Jan

2013? Rise and Shine

Washington Post: The Senate approved a bipartisan agreement early Tuesday morning to let income taxes rise sharply for the first time in two decades, fulfilling President Obama’s promise to raise taxes on the rich and avoiding the worst effects of the “fiscal cliff.” The agreement, brokered by Vice President Biden and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), passed 89 to 8 in a highly unusual New Year’s morning vote. It now heads to the House, where leaders have not guaranteed passage but top officials believe it could win passage in the next few days.

The agreement primarily targets taxpayers who earn more than $450,000 per year, raising their rates for wages and investment profits. At the same time, the deal would protect more than 100 million households earning less than $250,000 a year from income tax increases scheduled to take effect Jan. 1.

More here

(2010/Pete Souza)

President Obama: Leaders from both parties in the Senate came together to reach an agreement that passed with overwhelming bipartisan support today that protects 98 percent of Americans and 97 percent of small business owners from a middle class tax hike. While neither Democrats nor Republicans got everything they wanted, this agreement is the right thing to do for our country and the House should pass it without delay.

This agreement will also grow the economy and shrink our deficits in a balanced way – by investing in our middle class, and by asking the wealthy to pay a little more.

What’s more, today’s agreement builds on previous efforts to reduce our deficits. Last year, I worked with Democrats and Republicans to cut spending by more than $1 trillion.  Tonight’s agreement does even more by asking millionaires and billionaires to begin to pay their fair share for the first time in twenty years.  As promised, that increase will be immediate, and it will be permanent.

There’s more work to do to reduce our deficits, and I’m willing to do it. But tonight’s agreement ensures that, going forward, we will continue to reduce the deficit through a combination of new spending cuts and new revenues from the wealthiest Americans.  And as we address our ongoing fiscal challenges, I will continue to fight every day on behalf of the middle class and all those fighting to get into the middle class to forge an economy that grows from the middle out, not from the top down.

MoooOOOOooooOOOOoorning everyone, happy new year!

496 Responses to “2013? Rise and Shine”

1. 1 Roberta in MN
    January 1, 2013 at 8:12 am

Happy New Year Chips and TODer’s

• January 1, 2013 at 8:17 am

Happy new year Roberta!!!!

• 3 Roberta in MN
        January 1, 2013 at 8:21 am

You and I the only ones up so early. Must have been a wild night last night. So, the lefties are going nuts again. They will never be happy with what can be accomplished. The McConnell slap in the face of our POTUS was too much. Nobody is talking about that, just that they didn’t get all the marbles they wanted. I think I need a drink today. :) wished I could. I know I haven’t commented for a bit, but I want to thank you for all you have done this past year and I know you will be there in 2013. (((((((((hugs))))))).

• January 1, 2013 at 8:26 am

The sleepy heads are finally waking up, Roberta! I can’t actually decide who I loathe more, turds like McConnell or the professional left – I think it’s a tie.

Huge thanks for the kind words Roberta, happy new year!

• 5 Roberta in MN
            January 1, 2013 at 8:33 am

You put that too nice. I have disliked them for so long, I do not even trust them. McConnell is just so so, I don’t have the words for that man or Boner. Every time they come on TV I have to turn them off.

2. 6 Roberta in MN
    January 1, 2013 at 8:14 am

Watching S-Span right now, what a bunch of bullshit from the guy from the Nation. l Emoprogs. Just disgusting. Not happy with what they came up with.

• 7 proudmemberofglobalzero
      January 1, 2013 at 8:19 am

Congrats on 1st Roberta! Happy New Year to all! Yes, it is my Senator Marco Rubio, one of the NO votes. There is nothing bad in this deal AT ALL.

• 8 Roberta in MN
        January 1, 2013 at 8:22 am

I can hardly wait to see what Spandan and Smartypants will have to say about,. Politicalusa was already on it. A good article.

• 9 Roberta in MN
        January 1, 2013 at 8:29 am

Thank you proud. Harken voted against it. I am assuming they allowed that so he could save face along with Bennett of CO. & Carper of DE.

January 1, 2013 at 9:19 am

Happy New Year, R in MN! I`ve been rambling on a bit, forgetting to give you your first place hug. What a niiiii-ce way to start 2013 in TODville! :grin: {{Rob in MN¨}}

3. 12 Rain
    January 1, 2013 at 8:19 am

Good morning and Happy New Year everyone!

January 1, 2013 at 8:20 am

Morning TOD. I am looking at this deal Pres. Obama got and whoa….this is a WIN. I’m going through the details they released last night and Pres. Obama got a lot of stimulative tax measures for middle and lower income families, got permanent tax hikes, saved Medicare and SS, got sequester cuts extended for 2 months. This is freaking unbelievable. I keep looking at the deal for any bad stuff and I haven’t found anything. He got the republicans to vote on a tax hike on the wealthy ($400K for individuals and $450K for couples) for the first time in 20 years. This is a WIN.

• 14 Roberta in MN
      January 1, 2013 at 8:23 am

He also got a permanent fix on the Alternative Min Tax. That alone is a big deal.

• 15 Roberta in MN
      January 1, 2013 at 8:30 am

GM Utaustinliberal. Thanks for reading all the stuff in the bill. My eyes would go up in my head. :)

• January 1, 2013 at 8:57 am

If Bobfr were awake and posting, he would be reminding us that until the House passes the thing,
        we got ~nothin’~ . . . . . I hate that that’s the case, but I know it is. It could be a long day.
        Have some coffee. and some breakfast . . . xoxoxo

• 17 CEB
      January 1, 2013 at 9:15 am

A great win for all of us. The things that our guy brought home for us are incredible. One of my favorite details is no pay raise for Congress (he, he he!). Will be interesting to see what the House does; they are boxed in. The chess master did it again.

Happy New Year, again; especially to those who were not with us last night.

January 1, 2013 at 9:21 am

‘One of my favorite details is no pay raise for Congress (he, he he!)’

That little part caught my eye too CEB, with a very similar reaction – a big soundless grin. I sure hope it sticks!

• January 1, 2013 at 12:22 pm

If YOU say it’s a win, it’s win :) (I trust you implicitly)
      What a POTUS is our Obama. Oh my…

And happy New Year! Thank you, UT for your excellent contributions to the progressive dialogue. Be well.

January 1, 2013 at 8:20 am

Answer to your ?

2+0+1=3.

GM and happy new year, folks.

• January 1, 2013 at 8:22 am

#Arithmetic :-)

Morning Amk, happy new year! Morning everyone!

• 23 Roberta in MN
      January 1, 2013 at 8:26 am

GM Amk you are too sharp today. Do you stay up all night thinking of these things? Love it. Happy New Year where ever you are. :)

• 24 amk for obama
        January 1, 2013 at 8:31 am

good math or bad jokes. your choice. ;)

GM Roberta. HNY to you.

Let’s resolve not to take the loony left or the racist right too seriously.

January 1, 2013 at 8:52 am

That 2+0+1=3 was cute! ;) The old engineer brain is still firing on all cylinders. Good for you, Amk! It took me two readings to figure out what question you were answering AND to get the ‘subtlety’.

Best of wishes for 2013, Sir, and may that Tunisia thingy work out the way you and they envision it!

• 26 amk for obama
            January 1, 2013 at 9:28 am

well, she started it.

My brilliant Tunisian client has shipped the machine to a port that 1500 klicks away when I have a port that is just 200 klicks away. /smh

January 1, 2013 at 9:37 am

‘She started it’ – this time! You are right tho, I saw that. (You sound a bit like the Repubs here. ‘PBO hurt our feelings.’ :lol: )

Could the Tunisians be mindful of your health and trying to ensure that you get exercise by running to the farther port? ;) ;) In a case like this would they pay the difference to have it reshipped to the closer port, or do you have to make the adjustments?

• 28 amk for obama
                January 1, 2013 at 9:55 am

As much as I would like to stick to them, I am going to chalk it up to nobbie’s mistake and take the hit.

January 1, 2013 at 10:25 am

Good guy – NYGift and first time customer relations and all that jazz! :lol:

Got a text my chauffeuring service is needed so I’m out of here for a bit. Offspring who totally forgot my existence while attending a 5-day 4-night conference suddenly needs a ride home and has to check out of hotel by 11am. Toodle;li-doo!

