Nov

Rise and Shine

President Obama returns from a trip to Thailand, Burma and Cambodia, Nov. 21

Today:

2:0: The President pardons the National Thanksgiving Turkey

4:20: The First Family participates in a service event

NYT: In the fractious relationship between President Obama and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel, the shoe may have just shifted to the other foot.

After more than a year of Mr. Obama needing – and not getting – much support from his Israeli counterpart in his efforts to woo American Jewish voters at home ahead of his re-election, it is now Mr. Netanyahu, Israel experts say, who needs Mr. Obama to help shore up his support at home.

The Israeli leader is facing an election in January, and if there is one thing that Israeli voters do not like, scholars say, it is any kind of daylight between their prime minister and the American president in times of strife.

After a year in which Mr. Netanyahu made no secret of his support for Mitt Romney, now might seem a perfect time for Mr. Obama to return the favor. And yet, as Israel and Hamas — and their proxies, the United States and Egypt — struggle to agree on a cease-fire in the fighting in Gaza, he has not done so.

…. All of this, Middle East experts say, means that Mr. Obama may have buttressed his own standing with the Israeli public, and is now in a far better position to start pressing Mr. Netanyahu on issues from the Israeli siege of Gaza to Iran to the dormant Middle East peace process, where he has had little leverage.

Full article here

Charles Pierce: …. I would like to have an opinion on this continual bloodletting that didn’t sound banal but, goddammit, I’m out of them. I am thoroughly sick of both sides here. Opportunistic cutthroats poke a stick at the region’s most powerful military, knowing full well that said military will overreact and that the overreaction will fall most heavily on the civilian population on whose behalf the cutthroats are allegedly acting. Said military reacts right on cue, with all the modern military hardware against which the cutthroats know that they and the people they allegedly represent have no possible defense. Innocent people die. Then more innocent people die…..

…. there is no side worth taking in this. Not any more. It’s just tangled slaughter and bloody ambivalence and blind, unending fury. There is nothing but madness at its center, implacable as gravity, and drawing everything toward it.

Stop killing each other. Just stop, you know.

Full post here

NYT: The Obama administration took a big step on Tuesday to carry out the new health care law by defining “essential health benefits” that must be offered to most Americans and by allowing employers to offer much bigger financial rewards to employees who quit smoking or adopt other healthy behaviors.

…. Insurance companies are rushing to devise health benefit plans that comply with the federal standards. Starting in October, people can enroll in the new plans, for coverage that begins on Jan. 1, 2014.

The rules translate the broad promises of the 2010 law into detailed standards that can be enforced by state and federal officials. Under the rules, insurers cannot deny coverage or charge higher premiums to people because they are sick or have been ill. They also cannot charge women more than men, as many now do.

More here

Madame Tussauds, London marks President Barrack Obama’s fourth Thanksgiving in office with a grouping of his waxwork figure alongside waxworks of Rihanna, George Clooney and Morgan Freeman

Whatever about the other three ….. Morgan looks spookily real :shock:

PBO’s first turkey pardoning in 2009 …. a whole lot of growing has gone on:

Morning everyone, that was a short Rise and Shine, will have more later. And, I’ve fallen waaaaaaaay behind again with emails, will catch up soon-ish.

249 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

November 21, 2012 at 8:54 am

Good Morning Ms Chips and TODobots all! Wishing everyone a Wonderful Wednesday! I see the Presidential Energizer Bunny is still going. God bless him and his admin!

• 2 Grab a Mop Grace
      November 21, 2012 at 8:56 am

Good Morning VC and congrats on 1st.

November 21, 2012 at 8:59 am

TY, Grace! :lol: You have my Thanksgiving spot all shined and ready? I don’t mean to be a bother so I’ve got to tell you ahead of time that I don’t eat turkey

• 4 PhillyinJA
        November 21, 2012 at 9:00 am

It’s a tie I tell you, a tie. I demand a recount and i will not concede until VC give me the first place slot.

November 21, 2012 at 9:07 am

Sharing will be a pleasure, Philly. :lol: You can have the baby when he needs changing and I’ll take him back when he’s sleeping. :evil:

Seriously, congrats on being atop at TODville!

• November 21, 2012 at 9:00 am

Mooooorning VC, morning everyone ;-)

• 10 amk for obama
      November 21, 2012 at 9:02 am

Back to door leaning ?

