White House.

October 6, 2012 at 9:33 am
    October 6, 2012 at 9:34 am
    October 6, 2012 at 9:40 am

New web ad!

October 6, 2012 at 9:50 am
    October 6, 2012 at 10:10 am

Woot, woot. Chips, FP news

photo/1

92. 333 Don
    October 6, 2012 at 10:11 am

The farther we get away from the debate, the more it seems that President Obama pulled a fast one. The Jobs numbers were a tip-off, for if Romney did as well as everyone claims; well then the Jobs numbers should not have had all the Romney kool-aid drinkers up in arms.

93. 336 Bill R.