6. 30 Kreen
    January 1, 2013 at 8:22 am

Morning friends!!! Here’s to an awesome start to the year!

January 1, 2013 at 8:22 am

8. 36 GGAIL
    January 1, 2013 at 8:24 am

Happy New Yr!!! from the West Coast :)

January 1, 2013 at 8:26 am

10. 44 99ts
    January 1, 2013 at 8:32 am

I have a dumb question – why did they need 60 votes in the Senate – I thought that was only to stop the filibuster??

Your politics are seriously complicated compared to what I am used to in my world.

January 1, 2013 at 8:33 am

January 1, 2013 at 8:34 am

WOW!!! What a happy greeting! You better believe it turned my smile on right away!

Happy New Year’s Morning, Ms Chips. Yes, it IS 2013! Can you believe it? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Happy New Year’s Morning/Day/Night to ALL TODobots scattered all over the world! We are starting over again, even though we are not planning to jettison any of our previous accomplishments. #FORWARD seems particularly apt at this point – Have a great day, you all! :grin: :grin:

• January 1, 2013 at 8:38 am

“Yes, it IS 2013! Can you believe it?”

I absolutely cannot, VC – it still feels like, oh, 1996 to me. :???:

Happy new year VC!!!!!!!

January 1, 2013 at 8:43 am

Thanks, CC! This is the year I get one year older. Fortunately it won’t happen for another three months. Phew!

/whispering/ Okay, do tell ( I won’t tell the others), what happened in 1996 that makes it YOUR default year?

• January 1, 2013 at 8:50 am

Ah VC, I can’t remember what happened in 1996, but I’ve a vague memory it was a good year! :-)

January 1, 2013 at 8:55 am

‘I can’t remember……but I’ve a vague memory…’ :lol: :lol: :lol: sounds just like all MY memories, both long ago and recent ones.

• January 1, 2013 at 9:00 am

VC, my middle name is vague :???:

January 1, 2013 at 9:15 am

Hmmmm. Chips Vague Chica … C. Vague Chica… C. Vague C….. C. V. C. Hmmmmm.

I don’t know, CC, but except for the last option [so close to mine ;) ] somehow that full name has a less-than-illustrious feel to it. Fortunately these days one can easily get a legal name change if one has the funds and a good record – you have a good record?

• January 1, 2013 at 9:21 am

It’s not illustrious at all VC, but I think my parents sensed it would fit :-)

January 1, 2013 at 9:25 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: [I couldn't help it, I burst out laughing. Luckily the neighbours are too far away to hear.] I really do love you, you ‘rascal’, for all the joy you bring to this place.

13. 56 prettyfoot58
    January 1, 2013 at 8:37 am

Happy New Year and GM everyone….

January 1, 2013 at 8:37 am

I loved that pc. Even BBC showed the whole thing. Well done, rethugs.

January 1, 2013 at 8:38 am

January 1, 2013 at 8:39 am

• 66 prettyfoot58
      January 1, 2013 at 10:55 am

HNY …AMK….

i so agree with this tweet….but how do we do this….in my state of PA the state House is GOP controlled/the Gov is up for re-election in 2014….now would be the time for a DEM contender to challenge him…perhaps there is but i have not seen any announcements…i have noticed that the mayor of Philadelphia (my city), Michael Nutter has been getting alot of MSNBC time….maybe he is getting reading to make a change….

perhaps the first step to changing the status in Congress is vote for a Change in those Gov races…

FOWARDDDDDDDDDDD>>>>>>>

• January 1, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Michigan is in the same situation and people are very angry about the RTW legislation and the new EFM law (exactly like the one they repealed in November). However, I don’t see a Democrat strong enough to really challenge him.

• 68 prettyfoot58
          January 1, 2013 at 2:55 pm

i feel you on this …Mary we need stragtegy…local issues will be paramount…esp here in PA with the voter ID

January 1, 2013 at 8:39 am

I keep studying this deal and so far so good. According to all reports and interviews conducted by congress members, it looks as though the House will pass the bill today. They have no leg to stand on because the vote in the Senate was overwhelmingly bipartisan; 89-8.

January 1, 2013 at 10:18 am

ut – Happy New Year! You are my favorite kind of O’person – fearless AND funny! I for one (and there are others – Ha!) really appreciate all of your efforts this last year. And that bipartisan 89-8 thingie is amazing. Your prediction after review that the House will pass the bill today is no doubt a good one. => WIN.

• 71 utaustinliberal
        January 1, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Happy New Year Jacqueline! I’m especially loving your VP Joe Biden avatar today because The Biden was released yesterday to the senate and he got it done. :D

January 1, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Yes, and The Obama sent him, which I’m sure they are BOTH laughing about this fine New Year’s Day. Uhm, it was a BFD, eh? Joe’s right about that, all the time! :)

18. January 1, 2013 at 8:40 am

I’m spring-cleaning my computer, deleting lots of old files – so, if the blog suddenly goes blank, you’ll know I’ve deleted the wrong thing. :???:

Wish me luck.

19. 84 jackiegrumbacher
    January 1, 2013 at 8:40 am

Happy New Year and thank you Chips for getting us through an emotional roller coaster of a year. This is absolutely the best source of information on the internet and the best antidote for despair thanks to the discipline you impose on naysayers and rock throwers. Love that UT is right out of the 2013 starting gate with her wonderful gift of summary. Love that Bob kept us focused through the Senate negotiations. Love that HZ soothed our hearts with prayers. And love all the other wonderful, thoughtful comments that keep us going. The House will give us nervous stomachs for the next couple of days, but they will be hammered on all sides if they blow this chance. And we will have each other. The best gift of all. Thanks again, Chips.

20. 89 Wanda N VA 4 Obama
    January 1, 2013 at 8:44 am

Happy New year Chips and TOD family!!!

21. January 1, 2013 at 8:45 am

You guys are too fast for me. I was on the last thread saying Happy New Year while y’all were here. Happy New Year, TODville.

January 1, 2013 at 8:47 am

23. 94 donna dem 4 obama
    January 1, 2013 at 8:53 am

Well after all that wine yesterday (started celebrating the New Year early in the day) I slept right through watching that darn ball drop to start 2013.

Happy New Year my Friends!!!

Oh and the sun came up and PBO is still President and I’m gonna lose 10 more pounds in 2013.

Have a great O’Year Everyone!!!

• 95 COS
      January 1, 2013 at 8:57 am

Happy New Year Donna.

• January 1, 2013 at 8:58 am

Happy new year Donna! Yes, by this time next year I too will be like a finely tuned Olympic athlete :cool:

• 98 donna dem 4 obama
        January 1, 2013 at 9:06 am

You go gurlll…..!!!! :lol:

Seriously, no more cakes, pies, candy, chocolate, wine and rich foods….Between Thanksgiving and Christmas is horrible for my waistline and I enjoyed every single minute of it. :lol:

Now back to reality…. ;)

• January 1, 2013 at 9:08 am

I’m confident I can do it this time Donna, I have a steely resolve. True, I’ve made the same resolution for each of my 21 years on earth (shut up Amk), but this time will be different. Ish.

• 100 donna dem 4 obama
            January 1, 2013 at 9:13 am

Wow Ms. Chips you’re just barely legal drinking age and this would have been your first vote for President Obama. Who would have thunk it! hahahahahahahaha ;)

24. 101 Vicki
    January 1, 2013 at 8:57 am

This is a clear Victory for the USA.

TV pundits are turning themselves inside out trying to protect their everlasting “how did PBO fall short?” nonsense. So excited to interview democrats blathering about we could have done better. Yuck.
    Slanted opinion and overt or subtle Obama-bashing is the only thing they know how to do.
    —————————————————————————————————

Here is the truth: The Deal is a MONUMENTAL win.
    Six hunderd billion in revenue with NO spending cuts.UI insurance, Dr. Fix, farm bill, etc.

GOP has met its Waterloo. Here is where we broke them. The Increase in Tax Rate was the game changing Win for PBO and his country.

Yay!!!

