Oct

‏@NoShock

Today:

EDT

11:0: The President departs the White House

PDT

1:20: Arrives Los Angeles

2:0: Attends a campaign event at a private residence (closed press)

6:05: Delivers remarks at the Nokia Theater, Los Angeles (pooled for television)

9:15: Delivers remarks at the Ritz-Carlton, LA (print pool coverage)

A woman in the audience holds a handwritten sign reading “Still Voting for Obama, See No Reason to Change” at a campaign rally with Mitt Romney in Apopka, Florida, October 6 (Reuters)

@JeffersonObama / @Jeremy10036

Yes, you read right: They have Mitt Romney winning the African American vote in Colorado 58-40. :lol:

Tumblr: “Steven wanted to let the world know he supports President Obama — so he painted a 20-foot logo on his roof that you can see from the planes taking off from the San Francisco airport.”

OFA

‏@BigBirdRomney

Tumblr

ABC (Saturday): The President and First Lady are celebrating a delayed 20th wedding anniversary today. Dining in Georgetown this evening, the first couple is commemorating the occasion at the urban chic Bourbon Steak restaurant, located in the Four Seasons hotel.

@ChefSobel

@skunkt

Morning everyone ;-)

240 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 Grab a Mop Grace
    October 7, 2012 at 8:14 am

Happy Sunday all,

2. 10 Martha
    October 7, 2012 at 8:14 am

GM is it nov 6 yet

3. 12 Eveingeorgia
    October 7, 2012 at 8:14 am

Hello?

4. 13 Michele
    October 7, 2012 at 8:17 am

Let’s focus and follow Michelle Obama’s direction as per the DNC convention…. Please go back and listening to her words from the convention….

October 7, 2012 at 8:21 am

GM Chips, GM folks.

October 7, 2012 at 8:22 am

Bringing over from last thread.

• 26 Don
      October 7, 2012 at 8:28 am

Debate, what debate? The only thing I remember from last week was the Jobs numbers and the 180 million raised by the Obama campaign in September. Now I’m not doubting that there was a debate, but I just don’t remember it.

7. October 7, 2012 at 8:29 am

G’morning Chips, TOD, lurkers, etc. Congratulations Grab a Mop on # 1 :)

8. October 7, 2012 at 8:32 am

Good morning, TODville!!

9. October 7, 2012 at 8:35 am

The last fundraiser is this week in Florida, and I am glad to hear it.
    Good morning!

October 7, 2012 at 8:38 am

he Curiosity rover is preparing to scoop its first sample of Martian soil.

The vehicle, which landed on the Red Planet in August, has driven up to a pile of sandy material that mission scientists have dubbed “Rocknest”.

This weekend, the robot will dig into the ground with its clamshell-shaped trowel, with the aim first of cleaning the mechanism of earthly contamination.

Later, it will repeat the task and deliver an aspirin-sized measure of sand to onboard labs for analysis.

Nasa engineers have cautioned that the whole process will be long and drawn out. The machinery involved is complex and the team says it needs time to learn how best to operate it.

Curiosity, also known as the Mars Science Laboratory (MSL), will very likely be stationary at Rocknest for a couple of weeks while the scoop tests are carried out.

11. October 7, 2012 at 8:42 am
    October 7, 2012 at 8:42 am
  13. 56 Ladyhawke
    October 7, 2012 at 8:49 am

Romney is Rooting Against the Economy and Depressed Over Improving Numbers

By: Sarah Jones

—————————————–

Once they landed in Virginia, Romney attacked Obama on jobs in spite of the improving jobs numbers, including attacking Obama over jobs in the coal industry, which have in fact grown to their best numbers in 15 years under Obama.

Even the AP pointed out that the reaction leaves the Romney camp open to accusations that Obama’s economic plan is working and Romney is rooting against the economy. “The report gave Obama fresh evidence to argue that his economic policies are working. It also gave the president an opportunity to suggest that Romney is rooting against the economic recovery.”

——————————————-

October 7, 2012 at 8:59 am

It’s not just Romney rooting against any recovery, it’s the entire Republican Party. That is why they did everything to sabotage this economy.

14. October 7, 2012 at 8:54 am

Good morning all – it’s a great day.

15. 62 criquet
    October 7, 2012 at 8:58 am

GM all.

Please hold in your arsenal for use when the corrupt media and RWNJ trolls descend after the foreign policy debate. Dems on Twitter are thinking ahead and arming the PBO army.

Forward

October 7, 2012 at 9:10 am

That’s a good idea. We must be prepared to immediately challenge Romney’s lies on Twitter and elsewhere going forward. And we will call out any MSM pundiots who tweet, blog or appear on cable TV to declare Mitt the winner and challenge them on their propaganda. We will not allow the media to use the debates to bamboozle the electorate and swiftboat our President.

