Nov

Rise and Shine

1:05: President Obama delivers a statement about the economy

Eugene Robinson: A new America speaks

So much for voter suppression. So much for the enthusiasm gap. So much for the idea that smug, self-appointed arbiters of what is genuinely “American” were going to “take back” the country, as if it had somehow been stolen.

On Tuesday, millions of voters sent a resounding message to the take-it-back crowd: You won’t. You can’t. It’s our country, too.

…. Nationwide, roughly three of every 10 voters Tuesday were minorities. African Americans chose Obama by 93 percent, Latinos by 71 percent and Asian Americans, the nation’s fastest-growing minority, by 73 percent.

….. On Tuesday, the America of today asserted itself. Four years ago, the presidential election was about Barack Obama and history. This time, it was about us — who we are as a nation — and a multihued, multicultural future.

Full article here

‘Romney’s Transition Site’

Political Wire

Here’s that video again of the cold, aloof professorial fella:

Morning everyone! Have to rush, but will be back later with updates. ;-)

181 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

November 9, 2012 at 8:45 am

GM!

November 9, 2012 at 8:49 am

Congrats df on #1! By the way I hear that there are ~ 600K uncounted ballots in AZ which have the potential to alter the results. Hmmm…

November 9, 2012 at 8:59 am

It’s true:)!! We shall see…my fingers and toes are still crossed:) Been lying low lately…trying to wrap my head around all that has happened this week. The monumental job that all of us did to re elect a President that has done so much good…not just for America, but for the entire world.Deep thoughts on my part….it’s not that I didn’t think he would win, I did…but I must say, I was terrified of the dark money and the voter suppression. Turns out, that collective citizens in America were tired of the games, tired of the divisiveness,tired of the lies and wanted to move forward even MORE because of those things. WE took our country back! That rings with such delicious irony to me…

I am forever grateful for this home,this bond we all share,my President and my country FINALLY waking up from a self imposed slumber..to embrace a new day and move us all, together, into the 21st century. I’m in shock and totally elated.

November 9, 2012 at 9:09 am

Indeed, indeed. We’re moving forward. Thanks for all your hard work at OFA_AZ :)

November 9, 2012 at 9:13 am

It was an honor to work with them….we have lots more work to do in AZ…we aren’t disbanding, we’re resolved to work together in the next elections to get some sanity back around here! :)

November 9, 2012 at 9:17 am

Yes, we want to maintain that momentum for taking back the house and giving Nancy back her well-deserved speakership in 2014. We don’t need that stupid, orange, drunken cry-baby making important decisions about American lives.

• 9 a4alice
              November 9, 2012 at 10:09 am

oooh good for you. How will you do that? I mean will you work with your local democrat organization? I was just wondering about where people who were OFA will fit in now that the President has been elected. I’d like something to tell the peeps who worked on our team. BTW – keeping my fingers crossed for you as well re: those 6K votes. A shame about the sheriff; batshyte Bachman is still in as well.

• November 9, 2012 at 9:15 am

DF, I totally agree. I was very nervous about the voter suppression and election tampering and there was probably a lot of it that we don’t yet know about. But it was the voice of the people roaring back and saying to the billionaires, NO YOU DAMN WELL WONT TAKE OUR COUNTRY. This is a proud moment for the US.

• 12 prettyfoot58
      November 9, 2012 at 8:50 am

GM DF

• 15 dudette9t9
      November 9, 2012 at 11:42 am

Good First of the Morning df!

I’m late to the party! Doing my slave thing.

2. November 9, 2012 at 8:45 am

Good Morning my friends

3. November 9, 2012 at 8:45 am

Chips, you have generated a whole world of operating inside our democracy. Thank you so much.
    I love you

November 9, 2012 at 8:46 am

GM Chips & df.

