Dec

Rise and Shine

Today:

10:10: The President and Vice President meet with governors at the White House

1:0: Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney

The President will participate on Tuesday in his first television interview since the election. Bloomberg’s White House correspondent Julianna Goldman will do the questioning. According to a preview, they will discuss the fiscal cliff and his priorities and agenda for his second term. The interview will air at 12:30 p.m. EST on Bloomberg TV. (See here)

Paul Krugman: It goes without saying that the Republican “counteroffer” is basically fake. It calls for $800 billion in revenue from closing loopholes, but doesn’t specify a single loophole to be closed; it calls for huge spending cuts, but aside from raising the Medicare age and cutting the Social Security inflation adjustment – moves worth only around $300 billion – it doesn’t specify how these cuts are to be achieved. So it’s basically the Paul Ryan method: scribble down some numbers and pretend that you’re a budget wonk with a Serious plan.

….. for all the seniors or near-seniors who voted Republican because you thought they would protect Medicare from that bad guy Obama: you’ve been had.

Full post here

NYT Editorial: ….. under pressure from the White House, Republicans finally released their opening position in the negotiations – a remarkably shallow one that demonstrated a lack of seriousness in negotiations, or farsightedness in policy.

…. The only way to produce the necessary revenue is to combine some limits on deductions with an end to the Bush tax cuts on the rich, and Mr. Obama, fortunately, has been adamant he will not consider any plan that does not do so. The Boehner letter, by contrast, actually advocates lowering rates, suggesting that Republicans are still clinging to the notion, rejected by voters, that was put forward by Mitt Romney.

….. Monday’s offer may simply be intended to show the most conservative Republicans that their leaders fought before the compromises to come. For everyone else, they show a party unwilling to approach the bargaining with responsibility.

Full article here

Eugene Robinson: How dare he? President Obama, I mean: How dare he do what he promised during the campaign? How dare he insist on a “balanced approach” to fiscal policy that includes a teensy-weensy tax increase for the rich? Oh, the humanity.

…. “Right now, I would say we’re nowhere, period,” said Boehner. “We’re nowhere.”

Not true. It’s just that we’re somewhere Republicans would prefer not to be. We’re just past an election in which Obama won a second term and Democrats gained seats in both houses of Congress. And we’re nearing a “fiscal cliff” of tax increases and budget cuts that horrify Republicans more than Democrats.

… There is no guarantee that Obama will get everything he wants out of this showdown. But I’d rather be playing the president’s hand than Boehner’s.

Full article here

From yesterday:

This is great – thanks UT!

Moooooorning everyone.

147 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

December 4, 2012 at 9:13 am

Hello

December 4, 2012 at 9:15 am

You want a smile on your face today? Watch this.

December 4, 2012 at 9:17 am

Fiiiinally….

4. December 4, 2012 at 9:24 am

Good morning, TODville!!

My, my, my……..

December 4, 2012 at 9:26 am

You gotta love Pres. Obama. First post-election on camera interview he gives? Bloomberg TV. Read this article and watch Politico go batcrap crazy. I bet CNBC is also losing their minds. They are so anti-Obama it’s comical.

Have fun because it’s hilarious. :lol:

December 4, 2012 at 9:29 am

So the old angry dood’s poutrage fest with Susan Rice is over ? Fucking msm and its bright shiny objects.

December 4, 2012 at 9:35 am

Not sure about that, because another Republican nameless-faceless crackpot elected official was just on Chuck Toad’s show saying Susan Rice was “well educated” and doing a good job as ambassador, but … Bengazi … something, something … mute.

7. December 4, 2012 at 9:30 am

Good morning Chips and TOD family, I hope everyone is doing will as well as have a super fantastic day today.

• December 4, 2012 at 9:31 am

Morning RanMan, you have a great day too!

December 4, 2012 at 9:38 am

Same right back atcha, RanMan. I’m done with my cranky comments about Republicans this morning, and – as a friend’s quotable quote advised – I’m going to “tell the negative committee in my mind to sit down and shut up.” Fifty shades of STFU, as it were.

Gonna be a glorious Obama day!

