Dec

Rise and Shine

Saturday: The President has no public events scheduled

Sunday: The First Family will attend Christmas in Washington at the National Building Museum

Monday: The President will travel to Redford, Michigan for an event on the economy at the Daimler Detroit Diesel plant

Tuesday and Wednesday: The President will attend meetings at the White House

Thursday: The President will host a Hanukkah reception at the White House

Friday: The President will attend meetings at the White House

Business Insider: As negotiations on a deal to avert the “fiscal cliff” enter the final three weeks, Republicans face a stark reality: The American public continues siding with President Barack Obama and Democrats on the issues crucial to any potential deal.

Polls taken over the past month have continually shown that a post-election bump for the President, combined with the relative unpopularity of Republicans, gives Obama a lot of leverage in the debate.

…. The kicker lies in the difference in approval ratings between Obama and Congressional Republicans. Obama’s approval rating hit an astounding 57 percent in Friday’s AP survey. Meanwhile, Congress has a 23 percent approval rating.

More here

Love this!

ThinkProgress

NYT: Fifty-eight years after it banned discrimination in public education, the Supreme Court has set the stage for the defining civil rights decision of this era — agreeing to hear two cases challenging laws that define marriage to exclude couples of the same sex. To us, and a growing number of Americans, the right course seems clear: that the justices continue the march toward real equality.

…. Public opinion is shifting on this issue as more people recognize the inherent wrong in a last bastion of official discrimination. The most important hearts and minds to be won at this point belong to the nine justices.

Full editorial here

Mike Thompson

Found this yesterday and tweeted it – I’m still weepin’!

*****

@charliecristfl

Washington Post: Former Florida governor Charlie Crist said late Friday night that he is now a Democrat.

The Republican governor-turned independent Senate candidate’s move was widely anticipated, especially in advance of a potential 2014 run for his old office. Crist endorsed President Obama for reelection this year and has aligned with Democrats over the last two years.

More here

A blast from the past…..

Complete randomness:

MooooOooooOoooooOooooorning everyone ;-)

384 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 Betsy
    December 8, 2012 at 10:14 am

Hey, how is everyone?

• 2 proudmemberofglobalzero
      December 8, 2012 at 10:27 am

Congrats on 1st Betsy! Thank you for all the Clips Chips! On Christ becoming a Dem. He is an environmentalist. He knows that our economy depends on tourism and the “Snow Angels” that winter with us. Off shore drilling on the coast of Florida is a NON STARTER for him. He is still a don’t tax the rich and not so much a social liberal. We will see what happens in the future. He is still popular on both sides of the moderate isle here. That could lead to a Senate seat in the future. I would love to see Rubio go the way of Allen West! That election is up during our next Presidential General Election in 2016…too long to wait in my book.

• 3 Betsy
        December 8, 2012 at 10:32 am

Thanks, proud. It is interesting to me how the GOP is forcing moderates like Christi out of their party unless they toe the hard right party line. Now we need him to work on 17 house members to flip the House in January. It could happen, right? I am so wishing…

• 4 prettyfoot58
      December 8, 2012 at 10:33 am

Congratsssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!

2. 6 dudette9t9
    December 8, 2012 at 10:20 am

Hi Betsy! Dragging a little today. Congrats! :-)

3. 9 Betsy
    December 8, 2012 at 10:20 am

Wow, where is everybody? It is only 7am here in CA. I am up early today getting ready to help the economy by Christmas shopping, only not going to Walmart or Macy’s.

4. 10 pugeretto
    December 8, 2012 at 10:20 am

Go Betsy! Morning all again! Check out Chips video on last post if you missed it!

• 11 Betsy
      December 8, 2012 at 10:26 am

Good Morning pugeretto. Have a great Saturday.

• 12 a4alice
        December 8, 2012 at 11:16 am

hey Betsy! congrats on first! It FINALLY snowed here in MN I now feel like decorating. It’s just not Christmas without snow!

• 13 Betsy
          December 8, 2012 at 4:08 pm

You are so right about that, even after 12 years in California, I still don’t feel it is really the Christmas season without snow, even though half my decorations are out now. You are so lucky.

5. 14 dudette9t9
    December 8, 2012 at 10:22 am

Morning Chips! Thanks for all the delicious video treats! :-D

6. 15 FiredUpInCA
    December 8, 2012 at 10:23 am

Good morning all. Congrats Betsy.

7. 17 dudette9t9
    December 8, 2012 at 10:27 am

December 8, 2012 at 10:28 am

Vid with the sleeping kid is cute. Dad is excited and seems to be saying “Come on guys with the cameras. Take some pictures, stat.”

December 8, 2012 at 10:29 am

President Obama and first lady Michelle Obama will do a joint interview with ABC News’ Barbara Walters, the network announced Saturday. This will be the fourth time the first couple sits down with Walters for a holiday interview. It will air Friday, Dec. 14, at 10 p.m. ET.

• 20 amk for obama
      December 8, 2012 at 10:31 am

They should be doing interviews with some young and upright journos instead of tiring hacks like her.

December 8, 2012 at 10:50 am

amk, just asking, who would you suggest the Obamas do the interview with? You have a name.

• 22 amk for obama
          December 8, 2012 at 10:55 am

why does it have to be a known name ? With his press office, he can find out smart journos, can’t he, and give them some well deserved recognition. Aren’t tired of seeing the same old, meh journos for decades now ?

• December 8, 2012 at 7:51 pm

How about Soledad O’Brien? Or there was another young man who did a really good interview – you can see my brain is not functioning at top speed.

• December 8, 2012 at 10:58 am

Completely agree – and Walters just doesn’t deserve this kind of status, she does my head in.

• 25 amk for obama
          December 8, 2012 at 11:03 am

I was not impressed with her in 1984. And I am not impressed with her 3 decades later. george will is another dinosaur still on teevee.

December 8, 2012 at 11:33 am

The interview comes on Friday December 14th at 10p.m. ABC.

December 8, 2012 at 12:20 pm

There you go bud, I threw your thought upon the waters and maybe it will come back after having borne fruit…..next time.

• 28 Obama Grandmama
              December 8, 2012 at 1:41 pm

The President is not incharge of programming for the stations or who does the special interviews. He is only incharge of who he does the interviews with. If the station keeps giving the special interviews to Barbara Walters then that is who he is asked to interview with.

December 8, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I know he isn’t, but I do know that their timelines are handled by others on the team who might have access to this area of planning. Hence I’m only planting a seed of thought that may or may not take root going forward.

December 8, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I definitely agree about planting the seed … but they probably agree to doing BW, since she still has a following for these annual shows. It’s a good way to speak directly to that chunk of people, post-election, during the holiday season, and pre-second term. Anyway, that’s my take.

• 31 carolmaewy
              December 8, 2012 at 3:13 pm

She might be this years most fascinating person! You know, the B Walters special…

• December 8, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I’m with you, amk – Barbara Walters has proven herself to be a hack, and I wish they’d start a new tradition with the second term by granting a Christmas interview with up and coming journalists who have distinguished themselves with actual acts of journalism. Last year, I almost refused to watch the Barbara Walters interview – but I couldn’t abandon the President and First Lady. It’s the only time I watch a lot of these so-called news or talk show specials these days – because the President and First Lady are on.

• 33 Chi
          December 8, 2012 at 8:27 pm

The biggest reason Barbara Walters should not have gotten an interview with President and Mrs Obama this year is precisely because of her horrid behavior throughout the election season…

And particularly her behavior on election night after the President was re-elected…

Barbara Walters was part of the depressed ABC election night panel and was incredibly negative about the President’s win…

It was shocking to hear Barbara Walters comforting herself and fellow election night panelists by insisting that second terms are never successful and always jinxed and how President Obama’s win wasn’t necessarily a good thing…

Walters threw out potential scenarios for all that could ‘go wrong’ in an Obama second term reminding her fellow panelists that ‘Malia was getting older’ and would soon be ‘off to college’ so she might do something wrong along the way; She also talked about ‘rumors’ about ‘problems in their marriage’…

She said all this while being incredibly sympathetic about Ann Romney and all she’d ‘endured’ and ‘suffered through’ for her husband’s campaign – including her now (in)famous M.S flares which were meant to be ‘kept secret’ but always seemed to be the first thing Ann Romney and her supporters including Barbara Walters always seemed to talk about in their never ending bid to whip up sympathy for a rather coldhearted witch…

This is not who you want to reward with an interview…

It is fair to say that Barbara Walters along with her close friends and vacation buddies Donald Trump, Arianna Huffington, Newt and Calista Gingrich etc, were all hoping for a Romney win…

Barbara Walters cut the Romneys every slack in the hope that once they were elected (ha!) Barbara would have the sort of access to the White House and social events the Obama seem to have denied her…

Alas it was not to be and we once again find Barbara Walters unsuccessfully clawing her way back to relevance by seeking an interview with the President and First Lady she and her greedy, self-serving cronies had hoped to replace…

And if Barbara Walters after getting this interview still tries to pull that condescending, passive aggressive crap she tries to do each time she interviews this President and First Lady, she’ll be very sorry…

• 34 dudette9t9
      December 8, 2012 at 10:43 am

Wait! This isn’t gonna be part of BabaWawa’s annual Most Fascinating People special is it? No damn way they should be in the same category as freakin’ Honey Booboo!

• 39 Bill
      December 8, 2012 at 10:48 am

Another chance for FOX to go into a rage because they were not included.

December 8, 2012 at 10:35 am

That teabagger toon is hilarious and so schadenfreudy.