• 31 prettyfoot58
      November 9, 2012 at 8:50 am

GM Pamelaaaa

• 32 Pamela
        November 9, 2012 at 9:00 am

Yo, pf! I am wondering how it is my little pot of tea disappears so quickly while I check into TOD each morning? This is one of the mysteries! Gotta roll….. Back later, but there is only one Hope I have had to let go of: that I will e.v.e.r catch up with all of you! Led by the firebrand known through high political circles as “Chipsticks”, I must be at peace with myself, knowing I am one of you, and do my bit as I can. Yes. I. Can! :lol: Forward ~ let the joy continue!

November 9, 2012 at 8:49 am

6. 35 prettyfoot58
    November 9, 2012 at 8:49 am

Goooooood Morning MsChipsssssss…GM everyonee….

Today the President will speak to a grateful and expectant nation about his economic vision and the way Forward>>>>>>> ….i am very excited ….it is my sincere hope that the structure for change that the President has built is not dismantled..because as the President says…we still have a lot of work to do….

i know that here in PA we won a victory over the Voter ID law…but it is still on the books and will be in effect for future elections…Nothing has changed…. there will still be citizens who will be disenfranchised…

in addition there is a move to privatize the schools here in Philadelphia..

The Struggle Continuessssssss>>>>>>

• 36 prettyfoot58
      November 9, 2012 at 9:17 am

I got my answer…here…

**************************************

Tuesday night, you all answered all of those doubts with a resounding YES WE CAN. By knocking on doors, organizing phone banks, and chipping in a few bucks when you could, you built a campaign that is unparalleled. And you re-elected our president.

You also proved that millions of ordinary people taking ownership of a cause is still the most powerful force in our political process. You showed that grassroots organizing and small donations are not only the right way to win, but also the most effective way.

How we got here must guide where we go. If we’re going to accomplish the things America voted for on Tuesday, you’ve got to be even more involved in getting them done than you were in giving us all the chance.

For now, I just want to say I am so proud of this team. And I can’t wait to see where you take this incredible movement from here.

Messina

Jim Messina
      Campaign Manager
      Obama for America

November 9, 2012 at 8:52 am

• 38 prettyfoot58
      November 9, 2012 at 9:25 am

i love this one….

• 39 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      November 9, 2012 at 9:34 am

THIS IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOO AWESOME…I WAS THINKING YESTERDAY OF HOW ASHAMED I AM OF SO MANY ACTIONS OF ‘WHITES’…THERE ARE SO MANY DAYS I WISH I WEREN’T.

• 40 miss pat
        November 9, 2012 at 10:06 am

Ah Sue! Don’t say that. Without folks like you we wouldn’t have had the victory.
        I realise a long time ago that there are good and bad people in every race. My daughter’s boss who is Black was at a train station in Connecticut when of Romney’s volunteers bypassed her and tried to hand whatever she was peddling to a White man. His answer to her was: “Get that **** outta my face.”
        So, to you and that man I say, thank you. To the ones that wished us harm and called us every name in the book, I say, we are moving forward. You can come along or you can stay there and stagnate.
        Thanks for all you did!

• 41 Ahero62
        November 9, 2012 at 11:43 am

Hey Sue, don’t say that. Without 40 percent white vote we wouldn’t be where we are now. Remember there are bad apples in every race and for some of the white folks its a question of ignorance.

• November 9, 2012 at 10:04 am

I like that FLOTUS calls it “THE PEOPLES” House because that is exactly what it is….it belongs to We The People.

• 45 dudette9t9
      November 9, 2012 at 11:43 am

CHANGE!!

November 9, 2012 at 8:54 am

November 9, 2012 at 8:56 am

G’morning Chips, TOD, lurkers, everyone:) Happy Friday. Here is a nice DC website I found which has a link for the 57th Inauguration.

10. 49 proudmemberofglobalzero
    November 9, 2012 at 8:56 am

Good Morning Desertflower and Libra. Off today after a 10 hour shift yesterday. I took my husband out to dinner after I got off as a delayed Birthday Celebration for him. I have housework to do today but will put it off to see all the video’s that Chips posted above. Can’t believe I live in Florida and didn’t even know until I got off at 7:00 last night that Florida had not been called. I know in the Precinct I was the Clerk of…we only had 2 provisional ballots cast. Both ballots were provisional because they may have been registered in Miami Dade but had moved to Palm Beach. They both stated that they did do a change of address but it was not listed in the Palm Beach SOE. We did not have access to Miami Dade rolls as the disc we used at the Precinct was not live on the internet to go to the Florida SOE. This should be rectified by the next election.

