Dec

Rise and Shine

Michael Tomasky: The Republicans’ Moment of Truth ….. Will McConnell and Boehner allow votes on any last-minute deal? A more emphatic way of phrasing it is, will they finally put the country ahead of their party for a change, and ahead of their party’s unaltered view that any posture toward Obama other than belligerence equals capitulation to an enemy? …. We’re going to learn a lot about the post-election Republican Party this weekend.

….. The only thing the Republicans are ready to play, as usual, is roulette, with the cocked gun against the country’s temple, unfortunately, and not their own …. Never have the priorities for survival and success of a major party’s Washington politicians been so utterly at odds with the priorities required for the country’s survival and success. These Washington Republicans represent the one-third of the country that hates government, despises Obama, and considers obstruction victory.

The rational two-thirds wants compromise, good-faith bargaining, higher taxes on the wealthy, a reasonably strong safety net, and lower defense spending. But the obstructionist one-third wants the opposite. McConnell and Boehner aren’t ideologically committed to that one-third in the way that Jim DeMint and Paul Ryan are, but so far, they have never once stood up to it for the country’s sake. We’ll find out this weekend who they really are.

Full post here

NBC: This Sunday, David Gregory sits down exclusively with President Barack Obama. This will be Mr. Obama’s 11th appearance on Meet the Press, his second time as the commander in chief …. His most recent appearance was on Sept. 20, 2009 in the Roosevelt Room of the White House.

President Barack Obama talks on the phone in the Oval Office, Dec. 28 (Photo by Chuck Kennedy)

Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA) speaks to a gathering outside the US Capitol to protest inaction by Congress to pass legislation to avoid the fiscal cliff, December 28

ThinkProgress

NYT: Republicans haven’t made it easy for the Northeast to get the $60.4 billion in aid it needs to recover from Hurricane Sandy. They have objected to the amount and tried to slash it. They have demanded that $3.4 billion of the aid for flood control be offset by spending cuts in other programs. And in the Senate, as on virtually all bills, they filibustered the aid package proposed by President Obama.

That filibuster was broken last week, allowing the Senate to pass the bill late on Friday. But it is not clear whether the House will even take up the bill in the remaining days of the session. If it does not, that will push desperately needed aid off until the next session of Congress, wasting weeks of time preparing and voting on a fresh bill…..

Full editorial here

Business Insider: The Obama campaign’s digital operations proved to be a crucial point of success that led to the re-election of President Barack Obama in November.

Based on a sophisticated effort and larger emphasis on digital and new media, the Obama campaign engaged supporters and raised an unprecedented amount of money through its digital efforts.

How did the Obama campaign become so effective in the digital realm? Engage, an interactive digital political agency in Washington, D.C., recently published a report entitled “Inside the Cave.” It features a 93-page, step-by-step in-depth look at the secrets to the Obama digital team’s success.

We’ve collected 15 of the report’s key topics and published them here.

See here

MoooOOoooOOOooorning everyone.

207 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 japa21
    December 29, 2012 at 8:28 am

GM TODers

2. December 29, 2012 at 8:38 am

Good morning. My iPad is very happy to see this new thread! :). :)

• December 29, 2012 at 8:40 am

Morning Tnmtngirl!! Sorry for letting that thread get sooooooooo long, intended posting a new one but fell asleep :???:

• December 29, 2012 at 8:44 am

It’s okay. You fell asleep—-that was your body telling you that is exactly what you needed to do. :)

• December 29, 2012 at 8:50 am

Waking up is always the hard part for me Tnmtngirl, no matter how loud my body shouts at me to get out of bed. :oops:

• 13 proudmemberofglobalzero
          December 29, 2012 at 8:57 am

Good Morning all. Love that it is Saturday and I am ACTUALLY off. Congrats on 1st Japa. Love the Presidents comments yesterday, Really pumped up after that.

Funny, took my hubby and youngest daughter out last night. We went to dinner…had a few Margaritas and went to see Le Mes. My husband and daughter saw it on Christmas day and wanted me to see it so they saw it again.

All I could think of during that movie is the fight they were fighting is the fight we have right now with the GOP! Nothing has changed. On my little critic, Russel Crow was amazing. For someone who does not sing …he did a wonderful job. Ann Hathaway was wonderful but, the girl that played Corsett was the same girl in the movie “Mean Girls”…just could not get over the fact that movie was so bad..saw it on the TV..plus her singing reminded me of the original “Snow White”…lots of “bravado” to help her hit those high notes.

Cleaning house and getting chores done with my daughter today. We shopped yesterday. Her computer crashed and I had to buy her a new one for school. Expense that I did not expect but she is working so hard in school….she needs all the aides she can get. I will be in and out all day….I always read but do not post….my mother always told me, “silence is the best way unless you can improve the conversation”. You all need no improvement,.

