Jan

Rise and Shine

Mike Thompson

1:45: Jay Carney briefs the press

4:45: President Obama hosts cast and crew members of the television show 1600 Penn for a screening at the White House

Must-read from Michael Grunwald:

I pledged awhile back, after a certain media mogul trashed President Obama for failing to solve global warming, that I would not spend all my time ridiculing the Obama-bashing disillusionment addicts of the left. (Pretty good week for that mogul, huh?)  I mostly kept my word for 18 months, until their whiny response to the fiscal cliff deal inspired me to launch a Twitter tirade about Ivory Soap liberals, Choose Your Own Adventure liberals, Heighten The Contradictions liberals, and progressive utopianism in general. Now that I’m back from vacation, I thought I’d try to explain in more than 140 characters what I meant….

See the full piece here: Time

Norman Ornstein (The New Republic): One of the most stunning outcomes of the 2012 elections was the Democrats’ two-seat gain in the Senate. With 23 seats at risk to only ten for Republicans, Democrats were hoping simply to hold their own or keep their losses to a minimum. A gain of a single seat was almost wildly optimistic; picking up two seemingly unrealistic.

But just as important as the overall gain was the nature of the new class of Democrats sworn in to the Senate last week. With the addition of Elizabeth Warren, Tammy Baldwin, Tim Kaine and Chris Murphy, and the possibility of Barney Frank joining them for a few key months and being followed by Ed Markey, the Senate has seen an infusion of liberal talent. Thanks to an impressive class of 2006…. and the class of 2008, the Senate has a core of assertive, brainy liberals greater than we have seen in decades…..

Full post here

USA Today: Vice President Biden, assigned to develop a plan to address gun violence, has a string of meetings lined up this week – including one with the National Rifle Association.

On Wednesday, Biden will meet with victims’ groups and gun safety organizations, said White House spokesman Jay Carney.

On Thursday, the vice president will sit down separately with advocates for sportsmen, women, and gun ownership groups — the latter including the NRA.

More here

USA Today: Beyoncé, James Taylor and Kelly Clarkson will perform the patriotic songs at the second inauguration of President Obama on Jan. 21…

Beyoncé will sing the national anthem … Taylor will sing America the Beautiful … and Clarkson will sing My Country, ‘Tis of Thee…

More here

Politico: The Presidential Inauguration Committee on Wednesday named the Inaugural poet, who will appear at President Barack Obama’s swearing-in ceremony on Inauguration Day. Richard Blanco will be the country’s youngest Inaugural poet and also the first Hispanic and first member of the LGBT community to serve in the position, according to a statement from the committee:

“I’m honored that Richard Blanco will join me and Vice President Biden at our second Inaugural,” Obama said in the statement. “His contributions to the fields of poetry and the arts have already paved a path forward for future generations of writers. Richard’s writing will be wonderfully fitting for an Inaugural that will celebrate the strength of the American people and our nation’s great diversity.”

More here

Read the post here

Charles Pierce: …… If you remember all the way back to 2008, you will recall that the president took some altogether justified heat for picking noted multimillionaire faith-based grifter Rick Warren to give the invocation. Now, I don’t think there even should be an invocation to any Deity as part of the ceremony by which we install the leader of one-third of our secular government … but if we are going to Pause For Prayer, we should do a lot better than Warren …. And, thanks be to Whoever, the president has managed to do so.

…. In too many other places, people choose to remember the [Civil Rights] Movement as a triumph for the American nation and not a victory for basic human rights that had to be wrenched out of the nation itself. And the struggle is ongoing. There is a substantial portion of the American people who will not accept the legitimacy of a black president 50 years after the March On Washington. It took Myrlie Evers-Williams 31 years to get simple justice for her husband’s murder. It will be nice to hear a prayer from someone with so very few illusions.

Full post here

CNN: The Obama administration is considering the possibility of removing all U.S. troops in Afghanistan after the NATO combat mission officially finishes at the end of 2014, White House officials said Tuesday.