One thing I am very happy about and am going to brag just a bit. My precincts books were closed the evening of the election. One of the first and could not be prouder of the people I worked with. I am the youngest old person in my area. 55 on my next birthday. Just want to say that the people I worked with were all Seniors and THEY ROCK!!

November 9, 2012 at 8:57 am

November 9, 2012 at 8:58 am

Knoller is so pissed that his boy Romney LOST – that he’s been egging on Boehner with his nonstop tweets about this deficit reduction crap. What a DOLT!

November 9, 2012 at 8:59 am

14. 56 anniebella
    November 9, 2012 at 8:59 am

I loved the end of West Wing Week, when POTUS where talking to the old couple about how they have kept their marriage going for 79 years?

November 9, 2012 at 9:02 am

November 9, 2012 at 9:06 am

The West Wing Week video reminds me once again that WE WON! WE WON! WE WON! WE WON! I’ve had a permanent grin on my face since Tuesday. :D

November 9, 2012 at 9:07 am

Yup. I think I’m gonna be grinning for the remainder of this year and right through the Inaugural ceremony next year!! :) :)

November 9, 2012 at 10:42 am

I absolutely recognize that feeling! GM, Utal, and thank YOU for the ‘weight’ you carried so brilliantly.

November 9, 2012 at 9:09 am

The Romney “President-Elect” transition team website is so laughable. Not just because he lost – there is that – but because of the layout of the website. It’s so disorganized, so basic, so humdrum, so blah. It’s not visually appealing and the waving flag behind Romney – to signify he’s a “true patriot” – is so trite.

Get better web/graphic designers. The GOP is living in the dark ages when it comes to all sorts of technology.

November 9, 2012 at 9:15 am

I read this morning that he had an 8 minute fireworks display over Boston Harbor planned.

• 64 utaustinliberal
        November 9, 2012 at 9:53 am

Seriously? The ego he has knows no bounds. Pres. Obama wrote a victory speech and a concession speech because he knew not to take anything for granted. Romney didn’t. And now this? We dodged a catastrophe.

November 9, 2012 at 9:18 am

Good (feels especially GOOD typing that word these days) Friday Morning, Ms Chips, all TODobots and visitors to TODville!
    With the right leader in The House, life IS GOOD!

November 9, 2012 at 9:19 am

I haven’t listened to tweety for weeks. So not about to start now. Bashir is a different game.

20. 68 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    November 9, 2012 at 9:20 am

AS FAR AS I’M CONCERNED…THE REPUBLICAN PARTY IS FINISHED…THEY ARE A TIRING GATHERING OF HYPOCRITES WHO COULDN’T LEAD THEMSELVES…MUCH LESS AN ENTIRE COUNTRY. I’VE ALREADY HAD REACTIONS FROM VERY SELF-CONSUMED PEOPLE WHO SAY THEY MIGHT LEAVE THE COUNTRY…KUDOS! DON’T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN THE ————————————! I SENT PBO A CARD AND TOLD HIM I DID NOT VOTE…I GAVE IT TO GOD. I ALSO TOLD HIM HE IS LOVED! I AM A GOD GIRL BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE AND I’M SO THANKFUL PBO IS IN FOR ANOTHER 4 YEARS. CAN’T WAIT TO GO TO CHURCH ON SUNDAY AND SEE ALL THE FROWNS…OH WELL!…:) I AM PRAYING VERY HARD FOR PBO BECAUSE I KNOW HIS BATTLES WITH THE HYPOCRITES WILL BE HARD…AS LONG AS HE GIVES HIS WARS TO GOD…HE WILL WIN THEM. GOSH I HOPE DONALD TRUMP HAS LEFT THE COUNTRY BY NOW….:)))))))))))))))))))))))!

