Oct

Rise and Shine

Winston-Salem Journal: Americans have a clear choice between two presidential candidates with starkly different ideas for spurring the economy, providing for the health of our people, defending our interests abroad, educating our children and protecting our environment. We believe that President Barack Obama’s progress on these issues merits him a second term in the White House.

Four years ago on this page, we endorsed Republican U.S. Sen. John McCain of Arizona over Obama. We wrote that we were impressed with Obama, but McCain would “bring the Iraq war to a successful conclusion, work to end American dependence on foreign oil, reduce America’s output of climate-changing gases and begin the rebuilding of our economy.”

The Democratic president has done all those things and more. He is calm under pressure and courageous in standing up for the rights of all Americans, including the poor, veterans, the elderly, women, gays and immigrants. In contrast, we’ve sometimes found it hard in the last few weeks to tell just what Obama’s challenger, former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney, really stands for.

…. Obama has a keen vision that he has worked hard to achieve, against considerable obstacles and often courageously. But the goal is in sight: An America respected worldwide as much for its prosperity as its defense of liberty and justice.

The Journal editorial board endorses Barack Obama for president.

Full editorial here

You can see last week’s brilliant endorsement from the St Louis Post-Dispatch here

Tumblr

Kansas City Star: Barack Obama volunteer Marilynn Wadden rang more than a dozen doorbells in her first hour canvassing a tidy neighborhood here before stopping to take stock of her progress… If the race is close here and elsewhere, the outcome may come down to how well Obama volunteers like Wadden do their jobs – compelling everyone they can to go to the polls…

…. even Republicans acknowledge that Obama has an advantage on the ground in most if not all of the most hotly contested battleground states. In Iowa alone, Obama has 67 offices to Romney’s 13.

…. Obama backers refuse to cede ground in their quest to turn out every voter they can.

Not registered to vote? Obama’s team can help. Registered but not sure about plans on Election Day? Obama’s campaign can mail you a ballot. Forget to return the ballot? Obama’s volunteers offer a reminder. Need a ride to the polls? Obama’s volunteers can drive.

Obama’s volunteers appear to be having impact. Democrats report an almost 4-to-1 advantage among voters asking for ballots by mail in Iowa.

The vigor among the ranks appears to grow as Election Day nears.

“It’s our time to go out and lace up our sneakers, put on our walking shoes,” Norma Comstock, 71, a leader in the campaign’s Sioux City office, said recently as she gave her fellow volunteers a pep talk. “This isn’t a sure thing. We’ve got to fight every day between now and Nov. 6 so President Obama can keep fighting for us.”

More here – thank you BWD

Cagle

Reuters: President Barack Obama and Republican challenger Mitt Romney are neck and neck in opinion polls, but there is one area in which the incumbent appears to have a big advantage: those who have already cast their ballots.

Obama leads Romney by 59 percent to 31 percent among early voters, according to Reuters/Ipsos polling data compiled in recent weeks.

The sample size of early voters is relatively small, but the Democrat’s margin is still well above the poll’s credibility interval – a measurement of polls’ accuracy – of 10 percentage points

More here

Cagle

OFA

Mooooooooorning everyone, it’s a beeeeeeeautiful day! Thanks to everyone for the brilliant links, so much terrific news. It’s the usual Sunday for me, a bit busy, but I’ll be dropping in and out ;-)

251 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 proudmemberofglobalzero
    October 14, 2012 at 7:45 am

Good Morning all. Proud to be one of the 4,000,000,000.

2. October 14, 2012 at 7:46 am

Morning Proud….awwww close :)

3. 44 ourmanflint
    October 14, 2012 at 7:46 am

Hi Chips have been waiting by the gate…. good morning all TOD

4. 45 nospin
    October 14, 2012 at 7:47 am

Good morning all. Today I am committed to contact as many media as possible regarding #Sensata via twitter. You can help. Use http://www.whatisworking.com/2011/09/local-media.html to join the fun.

• 46 Roberta in MN
      October 14, 2012 at 7:48 am

Someone tried to bring that up on C-Span, she didn’t let her finish. That is a pretty sad state of afffairs.
      Good Morning all.

• 47 utaustinliberal
        October 14, 2012 at 8:20 am

I watched C-SPAN this morning and the female caller who brought up Sensata was a Democrat from Texas. I was so proud of her. She knew the issues like the back of her hand. She rallied on behalf of the workers of Sensata even though she did not know them from Jack. She challenged C-SPAN and other news outlets to cover the story because these are Americans losing their livelihood. This is a community that is about to be devastated and Romney can do something about it. He collects millions every year from Bain Capital yet he turns his back on Americans in their time of need.

• 48 Roberta in MN
          October 14, 2012 at 8:44 am

I didn”t hear all the conversation, but the moderator today is not a unbiased. I have watched her often and usually turn her off.

