Oct

‘Storm Relief’?

… …. …. …. …. …. … …. …. …. …. …. … …. …. …. …. …. … …. …. …. …. …. … …. …. …. …. …. … …. …. …. …. …. … …. …. …. …. …. … …. …. …. …. …. … …. …. …. …. …. … …. …. …. …. …. … …. …. …. …. …. … …. …. …. …. …. … …. …. …. …. …. … …. …. …. …. …. … …. …. …. …. …. … …. …. …. …. …. … …. …. …. …. …. … …. …. …. …. …. … …. …. …. …. …. … …. …. …. …. …. … …. …. …. …. ….

(Daily Beast)

Deaniac83 (The People’s View): Disastrous Response: Romney Campaign Billing Campaign Events as “Storm Relief” Efforts

This is truly disgusting. As Americans on the east coast are battling to stay safe (and in some cases, alive) in the midst of post-tropical cyclone Sandy, Mitt Romney can’t be bothered to hold off campaigning. His campaign first told us that he’s canceling events tomorrow, but then, they told us, nevermind. Oh, and this time, they are going to insult everybody’s intelligence by holding events in Ohio and Wisconsin, and labeling them ‘storm relief.’…

….. the American people don’t need you to hide an Ohio campaign event under the veil of ‘storm relief.’ We need you to stay the hell out of the way while the professionals take care of this. And oh, we need you to explain why it’s such a grand idea to privatize disaster response.

Full post here

Dan Hodges (The UK Telegraph): As the US Eastern Seaboard struggles to come to terms with the impact of Tropical Storm Sandy, presidential election campaigning has been temporarily suspended. “The election can take of itself,” Barack Obama said yesterday evening.

At least, I thought it had been suspended. But I was wrong …. Mitt Romney is to attend a “storm relief event” … Paul Ryan will attend a separate event to “thank volunteers”…

…. Except Paul Ryan isn’t thanking volunteers in New York or Atlantic City. He’s thanking them in the in the pivotal swing state of Wisconsin. And he’s not thanking volunteers actually involved in the relief effort (they’re too busy trying to bring relief to people)…..

And Anne Romney? … she’s attending two “storm relief events” of her own. And where are they being held? Well, knock me down with a feather. Or a hurricane. Anne’s off to Wisconsin and Iowa …. both vital to her husband’s election chances.

What about Mitt Romney himself? His “relief event” is taking place – again purely by chance – in Ohio…..

Full article here

131 Responses to “‘Storm Relief’?”

1. October 30, 2012 at 11:24 am

Thank you President Obama for your exceptional leadership.

2. 6 collegekay
    October 30, 2012 at 11:28 am

Good morning. My power is back thank goodness, but my internet is down. Hope everyone is doing ok.

• October 30, 2012 at 11:30 am

Great to hear from you CK, it must have been the scariest of nights – keep safe.

October 30, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Ck glad to hear you are doing ok. Hope your Internet is restored soon.

• 9 HZ
        October 30, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Oh CollegeKay, so grateful to hear from you. I thought of you last evening and I called out your name this morning in my prayer/meditation time. (((((((( Be careful, and I love you our precious spirit)))))))))HZ

3. 10 yardarm756
    October 30, 2012 at 11:28 am

Top 10 again?

4. 12 Nena20409
    October 30, 2012 at 11:29 am

I don’t EVER like to bring God in elections…..WHY Not? I believe that God has better things to do.

However, God doesn’t like Ugliness. Romney is Nothing but Ugly in a profound way.

• 13 theo67
      October 30, 2012 at 12:43 pm

This is true.

