Jan

Rise and Shine

Time: U.S. employers added 155,000 jobs in December, a steady gain that shows hiring held up during tense fiscal cliff negotiations in Washington …. The solid job growth wasn’t enough to push down the unemployment rate, which stayed 7.8 percent last month….

…. Robust hiring in manufacturing and construction fueled the December gains. Construction firms added 30,000 jobs, the most in 15 months… Layoffs are declining, and the number of people who sought unemployment aid in the past month is near a four-year low.

The once-battered housing market is recovering. Companies ordered more long-lasting manufactured goods in November, a sign they are investing more in equipment and software. And Americans spent more in November. Consumer spending drives nearly 70 percent of economic growth.

Manufacturing is getting a boost from the best auto sales in five years. Car sales jumped 13 percent in 2012 to 14.5 million. And Americans spent more at the tail end of the holiday shopping season, boosting overall sales that had slumped earlier in the crucial two-month period.

Full post here

Hilarious:

President Obama at Island Snow, a shaved ice shop, on January 3 in Kailua, Hawaii

Forgot to post this a couple of days ago:

NY Mag: Newtown, Conn. has had its share of somber visits from dignitaries in the weeks since the tragedy there, but a planned Friday visit by former U.S. Rep. Gabby Giffords is especially significant …. She’ll attend an event with no press access in a private house, and meet with families of the victims…

MooooOOOoooOOOooooorning everyone

116 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 cookemom
    January 4, 2013 at 8:46 am

Well howdy do to you O’s!!!! A great getting up day for us TODs, right? Hey lurkers, how about we hear from you today? Come on out and play with us!! Join us on the TOD playground complete with monkey bars, swings, slides, teeter totter and other fun stuffs.

In the meantime, retired House Rep, Barney Franks said that he told Mass. Governor Deval Patrick that he would be honored to accept the temporary position of Senator, to fill the empty seat left by John Kerry’s appointment as Secretary of State, for the approximate three months, until a special election is held to decide a permanent replacement. (how’s that for a run on sentence?)

January 4, 2013 at 8:46 am

Morning

3. 11 ourmanflint
    January 4, 2013 at 8:47 am

morning

4. January 4, 2013 at 8:47 am

Good Morning TOD. Happy Friday from Brooklyn

January 4, 2013 at 8:48 am

January 4, 2013 at 8:48 am

What a fantastic Round-up- Thanks Chips! :)

G’morning TOD, lurkers, everyone. Congratulations cookemom on #1!

7. 24 Rain
    January 4, 2013 at 8:48 am

Good morning TOD family.

8. 25 Rain
    January 4, 2013 at 8:50 am

Anyone want to fill me in on the facts surrounding the NDAA? I feel like I’m way out of the loop on this one.

• January 4, 2013 at 8:59 am

Well, when it comes to defense, we have a right wing Congress. Presumably, they put stuff in the bill refusing to transfer detainees from GetMo to Civilian Courts and the US mainland. And a bunch of similar BS, designed to embarrass POTUS(i think). The President objected, the Congress ignores the President, but the President gets blamed.
      Same old same old.

• 27 Japa21
        January 4, 2013 at 9:08 am

Of course, the problem is that PBO promised a veto due to some of the amendments. Because he didn’t he is being attacked by some on the left. I am not sure why he didn’t veto it.

I am looking forward to the Inaugural address and the SOTU. I am hoping he comes out on fire.

• January 4, 2013 at 9:23 am

The defense bill, like it or not, is the most important bill to a Commander in chief. Why? Because it allows the President to keep us safe. He put a signing statement negotiating that language of the bill, which gives him more options and flexibility.
          Therefore, I think the left needs to cool it!

• 29 Japa21
            January 4, 2013 at 9:45 am

I have read some other explanations, and they make sense, as to why he didn’t veto it. In that case, I wish he had never said he would veto it. I think he hoped by saying so he would be able to influence what was in the bill. But with this Congress, including lily-livered Dems, that didn’t have a chance of working.

• 30 Rain
          January 4, 2013 at 9:27 am

That was my question, I guess…was why he didn’t veto it if he wasn’t satisfied with it. But as in all things, I trust him. And YES I can’t wait for the Inauguration and the SOTU, both should be great! :)

• 31 Lovepolitics2008
          January 4, 2013 at 9:41 am

Japa, I think he was sure the veto wouldn’t work because he doesn’t have a lot of support from congressional democrats. So he decided not to spend any political capital. And of course, he needed the bill to go through because it’s an appropriation bill.

