Dec

Rise and Shine

President Obama talks on the phone in the Oval Office, Dec. 11. Pictured, from left, are: Director of Communications Dan Pfeiffer; Rob Nabors, Assistant to the President for Legislative Affairs; and Chief of Staff Jack Lew. (Pete Souza)

12:0: President Obama holds a conference call with a bipartisan group of mayors and community leaders

12:30: Jay Carney briefs the press

Paul Krugman: Both Jonathan Chait and Charles Pierce have a field day with a Politico piece titled, without a hint of irony, Crafting a boom economy. In said piece they talk to various Very Serious People, and divine the insider consensus on What Must Be Done – which mainly seems to involve, naturally, cutting Social Security and Medicare while reducing corporate tax rates.

What I find remarkable about this piece is that after everything that has happened these past five years or so, Jim VandeHei and Mike Allen still take it for granted that these people actually know what they’re talking about….

…. The whole theme of the Politico piece is that great things would happen if only the insiders could override all this messy democracy stuff. But the real lesson is that those insiders are not only self-dealing, but profoundly ignorant and wrong-headed. It’s too bad that so many journalists still can’t see that.

Full post here

See also Liberal Librarian’s post at The People’s View: ‘More adventures in our failed media experiment’

Steve Benen: There was a widely held fear after Election Day that systemic voting restrictions would soon be forgotten. The outrage over voter-suppression tactics was real – unnecessary voter-ID laws, closed early voting windows, ridiculously long lines and waiting times – but once the election came and went, would the political world’s short attention span forget the fiascos?

Fortunately, no – or at least, not yet. Several Democratic members of Congress have already unveiled modest-but-helpful election reforms, and in the Obama administration, Attorney General Eric Holder continues to take the issue very seriously….

Full post here

NYT: A broad swath of the nation’s leading chief executives dropped its opposition to tax increases on the wealthiest Americans on Tuesday, while the White House quietly pressed Wall Street titans for their support as well.

Before Tuesday’s about-face, the Business Roundtable had insisted that the White House extend Bush-era tax cuts to taxpayers of all income brackets, but the executives’ resistance crumbled as pressure builds to find a compromise for the fiscal impasse in Washington before the end of the year.

“We recognize that part of the solution has to be tax increases,” David M. Cote, chief executive of Honeywell, said on a conference call with reporters. “That’s the only thing that allows a reasonable compromise to be reached.”

More here

TPM: As Michigan Republicans pushed their controversial right to work legislation another step forward Tuesday, organized labor’s promise not to go quietly was realized.

…. labor groups say they’ve found a way to unwind the Michigan Republicans’ attempt to write the law in a way that makes it impossible to be overturned at the ballot box …. A high-ranking labor source told TPM unions are ready to turn Michigan into the next Ohio.

“If this bill is signed today, it will be Thunderdome for Governor Snyder and Michigan for the next two years,” the official said. “There are multiple options for a referendum, for the voters to have their say on this issue and all options are on the table, the fight is far from over.”

Full post here

First Lady Michelle Obama during an event with the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition on the South Lawn of the White House, May 9, 2011 (Photo by Chuck Kennedy)

NYT: After decades of rising childhood obesity rates, several American cities are reporting their first declines. The trend has emerged in big cities like New York and Los Angeles, as well as smaller places like Anchorage, Alaska, and Kearney, Neb. The state of Mississippi has also registered a drop, but only among white students.

“It’s been nothing but bad news for 30 years, so the fact that we have any good news is a big story,” said Dr. Thomas Farley, the health commissioner in New York City, which reported a 5.5 percent decline in the number of obese schoolchildren from 2007 to 2011.

The drops are small, just 5 percent here in Philadelphia and 3 percent in Los Angeles. But experts say they are significant because they offer the first indication that the obesity epidemic, one of the nation’s most intractable health problems, may actually be reversing course.

More here

LL, thought you might like this photo from a Steve Benen post on Michigan!

MooooOOOOooooOOOOoooOOOOoooorning!

268 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 Proud Former White House Intern
    December 12, 2012 at 8:31 am

Hi!

2. December 12, 2012 at 8:33 am

Good morning Chips and TOD family. I hope everyone have a beautiful blessed day today.

• 10 carolmaewy
      December 12, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Hello this fine day of 12-12-12 and congratulations to Proud. My friend is celebrating her birthday. Is it a day feel rowdy? I thought I had seen a photo of a Santa holding a gun or was it a family Christmas card. Would like to post to my FB the photo and say “This is the War on Christmas”. Good or bad idea?. Trying to get under the skin of O’Reily and others.

3. December 12, 2012 at 8:36 am

MooooOOoooooOOoooooorning everyone. Is it just my connection, or is the site even slower than flippin’ usual today? :???:

• 12 Proud Former White House Intern
      December 12, 2012 at 8:40 am

You are not alone! I don’t know what is going on but a refresh always works for me!

• December 12, 2012 at 8:43 am

Thanks Proud! With all the pics and videos it’s usually slow for me, bit it’s painfully so today!

• 14 daisydem
          December 12, 2012 at 9:19 am

So glad (well not glad we are having the problem) but that it is not just me. Mine was painfully slow also! Love that last pic you posted for LL: you know it’s bad when the librarians are here. Not sure I understand it fully …. but being a librarian in heart I assume it might mean that we are normally shy, timid, not apt to speak up, you usually can walk all over us people? We just don’t want to stir up trouble or to have to, right?

• December 12, 2012 at 9:27 am

Hiya Daisy, relieved too it’s not just me! WordPress made more changes in the last week which have resulted in it taking forever for some users to upload photos, etc – and there are other glitches too. Whether that’s the problem, I don’t know. It was so slow this morning it was almost impossible. We’ll see if they can do anything to speed things up.

The librarian sign is a hoot – I wouldn’t imagine it means “you usually can walk all over us people” (!), just that librarians tend not to be rowdy protestors?? Not sure!

December 12, 2012 at 9:57 am

Yes, and methinks the stereotype is that librarians aren’t the “extroverts” among us, and are always telling the rest of us to “Shhhhh!” ~ but for people we know here … like LL … just sayin’.

• 19 daisydem
              December 12, 2012 at 10:09 am

True … I would not want to imply that we librarians have no “spine”, hahahahaha! I will bet that a bunch of fired up librarians could be formidable!

December 12, 2012 at 12:43 pm

(I shouldn’t go for this, but … ) I’m also thinking the librarians would like to “throw the book at him”!

4. December 12, 2012 at 8:42 am

Gooood morning! It’s almost Friday!

5. December 12, 2012 at 8:46 am

Couldn’t figure out how to embed this but love this! The Charlie Brown school of dance :

6. December 12, 2012 at 9:00 am

As the clock ticks toward a tax hike on all Americans in 20 days, President Obama predicted Republicans would join Democrats to extend current rates for 98 percent of earners before the end of the year.

“I’m pretty confident that Republicans would not hold middle class taxes hostage to trying to protect tax cuts for high-income individuals,” Obama said today in an exclusive interview with ABC News’ Barbara Walters.

