Nov

This and That

A red ribbon is hung from the North Portico of the White House, Nov. 30, to mark World AIDS Day on Dec. 1. (Official White House Photo by Lawrence Jackson)

Michael Grunwald (Time): It’s really amazing to see political reporters dutifully passing along Republican complaints that President Obama’s opening offer in the fiscal cliff talks is just a recycled version of his old plan, when those same reporters spent the last year dutifully passing along Republican complaints that Obama had no plan….

This isn’t just cognitive dissonance. It’s irresponsible reporting. Mainstream media outlets don’t want to look partisan, so they ignore the BS hidden in plain sight, the hypocrisy and dishonesty that defines the modern Republican Party…..

…. we’re not supposed to be stenographers. As long as the media let an entire political party invent a new reality every day, it will keep on doing it. Every day.

Full post here

David Firestone (NYT): Republicans reportedly laughed when they saw the Obama administration’s initial offer in the fiscal negotiations yesterday. The idea that President Obama might actually want to enact his campaign promises – tax hikes on the rich, modest Medicare cuts, investments in infrastructure – is apparently considered a joke to the party that has shown virtually no flexibility in the last four years.

But some of that laughter may contain nervousness, because there is more going on here than just a pathway to splitting the difference. The White House made clear yesterday that it is approaching these talks from a position of responsibility, and that it actually takes seriously the notion of old-fashioned bargaining. That’s something Republicans have refused to do — and now they realize they’ve been called out.

Full post here

TPM – more at Salon and The Atlantic

Deaniac (The People’s View): The president is in a fighting mood. Starting today, he’s barnstorming the country, getting the American people to pressure Congress to extend the middle class tax breaks, and to do so now. Yesterday, Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner presented the leaders of Congress with the Administration’s opening offer. That offer is heavy on revenue, tax fairness, and Medicare savings without affecting benefits. Here’s a short summary of what the president has proposed, from leaked details.

Full post here

Liberal Librarian (The People’s View): Yesterday’s vote in the UN on Palestine has stirred a lot of emotions on the left; I’ve taken the time to read the responses across a few blogs this morning, and for the most part they’ve been considered and judicious. So here are my two pfennigs.

When the world’s three most powerful faiths declare a piece of real estate “holy”, that causes problems of a sort not found anywhere else. To the Jews, it is the “Promised Land”, vouchsafed to them by God unto the last generation. To Muslims, it’s holy because God walked in it with the Hebrew patriarchs, whom they consider earlier prophets; and, of course, they believe Muhammad made his Night Journey to heaven from the Temple Mount. To Christians, obviously, it was the land where Jesus lived, preached, and died. The deep emotional and religious attachments are not to be disregarded.

Full post here

Kevin Drum (Mother Jones): There’s one particular strain of Republican reaction to their election loss that’s always given me the biggest chuckle, and today Paul Waldman highlights it: the absurd proposition that Mitt Romney never forthrightly defended conservative principles….

…. For months, conservatives yelled from the rooftops about how 2012 presented the sharpest choice ever in governing philosophies …. [they] claimed that this one was truly an ideological turning point, America’s last chance to choose what kind of country we should be. But literally within hours of defeat, they turned on a dime and insisted that the American people weren’t given a real chance to decide between two competing visions. And they’ve maintained this claim despite losing the popular vote in the House, the Senate, and the presidency, and despite the fact that demographic trends very clearly spell even further trouble in the future for their hardnosed brand of social intolerance and slavish dedication to the interests of the rich.

Full post here

Two completely random pics:

191 Responses to “This and That”

1. 1 ber6964
    November 30, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Good Evening!

2. 6 ber6964
    November 30, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Whoo Hoo….!!!

3. November 30, 2012 at 8:07 pm

4. November 30, 2012 at 8:11 pm

COMPLETELY off topic, but… the soundtrack to the Hobbit makes great background listening while catching up on TOD!
    enJOY

