Dec

Rise and Shine …. with some very gorgeous White House photos

…. at the West Side Market in Cleveland, Ohio, Oct. 5 (Pete Souza)

….. with will.i.am following an event The Ohio State University, Oct. 9 (Pete Souza)

….. greeting Annie Glenn, wife of former Senator John Glenn, following an event at The Ohio State University, Oct. 9 (Pete Souza)

…. driving former Press Secretary Robert Gibbs’ Chevy Volt around the South Law on Drive of the White House, Oct. 12 (Pete Souza)

….. commenting on Katy Perry’s shoes while greeting the singer and her grandmother, Ann Hudson, at Doolittle Park in Las Vegas, Oct. 24 (Pete Souza)

Michelle Obama tapes a skit with Jimmy Kimmel prior to their interview for “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” at the El Capitan Theatre in Los Angeles, Oct. 25 (Chuck Kennedy)

…. adjusting Sway Calloway’s hat following an interview for a Live MTV special, in the Blue Room of the White House, Oct. 26 (Pete Souza)

…… with Deputy Chief of Staff for Policy Nancy-Ann DeParle and Traveling Aide Bobby Schmuck prior to an event at the Elm Street Middle School in Nashua, N.H., Oct. 27 (Pete Souza)

Denver International Airport, Nov. 1 (Pete Souza)

Des Moines International Airport, Nov. 5 (Pete Souza)

…. talking on the phone with Mitt Romney in the Presidential Suite at the Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park, Nov. 6 (Pete Souza)

…. hugging his campaign manager, Jim Messina, during an unannounced stop at campaign headquarters in Chicago, Nov. 7 (Pete Souza)

Staten Island, N.Y., Nov. 15 (Pete Souza)

….. greeting the children of U.S. embassy staff during a reception at the Chulalongkorn University Sports Center in Bangkok, Thailand, Nov. 18 (Pete Souza)

….. with Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, greeting young performers during a dinner at the Government House in Bangkok, Thailand, Nov. 18 (Pete Souza)

Shwedagon Pagoda in Rangoon, Burma, Nov. 19 (Pete Souza)

President Obama talks with Vice President Biden in the hallway outside of the Oval Office following a meeting, Nov. 26 (Pete Souza)

Lots more new photos here

Did you see the last bit?

MoooOOoooooOOOOrning everyone – will catch up with the news in the next post.

308 Responses to “Rise and Shine …. with some very gorgeous White House photos”

December 7, 2012 at 9:00 am

Morning!

2. 3 Diane
    December 7, 2012 at 9:00 am

Good Morning!

3. 5 Diane
    December 7, 2012 at 9:01 am

Congrats DF!

4. 6 PhillyinJA
    December 7, 2012 at 9:04 am

Awww….My heart swells with love and pride at these pictures.

5. 7 proudmemberofglobalzero
    December 7, 2012 at 9:04 am

Good morning all. Congrats DF! Chips you are the BEST!!!! Read this blog everyday. Hard to keep up with the new posts but, this is where I get my news!

6. 8 Don
    December 7, 2012 at 9:06 am

Chips, you’ve outdone yourself, these pictures are amazing. Even behind the wheel of a car President Obama looks fly.

• December 7, 2012 at 9:10 am

Morning Don, morning everyone! Don, it’s official: Pete Souza and Chuck Kennedy are geniuses!

• 10 utaustinliberal
        December 7, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Thank you for posting the pictures Chips. They were a delight. Pete Souza and Chuck Kennedy are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

December 7, 2012 at 9:13 am

Who’s doing to teach Malia to drive? You think the Secret Service will allow him too.

December 7, 2012 at 9:16 am

Who’s going to teach Malia to drive in about two more years? That is what I meant to say?

• 18 Bill
        December 7, 2012 at 9:18 am

That is a great question. Would the Secret Service allow Malia to drive?

December 7, 2012 at 9:25 am

Bill, I didn’t even think about that.

December 7, 2012 at 9:51 am

Malia probably won’t be allow to drive. So I guess that answer my first question.

• 21 Chi
              December 7, 2012 at 10:01 am

Annie, I saw an interview Mrs Obama did recently with her brother Craig and he said he would teach Malia to drive since mum and dad won’t be able to for security reasons…

I think that’s lovely that she’s able to have her uncle step in to o this…

December 7, 2012 at 11:38 am

That is lovely. Otherwise, Malia will be driving up and down the White House driveway or on the roads in and around Camp David!

• 23 Obama Grandmama
                December 7, 2012 at 12:53 pm

I wonder if Malia will come visit her Uncle here in Oregon and be out and about on the highways learning to drive while here? I might bump (hee hee) into them. I can dream.

• December 7, 2012 at 10:30 am

I think it’s best that teenagers drive as late as possible if they can. I took drivers ed at 16yrs old but did not start to drive until I was over 18yrs old and I feel it made me a more responsible driver. By the time Malia leaves the WH and enters college she’ll be able to learn to drive by either parent unless she wants to start early. My friends kids had no interest in driving until they were older and leaving the nest.

• 25 veryslowwriter
            December 7, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I grew up in Southern California where everybody gets a drivers license as soon as they can. I was licensed at 16. Looking back now, I was way too young and stupid to be behind the wheel. Fortunately, I suvived and didn’t kill anyone.

7. 26 pugeretto
    December 7, 2012 at 9:07 am

Well,, congrats on first DF & happy Friday. Just got a strange message from WordPress when I tried to comment: “You are trying to comment too fast, slow down.” That was on my phone – hilarious. Anyway, great pictures Chips. Hope we get some real snow this month.

8. 27 Japa21
    December 7, 2012 at 9:08 am

GM all. It is a great day in TODville and all around the world. The jobless numbers are not just good, they are unreal, when you take into account Sandy. The numbers might have been close to a gain of 200,000 otherwise.

Still a ways to go and not cause for doing any victory laps, and I don’t expect PBO to do so. However, I think it gives PBO and the Dems even more leverage.

Congrats DF on first.

• December 7, 2012 at 9:14 am

Amazing jobs numbers Japa, I just assumed with Sandy they’d be poor. Agreed, no champagne just yet – but so encouraging!

