Dec

Rise and Shine

See here for Meet the Press air times

Steve Benen: We’ve reached the point at which the looming fiscal deadlines are so close, we can count them in hours, not days….

….. And so, we’re waiting. The respective Senate leaders will try to reach a resolution with the intention of holding a vote [Sunday]. If they succeed in crafting a plan, and it passes, Boehner has agreed to bring it to the House floor – even if most of his caucus disapproves – probably on Monday, the last possible day to act.

This is a machine with plenty of moving parts, but looking ahead, there are two main questions to keep an eye on: (1) what might the Senate plan look like? and (2) what would happen if a Senate plan doesn’t come together?

Full post here

NYT: Never much known for restraint, Joseph R. Biden Jr. did not hold back during a presidential primary debate in 2007 when a voter asking about gun rights in a recorded video displayed a fearsome-looking semiautomatic rifle and declared, “This is my baby.”

Mr. Biden shook his head. “I tell you what, if that’s his baby, he needs help,” he said. “I think he just made an admission against self-interest. I don’t know if he’s mentally qualified to own that gun.”

….. Five years later, that same type of weapon, a Bushmaster AR-15, is at the heart of a renewed national conversation about gun laws because it was used this month by the mass killer in Newtown, Conn….

Full article here

Sun Times: President Barack Obama is urging the Illinois General Assembly to legalize gay marriage in his home state as lawmakers are poised to take up the measure as early as this week in Springfield.

“While the president does not weigh in on every measure being considered by state legislatures, he believes in treating everyone fairly and equally, with dignity and respect,” White House spokesman Shin Inouye told the Chicago Sun-Times on Saturday.

“As he has said, his personal view is that it’s wrong to prevent couples who are in loving, committed relationships, and want to marry, from doing so. Were the President still in the Illinois State Legislature, he would support this measure that would treat all Illinois couples equally,” Inouye said.

More here

From Mike Thompson’s ‘look back at 2012 in cartoons’ (here) – loved this one

Morning everyone, could be a long day.

186 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

December 30, 2012 at 8:38 am

Morning TOD!

2. December 30, 2012 at 8:39 am

Good morning Chips and TOD family. Congrats ut on being first the lovely Sunday morning.

3. December 30, 2012 at 8:40 am

Good mornin Todville

December 30, 2012 at 8:41 am

When I found out yesterday that Pres. Obama was pushing for marriage equality in Illinois, I let out a loud whoop! Despite everything on his plate, he’s still keeping his promise to make our union a more perfect and just one. We have a kick ass president.

December 30, 2012 at 8:45 am

A very ‘Good Sunday Morning’ to you all! I figured there’d be an early pre-interview gathering this morning, and I was right. :lol:

Howdy, Mayoress Chips! Thanks for ringing the ‘rise and shine’ bells before the action starts.

December 30, 2012 at 8:49 am

‘Special’ Good Morning, UTAL! I suspect your ‘pad and pen’ are at the ready to do your usual excellent ‘reportage’, especially for twitter. Much appreciated, ‘young girl’ (clarification = term of endearment, as opposed to ‘old girl’).

7. 18 Judith Fardig
    December 30, 2012 at 8:51 am

Good morning everyone! I’m up to try to follow MTP on twitter so I know what’s coming three hours later here on the West Coast when my OFA group meets in a coffee shop to “live-tweet” it in PST. Any TOD tweeters planning to watch this morning? We are going to use the hashtags #middleclassovermillionaires #my2k #dontdroptheball and #theaction. I have never done anything like this before and can use all the help you can send my way. We want to have the President’s back and push back hard if David Gregory is not fair and respectful.

8. 21 theo67
    December 30, 2012 at 8:51 am

Morning everyone – I think this is my first time in the top 100 in the Rise and Shine! Typing while asleep – shooting coffee intravenously…

December 30, 2012 at 8:56 am

Checked that air times list thoroughly but saw neither my town, the nearest large city, nor my country listed! Shame on them for leaving me out. ;) ;) [Kidding. I suppose I could find it if I was inclined to fiddle with the TV, which I'm not. I'm going to follow along here, that way I don't have to see or hear Gregory at all. Later, I'm sure I'll stumble onto the more important snippets.]