• 49 utaustinliberal
            October 14, 2012 at 9:07 am

That’s where we differ. I actually liked the moderator. I’ve watched her on multiple occasions and she’s usually generous with giving callers time to air their opinions. Sometimes, she cuts them off and that can be frustrating, but sometimes its needed because some people go on and on in mindless drivel. She gave this female caller generous airtime. The female caller got to talk in depth about Sensata and I was glad about that. The other reason I like the moderator most of the time, was that once, there was this racist caller who was trying to be slick about his racism and she caught on to that and cut him off faster than one can say Jack as he began to emit some disgusting racial epithets against Pres. Obama.

• 50 prettyfoot58
        October 14, 2012 at 8:21 am

hello Roberta…

i heard a call about that…not sure if it was the same call…but she got a lot of it in…the problem is that i think mnay voters are tone deaf right now…those that have decided…have decided…i am not sure if i buy that undecided stuff….

we are in early voting mode and GOTV mode now….

Forward>>>>>>>>>>>>>

5. 51 Ceb
    October 14, 2012 at 7:49 am

Good morning Chips and TOD family.

Wow, you guys are fast and early!

6. October 14, 2012 at 7:51 am

GM all. The sun is coming up outside my window and there’s renewed hope in the air. We’re marching on.

October 14, 2012 at 7:51 am

Thanks chips.

GM folks.

8. 54 proudmemberofglobalzero
    October 14, 2012 at 7:55 am

Good Morning TOD family. Just wanted to say the “”fun” has already started in Palm Beach County Florida. The absentee ballots that were first printed were WRONG. Out of the 60,000 initially requested to be mailed…10,000 were caught. The races for office were correct but amendments were not.
    That delayed the mailing of the rest of the ballots. My daughter who is at the University of Tampa has yet to get hers even though the initial records say it was mailed out Oct. 2. We have been calling the BOE and if she does not get it by the 19th…she is to call again and we will go from there.

I guess all eyes will be on us again this year.

• 55 amk for obama
      October 14, 2012 at 7:58 am

Trust the thugs to screw up things, either by design or through sheer incompetence.

Floridians need to wake the fuck up.

• 56 Roberta in MN
        October 14, 2012 at 8:02 am

I agree on Florida and we have to watch Ohio, Hustad is up to some shit there. Watching Uppers right now. He is starting with the Bain crap.

• 57 proudmemberofglobalzero
        October 14, 2012 at 8:14 am

Susan Bulcher is our Election Supervisor. She is elected and she is one that Dems also vote for. She is the one that I will be voting for again this year. I just don’t get it though. I have been to two training classes for working the elections. Some of the information is different in each class. A little confusing but, I have a manual to study so…I will go by the book as a Clerk.

One NEW little tidbit…If by court order the times are extended during the election…all those in line after the 7:00 initial closing time will have to cast a “provisional ballot”. I do want to say that I just learned that “Provisional” ballots ARE counted after it is determined that the voters information is verified by the elections office. Each voter is given a card with a website that they can research if their vote is counted.

• 58 prettyfoot58
          October 14, 2012 at 8:37 am

Proud…

before this onslaught of voter suppression…i knew about some of the ineptness of the voting process..we have had cases here in Philly where the machines have broke down stranding voters..

as important as voting is…. i think that it is time to have synchonized voting across the country…that we all vote the same way…that there are upgrades and the like…i know that this is a huge lift….but this voter suppression has opened this voter’s eyes to how easy it is for the election officials to thwart democracy…..

• 59 jackiegrumbacher
            October 14, 2012 at 9:28 am

PF, if the machines break down, INSIST on a paper ballot. When this happened in 2006 in our precinct, the polling staff tried to tell people to come back later and I knew that many would not. I insisted that we vote by paper and they said all they had were provisionals. I told them to call the county registration office and say that all the provisionals taken during the breakdown were actual written ballots. They promised to do that, so we all turned in paper. But I wanted to make sure. So I called the county offices myself, then called one of the county commissioners and asked her to talk to the judge assigned to the elections that day. I kept calling throughout the day to make sure that those provisionals were going to be counted that day. After the fiasco at our polling place, we heard of another precinct with a breakdown and started calling the county offices to insist that enough paper ballots be delivered immediately to affected polling places. There was a mad scramble and the paper ballots were indeed hastily photocopied and then sent out to the polls with broken computers. The point is that people have to learn not to be passive about happens. If the machines break down, don’t let anyone get away with telling you to come back. Insist on immediate action. Oh, and by the way, since that time, our polling places have been well supplied with paper backups.

• 60 proudmemberofglobalzero
              October 14, 2012 at 9:44 am

Palm Beach County HAS a paper ballot. It is then placed in a scanner to be read. The card goes back to the BOE and I take the ballots after the audit is done.

