345 Responses to “And the nominees are…..”

January 7, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Critics have “completely distorted” his record, the former Nebraska senator said in his first interview as President Barack Obama’s designated choice to be secretary of defense. While he has been “hanging out there in no-man’s land unable to respond to charges, falsehoods and distortions,” Hagel said, a negative assessment of his record by critics and opponents “took on a life of its own.” But the fact is that there is “not one shred of evidence that I’m anti-Israeli, not one (Senate) vote that matters that hurt Israel.” “I didn’t sign on to certain resolutions and letters because they were counter-productive and didn’t solve a problem,” Hagel said.

Critics have hammered Hagel for not joining most of his Senate colleagues in signing on to a number of policy pronouncements that sometimes were sought by AIPAC, the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, the influential pro-Israel lobbying organization in Washington. “How does that further the peace process in the Middle East?” Hagel asked. “What’s in Israel’s interest is to help Israel and the Palestinians find some peaceful way to live together.” As for allegations that he has been soft toward Iran’s apparent efforts to develop a nuclear weapons capacity, Hagel pointed to his support for strong international sanctions, including those currently in place.

More here: http://journalstar.com/news/national/govt-and-politics/article_c4f3da0a-af78-5496-b62f-a89ca28c4bac.html#.UOse0DdWBHc.twitter

• 19 theo67
      January 7, 2013 at 4:53 pm

The question is: Is Chuck Hagel being nominated to be Secretary of Defense of the Israel or the United States? I couldn’t care less what Hagel’s opinion of Israel is, because as far as I’m concerned, the foreign policy comes from President Obama, who was re-elected with strong majorities. It would be great to hear what Israel has done to protect the United States from threat, and to give something back in the relationship. In the meantime, President Obama gets to choose his own team and his own agenda. And I don’t think that making Israel and Netanyahu’s puppets in the US Congress is high up on his list of priorities.

2. 25 carolmaewy
    January 7, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Might be 5?

3. 26 Japa21
    January 7, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Always a minute late.

January 7, 2013 at 2:37 pm
  5. 29 PoliticalJunkessa
    January 7, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Today shows why it was so important for PBO to be re-elected. This is legacy building and long-term viewing at it’s best.

Appointing (nominating) well-qualified, sane, intelligent individuals to posts like CIA, Secretary of Defense and Secretary of State further cements PBO’s legacy and further ensures that these agencies will be led and staffed by excellent public servants, unlike Dubya’s parade of idiots and ne’er do wells.

So proud of my President!

• 30 jackiegrumbacher
      January 7, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Well said, Junkessa, when you think of the warmongering buffoons and assorted idiots that the “other fellow” would have nominated it makes your skin crawl. And that doesn’t even touch on the hair raising SCOTUS nominees that he would have put forward.

• 31 PoliticalJunkessa
        January 7, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Yep. We would be in for a world of hurt, and in another war in no time, I’m convinced, Jackie.

• 32 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      January 7, 2013 at 6:45 pm

DITTO HERE PJ!…:)

• 34 nathkatun7
      January 7, 2013 at 10:21 pm

I am with you PJ! President Obama is focused on giving the American people a government they can be proud of. I think the two Republicans he appointed in 2008, Robert Gates and Ray LaHood, demonstrated that they are beyond ignorant partisanship. I am sure Chuck Hagel will pursue his duties as SoD for the good of the country and not just for the gratification of neocons or other right wing or left wing ideologues.

January 7, 2013 at 2:42 pm
    January 7, 2013 at 2:43 pm
    January 7, 2013 at 2:49 pm

When a knight won his spurs, in the stories of old,
    He was gentle and brave, he was gallant and bold
    With a shield on his arm and a lance in his hand,
    For God and for valour he rode through the land.

No charger have I, and no sword by my side,
    Yet still to adventure and battle I ride,
    Though back into storyland giants have fled,
    And the knights are no more and the dragons are dead.

Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
    ‘Gainst the dragons of anger, the ogres of greed;
    And let me set free with the sword of my youth,
    From the castle of darkness, the power of the truth.

(Jan Struther 1901-1953)

9. January 7, 2013 at 2:52 pm
    • 45 theo67
      January 7, 2013 at 4:58 pm

I’m thrilled that they endorsed him on the same day that he was nominated. Americans should be asking themselves what it means to say “we support the troops”, if they allow actual war heroes like Chuck Hagel and John Kerry be disrespected and maligned by the Republican Party. It’s really sickening.

10. 47 andogriff
    January 7, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Saw it live on CNN, our president spoke eloquently and beautifully, as always. Excellent choices for SecDef and CIA chief!

11. January 7, 2013 at 2:54 pm
      January 7, 2013 at 3:04 pm

RT’d!

• 50 HZ
        January 7, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Bobfr, again thanks for your sharp and focused observations. I appreciate your very constant focus on what we have to do to continue to support our president and the people of this nation.

I personally feel that Sen. Baldwin needed to use her time, not in front of the tv camera this morning, but in her private conversation with Mr. Hagel as she will have face time with Nominee Hagel. I felt that her spoken words this morning just continues to muddy the waters on this issue.

I am grateful for the women being in the Senate, but Sen. Baldwin needs to maybe learn that in some cases, some words need to be formed in a more measured manner and in an appropriate venue. I just did not appreciate the manner in which she chose to communicate her concerns at this time. There is a place and time for everything, this was not the time.HZ

12. 52 Rain
    January 7, 2013 at 2:54 pm

So proud (yet again) of PBO today. He is a prime example of real, true leadership.

13. 53 auni
    January 7, 2013 at 2:59 pm

In watching the President talking about the nomination of Hagel I was struck with the importance of placing people in high positions who understand how their decisions impact the lives of regular people. President Obama talked about Hagel fighting in Viet Nam. Hagel knows what war is all about. Part of the problem with Bush and Chaney was that they had no idea what war is–just “bring it on”. Both the President and Mrs. Obama have put a spotlight on military families and the effects of war on actual people. Although the President hasn’t been in war, his empathy for those who have far exceeds that of former presidents. I had the idea that those that vote to go to war should have some skin in the game. If they don’t have a son or daughter to send, maybe there would be a nephew or granddaughter–make it real. I think of Romney with 5 sons, none who served–what a poor example. I know–I have some simplistic thinking going on here, but there it is.

• 54 yardarm756
      January 7, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Spot on auni.

• 55 Pamela
      January 7, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Not at all simplistic, auni, you are thinking realistically and in a humane manner. IMHO.

• 56 theo67
      January 7, 2013 at 5:00 pm

But, remember, Romney’s sons served by helping him become elected – even though they failed dismally at their task. (Thank heavens!) ;)

• 57 coop10
      January 7, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Nothing simplistic about your sentiments at all. The president said that Hagel knows that “war is not an abstraction.” For that outlook alone, Hagel should be our next Secretary of Defense. The Republicans do not give one whit about actual military personnel, and they have no hesitation about starting wars and fighting them with other people’s children

• 58 nathkatun7
      January 7, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Well said auni! It’s really a shame that many of the politicians and media people who are quick to advocate going to war have never served in the military.

14. 59 Blue
    January 7, 2013 at 3:01 pm

This President is such a good man, for I could never trust nor eat from any Republican, period! Watch your back Mr. President!

