Oct

Rise and Shine

President Obama watches the Vice Presidential debate aboard Air Force One with staff, en route home from Florida, Oct. 11 (Pete Souza)

The full debate:

Vice President Biden: “You probably detected my frustration with their attitude about the American people. My friend [Paul Ryan] says that 30% of the American people are takers, Romney [says] 47% of the people won’t take responsibility. He’s talking about my mother and father. He’s talking about the places I grew up in, my neighbors in Scranton, he’s talking about the people who built this country.

“All they’re looking for … is an even shot. Whenever you give them the shot, they’ve done it. They’ve done it. Whenever you’ve leveled the playing field, they’ve been able to move. They want a little bit of a peace of mind, and the President and I are not going to rest until that playing field is leveled, they in fact have a clear shot, and they have peace of mind—until they can turn to their kid and say with a degree of confidence, ‘Honey, it’s going to be okay. It’s going to be okay.’ That’s what this is all about.”

Charles Pierce: For the second time in as many presidential elections, Joseph Biden got to debate a young, attractive Republican candidate who was demonstrably less qualified to to be president than I am to be chairman of the World Bank…

There is a deeply held Beltway myth of Paul Ryan, Man of Big Ideas, and it dies hard. But, if there is a just god in the universe, on Thursday night, it died a bloody death….

…. the battering that Biden gave Ryan brought something into sharp relief …. for his entire political career up to that point, on critical economic issues, Paul Ryan was an extremist even by the standards of the modern Republican party, which are considerably high indeed.

…. the profound ignorance he displayed on Thursday night on a number of important questions …. was so positively terrifying that it calls into question Romney’s judgment for putting this unqualified greenhorn on the ticket at all. Joe Biden laughed at him? Of course, he did. The only other option was to hand him a participation ribbon and take him to Burger King for lunch.

You know what’s the difference between Sarah Palin and Paul Ryan?

Lipstick.

Full post here

@CharlesMBlow

ThinkProgress

NYT Editorial: Thursday night’s vice-presidential debate was one of the best and meatiest political conversations in many years …. Vice President Joseph Biden Jr. would not sit still for a parade of misleading and often blatantly untruthful descriptions of the state of the economy and the Republican prescriptions for it…

Mr. Ryan, as always, refused to acknowledge the improvement in the economy ….ignoring the steady reduction in the national jobless rate, which dipped to 7.8 percent last month.

…. Mr. Biden repeatedly pointed out that Mr. Romney had firmly opposed the federal bailout of the auto industry, which turned out to be the single biggest act of job creation in the last four years. Mr. Ryan responded weakly that Mr. Romney was a “car guy” …

…. he showed Mr. Ryan’s hypocrisy on the subject by pointing out that the congressman had asked for stimulus money for his state of Wisconsin, just as other Republicans did even as they vilified the program.

Mr. Ryan’s performance on foreign affairs and military issues was at best disingenuous and at worst bumbling….

Full editorial here

Cagle

Dana Milbank: In the hours before Thursday night’s vice presidential debate, word leaked that the Romney-Ryan campaign had instructed moderator Martha Raddatz to address Paul Ryan as “Mister” rather than “Congressman.”

To her credit, Raddatz ignored such instructions and referred to the Republican vice presidential nominee by his more relevant title. Not that it mattered anyway: Vice President Biden was not about to let people forget that Ryan, and by extension Mitt Romney, are inextricably bound to the unpopular House Republican leadership.

On issue after issue — Libya, Iran, taxes, debt, Medicare, Social Security — Biden kept turning the discussion toward actions Ryan and his colleagues took in Congress, at one point mocking Ryan for suggesting he could work across the aisle to forge a tax deal. “Seven percent rating? Come on,” Biden needled.

…. Raddatz turned to the challenger for a response. “Congressman Ryan?”

After Biden’s barrage, the honorific sounded like an epithet.