• December 29, 2012 at 9:05 am

“Silence is the best way unless you can improve the conversation”

:-)

Morning Proud!!! Ugh, sorry to hear about the crashed computer, These expenses always seem to rear their ugly heads when you least need them.

Have a great day!

• December 29, 2012 at 9:18 am

Nevertheless, I always love hearing from you, Sue. Have a wonderful, work-free Saturday!!

3. December 29, 2012 at 8:51 am

Good Morning Chips welcome home. Congrats Japa on first.

4. 18 Grab A Mop Grace
    December 29, 2012 at 8:55 am

Good Morning TOD gang!
    Woke up to MORE snow this morning. Ughh!
    Time to bundle up and grab a shovel.
    Have a productive day.

Obama/Biden 4 more years!

5. 19 idon
    December 29, 2012 at 8:56 am

Great weekly message and right to the point – love it. Retweeted.

6. December 29, 2012 at 9:04 am

Potty stop. Have a story to share afterwards. Tease……:)

December 29, 2012 at 9:05 am

Love that digital team graphic. Tweeted.

GM Chips. So back home finally ?

8. December 29, 2012 at 9:05 am

Btw- that new Matt Damon Movie about tracking looks good. Old Matt is a firebagger and he pisses me off, but his movies are sound.
    Good morning!

9. 27 CEB
    December 29, 2012 at 9:06 am

Good morning TOD ohana. Welcome back Chips.

10. 29 dotster3
    December 29, 2012 at 9:11 am

Thought this was interesting—the rise and fall of U.S. Rep. David Rivera, who is Marco Rubio’s mentor, BFF for 20 years, former roommate, still own a home together. He’s under investigation by FBI and IRS for all kinds of shady schemes. Rubio was under same investigations for same kind of shady schemes but somehow emerged mostly unscathed. Both are pathological liars and played the system for financial gain, the shadiest of shady Miami Republican politics. As article notes about Rivera, he basically lived off of corporate campaign donations for years, a familiar Republican trick.

• December 29, 2012 at 9:15 am

What’s it they say Dotster, you may know a man by the company he keeps? Rubio’s buddy sounds a joy, but I always get the feeling if Rubio tries to run for higher office his cupboard will be so jammed with skeletons he’ll have a tricky time of it.

December 29, 2012 at 9:14 am

Good Morning TODville! I’ve finally figured out what day of the week it is, and I feel SO proud of myself. :grin:

Gliding down the thread I caught repeated glimpses of a familiar face – the Mayoress is in town! The Mayoress is in town! Woweee! Hot diggity! Weee!

Ahem. Ahem. Cough. Cough, a-a-a-hem. /self-restraint is a desired thing, I’m told./
    /swallow/ Good Morning to you, Ms Chips! It’s nice to have you back looking all refreshed and happy (you better be looking refreshed and happy)! ;) ;)

12. December 29, 2012 at 9:15 am

Also, did you ever think the President is a one Man Team? It seems he gets no help from his own Party, has to bring his own Parry together, so that we don’t look like the other side.
    And don’t even mention the Firebaggers, who don’t even mention Republicans, they go straight after the President and swear they are his Base.
    Then, we have the Republican Al Qaeda, whose main job is to get rid of the Social Safety net, and to bring no taxes to anybody.
    Sort of like they way it was per 1850s!
    Then we have the Anarchist Ron Paul types, who believe if we muck up the Federal Government and stop it cold, and then stock up on AR-15s and Ammo, we might have our Revolution against the Big evil Government.
    Thus, The Country has lost it’s soul, and the only elected leader that has any moral compass is POTUS!
    That is all!

December 29, 2012 at 9:42 am

Righteous rant jovie.

I do think that our PBO has many allies – but they are rarely featured in the media because they are too busy supporting him and working on behalf of this country rather than posturing for cable TV or tweeting nonsense.

• 47 nathkatun7
      December 29, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Great comment, Jovie! I would add to your list the unethical media that often times acts likes the Republican party’s ministry of disinformation

13. December 29, 2012 at 9:23 am

Good morning, Chips and everyone. What a weekend we have in store for us.

I was gifted with some fabulous wines and some gorgeous Smith Tea by my wonderful nephews. If you’re a tea drinker and want a very nice box of tea all to yourself, I highly recommend it. They’re in Portland, Oregon, and I know someone who works there but had not tried their tea. I have Lord Bergamot, which is their Earl Grey, and it’s really good. Cheers!!

• December 29, 2012 at 9:41 am

That tea sounds lovely, Meta. Sounds like your nephews really knew what you’d like – unless you’re just really good at dropping hints… :) Hope you enjoy the tea!

14. December 29, 2012 at 9:25 am

Snow suggest a Deal at 400k and under is doable.
    Nahh, we will take the up or down vote, on 250k and lower, thanks anyways.