November 21, 2012 at 9:16 am

GA, Amk!
        Nah, I have no need to. I’ve actually outgrown that phase. You can’t imagine how much less stressful my life has become as a result. I’m not holding my breath all the time in case I fall if someone unexpectedly pulls the door open, or in case the crowd behind me gets too boisterous and tramples me. Ah, the freedom to move as I see fit with no expectations placed upon myself! :grin: :grin: :lol: :lol:

• 14 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      November 21, 2012 at 10:59 am

HAH-HAH—I DON’T SEE A KEY IN HIS BACK…HE JUST KEEPS ON MOVIN’…………………….FORWARD! I HOPE THE FIRST FAMILY HAS A PEACEFUL AND MEMORABLE THANKSGIVING CELEBRATION AND EVERYONE HERE TOO IN THE CHIPS FAMILY. I’M MORE THAN DISGUSTED WITH MY CHURCH TODAY…I HAVE A HOMELESS FEED ON SATURDAY AND VERY FEW VOLUNTEERS. OF COURSE I’M CONSIDERED A CURSE BECAUSE PBO WON THE ELECTION…THEY HAVE TO HAVE SOMEONE TO SCAPEGOAT ON…SO THEY WILL SIT TOMORROW AND STUFF THEMSELVES…GROW 3 INCHES IN THE WAISTLINE AND CONTINUE TO BURP WHILE OTHERS GO HUNGRY! OH MY…GOD IS NOT SMILING….:(

2. 15 PhillyinJA
    November 21, 2012 at 8:54 am

good morning all!

3. November 21, 2012 at 8:55 am

Hola TOD Chicas, Chicos y…..y…… that’s all I got!

4. November 21, 2012 at 8:57 am

Loo! Top 5! Good morning Chips!

5. November 21, 2012 at 8:58 am

Good morning early birds. Hello vc. Congrats

6. 20 No Child Left Behind
    November 21, 2012 at 8:59 am

Good Morning TOD Family,

Glad to see my President back at the White Houser. May he enjoy some restful and pleasant time with his family.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here!

7. November 21, 2012 at 8:59 am

Good morning fellow commie Kenyan socialist muslins!! Our POTUS is HOME from another tremendously successful bowing apology tour!! YIPPEE!!!!

November 21, 2012 at 9:01 am

GM folks. Happy thanksgiving to the murkan TOD’ers. (Do canucks also kill the poor turkey?).

Firefox 17.0 is here. Update. (not you chips).

November 21, 2012 at 9:01 am

Bringing this over….but I must say…that wax museum scene is freaky!

Morning…and happy prep day! The day before Thanksgiving! Off work today, though I do have to take some time out of my day to tutor one of my students…and make some phone calls…but other than that, I’m here and will be getting ready for tomorrow! I love this holiday. No expectations other than the turkey better not be dry (mine NEVER i!) though this year…no turkey for me. Husband is out of town so the kids and I will be having cornish game hens, stuffed with wild rice…and all the fixin’s for Thanksgiving:)

Thought I would share THIS bit of good news that the MSM will never mention: http://twitpic.com/bf3ogf

Our deficit is falling faster now than any time since WWII….I think this might be a good R/T…..hugs to all my fellow TOD family…..and especially to Ms Chips…..love you and thanks for all the delicious goodness of that superlative photo diary! I can’t pick a favorite. Anywhere he is, with whomever he is with spreading smiles and warmth…is my favorite!

10. 39 Grab a Mop Grace
    November 21, 2012 at 9:01 am

Chips, just had a chance to look at the full round up of the President’s trips abroad. Wow! Thank you for that incredible collection of images.
    I remember most of those photos, but there were a few that were “first time viewing” for me. Fabulous. It’s a keeper.

Other than my faith, my family, my health and my President, it’s likely that I’m MOST thankful for this wonderful place that you’ve created here.
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for all that you’ve given of yourself for the President and for all of us.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving TOD ‘ers.

Obama/Biden 4 more years!

November 21, 2012 at 9:06 am

It’s the day before Thanksgiving, and the butcher is just locking up when a man begins pounding on the front door.
    “Please let me in,” says the man desperately. “I forgot to buy a turkey, and my wife will kill me if I don’t come home with one.”
    “Okay,” says the butcher. “Let me see what I have left.” He goes into the freezer and discovers that there’s only one scrawny turkey left. He brings it out to show the man.
    “That’s one is too skinny. What else you got?” says the man.
    The butcher takes the bird back into the freezer and waits a few minutes and brings the same turkey back out to the man.
    “Oh, no,” says the man, “That one doesn’t look any better. You better give me both of them!”