January 7, 2013 at 3:04 pm

DAMN….Don’t fuck with Jay Carney. He just walked back to the podium and took down Mark Knoller.

January 7, 2013 at 3:07 pm
    • January 7, 2013 at 3:15 pm

whoops! didnt see your tweet…. great minds think alike?

• 74 Lovepolitics2008
      January 7, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Wanna bet that President Obama’s numbers are below 50% because some liberals think President Obama shouldn’t have made compromises at all, and/or are following the conventional wisdom that he should have gone over the cliff ? I’m happy though that the republicans’ numbers are in the toilet.

(For my part, I’ve always been skeptical that going over the cliff was a better strategy. There were real urgencies: unemployment benefits, energy tax credits to name a few. And I think if all the tax cuts had expired, after a few days or weeks of the MSM saying “both sides are to blame”, a great number of americans would have indeed blamed both sides and President Obama’s advantage would have vanished. Let’s be very careful with the conventional wisdom in DC…)

• 75 theo67
        January 7, 2013 at 5:15 pm

How exactly does the “no compromise” side on the left differ from the “no compromise” side on the right, when the same poor and seniors and middle class workers get harmed by their staunch pursuits to “win”? The media and their extreme cohorts are so dangerous to the people of this country.

January 7, 2013 at 4:30 pm

So tired of having to poll every dam thing. Ask these people are they happy their taxes didn’t go up?

• 77 nathkatun7
        January 7, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I agree with you anniebella about all these polls. I also would like to ask the left if they would be happy if the unemployed people would no longer receive unemployment benefits if the President refused to compromise. I am tired of privileged people acting as if they know better than President Obama when it comes to looking out for the interests of people who have no lobbyists in the halls of Congress. I am glad the President took the deal. This means that a friend of our with three kids will still receive unemployment benefits while she is still out there looking for a job.

17. January 7, 2013 at 3:13 pm
  18. January 7, 2013 at 3:14 pm

OMG, is this ever delicious, or what?

PBO, consummate rope-a-dope player, has succeeded in SEVERING a DEEP DIVIDE within the GOP.

My Twitter timeline is hilarious today because of the endorsements coming from the GOP including:

Bob Gates (former SecDef)
    Colin Powell
    Tom Ridge (original Homeland Security Secretary under GW Bush)
    Judd Gregg

And I’m sure the list will continue to grow throughout the day.

19. 84 PoliticalJunkessa
    January 7, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Woot, my “Four More Years” magnet just arrived in the mail. :-D It’s a great size and looks oh so lovely on my fridge! That pic is a classic.

• 85 Pamela
      January 7, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Oh, PJ, hurray! I confess to becoming impatient, as it seems so long ago… Maybe mine (ours/VC) will come tomorrow! :) I’m sure they are bee-you-ta-AFULL!

January 7, 2013 at 3:21 pm
    January 7, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Jay Carney had finished the press briefing and was walking off the podium when Mark Knoller began spewing nonsense about how Pres. Obama had racked up huge spending, had authorized multiple spending bills and then he began spewing nonsense about the debt ceiling. Carney turned around walked back to the podium (his expression was “Motherfucker what did you just say about Pres. Obama?”) he looked Knoller dead in the eye and began responding to Knoller’s nonsense. He pretty much told Knoller that it was a lie regarding what he said about Pres. Obama and spending. He told Knoller that it’s disingenuous for him to ascribe spending bills that were passed in the Bush Admin to Pres. Obama. He told Knoller that everyone knows who turned a surplus into a deficit so let’s not pretend that Pres. Obama is at fault.

Knoller kept trying to interrupt him and Carney cut him off and gave a rundown of spending bills, how Bush turned a huge surplus into a deficit, how the debt ceiling doesn’t mean Pres. Obama spent recklessly but it means congress spent the money and should now pay its bills. Knoller muttered something and Carney told Knoller point blank that Pres. Obama will not negotiate with a congress that threatens to abdicate its obligations.

Then Carney did the equivalent of “Good Day Sir” and walked away.

• 90 Bill
      January 7, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Beautiful, thanks.

• January 7, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Damn. I love it. Thank you, Jay Carney. There’s nothing that says he or the President or anybody else
        has to take abusive bullshit talk from anybody in the WhiteHousePress Corps. Bravo! Encore!
        Truly we owe it to the peoples to push back again and again and again in the White House PressCorps gatherings.

• 92 jackiegrumbacher
          January 7, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Yes, Sara, we do owe it to the people and to ourselves to refute the bs. I don’t know who people like Mark Knoller think they’re dealing with. They cover the president for years and simply don’t know him. It’s as if they deliberately close their eyes and mind to the truth. The result is they look like complete horses’ asses.

• 93 theo67
            January 7, 2013 at 5:27 pm

They are puppets for the right wing machinery, and they can’t jump ship even though they can see that the ship is sinking. They are passengers on the Titanic, still sipping whiskey in their tuxedos, even after the last of the lifeboats are being lowered.

• 94 HZ
            January 7, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Thanks Sara. You hit the nail on the head. Jackiegrumbacher, you are so on point as well. “They cover the president for years and simply don’t know him.” So true, and you are so correct, they “deliberately close their eyes and mind to the truth.” Yes, and they surely do when it comes to President Barack Obama. But we will stay on their behinds. Not this second term will we let up. We will ride these arses!!!HZ

• 95 andogriff
      January 7, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Thanks ut, wow! Love Carney. What an asset!! Brilliant take-down, enough of the lies already!

• January 7, 2013 at 3:36 pm

THANKS, UT. Was wondering about the cryptic comments above. Bravo for Jay. He’s one of my heroes.

• 97 Rain
      January 7, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Yes! (((Jay)))

• 98 Pamela
      January 7, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Bravo, Mr. Carney. I don’t really have much insight into the Knoller-ass chap, but I know from the amount of attention his idiocy earns here on TOD, he must be a truly witless wonder. I, for one, am very tired of seeing him quoted and re-tweeted here daily, and have to ask if he doesn’t get more attention than he deserves? Maybe this upbraiding from Press Secretary Carney will shut him up for a while, but let us not keep giving him back his muttering voice. ?

January 7, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Oh sweet honey boo boo, do anyone have that on video ut? I want to see that.

• 100 theo67
      January 7, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Not one of these right wingers, media, pundits, twitter-experts, etc., can ever actually list what they think makes up the current deficit. I asked one of them point blank on twitter a few months ago to tell me what bills President Obama had passed that he thought made up the deficit total. He couldn’t. I sent him charts showing that the bulk of the deficit came from Bush’s spending, and that debt incurred during President Obama’s time included extraordinary measures to recover the economy from Bush’s recession, and that the Stimulus had already been paid off through deficit reduction efforts. He just stopped tweeting after a while. They talk in generalities, but when confronted with specific questions or called to supply specifics to back up their arguments, they go running. Cowards and liars.

• 101 HZ
        January 7, 2013 at 5:42 pm

I love Jay and I totally think that he must and should be given more respect from these nuts. I can hold my tongue at some points, but I made an effort to call the WH and tell them how I felt about the treatment of the WHPC.