• 61 prettyfoot58
              October 14, 2012 at 11:10 am

thank you Jackie…i consider myself savy but i am a novice when it comes to things like this…and i am sure many voters would not know what to do…i will spread the word…

• 62 Left-Indie
            October 14, 2012 at 9:43 am

Add to that a national off day for voting. Some countries require that citizens vote. Not advacating for that, but we can certainly make it easier. When the Goppers get power, we know what they do: restrict voting in anyway possible. They go at it with certain demented vigor. Seems to me when Dems are in charge they would do the opposite with seal, but they don’t. Frustrating. Tim Kaine was in charge of Va with Dem house and he spent no money to liberalize voting like Dem future depended on it. Same with others (even safe Dems states like Maryland). Samething with Strickland in Ohio, Granholm in Michigan, Randel in Penn. Dems should be pushing the envolope in the other direction hard. I like to see people able to register at 7-eleven. They do fine processing the state lotto.

• 63 prettyfoot58
              October 14, 2012 at 11:12 am

good point about updating and modernizing the whole process…it is a worth while investment in our democracy

• October 14, 2012 at 8:46 am

Now see, OFA should be made aware of this, so they can help.

9. October 14, 2012 at 8:02 am

Proud and lucky to have TOD as the first site I see every time I turn on the computer!

10. October 14, 2012 at 8:10 am

6:00 am and we’re heading out to the final day of the our international hot air balloon festival here in Albuquerque. Almost nothing can blast our 11 year-old out of bed this early, but for this he managed! Catch up with y’all later….

October 14, 2012 at 8:13 am

Wonderful round up Chips. This is why I am not prone to panicking and hair on fire crap. Our team’s ground game is unprecedented. We are not giving up until the last ballot has been counted. We are on the ground and and busting our asses all the time making calls, registering voters, canvassing, recruiting volunteers, giving people the facts as to how Pres. Obama and Democrats have helped them and improved their lives even if they may not have immediately noticed it, and donating every last penny and dollar that we can because we know that this election is important not just to America, but to the rest of the world.

p.s. The endorsement by the Winston-Salem Journal was pretty awesome.

October 14, 2012 at 8:25 am

Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed is going to be on Meet The Press today. Now, that’s must see TV. He is such a vigorous defender of Pres. Obama and Democratic principles. He is one proud Democrat and never apologizes for it.

Jen Granholm and Stephen Colbert – OMG! OMG! OMG! Stephen Colbert – will be on MTP too.

13. October 14, 2012 at 8:32 am

Good Morning!
    Happy Birthday Roberta!

I AM FINALLY FREE! FREE FROM THE TYRANNY OF MY LANDLORD’S SUCKY WIRELESS CONNECTION! YEAH!!!

14. October 14, 2012 at 8:33 am

So this Sensata story? Has it made the MSM yet? Has the librul media caught on or is it just the actual liberal media that’s talking about it?

October 14, 2012 at 8:39 am

I don’t expect to hear anything on the Sunday Republican love-in shows. A few MSNBC hosts have mentioned that they will be talking about it in the upcoming week (Schultz) and weekend (Chris Hayes), and I read on Twitter that Ed Schultz is planning to go to Freeport to cover the story.

• 83 gobrooklyn
        October 14, 2012 at 8:45 am

Thought I read that Al Sharpton will be going there too. No?

October 14, 2012 at 8:51 am

I believe that Rev Al was actually the first person in the MSM to break the story – well before it began to take hold on Twitter and elsewhere.

• 85 utaustinliberal
      October 14, 2012 at 8:41 am

I think Ed Schultz will be covering it and Chris Hayes has booked a Sensata worker for his show next week.

• 86 nospin
      October 14, 2012 at 8:50 am

Rev Al is going on Tuesday, Ed on Monday I think. Chris Hayes said he will talk about it “Next” weekend and he has someone he wants to interview at that time. So my hope is to push this into our state and local conversations so if anybody is up to it, please use WIW’s link to the msm and share their story.

• October 14, 2012 at 8:56 am

Tweet Lis Smith, she will push it onto the scene.

• 88 nospin
          October 14, 2012 at 9:03 am

Hi Jovie – I tweeted her on yesterday. Also LaBolt, Axe etc. she did reply by sending a video of an ad touching on the outsourcing/china slave labor issue but I gently pushed back to say it was not that effective. I saw that same ad last week and had no idea what it really meant UNTIL I saw the Sensata story. I asked her to consider making some changes to allow voters to effectively get the connection.

• 89 amk for obama
            October 14, 2012 at 9:16 am

Well done nospin. Sometimes campaign team gets stuck in their own bubble and it’s good to let them from the real world.

15. 90 Ladyhawke
    October 14, 2012 at 8:33 am

LOLGOP ‏@LOLGOP

——————————

KNOW THIS: Mitt Romney’s career has been all about making Americans work more for less and avoiding taxes on the millions he reaps.

——————————-

16. 91 Sandee
    October 14, 2012 at 8:37 am

GM TOD! Happy birthday Roberta! Love the graphic, and proud to part of the 4m. Still have the “one of the million” T from 08. Maybe a new one is in order….4m, just wow! Thanks to all for everything you do to re-elect our great duo…BO + Joe. Have a great day everyone.