November 21, 2012 at 9:07 am

An industrious turkey farmer was always experimenting with breeding to perfect a better turkey.
    His family was fond of the leg portion for dinner and there were never enough legs for everyone. After many frustrating attempts, the farmer was relating the results of his efforts to his friends at the general store get together. “Well I finally did it! I bred a turkey that has 6 legs!”
    They all asked the farmer how it tasted.
    “I don’t know” said the farmer. “I never could catch the darn thing!”

November 21, 2012 at 9:07 am

The pro football team had just finished their daily practice session when a large turkey came strutting onto the field. While the players gazed in amazement, the turkey walked up to the head coach and demanded a tryout.
    Everyone stared in silence as the turkey caught pass after pass and ran right through the defensive line. When the turkey returned to the sidelines, the coach shouted, “You’re terrific!!! Sign up for the season, and I’ll see to it that you get a huge bonus.”
    “Forget the bonus,” the turkey said, “All I want to know is, does the season go past Thanksgiving Day?”

• November 21, 2012 at 9:12 am

:lol: :lol: Put away your turkey joke book, RIGHT NOW!

• 50 amk for obama
        November 21, 2012 at 9:20 am

Ok. How about this ?

An airliner is coming into land at an airport obscured by fog. Visibility is practically nil, the ILS system is on the blink, so the pilot has to land on wits alone. “Flaps, check,” he says to the copilot, “Landing Gear, check. Altitude, check. Right, we’re going in. Hold on.” The plane lands and comes to a screeching, grinding halt; just short of the edge of the runway. “Holy Cow!” exclaims the pilot, “This must be the shortest runway I’ve ever landed on!” The copilot looks left and right and says “Yeah, and about the widest, too …”

• 51 amk for obama
        November 21, 2012 at 9:22 am

Or this ?

On some air bases the Air Force is on one side of the field and civilian aircraft use the other side of the field, with the control tower in the middle.

One day the tower received a call from an aircraft asking, “What time is it?” The tower responded, “Who is calling?” The aircraft replied, “What difference does it make?” The tower replied “It makes a lot of difference.

1) If it is an American Airlines flight, it is 3 o’clock.
        2) If it is an Air Force plane, it is 1500 hours.
        3) If it is a Navy aircraft, it is 6 bells.
        4) If it is an Army aircraft, the big hand is on the 12 and the little hand is on the 3.
        5) If it is a Marine Corps aircraft, it’s Thursday afternoon and 120 minutes to “Happy Hour.”

14. 65 Ceb
    November 21, 2012 at 9:14 am

Good morning everyone on this most beautiful and chilly day before Thanksgiving.

In all of the rushing around, do not forget to pause a moment to reflect on the things, big and small for which we are most thankful.

To all of our TOD family abroad, this is the day fall day for faith, family, food, football (gridiron) and some foolishness ( stores open for Christmas shopping; really, people).

November 21, 2012 at 9:16 am

G’morning Chips, TOD, lurkers, everyone! Congratulations (door-leaning) vcprez on #1!! :) Happy Thanksgiving Eve !!

16. 70 Japa21
    November 21, 2012 at 9:24 am

Good morning all and an early Happy Thanksgiving to all, even to those in areas where it is not celebrated. So AMK, that includes you.
    The only wax person that even looks remotely like the real person is Freeman.

And Chips, now I know why I haven’t received a rsponse to my email. Ooops, that’s right, I haven’t sent you any recently.

Anyway, I know for a lot of people, including myself, the ability to comment will be limited over the next couple of days. And Chips, feel free to take a breather yourself. Kick back, and do a little relaxing.

For those people of faith, give thanks to the God you worship. To those who aren’t as religiously oriented, give thanks to all the people that have provided you with relief, assistance and support. We are a community of people of different faiths, non-faith, backgrounds, ages, races, ethnicities, genders, sexual preferences, economic and social statuses, and at varying stages in our progression through life.

Yet we all have one thing in common: a desire to see a United States and a world at peace and where noone is ignored because of those exact same differences. And this is why we have all supported PBO who represents our best hope at this time to move this country and this world in those directions.