Full article here

OFA debate site

@JoeBiden

@JoeBiden

Newseum

Cagle

The University of Miami, Oct 11 (Reuters/Larry Downing)

Douglas County Fairgrounds, Colorado, Oct 11 (Helen H. Richardson, The Denver Post)

Columbus, Ohio, October 9 (Scout Tufankjian)

Today (all times ET):

11:15: Jay Carney briefs the press

1:45: VP Biden and Jill Biden deliver remarks at a campaign event at the University of Wisconsin–La Crosse (need to check this time, C-Span have the speech listed for 2:45 ET)

6:30: President Obama has dinner with winners of a campaign contest

Mooooooooorning everyone ;-)

170 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 Proud Former White House Intern
    October 12, 2012 at 8:26 am

Morning

2. 4 Elle in MI
    October 12, 2012 at 8:27 am

Morning TOD!

3. 5 Roberta in MN
    October 12, 2012 at 8:27 am

Great picture. Thanks for the new thread. Good Morning Chips. Great deebate last night.

4. 6 proudmemberofglobalzero
    October 12, 2012 at 8:27 am

Great start of the day Chips!

5. October 12, 2012 at 8:29 am

Howdy TOD-ers. HAPPY FRIDAY!!

October 12, 2012 at 8:29 am

Indeed.

G’morning CHIPS, TOD, lurkers, everyone! Happy Friday :) :)

October 12, 2012 at 8:30 am

GM folks. Everybody off the hangover ?

• 10 57andfemale
      October 12, 2012 at 9:25 am

I felt none of the rum I’d been drinking because I was so nervous. Then, in the glow of victory, all that rum hit me. It’s gonna be a long day at work today.

• 11 amk for obama
        October 12, 2012 at 9:30 am

My binge advice. Two aspirins with the first swill.

vc is gonna kill me for corrupting you. :)

• 12 57andfemale
          October 12, 2012 at 9:33 am

My dear amk, I’m corrupted all on my own.

Can’t take aspirin — asthma reaction. A very long day……..

8. October 12, 2012 at 8:30 am

GM all and a big old hug for Joe Biden. Love him.

October 12, 2012 at 8:32 am

Good Morning TOD. Friday’s freaking amazing thanks to the awesome VP Joe Biden.

10. 23 Roberta in MN
    October 12, 2012 at 8:34 am

I am listening to C-Span on callers. There is one executive that can’t find a job and is undecided. He is really uninformed.This guy voted for McCain, says it all. I haven’t been on Twitter this morning. Busy today. But thanks for all the pictures and sstories Chips, I will try to get through all of them.

October 12, 2012 at 8:39 am

Beware, some of these CPAN “callers” could be GOP plants. They pay their sock puppets to infiltrate every level of the media.

• 25 amk for obama
        October 12, 2012 at 8:44 am

some most of these CPAN “callers” could be are GOP plants.

fixt. GM hf. :)

• October 12, 2012 at 8:57 am

They’re not GOP plants. They call in on the line dedicated to either Dems, Repubs, or Indies. IMO, indies are for the most part are moderate Repubs who are disgusted with their party or RWNJ who think their party isn’t crazy enough. I don’t think there are many true Independents. Now they switched the calls to those who are first time voters only.

October 12, 2012 at 9:33 am

Some CPAN callers are Republican plants – regardless of what line they call from or what party ID they claim. I posted this article yesterday which spoke to how the GOP has fine-tuned their sock puppet operation to infiltrate blogsites and I’m not surprised if they’re doing it at the level of TV and radio media as well.

And here is another forum where they discuss the very thing we are talking about with regards to CSPAN and their GOP shills pretending to be “Independents.”

• 30 cookemom
            October 12, 2012 at 9:52 am

I think it’s pretty obvious who they are because they self describe themselves when they call in. As I mentioned Indies are Repubs for the most part. They left the party cause it was too extreme or because it’s not extreme enough. When asked who they voted for in the pass, they say McCain, or Bush so we already know that when we listen to them. I think the Democratic CSPAN viewers are pretty intelligent and are not fooled by the folks who call in. We know going in that we’re going to hear opposing views. It’s the premise of the show. It’s not meant to be for one party or another. I’m sorry I just can’t rise to the level of outrage about Washington Journal. These folks are very in-tuned to politics and watch politics in its purest form; unfiltered House and Senate speeches, panel discussions, and other uninterrupted forums. What you’re referencing is better suited for low information voters, who I agree may be fooled.

