Jan

Rise and Shine

Ooooh, it’s nearly time again – get all the latest news at the Inauguration website

USA Today: President Obama’s second inaugural? There’s now an app for that. The Presidential Inauguration Committee plans to announce Monday it has created an iPhone and Android app that enables people to follow next week’s events as Obama is sworn in for a second term.

The app will provide livestream video of inaugural events, including the Jan. 21 swearing-in ceremony. There are also schedules for nationwide events associated with the inauguration, including the National Day of Service on Saturday.

More here

Update: President Obama will hold a news conference at 11:15 a.m. today

Today:

11:0: VP Biden meets with Members of the House of Representatives

12:0: Jay Carney briefs the press

2:30: The President and VP meet with Secretary of State Clinton

3:0: President Obama participates in an Ambassador Credentialing Ceremony (closed press) – Ambassadors from Poland, Japan, Zambia, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Paraguay, Tuvalu, Maldives and Mexico will attend

TPM: Vice President Joe Biden is scheduled to meet with House Democrats’ task force to reduce gun violence at 11 a.m. ET Monday. The House members joining Biden are: Rep. Mike Thompson (CA), Rep. Bobby Scott (VA), Rep. Chaka Fattah (PA), Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (NY), Rep. Jackie Speier (CA), Rep. Elizabeth Esty (CT),  Rep. William Enyart (IL), Rep. Ed Perlmutter (CO), Rep. Bennie Thompson (MS), Rep. John Conyers (MI), Rep. John Dingell (MI), Rep. Ron Barber (AZ).

Attorney General Eric Holder, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano will also attend the meeting in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building.

NBC: Newtown Police Chief Michael Kehoe has a message for the White House: “Ban assault weapons, restrict those magazines that so have so many bullets in them, shore up any loopholes in our criminal background checks,” he said in an exclusive interview with NBC News.

As Vice President Joe Biden prepares to present his gun violence proposals to the White House this week, the residents of Newtown — including first responders and some families of the victims — are speaking out on gun policy for the first time.

Few have a more personal connection to the issue than Kehoe: He was one of the first on the scene at the Sandy Hook Elementary School ….   as a veteran law enforcement officer, what was most striking to Kehoe was that the gunman, 20-year-old Adam Lanza, had heavier firepower than Kehoe and his officers. The police had Glock pistols with 14-round magazines;  Lanza had a Bushmaster assault-style rifle, two handguns and multiple 30-round magazines that allowed him to squeeze off an estimated 150 shots….

More here

Washington Post: Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley will seek to institute some of the nation’s strictest gun-licensing requirements, ban assault weapons and restrict visitor access to schools in one of the most expansive government responses sought to last month’s school shooting in Newtown, Conn.

Perhaps most controversially, O’Malley (D) will ask the General Assembly to force prospective gun owners to provide fingerprints to state police, complete a hands-on weapon-familiarization and gun-safety course, and undergo a background check to be licensed.

And the governor is seeking new measures to keep guns out of the hands of those with mental illness who show violent tendencies…..

Full article here

Read Steve Benen here

TPM: The White House’s weekend ultimatum that Congress either lift the debt ceiling cleanly or take responsibility for default puts Republicans in a bind over their goal of reforming entitlement programs.

In ruling out all executive options, such as minting a high-value platinum coin, the White House put the onus on congressional Republicans to agree to raise the nation’s borrowing limit — without spending cuts or strings attached — or permit the first ever credit default. President Obama has steadfastly rebuffed their calls to cut social spending in exchange for raising the debt ceiling, and Democratic leaders support his position.

More here

MoooOOoooOOorning!

174 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 proudmemberofglobalzero
    January 14, 2013 at 8:33 am

Good Morning TOD!!

January 14, 2013 at 8:33 am

One week more! Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening, TODobots! It would be great if we could maintain today’s Washington temperatures, or even improve on them next Monday!

3. 23 Dudette
    January 14, 2013 at 8:34 am

Good Morning!!

4. January 14, 2013 at 8:36 am

G’morning Chips, TOD, lurkers, etc & Happy Monday! :)

Excellent mishmash Chips – thanks.

5. 27 Dudette
    January 14, 2013 at 8:37 am

Gorgeous post Chips! Good Gettin’ Up Morning To You!!