“I don’t think they’ll do that,” he said of Republicans forcing tax-rate increases for families earning $250,000 a year or less.

The sign of optimism follows weeks of tense negotiations and public posturing to avert the so-called “fiscal cliff,” an economically toxic package of $6 trillion in across-the-board tax hikes and $1.2 trillion in deep spending cuts that could begin in early 2013.

• December 12, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Haha! This is just the way I talk to my second graders when they are having a rough day! “I’m sure that no one here wants to be responsible for the class losing recess; I’m sure we’re all going to setle down to be good listeners!” Said in a significant tone of voice. And it usually works.

December 12, 2012 at 9:06 am

8. December 12, 2012 at 9:06 am

AskMen, a popular web site, put out its 12th annual poll on Tuesday answering the question: “who is the world’s most desirable woman?” The poll which received 2.4 million votes is designed to reveal the women of the world who have been the leading ladies of 2012 and the women to watch in the coming year.

The list, comprised of 99 women, has some interesting women being honored this year – from the new female notables among us to the veteran women who have been on the distinguished list previously.

The most powerful woman on the list is undoubtedly the powerfully influential First Lady of the United States Michelle Obama who made the list at number 33.

9. December 12, 2012 at 9:17 am

US First Lady Michelle Obama met the family members Oak Creek gurdwara shootout victims on the sidelines of Guru Nanak Jayanti celebrations in the White House last week.

“We had the opportunity to meet First Lady Michelle Obama as she welcomed us and was glad to see we could be part of the celebration. She also shared condolences as she hopes and prays for our healing,” Oak Creek gurdwara president Harcharan Singh Gill said as he met Michelle last Friday.

• December 12, 2012 at 2:06 pm

They never let anything slip past. Always honoring and respecting people, but always remember the things that might seem small or insignificant or have been forgotten by others. I know they have a crack staff, but it must be the Obamas that make these things their priority.

10. 50 sonjiaduncan
    December 12, 2012 at 9:20 am

Good Morning TOD Family. Hump day.

• December 12, 2012 at 9:30 am

Morning DF, thanks for that.

Just read this too at TP:

The Detroit Free-Press, which endorsed Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder (R) in his 2010 campaign and has generally supported him since, blasted his decision to ram through a union-busting “right-to-work” law in a lame-duck legislative session.

I didn’t know they endorsed him?? Wow.

• December 12, 2012 at 9:42 am

This is how elected officials get rich, sell out to the likes of the Koch Brothers.

• December 12, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Yes it used to be the liberal paper, as opposed to the Detroit News, but they’ve been basically one company for years. Also I think they were fooled by his mild manner. Which doesn’t say much for the brilliance of their political analysis. I don’t know why people are surprised-he’s a big business Republican and has been acting as such from day one. He threw a few meager bones to the more liberal people while saving the big, juicy ones to beat them over the head with.

• 56 Japa21
      December 12, 2012 at 9:45 am

Jeez, if even Morning Joke thinks Snyder’s arguments are BS, Snyder is out on a limb.

11. December 12, 2012 at 9:31 am

I Love me some Obamas, But I don’t want this The Obama White House might raise the Medicare eligibility age to 67, I know it just two more years, and you can get medcaid untill you eligibility for medicare if you are poor and sick. but it won’t look right for the democrat, the republican gets the tax cut even if its for the middle class and the medicare age raise, most democrat don’t care about having a tax cuts. These are two main republican goal. Tax cut and medicare age 67 is beef for the republican, Where is the beef for the democrat,, and dont give me the list of what Obama have done, the list is wonderful, for the party, but DADT, ACA and most of the list won’t help people like me. I still can’t go to the doctor when needed most of the time because of the out of pocket costs, my paycheck have not change in 5 years, the cost of living is higher. my health is not what it use to be, I’m looking forward to 65. I don’t care about paying higher taxes, if I’m able to work. but I do care about having a net when I’m not able, so I push myself hoping my health keep up until age 65, me and my husband. My husband is 62 and do hard work, don’t know if he can keep it up until 67.

• December 12, 2012 at 9:44 am

I can understand your worry on this Dun, considering your age and health concerns. I just hope these rumors are inaccurate, as so many similar ones have been before.

• December 12, 2012 at 9:45 am

The thing is, we have to get done about five progressive things on the fiscal cliff including the debt ceiling. Then, we have to roll the Sandy package into the fiscal cliff deal, as well.
      The Republicabs ate going to want something significant in return.
      Just saying, we are not going to get everything we want, close, but not quite.

• December 12, 2012 at 9:59 am

President Obama on Tuesday didn’t directly dismiss raising the Medicare eligibility age as part of a deal with Congressional Republicans to avert the so-called fiscal cliff, but instead argued that such a course wouldn’t be cost-effective.

“When you look at the evidence it’s not clear that it actually saves a lot of money,” he said in an interview with ABC News’ Barbara Walters aired Tuesday night. “But what I’ve said is let’s look at every avenue, because what is true is we need to strengthen Social Security, we need to strengthen Medicare for future generations, the current path is not sustainable because we’ve got an aging population and health care costs are shooting up so quickly.”

• December 12, 2012 at 10:47 am

I thought the SS age was increased to 66 (I was born in 1956) and those born in the 60’s it was raised to 67. If the Medicare age increases to 67 for after ACA/Obamacare goes through in 2014 those between the ages of 65 or 66 who retire will still be able to get Medicaid until they reach 67. You have to realize that PBO is thinking 100 steps ahead of the GOP and the rest of us. I’ll wait and see and won’t panic until all the dust settles.

• 62 debz
        December 12, 2012 at 11:23 am

I think you are correct about the age going up for those born after 1960. Wasn’t this the deal reach when Regan was President? That is why I am not concerned. PBO is not going to raise the age or in anyway take benefits away from seniors. People need to relax, stop the panic. POTUS is just holding his cards close.

12. December 12, 2012 at 9:40 am

So, the Pope is on Twitter now?

13. 69 JER
    December 12, 2012 at 9:41 am

Live now – Harry Reid: ” President Obama is not going to fall for that again…” http://www.cbsnews.com/liveFeed/widget.shtml

December 12, 2012 at 9:52 am

Happy 12/12/12 !!! Funny how the Mayans missed THAT date. (Even my birthday this year was on 10/11/12 and I was more than a little “shaky” – Ha!)

Great post, Chips! Loved the “librarians” sign, as well as the one behind it – Snyder, Save Your Soul, Veto!

• 71 Pamela
      December 12, 2012 at 10:32 am

Hard to save his soul when he sold it so long ago, for so much money.

• 73 Obama Grandmama
      December 12, 2012 at 1:00 pm

My soon to be Son-in-law was born on 12/12/12 so is celebrating his bday today. What a rare experience! I did hear of one better on NPR this morning they were talking of a boy who turned twelve today on 12/12/12! This will be a day like no other day for him.

December 12, 2012 at 9:53 am

This morning in delusional laugh your ass off quotes.