The signing statement is the only solution that makes sense strategically and pragmatically at this point. President Obama also made a signing statement last time, but didn’t act on it. This year, he may have to act, especially in the case of foreign prisoners in Baghram. There is the risk of his assertion of executive power being challenged in the Supreme Court, but I have to say I’m not sure republicans, nor democrats, will challenge President Obama if he transfers prisoners to their country of origin, especially if the movement of prisoners goes beyond the radar ( not covered by MSM). I suspect many congressional people are voting against transfers not on principle, but only because of the politics: they are afraid to appear weak on terrorism.

To be clear, I’m talking about transfer of prisoners in another country, NOT in the USA. The transfer of prisoners to prisons within the territory of the USA is absolutely impossible politically right now. It’s ridiculous how the republicans have peddled so much fear americans don’t trust their OWN prison system !!! I don’t know how long it will take before this irrational fear goes away. One thing for sure: the political power of the extreme right has to be destroyed before there is any chance of improvement on this.

• 32 Japa21
            January 4, 2013 at 9:48 am

I responded to Jovie above which hits some iof what you said. And I am truly disgusted at teh way Repub,lcians, and some Dems have played the fear card. A town in Illinois, which has a prison, was more than willing to accept prisoners from Gitmo. They knew it would help their economy and that they didn’t have to worry about being the targets of terrorists. And if they, in what would be the epicenter weren’t worried, why should the rest of us be?

• 33 Rain
            January 4, 2013 at 10:05 am

Thanks for the further explanation..it makes more sense to me now.. I hadn’t followed this at all, but the nutjobs are laying it on thick from both sides so I was curious as to what the real deal was. I love being able to come here and get the truth!

• 34 theo67
            January 4, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I wonder if they can transfer prisoners to another NATO country and have that country release them back to their own country. The GOP (and weak Dems) continue to put this country in danger.

• 35 cookemom
      January 4, 2013 at 9:17 am

As far as I can tell, PBO signed the Defense Bill that prevents him from moving prisoners from Guantanamo and prisons in Afghanistan. He signed it, but wrote a provision (forgot the name of what it’s called) that said he will interpret that part of the bill the way he sees fit. Of course McDoodle and Grahamcracker threw a hissy fit.

• 36 Rain
        January 4, 2013 at 9:31 am

So, he can take that part of it on a case by case basis then?

• 37 cookemom
          January 4, 2013 at 9:34 am

Not sure, but he is a Constitutional scholar and knows what he’s able to do.

• 38 veryslowwriter
            January 4, 2013 at 12:37 pm

I wish people would recognize this! HE KNOWS WHAT HE’S DOING. He has advisors but in the end it’s his decision. He’s not impetuous or temperamental. Everything he does reflects that.
            I’m reminded of the line from the Michael Lewis profile in Vanity Fair: I get the problems no one else can solve. If it can be solved by someone else, it is solved before it gets to me.

9. 39 Dudette
    January 4, 2013 at 8:53 am

Happy First Friday Everybody! Have a super sparkly day! :-D

• 40 xtine
      January 4, 2013 at 9:03 am

LOL, Dudette! For some odd reason that commercial had me cracking up!

• 41 prettyfoot58
      January 4, 2013 at 9:59 am

LOVE THAT…Have a Super Sparkly Day….yourself….

i tell you i wish i was as witty as some of the members of TOD are,,,hahahahhahaha

January 4, 2013 at 8:53 am

January 4, 2013 at 8:54 am

PBO looks so relaxed in Hawaii. Good for him!

• 44 Rain
      January 4, 2013 at 9:10 am

I agree Hope…it’s always a treat to get to see the raw clips of him out and about, mingling with the public.

January 4, 2013 at 8:56 am

Good Morning Ms Chips, nice to see you in the village! (If you are still here.)

Good Morning, TODobots! It’s Friday….isn’t it?

Well done CookeM, – that 1 hour daily dancing is paying off! :lol: Wonder if it would work for me too?