I also wrote to the WH about the same issue. I know that our POTUS and those representing the president at the podium in the press room will not take this crap during this second term. The WH team is tired of this disrespect to Jay and to the President. They are not coming out swinging, and they are going to be strong on this. Enough is enough. I truly believe that when we see it and hear it coming from the WHPC, those of us who have the desire to call these people out should do so. Call them out.HZ

• 102 Judith Fardig
      January 7, 2013 at 7:25 pm

More of this please! Carney is fabulous at his job, and I hope he stays on throughout the second term.

• 103 amk for obama
      January 7, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Yay, Go Jay.

ut, you are the best live blogger and tweeter.

And hf is the best deconstructor of media bs.

• 104 nathkatun7
      January 7, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Thanks UT for sharing this! I am so proud of Jay Carney! Enough is enough with these imbecile and unethical reporters!

• 105 carolmaewy
      January 8, 2013 at 12:41 am

Thanks for that.

22. 106 Don
    January 7, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I hope my gay, lesbian, and transgendered brothers and sisters don’t get corralled into picking sides, if anyone remembers it was President Obama that ended DADT. And in a couple of months the Supreme Court will in my humble opinion end DOMA, all of these life changing events are happening under President Obama and it’s not a coincident.

• 107 Bill
      January 7, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Andrew Sullivan is a big supporter of Hagel, and Barney Frank is now supporting his nomination. The gay question will be off the table in a day or so, except for the Log Cabin Republicans.

• 108 Don
        January 7, 2013 at 3:59 pm

I never understood the Log Cabin Republicans’ ideology, to belong to a political party that does not have your best interest in mind is so outrageous.

• 109 yardarm756
          January 7, 2013 at 4:27 pm

It’s all about the money. There are some who put dollars and the potential to acquire them ahead of everything.

• 110 theo67
      January 7, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Any self-respecting LGBT person would never side with the Log Cabin Republicans, who belong to a party that just put up Santorum and Bachmann as presidential candidates. Hagel has apologized for what he said, and he will implement the policies that President Obama sets forward. The Republican Party is still prosecuting DOMA, at taxpayers expense, and the Log Cabin idiots have said nothing all this time. They are despicable and self-hating.

23. 111 Bill R.
    January 7, 2013 at 3:42 pm
  24. January 7, 2013 at 3:48 pm
  25. 118 susanne
    January 7, 2013 at 4:07 pm

aloha chips and tod ohana
    great day for the president and the nation! just saw this additional news–the supremes denying rwnjs their day in court:

‘ The Supreme Court refused to step into the emotionally charged debate over embryonic stem cell research Monday, declining to hear a case that sought to stop government funding on ethical grounds.

The decision leaves in place President Obama’s 2009 executive order expanding research on stem cells taken from human embryos, which many scientists say has the potential to produce breakthroughs in treatment of numerous conditions, particularly spinal cord injuries, diabetes and Parkinson’s disease. ‘

• 119 57andfemale
      January 7, 2013 at 4:20 pm

I am forever astounded at these people who would protect life in a petrie dish, but have no problem with guns in schools and the suffering of the living from so many diseases. Forever astounded.

January 7, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Yes, RWNJs would not want us to find treatment breakthroughs for spinal cord injuries, diabetes, Parkinson’s disease, and the like. That would be socialist muslim kenyan, I guess.

26. 122 No Child Left Behind
    January 7, 2013 at 4:08 pm

McCain:

“Chuck Hagel served our nation with honor in Vietnam and I congratulate him on this nomination. I have serious concerns about positions Senator Hagel has taken on a range of critical national security issues in recent years, which we will fully consider in the course of his confirmation process before the Senate Armed Services Committee.”

Me:

“I’ve serious concerns about McCain’s sanity since 2008. The years have passed, my concerns have not disappeared.”

January 7, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Would you happen to recall if McCain ever got a senior committee assignment? For instance, is he on the Senate Armed Services Committee? I recall he was begging for one of them.

• 124 No Child Left Behind
        January 7, 2013 at 4:28 pm

To tell you the truth, I don’t know. But with this senile obsessed-mavericky-POW-carrying-card man, everything is possible as he showed us in picking the Wasilla crazy for his VP.

I pray that he is involved in NO COMMITTEE WORK. Too much instability.

• 126 aquagranny911
        January 7, 2013 at 5:38 pm

McCain had senior assignments on Armed Services & Foreign Affairs Committee, I think. He is now termed out for everything but the Native Affairs committee. This is why he was so eager to form a special committee to investigate Bengazi. He is basically irrelevant.

• 128 carla4obama
      January 7, 2013 at 4:28 pm

McCain……Hagel has been a long time friend of yours and has given you support through the years. I hope you “concerns”, like you, disappear soon.

• 129 jackiegrumbacher
      January 7, 2013 at 4:30 pm

It’s certainly a curious world when a man of McCain’s twisted views, pathological hatred and questionable ethics gets to sit in
      judgment on someone like Hagel. I agree with you, No Child. In my opinion, McCain isn’t fit to judge a cat contest, let alone asses a SOD.

January 7, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I agree also, any fool that select Sarah Palin as their VP candidate isn’t qualified to judge anybody, specially Sen. Hagel.

• January 7, 2013 at 4:39 pm
    • 132 amk for obama
      January 7, 2013 at 8:35 pm
    • 133 nathkatun7
      January 7, 2013 at 10:59 pm

My concern is: When will Sen. McCain get over the fact that President Obama thoroughly defeated him in 2008? If I had the opportunity to meet McCain this what I would say to him: “Senator, time to get over the 2008 defeat. Stop blaming President Obama because the majority of Americans picked him over you. You are increasingly coming across as a small man and a sore looser.”

27. January 7, 2013 at 4:14 pm
  28. January 7, 2013 at 4:19 pm

For some reason, Robert Reich is on tv more than any other Person in the History of Politics.
    Some times I agree with him, most times I do not, but I am getting sick of Him.
    Isn’t their anybody else?

• 137 Bill
      January 7, 2013 at 4:27 pm

He is on a great deal, but I am not certain if he beats Miss Lindsey and McCain.

• 139 COS
      January 7, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Jovie when I see Reich and Bernie Sanders on the tv, I mute the tv. They should make a recording and let it play instead of making an appearane. They say the same thing over and over. I am beginning to wonder about their expiration dates. :)

• 140 amk for obama
      January 7, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Useful idiots from the loony left. Useful for the rw that is.

• 141 nathkatun7
      January 7, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Jovie, I am sick of Robert Reich too! He is one of those born again progressives who think they are so pure than the rest of us.

29. 142 carla4obama
    January 7, 2013 at 4:24 pm

This comment has nothing to do with politics…but Chuck Hagel is a mighty handsome man. He has aged with grace.

• 143 Bill
      January 7, 2013 at 4:31 pm

I believe men and women of honor age with grace. Nasty people do not.

• 150 jackiegrumbacher
      January 7, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Well, Carla, I absolutely agree with you. Speaking as an “older woman” I would say he’s aged wonderfully. Better looking now than his Vietnam photo.

• 151 isonprize
      January 7, 2013 at 4:33 pm

carla4obama. eye-to-eye. I said pretty much the same thing, when I looked at the picture of he and his brother in the Viet Nam. “Both good-looking then, STILL good-looking now.”

