Dec

Rise and Shine

Today:

12:30: Jay Carney briefs the press

2:55: President Obama hosts a bilateral meeting with Prime Minister Boyko Borissov of Bulgaria

4:0: Delivers remarks to the Nunn-Lugar Cooperative Threat Reduction symposium

Paul Krugman: In the ongoing battle of the budget, President Obama has done something very cruel. Declaring that this time he won’t negotiate with himself, he has refused to lay out a proposal reflecting what he thinks Republicans want. Instead, he has demanded that Republicans themselves say, explicitly, what they want. And guess what: They can’t or won’t do it.

No, really …. And there’s a reason for this reticence. The fact is that Republican posturing on the deficit has always been a con game, a play on the innumeracy of voters and reporters. Now Mr. Obama has demanded that the G.O.P. put up or shut up — and the response is an aggrieved mumble.

Full article here

ThinkProgress

Steve Benen: Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner appeared on several Sunday shows yesterday, and for the first time, made explicitly clear that higher rates on income above $250,000 is a precondition to any fiscal agreement.

…. this, in a nutshell, is why talks aren’t going anywhere. The White House has a plan on the table, which includes $1.6 trillion in new revenue, relying largely on higher rates on income above $250,000. Congressional Republicans, by their own admission, have no plan….

For those who take arithmetic seriously, the GOP approach borders on laughable….

Full post here

CNN: Mitt Romney supporter Kid Rock said on Sunday that he told President Obama there are “no hard feelings” over his re-election victory. In an interview with CNN, the rock singer said he spoke with the President on Sunday at the Kennedy Center Honors event. (Video at link)

No hard feelings? Aw, that’s nice of him. :roll:

Loved what the President said to him when they met: “I’m still here.” :cool:

Kathleen Geier (Washington Monthly): One of the more surprising voting trends in American politics over the past two decades is the dramatic shift of Asian Americans toward the Democratic Party. Only 31% of the Asian American electorate voted for Bill Clinton in 1992, but 73% supported Barack Obama in 2012. What accounts for this change? Working with data from the National Asian American Survey, two political scientists have some answers.

The professors reject a variety of explanations that have recently been offered. No, it’s apparently not because, as David Brooks proposed, Asian American voters are less individualistic or less antagonistic toward government than are other Americans …. Rather, there are are cluster of “push and pull” factors …. Some of the pull factors: Asian Americans like President Obama’s policies on health care, education, and the Iraq War…..

As for the “push factors”: well, the Republican’s anti-immigrant bias and its alliance with the Christian right are not doing them any favors so far as Asian Americans are concerned….

Full post here

Business Insider: One month before Election Day, David Paleologos threw himself into the poll-heavy discussion of the 2012 campaign with a bold prediction.

Paleologos, the director of the Suffolk University Political Research Center, said that he would no longer poll three key swing states — North Carolina, Virginia and Florida — because he was certain Republican Mitt Romney would win them.

That prediction, obviously, turned out to be horribly wrong. Romney won North Carolina, but Romney lost Virginia by nearly 4 points — and one of the biggest surprises of the election came when President Barack Obama won Florida.

…. Paleologos said that Suffolk would re-evaluate its likely voter screen ….

More here

ABC: When Inauguration Day falls on a Sunday, the Constitution won’t wait …. The iron beams are in place jutting out over Pennsylvania Avenue outside the White House.They will become the roof of the presidential reviewing stand for the second Obama inaugural next month.

But the traditional parade with its bands and floats will not march on January 20th, the day the Constitution requires the President to be sworn in. That falls on a Sunday this time so by tradition there will only be a small Sunday ceremony for the oath-taking at noon.

…. President Obama will also have to take the oath twice: At noon Jan. 20 as the Constitution requires, and again Monday at the US Capitol with the whole world watching.

More here

Completely random pics:

Mooooooooorning everyone.

143 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 4morefor44
    December 3, 2012 at 9:37 am

forward!!

2. 6 Japa21
    December 3, 2012 at 9:38 am

WTG 4more. Just missed, as usual. GM all.

December 3, 2012 at 9:38 am

Well done, 4more!

