Dec

Sue

Hi everyone,

I’m so sorry to bring such heartbreaking – and very belated – news about one of our best friends from here, Sue in Minnesota.

It was only today, so many months later, that I was able to find out that Sue died on April 17.

Lots of you had been asking about her the last few months and I had been trying, with the help of Chi, who never stopped thinking about Sue, to trace her because we knew she had been unwell, and hadn’t commented at the blog since February.

It’s just impossible to express how painful this is, those of you who got to know Sue at the blog could only love her – she was kind, warm, inspirational, endlessly encouraging and full of passion, and in her later days she never let her ill health overcome her spirit. Her support and work for President Obama was immense, he meant everything to her and she talked often of feeling blessed to be alive in his time.

I read back through Sue’s comments today, she was here since almost the beginning, in 2009, and she never failed to make me smile. Especially her fiery determination to learn how to use Twitter – so many of you were helping her figure it out, VC her tutor-in-chief.

The name she chose at Twitter was simply perfect: @fairwarrioress

She hadn’t got around to mastering Twitter, but I smiled again when I saw that one of the 12 people she was following was Ambassador Susan Rice. I think I know who Sue would want to be the next Secretary of State. Although, I’d guess she was a John Kerry admirer too.

I can’t even begin to describe her kindness to me, her generous, supportive, beautiful emails, right from the early days, ones that made your day. A word from Sue was a blessing, she spread sunshine, she was a very, very lovely human being.

Yet, that’s the strangeness of all our blog friendships, we simply do not know what to do when contact is lost, we’re just left wondering and worrying. And so many of us feared the worst about Sue.

But, after she left us, her beloved Minnesota did her proud:

And that would have made her beam broadly.

The search function on the blog is useless, but I think this was the last post Sue commented on.

It included photos of Jodi Fisher, the 44-year-old woman who was diagnosed with an inoperable form of cancer and who created a bucket list of things she wanted to do before she died. One of them was to meet President Obama, which she did at San Francisco International Airport on February 16 (you can read more about Jodi here).

Sue wrote:

“Strength and God’s blessings to Jodi and those with her on her journey, she seems so full of light.”

Jodi died on March 17, Sue died exactly a month later.

Love you always, Fair Warrioress.

Like Jodi, you were so full of light.

As a message under Sue’s obituary in her local paper read:

“You touched our lives and will live in our hearts forever.”

Our thoughts go to Sue’s family for their immeasurable loss.

221 Responses to “Sue”

1. 1 yardarm756
    December 12, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Top 10 I bet!

2. 4 carolmaewy
    December 12, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Forward!

• 5 carolmaewy
      December 12, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Does a tie in time matter? Maybe a Silver Medal? It was by chance, especially since I’m so new here. I wasn’t trying, but I thought a stroke of luck might happen so I thought to use Forward. But I was in a rush to get my pound puppy, Sam to the Vet. Didn’t read the post by Chips giving a ecology for Sue and Josi. I wish I had the chance to follow them here. A community does mourn, even when you don’t know them. It happens in our community. My sympathy to your community who knew her. It was a beautiful a beautiful eulogy, Chips.

3. 6 carolmaewy
    December 12, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Great going yardarm. I’ll be back… Must take our dog to Vet. See you later, alligator.

4. 7 Rita
    December 12, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Lovely tribute, Chips. It’s never too late to celebrate the lives of those we love, respect and care about. My hope is that these two warriors are now in a better place.

Take care, everyone.

5. 8 Eveingeorgia
    December 12, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about Sue. I think I remember her questions about twitter, thanks for caring so much about the members of your TOD family, Chips.

6. 9 susanne
    December 12, 2012 at 4:03 pm

aloha sue, and condolences to your family and friends. you are an inspiration, living on in out hearts.

7. December 12, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Oh, how incredibly heart-breaking. Chips, you’re a sweetheart. Chi, thank you for letting us know. Such a fragile world.

Rest in peace, Sue.

8. 12 iamwomanofcolor
    December 12, 2012 at 4:03 pm

So sad and tragic…but to have you pay such respect and high regard for a member of the TOD family, let’s me and us all know, we are in the right place… Thank you for the just tribute to a true warrior…Sleep well and in peace dear Sue…

9. 13 Pamela
    December 12, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Oh no. I am too sad to hear this. Hugs all around for everyone. Thank you, Chipsticks.

10. 14 ber6964
    December 12, 2012 at 4:04 pm

So Sad to hear about Sue………

December 12, 2012 at 4:05 pm

So very sad to hear this about Sue, Chips. I am very sure she would have loved your dear tribute to her (and I think she has, indeed, already seen it). Thank you for taking the time to bring this news to us in such a caring way.

12. December 12, 2012 at 4:07 pm

so sorry to hear, brought me to tears. Thanks so much for finding out and sharing.

13. December 12, 2012 at 4:09 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    :cry:

Thank you Chips for the lovely words, and letting us know. I am so sad she didn’t see this EPIC reelection.

14. December 12, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Chips, I am so sorry to hear about Sue. I do remember her ambition to conquer twitter :) :) O:)

15. 19 sherijr
    December 12, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Thank you Chips and Chi for going the distance to find out about our Dear Sue.. although this is just sad, heart hurting news. No words right now, just very sad. My deepest condolences to all her loved ones, and to us. Rest well sweet Sue.

