Nov

New York

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Sheila Traina, whose home was completely demolished by flooding from Hurricane Sandy in New Dorp Beach, holds a letter written by her 11 year-old granddaughter Maggie Traina to President Obama who visited victims of the storm in Staten Island, November 15

With Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand and Sen. Charles Schumer, greeted by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan and New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, upon their arrival at JFK International Airport

CBS: There’s “still a lot of cleanup to do” in areas affected by superstorm Sandy, President Obama said today after touring damage to Staten Island, N.Y. And though he promised to continue to visit “until rebuilding [is] complete,” he announced Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan” – a native New Yorker – as the federal government’s “point person” in Sandy recovery.

…. Stopping by one of six local FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers earlier Thursday, the president hugged and offered consoling words for victims of the storm. He thanked FEMA Corps volunteers and observed of several out-of-state volunteers, “We got the whole country represented here…we’re proud of you guys.”

While at the recover center, Mr. Obama also met privately with Damien and Glenda Moore, whose two small children, Brandon and Connor, died after being swept away in the storm.

More here

At left is Rep. Michael Grimm, R-N.Y. :roll:

At a Staten Island FEMA disaster recovery center

115 Responses to “New York”

1. 1 yardarm756
    November 15, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Excellent pics.

2. 21 Vicki Green
    November 15, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Great photos. I watched the TV coverage but I never get too much PBO.

November 15, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Ms Chips, did you have a good rest last night? I notice you were posting at regular times so can I conclude ankle settled down to a bearable level and you are soldiering on with a limp but without pain?

November 15, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Congrats to the Obots who made top 12! :razz:

5. November 15, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Napoleon is just not a happy camper today! Why is Mike Bloomberg so grumpy looking?

• November 15, 2012 at 4:41 pm

In every photo, CT, he was the same!! Good grief!

• 43 Puddin'
      November 15, 2012 at 5:00 pm

CT you took the words right out of my mouth…Bloomberg should be utterly embarrassed, first for talking all of that nonsense about NY not needing any money for the Fed because they can take care of themselves and second for telling PBO not to come. Maybe he has a “little man” complex…Cuomo and PBO has such presence.

• 46 Elie
      November 15, 2012 at 8:52 pm

He can’t stand the dignity and grace that is Barack Obama!!! Bloomberg will never have the love and affection President Obama enjoys and it is killing the little man!!!

6. November 15, 2012 at 4:36 pm

• 48 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      November 15, 2012 at 4:49 pm

AS MUCH AS I ADMIRE MCCAIN AS A WAR HERO…HE IS NOT THE SAME PERSON TODAY AND IS FILLED WITH SOME RATHER SICK IDEAS…HE NEEDS TO GET OUT OF DC! DR. RICE IS AWESOME AND THE PRESIDENT NEEDS SOMEONE IN THAT POSITION HE CAN TRUST.ANYONE WHO BROUGHT PALIN TO THE PUBLIC FORUM NEEDS A GOOD SESSION WITH A SOFA AND A SHRINK!

• 49 yardarm756
        November 15, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I keep telling you folks that McCain is no hero. He’s a damn ‘hot dog’ that had no business in a plane and only got into Annapolis because his father was an Admiral. He graduated at the bottom of his class and was a known practical joker and exhibited disdain for rules and regulations. He ignored rules and got a missile up his butt and got himself a room at the Hanoi Hilton.

• 50 Obama Grandmama
          November 15, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Right! When McCain talks of someone not being bright and he graduated near the bottom of his class and those he accuses of not being bright got Rhodes Scholarships etc. That should tell you all you need to know.

• 52 Elie
          November 15, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Thank you!!! This “war hero” scam McCain has been running forever is long overdue for complete discard!!!

• 53 Mary Jones
          November 15, 2012 at 11:10 pm

During the last election my principal, who is a moderate Republican rapidly becoming a Democrat, said his father had known McCain while in service and said the same things about him. Going on ‘beer runs’ and crashing aircraft.