• 102 Lovepolitics2008
      January 1, 2013 at 11:08 am

Happy New Year everyone !

I’m mad at all those democrats who can’t do anything but criticize the President. The only positive aspect of this is that if dems are screaming, it helps to make republicans in the House vote for it. Let them think for a day or two that this is a bad deal ha ha ! ! !

The emoprogs are freaking out as usual because they had convinced themselves that it was better to go over the fiscal cliff and that President Obama’s leverage would be bigger after that. I’ve never been convinced of that. Nothing like a deadline to force the hand of those republicans. And for the record, when President Obama told that he was prepared to go over the cliff, I thought it was mostly a negotiation tactic. He was VERY concerned about how so many poor people would be affected, about how the economy could fall back into recession.

25. 103 xtine
    January 1, 2013 at 8:57 am

Happy New Year, Chips & TOD Fam! Just did my last airport run! That after bringing in the new year w/ The Roots & popping champs thereafter! Fun concert, lots of shaking a leg, tushes & all! It’s great being 29 again!

Now to catch up on missed threads!

January 1, 2013 at 8:58 am

The deal Pres. Obama got is a win for 98% of Americans and I am not going to let the emoprogs spin any different.

• January 1, 2013 at 9:14 am

And he did it despite unprecedented obstruction from the Repubs, even though they control half of Congress (a fact consistently forgotten or omitted by the emos).

• 106 a4alice
      January 1, 2013 at 9:24 am

allright UT I totally agree. I RT’d you and now I’m going back and making my own tweets and bring them here and when bob wakes up he’ll have a ton of tweets we can RT there’ll be lots of positive tweets out there.

off I go!

• 107 dee
      January 1, 2013 at 10:33 am

Happy New Year , all! My thoughts: I believe some of the emprogs and dems and liberals are going ballistic to give the bill cover. If they were exuding confidence in this obvious win, the house repubs would see the positives and cry “foul” and have a stance they could use to vote against it. After they ACTUALLY okay it, I believe the “hair on fire” comments will die down. If not, they are a bunch of losers, and are tea partiers themselves (talking about you, the “other 98%”!).

• 108 Lovepolitics2008
        January 1, 2013 at 11:20 am

It may be true of some elected democrats and some allies of the President. However, the freaking out of the emoprogs is genuine I think. They ALWAYS freak out. Their language and behavior are ironically similar to what we see from the purists on the other side; same rigid thinking, same inability to accept that when power is divided you have to compromise, same delusional tendency to believe that if you scream loud enough you can bring the whole world to accept your view.

• 109 sherijr
      January 1, 2013 at 11:55 am

thank you ut for all your informed tweets- retweeting them all. You really are amazing in your ability to cut through the bs & give us the facts, I appreciate your quickness and thoroughness so much… as my mind just isn’t as capable anymore- genuine gratitude to you :) and a very good new year for you.

27. January 1, 2013 at 8:59 am

Happy New Year to all and thank goodness for this blog. It keeps us all sane.

• January 1, 2013 at 9:04 am

Happy new year Diane!

• 113 miss pat
      January 1, 2013 at 9:47 am

You can say that again. I vow not to go to huffypest, not even to look at the headlines. I already got rid of tweetie and all the others. My teevee stays off all day. Thanks Chips, thanks TOD and I vow to learn to tweet this year too. Happy New Year.

28. January 1, 2013 at 9:00 am

I posted this upstream, but want to say again that if Bobfr were up and posting,
    he would be reminding us that until the House passes this deal, we got ~no.thing~.

29. 116 Bill
    January 1, 2013 at 9:02 am

Charles Hurt from the right wing Washinton Times is apoplectic on C-SPAN. Good news for our side.

30. January 1, 2013 at 9:05 am

Happy New Year to everyone at TOD! I’ve been lurking for a long, long time and visit every day, but it’s a new year so I figure I’ll start joining in on the fun!

Hope everyone had a good night last night. I am very glad a deal was reached. Is it the best? No, but with the Repubs controlling half of Congress it never was going to be. PBO has nevertheless done a wonderful job dealing with the whiners and obstructionists. I do NOT envy him!

Only 20 days until the Inauguration!

31. 143 1jam4pbo
    January 1, 2013 at 9:07 am

Happy New Year’s Morning Miss Chips and all here at TOD -ville.

32. 144 Starmm
    January 1, 2013 at 9:14 am

Happy New Year to all my TOD family, thanks for everything

33. January 1, 2013 at 9:23 am

Fact: John Boner has a hangover.

Happy new Year!

34. January 1, 2013 at 9:24 am

Happy New Year to all.

Could someone explain to this (and probably other) alien(s) what the Alternative Minimum Taxation is and why the deal reached is good ?

Thanks in advance,

35. 148 donna dem 4 obama
    January 1, 2013 at 9:24 am

{{{{{LURKERS}}}}}

It’s so nice to see so many of our lurkers post this morning. May your fingers type more comments in 2013. After all the (quiet) support you gave me and others here at TOD in our fundraisers for the President’s reelection I feel a real connection to each of you. I wish you all the best in 2013!!!!

36. January 1, 2013 at 9:26 am

Voting no on the Senate fiscal cliff deal were senators Tom Harkin (D-Ia.), Tom Carper (D-Del.), Mike Lee (R-Ut), Richard Shelby (R-Ala.), Ron Paul (R-Ky.), Michael Bennet (D-Col.) , Chuck Grassley (R-Ia.) and Marco Rubio (R-Fl.)

• 150 CEB
      January 1, 2013 at 9:30 am

A pox on all of their houses; especially my ass hole senator Marco Rubio. It will be part of my life’s work to unseat this mofo.

On a lighter note: Happy New Year, Chips. I do not have the words to fully relate what this blog has meant to me. Thank you for this wonderful place.

• 154 jackiegrumbacher
      January 1, 2013 at 9:40 am

Well I’m still in shock that uber TP idiot, Pat Toomey, voted for this deal. He hasn’t done one thing right since since the misguided people of PA voted him in on a wave of insanity. Have no doubt there’s something nasty lurking in his mind about this vote and it will be the last decent thing he does. But it happened and I have to grudgingly and painfully give him a point.

• 155 Alycee (@jazziz2)
        January 1, 2013 at 11:33 am

Yeah, I was shocked also. Had a tweet standing by to blast him; oh well, I’ll keep it in reserve for the next time he votes against the people…

January 1, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Happy New Year Alycee & JackieG! Do give Toomey a tweet of encouragement for this vote though, even if you feel you have to put a little ‘bite’ to it. A kind of encouragement/reward for doing the right thing THIS TIME. I like to think it opens up the channel for him to listen when next you contact him if he’s seen both positive, when deserved, as well as negative.

• 157 a4alice
      January 1, 2013 at 9:43 am

thankyou!

• January 1, 2013 at 9:48 am

I kind of get Harkin, but can anyone explain Carper and Bennet?? Their votes seem strange to me.

And, in case you missed my Happy New Year wishes to all and deep gratitude again to Chips from the last thread…here they are again!

• 161 daisydem
      January 1, 2013 at 12:29 pm

So my senator too is on this list. Except for the football, I hate living in this state. I truly hate it. And I was born here.

January 1, 2013 at 9:27 am

For those who need more elaboration on the deal, this is a summary and yes it’s a bloody WIN.

Higher taxes on individuals earning $400,000 or more and families making $450,000 or more. Under that threshold, the Bush-era tax cuts would be permanent for all but the wealthiests households. The $450,000 threshold for families is a significant increase from Democrats’ initial proposal to raise taxes on Americans making $250,000 or more but it is lower than Republicans’ earlier proposal to raise taxes on households making $1 million or more.

Tax rates on capital gains and dividends would rise for wealthier households. Taxes on capital gains and dividends would be held at their current levels of 15 percent for individuals making less than $400,000 and households with income of less than $450,000. They would rise to 20 taxpayers and households above those thresholds.

Automatic spending cuts delayed for two months. The “sequester,” which would impose steep, across-the-board cuts to domestic and defense programs, would be delayed for two months.

One-year extension to unemployment insurance. Emergency unemployment benefits would be extended for a year. The extension was a priority for President Obama and congressional Democrats.

