Jan

‘Hang tough on guns, Dems. It’s gonna get ugly’

Vice President Joe Biden listens to Annette Nance-Holt as she holds a photo of her son Blair, who was shot and killed while riding a bus from school in 2007, during a meeting in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building in Washington, D.C., Jan. 9, 2013. The Vice President, along with Attorney General Eric Holder, met with representatives of victims’ groups and gun safety organizations as part of the Administration’s effort to develop policy proposals in response to the tragedy in Newtown, Conn. Colin Goddard, who was shot four times at Virginia Tech in 2007, is seated second from left. (Official White House Photo by David Lienemann)

Greg Sargent: … While it’s true that the NRA’s influence is often overstated, it’s also true that the NRA has a long history of skillfully mobilizing extreme constituent pressure on individual members of Congress at a moment’s notice, and making their lives pretty hellish in the process.

So what we very well may see here is something akin to rerun of the 2009 health care town hall wars, only about guns — perhaps an even more emotional issue. So groups like the new one started by Gabrielle Giffords won’t be important just in trying to match the NRA’s donations to Congress; they’ll also be critical in determining whether Congressional Dems will be given support and reinforcements when the NRA-fomented pressure starts in earnest.

…. All, in all, an epic battle lies ahead. Dems will need a lot of smarts, a lot of backbone, and a lot of outside support.

Full post here

CNN: President Barack Obama is exploring executive orders to help prevent mass shootings in America, Vice President Joe Biden said Wednesday.

“The president is going to act. Executive orders, executive action, can be taken,” Biden told reporters before meetings with groups representing survivors of mass shootings. “We haven’t decided what this is yet, but we’re compiling it all with the help of the attorney general and all the rest of the Cabinet members.”

Legislative action also is needed, Biden said. “I’m convinced we can affect the well-being of millions of Americans, and take thousands of people out of harm’s way, if we act responsibly,” he said.

More here

Link

Hiya everyone, more news in the morning.

375 Responses to “‘Hang tough on guns, Dems. It’s gonna get ugly’”

1. January 9, 2013 at 7:16 pm

This is a fight that must be had. We need better gun control laws.

2. 5 yardarm756
    January 9, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Congrats Mariele.

3. January 9, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Maybe if we all start demanding rocket launchers, land mines, and nuclear tanks, so some of these people will understand there must be a line drawn somwhere.

• January 9, 2013 at 7:23 pm

One of the better ideas I’ve heard so far! Hiya Tally.

• January 9, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Hey girl! Thanks. :D fuck me, I’m still too tired to spell!!! ACK! Someday wordpress will add an EDIT button. :mad:

• January 9, 2013 at 7:28 pm

:-) How are ya doing, anywhere near full health again???

• January 9, 2013 at 11:19 pm

working on it. Feel LOTS better than I did, but no where near 100%. Whatever this is, it’s horrid. At least I’m not sick when it’s hot outside, so I don’t feel too gross, and it’s nice cuddling with kittehs by a fire and sleeping. But I’m getting there. I rarely get sick, so I don’t do it well. :D

January 9, 2013 at 7:33 pm

I agree with you Tally 100%. Maybe I should be shouting “How dare the Government try to take away my right to own a rocket launcher”? It’s my right.

• 12 utaustinliberal
      January 9, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Exactly.

• 13 nathkatun7
      January 9, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Well said Tally! If the fear by these gun nuts is government tyranny then why stop at assault weapons? The government already possesses much more lethal power and I doubt a would be tyrant, at the head of the government, would be intimidated by a bunch of wannabe gun nuts revolutionaries brandishing assault weapons. This notion that allowing individual citizens to stockpile assault weapons is a deterrent against federal government tyranny is not only absurd, but it’s also laughable. If the gun nuts don’t think so they should ask the Al Qaida terrorists! All the supposedly tyrant President has to do is order a drone strike against these pretend revolutionaries.

In 1787, the United States had no professional military charged with the protecting the Country. The country still relied on the citizen soldiers. I strongly believe that this what the 2nd Amendment was all about. Notice that “the right of the people to keep and bear arms” is predicated on the notion of “A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state.”

• January 9, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Precisely. WELL REGULATED MILITIA – they all completely IGNORE that part.

• 15 nathkatun7
          January 10, 2013 at 1:35 am

Yes they do Tally! It seems that some of our esteemed jurists also decided to have blinders on. For the people who have not had the time to check out the 2nd Amendment, ratified in 1791, two years after George Washington was inaugurated as the first President, here is the entire text of it:

” A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bare arms,
          shall not be infringed.”

That’s it! The entire text of the 2nd Amendment, which, we are told by gun nuts is the bedrock of our liberties that would require sacrificing so many innocent people. Any one with any rudimentary knowledge of history of this period knows fully well that few ordinary citizens kept guns. Most guns and gunpowder were stored at specific armories and issued to the militia whenever there was a threat of domestic insurrections, such as slave revolts. In other words, It was understood that “the right of the people to keep and bare arms” had to be regulated under the structure of the militia. There is also ample documented evidence that even in the wild wild waste, towns and communities, sometimes passed ordinances requiring people not to carry guns in public, and especially in the volatile saloons. This notion that the government should do absolutely nothing by way of regulating guns is purely an invention of the late 20th century NRA and the gun manufacturers.

• 16 nathkatun7
            January 10, 2013 at 2:50 am

Some times the English language, plus my computer which insists on reading my mind about which word I am looking for, play tricks on me! I meant to write “the Wild, Wild West’ and not the ” Wild, Wild waste.” My apologies to the proud members of the “Wild West!”

• January 10, 2013 at 2:26 pm

DING DING DING! And who in the media will be the first to GROW A VAGINA and speak this truth??

4. 18 99ts
    January 9, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Congrats Mariele – hello yardarm

The faces of everyone in the top picture tell the whole story – how can you not act when the children are the ones being killed.

January 9, 2013 at 7:23 pm

That you, Ms Chips?

6. 23 Smoothscotch
    January 9, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Hi, everyone ok I trust.

January 9, 2013 at 7:26 pm

• January 9, 2013 at 7:31 pm

That’s all he and his other half deserved today Hopefruit, ridicule. Fools.

January 9, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Wonder how many effin’ women Ezra Klein has hired or promoted in his dismal teenage lifetime? Given a hand up to? Opened a car door for? Written a letter of reference on behalf of? (Trying to end as many sentences I can with a preposition, just to spite Ezra, ’cause I’m a woman who’d work gratis for PBO, and I can’t take much more of this false equivalency craziness.)

• January 9, 2013 at 8:10 pm

So true Jacqueline, the guy made a complete and utter dick of himself today. I almost felt embarrassed for him.

January 9, 2013 at 8:13 pm

He’s hit the Peter Principle, and we’re still forced to watch it happen. Oh, well, tomorrow’s another day for somebody else to make a dick out of himself! We could just laugh, if it weren’t all so irritating. Gimme an Inaugural parade to watch, instead! :)

• January 9, 2013 at 9:22 pm

8. 34 Betsy
    January 9, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Hey everyone. Very tired. It has been a busy week so far just trying to adjust to my students’ “enthusiasm” at being back at school. All those voices :(

• 35 CEB
      January 9, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Hi Betsy,

I am another worn out teacher. I returned to final exams and students who do not seem to understand that not doing the assignments = failure. We had to stay at school until 5:00 pm today for meetings that were a waste of time. I am already looking forward to a day off.

