Nov

Rise and Shine

President Obama stands with Vice President Biden in the Green Room of the White House prior to delivering a statement on the economy in the East Room, Nov. 9 (Pete Souza)

The People’s View: Because the President Won Re-election…

32 million additional Americans will gain health insurance, instead of about 70 million losing it.

Health insurance companies won’t be allowed to drop you because you get sick, or discriminate against you because you have a pre-existing condition.

Employers will not be allowed to inject their moral beliefs into the health care choices of their employees.

International family planning funding won’t dry up just because the groups receiving the funding discuss abortion as an option (though not pay for it with US funding).

Federal student loans won’t be handed over to banks with an extra subsidy…..

Read the full list here

Cagle

Must-see – Your Moment of Gloat!

NYT Editorial: On Tuesday, voters re-elected a president who promised to fight for higher taxes on the wealthy, for more public investment and for careful cuts in spending. Three days later, President Obama challenged Republicans to extend the Bush tax cuts for the middle class, right now, and said he would not accept a deal that does not require the wealthy to pay a bigger share.

… John Boehner, recycled positions that Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan already offered, and voters rejected …. These were the opening hands in negotiations that start next week: Mr. Boehner’s weak hand and Mr. Obama’s strong one.

…. Negotiators will have time to reach the type of accord Mr. Obama described on Friday: “Reduce the deficit while still making the investments we need to build a strong middle class and a strong economy.”

That is what he campaigned on, and won on.

Full editorial here

Washington Post: President Obama and the white vote? No problem.

….. while Obama did lose white voters by 20 points to Mitt Romney, he still won a clear popular vote victory – with a majority of his total vote nationwide coming from white voters.

Take a look at the chart that shows the percentage of white voters supporting the Democratic candidate all the way back to 1972.

Obama’s 39 percent showing among white voters matched the percentage that Bill Clinton received in 1992 — albeit it in a competitive three-way race — and exceeded the percentage of the white vote earned by Walter Mondale in 1984, Jimmy Carter in 1980 and George McGovern in 1972.

…. In the end, President Obama’s “problem” with the white vote wound up being less than advertised — and certainly less problematic to his political prospects than Mitt Romney’s 44-point loss among Hispanic voters.

More here

Nick Anderson

Cagle

Cagle

Cagle

Cagle

Cagle

Mooooooooorning everyone ;-)

184 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 14 lisalovesobama
    November 10, 2012 at 9:36 am

Hey Chips!

• 16 lisalovesobama
        November 10, 2012 at 9:39 am

Hey, Pamela! How goes it this bright Saturday morning?

• 17 Pamela
          November 10, 2012 at 9:50 am

Tired, Lisa, but otherwise fine. I wish I could make another pot of tea and sit with my kitty on my lap, just soaking up TOD for the day…. But there is ice to be scraped off the car (yes, in Seattle), and little old lady with a very short time left to be with us, so I am rallying up to make a run for it! Dave just asked if it IS Saturday, but to me, every day is Monday! Not long now……

November 10, 2012 at 9:38 am

Ah, you’re up !!!

GM Chips.

• 22 lisalovesobama
      November 10, 2012 at 9:41 am

Heyah, pops! What goes on?

• 23 amk for obama
        November 10, 2012 at 9:42 am

What else? Bit of ranting and raving.

GM lisa.

• 24 lisalovesobama
          November 10, 2012 at 9:52 am

AMEN! Hopefully, with OFA staying open, we can do this in 2014.

• 25 amk for obama
            November 10, 2012 at 10:01 am

That’s what I don’t understand. Why do you need OFA to get you to polls ? Haven’t they done enough to educate you about the value of your vote ? Why all the cajoling and hand-holding?

We often mock at the rw for their voting against their own interests. What about the dems not voting for their own interests ? The dems abdicating their votes makes it doubly worse since it lets the repubs take over control of all political machines at the state level, which in turn makes sure the dems don;t get to vote. This is a vicious cycle that should be broken permanently.

Voting loyalty – This is one thing the fucking dems can learn from the fucking repubs.

/rant over

• 26 dotster3
              November 10, 2012 at 10:12 am

Excellent rant. Agree a billion percent. Dems need to muster their resolve to make the effort to show up to vote in the all-important midterms. Sets the stage for all future events.

• 27 amk for obama
                November 10, 2012 at 10:25 am

Also. Too. Look at this OFA thing in practical terms. Most of the OFA volunteers are unpaid. They have worked their hearts out in the last few months to GOTV. They have got their own lives to lead than to live and breathe politics 24×7.

2010 really pissed me off and what riled me most was that the blame was laid at the doors of Obama and OFA. They showed you the ropes in 2008 with some breathtaking hard work and after that it is your duty to grow the fuck up and take your own initiative to go at least fucking vote.