One-year “doc fix.” The measure would put off scheduled cuts in physician payments under Medicare.
    Personal exemptions phased out for households making over $250,000. Personal exemptions would be phased out and itemized deductions would be limited for taxpayers making over $200,000 and families earning more than $250,000.

40 percent estate tax. The estate tax is set to rise permanently to 40 percent from its current 35 percent level, with the first $5 million in assets exempted. Democrats had earlier sought a higher increase to 45 percent and a lower exemption of $3.5 million.

Permanent fix to the Alternative Minimum Tax. The alternative minimum tax was levied to ensure the wealthiest Americans paid a fair share of taxes. It was not indexed for inflation but is usually “patched” annually to prevent an increasingly large swath of middle-class Americans from being caught in its net. As part of the fiscal deal, the AMT would be permanently indexed for inflation.

Tax breaks for working families. The deal includes extensions of the American Opportunity Tax Credit, which can be claimed for college-related expenses; the Child Tax Credit; and the Earned Income Tax Credit, which is a refundable federal income tax credit for low-to-moderate income working Americans.

Business tax breaks. The Senate Finance Committee passed a package in August that tackled a variety of routinely expiring tax provisions known as extenders. These include popular tax breaks including those for research and development. That package might now pass as part of the broader cliff deal.

• January 1, 2013 at 9:35 am

Thanks very much, ut. I’d love to know why Michael Bennett, Chair of the DSCC, voted no.

January 1, 2013 at 9:42 am

G’morning meta – I have a theory or two as to why but won’t say until the bill passes the house. :)

• January 1, 2013 at 9:45 am

OK, I’ll wait patiently!!

I know he’s from CO and may be walking a tightrope, but he really should have voted yes.

January 1, 2013 at 10:49 am

I think this was a point in time that – for whatever reason – Dems who voted No did so with the full knowledge that it wouldn’t hurt passage, because the vote was already there. Since I no longer believe that all congresscritters vote out of principle, it had to be political and, thus, gettin’ a little boring to say the least.

• 169 Lovepolitics2008
      January 1, 2013 at 11:33 am

OK so taxes of people making over 200K and households making over 250K could GO UP in reality because of personal exemptions phasing out and itemized deductions being limited. So President Obama and democrats made a compromise on rates for those people, but in reality obtained some raise of revenue anyway! That’s really good. I hope that AFTER the House votes on the deal, this bit of information will get viral; right now it’s lost in all the noise.

38. January 1, 2013 at 9:30 am

Medicaid expansion from ACA begins today-

4. Primary care providers in Medicaid will get a 73 percent raise. The Congressional Budget Office estimates that Medicaid will gain 7 million new enrollees in 2014, as a result of the health law expanding the program up to 133 percent of the poverty line. The federal government wants to make sure that doctors keep serving that population, even though the Medicaid program tends to pay physicians less than private insurance. That’s why the health-care law includes a provision that boosts primary care reimbursements in Medicaid to match those of Medicare for 2013 and 2014. On average, that will mean a 73 percent raise for Medicaid doctors, according to researchers at the Urban Institute. As you can see in the map below, there’s lots of variation between states in terms of the size of this pay raise.

Not to be confused with exchanges of 2014. Your state could opt out of Medicaid expansion, like Florida.

39. January 1, 2013 at 9:30 am

Happy Happy Happy New Year, TODvillagers!! It’s going to be a beautiful day and I hope everyone is in fine form, ready to support our most gracious POTUS for another year of progress. FORWARD!!

40. 186 Ladyhawke
    January 1, 2013 at 9:35 am

NEGOTIATING WITH MADMEN AND PARANOID BLOVIATORS

On the Fiscal Cliff, Obama Does What He Can Against 200 Years of Bad Faith

by Michael Tomasky

———————————————

While most liberals were stewing at Barack Obama yesterday for his “capitulation” on tax rates, I confess that I was feeling philosophical about it, and even mildly defensive of him. He is negotiating with madmen, and you can’t negotiate with madmen, because they’re, well, mad. I also spent part of yesterday morning re-reading a little history and reminding myself that rascality like this fiscal cliff business has been going on since the beginning of the republic. So now I’d like to remind you. It’s always the reactionaries holding up the progressives—and usually, needless to say, it’s been the South holding up the North—and always with the same demagogic and dishonest arguments about a tyrannical central government. We’ll never be rid of these paranoid bloviators, and if no other president could stop them I don’t really see why Obama ought to be able to.

————————————————-

• 187 Vicki
      January 1, 2013 at 9:55 am

PBO DID NOT CAPITULATE ON TAX RATES!!!

The rates for the top 2% were raised Permanently back to Clinton rates.
      For the middle class there was NO, repeat NO tax rate increase.

Win, Win, Win—-that is why the MSM is so miserable today.

41. 188 Robert
    January 1, 2013 at 9:36 am

Good Morning to Chips and to everyone. I hope the New Year multiplies all your good fortune from 2012 x 100.

42. January 1, 2013 at 9:39 am

G’morning and Happy New Year to Chips, TOD, lurkers everyone! :) :)

Looks like we’re starting 2013 on a positive note. Thanks UT for your wonderful tweets and summaries of the fiscal cliff deal.

• 190 squarepeg
      January 1, 2013 at 9:55 am

Good morning, hopefruit. Since it’s a new year and old thing shave been left in last year I just want to let you know that I forgive you for attacking me for no reason on election night. You were excited and nervous and you didn’t know what you were doing. So it’s all good and I’ve decided to forgive you and let it go. Cool? Cool. Happy New Year. :)

43. 191 Eveingeorgia
    January 1, 2013 at 9:39 am

HAPPY NEW YEAR, CHIPSTICKS AND ALL TOD’ERS!

I will be getting all my news here for the next few days. Is there any other safe place to visit and read? PM Carpenter and Charles Pierce are in a lather right now. So, I stay in a safe place: TOD. Let me and other timid souls know when the smoke clears, okay?

44. January 1, 2013 at 9:40 am

Happy New Year TOD family. Le’ts not forget to emphasize the goodies in the bill, but make sure to highlight the fact that GOP raises taxes on the wealthy for the first time in 2 decades.

Thank you again, Chips. My husband an avid lurker here now, says to wish you a Happy New Year.

January 1, 2013 at 9:43 am

PBO – 1
    Fiscal Cliff – 1
    GOP – 0
    MSM – 0

46. 204 CEB
    January 1, 2013 at 9:46 am

Elections have consequences and we are seeing the glorious result of all of the work that went into re-electing PBO. Everyone who volunteered, donated, voted, got others to vote, prayed (in whatever form), contacted congress, fought on Twitter, every act large and small, have brought us to this moment. It is now time for the House to give it up and ink the deal. Even if/when they do, I know that they will continue to plot and to obstruct because that is all that they know to do, but their fangs have been pulled.
    The Obama family has sacrificed much for love of this country. May God shower them with more blessings than they can imagine or hold.

47. 205 dotster3
    January 1, 2013 at 9:48 am

Hap—Py New Year to all! Checking in to see if I fell off the cliff, and it looks like I was saved, snagged on a rock, so far, so good. On to the dysfunctional House. Deal looks like it could have been better but also could have been a lot worse, as is often the case with deals, especially govt. ones, and if PBO is satisfied, so am I.
    So goodbye to 2012, a great year due to the re-election of President Obama. So many of us devoted countless hours and much effort to that successful outcome. We did it!—–hooray! Of course it helped that we had the most remarkable, gifted candidate ever—-but we pulled it off in spite of all the crazy, determined forces aligned against him. Highly satisfying and thrilling.
    And here’s to a great 2013—–it’s going to be an adventurous ride—-need to remain a force united with President Obama and his goals.
    And I have to add a special thanks to ms. chips for all her efforts to keep us current on all the news and entertained with all the humor and beautiful photos and vids. Very thankful for this site.
    And I’ll add that my first vision as I opened my eyes to 2013 was mr. dotster flossing his teeth in the nude—–I think it’s a good sign. As it is written.

48. January 1, 2013 at 9:58 am

Happy New Year Everyone! Wow 2013 is going to be a “Great” year. Thanks Chips for this site, I love it.