17. October 14, 2012 at 8:39 am

Did you see the Biden/Ryan skit on SNL?

October 14, 2012 at 8:43 am

A very Happy Sunday Morning/Afternoon, TODville! Life is GOOD! :lol: :lol:

I’m up and SIGNING in (even though I haven’t yet completed my chores) so that some people (from INDIA and IRELAND) won’t try to spread false rumours that I was lazing in bed. I can’t stay now because |i haven’t finished cooking yet, plus I got roped into making another cheese cake because last week’s was ‘so good’! Grrrr! See you all later, once I get stuff in the oven.

Be good!

19. October 14, 2012 at 8:48 am

Looks like Susan Page was mad at PPP polls this morning. Check out the TL, she wonders why PPP does not poll her?
    LOL!

20. 102 forus50
    October 14, 2012 at 8:53 am

This is an interesting graph (also posted on Daily Kos) from RAND. It is different than the other tracking polls and it’s methodology is clearly explained. The link takes you to the graph (there are several others) that show the respondents expectations as to who will win (not based on who they will vote for necessarily). Clearly there are many Republicans who think the President will be reelected. Today it is 54 O and 42 R :) Take a look.

October 14, 2012 at 9:00 am

I was out canvassing in VA sometime last month and I happened to be on a very Republican-leaning block. I spoke to a GOP voter (who worked for Exon Mobil) and who was sure that PBO was going to be re-elected (even though they don’t support PBO because PBO “is pandering to the environmentalists and is the most divisive president they’ve ever seen” in their own words).

• 104 amk for obama
      October 14, 2012 at 9:00 am

Thanks forus. Very interesting graph indeed.

October 14, 2012 at 8:54 am

FF users

Firefox had released 16.0.1 version after fixing the security bug in 16.0. You can install it now.

I have done it and the speed increase is quite noticeable.

October 14, 2012 at 8:56 am

The SNL skit on the VP Debate was hilarious. The guy who played Paul Ryan drank copious amounts of water and…and….and…you just have to watch it. :lol:

23. 109 forus50
    October 14, 2012 at 8:58 am
      October 14, 2012 at 9:01 am

But but but the debate…

• 111 vitaminlover
      October 14, 2012 at 9:08 am

I know that he will be re-elected. I love the answer that he gave Diane Sawyer when she asked him did he think that he would win. He said it in one concise word “Yes”. That was that and he looked her square in the eye and was sooooo calm and collected about it. Not waivering just cool, calm and steady. God! I love my President!

24. 112 squarepeg
    October 14, 2012 at 9:03 am

Good morning TOD… important news to share from the twitterverse

25. 114 forus50
    October 14, 2012 at 9:04 am

Is the math that hard?? DEMS beat GOP in voter registration in all swing states by wide margins so tell me again what the problem is in figuring out registered voter and likely voter gap? Why doesn’t he use this as a reliable data?

26. 116 Don
    October 14, 2012 at 9:05 am

These newspaper endorsements don’t impress me as at all. If an editorial board can say with a straight face that they endorsed McCain in 2008 because they thought he would end the war in Iraq or that he would stand up to big oil, or that he would fight to lower the cost of health, must have their head examined. This guy would bomb Iran if given the chance, and now I’m supposed to get all giddy and shit because some rag finally got religion?

• 117 forus50
      October 14, 2012 at 9:07 am

If you are a Republican from North Carolina who likes that paper it would make you stop and consider.

• 120 amk for obama
      October 14, 2012 at 9:13 am

So people can’t change ? Or is it people must not change ?

• 121 theo67
      October 14, 2012 at 11:45 am

I’m with you. They said they endorsed McCain because they believed that he’d “bring the Iraq war to a successful conclusion, work to end American dependence on foreign oil, reduce America’s output of climate-changing gases and begin the rebuilding of our economy” – what evidence did they have for any of these assumptions? What did John McCain do to further these causes after he lost? He’s done nothing in any of these areas, and he would have done nothing in any of these areas if he had won. People who believed these stories are the same ones who believed him when he said he knew where OBL was and he’d tell us if he was elected.

• 122 nathkatun7
      October 14, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Why all this negativity, Don? Why can’t you, at least, celebrate the paper’s growth and enlightenment?

27. 123 Don
    October 14, 2012 at 9:17 am

Let me try this again, what was McCain’s track record that warranted him being endorsed by any newspaper in 2008?

• 124 forus50
      October 14, 2012 at 9:39 am

Earmarks. :) Lol, but that’s not the point. The point is that by whatever logic those who are not of the 1% are still Republicans they would possibly be interested in the views contained in this editorial.