January 9, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Not doing the assignment has little to do with their failure, CEB. Don’t you know if students fail, ‘you failed them’. In my experience they seem to genuinely believe that. :???:

• 38 Betsy
        January 9, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Totally understand. We will have to prop each other up Ceb!

January 9, 2013 at 9:06 pm

{{Betsy}} } Giving you both a half a shoulder to help out with the propping. :grin:

• January 9, 2013 at 9:23 pm

I need some propping too. I’m dealing with second graders who appear to have never come across the idea of school before. Color me exhausted.

January 9, 2013 at 10:12 pm

There! There, Maryl! Here’s another half shoulder that is free – {{Maryl}}

• January 9, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Whew, thanks, vc! That feels good :) A girl needs a little propping now and then. Hey Betsy, and CEB, I’ve got a quarter shoulder for each of you too.

• 44 Betsy
            January 9, 2013 at 10:22 pm

You elementary teachers are the real heroes. I could never teach these little ones every day, all day, most of the year. You go girl!!!

• January 9, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Haha! Thanks! I do a Camp Invention summer camp every year, with kids from 1st through 6th grades. The first year all the other teachers were 5th grade on up. They spent the whole lunch hour talking about the 1st and 2nd graders. “They can’t sit still!” “They keep saying my name!”, “They keep poking me!” I just laughed.

• 47 HZ
                  January 9, 2013 at 11:54 pm

Betsy and CEB, I will give you my shoulders also. I was there for thirty-six long and hard working years; so remember to work while on the site, but remember your home is your haven to fill your cups up with the warmth of relaxation, lots of laughter with family and friends, and lots of pampering. Renew your spirits to meet those students the next time.

(((((((((((((((((((( You have my shoulders also))))))))))))))))))))) Thanks for caring so much for what you are doing for these students. I appreciate all of your hard work. HZ

9. January 9, 2013 at 7:27 pm

The White House on Wednesday declined to rule out minting a “platinum coin” to avoid default if Congress fails to raise the debt ceiling.

Press secretary Jay Carney on Wednesday said there is “no substitute” for Congress raising the borrowing limit but declined to explicitly rule out issuing new currency to pay the government’s debts.

“The option here is for Congress to do its job and pay the bill,” Carney said. “There is no Plan B, there is no backup plan. There is Congress’s responsibility.”

A loophole in federal law — originally designed to allow for the manufacture of collectable coins — appears to give the Treasury secretary unchecked ability to mint platinum coins of any denomination. Treasury could hypothetically mint a $1 trillion coin, deposit it at the Federal Reserve and continue paying bills even if the $16.4 trillion debt ceiling is reached in a few weeks — and all without congressional approval.

The idea is getting attention from Democrats who argue President Obama should not negotiate spending cuts with Republicans in return for an increase in the debt ceiling.

Sounds good!

• 50 theo67
      January 9, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Why are Democrats arguing with President Obama not to negotiate over the debt ceiling when President Obama has reiterated that he will not negotiate over the debt ceiling? Have they not been paying attention? Whatever media time they get should be spent uttering and shaming the names of the Republicans who are flirting with holding the debt ceiling hostage, and they shouldn’t waste a second uttering the name of President Obama on this topic.

• January 9, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Why do they think there shouldn’t be any spending cuts? When PBO says ‘balanced’, he means ‘balanced’, and I think balanced is a good thing.

• 52 theo67
          January 9, 2013 at 10:23 pm

It’s because the only spending cuts that the left can think of are the ones that the Republicans have offered. They can’t think for themselves and push for spending cuts that include oil subsidies, tax expenditures that provide more cover for the rich to keep more money hidden in foreign accounts, etc. And yet, the only reason I know about these other cuts is because I’ve actually listened to the President talk about them on more than one occasion as the path he’d like to take.

• 55 yardarm756
        January 9, 2013 at 10:53 pm

The “boy” needs guidance dontcha know? :-(

• January 9, 2013 at 7:57 pm

I didn’t really get that impression watching Jay at the daily press briefing but the jackals are interpreting it that way so they have their daily dose of drama. Jay kept insisting that Congress has to meet their obligation to raise the debt ceiling. Period.

10. January 9, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Ugh, poor VP Biden … some of the names on the list :roll:

Full list of participants on Biden’s conference calls:

Participants on today’s call with governors include:
    · Governor Jan Brewer (R-Arizona)
    · Governor Phil Bryant (R-Mississippi)
    · Governor Lincoln Chafee (I-Rhode Island)
    · Governor Mark Dayton (D-Minnesota)
    · Governor Gary Herbert (R-Utah)
    · Governor John Hickenlooper (D-Colorado)
    · Governor John Kasich (R-Ohio)
    · Governor Dannel Malloy (D-Connecticut)
    · Governor Jack Markell (D-Delaware)
    · Governor Jay Nixon (D-Missouri)
    · Governor Martin O’Malley (D-Maryland)
    · Governor Sean Parnell (R-Alaska)
    · Governor Peter Shumlin (D-Vermont)
    · Governor Rick Snyder (R-Michigan)
    · Governor Scott Walker (R-Wisconsin)

• 63 theo67
      January 9, 2013 at 7:45 pm

VP Biden deserves a medal.

January 9, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Yeah, The Barack Obama Buddy Award! He has been more than a Vice President; he’s been a best friend. A guy that will step in and talk to crazy state governors for ya!

• 67 theo67
          January 9, 2013 at 10:21 pm

I’m so glad that President Obama has had Vice President Biden by his side, especially with all the critical crises they’ve had to face. I can’t imagine any of the other guys that were in the running having been quite as loyal. Most of them would have been fighting him every step of the way because they wanted to preserve their option to be President in 2016, and wouldn’t have wanted to tackle any of the courageous and difficult fights that the President and Vice President have tackled. That includes Hillary, who was also floated as VP by many. The President needed someone who was there to do the job that was required on the spot, not just setting him/her self up for a future job.

I hate to put these two cretins in the same post, but it’s related. I think that Romney would have had a very tough time with Paul Ryan as his VP, because Ryan already saw himself as the one who should be president – earned or not. It’s pretty much guaranteed that the tea party and Paul Ryan would have been a thorn in Romney’s side, if he decided he wanted to do more than just make more money by providing more loopholes and killing more regulations.

January 9, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Oh, you are so right on all counts, theo67, from my perspective. Lyin’ Ryan couldn’t even hide his contempt for Romney during the campaign. Thank God Americans came to their senses at the voting booths in 2012, and re-elected Pres. Obama and Vice President Biden, eh?

• 69 theo67
              January 9, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Thank God for that! I tell you, I spent some sleepless nights at the prospect of it going the other way through crookery and conniving.

• 70 utaustinliberal
        January 9, 2013 at 9:50 pm

He’s friggin fantastic!

• 71 nathkatun7
        January 9, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Yes Indeed! That’s why for me he will be my number one choice if he decides to run for President in 2016!

January 9, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Hopefully, that was a one-way “conference” call, with all of the Governors’ doing a lot of listening.

