Oct

Rise and Shine: The Week in Photos

President Barack Obama walks with Chief of Staff Jack Lew during a break from debate preparations in Williamsburg, Va., Oct. 14 (Pete Souza)

A line of people waiting to see first lady Michelle Obama snakes through the campus of Ohio Wesleyan University in Delaware, Ohio, Oct. 15 (AP/Andrew Welsh-Huggins)

Ohio Wesleyan University, October 15 (Jewel Samad/AFP/GettyImages)

Tumblr

Photobucket

(Pool/Getty Images)

(AP Photo/Pool-Shannon Stapleton)

A worker vacuums Mitt Romney off the stage floor after the debate (Saul Loeb/Getty)

Bruce Sprinsgteen (Michael F. McElroy for the New York Times)

OFA

A Secret Service agent sprints into position as President Obama arrives in Athens, Ohio (Damon Winter/The New York Times)

Ohio University, Oct 17 (@BuzzFeedAndrew)

Ohio University, Athens, Oct 17 (click the photo at the OFA site to see the huuuuuuge version, it’s gorgeous)

Ohio University, Athens, Oct 17 (Reuters/Jason Reed)

Cornell College, Mt. Vernon, Iowa (AP/Carolyn Kaster)

Cornell College (Damon Winter/The New York Times)

Tumblr

Manchester, New Hampshire, Oct 18 (Darren McCollester/Getty)

Manchester, NH, October 18 (Reuters/Jason Reed)

JFK (Damon Winter/The New York Times)

The Daily Show (Damon Winter/The New York Times)

The Alfred E Smith Dinner, Oct 18 (Mario Tama/Getty)

Live with Kelly and Michael, October 19 (Donna Svennevik/Getty)

President Barack Obama waves from the Colonnade to visitors as they tour the White House grounds and gardens, Oct. 19 (Pete Souza)

A young girl listens to First Lady Michelle Obama, Racine, Oct 19 (Gregory Shaver/Journal Times)

Wausau, October 19 (Wausau Daily Herald)

GMU (Damon Winter/The New York Times)

George Mason University, Fairfax, Oct 19 (Jason Reed/Reuters)

Morning everyone ;-)

312 Responses to “Rise and Shine: The Week in Photos”

1. 1 cos
    October 21, 2012 at 8:36 am

Good morning Chips and friends.

2. October 21, 2012 at 8:38 am

Good morning, TODville!!

GREAT new ad on foreign policy.

October 21, 2012 at 8:48 am

Top notch ad on foreign policy.

• 11 Lovepolitics2008
      October 21, 2012 at 9:17 am

Very strong statements against Romney. I have to say though that I would have loved to see the positive part on President Obama (the end of the ad) much longer. There is so much to say.

• October 21, 2012 at 10:45 am

a beautiful endorsement for the president by people who know.

• 15 Ladyhawke
      October 21, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I have watched this ad at least four times this morning. This is extremely informative for the American people and the mainstream media. What is so powerful about the ad is the calm and reasoned way that President Obama’s foreign policy record is explained. PBO’s strong and steady leadership is being referenced in many of the newspaper endorsements. The contrast between President Obama/Vice President Biden and the Romney-Ryan team is staggering. I still can’t get the photo of Paul Ryan with a red baseball cap pumping iron out of my head. And he says he has foreign policy experience because he has voted to send men and women to war.

I am sure that Mitt Romney will be very prepared with the neocon approach to foreign policy in the debate tomorrow. But really his critiques of President Obama’s policies have been petty and incoherent. The perfect example is Benghazi. Without knowing the facts, Romney gives a press conference where he makes outlandish claims about the administration. Then he accepts right wing Obama Derangement Syndrome where they fabricated the notion that PBO had not said “act of terror” for 14 days. Are you kidding me?? This was supposed to be the gotcha reason that Americans should use to justify voting for Romney? Romney looks like an amateur. He can’t even process basic facts. This incident alone was so revealing. It just proves that Mitt Romney is incompetent and he clearly does not have the temperament to be the leader of the free world. And don’t even get me started with the comparison between Paul Ryan and Vice President Joe Biden.

• 16 theo67
        October 21, 2012 at 1:10 pm

You’re so right. Even if it took 14 days or 28 days to declare the Benghazi attack an “act of terror” – who cares? What does that have to do with any of it? There was an attack in the midst of another attack – confusion, tragedy, violence. Personally, I trust this Administration to investigate things, find out what went wrong, and correct mistakes so they don’t happen again. I have no reason to believe that they mislead the public on matters of national security. And I also believe that they are working hard to keep Americans safe. Given the fact that half the country believes the world is still flat – why would I be concerned if the Administration prefers to get its facts straight before releasing statements that will send fear into the hearts of Americans? And if I remember correctly, it was the media that was pushing for the attacks to be declared an “act of terror” almost immediately, forcing the Administration to release information as it was unfolding, rather than waiting. 14 days or 28 days wouldn’t make a difference in determining which candidate should remain Commander-in-Chief, and which one just needs to go lock themselves in a room somewhere and stop embarrassing himself.

• 17 Obama Grandmama
          October 21, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I say the media played into adding to the confusion with playing nonstop videos of all of the anti-American embassy mob protests around the world Saying the mobs were against the anti-Muslem video put out on internet. The collection of mob scenes promoted the idea that they were all for the same reason.

• 18 HZ
            October 21, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I watched the ad and it is a great ad. These are solid people speaking on behalf of POB. These are people who have worked very closly with POB. He has sought some Sec. Albright’s counsel and she was a great Sec. of State. He also has bestowed the Medal of Freedom upon Sec. Albright.

I read several books about her when POB came into office because she was one who was called upon as one of POB’s advisers along with other Secretaries of State. and she was very solid when she served us under President Clinton. She has been one to be ready to meet with POB and give counsel when approached. I will trust POB on foreign affairs anyday, compared to the previous Administration. There will be other ads to follow, if needed, I am sure after this second debate on Monday night.

POB is way ahead of these talking heads. We have a Commander-In-Chief who listens, gathers the facts, read, read, read, and even ask for more to read, and then gather his team and listens and speaks. Then he acts with focus and precision to uphold the Constitution as President of the United States, and make sure we are safe and that the men and women have a very clear mission and a strategy for that mission. I am one who will continue to watch, listen, and trust him in this area. Plus, I know for a fact personally that he and FLOTUS, VPBiden and SLOTUS have been the best as leaders to lift up and do more for our military men
            and women serving us. That speakes volumes to me and for me as a citizen. Thank you Mr. President.HZ

3. October 21, 2012 at 8:38 am

The numbers show a 26 percent edge in Clark County and 10 percent in Washoe County. That’s about a 10,000-vote lead in Washoe and Clark combined. The Clark numbers: 55-29, or 18,388-9,588 (Actual registration: 46-31) The Washoe numbers: 48-38, or 4,604-3,619 (Actual registration: 38-38) Yes, it’s only one day. But if it continues like this, Nov. 6 is going to be a very bleak day for Republicans in this state. Here is link to Clark numbers.

Massacre!

4. October 21, 2012 at 8:39 am

Chipstar, thank you for another round-up of truly inspirational photos!! FORWARRRRDDDD!!

5. October 21, 2012 at 8:41 am

Mooooooooooorning everyone, have to do a bit of work the next few hours but I’ll drop in and out to say helloooooooo, and will be back later with more posts. Have a perfect Sunday ;-)

6. 28 ourmanflint
    October 21, 2012 at 8:41 am

Good morning Chips. GM everyone. Great day

7. 29 japa21
    October 21, 2012 at 8:45 am

Top 15.