• 152 carolyn
        January 7, 2013 at 5:08 pm

As another older woman, I agree with you, in that I think he’s better looking now than in his 20’s. That’s possibly because my husbeland has the same kind of looks, and he is still handsome. Some men age very well, others don’t. What someone earlier said, what they are inside shows when they get older, and the good ones inside become better looking.
        All of us show what we are when we get older. We can’t hide it…….bitterness, hate, anger…..these all show…..but also, so do compassion, love, generosity, goodness, altruism, grace…….
        My husband was thrilled to hear that he was an enlisted man in Viet Nam, as he was an enlisted man in Korea. This fact alone will mean a lot to millions of people.
        Since I knew little about Chuck Hagel’s background, I went to good old Wikipedia and learned about him. They are already updated to include his nomination as SOD. He had some scathing remarks about the low quality of the Bush administration!

30. January 7, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Rarely read Sullivan, but he quickly dispatches of Kristol in this comment …

31. January 7, 2013 at 4:30 pm

That’s just in the Milky Way.

32. January 7, 2013 at 4:45 pm
  33. 157 Vicki
    January 7, 2013 at 4:48 pm

If not for TOD I would not have heard about Colin Powell and Robert Gates endorsing Chuck Hagel. Those are two strong endorsements.
    i guess the MSM wants this to be a big cliff-hanger confirmation. Good luck with that.

34. 158 dotster3
    January 7, 2013 at 4:49 pm

I see plastered all over Iowa news sites is the Big News that Gov. Branstad bagged an 8 point buck, with a photo of his proud killing face posing along side the formerly alive deer. Unless this was his only means of acquiring food, I do not understand this activity, getting your jollies by killing an innocent living being. There are too many other options which do not involve shooting and killing.

35. 159 yardarm756
    January 7, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Time for afternoon humor.

I’m reaching out because a friend of mine needs some help !!!!

His wife told him to go out and get some of those pills that would help
    him get an erection.

When he came back, he tossed her some diet pills.

Anyway, he’s looking for a place to live.

Can you help him ????

36. 164 Ladyhawke
    January 7, 2013 at 5:03 pm

STEVE BENEN: DENNIS KUCINICH WOULD BE AN “IN-YOUR-FACE” NOMINATION

Combatants start taking sides on Hagel nomination

By Steve Benen

—————————–

Let’s put aside, at least for now, McCain’s skills when it comes to evaluating officials for high public office (ahem), and instead consider why Hagel’s “positions on a range of critical national security issues” were fine in 2008, when McCain wanted Hagel in his own cabinet, but raise “serious concerns” now. How does McCain explain this? As best as I can tell, he doesn’t.

Similarly, Bill Kristol wanted Hagel for national office on a Republican ticket, but is now helping lead the charge against Hagel’s nomination. Why anyone would take Kristol’s perspective seriously on such matters is itself a bit of a mystery.

But what’s especially interesting is the argument from the right about instigating a larger conflict. Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio) blamed President Obama for starting “yet another political fight.” Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-Ohio) believes Hagel is an “in-your-face nomination by the president.”

For the record, Dennis Kucinich would be an “in-your-face nomination.”

———————————-

• 165 theo67
      January 7, 2013 at 6:59 pm

If President Obama takes a deep breath, the GOP start screeching that he’s starting another political fight. Why do we have to keep listening to these people?

37. 166 susanne
    January 7, 2013 at 5:06 pm

i was wondering about the comment brennan made about his son returning to college, he ‘hopes’–maybe this is what the joke was referring to:

‘ The 19-year-old son of Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul (R) was arrested at a North Carolina airport over the weekend.

CNN reported Monday that William Paul has been charged with underage drinking and disorderly conduct. ‘

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/275829-sen-rand-pauls-teenage-son-arrested#ixzz2HKW8J2xH

38. January 7, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Off ALL topics, but has anyone noticed a bruise on President Obamas right cheek? At one of the press conferences prior to Christmas it looked like his right eye was a little black and the cheek bruise was really bad. I noticed today that his eye is fine now, but he’s still got that nasty bruise on his cheek. Anyone else see it? Anyone know what may have happened? I was thinking hemy have gotten hit playing basketball or something….kind of funny.

39. January 7, 2013 at 5:08 pm
  40. January 7, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Now, I have been Home all Day watching MSNBC, and they have been skewering Hagel.
    Literally, all Day!

• 180 57andfemale
      January 7, 2013 at 5:34 pm

If a Republican had picked him, they’d be singing his praises. Every, last, hypocritical one of them.

• 181 0388jojothecat
        January 7, 2013 at 8:44 pm

The teabaggery neo-cons side of the GOP who are the most vocal would still be critical…….all the sane GOP have spoken up in support…..all the rest are just cowards.

• 182 Vicki
      January 7, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Maybe Hagel threatens war profitmaking.
      And any fight means more ratings.

I have MSNBC on now and nobody has alluded to the positive support for Chuck hagel from Colin Powell and Bob Gates.
      They are more interested in showcasing Ted Cruz and Lindsay graham.

I should know better by now but still MSNBC can disappoint me.

• 183 Bill
      January 7, 2013 at 5:56 pm

MSNBC needs an issue to fill airtime. Hagel will be a shoe in. PBO does not lose battles, especially against this pathetic crew.

41. 185 Rain
    January 7, 2013 at 5:18 pm

The Press Briefing:

• 186 Ladyhawke
      January 7, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I hope everyone gets a chance to watch this briefing. My love and admiration for Jay Carney grows every time I watch the sarcastic jackals asking stupid questions and pretending to be real journalists. Jay has the patience of Job. I don’t know how he stands them. Most of the questions are about process, feelings or some he said / she said nonsense. Boehner said (fill in the blank), what’s your response?? They are just conduits for the GOP talking points. It’s pathetic.

There are about FOUR times during the briefing today where Jay makes some pointed comments about the debt limit and the responsibility of congress to pay the bills that they have incurred. He was relentlessly on message that there will be no negotiating about the debt limit. Congress racked up the bills and it is their responsibility to ensure the bills get paid. There’s nothing to negotiate. Just make sure the bills get paid.

Every Democrat that gets near a tv camera and/or microphone should be parroting exactly what Jay said today. He was making a whole lota sense. And the American people understand what it means to be a “DEADBEAT.” It is unseemly to think that an elected official would ever be so reckless. Hopefully, the transcript of the briefing will be posted soon.

• 187 Rain
        January 7, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Ladyhawke, I could not agree more. I love too that Jay made it a point to say it was Congress and the previous administration that racked up these bills, NOT PBO’s administration. I think most of the press knows that, but they know that a lot of Americans don’t know it, and so they spout off on it. I am shocked at how much ignorance I run into about PBO, and one of the main things I hear over and over is how much debt he’s racked up, when in fact…most of it came before he took office. I was delighted to see Jay remind us of that today.

• 188 carolmaewy
        January 7, 2013 at 11:54 pm

Only time I’ve seen such a dumb set of WH press corps was during the Monica Lewinski scandal. They aren’t getting any smarter. They were pretty dumb during the run up to Iraq war too. Jay just gets better.

42. 189 Ladyhawke
    January 7, 2013 at 5:23 pm

PRESS SECRETARY JAY CARNEY

Daily White House Briefing

——————————————————

Washington, DC
    Monday, January 7, 2013

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney holds a briefing at the White House. Questions from the press include the new cabinet announcements made earlier in the day, the debate on the debt ceiling and the economy and the situation in the Middle East.

