Nov

Rise and Shine

Can you believe it’s almost a week ago?

Tuesday: The President will attend meetings at the White House, including meetings with union and progressive leaders -

Mary Kay Henry, SEIU * Lee Saunders, AFSCME * Dennis Van Roekel, NEA * Rich Trumka, AFL-CIO * Neera Tanden, Center for American Progress * John Podesta, Center for American Progress * Bob Greenstein, Center for Budget and Policy Priorities * Laura Burton Capps, Common Purpose Project * Max Richtman, National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare * Justin Ruben, MoveOn * Deepak Bhargava, Center for Community Change

Wednesday: Holds a news conference in the East Room. Will also meet with more than a dozen CEOs representing major corporations

Thursday: Travels to the New York City area to view the storm damage, talk with citizens who are recovering from the storm and thank first responders who put their lives at risk to protect their communities

Friday: Meets with Congressional leaders of both parties at the White House

Cagle

NYT: Having helped President Obama win re-election, labor leaders will meet with him on Tuesday and intend to offer their robust support for what they view as his mandate: stand tough against cuts in Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security and keep pushing to raise taxes on the wealthy.

…. “We expect to have the president’s back on the agenda that the voters just declared support for,” said Mary Kay Henry, president of the Service Employees International Union, which spent $75 million in backing Mr. Obama and various Democrats this year. “The president has always said he needs a movement behind his mandate.”

Mr. Obama has talked of going beyond the Beltway to stir up support for his plans, including increasing taxes on households with incomes of more than $250,000. Union leaders have made clear that they are happy to turn out the troops to – in a tactic from the Franklin D. Roosevelt era – “make him do it.” Union members held rallies in 100 communities last Thursday as a first step in promoting the president’s budget plan.

Full article here

Cagle

Cagle

Cagle

Moooooooorning!

243 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    November 13, 2012 at 8:46 am

Goodmorning TOD!

2. 12 ber6964
    November 13, 2012 at 8:46 am

Good Morning TODville!

3. 13 ber6964
    November 13, 2012 at 8:47 am

Congrats Alycee on First!

4. 15 Cheryllou
    November 13, 2012 at 8:48 am

Good morning everyone. Congrats on being first Alycee!

5. 16 Pamela
    November 13, 2012 at 8:48 am

Alycee! :)

6. November 13, 2012 at 8:49 am

Good Morning, Chips!! Good Morning, TODville!! Barack Obama is President of the United States!!

7. November 13, 2012 at 8:50 am

Good morning TOD’s Empress For Life, the one and only, your Mayor and author of Port-a-Potty Books, (drumroll please) Miss Chipstick!!!

8. 31 Pamela
    November 13, 2012 at 8:50 am

Is that a pool of GOLD in that toon? HaHaHa! Freaking brilliant! And the money scattered on the ground… Ha!

9. November 13, 2012 at 8:50 am

Morning my friends, have a great day. Off to work!!! You go Alycee!!!! Hi Chips.

10. 33 relellit
    November 13, 2012 at 8:53 am

Good morning Chips and Todville

Congratulations on 1st

Another day of Sex, Lies, & e-mails :oops: Ughhhh!

Everyone have a nice day :)

• November 13, 2012 at 8:57 am

Morning relellit! Am I the only one bored by this ‘SCANDAL!’ already?

• 35 Alycee (@jazziz2)
        November 13, 2012 at 9:11 am

No, you are not alone. Other topics I’m tired of — the RWNJ meltdown, “what the republicans should do to regroup (why are Dems on TV telling the repugs how to get back in the game? lookin’ at you ed rendell…), “PBO won, so he should cave to the repugs…” and on and on…

• 39 dotster3
        November 13, 2012 at 9:12 am

I must be shallow. I think the whole thing is unbelievable. (I also confess to liking Lifetime movies, so maybe….) It just goes against all conventional wisdom—-the disciplined military brass etc.—-the generals and their women—-the obsessed, possessive biographer—–and this Tampa gal—–with her silver Mercedes with the “Honorary Consul” license plates—–“social liaison” indeed. She was busy!

• November 13, 2012 at 9:16 am

I can’t even keep track of it anymore Dotster – new women seem to be popping up in the story all over the place! I’m absolutely stunned that a man with his experience and background got involved in this, but I suppose there’s one weakness even the likes of him can’t resist :roll:

• 41 Pamela
          November 13, 2012 at 9:17 am

It’s all total bullshit… It is a smokescreen as they have N.O.T.H.I.N.G at all at all at all to talk about now that their “man” lost so miserably. David Petraeus, is only human, he has done some incredible work in the military, and he does not deserve this. The media seek to keep us all on their low level of consciousness. It ain’t working, they are fools. And those who listen and judge, fools also. Now, bye bye my butterflies! I must get along…..