And we are all, I hope, specially thankful to CHIPS for bringing us together.

A few years ago, BWD put together a special posting on the reasons she was thankful for having PBO as our president. I cannot access it from my work community, but perhaps somebody can try to dig it up (I think it was on You Tube) and post it here today.

17. 92 anniebella
    November 21, 2012 at 9:24 am

I hope POTUS is sleeping in late today, he needs the rest. Their ain’t nothing like sleeping in your own bed.

November 21, 2012 at 9:25 am

On futbol mundial,

becks quits LA galaxy

blues kick out their coach Roberto Di Matteo.

And life goes on.

November 21, 2012 at 9:25 am

He must be sleeping.

20. 96 dotster3
    November 21, 2012 at 9:26 am

21. 100 isonprize
    November 21, 2012 at 9:28 am

HOLD UP! Madame Tussaud’s was museum is slippin’

I’m wondering why Rihanna is half nekkid standing next to the stand-up poster of PBO. How come Morgan Freeman is looking pissed that he’s not on the other side so he can mack on Rihanna? And why is my high school chemistry teacher sitting at the table? I’m not even going to mention how lame that turkey looks…

Seriously, Morgan Freeman is the only one who looks even remotely like the real person. Rihanna is just way too nekkid, cardboard PBO already noted, and if that’s supposed to be George Clooney, I’d seriously want my money back if I paid for THAT tour…

November 21, 2012 at 9:28 am

The two turkeys “Cobbler and Gobbler” are both getting pardoned proving once again that Pres. Obama is clearly “incapable” of making “tough decisions.” :lol:

23. 107 sherijr
    November 21, 2012 at 9:34 am

I’m with Charles Pierce on this: Just stop killing each other. I sickened of their whole conflict long long ago. And PS I hope Netanyahu loses his election.. I would like to see, finally both sides wise up and bring some adults to the table- and Netanyahu doesn’t fit that bill. okay, I never comment on Israel/Palestine – but my gawd how many generations will it take ??

anyhoo- good morning all you lovely people :)

November 21, 2012 at 9:36 am

THIS! THIS! THIS! http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-ob-gyn-birth-control-20121120,0,3901227.story

Largest OB-GYN organization urges over-the-counter birth control

25. 111 donna dem 4 obama
    November 21, 2012 at 9:38 am

Good Morning

“My Thanksgiving Ode to TOD”

We’ve cried and laughed and hot flashed and fawned.

We’ve ebbed and flowed as events waged on.

We’ve agreed and disagreed but did it with respect.

We’ve gone into battle with the goal of success.

We’ve been on the naughty mat more times than we can count.

We’ve learned and shared with endless amount.

Each day we return to be inspired and to admire

The Obama Diary is the place to be and is always on FIRE!

Thank you Ms. Chips and the entire TOD Family!!!

Have a Safe and Blessed Thanksgiving Holiday

26. 125 jackiegrumbacher
    November 21, 2012 at 9:47 am

In the darkest days of the campaign, I thought of what Thanksgiving would be like if Romney had won and the idea was so bleak I couldn’t bear it. How incredibly blessed we are that we can spend this holiday with real thankfulness in our heart because we live in a country that that stood up and said NO to the billionaires, the haters and the plutocrats. Like the earliest Pilgrims our country has reached a safe harbor this Thanksgiving, with a loving, compassionate, brilliant leader at the helm. We still have huge mountains to climb, a terrible depth of ignorance and bigotry to overcome, and destructive political enemies to fight, but we have fought and won the critical battle. I feel in my heart that this time will be different and we will not sink back into our complacent corners, but will keep on fighting. Thanks to Chips, this site is the glue that keeps us together. Shakes us up when we’ve gotten too lazy, cheers us when we’re down, inspires us when the road seems tough. That glue is love. Love of country, love of our president, love of each other. Thank you Chips for giving us this heart home to come to day in and day out, dark days or light. I’ve always thought of you as a warrior and you’ve proven time and time again that that’s exactly what you are. Have a happy and bless Thanksgiving.

27. 131 dotster3
    November 21, 2012 at 9:51 am

I’m trying to stuff it back into the recesses of my brain, but that image of goofball Sarah Palin merrily chirping away as the bloody turkey beheading was going on behind her continues to interfere with my sense of Thanksgiving. I don’t think anyone could believe what they were seeing, a Fargo type woodchipper scene, complete with the insane killer grin on the beheader.