5. November 30, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Dear The Obama Diary:
    It is November, not February, but this is a Valentine. I do not know who you are or where you are, how old you are nor whether you are one person, twins, a choir, or a 35-student graduate school course in journalism, creative writing, graphic art, design, statistics, literature, photography, and computer science, crowd-sourcing a blog for your Group PhD. Whomever you are, wherever you are, I want to say, with my fullest heart, thank you thank you thank you. Bless you bless you bless you. May all that you do float back to you really soon in the form of blessings in your favorite colors, styles, flavors and forms. Today is not better than yesterday or tomorrow — it’s just One More Day of The Obama Diary going out to find it and bringing it back to the beautiful, inviting, brilliant, empowering, moving, hilarious, uplifting, educational, smart, wise, indisputably righteous and good mind-meal that you serve up to the world, at no charge, often more than once or twice a day. I wish I had found you earlier, but that is not the place to stay. I found you when I was in greatest need of the sanity, smarts, depth and solidarity that you deliver all the time always. Coming here helped me be less afraid and more confident, less angry and more ready for the battles and actions we need to take, less anxious and more steady in truth and justice and…well….The American Way. I hope you receive blessings so massive and generously shaped that there is not room enough to receive them, and you have to rent a storehouse for all those extra blessings (Malachi 3:10). If you are ever coming to North Carolina, I would love to know that so I could cook you a meal and shake your hand. In closing, thank you thank you thank you.

November 30, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Rats! Rats! Rats! I was almost caught up on the ‘what Pres wants for Christmas ‘thread – the one I signed in on today. Couldn’t you have waited just 10mins more for me to at least finish one thread today, Chips? Rats!

7. 67 criquet
    November 30, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Hello all

8. 68 criquet
    November 30, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I should add that I have been computer challenged for a while but am hopefully back up and running. Fingers crossed.

November 30, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I just love all the media bashing today. The fourth estate are the really fifth columnists.

10. 70 Don
    November 30, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I just hope President Obama is gentlemanly enough to give the Republicans cab fare home in the morning when he’s finished with them.

11. November 30, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Have been waiting for all the pundits to remember the little matter of automatic defense cuts midnight, 31 Dec 2012 :)

Boehner, Cantor, Ryan, McConnell have placed themselves in an absolutely horrible negotiation position, as many of you have realized, since many of you realized in Dec 2010 and Aug 2011 that PBO was way, way out in front of these dudes.

Their only hope was that PBO would be defeated on 6 Nov 2012. When that didn’t happen they descended into a world of hurt that is way beyond anything I’ve yet heard adequately described by the know it all #NEWSTAINERS and otherwise fluff purveyors.

#TrustBarack He’s Earned It

• 73 HZ
      November 30, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Just putting my kleenex box away after reading the beautiful comment by Nancie. Thank you and welcome Nancie.
      Your beautiful comment speaks what is in our hearts here in the TOD Family. Because of our beautiful Chips, we have felt that we are truly blessed to be in this space as well.

Again, thanks so much Nancie, and please come back and enjoy this beautiful family. HZ

• 74 nanciesrealthai2012
        November 30, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I’m here for good. Get it? For good, as in, you’ll have to invite me to leave. And : For Good. Goodness. Good place, good people, good vibes, good day and good night. Honored, grateful, fired up, smiling, audacious and on board.

November 30, 2012 at 8:33 pm

“Wasserman estimates there are 100,000 votes outstanding in New Jersey, 300,000 left to count in California and as many as 1 million in New York not yet tabulated. Election officials blame Superstorm Sandy, in part, for the slow tally on parts of the Eastern Seaboard. Many voters there cast provisional ballots, whose legitimacy must be verified before they can be counted.

“The final numbers may upset some of the conventional thinking that had begun to congeal early around the 2012 outcome. It now appears that a total of 130 million votes may have been cast nationally for all candidates. That would only be 1.3 million fewer than in 2008 — when the unprecedented ascendancy of an African-American to a major party ticket was thought to have driven high turnout.

“In arguing against an Obama mandate from the 2012 election, some Republicans had noted that the incumbent would get 7 million fewer votes than he did in 2008. Now it appears that difference may end up being something closer to 3 million.”

Nearly 1.4 million votes yet to be counted and PBO needs just a third of them to cross 5 million PV lead. I may be right after all. Eat that japa. :D :D :D

• November 30, 2012 at 8:45 pm

And, if Sandy had not happened, we’d likely see a total vote in excess of 2008.

• 81 nathkatun7
      November 30, 2012 at 9:45 pm

AMK, I’ve been in your corner of late. The last time I checked the numbers PBO was within striking distance of your predicted 5 mil vote margin. All he needs now is 433,108 votes. If it’s true that there are still at least 1.4 million votes to be counted in CA, NT and NY., the President has a chance to win by more than 5mil votes and 51% of the votes. By the way, PBO already won the 12 swing states by more than 51% of the votes.