• 75 jackiegrumbacher
      January 9, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Well almost half of them are Dems with one Independent in Chafee, so there will be a few on his side. Biden will handle the others with finesse and firmness because that’s how he rolls and I’ll bet each of them leaves the meeting with a smile from Biden and the thought that they he/she did a great job. PBO couldn’t have assigned this gargantuan undertaking to a better person.

• 76 Dudette
      January 9, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Best Vice President EVAH!

11. 78 Smoothscotch
    January 9, 2013 at 7:30 pm

With is wrong with Klein?, everyone having a freak out about a picture with white men. Forget everything else. I want Klein, the Econ guy, ALL the pundits to run for office and win, then try to do all that shit they’re always “advising” PBO to do. I double dare them.

• 79 theo67
      January 9, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Maybe someone should tell Klein that President Obama knows all about diversity, because when his portrait is put next to the portraits of all of his predecessors, there are no female legs visible in those photos, and President Obama seems to stand out from the others for some reason. Same reason he probably stood out from the other Senators when he was a member of that “august” body.

12. 80 dotster3
    January 9, 2013 at 7:32 pm

I have no doubt it will get very ugly. But this is it. The time has come. It’s long past due. And it may be the most important issue of our time. Everyone needs to give their all and be supportive in every possible way. All hands on deck. We cannot continue on this present course. Gun violence is out of control in this country. It’s time for change, to at least begin to make a dent in all the daily gun deaths. We need to join the rest of the civilized world in enacting new common sense gun legislation.

13. 82 vitaminlover
    January 9, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Am laughing at jack Lew’s signature. That’s what will be on our paper money lol!

14. January 9, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Busy as HELL today. We had a power outage that took 90 minutes to be fixed. And it’s just been raining cats and dogs at the library. But, had enough time to open up my wallet.

15. 93 CEB
    January 9, 2013 at 7:36 pm

It is an ugly issue, so of course the fight will be ugly. Trying to move this nation to be more perfect has always been an ugly mess, but worthwhile. Our team is ready for the fight and so must we.

16. January 9, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Just popping in to let those of you in the DC area know that for comparable weekend weather on the west coast, you’d have to travel to Cabo (I’m in SoCal, where it’s chilly and rain is forecast for tomorrow, which I love.)

“Forecast map for this Saturday shows intense cold in midwest (below zero) with 60s+ in NYC. (ooooh… prettttyyyyy….) pic.twitter.com/3CMaSZRW” If tweet doesn’t appear in a white box, click on the link to see the map.

17. January 9, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Wow, coincidentally, Colin Goddard started following me this week and I followed back. I knew he was a gun control advocate but didn’t know he was a victim of Virginia Tech shooting. Wow. Thanks, Chips.

Here’s his twitter name if you want to follow and support his efforts:

@clgoddard

18. 100 theo67
    January 9, 2013 at 7:48 pm

That last cartoon should also mention that the 2nd Amendment called for a well-regulated militia, because there wasn’t supposed to be a standing army. If the 2nd Amendment enthusiasts were really sticking to the “spirit” of the Amendment, they’d join the military – or better yet – disband the military, and just take the responsibility of protecting the country from foreign and domestic threats by their cowardly selves.

And their refusal to read the “well-regulated” part makes me crazy.

19. January 9, 2013 at 7:51 pm

When I search my mind and my heart and my soul, I cannot – cannot – for the life of me understand how things got so out of control in this country. Where owning military weapons is considered just fine and dandy and if people get killed, well, so be it. This is absolutely INSANE and we MUST find a way to stop it.

• 102 Bill R.
      January 9, 2013 at 8:02 pm

And in reviewing our recent history it was GWB who reversed his father’s ban on assault weapons in 2004. The post 9/11 period was one where the GOP RW went crazy and had power to make it so. GWB also appointed the conservative judges to overturn gun laws.

• January 9, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Add in the ubiquity of hate radio and easy access to assault weapons – WalMart, for heaven’s sakes – with no accountability and it’s TOXIC.

• 104 0388jojothecat
        January 9, 2013 at 8:11 pm

I believe it was Bill Clinton who did the ten year ban on assault weapons but it was GWB who let it lapse. Since then the election of PBO and hate pundits whipping the crazies up into a frenzy about PBO wanting to take away his guns and blaming him for the bullet shortage when the crazies were buying and hoarding bullets.

20. 105 anniebella
    January 9, 2013 at 7:57 pm

So FLOTUS call Michael Baisden Request Line to request a song for her honey ( President Obama ). Oh that was so sweet. And I bet when POTUS heard about it it lifted up his day. Her request song was Unforgettable by Nat King Cole.I went right to Youtube and listen to the song.

21. January 9, 2013 at 8:06 pm

“I grew up in this hunting culture, but this is nuts,” Clinton says. “Why does anybody need a 30-round clip for a gun?” Half of all deaths have occurred since the assault weapons ban expired. Clinton using the lobby at Computer Electronic Show in Vegas to talk about guns http://live.cnet.com/Event/Samsungs_Stephen_Woo_talks_at_CES_2013?Page=5

January 9, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Maybe they’ll secede from the union, and take that nutjob sheriff with ‘em!

January 9, 2013 at 8:38 pm

except that I LIVE in this stupid ass state! I could just crawl out of my skin!

January 9, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Eek! Sorry. I meant the county, but – in any event – we don’t want to lose you and the other normal people who live there! He’s got to go … hopefully to a jail in the desert, where he can wear pink pajamas.

• 140 theo67
          January 9, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Stephanie Miller’s always promising to airlift the decent, sane people out of Austin, Texas in the case of them finally seceding. Maybe she’ll swing by Arizona and pick you and a few friends up, too. In the meantime – you have my sympathies. :?

• January 9, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I am a Posse magnet.
      Get it?

22. January 9, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Jay Carney on fire again today:

Responding to a question from NBC’s Chuck Todd about whether the picture “embarrassed” President Obama, press secretary Jay Carney
    immediately listed the names of women in the administration. “Two of the three deputy chiefs of staff are women,” Carney said. “The White
    House counsel is a woman. A woman runs homeland security for this country, Secretary Napolitano.”He also named Kathleen Sebelius,
    secretary of Health and Human Services, who he described as the “cabinet secretary in charge of the most important piece of domestic policy
    legislation in a generation.”Neither Napolitano nor Sebelius would have been in the picture that spurred Wednesday’s discussion, as their
    departments do not deal with fiscal issues.“Including Valerie Jarrett, women serve in key policy roles here within the White House, as they do throughout the administration,” Carney said. He listed yet more women: Cecilia Munoz , Director of Domestic Policy, Tina Tchen, chief of staff to Michelle Obama, White House personnel director Nancy Hogan.“This president is committed to diversity,” he continued. “Look at the record.”He continued to list more women, repeating Janet Napolitano’s name. He also named Susan Rice, U.S. ambassador to the United Nations who had been in the running for the secretary of state position until she pulled her name following months of controversy about comments she made about the Benghazi attacks. Concluding, Carney said: “This president has made two appointments to the Supreme Court, both of them women.”

January 9, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Lord have mercy, please give Mr. Carney the strength, the wisdom to deal with these lowlife bastards he has to deal with everyday.

• 144 Smoothscotch
        January 9, 2013 at 9:06 pm

I would want to throw my shoes at them.

January 9, 2013 at 9:17 pm

I would want to get the biggest S.S. guy and have him throw every single one of them out of the building.