To expect unpaid OFA volunteers to remain politically active 24×7, without due regard to their personal lives, is utter bs and is just buck passing on your fundamental responsibility as a voter on to some one else’s shoulders.

Grow the fuck up and VOTE.

• 28 yesteryum
                  November 10, 2012 at 12:05 pm

My huz and I totally agree with you. We are both very aware of our civic duties and bristle when people moan and complain about the government but make all kinds of excuses when asked if they voted (many often say they did not). The last federal election in Canada was a sheer travesty of voting and now we have a conservative government that many complain about. Sometimes I wish this was Belgium where you get fined for NOT voting.

• 29 nathkatun7
                  November 10, 2012 at 6:23 pm

AMK, as always, you speak TRUTH! Nothing but the TRUTH! Democrats need to wake up and take seriously Mid-term congressional elections as well as state and local elections. We are the majority party if only we would show up and vote. I also hope utopian leftist would grow up and realize that the U.S. is not Europe. As far as I am concerned, Third/Fourth, etc., etc., parties have absolutely ZERO influence on policy. All those purity progressives who religiously vote for the Green Party make it possible for Republicans to win.

• 30 lisalovesobama
              November 10, 2012 at 10:22 am

THIS! I don’t get why dems don’t GOTV in off years. It’s just stupid and gives us people like Rick Scott and people like Joe Walsh. We are a lazy bunch, that’s the only thing I can come up with.

• 31 GGail
              November 10, 2012 at 10:47 am

GM amk and I agree with you! The light bulb has clicked on for some of my family & friends, so I’m encouraging them to remain informed and to be sure to vote in the mid-terms. I think they get it now…

• November 10, 2012 at 12:16 pm

What’s your solution for gerrymander-proof congressional districts?

• 33 nathkatun7
                November 10, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Voting in massive numbers for Democrats in State races for governors and members of state legislatures. This the only solution to “gerrymander-proof congressional districts.”

• 34 a4alice
          November 10, 2012 at 10:22 am

Yes that’s right AMK. I think I ranted an answer to this in the previous thread. We are having a little reunion on Sunday with all the OFA peeps. I’ll be wanting to see if there is some sort of agreement amongst us to keep things going or what the next course of action could be. I do NOT want what happened in 2010 to happen in 2014

• 35 Judith Fardig
            November 10, 2012 at 11:44 am

My OFA team is having a celebration and planning meeting on Monday to brainstorm how to stay together and lobby for President Obama’s agenda. We have to re-elect Senator Merkley in 2 years, so we in Oregon cannot let up! I plan to pass out contact information for Congress so we can hound the hell out of Boehner and McConnell, etc. to accept President Obama’s mandate and start cooperating with him and the Dems.

• November 10, 2012 at 11:56 am

Trying to reach that 20% of twitter that doesn’t vote? Are they following you?

November 10, 2012 at 9:39 am

Good News

4. November 10, 2012 at 9:40 am

Great round-up, Chips. I adore that photo of POTUS and VPOTUS!! Handsome and fierce, the two!!

November 10, 2012 at 9:41 am

G’morning Chips, TOD, lurkers, everyone, and congratulations libra on #1! Happy Saturday Chips – thanks for this excellent mishmash. And I LOVE the top pic with VP Biden and PBO! :)

6. 44 Pamela
    November 10, 2012 at 9:43 am

I just love Abbie and the BroncoBamma vid! I have a feeling PBO is laughing his bootay off with this one, and hoping will stick ~ it is just perfect! Okay, I really really really gotta go now, it’s not youse guys fault, well now, maybe it is! Have a wonderful broncing day!

November 10, 2012 at 9:46 am

Something tells me that Lil’ Abbie might get to meet President “Bronco” in person one of these days :) She would be delighted – I’m sure!

7. November 10, 2012 at 9:43 am

Happy Saturday TOD-land!! (It is Saturday, right?)

8. November 10, 2012 at 9:44 am

good morning everyone

November 10, 2012 at 9:46 am

That nick anderson toon is spot on.

Channeling joey tribbiani (who has to die for me to get the baby?), how many generations of white will take before they face the reality?

November 10, 2012 at 9:46 am

Freaking LOVE that picture of Pres. Obama and VP Biden. We lucked out big time.

11. 54 ctgirl7
    November 10, 2012 at 9:47 am

Gooood morning!

12. 55 PollyinAK
    November 10, 2012 at 9:48 am

I read that winning CO put President Obama at 272 electoral votes. He didn’t need FL, OH, VA…. they were icing on the cake. This was a decisive win.

13. November 10, 2012 at 9:48 am

Great morning this and that!
    Thanks Chios.
    OFA Florida is having thank you parties today all over State.
    Their is one in my area, a cookout, think I will attend.