December 4, 2012 at 9:45 am

Damn. It’s not fun to be John Boehner. His own is turning on him. :lol:

December 4, 2012 at 9:49 am

Wall Street fat cats are screwed. They tried to block her getting on the committee.

10. December 4, 2012 at 9:51 am

And while I agree with aide for Dmsandy relef efforts, the States effected, NY and NJ should do everything they can do rather than just ask the federal government for 80 billion.
    The Republicabs in the US Cibgress have made it so we have no money for anything, so that 80 billion of Aide is going nowhere.
    Just saying!

December 4, 2012 at 9:55 am

You really really don’t want to be John Boehner today. GOP cannibalism.

December 4, 2012 at 10:04 am

Two blondes were in a bar watching the television when the news came on. It showed a guy on a bridge that was about to jump, obviously suicidal. “I’ll bet you $10 he’ll jump,” said Betty.

“Bet you $10 he won’t,” replied Amber. Then, the guy on the television closed his eyes and threw himself off the bridge. The second blonde hands the first her money.

“I can’t take your money,” said Betty. “I cheated you. The same story was on the five o’clock news.”

“No, no. Take it,” said Amber. “I saw the five o’clock news too. I just didn’t think the guy was dumb enough to jump again!”

13. December 4, 2012 at 10:04 am

Wash watching the Hardball link above on YouTube and noticed that Bo Inspecting WH decorations is approaching 1.5 million views. I have to say I love it!

In case anyone missed it, it’s here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lce5gWKgMXI

14. 71 dotster3
    December 4, 2012 at 10:06 am

TOD peeps posting state reactions to Obama’s re-election moment have me re-crying tears of joy. So many people cared so much. And an observation—- I am noting many Asians in the crowds, who not only voted for Obama in big numbers but obviously worked hard for his re-election too. Sweet, sweet moments.

December 4, 2012 at 10:06 am

On little Larry’s first day of first grade, he raised his hand as soon as the teacher came into the room and said, “I don’t belong here, I should be in third grade!”

The teacher looked at little Larry’s records and told him to please take his seat.

Not five minutes passed when little Larry stood up again and said, “I don’t belong here, I should be in the third grade!”

Larry did this a few more times before the principal came along and the teacher explained Larry’s problem. The principal and the first grade teacher told little Larry that if he could answer some questions that they could decide in which grade he belonged. Well, they soon discovered that Larry knew all the state capitals and country capitals that the principal could think of.

The teacher suggested they try some biology questions … “What does a cow have 4 of but a woman has only 2?” asked the teacher.

“Legs!” Larry immediately replied. “What does a man have in his pants that a woman doesn’t?” asked the teacher.

“Pockets!” said Larry.

The teacher looked at the principal, who said, “Maybe he should be in third grade, I missed those last two questions!”

16. December 4, 2012 at 10:11 am

Hey there all you O’s!!!! What another great getting up day on TOD Avenue, wouldn’t you say? I’m still decking the halls and awaiting delivery of Cyber Monday packages and the plumber. Oh the joys of the holiday season.

• December 4, 2012 at 10:17 am

“I’m still decking the halls and awaiting delivery of Cyber Monday packages and the plumber.”

Cookemom, that’s a very varied day you’re having!!!

December 4, 2012 at 10:12 am

A teacher asks her students if they’re Yankees fans. All of the hands go up except for one student. “Okay, Bobby. What team are you a fan of?”

“The Red Sox.”

“Why’s that?” “Well, my parents are both Red Sox fans, so I’m a Red Sox fan too.”

“That’s not a good answer, Bobby. If your parents were both morons, would you be a moron too?”

“No, that would make me a Yankees fan!”

Gunnite folks.

18. December 4, 2012 at 10:12 am

I just finished watching the 2-part interview with Michael Lewis. Very interesting. Weird but I found myself a little choked up at the part where he talks about how the Secret Service love him. He is truly such a good man.

19. December 4, 2012 at 10:15 am
    • 87 Bill
      December 4, 2012 at 10:43 am

Senator Johnson is in the same IQ range as Michele Bachmann.