49. January 1, 2013 at 10:00 am

I heard the House is voting around 3?
    I have not heard anything after that though.
    Have they already changed their minds?

January 1, 2013 at 10:33 am

I saw on CNN that there will be no house vote today. I don’t know how true that is or if it’s just a false “leaked” rumor from a GOP aide.

January 1, 2013 at 10:03 am

even ratzi, the natzi, calls out the rampant capitalism

51. 211 miss pat
    January 1, 2013 at 10:04 am

Happy New Year folks. I got a check in my pension envelope that said Meicare part B for money I did,
    t expect. I am grateful for it but I wouldn’t have starved without it. I am glad others have gotten it because for some it’s food in the fridge, or medication, or light and heat to survive. I am so proud of the President and what he has accomplished for the poor and middle class. I vow to ignore the naysayers and just continue to lift him up in prayer. Now I wish he would hop on that beautiful plane of his and go back to his family for a few days. We are going to always have his back, always support him.

52. January 1, 2013 at 10:07 am

53. 214 mtmarilyn
    January 1, 2013 at 10:15 am

Happy 2013 everyone. Guess we all survived the party last night. I am up in time to watch the Rose Parade. I went to college in southern California and we would spend New Years Eve on the parade route. It was fun when you are young. Lots of great memories. Now I just want to watch in my living room with coffee in my hand.

Well I wonder what Boner will do today.

• 215 sherijr
      January 1, 2013 at 12:19 pm

me too marilyn! We often went to the Rose parade as kids.,. and one year my mother & I were in it- I was about 7 – Great Memories :) Happy New Year!

• 216 Betsy
      January 1, 2013 at 1:06 pm

That’s what I am doing. I am in my pj’s, coffee in hand watching the Rose Parade. So glad the Senate passed the bill, can’t believe Boehner will not bring to floor vote, leaving McConnell twisting in the wind, so am cautiously optimistic.

54. January 1, 2013 at 10:18 am

Happy New Years everyone! I’ve had company for days so haven’t been able to keep up here or even keep up on the news in general. Seeing this from afar, I’m wondering if there isn’t some coordinated push back from some Dems, including Trumka, just to get the dumb GOP House to believe they aren’t the big loser here and to get them to vote it in today.

55. 219 pugeretto
    January 1, 2013 at 10:21 am

Happy New Year from Chicagoland! Thank God we have PBO for 4 more!!!

56. January 1, 2013 at 10:24 am

GM everyone. Sloooow start at Casa de Magapie. My head hurts. Hmmm, why is that? I see that the firebaggers are not starting slow. Infantile a**holes.

57. 224 ber6964
    January 1, 2013 at 10:24 am

Good Morning……and Happppy New Year!
    Everyone From Everywhere!!

58. 225 Bill
    January 1, 2013 at 10:24 am

C-SPAN viewers should be aware that rwnj Charles Hurt of the Washington Times is the brother of teabagger Rep. Robert Hurt (R-VA) who defeated Tom Perriello in 2010. I have never heard him mention the connection.

59. January 1, 2013 at 10:25 am

Good Morning and Happy 2013 TOD Family!!!!
    What a beautiful morning it is!

60. 230 a4alice
    January 1, 2013 at 10:28 am

January 1, 2013 at 10:29 am

Was watching Tony Morrison being interviewed on BBC world. She closed the interview by saying that PBO epitomizes the years of black struggle in america.

62. 232 a4alice
    January 1, 2013 at 10:29 am

63. 235 chitra
    January 1, 2013 at 10:33 am

Delurrking to wish TOD family and Chips a Happy new year.

January 1, 2013 at 10:33 am

How many men does it take to make pop popcorn?

Three. One to hold the pan and two others to act macho and shake the stove.

Gunnite folks.

65. 242 Dudette
    January 1, 2013 at 10:40 am

• 243 PoliticalJunkessa
      January 1, 2013 at 10:42 am

Saw Hugh in Les Mis a few days ago. He was absolutely spectacular! *swoon*

• 244 Dudette
        January 1, 2013 at 10:49 am

Aw man, I can’t wait to go see it! Supposed to go this evening. Heart is racing just thinking of it!

• 245 Vicki
          January 1, 2013 at 11:04 am

Bring plenty of tissues. It is splendid and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Crying aside, it is great.

• 246 PoliticalJunkessa
            January 1, 2013 at 11:11 am

Yes, tt was splendid, and I agree with the tissues — I noticed even some of the men in the audience got a little misty, lol. The only weak spot (to me) was Russell Crowe (he just can’t sing, bless his heart). It was looooong, but thoroughly enjoyable.

January 1, 2013 at 10:41 am

Knoller is clearly pissed about the bill – which tells me it’s a WIN for PBO and the American people.

67. 250 Dudette
    January 1, 2013 at 10:45 am

Saved the best for last… Show ‘em how it’s done Peggy:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! :-D :-D :-D

68. 253 a4alice
    January 1, 2013 at 10:49 am

here’s a good one to live by as we roll towards 2014

69. 254 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    January 1, 2013 at 10:50 am

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! AS USUAL, THE SANDMAN ALWAYS BEATS ME TO THE BALL DROP…HOWEVER…2013 WOULD BE A GREAT YEAR TO PACK UP THE REPUBLICANS AND SEND THEM TO SOME UNINHABITED SECTION OF THE EARTH WHERE THEY CAN’T BOTHER ANYONE ELSE…I’LL PACK FOR THEM!

70. 256 forus50
    January 1, 2013 at 10:52 am

71. January 1, 2013 at 10:55 am

Good Morning and Happy New Year everyone. ‘Tis indeed a beautiful morning. All is well with PBO and TODville.

January 1, 2013 at 10:55 am

The parties are over. The Senate has voted. The House will hopefully cast it’s vote. And I’m still enjoying my Twilight Zone marathon, among other things. Life is good.

73. 262 forus50
    January 1, 2013 at 10:59 am

January 1, 2013 at 11:03 am

Good happy 2013 everyone!! Went to bed at about 3am…by the time I woke at 8 ish…there were already 182 comments here! Don’t you guys EVER sleep? I love our President….yes I do:) Welcome to all the lurkers that have come out to play with us! So nice to see…I remember when that was me once upon a time….can’t imagine now how I kept my big mouth shut for so long and didn’t join sooner….that was years ago. So happy that you’re here, guys. Welcome to sanity and serious jocularity!!

Silly me. Tomorrow’s my anniversary. I don’t know what the hell we were thinking back then! Christmas, New Year’s…why the hell not just throw in the anniversary on the 2nd and get everything out of the way at once?! I know why…he was about to go overseas for 9 straight months for deployment with the Navy….remember that like yesterday. It will be our 32nd year of bliss tomorrow….who the hell DOES that anymore? I always remind him that the reason we’ve been married so long is because I have such a damn good sense of humor :) That, and he understands who’s boss around here….took awhile to train him, but the hard work pays off ladies! Long game….just like my PBO. Happy 2013!

• 273 a4alice
      January 1, 2013 at 11:07 am

wow! 32! congrats DF!! :D

• 275 forus50
      January 1, 2013 at 11:11 am

Congrats on 32nd and your long game! :)

January 1, 2013 at 11:23 am

Thanks, forus:) I highly recommend “the long game”….stop with the instant gratification stuff. It’s overrated:)

• 277 mtmarilyn
      January 1, 2013 at 11:12 am

Happy New Year DF and Happy Anniversary tomorrow. You just continue the New Year celebrating tomorrow. Sometimes we look back at our reasoning when we were young and think what was I thinking. I agree with getting them trained. They know who runs things. Have a great day. And thanks for all the great links you find. They are greatly appreciated! You are the best!

January 1, 2013 at 11:21 am

Morning, mtm! I wonder what I was thinking YESTERDAY, are you kidding me! Yes…it just folds into one long party season….that’s not so bad:) Have a great time on your wine country visit. I’m so jealous!

• 279 carolyn
          January 1, 2013 at 11:31 am

Keep it up DF…..ours will be 47 years this coming June. It will get better and better. These are the years we work through the first ones for. My son’s birthday is also tomorrow…his 44th. I told my husband this morning…..I sure do feel better today than I did 44 years ago today! Congratulations!