December 29, 2012 at 9:46 am

Snow can go melt where the sun don’t shine.

• December 29, 2012 at 9:51 am

And the 250 and under is very important because that revenue will pay for a few more months of debt limit. And they know it. Remember, the GOP are trying to set themselves up for the big battle of the debt ceiling debate, where they think by holding the country hostage and telling everybody that this is the Presidents legacy, that they can get rid of the social safety net.
        All this haggling now is a distraction.

• December 29, 2012 at 3:43 pm

What are all of you thinking about the prospects for the debt ceiling debate? I know PBO said he won’t play; what do you think the possibilities are? Do you think this fiscal fight will have an impact on the debt ceiling debate; as Jovie says? Interested in the great minds here.

15. December 29, 2012 at 9:29 am

Well up and at ‘em all you O’s!!! It’s another great getting up day out on the TOD porch again! So my crew is leaving today (sniffle, sniffle) on their way back to the cold tundra of No Dakota. It was a wonderful visit and one of our best times together, even without a kitchen to cook and eat in.

The grandson was hilarious on what is probably one of his last years believing in Santa. He set a booby trap to catch him, a box propped up over the plate of cookies. His theory was that when Santa reached in for the cookies, the box would drop and capture him. His reasoning? So that he could have Xmas all year long! Well, bright and early Xmas morning, we’re all wondering why he hasn’t bounded down the stairs to see what Santa left him under the tree. No one got out of bed, because we all wanted him to be the first to discover the gifts. After about 40 minutes, we found him still sitting at the top of the stairs. Why, you ask? “I’m scared, my trap worked and Santa’s down there inside the box!’ LOL!!!!! We still ROTFLOBO when we think of it.

I hope you all enjoyed your holiday and much as I did mine!

• December 29, 2012 at 9:32 am

“I’m scared, my trap worked and Santa’s down there inside the box!”

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Did it work, Cookemom?!

• 60 cookemom
        December 29, 2012 at 9:39 am

Well, considering Ganna beat Santa to the cookies, who knows if it coulda worked. He did manage to make a contraption that would rival a NASA engineer, complete with popsicle sticks, yarn, and glue that adhered it to my living room coffee table.

• 62 99ts
      December 29, 2012 at 9:35 am

You remind me when daughter – aged 3 – pleaded with me to not let those reindeer dance on our roof – she was so scared they would fall into the house – so could we ask Santa – very nicely – to leave her presents at the mailbox.

Good night from my world – and hope you all enjoy your Saturday

16. 65 cookemom
    December 29, 2012 at 9:36 am

Ok so I wake up this morning to TJ Holmes, sitting in for Alex Witt on MSNBC. I declare the FYYYYYYYUN Mr. Holmes off limits for bashing and gnashing. I don’t care what he says about anybody on any political side. Like PBO, he’s automatically naughty mat worthy and gets a pass just for being so delightfully, eye candyly, most appealing to behold. #cougarontheprowl

• 66 theo67
      December 29, 2012 at 9:42 am

:) I could hear your growling from here, cookemom!

December 29, 2012 at 9:46 am

I liked watching him back when he was on CNN but I thought his journalistic skills were being completely wasted. I hope he gets a spot on MSNBC. He is naughty mat-worthy, I will concede. :)

• 68 idon
      December 29, 2012 at 9:51 am

Wait a minute the very hot and sexy and smart Mr. TJ Holmes is on MSNBC sitting in for Alex Witt. OK check u later. Bye :)

• 69 Dudette
      December 29, 2012 at 9:53 am

I missed him, but you’ll get no pushback from me on your assessment of his… um, assets! ;-)

• 70 Nena20409
        December 29, 2012 at 11:19 am

Oh mine, his assets you wrote Dudette? As HF2 always quotes Ms. Jodi Kantor………Hmmmmm?

Pray tell, what assets are you writing about? TJ, I like Very, very much….and his voice? Oh, baby, Hmmm? Are those the assets you wrote about?

Nena is interested…..LOL.

December 29, 2012 at 10:30 am

Glad I awoke early, so I could watch your … uhm … shenanigans, all the way through, cookemom! #cougarontheprowl <<< love it!

• December 29, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Gorgeous! Naughty mat time!

December 29, 2012 at 9:40 am

Morning everyone:) Congrats, japa!! I’m so jealous that vc knows what day it is….I haven’t figured that out yet:) Must be because I’m on vacation now and all the days just roll together. Still, it would be nice to know how many days I have left to be a slug.

Norbrook has a good piece up: http://cendax.wordpress.com/2012/12/29/republicans-unfit-to-govern/

I would encourage those that haven’t already to write your congress people and give them a good piece of your mind. WE’RE their bosses, not the other way around!! Some of them keep “forgetting” that…you can tell they keep “forgetting” that when you get a “shit for brains” on the other end of the phone that wants to lie and bs their way through the conversation! They are SOOOOOOOO condesending, which sends me off the wall! I end up reminding them who works for whom…..