• 69 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      November 9, 2012 at 9:23 am

BTW…I SPENT MUCH TIME WARNING MY CHURCH ABOUT MITTENS…BUT…AS USUAL…NOONE LISTENS!

• 70 japa21
      November 9, 2012 at 9:29 am

Sue, good to see you. Don’t restrain yourself, tell us how you really feel.

• 71 TrumpDog
      November 9, 2012 at 10:34 am

No they are not finished (sadly). They will just rehone their message and fool enough people into believing they’ve changed. They are now trying to play to the Hispanic voters in an effort to gain support from them. My hope is that it will backfire but it may not…

• 72 prettyfoot58
        November 9, 2012 at 12:34 pm

So true….

This is a lesson that we could learn well…the war is never truly won and that each victory has to be defended…and pushed Forward…

21. 73 xtine
    November 9, 2012 at 9:20 am

Good morning, GOOD MORNING! It’s a beautiful day!

From Jim Messina’s “Thank you” email: “We’ll be in touch soon about how we can get started on some of the President’s top priorities in his second term.”

Excellent!

22. 74 japa21
    November 9, 2012 at 9:21 am

Well, the President now has over a 3 million vote lead on the pathetic loser. With a lot of CA still to be counted, that will increase. What is more, Romney will probably end up below 48% (although rounded up it will still show as 48&. However, for our purposes the 47.whatever percent will always be shortened to 47%, which is rather fitting.

• 75 jackiegrumbacher
      November 9, 2012 at 9:27 am

Wow, Japa. Sweet justice if Robme comes at or near McCain’s total. He was gonna be so much better than McCain (or so he thought.)

November 9, 2012 at 9:35 am

And here’s an update on the FL situation!

23. 81 jackiegrumbacher
    November 9, 2012 at 9:23 am

Does anyone know where I can find a tally of the House results? I’ve been searching all over the place this morning and can’t find the current number of Democratic seats gained or pending.

24. 83 squarepeg
    November 9, 2012 at 9:33 am

25. November 9, 2012 at 9:38 am

I saw two people asked on the last thread the same question I have: Military vote???? Active duty and veteran. I know we’ll get the answer sometime. I’m just impatient. :)

BTW, great to see SUE!! Was thinking about you yesterday. Prayers work, don’t they?

26. 87 Ladyhawke
    November 9, 2012 at 9:38 am

Let’s Not Make A Deal

By Paul Krugman

————————————————–

Why? Because Republicans are trying, for the third time since he took office, to use economic blackmail to achieve a goal they lack the votes to achieve through the normal legislative process. In particular, they want to extend the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy, even though the nation can’t afford to make those tax cuts permanent and the public believes that taxes on the rich should go up — and they’re threatening to block any deal on anything else unless they get their way. So they are, in effect, threatening to tank the economy unless their demands are met.

—————————————————

• 88 prettyfoot58
      November 9, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I diagree with Klugman that the President surrendered….this always seems to be the Meme from the left…

but here we are…i am on the edge of my seat…waiting to see what PBO will do,,,,

Forwardddddddd

November 9, 2012 at 9:41 am

You’ve got to check this out. :D

November 9, 2012 at 9:43 am

Now this is what you call a MANDATE.

November 9, 2012 at 9:43 am

30. 103 Ladyhawke
    November 9, 2012 at 9:44 am

The Morning Plum: Dems should call GOP’s bluff on tax hikes

By Greg Sargent

—————————————–

For months, President Obama pointed out — rightly — that the single greatest obstacle to a compromise between the two parties remained their seemingly unbridgable differences over whether to raise taxes on the rich. In a campaign focused heavily on the proper moral responsibilty the most successful have to give a bit more back to the society that helped enable their good fortune, at a time when the middle class continues to take a beating, Obama repeatedly asked voters to break this “stalemate.”

On Tuesday, they did — in Obama’s favor. Yet Republicans interpret the results very differently. They argue that the fact that they retained the House has given them a mandate to hold the line against higher tax rates on the rich. Indeed, John Boehner is now arguing that high end tax hikes have no prayer of ever passing the House.