December 12, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I remember Sue. She was fantastic. Funny, kind, awesome, and an all around wonderful human being. This news is incredibly sad and I will miss her a lot but I will also remember her wittiness and the happy memories she brought to us on TOD. I send my condolences to her family and loved ones and hope that in time, when they think of her, a smile will show up on their faces.

17. 21 Proud Former White House Intern
    December 12, 2012 at 4:20 pm

May she rest in peace

18. 22 jackiegrumbacher
    December 12, 2012 at 4:21 pm

It’s heartbreaking to think that Sue just passed away from us and we didn’t realize it. What a sad time this must be for her family, especially as the holidays get closer. I hope somewhere she knew that her dream of a PBO victory came true. She would have loved to be part of it and I like to think of her smiling down on election night, glad we had all picked up the torch. Thanks for the wonderful tribute, Chips. God speed, Sue.

19. December 12, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Very sorry for your loss. What a lovely tribute.

20. 24 57andfemale
    December 12, 2012 at 4:22 pm

We’ve been wondering and wondering…….

Chips, your eulogy was eloquent and heartfelt.

As Sue sits with the angels, may be know that she has multiplied her goodness a gazillion-fold, through the shared voices and hearts of TOD.

Sue, we will always miss you. You are treasured in our hearts. My deepest condolences to your family.

21. December 12, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Heartbreaking indeed! Rest in peace, dear sweet Sue. We have something special here – it really hurts to know we lost one of us.

22. 26 peti4-44
    December 12, 2012 at 4:27 pm

This tribute is so deeply moving…in an internet world where many stay anonymous…but still, our souls find their ways. I didn’t know Sue, didn’t know of her existance, but this tribute is so wonderful!! 8 months after her death, Sue still impresses us. THANK YOU Chips. And may Sue rest in peace.

23. 27 Japa21
    December 12, 2012 at 4:30 pm

This is sad news. As much as we talk about TOD being a family of sorts (and we are) we just don’t have the ability to find out about things like this in real time. There are probably some exceptions where people know somebody else in real life but, although there atre many here from the Chicago area, I don’t know any of them except through here.

And, the reality is we do notice when somebody hasn’t been around for a while and may ask questions, but in time, that slips away until we are brought up to the real world through a post like this.

We have lost a family member and we are diminished by that. But over the last several months we have increased in size as a family as well.

Chips, I also want to say how much U appreciate your bringing this news to us. There are a lot of places where, even if the person who ran the blog found out this kind of news, it would never have been given out. Thank you.

• December 12, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Thank you Japa, I’m completely heartbroken, but that’s nothing to what her family must be going through. She was just so lovely. And my heart goes out to Chi, she never, ever stopped thinking and asking about Sue. I was just in email contact with her, she is so desperately sad, and is now trying to make contact with Sue’s brother to pass on our love.

• 29 COS
        December 12, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Thanks Chips for bringing this to our attention.

• 31 Betsy
        December 12, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Thank you Chips for telling us. I wondered about her for a long time and am so sad that she is no longer with us.

• 32 Pat Okerlund
        December 15, 2012 at 9:47 am

s this the same Sue that also used to post daily in the Obama website blog that typed in all caps because she couldn’t see well? I remember she had to go live with her brother in either Minn. or Michigan. If it is, she always had such intelligent uplifting things to say. I haven’t posted here for a long time because I was working on the Obama campaign 12 hours a day for the last year. I still read it every day. So much news and beautiful photos that I also use in my local newsletter. Thank you all. We will all miss Sue.

24. December 12, 2012 at 4:31 pm

May Sue and Jodi live on in our memories. There are so many really good people here on TOD. Thank you Chips for making and KEEPING it a place for “good” to thrive. I have always found TOD a place to go to find warmth and honesty in a place (THE INTERNET) where anonymity gives rise to hatred and indifference. Happy Holidays to all TOD family.

25. 34 anniebella
    December 12, 2012 at 4:32 pm

So sorry to hear this news. We all know that death is a part of life, but it still is hard.I pray both these women is at peace. I pray for their loved ones, God bless them all.

December 12, 2012 at 4:40 pm

We all know that death is a part of life, but it doesn’t make it any easier. It still is hard, so painful.

• 36 andogriff
        December 12, 2012 at 5:56 pm

You are so right, anniebella. This is really sad. Ms Chips wrote such a beautiful tribute, it had me sobbing.

26. 37 capricornrising
    December 12, 2012 at 4:33 pm

sue, resting in eternal peace… thank you for your last post..it made my heart well up with tears. thank you for making my heart bigger than what it was. what an angel you truly are now.

27. 38 susanne
    December 12, 2012 at 4:34 pm

senator danny akaka says farewell and aloha, after 22 years in office. a portion of his last speech in office:

‘ After I leave the Senate, it is my hope that other Members will continue to focus on making the federal government an employer of choice. We need the best and brightest working for our nation.

The work of the United States Congress will never end. But careers come to a close. Like the great men whose names are etched here in this desk, I am humbled to know I have left my mark on this institution.