• 31 Blue
        October 12, 2012 at 9:21 am

They all are plant on C Span, for I know people that call in on the Independent & Dem line, but they are Republicans. They are planted everywhere, and that’s the reason why I no longer listen to the phone calls.

• 32 cookemom
          October 12, 2012 at 9:58 am

They are dishonest impatient people who won’t wait their turn, so they call in on lines they’re not suppose to. The moderator usually catch them at that. See my response above, but CSPAN viewers are well informed and are not fooled by plants. Low information voters are fooled because they willfully refuse to educate themselves. Those type folks don’t care about issues and will follow the shiniest object that fits their particular issues. We won’t win many of them over, because Repubs make sure that those type people don’t have to think. We just need to make sure the folks on our side get to the polls. There’s enough of us registered to win any election in this country. Our outrage should be about why they don’t get out and vote.

• 33 elo4obama/biden
            October 12, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Sorry cookemom, but I was disuaded from the notion that cspan viewers are well informed a few years ago. I have heard quite a few of these ill informed folks call in on the washington journal show in the morning. I decided part could be because cspan give air time to many light weight, and sometimes misleading elected officials. Plus if you watch the republicans in the senate and house purposely lie and mumbo jumbo their way on the floor. If you don’t know [some] facts you would buy the lie.

I decided a couple of years ago that is a lie that cspan viewers are so much better informed :(

11. October 12, 2012 at 8:36 am

Morning Chips and TOD! No wonder I couldn’t post a minute ago. Look at all the gems you gave us to see.

12. October 12, 2012 at 8:36 am

First Lady Michelle Obama will make a “get out the vote” speech on Monday afternoon at Cuyahoga Community College’s recreation center, the Obama campaign announced on Thursday.

“With early voting already underway in Ohio, the First Lady will speak about what’s at stake in this election for Ohioans and ask them to help organize their communities and get out the vote between now and election day,” said a campaign press release.

Public access to the event will start at 3 P.M. Admission is  free, but tickets must acquired in advance at the Democratic party’s “Organizing for America” offices on Euclid Avenue in Cleveland, on Shaker Square in Shaker Heights, or on Ridge Road in Parma.

Tickets will be available on a first-come, first-served basis on Friday from 5 PM to 9 PM. Any tickets left after Friday night will be distributed on Saturday from 11 AM to 9 PM, the campaign says.

Earlier in the afternoon, Mrs. Obama will deliver a similar speech at Ohio Wesleyan University in Delaware, Ohio.

October 12, 2012 at 8:37 am

“You know what’s the difference between Sarah Palin and Paul Ryan? Lipstick.” Oooooooo….BURN. Charles Pierce nailed it.

14. October 12, 2012 at 8:40 am

This is what’s happening right now-

Main Entry: spin control
    Function: noun
    Date: 1984
    : the act or practice of attempting to manipulate the way an event is interpreted by others

Joe cleaned his clock, but they can’t admit it.

15. 41 terim
    October 12, 2012 at 8:40 am

Joe Biden was simply amazing!!

October 12, 2012 at 8:42 am

So the thugs tried to intimidate the mod ? Typical.

Love that the lady asked them to GFT.

17. 43 Betsy
    October 12, 2012 at 8:46 am

Happy Friday. I really enjoyed the debate last night. Martha Raddatz kept them on track, and Joe was AWESOME!!!! Everyone here at TOD have a great day.

October 12, 2012 at 8:53 am

No disrespect Gentlemen, but last night was proof that a woman can do any job a man can do and do it better. People are giving Ms. Raddatz alot more praise than that Jim Laurie, I think that is how you spell his last name, I could be wrong but you know who I’m talking about.

• 45 Betsy
        October 12, 2012 at 9:08 am

Yes, she was WAY better than Jim Lehrer, but I think that she would have learned from watching that debate what to watch out for. Ryan has better manners than Romney and you can expect him to do the same thing to Candy Crowley, and since Crowley is a GOP shill, she will be aiding and abetting him. The disrespect shown to President Obama in last week’s debate will be on full display next week. It will not be fair, but President Obama will crush them. He knows it will be 2-1, but he will speak directly to the American people.