The comments by Ben Rhodes, the White House’s deputy national security adviser, come as the Pentagon and White House mull over the number of troops that could be left in Afghanistan after 2014 to fight insurgents and train Afghan security forces.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai and President Obama are scheduled to meet on Friday in Washington.

More here

Washington Post: Groups within the Obama administration are pushing to keep no more than a few thousand troops in Afghanistan after 2014, U.S. officials said …. As the debate over the size and scope of the post-2014 coalition mission nears its end, some in the administration are pressing for a force that could be as small as 2,500, arguing that a light touch would be the most constructive way to cap the costly, unpopular war.

More here

Really sad news from Twitter:

@weywerdSun

Thank you Patrece (@havewhatusay) for letting me know

MoooOOOoooOOOoooorning!

215 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

January 9, 2013 at 8:33 am

FIRST!

January 9, 2013 at 8:33 am

Boom!

January 9, 2013 at 8:34 am

Sad to hear of weywerdsun’s passing. I know he had quite a few TOD followers. May he RIP.

January 9, 2013 at 9:31 am

So Hf, like that broken clock theory your strategy to regularly cry ‘FIRST’ is right for you today. :lol: :lol:

• January 9, 2013 at 9:35 am

VC, she often shouts first when she’s 36th – she’s the Lance Armstrong of TOD.

January 9, 2013 at 9:57 am

Egg.sack.lee /looking furtively to see if Amk is watching – don’t want to be accused of misuse :roll: /

Though CC, in fairness to Hf, I haven’t heard any rumours of drug use before or after the shouted ‘FIRST’. …. Except, maybe her position in the lineup at the time of the shout might just be indicative of the timing of the performance enhancing stimulant. Hmmmmm, as per Jodi K, I’ll have to consider this and showcase my unfounded thoughts in a book.

January 9, 2013 at 10:01 am

A very gracious ‘Good Morning’ to you Ms Chips! We speculated, a TODobot and I, that you were out body-surfing again last night, and so we left the lights on really late so you could safely find your way inside. It seems to have worked too. Nice team work! :razz: :razz:

January 9, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Yes, indeed. :)

January 9, 2013 at 8:38 am

So there I am on the last thread watching out for Desertf’s nether regions while she is racing Hopef for first! I guess that’s as good a way as any to unfreeze them, Desertflower. ;)

♪♪ Good Morning to you! ♪ ♪ ♪♪Good Wednesday Morning to you-o-o-u-u-u.♪♪ ♪Good Morning, dear TODobots…and Ms Chips. ♪ ♪ ♪Good Morning to you….and many mo-o-or-r-r-e-! ♪ :lol: Can you tell I haven’t been called to work this morning?

January 9, 2013 at 8:41 am

So I see the media is tripping over themselves trying to the convince people that this year’s inauguration is going to be a boring slug fest and no one is excited about it.

This actually suggests to me that the opposite is true – and the MSM is working overtime to convince people that they’re aren’t or shouldn’t be excited about it. They keep repeatedly comparing this year to 2008 – as if it’s anything new or out of the ordinary that the 2nd time around doesn’t generate the same thrill as the first time – particularly when the 1st time was a historic occasion. But just like they were on Nov 6 2012, they are in for some surprises on Jan 21, 2013…

• 24 dotster3
      January 9, 2013 at 8:52 am

Every news outlet has released a ‘no one cares about PBO’s 2nd inauguration’ story—–AP, Reuters, every TV and major newspaper. Weird and ugly—-don’t get why everyone thought it was necessary to push such a misleading story.

January 9, 2013 at 9:00 am

It’s a variation on the “enthusiasm gap” meme that the media LOVES to push where this President is concerned, this time with racist dog whistle (and FALSE) assertion that only AA’s are excited about the inauguration.

Somehow, I doubt you could ever find a mainstream article in Jan 2005 that reported that only white people were excited about GWB’s 2nd inauguration.

• 26 Vicki
          January 9, 2013 at 9:40 am

Over 3 million individual donors contributed to PBO’s second campaign.
          Only 1 million the first time.
          Enthusiam gap???

Desparate deluded MSM, wrong again, always wrong about our President and the love he has from his people.

