Nov

Rise and Shine

Des Moines, Nov 5

E.J. Dionne: The 2012 campaign began on Aug. 2, 2011, when President Obama signed the deal ending the debt-ceiling fiasco. At that moment, the president relinquished his last illusions that the current, radical version of the Republican Party could be dealt with as a governing partner. From then on, Obama was determined to fight — and to win.

It was the right choice, the only alternative to capitulation. A Republican majority both inspired and intimidated by the tea party was demanding that Obama renounce every principle dear to him about the role of government in 21st-century America. And so he set out to defeat those who threatened to bring back the economic policies of the 1890s.

…. Romney may have flipped and flopped and flipped again on issues he didn’t care about, but his view of American capitalism and American government never wavered. If Teddy Roosevelt fought against the policies of the Gilded Age, Obama is fighting a Republican Party determined to bring the Gilded Age back and undo the achievements of a century.

And so, beneath the attacks, the counterattacks, and the billions invested by small numbers of the very rich to sway the undecided, we face a choice on Tuesday that is worthy of a great democracy. My hunch is that the country will not go backward, because that’s not what Americans do.

Full article here

You can see the President’s ESPN speech here

OFA

OFA

Instagram

Des Moines, Nov 5

Cagle

Morning everyone – let’s do this.

195 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 17 Proud Former White House Intern
    November 6, 2012 at 8:52 am

• 18 daisydem
      November 6, 2012 at 10:55 am

I did. With tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat, because I care so much for this President and this administration and our rights and … well, you know, everything. Going to try and tough it out here at the office today. Will be living on this wonderful blog with all of you wonderful people and Chips all day. Then go home, put on pj’s, pour the wine, fix a snack and again, log on to TOD. Love to all of you.

2. 19 FoxfireTX
    November 6, 2012 at 8:53 am

GM Peeps! Happy Election Day! Forward.

3. 20 pinkbunny92
    November 6, 2012 at 8:53 am

Morning Everyone!! Let’s BRING THIS ELECTION HOME!

4. 21 Beverly
    November 6, 2012 at 8:53 am

Good Morning, and best wishes to all today.

November 6, 2012 at 8:54 am

Alright – let’s do this!!

G’morning to Chips, TOD, lurkers everyone; congratulations Berny on #1, and Happy Election Day everyone!! :)

6. November 6, 2012 at 8:54 am

Hey there, Forus. The state I referenced is RI.

November 6, 2012 at 8:55 am

FIRED UP!! READY TO VOTE!!!!

8. November 6, 2012 at 8:55 am

HEY I WAS IN THE SHOWER! NO FAIR!!

J/K! What a GREAT DAY THIS WILL BE!!!

• November 6, 2012 at 9:06 am

Hi DF. I am so naive as I cannot understand how people want to vote the same way as corporations. The big money flowing into the Romney campaign is enough for me to want to vote for the other guy, regardless of who it would be and because of the President’s accomplishments the vote is even clearer.

November 6, 2012 at 9:09 am

They have no critical thinking skills. If we don’t correct this as a society, evolution will take care of it. NOT in a good way!

November 6, 2012 at 9:08 am

A taste…

Worse, they’ve managed to hector the for-profit news media into capitulating to their fictioneering — offering it equal billing alongside actual science, empirical data and historical facts. Consequently, the press refused to probe the party’s ongoing voter disenfranchisement, suppression and intimidation effort, and it allowed Romney to make it to Election Day without releasing his full slate of tax returns. If anyone should’ve been forced to disclose his financial history, it’s Romney whose wealth was accumulated through similarly elusive and labyrinthine techniques — carefully slithering through the tiniest legal loopholes — not unlike the Wall Street bankers who nearly destroyed the economy. In spite of the party’s laughable denial of the climate crisis, their crusade for government-mandated transvaginal ultrasounds, their death panels, their Southern Strategy racism, their attempts to deconstruct the word “rape,” their astroturf protests, their staged non-rally rally food drives, their Jim Crow laws and their economic sabotage, the press still regards them as a very serious party deserving of respect and deference.

9. 33 Pamela
    November 6, 2012 at 8:59 am

This is it! Re-Election Day! This day will rank high in our history, perhaps even higher than November 4, 2008! Will be with you all as much as I can! Surely by tonight I will be raising a glass of that Veuve I have chillin since the weekend! {{{{{{Chipsticks}}}}}}} {{{{{{{{PBO}}}}}}}} {{{{TOD}}}}

November 6, 2012 at 8:59 am
  11. November 6, 2012 at 9:00 am

Good morning TOD`sters. This is our election for the taking. President Obama will serve another 4 years. My daughter voted in her first presidential election and took her friend which just turned 18 as well.