• 146 theo67
        January 9, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Amen, anniebella. Amen! This role of Press Secretary should come with a one year stay on an exotic island at the conclusion of the tenure. Nobody should have to go through this kind of torture on a daily basis. It’s cruel and unusual punishment! What was his crime?

January 10, 2013 at 12:00 am

You know when FLOTUS have the little kids over and they ask her questions, I say to myself that those kids ask better questions than those arrogant airhead WHC.

• January 9, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Jay is a saint. A freakin’ brilliant saint.

January 9, 2013 at 9:55 pm

He is, and I personally resent the fact that he had to dignify their stupid allegation with an answer. The MSM approaching the issue this way is IMO insulting and puerile. How simpleminded of them all to perpetuate the myth that measuring the diversity in the administration can be done by counting at each and every moment, and making sure that there is at least 3/5 of a woman present at all times! I guess they feel the President should label his binder full of women to clarify things for them. It’s just so unbelievably stupid the fact that it has gone on all day boggles my mind.

• 153 cman
      January 9, 2013 at 10:03 pm

I LOVE JAY-man.

• 154 utaustinliberal
      January 9, 2013 at 10:26 pm

It’s a 2nd term and Jay Carney is done taking BS from the infantile press corps.

• 155 TrumpDog
      January 9, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Chuck should have known all this already.

sigh. Who am I kidding. Chuck doesn’t give a damn about facts; his main interest is spreading gossip and GOP talking points. He’s fucking worthless.

• 156 nathkatun7
      January 9, 2013 at 11:27 pm

If I were Jay Carney, I would have answered Chuck Todd by asking him if were embarrassed by asking such a stupid question. If Chuck Todd, a supposedly major WH reporter, is not aware of all the women President Obama has appointed to office then he does not deserve to be a supposedly leading member of the “elite” WH press corp. Chuck Todd is a total imbecile! Of all the monumental problems facing this country, the only question he thinks is the most important to ask the President’s Press Secretary is about a picture, manipulated by his fellow media people, aimed at casting the president in a negative light so as to inflame American women? Absolutely pathetic!

• 158 CEB
      January 10, 2013 at 12:46 am

Chuck the Toad knew this when he asked the question. He is a spiteful shit stirrer.

23. 159 anniebella
    January 9, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Listen to Chris Matthews speak on one of those MSNBC ads, I hear Matthews talk about what the President have to do about gun violence. My question is why is it all up to the President? Chris Matthews has a platform, he comes on tv twice a day what is he doing? It will take everyone, politicians, and yes the media too. So my question is what is Chris Matthews doing? He can agree to do a segment about gun violence on his show from now on. So that it won’t be forgotten, it won’t be push to the back burner by the media. And he can get some of his friends to on the band wagon. Who is that nutcase Ed Schultz is talking to? She is a teacher in Utah, who want to carry a gun in class. She wouldn’t teacher a kid of mine.

24. 160 dotster3
    January 9, 2013 at 8:33 pm

I didn’t like this selection even before this latest bit of ugliness was known. Everything about him seems wrong for Obama’s inauguration. I would like to know who on the inauguration committee thought this guy was a good idea. Out of all the thousands of decent pastors and lay religious/spiritual people, it’s a shame they came up with this troubling choice.

January 9, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Who made the decision to select the pastor?

• January 9, 2013 at 8:44 pm

The choice was made, because we all want to hear Rachel devout 3 entire Shows, pointing this out, and implying that the President must hate Da Gays.

January 9, 2013 at 8:46 pm

I agree with you Dotster – but this is just one very small aspect of the entire inauguration event, and should not be used in an attempt to distract people and keep them from enjoying the celebration. Keep in mind that 47% of Americans (including some in the “Left” media) voted for and/or had no problems with Candidate Mitt Romney who endorsed anti-gay policies.

I guess the inauguration is not about passing judgment, but about including everyone. I think by now no one should have any question about how PBO and his closest advisers feel about the LGBT community. That pastor is not going to be advising PBO on civil rights or any such policy or legislation. And the time will come when he will be judged for his own bigotry – soon enough.

• 165 carolyn
      January 9, 2013 at 8:48 pm

And yet the poet is gay……..Remember four years ago the hoopla over Rick Warren……..I’m tired of everyone second guessing everything the President does…….frankly, few people pay attention to the benediction…..they’re leaving or getting ready to leave.
      I have never before heard all the concern over the Inaugural program for any other president. Personally, I don’t like the idea of James Taylor or Kelly Clarkson singing…….I don’t care for either of them, but it’s not my business and it isn’t a big part of the program. So…..what I read about this pastor I don’t like, but it’s done, and that’s that.

• 166 COS
        January 9, 2013 at 8:54 pm

We have to remember that PBO is a big tent person. That’s one of the things I love about him.

January 9, 2013 at 8:55 pm

“I have never before heard all the concern over the Inaugural program for any other president. ”

INDEED. For how the MSM keeps insinuating that no one cares about this year’s inauguration – there sure seems to be a whole lotta hoopla about every detail of the event.

January 9, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I love James Taylor, he work his butt off for the re-election of President Obama. “How Sweet It Is To Be Love By You”. In my mind I’m going to Carolina”.

• 171 Eveingeorgia
        January 9, 2013 at 9:22 pm

When everybody begins to understand that President Obama really means it when he says this is the UNITED States of America, then we will not get so upset with his choices and decisions.
        No one has stood up more for the LGBT community than President Obama, yet while he is president of the LGBT community, he is also president of those who are against that community.
        He really means it when he talks about blue America and Red America, black America and white America not being the point. The point as he sees it is that we are all in this together. He constantly invites us all to the table.
        He is not going to campaign or lead by pumping up negative attitudes about one group or the other. You won’t find him promoting a Southern Strategy or a witch-hunt against the LGBT community, or stirring up hatred against ‘welfare queens’ or trailer trash.
        He sees worth in all men, and that is what he lives.
        It rankles to have to sit at the table with those who have acted so ugly and mean, but if we are to survive as a nation, we have to be willing to lay down our arms and at least open the door to dialogue.
        I believe that President Obama is really trying to change the dialogue in this country. I support him wholeheartedly in this; it’s a courageous stand to take. Resentment is easy and often understandable, but a willingness to listen to your enemy is hard. President Obama continues to choose the harder more honorable way.

• January 9, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Beautifully said, Eveingeorgia, and expresses something I keep thinking about too. The parts of the campaign pundits called negative, was him simply telling the truth. But he never name called or hit below the belt and now he will set all that aside and consider any good idea no matter who it comes from. The Republicans who think only of giving him a black eye, would do so much good for themselves if they committed to work with him. My tongue has been pretty sharp throughout the campaign, and I was livid at times, but I was always aware that I’m supposed to be called to be a better person than that. So I’ve tried to cut back on the meaner jokes, to use people’s correct names. I’m still sarcastic, but I’m trying to be better. This is the thing I admire the most about PBO.

• 173 ber6964
          January 9, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Thank You Eve……….That says it All for Me.

• 174 jackiegrumbacher
          January 9, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Agree, Eve. Thank you for saying this so beautifully.