• 14 HZ
        October 30, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Nena, I do respect and understand you so much. And you are so true with your “However.” I really do feel that way as well, and trust me just keep watching this man’s action. God is doing the better things through vessels like us who see good in people and very sincere do good and decents deeds for those in harms way and situations like, what has happened with Sandy. We can’t always wrap our brains around it, but we surely can see with our eyes and then it registers in our spirits that those actions by that person are offensive.HZ

5. 15 Proud Former White House Intern
    October 30, 2012 at 11:29 am

Shameful just wrong on so many levels! In other news Trump is extending the deadline for President Obama to send him his records. Oh joy!

6. 22 Nena20409
    October 30, 2012 at 11:31 am

Well done Bobfr for being 1st.

And Luck has Nothing to do with it…..ha, ha, ha…..You have earned it Sir, with all you awesomeness Work.

7. 24 Jeff
    October 30, 2012 at 11:32 am

I don’t think I’ve loathed McCain as much as I loath the twit.

• 25 pkayden
      October 30, 2012 at 12:20 pm

What has McInsane done now? Ever since he picked Pailin as his running mate, I stopped taking him seriously. He’s pathetic. Did he really think that such a stupid woman was qualified to be the VP of the most powerful country in the world? Shows a serious lack of judgment on his part which he will never live down.

• 26 theo67
      October 30, 2012 at 12:45 pm

My sister said the same thing last night.

October 30, 2012 at 11:32 am

Romney really is giving scumbags a run for their money.

9. 28 Nena20409
    October 30, 2012 at 11:34 am

Those Cakes…..Wow, Chips, my goodness, you have become a Celebrity Cake Maker.

Congratulations. I see a Reality Cake Show in your immediate future. My guess would be right after the Nov 6, 2012 Victory Cake….that are rumored to be underway by YOU, my Lady.

• October 30, 2012 at 11:38 am

Thank you Nena, it’s nice to see my virtual-cake-making brilliance acknowledged. :lol:

• 30 Nena20409
        October 30, 2012 at 12:04 pm

You’re Welcome. But, but, but what about that Rumor? The TODville Inquiry Minds, TOD Twitter Enthusiasts, TOD FaceBook fans and those eagerly Door Watcher for TOD Bulletins would love to spread it World Wide.

10. 31 a4alice
    October 30, 2012 at 11:36 am

Let’s see what happens….

11. 32 Ladyhawke
    October 30, 2012 at 11:37 am

Romney expands false Jeep-to-China ad campaign

By Greg Sargent

———————————-

Mitt Romney’s new television ad suggesting that the auto bailout will result in American jeep jobs getting shipped to China has been widely pilloried by news organizations, both nationally and in Ohio. The Romney campaign’s response: It is expanding the ad campaign.

A Dem source familiar with ad buy info tells me that the Romney campaign has now put a version of the spot on the radio in Toledo, Ohio — the site of a Jeep plant. The buy is roughly $100,000, the source says.

The move seems to confirm that the Romney campaign is making the Jeep-to-China falsehood central to its final push to turn things around in the state. The Romney campaign has explicitly said in the past that it will not let fact checking constrain its messaging, so perhaps it’s not surprising that it appears to be expanding an ad campaign based on a claim that has been widely pilloried by fact checkers.

—————————————-

• 33 pkayden
      October 30, 2012 at 12:30 pm

So if he lies so much to become President, what will stop him from lying to the American people after he becomes President? I am still not getting why he’s doing so well in the national polls and why someone who is a bold faced liar has such a good chance of becoming the most powerful man in the world.

Scary, but I’m hoping that President Obama holds on to his lead in the swing states and is re-elected.

Forward!

• 34 Virginia
        October 30, 2012 at 7:58 pm

This wouldn’t be the first time the American people elected a bold faced Liar. Remember Richard Nixon? Apparently the Republicans are trying to fool another generation of voters. Let’s hope voters know better this time.