GM all. 16 days to victory. I told the story of my 91 year old m-i-l sending in her ballot. Well, it doesn’t look like she will make it to see PBO re-elected. She is now in in-home hospice and may not make it through the week. However, she is in familiar surroundings and comfortable. And she is surrounded by people who love her, which is not always the case for people in her position.

October 21, 2012 at 8:52 am

Our love and support goes to you and your family japa21.

• 31 proudmemberofglobalzero
      October 21, 2012 at 8:53 am

Good Morning japa21. I am so sorry to hear about your m-i-l. I know this must be hard. Please know that we are all thinking of you.
      Love your TOD family.

• 32 Left-Indie
      October 21, 2012 at 8:56 am

“And she is surrounded by people who love her” About best you can ask for. God bless.

October 21, 2012 at 9:00 am

Our thoughts are with you and your family Japa.

• 34 EDP4BHO
      October 21, 2012 at 9:00 am

Morning TOD. Japa, so sorry to hear. I will pray for her comfort and solitude.

• 35 amk for obama
      October 21, 2012 at 9:07 am

You think that but she’s gonna live to see President re-elected and she is gonna live to be 100.

• 36 ourmanflint
      October 21, 2012 at 9:07 am

Japa. Sorry to hear of these diifficult circumstances. Hope that your m.i.l feels all the love from family and friends. Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.

• October 21, 2012 at 9:15 am

Very best wishes for lasting peace to your mother-in-law and your family, japa21.

• 38 sherijr
      October 21, 2012 at 9:41 am

I’m so sorry ((((((((((japa)))))))))) to you & all of your family, your Mother In Law is in my thoughts.

October 21, 2012 at 9:44 am

Hugs ,love, and support to you and your family.

• 40 Diane
      October 21, 2012 at 10:01 am

japa, I have been where you are now with my great friend and m-i-l and with my Dad, It is very difficult, but you will never regret the time and love you give at the most important time. You are right. Our loved ones need to maintain their dignity and respect they have lived with when they die. You only get one chance to do this right, and you are certainly doing it right. Love, prayers, and warm thoughts to you and yours in this trying time.

• 41 ctgirl7
      October 21, 2012 at 10:26 am

{{{{{{{{{{hugs – Japa and family }}}}}}} I am sending your m-I-l and entire family love and prayers.

• 42 prettyfoot58
      October 21, 2012 at 10:30 am

Wishing you love and comfort…Japa…

• 43 yardarm756
      October 21, 2012 at 10:53 am

GOD be with her and you japa two one. Peace!

• 44 idon
      October 21, 2012 at 11:01 am

My prayers are with you. It is good to know she will be surrounded by love on her journey home. May God bless you all.

• 45 Mae who love our CIC
      October 21, 2012 at 11:12 am

Japa my heart goes out to you and your family. You all tell her that she was a good mother and that you all love her.

2010 October 23rd my dad physically left us. He is always in our memories and in our hearts. He was a good human being, always kind and thoughtful.

Be strong for your wife, she will need your comfort.

• 46 Pamela
      October 21, 2012 at 11:42 am

{{{{Japa~motherinlaw}}}} My lady too, bringing in hospice, it is a beautiful time, but hard in some ways. Blessings with you all.

• October 21, 2012 at 12:10 pm

prayers to you and your family

• 48 dudette9t9
      October 21, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Thinking of you and your family at this difficult time, japa. Hoping the love and support of the people around her helps to give her and you some comfort.

• 49 pkayden
      October 21, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Praying for you and your family, Japa21. Hope that she is in comfortable surroundings and that her family is able to be with her.

• 50 Dakota
      October 21, 2012 at 12:29 pm

My prayers go out to you and your family japa. I work in hospice and you’re right, your mil is very blessed to have love and her loved ones with her at this time.

• October 21, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Sorry Japa21. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

• 52 LunarSea
      October 21, 2012 at 1:59 pm

So very sorry to hear this Japa21. It’s never easy to loose a loved one. I’m happy that she is home and under hospice as they are truly angels of mercy. Being surrounded by love and compassion is the best way to spend this time. I hope you all find peace.

• 53 Alycee (@jazziz2)
      October 21, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Japa, you and your family are in my prayers. May your hearts be Blessed and comforted with love, peace and joy. Joy in the time of sorrow; Joy in celebration of a life well lived; Joy in sharing the warmth and love of family. Joy, joy, joy…

• 54 otter44
        October 21, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Japa , Am sending strength and peace to you. Blessings.

• 55 HZ
          October 21, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Japa21, ((((((((((((((((((((( May the center of your heart be the strength that you lean on during this precious time with your family and precious mother-in-love))))))))))))))))))))))).

Candles are burning in my prayer space in my home for you and your family. May peace rest with you.HZ

October 21, 2012 at 2:51 pm

japa21 – Thinking of you and your family. I was able to keep my mother at home, too, for hospice care and it was such a comfort – they are remarkable people who are working in that field. My son and all of her great grandkids in the area got to see her at home, and they still remember and it was 7 years ago. Take care of each other, too.

• 57 PoliticalJunkessa
      October 21, 2012 at 3:31 pm

((((japa21, japa21 m-i-l and japa21 family))))

My prayers and well wishes go out to you and yours. May your m-i-l feel your love — she is blessed to be with you all. Hospice workers are truly angels. All the best.

• October 21, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Keeping your mother-in-law, you and your family in my thoughts, japa.

• 59 Obama Grandmama
      October 21, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I am so sorry, japa. I pray for you and your Mom. My late Dad died soon after he voted for PBO in the primary in ’08. My 88 yr old Mom is in 4th stage lung cancer.

She has lived a year past her initial diagnosis due to her cancer being a rare mutant variety that is checked by taking a pill that is spoken as if it is equivalent to chemo. Her dosage was not at the level of effectiveness needed and the counter effects have been hard on her. Just this week we found out the cancer is in her bones too.

Mom and I voted our mail in ballots yesterday for PBO and I will be mailing them in tomorrow. The Oncologist guessed Mom has months now instead of the previous hopeful years. I have been sad most of the week (although I am blessed I got the extra year with her). I have been contacting her grandchildren and letting them know the situation as well as my brother that lives in MT. One of my brothers lives with her while I live next door. We are in OR.

I was happy with the last debate as it was the only real highpoint of my week. I am happy I voted although sad I could not influence my brother to vote for PBO. He only voted for PBO in ’08 to fulfill my Dad’s promise to me who died before the GE. My brother wrote in Ron Paul yesterday. He said PBO will win OR without him. Atleast he didn’t vote for Romney. I did convince my GOP sister-in-law to vote for PBO and she voted for McCain the last time. My MT brother will never vote for a Dem as he is one of those gun clingers and keeps believing whatever the NRA and FOX tells him. All 4 of my kids and their spouses are again supporting PBO.

Yet I find it harder to be hopeful this week with the poll results and negative comments. I think it is because I am down due to the news about my Mom’s condition. I see where mental feelings can interfere with hopefulness. This blog helps counter those feelings. Thanks for helping lift my mood.

• 60 otter44
        October 21, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I am so sorry. I have lost 2 sisters to cancer. I know the road that you are on…But know that love survives and nurtures you even after they are gone. Sending healing thoughts, peace and blessings to you and your mom.

