Jan

This and That

Greg Sargent: So the big story of the day is that House Tea Partyers are vowing up and down that they may be willing to allow the country to default on its obligations to prove to Obama how serious they are about cutting spending.

Today, at his presser, Obama reiterated that there will be no negotiating over the debt ceiling….

…. even more so than the fiscal cliff battle, this year’s debt ceiling fight is shaping up as a kind of epic final confrontation — perhaps the Tea Party’s last chance to force Obama to do what the what American people emphatically declared in the election that don’t want, i.e., solve the country’s fiscal problems primarily by dramatically shrinking government, unraveling the safety net, and sparing the rich more sacrifice. And while we should reserve judgment until we see what happens in the end, Obama is certainly behaving like someone who is determined to break the Tea Party once and for all.

Full post here

Charles Pierce: …  Today’s action-packed episode is another in their continuing series: Stuff Republicans Tell Us That We Will Print Verbatim….

In this installment, our intrepid gumshoes manage to pry loose quotes from various vandals and dumbasses … to the effect that they have every intention of blowing up the American economy over the next few weeks if they don’t get absolutely everything they absolutely want. (There are drug gangs in Mexico who are more open to negotiations than these people.) ….

…. Presented with a clear example of how the Republicans have become demented …. Politico instead presents this information merely as a threat to the speakership of John Boehner, as though that’s all that’s at risk here. (This problem might have been solved if the two newshounds had talked to, you know, Democrats, but this is Politico, and y’all know better than that) ….

Full post here

Photo by Democratic Underground – read about it at ThinkProgress

NYT: Several parents whose children were killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting joined the national debate on gun violence on Monday, gathering to begin sketching their response to the massacre by helping start a nonprofit organization intended to help prevent the kind of bloodshed that turned this quaint New England community into a national symbol of grief.

In some of their first public statements since the Dec. 14 shooting that killed 20 children and 6 staff members at the school, the families of 11 of the children and adult victims appeared at a news conference and called for a national dialogue around issues of mental health, school safety and what their organization, called Sandy Hook Promise, described as “gun responsibility.”

Full article here

ThinkProgress

Steve Benen: Though much of the right has been unhappy with Vice President Biden’s task force on gun violence, an unscripted comment Biden made last week caused conservatives to ring the alarm even more aggressively …. “The president is going to act. There are executive orders, executive action that can be taken….”

…. the right, without having seen the still-unwritten orders, accused President Obama of taking dictatorial actions on guns without congressional approval…

…. The fact that Bush/Quayle administration issued an executive order on guns, within its legal authority, did not mean the then-president had seized authoritarian power in a bloodless coup …. So can we stop pretending perfectly legal executive orders are evidence of creeping tyranny?

Full post here

….. meanwhile:

TPM

:roll:

Greg Sargent: Yep: The NRA represents an extreme worldview. A new Post poll finds that 65 percent of Americans support banning high capacity magazine clips; 58 percent support an assault weapons ban; and a whopping 88 percent support closing the gun show loophole.

Also: 89 percent of Republicans support closing that loophole, and 69 percent of Republicans support requiring background checks on those buying gun ammunition.

Meanwhile, a new Pew poll finds solid to overwhelming majorities support background checks, a federal gun-tracking database, and bans on assault weapons and high capacity magazine clips….

More here

Pierce was in spectacularly excellent form today:

Charles Pierce: The voices inside the head of Washington Post blogger Jennifer Rubin are unanimous in their dislike for Chuck Hagel … I think this is an unusual display of harmony for the voices inside Jennifer Rubin’s head since, during the presidential campaign just past, all the voices in Jennifer Rubin’s head had different opinions regarding Willard Romney. Was he merely awesome? Super awesome? Super-duper awesome? Super-duper-infinity awesome? Or was he a steaming super-duper-infinity awesome hunk of brilliantly coiffed man-meat who could make the bobsleds run on time while hitting Lady Liberty’s G-spot until she crooned “Columbia, The Gem Of The Ocean.” Now, though, all the voices hate Chuck Hagel. It must be a lot quieter around Rubin’s ears these days….