Anyway, morning to everyone…..sorry about the shoveling of snow….if it makes you feel any better, we have frost in Phoenix this morning…..

• December 29, 2012 at 9:43 am

Mooooooorning Desertflower in frosty Phoenix, thanks a million for the Norbrook link, heading to read it now.

• 76 theo67
      December 29, 2012 at 9:44 am

Hey, df, we’re in the same boat vacation-wise. I have no idea what day or time it is – just assuming it’s daylight since there’s light outside, and enjoying watching people shovel snow from my perch in this apartment… There are obvious limits to the joys of home ownership…

December 29, 2012 at 9:52 am

The best thing about being on vacation to me, is my ability to take an afternoon nap if I feel like it:) I swear that I sleep better on my couch (it just sucks you in!) with the tv on, than I do at night with Mr. df snoring beside me….sometimes I want to just pinch his nose…the dog AND the Mr. df are going to do me in!

• 82 nathkatun7
      December 29, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Thanks desertflower for sharing this piece. Norbrook is one of the most astute political blogger! He brings a great deal of grassroots political experience and a whole lot of common sense in all his political commentaries.

18. December 29, 2012 at 9:44 am

Okay. Story time. After PO’s announcement last night, Republican husband began offering his “factual” opinion, which is: That PO and the Dems played the R’s perfectly last year….they have hated theBush tax cuts from the beginning, etc. His “factual opinion” (lol) is that the economy will take a nosedive when the rates go back up. I Pointed out that the historical facts we have to prove that the “job creators” did not create jobs during the Bush years. Asked him again how many jobs were created after Bush tax cuts. He ignored my question. I said, “We will see what happens.”. Feel sorry for him….like rest of them…….lives in his own “reality.”

• 84 theo67
      December 29, 2012 at 9:48 am

Tnmtngirl – this is the cherry on the top. The GOP are about to lose their own argument that raising taxes on the rich, aka “job creators” (who have created no jobs), will somehow harm the economy. Their minions have repeated that lie in the face of all factual evidence to the contrary. And of course, they will spout new lies to explain the still floating economy when it is able to sustain and expand its growth – but deep down, they will all know the truth. That their theory holds no water, and that they have been used and abused with these lies to enrich a tiny populace of greedy people. I can’t wait!

19. 88 proudmemberofglobalzero
    December 29, 2012 at 9:51 am

I am reading on twitter that congress approved a RAISE for themselves. Is this true? Are they kidding me?

20. December 29, 2012 at 9:53 am

Happy Saturday Morning….Congrats Japa21 on being first ( hopefruit2 ; ) wink wink ) and for me being 2nd ( in my dreams),

I bought the Times edition with the President on the cover…Man of the Year.

December 29, 2012 at 9:58 am

You know jojo, I had completely forgotten that I had already claimed 1st for this thread since last night! Anyway, I have already conceded to Japa, but I will be back… :)

Congrats on #2!!

21. 101 sherijr
    December 29, 2012 at 10:00 am

Hola folks… remember before Christmas I received an invite to the White House on the my2k thing.. but it was cancelled. They have now rescheduled to Monday. I can’t go as I am in the midst of the worst cold/flu bug I’ve had in sometime… BUT this is a headsup that obviously POTUS has something up his sleeve & will be addressing this on monday.

• December 29, 2012 at 11:17 am

Oh, sherijr, what a string of bad luck. So sorry you’re not feeling well. I’ve nearly just finished with my head cold. It was a real sandbagger. Just be sure to drink TONS of water, tea, clear broth. But you already knew that.

SO glad PBO is ramping up something for Monday.

• 103 sherijr
        December 29, 2012 at 1:03 pm

thanks meta, I’m glad you’re getting better. I just spoke to one of my sons & his whole family has this bug. Its a kicker for sure… yes drink fluids each time I get up ;)

• December 29, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Awwww Sherijr. ((((((((((Hugs))))))))). Take care of yourself.

22. 106 Dudette
    December 29, 2012 at 10:01 am

December 29, 2012 at 10:03 am

I bring you a video that will put a smile on your face. This happened earlier in the year (June 2012) and there was a panel discussion about the election with Eugene Robinson, Steve Schmidt, Jennifer Granholm, and Jon Heilemann. It was moderated by David Gregory and he really proved that he is a full blown rightwing republican. He had an exchange with a student about social security. He was trying to shovel BS about SS and the student pushed back. I’ve clipped the video, so you watch the hilarious exchange.

• 108 utaustinliberal
      December 29, 2012 at 10:04 am

The exchange begins at 1:06:46.

• 109 a4alice
        December 29, 2012 at 10:15 am

omg. orange tie guy. he’s so irritating. he keeps saying “ya know? ya know?” ack!