14. November 10, 2012 at 9:51 am

the media keep yelling the year of the women they fogot to say for democratic women
    In the Senate, only four of the 20 women in the upcoming Congress are Republican, down one from last year

15. 66 proudmemberofglobalzero
    November 10, 2012 at 9:52 am

Good morning all. Chips, thank you for the new thread. I just wanted to post something interesting that I found in the Palm Beach Post, There was a poll in the paper that was posted. I voted in it. It was just like on CNN at the bottom of the page….not scientific but, results were interesting. Here in Palm Beach where I voted, President Obama carried the 50-60 year old margin by the largest percentage. More than the youth, more than women, more than minorities. The fact that we are the ones that are going to get hit by any Medicare or SS changes made US the more democratic voter. The medicare changes were scheduled for my birthday year…1958. We showed up in massive numbers and voted for PBO again. I now have even in a new district ALL DEMOCRATS representing my family.

November 10, 2012 at 9:53 am

The fashion industry must have been closely watching the election and hoping for the same outcome that we were hoping for!

17. 71 prettyfoot58
    November 10, 2012 at 9:53 am

Voter Empowerment Act was introduced byt the Dems in May of this year….don’t know where it is in the process…but this is something that we could get behind…below are some points of the act…

But Democrats will not sit idly by. To that end, we have put forward the Voter Empowerment Act, which:
    •Opens access to the ballot box by:
    ◦Modernizing the voter registration system
    ◦Authorizing an online registration option
    ◦Authorizing same-day registration and permitting voters to update their registration data onsite
    ◦Providing additional tools to alleviate any additional burdens for people with disabilities
    ◦Requiring all universities that receive federal funds to offer and encourage voter registration to their students
    ◦Simplifying registration and ensuring that ballots from all military personnel serving overseas are counted
    •Ensures integrity of process by:
    ◦Authorizing funds for training poll workers and setting standards for polling place practices
    ◦Requiring provisional ballots be available and counted at all polling places
    ◦Prohibiting voter caging and designating it as a felony
    ◦Protecting against deceptive practices and intimidation
    •Protects accountability of result by:
    ◦Establishing a national voter hotline to ensure timely reporting and corrective action of voting related issues
    ◦Setting standards for voting machines to ensure accurate tabulation and confirmation of voter intent paper copy verification
    ◦Reauthorizing the Election Assistance Commission to ensure that the highest standards are being met nationwide to guarantee fair elections

• 72 Betsy
      November 10, 2012 at 11:01 am

Excuse my ignorance, but what is “voter caging”?

• 73 prettyfoot58
        November 10, 2012 at 11:04 am

Voter caging is a method of challenging the registration status of voters to potentially prevent them from voting in an election. It refers to the practice of sending direct mail to addressees on the voter rolls, compiling a list of addressees from which the mail is returned undelivered, and using that list to purge or challenge voters’ registrations on the grounds that the voters do not legally reside at registered addresses. This typically results in the voters’ having their votes discarded or submitted through the use of provisional ballots requiring further registration confirmation…..

18. 76 sherijr
    November 10, 2012 at 9:54 am

“Bronco Bama” ~ I just love that, I’m thinking he would love it too :)

and PS: Chips HUGE congrats on your email from Scout T… you my dear are a ***star*** I too loved your horse pic in all its glory- no, really, tis true ;)

• November 10, 2012 at 10:04 am

Thanks so much sherijr – would you like me to send you an enlarged, high-res version of the horse manure pic?

• 78 sherijr
        November 10, 2012 at 10:58 am

um, no… but thanks ever so much Chips for thinking so highly of me as to offer to share your greatest ‘piece’ up close & personal.. I’ll not forget ;)

• November 10, 2012 at 11:00 am

Huh, your loss sherijr. Your rejection of my kind offer of my horse manure pic (which I would have autographed) will, in time, prove to be as disastrous as the moment that record company guy turned down The Beatles. Trust me.

19. 81 overseasgranny
    November 10, 2012 at 9:58 am

May I join the others in saying that top picture is exceptional. Even great photographers, like Chip, sometimes get a shot that is wonderful. I’ve been watching Fox News and they haven’t learned one darn thing from the election. Still pushing creepy Ryan and Rubio and now Jeb Bush. Not one of them will beat Clinton/Warren.

• November 10, 2012 at 10:02 am

Loved that photo too OSG, it screams RESOLVE!