Full post here (thanks Susanne)

312 Responses to “This and That”

1. January 14, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Way to go, Carol!!!

The more I think about it ….

• 8 carolmaewy
      January 14, 2013 at 7:18 pm

They don’t even take his calls on election night. Our press corps is a mess. Thanks Chips for providing the video online. My TV had a moment of testing. And also the rundown of the stupid questions the WHPC asked. I’ll just sit back back and read.

• 9 Chi
      January 15, 2013 at 2:14 am

The whole President Obama won’t ‘socialize’ meme is so weird, disingenuous, disrespectful and terribly irritating especially seeing that if the election had gone differently and we were given a ‘President’ Romney, this same media would have endlessly fawned over and marveled at Mitt’s ‘discipline’ and how great and devoted a husband he is…

Where the media now insists on unilaterally making decisions about and scheduling President Obama’s personal and social life – never mind that the President has a wife who obviously isn’t allowed any say in all of this…

The same media would never have questioned and only lauded a ‘President’ Romney for staying true to his very disciplined and faith-based personal life and routine…

There would be no alcohol served at White House events, he and Ann would be in bed by 8:30pm and the entire media would swoon again and again at how the very disciplined Mitt Romney is one of very few men who could without equivocation, look you in the eye and tell you that he’s never had a drop of alcohol and never cheated on his wife…

If you were wondering, that last tidbit was actually divulged as part of a profile done on Mitt Romney during the last presidential campaign…

It would have been seen only as a positive and a sign of character, strength, discipline, focus and of course, great family values…And the entire media and punditry would have constantly hailed him and respected his personal lifestyle choices – which would be completely off limits…

I wish President Obama would stop indulging or reacting to or offering to rearrange his personal family time in response to such vile questions that only serve to open him, his wife and family life and habits up to such disrespect, scrutiny and mockery…

Even in the White House, they are still very much entitled to personal time and what they choose to do with it, should not be dictated or influenced by a manipulative media, punditry and politicians looking to insinuate themselves into the lives of the family that occupies the White House…

I just signed in and my entire newsfeed is littered with stupid headlines blaring about ‘lonely Obama sad, alone and bored in big house’ with links to tweets about it and hashtags ‘ObamaNeedsFriends’ spear-headed by that wonderfully ‘liberal-progressive’ advocate for women Ana Marie Cox…

The whole thing just infuriates me to no end…

This is madness…

• 10 prettyfoot58
        January 15, 2013 at 6:56 am

this is their not so subtle way of saying that PBO does not belong..that he is on the outside…that something is wrong with him…harking back to the accusations of the right…who call him the other….that he does not know what America is…etc

2. January 14, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Hey all…. How is everything? Fighting the nasty flu bug. It hurts….

January 14, 2013 at 7:10 pm

4. January 14, 2013 at 7:21 pm

OT: What happened with Network News? It was such a HOT show during the election? It seems to have fallen off the radar…….did the Chuck Todds and Tweeties get offended and demand that it be…wait for it…SQUASHED?

5. January 14, 2013 at 7:29 pm

A snippet from my new piece on TPV:

For those who wail at the odds stacked against the Democrats retaking the House in 2014, with estimates that Democrats would have to win the popular vote by 7%, a little bit of history: Democrats won the popular vote over the Republican Party by 52% to 44.1%, a winning margin of 7.9%. To say that a 7% margin is unattainable is to live in a state where losing is much easier than doing the work to win. The political climate is similar to 2006, with voters fed up with a “do nothing Congress”, Republican favorables in the teens, and a sense that the country is fundamentally broken due to GOP intransigence. I’m not downplaying the difficulty in achieving this; but we’ve been down this road in the not too distant past.

January 14, 2013 at 7:29 pm

7. 72 carolmaewy
    January 14, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Just saw My Favorite Martian with Dan McCovoy. Needed a little humor. But movie was kind of dumb. I want to scream at these so-called reporters and hear analysis. Think the Newsroom is on break. Similar to Homeland, etc.