• 61 HZ
          October 21, 2012 at 5:25 pm

ObamaGrandmama, you sweetheart, I want to send ((((((((((((((((gentle and quiet hugs to you))))))))))))))) prayers in my prayer room where candles are burning for all of my TOD Family members who are going through tough times. There is joy in the morning, just hold on. Just hold on with good thoughts of strength to come to carry you through the storm. I love you ObamaGrandmama.HZ

• October 21, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Sending love and hugs to you and your family in this difficult time – many blessings on your m-i-l and you. I am glad she is surrounded by family and friends.

• 63 globalcitizenlinda
      October 21, 2012 at 9:16 pm

I remember the story about your mom-in-law and her determination to make sure that her vote is counted for PBO. I hope that she makes it for many more years – no one knows the day or the hour.

wishing her, and your entire family and friends lots of peace.

8. 64 Cheryllou
    October 21, 2012 at 8:48 am

Good morning everyone! Congrats cos on being first.

9. 65 andogriff
    October 21, 2012 at 8:55 am

Good morning everyone, and good morning Ms Chips! Thanks for the fabulous pictures, some gorgeous ones here. Congrats on first to cos, and japa, so sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. Loved the story of her getting her ballot in for PBO, I pray she can hang on to see him win in 16 days.

10. 66 proudmemberofglobalzero
    October 21, 2012 at 8:56 am

Good Morning all. I am going to the local OFA office to get my tickets to the President’s speech on Tues. It is right by my house. I have to work after that but I can’t wait. We are also going to have a sign waving at the debate on Monday. Hopefully I get my credentials to get inside Lynn University. Wish me luck.

Chips, great job on the pictures.

Have a great Obama Day!!

October 21, 2012 at 8:57 am

These pictures are perfect. Everyone is so fricking happy. :D

12. October 21, 2012 at 9:03 am

Hmmm, Boca Raton – “Mouth of the Rat”.

Hope everything goes well …

13. October 21, 2012 at 9:05 am

Chuck Todd has given the whole south to Robney.
    Including Virginia, NC and Florida.
    Polls show neck and neck in those states but chuck Todd is giving him the whole south.

October 21, 2012 at 9:13 am

Well, Chuck Todd does not get to decide which state goes to Robney – voters do.

• October 21, 2012 at 9:15 am

I found what he was saying unfounded, no evidence, just wishful thinking.

• 72 Cheryllou
          October 21, 2012 at 9:22 am

I can’t stand to watch Chuckie T. He gloats when he thinks it’s bad news for President Obama, very unprofessional.

October 21, 2012 at 9:24 am

hopefruit2, let’s see if he will admit he is wrong, when he is proven to be wrong. And since when did it become a journalists job to predict the news, I thought they were there to report the news. But Todd isn’t a journalists.

October 21, 2012 at 9:26 am

Chuck Todd never admits he’s wrong. That’s not the MO of any of these corporate media thugs. They are just like their “hero” Romney, which is why his LIES and overall thuggery doesn’t bother them one bit.

• 75 utaustinliberal
      October 21, 2012 at 9:20 am

VA, NC, and FL? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaaha……Chuck Todd must be smoking some real good Mary Jane.

• 76 yardarm756
      October 21, 2012 at 10:59 am

Chuck T. is a mere stain in a perverts underwear!

• 77 idon
      October 21, 2012 at 11:03 am

Doesn’t GE own MSNBC?

• 78 sabreen60
        October 21, 2012 at 11:28 am

MSNBainC.

• 79 sabreen60
          October 21, 2012 at 11:44 am

Actually, a more important story that is getting some play on Twitter is the connection between Romney, Tagg, Bain and the the voting machines – especially those in Ohio. Why is Romney so confident that he is going to win? Every independent investigator who looks at this story are putting up red flags. Republicans run Ohio, from the Governor, States Attorney to the legislator. Ohio has cheated before with these machines. This is my one true worry. If Romney wins Ohio, he has stolen it. If the machines are programmed to flip, who would know? I’m not sure if Ohio is one of the 19 states that eliminated exit polls, but with no exit polls it’s even harder to tell how accurate the voting is. I really don’t like this. Actually, I need someone to talk me off the ledge!

• 80 Left-Indie
            October 21, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Comcast owns them now. GE used to.

• 81 HZ
            October 21, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Sabreen60, you are going to be just fine. Now come away from the “ledge” and allow your space to be filled with the knowledge of what you know about POB. Are you coming into your space? Slowly, calmly, and believing that DOJ and POB will not allow the rights of the citizens who are being served by them to steal their votes.

Our civil rights dept. at DOJ will be all over this mess. We are not in the age of 2000 and 2004. Plus, we have a new president who lawyered for civil rights for many, many years, and he and AG Holder are awake.

We have so much going for us. DOJ, lawyers are all over this country doing their jobs in protecting the sacred rights, the Vote.

Be peaceful and much as you can and do not allow this mess, even though it will try to dominate our minds at times, destroy your hard work, your hope, and the victory of goodness during this election.

Sabreen60, too many people gave their very lives for the sacred right to be exercised. And now that we have so much awareness and are able to make things go viral, we will work toward that goal to NOT allow Anyone to stop us now.

I hope you will be fine, because I am trusting as I work along with you and all of us to do our jobs to bring this home for POB and VPBiden. Ok. Good, calmness and trust. We will have much to say, if anyone tries to steal this from POB. POB is not a fearful man. It is not in his core. And his knowledge and actions will show all of us. Too many hours of sacrifices by so many people, including POB have been put on the line.

Now you enjoy your day, and place your energy in a good space within your spirit and your home. It will be rough, but look at the ‘goodness of energies’ in all of the photos that Chips have at the beginning of the post. That is not a move of accident. That is a space of Hope, not fear in their eyes, hands, and smiles. Place yours there, if you can. I know you will. We are with you.((((((( Calmness of Faith))))))))HZ

• 83 Mae who love our CIC
      October 21, 2012 at 11:15 am

This just shows the ignorance of Chuck Todd. If he were smart, he would be dangerous to the psyche.

October 21, 2012 at 9:08 am

Great pics.

• 85 HZ
      October 21, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Yes, they are amk. So many new faces and returning ones. I look at the “hearts within our basket of freshness of love, hopefulness,” who are joining in on a new path to secure a new and better life for each one of them and their families. It is a wonderful gift to behold.HZ

October 21, 2012 at 9:08 am

So NBC releases their new national poll

Among Registered voters Obama 49, Romney 44
    Among Likely voters, both tied at 47

ROTFLMAO! These “likely voter” screens are something else, aren’t they?

October 21, 2012 at 9:18 am

First of all, didn’t NBC just have a new poll Friday? I admit it what is the difference between registered voters and likely voters? I have had it with Chuck Todd along time ago. He is just like David Gregory and I have no respect for either one. He has nothing I want to hear.

October 21, 2012 at 9:20 am

Explain to me, just what are they saying. With this registered voter and likely voter.

• October 21, 2012 at 9:27 am

People who are registered to vote don’t always translate into votes.

Each polling organization uses a different definition of “likely voters.” In general, it tries to get at the history of voting of individuals, such as did they vote in the last election, do they know the location of their polling place, attention paid to the race.

Here’s an explanantion of the variance among pollsters:

• 90 Vicki Green
          October 21, 2012 at 10:26 am

You are absolutely right to feel frustrated and angry, Anniebella. LV screens are nothing more than move-the-goalposts BS spin.

• 91 relellit
      October 21, 2012 at 12:43 pm

YUP, hopefruit2, the old white conservatives ones who live in the least populated red states.