• 83 4morefor44
      November 10, 2012 at 10:27 am

yes, souza is one of the best i’ve ever seen. every event he’s at he comes away with stunning photos. amazing.

and hate to be contrary, but whether fairly or unfairly it’s developed this way, hillary clinton is way to devisive of a figure to win a national campaign, not to mention her joe lieberman-esque voting record in the senate and running of the democratic leadership council (dlc). so case in point, i will actively work as hard as i can to keep her off the ticket in 2016 (i don’t think she’ll even run by the way), since i think she would reverse the “forward” momentum built by president obama by either losing the general, or for some odd reason she won it, by her policies and her cabinet. lanny davis, howard wolfson, mark penn and the like, were who she had leading her campaign for 2008. these are the people who are going to continue president obama’s work?!? and i’ll refrain from linking to her odd debate performances with then senator obama and those strange campaign moments where she’s mocking him about the sky opening up and so on…

in my opinion, elizabeth warren needs to be the candidate in 2016, and she has none of the problems i listed above. perhaps we can all agree to backing warren and starting the “draft warren” group right now? her speech at the democratic convention was incredible and boosted her poll numbers dramatically, and her victory speech the other night was obama-like in terms of the extreme excitement of the crowd. we’re moving forward, not backward. just my 2 cents…

• 84 mtmarilyn
        November 10, 2012 at 11:15 am

I so agree about Clinton. I will also do all I can to keep her off the ballot. We need to go forward with new blood like Elizabeth.

20. 85 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    November 10, 2012 at 9:58 am

Good morning TOD Fam! Still recovering; haven’t yet had a chance to read all of the good threads for the past week — I’ll never catch up!

• 86 donna dem 4 obama
      November 10, 2012 at 10:03 am

Thank YOU Alycee for all the good work you did in PA to help us win this election. You were a force in this election!!!

21. 87 donna dem 4 obama
    November 10, 2012 at 10:01 am

PBO and VP Joe are two handsome men.

22. 90 dotster3
    November 10, 2012 at 10:04 am

President Obama’s percentage of white vote the same as Clinton’s and close to all recent Dem candidates—–and most importantly, percentage of white vote overall has diminished.

November 10, 2012 at 10:07 am

The south dragged down the average. The media treats all whites as a monolithic group. The white voter from Mississippi is very different from the white voter from MA. Their values and interests are very, very different. You can’t just lump people together like that.

• 92 isonprize
        November 10, 2012 at 10:46 am

When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn….. Same for African Americans, Latinos, etc.

• 93 nathkatun7
        November 10, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Exactly! I’ve been making the same point. For example: The President won Vermont, which I believe is 98% white, with over 60% percent votes, while Romney won Mississippi, which is about 68-70% white, with almost 60% of the vote. As the chart shows, the President’s white vote percentage is comparable to the percentages won by all Democratic Presidential Candidates. The meme that the media is trying to promote is that white voters rejected President Obama when the reality is that he could not have won if white voters didn’t embrace him. Ironically, most of the states in the South that overwhelmingly voted for Romney have the highest percentages of Black voters. It’s just the White South was almost monolithic in voting for Romney and the Republican party. I think what is more telling is the deep regional divide when it comes to party preferences. The South which used to be predominantly Republican, before the passage of the Civil Rights Laws in the 1960’s is now predominantly Republican. Likewise, the North East which had a strong Republican party is now increasingly Democratic. Here is another good example: In Massachusetts only two blacks have won statewide offices. The first one was a Republican, Edward Brook in the 60s and 70s; the second was a Democrat, Gov. Patrick in the 21st century. Besides, in 1992, the white vote was almost split three ways between Clinton, Bush, and Perot. If it hadn’t been for the Black vote– he got over 90% of the Black vote- Bill Clinton would never have been elected President. Although Clinton’s share of the white increased by 4% when he run for re-election in 1996, he still lost the white votes. Still, It was the non white vote — especially the AA vote — that made it possible for clinton to win again.

November 10, 2012 at 10:04 am

‘Twas an election to remember, wasn’t it Adam? :)

24. November 10, 2012 at 10:07 am

Probably More Important Than Petraeus
    The Supreme Court today decided to take up the constitutionality of Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act — a decision that could have enormous and far-reaching consequences.

Yeah, let’s make the lines even longer?

November 10, 2012 at 10:10 am

That moment of gloat by Lawrence O’Donnell is pure genius! Especially because it featured that witch Peggy Noonan.

• November 10, 2012 at 10:12 am

Adored it UT! Just tweeted it and confessed I’ve watched it so many times I’ve almost broken YouTube!

• 98 magapie
      November 10, 2012 at 10:27 am

AND WHAT IS UP with the ffkknn OVER-THE-TOP cloying ARTIFICIAL AFFECT of that noonan? Surely someone has told her by now “Will you just PLEASE stop speaking that way??? GIVE IT A REST. NO ONE CARES. It’s REDUCING your credibility…..if that’s possible…..”