• January 4, 2013 at 9:00 am

Moooooooooooorning VC!!!!

• 52 cookemom
      January 4, 2013 at 9:05 am

Absolutely it will work! Just find something that makes you want to twist and shout and stream it for an hour on your ‘puter. Make your open tab the page that allows you to see the TOD playground. Dance until you see that Chips has unlocked the gate to let us in to play (run for the swings, they get taken first).

January 4, 2013 at 9:13 am

Thanks, CM, sounds doable except for the ‘stream it ..on you ‘puter’ part. Questions: How long do I have to twist and shout before seeing tangible results? And, is the shout a vital part of this regimen? Seems to me the shout would take up much of my precious energy needed for the twist. Just checking all the parameters before committing myself (while trying to scout out an easier way of course). :grin:

• 54 cookemom
          January 4, 2013 at 9:32 am

There are no parameters or restrictions for twisting and shouting. You just flail around, kicking up your heels, jumping around, and shaking every tendon in your body. Yes, the shouting is most necessary. The energy expended not only helps with the burn, but it’ll strengthen the rafters and foundation in your house as well. The results are in how you feel, not what you’ll see. Once you get that good feeling, the rest will follow. That’s the easy way of course. The hardest way is doing nothing.

January 4, 2013 at 9:45 am

Now CookeM, after doing such a good job selling me this twist and shout regimen, you really shouldn’t have closed out your helpful suggestions with a line about feelings. If feelings are part of the end result it behooves me to admit that I already get that good feeling …….doing nothing. /ouch! Okay, okay, I’m sorry I feel that way/

• 58 prettyfoot58
            January 4, 2013 at 10:05 am

cookemom….

using the WW plan i have lost weight …but mercy me…my upper arms are disaster…..i bought this apparatus made to tone up my upper arms and chest….(wow …imagine that)…..5 minutes 3 times a day…wish me success….

ps….what i wouldn’t give for the tone arms of our beloved FLOTUS…

PBO has a new fitness guru….(cannot remember her name-she is a former Olympian) i watched her over the weekend…she said to be the best of what you can be…. :-) and so i shall…..

FORWARD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• 59 cookemom
              January 4, 2013 at 10:20 am

Good luck prettyfoot. Mine was a one year journey and I lost considerable weight and now run a 5K daily in less than 30 minutes. For upper body and core toning, try planks or anything where you use your own body weight for resistance. Good luck!

January 4, 2013 at 9:48 am

*run for the swings, they get taken first*

That had me in the moment, right there with you in the playground. And I’m one of the older girls. Ha!

13. January 4, 2013 at 9:04 am

Ooh. Top 20. Good morning Chips and TOD. HOPE you all have a great day!

14. 63 Ladyhawke
    January 4, 2013 at 9:04 am

(VIDEO) BARNEY FRANK: On the 112th Congress and LGBT future.

The legacy of the least popular Congress

Retiring congressman Barney Frank shares his thoughts on the legacy of the 112th Congress and the future of LGBT progress in the 113th Congress.

15. January 4, 2013 at 9:06 am

Chuck Todd- I think we shut down the Government for a few weeks. Why not, we did it before?
    Why not?
    Well, 800k federal Employees would be furloughed, If our enemies wanted to attack us that would be the time. And what about shutting down clean water, clean food, clean air, National Patks etc?
    Why not Chuck? Why not?

• 65 jackiegrumbacher
      January 4, 2013 at 9:17 am

Well, Jovie, Chuck figures it wouldn’t affect him personally and since he is incapable of empathy, he has no qualms about it. It’s a typical
      “I am NOT my brother’s keeper” Republican attitude.

January 4, 2013 at 9:21 am

What an irresponsible thing to say! The media is a HUGE part of why the GOP has felt so emboldened to keep repeating the outrageous brinkmanship they’ve been doing since PBO took office. Everything is a damn game. These adolescent boys in the media and GOP need to grow up and stop being the menace that they are to society.

• 67 Lovepolitics2008
        January 4, 2013 at 9:58 am

They are so insulated, they indeed are incapable to go beyond the political spectacle. The consequences in real life are not that real for them. Washington is a big bubble. They become desensitized to the struggles of ordinary americans.