16. 92 dudette9t9
    October 21, 2012 at 9:10 am

Good Morning Everyone! Thanks for the great photos Chips!

Reminds me of a lot of stuff that I missed. Wow, I’ve got some catching up to do.

17. October 21, 2012 at 9:24 am

Yesterday was the first dress rehearsal day with long days managing a staging area and I have never been so exhausted. Next weekend we go through another two 12-hours days, building up to the four long days on the final weekend. Trying to figure out techniques for keeping alert and functioning. My spirit is so willing and my heart is 100 percent in it, but the old bones are creaking. I’m going to have to recruit a lot of backups for the final push, so there are enough rest breaks to keep going. Funny how much easier it was to push this hard ten or so years ago. If you come from a blue state and have time on your hands, please call your OFA about helping out nearby states that need mucho boots on the ground.

• 94 HZ
      October 21, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Jackie, get some rest when you can, and try to get a few minutes to just sit with a cup of tea/coffee and take a few minutes to inhale and exhale. I understand because I have been there as well. But the “moments to self” are so important to take and come back refresh.

I will put you in my space of love, my dear one. You are so terrific.(((((( Sweetness dwell within your space))))))))HZ

18. October 21, 2012 at 9:28 am

Our thoughts and prayers are with your m-i-l and your family, Japa.

October 21, 2012 at 9:35 am

I have spent two days with my saudi engineer clients. During the lunch hosted by me today, they both came out fuming against their rulers. One of them said “Now, I can speak freely. We hate our ‘princes’. Those were his actual words. “They sell our oil for trillions and leave us with peanut change, while taking away all the trillions”.

I was quite shocked at their vehemence considering that this is our first meeting. These are not radicals, mind you, these are well educated and very smart engineers. They said the saudi citizens are holding back since they still respect their king and once he dies (he is something like 96), all hell will break loose since most saudis hate their ‘princes’. Contrary to the common stereotyping of muslims radicals, I found them keen on learning about our religion and our customs and practices.

I am glad that PBO is not walking “hand in hand” with such dictators unlike that punk dubya.

20. 101 Bill R.
    October 21, 2012 at 9:46 am

Breaking- President Obama surging to five point lead with registered voters. 49-44 % +5 Obama. That would have been the headline one month ago with MSNBC. It is my headline! I don’t buy it that younger voters and minorities don’t vote. I don’t buy that “enthusiasm” gap, and the early voting bears that out.

• October 21, 2012 at 9:49 am

Tweet that to Chuck Todd!

• 103 forus50
      October 21, 2012 at 9:57 am

Ignore the cable carnival barkers!!!! And POTUS campaign doesn’t care about national polls as they are meaningless. Polls actually look favorable/good/great in every SWING state but Colorado and Virginia and North Carolina where we are probably tied. But we knew those would be close. How soon we forget that we were originally worrying about Michigan and Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

21. 105 forus50
    October 21, 2012 at 9:49 am

October 21, 2012 at 9:49 am

George McGovern has passed away. RIP

• October 21, 2012 at 10:16 am

I I hope in the next days we can celebrate McGovern the humanitarian and the reformer:

Govern’s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McGovern%E2%80%93Fraser_Commission“>McGovern-Fraser commission ended the tradition of the smokefilled room for presidential candidates and elevated primaries instead. Now all Democrats and Democratic leaning voters could weigh in on a nominee instead of having party bosses choose a candidate behind closed doors.

McGovern also opened up the doors for women and minorities to participate in the Democratic Party. That opening, that led to the flight of a lot of white working class people was often lamented, but now in 2012, the Democrats have a deep bench of talented people to draw on. And as the new demographics are changing America, there is a deep pool of support among them for the Democrats. That’s a reason why Obama starts with a hefty Electoral vote count of over 250 and needs only a few states to get over. That’s a reason why there is the talented Obama in the White House to begin with.

McGovern also fought all his life to end hunger both here and abroad. In 1961 he was the first head of the Food for PeaceProgram. Food was sent to India and all over the world instead of rotting in silos in South Dakota.

In short, McGovern was an underrated politician, far more ethical and far too visionary than his times would allow.

I don’t think he ever met Barack, but he did meet Michelle….

• 108 dudette9t9
        October 21, 2012 at 10:46 am

Thank you for that, Carol.

• 110 jackiegrumbacher
        October 21, 2012 at 11:44 am

McGovern was an intelligent and decent man. He would have made a great and caring president and his wife would have made an all-time top ten first lady. Instead, we got Richard Nixon.

• 111 theo67
        October 21, 2012 at 1:29 pm

He looks very proud to be meeting her in that picture. Thanks for sharing this small biography of George McGovern.

• 112 veryslowwriter
        October 21, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Just finished reading “The Wild Blue” about his experiences as a bomber pilot in WWII. At the ripe old age of 21, he became a pilot and then flew 35 missions. I remember the 1972 campaign. I wish he hadn’t been so modest about his heroism, but that’s how people were in those days.

• 113 mophene
      October 21, 2012 at 11:00 am

Oh No! I just got a little pain in my heart from reading that. He was one of the first politicians that really got me engaged in the process. I still have his concession speech on an old cassette tape. I’m so, so sad. I’m in tears.

• October 21, 2012 at 11:13 am

I was only 16 when he ran, so I never voted for him, but I was so sad he lost. America lost a chance for someone who I feel would have helped heal the wounds of the 1960’s because the youth would have listened to him.

When I heard he was dying, I started reading up on his career, and was surprised to read about all of the good he had done, from Food For Peace and Food Stamps and the School Lunch Program, to his reforming the Democratic Party, to his principled stand against the war. He also gave the opportunity for young Bill Clinton to get his feet wet in politics, along with Gary Hart and so many more.

• 115 Pamela
        October 21, 2012 at 11:54 am

I was 17, a bit too young to vote, but many of my closer people wore buttons and has McGovern bumper stickers. We all walked in the moratoriums and we were all drawn together in a sene of hope, that some level of peace and sanity might be reached in this country. Many of us were very afraid of Nixon, rightly so. Living in the DC area then, going to college, it was a powerful time. I guess that powerful time continues on, as still we fight together to bring peace and sanity to our lives. God Bless Mr. McGovern, and God Bless our President Barack Obama. Candles are burning.

• 116 HZ
          October 21, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Love you dear Pamela. You are so gentle in your spirit and firm in your work and assisting others to fill their space in this journey with hope, love, compassion, and grace. It is a joy to know you here with all of the beautiful spirits. I loaded up on candles last week because I will need them to help all of us get through these last steps on this beautiful journey with POB and VPBiden.
          (((((( Lots of hugs to you, Pamela))))))HZ

• October 21, 2012 at 11:27 am

This marvelous man was on the side of the light rather than the shadows. I always appreciated his support of Wes Clarknin 2000.

• October 21, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Such a fine person. Admired him from the first moment I began reading and listening to him.

#FORWARD

23. 119 forus50
    October 21, 2012 at 9:50 am

So why did he pick Lyin’ Ryan again?? :)

• 120 forus50
      October 21, 2012 at 9:51 am

• 121 forus50
        October 21, 2012 at 10:00 am

Seriously, how does one beat someone who is at 52%? I wonder if Nate Silver is thinking that POTUS should give up on Wisconsin too. :)

• 122 LunarSea
      October 21, 2012 at 2:07 pm

#LyinRyan is the numbers man for the GOP Elite. They picked robme for his money and his total lack of interest in really governing as they just need someone with 5 digits to sign where he’s told to. For neocons a person with no core & no firm stand on anything, coupled with a liar who can throw number out with enough skill to fool the sheep are a winning ticket.