• December 4, 2012 at 10:43 am

No they didn’t. Nobody got schooled in that clip. The RW guy spewed his talking points and some bozo on the panel said something about them losing the election. Argument TV at its worst.

• December 4, 2012 at 10:49 am

Yeah, not the most accurate of video titles – hats off to Shrum, though, for: “You lost the eletcion, buddy.”

December 4, 2012 at 11:06 am

Understand your frustration, but Bob Shrum isn’t a bozo. He’s a solid Democrat, not afraid to speak out – loud and often – and that Senator was hit back. It was a tiny moment, but a good one.

• 91 0388jojothecat
          December 4, 2012 at 11:37 am

That GOP talking head was blathering without taking a breathe…..when you talk over someone like that no one hears anything……that last shot “you lost the election, buddy” erased anything that blowhard said in my opinion.

20. December 4, 2012 at 10:23 am

Anyone else notice that today’s Rise and Shine is #365? That makes tomorrow’s Rise and Shine the birthday edition, yes?

21. 99 Japa21
    December 4, 2012 at 10:29 am

Over at BJ, they have a running commentary on the number 27 as in how 27% keeps showing up when polls are done as the number of the craziest people in the US.

Well, that number as struck again. WaPo has a new poll asking who would be to blame if no deal is reached on the “fiscal cliff”.

GOP = 53%
    PBO = 27%.

It is uncanny how often that number is the percent of people who are totally unable to see reality.

• December 4, 2012 at 10:33 am

Really Japa, I didn’t know about the 27% phenomenon?! Part of me is surprised/relieved there aren’t more crazies, to be honest.

• December 4, 2012 at 11:29 am

Japa, that 27% has been showing up since 2004 and I have always stated that there are a minimum of 24% of the most ignorant, nastiest, racist, lying republican hypocrites that resides in the South.

So in 2011, using the 2010 census and using adult white population from the 13 southern states (I did not include Florida as a traditional south state, but I did add Oklahoma as a southern state) and using a conservative 80% multiplier of the total then divided that by the US census population, I derived at 23.9% (24%) of the most ignorant, nastiest, racist, lying republican hypocrites that resides in the South.

Remember, that 24% only reflects the southern states and not those same folks in the OH/PA valleys and Kansas, Indiana and upper NY. The baseline number could range between 27%-33%. Just my two-cents.

22. December 4, 2012 at 10:33 am

Just in – Boner going on all networks for a media blitz. It’s being dubbed to counter the President.
    Counter the President? Notice, Boner goes to his Media allies, and the President goes to the People?

23. December 4, 2012 at 10:40 am

The Senate meets at 10 a.m., and at noon will vote on ratification of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons With Disabilities.

Most of the debate on that treaty happened last week, after 36 Republicans voted against considering the treaty in the lame-duck session. If those same 36 Republicans vote against the treaty today, the Senate will not be able to advance it by a two-thirds majority vote.

Congress is outdated. Maybe a Parliamentary system is better?

24. December 4, 2012 at 10:45 am

By Julie Appleby, KHN Staff Writer

Dec 03, 2012

As the health care overhaul moves ahead, the nation’s health insurers are scrambling to reinvent themselves, hoping to boost their image and entice millions of Americans to enroll, some for the first time.

The new customers will mostly shop for and buy their own insurance – a different and harder-to-reach group than the industry’s traditional employer clients. So insurers are seeking novel ways to reach them – online, in shopping centers, even when they’re preparing their taxes.

Blue Shield of California has opened a center inside Lucky Supermarket in San Francisco, offering wellness visits and consultations with a company “ambassador,” who can answer questions and sign up people for coverage while they buy fruits and vegetables. Blues plans in Florida, Pennsylvania and three other states have also opened store-front sales centers.

Customers going to H&R Block this tax season will be asked if they want to learn about health insurance options, part of a partnership with Blue Cross Blue Shield expected to expand to as many as 40 states by next spring.

And some patients will find their urgent care centers and doctors’ practices are now owned by insurers whose names may be emblazoned above the door.