Even the people with the best intentions have to make an effort to stay in touch with reality; look at President Obama who is reading letters from ordinary americans EACH day. He has always been aware of the danger of the Washington bubble. He is ALWAYS putting people first; that’s one of his numerous qualities. That’s also one of the reasons the Beltway is so uncomfortable with him.

• January 4, 2013 at 9:59 am

The word for that kind of casualness and cynicism about human beings is unprintable. Come on Chuck Todd….where is your brain? And, the President didn’t close Guantanamo? Ask your colleagues why instead of complaining about what PBO didn’t do.

• 69 prettyfoot58
      January 4, 2013 at 10:09 am

the debt ceiling is more than shutting down the FED gov….it is about the FAith and Credit of the USA…Todd knows this…his remarks are lies and irresponsible …..when you tell a deliberate untruth….you are lying….plain and simple

16. 70 Ladyhawke
    January 4, 2013 at 9:06 am

Barney Frank Would Welcome Interim Appointment To Fill Kerry’s Senate Seat

———————

“I’m not going to be coy. It’s not anything I’ve ever been good at,” Frank said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.” “I’ve told the governor that I would now like, frankly, to do that because I would like to be a part of that. It’s only a three-month period. I wouldn’t want to do anything more. I don’t want to run again.”

————————————-

• 71 jackiegrumbacher
      January 4, 2013 at 9:21 am

How great to have someone in the Senate for even three months who would be entertaining, owes nothing to anybody and is free to do and say anything he wants without fear of re-election. It would certainly liven up the dreary debt ceiling debates. Hope Gov. Patrick takes him up on it.

• 72 Lovepolitics2008
      January 4, 2013 at 10:05 am

Despite his tendency to speak fast and his bad prononciation, I find Barney Frank a very effective surrogate on television, and I hope he will be of great help in the coming debate about the sequester and the debt ceiling. With Elisabeth Warren, what a team from Massachussets !!

17. 73 GGAIL
    January 4, 2013 at 9:11 am

Good West Coast morning Chipsticks! Friday`s Good :)

January 4, 2013 at 9:13 am

19. 77 Ladyhawke
    January 4, 2013 at 9:13 am

US economy adds 155k jobs in December, jobless rate unchanged

By Steve Benen

————————————–

Politically, I suspect most will find this report underwhelming — because it is — but this should, in theory, only serve to remind policymakers and the rest of the political world that the economic recovery is not yet robust, and focusing on deficit reduction and austerity instead of economic growth and job creation is misguided and counterproductive.

—————————————

January 4, 2013 at 9:14 am

• 79 99ts
      January 4, 2013 at 9:42 am

I’ve got to limit my reading to the links from Chips. These people are never going to stop attacking the President – because he does his job. If the President says 2 + 2 = 4 – they will argue that “new maths” is the way to go. They have a vitriolic hatred of a black man being in the white house – there is nothing else to explain what they do. In 8 years of GWB there were never such continuous vicious attacks – and there was the man who started all the wars, spent all the money & generated the worst economic crash in 75 years.

• 80 dotster3
        January 4, 2013 at 9:53 am

I have to say the Repubs were relentless against Clinton too. There were new outrageous attacks daily, accusing him of every crime known to man, including murder. Steady barrage against Hillary too. They just cannot stand being beat and out of power, out of the WH, not in charge, not making all the decisions.

January 4, 2013 at 10:09 am

That’s why I’m not falling for their newfangled “love” for the Clintons since PBO was elected. No sirree. And I think Hillary is smart enough to realize that all this phony adulation from the media and GOP is nothing more than a ploy to bait her to run so they can destroy her.

January 4, 2013 at 9:15 am

I hope he gets the votes needed.

22. January 4, 2013 at 9:18 am

The House Is decoupling the Sandy bill. They will vote in 9 billion today, as FEMA flood insurance money runs out Today.
    And then in 2 weeks, another 51 billion for infrastructure that was damaged.
    I have a hard tine believing that the 51 billion will pass the House. So, this 9 billion looks like it might be all those poor states are getting. I hope I am wrong!

• 86 jackiegrumbacher
      January 4, 2013 at 9:24 am

Depends on whether Boehner brings it to the floor for the full House to vote on. We would only need 18 reps to join the Dems. I imagine the NY and NJ delegations of both parties are going to be screaming.