Ben Smith of BuzzFeed: “I think that we are more like the New York Times than we are like Reddit,” he says. “We’re a news organization, basically. Every day, we ask ourselves, ‘How are we going to outdo what we did yesterday?’ ”

• 75 Japa21
      December 12, 2012 at 10:03 am

Outdo in what sense? Mediocrity? Mendacity? Partisan reporting?

• December 12, 2012 at 10:07 am

I howled when I saw your tweet about it UT, for a minute I thought he was being amusing! :roll:

• December 12, 2012 at 10:10 am

That’s funny. I think of them more like the DC division of the National Enquirer.

December 12, 2012 at 10:20 am

Not interested enough in Ben Smith to read the whole “buzz,” but it kinda reminds me of the origins of The Drudge Report.

• 79 Chi
      December 12, 2012 at 10:28 am

It’s easy to see how Ben Smith and Politico might become so deluded about what they really are…

Seeing as they are the go to folks for most so-called liberal/progressive shows for ‘information’, punditry, ‘news’ updates and ‘verification’…

Bill Press relies entirely on these hacks, its so pathetic…

This morning I happened to catch the last few minutes of the Bill Press show on Current as I waited for the Stephanie Miller show…

And who did Bill Press have on..?

Kitty Kelly who Bill Press introduced as a ‘great historian’…

One wonders when a malicious gossip no better than Perez Hilton became the standard for American historians…

Shameful and inane…

16. 81 Ladyhawke
    December 12, 2012 at 10:01 am

5 Reasons The Republicans Are Getting Clobbered On The ‘Fiscal Cliff’

By LOLGOP

—————————-

The polls are pretty much unanimous. When it comes to the so-called “fiscal cliff,” the public supports the president by margins even larger than those by which he won re-election in November.

Beginning in 2013, the automatic ending of the Bush tax cuts and automatic spending cuts would most likely send the economy into a recession. The president has made a proposal calling for what he calls a “balanced approach” of spending cuts with the ending of tax breaks for the rich, while the GOP’s counteroffer demanded larger cuts and much less in revenues.

Here are five reasons the Republicans have little to no leverage on the “fiscal cliff” other than a threat that the president will begin his second term cleaning up another Republican-sparked economic crisis.

————————————–

17. 82 Ladyhawke
    December 12, 2012 at 10:13 am

A Dose of Reality

By Judah Ginsberg

—————————–

The GOP finds itself in a curious place, a victim of its own anti-tax rhetoric of the last thirty years. If the party had not been so ideologically strident on taxes, it would not be now at the mercy of President Obama, who has the upper hand in budget talks because of his reelection and because he has the backing of the public on increasing tax rates on the wealthy.

A less rigid position would have allowed Republicans to declare victory on taxes. Everyone agrees that the Bush-era tax rates should remain for Americans earning less than $250,000. The Republican position on taxes remaining at historically low levels has been accepted by both parties for 98 percent of all taxpayers. In politics, as in most endeavors, getting 98 percent of what you seek is a very good day’s work.

Yet instead of saying “we won,” Republicans have put themselves in the unpopular and uncomfortable position of defending tax cuts for millionaires. It’s odd, because the defense of the temporary Bush-era tax cuts offered by Republicans in 2012 does not match the rationale President Bush offered in 2001.

————————————–

18. 83 xtine
    December 12, 2012 at 10:13 am

Just actually paid attention to the Oval Office carpet in first picture. Usually my eyes wander upwards of said carpet! :) Is the quote along the edge of the carpet Teddy Rooselvelt’s? “The welfare of each of us is dependent fundamentally upon the welfare of all of us.”

December 12, 2012 at 10:23 am

Nice. But I know how you feel. I think that carpet was installed by the Bushes, and I believe the Obamas decided to keep it in an austerity move, and because it was brand new – I think I recall – so I never paid much attention to it, either. Looking upwards was much more fun, as you intimated! :)

• December 12, 2012 at 10:26 am

They kept Bush’s rug for a long while but this version is the Obama’s.

“Gone is the sunburst rug Mr. Bush loved so much, which was designed by his wife, Laura, and which he often said expressed his spirit of optimism.

In the rug’s place is a muted, mostly wheat and cream carpet featuring the presidential seal in the center and ringed with five quotations selected by Mr. Obama — four from former presidents (Lincoln, Kennedy and the Roosevelts) and one from the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.”

• December 12, 2012 at 10:25 am

You’re eagle-eyed, Xtine! Trying to find a link that lists all the quotes

Halfway through his second year, the President finally got his own Oval Office rug (he had been using President Bush’s). The new rug includes several famous quotations, and I tried to frame people’s feet by some of the words in the quotations.” (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

• 94 FiredUpInCA
      December 12, 2012 at 10:26 am

President Obama’s Oval Office Remodel

“The rug that covers most of the center of the room was stripped out (a likely tragedy to Bill Clinton, who during a recent visit to his former office, remarked that he “just love[d] that rug”) while a new rug from a Michigan-based company was installed. The new one, according to the White House, has the presidential seal in the center and the following five quotes, all chosen by President Obama.

“The only thing we have to fear is fear itself”—President Franklin D. Roosevelt
      “The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice”—Martin Luther King Jr.
      “Government of the people, by the people, for the people”—President Abraham Lincoln
      “No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings”—President John F. Kennedy
      “The welfare of each of us is dependent fundamentally upon the welfare of all of us”—President Theodore Roosevelt”

• December 12, 2012 at 10:30 am

You beat me to it FiredUp, thank you!

• 96 Chi
        December 12, 2012 at 10:36 am

I remember when Michael Smith redid the Oval office…

It was quite a relief especially seeing the last vestiges of the Bush era completely erased from that space…

• December 12, 2012 at 10:49 am

Chi, I’m not a dishes gal …. so I loved him even more after this!!

…. When a new president is elected, the White House curatorial staff removes everything from the office the departing president put in it, unless they worry it will cause a political stir—in which case they ask the new president. Right after the last election they removed a few oil paintings of Texas.

It took Obama longer than usual to make changes to the office because, as he put it, “we came in when the economy was tanking and our first priority wasn’t redecorating.” Eighteen months into the office he reupholstered the two chairs in his sitting area. (“The chairs were kind of greasy. I was starting to think, Folks are going to start talking about us.”) Then he swapped out the antique coffee table for a contemporary one, and the bust of Winston Churchill lent to Bush by Tony Blair for one of Martin Luther King Jr. And he took one look at the bookshelves, filled with china, and thought, This won’t do. “They had a bunch of plates in there,” he says, a little incredulously. “I’m not a dish guy.”

The dishes he replaced with the original applications for several famous patents and patent models—Samuel Morse’s 1849 model for the first telegraph, for instance, which he pointed to and said, “This is the start of the Internet right here.” Finally, he ordered a new oval rug inscribed with his favorite brief quotations from people he admires. “I had a bunch of quotes that didn’t fit [on the rug],” he admitted. One quote that did fit, I saw, was a favorite of Martin Luther King Jr.’s: “The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice.”

