Nov

A Word from BetseyC

by BetseyC

I would love to share my experience of the last two weeks of the campaign, when I went to Reno, Nevada as a member of the Vote Corps. The VC is another great idea of OFA: a group of people willing to move to a swing state for the last two or three weeks of the campaign, and commit to working on the campaign for at least 40 hours a week through the election. That meant that the young staffers and field organizers, who mostly appeared to be somewhere in their 20’s, essentially had a group of full time staffers who were mostly retired, bringing with them many years of experience in getting things done. Because it was Nevada, a lot of the volunteers were Californians. I’m a New Yorker, but I’ve spent the last year roaming the west in an RV, and Nevada was the closest swing state at the time.

I did what everyone else has been doing: canvassed, did data entry, took photos at a few GOTV events, bought healthy snacks, and, for the last four days, kept moving the army of volunteers at our staging location in and out, collecting the data they brought back from their canvasses, and preparing the lists to be brought around again. My shortest day — 10 hours — was my first. For the rest of the time I probably averaged 12 hours a day, still considerably shorter than our field organizers’ days. Adrenaline is a wonderful thing.

I don’t like knocking on people’s doors. I’m old enough to have been brought up when it was important to be ladylike, and though I’m a very strong woman with strong opinions, I’m still too ladylike as far as I’m concerned. I also don’t like it when people call or knock on my door to try to convince me of something. So interrupting someone’s day, especially day after day, makes me uncomfortable.

But I had some great experiences. The first place I was sent is the largest and oldest mobile home park in the country. The area is divided into a fairly coherent grid, but the homes tended to be stuck haphazardly all over the place. There were lots of fences, behind which were LOTS of dogs, many of them pit bulls. Clearly, that’s the security system in Sun Valley. There were yards full of a wild profusion of things — bags of clothes, couches, boxes of dishes, old cans, hardware, even sea shells at one house. Despite the utter wildness of the place, or perhaps because of it, I liked it and kept asking to go back……

You can read the rest of Betsey’s post here

275 Responses to “A Word from BetseyC”

1. 1 yardarm756
    November 10, 2012 at 11:17 am

I’m in!

2. November 10, 2012 at 11:19 am

Cheers to you. Great work. We are all in this together.

3. 25 GGail
    November 10, 2012 at 11:24 am

Good west coast morning Chipsticks :-)

4. November 10, 2012 at 11:25 am

Thanks a million for this BetseyC, it’s absolutely beautiful.

• 28 Betsy
      November 10, 2012 at 11:42 am

I agree with Chips, BetseyC, wonderful post. Thanks, too, for all of the hard work you put in to make President Obama our president for a second term.

• 30 utaustinliberal
      November 10, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Completely concur Chips.

• 31 betseyc
        November 10, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Thanks, UT. LOVE your spirit. I basically lived on news posted here and your tweets, by the way. You got me through the whole convention when I didn’t have tv access.

• 32 whatisworking
      November 10, 2012 at 12:37 pm

BetseyC, what a great story. Thanks for sharing.

Your experiences echoed mine.

My hope, is that all of us can continue to remain involved in this blog and in the effort to support the President. One of the things that struck me about BetseyC’s story is her decision to handle her fears, and worry by taking action. It worked for her, it has worked for me, and it will work for you.

Let this blog be a source of inspiration so we can:

take action as a team
      lend each other the support we need to calm our fears and strengthen our resolve
      use the blog as a resource for accurate information to educate ourselves and others.

Forward >>>>

• November 10, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Linda, you have contributed so much substance to the effort to re-elect the President and just want you to know how much what you did is appreciated. Agree fully about all of us sticking together to build as much as possible with our President during the next 4+ years.

• 34 betseyc
        November 10, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Thanks so much, Linda. I replied below, too.

• 35 betseyc
      November 10, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Wow! Take the dog for a walk and see what happens! Thanks for a way to share my excitement, Chips, and for the great photos you added at just the perfect points (as always!) I couldn’t have made it sane through this endless election without the haven you’ve created here. You are a marvel!

• November 11, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Yes, Betsey C’s write up was great as were the photos. Congrats to all of you who worked hard to get our President re-elected. You did good!!

November 10, 2012 at 11:25 am

A great job well done, betsey.

Chips – we need your patented arrow mark telling, this is betsey.

• 40 amk for obama
        November 10, 2012 at 11:32 am

There are two girls in the pic. Who is betsey ?

November 10, 2012 at 11:35 am

I used to know a guy named Betsey.

• November 10, 2012 at 11:37 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I knew a Boy Named Sue.

Well, no, I didn’t.

November 10, 2012 at 11:40 am

Neither did I…(with regard to the guy named Betsey).
              :) :)

• 44 joanshaw
                November 10, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I remember it, a Shel Silberstein poem that Johnny Cash set to music and made uber-popular. Starts out “My pa left home when I was three/ and didn’t leave much to my ma and me…(except that name)” He suffered all his life from the name and when he got old enough he swore he’d find his father and kill him for it. After he found him and had a knock down drag out fight with him, nearly beating his father to death, he found out his father gave him that name to make him strong.

The poem goes on and on, like so many of the ballads of the time (think Robert Service), and it actually turns out sort of happy at the end.

Nostalgia.

We woke here in northern Utah to snow on the ground this morning and I has a sad because it’s taking its time to melt. I never believe, no matter how many winters and springs I see, that the garden will ever come back to life after so many below-zero days, sometimes WAY below zero. And we don’t have the roses covered yet, not to mention the 1100 tulip bulbs we’ve planted (in celebration of our 50th wedding anniversary in December).

Never mind — Just don’t forget, everybody, to sign up on Obama Victory Fund page, so we can get rid of the worst of the Republican lunatics in the House in 2014!

Six months until spring, alas.

• November 10, 2012 at 11:36 am

Ah, d’oh, sorry. Don’t know! We need BetseyC to help us out on that one!

• 46 betseyc
          November 10, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I took the top pic, amk. I think I’m doing pretty well for 61, but I’m certainly not the glowing girl in that picture!