• 82 amk for obama
        November 30, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Yup, nath. Not only he won in all three metrics (US Total/Swing States/Non-Swing States), but also already cornered the top two spots for the maximum number of votes won in all prez races.

November 30, 2012 at 8:38 pm

• 85 nathkatun7
      November 30, 2012 at 9:51 pm

I should have waited before posting my comment above. I totally agree with you that when all the votes are counted your prediction of
      “5 mil PV ” margin victory for the President will be vindicated.

14. 86 HZ
    November 30, 2012 at 8:54 pm

TOD Family, remember if you have young person in your family or community who might be interested in having an opportunity of a lifetime, please share this with them.

It is the time to sign the Summer 2013 White House Intership Program . Application window is now open. Here is the link.

Spread the word. HZ

15. November 30, 2012 at 8:57 pm

16. 88 GGail
    November 30, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Good West Coast evening Chipsticks!

Nancie – that was beautiful and well said – we love and adore our Chipsticks :-)

Thank you Chipsticks for letting us know that Fred contacted you and is in the recovery mode – may God continue to bless and heal Fred!

LL, – your piece was FANTASTIC! Thank you :-)

Chipsticks – I just LOVE the Random pics of playful FLOTUS & laughing POTUS – THANK YOU!!!!!

Well, I think I’ve covered all that I wanted to remember to say :lol:

17. 104 GGail
    November 30, 2012 at 9:13 pm

JOB ANNOUNCEMENT

FIELD REPRESENTATIVE

OFFICE OF UNITED STATES SENATOR DIANNE FEINSTEIN

Position: Field Representative for Riverside, San Bernardino and Orange counties

Opening: Available immediately. Open until filled.

Salary: Commensurate with experience; includes full benefits package.

Hours: Full-time exempt position.
    Please address your cover letter to:
    Trevor J. Daley
    Deputy State Director
    Office of US Senator Dianne Feinstein
    11111 Santa Monica Blvd, Suite 915
    Los Angeles, California 90025

ALL cover letters and resumes should be emailed directly to Sabiha Khan at:

Sabiha_Khan@feinstein.senate.gov

No calls please. EMAIL IS PREFERRED.

18. November 30, 2012 at 9:26 pm

19. November 30, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Check the cartoon … brutal!! ;)

20. November 30, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Hey, Chips, and all… This “Fiscal Cliff” thing is such crap, as is “Benghazigate.” They are both NOTHING other than rank road kill for the Foxes, who just won’t shut up about either of them. No other outlet “covers” them at all. It’s garbage. (I only see this junk because my husband watches Faux, and even he is getting sick of it.) The repugnant SHAME of McCain, Graham, and Ayotte, using the death of someone who was evidently one of our finest ambassadors, and others who died in that attack, to get Scott (pretty boy) Brown into the Senate, is just revolting. How do these people sleep at night…? Good god… Get them out of here…

I’m GLAD our Prez is saying, basically, “Here’s my offer. Deal with it.”

Can anyone IMAGINE Romney…? Good god; it’s scary.

Absolutely loved Bo, First Dog, checking out the Christmas decorations, and Biden with his own Costco card. (I had the pleasure of sleeping with a wonderful Porty – Splash – for eight days in Idaho, in my dearest Soul Sister’s RV.) Thanks for posting these most excellent things.

Gato

• 113 99ts
      December 1, 2012 at 2:28 am

The number of Americans who know where Benghazi is – let alone who know, understand or care about what happens there probably number in the low 1000s – mainly being the friends and families of those who lost their lives and media jerks. A similar number probably have concerns about Israel, Palestine and the middle east – and mainly to the extent that it impacts the price of petrol.

How often does the media talk about Iraq and Afghanistan in current times – yet thousands of Americans and hundreds of thousands of local people have died there over the past 10 years.

At the minute most Americans are thinking about Christmas – where they will be – what they can afford to buy for presents and what is on the menu. The President, as he should be, is concentrating on domestic issues – when the congress decides to do their job – and help create some jobs – THEN and only then might it be time to look at foreign affairs. The media continues to allow the GOP congress critters to do nothing that would help the American People. No wonder the President prefers to talk to the People people.

November 30, 2012 at 9:39 pm

A woman’s husband had been slipping in and out of a coma for several months, yet she had stayed by his bedside every single day. One day, when he came to, he motioned for her to come nearer. As she sat by him, he whispered, eyes full of tears, “You know what? You have been with me all through the bad times. When I got fired, you were there to support me. When my business failed, you were there. When I got shot, you were by my side. When we lost the house, you stayed right here. When my health started failing, you were still by my side. You know what?”