I am proud to be the first Native Hawaiian ever to serve in the Senate, just as I am so proud to be one of the three U.S. Army World War II veterans who remain in the Senate today.

The United States is a great country. One of the things that makes us so great is that, though we have made mistakes, we change, we correct them, we right past wrongs.

It is our responsibility as a nation to do right by America’s Native people, those who exercised sovereignty on lands that later became part of the United States. While we can never change the past, we have the power to change the future.

Throughout my career, I have worked to ensure that my colleagues understand the federal relationship with Native peoples, and its origins in the Constitution. ‘

28. December 12, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Lump in throat; tear down cheek. Bless you, Chips for taking the time to learn what happened and sharing it with us. {{{{{{{{{{Chips}}}}}}}}}

• 40 capricornrising
      December 12, 2012 at 4:38 pm

yes tien le, {{{{{{{{{{Chips}}}}}}}}} <3 thank you.

• 41 sherijr
      December 12, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Yes ((((((((((Chips)))))))) thank you, for all the beautiful things you’ve said about Sue, someone we grew to know & care for here and who has been & will be missed.

29. December 12, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I have not commented for a while. But had to come out of lurkdom. I have constantly wondered about Sue. So sad to hear of her passing. May she rest in peace.

30. 43 sabreen60
    December 12, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Thank you Chips. May Sue eternally Rest In Peace.

31. 45 kasai
    December 12, 2012 at 4:45 pm

May you rest in peace Dear Sue…….You will be among the great ones..that are looking down on us with a great smile..
    God Bless ~ Peace

P.S. I may not blog everyday..but reading TOD’S family blog…has become part of my daily life…and when something happens, it effects me just as part of my family…..Love you all! And I can’t never say enough “thanks” to Chips for bring us up to date news on everything and all of you.
    Be well…You are all so precious!
    ~Peace

32. 46 xtine
    December 12, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Awwww! Blessings to Sue in her new place of being, and to her family who are not on her journey.

33. 47 betseyc
    December 12, 2012 at 4:48 pm

So sad to hear this news. And so, so, so appreciative of the loving energy that you put into finding out what happened, Chips, and for your beautiful eulogy. Your enormous heart makes this wonderful place so welcoming and special for all of us.

34. 48 donna dem 4 obama
    December 12, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Ahhh…so sad :-(

I sent her several emails and now I know why I never received a reply. May she Rest In Peace. She was a blessing to this blog.

35. 49 Boazwife
    December 12, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Rest in Paradise Sue!

36. 50 debz
    December 12, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Thank you Chips for bringing us this info about Sue. How sad.

37. 51 collegekay
    December 12, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I remember Sue. She was very sweet. May she rest in peace. :(

38. 52 LadyTNT
    December 12, 2012 at 4:53 pm

May she Rest in Peace.

39. 53 xtine
    December 12, 2012 at 5:00 pm

[Lady parts return & are named Emergency Legislature!]:

In foreign states emergency legislation is generally reserved for … well, emergencies. You know, like a tornado hit a town and they need emergency funds to dig out the tourist attractions. Or they’re going to war against Arizona because Arizona is just asking for it.

Not so in Texas. In Texas, emergency legislation is whatever Rick Perry thinks will get him elected President once the public forgets he can’t count to three.

And you know, of course, that has to do with the famed uterus. It’s called the Fetal Pain bill.

“Fetal pain” is the newest frontier in the anti-abortion movement; similar bills have already been passed in Nebraska, Alabama, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Oklahoma, Georgia, Arizona and Louisiana. That’s despite the fact that there’s no conclusive evidence to suggest that fetuses actually feel pain . To make its case, Americans United for Life usually cites this study from 1987 while ignoring several more recent, less sketchy studies that debunk it. (You can find a few of those studies here, here and here.) The science suggests that fetuses feel pain at 29 to 35 weeks at the absolute earliest.

• 54 susanne
      December 12, 2012 at 5:04 pm

seems to me it’s time for the rethugs to introduce legislation making it illegal for women to bear children. only old white men have the necessary perspective on pregnancy and childbirth to do the job correctly. all fetuses should be implanted in the abdomen’s of old white men, who are selected based on their voting record. only rethugs and other rwnjs need apply. time to stop this crazy tradition of women bearing and caring for children!

• 55 Vicki Green
        December 12, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Hahahaha. Couldn’t agree more. What can hard working progressive mothers possibly know about childbearing and childcare.

40. 56 Titti
    December 12, 2012 at 5:08 pm

OMG what sad news! May she RIP and thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends.

41. 57 Walter
    December 12, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Rest in peace Sue, I won’t weep for you because you are here.

42. 58 yardarm756
    December 12, 2012 at 5:12 pm

For Sue and Jodi.

• 59 yardarm756
      December 12, 2012 at 5:22 pm

The same person performing for PBO, FLOTUS and the VP AND HIS WIFE.