6. 51 GGail
    November 10, 2012 at 11:27 am

It appears that involvement with OFA changed a lot of people…..in positive ways!

Excellent report BetseyC :-)

7. November 10, 2012 at 11:27 am

great work betseyc…nice memories to go along

8. 55 sherijr
    November 10, 2012 at 11:28 am

Beautiful BetsyC from your first sentence to your last. Thank YOU so much for all that you did to help this great man remain President.

9. November 10, 2012 at 11:31 am

The president has no public events scheduled on Saturday. On Sunday, he and first lady Michelle Obama will host a breakfast for veterans at the White House. The first couple will then head to Arlington National Cemetery, where he will lay a wreath and deliver remarks.

10. 58 donna dem 4 obama
    November 10, 2012 at 11:33 am

BetseyC you are a Super Star. Thank You Thank You Thank You!!!!

11. November 10, 2012 at 11:33 am

BetseyC, that was so powerful, moving and true. You’ve expressed how I felt about BO at the 2004 Dem convention. There is NO earthly reason how anyone could rise so fast, so far. So I’ve always thought there was divine intervention in PBO rise.

• 62 PollyinAK
      November 10, 2012 at 11:59 am

… and his mom and grandmother are helping him from above!…

• 63 taiping1
        November 10, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Speaking of his grandmother I found a poem written in 2009 by Naomi Ruth Lowinsky, “Madelyn Dunham, Passing On”:
        A wind blows when we die
        For each of us owns a wind –Xan poem
        I never knew I’d be wind, when I died–a warm wind
        on my way home from the islands–a light breeze
        off the lake–breath in my grandson’s lungs
        as he speaks to the crowds on this–
        his election night. Does he know this is me–
        touching his face and the faces of those who never believed
        they’d see the day. Who’d have thought I’d be breath
        in the bodies of so many strangers; who’d have thought I’d be music,
        sweet as the sound of the slack key guitar, or that I’d become
        an ancestral spirit in the land where they know how to feed
        the dead–they’re roasting four bulls, sixteen chickens,
        some sheep and goats, to feast the one
        who belongs to us all–to the Kenyan village
        of this grandmother Sara, to the spirits of his father and mother, his black
        and white grandfathers, to the ones who are laughing and crying in Grant Park.
        In the land of the dead–nothing is over–we still wander, still worry
        take pleasure, make trouble, demand our portion
        of beer, of drumming, of dancing all night. I say to you living–
        though I’ve drifted away, though I’m only a sign–an ex-
        halation–I can feel your whole world shift–
        though I’m only the faraway sound
        of a slack key guitar …

Thanks BetsyC for your moving account. We are the ones we have been waiting for.

• 64 betseyc
      November 10, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Thank you, LaDLove. It’s such a wild thought, but there it is.

12. 65 lola
    November 10, 2012 at 11:38 am

I hope that your website traffic increased due to the election

13. November 10, 2012 at 11:48 am

“Barack Obama has accomplished an enormous amount, and his new term will be a wonder to watch. Contributing to that is something I cherish. But he is more than what he does or doesn’t accomplish. He is the very energy of change and the future. He is the literal blending of cultures and races. He is the symbol of where we are going. That’s why he inspires such fear as well as such love and admiration. He is the wind of change, and is blowing all over the earth.”

BetseyC, I’m saving that. Your entire essay is a joy to read and am so grateful for all the energy you brought to the effort of re-electing our President.

As you know, BetseyC, I’m a guy, but the ‘force’ you described earlier in your essay resonated remarkably with how I’ve ‘felt’ about President Obama – ‘felt’ in a very tangible, persistent, powerful way. Have only once before had that experience – when supporting RFKJr before he was assassinated.

Thank you!!!

#FORWARD

November 10, 2012 at 11:51 am

And thank you, Bob, both for your support of PBO and RFKJr – pretty sure the latter would have done much to change the tone in our country, too, just as President Obama has.

• 68 betseyc
      November 10, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Thanks so much, Bob. I learned so much from a lot of incredible warriors here, you among them. I was 17 in 1968, and RFK and MLK were my first political beacons. We’ve spent 40 years fighting the pull backward from what that time represented, a very conscious, planned (e.g. the Powell Memo) pull backward. That’s why it’s so important to keep this energy going. We keep winning battles and relaxing, forgetting that other forces are waging a long war.

14. November 10, 2012 at 11:51 am

Chips, thank you for posting LO’s ‘moment of gloat’ :) in the previous thread!

#TrustBarack

Yes We Did

November 10, 2012 at 11:53 am

Also LOVED how Lawrence gave President Obama “The Last Word,” last night (his personal remarks to his campaign headquarters staff and volunteers, with tears flowing down his face like a mighty river).

• November 10, 2012 at 11:53 am

Bob, I’m on play number 562 – cannot watch it enough!!!

• 72 Claire
      November 10, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Love the moment of gloat. Like Tony! Toni! Tone! sang, “It feels good!”

• 73 GGail
      November 10, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I loved it too Bobfr – so much so that I sent it out to many people….even to a friend of mine in Finland who I know will get a BIG laugh out of it!

15. 74 mtmarilyn
    November 10, 2012 at 11:51 am

BetseyC, thank you for all your work and all those who did all the volunteering!!!! What you wrote about the grandmothers surrounding Obama is what I feel too!!!! There is much more to Obama that what we see.

We must continue to be a voice and have this Presidents back. I know we won’t let 2010 happen again.

• 75 betseyc
      November 10, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Thank you, mtmarilyn. So glad Tester won! And SO agree with this –> “There is much more to Obama that what we see.”

16. 76 squarepeg
    November 10, 2012 at 11:54 am

In the End, Obama’s Compassion for All Routed the GOP’s Greed and Contempt

Republicans have made it quite clear that they have contempt for all Americans who are not wealthy, and especially the most vulnerable among us. It was nothing short of revolting over the past two years to watch Republicans preach the value of cutting social safety nets that protect children, the poor, and the elderly under the guise of deficit reduction and fiscal responsibility, and to promote the agenda of hate, they offered the people a 20% tax cut as an incentive to push the radical agenda of austerity. However, Americans are not bought off as easy as Republicans attempted to buy the election because the majority of the population believes, as President Obama does, that Americans have a responsibility to take care of each other that the GOP still cannot comprehend.