Hi guys and gals of TODville! It’s Monday again. ;)  Wonder what’s in store for everyone this week? Morning Ms Chips! Notice I got here BEFORE you today so I could be a part of the smiling group you see on your arrival? ;)

December 3, 2012 at 9:38 am

GM folks. GM Chips.

December 3, 2012 at 9:56 am

A very ‘Good’ late afternoon/early evening to you Mr. Amk! I trust all is well in your little (familial) corner of the world?

• 11 amk for obama
        December 3, 2012 at 10:01 am

GM vc. Everything is peachy here. Meeting my son in his college tomorrow.

December 3, 2012 at 10:06 am

Are you taking lots of goodies (that he won’t eat)? Has he completed first trimester yet – not sure how your academic year is divided? I have one here who was writing ‘final’ essays (hence that little bit I shared about Indian music) and end-of-semester exams actually start this Wednesday. :roll: The year seems to me to get shorter and shorter, like the GOP congress work year.

• 13 amk for obama
            December 3, 2012 at 10:11 am

It’s semester system here. The boy is starting semester finals next week. His mom has packed a ton of goodies to be delivered tomorrow. His pals love his mom. Of course, they would. Why would they not ? It’s my wallet that got picked.

December 3, 2012 at 10:15 am

‘Why would they not ? It’s my wallet that got picked.’

You love it, I can tell! :lol: After all, isn’t that why you work so hard? So, is one son coming home after finals, or is this visit because he isn’t ?

• 15 amk for obama
                December 3, 2012 at 10:21 am

Planning on a family vacay for the x’mas hols. Daughter is all stressed out writing a series of highly competitive entrance exams for her higher studies., which thankfully will end next week. So yeah, the wallet is getting thinnah and thinnah.

December 3, 2012 at 10:27 am

‘Poor soul’ – I thought she was already done with that around the time of Diwali. At least when you all go off on vacay they will really be behind her. Till then you’d better put in less time perusing the joke book and more time adding to the bank book. ;) ;)

• 17 relellit
      December 3, 2012 at 10:13 am

Good morning TODville & Chips

The worst do-nothing congress ever. Show some leadership.

Better yet, Boehnor should resign. Bill Press was asking people to contact him and ask him to resign. That oughta give him a reason to boo hoo on TV.
      my2k

Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi is every thing a leader should be. The Grimm Weeper is incapable of leadership. He’s a drunkard and has no idea what is going on the world because he stays stone. He’s a drunkard, space- cadet so flying off the cliff does not matter to him.

Pelosi called on House Republican leadership to bring that legislation to the floor next week and threatened that if they do not schedule a vote on the Senate bill, Democrats will file what’s known as a discharge petition on Tuesday to force a vote on the measure in her chamber. If Democrats successfully obtain 218 signatures on the discharge petition, it would automatically force the middle income tax cut bill to the floor for a vote.

Congratulations 4morefor44 on 1st.

Everyone have a nice day:)

• 18 Lovepolitics2008
        December 3, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I don’t think the main factor in Speaker Boehner’s weak leadership is his problems with alcool. He’s not knowledgeable but furthermore, It seems to me that he is not very bright in the first place. Alcool problems tend to worsen with time, so if we assume his problems were not as big a few years ago, was he better ? No. He has never been someone who stood out for intellectual brilliance or for wealth of knowledge. The man doesn’t know nor understand a thing about economics, about foreign policy, about … you name it. He’s a mediocre mind, an ordinary politician who is reciting talking points given to him by his staffers or by right wing think thanks. How he ended up Speaker tells a lot about the story state of the republican party.

December 3, 2012 at 9:42 am

6. 20 dudette9t9
    December 3, 2012 at 9:42 am

Good Morning!!!!

December 3, 2012 at 10:00 am

Hell-ooo Dudette! Happy Monday.

I like that ‘tax the rich’ animation you shared, and I also saw a few others in passing that I haven’t scrutinized yet. The day is still young and I’m already feeling swamped with all the ‘good stuff’ you all are sharing!

7. December 3, 2012 at 9:44 am

Federal and state officials will announce Monday that Massachusetts and four other states will begin implementing longer school days for some students next September, to provide extra academic traction and enrichment for thousands of children.