———————————————————-

• 191 theo67
      January 7, 2013 at 7:38 pm

The fact that anyone should have to “defend” Chuck Hagel is disgusting. They allow a sellout and heretic like John McCain to run wild all over the TV, being called a “war hero”, and being treated with respect that he affords to nobody else – not even his fellow Republicans and/or citizens. Yet, when confronted with an actual hero, a real patriot who puts country before party – and this is true for both John Kerry and Chuck Hagel – there is a need to “defend” these people? The values of these people who occupy the public airwaves have gone seriously awry.

• 192 nathkatun7
        January 7, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Theo, in my humble opinion, the unethical U.S media, which are more interested in hype and sensationalism than they are about reporting the TRUTH to the American people, are threatening the future of our democracy. Thank God there are other sources where people can go to learn the Truth. As much as I love Jay Carney, I just couldn’t stomach more than 20 minutes of the media jackals asking snide questions that were purely predicated on GIOP talking points.

• 193 theo67
          January 7, 2013 at 11:52 pm

I can’t listen to the jackals on a daily basis, and even today, I just skipped to the end and listened to Jay’s smackdown of Mark Knoller. The media is the enemy of this country adn democracy – you got that absolutely right. They mislead, blatantly lie, distort… Really terrible.

January 7, 2013 at 5:38 pm
  44. 195 Bill R.
    January 7, 2013 at 5:41 pm

RW politicians like Portman use the tactic of accusing the adversary of doing the very thing they are doing. In this case, “picking a fight” over a nomination and issuing a challenge and talking points that are totally without merit.

• 196 yardarm756
      January 7, 2013 at 5:58 pm

But, but, but “both sides…………” ! :-(

• 197 theo67
      January 7, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Portman was proven, on several occasions, to be an absolute fool during the campaign. Several times he appeared on screen to defend Romney, only to be proven to have no clue what he was talking about, or to have any handle on the facts. He doesn’t deserve two minutes of attention, other than to point and laugh.

January 7, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Has anyone seen the 2012 version of the Corrigan Brothers “There’s No One As Irish As Barack O’Bama” song? Pretty cool.

46. January 7, 2013 at 5:49 pm

‘Don’t ask, don’t tell’ dischargees to receive full back pay from DOD
    Carlo Muñoz
    01/07/13 04:54 PM ET
    The payouts will be granted to gay service members dismissed from the military on or after November 2004.…

January 7, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Well, that’s excellent. Wonder if that was an arbitrary date or of some meaning.

January 7, 2013 at 8:42 pm

PBO got elected to the US Senate in Nov 2004. I don’t know if that’s the connection, but perhaps I might be on to something!

47. 202 lamh36
    January 7, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Alright Fashionistas, ya’ll better get on it before they are sold out.

FLOTUS DNC Convention Tracey Reese dress is now on sale!

48. January 7, 2013 at 6:04 pm

a little off topic but wanted to share hope you guys enjoy….

49. January 7, 2013 at 6:04 pm
  50. January 7, 2013 at 6:05 pm
  51. 214 lamh36
    January 7, 2013 at 6:07 pm

So um yeah, wrong link upthread…lol.

Alright Fashionistas, ya’ll better get on it before they are sold out.

FLOTUS DNC Convention Tracey Reese dress is now on sale!

52. 215 FiredUpInCA
    January 7, 2013 at 6:12 pm

You want a moderate Republican like Chuck Hagel, who has served in the battlefield, to lead this fight when it comes:

“At first the military hoped there might be as many as 20,000 U.S. troops left behind after combat operations in Afghanistan officially cease at the end of 2014. But now an administration official is saying that number will not exceed 10,000 and could be even be zero.”

53. 216 yardarm756
    January 7, 2013 at 6:25 pm

One more chuckle….

MY LIVING WILL

Last night, my friend and I were sitting in the living room

and I said to her,

“I never want to live in a vegetative state,

dependent on some machine and fluids from

a bottle. If that ever happens, just pull the plug.”

She got up, unplugged the Computer,

and threw out my wine.

She’s such a bitch……

54. January 7, 2013 at 6:33 pm

The Inauguration Forum is open, no need to register for now, just go ahead and post!

You can either click on the above link or go to http://www.aquariusmoon.info and click on the picture there for a direct link to the Forum.

55. 220 Allison
    January 7, 2013 at 6:41 pm
  56. January 7, 2013 at 6:45 pm
    • 222 a4alice
      January 7, 2013 at 7:24 pm

retweeted this. I think it says a lot that in the article : “Shortly after being nominated, Hagel said he was astounded at how his record has been distorted and asked for a fair hearing in the Senate.” No one with something to hide would ASK for a fair hearing to clear his name/record.

January 7, 2013 at 6:49 pm
  58. 224 lamh36
    January 7, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Man, if I had a franchise with Wendy’s I’d be pissed. I’m telling ya’ll if you decide to franchise with a company pay attention who you franchise with. Cause one member of the franchise can fuck it up for all the other franchisees. Now this person is gonna mess with someone else money. There has got to be rules when it comes to franchising on doing shit like this that may affect other members.

Wendy’s Franchise Cuts Employee Hours To Part-Time To Avoid Obamacare

• 225 FiredUpInCA
      January 7, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Classic case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

“Anecdotal evidence suggests this strategy may backfire on the Omaha Wendy’s operations. This fall, Denny’s quickly distanced itself from a franchisee’s similar ploy, while Darden Restaurants saw a sharp 37 percent drop in profit after threatening to cut workers to part-time.

Heaping blame on Obamacare may be a popular tactic among the fast food industry, but it is a misleading one. According to the Urban Institute, Obamacare has a negligible impact on business costs, leaving large companies virtually unaffected while actually reducing costs for small businesses.”

From Papa John’s to this Wendy’s franchise, it’s amazing to me how many of these guys are terrible at marketing, as they claim to be experts in business.

When you lose your market, you lose your business.

• 226 COS
        January 7, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Don’t forget Hobby Lobby. I shopped at that store once when I was visiting Texas. I don’t think it has locations on the west coast. It appears that all of these chains who are trying to avoid giving their employees healthcare are feeling the wrath.

• 227 0388jojothecat
        January 7, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Who eats Wendy’s anyway? These Corporatist really don’t pay attention to other Corporatist who tried this shit. The people that eat at these anti-Obamacare restaurants will be Michelle Bachman and the teabaggery.

59. January 7, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Pierce on Hagel ….

“Chuck Hagel knows what the basic job of soldiering really is and, therefore, I think, he knows what the basic job of being Secretary Of Defense is. It’s to fight for people, and not for weapons systems. It’s to care for the human beings in your charge more than the fanciful bloodless academic exercises held at a distance.

‘With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation’s wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.’

In a season when Lincoln’s Second Inaugural is the big finish of a box-office bonanza, Hagel has lived the peroration as well as anyone has.”

• 229 isonprize
      January 7, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Bobfr, don’t you just love crotchety, funny, grumpy, at times wickedly sarcastic Charles S. Pierce? He tells it like it is and doesn’t care who doesn’t like it. He has a way with words like no one else!