January 9, 2013 at 10:07 am

I would guess that none of the folks reporting have checked for hotel vacancies in Wash Dc and area. MSM really aren’t worth our time, at least only in so far as we check them after each event to see how they scramble to catch up with the true narrative.

• 29 veryslowwriter
      January 9, 2013 at 11:13 am

Yeah, like there would be million people turning out to see President Romney. (Just writing that makes my fingers feel dirty.)

January 9, 2013 at 11:30 am

I heard that same B.S. of a story this morning on CBS Morning, I said that the MSM is just trying to rain on POTUS parade. Nothing is the same the second or third time around, even marriage. So it doesn’t matter to me that the crowd might not be as huge as 09, what matter to me is that we re-elected President Obama and VP Biden. Instead of a Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan. On CBS they did say that they check 25 hotels and 15 still had some rooms empty, but they didn’t mention how many rooms. They just said last time they were all fill by this time. I turn the channel saying forget these people. If I could I would be right there. But you better believe I plan to be watching on tv.

January 9, 2013 at 5:55 pm

“Nothing is the same the second or third time around, even marriage”

EXACTLY – and the disingenuous media knows that quite well.

• 32 nabsentia23
      January 9, 2013 at 12:27 pm

This inauguration may have a lower turn-out than the first one, but it will still be huge. The MSM needs to stop with this nonsense.

• 33 Obama Grandmama
        January 9, 2013 at 12:46 pm

I know I am disappointed that I am unable to attend the Inauguration this time around. Circumstances changed for me making this time not doable. Last time my oldest daughter lived in DC and I spent 2 weeks with her every year so it just made sense to schedule it with the Inauguration right in the middle. I did that prior to even knowing we’d get PBO hoping it would happen. I also used my airmiles way before time. I put in for 2 Inaugural tickets months ahead too and won our state’s lottery nabbing the tickets from my state senator. It was a glorious experience I will NEVER forget. My daughter even got us tickets for one of the Inaugural Balls (unfortunately, it was one the Obamas did not attend).
        My daughter is now living in Munich, Germany. My 88 year old Mom has cancer and I am helping care for her. Those changes prevent me from attending. I will be watching on tv this time around and reliving 2009 as I watch. I know those of you going will relish it always.

6. January 9, 2013 at 8:43 am

Jack Lew to be named Treasury Sec this week.
    But but but He is not a Girl and…

January 9, 2013 at 8:43 am

Just found out on Twitter that Chris Matthews said today on Morning Joe that he voted for Dubya in 2000 and apparently he was championing Chris Christie. I immediately thought to myself, ahhh….final piece of the crazy puzzle.

January 9, 2013 at 8:56 am

You may have seen this article before, but it’s very illuminating about Matthews. This was his over-the-top reaction to Bush’s “Mission Accomplished” theatrics back in 2003:

• 38 dotster3
      January 9, 2013 at 8:57 am

He’s so shallow, he can switch it on and off in an instant. You can never be sure if what he said yesterday will still be true tomorrow. It’s like he’s playing a role, drawing a character out of a hat, like a charades game. I heard him say yesterday he would be for a war with Iran. What???

• 39 Bill
      January 9, 2013 at 9:02 am

Morning Joe seems to be promoting Christie for POTUS. Joe with his ego may picture himself as his running mate. With all the love being directed towards Christie I still cannot see the country electing him POTUS. Other than being loud and overweight what does he stand for?

• 40 amk for obama
        January 9, 2013 at 9:05 am

He will not even get out of the starting blocks. And no, I am not talking about his girth.

• 41 nabsentia23
        January 9, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Exactly what amk for obama said. He wouldn’t survive a GOP primary because he’s reasonable. He also pissed off Fox News and condemned his own party for failure over Sandy relief.

• 42 Linda
      January 9, 2013 at 9:39 am

Matthews thinks Ed Rendell and Dick Armey are brilliant….he also loves Ezra Klein..