• 175 cman
          January 9, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Could not have said it better myself. “We are and will always be THE UNITED STATES of AMERICA.” –Barack Obama

January 9, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Simply put Eve in G, THANK YOU! That’s exactly how I see the President too. One of the most profound lessons I learned from PBO I learned the night of his acceptance speech – that when the election is over the winner IS THE PRESIDENT OF ALL CITIZENS..

• 177 Walking_on_ Sunshine
          January 9, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Absolutely Eveingeorgia. Well said.

• 178 theo67
          January 9, 2013 at 11:34 pm

Well said, Eve.

• 179 nathkatun7
          January 10, 2013 at 12:49 am

Well said, Eveingeorgia!

• 180 kathryn kivett
        January 9, 2013 at 10:48 pm

hmmmmm…..did you forget that James Taylor and his wife spent an enormous amount of time, on their dime, campaigning for PBO including going from town to town in NC to OFA offices to encourage volunteers, plus gave concerts, free of charge, all over the country and that was just this election…in 2008 he gave free concerts all over NC and all over US so James Taylor is one of PBO strongest “celebrity” volunteers….in other words he not only put his money but also his mouth where it counted….not to mention that PBO awarded him the Medal of Arts….perhaps that’s why he was chosen to sing”America the Beautiful” at the inauguration..

• 181 symmetry11
      January 9, 2013 at 10:24 pm

I think that his selection has to do with there being a joint congressional committee that is planning the presidential inaugural. That means that there are also republicans on the committee(Senator Alexander from my State is on the committee).

25. 182 carolyn
    January 9, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Just listened to an interview Ed had with a teacher in Utah who wants to carry a weapon in class….a “concealed weapon.” Ed asked very good questions, and seemed aghast at some of her answers. She obviously had not thought this through. She sounded pathetic. One thing Ed asked her was if parents had a right to know if their child’s teacher carried a gun. She said, no….not necessarily, and after all no one will know she has one because hers will be concealed. Ed asked her if someone came in her classroom with an assault weapon could she stop that person with her gun…..she didn’t understand the question, and wandered. In fact, she could not answer his questions sensibly or completely. She ultimately sounded ignorant. Ed did a good job.

January 9, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Yeah, she sounds like just the kind of person we want carrying a concealed weapon. I’m not even sure, from your description, that she should be teaching our children.

• 184 theo67
      January 9, 2013 at 11:43 pm

I can understand teachers being afraid of being gunned down on the job, i.e. in the classroom, but surely they have to realize that they’re opening a can of dangerous worms with this plan of action. There’s no way a teacher can deal with the chaos in a classroom under those conditions, or protect the children from access to the gun, or even be assured that they could shoot straight in a panic – when police don’t even manage to shoot straight during times of stress. How will their concealed guns work against an assault weapon that can shoot six bullets per second – coupled with the element of surprise? And how do we know one of these teachers won’t lose it one day themselves – it’s possible! It’s pouring gasoline on a raging fire.

26. 185 ewok2
    January 9, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Hello everyone, I went to my local bookstore today, and there was not a single anti Obama book on display on the Best Seller’s shelf. I guess the haters ran out of hate material. Now they have to make up nonsense about the President to keep themselves and their paychecks relevant. I recall in 2009 there were a slew of books hating on the President on the Best Seller’s shelf. The media and the haters got nothing.

• 186 COS
      January 9, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Ewok2, after they saw that it did not work on Nov. 6, I assume they gave up. :)

January 9, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Thanks for sharing ewok. As many of us here predicted – these opportunistic anti-Obama books have been relegated to the $1 sales bins. The vast majority of people just aren’t interested in hearing our President trashed by a bunch of charlatans looking to exploit him for a quick buck. People have seen the man for who he is and they have already made up their minds about the character of the man in the Oval Office. They don’t need any more “stories.”

• 188 PoliticalJunkessa
      January 9, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Great observation….although I think the “best-seller” status for a lot of that trash was bogus anyway. Right-wingers inflate their book sales by buying up the copies. Glad to see them gone, however they got gone. :-)

• 189 TrumpDog
        January 9, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Yep, they buy in bulk and end up giving them out FREE with memberships, web page sign ups or maybe in cereal boxes.
        It’s one big racket.

• 190 theo67
      January 9, 2013 at 11:45 pm

People are probably using those books as kindling to keep their fireplaces burning during this cold winter – that’s about all they’re good for, although one has to watch out for the toxic fumes…

27. January 9, 2013 at 8:42 pm

January 9, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Glad to see Bill Clinton using the famed bully pulpit on the guns.

• 196 theo67
      January 9, 2013 at 11:49 pm

I’ve come to appreciate Bill Clinton. He’s either working to extend President Obama’s message because he wants to help with these crazed Republicans and their media whores, or he’s laying the groundwork for a possible Hillary run in 2016 (despite her protests that she won’t run…). Either way – I’ll take it. If it helps President Obama in a second term, I will absolutely take it!

29. January 9, 2013 at 8:54 pm

• 199 theo67
      January 10, 2013 at 12:10 am

I actually liked Geithner’s original signature. It was unique and stylish.

January 10, 2013 at 8:39 am

Jack Lew’s signature is like something I’ve never seen before.

• 201 theo67
          January 10, 2013 at 11:00 am

You know, Jack Lew comes across as pretty straight-laced, quiet and non-exciting – in a good way. That signature opens up a whole different perspective – he clearly has some character to run around with a signature like that! LOL

January 9, 2013 at 9:00 pm

firefox 18.0 is available now.

• January 9, 2013 at 10:11 pm

windows 8: should I adopt, or no?

• 204 amk for obama
        January 9, 2013 at 10:16 pm

No. Too many bugs at this point. The user interface, as I understand it, is very different and get some using to do. Also. Too. Many programs yet to be upgraded for w8. Heck, some of the programs I use don’t even have the w7 version.

In short, give it a year. Then you are likely to less buggier, less costlier version.

• 205 carolyn
          January 9, 2013 at 10:23 pm

That’s the advice my son gave me when he upgraded my laptop. He is a pro in computers, and I take his advice, and it syncs with amk….Windows 7 is good. It’s flexible, user-friendly and capable of anything needed.

31. January 9, 2013 at 9:01 pm

32. January 9, 2013 at 9:01 pm

The White House will press Afghan leaders to fast-track planned peace talks with the Taliban during a series of key meetings in Washington this week, with the hopes of having an peace process up and running by the time U.S. combat troops pull out in 2014.

There is the “potential for trying to accelerate an Afghan-led peace process” during meetings between President Obama and Afghan president Hamid Karzai set for Friday at the White House, Doug Lute, the administration’s top adviser for South Asia, told reporters Tuesday.

The Afghan-led peace talks with the Taliban, as part of an overarching peace plan, “is absolutely essential to bringing the war to a responsible close,” Lute said.

33. January 9, 2013 at 9:06 pm

34. 209 susanne
    January 9, 2013 at 9:11 pm

good afternoon todville
    new mexico’s republican governor is taking the high road on medicaid expansion:

‘ Republican Gov. Susana Martinez says New Mexico will follow provisions of a federal health care law to expand the state’s Medicaid program to potentially provide medical services to 170,000 low-income adults.’

• 210 amk for obama
      January 9, 2013 at 9:23 pm

She was one candidate that I was afraid of that mittbot would choose as veep. of course, the bot had to go with the teabbagger.

• 211 susanne
        January 9, 2013 at 9:25 pm

the white teabagger man. yep.