12. October 30, 2012 at 11:38 am

With 2.3m Floridians having voted (a quarter of electorate?), Dems lead Reps by more than 41,000 ballots
    The early and absentee-voting reports are in**and Democrats continue to roll up big margins over Republicans now that early voting, in its fourth of eight days, is underway. On Saturday and Sunday, Democrats wiped a lead that Republicans held with absentee ballots (which are typically mailed in).
    As of this morning, Democrats’ led by about 101,000 in early votes while Republicans had a more than 61,000-vote lead. Net Democratic advantage: more than 30,000 ballots. Monday marked the first day of non-weekend early voting, but there was an actual uptick in EV overall. (click here for yesterday’s numbers and analysis. To see previous days, click the Florida Voters hyperlink)
    Monday’s heavy vote could be an anomaly (folks voting Monday because they rested Sunday or thought the polls would be too crowded). Or this could be a sign of the organization that the Obama campaign says it has. We’ll see.
    The numbers are big: 2.2 million people have already voted out of 11.9 million registered voters. If this presidential election is like the others, 75% of the registered voters will cast ballots. So instead of 18% of the electorate having voted, there’s a chance it could be a quarter by now.
    The early vote numbers:
    The totals
    Party       EV/AB          %
    DEM     965,360 43%
    REP     925,182 41%
    IND     374,261 17%
    TOTAL  2,266,118
    There’s another measure of voting (or potential voting) to consider as well: outstanding absentee-ballot requests — those people who have requested ballots and who have either not voted them or not yet mailed them back.
    Party          ABs out             %
    DEM         509,092 40%
    REP         484,114 38%
    IND         278,403 22%
    TOTAL       1,271,609
    **Note: This analysis relies on state data and two major counties, Duval and Palm Beach, weren’t in this morning. Now they are and the post has been updated.

• 36 proudmemberofglobalzero
      October 30, 2012 at 11:44 am

As a clerk I witnessed yesterday,,,people came up to me at work and did have their requested Absentee ballot. The CAN and are surrendering them at the polls to vote in person. My daughter at UTampa…and her friends all mailed their ballots back in. It will be close in FL but I have faith we can join the sane Americans again and vote for President Obama.

October 30, 2012 at 11:38 am

I commend the journalists on twitter who clearly see this for what it is. Pathetically desperate.

• 38 japa21
      October 30, 2012 at 11:44 am

UT, I just read your comment on the last post regarding the event that took place in England on Sunday. It sounded a lot like what we will hear from the GOP next Wednesday after PBO is declared winner. ;)

14. 39 Melissa
    October 30, 2012 at 11:41 am

Oh for cryin’ out loud, these ppl are clowns. Winning isn’t just enough anymore, I want them ANNIHILATED!!

October 30, 2012 at 11:45 am

This is a REAL leader.

• 43 Eveingeorgia
      October 30, 2012 at 11:59 am

I think he’s doing the right thing. If People in Ohio are going to be swayed because he’s doing what a president ought to do, then they weren’t for him anyway.

• October 30, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Precisely, UT (great tweets from you today, as always!!)

#TrustBarack

• October 30, 2012 at 1:53 pm

That is the difference between a leader and a loser. Romney doesn’t give a ‘mitt’ for anyone but himself and his mega rich cronies where as President Obama shows time and time again that he is compassionate toward all and has great leadership qualities. The thought of a Romney presidency scares the s*** out of me and I don’t even live in the USA!!!

16. 47 dotster3
    October 30, 2012 at 11:45 am

I KNOW it’s the right thing to do, with so many in distress, but I still worry about President Obama cancelling events tomorrow in Ohio. Can anyone help me out here? Some comforting, reassuring words, something?

• October 30, 2012 at 11:52 am

Hiya Dotster, it’ll be a pity if the Ohio events are cancelled, but I wouldn’t worry, everyone can see Romney and his pathetic ‘Storm Relief’ events, while PBO gets on with the business of being President. I honestly believe that will count for much more.