Select schools in Colorado, Connecticut, New York, and Tennessee will join Massachusetts in adding extra school hours. The announcement comes six years after the Bay State launched a program to extend the day at schools in several districts; the new effort will add to that.

“It’s a pretty red letter day for Massachusetts,” said Christopher Gabrieli, chairman of Massachusetts 2020, the group that spearheaded the effort that launched in 2006.

8. 28 Pamela
    December 3, 2012 at 9:48 am

G’day y’all! Mind if I join you for breakfast? BRB!

9. 29 dudette9t9
    December 3, 2012 at 9:50 am

10. 30 Carol
    December 3, 2012 at 9:54 am

Was not into Twitter, till I got my grassroots page. I’m sure glad I did. Thanks for All the pics videos and all news info. Love the President and First family. We Americans feel inclusive now of White House. Lastly we love, first dog Bo. Thank You!

11. December 3, 2012 at 10:00 am

So then, how is everyone on this mighty fine Monday?

12. December 3, 2012 at 10:02 am

Hi Good morning Chips and all TOD’ville. Don’t you mean “cry-baby sitting” for Jay Carney at 12:30pm? He must the patience of Job to work with that lot.

13. 52 Pamela
    December 3, 2012 at 10:07 am

I have a question, two questions actually:
    If PBO has to take the Oath of Office twice next month, doesn’t that mean he gets a Third Term AUTOMATICALLY? Seems to me it should work that way….
    Isn’t the word Paul Krugman is looking for: ‘Checkmate’?

December 3, 2012 at 10:11 am

Hey Chipsticks it’d be great if you could convert this Today Show video into a Youtube video. It’s Ray Romano taking a humorous swipe at Pres. Obama’s 1st debate performance at the Kennedy Center Honors. It’s quite hilarious.

15. 60 dudette9t9
    December 3, 2012 at 10:12 am

16. 62 Pamela
    December 3, 2012 at 10:13 am

Thank you, Chipsticks, bye everyone, back to check on your work in a while! :lol:

17. 63 dudette9t9
    December 3, 2012 at 10:14 am

Thumbnails of arrivals photos at the Kennedy Center Honors performance:

Click the individual photos to see a larger version.

18. 67 dudette9t9
    December 3, 2012 at 10:21 am

Gotta say: I got goosebumps from just those few seconds of watching Lenny Kravitz do Zeppelin’s “Whole Lotta Love” … Holy Smokes, that man gives me feeevah! I CANNOT WAIT for the broadcast of this performance!

• 68 isonprize
      December 3, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Dudette,

I signed in JUST TO MAKE THE SAME COMMENT!!!

LENNY!!! Lawd have mercy!! Take it easy, Lenny, take it easy… It’s only noon and I’m sweatin’ :cool: :cool:

19. 69 mtmarilyn
    December 3, 2012 at 10:25 am

Good morning Chips and TOD family. Thank you Ms Chips for the wonderful pictures and stories. I love how the Repubs don’t seem to have learned anything. They still think they run this country. I don’t think they understand how we the people have been energized and have learned we do have power. It is still “We the People” in America. Have a great day everyone!

20. December 3, 2012 at 10:41 am

Good morning, Chips and TODville!!

21. 72 dudette9t9
    December 3, 2012 at 10:44 am

I may have missed this White House video from Friday… if so, it’s worth a repeat!
    —————-

Mayra – We All Agree, Pass The Middle Class Tax Cuts

The President says “I’ve got a mandate to help middle-class families and families that are working hard to try to get into the middle class. That’s my mandate. That’s what the American people said. They said: Work really hard to help us.”
    – President Obama, November 14th 2012

Right now, working really hard to help the middle class means keeping taxes low for 98% of American families who are otherwise staring down a $2,000 tax increase on January 1 — if Congress doesn’t act.

This debate is about you, so it ought to feature your voices. Use #My2k on twitter or share your story at wh.gov/taxes

22. 74 dudette9t9
    December 3, 2012 at 10:59 am

23. 76 pugeretto
    December 3, 2012 at 11:06 am

Morning Chips & everyone here – beautiful night!

24. 77 dudette9t9
    December 3, 2012 at 11:13 am

Okay so, Catherine Duchess of Cambridge is pregnant. We can all exhale now.*

*Paparazzi fervor over fetus ensues.