• 212 0388jojothecat
        January 9, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Mitt Robme would never choose a woman let a lone crazy Bachman. She would never give him MN so that would be just a waste. Beside I can’t imagine Queen Anne allowing it.

• 213 theo67
        January 10, 2013 at 12:15 am

She’s still a Republican. Her speech at the RNC confirmed it.

• 214 amk for obama
          January 10, 2013 at 12:18 am

I know. But she had the potential to siphon off some of the women voters.

• 215 theo67
            January 10, 2013 at 12:21 am

True – but I’d really have to wonder about those women who would support a party that is so against their interests. Just like I question the Log Cabin Republican types who support the GOP who so despise and disrespect them. I guess that could be said about every group that supports the GOP – because the GOP don’t actually benefit any group, including the rich – since that model of deregulation and screwing over the middle class isn’t sustainable.

• 216 amk for obama
              January 10, 2013 at 12:27 am

Yup. Almost half the ‘murka votes blindly against their own interests just out of blind ideology. I really don’t understand the psyche women repubs.

35. January 9, 2013 at 9:18 pm

January 9, 2013 at 9:22 pm

37. January 9, 2013 at 9:27 pm

38. 224 mtmarilyn
    January 9, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Good evening Chips and TOD family. I finally have time to say hello. We are having a wonderful time visiting as many wineries as we can in the Sonoma valley. Today we finally slowed down some and are home early tonnight. There are so many here. Our trunk will be full of wine when we go home. It’s not cheap but oh so good.

Thanks for the info today on VP Biden. I am so ready to fight for whatever can get done. We have to stand up to the NRA and all the other nuts.

Back to my last wine for the day. Tomorrow off to the redwoods and to see the ocean. Keep up the great work everyone!!!

39. 226 proudmemberofglobalzero
    January 9, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Hey TOD family….
    How my day started: 60 year old 6 ft 3 white male walks up to my counter. He has long streaming grey hair, thin build, shorts and torn off the sleeves button down shirt. I thought he was talking into his phone plugged into his ear. His rant was about how much he makes as a retired iron worker, his real estate holdings are vast. He came up to me and I took care of him. He looks me straight in the eye and screams, “you Jews and blacks are taking over everything”. My jaw dropped as well as the 20 or so people that were standing around me.

So, how was your day.

January 9, 2013 at 9:41 pm

OMG. We REALLY need mental health services and a law against lying on tv. Seriously. And a muzzle for that terrified ignoramous. Sorry, proud. Bet his rant did more for showing his ignorance than he ever imagined.

• 228 proudmemberofglobalzero
        January 9, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Several people came up to me then it seemed like the whole store plus the people that were shopping. My husband was livid. Someone told him. You know I am Jewish and was really flabbergasted. My husband told my boss that he was lucky that he wasn’t standing there when this happened.

January 9, 2013 at 9:57 pm

I bet! Ignorance and fear drives these people, and the fact that they “think they know the truth” and will not listen to reason and facts scares the daylights out of me. I’m so sorry that you had to listen to this bs. It just hurts my heart. This is what happens when ignorance and fear collide.

• 230 amk for obama
          January 9, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Glad to know that there were many to support you.

unlimited guns+inflammatory media+corrupt journos = democracy kill.

• January 9, 2013 at 9:55 pm

how awful for that to have been directed at you. Cookemom may have retorted, ‘damn straight Skippy, how’s it feel to be in the minority?’ Of course that would have been after had been gone for a few hours.

• 232 Rain
        January 10, 2013 at 4:30 am

Good grief what an idiot! Sorry you had to deal with that crazy fool! (((hugs)))

• 233 mtmarilyn
      January 9, 2013 at 10:18 pm

I am so sorry you had to put up with this guy! At least there were alot of people around to support you. Know that you are supported by all of us here.

40. January 9, 2013 at 9:47 pm

41. January 9, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Nobody even knew who Michelle Flounroy was until the President chose Hagel. This is yet another right wing talking point that the left picks up on. I don’t want anybody ever saying the left is smarter than the right, as the Right consistently baits the left and they fall for it every time. The President excluded, of course…

• January 9, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Michele Flournoy actually made a public statement that her two teenage children are her top priority right now and when they have grown she will be back to serve in whatever capacity. So all this hand-wringing about her right now is BUNK.

42. January 9, 2013 at 9:57 pm

January 9, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Yeah, and, in schools, it would be little kid bystanders. I feel like I need to bite a bullet right now, because of the pain, no pun intended!

• 246 carolyn
        January 9, 2013 at 10:29 pm

This is the answer to that absolutely stupid teacher Ed interviewed tonight!!! Her ignorance was astounding. (see my comment above)

• January 9, 2013 at 10:37 pm

They slash our pay, increase our class sizes, give us ridiculous standards to meet, destroy our union and arm us with military grade weapons. What could go wrong?

January 9, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Not a damn thing. Oh, and, when our teachers need to buy 1,000 bullets out of their own pockets for the damn weapons, they’ll need to stop buying school supplies for their students, as many do now, thus causing another outcry from the crazies about how “selfish” teachers are, and that they only care about themselves.

43. 251 COS
    January 9, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Why did Christie appear on 5 shows today?

January 9, 2013 at 10:13 pm

I have no idea, do anyone have any idea? Maybe it’s because the media has fallen in love with him, and what’s the heck is wrong with Democrats in that PPP poll?

January 9, 2013 at 10:14 pm

1. Slow news day.
      2. Because he could.

(No longer interested in figuring it out.)

• January 9, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Cuz they are priming and pumping him up as the political star for 2016. Media is so desperate to discover the GOP version of Pres Barack Obama

• 260 carolyn
        January 9, 2013 at 10:39 pm

yeah, they tried it with Ryan too……how’d that work out? I think Christie is so over the top, he will quickly wear out his “welcome.” His “truth telling” will soon grow old and become tedious. I think it’s funny when the MSM picks someone to pump up…….it hardly ever works out.

January 9, 2013 at 10:43 pm

It has been my experience in recent years that whichever Repub the MSM tries to pimp usually winds up in the political trash can shortly thereafter. The MSM tried to pimp Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann, Rick Perry, Paul Ryan and even Jon Hunstman at one time. Christie had better watch out!

• 262 COS
          January 9, 2013 at 11:09 pm

HF, political “trash can” made me laugh. Democrats are making a big mistake getting caught up in the “Christie moment”. Leopards do not change their spots.

• 263 nathkatun7
          January 10, 2013 at 1:44 am

As always, Hopefruit, you speak TRUTH! As the President would say the media may be suffering from a similar affliction to “Romneysia.” may be we can call it “Medianesia.”

44. January 9, 2013 at 10:11 pm

45. January 9, 2013 at 10:12 pm

46. 269 0388jojothecat
    January 9, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Lawrence O’Donnell sounds very serious to take the three month Senator job…….

• 270 amk for obama
      January 9, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Yes, I saw his self-pimping tweet. Redenculous.

• 271 Dudette
        January 9, 2013 at 10:41 pm

His presentation was funn. But the idea of him filling the job temporarily isn’t really all that far fetched. I doubt the Governor would pick him, but at least Lawrence, having been a former Senate Chief of Staff under Pat Moynihan on the Senate Finance Committee, would know exactly what the job entails. With all the budget/deficit/tax fights coming up, he’d know what the hell is going on. Plus he’s a staunch liberal, whip smart and wouldn’t be intimidated by a soul there. There are worse people who could be chosen.