November 13, 2012 at 8:57 am

Chips, I saw your tweet with the cartoon. You my friend, have just won the internetz.

Can’t believe it was a week ago Karl Rove was having a meltdown on Fox News as all news stations – including Fox – called the election for Pres. Obama. Ahhh……Good Times.

12. 43 sherijr
    November 13, 2012 at 8:57 am

Hola! and a very Happy Tuesday to all… I too have now purchased the Scout T. book, Yes We Can.. thanks to you good folks :)

November 13, 2012 at 8:58 am

Let me just put in my 2 cents on the Carmona race. The Latino voter registration was unprecedented. RM was right to mention the fact that Arpiao and his ugly posse minions would have effected the turnout for this this election….they have lived in terror for years and finally made their voices heard…Flake was behind by 4 points at one point and called in the “help” of Crossroads and other RWNJ PACS to help him spew his lies (you’d have thought that Flake was running against PBO for crying out loud).

We have a birther SOS…I hope that the DOJ gets involved in this, because I don’t trust these guys at ALL to do the right thing. Ever. I have lived many places in my life, and never have I seen a more corrupt state govt as they have here.To the core…they are bought, paid for, and rotten.

I hope that Carmona ends up winning this thing…if he doesn’t, I will never believe that this wasn’t stolen from him….

• November 13, 2012 at 9:41 am

I just watched that Maddow video and was shocked at the level of deception and manipulation on the part of your own government. Something has to be done, for sure. It’s insane that it’s gotten this far without remedy.

14. 46 lisalovesobama
    November 13, 2012 at 8:59 am

I wish Wednesday would hurry up and come. I miss seeing my pookie! It’ll be great seeing him in real time, even though he’ll be surrounded by jackals, asking questions about sex and Benghazi. {sigh}

November 13, 2012 at 9:00 am

Where did my comment go??

16. November 13, 2012 at 9:00 am

This is what is wrong with the 24h news cycle, I just went to checkout the the upgraded runnersworld website and this is on the front page:
    “Petraeus Paramour Is A 1:36 Half-Marathoner” SERIOUSLY!!!

17. 58 dotster3
    November 13, 2012 at 9:06 am

More proof that Repubs are cra—zee. Arizona woman furious that Obama won ran down her husband with her car because he didn’t vote. I guess her brain cells told her it was all his fault that Willard did not prevail. He is in critical condition in the hospital, expected to survive. Not sure about the marriage; this drastic action may have put a bit of a crimp in the bliss.

November 13, 2012 at 9:07 am

Conservative media is a political force, but first and foremost it’s a business. And that business’ primary customers have grown used to a particular product. Those customers are, above all, older white men, and the product is that particular combination of anger, resentment, and contempt for people outside the tribe that has characterized conservative media for so long. Fox News has the oldest audience of any of the cable channels, and they like what Hannity, O’Reilly, and the rest of the gang have been giving them just fine. They like hearing that Barack Obama is a socialist America-hater destroying our country. They like the culture war. It keeps them coming back. So if you were Sean Hannity, and you understood that perfectly well, what incentive would you have to change?

19. 65 JER
    November 13, 2012 at 9:12 am

A petition to Terry J. Lundgren, Chairman of the Board, CEO and President at Macy’s Inc. which says:

“Macy’s: Donald Trump does not reflect the “magic of Macy’s.” We urge you to sever ties with him. Macy’s says it has a strong obligation to be “socially responsible” and that “actions speak louder than words.” Indeed. It’s time to act.”

Will you sign this petition? Click here: http://signon.org/sign/urge-macys-to-dump-donald?source=s.em.mt&r_by=6012169

• 66 daisydem
      November 13, 2012 at 9:32 am

I signed that yesterday. I love Macy’s ; always have. And now I don’t have one real close to me, but I have done some mail order. I hope they listen to their customers.

• 67 susanne
        November 13, 2012 at 4:00 pm

same here. i get a little twitchy when there’s a sale on towels–mail order madness. but i wrote them i’d have to stop shopping there if they partner with that puke.

20. November 13, 2012 at 9:14 am

Good Tuesday Morning all you O’s!!! What a great getting up day on the TOD porch, wouldn’t you say? Well, I woke up to more LOL in the latest saga of Who’s on First. There may be something after all to that whole theory of ‘women’s bodies have a way to shut that thing down.’