• November 15, 2012 at 9:06 pm

PREACH WOMAN!!!! :D

• 56 zekke Lydonna
        November 15, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I do not admire john mccain. I hate him. He is a nasty, mean, bitter asshole. Always has been. He woos the press and they give him a pass. He’s no good.

• 57 theo67
      November 15, 2012 at 6:07 pm

The great thing is that McCain’s legacy will accurately reflect what he tried to do to this country, and his obstruction and disrespect of this President. I am not sure what else he’s got to show for his time in the Senate, since he ran away from everything good in the 2009-2012 Republican years of obstruction.

7. 58 xtine
    November 15, 2012 at 4:38 pm

[I like this traffic jam! :) ]:

“For the first time, there was a traffic jam in the Senate women’s bathroom. There were five of us in there, and there are only two stalls.”

– Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), quoted by the Washington Post, noting that the next Senate will have a record 20 women.

8. 60 susanne
    November 15, 2012 at 4:38 pm

amazing stuff–bringing this over from end of last thread. yardarm, this is phenomenal, no words to espress how awesome! but also too, as a mother of sons and grandsons, gotta say, kids, be safe out there!!

• 63 theo67
      November 15, 2012 at 6:15 pm

That was incredible! And at times, incredibly and recklessly stupid!! I was holding my breath – started out enjoying the scenery, then wondering why that guy was running on top of a very high and narrow mountain ridge, then started saying… what’s going on here…? Awesome – but I just don’t know why people play with their lives like that! What was that foot-volleyball thing? I’m going to watch it again…

• 64 susanne
        November 15, 2012 at 6:44 pm

the grandeur and majesty and magnificence and—wait, frisbee? :) and did that guy just jump his bike onto phone booth?

how many band-aids went into the making of this movie!?

• 65 theo67
          November 15, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Sounds like you were watching that video as breathlessly and questioningly as I was! :) I’m sure there were some cracked heads and bones that went into the making of that movie, too…

9. 66 Bill R.
    November 15, 2012 at 4:38 pm

November 15, 2012 at 6:29 pm

It’s really about a stupid man, jealous of a brilliant woman. The bottom-rung candidate who never was able to reconcile living with the green-eyed monster after being beaten by both W (who couldn’t even speak the language but whom he “forgave”) and PBO (“that one” whom he has punched his pillow at night over for four years). It’s about the loser who now has to watch the brilliant eight-year term of his mighty rival unfold before his very eyes, on its way into the history books where he, despite the fact he thought it was “his turn,” will be a pathetic footnote. That one.

10. 68 Beverly
    November 15, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Dear Chips, I just caught up that you twisted your ankle while you were rescuing a kitten stuck in a tree and your cape got caught on a twig. I hope your ankle is much better today. I know you’ll be tempted to continue your dangerous heroic activities but as a Nurse I must encourage you to give it time to heal. :)

November 15, 2012 at 5:21 pm

So THAT’s how it happened, Beverly! (I wondered, but didn’t want to bring up the painful event again in case Chips became further traumatized by the replay.) I’ve told her and told her to detach her superhero cape from her suit BEFORE she goes tree climbing, but she never listens to *ME*. Though it’s somewhat heartless, grandma has been proven right again – ‘Those who can’t hear, will feel.’ Fortunately, in this case feeling is infinitely better than not feeling. Wonder if we should just remove the trees around her home?

Speaking of tree removal, I recently heard a radio discussion of a mother who wants the school (board) to chop down the acorn trees that are on school property because her child is allergic to nuts. It seemed a bit excessive to me, and made me wonder where it would stop if she gets her way.

• 70 Beverly
        November 15, 2012 at 5:34 pm

VC, I have seen many a time when your valuable advice to Chips went unheeded. She really should listen to you more often.