• 64 dotster3
        October 7, 2012 at 9:24 am

I think the hysterical post-debate reaction at msnbc strongly influenced the Mitt Win narrative. The rt. wing was prepared for that conclusion in any case, but msnbc going wild like it did in condemning Obama helped spread that determination throughout the MSM.

October 7, 2012 at 9:37 am

MSNBC has been leading the charge in the anti-Obama narrative since Wednesday. I was not particularly impressed with their little Friday night special edition of the “Last Word” which was nothing more than an opportunity to push the “debate” narrative and dilute the jobs reports. They wasted no time bringing Sam Stein (huffnpuff) on to tell viewers that the debates mattered more than the unemployment numbers (Chris Hayes had said the same thing earlier that day) – right before or after Klein went into detail explaining the BLS jobs statistics.

• October 7, 2012 at 11:58 am

Love this strategy of being prepped up, thinking ahead with what coul unfold as opposed to after debate should haves!

16. October 7, 2012 at 9:01 am

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Barack Obama volunteer Marilynn Wadden rang more than a dozen doorbells in her first hour canvassing a tidy neighborhood here before stopping to take stock of her progress. Only a handful of voters were home, and, of them, only one agreed to have a ballot mailed to him so he can vote early. Two people said they supported the president but preferred to vote on Election Day. And another said he would back Mitt Romney.

“I wouldn’t do this for pay. It’d be too discouraging,” Wadden, a 70-year-old retired principal, said. She added that she works to re-elect the president “because in my heart I know how important this is.”

If the race is close here and elsewhere, the outcome may come down to how well Obama volunteers like Wadden do their jobs – compelling everyone they can to go to the polls, especially those who are leaning Obama’s way, but not a sure thing.

National and state polls taken before the first debate show Obama with a comfortable lead over Romney among Americans who are registered to vote. But the surveys also show Obama is locked in a tight race with the Republican among likely voters, a disparity that underscores the importance that turnout efforts will play in determining who wins the White House.

The latest Associated Press-GfK poll, for instance, found Obama with a commanding lead, favored by 52 percent of Americans to just 37 percent for Romney. Yet among those most likely to vote, the race was statistically tied, with Obama supported by 47 percent of likely voters and Romney by 46 percent. In Florida, a recent Washington Post poll showed the president ahead by 9 percentage points among all registered voters but up by just 4 percentage points among likely voters.

17. 69 criquet
    October 7, 2012 at 9:01 am

Reputable Selzer Poll in Colorado -poll done 4th-6th Oct 2012:

October 7, 2012 at 9:02 am

Before saber rattling over Iran, think about high costs of war.

Speaking to a men’s breakfast club in downtown Fort Worth last week, I was challenged by one person to name some “positive things” that the president has done during his four years in office.

Without hesitation, I began by saying, “He ended America’s involvement in the Iraq war. If he didn’t do anything else — and, of course, he did — that is an amazing accomplishment considering the great costs.”

That same group over the years had chided me for my resistance to that war, which was one I said should never have been waged and one I labeled a “quagmire” within months after it began.

The more I think about the costs, in lives and dollars, of the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts, I become all the more irritated when I hear the saber-rattling by politicians and pundits on the issue of Iran or intervention in other countries. It’s almost as though they are ready for another war.

Please, let’s not go there.

19. October 7, 2012 at 9:04 am

I loved this article in a senior living magazine from Canada – our fantastic neighbors to the North want Americans to respect our wonderful President — if you have not seen this article it’s a good read..

• October 7, 2012 at 9:25 am

I wholeheartedly agree with this part of the article:

“In President Obama, Americans have the real deal, the whole package and a leader that citizens of almost every country around the world look to with great envy.”

I and many people I know from my country… we do envy America over this President and we’re not ashamed to admit that :lol: He is the ONLY reason and probably the only time I/we ever will lol Once he finishes his 2nd term.. It’s very likely we will never participate in such forums or be this interested in American politics again.

• October 7, 2012 at 9:30 am

Oh, NZ – I hope this forum will continue to follow PBO and all of his endeavors after he leaves office in 2016 :-) We won’t be able to handle the withdrawal!

• October 7, 2012 at 9:43 am

blondegrrl, that would be so cool if there was a continuation of the forum after PBO’s 2nd term – with stories and photos of projects he takes up and countries he visits with his family (they deserve a loooooooong break!). I would love if PBO came here to NZ.. I’d camp out at the airport :lol:

20. October 7, 2012 at 9:05 am

This week Sunday Show, is shilling for Robney…
    My God!
    No talk about the Jobs numbers, just crap about the debate. I wonder, if when Hillary runs in 2016, if George Snufflopagas will still be shilling for the GOP?

October 7, 2012 at 9:13 am

HAHA…let the carnival barkers have their day in the sun. Like as I said, the scripted, one-side 90 min debate on Wednesday night was Romney’s grand finale. Our President will have his grand finale a little after midnight on Nov 6, when he gives his victory speech.