• 78 dotster3
      December 3, 2012 at 11:34 am

We will be inundated to a nauseating degree. We already get news on “the royals” every day on NBC whether we want it or not. Mr. dotster makes fun of it, keeps saying he now loves the royals. :)

25. 79 whatisworking
    December 3, 2012 at 11:15 am

Good Morning TOD family

I wanted to update you about hat our old OFA group did this weekend, and encourage you to join in.

We met on Saturday and called Dem. in Brian Bilbray’s district. We encouraged folks to call Congressman Bilbray and ask him to reaise taxes on the tip 2%. (he lost his seat to a Dem so he will only be in Congress until Jan)

It felt great to be doing something again.

We were asked to make calls and also “generate noise” about the group and the issue.

So my hubby and I made 2 videos that you folks can view and share on Facebook, Twitter and email.

This also gives you a chance to see my beautiful kitchen cabinets that my husband built.

First e asked the folks who attended why they were still working for the President.

December 3, 2012 at 11:41 am

I tweeted

BTW, Linda, does hubby do kitchen counters? He could always practise on mine, you know.

• 81 whatisworking
        December 3, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Thanks so much Vicki. Your tweets and support really help.

Hubbie does not do countertops and will NEVER do a kitchen again. He thought he could have the cabinets built in 6 months, it took 4 years. The good news is that they are done and they are beautiful.

• 82 whatisworking
          December 3, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Oops VC not Vicki – I am so dingy sometimes

December 3, 2012 at 12:31 pm

They are beautiful and just the shade I like! Another missed opportunity for my kitchen to get a face lift because I was ‘too late’! Sigh. ;) And your instincts were correct; I am a Vicki only I was ‘too late’ (AGAIN) to copyright it online. :lol:

26. 84 whatisworking
    December 3, 2012 at 11:17 am

Then – inspired by all the great videos Chips makes, I took a few photos from the event and made them into a slide show with the President’s comments as narration. I like that one too, and it gives you a chance to see our dog.

December 3, 2012 at 11:33 am

Good stuff, Linda, I’m definitely tweeting. (I like to add visuals to my tweets when I can because I feel they are more effective in our fast-paced culture, and of course there’s not as much pertinent ‘stuff’ now that the election itself is over.) It sure feels good to see you and your group still engaged. Thanks

• December 3, 2012 at 11:44 am

LINDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!! That rocks. Bless your heart for staying active. Love these.

• 88 whatisworking
        December 3, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Thanks Tien Le

Never had a chance to congratulate you on the Dem Representative in your area getting elected. You rock tooooo.

• December 3, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Excellent Linda! And I LOVE your dog!!

• 90 whatisworking
        December 3, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Thanks Chips, I am inspired by your great videos. It is so fun to see what a sound track (of our beloved President) and a few transitions can do.

I will give Maverick (our dog) a hug for you.

• December 3, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Thanks for that reminder. I used your link and sent emails to the gang of “holdouts”. Also wrote down the phone numbers and will call later this afternoon. Don’t know who saw the email I shared last night from our local OFA leader. I sent my three emails to her last night. She will print them and have them in hand when she visits the three TN reps tomorrow. No way to know how many people are following through, but I have noticed how many callers on the Bill Press, Stephanie, Ed and Thom shows are saying “We HAVE to remain viligant….we must remain active and keep the pressure on and we must not let 2010 happen again!!!”

• 93 Judith Fardig
      December 3, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Excellent, Linda! My Portland OFA group had a rally with three small business owners as featured speakers on ending the Bush tax cuts on the top 2%, but the media did not make it on time. We will get our message out via social media. Thanks for your leadership!

• 94 sherijr
      December 3, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Linda, my mother & sister will be moving to Santa Rosa soon- I will pass this video on to them :)

27. 95 xtine
    December 3, 2012 at 11:22 am

“No, it’s not merely Jefferson’s appalling personal behavior that is so deeply disturbing. It’s the way he proselytized in favor of racism in its most horrific form as ideology and national policy. Robin quotes at length from two of the more repellent passages from Query XIV in his Notes on the State of Virginia. In it, Jefferson writes that, due their moral, intellectual, and physical inferiority, the slaves, if freed, could never live in the same society as whites. According to Jefferson, there were but two “solutions” to this “problem”: deportation or elimination. Robin writes:

“If blacks were set free, Jefferson warned, it would “produce convulsions which will probably never end but in the extermination of one race or the other.” The only alternative was an “effort…unknown to history. When freed, he [the slave] is to be removed beyond the mixture.”