I’m rolling over here.
    – Other man wanna be FBI agent sends other other woman pics of his hairy chest.
    – Other other woman gets ‘leave my man and my other man alone’ email from Genl Peterlus’ other woman
    – Other other woman calls on other man wanna be agent for help getting the other woman off her back
    – Other other woman is able to get a full scale FBI investigation launched on a private citizen by it’s elite cyber intelligence unit
    – Other woman found to have a romantic tryst with Genl Peterlus and discovers other other woman
    -Other other woman is hostess extraordinaire to high level military including Genl Peterlus and the other other woman’s other other military man Genl All-in Johnston
    – Other woman also knows about other other woman’s dealings with Genl other other man and sends email ‘you better leave all my Generals alone’
    – FBI finds nothing but a girls gone wild, but nooooo, agent other man wanna be wants to do more than just send pics of his chest.
    – Agent other man wanna be has ulterior political motives and involves high level Repub in Congress
    – High level Repub says to agent other man wanna be, “Why the @$@#$ you telling me this @$#% for???!!! Don’t you see me in the middle of my own $@$@4 campaign? Don’t you know Peterlus is one of ours? You @@#@% idiot! You were so eager to pin this on PBO you exposed one of our best guys!!! Get the ^&%*% outta my face you agent other man wanna be!!!!”
    -Enter stage right; other man Genl All-in Johnston, not to be outdone in having a biography done by a young woman, submits his own 30,000 page bio to the other other woman for her review
    -Other woman and Genl Peterlus are called in and told they are in deep poo poo.
    -Other woman husband cancels other woman’s 40th birthday celebration
    -Genl Peterlus cancels his career
    -Genl All-in Johnston cancels his promotion
    -Other woman lives in same block as Presidential hopeful’s other woman
    -Other woman’s book climbs steadily in sales on the best seller list
    -Other other woman has book deal offers in the making

Girl Power!!!

21. 81 dotster3
    November 13, 2012 at 9:32 am

The epitome of delusion. Lock him up!

22. November 13, 2012 at 9:33 am

Good Morning Ms Chips and TOD family. Our country celebrates Diwali with a public holiday today. So I say, after lighting up deyas and stuffing my face with Indian sweets, Happy Diwali to all.

• 93 cookemom
      November 13, 2012 at 9:49 am

Do tell us what Diwali celebrates and what is a deyes. It sounds so fascinating. That’s two days in a row that I’ve heard of national celebrations from other countries. Amk celebrated yesterday, though I didn’t catch what it was for. Enjoy your day!

• November 13, 2012 at 10:14 am

Diwali is known in Trinidad as the Festival of the Llights, and deyas are small earthen clay lamps used to hail the arrival of Laksmi, goddess of riches and opulence. Food galore and indian sweets are offered in many homes to friends, and family when they visit.

• 95 cookemom
          November 13, 2012 at 10:21 am

This sounds so exciting. I think we should have something like that here. I’d sure welcome the arrival of Laksmi. My daughter visited there last year and loved it. She said the people were extra nice and accommodating and the country is beautiful. I will tell her about Diwali. Thanks.

23. 96 japa21
    November 13, 2012 at 9:40 am

Okay, the election was a week ago, but according to CNN CA is only 71% in, Oregon 75% in, WA 55% in and OH 90% in. Is this delay all due to provisional ballots and mail-ins? It seems to me that PBO still has a lot of votes coming in.

24. November 13, 2012 at 9:42 am

I wonder what Miss Moneypenny would say?

25. November 13, 2012 at 9:44 am

Put that pipe down, Paul!

• 111 utaustinliberal
      November 13, 2012 at 9:48 am

Yeah…because Janesville, Wisconsin, Iowa, and New Hampshire are all “urban” areas with “urban” votes.

• November 13, 2012 at 9:48 am

“Put that pipe down, Paul!”

:lol:

Urban? Such a cute code word, Mr Ryan.

• 113 lisalovesobama
      November 13, 2012 at 9:48 am

On TPM there’s a brief quote going on and on about how he was completely stunned they lost the election because ‘ all the numbers said they would win. However, they realized they were done in by the unprecedented amount of turnout.’ Lesson learned: more voter suppression!

November 13, 2012 at 9:48 am

Code for “Black” vote. Yet, the statistics show that if all Black people had stayed home on election day, PBO would have won STILL! So I’m with you Jovie – Paul needs to put that pipe down.

November 13, 2012 at 10:03 am

These extreme Republicans are something else. So Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan didn’t lose because of their extreme radical issues, it was because black folks got out and voted for Barack Obama because he was black. I guess that is why the Republicans did all they could to suppress our votes. These guys are something else, thank God they lost.

• 117 nathkatun7
        November 13, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Apparently there are no black or urban people in Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina, North Carolina, Missouri, Indiana, Arkansans, Louisiana, and Texas — all states won by Romney.

26. 118 anne
    November 13, 2012 at 9:48 am

So waiting for LL’s piece. I know i didn’t miss anything right? cause also check tpv blog… no pressure LL….. but anytime now would be good!!! Hehe. Thanks LL, bobf, meta and every single body else on this wonderful blog. We So Happy! And to our Mighty Chips…..you work so hard. You amaze us all. Love you so so much.