• 80 criquet
      October 7, 2012 at 9:19 am

ThDems on these shows should be showcasing ALL the ROMNEY LIES in the debate and this:

• 81 57andFemale
      October 7, 2012 at 9:24 am

I admit to some despair when the local progressive radio station was Blast the Debate on Saturday. Republicans would have the good sense to stop talking about it, particularly since good job numbers and UE should be replacing any debate talk out of alleged ‘progressive’ mouths.

I had thought maybe we’d learned. There was such a substantive pushback on twitter and we were re-writing the meme: Mitt’s lies and stunning lack of trustworthiness should have helped turn things around. But no — Dem’s have to keep the bad meme alive. I heard a whiner on Dick Kay’s show in Chicago,even after Dick pointed out the great things PBO had said on the campaign trail Thursday and Friday, moan that it didn’t make any difference because 67M people saw PBO blow it. “Why didn’t he say those things when he had an audience?”, while taking precious time IN FRONT OF A RADIO AUDIENCE, to keep the bad meme alive. Despicable. I had predicted that by mid-week we’d right this ship; but due to our own pundits keeping it alive it’s going to take longer. I cannot believe it, I really can’t. We have a month. We do NOT have time to undo their hand-wringing while they help Mitt, like they helped Republicans in 2010.

Now don’t flame me, please. I needed to blow off some steam. I know we’ll right this ship. I just get so damned mad when our alleged allies do so much damage.

• 82 kathryn kivett
        October 7, 2012 at 10:02 am

Oh, I so agree….I’m so tired of being PO…I am beginning to feel the 2010 rumble again…it’s almost as if they are trying to WIPE out the “War on Women”, the 47% fiasco, the LIES, and on and on and on….I got up this morning thinking that at least TODAY we will move on towards positives…but NOOOOOOO…gotta keep it goinnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!….talk it to death….My list of betraying pundits is growing so long that the only thing I will have left to watch on tv is Sesame Street, until of course, they destroy that too.

• October 7, 2012 at 10:16 am

aka The Sunday Obama Barbecues

October 7, 2012 at 9:06 am

photo/1

22. October 7, 2012 at 9:16 am

Hey, folks. Just a heads up. You may recall my wife’s stunning photomosaic of President Obama, the one that appeared in Time magazine. Tomorrow she is unveiling her second one at Eclectablog so stay tuned. Half of the proceeds from poster sales go to the Obama campaign through October 19th.

– Chris

23. October 7, 2012 at 9:18 am

Howdy doody to you O’s!!!! How’s it going on this great getting up Sunday in TOD town? Off for my run in a crisp, brisk, 40 degree (34 windchill), but sunny morning in Chi-town. I hope the birdies and other critters along my prairie path have calmed down since the debate. They were very upset to hear about Mitt’s plan for their mentor and role model Big Bird.

My political take today is I’m thinking we should thank the RWNJs for making the job numbers more than just another report. They pushed Mitt’s media proclaimed win out of the news cycle. They resorted back to the same thing they did with the polls. They made accusations that the fix was in. So let them keep talking, let them spew their ignorance. Remember, the only folks at this point who will make the difference are so-called undecideds in a few states.

24. October 7, 2012 at 9:19 am

The Republicans are feverishly rushing out Republicsn leaning polls, to try and sway public opinion.
    Citizens United poll has Obama +4 for Women in Ohio??? Only 4 points amongst Women? Really? Citizens United Poll? Really?

• 93 57andFemale
      October 7, 2012 at 9:27 am

JeffersonObama (aka Jeff Gauvin) hinted that the PPP post-debate poll was very bad for PBO but I couldn’t find any additional information. I still think the polls — even the legitimate ones — are not going to be good for the next few days We have to keep hammering Mitt.

October 7, 2012 at 9:33 am

The ppp Friday polling numbers showed a “bounce” for Romney, but according to PPP, their Saturday numbers went back to pre-debate levels.

Just something to keep in mind: ppp does NOT poll cell phones. They only poll landlines. That method may be fine in an off year or a midterm, but in a Presidential year, it might yield more conservative estimates.

• 95 57andFemale
          October 7, 2012 at 9:45 am

Thanks. It was difficult to tell if it was recent data. the line, however, was “Romney bounce real according to PPP”, so it concerned me.

I wouldn’t be anywhere near as concerned if the left would stop doing damage. I’ve been resilient and positive and tweeting and retweeting and FB’g and talking to people. there is no reason now to pivot to the jobs numbers and yet it’s our own side sabotaging us. I can’t believe that after 2010 they would still do this. It’s maddening.