11. 42 dudette9t9
    December 8, 2012 at 10:37 am

Chips Honey, you’ve just GOTTA put the Sing video in the vault and maybe even on the right side menu, so we can get to that one quickly and often! Exceptional work there, Missy!

12. 45 anniebella
    December 8, 2012 at 10:39 am

Wait, wait, don’t tell me (2005) Senator Barack Obama, I listen to that video and it was so cool, so funny. Thanks for posting it, I really enjoyed it.

• 46 dudette9t9
      December 8, 2012 at 10:53 am

I just love that man!

December 8, 2012 at 10:58 am

Barack and the Bun video is cool too.

December 8, 2012 at 11:00 am

Well how can I leave out the young kids? How about I just say, all of them are cool.

December 8, 2012 at 12:36 pm

All of them are indeed cool, Annieb, but I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE ‘Wait, wait, don’t tell me’! I am so happy to be reminded that it was in my archival list.

Muchas gracias, Senora Chips! I am wonderfully addicted to PBO Memory Lane clips. THAT was ONE of TOD’s greatest initial attractions for me as a site. Around the time I came on board CC was doing a nightly (I believe) series of Oldies. I couldn’t help falling in ♥ ♥ ♥ with this place and I’ve never looked back (though sometimes the young mayoress makes fun of my speediness; for example taking an hour+ after Rise & Shine debuts to sign in ON A SATURDAY!)

December 8, 2012 at 12:39 pm

BTW, someone answered me somewhere in the village but I have been unable to access the comment, despite clicking on the bright speech bubble several time. So whoever it was, please know that I haven’t responded (if a response makes sense) because I can’t see who it is or on which thread.

13. 51 Vicki Green
    December 8, 2012 at 10:39 am

Chips, the Sing video captured the joy perfectly. Loved it and thank you.

A word or two on Charlie Crist: This move has long been in the making. Did anybody on TOD watch and or remember when Hillary brought her case to the Rules and Bylaws committee? This was during the fierce primary fight in 2008.
    The attorney representing PBO was Robert Wexler, then a Congressman in a district adjacent to Debbie WS. He fought brilliantly and won for PBO and did not seek re-election but resigned and began working with Charlie Crist.

So if I am reading this correctly it is a full circle.

December 8, 2012 at 10:54 am

Robert Wexler is one of my favorite Democrats, and I was sorry he didn’t want to be in Congress longer, but good for him for continuing the fight.

Welcome, Charlie Crist. Probably he chose the right time, and he sure seems enamored to “hang with” the First Couple. Anybody who refused to “hurt teachers” while FL Governor, and who didn’t run away from greeting our President at the airport, is okay in my book from the start!

December 8, 2012 at 11:05 am

Didn’t Crist also say that he extended the early voting time, you know were that weasel Scott cut the early voting.

December 8, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Yes, I believe so. He’s a pretty good guy, all around, and certainly has made the right (left) choice this time.

• 55 Vicki Green
        December 8, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Yes,Jacqueline and Bo—- a Firebreathing Liberal, was sitting next to FLOTUS at a recent event. I think Florida will be firmly in Dem hands sooner rather than later.

• 56 Vicki Green
          December 8, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Bob, not Bo

December 8, 2012 at 1:30 pm

:) A friend of mine, who lives on the cusp between two D and R counties in Florida, was so pleasantly surprised to see, after all the votes were counted, that there actually were less Rs who voted in and around her than she expected. She said she felt like she could throw open her doors and walk among friends, for a change! Liberated!

• 58 HZ
            December 8, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Hi jacquelineoboomer, I concur. I like Charlie Crist, and I am liking the fact that he chose the)IMO) this time to come on over. I think that he might have a good run, if he chooses to run again in 2014. That would be great.HZ

14. 59 dudette9t9
    December 8, 2012 at 10:40 am

Bringing this over, cuz it’s too good for just us nightowls :-)

15. December 8, 2012 at 10:40 am

Good Morning!

What’s on the agenda today?

December 8, 2012 at 10:43 am

The results of a 4 year study show that Americans who obtain their news from Fox News channel have an average IQ of 80, which represents a 20 point deficit when compared to the U.S. national average of 100. IQ, or intelligence quotient, is the international standard of assessing intelligence.

Researchers at The Intelligence Institute, a conservative non-profit group, tested 5,000 people using a series of tests that measure everything from cognitive aptitude to common sense and found that people who identified themselves as Fox News viewers and ‘conservative’ had, on average, significantly lower intelligent quotients. Fox Viewers represented 2,650 members of the test group.

Test subjects who received their news from other outlets or reported they do not watch the news scored an average IQ of 104, compared to 80 for Fox News viewers.

He continues, “Fox News’ content is presented at an elementary school level and plays directly into the fears of the less educated and less intelligent.”

The researchers said that an IQ of 80 is well above the score of 70, which is where psychiatrists diagnose mental retardation. P. Nichols says an IQ of 80 will not limit anyone’s ability to lead happy, fulfilling lives.

17. 79 prettyfoot58
    December 8, 2012 at 10:50 am

December 8, 2012 at 11:02 am

Many of MHP’s segments each week ARE excellent. Good, thoughtful dialogue – with some voices we haven’t necessarily heard before, in the mix. I thought she was a little tiring at first, but at the recommendation of a friend, I gave her another chance and I’m glad I did.

• December 8, 2012 at 8:20 pm

She won’t always be perfect but she’s smart, funny, and progressive. Not every segment is for me but I enjoy her dialogue and banter with some guests who aren’t always the recycled folk from the day shows. So tired of Karen Finney, Capehart, et al.

December 8, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Yes, there’s a good lineup of guests – most with very interesting takes on the topics du jour!

18. December 8, 2012 at 10:56 am

Saturday: The President has no public events scheduled

Tuesday and Wednesday: The President will attend meetings at the White House

Thursday: The President will host a Hanukkah reception at the White House

Friday: The President will attend meetings at the White House

19. 87 dudette9t9
    December 8, 2012 at 11:01 am

Off to go walk in the park with the nephew and cousins visiting, do some grocery shopping, then get started with Christmas decorations. Everyone have a splendid Saturday! Catch ya later!

20. 88 Ceb
    December 8, 2012 at 11:02 am

Good morning, Chips. Hope you saw my comments on the last thread about the “sing” video.

Good morning TOD ohana. It’s a wonderful world with PBO in the White House for another four years.

December 8, 2012 at 11:05 am

“They spotted Mitt Romney at Costco. One day you’re running for president f the United States. The next day you’re shopping at Costco for giant jugs of mayonnaise. While you’re at Costco, go ahead and return that Oval rug you ordered” –David Letterman

“Mitt Romney got a job at a Marriott hotel. President Obama’s trying to stop us from going over the fiscal cliff. Mitt Romney is trying to stop people from stealing towels.” –David Letterman

December 8, 2012 at 11:07 am

“A record number of people are naming their babies after Apple products. It’s the perfect way to tell your newborn, ‘We’re planning to replace you in 6 months.'” –Conan O’Brien

flaky applebots.

December 8, 2012 at 11:08 am

Mitt Romney is going back to work. Romney is joining the board of directors at Marriott hotels. See, who says President Obama can’t create jobs? There’s one right there. –Jay Leno

24. 94 mtmarilyn
    December 8, 2012 at 11:08 am

Good morning Ms Chips and all TOD family!!! We have a beautiful morning here in MT. 6 inches of fresh snow!!!!! It was so wonderful watching it come down last night, big soft flakes. I love the cold and snow. That why I live in MT.

Oh Chips, I love the Sing video. I have played it at least 6 times. It makes my heart sing!!!!!

Now to go back and read Rise & Shine!

December 8, 2012 at 11:11 am

Chelsea is making me ridiculously happy sing like a bird today. Up 3. Goooooooooo BLUES!

December 8, 2012 at 11:14 am

One particular Christmas season a long time ago, Santa was getting ready for is annual trip, but there were problems everywhere. Four of his elves got sick, and the trainee elves did not produce the toys as fast as the regular ones so Santa was beginning to feel the pressure of being behind schedule. Then Mrs. Claus told Santa that her mom was coming to visit. This stressed Santa even more.
    Original Bad Santa with Axe
    [Pin It]

When he went to harness the reindeer, he found that three of them were about to give birth and two had jumped the fence and were out, heaven knows where. More stress.

Then when he began to load the sleigh one of the boards cracked, and the toy bag fell to the ground and scattered the toys. So, frustrated, Santa went into the house for a cup of apple cider and a shot of rum.

When he went to the cupboard, he discovered that the elves had drank all the liquor. In his frustration, he accidentally dropped the cider pot, and it broke into hundreds of little pieces all over the kitchen floor. He went to get the broom and found that mice had eaten the straw end of the broom.

Just then the doorbell rang, and irritable Santa trudged to the door. He opened the door, and there was a little angel with a great Christmas tree.

The angel said, very cheerfully, “Merry Christmas, Santa. Isn’t it a lovely day? I have a beautiful tree for you. Where would you like me to stick it?”

Thus began the tradition of the little angel on top of the Christmas tree.

27. 101 carolyn
    December 8, 2012 at 11:28 am

I want to give a progress report on my husband’s heart condition. I wrote last week that he was in the hospital and had an ICD implanted….a combo pacemaker and defibrillator. I am thrilled to report that his condition improves every day, his strength is returning, and he is feeling better than he has for several months. We know there is a lengthy true recovery period, but he is in good health (except for a funky heart) and is following doctor’s orders to a Tee! I am so thankful and appreciative of the kind comments and concern expressed here.
    I am also thankful for Medicare and Tricare for Life (military retirees supplement). As I tell everyone I can, “This is what every American should have.”
    Now, we are anticipating a joyful Christmas with family, quiet, but joyful. Today I’m actually going to do some Christmas decorating and preparing my exams for next week.