All this is happening in anticipation that an estimated 9 million people will buy their own insurance in 2014 – about 50 percent more than do so now. That’s when the law goes into full effect and virtually all Americans will be required to have health insurance. Those not covered through their jobs will be able to buy policies online, through so-called exchanges that will be run by the states or the federal government.

25. December 4, 2012 at 10:58 am

Dunford confirmed to replace Allen as Afghan commander

By Jeremy Herb
    Gen. Joseph Dunford was confirmed by the Senate Monday evening to replace Gen. John Allen as the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan.

It’s still unclear, however, when Dunford will succeed Allen in Kabul.

Allen was nominated at the same time at Dunford to become NATO Supreme Allied Commander, Europe, and the pair were supposed to change jobs next year. But Allen’s nomination was placed on hold after he was ensnared in the scandal that brought down former CIA Director David Petraeus.

Allen is under investigation by the Defense Department Inspector General for “potentially inappropriate” e-mails with Jill Kelley, the woman who prompted the FBI investigation that uncovered Petraeus’s extramarital affair.

26. 113 57andfemale
    December 4, 2012 at 11:08 am
  27. December 4, 2012 at 11:09 am

Great pot pourri of morning info and fun. Thanks Chips. Started my day with a smile.

28. 115 lamh36
    December 4, 2012 at 11:12 am

Morning guys. My mom is currently in the ER in NOLA with chest pains and breathing issues. So I’m having some deep thoughts early this Tuesday morning.

You always know that as your parents get older, you’ll have to do much more to take care of them as their health begins to fade. If you are a good child, then you expect it and you just do whatcha got to do. But what if your parent is fairly young and in bad health (my mother is only 53…yeah she was one of those “teen moms” thanks to my birth..so what :-) It’s harder to wrap your mind around taking care of someone who’s not “old” and yet, their health is not optimal. You do whatcha gotta do, but it just seems harder to me right now.

Anyway, Prayers for good health and hearts for your parents and mine.

Hope everyone has a good day.

• 116 sherijr
      December 4, 2012 at 11:17 am

Best wishes to your mom’s recovery- & to you lamh.. my heart goes out to you both. Take care

• 117 Japa21
      December 4, 2012 at 11:18 am

Lots of prayers for you and your mom. I know what you are talking about. My M-I-L moved in with us when she was 55. Over the next several years she had several heart attacks and other major health problems. She made it to 91, though, so good things can still happen.

• December 4, 2012 at 11:22 am

(((((((((((((((((((((( Lots of love, fervent prayers for your mother, lamh.)))))))))))))))))))))))) I will keep the candles lit and know you are in my prayers as well.HZ

• December 4, 2012 at 11:38 am

Your mother is very young! I know we’ll all keep her in our thoughts for continued strength and care, lamh.

• December 4, 2012 at 11:43 am

Thinking of you and your mother Lamh, wishing her only the best.

• 121 Dakota
      December 4, 2012 at 11:46 am

My prayers go out to your mom and your family lamh. Blessings.

• 122 0388jojothecat
      December 4, 2012 at 11:49 am

Prayers to you and your Mom that she will be fine and won’t have to be hospitalized. Even in good health as the kids and parents grow older, we will reverse roles of becoming more of a caretaker of our parents one day where they rely on us for advice and support. I am sure she is glad you are there with her to keep her calm and re-assured.

• December 4, 2012 at 11:51 am

Iamh36, I pray that your mom has a speedy recovery and for plenty of strength for you.

• 124 lamh36
      December 4, 2012 at 11:55 am

At the very least, my mom’s visit to ER today, makes me less anxious about turning in my resignation to my current employer. I really hate doing it. but this bucks me up to just get ‘er done. I’m always paranoid that something could go wrong, but even if God forbid something happens before I start this new job (I went ahead and told the people I would start Jan 15th, no point in waiting later, since I spend half my time in NOLA anyway), I still spend 1/2 my time in NOLA, so even if I made the plans to actually move and somehow lose the new job or something, it’s still easier to be in the city than out of it, especially with my mom’s health issues.