He is easily duped, IMO

• 43 ChristiMTL
        January 9, 2013 at 10:26 am

He really likes to compliment losers like Chuck Todd and Howard Fineman as well. How many times he said they were the best in the business. The fact that they’re always wrong on everything doesn’t really matter it seem. The last campaign should be an indication of that fact. They were both pathetic. ..

January 9, 2013 at 11:34 am

I don’t see why Matthews has to come on twice a day 5 and 7 p.m, give one of those time slot to Joy Reid.

January 9, 2013 at 8:44 am

GM folks.

January 9, 2013 at 8:45 am

“Acorn stole it for him” Coffee just came out my nose. Teh stupid hurts. On another note, thanks for posting Eclectablog’s piece. It’s excellent!

10. January 9, 2013 at 8:45 am

Morning Chips and TOD. Made top 20. Finally getting some down time from work although it is going to get hectic again real soon. Have a terrific day!

11. January 9, 2013 at 8:46 am

Hmmm, Lance Armstrong to be interviewed by Oprah. Confession time?

January 9, 2013 at 8:47 am

• January 9, 2013 at 9:06 am

Funny thing, it all makes sense to me. Jeez, time flies.

• 61 utaustinliberal
      January 9, 2013 at 9:08 am

“a 31/2 floppy” :lol: Ka-POW! Men everywhere are now discretely checking their penis sizes.

• 62 Japa21
        January 9, 2013 at 9:14 am

Only the gun nuts.

• 63 amk for obama
        January 9, 2013 at 9:17 am

Now that you have opened that can of worms….

Once there was a bar that was run by monkeys, and they decided to have a contest.

A monkey walked in and read the sign that said “Make the human laugh and win $1,500.

So the monkey took a man and went around back then every one heard the man laughing.

People were amazed because no one had every done this before!

Two days later the bar had a sign that said “Make the human laugh and cry and win $4,500.”

So the same monkey that won before took another man around back and everyone heard a laugh then a cry.

When they came back in the bar people were asking him how he did that.

The monkey that was running the contest finally demanded the monkey’s secret.

“No one could every do it and you did it three times!?”

The monkey then said, “Well, I told him I had a bigger ‘equipment’ than he did.

The human laughed, so I pulled down my pants.

• 65 jackiegrumbacher
      January 9, 2013 at 9:09 am

Ahh..Amk, I remember it well.

• 66 miss pat
      January 9, 2013 at 9:47 am

That three and a half inch floppy can do the work. Trust me, I know.

13. January 9, 2013 at 8:47 am

Corker said, seeing how the President will not lead he is Proposing CPI to SS and Means resting on the wealthy for Medicare.
    Stop!
    Thats the Presidents ideas to begin with. All these Guys do is play mind games.

January 9, 2013 at 8:50 am

January 9, 2013 at 8:50 am

James Taylor and Kelly Clarkson will also perform on Jan. 21. Taylor will perform America The Beautiful and Clarkson will perform My Country Tis Of Thee. Excited about Beyoncé and James Taylor. Kelly Clarkson? Meh.

January 9, 2013 at 8:54 am

Your guffaw worthy statement of the day.

• 92 dotster3
      January 9, 2013 at 9:12 am

We make fun of Joe’s daily “back when I was on the hill …” stories. He always makes it sound like he was a Big Leader, had multiple miraculous accomplishments. No one ever heard of him—–until his young office girl died—–and he resigned from Congress shortly after his re-election.

17. January 9, 2013 at 9:01 am

18. January 9, 2013 at 9:02 am

January 9, 2013 at 9:03 am

The devout cowboy lost his favorite Bible while he was mending fences out on the range.

Three weeks later, a monkey walked up to him carrying the Bible in its mouth. The cowboy couldn’t believe his eyes. He took the precious book out of the monkey’s mouth, raised his eyes heavenward and exclaimed, “It’s a miracle!”

“Tell that to the guy who gets nailed in the end” said the monkey.

January 9, 2013 at 9:03 am

The author of this BS article happens to be Ezra Klein’s wife. Little Ezra and Miss Anne can both go and have a seat.