• 125 kathryn kivett
      October 14, 2012 at 9:47 am

I agree about McCain’s track record…..but….being a resident of NC, 40 miles from WS…I can tell you that .there must be something in the air that WSJ smells to lead them to want to be on the winning side…..the R vote, in this area, is A..racist, low information voter that do not read the newspaper except for sports and coupons….B…very wealthy, or want to pretend wealthy but still mainly racist(think it is a status symbol)….C…55 and over Reagan Democrats…probably the largest R. votes…still registered D but consistently vote R..AND STILL READ NEWSPAPERS…..my instincts tell me, with this endorsement, there could be a shift in this voting block due to Medicare and Social Security issues……Just my gut feeling…

• 126 amk for obama
        October 14, 2012 at 9:55 am

That’s a great post, kk.

• 127 kathryn kivett
          October 14, 2012 at 10:05 am

well thank you, AMK…..and then there are the rest of us that live in NC like Anniebella and me(if I am missing someone, my apologies)…smart and compassionate who value someone for their character rather than how much pigment they have in their skin.

October 14, 2012 at 10:51 am

From what I read on Wikipedia, the Winston-Salem Journal has not endorsed a DEM presidential candidate since 1964! In 2004 (when Bush was already unpopular), they didn’t endorse any candidate.

• 129 Left-Indie
      October 14, 2012 at 10:04 am

The relative experience at the time. It was the Biden/Ryan situation. Youngster against a new comer so it’s really not hard to imagine that. The difference, of course, it that Obama was running an impressive campaign and he picked Biden (first test of an important decision), while ol’ grumpy picked Palin.

October 14, 2012 at 9:20 am

Karma is hilarious. Look at what’s happened to original grifters Cornel West and Tavis Smiley.

October 14, 2012 at 9:22 am
    • 136 utaustinliberal
      October 14, 2012 at 9:27 am

Good one HF2. Why the heck should Pres. Obama reveal what’s being done in his debate preps?

• October 14, 2012 at 9:33 am

They want him to tip his hand. Team Robney knew that of he lied about everything, the media would crown him the winner in the last debate.
        You can fool some People some of the time, and all of the People some of the time, but never all of the People all of the time.

• 138 amk for obama
      October 14, 2012 at 9:30 am
    • 139 forus50
      October 14, 2012 at 9:46 am

Mark, I’ll tell you the adjustments he’s going to make. After the debate he’s going to walk over and make some adjustments to your little boy britches to where you will be whining your trivial bullshit 5 octaves higher.

30. 140 Pamela
    October 14, 2012 at 9:23 am

Happy Happy Birthday Birthday to YOU, Roberta, I sure do like that cupcake holder you got there! Hey y’all…. Second cup of tea, then off to get ready for work… Will be in and out, like Chips, kinda, sorta. :)

October 14, 2012 at 9:30 am

Another Newspaper endorsement: The Philadelphia Inquirer

// Like a carnival barker cajoling a mark into spending the last bills in his wallet, the Republican Party is counting on Americans’ not remembering that they’ve seen this trick before.

GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney wants voters to forget their familiarity with the prize he’s dangling before their eyes – a return to the disastrous economic policies that preceded the recession. Given that context, Romney’s prize is no better than a fake pearl…

What Obama has already been able to accomplish in the face of unrelenting partisan opposition suggests he could have a remarkably successful presidency if given a second term. BARACK OBAMA is the better candidate in the presidential race. A vote for him is an investment in a strong future, which is why The Inquirer endorses his reelection. //

• 142 amk for obama
      October 14, 2012 at 9:36 am

Wonderful. It’s raining endorsements.

• 144 amk for obama
      October 14, 2012 at 9:40 am

Stop playing the blame game, the Republicans say to anyone who dares remind voters of what led to one of the worst economic collapses in U.S. history. They have kept former President George W. Bush under wraps lest he refresh voters’ memories.

The GOP would prefer the nation repeat history rather than remember it. Instead, remember unemployment rates above 10 percent; automakers going bankrupt; the stock market losing half of its value; the net worth of U.S. households plummeting; the nation losing 500,000 jobs in one month; the Dow Jones average losing 800 points in one day; hundreds of thousands of homes in foreclosure because people bought houses that they and their lenders knew they couldn’t afford; banks collapsing because their debtors couldn’t repay their debts, and neither could they.

Love it that called out the thugs.

• 148 jackiegrumbacher
      October 14, 2012 at 9:41 am

Finally, someone uses the “carnival barker” analogy, HF. That’s exactly what I thought I was seeing at the last debate. R-money was Billy Bigelow on steroids.

32. October 14, 2012 at 9:37 am

Thank God we had Robert Wexler sticking up for the President on CNN. He knows his shit.

October 14, 2012 at 9:38 am

You have got to check out these charts. I know the stimulus worked because I’ve been paying attention to facts but the stimulus worked. It freaking worked!