• 110 newcenturywoman
        December 29, 2012 at 10:44 am

You’re absolutely right, UTLiberal. Gregory’s RW allegiance comes across loud and clear in that video-recorded panel discussion. And I too love how the student pushed back on Gregory’s b.s., making Gregory look like the lightweight “journalist” that he really is. President Obama– in elegant fashion I’m sure– will probably be forced to push back against Gregory’s RW nonsense as well when he appears on MTP on tomorrow.

• December 29, 2012 at 11:49 am

Thanks UT. Clearly, David Gregory is pushing GOP talking points. Wow.

• December 29, 2012 at 1:03 pm

He is also so dismissel and condescending to the young man.

December 29, 2012 at 10:10 am

After working a 10-hour shift on Election Day, painter Richard Jordan headed to his east Orange County polling place at about 4:30 p.m. Based on more than a decade of voting, he expected to be in and out in minutes.

Three hours later, Jordan’s back ached, he was hungry, thirsty — and nowhere near a voting booth. So he left. As it turned out, his Goldenrod Road precinct didn’t close until 11 p.m.

“The line just wasn’t moving,” said the 42-year-old Democrat, who added that he now regrets not voting. “It was so depressing.”

Like Jordan, as many as 49,000 people across Central Florida were discouraged from voting because of long lines on Election Day, according to a researcher at Ohio State University who analyzed election data compiled by the Orlando Sentinel.

About 30,000 of those discouraged voters — most of them in Orange and Osceola counties — likely would have backed Democratic President Barack Obama, according to Theodore Allen, an associate professor of industrial engineering at OSU.

About 19,000 voters would have likely backed Republican Mitt Romney, Allen said.

This suggests that Obama’s margin over Romney in Florida could have been roughly 11,000 votes higher than it was, based just on Central Florida results. Obama carried the state by 74,309 votes out of more than 8.4 million cast.

• December 29, 2012 at 11:34 am

GM DF! Imagine if PBO campaign did not have the organization that it did, the election would have been STOLEN again. What a shame. This is just unacceptable in these United States of America. How can the U.S. go to third world countries and try to police their votes on election day? This is just so wrong.

December 29, 2012 at 10:16 am

So why is this one so hard? Because Republicans aren’t treating it as a difference over dollars; they’re treating it as if a principle is at stake, even if they seem to be struggling to find the principle:

1.) Is it about never raising taxes, no matter what? Even putting aside what a silly principle this would be, it’s clearly not what they’re fighting for since they don’t seem to care at all about the tax increase involved in the expiration of the payroll tax cut, not to mention that their failure to compromise on the Bush-era tax rates will produce an even larger tax increase. So the principle appears to be not about what happens to taxes, but about never voting to raise taxes, even if that means taxes go up more. A strange principle indeed.

2.) Or perhaps the principle is on the spending side. Some Republicans appear to believe that they were elected to return government to the size it was before the New Deal, and that anything else is an unconstitutional and probably ungodly perversion of the Republic. Granted, that principle doesn’t (for almost all of them) seem to extend to the size of the military or restrictions on the government’s ability to do who-knows-what in the name of fighting terrorism, not to mention intrusions into bedrooms. But putting that aside, it’s a way of elevating relatively small differences into a matter of first principles – just not one that Republicans have any chance of winning.

3.) Or perhaps it just comes down, for many Tea Partiers, to a principled opposition to compromise at all.

26. 118 dotster3
    December 29, 2012 at 10:18 am

A loving remembrance of OFA’s Alex Okrent

December 29, 2012 at 10:20 am

What amk was touching on yesterday. This really IS revolting. All the way around.

As angry protesters marched on India’s symbolic seat of power last week, the nation’s august members of parliament raged against the government’s failure to stop violence against women.

They blasted the Delhi police for incompetence and insensitivity. And they cried out for the death penalty for six men accused of brutally gang-raping a 23-year-old woman aboard a private bus on Dec. 16. The woman succumbed to her injuries on Friday in Singapore, where she was being treated at a hospital, according to media reports.

In the story of India’s battle against sexual assault, the honorable members ignored one important footnote: Every major political party has fielded and continues to field candidates facing criminal charges for rape, harassment and other crimes against women.

“We found that all these parties had given tickets to people of dubious backgrounds, involved in crimes against women,” said Anil Bairwal, national coordinator of the watchdog group National Election Watch. “It’s the highest order of hypocrisy.”

According to mandatory self-declarations filed by candidates with the Election Commission and tabulated by National Election Watch, India’s leading political parties have offered tickets to 27 candidates accused of rape and a whopping 260 candidates facing charges for crimes against women ranging from assault to harassment over the past five years. As a result, two members of the current parliament and six members of the various state legislative assemblies are facing rape charges, while 36 others face charges for lesser crimes against women.