• 47 cookemom
        October 12, 2012 at 9:42 am

I think Raddatz set the bar really high for Candy Crowley to follow. The pundit types are big ego folks and she won’t want to be outdone. She wants those accolades too. I agree that more women should be given the chance to moderate, and not just the VP one, or made to stand there holding the mic.

18. 48 collegekay
    October 12, 2012 at 8:46 am

I think it’s hilarious how Martha still called Ryan “Congressman” instead of “Mr.”

Best debate moderator I’ve ever seen. WIsh she’d do the remaining presidential ones.

• 49 amk for obama
      October 12, 2012 at 9:00 am

Me too. Next one is crowley, isn’t it ? Aarrgghh.

• 50 collegekay
        October 12, 2012 at 9:05 am

Yes, then Bob Schieffer. Both are GOP hacks.

• 51 amk for obama
          October 12, 2012 at 9:10 am

uugghhly.

• 52 Melissa
          October 12, 2012 at 9:30 am

Schieffer can have moments of clarity but not expecting much from Crowley.

• 53 collegekay
            October 12, 2012 at 9:36 am

I have been disappointed in Schieffer lately. He’s had two interviews with Romney and let him walk all over him with no push back.

• 54 cookemom
            October 12, 2012 at 9:37 am

Schieffer did an excellent push back on Repubs for giving PBO such a hard time. It was awhile ago, but it was great. Then, everyone was high-fiving him, now not so much. His will be on foreign affairs and no matter how he moderates, it won’t be good for Mitt. Crowley is another case altogether, yet some call Rachel the cow.

19. 55 proudmemberofglobalzero
    October 12, 2012 at 8:47 am

Good Morning all. I tried to get on the Washington Journal show again. Last week was my home phone….today was my cell. I could not get through. I did enjoy the calls. Most were very nice but we had a woman, Obama supporter” on the line from Ohio with a Romney supporter from Ohio. Our supporter was very nice and very knowledgeable. Also the 2 calls from Florida were great. I can’t get through this morning and they ended the supporter calls to go to “undecided” calls. Being an honest person I quit trying to get through. I am NOT undecided.

• 56 cookemom
      October 12, 2012 at 9:21 am

In all the years I’ve watched that show, I’ve only attempted to call in one time. I don’t remember why, but it had something to do with being upset with a guest. Luckily for one of us, I couldn’t get through. Anyway, I do enjoy that show and to me it gives me a better idea of what the average, informed voter is thinking. For the most part, they’re courteous and express their views intelligently. There are the crazies and the folks who only do talking points, but they aren’t the majority. The moderators can show their bias at times, but they too try to keep it neutral. Now they’re doing first time voters and it kills me that there are old folks, with grandkids who’ve never voted. There are people in their 30s-40s too who never voted and it amazes me.

20. 57 taiping1
    October 12, 2012 at 8:49 am

Our Joe wiped the floor with Lyin’Ryan. Photos of campaign events show the breadth, diversity, and enthusiasm of our support. We are America and we are fired up for our future truly is at stake. Thanks Chips for a great round-up and for keeping the threads going.

21. 58 idon
    October 12, 2012 at 8:50 am

VeepJoe was amazing!! The voters know he brought it and took lil’ lyinryan to the woodshed on EVERYTHING. My favorite part was VP Biden’s expressions. I was laughing right along with him. LyinRyan is one dumbass – totally out of his league.

22. 59 Jessica
    October 12, 2012 at 8:51 am

Michelle looks really good in that dress.

October 12, 2012 at 9:00 am

Yes she does Jessica, and I am piss at that right wing TeaNN for not showing her speech yesterday, when they had it listed that they was going to show it. What Mitt order them not to show it.

23. 61 ranman11
    October 12, 2012 at 8:51 am

Good morning the most adorable, caring, lovable, magnificent, benevolent, magnanimous, compassionate, generous, considerate TOD family. Happy TGIF.