28. November 21, 2012 at 9:55 am

SEC Clinton has a Presser soon. I would hope that an announcement would be forthcoming?

29. November 21, 2012 at 10:04 am

These women will have PBO’s back and Emily’s List had theirs.

And from me a warm thank you to Chips and all the TOD family for a safe and joyfilled haven. Enjoy a bountiful day of Thanksgiving everyone.

30. 137 dotster3
    November 21, 2012 at 10:19 am

Does my area really need a Turkey Testicle Festival? Not proud that the locals are flocking to that shindig. Balls for all!

• November 21, 2012 at 10:21 am

:shock: Ugggghhhhh………….

“Balls for all”

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 139 miss pat
      November 21, 2012 at 11:09 am

How does that work? What happens to the testicles of the turkey? Are they eaten? If so,roasted, broiled, fried?

Happy Thanlsgiving to all. I am thankful for health and strength and daily bread.

I am thankful for Chips and this community and I am thankful that the President is still in the White House and not that disheveled specimen of a man that was seen pumping his own gas all wrinkled and with his hair wild. Who leaves the house looking like that?

Karma is a bitch and it comes back and bite you on your ass right away. It doesn’t wait for your children’s children anymore.

Stay blessed everyone and continue to lift up the President and his family.

31. 141 Eveingeorgia
    November 21, 2012 at 10:32 am

Happy Thanksgiving, all my siblings at TOD, and a special Happy to and for our wonderful Chips.

Yes, JackeG, I too looked forward with horror to a Thanksging, Christmas, and New Yeae with a president Romney. Could not bear it.

So I am grateful this Thanksgiving for the blessing of this Re-election. Have a nice day, all.

32. 142 Eveingeorgia
    November 21, 2012 at 10:32 am

T.H.A.N.K.S.G.I.V.I.N.G.

33. 143 Melanie
    November 21, 2012 at 11:01 am

FLOTUS is supposed to receive the Christmas tree at 11:00am. Is anyone carrying it?

November 21, 2012 at 11:10 am

Have you all seen these pictures of Romney at Disneyland. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH……Happy Early Thanksgiving.

• 150 COS
      November 21, 2012 at 11:16 am

Happy early Thanksgiving to you UT and all of my TOD friends. I wonder if Robney asked everyone else to wait until they finished their rides?

• 151 xtine
      November 21, 2012 at 11:22 am

UT, thought at first it was photo shopped! LOL! This tweet made me laugh (ooops!, forgot I was supposed to be nice today!): “I just saw Mitt Romney at disneyland..is it too inappropriate to laugh in his face?”

• 152 debz
        November 21, 2012 at 11:42 am

How can his hair look better on a roller coaster, than while pumping gas??

• 153 susanne
          November 21, 2012 at 2:11 pm

no doubt he was anticipating photographs at disneyland. he must be missing the cameras and applause–sure to be crowds at disneyland, and people there will be mostly nice (in front of the kids), so he was safe. pathetic, but safe.

November 21, 2012 at 11:18 am

November 21, 2012 at 11:22 am

37. 156 Melanie
    November 21, 2012 at 11:30 am

• 157 utaustinliberal
      November 21, 2012 at 11:44 am

He is the most overpaid buffoon working the news industry.

November 21, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Mr. Knoller I wasn’t keeping score and I don’t think anyone else with any dam sense was either. Don’t choke on your turkey.

November 21, 2012 at 1:09 pm

It’s funny that only when this President and First Lady got in the WH did certain people start to care about how much this cost, how many miles they travel, how much golf POTUS plays, what FLOTUS shoes cost. Just seem strange doesn’t it.

38. 161 1jam4pbo
    November 21, 2012 at 11:30 am

Good Morning TOD-ville, Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating this Day.

39. 162 xtine
    November 21, 2012 at 11:30 am

[Smartypants on the latest idiocy from Jonah Goldberg, the stuff in quote is his]:

{…} It didn’t disappoint. Goldberg claims to have had an awakening about the state of Black families. And you’ll never guess how he got there…really, you’ll never guess.