October 7, 2012 at 9:52 am

I’m with you about the behavior of the “left.” It’s very disconcerting and has the potential to do more damage than the right because people tend to trust the info if it’s coming from a supposed “liberal” or “democrat.” I do believe that there is a selection of Democrats/liberals/left-wingers, who do not have PBO’s interests or the interests of the country as a whole. They are financially well-off and adopt single issues on superficial levels to make themselves feel useful. But they are usually nothing more than narcissistic media whores who are all about ratings for their TV or radio shows.

• 97 auntsis522
              October 7, 2012 at 10:04 am

Wow, hopefruit that is an excellent comment. I am preparing a letter to MSNBC & Ed Shultz and would like to use those words. I to believe that they are really pretending to ‘care about the middle class’. They apply the same republican strategy…I got mines so eff the rest while dividing us over single issues. I mean really, the president wasn’t aggressive or confrontational? The minute the PBO losses self control they will be drop him like its no body’s businesses. I think they really want a reason, any reason, to vote for Romney. Go ahead and vote for him.

• 98 FoxfireTX
              October 7, 2012 at 10:23 am

MSNBC works hard to convince us that they are a libera leaning/left network. They are NOT! I don’t care how they vote, in fact they are doing a job which is to keep their ratings up. They are in the entertainment business, that is what they get paid for. It is OUR mistake to think otherwise. So if you want to hurt them, or change their minds, the thing to do is to impact their ratings. Ed Schultz, Chris Matthews and possibly RM will NOT get a single rating from me after their performances the last couple of days. Bashir, Rev Al and LOD are the only three I will watch between now and the election. Forward!

• 99 pkayden
                October 7, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I think Schultz and Matthews were genuinely disappointed by President Obama’s debate performance as they expected him to verbally bludgeon Romney. I don’t recall Rachel Maddow appearing to be too disappointed, and her show the next night was pretty even keeled as she showed that winning a debate does not equate to winning an election.

On their shows the next day, Schultz and Matthews had pretty much calmed down, so I’ll forgive them. We’re all on pins and needles and need to keep our cools and keep fighting for our President.

• October 7, 2012 at 12:25 pm

My biggest disappointment after the debates? Chris Matthews and Ed (the mouth) Schultz. Unbelievable backlash but if we look at their normal behaviour, they are aggressive, and outspoken. Just because they are like that, doesn’t mean PBO has to be as well. The president is elegant, calm and factual. Only Lawrence O’donnell and of course Rev Al gave the correct assessment of the debates. We should not confuse strength and power. In the end, power only walks over people but true strength supports people.

• October 7, 2012 at 9:34 am

The Wisconsin poll is being released tonight, says Obama still has lead there.
        No evidence that The President had a terrible poll!
        At least not at PPP!

October 7, 2012 at 9:42 am
  25. October 7, 2012 at 9:20 am

Good read after a dizzying week. @amyewalterabcnews.go.com/m/story?id=174…— gwen ifill (@pbsgwen) October 7, 2012

26. October 7, 2012 at 9:23 am

James Carville- I don’t think the President wanted to be at the debate.

Oh great- now Carville can read minds?
    Notice, whenever you want a Democrat to talk smack about the President, you rollout PUMAS.

October 7, 2012 at 9:31 am

True. Skeletaur was part of the BP Oil spill carnival barking. He ended up having to issue a public mea culpa a few weeks later. Hang in there jovie – we’ve seen this movie before.

October 7, 2012 at 9:30 am
    • 112 utaustinliberal
      October 7, 2012 at 11:51 am

I watched the first Presidential debate on C-SPAN and I could tell that Pres. Obama was the clear winner in terms of facts and stylistically. Romney came off as a bully. C-SPAN had a split screen and opposite Pres. Obama, Romney was turning red, getting huffy, gesticulating wildly. I was satisfied with Pres. Obama because he had won on the issues; especially Medicare and ObamaCare.

I switched to MSNBC and saw them – except for Rev. Al – lose their collective minds. It shocked me. They obviously weren’t listening to the facts. Even when I was turned away from my TV, Pres. Obama still came off positively because he wasn’t yelling, or bullying the moderator. He was calm and made his points clearly. I refused to fall for their stupid crap. I calmly picked up my remote and changed the channel.

• 113 prettyfoot58
        October 7, 2012 at 1:30 pm

UT,,,

why do you think REV did not join the chorus…what did he see that the others did not see…

• 114 pkayden
          October 7, 2012 at 5:52 pm

If I recall correctly, Rev. Al pointed out some of the incorrection info Romney spouted during the debate, so he seemed to focus more on substance than on style.

October 7, 2012 at 9:36 am

Met my son in his hostel today morning. The feller got a centum in the first math test. After two hours, he kicked me out saying ‘dad, got another math test tomorrow, hint, hint’.

The boy must take after his mother.

29. 126 Margie James
    October 7, 2012 at 9:46 am

Romney winning the AA vote 58/40? I swear the GOP always goes too damn far. They couldn’t even go 49/48 or even 50/50 they had to take it to 58/40. This why they want to make collective bargaining a constitutional right in Michigan, we went red in 2010 and the GOP overreached.