OK Chip I did what you told me to do, when can I get my payment. :) :) :) <3

24. October 12, 2012 at 8:51 am
  25. October 12, 2012 at 8:52 am
    • 65 pugeretto
      October 12, 2012 at 9:17 am

Morning Chips!! I had to re-read that 2nd paragraph of the Esquire article…..excellent….no holding back…loved it!

October 12, 2012 at 8:52 am

What do you think was the best zing y’day ?

Mine ” “Oh, you are Jack Kennedy now ?”

27. 70 dudette9t9
    October 12, 2012 at 8:52 am

Good Morning Everyone! It’s a GREAT DAY IN AMERICA!! :-D

28. October 12, 2012 at 8:53 am
  29. October 12, 2012 at 8:53 am
  30. 75 dudette9t9
    October 12, 2012 at 8:54 am
    October 12, 2012 at 8:56 am

Love that big, white lettered VOTE EARLY on the left of stage. On the effing message. Every effing time. Love it.

32. 78 1jam4pbo
    October 12, 2012 at 8:57 am

Good Morning TOD.

Good Morning Miss Chips. Thanks for all the wonderful goodness you continue to send our way.

You know looking at that photo of PBO watching the debate, has just made it clear to me just how strong he is and how heart breaking for us to see him watch how those on the other side lie about him.

Surely it must hurt. He knows more than we will ever know what their intensions are and how the Weak will suffer.

I pray for him as often as I can.

Have a great day Everybody.

October 12, 2012 at 9:40 am

I think our PBO will be okay. He’s a politician and he is well aware that politics is what it is.

I also have reason to believe that the ordinary voices of love support, and encouragement that he receives from everyday folks drown out all that nonsense from the media, PL and the GOP.

PBO sings one line from a 70’s hit, and the sales skyrocket by 490% within a week. Romney sings “America the beautiful” and its the object of ridicule. I think PBO knows how people feel about him.

October 12, 2012 at 10:37 am

Well said, and I appreciate everybody’s good thoughts directed toward our President this morning. He is SIMPLY THE BEST, better than all the rest.

• October 12, 2012 at 9:53 am

1jam4pbo, I completely know what you mean. President Obama is the most honest, compassionate and strong person I know of and it is awful to see what those uneducated prigs say about him. I know he always says that he is thick skinned but you are right, it must hurt him. I know that sometimes I just want to put my hand through the screen and slap the lying so and so’s upside the head! (and I am not a violent person by nature). PBo’s intentions are for the best for everyone.

October 12, 2012 at 9:04 am

A smile for the day.

34. 85 cookemom
    October 12, 2012 at 9:14 am

Morning all you O’s!!!!! Another great getting up day again in our TODtown. I’m enjoying our chances and know we got what it takes to get this thing done. The only thing that would hold us back is folks not voting. Let’s get them out to the polls. We can offer drives or make calls or help out anywhere we can.

My political take today is that our efforts must remain focused on the momentum that VP Joe brought last night. There’s plenty being said by PBO surrogates and supporters. There’s good news out there. We need to bring that here and build on it.

35. 86 daisydem
    October 12, 2012 at 9:17 am

Waking up to this Rise and Shine with all the goodies is like waking up on Christmas morning to a tree with presents piled high! I can’t take it all in … the wonderful en pointe editorials, the marvelous pictures (I still can’t get over and I tear up each time I see people in a crowd just try to reach out and touch the First Lady, just get close to her, the love is astounding), the comments by the great TOD family, and the cherry on top: the difference between Sarah Palin and Paul Ryan: lipstick. Haha. Now for my first cup of coffee and a second slower read of this post! Happy Friday!!!

October 12, 2012 at 9:19 am

Austan Goolsbee retweeted me. OMG. OMG. OMG. He’s kick ass on twitter at explaining economic data and pushing back against GOP crap.

37. 106 cookemom
    October 12, 2012 at 9:23 am

FLOTUS’ Secret Service guy seems to enjoy his job a tad too much.

• 107 Pamela
      October 12, 2012 at 9:46 am

Yes, I noted that as well….

• 108 Jessica
      October 12, 2012 at 10:11 am

I saw that. I wonder if that’s a new security procedure.