December 8, 2012 at 11:35 am

Great news Carolyn

December 8, 2012 at 11:35 am

Thanks for the update and indeed this is very good news carolyn! Hope your husband continues to improve steadily and that you and your family are able to have a wonderful Christmas holiday. :)

• 104 amk for obama
      December 8, 2012 at 11:37 am

That’s fantastic news.

• 106 utaustinliberal
      December 8, 2012 at 11:59 am

This is wonderful news Carolyn. So happy for you and your family. Hope your husband continues to improve in leaps and bounds.

December 8, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Wonderful news!!

• 108 Alycee (@jazziz2)
      December 8, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Carolyn, So happy to hear hubby is doing well; your family is Blessed! I agree with you about Medicare/T4L — in October, I was attending a conference two hours from home and had an allergy induced asthma attack. Spent four days in the hospital and the only cost was $18.00 for discharge prescriptions. Like you, I believe that this is what every American should have, which is why I fought so hard for ObamaCare — it’s the first step to single payer.

• December 8, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Fantastic news, Carolyn. Thank you for sharing it with us. Will keep all of you in my thoughts.

• 110 proudmemberofglobalzero
      December 8, 2012 at 1:47 pm

So happy to hear that Carolyn. We wish him a speedy recovery to his full potential.

• 111 theo67
      December 8, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Excellent news, Carolyn – “Happy Holidays”, indeed!

• 112 susanne
      December 8, 2012 at 2:32 pm

so glad to hear your news, carolyn!

• 113 carolmaewy
      December 8, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Very good news! Hope it continues for your family. Enjoy the Holidays.

• 114 Betsy
      December 8, 2012 at 4:19 pm

GREAT news Carolyn! So happy for your husband and you especially this close to Christmas.

• 115 jackiegrumbacher
      December 8, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Oh, Carolyn, that’s wonderful news. You must be breathing a big sigh of relief. Love and hugs to you and your familyl.

• 116 HZ
        December 8, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Carolyn, this is great news. Thanks for sharing the update. I hope and pray that continued goodness that is entering your space. Great blessings indeed. I hope that your holidays will be filled with joyfulness and much love with your family and friends. ((((((((( Lots of love and peace, Carolyn.))))))))))HZ

• 117 Judith Fardig
      December 8, 2012 at 11:52 pm

So relieved to hear that your husband is doing well. We have exactly your health insurance and wish all Americans had access to such comprehensive coverage for a reasonable price. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

December 8, 2012 at 11:29 am

One day in early September the chief of a Native American tribe was asked by his tribal elders if the winter that year was going to be cold or mild. The chief asked his medicine man, but he too had lost touch with the reading signs from the natural world around the Great Lakes.

In truth, neither of them had idea about how to predict the coming winter. However, the chief decided to take a modern approach, and the chief rang the National Weather Service in Gaylord Michigan.

‘Yes, it is going to be a cold winter,’ the meteorological officer told the chief. Consequently, he went back to his tribe and told the men to collect plenty of firewood.

A fortnight later the chief called the Weather Service and asked for an update. ‘Are you still forecasting a cold winter?’ he asked.

‘Yes, very cold’, the weather officer told him.

As a result of this brief conversation, the chief went back to the tribe and told his people to collect every bit of wood they could find.

A month later the chief called the National Weather Service once more and asked about the coming winter. ‘Yes,’ he was told, ‘it is going to be one of the coldest winters ever.’

‘How can you be so sure?’ the chief asked.

The weatherman replied: ‘Because the Native Americans of the Great Lakes are collecting wood like crazy.’

December 8, 2012 at 11:31 am

Freddie and John were fortunate enough to have a season ticket to watch Chelsea. They could not help noticing that there was always a spare seat next (B14) to them and they had a friend who would love to buy a season ticket, especially if all three could have seats together.

One half-time Freddie went to the ticket office and asked if they could by buy the season ticket for B14. The official said that unfortunately the ticket had been sold. Nevertheless, week after week the seat was still empty.

Then on Boxing day, much to Freddie and Eddie’s amazement the seat was taken for the first time that season. John could not resist asking the newcomer, ‘Where have you been all season’. Don’t ask he said, the wife bought the season ticket back last summer, and kept it for a surprise Christmas present.

December 8, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Are you making fun of me, Amk? That is sooo like what i would do, because I shopped early, then forgot what I bought except that I know I got something for ‘everyone’. :lol: :lol:

• 124 theo67
      December 8, 2012 at 2:26 pm

This one actually deserved a “wimmin/smh”! Yikes! :)

30. December 8, 2012 at 11:35 am

Good morning!

POTUS playing football in Hawaii :-). I am so happy they are heading home for the holidays!

• 126 Vicki Green
      December 8, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Wow! What a fun video, loved it.

• 127 susanne
      December 8, 2012 at 2:39 pm

can’t wait for the first family to arrive in hawaii! they deserve the most relaxing, fun, rejuvenating, inspiring vacation ever! and it’s wonderful to see pbo with bare feet and bare chest–i don’t mean that in a ‘naughty mat’ way, people! he’s a hawaii boy, and running around on the beach in just shorts, a cap, and sunglasses is ‘no ka oe’ (the best!) :)

• 128 Betsy
      December 8, 2012 at 4:27 pm

LOVE this. Thanks so much for posting this.

• 129 carolmaewy
      December 8, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Thanks for posting the great video. I’ve been admiring Chips Clips before I started posting. It was extra special for me because I’m a huge Denver Bronco fan!
      It also reminded me of the stupid posts I see from FB friends complaining about his Hawaiian vacation. After surfing the web today I found a video of the Pres and First Lady honoring those who perished at Pearl Harbor last year on 70th anniversary. So now I can relay that information too. He does do presidential work in Hawaii. It is a state! I’m trying to be nice to them.

• 130 Judith Fardig
      December 8, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Yummy!

December 8, 2012 at 11:35 am

December 8, 2012 at 11:42 am

December 8, 2012 at 11:49 am

On Christmas eve, the man thought it would be nice to buy his wife a little gift for the next day. Always short of money, he thought long and hard about what that present might be’

Unable to decide, he goes to a big store and in the cosmetics section he asked the girl, ‘How about some perfume?’ She showed him a bottle costing $150

‘Too expensive,’ muttered the man.

The young lady returned with a smaller bottle for $50. ‘Oh dear,’ the man groused, ‘still far too much.’

Growing rather annoyed at the man’s meanness, the sales girl brought out a tiny $10 bottle and offered it to him.

The man became really agitated, ‘What I mean is’, he whined, ‘ I’d like to see something really cheap.’

So the sales girl handed him a mirror.

December 8, 2012 at 11:49 am

Gunnite folks.

December 8, 2012 at 12:13 pm

• December 8, 2012 at 12:46 pm

• 143 Vicki Green
        December 8, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Ezra Klein speaks for Wash Post/Bloomberg View. 1% all the way. I’m not sure why we should pay any attetion to him at all. Even if he is young smart and wonky. He plays for the other side.

• December 8, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Hi Vicki, I don’t ‘pay attention’ to him, but when an opportunity presents itself to let him know he’s part of the problem, I’m always happy to oblige :)

#FORWARD

• 145 Chi
            December 8, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Ezra Klein masquerading as a faux number-crunching, smart ‘progressive’ is in indeed a part of the problem…

Ezra is a soul-less opportunist who has leveraged an opening into a well-paid gig shilling, blocking and depressing on behalf of his corporate masters at the Washington Post and Bloomberg…

December 8, 2012 at 2:22 pm

He’s a huge part of the disinformation campaign being waged by the media. And as you noted, even if he may be “smart” or “wonky” his inexperience when it comes to politics and life in general comes through many times, the most recent of which was his erroneous prediction about the jobs report on Friday. Therefore when we pushback on his academic musings, it’s not just paying him attention – we are

December 8, 2012 at 2:23 pm

correcting misinformation and educating people, thereby inoculating them against the false and agenda-driven hysteria of the professional left and MSM.

• 148 Vicki Green
              December 8, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Got it HF and Bob. Let’s spread the views that are correct and helpful and fight back against Ezra and his ilk.

• 149 Vicki Green
            December 8, 2012 at 4:07 pm

How horrifying that the huge disinformation campaign is being broadcast on Rachel’s show.

36. 150 Soca Sweet
    December 8, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Hi Dudette,

Don’t know if you saw my message on the last thread. Thank you very much for the Jimmy Fallon video.

37. December 8, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Tell ‘em, Nancy!! From WaPo:

Asked Friday if she was satisfied with her communication with the White House, Pelosi said congressional Democrats and the president have been in close touch.

“I don’t necessarily talk about when and how many times I speak to the president, but I’m very satisfied with the communication that I have with the president,” she said, adding that their staffs speak and Rep. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.), a lead Democrat on budget issues, is also in close communication with the White House.

“The president knows our views; he shares our values. We feel confident in any negotiation that he takes the lead in,” she said.

• 153 debz
      December 8, 2012 at 12:44 pm

The PL are trying to use the fact that Pelosi met with the President as some proof that PBO is “selling out” the “Progressives” and Nancy went to the WH to set POTUS straight. Of course the President and Nancy have been in close touch, they have to deal with the TGOP in the house. Why do the PL have to question the President’s motives all of the time, he hasn’t even started his second term yet.