• 77 theo67
      November 10, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Wasn’t it Sheldon Adelson who said that he doesn’t listen to the opinions of people who aren’t wealthy? Vile.

November 10, 2012 at 11:55 am

I love our President. Thanks BetseyC for sharing your inspirational story of your work with OFA. :)

18. November 10, 2012 at 11:55 am

What a beautiful piece! Thanks you for writing it, BetseyC! Not only do we have the most amazing president of my lifetime, but he seems to attract amazing supporters as well. So impressive.

November 10, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Thank you so much, Betsy! Warrior for PBO:)

Now…as Veteran’s Day fast approaches….let’s peek at what Republicans want to do to our vets!

20. November 10, 2012 at 12:00 pm

BetseyC you are a star. Reading your article, I didn’t want it to end, it was so thrilling. You did an outstanding job as part of the millions who helped to re-elect this great man. Yes I too have been touched
    by this intangible, inexplicable FORCE that is Barack Obama, since 2008, and my life has not been the same since then. Have never felt this way before and I know I never will again, so I cherish it. Thanks again for all you did.

• 85 betseyc
      November 10, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Thank you, hope44. I hope we will feel this way again. I hope more avatars are here and on their way. It’s time for them!

November 10, 2012 at 12:02 pm

November 10, 2012 at 12:08 pm

hopefruit2, This is just plain pitiful.

November 10, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Yes, the delay in counting the ballots is pitiful, but the WIN is so gratifying and that’s the most important of all :)

• 89 Diane
      November 10, 2012 at 12:21 pm

BetseyC that was a wonderful, electric, powerful narrative of your role in this election. Wow! I can’t say it made me cry although there were tears flowing–It made me light up on the inside. It made me understand deeper in the fiber of my being that this is truth. Barack Obama is the tip of the spear of dynamic change. For those who walk in light he is a welcome wind of change to help us unfurl our sails and glide. For those who harbor hate–he is a gale threatening to blow them out of the way.

November 10, 2012 at 12:06 pm

23. November 10, 2012 at 12:12 pm

BetseyC, you are so eloquent and so wonderful. Thanks so much for all you and your husband have done to help secure our future. You are a total inspiration.

• 107 betseyc
      November 10, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Thank you, meta. You are one of my inspirations. We’re in your neck of the woods right now, staying in Greenbrae.

24. November 10, 2012 at 12:13 pm

WTG FLORIDA! Voter suppression and all the other antics did not stand in your way. Power to the people.

25. 109 anniebella
    November 10, 2012 at 12:18 pm

To the ones who stood out there for hours and hours and hours, know that I am not saying anything bad about you. I thank each and everyone who did that so their voice would be heard. I thank everyone who work their butts off trying to do the right thing. But we have to find some way to do this voting thing better, first step is to get rid of Rick Scott and people like him.

26. November 10, 2012 at 12:26 pm

BTW, Kyrsten Sinema’s lead is growing over Vernon Parker in AZ CD9 :)

27. November 10, 2012 at 12:29 pm

For one minute I thought this was for real…

:lol:

28. 117 dudette9t9
    November 10, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Happy Saturday Everyone! Thought you might like to see this:

U.S. Embassy Dublin hosted an Election Night viewing party on November 6th 2012 in the Guinness Storehouse, Dublin. Here is what some of the guests had to say before the results came in, including President Obama’s distant cousin from Moneygall, Henry Healy!

—–

• November 10, 2012 at 12:41 pm

That was great!!! It inspires me to have a pint or two …..or three (or so, give or….give) in honor of THE IRISH!! (I know, why should tonight be any different from every other night at Casa de Magapie!!)
      And no GD smary, disengenuous TEETOTALING prez in the U S of A that’s for DAMN FIRE SURE!!!

• 119 dudette9t9
        November 10, 2012 at 12:50 pm

LOL! Our PBO is definitely no teetotaler! :-)

Here’s Part 1. Henry’s not in that one and there are a couple ex-pat Repubs:

• 120 theo67
          November 10, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Thanks for this. I love that the Obama supporters were able to give very tangible reasons for an Obama victory, and why they – and the rest of the world – supported him. The last two Romney supporters could only say that people were too embarrassed to declare themselves as Republicans. Rightly so. Great to see Henry Healey in the shot (he should get into politics) – and the building where the event was hosted really looks lovely and extremely modern.

• November 10, 2012 at 1:49 pm

My husband and I were visiting Guinness in August when someone found a suspicious package which necessitated an evacuation of the seven-story facility, an incredibly rare event. But we had never experienced such an efficient evacuation! (Likely a consequence of The Troubles, that efficient evacuation.) We did get back in after about 45 minutes.

• November 10, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Thanks, dudette9t9, I had to laugh when one woman said that all of the BO badges were gone but plenty of the Romney badges remained!

29. 123 dotster3
    November 10, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Beautiful Betsey, I gulped down every word. An inspiring retelling of your experience and insightful conclusion. I’m of the same mind—-exactly.

30. 125 4morefor44
    November 10, 2012 at 12:32 pm

great work, betsey!!

speaking of 2014 midterms…i’ve been thinking about what strategy republicans will come up after they lick their wounds. i saw keith boykins twitter a bunch of links to real clear politics where you can see the polling average in each swing state compared to actual results from this week. in every single one, and that includes north carolina, president obama OVERPERFORMED the polling average by 1%-5% range, EXCEPT ONE STATE – ohio!

in ohio the final result was a 1% drop for president obama compared to the polling average going into the election – the only state with a drop for president obama. this seems highly unlikely considering the effort o.f.a. put into ohio and how much the auto bailout helped the region. now this is the state with the most active voter suppressionist attorney general and governor, and the state where republicans have a long history of voting day cheating (ken blackwell, anyone? diebold c.e.o. saying he’ll deliver the state to bush in 2004, etc), so the only logical explanation in my opinion is that husted/kasich/e-voting machine company tried to steal it secretly. their efforts resulted in preventing another gain for president obama over the polling average and made him underperform the polling average by 1%, so approx a 2-4% difference.

now to me, republicans will decide they need to do more and more of this since it’s the only thing that’s getting results for them anymore. as we organize for the next year or two, i think first, getting these people voted out of office all over the country needs to be priority, and second we should figure out how to stop this cheating through new legislation and/or enforcement of current laws. i must say i’m excited to see such a push to keep the movement going this time, and i hope we can focus on the most effective campaigns for 2014 and spend our energy wisely.