December 12, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Thank you for posting that, to honor Sue, Yardarm. I always like to watch the President when he is listening to a song like this, although this song always stands on its own. He is so deeply in the moment, as though he’s alone in the room. You wonder where his thoughts are. Because Sue was so full of life, I’m sure she also would have noticed the young man sitting behind the President, and how many times he tried to stifle a yawn. Life goes on, and we’ll bring Sue forward with us, for four more years, even though most of us never met her in person.

• December 12, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Thanks for this Yardarm. Amazing Grace is a favourite to end my services. Usually I like the version from Walela but this is empowering as well. I will download his version to share with my group. I love that this site offers so much more than just the shared support of PBO. Everyone brings an amazing array of knowledge and comfort in so many ways. I have never seen anything like it anywhere.

December 12, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Thank you yardarm756, for posting Wintley Phipps singing “Amazing Grace”.

• 65 yardarm756
        December 12, 2012 at 7:42 pm

DMI. It was the least I could do.

• 66 HZ
        December 12, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Yardarm, thanks so much for your tribute in sharing this powerful and beautiful song, Amazing Grace. I met Mr. Wintley Phipps at a concert, and his voice is so powerful as in his rendition here. What a lovely tribute to Sue. She always had a lovely and focused spirit within our TOD Family.
        Sue would love this lovely song, and I feel that with the lovely tribute that Chips gave along with the lovely comments. Sue is smiling all around us tonight. Sue was such an inspiration to me on this site. I will miss her very much. However, I will carry her memory with me daily. My candles are lit for Sue and her family in her honor. We kiss a lovely family member with an” angel kiss of peace “in her resting place.

On a note of music, Yardarm, the young man featured next to Wintley Phipps, is Larnell Harris. I auditioned in the late sixties to sing duet with him. I made it, but I turned them down twice, because I felt that my ‘calling’ was to be in the classroom. Both opportunities were an honor in my life.

I have the album with Wintley Phipps singing that song that you dedicated to Sue. It is a beautiful album with beautiful hymns. I will play it in memory of our beautiful Sue. Thanks Chips for a beautiful tribute to Sue. This is a beautiful haven and family to be a part of during my life. Thank you all so much. (((((((((((( Precious Memories To Our Sue))))))))))))HZ

• December 12, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Beautiful tribute Yardarm. I’ve always loved Whitley Phipps’ booming voice — so powerful it can literally tear down walls with a mighty fury! His story about the origin of the song is soul strirring. He takes the audience to church and school at the same time! Amen!

43. December 12, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I am so sad. I had no idea.

Sue, may you Rest In Peace.

44. December 12, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I’m so so sorry to hear about Sue and Jodi. Rest In peace, the both of you :-(

• 72 hgerhard
      December 12, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I remember Sue very well. She and I were both struggling to catch up with the new world of Twitter. She was always so positive and inspirational.
      May she rest in peace and Jodi as well.

45. December 12, 2012 at 5:18 pm

In Memoriam

The light goes out quickly;
    it seems that so soon
    the gloom of before returns.

But only if your eyes are closed.
    Wide open, that memory lingers:
    of light enveloping you,

giving you the clarity of sight,
    of the possibilities which only
    that light, her light,

could bring out. Mourn,
    for the light has blinked out;
    but rejoice, for the light

is eternal, suffusing
    every heart, and burned
    into every mind.

46. 75 Titti
    December 12, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Chips what a wonderful tribute. I check the blog in the morning when my colleagues are getting their cuppa (don’t do tea – shocker!) and last thing at night and this news is such a shock. Thanks for all you do – a fitting tribute to Sue indeed.

47. December 12, 2012 at 5:21 pm

thank you for letting us know and continuing to do what you do to keep us connected to each other…through all times.

48. 77 elo4obama/biden
    December 12, 2012 at 5:23 pm

I’m so sorry to hear of the death of Sue in Minnesota. I’ve thought of her several times this year. I just thought life had taken her away from posting. She was an absolute regular for much of my time lurking here. It’s funny how I’ll never ( more than likely) meet anyone here, but I appreciate each and everyone of you, especially those of you who post daily! Thank you Ms. Chips and Chi for finding out about Sue and sharing it with the rest of us. My heart, thoughts and prayers go out to Sue’s family and friends. Rest in peace fairwarrior, you inspired me many times with your thoughtful words and expressiveness. Everyone take care and hold and love those in your lives just a little more. I know I will. God bless you Sue.

49. 81 Me4obama (@Me4obama)
    December 12, 2012 at 5:25 pm

OMG Sue, may you RIP. This is so sad. I remember her so well and I can’t believe she is gone.. :sad: thank you Chips for letting us know.

50. December 12, 2012 at 5:28 pm

This is such sad news. This family at TOD is such a blessing and though most of us have never met the others, we feel so strongly for every person and miss people when we don’t see them around. God bless Sue’s family, especially at this time.

51. 84 dotster3
    December 12, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Oh no—–I am so sad to hear the news about Sue. Her comments were always fun to read and meaningful—–ones I always zeroed in on. I too wondered about her and feared bad news——because I think some of her last comments were about an illness, being in the hospital, coming home from the hospital—was it a brain tumor?—-that’s sortof my vague recollection. I wish there was a way to let her family know that what she shared of herself here was appreciated by so many of us. And thanks to chips for that heartfelt tribute. Sad.