December 7, 2012 at 9:18 am

What are the jobs numbers? I heard they might be bad, so I didn’t want to hear all the crap from the media or Republicans. So I just stayed away from the tv and computer. Till now.

• 30 Japa21
          December 7, 2012 at 9:20 am

146,000 new private sector jobs and unemployment rate down to 7.7%

December 7, 2012 at 9:38 am

Great news Japa21. Not there yet, but despite the Republicans we are heading in the right direction. For 4 years it has only been President Obama and Dems who were trying to prevent this ship from sinking, it would have been so much better if the Republicans had tried to help, but instead all they did was tried to sink the ship. But Thank God they haven’t been able to sink it. The ship is straighten up, on the right track and moving in the right direction. Moving FORWARD. And November 6th we gave the Captain four more years.

December 7, 2012 at 9:14 am

In my haste to get my mojo back, and put my foot in the door:)…I forgot to say thanks for these amazing pics this morning, Chips! Beautiful! Thank you, thank you. I can now have a perfect day. Happy to be back here….was missing this place, HARD!

10. December 7, 2012 at 9:20 am

Unemployment DOWN to 7.7%!!!! PBO’s approval up to 57%. It is a great day folks!!!

December 7, 2012 at 9:22 am

Hailer + Flotus = Hilarious

12. 49 Japa21
    December 7, 2012 at 9:23 am

A couple days ago I bnrought up the 27% number and how often it shows up to identify the crazies in this country. 27% think PBO not born in US, 27$ think ACORN stole the election, those kind of things.

Well, it pops up again. In a new Gallup poll (I know, its Gallup) 27% of the country approves of the way the GOP leadership is handling the fiscal “cliff” talks. (BTW, 52% approve of PBO’s handling.)http://bobcesca.com/blog-archives/2012/12/poll-no-one-approves-of-republican-leaders-in-congress.html

• December 7, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Japa – there really are certain numbers that seem to hold special significance. I saw a show last week where they were saying that the Star Trek series also has a certain number that pops up again and again – 47%…

13. 52 jackiegrumbacher
    December 7, 2012 at 9:28 am

What a glorious way to start the day. It’s bleak and rainy outside, but these photos bring on the sun. Busy Christmas prep weekend ahead, but it’s all icing on the cake next to the biggest present of all–four more years for PBO. Have a good one.

December 7, 2012 at 9:28 am

G’morning Chips, TOD, lurkers, everyone! Congratulations DF on #1! Happy Friday to all. :)

Thanks Chips for these amazing, gorgeous and inspiring pictures. Something was in my eye as I was scrolling down. Must be the allergies….

December 7, 2012 at 9:28 am

Also. Too. Your jobless rate goes international.

16. 55 Soca Sweet
    December 7, 2012 at 9:29 am

Can we lobby Rev Al or Rachel or LOD to air West Wing Week on their Friday night show. It is less than 10 minutes and there is so much that POTUS is doing that the population does not know.

December 7, 2012 at 9:33 am

• 58 forus50
      December 7, 2012 at 9:36 am

Wow! That’s unexpected great news!!! I was up early this morning and the Dow was going to open lower because UE was expected to stay the same. Now it’s up a bit. Thank you President Obama!!

I cannot express how happy I am EVERY MORNING to wake up and know our genius President is guiding the ship for four more years.

• 59 sherijr
        December 7, 2012 at 9:56 am

Me too forus ~ ever since we reelected POTUS I’ve had a total sense of calm… no matter what else is going on, I know we’re in good hands & as long as we do our part, he is busy doing his part better than anyone else possibly could.

• 60 Chi
          December 7, 2012 at 10:08 am

You and me both Sheri…

It’s really hard to get me really mad these days…

A tad irritated with the attempts to deny the President and his family a well deserved vacation…

December 7, 2012 at 11:52 am

WHAT A FABULOUS RESPONSE TO CNN! So clever of you, honey!

• 63 carolmaewy
      December 8, 2012 at 5:54 am

Hello, just had to mention there are male Sandy’s! ;) Sandy Kolfack came to mind. ;) But they name hurricanes by male, female etc. don’t they. Oops. It’s late and I can’t sleep. It’s been a long day. So glad I stopped by. The pics are great and also the videos. I didn’t get to see the tree lighting on TV. Now I can sleep. In fact it’s Sat. morning here!

18. December 7, 2012 at 9:33 am

Awesome post Chips!!! Thank you! But missing my “It’s Friday.. Friday’s good!” video! :)

December 7, 2012 at 9:36 am

I love to see my President behind the whee! :)

20. 67 Japa21
    December 7, 2012 at 9:36 am

Just a reminder to everybody. Today is the anniv ersary of two very significant evernts.

71 year ago was the attack on Pearl Harbor.

38 years ago I and the missus got married. We always joked that we chose that date because we knew a lot of people were going to get bombed and a few did, specially my brother-in-law who literally passed out into his dinner plate.

• 68 amk for obama
      December 7, 2012 at 9:37 am

Happy anniv. Just email my g&t.

December 7, 2012 at 9:38 am

Happy Anniversary Japa! And CONGRATULATIONS on 38 years together!!! :)

• December 7, 2012 at 9:38 am

Happy anniversary Japa!!!

“we knew a lot of people were going to get bombed and a few did, specially my brother-in-law who literally passed out into his dinner plate.”

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 71 Japa21
        December 7, 2012 at 9:41 am

I should note that I was not one of those who got bombed. Although I am sure that I probably had at least 10 different drinks in my hands, the damn photographer kept asking us to get into pictures with the guests, etc and I kept putting my glass down and the wait staff kept taking it away. I probably, cumulatively, had one complete drink.

• December 7, 2012 at 9:45 am

Hilarious!!! So you were cone stold slober?

• 73 Japa21
            December 7, 2012 at 9:59 am

Well, I can’t say I didn’t “slober”.

• 75 daisydem
            December 7, 2012 at 10:08 am

Happy Anniversay Japa to you and your wife. Hubby and I have been married 42 years! BTW; the same thing happened to me at my son’s wedding (hubby and I had no alcohol at ours – we were married in the Baptist Church I grew up in and out of, ha, ha) but at my son’s wedding, I kept getting a glass of wine, then someone would ask me to dance, or to pose for a picture, etc. I would sat down the wine, then could not find it, get another one …. well, you know how it goes. I don’t know if I even drank a whole glass!