31. 127 dudette9t9
    November 10, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I see a couple of tweets saying the Florida count is done and official but not one link. Does anybody have one? I can’t find any news outlets that have an update count/electoral map with FL turned blue yet.

32. November 10, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Betsy – brilliant. Bravo. And thank you – to you and to every volunteer who gave their blood and souls to this campaign and to this man! Beautiful.

November 10, 2012 at 12:36 pm

BetseyC – I cried all the way through. Not sure which part I enjoyed most. Thank you for getting our President re-elected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

34. 135 magapie
    November 10, 2012 at 12:43 pm

BetseyC YOU ROCK!!!

November 10, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Miami Herald writer confirms the results. YIPPEEE!!!!!

36. 138 whatisworking
    November 10, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I posted a response to Betsys moving story above, but it may be missed by many, so here it is again

BetseyC, what a great story. Thanks for sharing.

Your experiences echoed mine.

Let this blog be a source of inspiration so we can:

take action as a team

Forward >>>>

November 10, 2012 at 12:51 pm

YAY!! AP has OFFICIALLY Called Florida for President OBama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

38. 141 dudette9t9
    November 10, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Had to tweet this great story that obamalia shared earlier this morning

39. 142 dudette9t9
    November 10, 2012 at 1:02 pm

NBC has called PBO projected winner of FL. Electoral count: PBO 332 Romney 206

Their map now has FL with a lovely shade of blue! Wooooot!

November 10, 2012 at 1:03 pm

41. 144 Smoothscotch
    November 10, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Good morning all. Just heard Florida finally in for PBO…..332 EV

42. 145 dotster3
    November 10, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Ct. daughter just told a cute story about my 8 yr. old grandson. He’s been a big fan of President Obama since ’08 when he was 4 and made Obama signs and marched with them around his neighborhood. Since then he’s become a student of politics, particularly this recent Obama campaign. So, he decided to jump into the game, submitting his name to represent his class in the student council. Daughter said he tried to imitate the Obama campaign, identifying his voters etc. and geared his campaign to his “likely voters”. His big problem was that his class had a big majority of girls, and he knew that most girls would always vote for the girl candidate. So he secured the majority of the boy vote, and then went to work on the girls he thought might flip. He geared his campaign speech to them, he tried to say nice things to them, do nice things for them daily, passing out persuasive campaign literature etc. In the end, the popular girl candidate won, but he beat out the other girls and boys and won the runner up position. So, if for any reason the winner cannot serve…….:)
    I know that this charismatic and politically interested little guy will run for a big office one day. Daughter said he came down to the TV room on election night in his PJs, lugging a blanket and would not go to bed until the Obama win had been announced. Celebrated with a bowl of ice cream and went to bed very satisfied and dreaming of and planning for his next campaign.

• 146 dudette9t9
      November 10, 2012 at 1:13 pm

That is wonderful! Love that story! :-)

• 147 lisalovesobama
      November 10, 2012 at 1:30 pm

SWEET! What a charmer. He’s very smart that grandson of yours! ;)

• 148 idon
      November 10, 2012 at 1:41 pm

very astute little fella. He teid to garner the girl by saying and do nice things for them. I’m thinking the repubs could learn a lot from this very smart little boy. He’s learned a lot from our wonderful president and I too think he will run for office as an adult and do great things for the American people.

43. 149 relellit
    November 10, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Good afternoon Todville and Chips

BetseyC, what an inspirational story. I being a senior could really relate to your experiences. One thing, I must say those youngsters gave me so much energy; especially during the times I thought my legs would give out.

332 to 206; Wow! Did Romney really think he could lie his way to the Oval Office?

Everyone have a nice day. :)

November 10, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Yes Mitt did think they could lie their way into the White House. Remember in the interview with Diane Sawyer, Sawyer asked them if there was anything they wanted to say to President Obama, and they said “start packing”. Well Mitt, President Obama and our lovely First Lady won’t be packing till 4 More Years. Hot Dam !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 151 betseyc
      November 10, 2012 at 1:58 pm

They were truly amazing, relellit.

44. November 10, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Please dear TODers offer you congratulations to @DWStweets

45. 153 anniebella
    November 10, 2012 at 1:12 pm

332 PBO MR206 Sounds like a mandate to me.

46. 157 dotster3
    November 10, 2012 at 1:15 pm

More proof that those who knew them best disliked them the most. Ryan loses his hometown of Janesville—big time:

November 10, 2012 at 1:21 pm

48. 160 lisalovesobama
    November 10, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Hey guys, just went to TPM and read an article about some idiot Texas Repuke who wants to cede from the union. The first comment in response to the article was fricking BRILLIANT! I give to you, a GET THE FRACK OUT THEN, FOOL response:

The Mad Mailman • 20 hours ago −
    Let the mooching ass Red States secede as this old piece of comedy points out:

“Dear Red States

We’re ticked off at your Neanderthal attitudes and politics and we’ve decided we’re leaving.

We in California intend to form our own country and we’re taking the other Blue States with us.

In case you aren’t aware that includes New York, Hawaii, Oregon,
    Washington, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois and the rest of the Northeast.

We believe this split will be beneficial to the nation and especially
    to the people of the new country of The Enlightened States of America

(E.S.A).

To sum up briefly:

You get Texas , Oklahoma and all the slave states.