• 109 Nena20409
        October 12, 2012 at 10:14 am

Watch the SService personnel and their hands on the president…..it is the same thing whenever the pres gets to close to the audience.

• 110 Kreen
      October 12, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Ha ha! I am glad I am not the only one who noticed. I think he thinks he is PBO or something, touching her in an almost affectionate way…If I were PBO, I’d have him removed from her security detail, lol. I think he likes his job a bit too much…LOL

38. 111 Ladyhawke
    October 12, 2012 at 9:25 am

THINGS THAT MAKE YOU GO HUH??

Lyin Ryan says a Romney-Ryan administration would gets things done with bi-partisanship. So compromise would no longer be a bad word? Meanwhile, Paul Ryan attended the meeting in Washington, D.C. on President Obama’s inauguration day that decided they would block everything that President Obama tried to do. And that is exactly what they did. There has been a record number of filibusters. But now we are supposed believe that bi-partisanship is only important when there is a Republican in the White House.

39. 120 Smoothscotch
    October 12, 2012 at 9:26 am

Good morning everyone. Have a great day.

Whiny people…Joe was rude, blah blah blah….it’s a snivel fest…lol. Off to work.

I still think somebody got played at the 1st debate.

October 12, 2012 at 9:32 am

OK you have to read this:) The Tweets, alone, are priiceless!!

41. October 12, 2012 at 9:38 am
    October 12, 2012 at 9:39 am
    October 12, 2012 at 9:42 am

This came to mind this morning:)

44. 131 Nena20409
    October 12, 2012 at 9:47 am

The rightwingers and their friends in the media simply can’t handle the truth.

On 10-3-12…..the same despicable duo where severely critical of pres Obama for not responding and counteracting. Now the same despicable lying wickedly bankrupt group are now attacking VP Biden for calling out a liar for what he is?

So which way is this debate to be judged? Oh yeah, when the right and the media call it…..then the rest of Us should accept their verdict and dutifully follow?

No way, No how. We are NOT going to take or accept your propaganda.

45. October 12, 2012 at 9:47 am

I am so stoked! In 2 Days we have flipped the Absentee ballots to favor Democrats, in Florida
    How?
    We can Now vote early on Florida, we are telling People to go to your Elections office and fill out an Absentee ballot, and turn it in, right Now.
    As a result, we are now beating Republicans early absentee voting in Pinellas 42-39.
    36k votes cast, a huge spike from Monday.
    Yup!!

October 12, 2012 at 9:48 am
    • 137 Pamela
      October 12, 2012 at 9:52 am

It seemed to me he was just covering up his need to gulp… Didn’t want the stupid viewers to notice! He was gasping for air as well, it seemed to me. I gotta get a move on, catch y’all later! {{{{{Chips}}}}} {{{{TOD}}}}

47. October 12, 2012 at 9:50 am

I love seeing POTUS so happy about Joe’s debate. You can just tell he is thrilled.

October 12, 2012 at 9:50 am

Republicans have been wrong about EVERYTHING having to do with the economy…and the bottom line is this….

if Mitt Romney wins the election, the G.O.P. will surely consider its economic ideas vindicated. In other words, politically good things may be about to happen to very bad ideas. And if that’s how it plays out, the American people will pay the price.

49. 141 dotster3
    October 12, 2012 at 10:00 am
  50. 143 PoliticalJunkessa
    October 12, 2012 at 10:05 am

That was my uncle Joe kicking ass and taking names. :lol:

Tweet peoples, send him some love today!

51. October 12, 2012 at 10:08 am

What a Friday! What a Friday! I slept very well last night! Thanks VP Joe! :-)

52. 145 PoliticalJunkessa
    October 12, 2012 at 10:11 am

Damn, Charles Pearce is the business!

I love the mockery. AynRyan deserves to be mocked all the way out of office, much less the VP nomination.

October 12, 2012 at 10:18 am

HAHA! Now Chuck Todd haz a sad!