January 14, 2013 at 8:38 am
    January 14, 2013 at 8:38 am

Go Gov Malloy. Finally a pol with some bones.

January 14, 2013 at 8:45 am

I would rather see MD Gov Martin O’Malley as President in 2017 than that fake “No Labels” corporate backed Republican group.

• 35 Bill
        January 14, 2013 at 9:04 am

Anything Joe Mansion and Jon Huntsman are promoting together is to be avoided.

• 36 Dudette
        January 14, 2013 at 9:07 am

Yep! Me too!

• 37 jackiegrumbacher
        January 14, 2013 at 9:22 am

Ditto that 1000 times, HF. If O’Malley succeeds, I would seriously consider moving to Maryland. It’s close by and seems a million
        times saner than this area of PA. Since PA has been living with an absolutely rotten and corrupt governor for two years, I’ve come to appreciate how much a good governor can change the whole feel of a state. On a state level, the difference between someone like the execrable Corbett in PA and O’Malley in DC is like the difference between GWB and PBO.

January 14, 2013 at 8:40 am

An Inauguration Ap? NOW, for the first time, I’m interested in finding out what all this ‘Ap’ fuss is about. Another bit around which to wrap my befuddled mind. Boy, PBO’s team sure is dragging me into the 21st century, protesting all the way. :lol:

January 14, 2013 at 8:42 am

That’s right VC. I’m definitely getting the Ap. With PBO there’s no staying behind – it’s #Forward!

January 14, 2013 at 8:51 am

‘Morning, Hopef! Is my breakfast on the table? I’ll be there in a jiffy if all is already ready.

• January 14, 2013 at 8:53 am

:shock: What am I missing here?

Mooooooooooooorning VC!!

January 14, 2013 at 8:58 am

Nothing, slowpoke! I’m just being my usual troublesome friendly self. Nothing wrong with social chit chat, is there? :lol: :lol:

• January 14, 2013 at 9:02 am

Why was troublesome crossed out???????? :lol:

January 14, 2013 at 9:07 am

Well, I’m trying to be truthful. I haven’t caused any trouble since .. [o lord, this just popped into my head :lol: ] ..since I ‘lured’ that pervert here to ask for my number!!!

• January 14, 2013 at 9:17 am

Ugh, don’t remind me of your friend!!!

January 14, 2013 at 9:28 am

This is what bugs me about my aging memory – it throws the weirdest things at me at the most unexpected times! :roll: Not to worry, Chiparoo, as I said, I’m on my best behaviour this week.

• 49 theo67
                  January 14, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Goodness – I stepped away to get a bit of a life, and I’ve clearly missed a ton of stuff! When did all this happen?! 8O

January 14, 2013 at 5:39 pm

See, T, you can’t blink for too long or too often if you want to be ‘au courant’ on this blog! You’ve got to be on site and keep your eyes open. ;) Seriously it’s so long ago that all I remember is that some joker was asking Ms Chips for my and Amk’s contact info (since we were both so charming, I’d guess :roll: ), and s/he had some other tidbits to share about which Chips, in motherly indignation, covered our eyes & ears. I had totally forgotten about it, until I promised to stay out of trouble. You see, at the time, mother Chips sternly asked where had I been and what had I been up to to attract said attention and if I remember correctly, hinted at my need to stay out of trouble. :roll: Can you imagine? /angelic smilie/

• 51 theo67
                      January 14, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Goodness! Be careful out there, VC. There are some real loons surfing the internetz.

January 14, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Oh, I’m careful, and that time Mama Chips was right there with one hand on hip and the other with a brush away motion and a ‘Shoo! Shoo! Get lost’ message. I don’t think s/he ever came back.

What’s with that new pink outfit your are wearing in the current thread? You are forever shaking up my eyes with these non-seasonal changes in dress. Have a heart for the visually challenged.

• 53 theo67
                      January 14, 2013 at 10:52 pm

I was tempted while out and waiting for something, so I thought I’d check in to TOD. It must not have recognized that it was really me… But, I’m back to normal now. After the inauguration, I need a new avatar – still scoping…

January 14, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Oh, okay. You forgot, ‘yield not to temptation’, eh?