• 98 Chi
            December 12, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I was just so relieved to have them remove all the Bush stuff Chip and was really thrilled with the smart and thoughtful replacements…

The decision to replace ‘dishes’ with original applications patents for famous patents’ was so telling…

It pretty much captured the essence of and difference between both Presidents…

• 99 Pamela
        December 12, 2012 at 10:41 am

Lovely man, this President Obama! Who voted him into Office? (hint: WE THE PEOPLE!) :) oh Yes We Did! :lol:

• 100 xtine
        December 12, 2012 at 10:46 am

Thanks, FiredUp!

• December 12, 2012 at 10:29 am

Here they are Xtine – you’re spot on!

“The Only Thing We Have to Fear is Fear Itself” – President Franklin D. Roosevelt

“The Arc of the Moral Universe is Long, But it Bends Towards Justice” – Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Government of the People, By the People, For the People” – President Abraham Lincoln

“No Problem of Human Destiny is Beyond Human Beings” – President John F. Kennedy

“The Welfare of Each of Us is Dependent Fundamentally Upon the Welfare of All of Us” – President Theodore Roosevelt

Although, as everyone was quick to point out at the time, the MLK quote was originally Theodore Parker’s.

• 103 daisydem
        December 12, 2012 at 10:36 am

Isn’t this wonderful? How much better could it be? I love this President and this administraton, and TOD, and Chips … and all the good feelings that come our way here every day. Even this rug is to be celebrated. So symbolic of the vision for America to come.

• 104 FiredUpInCA
        December 12, 2012 at 10:41 am

Thank you for your link. I had never heard of Theodore Parker before. He inspired two of the five chosen quotes.

“In 1850, Parker used the phrase, “A democracy,— of all the people, by all the people, for all the people;” which later influenced Abraham Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address. Parker might have developed his phrase from John Wycliffe’s prologue to the first English translation of the Bible.”

• 105 xtine
        December 12, 2012 at 10:44 am

Lovely! Thanks, Chips! I’m now going to keep my eyes downwards when peaking into the Oval Office! OK, OK! Occasionally …. downwards! :)

• 106 Pamela
      December 12, 2012 at 10:35 am

I was trying to read that also, xtine, it must be a classic and fundamental view or it wouldn’t have been woven into THAT carpet. Didn’t know the entirety of it, so thank you for the clarification.

19. December 12, 2012 at 10:16 am

The Senate passed several bills by unanimous consent Tuesday night, one of which would give unclaimed clothes recovered at airports to homeless veterans.

Rep. Kathleen Hochul (D-N.Y.) introduced the Clothe a Homeless Hero Act, H.R. 6328. The bill would direct the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) to give unclaimed clothing recovered at airport security checkpoints to local veterans organizations or other charitable groups for distribution to homeless or needy veterans and their families.
    That’s good!

December 12, 2012 at 10:24 am

That’s very good! I think they usually auction that stuff off, so this is a much better use for the clothes. Leave it to a Democrat to finally think of this! :)

• 109 theo67
      December 12, 2012 at 6:55 pm

What an excellent idea! I wonder what they’re doing with all that stuff now?

20. 110 xtine
    December 12, 2012 at 10:23 am

[Smartypants]:

Do you remember what many progressives did during the negotiations over health care reform? They focused all their attention on the public option while not noticing things like the Medical Loss Ratios (that limited what insurance companies could spend on administration and profits), the largest expansion of Medicaid in the program’s history, the free preventative services that caused so much controversy last year, etc.

I’m beginning to feel like Yogi Berra with a sense of deja vu all over again. Right now it seems like all the left can talk about is whether or not lowering of the age for Medicare eligibility will be part of the deal. Meanwhile it feels to me like we are missing both the forest and the trees.

Rest here: http://immasmartypants.blogspot.com/2012/12/whats-actually-on-table.html

21. December 12, 2012 at 10:23 am

GOOD morning, TODville.

22. December 12, 2012 at 10:27 am

The Only reason Boner is pissed that the President is slow walking the negotiations is because he wants to go home and party with the Lobbyists.
    Look, POTUS is going up to the end of the time limit, gives him more leverage, for obvious reasons.

23. 120 Ladyhawke
    December 12, 2012 at 10:39 am

Obama Has Convinced Nearly Half of Republicans to Raise Taxes on the Wealthy

24. December 12, 2012 at 10:41 am

RIP RaviShankar.

He brought the sitar to the Beatles’ music. And he was Norah Jones’ father.

25. December 12, 2012 at 10:42 am

I find it interesting that HRC’s favorability is at 70% even though she took some responsibility for the Benghazi event.

• December 12, 2012 at 10:50 am

I think HRC came through that mess unscathed. John McCain praised her statement condemning attacks on the U.S. embassy in Benghazi, while accusing the President of a big coverup, and as we all know he is trying to destroy Susan Rice. I find it all pretty interesting.

December 12, 2012 at 11:00 am

That better old fool McCain and his little lying sidekick from South Carolina is a disgrace, for those lilly white men to go after Amb. Rice like they have, but not go after Hillary of that cheating General.

• 125 xtine
      December 12, 2012 at 10:55 am

Could it be because Susan Rice took the “sticks & stones” for Benghazi? It seemed to take HRC forever to step up & accept responsibility as SoS. By then Susan Rice was bruised.

• 126 Bill
      December 12, 2012 at 10:57 am

Except for the rwnj’s and FOX I don’t think anyone is blaming the administration for Benghazi. It is in a very dangerous part of the world.

• 127 COS
      December 12, 2012 at 11:01 am

GM Meta and friends. Meta do you remember back in 2008 during the primaries when HRC praised McShame for his foreign policy, while she was on a panel? I won’t express my opinion as to the real reason, they villified Amb. Rice, but I think we have some idea.

• December 12, 2012 at 11:42 am

Yes. I know they are close friends.

I guess we can also read into the poll that people aren’t blaming anybody for the attack in Benghazi.

• 129 FoxfireTX
      December 12, 2012 at 11:18 am

HRC also said during the 2008 primaries that McCain passed the CiC test and could handle the 3 am phone call while President Obama did not pass the test.

• 130 Jewelz
      December 12, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Wait until she starts campaigning for President again, and watch that favorability go down the toilet. She’s power hungry enough that she will play the inevitability card again to try and crush any opponent that she views as a threat. And just like in 2007 where she got the shock of her life by underestimating Barack Obama, she won’t see this one coming too. One of her biggest mistakes and downfall in 2008 was her cockiness. And that trait is also common amongst her fans and the people she surrounds herself with. They think she’s owed the white house, and it’s her turn just like Ann and Mitt Romney thought it was their turn too, and we know how that turned out. I don’t trust her. Her kind of ambition scares me. She is not much different from Mitt Romney. They are both liars and make up stufff. I still remember the length that she and her campaign were willing to go through in 2008 for the presidency. The racism and the outright dirty politics are not something to forget. Her campaign caused a lot of damage in 2008 that should give a lot of democrats pause before supporting her for another run. Like I stated earlier, I don’t trust her or her husband. I don’t even trust her to protect any of President Obama legislations if she were somehow elected. And I’m not the only one that feel this way. A lot of President Obama supporters haven’t forgotten what happened in 2008 before the South Carolina primary . And if the old democratic party think we are all going to be good little democrats and automatically stand behind Hillary, they have a surprise coming their way in 2016. Guaranteed.