October 21, 2012 at 3:07 pm

And get ‘em to sing America the Beautiful out of key, and abuse the word Freedom (as in: for the white guy), and the sheep are totally convinced.

• 124 HZ
          October 21, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Jacquelineoboomer, I love you. I wanted to go through the tv and slap Willard when he tried to sing that song.

Jacquelineoboomer, you gave me another smile. I will place that one in my “smile basket.” (((Love you))))HZ

• 127 HZ
      October 21, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Thank you DF. You are always finding such great and informative links. Tweeted. (((((Love you, my beautiful one.))))))HZ

24. 128 kathryn kivett
    October 21, 2012 at 10:15 am

About NC, I think there is a substantial amount of white vote for PBO that is VERY silent…why, you ask…b/c the majority of Rep. vote falls into 3 groups….The Angry, KKK wanna be’s, low educated, macho man, camo wearing,(and their Sig. other) scary group….. the “Country Club”, I’m in the Rep. Party status symbol group(may not be in CC but wanna be)….and the extreme pro-life, Evangelical Christian, but hate everything group(hate/Christian????)…….Yes, there are SOME normal socially moderate but physical conservative Republicans left here but it has been my experience that they are being very quiet and most women and some men in that group are appalled but QUIET…in fact, I know 3 personally that b/c they know I am safe have admitted that they are voting PBO…….then we get to the White Dems…..a lot of which are not answering phones and remaining quiet b/c of the 3 groups above……..so I am very Hopeful for NC…

• 129 idon
      October 21, 2012 at 11:45 am

Hi Kathryn, you are so right. I have not any PBO sings in my area which is northern Nevada but when I went to vote, I got knowing smiles and looks. I love your comment and would like to post it to the democratic underground with your permission of course. I ‘ll keep checking back here for your reply :)

25. October 21, 2012 at 10:19 am

The Repblucans are spinning the early vote, saying they are doing better than 08.
    So what? McCain lost by almost ten million votes…

October 21, 2012 at 10:19 am

27. 141 TrumpDog
    October 21, 2012 at 10:19 am

Well ya snooze, ya loose.
    I signed off yesterday with Duddette mentioning the last call sale at the Obama store. Noticed they had the Tory Burch bag at a great price. With 30% coupon + if you bought 2 or more bags you get 40% off, the end price was FANTASTIC. Got off the computer because I had company. Woke up and damnit, all are sold out.
    Congrats to those that got in.
    The Diane von Fustenburg bag is really really good. Very nice, study and ROOMY (I use it sometimes for groceries)
    sigh. Now I’m wishing more that I had got another last night.
    Damnit. :-(

• 142 HZ
      October 21, 2012 at 6:00 pm

TrumpDog, I hear you. I was broke before I went there, and I just did not want to get in trouble with my conscience last night since the gut was already raising its ugly head. I leisurely looked and got out of there really fast.

Maybe my wonderful brother will present me with a very nice birthday present on my birthday at the end of the month, but I shan’t be exposing my desires to him of me taking another look. I am being very good. It was nice, though.HZ

October 21, 2012 at 10:19 am

Fing Columbus Dispatch endorses Robme. Hacks that they are. Why to stand for Ohioans, idjits!

• October 21, 2012 at 10:25 am

read on twitter that they haven’t endorsed a Dem since 1914 or 1916.

October 21, 2012 at 10:32 am

desertflower, who did they endorse in 08? Was it Obama or McCain?

October 21, 2012 at 10:38 am

Don’t worry DF – we’ve got this!

October 21, 2012 at 10:43 am

sanity. :)

• 149 joyfulmeme
          October 21, 2012 at 3:36 pm

The Fort Worth Star Telegram endorsed Romney. That’s a given in Texas. What I found striking is the reason. Not that they found Obama unacceptable because they stated that he has done a good job with the challenges he faced when elected. The reason for the Romney endorsement was they felt that he would be able to move Congress to do something. Even though they felt that the Congress’s make up would not change with a Republican House and a Democratic Senate. That to me says that they feel Democrats will work for the betterment of the country while republicans will not.

Right beside the editorial endorsement was an op-ed from a professor from TCU who argued that Obama was the better choice. I find these pieces astounding considering the attitudes here in Texas.

• 150 Obama Grandmama
            October 21, 2012 at 4:20 pm

The “do” something argument is what I worried about as I do not see the GOPers changing their tactics after this election. So Romney could probably get something done as the Dems have never been as mean spirited as the GOP in blocking everything. BUT “do” something is not necessarily something GOOD. Romney’s something is something dangerous with the foreign policy, with the so called “entitlements” such as Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Obamacare, Education Pell Grants and women’s reproductive rights issues. The “something” he would do is the issue! He would do something for the rich not the rest of us even though he pretends to recognize the needs of the people now in the campaign. Waking up the electorate and getting out the voters is key so we will not have to face Romney “doing” anything.

• 151 theo67
              October 21, 2012 at 4:25 pm

You are so right about the context of the “doing” that this Texas paper is advocating. Movement alone isn’t a good thing – it’s movement in the RIGHT direction that is important. So, the Texas paper thinks it’s ok to reward GOP obstruction? And to stack the Supreme Court with ideologues who will reverse 100 years of progress in this country? They think it’s better to have Romney start wars rather than to have President Obama end them? To run up the deficit, increase the military with useless weapons, to deregulate the country and possibly plunge it back into depression? To send millions back into not having the hope of health insurance and to end the safety of having an EPA or the possibility of education under the public education system? They are so short-sighted. Yes, Romney will definitely do something – he’ll destroy this country. And there won’t be a President Obama to save it this time.

29. 152 Vicky
    October 21, 2012 at 10:24 am

TODers, I haven’t mastered Twitter yet. Would those of you who Tweet please pass this powerful video on? I would love to see it go viral: http://www.onetermmore.com/video_subtitles.html

• 153 mtmarilyn
      October 21, 2012 at 11:12 am

Just tweeted it. I had seen that before but it needs to be seen again. Thanks for the reminder!

• October 21, 2012 at 11:39 am

I should have added that this is a parody of a song from Les Miserables, one of my favorite musicals, entitled Four More Years.

(Whenever I have to log-in to WordPress my name comes up as Vicky on my first post. Every post that comes up after that I come up as pickle48. 48 for the year of my birth, pickle for my brothers’ childhood name for me. Every summer my dad planted five acres of pickles for my two brothers and me and we picked pickles all summer long. That provided us with our school clothes and spending money. I HATED pickles. So, of course, that is what my brothers called me! At the time I graduated from high school in 1966 my family had a kitchen sink with hot-and- cold running water but we did not have an in- door bathroom until I was in my early 20’s. Despite, or maybe because of the way we grew up, almost all of my family are STAUNCH Republicans. I am the lonely Democrat.)

• 155 theo67
        October 21, 2012 at 1:37 pm

That’s a really interesting story. I hope that over time, as more people see the truth about Democratic policies benefitting everyone, that more and more people abandon this idea that the self-reliant are Republicans and moochers are Democrats. The truth is, people who generally believe in community are Democrats. People who are selfish are more likely to belong to today’s Republican party. If Republican policies were allowed to fully play out, this country would be finished in 10 years. No infrastructure. No allies. No workers (just slaves). No security. No thinkers.

• 156 idon
      October 21, 2012 at 11:53 am

I posted it here last night and suggested it be retweeted too. I think it is the best PBO song so far. awesome!!