• 281 Betsy
      January 1, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Congrats on 32 df, it’s our 30th this year, October 8th, 2013! We love PBO too :)

• 284 Dakota
      January 1, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Congratulations DF. I feel you truly! Hubby & I will celebrate our 33rd in May, two days after my birthday and usually right after Mother’s Day. Not a good decision gift-wise! LOL! Hope you have a wonderful anniversary celebration and a fabulous 2013.

• 285 carolmaewy
      January 1, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Congratulations desertflower on your 32nd anniversary. Think I know what you were thinking 32 years ago. ;) I married a sailor too, but it was 41 years ago on Oct. 2. Just a day before the Obama’s anniversary. :) Have many more.
      Hope this goes through. Having a bad iPad day. ;( Been trying this for awhile.

• 287 carolmaewy
      January 1, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Congratulations desertflower on your 32nd anniversary. Think I know what you were thinking 32 years ago. I married a sailor too, but it was 41 years ago on Oct. 2. Just a day before the Obama’s anniversary. Have many more.
      Hope this goes through. Having a bad iPad day. ;( Been trying this for awhile.
      Congrats to Carolyn too and a happy birthday to her son.

• 288 sjterrid
      January 1, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Congratulations, desertflower on your 32nd anniversary!

75. January 1, 2013 at 11:04 am

Our VP Joe is headed back to the hill today to meet with House Dems at noon.

January 1, 2013 at 11:07 am

There is a reason why the media, GOP and certain “others” kept pushing for Uncle Joe to be replaced as VP. If we didn’t know the reason then, we sure know it now.

As PBO has warned frequently: Don’t mess with Joe!

• January 1, 2013 at 11:14 am

Although I’ve watched Joe over the years back when I was addicted to the Sunday morning shows, I’ve seen a side to him in these last 4 years that really speaks to who he is as a man, as a human being. His heart is pure and his determination to do the right thing is unbreakable. He’s got all the right stuff and I particularly love his unfaltering loyalty to our POTUS. We are so blessed to have him serve us in this capacity.

76. 295 Dudette
    January 1, 2013 at 11:07 am

He’s probably gonna block me now! :-D :-D :-D

January 1, 2013 at 11:10 am

To his credit, he doesn’t block people for disagreeing or challenging him. I’ve sent him many aggressive tweets and he has even responded on the rare occasion. Can’t say the same for his thin-skinned colleagues, Jake Tapper and Ed Henry. I’ve been blocked by both and for very trivial reasons.

• 298 CEB
      January 1, 2013 at 11:14 am

You go , girl!

77. January 1, 2013 at 11:11 am

78. 300 a4alice
    January 1, 2013 at 11:11 am

OK the husband has Bruce Springsteen blaring downstairs. I need to go make…..breakfast? what a lazy morning! :-)

79. 309 forus50
    January 1, 2013 at 11:12 am

80. 310 anniebella
    January 1, 2013 at 11:13 am

So this House vote will be drag out all day.

January 1, 2013 at 11:15 am

The Biden has been released again. Not good for the GOP.

82. 313 Dudette
    January 1, 2013 at 11:16 am

Metro Atlanta in the Hooooouuuuuusssse!! Lassiter HS Marching Band of Marietta marching in the Rose Parade! Wooot!

83. 314 sabreen60
    January 1, 2013 at 11:17 am

Happy New Year TOD! Great news from the Senate – now lets hope the House Reps act like adults.

84. 316 Vicki
    January 1, 2013 at 11:19 am

I feel I have to say this again because I just saw that Huffy’s headline implies that PBO caved on tax rates.
    PBO broke the GOP back when the tax rates for 98% were made permanently LOW and the tax rates for the wealthy went UP, back to the Clinton rates.
    PLUS capital gains taxes went UP.
    Estate taxes went UP.

Middle class protected.
    Rich paying more.

That is why the GOP is in full threaten and breakdown mode.

Like thwarted five year olds..They’re gonna get up next time, just you wait.

January 1, 2013 at 11:30 am

Just have a question…someone here can help me out, I’m sure. The defense stuff got put off for another couple months…same time as the debt ceiling issues. Can’t PBO just say, “You want to try to jerk around on the debt ceiling, those defense cuts happen, NOW, assholes.” Of course, I’m guessing he won’t call them “assholes” to their faces ( I would.. but he’s so much nicer than I )…but he DID promise that the debt ceiling wouldn’t be held hostage again…and he DOES keep his promises! Long game? Is this why he’s not worried? What do ya think?

• 322 Vicki
      January 1, 2013 at 11:39 am

I think what you think, DF. We won and won big, which they can never concede.
      Like the losing general who tells his troops:”We are not retreating. We are merely going forward in the opposite direction.”
      GOP is defeated, so now it’s threats and trying to move on to next battle before too many people see the HUGE Defeat for the GOP that it actually is.

And good luck to them with their threats to cave in our economy over the debt ceiling. John McCain out of his skull today.

January 1, 2013 at 11:43 am

John McCain is ALWAYS out of his skull. Why people vote for that batshit crazy fool, is beyond me. Seriously, he needs to retire and sleep it off in one of his ???? # houses! He is a detriment to AZ, the country and an embarrassment to the position he holds.

January 1, 2013 at 11:30 am

This cracked me up. It’s from the movie ‘There Will Be Blood” (kick ass Daniel Day Lewis) and is quite apropos to many political scenarios involving the awesome Pres. Obama.

January 1, 2013 at 11:30 am

But, but but Jonathan Chait told me that PBO’s 2nd term was over because he was the weakest negotiator EVAH in the history of humankind!

88. January 1, 2013 at 11:32 am

Must go and see this!!

January 1, 2013 at 11:35 am

Freaking awesome!

January 1, 2013 at 11:35 am

THIS is my POS senator! http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/01/01/1381771/john-mccain-gop-will-destroy-americas-solvency-unless-entitlements-cut-drastically/

All the ignorant old foggies around here continue to vote against their own best interests because they stupidly think that R’s in Congress will do right by them. Fools. He’s getting an email.

• January 1, 2013 at 11:54 am

UGH, df. I so wish you didn’t have to ever deal with this jerk. Surely, he must retire someday.

January 1, 2013 at 11:58 am

I thought the fool would retire at the same time that other POS Kyl did…that would be like, NOW….clearly, he’s not done milking the public and fooling the American people yet.

January 1, 2013 at 11:59 am

Johnny McCain we will see, if the Republicans does that there will never be another Republican President. Now POTUS told you were he stand, you sick ass bully Republicans will not push him around with this debt ceiling.

91. 339 carolyn
    January 1, 2013 at 11:39 am

I have two thoughts right now on this deal: 1…Both Barbara Boxer and Bernie Sanders voted for it. They are my Senate liberal touchstones…but two who also know how to govern. 2. I’m wondering if the VP told the turtle…….listen Mitchie boy……this is as good a deal as you’re going to get, and after Thursday you will have more Democrats who you cannot control, and the deal will be worse for you. Take it, or get buried totally later.

There’s also something else working here, and I’m going to disagree a bit with it being racial. I think that Mitch would work with VP Biden because he was a LONG TIME Senator. President Obama served only part of one term, and had the audacity to jump over Mitchie and others and become president. That was the unforgivable sin. I’ve worked in the Senate and know how important seniority is. President Obama didn’t wait “his turn” and Mitchie can’t forgive that. Mitchie probably thinks he had a chance to be president, which we all know would never happen. There is jealousy of position working here.

January 1, 2013 at 11:47 am

I’m thinking you’re right about the “your turn”….that, and he hates that the smarter black man did it too him….the Dem smarter black man….it just hurts Turtleman too much to bear. Ashley needs to run and kick his sorry ass. That’s all I’ll say about that :) Agreed, carolyn.

• January 1, 2013 at 11:51 am

Interesting and helpful, thank you Carolyn.

• January 1, 2013 at 12:39 pm

I have also thought so too. It is more upstart than uppity. I wonder if they realize what it actually takes to make it to the most important position in the world. Waiting your turn doesn’t guarantee anything. Ask Bob Dole, John McCain, John Kerry….etc.