• December 8, 2012 at 12:53 pm

The PL are fully proud of their tactic of constant never-ending distrust at all times. It’s a tried and true strategy for them as well as a general attitude and demeanor. But they have outlived their stay and except for the press, I think most of us just don’t listen to their tripe anymore.

• 155 debz
          December 8, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Their constant outrage is as bad as the tea party loons. I have had to avoid watching any cable tv shows and even some of my favorite blogs to avoid them.

• 158 COS
          December 8, 2012 at 1:44 pm

THIS!!!!! And their favorite leader is Bernie Sanders. I use to listen to what he had to say. He should make a recording because he says the same thing over and over. I am sure he means well, but he really pisses me off when he talks about gathering signatures and writing a letter to PBO. I detest his mistrust in PBO.

December 8, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Glad I’m not the only one who feels that way, COS, although I also respect Bernie and follow many of his points … but I just tune out with the endless barbs about what PBO should do, as though only Bernie and his PL peeps know the correct path. (Yes, I’m as sensitive as you are!) He’s a U.S. Senator; can’t he call the White House once in a while, for a private chat? Does it make him feel important to air the same grievances every minute? One-note-wonder, methinks. Of course, PBO already knows what he has to say. Probably tunes him out, too.

• 162 carolmaewy
        December 8, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Hi Debz, new here. Would you please tell me what PL means? Just throwing out there progressive Liberal?

38. December 8, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Good day everyone :)

Yes We Did

39. 166 Nena20409
    December 8, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Morning all….checking in. East Coasters….Afternoon all.
    Hello TODville Villagers from across the Whole Wide World.

Number..102?

40. December 8, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Please keep Nelson Mandela in your thoughts and prayers.

JOHANNESBURG, Dec 8 (Reuters) – Former South African president Nelson Mandela has been admitted to hospital for tests, the government said on Saturday.

It gave no details but said in a statement there was no cause for alarm about the health of the 94-year-old anti-apartheid leader.

41. December 8, 2012 at 12:57 pm

#SonOfBossMitt returns to the scene of the crime …

We Don’t Forget

42. December 8, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Syria …

43. 177 57andfemale
    December 8, 2012 at 2:20 pm

OT but I still need to rant: some ‘free market’. In the city of Chicago, I have my choice of creaky, awful AT&T that has to fix my phone and/or internet at least three times/year (this time they really found the problem — honest). Or Comcast, who can’t get the order right – twice.

No internet or phone for three days. Because it’s ‘damp’ outside. Seriously?

Let’s privatize some more, shall we? Enrich shareholders and screw the customer.

Done with rant.

December 8, 2012 at 3:20 pm

I remember when they broke up the AT&T monopoly and somebody called to see if I wanted to switch, and I said, “That would be like leaving the church” (the caller had no sense of humor, I might add). I swear it was all better back then, under the monopoly – the only game in town. Seems worse now that they have to “compete,” because they’re really just competing for the almighty dollar and not, necessarily, to be known for better customer service. I can’t speak for AT&T, now, because I’ve used other companies for quite a while, after I “left the church.” But that’s just my take. Hang in there!

• 179 57andfemale
        December 9, 2012 at 9:57 am

It was better under teh monopoly because it was considered a public utility with a series of responsibilties. Now everything’s a free-for-all, all for the benefit of stockholders. There is a difference between shopping for a toaster and having a utility upon which the public depends. AT &T has done nothing to improve its equipment. It’s outrageous that we’re stuck with only two choices in a city like Chicago. The special expectations and requirements of public utilities were ended under Reagan. This is the damage done when everything is considered the same as a consumer product. Same problem with health care. Can you actually shop for price when it comes to consuming health care?

Have I mentioned I loathe Republicans?

December 9, 2012 at 10:49 am

Have I mentioned I agree with you?

But when I think of my loathing, foaming-at-the-mouth loathing, I still remember to turn to that old truth: We won the White House for President Obama, AGAIN!

44. December 8, 2012 at 2:31 pm

• 182 carolmaewy
      December 8, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Please, please, that would help a lot! Thanks for tweeting.

• 183 a4alice
      December 8, 2012 at 9:45 pm

My husband was just talking about this idea to me a couple of days ago and I hadn’t thought of it before. He said that many people wait for their medicare to kick in to get something looked at and by that time people have waited to the point where their condition is more expensive to treat. I think it sounds like a good idea.

45. December 8, 2012 at 2:32 pm

• 185 carolmaewy
      December 8, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Hope it’s ok to post my letter to Sen. Enzi who voted against the Treaty for Disabled. He hasn’t replied yet.
      You dishonored your city, county, state, the US Senate and America when you voted NO on the Treaty for the Disabled. You will have to live with that vote. Sen. Dole will have to live with your vote. If/when Sen. Dole dies, don’t even think of rising to speak in his honor. Today was your day to honor Sen. Dole. Now I will tell my son how his old soccer coach voted today. Did you shout out NO loud and clear so everyone in the Senate chambers could hear your pride in saying NO?

We have kids close in age to Enzi and I’m an old soccer mom. ;) what do you think of my letter. I’m use to criticism!

December 8, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Short and to the point, Carolmae, so the senator can’t miss that you were not impressed with his position. Nice you took the time to write him and I hope others in the states of the dissenting jokers will do the same. BTW, we like when contact info is posted at TOD because it helps to motivate others and provides a model for others to become involved. Thanks.

• December 8, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Excellent letter. Thank you for sharing it!

• 190 majiir
        December 8, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I read that when it was time to vote, these odious creatures refused to say out loud how they planned to vote, carol. They were afraid that the C-span mics would pick up their voices, so they whispered their votes or indicated how they were voting by using hand gestures. These toads knew they were doing the wrong thing because they didn’t want to say how they were voting out loud. This is a group of stupid individuals, imo, because they thought that if they voted “no” without saying anything out loud, we wouldn’t know they voted against the treaty.

• 191 carolmaewy
          December 8, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Thanks for the tidbit that I didn’t know Majir. It is actually a personal reference to him from me. ;) He was Mayor of the city we live near. Actually a town by definition. He was well known for his booming voice at sporting events. He was also coach of my oldest son’s youth soccer team. His voice roared in our “Castle of Chaos”. My oldest son had moved away when he was elected senator. When I told him he said, “does his voice echo in the chamber?” ;)

December 8, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Pre-emptive hysteria and media posing to make it seem as though he was the one responsible for “pushing” PBO into doing this. I’ve seen this movie before.

• 194 Chi
        December 8, 2012 at 10:34 pm

I think Guiterrez wants undeserved credit when President Obama gets immigration done…

He’s just another one of those lousy, lazy, loudmouth, self-serving opportunists who just insinuates himself into things he’s really had not much to do with…

• December 8, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Probably because PBO and his team are already way out in front on the issue, df :)

“President Obama will “begin an all-out drive for comprehensive immigration reform, including seeking a path to citizenship for 11 million illegal immigrants,” after Congress addresses the fiscal cliff, the Los Angeles Times reports. The revelation comes just as a top Hispanic Democrat, Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-IL), is calling on Obama to step-up his involvement on the issue and engage in discussions with lawmakers.

The Obama administration’s “social media blitz” will start in January and is expected “to tap the same organizations and unions that helped get a record number of Latino voters to reelect the president.””

Oh, yes, going #FORWARD is not going to look anything like 2010 :)

Yes We Can

• 196 HZ
        December 8, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Thank you, Bobfr. You are so correct in your thoughts on this, Bobfr. They always think that just because they get on tv and try to tell POB what to do is the proper thing to do. They have yet to learn that they do not move POB to move. POB will listen to all, but he will Not allow people to ‘play’ him or tell him like his is their “boy” in the White House. He does not like that in people at all. It is very rude and very disrespectful in his mind. They will learn Bigtime this next term, believe me.

I hate it when some of (we know who) get on tv with their programs etc., ranting and ranting on about what POB should be doing. I hate this, but they will learn. He will not take too much more of this from them. And frankly, I am sure so many of us will stand up and let call them on these ugly disrespectful actions. Enough is Enough now.HZ

December 8, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Because Guiterrez think POTUS should jump when he says jump. I can’t stand the guy.

46. December 8, 2012 at 2:53 pm

• December 8, 2012 at 3:52 pm

We will have to wait and see specifically what he’s going to roll back but for now that’s good news. Morsi botched things about as bad as you can get.

47. 200 susanne
    December 8, 2012 at 3:09 pm

sam wang takes on filibuster reform—welcome back sam!

48. 201 susanne
    December 8, 2012 at 3:21 pm

not only was myth himself a myth, but the outsourcing trend he pioneered–supposedly a way for businesses to make more money–was also a myth. made him rich, yes, but the businesses are bringing their production back to america, so that the businesses can make money. excellent article from the atlantic.

‘ What is only now dawning on the smart American companies, says Lenzi, is that when you outsource the making of the products, “your whole business goes with the outsourcing.” Which raises a troubling but also thrilling prospect: the offshoring rush of the past decade or more—one of the signature economic events of our times—may have been a mistake.
    ~
    “There was a herd mentality to the offshoring,” says John Shook, a manufacturing expert and the CEO of the Lean Enterprise Institute, in Cambridge, Massachusetts. “And there was some bullshit. But it was also the inability to see the total costs—the engineers in the U.S. and factory managers in China who can’t talk to each other; the management hours and money flying to Asia to find out why the quality they wanted wasn’t being delivered. The cost of all that is huge.”
    ~
    In fact, insourcing solves a whole bundle of problems—it simplifies transportation; it gives people confidence in the competitive security of their ideas; it lets companies manage costs with real transparency and close to home; it means a company can be as nimble as it wants to be, because the Pacific Ocean isn’t standing in the way of getting the right product to the right customer.