“The thought came to me when a friend pointed me to a column by the Washington Post’s Courtland Milloy about how blacks are fleeing baseball at an alarming rate. Today only 8% of the baseball players are black. In 1959, black participation was more than twice as high at 17%. In 1975, the high-water mark, the rate was 27%.

“The reasons for the decline are many and controversial, but one cited by Milloy is that baseball is a game taught by fathers, while basketball and football are more often taught by peers in pickup games.”

Oh the humanity…black kids aren’t playing baseball. And of course, that’s because they don’t have fathers around to teach them. Can you believe that shit?!

• 163 xtine
      November 21, 2012 at 11:33 am

[Grung_e_Gene lets loose in the comments section :) ]:

“Flabby assed, puffy faced, chicken hawk coward, a wingnut welfare recipient. He’s a courtier a dilettante whose never done work but is paid by rich right-wingers to slander and smear President Obama and Liberals.”

• 164 utaustinliberal
        November 21, 2012 at 11:46 am

Jonah Goldberg uses his ass as his mouthpiece. These white conservatives pretending to know about African-Americans and their experiences are so bloody annoying and hilariously pathetic.

40. 166 xtine
    November 21, 2012 at 11:43 am

Random Good Stuff!~ At Cakelove, our super-duper cake store (owner is really interesting), they have a cake named “44”:

“44, the Salty Caramel cake to honor our 44th President.
    Layers of vanilla cake nestle between vanilla buttercream, layered with rich caramel and a touch of salt. This cake is all about CHANGE!”

• 173 carla4obama
      November 21, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Yes , Soledad is a smart one that pushes back these idiots. So the House GOP is letting it be known they are against the possibility of a Susan Rice SOS appointment? They have Nothing to do with this..it is the Senate. I do believe they are drawing a line in the sand, daring the President to appoint the ambassador. If he doesn’t, they will say they won, that they let him know they would not support her, if he does…then the fight begins. I know our President has this, he will appoint the person he feels is best for the job. GOP= gobble or puke.

41. 174 Gc
    November 21, 2012 at 11:57 am

Thank you for your even handed comment about the Middle East. I am not a Zionist, but I understand why my older relatives are hardwired for it. No, Israelis do not act “rationally” but – and this is no excuse – they can’t. Discussions devolve into Israel hate. I will not opine, it is too complicated and I do not live in the middle f t, but I did just defriend someone on FB because if his insistence that there is oe and one one “evil doer” in the clusterfuck. So, thank you, you have established a Pulitzer Prize deserving blog here (the emo levels are not comfortable for me – my problem) have a safe and healthy holiday.

42. 176 xtine
    November 21, 2012 at 12:01 pm

[Calling Dudette, TODers in GA! I’m coming to help out w/ the doors & padlocks! Remember Karen Handel of Komen infamy?]:

Saxby Chambliss, the two-term senior senator from Georgia, could face a Republican primary challenge in 2014.

Activists and donors alike are expressing dissatisfaction with Chambliss for his perceived move to the left on issues like immigration and taxes. And members of Georgia’s House delegation, as reported by Roll Call, like Tom Price, Paul Broun, and Tom Graves, may be considering running against Chambliss in the primary. But GOP and conservative sources say there’s another possible candidate: former secretary of state Karen Handel.

“She’s considering it,” says Rob Sims, a Republican campaign consultant who worked on Handel’s unsuccessful run for governor in 2010. Kay Godwin, the co-chairman of Georgia Conservatives in Action, says Handel is among those she’s hearing who could successfully challenge Chambliss.

November 21, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Crosses fingers optimistically.

44. 181 xtine
    November 21, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Democrats in Massachusetts are culling a list of candidates for a 2013 special election should Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) be appointed to President Obama’s Cabinet.

Recently defeated Sen. Scott Brown (R-Mass.) is the most likely pick for the GOP, but Democrats don’t want a repeat of the 2010 special election — when they lost the late Sen. Ted Kennedy’s seat to Brown — and they’re looking to groom a strong contender to keep the position in their hands.

More here: http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/268979-democrats-preparing-candidates-in-case-kerry-moves-to-cabinet

November 21, 2012 at 12:05 pm

46. 183 xtine
    November 21, 2012 at 12:09 pm

[The Burma trip has awesomeness beyond the shirt! :) ]:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Little noticed in the warm glow of President Barack Obama’s landmark visit to Myanmar was a significant concession that could shed light on whether that nation’s powerful military pursued a clandestine nuclear weapons program, possibly with North Korea’s help.