• 344 carolmaewy
      January 1, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Thank you for your insight Carolyn. I tried a second ago to reply, but my iPad hung up. Trying again. Sorry for the g comment. Don’t know what’s happening. Hubby and I have been calling Mitch a turtle for awhile. Nice to know we’re not alone? ;)

92. 345 daisydem
    January 1, 2013 at 11:43 am

Scrolled down to say Good Morning, Happy New Year to TOD. Thanks to all of you for being here, for helping to keep me sane and the BP down in 2012! Now back up to read comments!! Oh, and thank you Mr. President. We love you. (And does the last comment mean that McLame was one of the 8 NO votes? No words.) McCain better hope he and I never meet in a dark alley.

January 1, 2013 at 11:49 am

I think he was a yes vote….which makes things weirder still……he’s not working with a full deck.

• 347 daisydem
        January 1, 2013 at 12:48 pm

As we have said here several times, McCain’s legacy is now Sarah Palin. How would you like your legacy to be that? And who of any caliber listens to him anymore? He is a sad, sick old man.

January 1, 2013 at 11:50 am

94. 349 Esi
    January 1, 2013 at 11:50 am

I have a good feeling about 2013! Happy 2013 everyone.

95. January 1, 2013 at 11:52 am

Mr. 20 plus 60

January 1, 2013 at 12:02 pm

This is one more reason I’m thankful Pres. Obama won reelection. Assholes like Ari Fleischer must pay their fair share in taxes.

January 1, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I don’t know…just popped into my head :)

• 366 Dudette
      January 1, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Dedicated to the TeaPublicans! Happy New Year Bitchez!! :-)

• 367 carolmaewy
        January 1, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Love your music Dudette. This is the ROCKIN’st sight on the Web! ! !

• 368 Dudette
          January 1, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Aw, thanks carol. But this very excellent selection is brought to us by desertflower. Quite the DJ herself. :-)

• 369 carolmaewy
            January 1, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I’m sorry I didn’t thank the right person. I was trying. Having trouble on my iPad keeping track of what I’ve posted and not something I was thinking or what someone else posted.

• 370 carolmaewy
            January 1, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Sorry Dudette and to desertflower. Hope this time the reply button works. I’ve been trying to message back for an our I think. Having a tough time this morning. I need to use the command Chipsticks uses to clean my computer. ;)

98. January 1, 2013 at 12:09 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! I haz a big sleepy….. benedryl just wasn’t working for me last night, plus someone in the hood had fireworks, and firecrackers that sounded like gunfire…. weird.

Today is soul food & charades!

Honeybaked Ham
    Black Eyed Peas
    Collards (cooked in chicken stock, garlic, and BACON-duh)
    Macaroni & Cheese (gruyère – I don’t fuck around)
    Double Crust Cranberry Orange Pie

99. 384 LadyTNT
    January 1, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Happy New Year TOD peeps!!!!!

January 1, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Excellent piece! http://m.guardiannews.com/commentisfree/2013/jan/01/fiscal-cliff-dysfunctional-republican-nihilism

Too much goodness to even post a little snip…Chips, if you’re done cleaning up your files….take a look and pick something out for the next post THAT YOU NEED TO PUT UP THERE SOON :) Yakkers are yakking:)

January 1, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Recommendation for 2013: If you are on Twitter, you should follow @MikeGrunwald. He’s been a fantastic voice of reason about Pres. Obama’s accomplishments, the 100% effectiveness of the stimulus, the fiscal cliff deal and keeping assholey liberals in check. If you can, you should also get his book, ‘The New New Deal.’

January 1, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Excellent recommendation, UT :) The book is a MUST READ. What a stellar President we have…most pouters have NO IDEA what they are talking about….

• January 1, 2013 at 12:29 pm

utaustinliberal, thank you for these recommendations re MikeGrunwald. I’ll read his book asap.
        and, utaustinliberal, thank you happy years for what you bring to us/me here at TOD.
        You are a treasure-darling. xoxox

• January 1, 2013 at 2:28 pm

In his latest tweet he calls the emoprog/radical liberals “choose-your-own-adventure liberals”. Love it!

102. 393 a4alice
    January 1, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I am laughing because Ari Fleisher is getting his A$$ handed to him for this comment:

103. 396 daisydem
    January 1, 2013 at 12:21 pm

My son said last night (and it may have been a tweet he sent out or received) that Boehner couldn’t muster up enough support to pass a kidney stone! My retort was “but that I would really like to watch,” ha, ha!

104. 397 daisydem
    January 1, 2013 at 12:22 pm

My last comment was cruel, wasn’t it? Oh well.

• 398 magapie
      January 1, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Yeah daisydem I’m really dissapointed in you picking on poor ole rusty. Can you imagine the bawling?? Just leave that poor ole beet-faced swine alone and let him enjoy his turd sandwiches and phlegm soup….

105. January 1, 2013 at 12:23 pm

• 401 daisydem
      January 1, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Fore!! (Hey he did his job … and as stated above, released the Biden, now FORWARD to the golf course!)

106. 402 kasai
    January 1, 2013 at 12:32 pm

****HAPPY NEW YEAR*** TO ALL THE WONDERFUL BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE AT TODS~
    Much Love (((Chips)))) Gratitude!

January 1, 2013 at 12:36 pm

michael viqueira ‏@mikeviqueira
    Seen at the White House: Golf clubs loaded into van on West Executive drive.

DAMN right – our President is going golfing, and may he golf until sundown!

108. January 1, 2013 at 12:38 pm

I’m sort of half-watching the Rose Parade and they just surprised a mom and son with her husband’s return from Afghanistan!! He was on a military float and they stopped the float and had him walk over to his wife and their son. Sooooo sweet.

109. January 1, 2013 at 12:53 pm

This is a good idea:

110. January 1, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Good day to all on 1 Jan 2013 …

As we all know …

#TrustBarack

• January 1, 2013 at 12:58 pm

BTW – Our President has certainly managed to create a revolution within the House GOP, that is for sure and whether the Teabaggers have any clout in the 113th is what is unfolding now …

January 1, 2013 at 1:45 pm

This is the reason why POTUS had to cut his vacation short, because of that sorry Speaker and those Republicans in the House. This fiscal thing should have been work out months ago. Now instead of voting on the one recently pass this morning they are dragging it out, and I don’t trust the Republicans one bit, there might not be any vote.

111. 423 Nena20409
    January 1, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Wow, wow, wow…..Happy New Year to all TODers everywhere.

The Happy New Yea banner is Lovely.

Holy smokes, already 366 comments in just 3 plus hours?

Wow. I am late trying to catch up from the Chat Away post.

Happy New Year.

Love always. Peace to all mankind and great health to all TODville Villagers.

112. 424 carolmaewy
    January 1, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Good Morning TOD! Happy New Year to Chipstick and all the posters here. Thank you so much for this web-site. Is it called a blog? It will be a great year because Pres. Obama will be sworn in as president for another four years! Looking forward to live tweets from the attendees that will be there from this blog.

113. 425 Dudette
    January 1, 2013 at 1:07 pm

:-)

January 1, 2013 at 1:38 pm

It’s sad when you can’t let go of something which happen in the past, and you allow it to destroy your life. John McCain has become a bitter old senile fool who has allow the fact that he lost to Barack Obama in 08 eat him up alive. It’s ashame to because instead of becoming the stateman in the Senate kind of like what Senator Ted Kennedy was, McCain has become a right wing bitter old man.

January 1, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Annieb, John Mccain was a bitter old senile fool long before he lost to PBO in 2008. At least that’s my opinion of him and he has done nothing that I’m aware of to change it.

114. January 1, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Chuckle ….

115. 429 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    January 1, 2013 at 1:13 pm

• 432 prettyfoot58
      January 1, 2013 at 4:18 pm

From Smartypants article….

…Cynicism allows them to criticize the oppressor and sympathize with the oppressed without ever having to move out of their comfort zone…

What we’re seeing once again is that some progressives are addicted to their focus on the tangle of where the ceiling was set for an increase in taxes – while they miss the weave of recognizing that this is the first time in 20 years that Republicans in the Senate have voted overwhelmingly for a tax increase.