• 127 Bill R.
      October 7, 2012 at 9:51 am

Glad to see TPM dissed those bogus Fri. GOP polls and gives cred to the just out Selzer poll in CO with Obama +4.

30. 128 Bill R.
    October 7, 2012 at 9:50 am
  31. 129 dotster3
    October 7, 2012 at 9:51 am

All these fake new pollsters rolling out from under a rock to proclaim Mitt’s improving poll numbers thanks in large part to a new found admiration by black supporters—-now winning a majority of them, hahahaha—–reminds me of the headline that was being spread a couple of months ago: “Shock poll!!! Obama could lose Illinois!!!!” This was being touted by Tucker Carlson’s trashy Daily Caller and quickly spread throughout the RWNJ sphere, all screaming the news at the top of their lungs. I saw this effort and thought “What????” and was interested in who this new mysterious “pollster” was and the “facts” behind his Big Proclamation. As it turns out, not a pollster at all. He was a conservative Repub political strategist, recently added “pollster” to his job title, so convenient. He had some dumb poll about Obama losing Chgo suburban voters, or something, did not share any of the details or demographics, poll had no credibility, was a piece of you know what. Same kind of dirty tricks going on now—-by “political strategists”, trying to influence perceptions, and reality.

October 7, 2012 at 9:54 am
  33. October 7, 2012 at 9:55 am

Ha! Bitter- sweet roundtable on This week.
    By the end, Carville and Krugman had Noonan and Maitland yelling and very upset.
    It was priceless…

34. 148 criquet
    October 7, 2012 at 10:15 am

The MSM newstainers need to be reminded of this;

35. 152 57andFemale
    October 7, 2012 at 10:16 am

From a dKos post:

“The Rasmussen poll was unchanged from yesterday, so I think the narrative changed on Friday. Don’t be concerned with the actual numbers, we know their pretty screwed up, but it’s the trend that matters.

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Sunday shows Mitt Romney attracting support from 49% of voters nationwide, while President Obama earns the vote from 47%. Two percent (2%) prefer some other candidate, and two percent (2%) are undecided.

These results are based upon nightly interviews and reported on a three-day rolling average basis. As a result, today’s update is the first based entirely upon interviews conducted after the first presidential debate last Wednesday night.

October 7, 2012 at 10:18 am

HAHA..so that’s what it’s coming to for Chuck Todd…wow..fine American journalism for the world to see.

• 157 JER
      October 7, 2012 at 10:22 am

Mitt looks botoxed. And how much of that botox went to his brain.

October 7, 2012 at 10:23 am

Thank you. Mitt has enough money to pay for botox, nip n tuck surgery every 6 months. Must take a whole lotta tax deductions for those pesky “medical” expenses…

• 159 cluny
        October 7, 2012 at 10:50 am

Absolutely. PBO does look tired – but he’s too macho to ever have ‘work’ done. I reckon the most he would ever agree to would be a facial. I am particularly amused by the changing black/grey tones in Mitt’s hair. Did you all notice how the grey had been shaped across the of his hair for the debate. Ha, Ha! Romney reminds me of Hymie the robot on ‘Get Smart’ but with strategically dyed hair.

October 7, 2012 at 10:55 am
      • October 7, 2012 at 12:32 pm

He did just as he did at the convention. Makes his face even less appealing.

• 163 Pamela
      October 7, 2012 at 10:52 am

It’s not as if Myth has a job, mr. Oh-so-unemployed. Let’s keep it that way! https://donate.barackobama.com/page/outreach/view/2012/Pamela

• 164 Nena20409
      October 7, 2012 at 11:14 am

Excuse me…..a 51yrs old Black man looking older than a 65 yrs old White man? That takes the cake…..in which world? In Chuck Todd’s world? Wow….these people are just wickedly crass.

• 165 Obama Grandmama
      October 7, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Who wouldn’t look older with the responsibilies and difficult decisions needed to be made as the POTUS? Has anyone ever seen the Lincoln timeline showing his aging as President? Somewhere there is a study showing presidential aging and there is a year number of how many years it takes on a person as compared to a normal aging process. I have seen it but cannot remember where. It only makes me think how lucky we are to have people willing to undergo this rigorous process.