10. December 30, 2012 at 8:57 am

Good Morning ALL……..say, has anyone seen our lovely TALLY?

December 30, 2012 at 8:57 am

GM folks.

What is all this twitterwhine that Obama signed an EO for pay rise for the congressional critters ? Any one know the true story behind it?

December 30, 2012 at 9:05 am

The federal government had a salary freeze for the last two years, which has now expired. So the rate increase includes not just congress folk but veterans, uniformed servicemen/women, all senior & executive federal employees, etc. The EO is just authorizing the effective date of the pay rate adjustment.

The bottom line, if folks don’t want congress getting paid at that level, then don’t vote for them in the first place, but the pay rates for congress were established decades/centuries ago. President Obama should not be blamed for this.

• 48 amk for obama
        December 30, 2012 at 9:09 am

Always trust you to bring out the truth, hf. Thanks. Saw some ‘I voted for you, how could you do this’ whiners and was wondering.

The left. /smh

12. 49 jackiegrumbacher
    December 30, 2012 at 8:57 am

Good morning. Woke up to a Dr. Zhivago landscape–all ice and and snow. Waiting on the Senate and House to do something sensible is like waiting for a dead car battery to start on a cold morning. You hope it will, but but it doesn’t seem likely. I love and admire the president for being able to express optimism while he is probably seething inside. By the way, do NOT read any of the comments on Benen’s site. He managed to wake up a lot of loonies. And thanks. Chips, for the wonderful series of videos yesterday. They were real little gems of love. Off to try to rescue the Sunday paper from an ice rink driveway.

13. December 30, 2012 at 9:00 am

Good Sunday morning, Chips and TODville!!

Is that David Gregory’s Serious Jurrrnalizm Face? LOLz.

• 55 0388jojothecat
      December 30, 2012 at 9:06 am

Maybe David will do this “mc rove” dance for PBO.

December 30, 2012 at 9:24 am

meta – you cracked me up! He definitely practiced that face. His voice is even raspy. Maybe the gazillion tweets and emails and phone calls he got saying not to disrespect or interrupt the President put him in this crazy condition!

December 30, 2012 at 9:31 am

meta – Just spotted the fake, immature, “knowing” smile (look, mommy, are you proud of me? I just interviewed the pwesident!) on Gregory’s face, at the end of his interview. Barf.

The President was magnificent, as usual. He’s legendary. We get to watch history unfold.

• December 30, 2012 at 9:38 am

I’m glad to hear POTUS slammed it. I detest Gregory.

I know I’m weird but I can’t stand having the TV on before 7pm, so I’ll wait for the video. I’m excited to hear POTUS talk about his second term.

14. December 30, 2012 at 9:07 am

Ya think?

15. 68 Dudette
    December 30, 2012 at 9:08 am

Good Morning Everyone!!

16. December 30, 2012 at 9:14 am

Tell that to the Tea Bagger Al Qaeda members of the House?

17. 70 dotster3
    December 30, 2012 at 9:17 am

People are tweeting every Obama sentence—-I already know everything he said, even before airing here in the mighty midwest.

18. December 30, 2012 at 9:17 am

That’s my President!

December 30, 2012 at 9:19 am
  20. December 30, 2012 at 9:20 am

Seriously, Jon Kyl(R) Arizona is a Grade A Prick!
    That is all!

21. 78 Rain
    December 30, 2012 at 9:20 am

Following along here and on Twitter….is this live streaming anywhere?

22. 79 GGAIL
    December 30, 2012 at 9:22 am

Good West Coast morning Chipsticks & TOD family. Its COLD this last Sunday of 2012. Congrats ut on First. Can’t wait to see POTUS this morning.

December 30, 2012 at 9:22 am
  24. 81 proudmemberofglobalzero
    December 30, 2012 at 9:24 am

PBO is doing a great job. I will turn off during the round table. I have my own opinion…I don’t need anyone else.