• November 15, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Beverly, I followed her walking advice yesterday – and look what happened :roll:

November 15, 2012 at 5:43 pm

/patiently and humbly/ I’ve accepted it’s part of my lot in life, Beverly, so I do not complain. /resignedly/ I just keep trying.

And Chips, you’re meant to follow the advice BEFORE the damage is done, following it AFTER is not quite as effective.

11. 74 PoliticalJunkessa
    November 15, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Gosh, Staten Island is to’ up. It’s still surreal to me. The picture of PBO hugging the Moore family breaks my heart — I can’t even imagine their pain.

The people of NY couldn’t be in better hands than PBO, Sen. Gillibrand and Sen. Schumer. Sen. Gillibrand is a particularly fierce advocate. I haven’t seen Gov. Cuomo in action much, and his record is mixed, but he seems to be fully engaged in this situation. I hope something good, indeed something even better, can come from this tragedy.

November 15, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Will we get at least one pic of PBO at the screening of the “Lincoln” movie at the WH this afternoon?

13. 76 dotster3
    November 15, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Love Maggie’s letter—-kids have a way——-hope you can do something about Staten Island and by the way I voted for you. :)
    Also love President Obama and his compassionate, comforting presence in these kind of situations.

14. 78 Bill R.
    November 15, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Our president is so open and heartful in his willingness to be “Comforter in Chief”. Entering into the pain of others is not easy, nor is it done as compassionately and respectfully as President Obama. As one who lost a small son many years ago, so many people simply don’t want to hear about your pain or share it in any meaningful way.

• November 15, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Oh Bill, so so sorry you lost a son in the past, I can’t even begin to imagine the pain – and I doubt it ever truly eases.

• November 15, 2012 at 6:33 pm

My heart goes out to you, Bill. I can’t even fathom such a loss and POTUS did speak of this as well.

• 81 susanne
      November 15, 2012 at 6:49 pm

bill, i’m so sorry for your heart-breaking loss. our president’s ‘entering into the pain of others’ is felt by so many of us; i’m glad he makes time to seek out and comfort us, and i hope his hugging these americans is also comforting in some way to you.

• November 15, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Dear Bill, thank you for sharing that personal tragedy with us and know we understand that the pain never goes away. Our President has a profound capacity for empathy, for sure.

15. November 15, 2012 at 5:22 pm

16. 86 daisydem
    November 15, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting the NY pictures. Though my eyes fill with tears upon seeing them, my heart swells with joy because my President is there in my favorite place talking to people I don’t know but love. I heart NYC and surrounding areas so much. Bloomberg can suck dirt (or sand from Sandy) for all I care. My president really loves and cares for NY as he does for our whole country. Coumo is a real New Yorker. Letterman, Bono, Springsteen, many stars, celebrities love NY and NJ and they welcome our President there, and FEMA, and the Red Cross and anyone who can help. It just can’t all be done in a day! Thank you Mr. President for keeping tabs on the work there.

17. 87 dotster3
    November 15, 2012 at 5:24 pm

This gal really got around, didn’t she? In fact, I think she wins the prize —-the chutzpah prize

• 88 joanshaw
      November 15, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Which one is Jill Kelley? The one in green looks like she’s going to have a wardrobe malfunction any minute.

November 15, 2012 at 5:26 pm

• November 15, 2012 at 6:09 pm

What does that even mean? “Strong oversight is critical to repeal?” What?

• 91 dudette9t9
      November 15, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Can we impeach HIM for wasting taxpayer money on yet another repeal FAIL?

November 15, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Now that sounds like a very good reason for impeachment IMO. It makes more sense to me than the reasons the repubs fabricate.

November 15, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Anyone noticed how silent Boehner and Cantor were leading up to the election? It’s like they didn’t want to draw any attention to themselves in case they added fuel to the Dem purging fire that was building. Yet as soon as election was over Boehner has been crawling back into the arena. (I still have hardly heard anything from/about Cantor other than his Petraeus link. )

19. November 15, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Our Prez is a WONDER HUGGER! And it means so much… Humanity. Care. Empathy. Soul… Thank heavens…

Gato

November 15, 2012 at 5:32 pm

In the 9th pic below the video – ALL the First Responders are beaming.