• 77 Rita
      December 7, 2012 at 10:51 am

Happy Anniversary, Japa! Love your sense of humor :)

My husband and I will celebrate our 30th on Dec 10th! How time flies.

• 78 Pamela
        December 7, 2012 at 9:04 pm

The 10th is my birthday, Rita! I will celebrate your excellent anniversary! So fun! ( I’ll bet it’s a happy marriage, I was born on my parents 12th wedding anniversary and they had a very happy marriage, lots of love!) :)

• 79 theo67
      December 7, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Happy Anniversary, Japa!

• 80 Dakota
      December 7, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Happy 38th Anniversary Japa. All the best to you and your wife!

• 81 susanne
      December 7, 2012 at 4:15 pm

happy anniversary japa! and to the many here in hawaii who still remember that fateful day, i salute you.

• December 7, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Happy Anniversary Japa! Wishing you many, many more years of joy and love!

• 83 carolmaewy
      December 8, 2012 at 6:17 am

Congratulations Japa. And DesertFlower for #1. Did you see Pres. Obama laying a wreath at a memorial for those who died? It maybe here, I just have looked at everything on the page. The r’s couldn’t even hang around for that. I’m a History buff and taped a special the Military channel had on about the attack. Guess they found new films and Japan shared some. I always think of my cousin on this day. He wasn’t there, but joined Marines at 19. He was killed on Iwo Jima. His body was buried at sea. There is a Memorial cemetery where those veterans who didn’t return have a marker. He was from SD. Went with my aunt and uncle once to pay our respects. If you’re thinking I’m really old, I’m just old!

December 7, 2012 at 9:36 am

22. 87 dotster3
    December 7, 2012 at 9:38 am

Exceptionally beautiful collection of photos! The kiss of the lavender bunting chubby cheeked adorable baby won me over. And the kids in Thailand with hands outstretched toward our president, as if magnetic forces were in play.

23. 90 Japa21
    December 7, 2012 at 9:39 am

According to the WSJ, Mark Sanford of Appalachian Trail fame, is thinking of running for the Senate seat vacated by DeMint. http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/marc-sanford-considering-bid-to-replace-demint

December 7, 2012 at 9:39 am

December 7, 2012 at 10:13 am

One Republican Senator Crackpot Whatshisname mocked the “secret negotiations” going on, and said on the Senate floor that the poor Senators would all of a sudden see something before a vote that they had no input into … or something like that … and I laughed because it was BONER who asked for the one-on-one negotiations with the President, keeping the other leaders OUT of the bargaining.

It’s a tangled web they weaved when first they practiced to deceive.

• 96 Chi
        December 7, 2012 at 10:36 am

Boehener really doesn’t have the power to negotiate or make any final decisions on behalf of his caucus…

He’s got Limbaugh, Norquist, demint, Hannity, Adelson etc. to contend with…

December 7, 2012 at 9:41 am

26. 101 Vicki Green
    December 7, 2012 at 9:43 am

UE # 7.7% !!! 146,000 new jobs!!! US economy taking off. Just as Mitt told Laura Ingraham it would, remember?
    Only the big improvement is on POTUS’ watch, not the profit-first guy. PBO will be getting the credit as citizens get their jobs and lives back on track.
    PBO’s approval numbers show that the Country knows what’s up. We have an all-time great Leader.

27. 102 Eveingeorgia
    December 7, 2012 at 9:44 am

Good morning everyone. Thanks for the great pictures and clips.

Even though I did not want it to be bad, I didn’t worry too much about the jobs report this morning. For the first time in nearly four years, I wasn’t on pins and needles. He’s in office again! Everything else pales insignificance to that fact.
    Have a happy day, everyone.

28. December 7, 2012 at 9:44 am

The only time Al Gore gets his name in the news, he is rude to the President.
    He said about climate change, that talk is cheap.
    Ummm, maybe go after James Inhoffe who is on a personal paid mission from Koch Inc, to destroy Climate change prospects?
    Nope! He goes after the President, again!
    Sigh!

December 7, 2012 at 10:07 am

Forget Al Gore. He is just piss because the Obama campaign call on Bill Clinton during the DNC and the election, and Gore’s phone never rang. So long Gore.

• 105 Chi
      December 7, 2012 at 10:25 am

Al Gore is one of those “Democrats” – and there are quite a few – who I find incredibly suspect…

The emergence, election and re-election of Barack Obama certainly exposed many of these people and showed them for what they really are…

I tried to support Current but simply couldn’t…

I do watch Stephanie Miller and that’s about it..Steph is terrific…

The lady that does the hourly news updates during Steph’s 3 hours – Jackie Schechner – is pretty good…

The rest of the line up is whiplash inducing and serves no real purpose in it’s mimicry of the same crap on Fox, CNN except they have even fewer viewers: same self-promotion of the hosts, phony “fair and balanced” crap and attempts to show how hard and disrespectful they can be on and of President Obama…

I despise Cenk Ugyur so much I wouldn’t care if Current went out of business just to have him lose his spot…

Having Cenk Ugyur as the main attraction on a supposed “progressive” network pretty much tells you all you need to know about Al Gore…

• 107 Vicki Green
      December 7, 2012 at 11:41 am

Al Gore all pally with Mike Bloomberg. Yuck. Maybe that is who is buying Current. Although, what is left to buy? Current’s nightly programming is only M-Th 5-9.

• 108 Chi
        December 7, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I have no idea what their schedule is before or after Stephanie Miller, Vicki…

The idea of mistakenly stumbling onto Cenk Ugyur cures me of any hint of curiosity I ever nursed about the program line-up…

I actually watch Stephanie only because I followed her to Current t.v from her radio show when the “progressive” radio station that once carried her in my area replaced her with Glen Beck…

I love Hal Sparks one the most consistent and unapologetic truth tellers who always spoke up in support of President Obama…no disclaimers, no parsing…no hedging…

Hal is on Steph’s show, but sadly less so these days…

I think the fact he refuses to be co-opted by the Cenk Ugyur’s of the world makes him unacceptable at Current…

Unlike John Fugelsang, Hal refuses to play footsie with assholes, shoots straight, tells the truth and won’t sell his soul to the highest bidder for a t.v show…

I love, love, love Hal Sparks…

29. December 7, 2012 at 9:54 am

Weirdest news of the day: did you hear about the hoax call to royal Kate in the hospital where she was staying? The receptionist who put it through committed suicide today. Completely bizarre.