34. October 14, 2012 at 9:40 am

“We like what we see in terms of absentee ballot requests, not just the D’s versus R’s, but importantly how the independents have requested,” said Plouffe, who dismissed the Times/Bay News 9/Herald poll as an outlier. “It’s going to be an extremely close race. It’s going to end up in a range I think of 2 or 3 points at the most. We think the exchange we’ve had over Medicare is one that we profited from in Florida. We believe we’ve done a good job under tough circumstances of registering voters in Florida. The electorate of 2012 is not going to be the electorate of 2010 obviously and we think it’s going to closely resemble 2008.”

Keys to Obama winning Florida, he said, include women voters and the growing Puerto Rican population in the Orlando area. Plouffe, who led the president’s 2008 campaign, also believes Obama can win Miami-Dade by even more than the 139,000-vote margin he won it by in 2008.

“We think we can drive a pretty big gender gap in Florida, we think we can do better with the Latino vote than we did in 2008, which is a big piece of business down there in Florida. We think we can drive up some margins in Miami-Dade. We think this Medicare debate’s been a good one for us in Florida,” said Plouffe. “The policies that contributed to the recession (Romney) wants to go back to and in many cases double down on. I think as people are feeling a little better about the economy, that’s going to be a very, very powerful message — that he’s not some safe choice here. There’s a risk involved, and if you’re a member of the middle class or a senior citizen we believe you’re going to pay the burden for what Romney wants to do, which is this top-down economic policy.”

Tampa Bay Times-

35. 154 dotster3
    October 14, 2012 at 9:42 am

David Moore, author of The Opinion Makers on Chris Hayes show, just confirmed what many of us believed—in polling you can get a 20 point swing on a question on the same topic depending on the way it is asked—–in other words, you can pretty much dictate the outcome of a poll if the pollster is so inclined, which most of them are, seeking to please the ones paying the bill.

36. 156 forus50
    October 14, 2012 at 9:47 am
    October 14, 2012 at 9:47 am
    October 14, 2012 at 9:50 am
    October 14, 2012 at 9:53 am
  40. 162 dotster3
    October 14, 2012 at 9:54 am

Hayes mentions Sensata, says the soon to be unemployed workers there will be protesting at the debate at Hofstra, and he confirms he will have one of the workers on next week to cover the subject in depth.

October 14, 2012 at 9:56 am

For all our AZ TODers and lurkers – some encouraging news :)

October 14, 2012 at 10:01 am

Ron Paul Won’t Endorse Romney, Cites More of Same

// Texas Republican congressman Ron Paul pointedly refused to endorse his party’s presidential contender, Mitt Romney, arguing that neither he nor President Barack Obama would make necessary cuts to public spending that would avert a fiscal catastrophe.

“No,” the iconoclastic Libertarian bluntly told CNBC’s “Futures Now,” when asked about whether he was prepared to endorse Romney. He accused both the former Massachusetts governor and the president of being captive to similar interests. //

43. 165 forus50
    October 14, 2012 at 10:07 am

I have to say the ONLY thing I truly enjoy about elections is reading the newspaper editorial endorsements.

Good writing, good logic and firm convictions. Even those on the other side, while not entirely convincing or always fully logical at least are well written. I usually read them a few times for the pure enjoyment of good writing which is so lacking even with the best writers in magazines, etc. Those writers too often have a whole lot of snark or equivocation that makes the story more about them than the subject. The editorials seem more humble with their focus, and very much in their own words, offering clear detail on WHY they are endorsing a particular candidate.

I am looking forward to some beautifully written ones covering the many, many difficult accomplishments of our good soldier and servant, our President.

44. 166 kathryn kivett
    October 14, 2012 at 10:17 am

Happy Birthday, Roberta, a HUGE milestone…right behind you(3 months)…still have not conquered twitter but do read tweets….now off to make those pear preserves for Nov. 7th….

45. 167 dudette9t9
    October 14, 2012 at 10:17 am

Good Morning Everyone.

46. 168 anniebella
    October 14, 2012 at 10:26 am

In listening to VP Biden talk in that video, I can not see how anyone have the nerve to talk about Paul Ryan won that debate. If they say so they are lying their lying head off.

47. October 14, 2012 at 10:32 am

“During Mr. Romney’s four-year term as governor of Massachusetts, he cumulatively spent more than a year — part or all of 417 days — out of the state, according to a review of his schedule and other records. More than 70 percent of that time was spent on personal or political trips unrelated to his job, a New York Times analysis found.”

Slacker!

48. 170 forus50
    October 14, 2012 at 10:32 am
  49. 172 dudette9t9
    October 14, 2012 at 10:32 am

Happy Happy Birthday Roberta!!!

October 14, 2012 at 10:39 am

Joy Reid is kicking ass on #Nerdland She is calling out lie after lie after lie spewed by the Bush Admin female.

51. 174 Bill R.
    October 14, 2012 at 10:40 am

photo/1

• 175 57andfemale
      October 14, 2012 at 10:49 am

these numbers are too close for comfort — this is perilously close and we need to do whatever we can do personally to GOTV.