12. 36 yardarm756
    November 6, 2012 at 9:01 am

Reveille, reveille. Heave your sorry butts outta those racks. Clean up all decks fore and aft. Prepare the quarterdeck for the arrival of our Commander-in-Chief.

November 6, 2012 at 9:06 am

That’s how my husband used to wake the kids up:) I would have decked him if he ever tried that “reveille” stunt on me:)

• 40 Pamela
      November 6, 2012 at 9:14 am

Aye aye Sir! Some of us may have been up and at it before some of y’all (no names mentioned here!) :lol:

• 42 Obama Grandmama
      November 6, 2012 at 1:35 pm

That reminds me of my late Dad who always woke us up with “Up and At ‘Em!” I hated hearing that every morning but remember it fondly now. The last one up had to get Mom up. That was usually me as I was the oldest had to take Mom her coffee and get her up and my younger brothers loved getting up. That was a punishment as she was not a morning person and hated getting up to get ready to go off to work.

November 6, 2012 at 9:03 am

GM Chips. Great toon.

Yes, GOT(F)V. Nothing else matters today.

November 6, 2012 at 9:03 am

Happy Election Day! Let’s go WIN this!

15. 47 Betsy
    November 6, 2012 at 9:05 am

So excited! Good Morning TOD family, Chipsticks, thank ou so much for this site. It has kept me sane since I discovered it through BWD. I appreciate all that you have done for iPBO and for us.

November 6, 2012 at 9:06 am
  17. 49 sherijr
    November 6, 2012 at 9:06 am

Happy Election Day ~ We’ve got this.. it is all in our hands today.

18. 50 obamalia
    November 6, 2012 at 9:07 am

Good morning Chips and TOD family -what a great site to go to every evening after working in the campaign office for weeks on end. I just love this site! I can’t thank you enough Chips!!! And the volunteers I met – what fun to meet like minded folks as we helped re-elect our President!

19. November 6, 2012 at 9:07 am

Morning everyone.

Yes, I’m up this freaking early. Pollworkers are here setting up, and I have my absentee ballot ready to turn in. FIRED UP? READY TO GO!

20. November 6, 2012 at 9:07 am

Happy Re-election Day ya’ll. Voters, please ‘do the damn thing’ and bring it on home tonight. Onward,forward!!

21. 54 Kreen
    November 6, 2012 at 9:09 am

Morning TOD family! Just voted! Now on to GOTV! What a splendid day!

22. 55 dudette9t9
    November 6, 2012 at 9:09 am

Happy (RE)-Election Day Everyone! Be Calm, VOTE, and Carry On!

November 6, 2012 at 9:12 am

photo/1

24. November 6, 2012 at 9:12 am

My hubby and I were at the polls when they opened this morning. We waited 1 1/2 to vote and were beaming ear to ear after we proudly cast our ballots for PBO even if it is in red SC lol. It was really sad all the district races that were uncontested. My hubby wrote in “The Lord” lol for the contests with no Dem opponent.

• 60 nospin
      November 6, 2012 at 9:24 am

“It was really sad all the district races that were uncontested. My hubby wrote in “The Lord” lol for the contests with no Dem opponent.”

good on your hubby. lololol

25. 61 prettyfoot58
    November 6, 2012 at 9:12 am

Goooooooood Morning …everyone….GM MsChipssssssss

The Repubs sprang a last minute attempt to cause confusion here in PA……but we will NOT be confused…we will be victorious

heading out to vote then heading into the OFA office….my neighbor told me that there is a line at my polling place….(big smile)…

will be back later today…my champagne is chilling in the refrigerator…beans in the crock pot….

Forwardddddddddddd>>>>>>>>>

• 62 EDP4BHO
      November 6, 2012 at 9:19 am

Just heard one of those creatures saying obviously WE are concerned, to have to send Clinton here yesterday. Whatever ! We just need to get out, and am on my way back out. Be blessed.

November 6, 2012 at 9:12 am

photo/1

November 6, 2012 at 9:12 am

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014292555 WOW…something’s happening here, what it is, ain’t exactly clear…..

Cameron would agree to safe passage out of Syria for Assad

November 6, 2012 at 9:14 am
  29. 67 Smoothscotch
    November 6, 2012 at 9:15 am

Good morning TOD family. And here we go.