January 14, 2013 at 8:54 am

Yes I’ve set a place for you. Freshly brewed coffee, orange juice, oatmeal, pancakes, eggs, french toast, canadian bacon, sausage, bagels, smoked salmon, tomato & cucumber salad, steamed carrots, and lots more.

• 63 cindysweatt
        January 14, 2013 at 9:10 am

I tried to get the app. Couldn’t find it yet. Keep us posted. There is a big chance that I have no idea how to get it. If someone has gotten it let me know. I am all packed and ready to go. I leave very early Wed. morning. I will spend a week with my daughter. We are going to have so much fun going to see the inauguration. I wish everyone could be there. This is history! I just love love love this President. Fifty years from now my grandchildren will be making a mint with all my Obama collection.

9. 72 Dudette
    January 14, 2013 at 8:40 am

Puling this from the previous thread.

Arrgh!

January 14, 2013 at 8:43 am

What the hell is this hag’s problem with our President?

• 74 Dudette
        January 14, 2013 at 9:08 am

I don’t know. Maybe she needs an enema or something.

January 14, 2013 at 9:21 am

Mitchell is puffed up more by her colleagues than she really is credible, IMO. Then again, a lot of the Washington crowd seem to be held in place by their own and their colleagues inflated ideas of them. That’s one reason they are so down on this President – he does not subscribe to their inflated notions of their importance and he does little to add to their sense of superiority – like hobnobbing with them.

January 14, 2013 at 9:27 am

Who is the hag Mrs. Greenspan or Sen. Shaheen?

January 14, 2013 at 9:30 am

By the way, any woman who is not happy who work at the WH can QUIT, and maybe Mrs. Alan Greenspan has a great job for them.

January 14, 2013 at 10:15 am

That’s a good point, Annieb. I’m sure there would be no shortage of more appreciative women to do their jobs. That’s a point worth sharing widely if the opportunity presents itself again.

January 14, 2013 at 10:00 am

No Dudette, Mr. Greenspan is the one who looks like he needs that..

• 80 Vicki
        January 14, 2013 at 9:15 am

Same problem almost the entire MSM/GOP has with POTUS: President Obama puts his people before profits. They know PBO’s decisions will reflect his long long term thinking about what’s best for the country Not the 1%.

Two random comments this morning. I don’t know if anyone here will agree but my all-time favorite FLOTUS dress is the white one-shoulder Inaugural ballgown. Cannot wait to see this Inauguration dress.

And when any TOD person starts to doubt that there will be action on gun violence please try to remember in the dark days of the ACA fight even our allies like Lawrence OD were calling Obamacare Dead On Arrival. Not a good idea to bet against our President.

January 14, 2013 at 9:26 am

Morning Vicki (my namesake)! Re the dress, my all-time favourite is the black number she wore in England, the black one shoulder dress at the NAACP Awards, the royal blue gown, the colourful off-the-shoulder blouse, the…… ;) ;)

• 82 Dudette
          January 14, 2013 at 10:18 am

Right on Vicki!

On the dress though, while I thought she was stunning in the Jason Wu 2009 Inaug gown, it wasn’t quite my favorite.
          I love how Naeem Khan’s gowns just make her sparkle. My two favorites (I honestly can’t choose between them):

the one she work for their first State Dinner (with the Prime Minister of India

this one from last years Governors Ball in Feburary

• 83 jackiegrumbacher
      January 14, 2013 at 9:12 am

Imagine this over privileged, excessively overpaid, incompetent woman suggesting that she speaks for “women.” I’d like to meet the one woman in this world who identifies with this witch and thinks she reflects her views. Women love and support PBO, Andrea, and unlike you, they have the good sense to see when he’s being slandered. You don’t have the brains, clout or personality to change anyone’s mind.

• 84 carolmaewy
      January 14, 2013 at 11:06 am

You deserve a gold star for the tweet.