January 14, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Chuck Todd is a useless noisy gong and clanging cymbal! #ChuckFail

9. January 14, 2013 at 7:37 pm

10. January 14, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I have to say this: Is our President handsome or what. I briefly saw him on television this afternoon at the press conference and he looks fab u lous!

11. January 14, 2013 at 7:56 pm

12. January 14, 2013 at 8:01 pm

13. 82 susanne
    January 14, 2013 at 8:02 pm

aloha chips~
    it was the ‘columbia the gem of the ocean’ part that really laid me out. :)

January 14, 2013 at 8:03 pm

A minister has just died and is standing in line waiting to be judged and admitted to Heaven.

While waiting he asks the man in front of him about himself. The man says, “I am a taxi driver from Noo Yok Siddy.”

Soon the angel standing at the gate calls out next, and the taxi driver steps up. The angel hands him a golden staff and a cornucopia of fruits, cheeses and wine and lets him pass. The taxi driver is quite pleased, and proceeds through the gates.

Next, the minister steps up to the angel and the angel hands him a wooden staff and some bread and water.

The minister is very concerned and asks the angel, “That guy is a taxi driver and gets a golden staff and a cornucopia! I spend my entire life as a minister and get nothing! How can that be?”

The angel replies, “Up here we judge on results—all of your people sleep through your sermons – in his taxi, they pray.”

• January 14, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Boooooooom! :-) Hello you.

• 85 amk for obama
        January 14, 2013 at 8:07 pm

GM chips. So how was the pc ? Loved your ‘glare’ pic in the last thread. Obama era has revealed two ‘glaring’ things about america. Ugly racism and uglier journalism.

• January 14, 2013 at 8:15 pm

They outdid themselves today Amk, it was the tone of Chuck Todd and Major Garrett in particular that was hard to take, but why should be be surprised? They were very chivalrous though, they allowed a lady ask the ‘diversity’ question – needless to say she was white.

January 14, 2013 at 8:09 pm

A woman accompanied her husband to the doctor’s office.

After his checkup, the doctor called the wife into his office alone. He said, “Your husband is suffering from a very severe stress disorder. If you don’t do the following, your husband will surely die.”

“Each morning, fix him a healthy breakfast. Be pleasant at all times. For lunch make him a nutritious meal. For dinner prepare an especially nice meal for him. Don’t burden him with chores. Don’t discuss your problems with him, it will only make his stress worse. No nagging. And most importantly, make love with your husband several times a week. If you can do this for the next 10 months to a year, I think your husband will regain his health completely.”

On the way home, the husband asked his wife. “What did the doctor say?”

“He said you’re going to die,” she replied.

16. 95 Dudette
    January 14, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Rham Emmanuel talks with Think Progress about the politics of gun law reform

• 96 Dudette
      January 14, 2013 at 8:14 pm

That’s “Rahm”… sorry for my typo

• 97 yardarm756
        January 14, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Dudette here in Chicago and Cook County, there are no gun shops. If you own one, you must be registered with the state as a firearm owner. I’ve gone through the process and it’s righteous. I can tell you that the weapons used by the ‘bangers’ here are either stolen or imported from Southern Illinois or down south in the red states. I have even heard of “Flea Markets” where you can purchase weapons out of the trunk of someones car.

17. 98 Dudette
    January 14, 2013 at 8:16 pm

• January 14, 2013 at 8:18 pm

“First bookless library”

Ooooh Dudette, you might just have ruined LL’s night!

• 100 Dudette
        January 14, 2013 at 8:28 pm

I know. I’m conflicted about it myself. But where things are going.

• January 14, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Well, I’ll never be happy Dudette. I hate the feel of cheapie book paper, it makes my fingers scream; but I can’t grow to love reading books on my iPad, because I can’t feel cheapie book paper. :???:

• January 14, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Much like 3D television, this will be a fad. Every 10 years the “death of the library” is heralded, and every 10 years it comes to nothing.