• 157 joanshaw
      October 21, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Thank you Vicky. I’ve watched and listened to this elsewhere — over and over — and now have it in my Real Player library. I love it.

• 158 HZ
        October 21, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Hi joanshaw. I have missed you. It is so nice to see you today. I am trying to take my time and read everything. I am still in Rise and Shine. But I am trying to be a great steward with my down time because I am back at it next week.

Great music in service today, and I thought of you since you are a lover of great music. I also hope that some of your music is also a beautiful healing for you. Have you ever seen the wonderful book,”The Healing Energies of Music” by Hal A. Lungerman? Great read to have in your library along with your music library. Hope you take a look at this one. Love you, and please keep well. HZ

October 21, 2012 at 10:27 am

Team Obama is kicking ass in Wisconsin. Read the article and listen to the radio ad.

• 160 AnitaW
      October 21, 2012 at 11:33 am

This is really interesting because California supporters actually made calls to WI yesterday. First time for my office as far as I know. Off to OFA to make calls and enter data. Check ya’ll later.

• October 21, 2012 at 11:45 am

On Wisconsin! I am voting tomorrow!!!! My husband will vote on Tuesday. And my oldest grandchild, in her freshman year of college, is eager to vote for her GOBAMA! It will be her. ery first vote – and one I am quite sure she will remember her entire life. She and I attended Biden’s visit to Eau Claire together. She spent most of the time texting her friends and posting to Facebook!

October 21, 2012 at 10:38 am

Okay, so I’m a couple of hours late! /a bit on the defensive/ So what? It’s still a beautiful, sunny Sunday Morning where I am. /that should be a preemptive strike on Amk. now he’ll have nothing to say. :twisted: /

Good Morning TODville (or Evening, depending on your location)! Happy Sunday Morning! Good Afternoon Ms Chips – wherever you are! ;) ;)

32. 165 Bill R.
    October 21, 2012 at 10:39 am

Respected analyst and electoral vote forecaster. I check his site and get his tweets: http://www.cabpolitical.com/electoral-forecast/
    His present forecast, PBO at 303 EVs, Romney at 235

33. 168 dotster3
    October 21, 2012 at 10:42 am

OT Break—for those who missed it, Bruno Mars was terrific with his musical SNL opening monologue (also later doing multiple musical impressions)

34. 170 donna dem 4 obama
    October 21, 2012 at 10:46 am

Absolutely outstanding week in review Ms. Chips!

Thank you for the pictorial inspiration. My time is limited as we close out this election but my brief moments here keep me informed and moving FORWARD!!!!!!

Just a word before I leave you today…

A bunch of us volunteers received an SOS message last night from a good friend of mine. Some of you TOD’ers from PA my know him. He is Phil Gaskin, the Regional Field Director for OFA PA. He has given me permission to share his message because he got word yesterday that Romney and the RNC are sending 60+ Staffers to Pennsylvania (they are doing the same thing with OH). They are trying to break our firewalls.

Phils message:

“From CA to PA, anywhere, everyone come on to PA! Now is the time you’ve been waiting for. Get off line and get on the good foot to Philly and help us turn this thing out. I can get free housing for you…you don’t need a car when you get here…just “git” here! Who’s IN? Spread the word for me … FORWARD”

I am not able to go myself because of my job and I’m needed here in my area for Virginia. If any of you in NJ, NY, DE or PA have been hesitant to get involved now is the time. Send me an email at donnadem4obama@gmail.com and I can give you the contact information.

Let me share with you that in states like Ohio, Nevada, Iowa, NC and CO OFA’s outreach can be more targeted the last 10 days of GOTV because of the early voters. But states like Virginia and PA that don’t really have an early voting period will have to be more intensive and old school boots on the ground and calling people reminding them to vote because they only have that one day to vote unless they were eligible to vote by absentee ballot.

One hour each day making calls to any of the battleground states asking for their support of the President and reminding them where to vote can make all the difference this year.

Chips can you please post the https://barackobama/gotv link each day until the election?

Remember the words of one of my Team Leaders:

“Keep your head down (reading call sheets), your nose to the grindstone (making contact with voters) and your boots on the ground (turning out the vote). The rest is all noise.”

I’d love to see this blog declared the #NoRegretsZone2012. How this election turns out will not be decided by the pundits or endless daily tracking polls, a debate or any other distraction. It will be decided by what each one of us does over the next two weeks. Chart your course to victory for the next two weeks and we will all get to celebrate here on election night.

We’ve come to far too turn back now. Have a great Productive O’Day Everyone!!!

• 171 prettyfoot58
      October 21, 2012 at 11:10 am

Thissssssssssss and Thissssssssssssssss and thisssssssssssss!!!

Presssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ON!!!!!!!!!

We CAN MAKE IF IF WE TRY!!!!

October 21, 2012 at 10:50 am

This is so freaking true. Same thought runs through my mind whenever I see the ad.

October 21, 2012 at 10:53 am

LMAO!

37. October 21, 2012 at 10:53 am

WOW! Stef Cutter just annihilated Kevin Maddon on FTN.
    This was incredible.
    OMG!!!

• October 21, 2012 at 10:56 am

And she hot all that stuff out there, while the debate moderator was 2 feet away.
      Awesome!
      Albeit, it was all on the economy, that stuff needed to get out there. She shut down Kevin Maddon. LOL!

October 21, 2012 at 10:55 am

Nice reminder of how far we’ve come with jobs….

October 21, 2012 at 10:57 am

October 21, 2012 at 11:04 am

If this is accurage, than it looks like even David Axelrod is getting annoyed with Chuck Todd’s nonstop shilling for Romney under the guise of poll reporting…

41. October 21, 2012 at 11:04 am

Don’t love Tweety, but enJOYing the PBO documentary… THX for the link TOD family

42. 185 Bill R.
    October 21, 2012 at 11:10 am

• 186 criquet
      October 21, 2012 at 12:05 pm

For some comparison:

The poll, conducted by Hart/McInturff, shows that 48 percent of registered voters back Bush, 46 percent support Kerry, and 2 percent side with Independent Ralph Nader. Those numbers are virtually unchanged from the September survey, which had Bush at 48 percent, Kerry at 45 percent and Nader at 2 percent.
      But among likely voters (defined as those expressing a high level of interest in the November election, representing 82 percent of the survey), this new poll finds Bush and Kerry tied at 48 percent each, and Nader at 1 percent. That’s a change from September, when Bush led Kerry among likely voters, 50-46 percent.

Link to Go Back in Time to 2004
      FYI, they did one more poll on Oct 30, 2004. That showed Bush +1 among LV, 48 Bush, 47 Kerry.

• 187 mophene
        October 21, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Remember how that turned out. If 2000 wasn’t bad enough, 2004 was a another damned 4 year nightmare. No WMDs and the little creep still slid into the W.H., over the war hero.

43. 188 dudette9t9
    October 21, 2012 at 11:18 am

October 21, 2012 at 11:20 am

45. 190 forus50
    October 21, 2012 at 11:20 am

46. 192 Ladyhawke
    October 21, 2012 at 11:30 am

Lis Smith ‏@Lis_Smith

——————————–

On #MTP, @MarcoRubio confirms that @MittRomney would sign a bill banning abortion.