• 131 Mae who love our CIC
        December 12, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Been lurking quite a bit, but I had to respond with a AMEN.

December 12, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Jewelz – I’ve been forcing myself not to think about all of that, because Hillary came through as SOS and hasn’t missed a beat in championing President Obama’s agenda, and Bill finally came through on behalf of our President, but I just re-lived every single word you wrote (especially the reminder of South Carolina) and agree with each syllable. I’m hoping she does not run. She had a multi-faceted career, and should work now on women’s issues around the world, or whatever she wishes, in my opinion. We need to go forward with younger politicians with new global ideas and without the baggage (hmmm … turns out our current leader had no hidden baggage … what a total relief after the previous string of Presidents). No more Clintons, Bushes, or Romneys for me, thank you very much.

December 12, 2012 at 1:05 pm

By the way, I think Hillary’s brilliant and I’m her age, but we don’t need her to be our first woman President (IMHO, or I would have voted for her in ’08).

• 134 Bill
            December 12, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I would like to see Senator Kristen Gillibrand and Senator Amy Klobuchar develop more of a presence on the national stage to see what potential they might have running for POTUS. I think both are very impressive.

• 137 lisalovesobama
        December 12, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I’m irritated by the whole Hillary 2016 bullshit but I just want a democrat, any democrat to win so that PBO’s achievements have more time to stick, and that’s more likely under a dem than a repuke.

December 12, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Of course, and I’ll vote for the Dem candidate with bells on … we cannot give the White House back to the Republicans for a couple of decades.

• 139 Jewelz
          December 12, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I hear you Lisa. I want the same thing that you want, except that I don’t think Hillary is the right person for the job. And don’t be so sure she will fight tooth and nail to protect President Obama legislations against a republican house or senate. The Clintons know how to blame others for their own shortcoming. Democrats should not settle for any candidate just because they have a D next to their name. We have some democrats like Joe Marchin in the Senate right now who acts no differently from a republican. I just want us to move forward toward candidates that will continue to fight for the working class, poor, and the middle class, and not the 2%. I want someone who is honest, and not afraid to be straight with the American people. I don’t want someone who cannot articulate why she wants to be president except may be to see her name in the history book and nothing more.

• 140 edp4bho
            December 12, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Hiya TOD, Been lurking, but Jewelz- you’ve spoken for me exactly, about Mz. Clinton. As I stated somewhere here about a week ago, she will NEVER get my vote. When I don’t feel good about someone, I cannot force myself to support them. Have not trusted her since the first campaign, even though I once admired her. She’s shown her blind ambition and her staunch support for PBO’s agenda is just a step for her, to the throne, IMO. Nuf said, and thanks for your honesty. I’m so sure there are many qualified and attractive Democrats who could follow in PBO’s shoes while extending his achievements.

26. 142 xtine
    December 12, 2012 at 11:03 am

[Ashby @ bobcesca almost became unhinged. Me? !@##%%#&@!]:

“Hostess Brands acknowledged for the first time in a news report Monday that the company diverted workers’ pension money for other company uses.

“The bankrupt baker told The Wall Street Journal that money taken out of workers’ paychecks, intended for their retirement funds, was used for company operations instead. Hostess, which was under different management at the time the diversions began in August 2011, said it does not know how much money it took.”

The hubris of Hostess management is astonishing.

Hostess executives have spent the last several weeks crusading for the right to cut employee pensions while also divvying up retention bonuses for company executives who will oversee the company’s liquidation.

More here: http://bobcesca.com/blog-archives/2012/12/hostess-steals-from-employee-pensions-blames-pensions-for-companys-demise.html

[Can the guillotine somehow find their necks?]

• 143 Roberta in MN
      December 12, 2012 at 11:59 am

I read that last night. What he didn’t say is this is just the same as what Bain Capital did. They have no shame.

• 144 theo67
      December 12, 2012 at 6:50 pm

I hope they’re able to claw back the money these executives gave to themselves as bonuses out of those workers’ paychecks.

December 12, 2012 at 11:12 am

28. 146 dotster3
    December 12, 2012 at 11:15 am

Speaking of Hillary, Barbara Walters just aired a snippet of her interview with her as part of her “10 most fascinating” which airs tonight. (?) Hillary once again confirms she is not interested in running for president in 2016, that she will continue to serve in some capacity, is interested in seeing “what’s out there” away from the world of politics. Not that this 1000th denial will make the constant Hillary for pres. people shut up. They seem undeterred from this pursuit, those from both parties I have noticed, oddly

• December 12, 2012 at 4:45 pm

I wonder if this passionate Hillary talk is partly that people haven’t quite come down from the intense effort of the presidential campaign and are looking for things to keep them jazzed up. Not that don’t really want Hillary, but I wonder if as we get farther away from the campaign it will die down for a while.

December 12, 2012 at 11:17 am

Similar to some former Cheney response, which I believe was “So?” – Thomas Roberts was just interviewing former House Speaker Denny Hastert, obviously a Republican, about the so-called fiscal cliff. To one of the questions, Hastert responded, “Hey, war happens.”

That’s the kind of brain they have.

December 12, 2012 at 11:19 am

GM folks

December 12, 2012 at 11:25 am

Good Morning, Ms Chips, all registered TODobots, all obots whose TOD citizenship is pending, all shy &/prospective TODobots, and those from the opposition doing ‘research’! It’s a beautiful, sunny day in my restricted corner of the universe, where the early morning light snowfall has already melted! Sure hope it’s equally beautiful wherever YOU are!

Hi PFWHI, I noticed in passing that you are in your regular spot at the top – good on you! :lol:

32. 153 xtine
    December 12, 2012 at 11:26 am

[Jeebus!]:

“Virginia State Senator Charles “Bill” Carrico Sr. (R) has become the latest swing state-Republican to propose a scheme to rig presidential elections for future Republican candidates. Blue Virginia reports his proposed SB 723 would award the state’s electors based on which candidate gets the majority of votes in each gerrymandered Congressional district — rather than based on who gets the most votes statewide. [...]

“With a Republican-controlled redistricting passed earlier this year, Virginia Democrats were heavily packed into three districts. Under these maps, Obama won Virginia by almost a 4 point margin, yet he carried just four Virginia Congressional Districts. Were Carrico’s scheme in place, Mitt Romney would have received seven of Virginia’s 11 electoral votes despite receiving just 47.28% of the vote statewide.”

Others, including John Putnam and Jonathan Bernstein, have explained in detail why the approach is so deeply flawed, but there’s another angle to this that stands out for me: Republicans must be really worried about Virginia’s partisan future.