“Robin rightly links these sentiments to Nazi ideology about how to deal with “the Jewish question.” The parallels are real, and they are chilling. No wonder why Jefferson is a hero to many of the extremist racists on the American right like Pat Buchanan and the Tea Party types. Yes, the man also accomplished great things, but nothing could atone for the noxious of stench of the deadly, quasi-fascist ideology that permeates his writings on race.”

• 96 CindyH
      December 3, 2012 at 11:39 am

When I toured Monticello, the guide said that Jefferson did not have a sense of humor. That sent up red flags to me, so I’m not surprised to learn of his noxious ideology.

28. 97 whatisworking
    December 3, 2012 at 11:29 am

CALL TO ACTION

Let’s not forget those pesky Senators who are “not sure” if they want to vote for Fillibuster reform.

If your Senators are “uncomfortable” with Fillibuster changes, let’s help them get comfortable

Dianne Feinstein,
    Mark Pryor
    Carl Levin
    Max Baucus
    Jack Reed
    John Kerry
    Jay Rockefeller
    Joe Donnelly

CALL THEM today and every week day until they change their minds

Contact information can be found at

Please note – the Washington phone # is listed on this page, but if you click on the link of their name on the left, you will be taken to their website where you can also find the phone #s for their state offices. Finally most of them have a link to contact them and that allows you to send an email about the subject. I may also have their titter tag on the page (it is hit and miss).

Let us know when you have made a call, sent an email, posted to their Facebook wall, or sent them a tweet. Your actions inspire us all. Doing something will make you feel powerful all day.

• 98 Judith Fardig
      December 3, 2012 at 12:41 pm

The contact information for Oregon needs to be updated to show Suzanne Bonamici instead of David Wu. She replaced him last January. phone 202-225-0855 FAX 202-225-9497 Twitter @RepBonamici

29. 100 dudette9t9
    December 3, 2012 at 11:57 am

30. 104 cluny
    December 3, 2012 at 12:05 pm

TWITTER ACTION NEEDED

The GOP is activating its media players to push the line that PBO is being ‘provocative’ , poisonous, insulting, ham fisted, too tough etc in his initial offer to Boehner. McConnell via Geithner. Main offenders noted thus far : David Gergen, Joe Scar. Can all the twitter warriors please pushback. It might be good to link to Joe Klein’s piece complaining about all the faux GOP outrage – tweet it to Gergen etc and cc other journalists into it e.g Frank Rich, Richard Wolfe, David Remnick etc to shame, Gergen Scar and all other GOP hacks. Don’t lets let the GOP get the jump on the narrative like they did after the last election with the stimulus.

• 105 cluny
      December 3, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Klein piece

there may be better pieces than the Klein but it was the first one that came to mind.

• 106 cluny
        December 3, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Better still – Jed Lewison today at dkos (a piece from his post plus link):

Actually, when it comes to taxes, Republicans haven’t put a serious offer on the table. They say they agree with President Obama’s position that we should continue middle-class tax cuts, but they refuse to do so unless we also continue Bush’s tax cuts for the wealthy. They claim that they are open to new revenue, but refuse to be specific about how they would achieve the new revenue, and say they would only consider it after extending Bush’s tax cuts for the wealthy.
        The pattern is impossible to miss: the centerpiece of the GOP position on taxes is that the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy must continue, everything else be damned.

Their position isn’t any better on spending, where they are demanding an increase in defense spending and nonspecific cuts to Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid, but spending and taxes don’t need to be resolved simultaneously. Given that the impact of the expiration of middle-class tax cuts will impact the economy before automatic spending cuts, it’s easy to see why President Obama’s top priority is dealing with taxes and extending those middle-class cuts.