• 121 amk for obama
      December 29, 2012 at 10:52 am

That is sadly true, df. The criminalization of indian politics started about a decade ago and all political parties have criminals in their outfit. Today, all over India, protests and vigil are being held spontaneously. I seriously want the present corrupt to the core government go, even though the alternative are no saints either. We sorely need a clean leader like PBO and I don’t see even one. As Gandhi said, corruption is the root of all evil and we are the living proof of it. And unfortunately, it seems to have spread all over the world.

December 29, 2012 at 11:22 am

So sad, amk. Seems ironic that the country that had the greatness of Gandhi, has turned into this….

• December 29, 2012 at 11:41 am

Wow, I had no idea. I feel for the people of India if this is the sorry state of their leadership. You know, out of this putrid swamp in the USA, President Barack Obama emerged for us. I feel our great fortune every single day and wish it for the world.

• 124 a4alice
        December 29, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I didn’t know about this either AMK. That’s a lot to overcome but maybe with all these protesters some seed of change can start to take place (?)

28. 125 Dudette
    December 29, 2012 at 10:27 am

29. 126 a4alice
    December 29, 2012 at 10:27 am

hey this is awesome it’s a timeline of the campaign! Check it out! :-)

December 29, 2012 at 10:29 am

December 29, 2012 at 10:46 am

So, as we hurtle toward another dance with the debt ceiling, it is imperative that we keep two things in mind. First, raising the legal borrowing limit is not new spending. It’s money already spent by Congress. Second, the federal government will not have enough revenue to cover its obligations without borrowing. To not meet those obligations would make the United States a deadbeat.

32. 130 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    December 29, 2012 at 11:00 am

GOOD SATURDAY MORNING EVERYONE…MAY GOD DEEPLY BLESS YOU AND STRENGTHEN OUR GRACEFUL PRESIDENT AS HE CONTINUES TO MEET WITH MINDS THAT HAVE NOT YET REACHED THE LEVEL OF A GARDEN HOSE!….:)

• December 29, 2012 at 11:53 am

Yes, thank you SDS. Dear God, please, a miracle. A development of mental capacities in our species,
      as soon as possible, if you will, please. .
      Thank you. This is like Moses trying to lead the people out of the friggin’ wilderness,
      and they kept wandering around in the desert of it all.

December 29, 2012 at 1:17 pm

That struck me as so funny, Sara! I didn’t know “friggin’ wilderness” was a term from the Bible! :)

33. 133 squarepeg
    December 29, 2012 at 11:05 am

Wow – David Gregory is a real dumbass based on that video I just watched.

34. 135 yardarm756
    December 29, 2012 at 11:17 am

Morning mates. This is dedicated to you.

December 29, 2012 at 11:20 am

THIS! THIS! THIS! http://www.adn.com/2012/12/22/2732092/shannyn-moore-guns-without-controls.html

I’m old enough to remember when the NRA was invited into our schools to educate students on gun safety. Yes, I’m old, and I grew up in rural Alaska, but the NRA as an institution has changed as much as everything else has since then. It now operates as a lobby for gun manufacturers rather than for responsible gun owners who grew up with the traditions of hunting and shooting.

snip/

I’m not advocating for no guns. I like mine and am not about to give them up. But in this country, my uterus is more regulated than my guns. Birth control and reproductive health services are harder to get than bullets. What is that about? Guns don’t kill people — vaginas do?

When the cottonwood is flying and Alaskans are all lined up for Sudafed, we have to get it from a pharmacist, give them our identification, and the state keeps track of how much we’re consuming just so they’re sure we’re not running a meth lab. I get it, meth is bad, but I can buy bullets right off the shelf.

One hundred percent of passengers on an airplane go through screening checkpoints, but 40 percent of gun purchases are made without background checks through the loophole that allows purchase at gun shows, many of which are held in schools.

Read the whole thing. Why does logic escape so many?

• December 29, 2012 at 11:50 am

Awesome, DF. I’ve been a fan of Shannyn’s since her days of bashing Palin. THX for the link.

December 29, 2012 at 12:30 pm

You’re welcome, Susan. I like her, too. She was taking no prisoners when talking about the Wasilla loon….from first hand knowledge! She echoed my exact thoughts with this one.

36. December 29, 2012 at 11:21 am

• 149 LDS
      December 29, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Yes. I have mine, also. It is so beautiful to behold.
      I know We, the People will come out in force like we did four years ago. Do not believe the haters. Family, friends and neighbors are planning bus rides, cars, trains to celebrate, again. They tried to steal our votes with their blood money and we a lot to celebrate.
      Do not let them steal your joy!