21. 102 andogriff
    January 9, 2013 at 9:07 am

Morning everyone, morning Ms Chips! Thanks for the excellent round-up this morning! That GOP PPP poll was pretty enlightening… yikes!

22. January 9, 2013 at 9:10 am

And Tweety also said he is all about cutting spending and that the Democrats should do all the cutting and that after they ate done, the Republicans should attack them for it.
    MSNBC is doing some serious Comcast ass kissing.

January 9, 2013 at 9:13 am

Is he bipolar? Serious question

• January 9, 2013 at 9:20 am

He is the most infuriating, because he sticks up for us, but like after that first debate, he has the power to drive wedges. I think he likes both Parties, and his Show and Statements is indicative.

• 111 theo67
          January 9, 2013 at 2:23 pm

That’s why I stopped watching Chris Matthews years ago. He’s too erratic. One day you’re happy with him, the next day he’s totally offensive. I don’t need that in my life.

23. 112 Rain
    January 9, 2013 at 9:18 am

Good Morning Chips & TOD family! I make my epic trip to the DMV today *sigh*…I may never be heard from again. My state is a pretty one with nicely moderate weather and lovely coastline, but anything governmental here is bassackwards and a pain in the rear. I miss Virginia. Wishing you folks all a lovely day, and PBO a non-stressful one. :)

• 113 theo67
      January 9, 2013 at 2:24 pm

I barely made it out of the DMV alive the last time I went – I was wasting away three hours later… and they finally called my name for a five minute process. If everyone’s process only takes five minutes, why do we have to wait three hours!?!

24. 116 dotster3
    January 9, 2013 at 9:20 am

Christie is a big fake. Back to criticizing PBO, saying it was his fault, his “lack of leadership” for Congress’ failure to compromise. And refuses to take any kind of decent stand on the gun control issue. He’s strictly a self-serving, disgusting, manipulative politican, does not deserve all the praise. Our media is so shallow and easily misled.

25. January 9, 2013 at 9:22 am

January 9, 2013 at 9:23 am

Hey guys, just wanted to let you all know if you can, to send well wishes to CTGirl7 – her twitter handle is @CTGirl7 – who hasn’t posted on TOD since she lost her father and friend’s child the day the Newtown tragedy occurred on Dec. 14th, 2012.

CTGirl, if you’re out there lurking, just want to let you know that we miss you and we send you and your family warm and healing thoughts.

27. January 9, 2013 at 9:25 am

28. 124 jackiegrumbacher
    January 9, 2013 at 9:29 am

Great articles this morning. The Ornstein piece brought back a lot of good memories of the great liberal Senators that used to be
    such familiar names in my younger days. But I was struck by the fact that they were all men, while the today’s lineup includes so many good women. We used to take for granted the “maleness” of the US Senate and what we’re seeing today would have been an impossible dream. Maybe when our grandchildren are in power, there will be Senates and US Houses, not to mention governorships, that will be routinely majority women. And of course, we will have by then have elected at least a second woman to the White House.

I’m sad to hear about the death of WeywardSun. I so enjoyed his insightful tweets. He will be missed by many.

29. January 9, 2013 at 9:29 am

Good Morning, Everyone :)

January 9, 2013 at 9:51 am

Hey guys, this is a fantastic piece by Mike Grunwald about whiny liberals who are never satisfied, no matter what Pres. Obama does or what he achieves. I’ve included the link so you can read the whole piece.

Obama and the Liberals: Three Quarters of a Loaf Is Never Enough

First, a few words on the substance of the deal. Republicans wanted dramatic spending cuts, on discretionary programs as well as Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. They got none of that. Obama wanted to preserve the Bush tax cuts for the poor and middle class, and restore Clinton-era rates on income above $250,000 a year. He got almost all of that; the Bush tax cuts remained in place up to $450,000 a year. Obama also wanted to extend tax credits for the working poor, the wind industry, and college students, plus benefits for the unemployed. He got all that, too. And the mini-deal spared the economy from the draconian austerity measures that would have kicked in if we had gone over the cliff. On the other hand, some of those measures were merely delayed for two months, so the Washington brinksmanship isn’t over. And the mini-deal did not raise the debt ceiling, which means that Republican hostage-takers can once again threaten to force the U.S. government into default if they don’t get what they want during the next round of negotiations.