Many offshoring decisions were based on a single preoccupation—cheap labor. The labor was so cheap, in fact, that it covered a multitude of sins in other areas. The approach to bringing jobs back has been much more thoughtful. Jobs are coming back not for a single, simple reason, but for many intertwined reasons—which means they won’t slip away again when one element of the business, or the economy, changes. ‘

• December 8, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Thanks Suzanne. Great article. This is all PBO and his team laying the foundation for sustained permanent growth which focuses on manufacturing. Something that people like Romney on the right and Robert Reich on the left scoffed at and actively took part in its demise. Talk about a seismic shift.

December 8, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Pretty awesome.

p.s. Luis Gutierrez is so annoying.

The Obama administration’s “social media blitz” will start in January and is expected “to tap the same organizations and unions that helped get a record number of Latino voters to reelect the president.” Cabinet secretaries and lawmakers from both parties are already holding initial meetings to iron out the details of the proposal:

Cabinet secretaries are preparing to make the case for how changes in immigration laws could benefit businesses, education, healthcare and public safety. Congressional committees could hold hearings on immigration legislation as soon as late January or early February. […]
    In conversations with congressional offices, White House officials have said the president would be “all in” on the issue and would want to push for a broad bill. But officials have not been specific about exactly how the president will use the bully pulpit or whether immigration will be a showpiece of the inaugural speech on Jan. 21 or the State of the Union address in early February. […]
    A bipartisan group of six senators met behind closed doors in the Capitol for 30 minutes on Tuesday night for what is expected to be the first of many meetings on how to get a version of the immigration bill through Congress. On the Republican side, the newly elected junior senator from Arizona, Jeff Flake, joined longtime immigration reform advocates Graham and John McCain of Arizona for the talks. The Democrats were Schumer, Robert Menendez of New Jersey and Richard J. Durbin of Illinois.

December 8, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Excellent news. I’m of the suspicion that Guitierrez knew about this and decided to jump on TV ahead of this announcement to make himself seem relevant. I’m sick of these poseurs. No wonder they aren’t respected in the communities they claim to represent. PBO will get this done with or without Gutierrez’s “help.”

• 205 theo67
      December 8, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Gutierrez is all about the publicity stunts (remember chaining himself to the White House gates?), but he seems very ineffective at actually getting stuff done. What has he done to convince his fellow Congress-people – who actually VOTE on the legislation he so desires – to start making movements towards comprehensive immigration reform? The President has spoken at length on the topic (including his State of the Union addresses), committing to signing a bill into law, used his presidential prerogative to provide temporary relief to the DREAMer kids. What has Gutierrez done? …except get air time on TV, of course.

December 8, 2012 at 4:18 pm

December 8, 2012 at 4:29 pm

So disappointed in so called supporters of Pres. Obama on Twitter. Ezra Klein – who called the jobs report wrong by the way. He said it would be horrible….ummm….Derp much? – with his stupid unnamed sources says Pres. Obama is going to cave to the republicans, give them everything they want, and raise the Medicare eligibility age and what do some so called supporters do based on this lack of evidence, based on nothing by Pres. Obama, based on nothing by the administration? They begin freaking out and sending shouty tweets to Pres. Obama. “How dare you cave to the GOP?” “How dare you raise the Medicare eligibility age?” “What the hell was the election about?”

Time and time again so called supporters fall victim to these ridiculous postings by “journalists” aka carnival barkers. It wasn’t quite two weeks ago they were threatening hellfire and brimstone because “journalists” (*cough cough* Ed Schultz) claimed Pres. Obama was going to “cave” on making the top 2% pay higher taxes. You’d think that someone who won two elections despite all the odds, successfully got through more legislation (a lot of them historic) than countless numbers of his predecessors, would be trusted to do the right thing and not continuously have his fairness bona fides, his smarts, and his intelligence questioned.

December 8, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Hear, Hear! I’ve been trying to be reasonable, but my patience for this kind of nonsense is wearing thin. It’s happening too frequently these days – almost every week now. These columnists (who couldn’t care less about the true middle-class) were a huge part of the unpopularity of the HCR – they saw it as their duty to spread as much negative (and misleading) information about the law – making it seem as though PBO had gotten the worst deal ever in the history of legislation because according to them, he supposedly caved to the Republicans on every count.

This kind of black-white thinking is so foolish and damaging to the progress in this country.When President Obama negotiated with BP to get $20B in compensation for oil spill victims, Rachel Maddow got on her high horse and performed her personal do-over “presidential speech.” When President Obama extended the Bush tax cuts in 2010 for a whole host of benefits, including DADT repeal, unemployment insurance extension, ratification of the START Treaty, etc., Bernie Sanders spent a glorious 8 hours acting out his useless drama scene in front of the cameras on the Senate floor.

Before the election a few months ago, none other than the same Ezra Klein penned a most ridiculous column – basically stating that unlike Obama – who was a relative failure as President, Mitt Romney had everything it took to be the right President at this time, only if he were a little more “likable.” I mean why are folks giving this guy so much credibility?!?!?!? He has never held any political office or ran a campaign. He has never managed any large governing entity or corporation. And especially relative to Barack Obama, Klein does not come remotely close.

• 209 utaustinliberal
        December 8, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Bravo! You nailed it.

• 210 nathkatun7
          December 8, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Thank you so much UT and HF for your excellent commentaries.

• 211 a4alice
          December 8, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Thanks UT and HF for telling me what it was about. I just logged onto twitter and saw all these moany looking tweets and I’m like “yikes a little whine with my cheese please”. So that’s what ‘s going on. sigh…

• 212 nathkatun7
        December 8, 2012 at 6:23 pm

By the way, Hopefruit2, Sen. Bernie Sanders, the darling of the holier than thou progressives, represents the second less populated state of the 50 states, Vermont, with a population of 626, 431. By contrast, President Obama has to govern in the interest of 311, 591, 917 people.

• 214 Vicki Green
        December 8, 2012 at 6:28 pm

HF2 and utAL are right, of course. It makes me sad that there are fewer and fewer places to trust. Rachel, Ed, Al and Lawrence went to the WH this week. Silly me, I thought that meant they were going to play fair, but Ezra filling in 3 times this week, well, you gotta wonder—-what exactly is the agenda?

• 215 majiir
          December 8, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I like watching Lawrence O’Donnell’s program, Vicki, but I don’t watch it when Ezra Klein is hosting it. There’s just something about his “I’m sure I’m right about this” attitude that turns me off. He reminds me of the gifted students I used to teach who were so sure that they knew everything about civics and had no need to complete the assignments they didn’t want to tackle. Some of them failed the class because of this attitude. No one knows everything, no matter how smart he/she is.

• 216 Chi
            December 8, 2012 at 10:48 pm

But who decided Ezra was ‘smart’ or ‘gifted’ Maj…

He’s yet to do or say anything that validates this meme about him…

Wearing goofy glasses, opining on behalf of corporate media and mouthing off at every turn, does not a smart of gifted person make…

The only ‘gift’ Ezra Klein has is that of an undeserved media spot and huge paycheck courtesy of the corporate masters who now own him, his pen and his mouth…

December 8, 2012 at 5:02 pm

There are times I’m glad I am not on twitter, and I do my best not to list to the people like Ezra Klein and others.

December 8, 2012 at 5:54 pm

What’s best for me is to ignore those Progressives, I got so dam fed up of all the Obama cave talk the last time and they are starting it up again already. I have had enough of them.

• 220 idon
      December 8, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I always trust the President. His process is always to play it close to the vest while other folks go out and spew to the media. I trust PBO. I will wait to hear what he has to say because he ALWAYS SPEAKS TRUTH TO CRAZY.

December 8, 2012 at 4:59 pm

53. December 8, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Afghan President Hamid Karzai on Saturday suggested he might be ready to grant American troops conditional immunity after 2014, a key U.S. demand that proved a deal breaker in Iraq.

Karzai said U.S. troops could remain immune from local prosecution after Afghan forces take over their country’s security if they respect the “sovereignty, laws and lives of Afghan people” and help equip Afghan forces, the Agence France-Presse reports. President Obama is considering leaving a 10,000-troop force in the country after the end of the NATO mission.
    “Once those conditions are fulfilled by the U.S. with us,” Karzai told reporters in Kabul, “Afghanistan is willing to consider immunity for them and I, as the president of Afghanistan, am willing to go to the Afghan people and put that case forward and try to argue for it.

“But before I do that, I must make sure that the U.S. respects Afghan sovereignty – that it doesn’t keep prisoners in Afghanistan in violation of agreement with us, that it doesn’t violate Afghans’ homes.”

December 8, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Last paragraphs of an Hill article stating that the GOP guys aren’t happy with the O admin strategy of taking #My2K to the people.

//…The White House has intensified their public outreach, asking individuals who might be affected to e-mail their lawmakers, write on their Facebook walls and even take to Twitter to discuss how a tax increase would impact their lives. Obama will continue that effort on Monday when he heads to Michigan.

A senior administration official said it’s part of an “effort to highlight the real world consequences but also engage middle class Americans across the country in an effort to prevent the tax increases on the middle class from taking effect.”

While visiting a toy factory last week, Obama acknowledged that people need to make their voices heard for Congress to act.

“I want the American people to urge Congress, soon,” Obama said. “The key there is that the American people have to be involved. We all know you can’t take anything for granted when it comes to Washington.”