• 103 Dudette
            January 14, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Yeh, I’m not that keen on e-books either. I like holding the printed page in my hand too. I’ll even choose an an audiobook over an e-book. But I kinda like the idea of public funding that encourages people to learn/use technology. I’d like to see libraries keep both elements – traditional books and electronic.

• 105 amk for obama
        January 14, 2013 at 8:35 pm

I really would like to know LL’s reaction to e-books. Yesterday, I bought the latest grisham e-book, the racketeer, for about $3.50 while the paperback edition was priced at over $15.

• January 14, 2013 at 8:39 pm

I am a BIG proponent of ebooks. I have quite a ton of them myself, mostly because it’s a lot easier to carry around 2,000 books in your tablet than make space in your house for 2,000 physical books. But the physical books aren’t going away. I think there will be an equilibrium between the two. And most printed material won’t be published electronically as well.

• 107 Dudette
            January 14, 2013 at 8:42 pm

I’m with you LL.

• 109 amk for obama
            January 14, 2013 at 8:45 pm

I am a big ‘book-keeper’ myself with over a thousand books collection of fiction, non-fiction and engineering genre. Once I bought my kindle 3G two years back, haven’t spent a dime on the physical books. As you say, they do occupy quite a lot of space. And their preservation is a pita.

I see a future where physical books would become a collector’s item.

• January 14, 2013 at 9:04 pm

I wouldn’t go that far. But one casualty of the ebook will be the publishing industry. I’m giving serious thought to self-publishing once my novel is ready. Publishers are taking fewer and fewer chances on unknown authors, and while having that muscle behind you is nice, I’d rather get my book out in e-format, get a few sales, create a bit of buzz, and then if a publisher wants to take me on great.

• 111 amk for obama
                January 14, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I see plenty of new writers going that route. Most of their books are free or priced under a dollar. An analogy that comes to mind is the death of photo studios and fillum roles.

Best wishes for your writing career. I am sure you’ll be a hit.

• 114 Dudette
      January 14, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Seriously, lp. I think I felt the ground shake when I read that and I’m pretty sure there was a flash of lightning outside my window.

• January 14, 2013 at 8:38 pm

I am in a state of confusion and really do not not know where this going to lead me. I remember the big story about heart patients not getting transplants 2 years ago b/c she cut Medicaid. If you are going to literally be “heartless” then, what changed?

• 116 Dudette
          January 14, 2013 at 8:44 pm

After all the screaming and hollering, people that have to implement the system started actually looking at the numbers and realized that Obamacare is not the great evil the politicians/lobbyists claimed it was.

• January 14, 2013 at 8:54 pm

I think the reimbursement schedule for the ACA is 100% for the first 3yr. 95% 4/5yr. down to 90% after 10. So basically, If you are not ignorant you take almost free expansion, make it easier to balance your state budget, and lower premiums of state employees due funds not going toward hospital payments for uninsured. But I digress….

• 118 Theo67
        January 14, 2013 at 9:17 pm

I heard some “oinking” coming from the general direction of the sky…

January 14, 2013 at 8:32 pm

We’ll have to keep our fingers crossed and hope like hell the cryptkeeper doesn’t have a brain fart that shakes her back out of her senses.

January 14, 2013 at 8:25 pm

19. 122 Dudette
    January 14, 2013 at 8:27 pm

One thing to remember in all this GOP threat to not raise the debt ceiling: We only need 18 partially sane GOP House Reps to put the country first along with Dems and whole thing is moot.

• January 14, 2013 at 8:28 pm

“We only need 18 partially sane GOP House Reps”

Hmm, are there that many Dudette??

• 124 Dudette
        January 14, 2013 at 8:35 pm

85 of them gave the country a New Year’s Day present. [http://bit.ly/XgPd5H]
        Hopefully, 18-20 of them still prefer not to ruin the world economy.

• January 14, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Will Boehner even bring it to a vote? He’s such a coward.

• 126 amk for obama
        January 14, 2013 at 8:58 pm

The money boys will twist and break his wrists, if he doesn’t.