Still, I’d say it’s a good deal. Liberals have (correctly) argued that protecting the recovery—and protecting the vulnerable—is more important than reducing the deficit at a time when the economy still needs support. This deal was about avoiding the anti-stimulus of the cliff and the austerity demands of Republicans. Liberals have also (correctly) argued that the modern GOP is a uniquely intransigent and irresponsible party, all too willing to sabotage the economy for ideological and political reasons, driven by a reactionary combination of Tea Party principles and fear of Tea Party primary challenges. This deal managed to extract real compromises from those uncompromising Republicans, who do, after all, control the House of Representatives, along with enough Senate seats to filibuster Democratic legislation. The deal also exposed serious divisions inside the GOP, forcing House Speaker John Boehner to defy a majority of his own caucus.

Yet liberals were outraged. (Not all liberals. Michael Tomasky wisely advised his fellow lefties to stop whining.) The complaints basically fell into three categories:

Read more: http://swampland.time.com/2013/01/09/obama-and-the-liberals-three-quarters-of-a-loaf-is-never-enough/#ixzz2HURrEv1K

• 128 obamaiq
      January 9, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Excellent article thanks for posting it. I’m so sick of the whinning. I don’t remember this whinning when Clinton was president. I also don’t remember the MSM constantly talking about the next presidental candidate and who they like the best. I find this so disrespectful.

31. 130 sherijr
    January 9, 2013 at 9:54 am

I just learned of the passing of weywerdsun last night on twitter.. such a loss, thank you Chips for posting it.

January 9, 2013 at 10:14 am

Guess the shame got to them.

33. January 9, 2013 at 10:15 am

Aggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggh: I just hurt my little toe (left foot). Why do little things cause such pain? :???:

January 9, 2013 at 10:18 am

The hypocrisy in the media whining about a lack of diversity in Pres. Obama’s cabinet cracks me up. This tweet and graphic says it all.

35. January 9, 2013 at 10:19 am

Tomorrow- Jac Lew will be named Treasury Sec.
    He will have to do the COS thingy at the sane time?

• 148 amk for obama
      January 9, 2013 at 10:22 am

egg.cellent.

• 149 Lovepolitics2008
      January 9, 2013 at 11:23 am

Maybe Pete Rouse will give a hand in the interim period. It will give Lew some time to prepare for the confirmation hearings….

I wonder who will be the next chief of staff. In the past Pete Rouse has agreed to take the position only on a temporary basis; he prefers to be an advisor. So who ? Maybe one of the deputies ?

January 9, 2013 at 10:20 am

Here is an indian puzzle.

An old man dies and bequeaths his 17 horses to his 3 sons. His will states that the eldest will get 1/2 of the horses, the second one will get 1/3rd of the horse and the last one will get 1/6th.

So the case comes before the king, who is also stumped. Then the court jester steps up and solves the issue.

How did he do it?

• 170 utaustinliberal
      January 9, 2013 at 10:50 am

Hahahahahahahaha….I freaking love Austan. Wish he was still in the white house but then we might not get these fantastic tweets and students would have missed out on a great mind.

37. January 9, 2013 at 10:39 am

38. 173 Ladyhawke
    January 9, 2013 at 10:39 am

Eric Boehlert Eric Boehlert ‏@EricBoehlert

—————————————–

curious why @NYT omitted any mention of the record number of women Obama has appointed to federal courts; http://nyti.ms/UWnHae

———————————————

39. January 9, 2013 at 10:40 am

• 175 Ladyhawke
      January 9, 2013 at 10:47 am

Meta, more proof we are kindred spirits. One minute apart on that tweet. Nicely done. h/t to Eric Boehlert for making a very cogent point. As usual, too many in the mainstream media are working overtime (twisting themselves into pretzels) trying to find the negative angle to anything that President Obama is doing. Lately, it appears Rachel Maddow has gotten on board. The purists who still have a bug up their arses because (according to them) President Obama didn’t fight hard enough for the freaking public option are beyond infuriating. PBO does something that five previous presidents tried to do for healthcare reform and they complain about the public option. All I can say is talk to the hand.