“What dear?” she asked gently, smiling as her heart began to fill with warmth.

“I think you’re bad luck.”

November 30, 2012 at 9:43 pm

A husband and his wife were having a big argument at breakfast. “You aren’t so good in bed either!” he shouted and stormed off to work.

By mid morning, he decided he’d better make amends and phoned home. After many rings, his wife picked up the phone. “What took you so long to answer?”

“I was in bed.”

“What were you doing in bed this late?”

“Getting a second opinion.”

23. November 30, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Lovely Hubby and Wife pics. I miss seeing them together but no doubt Michelle is busy with Christmas activities. Enjoyed reading Nancie’s letter. What a lovely compliment which surely sums up what I feel and judging by the supportive comments, lots of others too.

24. 122 0388jojothecat
    November 30, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Flipping channels and landed on Fauxs Insanity Show and he had Bob Woodward on saying PBO is not being an honest broker in the Financial Cliff Debate by sending what taxes and cuts he’s willing to make. What happened to Bob? Did he get his fee fees hurt because PBO won’t let him into his inner circle like GWB did so he can do a hacket job on him?

25. November 30, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Good night Chips and gang. :)

I saw “Life of Pi” this week and it is such a stunningly beautiful movie and story. If you haven’t read the book or seen the movie you should. And I’m sure the President would agree…

Life of Pi author Martel hears from Obama:

SASKATOON — While much-publicized efforts by Saskatoon author Yann Martel to connect with Prime Minister Stephen Harper via literature have been met by silence, the writer has received a sign of appreciation from a different office.

In February 2010, Martel received an envelope from the White House.
    It contained a quick two-paragraph note: “My daughter and I just finished reading Life of Pi together. Both of us agreed we prefer the story with animals. It is a lovely book — an elegant proof of God, and the power of storytelling. Thank you.”
    It was signed by President Barack Obama.

• 126 Claire
      November 30, 2012 at 10:14 pm

My sister’s fav book. She has been ranting at me to read it for years. After your post, I ‘ll get the book. Thanks!

November 30, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Actually nodding off every 5 sec, so am not really catching what’s going on. See you guys, another time.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

27. November 30, 2012 at 10:27 pm

28. November 30, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Pelosi’s discharge-petition gambit seems unlikely to succeed, even though a few House Republicans — most notably Rep. Tom Cole (R-Okla.) — have offered support for extending the middle-class rates alone.

Democrats would need the support of more than 20 Republicans to secure the 218 signatures needed to force the bill to the floor.

Oh, that ain’t going to work! Nice try though, thought we had them.

November 30, 2012 at 10:37 pm

30. 136 HZ
    November 30, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Good Night Chips and my TOD family. Yes, I know, it is still very early out here on the west coast, but for some reason, I am tired tonight. Did a little too much today around the house. Rain makes me want to clear things out, and read. Lovely day, and my beautiful brother just sent a text that his destination of home is getting closer. So I am elated that he is back in the country. Now off to sleep for me.

I hope and pray that our Fred will have a restful night. ((((((((( Lots of hugs to you, Fred))))))))))))HZ

Jackie, ((((((((((((((( Lovingly sending out goodness to your sister.)))))))))))))))))HZ

Goodnight my beautiful family. Love you all very much.HZ

31. 138 LDS
    November 30, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Nancie, before you turn in for the night, just want to let you know I felt that Southern hospitality all the way up here in the Village of Harlem, U.S.A.
    I have not been able to stop shedding tears since Nov. 6…..and now, here I go again. I am a big mess right about now, tears flowing, smiling, glowing. Just tears of joy.

Your Scripture is truly a blessing and I personally receive it from your heart to mine. Talk about affirmation! Right on time.
    This place is truly a safe haven and it’s nice to meet you.
    Ya’ll come back again , ya here. I was born in Ga, and you know good folks when you meet them and you are good folks……welcome.
    Good night everyone. Sweet dreams.
    Praying for complete healing for Fred. Thank you, Chips for the update way up there.

November 30, 2012 at 11:07 pm

• 142 susanne
      December 1, 2012 at 12:34 am

yikes. i trust pbo and i know that his choice will be the best choice. and yet….. it feels like any nominee except susan rice will fuel the rethugs’ belief that they are in charge of these appointments. and huntsman broke with pbo to run against him. to honor him this way, when there are fine, loyal democrats available, doesn’t seem credible to me.