January 9, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Only 45 minutes of Lawrence talking about whether or not he’d run, and then 15 minutes given over to his guest, Barney Frank. Sounds fair for his old self-aggrandizing self. Why did I watch? It was like being a rubbernecker at a car crash. Couldn’t help myself.

• 276 COS
        January 9, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Jacqueline I wasn’t that brave. I like Lawrence but I could not sit through that. :)

January 9, 2013 at 11:20 pm

The best part, COS, was that after a five-minute intro of Barney Frank, during which Lawrence extolled the virtues of his choice du jour, Barney appeared on camera lookin’ like the poster boy for lethargy. I think I caught a deer-in-the-headlights look out of Lawrence, when he saw his nominee’s total lack of visible enthusiasm unfold for all the world to see, after such a ludicrous build-up. It was kinda funny. Why not just hold an auction for the interim seat? No wonder some people don’t take politics seriously.

47. 278 Dudette
    January 9, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Howdy TOD Family! Missed you guys! Two days seems like 4EVAH! :-) Crazy busy at work again!

Thought I’d bring this over from the previous thread in response to Chip’s tweet about construction of the viewing box for the Inauguration Parade:

Anybody remember this from 2009? I got such a kick out of watching the new First Family flashing shaka signs as the marching band from the President’s high school alma mater, Punahou High School, marched by with pride!

January 9, 2013 at 10:39 pm

That’s so cute how the girls are doing the sign too.

January 9, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Thanks so much for this sweet memory, Dudette!

January 9, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Evening girl! :lol: You come just at the point my eyes are fading, so I’ll tag team with you. You stay, I go. Catch you later.

• 283 isonprize
      January 10, 2013 at 1:21 am

Dudette, you, like me, love, love, LOVE, LURVE~~~!!!!!!!! a parade.

So many memories for me. It was COOOOOOOOOOOOOLD out there that day. I had on my warmest hat and gloves, plus 5 layers of clothes and needed EVERY LAYER. The hand and foot warmers were the BEST few dollars I ever invested in. But I stayed until the last unit marched. It started late. At the time, since I didn’t have a radio or anything, I had no idea why, until I heard about Sen. Kennedy from some folks who had hung out at the Newseum.

I WILL NEVER FORGET THAT DAY!!!

• 284 nathkatun7
      January 10, 2013 at 2:04 am

Thanks Dudette for the wonderful memories! The 2009 inauguration was the most fun-filled in my life-time. I must confess, however, that I did not watch President George W. Bush’s second inaugural, but I doubt that it was as exciting as Obama’s. That’s the only inaugural since 1961, that I deliberately decided not to watch. My first one was JFK’s. Although I was only fourteen I still remember all the excitement surrounding it.

January 9, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Some good privacy management

That’s one of the reasons I hate google.

Cardinal rule 1: Whenever you access any of the google accounts (mail/chat/or whatever crap they offer), always sign out (which they cleverly hide it a dropdown menu under your name). Otherwise, you’ll stay signed in even after you exit the browser and even after you shut down the puter.

January 9, 2013 at 10:49 pm

50. 288 Dudette
    January 9, 2013 at 11:01 pm

• 289 purpleshoesla
      January 10, 2013 at 1:34 am

She’s such a down to earth person. I got to meet her at the So Cal OFA HQ last March when she came to speak. She is FIERCE!

51. 290 Dudette
    January 9, 2013 at 11:01 pm

52. 293 Dudette
    January 9, 2013 at 11:07 pm

I love a parade!!

United States Navy Band: Inaugural Parade 2009

53. 294 Dudette
    January 9, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Coast Guard Marches in 2009 Inaugural Parade

54. 295 Dudette
    January 9, 2013 at 11:13 pm

2009 Inaugural Parade – The Army Goes Rolling Along

55. 296 Dudette
    January 9, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Gotta give the jarheads some space — unfortunately, this one’s kind short

U.S. Marine Band In Inaugural Parade 2009 Washington

56. January 9, 2013 at 11:27 pm

57. January 9, 2013 at 11:29 pm

58. 300 Dudette
    January 9, 2013 at 11:29 pm

Could only find a news report of the Air Force band practicing for the 2009 inaug parade (video and audio are out of sync too… sorry)

59. 301 Dudette
    January 9, 2013 at 11:33 pm

This gave me chills! I was in tears and jumping up and down all day that day!

• 302 Dudette
      January 9, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Remembering Teddy getting sick that day and the ominous foreboding feeling I had about that … :-(

• 303 Joy
      January 10, 2013 at 1:04 am

I love this video, thanks Dudette…anyone notice one of the secret service guys wearing the same red scarf as PBO? A man willing to take a shot protecting the President.

60. 304 Dudette
    January 9, 2013 at 11:48 pm

January 10, 2013 at 12:07 am

Where are the media asking John Boehner about the jobs? Where is Ezra Klein and the media asking Boehner? Where is Klein’s wife writing a article about that?

January 9, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Folks get your cellphones – I wanna know: Is the media obsessed with this President? Text “A” for yes, “B” for no. We’ll bring you the results later in the show.

62. 308 yardarm756
    January 10, 2013 at 12:02 am

63. 311 Dudette
    January 10, 2013 at 12:06 am

Good Night Everybody!

64. 312 Dudette
    January 10, 2013 at 12:08 am

65. 313 anniebella
    January 10, 2013 at 12:11 am

Good night all.

January 10, 2013 at 12:24 am

67. 315 lisalovesobama
    January 10, 2013 at 12:29 am

What photo is everyone yakking about? What does the president have to be “embarrassed” about.

• January 10, 2013 at 8:05 am

Don’t know if you ever got a reply. The photo was of PBO with some of his advisors, all of whom happened to be white males. You can see a bit of Valeria Jarret’s leg. So some in the media start whining that PBO is not inclusive enough. It’s to ridiculous to even be enraged about.

68. 317 LDS
    January 10, 2013 at 12:35 am

Dudette,
    Girl, you are baaaaaaad!
    Thanks

January 10, 2013 at 12:35 am

• 319 purpleshoesla
      January 10, 2013 at 12:59 am

Heartbreaking and outrageous. Forwarded the article to nokidhungry.org whose trying to combat childhood hunger here in America by 2015. Staggering contradiction when the US is throwing food away. Jeebus.

On a lighter note, this one’s for you amk. A friend sent this to me earlier today and I immediately thought of you:

I met a fairy who said she would grant me one wish.

Immediately I said, “I want to live forever.”

“Sorry,” said the fairy, “I’m not allowed to grant eternal life.”

“OK,” I said, “Then, I want to die after Congress gets its head out of its ass!”

“You crafty bastard,” said the fairy.

• 321 Rain
      January 10, 2013 at 4:39 am

Excellent documentary on food waste in our country. I think Netflix has the film to watch.