• 110 cookemom
      December 7, 2012 at 10:00 am

How horrible. I heard that the call didn’t actually get through to Kate. When I heard the tape, I thought then that this was not going to end well for the nurse. I didn’t think it would drive her to such a final act over a human mistake. Kate was never in any danger, even if the call did go through. That was nowhere near the intrusion of the photographer who took the nude pics of her. Too bad for the nurse and her family. I’m sure no one in the royal family would have wanted that, least of all Kate.

• 114 xtine
      December 7, 2012 at 10:09 am

Are you serious, Chips?!!

• December 7, 2012 at 10:16 am

Hiya Xtine, it’s bizarrely true, although the reports seem really muddled at the moment. At first they said it was the receptionist who put the hoax call through who committed suicide, then they said it wasn’t her, it was a nurse – now they say it was a nurse and she was the who put the call through. All very confusing, but, it seems, someone who was innocently involved in the whole thing has committed suicide. Over something like that?? I hope it doesn’t turn out that the hospital threatened to sack the person.

• 116 xtine
          December 7, 2012 at 10:18 am

That’s just terribly sad. It wouldn’t surprise me if the head nurse (or whatever they call that person) did something, threatened to fire her, berated her, etc. She must have been really fragile to begin with, otherwise suicide for that seems a lot extreme.

• December 7, 2012 at 10:21 am

Exactly, she had to have been fragile for this to push her over the edge. I’d assume it was all a huge embarrassment to the hospital, when royalty was involved, as I said I just hope it doesn’t turn out they were excesssive in their treatment of her.

• 118 Chi
          December 7, 2012 at 10:29 am

If they threatened to sack her Chip, then shame on them…

I listened to the call and the nurse was so sweet and kind without divulging much of anything really…

• 119 xtine
      December 7, 2012 at 10:16 am

[At BBC Breaking News]:

Duchess of Cambridge hospital nurse found dead

A nurse at the London hospital where the pregnant Duchess of Cambridge was treated has been found dead in central London, the BBC understands.

The King Edward VII hospital is expected to make a statement later.

Scotland Yard says officers responded at 09:35 GMT on Friday to reports of a woman found unconscious at an address in Weymouth Street, central London.

It is understood the dead woman took a hoax call from an Australian radio station earlier this week.

30. December 7, 2012 at 9:55 am

Morning O’s!!!! How’s everyone on this great getting up day on TOD planet??? UE# pretty darn good, I’d say and all those last few months of nail biting has been proven quite unnecessary. I think this number right after the election, strengthens PBO even more than a bad number would have harmed him before the election. It confirms to America and the world we voted correctly. Even those much courted undecideds and independents can rest assured they broke for the right guy.

• 127 Japa21
      December 7, 2012 at 9:59 am

Yes, and once again we can ask, and answer, the question, “Just think, where the economy would be now if the GOP actually worked with the Dems to improve the economy rather than against the President?”.

December 7, 2012 at 10:04 am

Well said, cookemom, from my vantage point here on TOD planet!

December 7, 2012 at 10:01 am

Chips – There’s those bare feet again on the “tourist”! Thank you, darlin’. And Good (Obama) Morning to you!

32. 147 FiredUpInCA
    December 7, 2012 at 10:02 am

Good morning all.

What an awesome set of achievements to savor on a Friday.

“Obama’s approval rating stands at 57 percent, the highest since May 2011, when U.S. Navy SEALs killed the terror leader, and up 5 percentage points from before the election. And 42 percent say the country is on the right track, up from 35 percent in January 2009.
    A majority think it’s likely that the president will be able to improve the economy in his second term.”

He’s also heading toward being the only President since Eisenhower to be re-elected with 51% of the popular vote.

We’re winning the Bush tax cuts battle and watching the tea party and Grover Norquist’s power diminish precipitously. We’re going to win the debt ceiling battle in a way that no President may ever have to be held hostage by a lunatic elected fringe.

Healthcare reform has already saved consumers $1.5 billion dollars.

Immigration reform, however fledgling, is finally being proposed by some Republicans.

It is truly amazing how much has been achieved by this President, the Democratic party and supporters who pushed back on folks Left, Right and indifferent to thwart a deeply-funded, organized and disciplined commitment to making him a one-term President.

December 7, 2012 at 10:02 am

Nice 7.7% unemployment rate for November to wake up to, this morning. #OnTheRightTrack

34. 152 dotster3
    December 7, 2012 at 10:09 am

• 154 Japa21
      December 7, 2012 at 10:18 am

Haley just might be dumb enough to think that Colbert really is a Republican and do it.

• 155 Chi
        December 7, 2012 at 10:45 am

It’s not her call to make…

The party bigwigs and benefactors will make the decision, tell her who it’s going to be and she’ll merely announce it…

35. 156 Pamela
    December 7, 2012 at 10:21 am

I particularly love the pic of FLOTUS coming off the plane, absolutely delighted to see her husband standing there (hands in pockets, sigh). Second favorite is PBO standing in front of the Shwedagon Pagoda, where I have vivd memories of standing many many years ago. But! I’m sure Chipsticks will agree, in the pic of PBO on the phone, sitting on the back of the chair: those are CHEESY PUFFS in that container on the table behind him! (why anyone would do that with cheesy puffs has me smh, but oh well, what say you, Chips? Gotta go, love y’all! :lol:

• 157 theo67
      December 7, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I loved that picture, too. And everyone in that picture is smiling, including the saluting officer on the right. I think the President must have said something remarkably sweet to his wife, and everyone couldn’t help themselves but smile. She looks delighted, as you said. Lovely! I need one of those…

36. December 7, 2012 at 10:23 am

Holtz-Eakin: GOP governors enabling single-payer healthcare

By Sam Baker
    Republican governors are going down a slippery slope toward single-payer healthcare by resisting the key feature of President Obama’s healthcare law, according to conservative economist Douglas Holtz-Eakin.