• 49 cman
      October 30, 2012 at 11:53 am

The president cannot be out campaigning now. It would look too bad. However, we his foot soldiers can call Ohio. We can dedicate time to calling Ohio and talking to voters. We can make them see the difference between a real leader and a political opportunist, perhaps even more clearly than a campaign speech would. Trust in what is right and fight like hell for it and you will succeed is my moto and I intend to carry it out to the fullest extent right now.

October 30, 2012 at 11:55 am

PBO is already winning Ohio. And both campaigns know it. Romney’s “relief rally” is a sign of utter desperation. And it most likely will backfire.

• October 30, 2012 at 11:58 am

Hi friend, please view it from this perspective – It is the most profound contrast to what Willard is doing and it could not come at a more poignant time, dotster. Most Americans are not cynics and they care about one another. When you have Gov Christie and all the morning yak-yak shows praising the President – well no campaign ad compares to that kind of message.

#TrustBarack He’s Got This

• 52 dotster3
        October 30, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Thanks all. I feel a little bit better. I know Willard looks crass holding his fake “relief” event hours after such devastation. I just worry, to put it mildly, about all these close states. I have to keep reminding myself that most respected numbers guys, if they exist at all, are saying the race is basically the same as it was in June, Obama holding a stable narrow lead in key states. But oy, where did I put that wine bottle? :)

• 53 Pamela
          October 30, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Dotster, I echo the others: PBO has a job to do, he is doing it exceedingly well. Myth has been “self-employed” as a presidential candidate since who knows when. I whole-heartedly support President Obama in all his choices, in all aspects of his vision, and in whichever direction his Heart leads him. Because he lives from the Heart Center, his decisions will always raise him higher. I want to be on that level, wherever he is. Let not fear and illusion could your joy and your mind. You oiw in your own Heart that which is real.

• 54 HZ
        October 30, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Bobfr, thanks for your wisdom. That is how I look at it. POB will take care of the people that he has been given the sacred honor and duty to do. POB is a made of great faith, and he knows he serves a powerful God and a loving people. He shows that daily and that is why we are here with Chips to support him.

Remember, the scripture says, “He will make your enemies your footstools.” I confess: All these years of POB’s serving as our POTUS, I have cried until my eyes were swollen. However, I always came back to my prayer room with one scripture that I pray up to this very day: Psalm: 37. It has been one of my Rocks to get through this presidency. I am not giving up now. We presson and we will move FORWARD.

We extend our hands forth with the best and loving energies to POB and VPBiden this day. He needs that from us as he continues to help in these testing times. We will work as hard as he is working. I promise to call this afternoon and everyday this week. I have one Phonebanking this Sat. So we have each other. Okay. ((((( Love to our beautiful First Family and Second Family.))))))))HZ

• 55 daisydem
      October 30, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I think it is important for him to be in Washington, D.C. right now; focusing on efforts to clean up after Sandy, facilitating the jobs of the various organizations involved and staying in touch with the Governors, Mayors, etc. of the states involved. He is being a President in time of crisis. People will see that … and understand and appreciate that. He has campaigned so hard (in fact, and this is my problem, I feel as though he has had to campaign his entire 3+ years (remember he took Health Care directly to the people with town halls, etc. across the country). He knows best right now and so does his staff; if he were out campaigning, there would be criticism too. I think he is doing the prudent thing and the East Coast needs him right now!

• 58 amk for obama
      October 30, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Because he is a caring man?

• 59 EDP4BHO
      October 30, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Hi TOD. Power back on after 15 hours. Doing fine. As for PBO, he is absolutely doing the right thing by the people. Anyone who is still undecided will remain so at this late hour unless PBO’s army can persuade them. PBO is prudent and not prone to silly optics like the creature who shall remain nameless by me from now until Nov 7th.

• October 30, 2012 at 12:43 pm

It’s the right thing to do, but he should be visible nevertheless. Meaning at least one public statement today and tomorrow.

October 30, 2012 at 11:48 am

• 63 relellit
      October 30, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Oh My Freaking Gawd

utaustinliberal

This one is just as ridiculous too .