• 230 forus50
        January 7, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Absolutely. His style is similar to another guy I like who I wish would come back to the USA – Al Giordano.

• 231 isonprize
          January 7, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Yes, I followed Al. I actually considered attending his journalism program, but then life happened! :lol: If I understand more of the Latin American political landscape, I would follow his current stories more often. I just don’t have the time. I’m sure he’s got some thoughts on this non-sense.

• 232 forus50
            January 7, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Yeah, I don’t know how people in other countries can possibly keep up with the craziness here on top of what’s happening in their own country. And Al covers politics throughout Latin and South America – very impressive. I check his blog every once in awhile but it’s all I can do to keep up with the walnuts here. :)

January 7, 2013 at 7:10 pm
  61. January 7, 2013 at 7:13 pm
  62. 238 prettyfoot58
    January 7, 2013 at 7:51 pm
    • 239 nathkatun7
      January 8, 2013 at 12:58 am

Prettyfoot, Romeo makes a very elementary yet compelling point. Frankly, I don’t think this has anything to do with Republican opposition to paying bills incurred by the government. They’ve done that willingly in the past. This is all about destroying America and then blaming the destruction on President Obama. It seems to me that the GOP is determined to punish Americans because the majority of Americans voted to elect, and then re-elect, President Obama.

63. 240 forus50
    January 7, 2013 at 7:56 pm
  64. 246 yardarm756
    January 7, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Okay. This is my last attempt at humor before Chips flips the page.

New Mexico Chili Cookoff

If you can read this whole story without laughing, then there’s no hope for you. I was crying by the end. This is an actual account as relayed to paramedics at a chili cook-off in New Mexico .

Note: Please take time to read this slowly.

If you pay attention to the first two judges,

the reaction of the third judge is even better.

For those of you who have lived in New Mexico , you know how true this is. They actually have a Chili Cook-off about the time Halloween comes around. It takes up a major portion of a parking lot at the Santa Fe Plaza . Judge #3 was an inexperienced Chile taster named Frank, who was visiting from Springfield , IL .

Frank: Recently, I was honored to be selected as a judge at a chili cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment and I happened to be standing there at the judge’s table, asking for directions to the Coors Light truck, when the call came in. I was assured by the other two judges (Native New Mexicans) that the chili wouldn’t be all that spicy; and, besides, they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, so I accepted and became Judge #3.

Here are the scorecard notes from the event:

CHILI # 1 – MIKE’S MANIAC MONSTER CHILI

Judge # 1 — A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick.

Judge # 2 — Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.

Judge # 3 (Frank) — Holy crap, what the hell is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put the flames out. I hope that’s the worst one. These New Mexicans are crazy.

CHILI # 2 – EL RANCHO’S AFTERBURNER CHILI

Judge # 1 — Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight jalapeno tang.

Judge # 2 — Exciting BBQ flavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.

Judge # 3 — Keep this out of the reach of children. I’m not sure what I’m supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me theHeimlich maneuver. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.

CHILI # 3 – ALFREDO’S FAMOUS BURN DOWN THE BARN CHILI

Judge # 1 — Excellent firehouse chili. Great kick.

Judge # 2 — A bit salty, good use of peppers.

Judge # 3 — Call the EPA. I’ve located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now. Get me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back, now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I’m getting sh*t-faced from all of the beer.

CHILI # 4=2 0- BUBBA’S BLACK MAGIC

Judge # 1 — Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.

Judge # 2 — Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods, not much of a chili.

Judge # 3 — I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Is it possible to burn out taste buds? Sally, the beer maid, was standing behind me with fresh refills. This 300 lb. Woman is starting to look HOT … Just like this nuclear waste I’m eating! Is chili an aphrodisiac?

CHILI # 5 – LISA’S LEGAL LIP REMOVER

Judge # 1 — Meaty, strong chili. Jalapeno peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.

Judge # 2 — Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato. Must admit the jalapeno peppers make a strong statement.

Judge # 3 — My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted, and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher. I wonder if I’m burning my lips off.. It really ticks me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. Screw them.

CHILI # 6 – VARGA’S VERY VEGETARIAN VARIETY

Judge # 1 — Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spices and peppers.

Judge # 2 — The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, garlic. Superb.

Judge # 3 — My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulfuric flames. I crapped on myself when I farted, and I’m worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that Sally. Can’t feel my lips anymore. I need to wipe my butt with a snow cone.

CHILI # 7 – SUSAN’S SCREAMING SENSATION CHILI

Judge # 1 — A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.

Judge # 2 — Ho hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last moment. **I should take note that I am worried about Judge #3. He appears to be in a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably.

Judge # 3 — You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn’t feel a thing. I’ve lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili, which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava to match my shirt. At least during the autopsy, they’ll know what killed me. I’ve decided to stop breathing. It’s too painful. Screw it; I’m not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I’ll just suck it in through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.

CHILI # 8 – BIG TOM ‘S TOENAIL CURLING CHILI

Judge # 1 — The perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili. Not too bold but spicy enough to declare its existence.

Judge # 2 — This final entry is a good, balanced chili. Neither mild nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge #3 farted, passed out, fell over and pulled the chili pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he’s going to make it. Poor fella, wonder how he’d have reacted to really hot chili?

Judge # 3 — No report.

65. January 7, 2013 at 8:04 pm

My favorite quote from Chuck Hagel, ” This isn’t easy, (he was talking to his fellow senators about Iraq), if you want easy, go sell shoes”! \\

• 253 yardarm756
      January 7, 2013 at 8:30 pm

The truth hasn’t set some people free yet. Only on their death beds I’m afraid.

• 254 Lovepolitics2008
      January 7, 2013 at 8:59 pm

“If you want a safe job, go sell shoes. This is a tough business. But is it any tougher, us having to take a tough vote, express ourselves and having the courage to step up, than what we’re asking our young men and women to do? I don’t think so. [...] Like always, the american people are far ahead of us sitting here… far ahead of us. Because we’re concerned about politics, we’re concerned about our position, we’re concerned about our next election. So we thinker, so we figure out word smiting… ”

Wow, Mr. Hagel is pretty impressive in this clip. Guts, leadership, and integrity. You can see why President Obama has chosen Senator Hagel to help him fight back against the neocons and the lobbying of the defense contractors. Chuck Hagel’s first loyalty is to the troops and to his country. He’s tough and isn’t afraid of telling it like it is. Wow.

66. 255 ouapiti
    January 7, 2013 at 8:20 pm

OK, from time to time my husband (an ardent democratic and Obama supporter, I hasten to say) tunes in to FOX to see what the dark side is up to. They have just called Obama a “crazed ideologue,” Are they nuts?! The most measured, considerate and even-keeled president that I can remember in my lifetime a crazed ideologue?? Please!

• 256 majiir
      January 7, 2013 at 8:59 pm

He’s a “crazed Ideologue” to them only because he doesn’t allow them to guide his agenda. They’re really, really pissed that he ignores them and thinks for himself. They knew they could manipulate GWB and Romney. Fox needs to be careful about spreading another false meme about the president. Selling a continuous series of lies, propaganda, and conspiracy theories to its viewers is exactly why so many of them were “shocked” that PBO was re-elected on November 6, 2012. The viewers discovered too late that a majority of Americans didn’t agree with them about a host of things regarding the president. The RW bubble is toxic, filled with carbon monoxide and it is choking off any attempt by anyone to inject any reality into it.