Republican governors have taken a hard line against setting up their own exchanges, which conservatives see as the best chance to undermine President Obama’s signature healthcare law. But as Holtz-Eakin noted in the National Review, that choice gives more power to the federal government.

“Conservatives must recognize that establishing a state health-insurance exchange is not acquiescing to Obamacare,” Holtz-Eakin wrote. “It is instead one of the best means available to fight it and to ensure that control remains where it belongs — in the states and with citizens.”

• 159 PoliticalJunkessa
      December 7, 2012 at 11:22 am

This is EXACTLY why I have not participated in the hand-wringing behind the rejection of Obamacare by the Tea Party governors. The health care law was crafted superbly, and that becomes more and more evident every day.

December 7, 2012 at 10:24 am

I see the NYT is trying to cause trouble for the President with their rumor-mongoring, “anonymous federal official” reporting of PBO/DOJ wanting to sue states for legalizing recreational marijuana

• 161 Japa21
      December 7, 2012 at 10:27 am

Specially since, as I believe was reported here yesterday, it seems the DOJ is looking to adopt a policy of only prosecuting those that use or sell MJ on Federal land in those states that have recently legalized it.

December 7, 2012 at 10:34 am

Really? That’s an important piece of info that I haven’t seen, but it would be important to have a link so that I can post on Twitter.

The NYT wants people to freak out prematurely and it’s getting tiresome. The disinformation propaganda machine where this President is concerned is relentless.

• 163 Japa21
          December 7, 2012 at 10:37 am

I’ll try to find it.

• 164 Japa21
          December 7, 2012 at 10:39 am

Jovie mentioned it yesterday, no link.

• 166 Chi
          December 7, 2012 at 10:50 am

Frankly Hopefruit anyone who freaks out at this bit of rumor mongering from the NYT never really respected or trusted this President to begin with, or simply should step away from politics entirely…

• 167 Japa21
            December 7, 2012 at 10:58 am

Just speculative thinking here. Let’s say the DOJ decided to start some legal action against those states that legalized MJ. I have a feeling that the courts would rule in favor of the states. This would, in many ways, basically put a stop to the rather disasterous “War on Drugs” and may actually lead to a saner approach to the drug problem in this country.

And it would be in a way that this adminsitration likes to approach things. Do it in a way that a later administraion can’t reverse the policy. If the DOJ just said it was deciding not to do anything, another DOJ could reverse that policy on a whim later.

This is just speculation on my part, but it is the way this adminsitration thinks. Think about DOMA. First it defended the law, and then, after an initial rejection of its argument chose not to pursue further litigation.

• 168 Chi
              December 7, 2012 at 11:12 am

That’s absolutely one way to look at it Japa…

I really don’t believe this President has any ill-intent with regard to marijuana prosecution…

I think he understands well the marijuana issue and would not do anything that potentially hurts those that need it for medicinal purposes etc…

I think many forget that the Jusice Dept is filled with a lot of people whose ideology and intentions do not necessarily align with the President’s…

There are civil servants in these agencies – including Cheney’s embeds – who will always try to muddy up whatever they can, whenever they can for whatever purposes…

Bureaucracies are the worst things to maneuver or change…And they tend to house some veteran assholes who precede and remain long after the President or whatever elected principal…

December 7, 2012 at 11:30 am

And the NYT made sure to carefully include these statements in their article – just to get certain people riled up…

// Some law enforcement officials, alarmed at the prospect that marijuana users in both states could get used to flouting federal law openly, are said to be pushing for a stern response. But such a response would raise political complications for President Obama because marijuana legalization is popular among liberal Democrats who just turned out to re-elect him.

“It’s a sticky wicket for Obama,” said Bruce Buchanan, a political science professor at the University of Texas at Austin, saying any aggressive move on such a high-profile question would be seen as “a slap in the face to his base right after they’ve just handed him a chance to realize his presidential dreams.” //

• 170 Chi
              December 7, 2012 at 11:51 am

Hope, wouldn’t you think that most of the activists involved would easily see through these attempts by the media to instigate and muddy up things…

Unless of course there are those trying to deliberately push the matter to try to force President Obama into talking about it…

And with all the serious stuff going on here at home and in the world, irritates me so to see this being pushed to get President Obama’s attention…

Frankly, I doubt that many of the marijuana activists voted for President Obama…

Most are Ron Paul supporters and many voted for either Gary Johnson or the Green party lady…

This bogus attempt at trying to push Ron Paul Libertarians as the President’s base is becoming so amusingly obvious…

December 7, 2012 at 11:59 am

I agree. I wish someone would do a survey assessing the proportion of those who think the marijuana issue is most important and look at their actual voting patterns. They are not the President’s base, but they are his most vocal critics.

There is a rec-listed diary on Old Orange (predictably) on this NYT article, with the usual suspects who are strongly anti-Holder (notice the typical aggression towards certain but not all members of PBO’s cabinet).

• 172 amk for obama
      December 7, 2012 at 11:12 am

She seems to be losing it.

38. December 7, 2012 at 10:35 am

Wow, a blistering cartoon:

• 180 Rita
      December 7, 2012 at 10:39 am

I am STILL upset about that vote. Just signals a decline in our moral compass/authority. After something like this, what right do we have to criticize any other country for how they treat their most vulnerable citizens… so depressing too.

• 181 amk for obama
        December 7, 2012 at 11:08 am

egg.sack.lee. These traitorous fuckers are wantonly undermining the US from within. And the fifth columnist msm let them slide. Yet again.

• 182 Chi
          December 7, 2012 at 11:20 am

I think that’s the biggest shame…

The complicit media…

I saw a clip of Chuck Todd trying to help set things up for the GOP by suggesting that the President will have to accept the GOP offer for an initial negotiation that does not include discussions about the debt ceiling…

For the Chuck Todd’s of the world, the assault on America and all that it stands for by the GOP, is merely entertainment and good for ratings…

They want another chance at staying relevant and a ratings bonanza in a couple of months with another fight over the debt ceiling…

December 7, 2012 at 11:42 am

The Chuck Todd who kept telling us that we weren’t excited about going out to vote for President Obama, not the way the Republicans were for Mitt Romney. The Chuck Todd who kept pushing those bogus polls at us, telling us that Mitt Romney had a chance to win. The Chuck Todd who kept talking about the small Obama crowds, not like they were in 08. That Chuck Todd.