————————————-

47. 197 Ladyhawke
    October 21, 2012 at 11:37 am

Romney cashed in big time when Obama saved the auto industry

by Eclectablog

————————————-

Greg Palast has a article in The Nation this week that should be blowing the lid off the Romney campaign. Sadly, it’s getting scant attention. The article, “Mitt Romney’s Bailout Bonanza”, shows how hedge fun managers manipulated the rescue of the auto industry in order to cash in heavily and earn millions in profits, paid for entirely by the American tax payers. In the process, they stripped workers of both their pensions and their union protections.

The sad part is, if we hadn’t bailed out Chrysler and GM, these vulture capitalist friends of Mitt Romney probably would have figured out a way to cash in even more.

—————————————

48. 198 Ladyhawke
    October 21, 2012 at 11:42 am

Cleveland Plain Dealer Endorses Obama, Criticizes GOP Belligerence and Swagger

By: Sarah Jones

—————————————

Newspaper endorsements might not seem important in the larger context of an election, but they can have an important impact locally, where they are viewed as a trusted source of information. This is just one of many endorsements flooding in for the President this week, and they’ve all been thoughtful, important reads in the sense that they provide an overview of how newspaper editors, who follow politics closely, view the actions of our elected officials.

Editorial endorsements offer us a chance at the big picture, instead of the 24 hour cable news cycle race. For this reason alone, it’s worth noting how many of them mention the President’s calm, steady leadership, the obstructionism of the Republican Congress (specifically the House where Ryan resides), the unnerving changes of Mitt Romney’s positions on domestic issues and his damaging swagger on foreign policy.

————————-

October 21, 2012 at 11:47 am

Did Jefferson Obama ALWAYS have this site??

50. October 21, 2012 at 12:00 pm

53. 219 dotster3
    October 21, 2012 at 12:08 pm

54. 221 dotster3
    October 21, 2012 at 12:15 pm

October 21, 2012 at 12:16 pm

56. October 21, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Happy Sunday all you O’s!!!!! What a great getting up day once again in TODville wouldn’t you say!?!?!! So now that we’re a mere 3 weeks away from the big party, how about we do more GOTV, and less emphasizing of what Chuck Todd and his ilk has to say? It’s demoralizing and serves no purpose at all to bring that stuff here. This blog is called The Obama Diary, not the ‘Oh Noes the MSM Done Me Wrong!!’. I think more emphasis on PBO and the good news that’s happening in the campaign is much more useful and encouraging.

My political take today is in the words of the blueberry pie guy, the Rev Al Sharpton, ‘they’re trying to use boogeyman politics, we should have gotten over boogeyman politics a long time ago.’ He also said once that social media, blogs, and the like are great for communicating and organization building, but it does nothing in actually getting the work done. If you don’t actually do something, then you are just a keyboard warrior. If you can’t put your feet on the ground, then donate, if you can’t donate, then sign up on the OFA dashboard and make calls. There’s not enough time left to sit around in the bubble of our own echo chamber. Each of us owe each other and those who aren’t as politically tuned in to move this thing FORWARD!

57. October 21, 2012 at 12:36 pm

58. 230 dudette9t9
    October 21, 2012 at 12:37 pm

59. 232 forus50
    October 21, 2012 at 12:38 pm

60. October 21, 2012 at 12:46 pm

You guys should straighten him out!

• 234 theo67
      October 21, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Someone mentioned on one of these radio shows a few weeks ago that the problem with third party candidates is that they have no infrastructure of support. The Republicans have spent forty years building up a strong infrastructure of support from dog catcher to local councillors, to mayors, governors, assemblymen and women, to the US Congress. They’re able to amplify their effect of obstruction or policy at all levels. Democrats aren’t as sophisticated, but they’ve got some support at many levels. Third party wouldn’t have any power at all. So, while President Obama and the Democrats have been obstructed by one party, imagine how bad it would be to be obstructed by two parties! Even if a third party candidate was able to split enough votes to get elected, they’d be completely powerless, and the government would grind to even more of a complete halt that it is now. That’s why these third party advocates are dreaming.

October 21, 2012 at 12:47 pm

THIS IS FROM FORBES!!!!!!!! http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhartung/2012/10/10/want-a-better-economy-history-says-vote-democrat/

Pass this around. :) Something must be in the water over there!

• 236 mtmarilyn
      October 21, 2012 at 1:22 pm

WOW, DF, that is one great article. I tweeted it and will pass it around via email. Even the comments are great to read. The authors actually reply to the comments. I encourage everyone to read this article.

October 21, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Thanks, MM:) Happy Sunday….that’s the second article I’ve read in Forbes this week that was a 180 from their normal RW talking points!

• 238 dudette9t9
          October 21, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Yep. Maybe the RW brainwave signal was shut down briefly

• 240 LunarSea
          October 21, 2012 at 4:35 pm

May be rats leaving a sinking ship. Seriously for all their rhetoric they are making $$ hands over fist even while the rest of us scrape by. They probably thought robme could get them even more but are now seeing that a $.99 cent p/hr citizenry won’t be good for their bottom line. We won’t have crappola to spent. Heck they can’t be ‘bailed out’ with tax dollars either anymore either.

I imagine them meeting in dark rooms trying to decide how to play their hands to maximize profits because I find it hard to believe they’ve gotten a ‘come to Jesus’ moment

October 21, 2012 at 12:53 pm

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Elizabeth Alvisar is exactly the sort of voter Mitt Romney needs.

A victim of the brutal economy in this swing state, the 30-year-old tax preparer has been out of work for months. She’s a foe of abortion and gay marriage, and was naturally drawn to the Republican ticket.

But Alvisar has switched her support to President Barack Obama now.

‘‘It’s just because of the Dream Act,’’ she said, referring to the president’s August executive order that allows people brought into the country illegally as children to avoid deportation if they graduate high school or join the military. ‘‘I have a lot of friends who’ve taken advantage of that opportunity.’’

In the heavily Hispanic neighborhood where Alvisar lives, unemployment is high and home values are down. But Obama’s immigration stance, and especially his executive order, has locked in support from a fast-growing demographic group that has been trending sharply Democratic in the wake of increasingly hard-line Republican positions on immigration.

Obama’s campaign is counting on Hispanics providing the margin of victory not just in Nevada, but also in other swing states such as Colorado, Iowa, Virginia and North Carolina

‘‘They know that he’s on the right side of the immigration issue and wants to work with Congress for comprehensive immigration reform,’’ deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter said. ‘‘They know he wakes up every day and thinks about how to secure the middle class and make it easier for young people to enter the middle class.’’

63. October 21, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Talking about GOTV; I’m in so. CA and I’m going to phonebank today. The campaign has rented a big building around here and consolidated a lot of smaller groups. I heard from my phonebank coordinator that the phonebank is open from 9 AM to 9 PM. She said yesterday by 10 AM, there were 2,000 calls made. GOTV!

October 21, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Little shitstains. http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/10/21/1147503/-FL-TeaParty-group-encouraging-wingnuts-to-sabotage-Obama-phonebanking-efforts

A small Florida-based Tea Party group, Lee912, is urging Republicans to sabotage a key Obama campaign organizing tool, an online feature that allows supporters to access a list of phone numbers and place calls on behalf of the campaign from home.
    Posting on the website, Meetup.com, the group’s founder — Dr. Joe Magnant, a vein specialist practicing in Fort Meyers, Fla. — asked Lee912 members Thursday to use the Obama phone list to campaign for Romney.

Magnant suggests callers make the case directly for the Romney-Ryan ticket or just mark the voter as “already called” (“This will remove them from their call list,” Magnant explains).

buzzfeed.com

If you don’t want to click on DK, here’s the Buzzfeed link: http://www.buzzfeed.com/rubycramer/tea-party-group-plans-obama-phone-bank-sabotage

October 21, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Joy Ann Reid is a class act and a model that the rest should follow. I’m glad when other media pundits call out their fellow pundits who are out of line – instead of cowardly going along with their garbage spin.