• 85 HZ
        January 14, 2013 at 4:54 pm

A triple Gold Star indeed. Beautifully stated, jackiegrumbacher. I love your energy of speaking the power to your thoughts and words. Thank you very much.(((( Love you))))HZ

10. 87 dotster3
    January 14, 2013 at 8:46 am
    January 14, 2013 at 8:54 am

Good round-up of news. I’m glad that Gov. O’Malley is pursuing very strict gun safety measures because any life lost at the hand of such a violent weapon is an affront to a civilized society. He’s making the point that even if/when the federal government passes gun safety laws, states will still have to step in and make sure their state and local government does the same. Without a 50 state strategy or some acknowledgment from states that having lax gun and assault weapons loopholes makes a neighboring state less safe, the work becomes even more harder. If one state has comprehensive gun control laws and another state does not, it puts everyone in danger, allows illegal weapons to roam free on the market, and tears at the fabric of society. It’s going to be a long slug but worth it in the end.

12. 89 dotster3
    January 14, 2013 at 8:56 am

It is encouraging to see many of this type of letter appearing in local papers across the country—-ordinary citizens speaking out on the gun issue. As this writer reminds—-out of a U.S. population of 315 million, the NRA represents 1.2% of the population and should not be able to mandate anything, should not be able to control our gun laws.

13. 90 Japa21
    January 14, 2013 at 8:59 am

Good morning fellow TODers. I was offline for the weekend. Anything interesting happen?

I was just thinking this morning that a nightmare for manyRepublicans is going to come true next Monday when PBO gets inaugurated for a second time.

But, it would have been a far worse nightmare for the entire country if it was Willard taking the oath of office. The next four years (heck the next four weeks) will be tough due to the continued efforts of the GOP to do anything it can to obstruct anything positive happening in this country. But we have the leadership in place to get us through these tough times ahead. And we have the backs of those working on our behalf.

• January 14, 2013 at 9:01 am

Morning Japa. You know, there was a time, being the gloomy type, that I all I could picture was Romney being inaugurated, it was the worst of nightmares. And now here we are, just a week away from PBO’s second inauguration – still pinching myself. Happy days.

January 14, 2013 at 8:59 am

Adele’s Golden Globes speech was one of the best last night. Genuine shock and happiness. It made me crack up even more when they flashed to Taylor Swift when she realized Adele, not her won. The evil eye she gave Adele means she’ll be penning another whiny song soon.

15. 95 lovingandlaughing
    January 14, 2013 at 9:00 am

Good morning TODers! I had high hopes of going to this inauguration, but alas I will not be there in person. I am very much looking forward to the watching the party online though!

• 96 cindysweatt
      January 14, 2013 at 9:13 am

You will be able to see better. I watched on t.v. last time and sat and blubbered through the whole thing.

January 14, 2013 at 9:00 am

A ten year-old Jewish boy was failing math. His parents tried everything from tutors to hypnosis; but to no avail.

Finally, at the insistence of a family friend, they decided to enroll their son in a private Catholic school.

After the first day, the boy’s parents were surprised when he walked in after school with a stern, focused and very determined expression on his face. He went straight past them, right to his room and quietly closed the door.

For nearly two hours he toiled away in his room with math books strewn about his desk and the surrounding floor. He emerged long enough to eat, and after quickly cleaning his plate, went straight back to his room, closed the door and worked feverishly at his studies until bedtime.

This pattern of behavior continued until it was time for the first quarter’s report card. The boy walked in with it unopened, laid it on the dinner table, and went straight to his room. Cautiously, his mother opened it and, to her amazement, she saw a large red ’A’ under the subject of Math. Overjoyed, she and her husband rushed into their son’s room, thrilled at his remarkable progress.

“Was it the nuns that did it?” the father asked. The boy shook his head and said, “No.”

“Was it the one-to-one tutoring? The peer-mentoring?” “No.” “The textbooks? The teachers? The curriculum?” “No”, said the son.

“On that first day, when I walked in the front door and saw that guy nailed to the Plus Sign, I KNEW they meant business!”

January 14, 2013 at 9:02 am

A small farm boy was milking his cow when all of a sudden a bull came charging towards him.

As horrified workers nearby watched, the boy calmly continued his milking.

To everyone’s astonishment, the bull stopped a few inches from the boy, turned around and walked away .

“Weren’t you afraid?”one of the workers asked the boy.

“Not at all,” the boy replied. “I knew this cow was his mother-in-law.”

18. 102 anniebella
    January 14, 2013 at 9:20 am

Newtown Police chief need to have that message to those cowards in Congress also., Democrats and Republicans. If there are any parents of those 20 kids kill in Newtown who feel that these assault guns need to be ban, then we need them to fine the strength from some where and come forward and start speaking up and out. Because the NRA don’t give a dam what happen to those kids, and the NRA has Congress in it’s hip pocket.