Just want to say I support Chuck Hagel as Defense Secretary. I am Jewish with family in Israel. I also have a gay son. My issue…Nuclear Proliferation. Best team to get this done is PBO and Chuck Hagel.

December 30, 2012 at 9:26 am
  26. December 30, 2012 at 9:30 am

I am starting to notice all the republicans quoting Bob Woodwards book.
    He is a Obama Hack! Seriously, a hatchet man.

27. 98 Ladyhawke
    December 30, 2012 at 9:32 am

CSPAN BOOKTV:

“It’s Even Worse Than It Looks: How the American Constitutional System Collided With the New Politics of Extremism”

By Thomas Mann & Norman Ornstein

About the Program (Last aired: July 21, 2012 )

————————————–

Congressional scholars Thomas Mann, senior fellow in Governance Studies at The Brookings Institution and Norman Ornstein, resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute, examine partisan politics in the U.S. government. The authors contend that the level of “hyperpartisanship” has resulted in a dysfunctional political process that is marked by adherence to political party platforms above all other costs. Mr. Mann and Mr. Ornstein offer several solutions to the stalemate, from expanding the voting public and promoting an active public and vigilant media to reforming the election process. The discussion, moderated by E.J. Dionne, columnist for The Washington Post, is followed with remarks by Susan Page, Washington bureau chief for the USA Today and former Rep. Mickey Edwards (R-OK, 1977-1992).

—————————————-

TIME: 1 hour, 20 minutes

December 30, 2012 at 9:53 am

Excellent book and required reading for any junkies like us :) Morning everyone….just a reminder that MTP is replayed on MSNBC later in the day. I got up late and set the DVR for that one.

28. 100 CEB
    December 30, 2012 at 9:34 am

The president was magnificent on MTP!!!! Gregory tried his hardest to make everything PBO’s fault, but he shut that down, until finally, all Gregory could do was sit there and listen as PBO laid it out with firmness, charm, confidence, and humor. PBO owned Gregory and this interview. Loved it. He also made it clear that the repubs. are at fault. He, he, he, he, he. Repub. heads are exploding.

Furthermore, I will never forgive these fools for not doing their jobs and for causing the president and his family to make sacrifices that they should not be called upon to make.

Not interested in the commentators; click!

December 30, 2012 at 9:35 am

David Gregory – 0
    PBO – 1

30. December 30, 2012 at 9:36 am

I hope Howard Dean does not step all over our message and say we should go over the fiscal cliff.
    We are clearly winning this argument, we don’t need any lone wolves.
    That is all!

December 30, 2012 at 9:45 am

Last time I heard Dean speak about it, he said he fully supported the President in where he leads us in this, although he’d like personally to take a different position in one or two areas. I remember because it seemed very measured – not how the lefty whiners sometimes act. Dean’s maturity came through to me. Not sure if that will continue.

• 110 Lb4Obama
        December 30, 2012 at 10:44 am

Dean was on “This Week” this very a.m. pushing the meme going over the cliff at this late date is a better option than a quicky deal because going over cuts spending and the deficit! Idiot!

December 30, 2012 at 10:46 am

I spoke too soon, then.

Dean needs to realize he’s pretty much irrelevant, if he can’t get with the President’s agenda. So are the others on the far left. They need to listen to the American voters, not the voices in their heads.

December 30, 2012 at 9:41 am

This is good, on so many levels.

32. 116 Judith Fardig
    December 30, 2012 at 9:42 am

Thanks to all who gave me heads-up on MTP. I can’t watch it on screen yet but feel much better prepared.

33. 118 99ts
    December 30, 2012 at 9:43 am

Unreal that the “round table” is the media talking to themselves – when will they ever report the news rather than make themselves the news. Chuck Todd reports what he wants to hear – not what is said.

• 119 jackiegrumbacher
      December 30, 2012 at 10:09 am

Every single one of them is still wiping egg off their faces from the election. They were all counting on a Romney win.