26. 99 prettyfoot58
    November 10, 2012 at 10:13 am

I noticed that there has been much reporting about PBO’s press conference about the upcoming struggle over the Bush tax cuts,,,but has said lil about PBOs call for the House to pass the Middle Class Tax Cut….

here is a link to it….

In addition WiW urged us to be the change that we seek by urging us to contact our legislators…calling on them to support the Middle Class Tax cut Bill…now languishing in the House..

Forward>>>>>>>>>>

• 100 a4alice
      November 10, 2012 at 10:30 am

Yes! WiW is so Proactive! In fact I think I’ll make up a little sheet to take with to the party and make sure peeps have the info they need to continue fighting.

• 101 prettyfoot58
        November 10, 2012 at 11:01 am

Forward>>>>

i want to remain involved in the struggle against voter suppression and to promote a better voting system…so i will b eager to see what you do…perhaps i can implement something similar in my neighborhood….

27. 102 carolyn
    November 10, 2012 at 10:20 am

When I saw that picture at the top of the page, I thought….Those are two handsome, kind-hearted, compassionate men! How often have we been able to say that about our POTUS and VPOTUS? They are the cream of the crop, and a historic pair.
    I am truly loving all the analysis of the vote coming out. Tuesday night we had no idea of the magnitude of the victory. It is just now beginning to sink in. Obviously Boehner and McConnell haven’t grasped it yet. They will HAVE to!

28. 103 donna dem 4 obama
    November 10, 2012 at 10:24 am

I sure hope that OFA or some form of it becomes a forever mainstay of the Democratic Party. They used technology so efficiently. I give you an example. I am a Facebook user. I have over 800 FB Friends. Every time a new state would start early voting I would get an email from OFA telling me to send a link ask those people on FB that lived in that particular state to early vote. That reminder continued until everyone of those people responded to my early vote request. This continued with every one of the battleground states. Just phenomenal. What OFA has done will be talked about in every future election for years to come.

29. 108 57andfemale
    November 10, 2012 at 10:26 am

Sorry, amk, but I’m not done gloating while they still give me prime material: The ‘story’ today is that Paul Ryan yearned to go into inner city, poor neighborhoods and preach his self-reliance and opportunity mantra and convince those people that his policies would help them, but that mean, ol’ Romney only wanted to aim the message at the donor class.

If only Paul Ryan had been able to spend his entire campaign talking to black and Hispanic neighborhoods, he would have sold them on his most excellent Randian message.

Come on. Let me gloat a few more days!

• 109 a4alice
      November 10, 2012 at 10:36 am

bah ha you remind me on the ballot in st paul this year there was a judge running for reelection. Running against her was this dude who self proclaimed on his website that he followed the Randian philosophy. The idea that someone thinks it’s GOOD to proclaim his Rand leanings (translate: batshit crazy guy) is definately living in Fantasy Land. Hopefully he lost. Geeze i better go check.

• 111 4morefor44
      November 10, 2012 at 10:39 am

lyin ryan is starting to sound a lot like sarah palin after she tanked her ticket in 2008. “if they would’ve just listened to me, me, me, then we would’ve beat that obama guy!!” hilarious how they still completely don’t get why president obama wins. they still think it’s about “messaging” and “optics.” must be quite humorous to sit in a repbublican strategy debrief right now…”if we would’ve just made that banner in toledo 5 feet wider!” or “if we would’ve just put one more flag on that stage in kissimmee, then we would’ve won!! arrghhh!!” wow, republicans really are not the brightest bulbs in the drawer.

• 112 amk for obama
      November 10, 2012 at 10:40 am

One of the side effects of constant gloating is tend to create your own bubble a la pox news. What that does is let us live in the past, while the present slides by us and lands us in a horrific future. Witness, 2010.

• 113 57andfemale
        November 10, 2012 at 11:14 am

Aw come on. Just a few more days……

You should know me well enough for now that I will do everything in my power to undo the 2010 mindset, build on this spectacular win and start re-defining our road to true progress and solid, progressive political discourse.

But a few more days of gloating, please? Although as I recall you said we could have through the weekend so I’m still in the grace period.

• 114 amk for obama
          November 10, 2012 at 11:17 am

LOL. Oh, we will gloat whenever the current crop of repub clowns still left in the congress fail miserably in their measures to stop progress.

My suggestion was only to talk about mittbot any more since he has become irrelevant. Even his own party won’t touch him now even with a ten foot pole. Lying’ ryan is another matter since he still remains a congress critter.

• 115 isonprize
      November 10, 2012 at 10:53 am

57andfemale. I GOT some neighborhoods for Eddie Munster. Seriously, let him come into North Philadelphia or West Philly with his ideas. Come on, Paul. Welcome.