Uggggh, I know it is the Sludge Report. But it just ties into how the stupid right wingers are being fed. Do they not know the President is doing his job which will help them; contrary to what they are taught to think?

• 64 pkayden
      October 30, 2012 at 12:49 pm

“story relief rally”

Please! Let’s just call a spade a spade. He’s conducting political rallies. Politics as usual for Romneybot 2.0. Such a compassionate man!

18. 66 57andfemale
    October 30, 2012 at 11:48 am

19. October 30, 2012 at 11:50 am

BTW folks, Twitter is being weird and on several instances people I know I’m following have been un-followed. Am going through the list of all those I know I want to continue following and rectifying the issue.

#TrustBarack

20. 68 57andfemale
    October 30, 2012 at 11:50 am

They’ll rolling the RNC footage at the ‘storm relief’ event.

21. October 30, 2012 at 11:51 am

Checking in :-)

No power, down power lines, lots of trees down – many on top of the power lines. So I am without light and water :-) but we are safe and our home is secure. I was so worried about the trees and my home. I am in the office charging our devices for tonight and of course, to grab a shower :-)

I hope everyone in Sandy’s path made it out okay!

22. 76 Eveingeorgia
    October 30, 2012 at 11:54 am

Got back to the last thread too late to say thank you to everyone, soooo…..

@Chips and the awesome TOD. Family: Thank you for the yummy cake and the even yummier picture!

I’m glad our cakes ( HZ”s and mine) survived Chips’ kitchen!

In case you missed it @HZ. Happy Mutual Birthday!!!

October 30, 2012 at 11:57 am

24. 85 99ts
    October 30, 2012 at 11:58 am

I don’t like “the hill” so won’t link – but it seems John McCain wasn’t willing to be part of the “storm relief”

“Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney and his running mate Paul Ryan scheduled “storm relief” events Tuesday after previously canceling planned campaign rallies.

Romney will attend an event in Kettering, Ohio, Tuesday morning with race car driver Richard Petty and country music artist Randy Owen. He had previously scheduled a campaign rally at the same site with Petty, Owen and Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) on Tuesday afternoon, but later scrapped the campaign events out of deference to those in the path of Hurricane Sandy.”

Never thought I would compare McCain favorably with another candidate.

25. 86 57andfemale
    October 30, 2012 at 11:59 am

26. 87 donna dem 4 obama
    October 30, 2012 at 12:00 pm

We are doing very well in the battleground states ;)

North Carolina

October 30, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Mitt Romney is a cretin.

• 89 99ts
      October 30, 2012 at 12:19 pm

He has NEVER had to do anything serious in his life – 2 years living in a castle in France was just like serving in Vietnam – from Myth’s view of the world. FAIL and FAIL

28. 90 donna dem 4 obama
    October 30, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Florida

29. October 30, 2012 at 12:02 pm

30. 92 donna dem 4 obama
    October 30, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Ohio

31. 93 57andfemale
    October 30, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Romney is a sociopath. Seriously. he should be committed:

32. 94 donna dem 4 obama
    October 30, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Iowa and Nevada

October 30, 2012 at 12:10 pm

October 30, 2012 at 12:15 pm

35. 97 57andfemale
    October 30, 2012 at 12:15 pm

36. 98 57andfemale
    October 30, 2012 at 12:16 pm

37. 99 squarepeg
    October 30, 2012 at 12:19 pm

October 30, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Thanks squarepeg. He will probably follow up with a presser to update us on the situation later this afternoon.

October 30, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Class act.

39. October 30, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I don’t think 140 characters could encapsulate my hatred for Willard and his voters. They are beyond reprehensible.

• 103 57andfemale
      October 30, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I hear ya. How’s your wife doing, LL?

• 106 theo67
      October 30, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I looked in the thesaurus for a word to describe my loathing of Romney, his wife and sons, and their reprehensible followers and supporters. A word didn’t exist that would do it justice. I am settling with “craven”.