27. November 13, 2012 at 9:51 am
    • 120 utaustinliberal
      November 13, 2012 at 10:03 am

This is mind blowing fantastic news. This is huge. Top-notch fuel efficiency standards actually lead to a better environment and a country controlling its own resources instead of being jerked around by other oil countries. Pres. Obama’s policies lead to a better future for all because other countries/leaders begin to emulate some of his policies and progress gradually ensues.

• November 13, 2012 at 10:05 am

It’s amazing news UT, spread it far and wide!

• 122 Smoothscotch
        November 13, 2012 at 10:40 am

Good morning everyone. The point about the other countries/leaders emulating some of PBO policies, last nite on Al-jazeera, there was a British parliament rep. (Female) who was questioning Starbucks CEO and another global company about them not paying enough taxes and they were using the PEOPLE’S infrastructure, you know roads, electricity etc with no payback from these companies but they have their hands out. SOUND FAMILIAR. Time to pay your fair share.
        It’s going global.

• November 13, 2012 at 11:43 am

It also puts us in the driver’s seat after the King of Saudi Arabia dies and the Saudi’s get restless and maybe revolt against their Princes, who I’ve read they hate very much.

28. 124 dotster3
    November 13, 2012 at 9:51 am

Skip if you’re tired of The Scandal, but Roger Simon’s take is perfect and on the money. I still think one of the juiciest tidbits, fascinating to me and inconsequential, is that Petraeus demanded that fresh cut pineapple slices be placed by his bedside nightly.

• November 13, 2012 at 9:54 am

Weeping over the fresh pineapple slices!! It’s a strange, strange world these folk live in.

• 129 cookemom
      November 13, 2012 at 10:04 am

I love it!!! What a great way to break from the weight of the election. I’m thinking the other other woman, Kelley, had her stuff together. The other woman Bromwell, didn’t know how the game was played and ruined it for everyone. I have to wonder if the men in this scenario knew about each other being with the other woman and the other other woman.

• 136 itgurl_29
      November 13, 2012 at 10:36 am

I don’t wanna go there on a family blog, but the pineapple thing is really embarrassing. It’s not just cause he wants a snack. I’ll leave it at that.

November 13, 2012 at 10:38 am

I will skip, because I am “D” tired of it and i am tired of Senator Diana Feinstein too. She is always showing up on Fox running her mouth, makes me wonder about her.

• November 13, 2012 at 10:56 am

She’s a student of the Alexander Haig school of ‘I’m in charge’.

• 144 cookemom
        November 13, 2012 at 11:00 am

I think she partied too hard after the election and didn’t know what was going on around her. We knew more than she did about the whole thing. I’d be embarrassed to admit it. Doesn’t she read any newspapers?

• 145 Chi
          November 14, 2012 at 5:37 am

Dianne Feinstein is one of those Dems that deserve to be looked upon with musch distrust and disdain…

I voted for her and encouraged others to do so just so we held on to the Senate…

But she is really a double agent and does as much as possible to publicly override/cross President Obama…

She prefers to make public pronouncements about important National Intelligence matters on FOX news instead of having private discussions with the President who happens to be of her party…

I’ll never forget when she called a press conference to warn President Obama about not immediately meeting the demands of the generals in Afghanistan on sending more troops – a conversation she could have had privately with the President, a fellow Democrat…

She’s simply no good…

• 146 cookemom
            November 14, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I don’t disdain anyone. I don’t know Ms. Feinstein personally so I wouldn’t go to that extent in characterizing her. The tactic she uses as a Dem politician may be questionable, but I don’t do name calling other than in jest.

29. 147 Ladyhawke
    November 13, 2012 at 9:51 am

The world’s top oil producer

By Steve Benen

—————————————-

Quick quiz: which country is slated to be the world’s larger producer of oil in 2017? If you guessed Saudi Arabia, you’re mistaken.
    In the national elections that just wrapped up, it was fairly common to hear Republicans suggest President Obama and other Democrats are scaling back domestic oil production, and refuse to make use of domestic resources. The complaints seem a little silly in light of the International Energy Agency’s findings — not only is oil production up over the last four years, but the United States will soon pass the Saudis as the top oil producer on the planet.

What’s more, note that the IEA’s Birol said nearly half of the nation’s projected self-sufficiency is the result of “improving energy efficiency in the United States, primarily from the Obama administration’s new fuel economy standards for cars,” efficiency standards opposed by Republicans.

Indeed, the IEA’s report specifically emphasized the fact that “energy efficiency is just as important as unconstrained energy supply.”