November 6, 2012 at 9:16 am

And this! http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014292545

True The Vote Forged Signatures To Get Observers At Ohio Polls

Source: Plunderbund

True The Vote Forged Signatures To Get Observers At Ohio Polls
    by Joseph on November 5, 2012 · 16 Comments

Yesterday we reported that True the Vote was attempting to place observers at precincts in Central Ohio, focusing on African American districts. We also noted that there might be some problems with the forms they submitted to the Franklin County Board of Elections (FCBOE).

The FCBOE met today and determined that True the Vote had likely falsified the forms submitted for general election observers. The new observer forms, filed over the past few days by True the Vote representative (and Hilliard Tea Party Member) Jan Loar, used candidate signatures copied from a previous set of forms filed in early October

All but one of the six candidates whose names appeared on the original form had withdrawn permission to use their signatures prior to the submission of today’s forms. During the BOE meeting Candidate Terri Jamison spoke up to say her name was “forged” on the latest round of forms.

The form for appointing observers reads ‘election falsification is a 5th degree felony’. Election officials have confirmed that there will be a post-election investigation of True the Vote.

In AZ…Jeff Flake has ties to these frauds…he’s now being investigated by the DOJ and the FBI. It’s my fondest wish, that tonight this pond scum will suffer a humiliating, crushing defeat and AZ will have a Dem senator to represent us!!

31. 69 nospin
    November 6, 2012 at 9:18 am

I voted and it felt so good. :-)

32. 71 japa21
    November 6, 2012 at 9:18 am

I am relaxed and ready for an exciting evening. Larry Sabato from UofVA, who tends to be conservative in his estimates, has PBO with a minimum of 290 EVs. Obviously, we would all like to see more and I think we will. But I am chilling out. Have a couple premium beers waiting for me at home. Will be splitting my time this evening between here, several newspaper sites to catch local results for some prime House and Senate races, and a little time with my wife calming her down. She is really worried about tonight because of the way the media has presented everything as a toss-up. I showed her Silver’s and Wang’s sites this AM but she is still nervous.

I still think that around 9 PM EST this will be in the bag. It won’t be officially called for PBO, because they have to wait for the 270 point to be reached, but it will be obvious by then.

November 6, 2012 at 9:19 am

Off to dinner (or to “supper”. 8O 8O 8O).

See ya all later.

34. 86 nospin
    November 6, 2012 at 9:21 am

I woke up this morning, logged onto facebook and asked each of my nieces and nephews to commit to vote if they haven’t already. Then I asked them to each reach out to 5 of their closest friends and get that commitment and asked that they follow up with a note to their facebook followers asking them all go out and vote and then post a picture of their I Voted sticker. Then I asked that they get their friends to commit that same challenge to their own followers.

Within 1 hour, my timeline was lit up with pictures.

Amazing. It is a beautiful thing TOD family.

We are going to win thing. This election has less to do with Obama and more to do with us and our own future.

November 6, 2012 at 9:25 am

awesome!!

• 88 Betsy
      November 6, 2012 at 10:57 am

This is AWESOME. My son (in PA) told me that all of his friends are voting for PBO today; my Daughter told me all but 2 of her friends (in AZ no less) are voting for PBO today, and my other daughter (also in PA) told me that her landlady is voting for PBO today, as are all of her friends, so all have urged people to vote, and I am so excited!

35. 89 vitaminlover
    November 6, 2012 at 9:21 am

Off to vote!

November 6, 2012 at 9:27 am

TP is live blogging election day events…starting now:) However, the picture that is up now…is the Romney’s voting…….

37. November 6, 2012 at 9:28 am

Well heeelllllllooooooo OOOOOOs!!!!!!!! Yes indeedy, it’s a greeeeaaaat getting up day again in TOD town everybody. Wake up everybody no more sleeping in bed….people get ready, there’s a train a’comin. You don’t need no ticket, you just get on board. Yee haw!!! Can you tell I’m excited.

My last daily political take is that I am ROTFLMAO at the pundits. PBOs team is out in force on the morning shows and they’re looking and feeling mighty fine. The pundits are asking the most crazy questions of them. Since I can’t for the life of me set my own hair on fire, I just am having the bestest time watching them squirm. FORWARD! FIRED UP!! READY TO GO!!!! WE GOT THIS!!! FOUR MORE YEARS!!!!

Ok gotta go take my Valium.

38. 101 miss pat
    November 6, 2012 at 9:28 am

Long line, me in heavy coat with my old briefcase with every kind of ID I have, old ones new ones, ones from my native island and my new citizen’s papers. Wanted to make sure they couldn’t turn me back. Was in pain but stood my ground you’d think I was in Florida about to be Zimmermanned.. Nice folks, funny folks on line. One and a half hour wait, took a picture on my tablet don’t know how to upload though.