• 184 Chi
              December 7, 2012 at 11:57 am

Annie, Chuck Todd is such a horrid and despicable part of such a destructive group…

The more their credibility is challenged and they are exposed for the frauds they are, the more unhinged they get…

I suspect that Chuck Todd will soon trip over himself finally and it won’t be too soon…

• 185 Rita
            December 7, 2012 at 11:45 am

This was a great blog post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2012/12/06/senate-republicans-profiles-in-moral-cowardice/

It seems as though bloggers are picking up the slack from MSM, but they need to get more exposure.

39. 186 xtine
    December 7, 2012 at 10:44 am

17 bills that likely would have passed the Senate if it didn’t have the filibuster:

111th Congress:
    DREAM Act
    DISCLOSE Act
    Employee Free Choice Act (EFCA)
    Public option
    Paycheck Fairness Act
    Permanent middle-class Bush tax cut extension
    Rescinding of the upper-income Bush tax cuts
    Public Safety Employer-Employee Cooperation Act
    Emergency Senior Citizens Relief Act
    Creating American Jobs and Ending Offshoring Act

112th Congress:
    American Jobs Act
    The Buffett rule
    Teachers and First Responders Back to Work Act of 2011
    Repeal Big Oil Tax Subsidies Act
    “Shared Sacrifice”
    Withholding Tax Relief Act of 2011
    Burmese import restrictions

Appointments:
    These four nominees — for the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, directorship of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, a seat on the National Labor Relations Board, and a seat on bench for the U.S. District Court for D.C. — almost certainly would have gone through absent a filibuster. Goodwin Liu won 52 votes, Richard Cordray 53, Craig Becker 52, and Caitlin Halligan 54. With the exception of Becker, all were appointed in the 112th Congress.

Cordray and Becker both got recess appointments, with the latter’s term lapsing in late 2011, and the former’s set to lapse at the end of 2013. Halligan was renominated for the seat in September, and might face a vote in the coming year, if not in the lame duck session. Liu, a rising star in legal circles and likely future Supreme Court justice, withdrew his nomination and is now a justice of the California Supreme Court.

But the filibuster also blocked any number of other appointees who didn’t get a vote for fear they couldn’t break a filibuster. Notable among these are former Medicare administrator Donald Berwick and Fed nominee (and Nobel laureate) Peter Diamond. The filibuster messed up the whole appointments process from 2009 to 2013. Without it, Obama probably could have used his Democratic Senate majority to approve any nominees he wanted.

Details here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/05/17-bills-that-likely-would-have-passed-the-senate-if-it-didnt-have-the-filibuster/

40. 190 NurseShar
    December 7, 2012 at 10:45 am

Good west coast morning, it’s cold in Cali today, 60 degrees, I’ll have to wear my winter coat to work today. For all you scandal fans, I watched the “you belong to me” scene 5 times this morning. OMG!!

December 7, 2012 at 11:12 am

Never watched Scandal before last evening, but now I’m hooked. Didn’t take long. That scene was great!

December 7, 2012 at 10:47 am

Saw on MSNBC that somebody tweeted: “David Axelrod’s mustache is dead, and General Motors is alive.” Clevah!

42. December 7, 2012 at 10:57 am

43. 195 99ts
    December 7, 2012 at 11:03 am

Boehner seems to be talking b..s..t – live news conference

December 7, 2012 at 11:08 am

45. 198 57andFemale
    December 7, 2012 at 11:09 am

46. 201 JER
    December 7, 2012 at 11:11 am

Governor Christie went to the White House yesterday and met with President Obama to secure Hurricane Sandy funds. Later in the day the First Lady was heard shouting: “Barack! What happened to all those cookies I made?”

December 7, 2012 at 11:12 am

For those of you who visit Old Orange, there is a nice photo diary with lovely pics (similar to this thread) of PBO’s trip to Asia, and his domestic appearances and various events (e.g., Christmas tree lighting, Bo, Thanksgiving volunteering, etc). I tipped and rec’d to show my appreciation and support. :)

• 205 Don
      December 7, 2012 at 11:39 am

Oh really, now Old Orange is okay with photo diaries? I remember when BWD did photo diaries, they were labeled propaganda pieces. I mean really, what else can they do to draw visitors to their site? Because it sure as hell won’t be the idiotic tripe they write about President Obama.

December 7, 2012 at 11:49 am

I think they realize the validity of these photo diaries – and that these diaries are not simply “mindless cheerleading” but tell some very important stories – stories that the feckless media (both left and right) often and sometimes deliberately, fail to capture and convey.

At the time PBO was visiting Asia, the media distracted us with Patraeus crap (which I cautioned on this site was a distraction and a non-story which typically occurs in the MSM during PBO’s foreign trips). Outside of TOD, most people probably didn’t even know that PBO had received such a profound welcome on his historic visit to Burma.

48. 237 Japa21
    December 7, 2012 at 11:25 am

Cute story. Just got a text from my younger son wishuing us a happy anniversary. But what he really wanted to say was that he was a reception last night that was held in the same suite where PBO was election night and where PBO was watching the results. He was quite excited about this. He never gets excited about anything his mom and dad do. Jeez, I feel kind of jealous.

49. 240 PoliticalJunkessa
    December 7, 2012 at 11:25 am

Lovely pics, every single one! The pic of PBO in the suite, on the phone with Willard, just makes me thirstier for more behind-the-scene pics from Election Night.

• 241 HZ
      December 7, 2012 at 11:47 am

Good Morning Chips and my TOD family. It is a lovely cool and sunny day on the westcoast. Grateful to be up and about and reading all of the great comments this morning from all of the most beautiful people in the universe.

Chips, the photos are so beautiful. I love seeing POB with the children and the elderly. He is so natural with everyone, but there is something so special when he is lifting up a precious baby or hugging a beautiful senior or a group of children.

Oh, Chips, those ‘bare feet’ will send us to the Naughty Mats early this morning. My, my, my, our POTUS is just plain fine all over. What a delight to wake up to the great news about the job number. Prayers are being heard while our President is working with his team.