• 125 0388jojothecat
        December 4, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Good Luck lamh36. I was just telling a friend how lucky I feel to have got my Mom into a senior housing complex close to my condo. I put her name on waiting lists all over los angeles not believing I could get her in so soon close to my house after six years of trying. I know that you won’t regret you move to be near your Mom.

• 126 miss pat
          December 4, 2012 at 1:04 pm

God will bless you both for taking take of your mothers. It took me three years to get into this complex so I know how it is hard to find housinsg for seniors. My daughter and I are close too and she lives a few blocks away from me. I hope your mother is doing better now and will not have to be admitted.

• December 4, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Iamh36, I just moved back to MO in September from Chicago after 24 years, to help my mother as she battles with cancer. I have no regrets. However, since I started working for myself in 2009, the decision wasn’t that hard for me. Trust God, and do what will bring you peace.

• 128 susanne
        December 4, 2012 at 2:38 pm

so much on your plate right now, lamh. we’re sending you hugs and virtual plates of cookies with virtual tall glasses of cold milk. take care of yourself, and look to a new year ahead, with mom in excellent hands, and you in an exciting new job. it will come.

• 129 57andfemale
      December 4, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Healing and positive energy sent your way {{{{{lamh36}}}}}.

• 130 jackiegrumbacher
      December 4, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Oh, Lamh, I’m so sorry. Have been there this last week with my sister. It’s a scary time and my heart and my prayers are with you.

• 131 dudette9t9
      December 4, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Sending positive energy, prayers and virtual hugs for you and your mom, lamh35.

• 132 Puddin'
      December 4, 2012 at 4:13 pm

lamh36 I feel you…my Papa and I took care of my Mama for almost 10 years after she had a massive stroke (from blood clots/medication after two major surgeries)…she was only 57. lamh36, as my Mama used to say, “hold on ld soldier”…GOD will be your help. Love and good health to your and your MOM!

29. 133 lamh36
    December 4, 2012 at 11:38 am

They don’t call him the “Nerd in Chief” for nothing. Of course Obama is a Star Trek fan. Who isnt???

30. 135 Don
    December 4, 2012 at 11:39 am

HuffPuff is reporting that Senator Warren was selected to sit on the Banking Committee. That sound you hear is the assholes’ of wall street and the Republicans puckering up. I’m still upset with President Obama for not making her the director of the consumer protection agency. What as that? she’s now a Senator with major powers which she will use to put her foot up wall street’s ass, oh ok, never mind.

• 136 0388jojothecat
      December 4, 2012 at 11:57 am

:) :) : ) ……. like where you were heading Don.

• 137 4morefor44
      December 4, 2012 at 12:03 pm

what’s also funny about the progressive poutragers and their forcible claiming of elizabeth warren is that 99% of them never heard of elizabeth warren before president obama chose to bring her to the national stage, yet have never stopped beating him up about some perceived slight they made up. i really want nothing to do with those online progressives and don’t think we should spend any energy trying to win them over. they’ll never be happy with the dark-sinned guy so we should always encourage them to form their 3rd party already.

31. December 4, 2012 at 11:39 am
  32. 142 Dakota
    December 4, 2012 at 11:53 am

Why am I so giddy this morning? Is it because Elizabeth Warren won a seat on the banking committee? Or because Boehner is getting his ass handed to him by the President? Or because the repugs have caved and are devouring each other? Hmmm….all of the above! Thanks TOD family for making my day!

• 143 Don
      December 4, 2012 at 11:58 am

Don’t you just love the fact that she is a Power-Player that speaks for the working person. The Funny part is the Professional Left ripped President Obama for not naming her to the Consumer Protecting Agency. Maybe President Obama had bigger plans for her.

33. 144 Don
    December 4, 2012 at 12:04 pm

And when President Obama starts naming his new cabinet, the Republicans are really going to explode. They have too many flanks to protect, they are being bombarded by President Obama, and on top of everything else there’s infighting.

34. 145 Don
    December 4, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Just think about this for a moment, Dr. Susan Rice, Elizabeth Warren, and Debbie Wasserman-Schultz. President Obama knows how to pick’em.