19. January 14, 2013 at 9:22 am

Good Morning, Everyone :)

20. January 14, 2013 at 9:23 am

For all my fellow Downton Abbey fans…

My poor Edith :(

and FREE BATES!!

21. January 14, 2013 at 9:24 am

President Obama to hold news conference today, what’s that about?

22. January 14, 2013 at 9:29 am

Toodle doo yous!!! Another great getting up day at the intersection of TOD and O! PBO to have another press conference at 11:15est today. I must have missed something. I didn’t know he had anything going on for today. Of course, I’ll take him anywhere, anytime, for any reason.

January 14, 2013 at 9:31 am

High levels of pollution in northern China and the capital, Beijing, in recent days prompt calls for government action in state and social media.

Wasn’t this model of gobinment that the thugs were citing as ideal?

January 14, 2013 at 9:36 am
    January 14, 2013 at 9:53 am

THE ENTIRE COUNTRY NEEDS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS> RIGHT NOW!!!

One Month After Newtown Shooting, NRA Releases Shooting Game App With Coffin-Shaped Targets

Game??? Game??? Are they FUCKING KIDDING ME!

26. 140 xtine
    January 14, 2013 at 9:59 am

[Awwww!]:

President Obama and Vice President Joe Biden have had a private luncheon together at the White House almost every week–barring holidays and foreign travel–since 2009, and today they will have their final pow-wow of the first term. [.....] Today’s luncheon will be at 12:30 PM in the Oval Office Private Dining Room.

The next time the President and Vice President are scheduled to dine together is on the second day of their second term in office. On Monday, Jan. 21, following the swearing-in ceremony, they will feast on lobster tail, bison tenderloin, and apple pie at the Inaugural Luncheon in Statuary Hall at the US Capitol, hosted by the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies.

27. 145 xtine
    January 14, 2013 at 10:04 am

[Hoo-boy!!!]:

This is what happens when one very delusional, very opportunistic grifter makes more money than he knows what to do with thanks to easily-tricked disciples who willingly endorse his madness. Yes, Glenn Beck is building an amusement park called — what else? — Independence Park.

But he’s pitching it to be much more than a roadside tourist trap with a tilt-a-whirl, concessions and skeeball. Beck and his ridiculous imagineers want their herd of followers to believe it’s a real city — their own version of Ayn Rand’s “Galt’s Gulch,” a place that’s entirely divorced from the rules of American society, yet it ironically claims to be a facility for elevating the Beck version of American values and teaching it to suckers who pay the price of admission.

Realistically, it’s a monument to the conservative entertainment complex.

On his website, Beck released a series of videos in which he unveiled his Disneyland, and when I watched each of them, I felt like I was observing the meandering schemes of a mental patient who impulsively scrawled his manifesto onto the walls of his padded room using his own feces.

More here: http://thedailybanter.com/2013/01/welcome-to-glenn-becks-grifter-theme-park/

28. January 14, 2013 at 10:14 am

What do you think the President should say and needs to do in the debt limit? And what do you think he should say? And so on and so forth.
    And now we got To Rep Marsha Blackburn? What do you think the President should say?
    Ugh!

29. 147 xtine
    January 14, 2013 at 10:16 am

More pics from yesterday’s rehearsal. I didn’t realize the rehearsal was such a complex thing otherwise I’d have come downtown & taken pics!

30. January 14, 2013 at 10:21 am

LaHood is expected to attend the North American International Auto Show, which is scheduled to begin on Monday. He is also expected to return later in the week to announce a funding grant for a proposed light-rail development in Detroit.

The proposal is a 3.4-mile combination of light rail and street cars officials in Detroit say will revitalize the city’s downtown areas. LaHood is expected to announce that the DOT will provide $25 million for the project, which is known as M-1.

The Hill-

31. January 14, 2013 at 10:32 am
  32. January 14, 2013 at 10:53 am
  33. January 14, 2013 at 11:03 am

According to Knoller, PBO’s presser delayed until 11:30.

34. January 14, 2013 at 11:09 am
    January 14, 2013 at 11:10 am

But but but Andrea Mitchell told me that women are not happy….