70. January 10, 2013 at 12:39 am

January 10, 2013 at 12:43 am

72. January 10, 2013 at 12:44 am

73. January 10, 2013 at 12:52 am

• 328 isonprize
      January 10, 2013 at 1:02 am

Bobfr, re: entitlement mongers. Don’t forget the “journalists” who seem to think that they are entitled to their own facts. :lol:

74. 329 Joy
    January 10, 2013 at 12:57 am

So the media whore, Ariana Huffington is on Piers Morgan tonight, just when I was giving this guy Piers some credit. :-(

• 330 4morefor44
      January 10, 2013 at 1:21 am

why on earth would you ever “give this guy Piers some credit”?!? i must admit, it’s been disturbing to me to see how easily so many people, even here, will quickly absolve people such as piers, joe scarborough, chris matthews, etc. when they seem somewhat coherent on one topic briefly, when 98% of the time they’re pumping republican talking points and obama-hate into the public discourse, and have been consistently FOR YEARS!! truly disturbs me. what more do they have to do to make you realize they are not on our side or president obama’s side??!? seriously.

75. 333 4morefor44
    January 10, 2013 at 1:01 am

more gun insanity…a mom who decided to become an open-carry activist, most notably showing her gun at her child’s soccer games, is shot and killed by her husband. i feel so badly for their children…

remember, nuclear bombs don’t kill people, people kill people. cars and alcohol themselves don’t kill people, people kill people. therefore, nuclear bombs and drunk driving should legal, in the minds of n.r.a. nutjobs. i swear, anyone who keeps making these incredibly stupid n.r.a. arguments should be banned from owning firearms on the grounds of mental disability. insane what the n.r.a. and their media enablers have been allowed to perpetuate upon america.

• 334 carla4obama
      January 10, 2013 at 3:40 am

The many comments on this article are telling. The gun people are not backing down, yes this fight will be ugly and we will test our will as a nation over this fight.

January 10, 2013 at 8:20 am

Common sense. Where has it all gone? If people didn’t have those assault weapons they wouldn’t be able to kill so many people. 19 school kids were stab in China the same week of the Newtown horror, all of the kids in China survive, all the kids in Newton died. A knife, a assault weapon.

76. 337 globalcitizenlinda
    January 10, 2013 at 1:32 am

The NRA & many of its supporters convinced themselves that PBO was joking when he said that he is going to take on this issue. The arrogance of these gun-by-all-means advocates were re-assured by a media chorus that also believes that gun control push will soon end.

Once again we can see people who continously under-estimate PBO at their own peril – stay tuned!

77. January 10, 2013 at 3:49 am

Wondered if anyone was still up?

78. January 10, 2013 at 4:00 am

Yeah, the usual suspects have disappeared for the night.

January 10, 2013 at 6:35 am

January 10, 2013 at 8:11 am

Is it okay with you guys Mr. Karl or Ezra Klein if POTUS choose Jack Lew? Should he have to run it by you guys first?

January 10, 2013 at 6:54 am

Hilda Solis quits as Labor Sec. ???

81. 353 prettyfoot58
    January 10, 2013 at 6:59 am

NOT PROMOTING THIS MOVIE…..

But how do we curb this steady ourput of violent movies…..should this also be part of the conversation of gun control…

• January 10, 2013 at 7:29 am

In my opinion, No it should not. There are violent movies, video games and television shows shown around the globe. The difference is that guns aren’t as easy to access around the globe as they are here in the United States.

• January 10, 2013 at 8:08 am

Repeated exposure to excessive violence may not create killers but I do think it numbs us to the effects of these constant brutal murders that happen everywhere every day in our country. As a society, we seem incapable of feeling the gravity of this horrific violence and we think nothing of feeding it to our children. I’m hoping this time will be different, but so many see gun ownership and violence as sport or entertainment that I think it does have an effect on how we grapple with the fact that America is obsessed with this kind of stuff.

• 356 Bill
        January 10, 2013 at 8:13 am

I agree. Violent movies and video games can never be banned for Constitutional reasons. It is a parental problem. Another solution mentioned by gun lovers is addressing “mental illness” but offering no specifics. “Mental illness” cannot be outlawed and has been with us since Adam and Eve. Additionally will gun lovers and Republicans pay for their undefined increased treatment of “mental illness”? It is all about guns.

January 10, 2013 at 8:23 am

Furthermore, the mentally ill are actually LESS likely to be violent or commit violent crimes than the general population – so mental illness (which exists globally) does NOT account for the high level of premeditated gun-related violence in the US.

• 358 prettyfoot58
        January 10, 2013 at 9:04 am

i think our appetite for violence is fueled and encouraged by this glorification of violence …these issues do not exist in a vaccum…they build on each other

• January 10, 2013 at 8:00 am

These kinds of movies are not my cup of tea. I saw the previews when I went to see Lincoln and I have to say, there is a tremendous amount of brutal violence in this film. I guess a lot of people find that entertaining and that is a statement about our culture.

• 361 kathryn kivett
      January 10, 2013 at 8:58 am

Yes, everything should be on the table to curb violence in any form….it’s a very deep subject…on the one hand, you have the right to create an extremely violent movie, video game, song, or book/magazine…..on the other hand, why would you want to….MONEY….obviously there is a market for it so who has the responsibility for creating a market for it…..parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, neighbors…..when adults stand up and say…ENOUGH…I will never buy another violent video game, movie, magazine, book, attend a violent movie, never download a violent i tune, attend a concert that promotes violence…..the market dries up and children will not be exposed to it and will not crave violent entertainment when they grow up……..guns are another subject…….Laws should be established and IMPLEMENTED……assault guns and ammunition are weapons of mass destruction and should be treated as such….anyone owning one should be subject to prosecution the same way anyone owning a bomb should….gun technology obviously is not the same as when the 2nd amendment was written…..so….my position is, you should only be allowed to own the type of weapons that were available when 2nd amendment was written………………………now having said that…..I bought Skylanders for my Grandchild for Christmas and monster figures that are used with game for birthday…..I am rethinking that decision….do you all think that Skylander’s is classified as a violent game?

82. January 10, 2013 at 7:59 am

What tactics???

Senate Republicans: Lew will have to answer for White House tactics
    Alexander Bolton
    01/10/13 05:00 AM ET
    It is not often that members of the minority party get to grill the chief of staff of a sitting…

What are they talking about? They make no sense, if only just to make themselves feel better.

83. January 10, 2013 at 8:01 am

California Town Hall Provides Glimpse At The Future Of The Gun Control Debate
    Advocates on both sides of the gun control debate are prepared to make a lot of noise about the future of gun regulations in the wake of the Newtown, Conn. shooting. That’s the message from the first of House Democratic gun violence pointman Mike Thompson’s violence-focused town halls this week.

On Tuesday night, Thompson hosted the first of three gun violence town halls in his northern California district. As they vowed to do, gun control opponents showed up in force to make their case against new regulations. But, according to local reports of the meeting, they were met with equally impassioned gun control proponents. It’s a preview of what might happen after the White House and Thompson reveal their post-Newtown legislative proposals: opposition to gun control is likely to be met by vocal support for new gun regulations that is just as loud.

84. January 10, 2013 at 8:10 am

You see? The Republicans are still fighting the 2012 campaign, fighting about Susan Rice and then reversing the Binders full of Women on the President. With the no Women in his Cabinet remarks. That all started and originated from the RNC and then the media freaked out about it.
    The Republicans did this the first term as well, but they had 2 bug fat targets of big Government. The stimulus and Obamacare. They got nothing now, so they try to embarrass the President
    That is all…