October 7, 2012 at 10:20 am
  38. 167 cluny
    October 7, 2012 at 10:27 am

Hi All – I blame Andrew Sullivan, Ed Schultz, Chris Matthews, Maddow for setting the tone for the debate post analysis – just like the Jeffrey Toobin meltdown gave permission for all other media outlets to cover the Don Verriii arguments as a ‘train wreck’ which absolutely gave protection to the reputation of the Supreme Court had the health care law struck down. I don’t think the Prez was playing 12th dimensional chess (except in not mentioning the 47%) I think he had a poor although not disastrous showing mainly because of lack of preparartion due to his day job and Romney’s swot like debate cram/lie fest. But MSNBC + Andrew Sullivan gave permission for the conversation to be about PBO and not Romney’s lying. They were lazy – everyone should have seen this coming – it was afterall Gingrich who brought up the near impossibility of debating someone who lies so brazenly. Isn’t that a ‘legitimate’ subject for discussion on their endless shows/blogs? I think they need to have their feet held t the fire – sure – they had every right to say that the Prez wasn’t in top form but by screaming like hysterical banshees they have to own a part of whatever bad stuff comes down as a result. I am convinced the President will win but everything just got a little harder. Please, for those tweeting, emailing etc please send Ed, Andrew Sullivan et al word that THEY blew it! The article about ‘fair weather friends’ is a great one to include in any links if writing to them. This is what the AA community understands that these pundits don’t – you don’t attack your own (see Reverend Al, Chris Rocks response etc). Since they get paid to ‘analyze’ – fine – analyze but they should think about what effect their big, fat, selfish ‘ I think’ pronouncements are going to have on something like the godammed general election just a month out. But otherwise FORWARD – I know this all makes the true believers work that much harder.

• October 7, 2012 at 10:35 am

The next Presidential debate is a Townhall, where the President excels.
      My concern is the audience members. Who are they? OFA needs to get a hold of that issue!
      Otherwise, the Townhall is going to be a big win for the President, I just know it.
      And The VP debate will be Biden landing punches and blows and Ryan lying his ass off.

• 169 99ts
      October 7, 2012 at 10:38 am

Sullivan does it all the time – in 2 weeks he will be apologizing. He decided at the convention that Bill Clinton was winning the election & I haven’t read his nonsense since. He keeps saying he is a republican – well his carry on about religions fits him right in with the wingnuts in the GOP. They can have him.

October 7, 2012 at 10:44 am

I remember he panned PBO’s SOTU speech and then retracted the next day when people didn’t agree. I was also told that Ed Schultz on Friday did a mea culpa for the explosion he had on Wed night. These media folks have an emotionally unhealthy obsession with our President. It’s weird. It’s almost like they go to bed and wake up with PBO on their minds and nothing else matters.

• 171 cluny
          October 7, 2012 at 11:02 am

Yeah – he also suggested that PBO had done serious damage with the ‘you didn’t build that’. My take is that these pundits are not only highly emotional but raging narcissists. What matters is their ‘opinions’ and, of course, they imagine that they could do a better job. That’s why I want everyone hear to ask them , seriously, how DOES one debate a brazen and compulsive liar? Gingrich brought up an important point which they’ve never bothered to really analyse or explain.

• 172 99ts
            October 7, 2012 at 11:05 am

Sullivan is very much talk first – then think about what you said. (Fools rush in and all that). If enough of his readers object to his point of view – he changes it. He also hangs on to some very right wing pundits and quotes their nonsense quite often (Well, he did when I was reading his blog)

• 173 FoxfireTX
            October 7, 2012 at 11:09 am

It’s ENTERTAIN MENT and their jobs! Like Romney they will do/say whatever it takes to get their ratings up. Anyone who seriously thinks they care about the election or PBO beyond what it gets them in ratings is crazy. So turn them off if you want to hurt them:-)

• October 7, 2012 at 12:16 pm

How the mighty have fallen. I used to look forward to Andrew daily …and now, don’t even bother!

• 175 pkayden
        October 7, 2012 at 6:01 pm

After slept on it, he came back the next day and softened his opinion on President Obama’s performance. Sullivan has his ups and downs. I like him, but I read his essays with a huge grain of salt.

• 176 Nena20409
      October 7, 2012 at 11:19 am

I profoundly disagree. It was a lot of those on the left screaming on the Techno world. The Maddow, Eds and so on came after the debate. Our side were already bat ape on Twitter, FaceBook, etc. We have to own our own idiocy. We made this mess 1st and we should truly look in the mirror. Even here at TOD did we forget what went on here too?

It how Us who reacted so that made the Maddow and Matthews, to even go out there. We empowered their outrage. Today techno does not allow filtering. It is reactive and BOY did many from our side LOUDLY React.

• 177 cluny
        October 7, 2012 at 11:42 am

good point

• October 7, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Agreed. It wasn’t just the pundits on this one. People who should have known a lot better piled on. As I said in another thread, I can understand if you didn’t think the debate was great for the President and was disappointed, but there’s no excuse for the outright hysteria and rage that went on.

39. 179 criquet
    October 7, 2012 at 10:27 am
    • 180 lisalovesobama
      October 7, 2012 at 10:33 am

I believe that.

October 7, 2012 at 10:41 am

So do I. As others have said, PBO is not running against Mitt Romney – he’s running against the media.