• December 1, 2012 at 12:52 am

Not if he appoints her to any other cabinet position, then he picks General Clark for Defence, and leaves Kerry in MA. Grampy and his CabanaBoy would really look like eeejits.

• 144 nathkatun7
          December 1, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Tally, I don’t think a retired Military General can be picked to be Sec. of Defense. There is this thing about maintaining civilian control over the military. I still think Ambassador Rice is the best fit for Sec of State.

• 146 No Child Left Behind
        December 1, 2012 at 12:56 am

Ditto.

I agree with you, Susanne. Huntsman doesn’t deserve any position in the Obama Administration after his conduct.

Hello everyone.

• 147 amk for obama
      December 1, 2012 at 1:26 am

The guy quit on him once. So why would Obama pick him again ?

• 149 theo67
      December 1, 2012 at 2:16 am

No way Jon Huntsman works for the President again – and specifically not in the role of top Cabinet Secretary, representing the US on the world stage. It’s been proven that he spent his time in China furthering the objectives of his own family business, instead of furthering the cause of America. He’s still a right winger with right wing ideas. And he betrayed the President. No way.

• 150 Chi
        December 1, 2012 at 9:41 am

This bizarre push to once again elevate and reward a disloyal and rather unremarkable person like Jon Huntsman is insane…

There are smart, accomplished, exceptional candidates within the Democratic party who share President Obama’s foreign policy vision and won’t be so quick to use the position for self-advancement or to undermine the President…

Why on earth would President Obama throw away the most senior, most important cabinet positions to appease some bogus ‘partisan’ narrative for people who still won’t give him credit or work with him…

Since when does a President get to be strong-armed again and again into filling his cabinet with choices made by others and only for the purposes of sabotaging his efforts and his legacy…

President Obama will fill his second term cabinet with people that are willing and able to carry out and interpret his brilliant vision…

There are so many brilliant and capable people who share and embrace the President’s vision and who supported and continue to support our brilliant President, who deserve consideration for cabinet positions this go around…

Last time there was talk of ‘uniting’ the Democratic party and so many original Obama supporters were passed over for Clinton loyalists in filling the cabinet…

This time around the President gets to reward those who have actually stood with him from the start – and there are lots of smart folks amongst them…

No more opportunistic weasels like Jon Huntsman who quit the job he was given barely 2 years in to run against the boss who gave him the job…

Lynn de Rothschild, close Clinton pal, chief fundraiser and chair of the Jon Huntsman for president ‘exploratory’ campaign and most rabid anti-President Obama PUMA will just have to find another way to have access and influence over the next 4 years…

Employing so-called progressives to shill for Jon Huntsman isn’t fooling anyone…

With all the talent that abounds in this country and specifically within the Democratic leaning demographic, why on earth would President Obama recycle and reward once again a disloyal jerk like Jon Huntsman like we were a third world country lacking in talent and with such slim pickings he’s forced to rely on rehiring an unremarkable and self-serving asshole like Huntsman…

• December 1, 2012 at 9:56 am

Good point. He just seems so normal compared to the crazy.

33. December 1, 2012 at 12:05 am

It was nice to check in at the end of the day and read Nancie’s lovely letter. I’ve had a relentless week, one way or another, and haven’t had time to relax until tonight. My birthday passed in a blur on Wednesday-just now sinking in I’m a year older.

34. 164 Tally
    December 1, 2012 at 12:50 am

ok…. watching Last Word – What is wrong with Alex Wagner’s head? Is her hair so heavy on the right side of her head she can’t hold her head straight? Seriously. She’s smart, and pretty, Why does her head always tilt her head to her right?

December 1, 2012 at 1:25 am

December 1, 2012 at 2:16 am

37. 172 susanne
    December 1, 2012 at 5:35 am

well, it’s bedtime for me. sleep well tods, and have a happy saturday!

December 1, 2012 at 6:15 am

Hi Susanne, hope you are in dreamland and enjoying sweet dreams even as I write this. I cut out early last night because MY eyes refused to stay open, but of course I was awake again four hours or so later, yet too lethargic to boot up my laptop and sign on. Off to see what I missed!

December 1, 2012 at 7:10 am

Last week, we learned from Mark Blumenthal the story behind the internal polling of President Obama’s re-election campaign. Obama’s team was serious about its numbers and had an understanding about polling that stunned even me.