• January 14, 2013 at 9:06 pm

You betcha … and they’re not going to wait until March, either ;)

BTW, Dudette, agree with your assessment and it’s likely Speaker Pelosi knows exactly which Rs want to behave responsibly and the number is likely be quite a bit higher than 18.

• 128 Dudette
            January 14, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Hi Bob! Thanks! It’s easy to get caught up in the hyperbolics that the pundits whip up (I know it is for me)and forget the nut & bolts of it all — vote count. It helps to remember that nothing’s set in stone until the voting’s done. And even then there’s a reprieve or two left.

• 129 Dudette
        January 14, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Well, there’s the rub. Someone will need to get him drunk that day and bring a box of tissues.

• 130 jackiegrumbacher
      January 14, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Dudette, that really is the key. Even the Politico idiots said that HALF of the Republican House wanted to shut down the government, which means half don’t. If the Senate passed a clean bill and it could possibly get to the House floor it would pass. Maybe Nancy could resurrect her attempt to force a floor vote with 221 reps. She isn’t under such a tight end-of-the year deadline now and she has eight more Dems. I’m sure she’ll do whatever she can do not to sink the economy. Unlike Boehner, she’s a real patriot.

20. January 14, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Ok, library geek moment.

A patron comes to the desk just before my shift is over. He asks if I’ve heard of the Bhagavad Gita and if we have it in the library. I say “Of course I know what it is, and let’s go to the shelf to see if we own it.” So we go there, we find it, and then he asks me if I know anything about it. At which point I launch into how it is a part of a larger poem, the Mahabharata, which is the longest poem ever written. I go into the story of the Mahabharata, that it’s basically a story of a family feud which brings the world to a cataclysm, and that the Bhagavad Gita deals with the hero, Prince Arjuna, being unable to face all the death he’s about to cause to friends and family, and how Lord Krishna, who serves as his charioteer, gets him to face his responsibilities. Man, I felt like such an awesome, powerful geek. And now I’m going to have to trawl the internetz to see if I can find a copy of the RSC 9 hour production of the Mahabharata.

21. 146 donna dem 4 obama
    January 14, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Hello TOD!

Well, my son and D-I-L kidnapped me this weekend to make sure that I got complete rest and recovery :).

I feel 100% and tomorrow I will be checking out a place that may accommodate the growing crowd of TOD’ers that want to meet-up this weekend.

Be patient with me. I’ll be in touch real soon.

BTW – I just watched that Press Conference. I still hate our Media and I continue to love my President!!!!!!

22. January 14, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Love this:

January 14, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Is there no one who could be hired by the media to join the WHPC who’d be a real journalist? Anyone? Anyone?

• January 14, 2013 at 8:59 pm

That’s the thing Jacqueline, any real journalist couldn’t possibly get a senior job in the WHPC, it looks like the chief qualification is that you’re a GOP shill.

January 14, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Exactly. It didn’t “used to be” that way, but I guess any fairness and leveling of the playing field is gone — for at least another four years. Sad to say!

Oh, well, we gotta keep our chins up and our eyes on the prize, eh?

• 175 amk for obama
      January 14, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Excellent. RT’ed/

23. January 14, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Don’t look if you’re, eh, squeamish:

24. 186 susanne
    January 14, 2013 at 8:55 pm

‘The prime minister of Israel has been invited to speak at the conservative movement’s annual conference in March, the American Conservative Union announced Monday.

An appearance by Benjamin Netanyahu in his current role – he’s expected to win re-election later this month – would be certain to rekindle accusations that he’s seeking to play a spoiler role in domestic U.S. politics after coming under fire for appearing to support Mitt Romney in the 2012 election.
    ~
    Canadian Prime Minister Thomas Harper was also invited, but has reportedly turned down the offer.
    ~
    House Budget Committee chairman and former vice-presidential nominee Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) is the only invited speaker who has confirmed his appearance so far. ‘

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/global-affairs/middle-east-north-africa/277091-netanyahu-invited-to-speak-at-cpac#ixzz2I0N8KOBy

January 14, 2013 at 8:59 pm

I’m sure Paul Ryan could hold the crowd, if nobody else shows up. (And I laugh.)