• 182 criquet
          October 7, 2012 at 11:12 am

Ding, Ding, Ding, HF with the 1st prize. I so agree with this but could not express it so well.

Great framing and absolutely true.

• October 7, 2012 at 11:44 am

Just coming to post this. Its also telling that Colbert and SNL also parodied the MSM’s reaction. I don’t watch cable commentary anymore but was in shock when Colbert showed Chris Matthews. He looked like he was about to have a heart attack.

40. 184 a4alice
    October 7, 2012 at 10:37 am

if you look at that photo up top with the young lady on the phone, the red mop of hair next to her is me. She is dynamite! She’s so good on the phone – she was doing PERSUASION calls! For those of you who have done persuasion calling you know what it’s like. It can be very trying. But she met each call with grace. Sometimes I’d just stop and listen to how she was doing her calls……persuasion not a4alice’s thing. But she’s like the office mascot – it gives everyone a lift to see her there when she’s there. :D

Anyways – fun picture! thanks Chips!

October 7, 2012 at 10:38 am
    • 194 amk for obama
      October 7, 2012 at 10:44 am
      • 195 99ts
        October 7, 2012 at 11:03 am

The GOP whingers are seriously demented – you can laugh at them redistributing the figures – PPP polls are reasonable – and they are considered to be slightly dem leaning – I think the tweeter was not expecting the dems to doubt his figures.

Given the GOP happiness after the debate it is likely more of them are picking up the phone to answer the polls this week. The Wisconsin PPP poll was 33 dem/32 GOP which is less of a dem lead than usual – which does show the GOP being enthused. It will no doubt revert to normal next week as the positives for the President increase.

• October 7, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I agree that they need to develop thicker skin. Seriously. On the other hand, I do think they expect liberals to be more reasonable than conservatives. If you’ve been buying PPP’s polls all this time, I’d tend to agree that you can’t doubt them when they show a swing they don’t like. And they did take the time to make the point that the swing in Romney’s favor was fading on Saturday.

42. 197 cluny
    October 7, 2012 at 10:41 am

Me too. But I have a good feeling about the next rounds – Biden is a very good debater and I think that they will work out a clever way to deal with Romney/Ryan when they brazenly lie.

43. October 7, 2012 at 10:42 am

Polling companies sample a microscopic amount of people on a daily basis. OFA, on the other hand ‘polls’ hundreds of thousands of people every day by phone and in person. Their internal numbers are what matters here. If they see a shift in support, then they will move to remedy that asap. We’ve seen over and over that OFA has built-in flexibility and a considerable war chest. If they suddenly start advertising more heavily in a certain area, then and only then, would we know if support for the President is softening in that area. And we know from past experience that pollsters will have to shift their polling numbers to align with reality two weeks before the election in order to maintain their credibility. Being way off on polling data just prior to an election does not look good on a resume’.

Think about this, though: only after the debate did Romney start to solidify his numbers within his own party. A month before the election and he finally could relax with his own base. That leaves him zero time to shift to the middle (what he should have done 4 months ago). He has done nothing to improve his standing with the critical demographics of women and independents. People are paying attention now, but Romney’s brand is badly tarnished with them.

44. 202 Ladyhawke
    October 7, 2012 at 10:48 am

Wow, I just saw David Axelrod on Face The Republican Nation and he was fantastic. I didn’t see all of the interview, but what I saw was terrific. Axelrod called out Mitt Romney’s dishonesty and rewriting of history.

BTW, it is horrifying to think that Bob Schieffer will be a moderator for the debates. Bob said when talking about the 7.8 UE number that “SOME’ are saying the numbers were cooked. He wanted to know if AXE thought this would be good for President Obama. AXE said IT WAS GOOD FOR THE COUNTRY. Nicely done.

• October 7, 2012 at 11:10 am

JHC, are you kidding me? Schieffer is an idiot!

• 204 Nena20409
        October 7, 2012 at 11:24 am

BS is too old, and a lot slower….at 82 yrs old to be doing this now. So was Lehrer. At 78yrs old. The man retired and they went and dragged him back…..that is more of the state of Journalism today than anything else.

Chuck Todd talks about the looks of pres Obama looking older……That is today….. modern Journalist?

• 205 Ladyhawke
        October 7, 2012 at 11:26 am

I wish I was kidding meta. That exchange was just astonishing. The lack of journalistic integrity in the mainstream media is pathetic. This morning I have seen a lot of discussion about President Obama’s demeanor and not enough about Mitt Romney’s lying. When AXE was discussing Mitt Romney’s DISHONESTY and backing it up with facts demonstrating his duplicity, ace reporter Bob Schieffer asked him – Are you saying he was LYING?? Of course, he just was fishing for a soundbite. But Newt Gingrich ALREADY TOLD BOB AND NORAH THAT MITT ROMNEY WAS A LIAR. Unfreaking believable. I want to pull my hair out.