Putting aside the argument over the election results, what does this mean for the next few months? Today Obama is set to make a statement on the economy that will hint at how Dems plan to proceed.

———————————————-

• 105 donna dem 4 obama
      November 9, 2012 at 11:38 am

Oh sweet memories this is the day that PBO came to my office building to the Five Guys Restuarant and when I heard he was downstairs I grabbed my purse and ran down 10 flights of stairs. Everyone else grabbed their cell phones to take a picture but I instinctively had something else in mind. Somehow I thought he was going to take me back to the White House with him that day. I still chuckle when I think about that! :)

November 9, 2012 at 9:58 am

32. 111 dotster3
    November 9, 2012 at 9:58 am

Delusional Romney and team were all really in shock about results. Their bubble, which existed outside the world of reality, had convinced them they were going to win. (FOXNews did the same disservice to its viewers)

33. 112 a4alice
    November 9, 2012 at 10:00 am

Hey MTMarilyn, you know something about this? This is great news! I hope other states follow suite

• 113 japa21
      November 9, 2012 at 10:21 am

Doesn’t surprise me. This has been an issue in MT since the early 1900’s and the USSC just ruled MT’s law banning corporate money in elections unconstitutional. This represents the people of MT giving the Supreme Court the finger.

• 114 mtmarilyn
      November 9, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Yes it was a big referendum. Even all the Ron Paul supporters voted for it. Our new Govenor use to be the Attorney General and he is the one that fought Citizen United. In MT it is in our constitution that corporations can’t contibute to races. This is from the old Copper Barons that ran the state for many years. Even though we are a pretty evenly divided state we don’t like the big money coming in and taking over the politics. I think that is why Tester won. Rehberg is a big money person and he also sued the firfighter from the city of Billings for not putting out a fire on his property fast enough. He was also in a bad boating accident that hurt several people. They were all drunk and the reports from that accident were sealed. I was very concerned because I knew there are many people here who listen to Fox. I was concerenced because OFA wasn’t here the Democrats weren’t organized enough to GOTV. They were. We still have a very purple state and I am fine with that.

November 9, 2012 at 10:07 am

Damn…that Youtube video where Sasha tells her Dad,”behind you” is at almost 1M viewers! This went viral :)

November 9, 2012 at 10:24 am

Top Republicans Suddenly Back Immigration Reform After Latinos Overwhelmingly Back Obama

36. 122 xtine
    November 9, 2012 at 10:27 am

From Deaniac:

“For all the meltdown and civil war on the Right, however, there is one thing that I believe the Right is completely failing to get: they were never going to win this election. Nobody on the right (or for that matter on our side before) has ever built the campaign organization that Barack Obama has. And few others could have accomplished what this president did in his first term in office given the obstacles – both economic and political. The Republicans may be missing the forest for the trees. They may be missing the biggest reason for their loss, and his name is Barack Obama.”

37. November 9, 2012 at 10:28 am

Good morning, TODville!!!!!!!!! It’s the Friday of Election Week where we WON the re-election of President Barack Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 9, 2012 at 10:30 am

39. November 9, 2012 at 10:33 am

I’m so effing sick of these morons!!

November 9, 2012 at 10:43 am

I agree. Hillary Clinton is not going to run in 2016, and all this constant talk and useless polling is a ploy to get DEMS emotionally attached to the idea so that they will be disappointed and unmotivated when she doesn’t run – thus paving the way for smooth GOP win. I see what they’re doing there…setting the stage for a GOP win.

• November 9, 2012 at 11:12 am

Exactly. WE ARE TIRED OF BEING MANIPULATED.

• November 9, 2012 at 11:14 am

She Probably will! She has a lot of support from blue dogs and the like. Could probably flip west Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee.
        That’s why she polls so well.

November 9, 2012 at 11:26 am

Yet all this support didn’t help her in 2007-08 when she was much younger and more energetic, and running against a relatively unknown Senator with a foreign sounding name. She has a lot of baggage, and although the MSM vitriol towards her has subsided – it’s only because she has not been a direct threat to GOP interests these last 4 years. That will change if she decides to run in 2016, and she seems smart enough to recognize it.