————————————

30. 148 Ladyhawke
    November 13, 2012 at 10:07 am

Robert Reich: Why Taxes Have to Be Raised on the Rich

• 149 HZ
      November 13, 2012 at 11:44 am

Good Morning my beautiful Chips and TOD Famiy. Another beautiful sunny and crisp day on the westcoast. Just beautiful. I hope and pray that everyone of my TOD family members are having a beautiful morning.

I am joyful for this day and super joyful for my beautiful TOD family. I had a few chuckles as I was reading up ahead. These people just can’t let good enough just be. And this is the “Family Values” group, right. Who wrote their books. Oh well.

I sincerely hope that the media will let this go and allow the General and family to have some time to regroup and heal. We really do not need to know their personal business. There is too much at stake to get our eyes off of the purpose of working so hard to get POB re-elected. Plus, POB has a country to take care of and he now has to worry about these fools keeping their women straight and their pants up.

Now today is celebration day of our first week of victory. Do something in memory of all of the faithful, including all of us here who worked so hard to get our POTUS another four years. I have a rose for POTUS, FLOTUS, VPOTUS, and Dr. Biden , and our First Daughters on my breakfast table. My brother and other guest will center our blessing as we eat around this thanksgiving for our president. Just enjoy one thing.

I am still enjoying my brother’s visit. They will leave in another day or so, and I will be sad to see them go,but I have truly been so blessed by his visit. Just so wonderful to have two beautiful blessing all at once. POTUS election and my dear brother’s visit. Keep me in your thoughts, prayers, and meditations. I will always keep my TOD family in mine. (((((( Love you all so dearly))))))))HZ

31. 150 Ladyhawke
    November 13, 2012 at 10:09 am

TAXES ARE GOOD

“I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilization.” – Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

“Taxes, after all, are dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

——————————-

Lakoff argues that we need to promote a very different view of taxes—one that uses a very different kind of metaphor. The metaphor he suggests is that of taxes as “dues”.

Taxes are our dues — we pay our dues to be Americans and enjoy the benefits of American society. Taxes are what we pay to live in a civilized society that is democratic, offers opportunity, and has a huge infrastructure available to all citizens. This incredible infrastructure has been paid for by previous taxpayers. Roads and highways, the Internet, the broadcast airwaves, our public education system, our power grid — every day we all use this vast infrastructure. Our dues maintain it.2

It is about being a member, a part of the community. People pay a membership fee to join a gym, the local YMCA, or a club for which they get to use the basketball courts, the swimming pool, and the golf course. They did not pay for these facilities with their own memberships. They were built and paid for by other members, and all the current members maintain them with their dues. It is the same thing with our country — being a member in good standing of a remarkable nation. Americans pay their dues.

This idea of taxes as dues is not original to Lakoff. It is an idea that has often been expressed, but has not been promoted with the same ferocity or persistence of the taxes-as-affliction metaphor. Franklin Delano Roosevelt once remarked that “Taxes, after all, are dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society.” And Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. expressed a similar sentiment when he said that “I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilization.”

——————————

32. November 13, 2012 at 10:16 am

Amk bait:

33. November 13, 2012 at 10:17 am
  34. 163 Ladyhawke
    November 13, 2012 at 10:19 am

Help Push to Get Elizabeth Warren on the Senate Banking Committee

By: Sarah Jones

—————————–

Warren has been dubbed the “New Sheriff of Wall Street” by Time magazine and the Boston Globe defined her as “… the plainspoken voice of people getting crushed by so many predatory lenders and under regulated banks.”

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, along with Senate Democratic Steering and Outreach Committee, will make the appointment. If you want to push back against the lobbyists and the entrenched powers that be, let Harry Reid know that you want him to appoint Warren to the Senate Banking Committee. Yes, there’s a petition for that.

——————————

35. 166 Soca Sweet
    November 13, 2012 at 10:21 am

Hi Chips,

To celebrate the one week anniversary, can we please have a video of the election victory call. Any one. Thank You

• 167 cookemom
      November 13, 2012 at 10:24 am

PRESIDENT OBAMA WINS RE-ELECTION!!!!!!!!!! YEA!!!! YEA!!!! WE WON!!! WE WON!!!!

Oh I didn’t see that you wanted the video….’scuzi

36. November 13, 2012 at 10:24 am

republicans brought down their own just to make obama look bad. it didn’t work. these people are crazy, please god don’t let republican get back on top.

37. 171 yardarm756
    November 13, 2012 at 10:24 am

Gooood morning TODers. I see the MSM is up and manning the rails for all salacious details of an old mans sex life while we have troops dying and loads of people without heat/electricity. We’re in trouble ppl. Big trouble.

38. November 13, 2012 at 10:25 am
  39. 181 0388jojothecat
    November 13, 2012 at 10:30 am

Funny how morning joke thinks someones sex life is none of anyone’s business of course if they are a republican. He had no problem with gop congress spending $25 million to investigage President Clinton when nothing regarding white water was found to be illegal but let him pursue the affair between two adults having sex in the WH. None of those bone heads on teevee brought that to his attention…unbelievable.