December 30, 2012 at 11:07 am

IMO current ‘newstainers’ make themselves the news because they lack the insight to open up the discussion by throwing light on all the real players’ positions. They seem incapable of stepping back and presenting the information in a truly unbiased way so that viewers can think and form opinions based on the facts. Maybe they never learned how, and sadly they are inculcating a new generation in how reporting shouldn’t be done.

December 30, 2012 at 9:44 am

BOOM- tell ‘em Dan!

December 30, 2012 at 9:48 am

Mark Knoller is awfully quiet this morning. His last tweet was at 8:20PM last night. As Jodi Kantor would say – Hmmm….

36. 127 Vicki
    December 30, 2012 at 9:49 am

Please excuse my ignorance but—–I am in NYC and Meet The Press hasn’t aired yet.
    Where are you guys who have seen it already?

December 30, 2012 at 9:56 am

I’m in the same boat as you vicki – I’m in the DC metro area and won’t get to see it until 10:30 AM Eastern time. Some time zones air MTP at earlier local times than those of us on the East. :(

• 129 CEB
      December 30, 2012 at 10:10 am

I am in Florida; it aired on our local NBC station at 9:00 am.

December 30, 2012 at 9:49 am

I live tweeted MTP and here are some of the highlights.

December 30, 2012 at 9:51 am
    • 133 99ts
      December 30, 2012 at 9:57 am

Many thanks UT – looking at Chuck’s tweets it seems you watched a different interview – and so is the press today – If the President says his priorities are a,b,c,d the press reports that the President is not interested in x,y,z

They really are irrelevant in comparison to TOD and all the wonderful people who report what was said rather than a skewed idea of what the media thinks should have been said.

• 134 CEB
      December 30, 2012 at 10:13 am

You are a Goddess/Warrior and honored scribe, UT. Your contributions are invaluable.

December 30, 2012 at 9:53 am
  40. December 30, 2012 at 9:55 am

Good morning TOD. It is redemption day for the GOP

41. 139 Ladyhawke
    December 30, 2012 at 9:57 am

Let’s just say it: The Republicans are the problem.

By Thomas E. Mann and Norman J. Ornstein (April 27, 2012)

————————————————————————–

We understand the values of mainstream journalists, including the effort to report both sides of a story. But a balanced treatment of an unbalanced phenomenon distorts reality. If the political dynamics of Washington are unlikely to change anytime soon, at least we should change the way that reality is portrayed to the public.

Our advice to the press: Don’t seek professional safety through the even-handed, unfiltered presentation of opposing views. Which politician is telling the truth? Who is taking hostages, at what risks and to what ends?

Also, stop lending legitimacy to Senate filibusters by treating a 60-vote hurdle as routine. The framers certainly didn’t intend it to be. Report individual senators’ abusive use of holds and identify every time the minority party uses a filibuster to kill a bill or nomination with majority support.

Look ahead to the likely consequences of voters’ choices in the November elections. How would the candidates govern? What could they accomplish? What differences can people expect from a unified Republican or Democratic government, or one divided between the parties?

In the end, while the press can make certain political choices understandable, it is up to voters to decide. If they can punish ideological extremism at the polls and look skeptically upon candidates who profess to reject all dialogue and bargaining with opponents, then an insurgent outlier party will have some impetus to return to the center. Otherwise, our politics will get worse before it gets better.

—————————————————————————-

December 30, 2012 at 9:57 am

Said this upthread, but the replay of MTP airs on MSNBC later in the day. Check your local listings:)

December 30, 2012 at 10:02 am

Glad I watched only the first half with the President’s interview and not the second SpongebobSquareTable punditry part.

43. 142 Dudette
    December 30, 2012 at 9:59 am
    December 30, 2012 at 10:00 am

Oh my…I’m witnessing a thing of beauty on Twitter. Our TOD Twitter brigade and others are fairly and squarely putting UpChuck in his place regarding the media false-equivalency “both sides are to blame” activities.

45. 149 donna dem 4 obama
    December 30, 2012 at 10:00 am

Good Sunday Morning TOD and Happy New Years Eve Eve to you all!!!