I think she would rather leave politics with an amazing legacy as SOS 2008-2012, than tarnish her image with a run for Presidency which she may very well lose.

• 130 SUE DUVALL SMITH
        November 9, 2012 at 11:36 am

HILLARY HAS BEEN QUITE CLEAR SEVERAL TIMES ABOUT NOT RUNNING…SHE’S TIRED. SHE’S WORKED EXTREMELY HARD AND NOONE CAN BLAME HER FOR WANTING TO RETIRE TO PEACE AND QUIET.

November 9, 2012 at 10:47 am

TPM, I don’t give a dam who leads first poll of 2016. I am fed up with polls, and I don’t want to even think about another election right now. So TPM, “F” you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 133 cos
      November 9, 2012 at 11:15 am

I can’t believe they are already doing polls on 2016. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!

40. 134 squarepeg
    November 9, 2012 at 10:33 am

41. November 9, 2012 at 10:45 am

One point- this fiscal cliff stuff..
    You don’t want it to run out- first Moody’s is threatening a downgrade, second the President loses all leverage, third We wil get negative GDP if that happens.
    Thus, Krugman is wrong.

42. November 9, 2012 at 11:00 am

McConnell: GOP not budging on tax rates
    Alexander Bolton
    11/09/12 10:13 AM ET
    The Senate minority leader dismisses talk of a Republican compromise on revenue increases in budget talks. …

See?

• 138 japa21
      November 9, 2012 at 11:05 am

This is one of those let’s agree to disagree things. The public is more and more aware of GOP obstruction and in terms of tax increases they are firmly behind PBO.
      And if we go over the cliff (which it really isn’t a cliff) the GOP will be blamed. Unlike the original debt ceiling or tax cut extension, the consequences would have been immense. Not so much this time.
      But, we will find out soon just what PBO is thinking. Personally, I hope he sticks to his guns. He has the leverage.

• November 9, 2012 at 11:17 am

He doesn’t have as much leverage as you think, after the fiscal cliff, the debt ceiling and government runs out of money in march.
        Best to solve this now, than wait until then.

November 9, 2012 at 11:47 am

Don’t underestimate our President.

• November 9, 2012 at 12:05 pm

By now, Jovie, if you have not realized the total futility, and massively unnecessary angst, doubting President Obama’s capacity to deal with jerks like McConnell, well ….

The President has maximal leverage, now.

He just crushed a bunch of billionaires, their entire media apparatus (TV & cable), the vaunted “Rove machine,” several GOP governors who thought they could suppress voters (PA, OH, FL, etc) and a ‘base’ of crazies – and the list is actually much longer.

So, all this sky is falling stuff is neither helpful, fact-based, or healthy (for you).

Peace, friend.

#TrustBarack He’s Earned It (is not a slogan)

November 9, 2012 at 11:48 am

“F” Mitch McConnell.

43. 143 Beaglemom
    November 9, 2012 at 11:03 am

How great! Four more years of “White House Week” which I absolutely love! And four more years, I hope, of this blog. You have given me hope on so many days during this seemingly endless campaign. I loved seeing photos of the crowds and listening to President Obama’s stump speeches. When my husband would get discouraged, I’d say “But you should see ‘theobamadiary'”! Thanks so much for everything. I felt so proud Tuesday evening and even prouder when the pundits talked about the diversity of President Obama’s support.

44. November 9, 2012 at 11:04 am

Wall street is freaking out over this fiscal cliff stuff.
    Also, Big coal and the defense industry is tanking, after the Obama victory.
    Tell Wall Street to calm down.