To those living on the edge of survival, that kind of privileged cynicism is unthinkable. If this deal passes the House, they just avoided a potential tax increase, have seen their unemployment insurance extended, and will still have access to things like child tax credits and/or college tuition tax credits.

*****************************************************

i would not call them progressive..there is nothing progressive about many of their stances…they are as much idealogues as the TP

I quite often wonder where alot of PL really are…i contend that the so-called PL/TP are 2 sides of the same coin…

their criticism of PBO/their trashing of him/their personal attacks of him have always given me pause…

_________________________

this is an extraodinary article….

116. 433 yardarm756
    January 1, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Good afternoon all. Memories continue for me:

117. January 1, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Boner might wait until he is elected Speaker.
    He really likes the big office.

118. January 1, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Happy New Year TOD family! Thanks so much Chips for holding this space for all us! I’m looking forward to hanging with y’all as we gear up for the midterm election clean out! Oh for my Michigan peeps…Go BLUE!! (outback bowl)

119. 436 Pamela
    January 1, 2013 at 1:32 pm

2013 y’all! Forward! Make that Fast Forward ~ they have no clue what’s coming at ‘em! PBO and VPB are a synthetic TEAM! :lol:

January 1, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Already 400 comments on Rise & Shine thread!

121. 439 Dudette
    January 1, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Rolling out to go see Les Mis early! Woooooot!!
    See ya!

122. 440 Ahero62
    January 1, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Happy New Year Chips and the TOD family! You guys are the best!!

123. 441 Bill R.
    January 1, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Whoops! Seems like ‘The Donald’ and Markos are both unhappy!

124. January 1, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I don’t think Boner is going to be able to do this particular bill.
    Me thinks, he will take a bunch out of it and put in entitlement cuts.
    It’s a big mistake, that is how they will negotiate the debt ceiling, and everybody will see that it’s the Republicans who ate ruining the Country.
    A big mistake!

January 1, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Per TPM Heritage Foundation/ Freedomworks are lobbying for these jokers to say no….this will lay it all bare for people. Pay attention who’s trying to F them over for personal gain…

• 446 carolyn
      January 1, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Then he will again show just how weak he is. To be on the right side of history, he should work with Nancy Smash and bring the bill home. He could be a hero to the country; otherwise he will become the butt of more jokes, and a man without a caucus. He’s going to have more opposition after January 3 with more demos in the house, and some very outspoken ones.

125. January 1, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Sorry, couldn’t resist:

January 1, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Apparently Sen. John Lewis’ wife has passed away recently.

127. 450 FormelyFRED
    January 1, 2013 at 2:25 pm

good afternoon TOD family

from my family and I,I would love to wish the President,First Lady,Vice President,Dr Biden,their families,Chips and each and everyone of you a Happy,Blessed,Healthy,Prosperous,Successful New Year.

Wanted to send greetings to HZ and VCPrez

I am doing fairly well besides the past 2 days that were difficult.Mom is great as well.We also got more good news.A cousin of mine complained of pain around his kidneys and the doctors found a 7 inch tumor on that kidney.It was removed last week and he won’t need chemo or radio and is cancer-free.Needless to say,we’re all very happy

Thanks for all the prayers and kind words,they’ve all helped

As soon as I feel a lot stronger,I’ll log on more often.

Have a great day and until next time,
    much love to ya’ll
    Fred :grin:

• 451 mtmarilyn
      January 1, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Happy New Year Fred! Please continue to get better! Wow, a 7 inch tumor. Prayers are always there for all the TOD family. Have a great day.

• 452 Alycee (@jazziz2)
      January 1, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Happy New Year, Fred, to you and your family. May you be Blessed with Love, Peace, Joy and improved health!

• 453 a4alice
      January 1, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Fred! Always good to hear from you – hope you continue to gain your strength! Happy New Year :-)

January 1, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Happy New Year, Fred! As always, wishing you well. Great news about your cousin!!

• 455 GGail
      January 1, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Happy New Year Fred! It’s so good to hear from you and that you and your family are still as well as can be. We keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

January 1, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Fred, you felt our NY wishes! ;) ;) Sweet to hear from you, and hopeful you’ll be back to full strength soon in 2013. {{{Fred}}}

128. January 1, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Good to hear from you Fred, I’m glad you and your mother are better. My prayers for your continued and more rapid recovery.

129. 459 Bill R.
    January 1, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Unfortunately the GOP Tea Party House is doing to kill the bill and give us all a tax increase. Confirmed by GOP Rep leaving caucus. “We’re sending it back to the Senate.”

130. 460 Bill R.
    January 1, 2013 at 2:41 pm

131. January 1, 2013 at 2:42 pm

132. January 1, 2013 at 2:43 pm

133. 466 vitaminlover
    January 1, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Happy New Year officially today!

134. 467 Bill R.
    January 1, 2013 at 3:00 pm

January 1, 2013 at 3:02 pm

136. 469 busbus
    January 1, 2013 at 3:04 pm

On this site everyday, in fact, several times a day. Sometimes I post a comment or two; other times, I just lurk. Anyway, before this day and the start of this brand new year is history, just want to wish all of you a HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR.

137. January 1, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Only someone incapable of predicting lack of oxygen is unhealthy would be surprised by this …..

138. January 1, 2013 at 3:11 pm

CBO just said this bill adds 4 trillion to the debt over a decade.
    That right there might kill this bill.
    Wow!

139. January 1, 2013 at 3:11 pm

January 1, 2013 at 3:12 pm

This is the real problem.

141. January 1, 2013 at 3:17 pm

142. 480 squarepeg
    January 1, 2013 at 3:24 pm

143. 481 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    January 1, 2013 at 3:24 pm

144. 483 Ladyhawke
    January 1, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Krystal Ball ‏@KrystalBall1

—————————————-

Serious advice for Boehner: pass the senate bill w dem support and then resign as speaker. Wld be smart, patriotic and brave.

—————————————–

January 1, 2013 at 3:25 pm

146. January 1, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Should we start drinking or all stay sober?? I think sober for me; but
    drinking does have its charm.
    Bobfr, whatca doin’? What’re ya looking at?? rsvp when you have a minute.

• January 1, 2013 at 3:28 pm

okay, now I see you Bobfr . . . .

• January 1, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Good day Sara,

Will be sipping some wine later today, but totally ‘sober’ as I wouldn’t want to miss a moment of what has been unfolding these past few days. No surprises, yet. The WH has almost certainly known that Cantor would do exactly what he’s doing and as I mentioned yesterday/early this morning – as the Senate R’s were piling on with yes votes, it was the surest signal yet that Cantor and the #teatraitors would crash the deal. Now is when it will get really interesting, i.e., between now and noon ET on Thursday when the new Congress is sworn in and any 112th legislation dies.

Hope you are enjoying the day and that 2013 will be a good year for you and your loved ones.

#TrustBarack

147. January 1, 2013 at 3:28 pm

BTW, a big hint was when the WH allowed it to be called ‘Biden-McConnell’ and not ‘PBO-McConnell’ …

148. January 1, 2013 at 3:31 pm

POS Cantor is against deal. What a surprise!

January 1, 2013 at 3:31 pm

150. January 1, 2013 at 3:33 pm

151. 493 FoxfireTX
    January 1, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Happy New Year peeps! Well, no big surprises today. The House looks like it is going to kill this deal. All sre acting like they do not understand the sequester cuts are still on the table snd instead will kill it because it does not contain sufficient cuts. Idiots one and all. But entirely predictable with this House.

152. 494 yardarm756
    January 1, 2013 at 4:10 pm

153. 495 LDS
    January 1, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Happy New Year!
    This is such a wonderful day to wake up to and feel the love and joy here to start another year!
    Welcome, 2013. We embrace you with a hard fight knowing that VICTORY is ours to behold.
    Thank you everyone here for making 2012 a year that brought out the best in all of us.
    We stayed the course, still fighting the good fight. Together we fought for this country that belongs to all us.
    We are who we have been waiting for.
    Thank you God for hearing our prayers.

January 1, 2013 at 4:27 pm

‘We are who we have been waiting for.’

One of my favourite campaign expressions. Happy New Year, Ms LDS!