• 116 4morefor44
        November 10, 2012 at 11:07 am

looks like lyin ryan can’t even take that mess into his hometown. i was struck how right after the republican convention, he marches in a memorial day parade where he grew up and lives, and even in the main parade route section there is almost no cheering for him and loud booing the whole parade as you can see halfway through this clip (you’d think the native son would be welcomed with excitement after just being named a vp candidate!):

when people can hear trickle-down and libertarianism presented just factually and without the media filter spinning it as a positive, the people reject it over and over. too bad for paulie-numbnuts!

• 117 prettyfoot58
        November 10, 2012 at 11:10 am

Isonnnnnnnnnnnnnn…Isonnnnnnnn…how are you…..

are you still involved in the Voter ID initiative…..if so…do you know when their next meeting is….

• 118 nathkatun7
      November 10, 2012 at 7:14 pm

57andfemale, go ahead and gloat for as many days as you want! You definitely earned the right to gloat on Nov. 6th, 2012.

30. 119 lisalovesobama
    November 10, 2012 at 10:29 am

Chips, is there any way you can make PBO’s ‘Thank You’ video a part of the site like you did the Al Green one and the ‘Forward ‘ one? Pwetty pwease with cho-co-laaate on top?!!

31. 124 magapie
    November 10, 2012 at 10:34 am

As American citizens we have the right to GLOAT as long as we want. And others have the right to scold us. And………….. I wonder if Queen Anne is still bawling? Extra tranquilizers, maybe? A milk and honey bath?? Personal assistnt planning her 6 month vacation? I can TOTALLY see her lying in a canopy bed, servants running back and forth wearing one of theose Arlene Francis eye covers…… Maybe there’s some etiquette we can follow?

• 125 EDP4BHO
      November 10, 2012 at 11:01 am

I feel no ways guilty in gloating for now. Those people maligned our President and they challenged his supporters with their smugness. They so richly deserve their just desserts.

November 10, 2012 at 10:36 am

The gloat rewrite was awesome. The completely sealed air-tight bubble, as maddow put it, is truly frightening, nazi style.

• November 10, 2012 at 10:40 am

Wasn’t it just FANTASTIC!!! I lost count of how many of them forecast a Romney landslide. As so many have said since Tuesday, these creatures have absolutely no understanding of today’s America – none!

• 128 amk for obama
        November 10, 2012 at 10:48 am

Contrast this with what our side was saying, from PBO, MO, Messina, Plouffe to every one else down to OFA saying constantly that this thing is not in the bag yet, it’s going to be close, GOTV, GOTV, GOTV.

November 10, 2012 at 10:36 am

Obama re-elected as President of the United States of America

// Barack Obama has been re-elected for another four year term as the President of the United States of America, it was revealed overnight. The White House race result was watched by millions worldwide, including Obama’s Irish cousin Henry Healy who tweeted at 4.18am Irish time: “Election called!! POTUS reelected! Congratulations @BarackObama”. Congratulations were this morning also passed to President Obama by Taoiseach Enda Kenny.

Mr Healy followed the election in the company of members of Democrats Abroad Ireland in Dublin. At 3.29am genealogist Megan Smolenyak tweeted him that it was “looking good for Moneygall”. Mr Healy replied just a minute later: “Megan it’s looking good for the world!!”…

…It’s hoped President Obama and his family might also visit Moneygall once more during his next term in office. //

34. 131 CEB
    November 10, 2012 at 10:37 am

Good morning Chips, TOD family (posters and Lurkers)

Like many of you, my elation regarding the stunning victory for us and the world, was also coupled by a descent into exhaustion (mostly emotional) that I was not even aware I had been carrying. I never doubted that PBO would win, but I was the cheerleader, information conveyer, confidence builder and comforter in my little area of influence so I guess it took a toll. However, after sleep and no TV (I seldom watch anyway) I am in full celebratory mode. Thanks again to this great community for the work, of all types, that got our president re-elected in a decisive manner.

• November 10, 2012 at 10:53 am

nice!
      i too was exhausted after election night…i had to keep reminding everyone around me that obama was not losing and certain states belonged to Romney lol..(election is sort of different here)… i was so excited after the win i didn’t go to bed util 4:30 am with 8:00 am classes after…i think i’ve revived now

35. 134 Grab a Mop Grace
    November 10, 2012 at 10:46 am

I remember reading some time ago that Souza would not be the Presidents photographer in a second term. Is that familiar to anyone else?
    That first photo is my favorite so far, post election.

OBAMA/BIDEN 4 more tears

November 10, 2012 at 10:51 am

The one and only pol that stood with PBO thick & thin through out this ordeal, which was steep and discouraging often times, since 2007 is Uncle Joe. The bestest POTUS-VPOTUS combination evah.