54. October 12, 2012 at 10:21 am
  55. 150 Mae who love our CIC
    October 12, 2012 at 10:21 am

Democrats Keep Registration Edge in 4 Battlegrounds

Democrats hold the registration advantage over Republicans in four of six battleground states that will play a key role in the presidential election, even as Republicans and independents have recorded larger net gains since late 2008, data compiled by Bloomberg shows.

Democrats have the edge over Republicans in Florida, Iowa, Nevada and North Carolina. In Colorado and New Hampshire, Republicans outnumber Democrats, according to the analysis of state data. Three other battlegrounds — Ohio, Virginia and Wisconsin — don’t report registration statistics by party.

Article from newsmax.com

October 12, 2012 at 10:24 am
    October 12, 2012 at 10:29 am
    October 12, 2012 at 10:32 am

CONSUMER SENTIMENT RISES TO PRE-RECESSION HIGH

// (Bloomberg News) Confidence among U.S. consumers unexpectedly jumped in October to the highest level since before the recession began five years ago, raising the odds that retailers will see sales improve.
    The Thomson Reuters/University of Michigan preliminary October consumer sentiment index increased to 83.1 from 78.3 the prior month. The gauge was projected to fall to 78, according to the median forecast of 71 economists surveyed by Bloomberg News.

Rising stock and property values along with falling joblessness may keep giving Americans a psychological boost, brightening the household-spending outlook during the year-end holidays. Improving confidence may play a role in next month’s election as Republican challenger Mitt Romney tries to make a case for unseating President Barack Obama, a Democrat. //

59. October 12, 2012 at 10:36 am
    October 12, 2012 at 10:37 am

Last night I asked VP Biden on Twitter if he would marry me. I’m sure he’s already responded in the affirmative – just haven’t gotten around to checking my Twitter replies yet. You all are invited to our wedding. Details to come soon.

61. 163 criquet
    October 12, 2012 at 10:42 am

More good news:

62. October 12, 2012 at 10:47 am
      October 12, 2012 at 12:09 pm

If this person is 18 or 19 years old, they are not even counted in the pollster’s /MSM’s “likely voter” models simply by virtue of not having voted in 2008 or 2010.

63. 167 Ladyhawke
    October 12, 2012 at 10:55 am

ROMNEY-RYAN = “LIARS ARE US”

We have TWO USED CAR SALESMEN running for the highest offices in the land. It is horrifying to think they got this close to the Oval Office. The American people deserve an honest and serious debate about the issues confronting this country. But all we get from the Romney-Ryan ticket is lies, distortions and tired right wing talking points and attacks. They are empty suits. They got nothin. There is no substance. There is no seriousness of purpose. Just empty rhetoric and reckless ambition run amuck. They will say and do anything to win. On top of that, they are running against an “imaginary President Obama”. They can’t run against the real President Obama because his record of accomplishments just doesn’t fit their narrative that he is a failure. So they make their own reality an show contempt for the voters and the media.

Unfortunately, the mainstream media is so obsessed with having a horse race that too many have abdicated their responsibility to educate and inform the public with the facts. Journalistic integrity has taken a beating this election cycle. Sure, there are fact checking organizations that have sprung up. BUT EVERY JOURNALIST SHOULD BE A FACT CHECKER. Is allowing politicians to lie with impunity going to become the norm? An accepted reality? The volume of Romney-Ryan lying is unprecedented. This can not stand. For the sake of the American people, the answer to that question has to be NO. I have a novel idea for journalists. Let’s get back to the basics of journalism. Why not just tell the truth and let the chips fall where they may?

64. 169 dotster3
    October 12, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Just watched Bill Clinton’s appearance in Indy for the Senate candidate Joe Donnelly and the Gov. candidate Gregg. I have to say, he is pretty good at this campaigning stuff. He held court and the crowd was with him the whole way. He was smart and entertaining, making the Dem case clearly, indisputably and with a heavy dose of common sense. He was excellent.

65. October 12, 2012 at 10:10 pm

What can I say about Joe that hasn’t already been said. He made me proud and showed me that he and the President really are fighting for the people that Romney/Ryan would like to just toss aside. Call me nutty, but smiling isn’t as rude as looking in the camera and lying to the American people the way Romney did.