21. 97 dotster3
    November 15, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Martin Bashir and I are alike. We both are highly amused by Ann Romney’s “I Love You Women!!!” shout out at the Repub convention. It was so fakey and so obviously pandering and cringe-worthy to the max. I wonder who thought that was a brilliant idea. It was so representative of that whole campaign. We now use that line around my house. It’s a daily source of amusement, always gets a laugh. We use it in all sorts of situations, as you can imagine.

22. 99 anniebella
    November 15, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I was watching Hardball a few minutes ago and they were talking about that bitter old senile John McCain and they said that someone need to ask McCain about why when S.O.S Hillary Clinton asked for more money to beef up protection in Benghazi, the Republicans voted against it, and they didn’t get the money. Plus they showed McCain making some comments in 2005, where he was sticking up for Condi Rice and McCain said that maybe the attack on Condi Rice was because of bitter feelings about the way the 2004 election turn out. John McCain is still bitter about losing to Barack Obama in 2008, and then his party losing in 2012. He’s a senile bitter old man. Cindy McCain, Megan McCain , your husband, your dad need some serious help.

23. November 15, 2012 at 5:54 pm

As much as John McCain’s disrespectful behavior toward the President and Ambassador Rice is infuriating, during the past 48 hours it’s obvious the man really has devolved to a pitiful state. He needs help. This tweet is not a putdown, it’s a real plea to someone who has known the Senator and been friends with him for a very long time.

• 103 Obama Grandmama
      November 15, 2012 at 6:19 pm

McCain’s “cover up or incompetence” comment is merely pandering to the families of those people killed in Benghazi. It is hateful to those families making them think their sons died in vain and the government is to blame.

• 104 vitaminlover
      November 15, 2012 at 8:18 pm

ObamaCare would cover this “pre-existing condition”.

24. 105 lockewasright
    November 15, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I can’t imagine losing my two children. The pain must be unimaginable. Those poor people…

25. 106 dotster3
    November 15, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Shirtless FBI guy photo. Here’s the funny thing—-well, sorta—–when I read it was just a photo of him with 2 dummies, I thought the description meant it was him with 2 dumb guys who liked to have their shirtless photos taken. It was actually dummies!—dummy-dummies! I’m the dummy.

26. November 15, 2012 at 6:11 pm

That letter from the young girl just chokes me up. How sweet of her to write it. I love that she wanted POTUS to know she voted for him in school and that he won by so many votes. I hope the President was able to receive it.

27. November 15, 2012 at 6:23 pm

28. 114 dudette9t9
    November 15, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Myanmar began releasing hundreds of prisoners Thursday under a mass amnesty that comes just days before a landmark visit by US President Barack Obama to the formerly military-ruled nation. Relatives of the scores of political detainees still languishing in jails were waiting anxiously to learn whether they would be among those freed. The government declined to reveal how many dissidents were pardoned.

A prison department official said 452 prisoners would walk free on Thursday. “There are some foreigners included in the amnesty,” he added, speaking on condition of anonymity, without giving details of their nationalities. The release was also announced in state media.

Myanmar, formerly known as Burma, has already freed hundreds of political prisoners incarcerated by the former junta, as part of reforms that have led to a dramatic thaw in relations between the one-time pariah nation and the West.

Obama will on Monday become the first sitting US president to visit Myanmar, where he will meet former general President Thein Sein and opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi. Suu Kyi, a Nobel Peace Prize winner, was herself released by the regime in 2010 after years under house arrest.

A spokesman for Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy (NLD) welcomed the latest amnesty but questioned its timing.
    “It is strange that they released prisoners just before Obama’s visit,” Ohn Kyaing told AFP…
    [more in the article http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/11/15/myanmar-frees-prisoners-before-obama-visit%5D

RSS OFA