Keep the meditations going forth for a great restful and fun filled vacation for our First Family, our Chips, and each of you here in our TOD family. Let us continue to enjoy our POTUS. Nothing, will keep us from doing that, okay. We worked hard for this beautiful gift.

Now, please remember to place an ornament or light a candle for our military families who are away from their families, and do remember the families and little ones who have not seen their parents for sometime now. Pray for wisdom for POB, VPOTUS, Sec. Clinton, and Sec. Panetta as they make decisions.

I am off to take care of some chores and gather up my ingredients for my eggnog recipe that maryl shared with us last night.

((((((((((( Lots of healing love to Fred and Jackie’s sister.)))))))))))))) Also a BIG welcome back to my sweet Deserflower. Missed you DF.

Be good to your space and travel with a lot of love, hope, compassion, and peace within your hearts. HZ

50. December 7, 2012 at 11:32 am

51. 245 xtine
    December 7, 2012 at 11:34 am

{Eric & Dana sitting in a tree … ‘kay-aye-ass-ass-aye-n-gee! Jeebus!]:

“Vice President Joe Biden is quietly working with House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) to try to pass an inclusive version of the Violence Against Women Act in the lame-duck Congress. And so far, sources tell HuffPost, Cantor is on board as long as one thing is stripped from the bill: a key protection for Native American women.

“Staffers for Biden and Cantor have been trying to reach a deal on the bill for at least a week. Neither camp publicly let on it was talking to the other until Wednesday, when Cantor said the two are in negotiations and he’s feeling hopeful about a deal.”

///////

In this case, Cantor is willing to bend on LGBT and immigrant provisions, but he wants Democrats to scrap protections for Native American women. According to the Huffington Post, the Democratic provision gives tribal courts limited jurisdiction to oversee domestic violence offenses committed against Native American women by non-Native American men on tribal lands, and the House Republican leader wants this expansion curtailed.

We’ll know soon enough whether an agreement is possible in the limited time remaining, but in the meantime, GOP officials should probably hope Dana Perino isn’t the leading conservative voice when it comes to domestic violence.

Indeed, it’s astonishing that a Republican media figure would say this out loud on national television.

“Appearing on Fox News Wednesday evening, Dana Perino suggested female victims of violence should “make better decisions” in order to escape harm.”

• 246 Chi
      December 7, 2012 at 11:40 am

What’s he got against Native American women…

• 247 xtine
        December 7, 2012 at 11:49 am

I suspect it’s self-hatred on his part! But Perino! Really? “Dana Perino suggested female victims of violence should ‘make better decisions’ in order to escape harm.”

• December 7, 2012 at 11:56 am

They vote overwhelmingly for the President. And as usual, anybody who is not a constituent of the GOP loses out. A bad habit!

• 250 Chi
          December 7, 2012 at 12:01 pm

What a horrible excuse for refusing to d their job as elected officials…

And how shortsighted…

Don’t they realize that they could actually win hearts and minds if they do the right thing…could even translate into votes…

• 251 Japa21
          December 7, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I think it is more that they don’t believe a white man should be judged by some darn injun. Kind of like feeling a US citizen shouldn’t be judged by some foreign country, specially if the people of that country are brown.

52. 252 Rita
    December 7, 2012 at 11:42 am

On a lighter note, check out this video. One pengiun falls down and the others react.

53. 253 xtine
    December 7, 2012 at 11:51 am

[About time! Steve Benen: "Democrats are entirely united on debt-ceiling strategy ..."]:

Except, McConnell’s little stunt backfired — Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and his caucus immediately endorsed the idea, leaving the Kentucky Republican to have to filibuster his own bill before it could pass. As Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) put it, the gambit was “a little too clever by half.” Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) suggested there’s no recent precedent for a senator filibustering his or her own proposal.

But the larger point isn’t to just point and laugh at McConnell’s misfortune and mistaken assumptions. Rather, the point is we learned something important in the midst of this failed stunt: Democrats are entirely united on debt-ceiling strategy and want this looming threat to the country and its economy taken off the table, permanently.

In other words, what was a long-shot White House idea is, at least for now, the official position of the Democratic Party and a majority of the Senate. It’s the sort of revelation that’s likely to influence the negotiating process as congressional Republicans once again threaten to hurt the nation, on purpose, unless their demands are met.

54. December 7, 2012 at 11:54 am

Jaw-droppingly beautiful photos, Chips! Awesome!

55. 263 xtine
    December 7, 2012 at 12:02 pm

[Inauguration!!! Yay, parades! :) Damn, what doesn't Jim Messina do? ]:

President Obama’s second inauguration will feature two swearings-in and the traditional parade and official balls. All the pomp will follow a national day of service to honor the country’s shared values and the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr., the newly launched Presidential Inaugural Committee announced Thursday.

Eva Longoria, who was a big fundraiser and prominent surrogate for Obama’s campaign, will serve as a committee co-chair, all four living former presidents will serve as honorary co-chairs, and several top campaign officials will organize the weekend’s festivities.

/////

Campaign manager Jim Messina is in charge of the inaugural parade down Pennsylvania Avenue on Jan. 21, which coincides with the King federal holiday.

/////

In announcing committee officials, the president said, “This year’s inaugural will reflect our belief that working together, we can keep moving our country forward.”

To that end, he called on Americans across the country to step up and serve in their communities on Jan. 19. The president and first lady and Vice President Biden and his wife will participate in service projects in the metropolitan area. In 2009, the president visited with troops at Walter Reed Army Medical Center and then with teens at a D.C. shelter.

• 264 Chi
      December 7, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Fantastic…

It’s going to be another lovely and emotional inaugural…

Hard-fought and won in the face of great hostility and obstruction…

• 265 xtine
        December 7, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I can’t wait! I just love how they’re combining service to the communities with the pomp & ceremony of Inauguration & MLK Day! It was meant to be!

• 266 xtine
      December 7, 2012 at 12:08 pm

OK, just a comment: Carter, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II. I don’t think Jimmy Carter is going to that mixer! :)

December 7, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Bush I is not doing very well health-wise. I hope he’s strong enough to at least participate in the public swearing ceremony on the 21st.