We get stem cell research and the best beaches.

We get Andrew Cuomo and Elizabeth Warren. You get Bobby Jindal and Todd Akin.

We get the Statue of Liberty. You get OpryLand.

We get Intel and Microsoft. You get WorldCom.

We get Harvard. You get those ignorant fools at Ole’ Miss.

We get 85 percent of America ‘s venture capital and entrepreneurs.

You get Alabama .

We get two-thirds of the tax revenue. You get to make the red states pay their fair share.

Since our aggregate divorce rate is 22 percent lower than the
    Christian Coalition’s, we get a bunch of happy families. You get a bunch
    of single moms.

With the Blue States in hand we will have firm control of 80% of the
    country’s fresh water, more than 90% of the pineapple and lettuce, 92%
    of the nation’s fresh fruit, 95% of America’s quality wines (you can
    serve French wines at state dinners) 90% of all cheese, 90 percent of
    the high tech industry, most of the US low sulfur coal, all living
    redwoods, sequoias and condors, all the Ivy and Seven Sister schools plus Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Cal Tech and MIT.

With the Red States you will have to cope with 88% of all obese
    Americans and their projected health care costs, 92% of all US
    mosquitoes, nearly 100% of the tornadoes, 90% of the hurricanes, 99%
    of all Southern Baptists, virtually 100% of all televangelists, Rush
    Limbaugh, Bob Jones University, Clemson and the University of Georgia.

We get Hollywood and Yosemite, thank you.

38% of those in the Red states believe Jonah was actually swallowed
    by a whale, 62% believe life is sacred unless we’re discussing the death
    penalty or gun laws, 44% say that evolution is only a theory, 53% that
    Saddam was involved in 9/11 and 61% of you crazy bastards believe you
    are people with higher morals then we lefties.

We’re taking the good weed too. You can have that crap they grow in Mexico.

Sincerely,

A Citizen of the Enlightened States of America”
    282 2 •Reply•Share ›

• 161 lisalovesobama
      November 10, 2012 at 1:23 pm

***secede*** from the union. Grrrrrrrrr!

November 10, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Why don’t these folks just leave the darn country. Hop on a plane and go any where the plane will take you, I don’t care

November 10, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I hear Somalia is beautiful this time of year…

• 164 Jeff
            November 10, 2012 at 1:42 pm

republicans couldn’t do that… Somalia is full of black people!

November 10, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I know:) But they don’t have govt in any form to get in their way! Teabaggers dream!

• 166 nathkatun7
              November 11, 2012 at 2:04 am

Which makes their options very limited. If not Somalia then where? Europe, Asia (except Muslim Pakistan), Latin America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Africa, support President Obama. I suppose they could secede and declare the Right Wing Confederate States of America. I am, however, absolutely sure that, St. Louis and Kansas City, MO; Austin and Huston TX; Atlanta, GA; New Orleans, LA,; Birmingham, AL; Charlotte and Raleigh, NC; Charleston, SC; Memphis and Nashville, TN; Indianapolis and Gary, IN; Salt Lake, UT; Phoenix, AZ; and many other pockets of the right wing states that voted for President Obama, would vote to remain in the United States.

November 10, 2012 at 1:33 pm

LOL! Like crash land in a dirty swamp somewhere.

• 168 carolyn
            November 10, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Sorry folks…..we can’t push Texas out of the union. My son and his precious family live there, and Texas is turning blue. If only one county had voted for Obama, Tarrant county, Ft. Worth, it would have gone for Obama. Also, the democrats held all of their democratic reps, and added three. It WILL happen in Texas, long before it does in the rest of the confederacy.
            Iknow they elected a nutjob Repuke Senator, but winds are changing in Texas. I predict that Julian Castro….we all know him from the convention, will be the next governor of Texas. His brother is now in Congress.
            Texas of course has a large Hispanic population, but also, a large number of Northern highly educated liberals who have moved there, changing the nature of the state. Karl Rove’s group is on the way out.

• 169 lisalovesobama
              November 10, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Carolyn, no one is trying to push Texas out of the Union. One idiot repuke in Texas said they should leave the union, we are simply having a laugh at their stupidity. They wouldn’t last one second outside the protection of the united states. Sometimes you have to laugh at stupid people. Besides, Texas will be blue soon, so we don’t want it going anywhere.

• 170 nathkatun7
              November 11, 2012 at 2:24 am

Carolyn, I am absolutely confident that a sizable number of Texans would vote against secession. I am thinking of people in Austin, San Antonio, Houston and Dallas. Basically, the options for the racists are becoming narrower and narrower. In a world that is increasingly interdependent, belief in white supremacy is increasingly anachronistic. People here are just having fun with the stupid advocates of secession. This is not 1860-61 when slaves had no say so when the South seceded. African Americans, Latinos, and progressive whites in Texas will never allow Texas to secede without a fight. My theory is that rabid racists, though still very dangerous, are on the way to extinction. Even racist tea baggers had to recruit people like Marc Rubio, Allen West, Herman Cain Ted Cruz in order to remain relevant.

• 171 dudette9t9
      November 10, 2012 at 1:40 pm

But I can’t afford to move again — especially after convincing other family members to come here too.
      Can we make Atlanta a satellite embassy?

• 172 nathkatun7
        November 11, 2012 at 2:32 am

Don’t worry, Duddette. Atlanta is moving nowhere. This is not 1861! If Georgia wishes to secede from the United States it has to give up Atlanta, Albany and other predominantly African American communities. The same is true of many blue sections in the so called Red states.

• 173 daisydem
      November 10, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Yes, Yes, Yes, let them secede, even Alabama where I live; I will move. And oh btw, if Texas leads this charge and succeeds, they won’t take Austin! Austin has said so … maybe they will become the state of Austin! So we will have Dell, and we will have the University of Texas (which has one of the best arichitectural archival libraries in the world, and we will have the coolest people, including my daughter, oh and yes, Austin passed same-sex marriage too!