39. 107 Betsy
    November 6, 2012 at 9:30 am

Off to get ready and vote!!!

November 6, 2012 at 9:32 am
    November 6, 2012 at 9:32 am
    November 6, 2012 at 9:36 am

/Late for the first shift; trying to slide in quietly. Was counting on the fact that the mayoress might have been too tired to get up early so she wouldn’t notice I wasn’t on time. She fooled me….again!/

(THE) MORNING, Ms Chips, TODobots and guests!

Morning/Afternoon/Evening WORLD! Ready for history to continue its magnificent unfolding?

#LANDSLIDE 2012 is now unfurling! :grin: :grin:

43. 116 forus50
    November 6, 2012 at 9:36 am

First time I have seen a promoted Obama hashtag on Twitter. They have #VoteObama up. Awesome!!

44. 118 FoxfireTX
    November 6, 2012 at 9:38 am

Jovie, wanted to let you know you’re still getting support. OFA has me calling FL today. Let’s do this!

November 6, 2012 at 9:41 am

tr

46. 123 Cman
    November 6, 2012 at 9:46 am

I’ve got Edith Child’s voice stuck in my head going ‘fired up, ready to go”.

47. 124 yardarm756
    November 6, 2012 at 9:47 am
  48. 125 Ladyhawke
    November 6, 2012 at 9:50 am

WE ARE ALL “O-AMBASSADORS” NOW – HELPING PRESIDENT OBAMA “CLOSE THE DEAL” AGAIN

Flashback: Before the November 2008 election at a late rally in Springfield, Missouri, then Senator Barack Obama said to his supporters “be my ambassadors” and “close the deal.” Let’s get out the vote so he can finish what he started and keep the country moving FORWARD.

Obama to voters: ‘Be my ambassadors’

————————————-

(CNN) – In the final hours of campaigning, Sen. Barack Obama is urging his supporters to “be my ambassadors” and “close the deal.”

In these last three days, we can’t afford to slow down or sit back or let up … not now, not when there’s so much at stake,” Obama said at a late rally in Springfield, Missouri, his third stop on Saturday.

—————————————

49. November 6, 2012 at 9:52 am

Good old Florida!

50. 127 4morefor44
    November 6, 2012 at 9:52 am

i wish i had drawing skills. i’d make an image in the gadsden flag with the “don’t tread on me” words, that the republicans have falsely co-opted for their insanity, but the snake image would be the long lines of people voting!

51. 129 anniebella
    November 6, 2012 at 9:54 am

Watching POTUS and FLOTUS last night in Iowa was so special..

52. November 6, 2012 at 9:54 am
  53. 136 andogriff
    November 6, 2012 at 9:56 am

Good morning to Ms Chips and to all of you beautiful TOD people, I hope to be in and out today, and to be here tonight with all of you! Such fantastic links, videos and photos…especially the Best. Hug. Ever. from last night. Just heard the whole speech, and was sobbing throughout. The big question of the day: How Can ANYONE NOT vote for this great man????

54. November 6, 2012 at 10:05 am
  55. 138 57andfemale
    November 6, 2012 at 10:07 am

I’m off to vote and then to work. I’m in the middle of Chicago. Usually our turnout sucks because there’s never any drama. I’ll report.

56. 139 nospin
    November 6, 2012 at 10:08 am

For those who missed our President at his final rally, here is the CSPAN link.

57. 140 Bill R.
    November 6, 2012 at 10:09 am

Sam Wang has 312 EVs for Pres. Obama at 100% probability!

Princeton Election Consortium
    A first draft of electoral history

SNAPSHOT as of November 6, 8:02AM EST:Obama: 312Romney: 226Meta-margin: Obama +2.46%RSS
    Probability of Obama re-election: Random Drift 99.2%, Bayesian Prediction 100.0%

58. 141 Roberta in MN
    November 6, 2012 at 10:09 am

Justr got back from voting and taking a car load of seniors from my building. Next trip is 10:00 and then off to the DNC to help picl up and transport people to the voting precints. Only 175 voted so far at ours. Not a good sign for our city, but I am hoping that will change come this afternoon. Good luck to all TOD and to our POTUS. I watched his speech last night in IA, I was crying when he was done. Reminded me of when he announced his candidacy in 2007. I turned on TV this morning and then turned it off. Just couldn’t stand the BS. Love you all and THANK YOU for all you have done on this site. ((((((((((hugs)))))))).