45. 148 Don
    November 9, 2012 at 11:05 am

The Republican Party has been boxed into a corner to such an extent that whatever position they take will ultimately lead them to a step just above irrelevancy. President Obama has so thoroughly decimated the thought of Republicans being the caretakers of American that the billionaires that betted against now want a full refund, with interest. Within the next two weeks some states will have to explain to the Federal Government what happed to the money that was sent to those states to set up the Health Care Exchanges, Texas and Wisconsin being two I can think of off the top of my head. Come January 1, 2013 the Bush Tax Cuts expire, and oh by the way we are headed off a fiscal cliff. The last thing voters want to hear about is a bunch of Republicans trying to hold the public hostage. I have a feeling that this will end badly.

• 149 japa21
      November 9, 2012 at 11:08 am

For the GOP. For the country it will be like going over a speed bump. Slow down, feel the bump, and then back up to speed.

46. 151 andogriff
    November 9, 2012 at 11:15 am

GM everyone! And congrats on FIFTEEN MILLION hits, Ms Chips!! This is awesome!!! Can’t believe that my state of FL is so screwed up… and what is up with that Allen West lunatic?? Patrick Murphy won it fair and square.

47. 153 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    November 9, 2012 at 11:33 am

RE; THIS PRESS CONFERENCE…RUSTY…’THE PRESIDENT IS GOING TO HAVE TO LEAD”…AND…”THE PRESIDENT HAS THE OPPORTUNITY TO LEAD.” HE';S BENDING OVER BACKWARDS TO INFER THAT PBO IS NOT A LEADER….AND HE LOOKS LIKE HE HAD A FEW LAST NIGHT! WHAT A PIECE OF WORK HE IS!

• November 9, 2012 at 11:38 am

When he says lead, his definition is to buck all democrats and submit to the will of the GOP.
      In other words, tax cuts and huge spending cuts, and then Boner will get his House to vote.
      Pathetic!

• 155 japa21
        November 9, 2012 at 11:46 am

In theory, Boehner is supposed to lead in the House. But he doesn’t know how to lead as shown by the past 2 years.

• 156 Ladyhawke
          November 9, 2012 at 11:53 am

STILL WAITING ON LEADERSHIP FROM BOEHNER

Exactly, maybe Speaker In Name Only John Boehner needs to be reminded of job description. He keeps saying it’s up to President Obama to lead. That’s not the issue. President Obama has been leading and governing for four years and the American people have given him a mandate to continue his agenda. As Speaker of the House John Boehner also has a responsibility to LEAD and GOVERN. I am still waiting to either demonstrated.

48. 157 Bill R.
    November 9, 2012 at 11:48 am

• 158 Bill R.
      November 9, 2012 at 11:50 am

This is the simple truth, the is the fact based universe that the GOP has to deal with. All the posturing is about dealing with the crazy base. You’re done, Boehner. You are bested. Deal with it!

• November 9, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Yeah I don’t get why everyone is so confused claiming there is some “fiscal cliff” and using alarmist language. Dems and Republicans and the President already closed this chapter. Done deal.

49. November 9, 2012 at 11:55 am

Urging the President to leverage his now > 23 Million Twitter followers … just imagine the ‘twitter bombs’ he could instigate, i.e., “call to action #s’ … unprecedented participatory democracy and a force no member of either the House or Senate has ever experienced. And, we have power lobbyists don’t because we’ve proven just how much $ we can drive into a campaign and how many folk we can mobilize to VOTE. Lobbyists may have $$ but each of them and those that pay their salaries still have ONLY ONE VOTE, each :)

And, by leveraging twitter he completely bypass the MSN, connects directly with 23+M supporters, and can have those supporters target not just Congress but the MSN itself – as we already do, but in a much more laser focused effort to expose their duplicity and incompetence.

#FORWARD

50. 166 yardarm756
    November 9, 2012 at 11:56 am

All hail. As usual the old Yardarm had a bit o’ trouble turning his rack a loose this morning(soon to be noon EST). I see the usual stalwarts are up and at ‘em. Save me a spot at the table, eh?

51. 175 dudette9t9
    November 9, 2012 at 12:00 pm

It’s not too early to party, is it? :-)

Heard this on Tom Joyner this morning. Besides bringing back some sweet, sweet memories, it occurred to me this would’ve worked nicely for Election Night.