• 154 Lovepolitics2008
      December 12, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I”m oh so not surprised about the movement for playing with the electoral college in many states, Republicans understand this is the only way to win the White House now. Unfortuntely, I see that republicans could succeed in splitting the electoral votes in places like Wisconsin, Michigan, and maybe Ohio? While, of course, the traditional red states will keep things as they are.

There is an URGENT need for democrats to better organize at the state and local levels in the next few years. The alliance of republicans with big money won’t go away, so organizing is the only way to fight back.

33. 156 dotster3
    December 12, 2012 at 11:28 am

December 12, 2012 at 11:30 am

35. 158 xtine
    December 12, 2012 at 11:34 am

[Splendid Isolation! :) From Steve Benen]:

[.....] What we’re witnessing is a fight in which Republicans have isolated themselves from just about everyone, to an extent unseen in a long while. The White House, a majority of the Senate, a majority of the public, labor, CEOs of the nation’s largest companies, and even Wall Street are on one side, pushing for bipartisan compromise and the immediate end to the looming debt-ceiling hostage crisis.

On the other side, we see congressional Republicans, far-right activists, and Fox News hosts.

GOP extremism, in other words, has left John Boehner and Mitch McConnell with very few friends. If they’re looking for mainstream cover or support as the fiscal fight continues, they’re not going to find any.

December 12, 2012 at 11:38 am

If Dana Bash’s sources are correct, looks like we’re going off the fiscal cliff, curb, slope, sidewalk, beach, ramp, mountain, etc.

• 160 xtine
      December 12, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Thanks UT! Boehner’s survival depends on how he maneuvers through the negotiations & manages his TP loons. He knows he’s between the devil & the deep blue sea. By Dana Bash saying, “Boehner told house gop colleagues not to make plans for the holidays,” sounds like he’s pretending to pressure his people – look busy to prolong the job. SOBs haven’t missed a vacation yet, why start now & ruin their non-“stellar” record? That tax cut for 2% repetition BS is Boehner spewing some sea water & asking his colleagues to send him a lifeline when he’s already holding on to the raft.

What I find even more intriguing is Boehner wanting a one-on-one w/ PBO for the end negotiations. He usually has a person(s) as cover in case shit hits the fan, and he’s survived a couple of decades not because he’s the sharpest knife in the butcher’s shop, but because he’s cunning. Somehow he’s surviving Cantor.

• 161 LB4Obama
        December 12, 2012 at 12:48 pm

The Boner is trying to slow-walk and stall a compromise until after the new House can vote on the Speakership. You know, because it is all about the Boner herding those teabagging cats!

• 162 xtine
          December 12, 2012 at 1:05 pm

LB4, in his grand scheme of things, his cost/benefit outweighs the country’s. He’ll end up losing the Speakership too.

• 163 xtine
          December 12, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Said Van Hollen: “I’m getting increasingly concerned that one of the reasons the Speaker is deciding to, I think, string out these discussions is that he wants to wait til January 3 when the election for Speaker takes place and he’s concerned that any agreement he reaches if it violated the so-called Hastert Rule could undermine support for him in his caucus and make it more difficult on January 3.”

December 12, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Sick-e-ning. With Cantor only a heartbeat (or another dumb mistake) away? Get a grip, Boehner. Be a leader, you fool. Quit the crying.

• 165 carolmaewy
      December 12, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Hope rebugs will roll of cliff.

December 12, 2012 at 11:39 am

• 167 Allison
      December 12, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Do not read the comments. They’re disgusting.

• 169 carolmaewy
      December 12, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Will Roberts use q cards this time? Do they have do the oath again on Monday?

December 12, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I believe I read the President will swear the oath again on Monday, at the official ceremony. Roberts will probably write the correct wording on his wrist this time, so he doesn’t make the history books for that again.

December 12, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Just remembered the reverse of this happened in ’09, as I’m sure you recall. Believe Roberts discreetly came to the White House at another time to re-administer the oath, after his little glitch, so there’d be no Constitutional problem with it. (We all know somebody would have said President Obama wasn’t really President, so this was a good thing, and I’m sure the President handled it gracefully, as always.)

• 174 carolmaewy
          December 12, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Thanks. He doesn’t look like he has big enough hands.

• 175 utaustinliberal
        December 12, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Yes they’ll do the oath again on Monday at the formal inauguration ceremony.

38. 177 Ladyhawke
    December 12, 2012 at 11:43 am

Mitch McConnell Doesn’t Understand What the Debt Ceiling Is

Or is it that he knows perfectly well, but wants to mislead the public and the press?

By Paul Waldman

————————————-

Now that Republicans have pretty much resigned themselves to the idea that there is going to be some kind of tax increase for the wealthy, they’re comforting themselves with the idea that come early next year, they’ll still be able to re-enact the lovely conflict we had over the debt ceiling in 2011 and hold the American economy hostage to their demands. President Obama has quite sensibly said that we ought to just get rid of the debt ceiling itself, since it serves no purpose and allows a party to engage in just this kind of economic blackmail if it’s desperate and cynical enough. So Republicans are pushing back, none more so than Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell. But in the process, McConnell has revealed that he has no idea how the debt ceiling actually works.
    OK, so I was kidding when I said Mitch McConnell doesn’t know how the debt ceiling works. He knows exactly how it works. But he also knows that most Americans know next to nothing about it, and he knows that reporters will dutifully pass on whatever he says about it, without adding the appropriate disclaimer that would make their reporting about this topic accurate.

———————————-

39. 178 Janelle
    December 12, 2012 at 11:45 am

Not sure if this was posted…the First Lady calling in to the Steve Harvey show yesterday. (She’ll be on the Tom Joyner Morning Show tomorrow). It looks like she’s going to be used even more leading up to the 2014 elections).

40. December 12, 2012 at 11:59 am

Morning all.

Chips, thanks for that librarian picture from Michigan. We ARE the shock troops of the peaceful jihad!

December 12, 2012 at 11:59 am

42. 182 Rain
    December 12, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Conducting an experiment today: Posted the “Demographic Cliff” video on my FB page today…it will be interesting to see how fast many of my…ahem…”conservative”…GOP loving “Friends” drop me like a hot potato. Have a great day everyone, and THANK YOU Chips or yet another Obama and child pic. =)

December 12, 2012 at 12:08 pm

VP Biden’s Op-Ed in the Kansas City Star on extending the middle-class tax cuts.

On Friday, I had the chance to sit down with a group of middle-class Americans at a diner in Arlington, Va. Their stories were different, but they shared the same concerns: money is tight, and a potential tax hike at the end of the year would be devastating for them.

One man told me that his wife recently lost her job, that he had one son in college and another on his way. A higher tax bill would mean he may not be able to pay his mortgage, buy gas, or provide for his family’s basic needs.

Another told me his small business was struggling, and he feared that a tax hike would deal a massive blow. As he rightly pointed out, when customers see their taxes go up, they can’t afford the kinds of services his catering company offers.