• 85 Pat Okerlund
      December 15, 2012 at 9:25 am

Is this the same Sue that also posted daily in the Obama website blog that typed in all caps because she couldn’t see well? If it is, she always had such intelligent uplifting things to say. I remember she said she had to go live with her brother. I haven’t posted here for a long time because I was working on the Obama campaign 12 hours a day for the last year. I still read it every day, though. I do miss Sue.

52. 91 criquet
    December 12, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I too remember Sue and had wondered along with others what had happened to her that she was not posing anymore.
    Condolences to her family and her friends including those at TOD.

53. December 12, 2012 at 5:44 pm

In memory of all those who have given so much and now rest in the arms of their beloved.
    In those quiet moments in the still of the night
    Remember to rejoice and celebrate life
    Do not think of me gone and weep
    I am not there, I do not sleep
    I am a thousand winds that blow
    I am the diamond glints on snow
    I am the sunlight on the grain
    I am the gentle autumn’s rain
    When you awaken in the morning hush
    I am the swift uplifting rush
    of quiet birds in flight
    I am the soft stars that shine
    You will hear my gentle voice
    and remember to rejoice
    Never give up your fight
    and remember always
    to Celebrate Life…. —- Author Unknown

54. December 12, 2012 at 5:45 pm

At least in the midst of this sadness, we can rejoice that McCain failed to weasel his way onto the Foreign Relations Committee: http://democrats.senate.gov/2012/12/12/committee-assignments-for-113th-congress-approved-by-democratic-steering-committee/

55. 104 sonjiaduncan
    December 12, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Thank you Chips for the kind words to let us know of Sue’s passing. Rest in Peace Warrior Princess.

56. 105 prettyfoot58
    December 12, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Rest In Peace Sue…

57. 106 andogriff
    December 12, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Thanks for letting us know about Sue, Ms Chips… I remember her comments so well, and her energy and love for PBO. May she rest in peace.

58. December 12, 2012 at 5:52 pm

My condolences also to “Sue from Minnesota” her family, friends and fellow TODers. I remember her postings, very positive, sensitive and devoted to PBOs vision. I think I can recall her postings when she wrote on the 2008 OFA blog.

May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

Chips you are a treasure and THANK YOU for this tribute and site. May I also extend my sympathies to you Chi. You helped me directly in the lead-up to the election and I will always remember your kindness and dedication to supporting the wider PBO community who live outside the States :)

• 111 susanne
      December 12, 2012 at 6:06 pm

thanks for this, berny. it was good to remember how much love sue inspired. what a wonderful ohana chips has created here~

• 112 jackiegrumbacher
      December 12, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Berny, thank you so much for finding this. It helps to explain what happened and shows her incredible courage.

59. 113 proudmemberofglobalzero
    December 12, 2012 at 6:01 pm

I had no idea Sue was even ill. I thought she was going to help a friend that was ill without family. I am shocked! I am so saadd….My thoughts are no where else right now. Thank you for the news, sad as it was.

60. 114 susanne
    December 12, 2012 at 6:10 pm

from the white house web site (includes nice photo of our first family helping out at a food bank)

‘ New Report Shows Volunteering and Civic Involvement at Five-Year High’

61. 115 Claire
    December 12, 2012 at 6:13 pm

So very, very sorry to read about Sue. Deep blessings to her family and loved ones. What a lovely tribute Chips, to a very worthy person.

62. December 12, 2012 at 6:14 pm

R.I.P. Sue, may the angels watch over you.

63. December 12, 2012 at 6:14 pm

What sad news – but such a beautiful tribute, Chips. Thanks for working to find out what had happened to Sue, and to Chi for always inquiring.

December 12, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I’m so saddened to hear this. I remember her wonderful, supportive comments and how she was always “spot on.” Thanks for updating us, Chips. Rest in Peace dear Sue. Condolences to everyone who knew and loved Sue. We will miss her and her wonderful comments here on TOD!

65. December 12, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Goodbye Sweet Sue, you will be missed.

66. 120 Maubyandice
    December 12, 2012 at 6:29 pm

So sorry to hear this news. As painful as it is, thanks for letting us know Chips. Her comments were always so positive.

67. 121 Esi
    December 12, 2012 at 6:30 pm

I have to come out lurkdom to offer my condolences to Sue. I have only known about TOD early this year (in January) and have since come here everyday, to admit several times a day, for sanity and community. I am touched again and again by Chips compassion, capacity to love and give off self, and that is the spirit and atmosphere she has created on this blog. I am grateful for what you do Chip, to show us that we all have the capacity to do good, to touch the lives of people we don’t know if we are willing to pause and be. Here at TOD, you built a community of wonderful people, brilliant, gifted, giving, funny and …. just present, because you ask it of us. Thank you for what you, for opening a space for us to love. Thank you. English is not my first language but I hope you will sense my sense of gratitude.

68. December 12, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Great read at The People’s View about just how backed into a corner are the GOP, especially re the debt limit: http://www.thepeoplesview.net/2012/12/the-gops-debt-ceiling-leverage-delusion.html

69. 126 nospin
    December 12, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Those we love don’t go away,
    They walk beside us every day,
    Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear.