52. 176 Claire
    November 9, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I don’t know why I let boehner get under my skin so much. I find him so annoying. Pres. Obama won! He rules, not crybaby boehner.

53. 177 4morefor44
    November 9, 2012 at 12:10 pm

so john boner has basically taken the last 6 months off, and now, the day after a historic election, he’s THE MOST IMPORTANT PERSON IN THE UNIVERSE AND WE MUST ALL BOW TO HIS EVERY DEMAND! all thanks to “the news.”

54. November 9, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I have Poll Tracker’s app on my iPad and I am smiling as I compare their final swing states numbers to the actual #s and let me tell you, it is just a wonderful feeling. We did good folks! To those of us who gave time, money, love and unwavering support, take a bow!

55. 179 Ladyhawke
    November 9, 2012 at 12:22 pm

THE REPUBLICAN PARTY: “WE CREATE OUR OWN REALITY”

Reality-based community

———————————————–

Reality-based community is an informal term in the United States. In the fall of 2004, the phrase “proud member of the reality-based community” was first used to suggest the commentator’s opinions are based more on observation than on faith, assumption, or ideology. The term has been defined as people who “believe that solutions emerge from judicious study of discernible reality.” Some commentators have gone as far as to suggest that there is an overarching conflict in society between the reality-based community and the “faith-based community” as a whole. It can be seen as an example of political framing.

The source of the term is a quotation in an October 17, 2004, The New York Times Magazine article by writer Ron Suskind, quoting an unnamed aide to George W. Bush (later attributed to Karl Rove[1]):

The aide said that guys like me were “in what we call the reality-based community,” which he defined as people who “believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality.” … “That’s not the way the world really works anymore,” he continued. “We’re an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you’re studying that reality—judiciously, as you will—we’ll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that’s how things will sort out. We’re history’s actors…and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.”

———————————————

56. 180 dudette9t9
    November 9, 2012 at 12:52 pm

There was some speculation in a previous thread about potential cabinet changes.
    Found this interesting article Stars & Strips (military paper) online edition
    ——————-
    The next Sec Def: Will Obama choose change or stability?

WASHINGTON – Officially, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta isn’t going anywhere.

The prevailing assumption in Washington, however, is that the 74-year old consummate D.C. insider, who deferred retirement to take over the Pentagon last year, will bow out early in President Barack Obama’s second term.

Whom the president chooses to fill Panetta’s shoes will likely signal whether the coming four years will be a time of transformation — strategically and in terms of how the Defense Department does business — or a time of orderly retrenchment in the face of oncoming budget difficulties, a number of defense analysts told Stars and Stripes.

Should Obama tap a dynamic outsider from industry or perhaps Congress, it could mean an administration intent on carrying through with the major strategic shift that became policy this year, which emphasizes the Pacific as the region central to U.S. national interests and security.

“We’re closing a chapter, with the wars of the last decade ending and now focusing on a new region of the world,” said Todd Harrison, a fellow at the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Analysis. “For that you need a transformational leader. … If we end up with the status quo, that’s a signal the administration is not committed to making as significant a pivot as the strategy actually suggests.”

Elevating a respected Pentagon insider would indicate a domestically focused administration looking mainly for stable management as Pentagon budgets stagnate or even decline if steep cuts imposed by the Budget Control Act kick in next year, analysts said.

The names most frequently bandied about as top contenders for the job include former Pentagon policy chief Michèle Flournoy, who would be the first female defense secretary , and current Deputy Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter. Both would come to the job with a deep understanding of the challenges facing the U.S. military, and both are steeped in Pentagon practice.

James J. Carafano, a foreign policy researcher at the conservative Heritage Foundation, said Flournoy looks to him like the Sec Def in waiting. He called her a well-qualified “process person” who could slip easily into the role and oversee what the administration hopes will be a relatively quiet time at the DOD.

Obama has a clear vision of what he wants from his defense secretaries, Carafano said. “Gates and Panetta are two very different kinds of people, but as defense secretaries they’ve been essentially interchangeable,” he said. “He’s not going to name someone to come in and shake all that up.” [more in the article]