Thank You Dan Pfeiffer for speaking the truth to the jackals!!!

46. 150 prettyfoot58
    December 30, 2012 at 10:00 am

Goooooooood Morning everyoneeeeeeee

47. 151 a4alice
    December 30, 2012 at 10:01 am

k here’s mtp

48. 152 prettyfoot58
    December 30, 2012 at 10:02 am
    December 30, 2012 at 10:02 am

Great live tweeting, ut. All RT’ed. The third rate, fifth columnist, fourth estate is disgusting,

50. December 30, 2012 at 10:12 am

• 169 99ts
      December 30, 2012 at 10:17 am

That tweet from ToadyTodd was just wrong about what PBO said on gun control – he LIES – it is sad that you cannot rely on the Press to report what was said 30 seconds ago

51. 170 a4alice
    December 30, 2012 at 10:13 am
    December 30, 2012 at 10:18 am

MTP has posted the full interview with Pres. Obama.

53. 173 Dudette
    December 30, 2012 at 10:24 am

So glad to hear PBO pushing back on meme that both sides are uncooperative.

54. 174 a4alice
    December 30, 2012 at 10:27 am
  55. December 30, 2012 at 10:27 am

The fiscal cliff negotiators in the Senate have given themselves a 3pm deadline to arrive at a deal. So we should know pretty soon how this is going to shake out on the Senate side. What happens in the House is a whole other idiot ballgame.

56. 180 relellit
    December 30, 2012 at 10:33 am

Good morning Todville and Chips, I’m watching MTP it is on a slower schedule. As much as I loathe David Gregory I ‘m only watching to hear our President. Did anyone notice the glee in David’s eyes when he told our President gun Control would not work? Maybe, I loathe David Gregory so much I thought I saw something that was not there. Nonetheless, how did that magazine work out David since he wants to speak of what doesn’t work?

It’s so good to see PBO shut David Gregory down. We are coming to reactions now on our local NBC. Yes, it is a false equivalency. The meme both parties are at fault is a fallacy. It is the republicans and the tea party the media should explicitly denote as not wanting to come together and have intentionally created the fiscal cliff .

Everyone have a nice day and Happy New Year! :)

57. 181 donna dem 4 obama
    December 30, 2012 at 10:34 am

My good looking President is looking mighty fine this morning on MTP.

58. December 30, 2012 at 10:36 am

Ha! All David Brooks has is the President is Arrogant and thinks he is morally and intellectually superior.
    He sounded mad.
    Jeeze!

• 183 Jax6655
      December 30, 2012 at 11:05 am

In other words . . . . UPPITY!

• December 30, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Well, he’s half right. The president IS morally and intellectually superior to him. As for the other, I have never seen a person less arrogant than PBO – and if anyone has the right to be arrogant it’s him dealing with the likes of David Brooks.

59. 185 CEB
    December 30, 2012 at 10:38 am

The pundits and the repubs. just do not seem to get what has happened with the re-election of PBO. There is a sea change in American life that was reflected in his/our win. We will no longer stand for the abuses of power by elected officials, the media, the 1% and the influence of the so-called social conservatives (bigots). We out-number them and we and PBO know how to go around them to get things done. PBO’s words about what citizenship is are beginning to resonate with more people. Our country has changed and we will not be going back to blindness, ignorance, inactivity, or to being victims. The enemies of the people (msm, repubs. and their allies) do not seem to know that their days are numbered, or maybe the problem is that they do know, but will continue to use their no-longer effective weapons to stem the tide of our evolution. It takes awhile, but justice, goodness, and fairness win in the end. I am in awe of PBO; how this man who is filled with empathy, humor, gentleness, candor, optimism, and brilliance, is slowly and shaping the lives of millions, here and abroad, for generations to come. We are so blessed to see this, to be a part of it, to add our hands to the plow that is preparing the field for a bountiful harvest in the lives of so many. I could never imagine that I would live to see this. We are on the cusp of a new Golden Age.