• 142 4morefor44
      November 10, 2012 at 10:57 am

have to agree with you there. i was not a fan of biden when he was chosen by barack, but after learning more about him, i started to see why he was picked, and of course president obama knew what he was doing! even though biden had been in the senate so long, he didn’t seem tainted and compromised by the usual suspects. i was surprised he never joined the clinton’s horrific d.l.c. group…one of the few established democrats not to (obama never joined either). joe is a good insurance policy too in a lot of ways…the billionaire cabal doesn’t want joe as president as much as they don’t want president obama there. joe doesn’t play their games either. yes, great one-two punch with barack and joe!

• November 10, 2012 at 11:15 am

I’ve always liked Joe very much. Now I love him to pieces. And the selection of Biden for VP sealed the deal for my Republican brother.

• 144 nathkatun7
          November 10, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Like you, meta, I’ve always loved Joe. May be because I’ve known him since he was elected as the youngest U.S. Senator in history. At the time he was only four years older than me. I thought both VP Mondale and VP Gore were excellent. But now I think VP Biden is the best in my lifetime. If Joe Biden decides to run in 2016 I will enthusiastically support him. Please no complaints about his age. Nelson Mandela was an excellent SA president in his seventies. I know of no one who is better equipped to carry on President Obama’s legacy and accomplishments than VP Joe Biden.

• 145 isonprize
      November 10, 2012 at 11:01 am

That’s why we call him “Ride or Die” Joey. Joe Biden is the man. Ridiculously smart on foreign policy, fiercely loyal and very down to earth. He rode the AMTRAK train to work every day. spoke to folks on the train and, until it just got too large, he held a Christmas party every year for the conductors, their families, and some of the passengers.

On the somewhat shallow side, I think he’s handsome and a stylish dresser. He’s old school with his well-tailored suits (always has a handkerchief in his pocket) and sharp in his casual wear (cracks me up with his popped collars and aviator sunglasses) On top of all that, he’s got to be the coolest grandpop ever!!

• 147 sherijr
      November 10, 2012 at 11:08 am

they are indeed- the best team ever. I’ve said this before, but they were my first & second choices for President, couldn’t have been more elated when POTUS picked Joe.. two very good men.

37. November 10, 2012 at 10:55 am

Good morning from Cloud Nine! First, thanks for posting the Moment of Gloat for us to enjoy–I heard about it on Twitter last night but couldn’t find it online anywhere. Great stuff! (I usually don’t watch TV but I’m starting to warm toward Lawrence, hehe.)

And sorry if this has been posted already, but I viewed a wonderful story on Facebook late last night and couldn’t wait to share it with you all. Hope the link to the picture works, but here’s the story:

“Last Friday (11/2/12) President Obama was speaking at our local high school. I took my 10wk old son with me. I did pack some formula in the bag as I knew the place would be packed and was unsure about breastfeeding in front of thousands. My son is an eater and seeing as we were there about 4hrs he had no problem devouring the 8oz I packed. So there I was front row with a hungry baby. I knew I didn’t want him to start crying, as the President had just begun to speak, so I covered him up with his blanket and let him go to town. I noticed the President glance at me while speaking and give a little smile. I thought surely I imagined it. Then, when he was done speaking he came down to do the usual crowd greeting, shaking hands and whatnot. As soon as he got close enough, he pointed to me and gestured his hands in the “hand me the baby” manner. So I handed my son over! He danced with him a second and kissed him on his forehead. As he was handing him back he smiled, nodded at me, and said good job. Everyone has been asking why he told me good job and I just giggle. Here I was worried about breastfeeding in front of all those people and the only person who noticed was The President of the United States, and he supports it! Best feeling EVER!”

:-)

November 10, 2012 at 10:58 am

I LOVE that!!! Mom was doing what Mom’s gotta do! Awesome find:)

• 150 Grab a Mop Grace
      November 10, 2012 at 11:05 am

Thanks for sharing Beth. I love this story, and I LOVE this President.

• 151 sherijr
      November 10, 2012 at 11:06 am

wow I love that too… our President is such a wonder.

• November 10, 2012 at 11:10 am

That’s a lovely story, Beth. Thank you

• 153 yardarm756
      November 10, 2012 at 11:12 am

Awesome. Thank you for sharing. That baby was blessed.

• 154 CEB
      November 10, 2012 at 11:14 am

Love the story. It also shows that our guy notices everything. He really sees and appreciates us,

PS I am still torn-up over his tearful expressions of gratitude and praise for the Chicago OFA group. What manner of man is he? We have never seen his like before; and probably will not again.

• 155 amk for obama
      November 10, 2012 at 11:21 am

What a sweet story. Kidz with Prez is the bestest moments of his presidency.

• 156 nathkatun7
      November 10, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Great job, Beth! Thanks for sharing your heart-worming story. As a product of breastfeeding, to this day I don’t understand why breastfeeding in public is considered a problem. I am proud that my President understood and approved of what you were doing to nurse your boy. I bet you he will grow up to be a strong and caring man who respects women the way both the President and VP Biden do.