• 188 susanne
        January 14, 2013 at 9:02 pm

best part of the whole article!

January 14, 2013 at 9:03 pm

I agree! He did such a good job for Repukes last time, I’m sure he’s being invited everywhere … and he’ll confirm … uh, especially if he’s the only name on the ticket. Ha!

• 190 lisalovesobama
      January 14, 2013 at 9:01 pm

:roll:

• 191 Sharon
      January 14, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Not your error–it was in the article–but the Prime Minister of Canada is “Stephen” Harper, not “Thomas” Harper. He and UK PM Cameron seem to be more rational than the present day American conservative politicians. Both work well with President Obama.

• January 14, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Hi Sharon – Cameron’s amazingly liberal on social issues (eg gay marriage) for a British conservative, which, of course, makes him hated by the right of the party and their buddies in the press. In that sense, he has absolutely nothing in common with the GOP, which is a helluva change for a Tory leader from, say, the Thatcher/Reagan love-in. (Although, on economic issues, he’s as bad as any of his predecessors).

January 14, 2013 at 9:05 pm

26. January 14, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Myrlie Evers-Williams

Q: Did you ever imagine as you worked with your husband Medgar Evers on civil rights that one day there would be a black president?

A: Of course, we all knew, we hoped, we worked, we prayed that one day there would be a man or a woman of African-American descent who would become the president of the United States of America. That has been a dream come true but if we look at the politics leading up to particularly his second term, there were blocks that came during this time of getting people to register and to vote that are reminiscent of some of those actions that took place 50 years ago to keep people of my race and others away from the polls.

27. 198 Dudette
    January 14, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Delaware AG Beau Biden coming up on Rachel Maddow to talk about gun policy reforms they’re working on in his state.

• 199 amk for obama
      January 14, 2013 at 9:17 pm

lovelyplains had a tweet about it.

• 201 susanne
      January 14, 2013 at 9:41 pm

well, i might watch her show, then. i’m leery, though. we all know she’s smart, and educated, and energetic, and well-read. but she seems to think she’s smarter etcetc than the president. sorry, rachel, your teevee show is on a grossly different scale from the presidency. show some respect.

January 14, 2013 at 9:21 pm

29. January 14, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Am I the only person who didn’t know for months and months that that blue dot on Twitter meant direct message? I just thought it was a pretty occasional decoration. :???:

30. January 14, 2013 at 9:30 pm

• 232 carolmaewy
      January 14, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Are you too young for the idiots of the Clinton impeachment? That’s when I think I started to dislike Tom Brokaw. He was in Cuba awaiting the first visit by a Pope. But flew back to D.C. to break the blue dress news. What a disgrace. Yes, these jerks are passing them to the bottom, but good grief. I’m sure they’ll be talking impeachment on Inauguration day. What if the Prez was a no-show at their precious WHCD? All that whiskey is making me mean.

31. 233 Dudette
    January 14, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Rachel’s interviewing the Matthews family lost one of the kids in the Sandy Hook shooting.

January 14, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I am watching the interview Rachel is doing with one of the family who lost a child in the Newtown killing. I listen to that family, and it just makes me so dam sick of the people who are talking about their rights to own guns, those darn idiots. What about those kids rights to be safe. I am fed up with politicians whose soul is bought by folks like the NRA. What about fighting for these kids and if you were to lose your job in D.C., so what, you may gain so much more.

32. January 14, 2013 at 9:37 pm

A question every American must answer ….

January 14, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Yes the nation is quiet because they’re black. The MSM, folks like Mrs. Greenspan, Ezra Klein, Chuck Todd, are to busy trying to tell us that this President don’t believe in hiring women.

• 238 isonprize
      January 14, 2013 at 11:18 pm

THIS ^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^ and MORE THIS ^^^^^^

And, I’m searching for the “gun ban” that the NRA supported. You know, the one that involved Black Panthers with guns…

33. 239 Ladyhawke
    January 14, 2013 at 9:45 pm

WHAT BOOMAN SAID.