Republicans say they also want to extend those middle-class tax cuts, but they have a weird way of showing it. Unlike the president, they are refusing to take action without simultaneously enacting tax cuts that would only go to the wealthy. But even though they are the ones making ransom demands, Republicans are accusing the White House of overplaying its hand:

Republican strategists argue that in resorting to campaign-style events to take his fiscal message to voters, Mr. Obama is overplaying his hand, much as President George W. Bush did after his re-election when he barnstormed the country in favor of a Social Security restructuring plan that he never successfully sold to leaders on Capitol Hill.
        “He is overreading his mandate,” said John Feehery, a former adviser to top House Republicans. “By doing the campaign thing, he is making the same mistake Bush made in 2005.” Eventually, he said, Democratic and Republican leaders “are going to cut the deal, and Obama is going to be on the outside looking in.”

Of all the clueless things uttered about fiscal cliff politics, that has to rank near the top. It’s hard to believe that anyone could seriously believe President Obama is taking a huge political risk by pushing for an extension of middle-class tax cuts as the first step of avoiding the cliff, but then again, these are the same guys who thought Mitt Romney was on the cusp of victory when they woke up on the morning of November 6.

Let’s make sure these GOP hacks are publicly ridiculed and shamed – the only thing that tempers their stupidity – their narcissism which takes a beating when publicly humiliated. SOS to all TOD twitter warriors.

• December 3, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I won’t tweet directly to either Gergen or MorningJoe given past issues with Twitter …

31. December 3, 2012 at 12:05 pm

32. December 3, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Jay Carney’s press briefing starts at 12:30 ET

33. 113 dudette9t9
    December 3, 2012 at 12:22 pm

34. 114 dudette9t9
    December 3, 2012 at 12:23 pm

35. December 3, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Check this, Chips, everyone …

#FlipThe113th

#FORWARD

36. December 3, 2012 at 12:30 pm

BTW, that new PBO video has > 32K views in barely 24h :)

37. December 3, 2012 at 12:31 pm

The folks who ran the Romney campaign learned nothing. Below is answer from Stevens during a Q&A with members of both campaigns

And Also;

38. 120 dudette9t9
    December 3, 2012 at 12:35 pm

CBS News blatant conflict of interest!

39. 122 xtine
    December 3, 2012 at 12:35 pm

[Finger in your face! :) ]:

Although she was introduced as a political rock star Saturday, Gov. Jan Brewer wasn’t a very big draw.

“The Western Governors’ Association held its annual winter meeting in Paradise Valley. But of the 19 governors in the group, only two showed up to see Brewer deliver a brief keynote speech. [...]

“Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper (D) and Utah Gov. Gary Herbert (R) were the two governors who attended the meeting. They are the current vice chairman and chairman of the organization.”

Brewer spoke for a grand total of three minutes before leaving the stage.

40. 125 dudette9t9
    December 3, 2012 at 12:37 pm

41. 126 xtine
    December 3, 2012 at 12:42 pm

White House willing to go over fiscal cliff if absolutely necessary

David Corn has a piece up this morning arguing that John Boehner is hampered in the fiscal cliff talks by his right flank — the House Tea Partyers who oppose compromise with the White House at any cost, just as they did during the 2011 showdowns. The difference this time is that the White House has far more leverage over Boehner than last time — putting him in a particularly difficult spot.

This nugget, buried in Corn’s piece, is a key piece of reporting:

“This basic dynamic — Boehner cannot haggle freely with the president due to the intense opposition to a deal within his own ranks — has not fundamentally changed. What has changed is the president’s hand. According to senior administration officials, Obama is not eager to go over the cliff, but he is willing. If no deal is reached by the end of the month, all the Bush tax cuts — for the rich and not-rich — will evaporate. Obama would then demand in early January that the new Congress immediately pass legislation to reinstate the lower tax rates for the bottom 98 percent.”

I have just confirmed that this is accurate — Obama is willing, albeit very reluctant, to go over the cliff.

December 3, 2012 at 12:42 pm

It’s supposed to be #My2K not @My2K because @My2K is someone’s twitter handle.

43. 128 Rita
    December 3, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Watch The Khan Academy explain what the fiscal cliff means. Find that and more civics topics at the link. This is awesome!