• 182 cookemom
      November 13, 2012 at 10:39 am

What’s unbelievable about it? They know it, and we know it. Why would it be any different this morning? Joe may be heading into dangerous territory about his own discretion, but hey. who cares! Now on to something of substance. I wonder if the other woman Bromwell thought she was really all that and a piece of cake? I say she didn’t hold a candle to the more mature and experienced other other woman Kelley. That’s what I call a serious matter.

40. November 13, 2012 at 10:47 am

Democrat Kyrsten Sinema will be headed to Congress, according to the Associated Press.

The vote count is the same as when we checked with the Maricopa County Recorder’s office earlier this morning — Sinema’s up nearly 5,800 votes — but that appears to be a solid-enough lead.

41. November 13, 2012 at 10:49 am

Petraeus hoped affair would stay secret and he could keep his job as CIA director

FBI agents searched the home of the woman at the center of the scandal involving former CIA director David H. Petraeus on Monday evening, carrying away boxes and bags of material and taking photographs inside her home in Charlotte.

A senior law enforcement official said the agents were searching for any classified or sensitive documents that may have been in the possession of Paula Broadwell, a former military officer and Petraeus biographer whose extramarital affair with him led to his resignation Friday.

42. 185 ctgirl7
    November 13, 2012 at 10:53 am

Obama agenda: Meeting with his base

“When President Barack Obama meets with labor leaders Tuesday about looming tax and spending decisions, he will confront a liberal wing of his party energized by last week’s election and dug in against making deals with Republicans. These groups held more than 100 events last week to trumpet their success at the polls and remind voters that many Democratic candidates pledged during the campaign to push for higher taxes on upper-income earners and oppose cuts to Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid benefits,” The Wall Street Journal writes. “Mr. Obama’s challenge on Tuesday, and for at least the next several weeks, is to convince the left that he needs some latitude to fashion a deal with Republicans that might include compromising on some positions the liberal wing considers nonnegotiable.”

• 186 cookemom
      November 13, 2012 at 11:11 am

WSJ? Since when do they care about what liberals want or of what PBO has to convince folks. They are useless and another example of what PBO and his supporters have to do to accommodate the losing team.

43. 187 Soca Sweet
    November 13, 2012 at 11:00 am

Gallup has POTUS’ job approval at 55%

• 188 amk for obama
      November 13, 2012 at 11:05 am

Who gives a shite anymore about gallup? See silver’s list of pollsters. gallup brought up the rear end as the worst of the lot.

• 189 japa21
        November 13, 2012 at 11:09 am

I think in this case they are probably pretty close to correct. And 55% just after a heated election is pretty damn good.

• 190 amk for obama
          November 13, 2012 at 11:13 am

stopped clock ain’t much useful. It’s time we stopped the these biased and corrupt pollsters set the narrative. 2012 is over and Obama is not running in four years. So all this ‘approval ratings’ are bunk and mean bupkiss.

• 191 donna dem 4 obama
      November 13, 2012 at 11:12 am

Actually its Rasmussen but Gallup and Ras are one in the same as far as I’m concerned.

They lost ALL credibility in this last election. So I really no longer care what these bogus pollsters say. They need to be run out of town on a rail.

BTW if he says its at 55% there is a high probability that the actual approval rate is 65%. PBO was bound to get an election win bump because the BEST candidate won and the Nation knows it ;)

November 13, 2012 at 11:10 am

And chips, no more fucking “polls” posts. Just do it. Sick of the mofos.

45. 202 Don
    November 13, 2012 at 11:11 am

Anything over 200 Democrats in the house is gravy, I’m sure Polosi and the gang will be able to flip 15 to 20 Republicans. I see a lot getting done before the year ends.

• 203 amk for obama
      November 13, 2012 at 11:16 am

Yup, that’s my feeling too. I posted in the last thread how the incoming repubs as well some re-elected repubs in the house said FU to norquist and his treasonous pledge.

The tide will turn and the shurb’s treasonous taxcuts for the 1% will die com new year.

• 204 Don
        November 13, 2012 at 11:21 am

Yep, the Republicans are in a race against time. Come Jan 1st the tax cuts expire and come Jan 2014 some of their asses will expire during the midterms.

• 205 cookemom
      November 13, 2012 at 11:26 am

Hadn’t thought of that. Good point. Now it will be bi-partisan cause surely there’s at least 15-20 ‘Pubs from districts who’d rather they vote with the Dems.