• January 9, 2013 at 10:53 am

We are once again in sync, LH.

People get paid to go on teevee and make noise. It’s been take to brand new heights with this POTUS because he is an “other” and the RWNJs pay the bills. So a whole lot of nothing going on in American media except destruction. And America suffers greatly for it.

• 177 theo67
        January 9, 2013 at 2:41 pm

The reality is that none of those who are screeching for the public option would have even taken the public option. 80% of all insurance holders get their insurance from their employer. Most of the screechers didn’t even have the facts around the public option, or the fact that only 5% of the public would have qualified for the public option. And they ignore and spit on the value that the bill gives to 100% of Americans, because someone told them that this one thing was the one thing they couldn’t have.

I heard one person on NPR this morning repeatedly asking why California health insurance rates had increased – despite the repeated statement from the person being interviewed that the health care law had not yet come into effect. They also ignored the limitations put on the health care law to give authority to state inspectors or to the HHS Secretary, for fear of a “government takeover of healthcare”. Now, they want to complain about those same restrictions.

These people are why it’s so hard to tackle difficult problems – they only complain, and they don’t offer practical alternatives, or do the work to get the first step passed and then try for the second step. If it’s not all solved in the first step, without them having to lift a single finger, then it’s not worth doing. Look at the entitlement reform battle. The left spends a lot of energy demanding not a single change to entitlement programs, all the while complaining about the exploding costs. But, do they offer any ideas or practical plans? No. Just complaints and threats. It’s exhausting.

• 178 Bill R.
      January 9, 2013 at 12:00 pm

The NYT has shown itself to be an unprincipled, agenda-driven media outlet like nearly all the rest, lacking in the journalistic integrity they try to claim. The agenda of the moment drives the story, not the facts.

40. January 9, 2013 at 10:46 am

41. January 9, 2013 at 10:51 am

Hey Chips, done with that cold show?

42. 195 57andfemale
    January 9, 2013 at 11:05 am

I’m infuriated by these rich restaurant chain owners, thinking it’s okay to shift all health care costs for their employees to the taxpayer. What the hell has happened to this country?

43. January 9, 2013 at 11:10 am

Soon, expected and predicted, two or three prominent Republicans will come out and block Jack Lew unless he states he wants entitlement cuts. Bet?

January 9, 2013 at 11:18 am

Interesting.

January 9, 2013 at 11:30 am

46. January 9, 2013 at 11:36 am

good morning chipsitcks TOD, I see I wasnt the only one upset about the B.S. article by Ezra’s wife last nite.

47. January 9, 2013 at 11:43 am

I dont know if Politico changed headlines or re-wrote this piece I read last nite but they have a nasty headline about the poet “Obama poet’s ‘queer shame’ pain”

48. January 9, 2013 at 11:44 am

49. 211 anniebella
    January 9, 2013 at 11:44 am

That PPP poll of Republicans is crap, and the purpose of such a poll is what. We already know most Republicans hate this President because he is black. Let’s see if PPP will do a poll about that, and if they can get the Republicans to admit the truth. There is no more Acorn, so how could they help steal anything.

January 9, 2013 at 11:55 am

But I guess these Republicans has lost all common sense, that’s what happen when you allow hate to guide you.

50. January 9, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Such good stuff in your post today, Chips. I am going to go back and read it all. By the time I get up on the left coast, you guy are already waaay ahead of me.

• 215 HZ
      January 9, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Morning Chips and TOD Family. Thanks again for our beautiful family and beautiful haven. One Big Thank You, Mr. President for being in the Oval Office for all Americans. We appreciate you, and we really do support you here within our TOD family.

A loving hello and lots of hugs to our lovely CTGirl.(((((((((((((((( Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers and meditative thoughts for a sweet fragrance to surround you and your dear friends.)))))))))))HZ

RSS Steve Benen