52. 176 dudette9t9
    October 14, 2012 at 10:41 am

Colbert on MTP now!!!! :-D

October 14, 2012 at 10:41 am

yup.

54. October 14, 2012 at 10:42 am

Here is my Mothers Text message on what they are saying on MTP-

Yes they said that Obama was terrible and Romney has a detailed plan for all the problems and Obama has no plan.
    Then my 80 year old Mother texted, WTF?

Yes Mom, WTF indeed!

• 180 theo67
      October 14, 2012 at 12:25 pm

So glad your mom’s paying attention – this should help with those around her who hear her questioning the drivel we’re getting from the media. She’s very spirited!

55. 181 dotster3
    October 14, 2012 at 10:42 am

Who in the world is this terrible delusional woman on MHP, and why is she there?? Yikes.

• 182 57andfemale
      October 14, 2012 at 10:47 am

I stopped watching her show ages ago but my husband watches and made me watch part of it this morning. I was shocked to see MHP actually shut up a guest who is lying, instead of waiting for the next segment to make her points while letting the guest ramble.

Joy Ann Reid — a joy to behold. If MHP would do this more often, and realize it’s public opinion she’s influencing and not conducting an academic exercise — she’d get a lot more viewers.

• 183 prettyfoot58
        October 14, 2012 at 11:20 am

not conducting an academic exercise — ..

this can be a weakness on certain issues….
        but i also find that she tackles issues that others don’t….

there are many segments on MSNBC that i have to mute…..but i do not stop watching…if there is something that i seriously disagree with…i have learned to tweet or email….my complaint….and also…just as important when…imo…if they get something right…good comments …

• 184 57andfemale
          October 14, 2012 at 12:07 pm

You’re right. she does cover some things that are vitally important and never covered. But it’s difficult for me to stay engaged when I’ve seen RW guest after RW guest go unchallenged for the sake of ‘balance’. Lies are lies and should NEVER be accepted as ‘balance’ – it’s how Americans have collectively lost the ability to reason. MHP is a brilliant, principled woman; but she needs to use some of that brilliance to understand the political climate of the times and not waste precious progressive media time. Imagine if SHE has called out the lies week after week instead of giving the RWNJ’s an unobstructed forum? Progressive media has contributed to this mess.

So I’m afraid I don’t stick around to watch all of her show after one of these episodes and I’m sure I’ve missed a great deal of great political talk. But I just get too pissed off.

• 185 xtine
      October 14, 2012 at 10:53 am

She’s awfu! Just quoted Michael Ledeen! Smackdown by rest of panel.

October 14, 2012 at 10:42 am
    October 14, 2012 at 10:45 am

I’m not sure if Jake Tapper is sad, or angry today. Quite possibly, he’s both.

58. 188 donna dem 4 obama
    October 14, 2012 at 10:46 am

Good Sunday Morning TOD!!!

I spent yesterday knocking on doors in the Lorton/Springfield, Va area. Our team of 4 knocked on 63 doors yesterday. Most people not home (left voter information) but of the 16 homes that did respond only 2 were not “strong Obama” supporters. One would hear none of my pitch for the President and the other was an undecided who seemed not very interested. We registered a 19 year old who was outside working on his motorcycle. He said he had wanted to register but just hadn’t gotten around to it. He promised us he would vote and and he said he would be voting for PBO. That to me was the most satisfying thing that we did yesterday. Another vote that may not of been there for us on Nov 6th in the books. Yippee!!!!

Have a great Productive O’Day Everyone.

59. 191 yardarm756
    October 14, 2012 at 10:52 am

Good morning everyone. I got up early to see MHP and that was a mistake. There was a dreadful troll on there named Diana Kroll, or something that has ruined the start to my day. It’s Sunday so I won’t say what I reaaallly think but I’m gonna be in a snit until I get my second cup.

October 14, 2012 at 11:06 am

G’morning shipmate, and don’t feel bad! Many people felt the same way about that troll. And thankfully, Joy Ann Reid was gave her a nice slice of STFU cake, with some STHU wine to wash it down. Just read upthread!

October 14, 2012 at 10:56 am

In person, and in vote….

What a great visual!

October 14, 2012 at 10:59 am
  62. 204 criquet
    October 14, 2012 at 11:01 am

Good morning all.

This just about sums it up:

63. 205 yardarm756
    October 14, 2012 at 11:02 am

This brought me back from the edge:

Subject: Whether Democrat or Republican, you should get a kick out of this!

A little boy goes to his dad and asks, ‘What is Politics?’

Dad says, ‘Well son, let me try to explain it this way:

I am the head of the family, so call me The
    President.

Your mother is the administrator of the money, so! We call her
    the Government.

We are here to take care of your needs, so we will call you The People .

The nanny, we will consider her the Working Class.

And your baby brother, we will call him the Future.

Now think about that and see if it makes sense.’