• 174 carolyn
        November 10, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Please see my comment just above re: Texas. The state is changing. These idiots just yell louder than my son, his wife and people like them.
        We cannot let states secede. We fought this out 150 years ago. We are a UNION, let’s just not go there. Puerto Rico wants to join us…..we will be stronger when we work this through. Remember what the President said in his election night speech, and believe it.
        I too get really angry at the red states and their stupidity, and believe me I know this well, because I live in Oklahoma, which actually brags about being the reddest state in the union. But eventually we too will be dragged kicking and screaming into a progressive 21st century.
        Don’t give the idiots who yell “secession” any credibility by agreeing with them.

November 10, 2012 at 1:22 pm

This official FL win came just in time for the Sunday Republi-CON talk shows to entertain us while they eat a fine Sunday brunch of steamed crow.

50. 178 donna dem 4 obama
    November 10, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I was looking at the NBC map that was posted upthread and we still have 7 House seats that are undecided. It sure would be nice to pickup a few more of those seats. Also, I see that California and Arizona only have 71% of the vote in. How can pundits be talking about the vote count being off from 2008 when so many votes have still not been counted? What idiots!!!!

November 10, 2012 at 1:32 pm

From what I’ve read, many of these undecided house seats are trending in the DEM direction. The MSM is so eager to push Republican talking points that they jump and make premature declarations!

51. 180 debz
    November 10, 2012 at 1:29 pm

All of the bitching in 2010 by the PL and congressional dems, that POTUS didn’t help them in the election, and now I read this: “the WH sidelined the organization at the request of congressional leaders who resented attempts to apply pressure on them in their districts.”

• 181 prettyfoot58
      November 10, 2012 at 1:46 pm

yanno debz…

the established democratic apparatus did not want to concede power to OFA….community organizing was never a mark of the old Democratic machine….

there was not empowerment in the community from the machine…it had been old party bosses deciding who runs for office .and who doesn’t..(there were those who ran on their own)…..the old party machine that would look with a jaundiced eye on community organizations and block groups attempting to do community organizing or voter registration…there were attempts to co-op such movements….

here in Philly there were communities in which ward leaders and committee people did not work cooperately with OFA….

so where do we go from here…it is up to us…the people…. to be involved in the politics of our community…..from the State Governor to the Block Captain…because if we do not make out voices heard…someone else’s voice will fill that vacuum….

Forwarddddddddd>>>>>>>>>>>>

• 182 debz
        November 10, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I’m happy to read that Plouffe said he wasn’t going to hand over the OFA email and phone lists to the DNC or candidates. They can use OFA to push the President’s agenda through Congress, and I believe that as long as people are engaged in organizing, it will be a great help in local and state elections.

52. 183 prettyfoot58
    November 10, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I love the narratives of folks on the ground….ty so much for your service…thank you for your dedication….

53. November 10, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Good day TOD family. Was anyone as touched as I was when Sasha tugged on her dad and told him to look behind at the audience that was cheering him on after the victory. I have replayed that tape over and again, watching her mouth what appeared to be “Behind you, Behind you.”

It just melted my heart. Kids as gracious and wonderful as their dad.

54. 187 susanne
    November 10, 2012 at 1:38 pm

happy hawaii morning chips and tods! i just have one thing to say today: 332! the people have spoken.

everybody have a lovely day~

55. 188 Ladyhawke
    November 10, 2012 at 1:40 pm

So will Senator John McCain be booked on all of the Sunday Shows to opine about his hero General Petraeus and his fall from grace? There must be some way that McCain can blame this debacle on President Obama. After all, isn’t that the prequisite for the invite in the first place.

56. November 10, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Hellooo #TOD family..!! **waving** :o)

• 193 COS
      November 10, 2012 at 1:45 pm

PBO is truly a unique and remarkable person. He will go down in history as being “the first” to do a lot of things.

November 10, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Love that tweet – and stat – Rock!

• November 10, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Good day Rock!!!! What a fantastic week we’ve all had, together!

Thanks for that neat tweet

#FORWARD

November 10, 2012 at 2:13 pm

*Obama becomes 1st Democrat to carry Florida twice in presidential elections since FDR*

Just sent that to a friend of mine in FL. She’s a hard-core liberal, a white woman in her 60s, living in a red county near the I-4 Corridor, the area of Central Florida which is purported to be turning BLUE. She’s just a short drive from Orange County, which PBO took, but in her own neighborhood was surrounded by R-R yard signs and a sinking feeling of gloom for the last couple of months. Add to that, prior to Tuesday, a sense that she’d end up in the fetal position with her thumb in her mouth (she’s a self-described cynic and pessimist, although she rarely shares that part) if PBO didn’t win. She told me it took her a couple of days to weather the election. On election night, she was stunned and tearful and grateful, staying awake half the night. The next day, as were many of us, she felt she was in a stupor and possibly had had just one big ol’ good dream that PBO had won. By the second day after, it suddenly dawned on her that maybe she wasn’t alone in her political thinking, geographically speaking, as she took a long walk in her neighborhood. She started reveling in it, and damn near stopped for ice cream. I was happy for her (and all of us!)! Times they are a’changin’ – again. HOPEfully.

• November 10, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Hellooooooooo Rock – what magnificent news!!!

• 199 TrumpDog
      November 10, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Hi Rock!!!!! :-D

• 200 nathkatun7
      November 11, 2012 at 2:39 am

There you have it!

57. November 10, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Thank you, BetseyC for that brilliant and inspirational narrative!!!!!!!!

58. 203 dudette9t9
    November 10, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Sometimes Comcast does something right. I just notice the have Election 2012 related videos available OnDemand. [okay, that shows how seldom I use that it]. Anyway, I can watch the Victory Speech (CSPAN)on TV until 12/1. Yay!