My condolences to the family

70. 127 pugeretto
    December 12, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Good evening TOD. This is a wonderful tribute you have for Sue, she must have been so special and I’m sorry to all who are missing her tonight. Yardam’s videos, the candles, the past diary & poetry are fitting for such a wonderful person – Chips, that was a very moving tribute

71. 128 Dakota
    December 12, 2012 at 6:39 pm

This is the first time in a few days that I’ve been able to post. I’m so very sorry to hear of the passing of our dear Sue. She was always such an inspiration. My sincerest condolences go out to her family.

72. 129 Judith Fardig
    December 12, 2012 at 6:40 pm

So sad to learn of the passing of one of our TOD family.

73. 130 Andy46
    December 12, 2012 at 6:43 pm

R.I.P Sue
    My condolences to Sue’s family and her TOD family

December 12, 2012 at 6:44 pm

No, oh no! I hate this! I feared the silence and I appreciate hearing what’s what at last, but I hate this! Sue in Mn, wherever you are I have missed you and I continue to do so. I have enjoyed your company here in TODville and our banter and I hope you did too. I regret never having the chance to say ‘au revoir’. I won’t forget our time together, Sister Sue. R.I.P friend!

75. 132 lisalovesobama
    December 12, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Rest in peace, Sue. Thanks for loving and supporting PBO.

76. 133 Jewelz
    December 12, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Rest in Peace Sue.

77. 134 lmrj
    December 12, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Delurking to offer my condolences. I too was wondering what had happened to Sue. CHIPS, THANK YOU and Chi for searching for and finding the answer. I so admire what you do with this blog every day. My admiration has increased x 1,000,000!!! You are the best.
    Rest peacefully Sue. You are already missed.

78. 135 carla4obama
    December 12, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Thank you Sue..for your life and all that you did to better this world. Our TOD family is saddened.

December 12, 2012 at 7:22 pm

This is for Sue, Jodie and their loved ones.

80. December 12, 2012 at 7:32 pm

So sorry to hear about Sue. I remember her witty posts very suppotive of PBO. I also remember her postings
    on the OFA blog. You are missed dear warrior, but we are sure you looked down and smiled on Nov 6th, knowing your work and support were not in vain.

81. 139 JER
    December 12, 2012 at 7:33 pm

“Death leaves a heartache no one can heal; love leaves a memory no one can steal.” Rest In Peace, Sue.

82. December 12, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Wow. I am so sorry to hear that. I wish her family comfort and peace during this difficult time. I am a little confused (not uncommon for moi). Is Sue in Minnesota is the same as Sue Duvall Smith?

December 12, 2012 at 7:56 pm

No they are different. Sue Duvall Smith has been posting here regularly – I think her last post was a day or two ago. :)

• December 12, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Thanks…HF for clarifying. I was wondering because in Chips’ link above, I kept seeing Sue D’s name in the comment section. I was wondering if it had really been that long since I’d seen a post from her. Ahh…..fu-get-about it. Rose Nyland in the hose. Told ya I was type sloooooow. :)

83. 144 carolyn
    December 12, 2012 at 7:43 pm

We never know what a day will bring, and this sad news is the kind we don’t like to get, but thank you Chips for finding out. Sue was one who was always positive and upbeat. I too thought she had gone to take care of an ill family member. She never mentioned any problems she had, so this came as a surprise. Like many others, I was looking for her happy, triumphant comment after Nov. 6, and it never came….now I know why.
    This place is amazing. Though we didn’t know Sue personally, we all feel her loss. Amazing how we’ve built an extended family here.
    Thank you for your lovely tribute to her, and thanks to all who wrote loving tributes. There is not another place like this on the web. We all know we count, and that is priceless.

84. 145 GGail
    December 12, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Chipsticks – thank you so much for letting the TOD family know that one of us has made the transition from this Earth. Your tribute was heartfelt and beautiful. I remember Sue so very well and missed her, but thought that she had decided to lurk and not comment anymore.

May Sue rest in the loving arms of our Heavenly Father.

I also remember our Thread on Jodi. I’m so happy that she too is at peace and no longer in pain.

Thank you Chipsticks!

• 146 4morefor44
      December 12, 2012 at 8:30 pm

i think sue is still “lurking” and commenting in different ways now. let’s get out there and win the house in 2014, just as sue would want us to do!!!

85. December 12, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Very sad news. Thanks for letting us know.

86. 148 majiir
    December 12, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Thanks, Chips, for letting us know what happened to Sue in MN. I’ve been wondering for some time why she wasn’t posting her anymore. I would always look forward to reading her very upbeat and sincere posts. This is indeed a shock. May she rest in peace. She will be sorely missed at TOD.

87. 149 mtmarilyn
    December 12, 2012 at 8:26 pm

OMG, My prayers and thoughts to Sue’s family. I was thinking of all those we hadn’t heard from in awhile and she was one of them. I loved her gentle fierce comments. She is missed.

Chips, thank you for showing us this is a family. We love and care about each other. This is what America is. Take care everyone!

88. 151 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    December 12, 2012 at 8:44 pm

My heart is heavy, learning of Sue’s passing. I remember her well; first met at barackobama.com, then here. I pray that her family remembers her with joy; I will.