• 268 xtine
          December 7, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I thought I heard Carter wasn’t doing so well healthwise. I think PBO is pulling him in because out of all of them he seems the most ostracized from the Presidents Club.

• 269 Chi
        December 7, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Why won’t President Carter go to the mixer xtine…

56. December 7, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Good West Coast morning, everyone.

Not much time right now to catch up — doctor’s appointment. But, in the tradition of plugging myself, I have a new post up on my blog: http://novelsinprogress.com/2012/12/07/fable-metamorphosis/

Take a gander if you can. BBL.

57. 271 dudette9t9
    December 7, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Forbes Top Ten Most Powerful People in the World
    Guess who’s #1? [ a bop on the head with a wet noodle if you took more than 1 second to answer that correctly]

Article with Slideshow: http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/2012/12/05/the-worlds-most-powerful-people/
    Video: http://video.forbes.com/fvn/most-powerful-people/top-10-2012/

Anyway 3 American’s in top 10 – The President, Bill Gates, and Ben Bernanke

—-
    Hillary and Tim Geithner dropped off, because they’re leaving their posts soon.

58. December 7, 2012 at 12:19 pm

About State legalization of pot issue.
    A little while ago, the US Congress passed the substance control Act, under that law, Marijuana is Illegal.
    Therefore, the Executive Branch of the US is to enforce all Laws including the Substance control act.
    You want it different, Lobby Cingress to change that Law.
    Not this Presidents fault that law is on the books.
    Jezzus!!!

59. 279 xtine
    December 7, 2012 at 12:38 pm

[Check out the sponsors! Also, did Darden sign up beforehand or are they trying to clean up their bad publicity? If I'm not mistaken, they're parent company for Olive Garden & Red Lobster.]:

The Partnership for a Healthier America (PHA), the foundation created to support First Lady Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move! campaign, has announced that Time Inc. has signed on as “the exclusive media sponsor” for the foundation’s 2013 Building a Healthier Future Summit, which will be held March 6-8, 2013, in Washington, D.C. The company will devote its print and digital properties to promoting the slate of events scheduled for the Summit, as well as have an “on site” presence to promote its own health-related brands, PHA said.

Time. Inc. joins some of America’s biggest corporations in supporting Mrs. Obama’s national campaign, including Walmart; Darden Restaurants Inc.; Disney; Goya Foods, Inc.; and Hyatt Hotels and Resorts, owner of the Grand Hyatt hotel where the Summit will be held.

Time Inc. has a “combined readership” of more than 130 million, “which complements the work of PHA and its partners,” the foundation said. “FORTUNE and Cooking Light brands will have an onsite presence at the Summit, including participation in obesity-related panel discussions, judging event-related competitions and exhibiting in the Summit’s Collaboration Hall.”

60. 281 Don
    December 7, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I’m so fed up with this Marijuana issue foolishness, President Obama surely has more important things to worry about than if someone can light up a joint or not. I want my President’s time to be occupied with issues dealing with Afghanistan, the economy, jobs, housing, and health care, and not some guy trying to sell a few bags of weed to a person that does not have any medical issues. And no, I don’t think marijuana should be legalized.

December 7, 2012 at 12:40 pm

It’s another B.S. distraction pushed by the MSM to cause conflict and diminish PBO’s approval ratings and support.

• 283 Don
        December 7, 2012 at 12:46 pm

You are so right, hope, as if President Obama putting the Marijuana issue to bed once and for all is the final hurdle he must clear to be considered a great President.

December 7, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Yay. I have been called to Zambia next week.

62. December 7, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Yikes, this thread is getting long, will be posting a new one in a few minutes!

63. December 7, 2012 at 12:45 pm

December 7, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Gunnite folks.

65. 303 xtine
    December 7, 2012 at 12:49 pm

[I just couldn't find my invite! Gotta find the others pronto! :) See below -- I'm one of the 14K, dammit! I got some megawatts! :) ]:

President Obama hosted an exclusive holiday dinner at the White House last Friday evening for some of his most elite fund-raisers. About 200 people who were part of the Obama campaign’s National Finance Committee were wined and dined at a closed-to-press party in the East Room, reported Chicago Sun-Times Lynn Sweet. The event was not listed on the President’s daily schedule.

/////

Guests included megawatt bundlers and donors from Chicago, where the President’s re-election effort was headquartered. They enjoyed a special menu while rubbing elbows with top members of the President’s 2012 team, including campaign manager Jim Messina, top strategist David Axelrod, and deputy campaign managers Stephanie Cutter and Julianna Smoot. White House Senior Adviser David Plouffe also attended.

The White House chefs are spotlighting recipes from the First Lady Michelle Obama’s book American Grown on this year’s holiday buffet menus, but the President’s donor dinner had a smaller menu. It included hand-passed appetizers, followed by a salad of winter greens with peaches and pears, and an entree of braised short ribs with a side of shellfish. Dessert was a pumpkin creme brulee.

The Chicago guests included Vicki Heyman, a co-chair of the Illinois Finance Committee and her husband, Bruce; another Illinois co-chair, Ariel Investments founder John Rogers; Cubs co-owner Laura Ricketts; business executives James Crown and Penny Pritzker; and Michael Sacks, CEO of Grosvenor Capital Management and an investor and board member for Wrapports LLC, the owner of Sun-Times Media, publisher of the Chicago Sun-Times.

The President and Mrs. Obama are in the midst of their annual holiday entertaining, and receptions and dinners are being held almost nightly, and sometimes twice nightly, with 14,000 guests expected through mid-December. Friday’s dinner “was paid for by the Democratic National Committee,” according to the White House aide.

• 304 dudette9t9
      December 7, 2012 at 6:56 pm

All I want is a picture of her in her outfit for the evening, preferably standing beside her tuxedoed escort? Is that TOO much to ask? :-)

December 7, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Dogs against Romney has a new Twitter handle, now that their first mission has been accomplished.

67. December 7, 2012 at 1:24 pm

At laaaaaaast: a new post. But it’s packed with news you’ve heard already :???:

68. 307 Nena20409
    December 7, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Oh mine…..that little tyke jumping……okay, leap-frogging……okay….flying to get a POTUS high Five is so beyond delicious. Could We have a repeat of that on the next thread? Pretty please?

RSS Steve Benen