These are just some of the stories I heard that day, and they were a reminder of how disconnected the debate in Washington can be from the real lives and real challenges of real people.

Let me tell you what I told them.

The president takes reducing our country’s deficit very seriously. And he believes we must take a balanced approach to do it. That means building on the more than $1 trillion in spending cuts he’s already signed with more entitlement savings.

But it also means asking the top 2 percent of Americans to pay a little more in higher tax rates. The truth is, there is no other way to reduce our deficit while keeping our economy growing and protecting the middle class. But some Republicans are dead set against asking the wealthiest among us to pay their fair share, and they’re willing to hold middle-class tax cuts hostage to get their way.

Maybe they just don’t realize what that would mean for the middle class. If Congress doesn’t step up, income taxes on the 98 percent of American middle-class families and 97 percent of small businesses will go up Jan.1.

A typical family of four could see its taxes go up by $2,200 next year. In Kansas alone, income taxes are scheduled to increase for 1 million middle-class families.

And it’s not just tax rates that will go up. Key expansions of the child tax credit are set to expire. Tax credits to help middle-class families send their kids to college are set to expire. Middle-class families can’t afford that. And frankly, neither can our economy.

It’s simple math. If middle-class families have less money in their pockets, they’re going to spend less. It means businesses, big and small, will suffer. Some will have to lay off workers. Others may have to fold entirely. That won’t just put a strain on our economy — it will stunt our growth and slow our recovery. And because we’re having this debate in the middle of the holiday season, millions of American families don’t know whether they can afford to spend what they otherwise would on gifts for their families and friends. That means that every day members of Congress drag their feet, they’re creating a drag on the economy

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/12/11/3961036/joe-biden-extend-the-middle-class.html#storylink=cpy

December 12, 2012 at 12:31 pm

This is an interview to listen to. FLOTUS knows exactly what kind of legacy she and POTUS want to live for future generations and she is keeping her eye on the ball. She and POTUS are ready for 2014 and they’re going to keep on fighting to protect the middle-class, minorities, voting rights, women, the working class etc. They know the mess the GOP is trying to propagate and they’re ready for them.

p.s. Thanks Janelle for the link.

45. 187 Melanie
    December 12, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Wow love this portrait…

46. 190 HZ
    December 12, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Good Morning TOD Family,
    Have a beautiful day and remember we won and still have work to do each day in any form that you may choose to help POB and team.
    Be kind to your spirit and give a smile to someone in your home or choose a photo in your home to walk by and give a loving thankful smile to.

((((((((((((((((((( Lots of Healing Hugs to Fred and Jackie’s sister.)))))))))))))))))))HZ

47. December 12, 2012 at 12:49 pm

From the Department of TOO STUPID FOR WORDS:

• 194 susanne
      December 12, 2012 at 2:35 pm

‘you are entering a period of testing’– sounds like they’re on a religious crusade, or in a movie with arnie as the square-jawed hero who fights off the bad guys. hard to believe u.s.congress members would fall for this kind of sermonizing.

48. December 12, 2012 at 12:53 pm

This is from Bobfr in previous thread. I’m 71 yrs old and am re-constituting myself to be aligned with this comment:
    “This time, it would be wise, to embed deeply in our societal DNA the reality that democracy is an every-day activity,
    to whatever extent possible, for Every citizen.”
    This is my new practice, from here to the end. I know that it is already operational for many of us here.
    Forward.

December 12, 2012 at 1:35 pm

This shouldn’t be funny, either (it’s an oldie, and I’ve posted it several times already, but I can’t get enough of it!):

• 202 4morefor44
      December 12, 2012 at 1:36 pm

ha! maybe it’ll knock some sense into him considering all the gibberish and lies he and all republicans peddle. although he immediately uses it to bash the “welfare state” some more, so probably not…sigh…

49. December 12, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Nancy Smash holding a presser in a couple of minutes

December 12, 2012 at 1:10 pm

51. December 12, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Can anybody identify the painting hanging on the wall of the Oval Office in this morning’s picture?

52. December 12, 2012 at 1:34 pm

December 12, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Good News but not for the GOP.

Fed Announces Bombshell New Stimulus Policy

he Federal Reserve took a genuinely unexpected step Wednesday afternoon when it announced it would significantly enhance its current monetary easing program. The Fed, for the first time, committed to keeping monetary policy loose until the economy crosses precise thresholds — specifically, an unemployment rate below 6.5 percent or a inflation above 2.5 percent.

It also upped its monthly asset purchases to from $40 to $45 billion.

Only one member of the Fed Open Market Committee dissented. The significantly more aggressive policy is designed to provide businesses greater incentive to invest, and comes, perhaps not coincidentally, as Congress nears a deadline past which taxes will increase and spending will be cut to the tune of about $50 billion a month.

The Fed’s willingness to pursue a dramatically new policy course comes after the election, before which committee members were much more divided about the direction the Fed should take.

54. December 12, 2012 at 1:45 pm

No More Nativity in D.C.
    Supreme Court Rules No Nativity Scene in DC
    —————————–

The Supreme Court has ruled that there cannot be a Nativity Scene in the United
    States’ Capital this Christmas season.

This isn’t for any religious reason. They simply have not been able to find three
    wise men in the Nation’s Capital.

A search for a Virgin continues.

There was no problem, however, finding enough asses to fill the stable.

55. December 12, 2012 at 2:09 pm

• 230 Vicki Green
      December 12, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Bobfr—how is it that yours is the only voice on this issue? Many, if not millions of folks live on their savings and this action to keep rates low means that savings will dwindle without any ability to make even small gains. I think it is evil.

56. 231 Japa21
    December 12, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Latest Gallup has PBO at 54/38 approval/disapproval rating. Meaning it is more like 60/27.

57. 233 dudette9t9
    December 12, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Back to work! :-)

• 235 susanne
      December 12, 2012 at 2:54 pm

that is a beautiful photo! just love it–and any time the president is wearing lei, i just feel happy. the fresh flowers give off a lovely fragrance, and also the cool soft presence of nature. in hawaii, the lei also represents a loving embrace, because the flowers encircle your shoulders with the aloha of the giver. so sweet.

58. 236 LDS
    December 12, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Hello Tod Family. I have been lurking for a long while because I am studying. I just wanted to say hello and getting excited about the Inauguration. Made my reservations in Sept. two sisters and three nieces wll be joining me. it’s a Family Affair!

Thank you Dudette and Yardam for keeping me up with your good vibes. It makes studying a lot easier. I loved the interview of FLOTUS on the Steve Harvey Show. My two sons just love and respect her so much. What an example for women, they both are saying and it feels good to hear men speak respectful that way. It started at home.
    Thank you Chips for everything you do. I could not see the snow on my iPad, but I voted for it.

The weather in NY is back and forth from cold to warm…to almost fall, damn near Spring in December!
    But we are still here. Still standing. Still celebrating Nov. 6th!
    I am so proud of us. I have a lumpinmythroat for what just happened in Detroit. That is why FLOTUS’ interview is so important. She summed it all up in a graceful way…..we still have work to do.