By Booman Tribune

——————————————-

George Packer’s article in The New Yorker about the increasing isolation of the South is interesting, but I wonder why I never see anyone mention how the GOP is just a constant annoying source of unnecessary stress for everyone. I mean it is completely unceasing. In Obama’s term it has been unrelenting obstruction, hallucinatory insults, and manufactured crises. ‘
    I woke up when they impeached Bill Clinton. And I don’t think I’ve felt a moment’s peace since then. Not one single goddamn day has gone by since 1998 when the right wasn’t doing or saying something that I found stressful.

———————————————-

January 14, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Messed with firefox internals. Almost doubled the speed. Waiting for the inevitable system crash.

35. 247 carolmaewy
    January 14, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Oh, the pain in Mrs. Wheeler’s eyes. I could feel it.

• 248 Ladyhawke
      January 14, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Two amazing human beings. I am in awe of the dignity and grace they are displaying in this interview. It rips your heart out. What a powerful discussion with Ben’s parents. And his brother Nat, what can I say. I can’t imagine the pain. So sad.

January 14, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Kumbh Mela: ‘Eight million’ bathers on first day of festival.

37. January 14, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Gonna get some sleep, night everyone, see you tomorrow.

38. 263 LDS
    January 14, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Chips, sweet sleep.
    This YES! was meant for Bobfr’s tweet up above.
    All kids are precious……their parents are in pain.
    I pray for their peace, healing comfort and strength as well.
    Thank you Bobfr for being bold and caring to tweet this. Another reason why I respect you so much…you are fair.

• January 14, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Thank you, friend. Hundreds of children have been wounded or killed by guns since the #SandyHookMassacre … we must remember each of them, every day and be unrelenting in stopping as much of the senseless #GunViolence as we can.

Yes We Can

39. January 14, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Simply ….

40. January 14, 2013 at 10:28 pm

For those who’ve never seen Peter Brook’s masterpiece “The Mahabharata”, you can find it here: http://www.youtube.com/user/spiritointelligenteX/videos?view=0

They’re subtitled in Italian, but the dialogue is in English.

January 14, 2013 at 10:30 pm

42. 269 vitaminlover
    January 14, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Has anyone ever noticed that whenever Chuckie Todd asks my President a question (usually a dumb one) that he gets smacked and when he runs out of the press conference over to Chris Matthews or whomever that he looks like he just got the doo doo knocked out of him?

January 14, 2013 at 10:31 pm

44. January 14, 2013 at 10:42 pm

45. January 14, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Talk about sick irony …

46. 277 Pamela
    January 14, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Catching up a bit late tonight, so much to read and absorb. Lurking more than commenting today, lot on my mind. Goodnight everyone! Sweet dreams!

January 14, 2013 at 11:28 pm

48. 281 joyfulmeme
    January 14, 2013 at 11:37 pm

I just got the opportunity to watch PBO’s presser today. He was fabulous. He was strong, direct, very clear on where he stood and handled the jackals with great skill. He looked really good doing it too. Gosh! He looked really good! Game On.

49. 283 yardarm756
    January 14, 2013 at 11:38 pm

January 14, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Sure, what does ol’ Marsha care? It might only impact our military, federal workers, seniors, the economy, the stock market … unimportant stuff like that. She or one of her gumbahs said earlier that it’s just so the Tea Party crowd knows “their” side in Congress is listening to them. Great way to make decisions, Marsha. Please take a moment and KM-Democratic-A.

50. 290 yardarm756
    January 15, 2013 at 12:00 am

January 15, 2013 at 3:46 am

I listen to that pro gun guy, Rev. Al had on his show, who was talking about Martin L. King Jr. If Rev. MLK would have been pro gun then why is it during those marches when they were facing the water hoses, the dogs, the racists police, why is it that the marchers marching didn’t have guns? There is a reason Rev. MLK call it non-violent. It’s clear that guy didn’t know a darn thing about Rev. King.