59. November 6, 2012 at 10:11 am
  60. 145 Bill R.
    November 6, 2012 at 10:13 am

PredictWise- 2012 President – Likelihood of Victory
    (Aggregator of Election Futures Markets)

77.1% probability of PBO victory (Betfair 82.3%, Intrade 71.9% Iowa Electronic Markets 79.8%)

61. November 6, 2012 at 10:14 am
    November 6, 2012 at 10:17 am

Here’s my tweet of that ‘valuable’ Maddow segment shared here last night if anyone can make use of it…

63. 148 ber6964
    November 6, 2012 at 10:17 am

Good Morning……..All
    It’s My 55 Birthday……….And Ya All Know What I want for My Birthday Present.
    4 More For 44!!!

64. November 6, 2012 at 10:27 am
  65. 169 cluny
    November 6, 2012 at 10:28 am

Happy Birthday Scorp!

66. November 6, 2012 at 10:33 am

From TPM:

“I’m not very pro-pundit, I have to say,” Silver said. “If pundits were on the ballot against, like, I don’t know, Ebola, I might vote Ebola, or third party.”

67. 172 1jam4pbo
    November 6, 2012 at 10:36 am

Good Morning Miss Chips, Good Morning Tod family. Today is going to be a Good Good Day. Feeling real happy for all of the USA, you are going to be allright. You have the Power.

68. November 6, 2012 at 10:40 am

Happy Election Day, Folks (should be a national holiday in a democracy as old as yours).

Cheering on from the sidelines on the Right Side of the Atlantic !

Get out and show’m :-)

69. 174 ouapiti
    November 6, 2012 at 10:41 am

2 to 3 hour voting line at my polling place in central Harlem since the polls opened this morning. Even though we’re not a swing state, we’re racking up that popular vote. Fired up!

70. November 6, 2012 at 10:44 am

MarketWatch ‏@MarketWatch
    Hypnotic: Watch America vote in real time @facebook #election2012 http://bit.ly/VQDvsj

71. November 6, 2012 at 10:48 am

Just want you all to know how much I’m looking #FORWARD to be building our wonderful future, TOGETHER! – with our RE-ELECTED President Obama.

Yes We Will

• 177 Betsy
      November 6, 2012 at 11:07 am

Yes we will Bobfr. So excited. Champagne waiting at home ready to open at 8pm, CA time!!

• 178 daisydem
      November 6, 2012 at 11:12 am

Oh Bob, I love this tweet. I don’t know that I have heard anyone else use that word “renaissance.” But it is exactly what I said and what I hoped for when we elected Barack Obama as President. I love that he wants to all work together, that he has a focus on the arts as well as science, that education does matter, that roads, and buildings, and trains, and broadband, and healthcare, and (the list goes on and on, yes?) matter to this President. What a wonderful place to live and flourish this country will be if he is reelected and gets to do the things he wants to do.

November 6, 2012 at 10:51 am

So, wasup guyz ?

And Chips, new thread ?

73. November 6, 2012 at 10:56 am

Nice timing!!

74. November 6, 2012 at 10:58 am

From a facebook post: “President Obama will go down in History as one of the most challenged, hardest working and greatest Presidents ever. He will also go down in history as the most disrespected, slandered and obstructed President of all time. We must rise above those that sink to the lowest common denominator of humanity and lift our President up, support him, fight for him and VOTE for him to finish the job he started.”

75. November 6, 2012 at 10:59 am

This is from a voter at DU | Something unexpected happened to me as I voted this morning – Democratic Underground http://demu.gr/10021726427

76. 189 Bill R.
    November 6, 2012 at 11:06 am
  77. November 6, 2012 at 11:25 am

Think I could make a request for today, please? Can people refrain from posting video of random stuff. It makes is very difficult to load the page and refresh the page. So do too many embedded tweets. I’m going to be using a little laptop from a Dems party tonight and it doesn’t have nearly the capability of my home computer. So between trying to read this site and watching twitter crash, my poor little puter is gonna be exhausted. So let’s keep the videos to only stuff we must know today and the embedded tweets limited to pictures of people voting. What do you think?

78. 193 kyle
    November 6, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I just wanted to add my .02 that I did vote and took my 21yr old brother in law with me. I was so thrilled to fill in the circle for PBO! i filled it in twice just to make sure! it felt good, i think almost better than it did in 2008. going to really relish tonight thinking of all the hard work everyone has put in to make sure we keep moving forward.

79. November 6, 2012 at 12:52 pm
  80. 195 Claire
    November 6, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Took off work last week and yesterday to work for OFA in VA. I live in MD. I am physically exhausted. Volunteered to work until noon today. I drove elderly folks to the polls this morning. I sure hope we win VA. I have worked my hump off and donated over 10K to this campaign. We will win!!