• 150 susanne
        December 29, 2012 at 3:32 pm

thanks for those heartfelt words, lds. i’ve been reading how the crowds will be smaller, the enthusiasm is lower, it will be a quieter event, etc. and it’s been making my blood boil–as if this election was somehow less important, less celebrated. i know i will be unable to attend, but oh, if i only could!! i sincerely hope the planners will be prepared for the huge, ecstatic crowds of happy people!

December 29, 2012 at 11:28 am

December 29, 2012 at 11:32 am

I don’t understand this tweet from WWR. What exactly are they referring to UT?

• December 29, 2012 at 11:35 am

travel lid is lingo for WH pool duty “lid meaning no more events they can go home”

• December 29, 2012 at 11:37 am

Whenever POTUS decides there will be no more travel or public activity for the day, the press pool calls it a “lid.” That means there won’t be any further press coverage for the day.

December 29, 2012 at 11:51 am

Okay thanks lovelyplains and meta!

• 156 LDS
          December 29, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Thank you for asking and explaining above tweet. They can go home and stay forever…..they are getting paid to do nothing like the repugs in Congress. Will the WH press change in 2013?
          Please, God send them all to Fox where they belong. Then they won’t have to fake who they really are and travel with the President and report their stupid opinions and ask dumb questions in some of the most interesting , exotic places in the world.
          Can we vote them out?

December 29, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Yes we should get rid of the whole damn bunch of rats in 2014.

PBO is probably catching up on some well-deserved extra sleep. Good for him. it’s rain-snowing in the DC area and gray outside. If the sun were out, I would want PBO to be on the golf course ALL DAY. (Yes, Mark Knoller, I said ALL DAY).

38. 159 prettyfoot58
    December 29, 2012 at 11:31 am

December 29, 2012 at 11:35 am

Something to hammer into the heads of RWNJ’s!!!!!!!!

40. 161 Dudette
    December 29, 2012 at 11:38 am

A Digital Milestone in 2012: 100,000,000 Video Views

Earlier this month, we reached a milestone with the news that our videos have been viewed more than 100,000,000 (that’s one hundred million!) times since we launched the official White House YouTube channel on Inauguration weekend in 2009. Two of our most watched videos of all time were posted in the first week of President Obama’s term.

Since then, viewers have had a chance to follow the President, the First Family and the Obama Administration on YouTube via almost daily video updates, including the President’s weekly address, on demand versions of all of his speeches and remarks at public events, video of events that take place at the White House like our Champions of Change celebrations, plus behind the scenes looks at everything from preparing for the holiday season and planting the Kitchen Garden each year, to West Wing Week, an up-close review of the President’s schedule.

Check out the 10 most viewed videos [in the article]. If you want to see more, visit our YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/whitehouse/videos?view=0 — you can subscribe for regular updates.

• December 29, 2012 at 11:43 am

PBO and admin really revolutionized how we see and interact with the WH. Will the next POTUS maintain the network? Good question.

December 29, 2012 at 11:50 am

If ya ever noticed Bush’s White House website (I had to use it for my previous job), the change is doubly astonishing between then and now. That one would have attracted minus one hundred million views, with no videos, and maybe a couple photos tossed in …

Good luck to our next POTUS (Democratic, of course) in keeping this digital milestone going.

• December 29, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Yeah, I think I remember seeing pages of Laura’s WH china collection.

PBO has charted just an unbelievable sea change in how we view the presidency. He and his team have brought us into the digital age in a way that no other POTUS could have. Truly astonishing interactivity with blogs, videos, photos, policy papers, speeches, etc, etc, etc.

• December 29, 2012 at 12:06 pm

And I should also mention that POTUS and FLOTUS have truly realized their vision for a People’s House and this shows in everything they do, including their digital presence at wh.gov. The way they’ve invited children and parents and the military into the house and garden, participating and observing. It’s just truly revolutionary.

December 29, 2012 at 12:18 pm

… TOD, etc., etc., etc. :)

December 29, 2012 at 11:54 am

“Will the next POTUS maintain the network?”

Excellent question meta – it would very interesting to see how the 2017 WH interacts with the American people, and how the American people in turn respond after PBO leaves.

December 29, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Along with the innovative and inclusive uses of digital media, PBO made a lot of otherwise mundane WH activities interesting. To name just a few examples, the various holiday shows like WH Easter Egg Roll, Thanksgiving, Christmas Tree Lighting, Christmas in Washington, FLOTUS’ holiday visits to the children’s medical center, St. Patrick’s Day, Fourth of July. Then the others like the WHCD, SOTU address, state dinners, governors’ dinners, Kennedy honors, humanitarian awards, kids activities, military families, in-performance at the WH (PBS), Bo, etc., f

A very lively WH and administration. O what shall we do in 2017?!?!?

41. 171 Dudette
    December 29, 2012 at 11:40 am

December 29, 2012 at 11:52 am

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022091041 Toon that pretty much sums up the situation in Washington

The children are fighting…..