• 258 amk for obama
      January 7, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Typical rw projection. Falsely accuse your opponent of you really are.

• 259 nathkatun7
      January 8, 2013 at 1:09 am

You know ouapiti, for FOX news: Up is Down, North is South and Hot is Cold! The people at Fox are that shameless in the way they twist the TRUTH and manipulate the viewers! What is sad is that there are many Americans who buy into their BS!

67. January 7, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Senator Cornyn already says he is voicing Brenan, because he wants answers on Benghazi.
    Jeeze!

January 7, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Cornyn is another one of those crazy ass Republicans.

• 263 Lovepolitics2008
        January 7, 2013 at 9:02 pm

I think all of this is much more about partisan politics. They’re pissed after the tax deal and they want to hurt the administration as much as they can.

January 7, 2013 at 9:14 pm

These crazy ass white Republicans can’t stand this President.

January 8, 2013 at 6:38 am

I hope you all understand when I say something like those crazy ass white Republicans, that I’m not being racists. I don’t hate white people. I know all white people are not the same, and I even know all Republicans are not racists. But I look at the disrespect, the out and out hate they have shown this President, and I know it’s not because they disagree with all his policies.

68. 266 99ts
    January 7, 2013 at 8:52 pm

This was a comment on a news item about a GOPer attacking Gabby Giffords because going to Connecticut was a “political event”.
    “Gabby is no longer in politics, her career was ended with a bullet in the head.”

Gives a whole new meaning to Boehner’s statement
    ” I need this job like I need a hole in the head”

Boehner should well remember what happened to Gabby and be thankful that his political opponents are not known for taking what he says literally.

• 267 majiir
      January 7, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Never mind that she was in FL at the time, 99ts. She couldn’t stop herself from stirring sh*t up. I loved the comments in support of GG. That the representative would call GG’s visit to Newtown “political” shows that she was the one making the visit political. GG is no longer a politician but that didn’t stop the representative from attempting to sell fake outrage to the uninformed. Removing her posts from her Facebook page lets you know that she didn’t like the backlash she received from her stupid posts.

January 7, 2013 at 8:57 pm
  70. 269 Maubyandice
    January 7, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Ok guys, there’s a seriously crazy man on Piers Morgan. I mean downright scary.

• 270 0388jojothecat
      January 7, 2013 at 9:19 pm

This guy is crazy….they want to deport Piers Morgan. Why did he have this crazy man on his show and he won’t answer questions and talks over Piers….hahahaha. You can have a conversation with crazed gun lovers.

• 271 majiir
        January 7, 2013 at 9:38 pm

I think in a way, jojo, having this nutcase on might work in our favor on banning assault weapons, especially if there are sane Americans watching him throw conspiracy theories around that don’t make sense. When someone begins talking about the ‘New World Order,’ you know that their elevator doesn’t go all the way up to the penthouse because it’s stuck in the basement.

71. 273 lisalovesobama
    January 7, 2013 at 9:11 pm

The Cow is such a fucking bitch. She started out by saying that the Whitehouse didn’t stick up for Susan R. in the face of loud Repuke bullshit, and “allowed” her to take her name out of the running, she said this after highlighting the long and enduring relationship between Rice and PBO. Like: ‘ look, the president and Rice have been close friends forever and when things got tough for her, he bailed and didn’t stand up for her.’ ((PARAPHRASE)) Such a fucking asshole. CLICK, bitch. Motherf-ing CLICK.

72. 274 anniebella
    January 7, 2013 at 9:12 pm

What is Rachel Maddow ranting about tonight?

• 275 lisalovesobama
      January 7, 2013 at 9:16 pm

See above comment. She’s such a fucking idiot. I decided to not waste my time. I’m watching the pilot episode of ‘Person of Interest’ on series-cravings.info

• 276 majiir
        January 7, 2013 at 9:34 pm

After she accused the president of not advocating enough for gay Americans, and when she felt that PBO should have been more vocal when NY was voting for gay marriage, I was finished with her, Lisa. All the president has to do to set out a firestorm from the RW is say one word on any subject. I figured that I could live without her allowing her personal biases about her sexual orientation to let her avoid facing the truth that PBO has done more for LGBTQ Americans than any president in our history. PBO chooses his battles carefully. He knew that going head to head with republicans over Amb. Rice would be pointless because they have way more time than he does to run to every network to lie about her. He stated his support for her, what else did RM want him to do? It’s not as if he doesn’t have many other duties and responsibilities he has to attend to.

January 7, 2013 at 9:19 pm

There are times when I can not stand her. I think I will check out the NCAA Championship football game.

• 279 No Child Left Behind
        January 7, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Anniebella,

Good evening. May I echo your comment? Though I left Rachel continue her self-stimulating exercise about the 4th GOP hired by a Democratic President, I know she will move to an issue that will provide common grounds. But, as many people remark here, some of those pundits at MSNBC can be so judgemental and at times childish. With friends like that, why be upset at Lieberman? He personifies them in the Senate!

• 280 majiir
          January 7, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Some people will never understand the way PBO does things. He’s not looking at political party when he chooses nominees, he’s looking at competency. If people would only look at the mess GWB made of the federal government because of his choosing to work only with those with Rs beside their names, they’d stop attacking the president for choosing some republicans for his cabinet. GWB f*cked up the DOJ, the Labor Dept, the EPA, the Defense Dept, the Supreme Court, the Commerce Dept. the Dept of Education, etc. with his overemphasis on filling positions with republicans.

• January 7, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Presumably and predictably, She is mad about the Gay comment, and MSNBC just plays that until Madcow jumps over the Moon.

• 283 cos
        January 7, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Rachel has to remember that everyone does not agree with her on certain issues. Everytime someone says something anti-gay, she uses her show to denograte the person.

• 284 cos
      January 7, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Fortunately, PBO is not listening to these far left whiners this time. Thank God that Rachel is talking to the moon.

73. 285 vitaminlover
    January 7, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Just saw a guy losing his cool in a major way on piers morgan about 3 minutes ago. It’s about him thinking that he is losing his gun rights.

• 286 Maubyandice
      January 7, 2013 at 9:21 pm

He is insane. Twitter is noticing.

• 293 Joy
      January 7, 2013 at 9:30 pm

He has over 50 guns in his house. This kind of nutter scares the crap out of me. :-(

• 294 vitaminlover
        January 7, 2013 at 9:58 pm

No need for all of that. I can see one for hunting and/or one for protection but when a person possesses an arsenal of machine guns and ak47’s or whatever they are I am gonna give you the side eye because I am thnking is this person going to massacre a bunch of squirrels? I think NOT!

• 295 Joy
          January 7, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Exactly! Totally agree. Why the hell do people have to own this amount of guns. It’s pure craziness. He also stated that he thought 9/11 was an inside job by the govt. therefore this is why people should be able to own any kind of firearms. Makes me wonder if he isn’t a part of a militia group.

74. 297 0388jojothecat
    January 7, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Is there a FULL MOON tonight? I hope Lawrence O’Donnell is not acting crazy or I’ll have to watch HGTV.