51. 292 yardarm756
    January 15, 2013 at 12:11 am

It’s about time for another thread unless Chips is body surfing again. :-D

52. 297 majiir
    January 15, 2013 at 12:16 am

Quite awesome: “People from the Indian sub-continent migrated to Australia and mixed with Aborigines 4,000 years ago, bringing the dingo dog with them, according to a study published on Tuesday. The continent was thought to have been isolated from other populations until Europeans landed at the end of the 1700s. But researchers at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany, reported “evidence of substantial gene flow between Indian populations and Australia about 4,000 years ago”. They analysed genetic variation from across the genome from Australian Aborigines, New Guineans, Southeast Asians, and Indians. “Long before Europeans settled in Australia humans had migrated from the Indian subcontinent to Australia and mixed with Australian Aborigines,” the study said. It found “substantial gene flow from India to Australia 4,230 years ago ie… well before European contact,” it said.”
    *snip*
    “Australia offers some of the earliest archaeological evidence for the presence of humans outside Africa, with sites dated to at least 45,000 years ago.”

I love anthropology.

53. January 15, 2013 at 12:42 am

January 15, 2013 at 1:46 am

Thanks, LP! G’night to ya.

• 300 Chi
      January 15, 2013 at 2:38 am

This was really terrific…

It was wonderful listening to Harry Reid rave about the President…that’s how it should be done and more Democrats ought to take note…

How very refreshing and touching indeed…

• 301 susanne
      January 15, 2013 at 4:28 am

‘there’s just a limit to what he will put up with, reid said.’
      the look on pbo’s face when he was listening to chuck todd’s questions today was priceless.

54. 302 Joy
    January 15, 2013 at 2:18 am

Good evening anyone still awake! I was looking at previous posts and one really struck my mind….Govenor Martin O’Malley! His idea on gun control is right on. And he aligns with your present President.
    Folks, this will likely be the next president of the U.S.A
    I know PBO is just heading into his inauguration for 4 more years but we all know he is going to hold the show down. I feel comfortable with him being elected again but am worried already about 2016 as to who leads the battle in govt.
    To be honest I’m not feeling comfortable about Hillary Clinton. As good as she is in her job, her name sends sourness into many mouths of the citizens of the U.S.
    I think that Americans want someone like PBO. An average American working hard, not coming from money and I think that man just might be Governor O’Malley.
    Just my opinion.

• 303 susanne
      January 15, 2013 at 4:36 am

aloha joy~
      still awake here :)
      it’s fun to speculate on 2016 because we have so many wonderful dems to consider! and pbo’s work over the next four years must be shored up by a subsequent dem president. pbo is such a spoiler, though–very hard, impossible, act to follow!

January 15, 2013 at 4:51 am

2016, not even thinking about it. I have not gotten over 2012 yet. Once Michelle and Barack walk out of that White House for good, I am done. I may cast my vote, but I will not be involve like I was this time. I got so dam tired of the Republicans, and Democrats at times, the polls, and the stupid media. The out come of 2012 election made it all worth while.

• 305 susanne
          January 15, 2013 at 5:07 am

aloha anniebella~
          yes, this president is a once-in-a-lifetime dream-come-true for me too. he’s given so much, worked so hard, i can’t accept that a rethug would follow him and tear up his accomplishments. that’s why i’m glad there are good dems waiting in the wings. but i’m not in any hurry to see the next election cycle! the inauguration next week is a watershed event, with a revved pbo looking to all he can do.
          now i’m off to bed. keep the lights on for the morning shift~ :)

55. January 15, 2013 at 8:32 am

Good Morning ALL. Off this morning but work the late afternoon to ten shift. Keep posting TODers. Love the great information you all bring to Chips blog.

56. January 15, 2013 at 8:43 am

Unbelievable! Now, MSNBC is talking about assassinating Presidents? You know, pitying it out there?
    I think this is irresponsible and malicious.

January 15, 2013 at 8:56 am

Pakistan’s Supreme Court orders the arrest of PM Raja Pervez Ashraf and 15 others over corruption allegations.

The entire asian subcontinent is full of corrupt to the core bastids.

RSS OFA