• 88 99ts
      January 4, 2013 at 9:26 am

Hopefully a couple of governors will say about the new house what they said about the old

January 4, 2013 at 9:18 am

Navy blue t-shirt and jeans ? Really dood?

• January 4, 2013 at 9:22 am

:lol: Here comes the fashion police! Morning Amk!

• 91 amk for obama
        January 4, 2013 at 9:24 am

The dood should let his better-half decide his casual outfits. He sux on his own.

• 92 Obama Grandmama
          January 4, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I remember from earlier days that PBO was known for not caring much about clothing but more about comfort. Gotta admit that sounds a lot like me. I thought upon seeing the too casual shirt and baggy jean photo that he must be getting real down time at his own comfort level on this vacation.

• 93 carolyn
      January 4, 2013 at 9:22 am

He’s on vacation!!!!!

• 94 amk for obama
        January 4, 2013 at 9:25 am

That’s no excuse.

• 95 dotster3
        January 4, 2013 at 10:09 am

Exactly—–let him be comfortable and wear whatever he damn pleases—–and besides, he looks adorable whatever he’s wearing. Every man should be so fortunate, ahem. And—-other than his presidential suit attire, I like him best in dark polos—-and besides, the activity was bowling and shaved ice, not a fashion statement occasion. The end.

January 4, 2013 at 9:24 am

LOL – I notice he loves his navy blue shirt whenever he’s relaxing – and on July 4th!

• 97 kathryn kivett
      January 4, 2013 at 10:10 am

Good Morning and All Right Y’all….let me ask you something…..Do you have an article of clothing…old sweat shirt, old t shirt, baggy jeans that make you feel comforted, at home, like saying Whew when you take off a too tight bra or too tight jeans?….I do and it has clorox spots on it and I TRIPLE DARE anyone to try to sneak it out of my house to the garbage…..that’s what that navy blue shirt is…”home”….so give the poor man some slack…afterall he has to stay in a too tight tie 50% or more of his life….and the rest of the time the R’s are trying to choak him with their vitriol…..just pointing that out ; ^ )

January 4, 2013 at 9:21 am

The good news continues.

25. January 4, 2013 at 9:25 am

Good Morning, Everyone :)

26. January 4, 2013 at 9:33 am

Good morning Chips and TOD family. I hope for everyone to have a splendid day today. Congrats Cookemon on being first this lovely Friday morning. TGIF>>

27. January 4, 2013 at 9:45 am

Heys Chips where’s the growing flower picture?

January 4, 2013 at 9:47 am

January 4, 2013 at 9:49 am

30. January 4, 2013 at 9:52 am

Good morning everyone! Starting my day with the President’s playlist. Great pics and videos to start the day and…it’s Friday.

January 4, 2013 at 9:52 am

32. 114 proudmemberofglobalzero
    January 4, 2013 at 10:10 am

Good Morning all. Resting with serious back issues before I go to work this afternoon. I did make a very important call this morning. I called my new rep in the House. I am in a new district. Yes, Florida 22 was suppose to go red but we got a blue rep. She heard from me this morning at 9:02am. I suggest we all call our reps and let them know we expect them to work for our President and us. Here is the link to find yours:

Remember to congratulate them and welcome them in your phone call. Love to all, Sue

33. 115 Ladyhawke
    January 4, 2013 at 10:16 am

BARNEY FRANK TELLS A BIT OF TRUTH ON MORNING JOE (MUST SEE)

NOTE: Be forewarned “ace reporter” Bob Woodward is on the panel and he is very concerned that President Obama has not done more “schmoozing” with members of Congress. You know, the members of congress who attended a meeting on the night of his inauguration and decided they would block everything he tried to do. As far as Bob Woodward is concerned it’s all President Obama’s fault that there is so much dysfunction in congress. Lack of schmoozing was a missed opportunity according to Woodward. smdh

34. 116 Linda
    January 4, 2013 at 10:18 am

For the first 15-20 minutes of the MouningJoke show today was spent complaining about the President for not massaging anyone in Congress.

Joe….Mrs Greenspan and Al Hunt all went after him because he , get this….

” Prefers to spend time with his family ” than svck up to the egos in Congress.

The only one that did not pile on was Michael Steele.

I guess the other 3 want to be the President’s social secretary…..