So the little boy! Goes off to bed thinking about what Dad has said.

Later that night, he hears his baby brother crying, so he gets
    up to check on him.

He finds that the baby has severely Soiled his diaper.

So the little boy goes to his parent’s room and finds his mother asleep.
    Not wanting to wake her, he goes to the nanny’s room Finding the
    door locked, he peeks in the keyhole and sees his father in bed with
    the nanny.
    He gives up and goes back to bed.

The next morning, the little boy say’s to his father, ‘Dad, I
    think I understand the concept of politics now.’

The father says, ‘Good, son, tell me in your own words what you
    think politics is all about.’

The little boy replies,
    ‘The President is screwing the Working Class while the
    Government is sound asleep.
    The People are being ignored and the
    Future is in deep shit.

64. 210 dudette9t9
    October 14, 2012 at 11:03 am
  65. 211 57andfemale
    October 14, 2012 at 11:04 am

any experienced tweeters out there? I really don’t know how to do what is asked in the following tweet:

” We have to get #sensata to trend. We cant expect anyone else to get the word out. #RT and hastag it with all tweets. #teamobamabiden”

Do I put these hashtags in a reply? Do I put these hashtags in anything I tweet no matter what the subject?

I really am ineffective at this. I want to be as effective as possible.

66. 215 dudette9t9
    October 14, 2012 at 11:05 am
  67. 216 criquet
    October 14, 2012 at 11:05 am

Should PBO go to Arizona to campaign and/or send surrogates?

First the Rocky Mountain Poll results now wait for it…..TEANN????

68. 223 dudette9t9
    October 14, 2012 at 11:07 am
  69. October 14, 2012 at 11:08 am
  70. 226 dudette9t9
    October 14, 2012 at 11:11 am

Beau Biden has been speaking for all of 30 seconds on This Week and already kicking ass!

October 14, 2012 at 11:15 am

Kasim Reed is shutting it down on MTP!

72. 230 Don
    October 14, 2012 at 11:16 am

Brokaw should just retire, and stay away from the pills.

73. October 14, 2012 at 11:18 am

Somebody should put a diary on Kos asking if you have already voted, who you voted for and what state?
    Just curious!

October 14, 2012 at 11:18 am

Enquiry minds wanna know.

October 14, 2012 at 11:20 am

Kasim Reed and Jennifer Granholm are kicking ass on MTP. They are facing off against three republicans (David Gregory, Bob McDonnell and Alex Castellanos) and wiping the floor with them.

76. 239 Don
    October 14, 2012 at 11:24 am

Damn, Kasim is going to leave a mark?

October 14, 2012 at 11:26 am

This week’s MTP is a must watch. The one thing I’ve noticed since Pres. Obama became the head of the Democratic party is that many Democrats grew a backbone and became fighters.

78. October 14, 2012 at 11:27 am
  79. October 14, 2012 at 11:30 am
  80. October 14, 2012 at 11:30 am
    October 14, 2012 at 11:33 am
  82. October 14, 2012 at 11:34 am
  83. October 14, 2012 at 11:37 am
  84. October 14, 2012 at 11:49 am

I’ve got to share some numbers with you, because they show incredible progress in all aspects of our grassroots organization. This week, you came through big time, making sure this campaign had the resources needed for some of the final decisions we’re making today about our ground game. Thank you.

Here’s the latest:

We’ve out-registered Republicans in every battleground state for the past THREE months.

Right now, we’ve got a total of more than 14,000,000 registered Democrats in battleground states like Florida and Nevada — that means we have a 2,400,000-person lead over Republicans where it matters the most.

And when it comes to voting early in battleground states, we’re in the lead in important states like Iowa and Ohio — and ahead in ballot requests in Nevada.

In Iowa, we lead in vote-by-mail ballots cast, in-person early voting, total voting and total ballots requested. We also lead by a wider margin than we did at this point in 2008 in both ballots requested and cast.

This is all possible because of more than 4 million people — about 1 in 75 Americans — owning a piece of this campaign. That’s a record for American politics.

We can’t stop now! This is a tight race, and we need to give it everything we’ve got.

Sign up now to join the campaign on Dashboard, our online organizing hub, and get involved right away.

Prefer to help in another way? Chip in $13 or more to help strengthen our ground game in the states we need to win.

These figures tell a story about a grassroots movement that, with your help, has been growing stronger every day since 2007. They tell us that our work on the ground is paying off in a big way, but more than anything, they tell us that when supporters like you pitch in, you move the entire campaign and the entire country forward.

We’ve got to keep that momentum going until the last ballot is cast on November 6th.

If you really want to lean into the finish line, join Dashboard today and help get out the vote:

Let’s do this!

Jeremy

Jeremy Bird
    National Field Director
    Obama for America

85. 251 nathkatun7
    October 14, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Happy Birthday Roberta! I am late to the party, but I hope you had a wonderful birthday filled with love and joy.