Myanmar announced it would sign an international agreement that would require it to declare all nuclear facilities and materials. Although it would be up to Myanmar to decide what to declare, it could provide some answers concerning its acquisition of dual-use machinery and its military cooperation with Pyongyang that the U.S. and other nations regard as suspect.

President Thein Sein’s agreement to allow more scrutiny by U.N. nuclear inspectors suggests a willingness to go beyond democratic reforms that have improved relations with Washington and culminated in Obama’s visit this week, the first by a U.S. president to the country also known as Burma.

• 184 susanne
      November 21, 2012 at 2:21 pm

wow–this is huge. and the msm treated the trip like a holiday. yes, we enjoyed the president’s fine appearance, and we recognized the significance of his helping open doors there. wouldn’t you know he’d have even deeper issues to address, and that his manner would defuse confrontations, not inflame them. as closely as i watch his presidency, he still amazes me with his skills.

• November 21, 2012 at 3:34 pm

The media is completely useless. This trip was historic on so many fronts, and it is a real failure of the media’s sole purpose of existence that we could not easily find footage of these events while they were happening – and in some cases, there was no US footage at all. And for Chuck Todd to offer lame lies about poor bandwidth, while other agencies were able to broadcast the events and provide useful and in-depth analysis, is a travesty. There’s probably a lot more meaningful agreements that were reached that have not yet been broadcast. This was history in the making.

November 21, 2012 at 12:12 pm

48. November 21, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Like all of you, I too am extremely thankful and have a very joyous heart this Thanksgiving for many things. But topping my list of things to be thankful for, is the re-election of our wonderful,caring, compassionate PRESIDENT.

Yes, there were times when I had thoughts of things going in the Romney direction, but I always immediately shut
    those down as they were unbearable. Now that will never be. For this I am grateful.

Thank you Chips and the rest of the TOD family for your constant support, information and humour. You all helped
    to make the journey bearable. And at the end of a long journey, ‘SHIRT’ day was just icing on the cake.

November 21, 2012 at 12:12 pm

November 21, 2012 at 12:22 pm

51. 191 daisydem
    November 21, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I see there is more serious news and I will back up and read in a minute, but don’t you think that baby’s expression in the pic with FLOTUS is saying, “I have been wanting to talk to you about ……”?

52. November 21, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Good day Chips, everyone … in meetings all morning, following twitter on the Israel, Palestinian situ … not sure if any US media will cover the announcement by SOS Clinton, expected in ~ 35 min (1300 EST), but Al Jazeera probably will and here’s the link to to AJE live streaming http://www.aljazeera.com/watch_now/

bbl

November 21, 2012 at 12:26 pm

News Conference with Hillary Clinton in EGYPT on the ceasefire. NOW on MSNBC and CNN

54. 197 JER
    November 21, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Livestream – SOS Clinton and Egyptian Foreign Minister – Ceasefire has been announced between Hamas and Issraeli Forces:

November 21, 2012 at 12:30 pm

The ceasefire begins at 9PM today local time in Cairo.

November 21, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Pres. Obama once again shows us why we’re so lucky to have him.

57. November 21, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Excellent news. Thanks for updates Ut.

November 21, 2012 at 12:39 pm

59. November 21, 2012 at 12:41 pm

60. 203 lisalovesobama
    November 21, 2012 at 12:45 pm

do you think Hillary will make it home in time for thanksgiving with the family?

61. November 21, 2012 at 12:49 pm

:lol:

62. 217 daisydem
    November 21, 2012 at 12:53 pm

VC: the video you posted above “I’m Grateful” (first, let me say that is so wonderful, I teared up, smiled, and just felt so good) can you send it to the WhiteHouse.gov site? I think they (he) should see it. He should know just how much we are truly grateful for him (and Michelle and for Joe and Jill too).

November 21, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Hi DaisyDem, the video is an oldie that I ‘found’ for the ladies and Japa because they were trying to remember it. I think the WH saw it a couple of years ago.