December 29, 2012 at 12:03 pm

All in a nutshell. As usual, Smartpants cuts through all the bs and makes things clear as a bell:) Must Read!

44. 174 Jessica
    December 29, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I hate predicting outcomes because I think it’s pointless. But I would put money on us going over the cliff but PBO winning on the middle class tax extension for 250,000K and below.

December 29, 2012 at 12:49 pm

If the middle-class permanent tax cut and Unemployment Insurance extensionjh are passed, then we are not going over the cliff. We go over the cliff only if all tax cuts expire on Jan 1 and UI is not renewed.

45. 192 Pamela
    December 29, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Yawn. Stretch! Ah. So good to have tea first, knowing there is time to catch up with you speedy mob as the day unfolds! G’day Chipsticks, am very pleased you had a break.. I hope it was a good one! {{{{PBO}}}}

December 29, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Our First and Second couples have a solid & unique partnership that cannot and won’t be easily replicated. Just my 2 cents.

December 29, 2012 at 12:42 pm

To really read about *compassionate conservatism,* visit the FICTION section at the library, next to the dusty GWBush books …

My take.

• 196 Bill R.
      December 29, 2012 at 12:47 pm

“Compassionate Conservatism” was a campaign slogan for GWB in 2000. It was a phony from the get-go.

• December 29, 2012 at 12:52 pm

The author is not lamenting the demise of ‘compassionate conservatism”, although he does point out that there was a time when Republicans were not automatically against any social justice move whatsoever. It’s good take-down of the Republicans as they are today.

• 198 HZ
        December 29, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Good Morning/Afternoon to my TOD family. Welcome back Chips. We are so elated that you had some sweet time to get away, however, we are so grateful that you are back. Rest and enjoy your time. Do not push too much. We have a beautiful New Year to bring in for our wonderful POTUS and VPOTUS and their families.

I am so worn out. Got up and greeted the morning and went out to put the trash out for pick up. Got the urge (that finally hit my mind) to cut back my rose tree and clean up the patio. What a workout. Now the patio looks very nice, table settings clean and nice looking, and it is about to rain. My bones are aching and I am cold throughout my body, but at my blessed age, I am so grateful to get all of that done this morning. You all inspired me, because I opened up to read about my family here, and I thought of Meta sipping tea and snow falling all over in different places for so many of our TOD family members, and plus I wanted to get the patio looking nice for bring in the New Year. So pray for me please. Go to doctor next week after New Year’s Day.

Shower, and now time for some brunch. I hope our POTUS is having a very peaceful morning. We know that he is working for sure. Hope Bo is keeping him company. We know that he will be waiting to fall into the arms of his beautiful ladies, our First Lady and our First Daughters.

Everyone have a great Sat., and I am so blessed to be a part of this beautiful family. Remember to not allow the opposition(evil brats) to steal our joy. We have a precious gem in our President, and we will stand with him all of the way. Karma is a thing to deal with in this life, and it will visit them vile people.
        Politices is one thing, but hating on this President is totally a different thing. Call it like it is.
        I pray,
        I sing,
        I speak goodness into my thoughts
        And surely God hears and will answer the goodness of our thoughts for our president.

(((((((((((( Lots of hugs to my Chips)))))))))))))))HZ

Thinking of you Fred and Jackie and your sister. Blessings and Strength to you.HZ

47. 199 Nena20409
    December 29, 2012 at 12:50 pm

A caller this morning on C-SPAN.org today wanted to know if the Constitution can be amended for Pres Obama to serve a 3rd term and if in 2014, GOPers can be defeated.

Of course the two issues are possible, well, plausible, but the 1st is impossible in the climate that we live today. 2/3 of the states would Never agree and neither 2/3 or even 2/3 of the senate.

The 32 Billionaires who were supporting Romney would rather be destitute than see pres Obama as a 3rd termer.

December 29, 2012 at 1:04 pm

“… if the Constitution can be amended for Pres Obama to serve a 3rd term…”

You know this is the RW’s biggest fear right now, right?

• 201 LDS
        December 29, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Hey, Bloomberg found a way to make it work for him in NY(which we cannot stand that little short man).
        Why not for PBO?
        They can’t pick and chose the laws to custom fit a select few.
        Don’t get me started……the right to bear arms is one of my pet peeves. Hunt animals / safety in the homes, my arse….please!

Sorry, going back to the music up above. These nature walks brings out the best and worse in me…..mostly the best.
        Calming down, now. Breathing slowly. Teddy P. take me away……again.

• 202 Nena20409
          December 29, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Yep, $104M and a City Council and Bloomberg bought himself a 3rd term….not 2/3 of Both Chambers and 2/3 of the 50 states.

December 29, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Agree. Plus, any amendment like that would probably have to apply for the next president, not the current (wonderful, legendary) president.