55. 226 anniebella
    December 8, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Anyone know of the Dallas Cowboys player who was killed today? From what I hear he was riding with another Cowboys player who was driving drunk and they had some kind of accident which ended up killing the player in the passenger side.

56. 228 dotster3
    December 8, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Another horrific gun tragedy

• 229 99ts
      December 8, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Just an accident said the police – guns don’t kill, people do says the NRA – so not sure how it’s an accident. This is the real world where a large % of the population carry hand guns wherever they go. – and it is horrific – and it is sad – wonder if Dad will still be saying “guns don’t kill”.

57. 230 Don
    December 8, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Its not so much that President Obama accomplished so much in his first term, the problem is that the last Democratic President couldn’t accomplish in eight years what it took President Obama four years to accomplish. Krugman, Klein, and the rest of the Clinton nut-handlers still can’t figure out how Barack Obama accomplished so much without seeking their counsel. And for the last time you don’t achieve by happenstance once in a life time legislation like President Obama has achieved repeatedly.

• 231 Obama Grandmama
      December 8, 2012 at 8:27 pm

When we were in the first election Primary ’08 season campaign I remember looking up Barack Obama’s IL Senate voting records. I also remember reading a blog list composed of both his IL and US Senate records. There was also a side by side comparison of legislative records of both Hillary and Barack. It was SO impressive to see how much BHO accomplished in comparison. His legislative accomplishments were major for a shorter time period. Hers was minor achievements like holiday commemoratives, and namings with a few major accomplishments. Our PBO has been about getting a lot accomplished in short work for all of his legislative life. It is in his records. He works hard and plays hard. The latter is according to Mark Knoller’s tweets while the former is documented.

• December 8, 2012 at 9:25 pm

“Our PBO has been about getting a lot accomplished in short work for all of his legislative life. It is in his records. He works hard and plays hard. The latter is according to Mark Knoller’s tweets while the former is documented.”

So much gold in those 4 sentences of yours, mom!!! Simply > DAZZLING!!!! :)

#FORWARD

• 233 nathkatun7
        December 9, 2012 at 12:59 am

Bravo, Obama Grandmama! I am sure that future historians will agree with your assessment of PBO. By the way, when I was growing up my teachers emphasized the importance of physical activity as the key to maintaining a sound mind. I don’t remember any past President being implicitly criticized for getting out to play golf in order to clear their minds. Perhaps so called journalists like Mark Knoller need to engage in more outdoor physical activities to clear their minds of pettiness.

• 234 99ts
      December 8, 2012 at 10:42 pm

If Hilary Clinton had been elected in 2008, everything bad about the Bill Clinton administration would have been dragged out for the past 4 years. Senator Obama would have been the smartest liberal in congress.

• 235 Chi
        December 9, 2012 at 6:50 am

Absolutely spot on…

This weird tendency liberals/progressives have of perpetual disappointment with everything and everyone except of course failed candidates who they almost never really liked but tend to talk up subsequently – and mostly just to spite the guy in office…

There is also this completely bizarre and rather ironic tendency to romanticize and suddenly elevate to hero status failed candidates who previously had precious little in common with those now gushing and cheering them on…

Simple as this, if you can’t compete and win, you can’t do squat – and no amount of fake wistful longing from the permanently reliably unreliable noisemakers on the sidelines will ever change that fact…

And yet many ‘smart’ failed candidates still fall for the ‘if only we had you there instead’ cry…

I’m going to keep a close eye on how their current love affair with Elizabeth Warren plays out…

58. December 8, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Regarding the 7-year old boy killed by his father outside gun shop: WILL THIS EVER END????? It makes me sick and angry……SENSELESS!!!!

On another topic: Army-Navy game: I am always pulling for the Navy. (We are a Navy family–husband and son-in-law.) However, the way Army lost today was beyond heart breaking. I feel so bad for the Army quarterback. Can’t even feel happy about the Navy win today. :(

59. 238 yardarm756
    December 8, 2012 at 6:38 pm

60. 241 dotster3
    December 8, 2012 at 6:41 pm

This slideshow needs the very satisfying finale

• 242 susanne
      December 8, 2012 at 6:57 pm

nice pix, dotster. thanks. and yes, we now need the election night and inauguration photos!

• 243 idon
      December 8, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Love the pics but what the hell is that thing under the secret service agent’s (his body man) shirt sleeve? It’s the pic where the sweet little old lady gets way too close the president.

61. 244 andogriff
    December 8, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Hello everyone! I’m LATE today, but have read almost everything… Ms Chips, the SING video is spectacular, thanks so much!

62. 245 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    December 8, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Reminder — NOW on HGTV: White House Christmas (Past) and at 8:00 pm EST this year’s White House Christmas.

December 8, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Hey guys, right now on HGTV they’re doing two hours of white house christmases and they’re going to be focusing on First Lady Michelle Obama and what her theme for 2012’s white house decorations are. It’s fun so far.

December 8, 2012 at 7:05 pm

If anyone’s interested, “White House Christmas 2012″ (the Christmas decorations special) will be on HGTV in an hour (8 E / 7 C).

65. 255 susanne
    December 8, 2012 at 7:16 pm

santa is your u.p.s. man :)

66. 260 Bill
    December 8, 2012 at 7:21 pm

A letter in the New York Times gives an excellent succinct overview of the Republican 48% vote. 25% vote by reflex without any intellectual process, 20% believe all of the “bovine excrement rhetoric from demagogues” like Rush, Glenn, and FOX, and 3% actually think the GOP economic ideas are better.

67. December 8, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Why was I just kicked off an Obama FB page for commenting that Sasha seemed to have a phony ponytail in a picture?! Until today I naively believed there weren’t any Crazy Obama supporters. Only crazy rethuglicans!! I am just outdone! Made me thankful once again for the Obama Diary. Here we can speak freely without others questioning our level of respect and support for the President and his family….Words of advice: don’t let the TOD fool ya! You gotta be careful in the cyberObama world too!!

December 8, 2012 at 7:32 pm

They were right to kick you off the page, and you are being disrespectful in your current post here as well. I’m surprised your comment got past moderation on this site….

• 266 idon
      December 8, 2012 at 8:19 pm

The unspoken rule is NEVER EVER comment on the Obama girls. I have commented on them once or twice to say how beautiful and poised they are in the context of what a wonderful job the First Parents are doing. Beyond that? NOTHING NADA EVAR!! And I agree. They were right to kick you off. To me, the Obamas are American royalty and it is not in good taste or polite to make personal comments about them, especially the children.

December 8, 2012 at 8:37 pm

I have seen comments about the girls such as “Malia is getting so tall” or “Sasha is such a ham” and I think those kinds of comments are fine. However, Robin’s “phony” comment in reference to Sasha seemed disparaging in tone. The word “phony” suggests that there is something dishonorable about the character or taste of the person whom the comment was made about. It’s not a casual or neutral statement.

• 269 dotster3
        December 8, 2012 at 8:48 pm

My opinion is that the conversation does not need to be that restricted. There have been hundreds—-thousands?—-of comments about the girls, what they’re wearing, how fast they’re growing, their general appearances and yes, I remember comments on their hairstyles. Altho I gather hair is a touchy subject. (Gabby Douglas) I think the problem referenced here was the negative “phony” word. All other comments have been positive in nature, understandably. And it’s just my opinion, but I don’t like the royalty connotation. I don’t think of the Obama family as that removed from all of us. I think of them as part of us. They’re our family, our wonderful, familiar, much loved First Family.

December 8, 2012 at 9:08 pm

I agree doster – But I don’t think the hair reference was the issue. If Robin had said, “Sasha appears to have an extension” I don’t think she would have gotten banned. The word “phony” used in reference to any other person or thing is disparaging. It conveys a dishonorable intent to deceive or mislead.

• December 8, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Possibly not the most felicitous phrase but I don’t see that it proves bad intent. I agree the girls are off-limits to negative comments but this just doesn’t seem so negative to me.

December 8, 2012 at 9:29 pm

The word phony has a bad connotation and is intended to convey deceit, and Robin’s “Crazy Obama supporters” comment here was just as problematic in my opinion.

Don’t you find any of the following statements negative?

1. Joe Biden’s smile is phony
              2. Barack Obama’s speech is phony
              3. Michelle Obama’s hug is phony.

December 8, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Also, there is more than a hint of hostility towards “Obama supporters” in Robin’s post here- suggesting that her “phony” comment deserved the reaction it received.

December 8, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I agree hopefruit2 and dotster3.

• December 8, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Hi Hopefruit- my comment referenced “crazy Obama supporters” –not anyone here.

December 8, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I understand that. But it would appear from your post that anyone who objects to seemingly disparaging comments made about the members of the First Family would be dubbed “crazy Obama supporter.” That would cover approx 90% of posters on TOD.

• December 8, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Thanks for your comments everyone. I guess the problem is that many people are not familiar with the term “phony pony”. My daughter and her friends often wear them on special occasions. We never use the term disrespectfully or even thought of it in that way. To me and others it is no different than saying someone is cute or tall or adorable. I was just taken back that someone actually took offensive to it. I mean, Beyonce wears fake hair, but I still think she’s talented and beautiful…..oh and, I don’t know if it was fake hair or not, doesn’t really matter to me. I love those girls just the same…like I said, here people express their thoughts in a respectful manner and don’t try to berate you just because they don’t agree with your comment…not so much everywhere else!!

December 8, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Then you should have made that clearer in your comment – that was not clear at all by your post, which unfortunately was mostly about the reaction of “crazy Obama supporters” than the context under which you referred to the ponytail.