December 3, 2012 at 12:46 pm

45. 130 xtine
    December 3, 2012 at 12:46 pm

The Morning Plum: No more false equivalence. Both sides are not equally to blame.

[....] As always, there simply isn’t any equivalence here. Even if you think the Democratic offer is too light on spending cuts, the basic fact remains that Dems have made a substantial proposal, while Republicans haven’t. Dems have meaningfully detailed what they want, and Republicans haven’t. Republicans keep telling us that Obama must show “leadership” by detailing the spending cuts the White House is willing to accept, and that the Dem proposals are not “serious” because they have yet to do this. But how are we supposed to know what will count as “serious” spending cuts, if Republicans won’t detail what they want? It’s doubly curious that Republicans refuse to do this, given that they keep saying the 2012 election gave them a mandate for cutting spending.

Look, this is just a sucker’s game. What Republicans really mean when they demand that Obama “lead” is that they want him to propose bigger concessions up front so Republicans can denounce them as insufficient — which they would do no matter what he proposed — pulling the debate further and further in their direction. [....]

December 3, 2012 at 12:48 pm

47. 135 xtine
    December 3, 2012 at 12:53 pm

WEST POINT, N.Y. (AP) — Cadet Chapel, the landmark gothic church that is a center for spiritual life at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, was hosting its first same-sex wedding Saturday.

Penelope Gnesin and Brenda Sue Fulton, a West Point graduate, were exchanging vows in the regal church in an afternoon ceremony attended by around 250 guests and conducted by a senior Army chaplain.

The two have been together for 17 years. They had a civil commitment ceremony that didn’t carry any legal force in 1999 but had longed hoped to formally tie the knot. The way was cleared last year, when New York legalized same-sex marriage and President Barack Obama lifted the “Don’t ask, don’t tell,” policy prohibiting openly gay people from serving in the military.

48. 136 dotster3
    December 3, 2012 at 12:59 pm

President Obama is hosting a xmas party for Congress tonight—-fa la la—–should be “fun”!

49. 138 squarepeg
    December 3, 2012 at 1:03 pm

50. December 3, 2012 at 1:04 pm

So wonderful to see Tracy Chapman! Took me back to my adolescence :-). Now I can’t get the ‘Fast Car’ lyrics out of my head :-)

51. 140 xtine
    December 3, 2012 at 1:20 pm

[Deaniac! He has a couple of "Bwahahahahahaha" in there too! :) ]:

[....] I have never been one to be surprised by the Obama team’s strategic brilliance, but I also have never ceased marveling at its prowess. Let’s consider the timeline since the negotiations began and since in his first press conference after the re-election, President Obama lays out his plan, and calls on Congress to pass an extension of the middle class tax breaks immediately.

— Tim Geithner goes to the Hill and offers an opening bid that is sensible, progressive, forward-looking and the exact same plan the president ran and won re-election on. Then on Sunday, just for fun, he goes around the Sunday shows asking “What’s your plan?” to Republicans.

— President Obama takes the fight to the American people, back on the campaign trail, asking Americans to get involved.

— Nancy Pelosi gives House Republicans a deadline (Tuesday) to bring the middle class tax cuts to a vote, and readies a discharge petition if they won’t.

You do not have to be a genius to connect these dots. The president and Democrats are playing for keeps. The President knows the opening here: going over the fiscal cliff for a small amount of time will not only increase his political advantage, should Republicans choose that path, it will also increase his policy leverage. I guarantee you that the Republicans are far more afraid of the president’s substantive policy advantage than they are his political leverage. [...]

If Republicans know what’s good for them, they will schedule a vote on the middle class tax breaks before Pelosi has a chance to whip up that discharge petition. There is zero possibility they get out of this with no damage, but they can limit the damage by cooperating now. They’re screwed either way; they just have to decide how badly they want to be screwed.

52. December 3, 2012 at 1:34 pm

53. 143 carolmaewy
    December 3, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Thanks to everyone who welcomed me after my first post. I tried to reply thank you to each of you, but I can’t find my first post to see if the reply part worked. I’ll learn to get around soon. Thanks again. Looking forward to see snapshots or video of the party at White House tonight with Congress. ;)