The Obama campaign combined three levels of data to peg the state of the race against Mitt Romney. The campaign conducted aggregated battleground polls for message testing, individual state tracking polls by multiple pollsters to understand where the campaign was standing in each state, and individual state parallel surveys to refine micro-targeting.

Notice how Obama’s team utilized multiple pollsters at three different levels, to ensure any one survey error wouldn’t affect them too much. This shows a keen mind for utilizing modern research that says no one poll is always best or worst.

The Obama analytics team made one other key correct judgement. It has become sport for campaigns to trash public polling. But as they said some public polling was wrong, (which it was), the Obama team recognized that it was still useful in figuring out where the horse race stood.

All of this well thought-out planning worked, predictably, and Obama’s campaign team now look like geniuses.

• 175 amk for obama
      December 1, 2012 at 7:14 am

the Romney campaign apparently didn’t care to look at the public polling. I have no idea how many pollsters Romney’s team had as part of the campaign, beyond their chief pollster. I hope they were getting their data from more than one internal source; they should have looked at public polling too.

This again goes back to a fact that the Obama campaign understood. Pretty much any poll is useful in some way. Some polls are going to be right more often, but no one poll is going to be right all the time. Obama’s team built a model that took into account public polling. They used statistical equations (ie: math) to weight the polling to see what picture of the electorate made most sense, given what they knew. Romney’s team would have been far better off if they had done the same.

• 176 amk for obama
      December 1, 2012 at 7:15 am

As I noted in the lead-up to the election, Romney didn’t lead in a single public Ohio poll in the final weeks. Historically, this has always been a death knell. Romney didn’t lead in a single internal Ohio survey, either.

When that was combined with Romney’s lack of leads in other swing states that would have put him over the top, such as Wisconsin, Romney’s team should have realized that they were dead in the water.

Indeed, if you believe the reporting, it’s fairly clear that Romney’s pollsters were in another world. The way they organized their polling data is not something that will be done by any successful campaign going forward.

December 1, 2012 at 7:17 am

December 1, 2012 at 7:37 am

Unless the voters start pushing their congress critters, they are gonna end up with tax increases.

December 1, 2012 at 7:40 am

• December 1, 2012 at 7:54 am

I got a feeling we might be headed over the cliff. Why? Because, as I have been telling People the real battle is in march when we raise the debt limit. Why do cuts in spending twice in a short period of time?
      The President knows this, and is letting the Public know, he is trying to get them their tax cut and the best deal possible. However, Republicans are again holding the Country Hostage for the top 2%.
      Here we go again!

• December 1, 2012 at 8:11 am

POTUS has the stronger hand. He is setting them up for a great FAIL :-)

Bob says it best … #TrustBarack

The president would be justified in taking extreme actions to protect against a debt default. In the event that congressional irresponsibility makes default impossible to avoid, he should order the secretary of the Treasury to simply disregard the debt limit and sell whatever securities are necessary to raise cash to pay the nation’s debts. They are protected by the full faith and credit of the United States and preventing default is no less justified than using American military power to protect against an armed invasion without a congressional declaration of war.
        Furthermore, it’s worth remembering that the debt limit is statutory law, which is trumped by the Constitution which has a little known provision that relates to this issue. Section 4 of the 14th Amendment says, “The validity of the public debt of the United States…shall not be questioned.” This could easily justify the sort of extraordinary presidential action to avoid default that I am suggesting.

Read more at http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Columns/2011/04/29/The-Debt-Limit-Option-President-Obama-Can-Use.aspx#sQwV5yLk8M1Tc2Ys.99

• December 1, 2012 at 8:31 am

I agree with that, but then the House would go into impeachment hearings. That’s what they want anyways. They are following the Gingrich crap of 1990 republican revolution.
          Almost to a tee, it’s like groundhog day. Luckily, this President knows what their next moves are, by just studying History.

42. December 1, 2012 at 8:02 am

Nancy Pelosi needs 18 Republicans to bring middle class tax cuts to the floor, providing she gets every single Democrat in the House.
    Eighteen Tea Baggers will not vote for this, or am I missing something?
    People need to stop overstating positions and cone back down to reality.
    This negotiation is tough, the Republicans were going to transform the whole system if Robney won, now it’s plan B, obstruct again.
    Also, the President asked us all to write our congressman and Senatirs.
    I just did!

December 1, 2012 at 9:00 am

• 190 nathkatun7
      December 1, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Great tweets, AMK! I am anticipating the final count for the outstanding votes to increase the President’s victory margin to 5 mil.

RSS Steve Benen