89. December 12, 2012 at 8:46 pm

When I saw the candle I thought someone needed a prayer in TOD…omg, this hit me hard, my heart hurts. I remember Sue from 2010 and also when she was trying to learn “the twitter” and often wondered why I hadn’t seen her comments lately. Chips, thank you for the beautiful eulogy you wrote for her and I also wish healing to her family and friends. I hope eventually they will think of her and smile. To all of my TOD family, I look forward to seeing your comments and when I don’t, I worry about you all. I know Sue found a group of folks and they are sitting around “high fiving” about the re-election….. Prayers, prayers, prayers…….

90. December 12, 2012 at 8:48 pm

tribute….not eulogy…

December 12, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Sorry to hear about Sue. My condolences to her family. She was a very passionate PBO supporter.

That’s a nice tribute, chips. May she rest in peace.

92. 156 anameti
    December 12, 2012 at 9:11 pm

So sorry to hear about Sue. May her soul rest in peace

93. 157 1jam4pbo
    December 12, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Dear Sue, we have missed you so much and will continue to miss your voice. Rest in His Eternal Peace.

Thanks Miss Chips for never giving up, you know us so well, we missed her. Thanks too for your wonderful Tribute to Sue.

Good night TOD family and thank you all for those lovely words to Sue.

94. 158 goldendreamer
    December 12, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I’m really sorry to hear about Sue and Jodi. I remember Sue being so positive and upbeat around TOD! Both will be missed dearly.

95. 159 Smoothscotch
    December 12, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Wow, Sue. May you rest in peace. Thanks for the wonderful memories.

96. 160 nathkatun7
    December 12, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I am very sad to learn that our Dear Sue is no longer with us. We were all blessed by her presence among us. Thank you so much Chipsticks for those beautiful words of remembrances which captured everything that many of us felt and remember about Sue. My deepest condolences to her family!

97. 161 Walking_on_ Sunshine
    December 12, 2012 at 9:32 pm

This is so sad. I had wondered what happened to Sue. She was commenting here every day so it was strange that she would stop without explanation. She may be smiling down on the State of Minnesota and the country right now. But I will light a candle and pray she is at peace and in a place where angels belong.

98. 162 ladyvader
    December 12, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Delurking to comment one of my favorite books of all time is A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle and my favorite part where one of the eccentric characters was found out to have once been a star. I always like to imagine that those loving, caring, exceptionally bright people we may chance to meet was once a star that fell from the sky as I will think of Sue since I wandered over to this wonderful sight from the web and was introduced to her and the rest of TOD family. Peace and Agape to Sue and her family. May they find comfort…

99. December 12, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Thank you for your lovely tribute to Sue, dear Chips. This is, indeed, a very special place and the love expressed in this thread is overwhelming evidence of that fact.

#Peace

100. December 12, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Thank you, Chips, for pursuing this. Sue always seemed a good person and has gone to her reward. I’m sure her family has many warm and happy memories. The pain of loss measures the depth of our love.

101. 165 Left-Indie
    December 12, 2012 at 9:49 pm

That really was a fantastic tribute, Chips. I hope her family gets to see it.

102. December 12, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Thank you so much Chips for posting this lovely tribute to SUE!

I remember Sue because she ALWAYS writes in CAPS! However, I thought she was missing from the blog because was upset that the President stated his approval for same sex marriage. However, with the love she had for this President, I should have know better.

Sue, may you rest in peace and we surely do miss you and your comments on this blog.

I am so happy that I am a member of this extended family. This is the best blog.

103. December 12, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Dearest Chips and TOD Family! I’m overcome with deep sadness. Hearfelt condolences to friends and family of Sue and Jodi. I hope they find their way here to see how their loved ones touched so many. Sue and Jodi live on in all of those who loved and cared about them.

For Sue and Jodi… Rest in Peace

104. 173 Asher in Boston
    December 12, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Oh my, this is so sad. May Sue and jodi’s souls rest in eternal peace. Sue, you are dearly missed.

105. 174 kasai
    December 12, 2012 at 10:03 pm

This one goes out to you Sue…

106. December 12, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Sad news for the TOD family. May Sue and jodi’s souls rest in eternal peace and love.

107. 178 PrayerWarriorforObama
    December 12, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Rest, Sue, for now you have found true and lasting peace.

And may God bless Chips and the beautiful souls that occupy this blog.

108. 179 Dudette
    December 12, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Someone wrote this comment below another version of this song on YouTube: “Peter Gabriel is really Saint Peter. He sings this song when you get into Heaven and see everyone you love.” …I think she might be right. <3

109. December 12, 2012 at 10:46 pm

May Sue rest is Perfect Peace. I pray she did not suffer before passing. God Bless her soul.

110. December 12, 2012 at 10:47 pm

So, for a moment of lightness, my menu for tonight:

Homemade lentil soup
    Crusty Italian filone bread

And I’m about to make a cocktail and take the first sip in Sue’s honor.

111. December 12, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Is this the part where we throw a Wake for Sue? Beers all around? Send her out in style?