Back to studying. Will check in from time to time.

Thank you all so much for being wise, being healthy, being about love, being positive……JUST BEING! Itis so good to know that you all are here.

59. December 12, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Hi all you O’s!!!! I’m trying to remain chipper on this great getting up day on the TOD stoop doncha know. Plumbing, cabinet/appliance shopping, measuring, glazed or non-glazed (not my eyeballs). Now sink in bathroom dripping, sink too old, no parts in all of Northern America ARGGGHHHHH!!!!!! Happy holidays one and all!

60. December 12, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Corker bill would trade $900B in entitlement cuts for hike to debt ceiling

By Ramsey Cox
    Corker offered no details on how he would find his entitlement savings.

Ummm, so every year when we raise debt limit we have to cut 900 billion in spending until revenue and income even out.
    At that pace, 4 years and their will be no federal government, in essence the south would have won the civil war, albeit it took them over 150 years to do it. Jeeze…!

61. December 12, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Doomsday Conservatives: Too Many Hormones, Too Little Plan
    by David Frum Dec 12, 2012 1:30 PM EST

Washington Post columnist Marc Thiessen yesterday urged Republicans to repeat the tactics of summer 2011, and once again threaten to force a default on the obligations of the United States.

I wrote a short blog post suggesting that this doomsday approach was poorly considered.

December 12, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Dear David Frum,

Too little, too late. Nobody needs to hear your harping about anything.

Signed,
      The Rest of Us

62. 246 susanne
    December 12, 2012 at 3:03 pm

aloha and good hawaii morning chips and todville! it’s a beautiful day here and we’re excitedly waiting for the first family to arrive! maybe monday? don’t know but very excited anyway! weather is perfect: low 80s in the daytime, low 70s at night, passing showers to freshen the air, birds singing, dancers dancing, lei makers weaving aloha into their garlands.

• 247 theo67
      December 12, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I hear Boehner told his members to be prepared to work right up to Christmas Eve, and to be ready to work the week between Christmas and New Years. I can’t imagine that those lazy buggers will actually be available to work – but they may do it just to spoil the President’s plans.

63. December 12, 2012 at 3:08 pm

We will see-

Pelosi calls on GOP to bring up middle-class tax bill under suspension

By Pete Kasperowicz
    Pelosi wants the Senate-passed bill to maintain rates to be brought up under suspension, which would require a two-thirds vote.

64. 250 susanne
    December 12, 2012 at 3:11 pm

cry me a river dept:

‘ In a new fundraising pitch to pay outstanding debts, Mourdock’s camp claims he was caught in “liberal media crosshairs,” with “reporters more interested in defeating conservatives than reporting the news.” ‘

December 12, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Funny it was only a problem when it bit them in their conservative a$$es. Oops.

• 252 susanne
        December 12, 2012 at 3:26 pm

isn’t it interesting that the rethugs can blatantly, explicitly plan to undermine the work of the president, with the express aim of destroying his presidency and denying him a second term–and claim that this is their mandate. but if their racist, misogynist, oligarchist (is that a word?) rantings are not effective in swaying voters, then it’s the fault of the media. hmmm… reminds me of a certain candidate who just won a major prize for lie of the year.

65. 253 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    December 12, 2012 at 3:26 pm

2014 cannot come fast enough!

• 254 jackiegrumbacher
      December 12, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Cprbett is digging his own grave with these right wing decisions. He thinks he was elected governor of Mississippi. This means the federal government will step in an set up an exchange , which will be better than any botched up job he could put together. A lot of people in PA are spooked by the tradition that each party serves two terms as governor before a new party (and governor) is elected, but this guy is such poison that that tradition is going to be broken in 2014.

66. December 12, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Bo, our little star :-)

Bo is all over Mrs. Obama’s ‘Joy to All’ decor scheme, with “Boflake” ornaments scattered among the 54 trees that fill the mansion, and a larger-than-life pom-pom topiary of the First Dog taking pride of place in the Booksellers. The Bo cookies are the most popular with guests each year; the 2012 edition is a “seated” Bo with a red collar. The cookies tend to get pocketed by guests, rather than eaten. That’s a good thing, because the black dye in Bo’s “fur” frosting stains the lips, which has become something of a joke around the White House.

67. 256 susanne
    December 12, 2012 at 3:33 pm

desertflower posted this at the end of the last thread. it’s so important, i just want to give it another opportunity for viewing. thanks df, and hope you got some sleep!

68. December 12, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Completely off topic, but I just had to share, in honor of my upcoming nerdgasm on Friday:

So funny I needed a kleenex.

69. 260 xtine
    December 12, 2012 at 3:48 pm

[Madiba update, responding to treatment!]:

Nelson Mandela is suffering from the recurrence of a lung infection, officials said on Tuesday, as South Africa continued to pray for the 94-year-old statesman’s health.

Mandela has been undergoing medical tests since Saturday at a military hospital near Pretoria.

“Doctors have concluded the tests, and these have revealed a recurrence of a previous lung infection, for which Madiba is receiving appropriate treatment and he is responding to the treatment,” said presidential spokesman Mac Maharaj, using Mandela’s clan name.

December 12, 2012 at 3:55 pm

71. 263 carolmaewy
    December 12, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I wrote my representative Cynthia Luumis about a cause I feel strongly about. It was about dog fighting and getting tough on animal abuse. The letter I got back was just a generic form letter. She got over 175,000 letters since she has been in office and gets 1,100 a week and doesn’t have time to respond! That’s close to a quote, not kidding. I thought naughty words in my head! What a thing to say when they work one week and take two weeks off if I remember right. I better post before I get myself in trouble. Sen. Barrasso and Enzi do respond a “little” better.

• 264 theo67
      December 12, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Send a tweet about this and copy her – with a “.’ in front of her twitter handle, so all her followers can see what she thinks of them. That might get her attention.

You’re so right that they are barely working, claiming that they need time at home to handle constituent affairs, and then sending out form letters to those same constituents that they don’t have time to address their grievances. The President has time to respond to 10 letters every night, and he works every single day. Maybe she needs to check her job description again, and her title – which basically says she’s a “representative” of the people, and should be busy doing the people’s business. They are so infuriating and entitled!

72. 266 susanne
    December 12, 2012 at 3:57 pm

it’s on, suckers!

‘ The Senate Democratic leadership is announcing today that Warren will be given a seat on the Senate Banking Committee. As Forbes put it recently, Warren’s ascent to the Senate alone was “Wall Street’s worst nightmare.” This could make that nightmare a good deal worse.

Warren’s appointment to the Banking Committee was expected; Ryan Grim broke the news some time ago. But today’s announcement will make it official. ‘

73. 268 xtine
    December 12, 2012 at 4:03 pm

[Jeebus! If he could govern, he'd have found that out before opening his mouth!]:

“There is no way I’m signing a bill that costs that kind of money.” — Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker (R), abandoning a proposal to end same-day voter registration after learning it would cost the state $5.2 million and then some.