66. 252 dudette9t9
    October 21, 2012 at 1:21 pm

WOOT! L.A. Times endorses PBO!!

67. 254 relellit
    October 21, 2012 at 1:23 pm

japa21
    I am sorry to her about your mil. Somehow, I feel in my heart she will make it too that day. My thoughts will be with you and your family.

68. October 21, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Good Morning TOD friends!

OT: I went to see Tally’s event at the Huntington Library last night and it was once again fantastic. It was so nice to see our lovely and lively Tally in person.

October 21, 2012 at 2:07 pm

• 260 carla4obama
      October 21, 2012 at 2:14 pm

BD/TIPP 2012 Presidential Election
      Daily Tracking Poll
      Day 13: Oct. 21, 2012
      Obama: +5.7
      Obama 47.9% | Romney 42.2%
      Obama has opened up a 6-point lead over Romney in our latest poll, his largest lead yet.
      Some 8.1% of those polled said they were “not sure” whom they would vote for, also the largest percentage yet.
      Obama’s lead seemed to build after the second debate, which many mainstream media pundits believe Obama won.
      Self-described “moderates” now prefer Obama over Romney by 22 points, the second largest margin since we began polling.
      Obama holds a hefty 35-point lead among urban dwellers, and a comfortable 5-point lead in the suburbs.

Read More At IBD: http://news.investors.com/special-report/508415-ibdtipp-poll.aspx#ixzz29xUmmt59

• 261 Bill R.
      October 21, 2012 at 2:17 pm

That six points even trumps the 5 point RV lead in the NBC/WSJ poll out today. IBD/TIPP had the most accurate and predictive poll at the time of the 2008 election. For what it’s worth.

70. 264 auni
    October 21, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Dear japa21, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. I have been in your position several times, watching family members slip away. It’s such a “big” event–there aren’t words to describe the combination of love, fear, hope. pain–its just so much. God bless.

71. October 21, 2012 at 2:18 pm

72. October 21, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I certainly hope the campaign dispatches Biden and Clinton to Pennsylvania and Ohio. Dona’s email above is alarming. We cannot trust Romney, Rove and the RNC.

73. 272 mophene
    October 21, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Doesn’t Mitt Romney have the same tool? Remember how some kids hacked the repugs’ fax machine with bogus names to to repeal Obamacare? Buzzfeed showed it live on line as the faxes were coming through. I can’t even repeat some of the names the they sent before the repubs caught on. Can you imagine what these guys would do to Romney. If I were them I would leave it alone. Now is not the time for games.

74. 273 dudette9t9
    October 21, 2012 at 3:00 pm

75. 274 dudette9t9
    October 21, 2012 at 3:05 pm

October 21, 2012 at 3:07 pm

All Romney’s lies SO FAR, lined up in a row…..

77. October 21, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Japa…your M-I-L is in my prayers. Wishing you comfort at this time.

October 21, 2012 at 3:09 pm

How is that possible? If he wins the most votes in the state, doesn’t he win the state? Please help me to understand this – somebody..anybody..

• 278 utaustinliberal
      October 21, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Yep. He wins the majority of votes in OH, he wins the electoral college votes. OH isn’t like ME and NE that does proportional allotment.

• 279 jackiegrumbacher
      October 21, 2012 at 4:00 pm

HF, they’re saying that no matter what the vote, the vote totals will be rigged to favor Romney by the Romney-owned Hartcivic voting machines. I think we all have to actually call the Justice Department next week.

October 21, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Another bout of idiocy from Chuck Todd. Olbermann kindly pointed out his hypocrisy.

October 21, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I was just about to post this! I’m glad that Keith and Joy-Ann have both called out Chuck Todd on this outrageous false equivalency. I hope to see Lawrence, Rev Al or Martin do the same tomorrow!!

• 283 theo67
      October 21, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Chuck Todd is an idiot. When Tagg Romney is shown to own a stake in voting machines, how can Chuck Todd call it a “conspiracy” in the same category as Trump’s racist birther nonsense? This is why there’s a problem with the lack of journalism in this country. They can’t tell reality from fiction anymore.

80. 284 dudette9t9
    October 21, 2012 at 3:12 pm

81. October 21, 2012 at 3:15 pm

82. October 21, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I’m watching my Packers – and the commercials are PACKED with Republican ads – already in 4th quarter and there was only one PBO as in the very beginning. LOts of BS for low-information voters.

• 288 LunarSea
      October 21, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Lots of R women are not buying what gop is selling. This seems to kinda ridicule to them at a time when we should be uniting as one against the war on women.

To be clear: I understand where it’s coming from. My issue is with the signed ‘Republican Women’ part. Wish it would have been signed ‘American Women’.

They are trying so hard to divide us. That’s how they win.

83. October 21, 2012 at 3:25 pm

The woman in the last photo is certainly making sure she gets an armful of Barack!

84. October 21, 2012 at 3:26 pm

85. 291 donna dem 4 obama
    October 21, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Souls to the Polls BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

86. 294 collegekay
    October 21, 2012 at 3:29 pm

87. October 21, 2012 at 3:39 pm

88. October 21, 2012 at 3:43 pm

UPDATE: The Times story has been updated to include Vietor’s statement and to say that the United States and Iran have “agreed in principle” to talks.

• 301 lisalovesobama
      October 21, 2012 at 4:00 pm

say what???!!!!!!!! really? that’s not a retraction. that’s a: “it’s true but for forms’ sake they’re denying it given the delicate nature of the situation.” —- hmmmmm. the question is, which is true? did a too eager staffer run off his mouth and let the cat outta the bag, or is that update a face saving one by the NYT?

• 302 LunarSea
        October 21, 2012 at 4:21 pm

PBO hasn’t been doing any deal making that is not needed (ie not military) for a while now. He said at a meeting some time ago that with the campaign about to begin in earnest, other world leaders were waiting for outcome of election to know who they were dealing with and whether they could in fact reach any deals.

Also Putin said recently, while dissing the GOP as crazy, that they didn’t feel any agreement they reached with PBO would be upheld by a diff admin. So no further negotiations re Eastern Europe’s missile defense agreements for now.

“a second Obama term could help solve disputes over missile defense.” -Putin http://on.wsj.com/PLTp5l There are lots of these we never hear about in #mediafail

I tell you the whole world is holding their breath over the outcome of our elections.

• 303 collegekay
      October 21, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Interesting.

89. October 21, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Interesting; Mayor Bloomberg just released a statement saying Bain does nit qualify Mitt to be President. And then slams Him, for his time there.

• October 21, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Jovie, thanks for the NV link upthread.

Loved this comment from the article:
      Liam Farrell • Rostrevor
      go Obama; speaking from Ireland, the rest of the world needs you. Keep up the efforts.

From Friday:
      “Nevada RT @rossjmiller Number of registered voters up an astounding 138,045 compared with 2010 & up by 49,860 compared with 2008″

“At close of NV registration period, breakdown is 41.9% Dem, 34.7% GOP, 17.4% Non-Partisans, 5.9% other”

“In final 16 days, Dems registered 33K+ in NV, GOP registered just shy of 15K”

90. 306 cman
    October 21, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Last time Beyonce played ‘at last’ at the inaugural ball. I think this time she should play this song.

91. October 21, 2012 at 4:01 pm