112. 199 taiping1
    December 12, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Thanks Chips for such a beautiful tribute Sue was a good soul, fierce, loving supporter and member of this community that you have created. I am posting fromHa Lung Bay in Vietnam where Internet reception is spotty. But wanted to add
    My regrets.

• 200 Jazz
      December 12, 2012 at 11:52 pm

This is such a loving memorial for Sue in MN beginning with you Chips and added by each who has posted here in the way of words, songs and poems. Such a lovely tribute. Time and space unites you, Sue, with all of us. I pray that your family can be assisted in the grieving process and remember the happy times. Blessings to all.

113. December 12, 2012 at 11:02 pm

As I read through all the comments I was struck by the wonder of this blog that allowed all of us to know and love Sue, and to today pay tribute to her spirit. Without TOD none of this would have been possible.

114. 203 LunarSea
    December 12, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Can’t tell you how sad this is to hear. We were all missing her and wondering what she was up to.

I had created a narrative in my mind that she was busy running a precinct with OFA, because in my mind that is how I pictured her in her absence: regaining her health, motivating voters and volunteers, holding her reps’ feet to the fire and inspiring everyone with her wit and fierce dedication.

Was that her in the crowd meeting PBO at the airport, stretching out a hand to greet him? Wasn’t she in that picture taken at a local shop grinning from ear to ear as PBO stopped by for lunch? I thought I saw her at the steps of the state capital reminding the corrupt legislator just who he worked for? Wasn’t she holding that funny sign that made you stop to think (even as it made you smile) at that rally? Yes, even through the mixed up online world of bits and bytes she could make me smile, happy warrior that she was!

She would have been proud of the outcome of the election. I’m sure she would have something to say about Robme and his 47% entanglement. Somewhere she’s smiling….

ChipsChica thanks for that wonderful tribute. I know it couldn’t have been easy.

Have I told you all how special you all are? You all contribute something unique and powerful and full of wonder to this dynamic site and to my days. I thank you all. (((((Hugs all around)))))

115. 204 dudette9t9
    December 12, 2012 at 11:07 pm

I could swear I posted this song in honor of Sue’s birthday… gosh I wish I could find the post… anyway, I thought this was fun!

116. 210 WilTal
    December 12, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Lurker in for a comment. Chips, my heart is saddened by your loss and my thoughts and prayers are with you and the TOD family. Your tribute to Sue is so moving and brought tears to my eyes. How special you all made her feel with the post “Welcome Back Sue in Minnesota” and told her how much she was missed. The love that is shared here every day goes beyond compare . Now there are two more Angels watching over the TOD family and PBO and his family. Thank you for all that you do!

117. 211 dudette9t9
    December 12, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Found a comment from Sue with her picture/gravatar wishing PBO and FLOTUS Happy Anniversary in Oct 2011

• 212 susanne
      December 12, 2012 at 11:33 pm

thanks for finding that sweet comment, dudette. i like to think sue enjoyed the company here, took strength in the community, and felt the loving support of all who shared her intention that our president be elected, re-elected, and lauded. and that this place was a source of comfort for her in the hard times, like it has been for so many of us, as well as a lot of fun every single day. sue, we’re so sorry you had to go, but we’re so glad you came~

118. 214 LDS
    December 12, 2012 at 11:27 pm

In sweet memory of Sue.
    We are blessed to have met that ray of light that made a difference here. We will truly miss her, but the love remains on forever.
    Her spirit will keep us strong, fighting the good fight. What a warrior!
    Never say good bye……good night.

119. December 12, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Oh, I’m so sorry to hear that Sue has passed. She was a delightful soul — funny, warm, and feisty. She was one of the first people I really interacted with here at TOD. Early on when I started posting, I would sign my posts advocating for a media boycott. Sue would jump in so many times and “join” me in my little boycott — a two-woman anti-media crusade, lol. I have missed her.

Rest in sweet peace, Sue. Much love to you and your family. ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Thank you, Chips, for telling all of us family here about our sister. Love you.

120. 218 Nena20409
    December 13, 2012 at 5:47 am

Wow I am so proud of this site and the patron of this site is a special Gem. Your tribute to Sue is well done. Thank you Chips. It takes a special kind of a person to worry about Us and those who post here. Chi, I appreciate your contribution.

May Sue and Jodi rest in Heavenly Peace.

I read all the comments. They were very thoughtful. I remembered a few months ago many were wondering how Sue was doing. It wasn’t coincidental. Her spirit lived and touch all whom she touched by her easy going, thoughtful and inspirational comments here. Her passing is sad. But those who loved her will NEVER forget her. May Sue In Minnesota and Jodi rest in Peace.

121. December 13, 2012 at 11:08 am

Sue, Thank you for sharing so much of yourself with us. May you Rest in Peace. Love and best wishes to your family as they during this time of great loss. Thanks for bringing us up to speed, Chips.

122. December 13, 2012 at 10:08 pm

RIP Sue! RIP!
    May the Lord be with you and your wonderful spirit!

123. 221 Mae who love our CIC
    December 16, 2012 at 10:49 am

May the beauty of our memories of Sue be a sustainer in our heart and comfort in our minds.

Beautiful tribute TOD.