November 10, 2012 at 10:56 am

I am sorry if my rant above was a bit too much. I am already seeing calls, nay demands, in the lefty blogs and twitter that OFA needs to stay engaged up to 2014. This after they delivered a stunning re-election of a prez in a hard economic time. It’s not even a fricking week. They are not machines, they are fricking people. Gimme a break.

39. 161 yardarm756
    November 10, 2012 at 11:02 am

Ahoy mateys

40. November 10, 2012 at 11:03 am

THIS. . .

• 165 CEB
      November 10, 2012 at 11:22 am

I live in the NE of this fucked up state; it is an embarrassment to the country and a joke to the world. Additionally, the ass hole gov. just stated again that Obamacare would not be instituted here. Wishful thinking after the Supreme Court decision and the ammendment that was voted down during the election. He lives in an alternate reality like the other vicious fools that LOD highlighted in the gloat video. His days are numbered.

41. November 10, 2012 at 11:08 am

Happy Saturday, everyone :)

42. 172 Vicki Green
    November 10, 2012 at 11:12 am

This victory has been enormous in scope. How enormous is emerging slowly but surely: With 20% of the Arizona vote Still Uncounted, the GOP margins are in doubt. I don’t know if Richard Carmona will pull it out but evidently it is still possible.
    Florida, obviously still in disarray , with Dem. votes Still Uncounted.
    California says large amounts of Dem votes Still Uncounted.
    Several seats in Congress—Still Undecided.

Folk…. as stupendous as this week has been for us all at TOD I thnk it is only getting better.

43. 177 NurseShar
    November 10, 2012 at 11:39 am

Morning folks, any news on the Florida results yet?

November 10, 2012 at 11:43 am

They’re still scraping the barrel hoping to find some miraculous votes for Willard. Reports are that they have to be done by noon and declare a winner. As Marlz indicated above, PBO has a lead of over 64K votes, yet they’re still counting looking feverishly for extra ballots with Willard’s name on them. Whereas in 2000, they called it for Bush after a margin of just 500 votes.

November 10, 2012 at 12:04 pm

While I am ashame of my state for going for Mitt Romney ( North Carolina), if I was from Florida I would be so much more ashame if i was from that state. What a embarrassment they are.

44. 180 idon
    November 10, 2012 at 11:42 am

Hi TOD family :) Chips, when will you start posting information about the 2013 Inauguration and any pre-events? We had that great celebration concert before the Inauguration in 2009. Will we have anything similar this year? Also, I wanted to know if we will be getting information on where the Presidential library will be built and how regular folks can contribute. Will it be in two states – Illinois and Hawaii? Will we have a Vice Presidential library in Delaware? WIll there be a special library for the two extraordinary wives of PBO and VeepJB?

45. 183 anniebella
    November 10, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I need to tell Lawrence O’Donnell to remind me to NEVER call on those Republicans when I’m betting on who will win the Super Bowl, or who will make it to the Final Four, or win the NBA Championship.

• 184 HZ
      November 10, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Good Morning/Afternoon my beautiful Chips and TOD Family. It is a lovely day here on the westcoast. Cool but lovely breeze with a slight chill coming with it. I am sitting here enjoying the day knowing that we have re-elected our president for another 4 years. What joy!!!!

Oh, what a life to be able to also sit here and chat with my loving brother who is visiting his sis on his way our of the country for a little vacation from his demanding job. It is so wonderful to talk about our mother, father and grandparents, nieces, great nieces and our growing up. This is precious time. Enjoying drinking tea and laughing together is so much fun. He is a great cook but total vegetarian, so our meals are a little different, but so much fun to cook and relax.

I am the happiest senior on the westcoast to have his company. I mother and father would are smiling as we laugh and just honor them in our visit. I feel good today, and will continue to enjoy his visit.

Pray for me to keep up with him and enjoy our time together. I also told him about our TOD family and he is so happy for me having this beautiful space.

I hope all is well is everyone in my TOD family and we are beginning to get some rest and relax a little. What a joy we have to celebrate for our POTUS.

Chips and TOD family, I love you all so very much, and I will keep checking in so I will not be so behind in the news here. (((((((((((((((( Lots of love and warm hugs to my Chips and TOD family.)))))))))) Prayer and meditation are two powerful spaces in our lives. I prayed and meditated on seeing my brother on a visit out here, and look where he is today. I am so blessed. I pray for all of us to take time and enjoy our families and loved ones when the opportunity presents itself. Be happy and joyful within your space, TOD family.

I love you all so very much.(((((((((((((((((((((( Be joyful today))))))))))))))))))))))))))HZ