59. November 10, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Anyone else experiencing “Obama Rally” withdrawal??

60. 211 Obama Grandmama
    November 10, 2012 at 2:11 pm

OMG! I just was about to go offline then I remembered I planned to check something about my local progressive Portland, OR radio station before logging off. I did and OMG I can’t believe it! When I turned on my radio this morning I heard FOX Sports instead of the Sat highlight reruns of week for several Liberal commentators. I thought oh, it is football season and sometimes they put on other things like U of O, or OS football games but this was NFL and I wanted to check it out. Also the station was much louder and clearer for me than what it was usually. I went and looked it up and apparently they told the morning host Carl Wolfson Fri. evening that the station would not be a progressive station anymore they were going with Fox Sports. The article sited the 2 GOP political stations being ahead in the polls as the reason. I am wondering if this is part of the newest political strategy to help the GOP. Carl had to tweet his message out after he found out. I listened to Carl, Ed Schultz, Thom Hartmann, and Randi Rhodes daily so am VERY disappointed.

• 212 mtmarilyn
      November 10, 2012 at 2:43 pm

OMG, that is awlful!!!! They were very popular I thought. I listened to them online. I have a droid phone and there is an app called I heart radio. I now listen to several stations around the country to listen to Bill Press, Stephanie, Ed, Thomm, and Randi. I am so sorry for Portland, that is a great loss.

• 213 nathkatun7
        November 11, 2012 at 2:45 am

Welcome to our misery in San Diego that took place after the 2008 election. No Thom Hartman, Randi Rhodes, Ed Schultz, etc.

• 214 0388jojothecat
      November 10, 2012 at 3:56 pm

If you have iheart on your phone, you can listen to Stephanie and Randi on 1150 AM. I am surprised that they did not do it BEFORE the election.

61. November 10, 2012 at 2:11 pm

62. November 10, 2012 at 2:13 pm

63. 217 donna dem 4 obama
    November 10, 2012 at 2:18 pm

We’ve Only Just Begun!

November 10, 2012 at 2:50 pm

That’s exactly right donna – RT’d and fav’d.

• 219 a4alice
      November 10, 2012 at 6:46 pm

exactly so Donna. We need Nancy Smash back with her gavel!

• 220 nathkatun7
      November 11, 2012 at 2:50 am

Absolutely, Donna! After we rest and recover, we must go back to work right away to make sure that in 2014, we take back the House and increase our majority in the Senate as more GOP will be up for re-election. I am 100% in!

64. 221 dudette9t9
    November 10, 2012 at 2:18 pm

• 230 prettyfoot58
      November 10, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Bob…what was your concern?

• 233 Obama Grandmama
      November 10, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Thank you for the article. I will be forwarding it to my daughter who is living and working in Munich, Germany currently. She was very upset this morning when I skyped with her as Paula is a good friend of hers. She was concerned it would ruin her life. They both went to Grad School together in Denver and have kept current. She is even the reason my daughter went into her current line of work there.

On my above post about the Progressive Radio station getting switched Fri evening to Fox Sports I went back to see if I could find the Eugene Progressive station instead. Portland said their ratings were not high enough. It now seems Eugene was also taken off according to the news post because the advertisers did not support them. I am suspicious of the timing on both being the Fri after election week. New GOP obstruction?

• 236 nathkatun7
      November 11, 2012 at 3:07 am

Bob, thanks for sharing the NYT account of this incidence. Hopefully, we can all leave Gen. David Petraeus and his family to sort out their family mess. For all of those looking for a scandal in the Obama administration this must be disappointing. As the Gen. said, this is a case of pure human weakness and poor personal judgement. It has very little to do with the serious affairs of state.

65. November 10, 2012 at 2:25 pm

66. 240 prettyfoot58
    November 10, 2012 at 2:27 pm

The Supreme Court agreed Friday to consider a challenge to the landmark Voting Rights Act of 1965, which could result in less federal oversight of the racial impact of state and local election laws.

The high court accepted the case of Shelby County, Ala. v. Holder, in which the Alabama municipality sought to change its voting laws without federal review. For decades, the law’s key provision has prevented states and municipalities with a history of racial discrimination from changing their election laws unilaterally.

67. 241 squarepeg
    November 10, 2012 at 2:29 pm

• 242 dudette9t9
      November 10, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Sour Grapes: Tavis is still made cuz then-Senator Obama didn’t take time out from his 2008 campaign to Tavis’ “State of the Black Union” conference. West has been pissed since he didn’t get inaug tix. Both of them have been on their poverty pimp tour together ever since making money bitching about PBO & claiming how he doesn’t care enough about helping the poor.

• November 10, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I have only two words to say in reference to Smiley and West: has beens

• 244 TrumpDog
      November 10, 2012 at 3:58 pm

It’s probably because Black stations want no part or the TavCorn bullshit. They go to other stations because it plays into their “Will Blacks Abandon Obama” memes

• 246 nathkatun7
      November 11, 2012 at 3:17 am

Tavis and Cornel who? In my Barber shop no one cares about these two. The hero is comedian Steve Harvey who exposed them for what they really were.

68. 247 PollyinAK
    November 10, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Don’t know if this article from a conservative website has been posted yet. A good link to send to Republican friends.

Interesting to read the comments too. One guy said this:
    “I donated to the Romney campaign. Not much, but it was what a could afford. I think it came out to about $300. That’s grocery money to feed my family. That’s gas money to get my kids to school and for me to get to work. And this is how it was spent? To line the pockets of wealthy charlatans? Words can’t describe how angry this makes me. And this “good man” allowed this to go on right under his nose. Mitt Romney owes me and a lot of other Americans a huge apology.”

• 248 susanne
      November 10, 2012 at 2:48 pm

wow–everybody read this. sounds like the whole robmey campaign was run like a venture capital operation: swoop in, charge high consultant fees, run up big bills, then shut it down as a failure. gee, rethugs, who would have guessed robmey would do that?

• November 10, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Right. As I read through the comments, I still got a sense that many of the posters are still ignoring the HUGE elephant in the room–the GOP’s policies. They can complain about ORCA as much as they want, but until the GOP stops the hate, stops saying that those who don’t vote for their candidates want “free stuff, and until they learn to respect women, LGBTQ Americans, POC, etc, I think they will continue to have problems winning the WH and many seats in Congress.