Perhaps the moderators on the FB page also misunderstood your comment thinking it was a generic “phony” comment, and not a slang term. As you can see, my objection was not about the hair, it was about the use of the word “phony.” And You yourself mention that people may not be familiar with the term “phony pony. ” Well I certainly wasn’t and from the comments of other posters, this term is not universally understood in the way you meant it.

• December 8, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Exactly Hopefruit. That’s why people should try to understand others before attacking them. Thus, the use of the term “crazy Obama supporters”. Crazy repubs attack in ignorance.

December 8, 2012 at 10:11 pm

False equivalence.

• 284 amk for obama
                  December 8, 2012 at 10:19 pm

hair-splitting moments, eh? :)

• 286 Chi
                  December 8, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Why do I get a funny feeling that ‘Robin’ is looking for a space to do some of that very suspect act of pretending to love the Obamas while snidely nitpicking and dissing them…

I for one hope TOD never becomes a welcome place for folks looking to do some of that sly anti-Obama stuff that is largely defended as ‘not burying their heads in the sand’…

December 8, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Chi, you and me both. I have seen numerous pics of Sasha, and in not one of them did I think she was wearing fake hair. Robin gives very few details about the context of the comment and how she came to make it. But she’s building her “rebuttal” as she goes along based on questions being raised. Secondly, the quickness to liken Obama supporters to “crazy” “ignorant” Republicans is very suspect in my opinion.

• December 9, 2012 at 12:08 am

I don’t know why you are getting that feeling. It’s not the case. I was just sharing my experience with TOD and letting others on here know to beware. Much like when I shared stories about knocking on doors, making calls, making donations and working as a precinct delegate to get Pres. Obama reelected ALL while my husband was recovering from major back surgery.

• 289 Chi
                      December 9, 2012 at 4:47 am

Hey Robin, I happen to be one of those extremely crazy Obama supporters…

I am incredibly protective of them and remain very uncomfortable, suspicious and disapproving of folks who insist they must be allowed to ‘speak freely’ without others ‘questioning their level of respect and support for the President and his family’…

I’ve always been of the opinion that ‘supporting’ the President, and even ‘knocking on doors, making calls, making donations and working as a percent delegate’ still does not give anyone the right to deconstruct the President and his family…

The President, his wife and minor children are still very much entitled to respect and a degree of privacy…

And this idea that they are public property on display for all to pick apart, opine on, deconstruct, or whatever tickles the fancy of the onlooker – and only because their father and husband holds public office – is bizarre…

So beyond the acceptable generic form of appreciation – pretty, nice, lovely, etc, I too would ban anyone who forgets the Obamas bleed blood and cry tears and are probably as uncomfortable and unappreciative of attempts to deconstruct their minor daughters…

But but that’s just me…

• 290 dotster3
            December 8, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Sorry that your comment was misunderstood—-I’m outta the loop on phony pony—–as are others, I presume. Thanks for clarifying.

• 291 nathkatun7
            December 8, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I wish you would abide by the golden rule you want other people to apply to you. You had no problem calling people who found your comment distasteful “crazy Obama supporters” who are no different from “rethuglicans.” To be honest, I found your negative comment on a child’s hair distasteful and uncalled for. I suppose that makes me a “crazy Obama supporter.”

• 292 idon
          December 8, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I didn’t mean to suggest they were removed from us. I was only trying to convey that we hold them in such high regard. As for comments that have been made about the girls, e.g. height or behavior, I just think if it isn’t blatantly positive, keep it to yourself. Of course your mileage may vary.

• December 8, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Hi Idon- I think you have stated that well. It probably did come across as impolite. That want my intent, but I can understand that. Thanks for your perspective.

December 8, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Robin – I was reading all this from the bottom up, and finally found your original comment. I think the way you handled all of the replies on TOD (and, of course, I have no idea what happened on FB), in response to your post here, was very appropriate. You were able to see both sides, in a mature way. If I had read your post about the ponytail first, I personally would have missed the negative. May I just say – something you know already – all of us have been so crazed with all of the last five years’ (’07-’12) being filled with nothing but negative comments about not only the President but his entire family. Maybe it just hit people negatively because of that angst, which we’re trying to recover from, which is difficult at best and isn’t gone yet.

I’d just say #CarryOn and keep supporting the President, as you have been doing. Soon, we’ll have the Inauguration to watch, and I can’t wait!

68. 300 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    December 8, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Great day, today!!!!! Love my mailman! He rang my bell to hand deliver my mail — my WH Christmas Card arrived!!!!

December 8, 2012 at 7:50 pm

70. December 8, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Missed the first hour and I am going to watch the 8pm special. I have to remember: DVR is my best friend.

A mini rant: the firebaggers. They don’t seem to understand that we Obama supporters are most annoyed at their assumption of bad faith regarding Obama’s intentions-that he’s really Ronald Reagan (his bad side( returned, and that only loudly saying it will prevent Obama from enacting his bad ideas. They think we are terrible because we trust Obama to do the right thing, or at least make an honest effort to do the right thing.

Never mind that he hasn’t done those things yet, and never will. Never mind that he is hardly a corporatist-this is a man who gave up the opportunity for a multi-million dollar career with some corporation to serve the neediest and most disempowered for a wage that would have been a monthly wage as a corporate attorney. A corporatist tool never would have gone into politics, let alone become active with community leaders in a place where the pay was low and prospects bleack.

Chipsticks, I’m going Inauguration Crazy again. Can you do a special post regarding inauguration preparations? I wonder if things are different with a second Inauguration, especially this one with a Sunday swearing in, making it “Inauguration Weekend? It can be jam-packed with info for those going, and ask whether or not we will be having parties to watch again. (I hope I can have the day off Monday and just eat cookies-not into running around in January weather)

• December 8, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Carol we all have to meet up. I am going to the inauguration too unless my friend DonnaDem has given my room reservation away. :)

• 307 idon
      December 8, 2012 at 8:37 pm

I have inauguration fever too. And it’s bad. I can’t get enough news about what’s happening. Also, is there any news if they will do another pre-inaug concert?

71. 308 anniebella
    December 8, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I am really enjoying the White House Christmas on HGTV,

• December 8, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Me too…..got home just in time to see it. Home they play it again. Afterwards they are going to show the tree lighting.

December 8, 2012 at 8:52 pm

If you live on the West Coast – they’re playing it again at 12 midnight (3AM Eastern time).

• 311 idon
          December 8, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Thank you. I plan to watch. I gave up my cable and watch everything on the Internet and I always have to wait until after the original airing. When I had cable the White House Xmas show was my favorite.

• December 8, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Where you do watch it online? I’ve never been able to find a video.

• 313 idon
              December 9, 2012 at 12:33 am

I have Huluplus, which has HGTV but it appears Dear Gen is not one of the HGTV shows and the HGTV does not have vid links for their shows – DAMN I’m going to watch on TV in my apt complex’ rec room – at midnight.

• 314 carolmaewy
        December 8, 2012 at 11:26 pm

I live in MT and my DVR is set for 1am.

December 8, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Me too. It’s really cool and amazing to see all the work and effort of the volunteers from all over who come together to make this Holiday at the WH such a splendid event. I would love to spend a day or two just touring the WH at Christmas time and sampling some of the holiday meals, desserts and beverages – and meeting and petting Bo!!!. :) :)

• December 8, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Didn’t know it was airing tonight! Thanks!! Setting the DVR for 3am now!

72. 319 Claire
    December 8, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Does anyone know of a link to a page that has the FLOTUS in all the different Kors dresses she has worn? A friend mentioned it, but couldn’t recall the website. I couldn’t find it. I think the FLOTUS looks particularly gorgeous in Kors and would love to see all of the dresses on one page.
    Thanks!

December 8, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Oh my..the Vice President’s residence is breathtaking! What a beaut. :)

74. December 8, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Hi all you O’s! I’ve risen and I’m all shined up on this great getting up day in TODiverse. Watching the Xmas tree stuff and it’s beautiful. I want a team to decorate my house, but I guess I’d need a house and trees, and ornaments, and ribbons, and fruit, and a dog. So never mind, I’ve already decked my halls. The show will be rebroadcast at 2am CST. I just had ATT Uverse installed yesterday so I’ll record the 2am episode and show it to the young’uns when they get here for the holidays.

75. December 8, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Raid rescues U.S. citizen kidnapped by Afghan Taliban

KABUL | Sat Dec 8, 2012 9:00pm EST
    (Reuters) – A U.S. citizen who was abducted by Taliban insurgents was rescued by U.S. forces in an operation in eastern Afghanistan early on Sunday, NATO-led forces said in a statement.

The statement said the American, identified as Dr. Dilip Joseph, had been abducted on Wednesday in the Sarobi district of Kabul province. It gave few other details.

U.S. General John Allen, commander of NATO-led foreign forces in Afghanistan, said he ordered the mission when intelligence showed that Joseph was “in imminent danger of injury or death.”

“Today’s mission exemplifies our unwavering commitment to defeating the Taliban,” Allen said in the statement.

“I’m proud of the American and Afghan forces that planned, rehearsed and successfully conducted this operation.”

“Thanks to them, Dr. Joseph will soon be rejoining his family and loved ones.”

76. December 8, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Under pressure from lawmakers, the Department of Agriculture (USDA) has changed its school lunch requirements to allow more meats and grains.

77. 340 susanne
    December 8, 2012 at 9:35 pm

cory booker continues on food stamp challenge. he’s hungry, has a headache, and is possibly getting snap-ish at those who say the program was never meant to provide all your nutrition.