• 206 japa21
        November 13, 2012 at 11:49 am

The only problem with that is that it only helps if legislation is brought to the floor for a vote, and that is up to Boehner. His public philosophy is that he will not bring anything to the floor unless a majority of the GOP caucus will vote for it. In other words, a majority of representatives of the people is not enough.

• 207 Don
          November 13, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Point taken japa21, but I think that Boehner has no choice but to bring to the floor whatever the Senate agrees to. I don’t see the majority of Republican house members standing strong against the tidal wave of support President Obama has gotten from voters. Even those house members in Republican districts will feel the pressure to get something done to avoid looking like obstructionist.

• 208 57andfemale
      November 13, 2012 at 12:02 pm

That’s my feeling, too.

46. 209 Don
    November 13, 2012 at 11:12 am

Nancy Pelosi* sorry.

47. 210 donna dem 4 obama
    November 13, 2012 at 11:18 am
    • 211 amk for obama
      November 13, 2012 at 11:20 am

Thanks donna and Happy Deepavali to you too.

• 212 cookemom
        November 13, 2012 at 11:28 am

Is Diwali the same as Deepavali?

• 213 amk for obama
          November 13, 2012 at 11:31 am

Yes. We cultured southies call it Deepavali. Unlike the northies, it’s not about Goddess Lakshmi and money for us at all. It’s all about good conquering evil.

• 214 cookemom
            November 13, 2012 at 11:39 am

Well now I’m confused, but that’s pretty normal for me. It sounds like I’d enjoy the celebrations of both the southies and the northies. No way I get involved in cultural wars between the two. Though I do tend to lean toward a Goddess. Wimin and all that you know.

• 215 amk for obama
              November 13, 2012 at 11:44 am

Oh, Hinduism has thousands of goddesses and most of the mythical stories are all about how the wimmin goddesses are putting the “mankind” in place. :)

• 216 Don
      November 13, 2012 at 11:26 am

Ambassador Rice tweeted that yesterday. It is small gestures like that that make this administration respected around the world. That asshole John Bolton wouldn’t do anything like that.

• 217 amk for obama
        November 13, 2012 at 11:37 am

It’s close a billion people who celebrate Deepavali. That’s three times the US population. It’s plain common sense you extend your good will to them.

For long, we were with russians. So US hedged on pakistan as a firewall in a stupid short-sighted strategy as a check against russia and china.

Obama is the first prez to realize the strategic importance of having India, rather than Pakistan, on US side.

• 218 57andfemale
          November 13, 2012 at 12:04 pm

‘Common sense’ is often missing in American politics.

What makes me crazy is that PBO doesn’t get anywhere near the credit he deserves for repairing the damage done by Republican administrations to foreign policy.

• November 13, 2012 at 11:52 am

That’s the best an Elephant has looked all year.

48. November 13, 2012 at 11:26 am

Another over privileged dummy:

The teenage son of a wealthy backcountry Greenwich resident and a supermodel mom has come to the attention of the Secret Service for joking in a text about killing President Barack Obama.

“We are aware of the tweet and we will take appropriate follow-up steps,” Secret Service spokesman Edwin Donovan said Monday evening.

Donovan declined to elaborate on what those steps might be.

After the election, Peter Brant II posted a screen shot of his exchange with friend Andrew Warren to Instagram, a photo-sharing social network.

After Warren complained that they were poorer following Obama’s re-election, Brant responded “I have a contingency plan. Kill Obama hahaha.”

Donovan acknowledged that “everybody has a right to free speech,” but underscored the responsibilities of the Secret Service.

“The Secret Service has a right and obligation to determine someone’s intent,” Donovan said.

In a statement emailed to Greenwich Time last week by public relations firm Rubenstein Associates, Brant said he and his wife, Stephanie Seymour, were “deeply troubled” by their son’s behavior.

Read more: http://www.greenwichtime.com/news/article/Secret-Service-following-up-on-Brant-text-4030778.php#ixzz2C7XiyC54

• 222 Don
      November 13, 2012 at 11:40 am

This young asshole never had to work a day in his entire pampered existence yet has the balls to complain about President Obama. I could understand if his old man complained, at least the old man actually went out and worked for something. But the old man didn’t complain, it was his snot-nosed wise guy son that complained. Hopefully the old man will tell the son to shut the fuck up and keep going to gallery openings.

49. 223 FiredUpInCA
    November 13, 2012 at 11:30 am

I thought I was paying attention this election season, but I definitely missed this:

Van Jones:

“For the progressives who threw ourselves on hand grenades for the president over the past 24 months and especially the past six months, we are not going to be happy at all if he turns around and takes a chainsaw to Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security in pursuit of some misguided so-called grand bargain.'”

What could he possibly be referring to in the past 24 months and especially the past six months?

A broad coalition re-elected this President, most of whom would describe their support of his vision and policies as something they were thrilled to do and do again in a heartbeat, as opposed to throwing themselves on a grenade.