• 207 criquet
      October 7, 2012 at 11:19 am

The perfect response to this made up numbers nonsense is that the RWNJ have claimed that the Pres’ birth certificate is false,immigration numbers are false, the Homeland Security study on RW militia groups was false, SOS Clinton’s staffer was a spy, polling numbers are false, Bush killed OBL, loads of other nonsense and unemployment numbers are cooked … do you really want me to answer this question?

Once it doesn’t fit their narrative whatever it is is false.

• 208 pkayden
        October 7, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Bingo!!

I could care less what Rightwingers say. It irks me, however, that the mainstream media is pushing the story that somehow unemployment rates can be manipulated. Why isn’t the mainstream media pointing out how ridiculous such accusations really are?

45. 209 criquet
    October 7, 2012 at 10:56 am

Bob ,Amk and all those tweeters with big followings could you let them and the corrupt newstainers know:

46. October 7, 2012 at 10:56 am

Mike Murphy on MTP, is a Hack and a Prick.

That is all.

47. October 7, 2012 at 11:05 am

Bob Scheffer- are you saying Mitt Romney lied?

No, never! Not Him! How silly?

Jeeze!

October 7, 2012 at 11:14 am
    October 7, 2012 at 11:23 am

I shamelessly admit that I’m as pop-culture-hooked as many Americans, and I’m lovin’ all the Big Bird graphics, especially the Obama logo on the cardboard sign he’s holding up on this post (thanks for the chuckle, Chips!). That should look good in the history books: “In 2012, children’s character Big Bird helped get President Barack Obama re-elected.” I’ll take it! I think it’s the silliness of it; that we might as well go ahead and laugh at ourselves. Everybody else is, methinks.

50. 221 criquet
    October 7, 2012 at 11:25 am

No surprise even Nate Silver is at this bait and switch tactic but some are on to them:

Let’s keep exposing the media.

October 7, 2012 at 11:36 am

This article is a MUST READ!!

Title: The End of Mitt Romney’s Quest for the Presidency and The End of the Presidential Debates

// As Lowell pointed out, President Obama says Mitt Romney owes the American people the truth in place of all the misrepresentations he (Romney) made at the debate last night. Indeed, the lies Mitt Romney presented to the American people are not just grounds for a correction. They require an apology. But more than that, the many lies disqualify Mitt Romney from the presidency. His barrage of untruths was just shameful.

But those same lies also suggest it is time to end the farce of the so-called presidential debates, at least as they have been presented to us in recent years. Those in the know about debates (and as a former debater, I am one of them) have long questioned whether the presidential debates are real debates. A craven, saber-rattling media makes the situation worse by craving “body blows,” regardless of substance. And let’s not forget their adoration of the horse race. But these same media ignore that you cannot win by just firing off untruths. (Some of the fact checks are linked below the fold.) And these same media folks abrogated their responsibilities by pretending the debate was about those superficial elements. //

READ MORE…

52. October 7, 2012 at 11:43 am

ttps://twitter.com/NJedwina/status/254970123243364353

53. October 7, 2012 at 11:47 am

trying again, sorry for the duplicate

October 7, 2012 at 11:48 am
    October 7, 2012 at 11:52 am
    October 7, 2012 at 11:53 am
  57. October 7, 2012 at 11:59 am
  58. 234 Ladyhawke
    October 7, 2012 at 12:21 pm

CONGRESSMAN ELIJAH CUMMINGS CHALLENGES “TRUE THE VOTE”

59. October 7, 2012 at 12:31 pm

The BLS Employment Figures May Have Been Unfairly Hurting Obama, Not Helping Him

—By Kevin Drum| Sat Oct. 6, 2012 10:03 AM PDT

So I open up my LA Times this morning,

“But there may be an unappreciated irony at work here. Although BLS didn’t cook the unemployment books, there’s no question that the headline number, which is derived from a telephone survey of households, can be fairly noisy from month to month. There was a big spike upward in September’s employment figure, and that could be real or it could be a statistical outlier.

Or there might be a third option: In a little-noticed part of yesterday’s report, BLS announced that it had systematically undercounted jobs by 386,000 from April 2011 through March 2012. So maybe it’s continued to undercount jobs since then, as Karl Smith suggests here. If so, then not only is the September number accurate, it’s making up for an undercount over the past six months.”

………..

“So here’s the irony: if BLS really has been undercounting, it means that the jobs picture has looked overly gloomy during the first half of the year, which is exactly when it hurt President Obama the worst. What this means is that the wingnuts might be more than merely wrong. They might have things 180 degrees backward. It’s quite possible that far from being unfairly favorable toward Obama, the BLS numbers have been unfairly hurting him. September’s spike corrected that, but probably too late to do him very much good.”

60. October 7, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Amk- the cricket,the cricket.!! Go West Indies!

October 7, 2012 at 7:42 pm