• 107 Obama Grandmama
        October 30, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I remember how much I did not want McCain to win the WH due to the GOP policies and his racist VP pick who riled up her rallies and most of all knew nothing to prepare her to step in as Prez. Now I compare my feelings to the fear I had before and I see how much stronger my feelings are this time around. I have come to loath Willard Mitt Romney. The statement he will do or say anything to win is too mild and does not portray the dangerous reality it encompasses. What makes people think that a person that is secretive and capable of continually lying even in the face of being called out with facts could keep us safe and have our best interests at heart? We would be back to low or no esteem in the world setting with allies and enemies alike disrespecting and disbeliefing us. I could go on and on about how this time it is crucial this man loses.

• 108 theo67
          October 30, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I keep hearing those words over and over again from so many people. Right leaning friends who say there’s no way Romney will win. Family who say their loathing of Romney exceeds anything felt for McCain and his grifter. And I also believe that no matter how much thinking people loathe Romney, they would never inflict upon the country such risk as the GOP have done, and would never consider voting against a qualified candidate simply to put out the one they hate.

• 109 andogriff
        October 30, 2012 at 4:54 pm

“Craven” is an excellent word, Theo!

• 110 theo67
          October 30, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I have to give credit to my little sister – who was also struggling for a word. Craven describes Mitt. We’re still looking for an adequate word to describe our loathing, though.

October 30, 2012 at 1:35 pm

From my admittedly very personal perspective, loathing the Romneys would require more energy than I’m prepared to expend on their behalf. I see them more as a species I’d never before encountered (at least not under close-up scrutiny) and each of their action is placed in my mental research notes. I long, long, long ago reached the point where anything they do surprises me. My notes are extremely long yet remarkedly one-sided. If they surprise me before, or by, Nov. 6 I’ll let you all know. We have seen enough that we can all agree they are heartless, soul-less, homour-less and classless, and do not deserve to me anywhere near 1600. Plus, nothing I have seen suggests they could handle the job. I have to believe that enough Americans are sane enough to see what we have seen and to vote accordingly regardless of the media, the money, or the hatred. This is part of American exceptionalism, or it should be!

40. 112 donna dem 4 obama
    October 30, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Me too josh :roll:

October 30, 2012 at 12:26 pm

You stay classy Mitt Romney.

42. 122 Mae who love our CIC
    October 30, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Willard is a vulture, always looking for an opportunity to go for the kill. When folk are facing despair, you can count on him to try to capitalize on their life’s circumstances. He has no shame.
    I am glad our President has the unique title among other titles that, OBAMACARES!

Hoping that the east coasters are safe and well. Keep your heads up. We can get more things and more real estate. This too shall pass.

October 30, 2012 at 12:29 pm

44. 124 Bill R.
    October 30, 2012 at 12:32 pm

October 30, 2012 at 12:32 pm

October 30, 2012 at 12:33 pm

47. October 30, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Goooood Daaaay to all my O peeps on this great getting up day on the TOD stoop!! I’m so happy to hear from our east coast TODsters that all is well.

I’m also glad that there are no polls taking place because of the storm. Those who are still polling are not getting about 25% of the populace. So yay to that. Now, if we can just shut the pundits up for a few days, we may survive this roller coaster ride. FORWARD y’all!!!

My political take today is ^^^^^^

48. 130 criquet
    October 30, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Hello all. Hope everyone is safe including family and friends.

Just wanted to post that because of the Jeep ad that Romney is running now on radio and TV in Ohio and some say Michigan too, Chrysler has written a letter to the Editor of the Detroit News about the claim being false:

This paper endorsed Romney. The irony of it all.

Bottom line, more and more people are coming out to expose the liar.

49. October 30, 2012 at 12:54 pm

But but but they all have infected feet from the broken glass and…

RSS OFA