• 341 globalcitizenlinda
      December 8, 2012 at 10:03 pm

at least he is drawing attention to those who ridiculous claims from rightwingers that ppl receive too much when they enroll to get this food support

• 342 susanne
        December 8, 2012 at 10:55 pm

and that’s why i keep bringing his updates here (even though they come from hufpoo). he is making a personal sacrifice of comfort and pleasure to experience and demonstrate the hardship many americans bear. i salute him. it’s a rare politician who will discommode himself this way.

78. December 8, 2012 at 9:51 pm

We don’t forget ….

79. December 8, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Egypt Terror Leader Possibly Linked to Benghazi Attack Arrested

The leader of an Egyptian terrorist cell that planned attacks in Egypt and may be linked with the storming of the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya on Sept. 11 has been arrested by Egyptian intelligence officers, according to an official close to Egypt’s intelligence agency and a senior U.S. official.

Mohammad Jamal Abdo Ahmed had become one of Egypt’s most dangerous terrorists and led a small cell of Egyptians that collected suicide vests, bombs and grenades before their Cairo safe house was raided by intelligence officials in late October, according to the U.S. official.

Most of the cell’s targets were Egyptian, but both the U.S. and Egyptian officials said Ahmed admitted to traveling to Libya and assisting Ansar al Sharia, which U.S. officials suspect organized the attack on the consulate that killed U.S. Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens.

Very likely one of many reasons why the CIA altered the comments Ambassador Rice made on the various Sunday morning yak yak shows …

#TrustBarack He’s Earned It

80. 347 yardarm756
    December 8, 2012 at 10:22 pm

81. 351 dotster3
    December 8, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Interesting story of a Miami millionaire who was arrested yesterday on federal fraud charges—-with Jeb Bush connections—-he served on his board. And lots of very interesting comments on all kinds of fraudulent financial dealings by Bush.

82. December 8, 2012 at 10:34 pm

In case you were wondering here is what the President got for allegedly Caving In 2010 lame duck-

If that is caving, more of this please.

83. 357 globalcitizenlinda
    December 8, 2012 at 10:38 pm

note to self: for future reference, avoid sorting through your dismal financial bills just as you are getting ready to call it a night – nightmares abound

84. December 8, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Zero Dark Thirty trailer #2:

A couple more clips within this fascinating CRose interview with the director and screenwriter:

• December 8, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Thank you so much, meta, for that Charlie Rose interview!!!!

• December 8, 2012 at 10:57 pm

YVW, Bobfr. If you haven’t seen Hurt Locker, I highly recommend it. She’s done extraordinary work. Can’t wait to see this film!! It premieres in LA and NYC on December 19th and them goes into wider distribution on January 11. There will be a special screening for politicians in DC on January 8th at the Newseum.

• December 8, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Have not seen the Hurt Locker (I typically avoid all depictions of violence, for many many reasons), but do understand the quality of her work. As it happens, I know one of the male actors in Zero Dark Thirty (will never mention his name for obvious reasons) and have had the opportunity to know about the development of this film. I think it will be a major film accomplishment.

Thank you!

• 363 susanne
            December 8, 2012 at 11:15 pm

i avoid violet films, also, though i know i miss out on some very fine work. apparently i’m a wimp, but i like to make a friendly place of my mind!

• 364 amk for obama
          December 9, 2012 at 12:09 am

+1. It was a bold film.

December 8, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Mitt Romney is attending the Pacquiao fight and according to this reporter who is attending, this is what Romney said. Seriously. This dude is un-fucking-believable. He’s not human. Who says this with a straight face. He doesn’t know how to interact with humans like a normal person.

86. 370 dotster3
    December 8, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Interesting——down to a science doesn’t even begin to describe the Obama campaign

December 8, 2012 at 11:45 pm

This article on the surface seems positive, but it’s really about giving the President as little credit as possible for running a successful campaign. Rolling Stone misses the most important point which is that Barack Obama surrounded himself with the best and most talented to work with as a team. And conversely, the best and most talented were attracted to Obama and lent themselves to his causes because he’s also among the best and most talented. He was the central figure in the campaign, not an aside or incidental. Yet Rolling Stone takes emphasizes that PBO didn’t win on his own (isn’t that true of all campaigns?).

• December 8, 2012 at 11:59 pm

You sure can lose on your own though…….romney being a great case in point.

• 373 cluny
        December 9, 2012 at 2:17 am

I don’t think the article is dismissive of PBO – it is not an article about him but his campaign staff. t is important to give proper credit as this will impact people’s employment post the campaign and the writer is saying anything that PBO hasn’t publicly said himself.

• 374 cluny
          December 9, 2012 at 2:18 am

sorry should read ‘not saying anything’ …

December 9, 2012 at 10:08 am

Sorry, but this article is not an isolated case but a long-standing pattern I’ve observed in the media where this President is concerned. The article emphasizes up front that “Obama didn’t win on his own merit alone.” But isn’t that true of EVERY successful political campaign? It didn’t need to be said here. And as for that part about Obama “owing these people for his success,” doesn’t he know that? And don’t they also owe him for allowing them the opportunity to showcase their skills and talent in a high profile, public manner? These snide little reminders that Rolling Stone artfully placed throughout the article were unnecessary and petty, and rather typical of the media throughout this man’s candidacy and Presidency.

• 376 Chi
        December 9, 2012 at 5:34 am

I know exactly what you mean Hopefruit…

It’s not just with regard to the campaign, it also happens with every single accomplishment President Obama has pulled off…

There is always this overarching need by so many in the media to find every last inconsequential person remotely attached to his every accomplishment, to give credit to – all the while doing everything possible to begrudge and deny President Obama any credit…

No other success story in American history has been so deconstructed in a bid to diminish the principal and give everyone else but him credit for his success…

Not once has anyone in the media admitted that none of these campaign operatives and operations would even be mildly successful if it weren’t for the principal character around which any campaign structure is built – in this case, Barack Obama…

I don’t care how fantastic this operation was, all I know is that I and my many friends and family would never have offered the sort of unyielding and unconditional support we did had this not been Barack and Michelle Obama…

And I never used any of the fancy set-up offered besides making my donations online…

There are so many Obama supporters who actively supported, raised money and worked tirelessly on behalf of the President outside of the formal campaign structure…

Many never logged on to the OFA website or participated in official campaign events or meetings – and yet they made such an impact on the campaign and final election results independently recruiting friends, family, church members, co- workers, communities…just motivated by their love and respect of the President and First Lady…

Tell me, has there ever been this sort of hard focus and praise on peripheral players surrounding a successful President and candidate, all the while actively dismissing said successful candidate and President…

As for this contention that the players need to be acknowledged so they can find future work..lol

Since when did the media take it upon themselves to aid the campaign staff of a successful presidential candidate who have already had tons of opportunities to publicly self-promote…

Do we the public know the staff of any other successful politicians in America…and do these staff get to be endlessly touted publicly while their candidate is diminished and marginalized as if he were merely incidental to the event…

How is possible that every last idiot including Chris Christie gets to singularly lap up his ‘successes’ with absolutely no credit reserved for those who handle him – and they do exist in their high numbers…

In the end, if President Obama had lost, the loss would have been all his – and maybe Mrs Obama’s…

But he wins and everyone scrambles to find every other person to give credit to – even as we all witnessed over the past 4 years this President and candidate endure grueling schedules and encounters to win this thing…

If anyone really thinks this was about the folks who ran this campaign, I’d like to see this type of success replicated with any other candidate…

• 377 CEB
          December 9, 2012 at 6:30 am

Everything that you have so beautifully, factually, and strongly said is the absolute truth and I co-sign to the nth degree. THIS, THIS, THIS!

December 9, 2012 at 10:26 am

Thank you Chi for speaking the truth so articulately!! :) I’m sorry I only got to see your post this morning – but this is worthy of the front page.

I’m sick and tired of the media’s constant efforts at belittling this man’s success while trying to give every Tom, Dick and Harry the praise. Did Rolling Stone report that Gov Christie’s approval rating skyrocketed because the people were pleased that he worked WITH President Obama instead of joining Romney in playing politics? It goes both ways, and Obama attracts people to him because they see the benefit for THEMSELVES of working and associating with him.

And as you said Chi, there are many other people who did their part who were not necessarily part of the formal apparatus – including the owner of this blog who’s been maintaining the site long before campaign 2012, and many TODers, and other ordinary folks who contributed via paper checks, encouraged their friends and family members to vote, etc.

• 379 Chi
            December 9, 2012 at 1:43 pm

And about that skyrocketing approval rating enjoyed by Chris Christie even while President Obama’s numbers remained largely stagnant…

That can clearly be attributed to the generosity of the President’s supporters Hope…

We are mostly willing to acknowledge and credit members of the opposition when they do the right thing – hence the almost 30 points in approval gained by Christie…

Most Republicans on the other hand will never give the President any credit or heaven forbid, a momentary pat on the back – not even when he saves their butts…

As evidenced by the fact that the President’s approval numbers in New Jersey continued to mirror his exact percentage win at the ballot box…

Not even the slightest acknowledgment that he was very much instrumental to any progress made by Christie in sorting out the mess in the aftermath of hurricane Sandy…

There is something incredibly sad about the petty, hardened hearts that encompass the hostile opposition this President has had to contend with…

87. December 8, 2012 at 11:32 pm

For those of you Night Owls out there I thought I should add this…

This kid from Brazil is amazing!

December 8, 2012 at 11:35 pm

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/led-zeppelin-hailed-by-us-president-barack-obama/ Fabulous:) I still remember my mom pounding on the floor with her foot, telling me to “turn that down!!” as I cranked them up in my bedroom…..good times. Good memories.

RSS OFA