• November 10, 2012 at 3:48 pm

What did they really expect? When someone SHOWS you who they are you need to pay attention. I now know why so many of the 47% that are republicans did not kick into his campaign. It was and never intended to be a grassroots campaign. it was the campaign for the “Haves” and the “Have Mores” yet these people gave him their most precious thing….their vote.

69. November 10, 2012 at 2:40 pm

70. 252 carolyn
    November 10, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I have a plea for people on this blog. PLEASE do not join the chorus of begging red states to secede. That is terribly self-defeating. I’ve written two posts above about this, but this attitude concerns me. President Obama would NEVER like this. We fought this out 150 years ago, and this kind of talk is dangerous, both from that Texan yelling for it, and from people who think it is a good idea. It is NOT a good idea. Poor President Lincoln, if this should happen. He gave his life for the union, and asked that Dixie be played on his election night.
    Those of us on this blog do not agree with the racists, bigots, etc. at all. But we must not become vitriolic and mean in the opposite way.
    I think I’m the oldest one on this blog, and have lived, seen and experienced too much to give in to this attitude. It’s one thing to laugh and look at the differences between blue states and red states, and yes they are real, and yes I laugh too, but I am an American first, not a red stater not a blue stater. I was born in Ohio, have lived in Michigan, Florida, when my dad was stationed there, Illinois, California, Kansas, Washington, D.C. and Massachusetts, and now Oklahoma. We are ONE country and must remain so.
    What we have to do is work and give and walk again for 2014, not give in to the hysterical among us.

November 10, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Point well taken Carolyn. I think folks were just joking and/or venting! Many of us, like you have relatives and/or friends who live in those states and who are working hard to change the prevailing mentality that plagues the majority of voters there. I don’t think secession is the answer. No way, no how.

• November 10, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Don’t worry. Even if they tried, their attempt would last five minutes because someone with a functioning brain stem would point out they’d soon be feral and starving to death, considering it’s the blue states who fund their existence. We pay for the paving of their roads, we grow their food, manufacture their medicine & technology, and basically allow them to have the nice, cushy, American lifestyle they take so carelessly for granted.

Aren’t there like five South Park episodes on this sort of subject?

• 255 lisalovesobama
        November 10, 2012 at 4:31 pm

hahahhahahahhahhaha!!! that was so the point, Talz. They can talk secession all they like but they wouldn’t last an hour. :roll: asses. They are all financially dependent on the federal government and the blue states. It’s amazing how the 47% doesn’t realize that they are the 47%. SMH.

• 258 lisalovesobama
      November 10, 2012 at 4:29 pm

who asked the red states to secede? I posted a link to an article about a republican writing in a news letter that Texas should secede, then I posted a comment about it which I thought was appropriate. No one is seceding, nor is anyone on this blog asking them to secede. I was having a good laugh about an idiot repuke and I simply loved a brilliant comment about the idea of secession. You don’t have to take these things so seriously. Sometimes it helps to look at idiots, point at them and laugh. Are red states ridiculous, uneducated and a drain on our economy? ahhhh, yes, ask the blue states and the federal government that support them financially. They are completely dependent on us and the very idea that they would secede is laughable. Like some bratty teenager, yelling at her parents that she’s going to run away when she doesn’t have a dime to her name, can’t drive and doesn’t know north from south. So relax yourself. Though it would be nice to have a United Blue States of America, we all know that’s never going to happen, but it is good for a laugh.

71. November 10, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Great job, BetseyC! I know some of the OFA staffers were sad to see you leave.

• 260 betseyc
      November 10, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Thanks, Majii. The coming weather looked bad, so we left the day after election day to avoid it. (While my adrenaline was still running.) So I missed the clean up of the office. I told Elvin how sorry I was to miss that!

• November 10, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!!! betseyc – THANK YOU!!! Not only for your endless energy working for our POTUS and ALL OF US, PEOPLE OF EARTH, but for writing this amazing piece so that those of us who just had too much DAY JOB to go volunteer for OFA (like I dreamed of doing), could share your awesome experience and live vicariously through you!!! MASTERFUL!!!

72. 265 EDP4BHO
    November 10, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Just WOW Betsyc. You are one of me sheroes on this crazy march for civility. Thank you !!

73. 267 Beaglemom
    November 10, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Thank you, BetseyC, for your beautiful description of what led you to volunteer and do so much to help us win this election. I have been a lifelong Democrat and my parents and grandparents, most of them anyway, were also but I have never been so proud of being a Democrat as I have since the 2008 campaign. When I hear President talking about how we are all “in this together,” I am simply thrilled and I know that these are not just words to him, these words are the truth.

• 268 betseyc
      November 11, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Thanks, Beaglemom! This –> “Theobabmadiary” has become my favorite internet stop of the day – I always feel refreshed and encouraged here.

74. November 10, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Awe-inspiring and powerful read…

Thanks BetseyC for your awesome OFA volunteer work!

Press on, #FORWARD 2012 & Beyond, Together! ;)

• 270 betseyc
      November 11, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Thanks, Snoopy! Totally agree –> And, thanks Chips and the rest of the TOD Family for their part in PBHO’s Re-Election and DEM down-ticket efforts.

• November 11, 2012 at 6:41 pm

You’re welcome…

And, I forgot to say this: Even though this makes some feel uncomfortable, I BELIEVE, PBHO *WAS/IS* ‘The Chosen One’ for this place and time in our history!

75. 272 Puddin'
    November 10, 2012 at 10:08 pm

BetseyC, I just finished reading your post…my heart got full, full I tell you. I envy the work you (all) did and the wonderful experience you (all) had, but the end of your post struck me the most…you put into words what I had been feeling about our wonderful President from day one (2004 Convention)…I could never put into words what I felt…BetseyC your words filled my heart!!!!

76. November 11, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Hey, BetseyC… My beloved friend! I am so GD proud of you!!! This is just wonderful – and I’m so glad you shared your thoughts about the grandmothers, which I know come from deep in your heart and soul… Beautifully written, and full of that Universal energy with which you are filled. A lot has been put on this one person, and I think the choice was wise… MLAA, Gato