63. 219 dudette9t9
    November 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm

64. November 21, 2012 at 12:59 pm

65. November 21, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Remember that much-mocked Obama fashion line? It raised $40 million for the campaign: http://buswk.co/QuJ7w0
    Companies scrambling to nab Obama tech folks–and Google’s Eric Schmidt might hire/fund the whole team http://buswk.co/TfzX4N

66. November 21, 2012 at 1:13 pm

AND I NEED TO REPOST THIS BABY KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR THIS FELLA OUR NEXT BARACK OBAMA LADIES AND GENTS

67. 226 Bill R.
    November 21, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Pres Obama and Sec. of State Hillary Clinton shut down the idiocy,

68. 228 xtine
    November 21, 2012 at 1:25 pm

[Rumble in Newark!]:

A behind-the-scenes political maneuver by Newark Mayor Cory Booker (D) to fill a vacant council seat with his choice “led to a near-riot in city hall tonight, with dozens of residents rushing the council stage and police responding with pepper-spray,” the Newark Star Ledger reports.

Booker made an unprecedented personal appearance to cast the deciding vote for Shanique Davis Speight to fill the seat of Rep.-elect Donald Payne Jr. (D), who was just elected to Congress. Booker’s opponents were pushing for John James, the son of former Newark mayor Sharpe James, who Booker beat in 2006.

Booker was able to cast the decisive vote when James allies on the city council stormed off in protest.

The power play was planned by Booker chief of staff Modia Bulter: “We did our research. We abided by the rules and guidelines. We didn’t run afoul of anything.”

69. 229 anniebella
    November 21, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I was wondering is Mitt Romney still trying to show that he care about the 47% by pumping his own gas, next he and Ann will be moving in a one room house.

70. 231 xtine
    November 21, 2012 at 1:26 pm

[Senor has a boo-boo!]:

“I won’t say who they are. They know who they are. They were on television. I mean, it was unbelievable. It was five, six days later, absolutely eviscerating him.”

— Former Romney adviser Dan Senor, quoted by CNN, saying it was “stunning” how Romney staffers “preened for administration positions when they thought Romney would win but then turned on the candidate as soon as he lost the election.”

71. November 21, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Morning all!

Right now I’m thankful that no more children will be blown up in Israel and Gaza. Logging on here and reading the news of the ceasefire was a great relief.

I have to share something that happened yesterday. I was at the reference desk, and a young man sat down. His face was beaten and bruised; he was homeless, and trying to get back home to Austin. He had been jumped, all his belongings and money stolen, and the Greyhound website wasn’t working so that he could see how much a ticket would cost. It nearly broke my heart. I gave him a flyer for a local homeless services center. Not a single person in grad school told me I’d be a social worker. Makes me thankful for the job I do.

• 237 sherijr
      November 21, 2012 at 1:34 pm

well done LL for giving a helping hand. We all need each other, so thank you for being there for this young man.

• 238 Nena20409
      November 21, 2012 at 1:56 pm

The song: Send Me An Angel……just popped into my Head as I read your post LL. You did great. You became his Angel. Thank you.

Thanks.giving. You did just that.

• 239 theo67
      November 21, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Goodness – thanks for helping him.

• 240 LDS
      November 21, 2012 at 4:15 pm

LL, just reading this.
      You……yes, you were at the right place at the appointed time to help this young man. My heart was touched. Thank you for sharing. You were there……yes, YOU!

72. 241 Lana
    November 21, 2012 at 1:34 pm

That photo of our President looking at Netanyahu with so much humanity… You can almost see the weight of the world on his face and yet there is a calmness and a sad patience there. Or maybe I’m reading too much into it? Anyway, thanks for that particular photo… It really made me stop and feel deeply for PBO. Off now to look at the “Grateful” video. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

73. 242 anniebella
    November 21, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I wonder if Malia and Sasha will be with POTUS when he pardon Mitt McCain Little Lindsey Romney, the Turkey.

74. November 21, 2012 at 1:41 pm

David Axelrod is being funny today! @richardwolffedc: The really big dogs on @Morning_Joe http://instagr.am/p/SSyB6LAv5F/ ” Weird how much Halperin & Heilemann have come 2 look alike!

75. November 21, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Also I guess the reason their has been no agreement on the fiscal cliff is boner wants obamacare to be repealed or no deal.
    So, that’s it. Onto the debt ceiling negotiations in march! And at that negotiation, where the Government runs out of money and the debt Celing needs to be raised, Boner has the Leverage. It’s why they are stalling, to get to that point.
    Just an observation, amazing the MSM has not figured this out.

76. November 21, 2012 at 1:48 pm