Seriously, what the hell is Van Jones talking about?

• 224 amk for obama
      November 13, 2012 at 11:42 am

He is a fucking firebagger who got a recent teann gig on election night because of his firebaggery. This Obama bashing from the left ain’t gonna cut it anymore. As you point out, it’s a wide coalition that re-elected him, not the loony left.

• 225 Chi
        November 14, 2012 at 5:46 am

I must have missed something, because I never saw or heard Van Jones do anything but try to strip away support from President Obama…

• 226 donna dem 4 obama
      November 13, 2012 at 11:42 am

He is vying for a show on CNN. Apparently they have started bringing him on for his “outstanding insight” to all things progressive.

He lost me over a year ago. Another one that’s talking loud and saying nothing IMO. He needs to run for office if he can do it better. Standing on the sidelines being an armchair quarterback will get you nothing in my book!!!

• 227 amk for obama
        November 13, 2012 at 11:47 am

Great minds and all that. :)

• 228 donna dem 4 obama
          November 13, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Yep! I follow his twitter feed and his minions have all been pumping him up and asking CNN to give him his own show. Anyone who is willing to go on these shows and spend most of their time criticizing the President will be guaranteed airtime. They are simply being used by our lazy, sloppy cable media.

• 229 nathkatun7
        November 13, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Bravo, Donna! I feel the same way about all these armchair pundits.

• November 13, 2012 at 11:44 am

Wait, he threw himself on hand grenades for POTUS? When? Where? Why? I must have missed that.

• 231 Don
      November 13, 2012 at 11:52 am

It’s kinda hard to throw yourself on a grenade as you run from green room to green room eating whatever pastries they have laying around before you go on camera to tell anyone that will listen how you threw yourself on a grenade for President Obama. Listen Jones, President Obama plucked you from obscurity and gave you a job in his administration and this is how you repay him? It wasn’t President Obama’s fault you weren’t smart enough to avoid getting caught up in some foolishness and lost your job. Keep the pens and the stationary and have a nice trip back to wherever you came from.

• 233 PhillyinJA
      November 13, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Chips please forgive me but I reading the tripe that Van Jones wrote/said just gave me this viseral reaction…..F%#$ you Van Jones! F%$# YOU! Progressive my fat ass. You are like a insipid boil on the butt of the country of America. I hope you slither away into no existence you vile serpent.

No back to my mundane exixtence of just posting every now and then. Have a wonderful day fellow posters!

• 234 PhillyinJA
        November 13, 2012 at 12:11 pm

grr I was so mad I made so many errors… I’m* an* non* and Now* sheesh I should not write when Im angry.

• November 13, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Don’t say sorry Philly, I feel exactly the same!

He has always struck me as an ego out of control, eg almost all his ‘Rebuild the Dream’ campaign ‘ads’ featured him – it was ALL about him, not re-electing PBO!

Egos of that magnitude …. no thanks.

• 236 57andfemale
      November 13, 2012 at 12:10 pm

First of all, these alleged progressives caused the 2010 debacle — so take some responsibility, Van Jones and the rest of your ilk. Interesting his specificity on the dates he cites – after the damage they brought down upon us in 2010.

Second, are we REALLY going back to assuming every God damned rumor is taken as proof of PBO’s ‘betrayal’? Seriously?!?!?!

This President ran a very progressive campaign and there is NO evidence that he is going to do any kind of about-face after his crushing win.

This is the way Sean Hannity talks, Van Jones: let’s seed discontent with absolutely NO evidence that such a thing will happen.

50. November 13, 2012 at 11:37 am

The Cuckoo In The Nest

Nate Cohn notes that the GOP has problems with swing-state white voters:

[T]he Republicans shouldn’t let their national standing among white voters obscure their real challenges with white voters outside of the South. It’s not useful for Republican strategists to take solace in Obama’s 39 percent showing among white voters if Obama still managed to do much better than Kerry or Gore in states like Iowa, Wisconsin, New Hampshire, Colorado, and Minnesota. In the Electoral College system, turning “lean Republican” states like Arkansas, West Virginia, Kentucky, and Missouri into “solid Republican” states just doesn’t matter.

51. November 13, 2012 at 11:49 am

Happy Diwali to all my hindu TODer friends. It’s a holiday here in Trinidad and Tobago so I’m at home eating some curry and roti and going out later to see the lights. Have a great day everyone.

52. 243 Eveingeorgia
    November 13, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Van Jones is a snake in the grass. I’m beginning to be glad that he lost his post. Ed Schulz is another one waiting to turn on President Obama.
    They hate the word ‘compromise’ as much as the RWNJ.

Nothing PBO does will satisfy either group. I just want him to do what is best for the nation in terms of Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.

I believe that he will.