75. 301 Joy
    January 7, 2013 at 9:24 pm

OMG!!!!!!
    Anyone watching Piers Morgan, he has a gun toting total nutcase on his show. Unfriggggen believable!

• 302 Maubyandice
      January 7, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Clearly he’s on some sort of medication? That he forgot to take? It’s the only explanation I have to hearing shouting about suicide pills, Hitler and Building 7. All in the name of the 2nd Amendment.

• 303 Joy
        January 7, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Agree, sounds like he isn’t taking his meds that the doctor prescribed for him. It’s too bad that they couldn’t take him away in a straight jacket straight to the looney bin locked up in a padded cell.

• 304 Nena20409
      January 7, 2013 at 9:43 pm

And Piers Morgan wants people like me to take him seriously? Why is Morgan having this person on TV? I don’t watch Morgan….but just reading what are being said here. Morgan is against our Nation’s obsession with guns. I get that I share his concern. But what is the rationale of this guy……gun-nut appearing on CNN?

January 7, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Piers wants ratings and he’s desperate. I don’t buy it. It’s all theatrics (gun nut prop and all).

• 306 Joy
          January 7, 2013 at 10:05 pm

hopefruit..I’m not a big fan of Piers but I truly think that Sandyhook upset him personally and he wants to talk about the subject and not let it go away, which I commend him for. His govt. had something similar happen in England and both parties there came together and changed gun laws there. They have a very low rate of gun deaths because of that now.

January 7, 2013 at 10:34 pm

I really hope you’re right Joy, because I’m having difficulty with Piers especially after he harbored trigger-happy George Zimmerman and family and gave them a platform on his show to justify their killing of an innocent child.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but he didn’t seem to have a problem with gun laws or guns ending up in the wrong hands then…

• 308 Joy
        January 7, 2013 at 9:59 pm

I am a little confused myself as to why he had him on his show. But as the guy that came on after him said(forgot his name, a lawyer) that it is good that Piers is exposing this kind of craziness so that Americans can see just how totally dangerous some of these people are. I tend to agree with him. Maybe this exposure will wake up more Americans to help in the fight to legislate some kind of gun control.

76. January 7, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Amk, this is for you:

Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him…..

A super calloused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

77. 314 Pamela
    January 7, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Maybe a freak like this, losing it on that network, will twig some sense into the other gun freaks who are watching?

January 7, 2013 at 10:41 pm

I didn’t see it, but my only question would be – if the guy was on the set – did anybody check him for a gun and take it away from him real time? Sounds like he doesn’t need to be walking among us, much less with a gun. (Like so many others, tragically.)

January 7, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Rachel is in a snide mood this evening I see. Now she’s going on about the inaugural ticket glitch.

79. 318 vitaminlover
    January 7, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Oh! Well I won’t be watching lawrence’s show he has Mr klein filling in for him. Boy oh boy.

80. January 7, 2013 at 10:05 pm
  81. January 7, 2013 at 10:09 pm
  82. January 7, 2013 at 10:12 pm
  83. 326 anniebella
    January 7, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Do you see who is sitting in place of Lawrence O’Donnell tonight? Ezra Klein. I will not be watching it. Alabama is leading Notre Dame 28-0, I guess the football game is not worth watching.

• 327 vitaminlover
      January 7, 2013 at 10:15 pm

ROLL TIDE!!

• 328 carolyn
        January 7, 2013 at 11:17 pm

I went to Netflix and watched an episode of Doc Martin during Rachel’s show, then an episode of Edward the King when I heard Ezra’s voice. These people on these shows just rework and rework tne same subjects…..they need to use some creativity on shows.

• 329 susanne
          January 8, 2013 at 12:01 am

love doc martin! and thanks everybody for alerting me to avoid rachel and lawrence tonight. maybe i’ll read a book.

January 8, 2013 at 6:26 am

Yes they roll all over Notre Dame. What a sorry game for those who were looking for a close good exciting game.

84. January 7, 2013 at 10:16 pm
    • January 7, 2013 at 10:19 pm

We’ve known since Jan 2009 – now you’re either brain dead or paid to pretend your brain dead (US #NEWSTAINERS, etc) to not realize it as fact certain.

#FORWARD

85. 333 lamh36
    January 7, 2013 at 10:17 pm

See, now this is what I was talking about the other day.

Patrick Aide Says Frank Not Best Choice For Senate Appointment, Frank Disagrees

I suspect that Frank was never Patrick’s first choice and probably wasn’t even on his list (I’m guessing he’s been compiling a list since Obama won re-election or before besides the Susan Rice stuff, the CW was the Kerry would be SoS after HRC). So the “push” by Frank and now his liberal allies are such that now the Guv can’t even go with his first choice which probably wasn’t Barney Frank to begin with. Now whover Patrick picks, unless it is Frank, which pale in comparison.

The aide should just shut it, but still I understand the frustration for Guv Patrick’s camp.

• 334 No Child Left Behind
      January 7, 2013 at 10:35 pm

lamh36,

I thought Barney Frank wanted to return to civilian life and live the blist of domestic routine forever. Wasn’t it for that reason he resigned his House seat? What’s this new desire of going to the Senate on a temporary basis? Although I would not mind having Frank as a strong voice in the Senate, it is I believe Gov. Deval’s decision to pick up whomever he wants to secure that seat for the Democrats.

Oh well!

January 7, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Maybe Gov. Patrick was thinking about giving a few months’ exposure on the national scene in this important role to a woman or an ethnic minority candidate. I understand LGBT candidates are also in the minority, and I’m all for that, but it really was not good that Barney Frank put the Governor in this spot. It kind of cheated Patrick out of making his own choice, which I would have liked to have seen – to give us all an even better understanding of how Gov. Patrick operates, because ya know he’s goin’ places in the future, as well! If Barney was his first choice, or is his final choice, then none of this matters, of course.

• January 7, 2013 at 10:42 pm

And if it is Viki Kennedy, Then everybody will forget who barney Frank is.

• January 7, 2013 at 10:47 pm

I have ZERO doubt that Gov Patrick will pick precisely who he considers his first choice. Anyone who thinks he and the President didn’t include in their calculus a ‘Barney variable’ only display the typical naivete of the politically naive :)

January 7, 2013 at 11:11 pm

President Obama epitomizes political savvy, and then some, and add ten more steps ahead of the rest of us to that, but unless Barney Frank gave somebody an indication of what he was planning on announcing as his goal, his actions were so quirky and “stayed-too-long-at-the-party-ish,” it could have been news to even Pres. Obama and Gov. Patrick. I don’t recall the timing, and I’m hoping he at least confided in Gov. Patrick before announcing it to the media. (That would lead to more questions of his judgment.) In any event, it didn’t show well for Barney, but Gov. Patrick will do the right thing (especially since he and the President confide in each other and, as you said, would have discussed all this).

86. January 7, 2013 at 10:25 pm

But but but according to Glen Greenwald and Chris Hayes Al Qaeda are innocent civilians and…

87. 340 vitaminlover
    January 7, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Our Beloved President is soooooo precise and logical!

88. January 7, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Then do it!

89. 342 Lorraine
    January 7, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Be still my beating heart……Chuck Hagel and Richard Wolfeeeeeee on my screen.