Jan

January 2009, A Memory or Two

(Photo not taken by me)

I’ve honestly lost count of the number of requests I’ve had to post more of my exquisite DC photos from four years ago, this post leaving many of you gasping for more (Not to gloat or anything, but you saw this, yes?)

Well, alright, I’ve actually had no requests at all, but they probably just got lost in spam, which can happen with WordPress. Gremlins. :roll:

So, by popular-ish demand:

Bruce singing right in to my eyes at the We are One concert:

Bono desperately seeking me out while mouthing ‘in the name of love':

The President-elect – the next line actually read ‘Obama Diary is here’, I truly regret not lowering my focus:

Lunch …. resulting in a sizable potbelly:

Transport:

People were so excited they were even waving at buildings:

And Detroit, evidently, was hailing the man who wouldn’t make them bankrupt:

And the President-elect was hanging out, like, everywhere:

Toilets. Did I mention my toilets thing?

When we visited the White House, Bush was about to land in his helicopter. The people were singing ‘Na, na, na, na; na, na, na, na; hey, hey, hey, goodbye’. Disgraceful. So, we joined in:

On a DC tour bus – that’s me, top middle, the good-looking one:

The morning of the inauguration, one of the emptier trains:

Enthusiasm gap:

GWB and the President-elect passing by – it was hilarious, Pennsylvania Avenue couldn’t decide whether to boo or cheer, so there was just a mish-mash of both in the end:

I was pointing my telephoto lens at these fellas, until someone asked: ‘Do you think that’s wise?’ Gulp. Lens lowered:

GWB leaving DC, I’ll never forget the cheering on Pennsylvania Avenue, it was a thing of beauty:

Bye:

Remember President Obama and the First Lady got out of their car on Pennsylvania Avenue? Well, they got back in just before they reached me. :???:

I did, though, get a close-up of Michelle’s left shoulder and Sasha’s left hand – in your dreams, Pete Souza:

And – and! – I got a pic of, well, the VP’s bottom:

And then there was the world famous poo:

Then a cocktail or 12:

A journey, hic, home:

… just in time for the Inaugural balls:

Next morning. “Whoooooah, I just had the most amaaaaaazing dream!”

:-)

170 Responses to “January 2009, A Memory or Two”

• January 15, 2013 at 9:47 pm

gratz Carol!

WHERE THE FRAK IS THE SoCali INAUGURATION VIEWING PARTY LOCATION???? Preferably with bloody marys and mimosas….. and irish coffee—it’s FROZEN HERE.

• 4 carolmaewy
        January 15, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Thanks Jackie & Tally. Drunk on cough syrup, I’m no help.

• January 16, 2013 at 10:58 am

I’m sure I’m suffering from hypothermia, Tally. It’s never been this cold in LA, surely? *I am whispering this as I write, since I come from Canada – my family would probably disown me with the “hypothermia” comment…* :?

• January 16, 2013 at 9:14 pm

HAAAAA! It used to be this cold, it just hasn’t been here in LA. We actually set the record low this week. Out in Orange Grove Country (mostly the 909) when there were still orange groves, they’d have to light smudge pots to keep the crops from freezing.

1. January 15, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Counting down to Inauguration Day!

2. 8 carolmaewy
    January 15, 2013 at 9:45 pm

All I’m capable of tonight. :)

3. January 15, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Took the day off to enjoy the entire day and night…no calls please to all my friends.

4. January 15, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Apropos of remembering 20 Jan 2009, we should also include how that continuum of hate and obstruction of our President extended today to the fact that 180 House Republicans voted against assisting their fellow citizens who suffered the ravages of a hurricane.

5. January 15, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Top ten, can’t wait till Monday

6. 14 carolmaewy
    January 15, 2013 at 9:51 pm

If you search youtube for “reflexology self”, you’ll get directions to ease your aching feet between parade, the ball and after the ball. Unless your glass slippers are more comfortable than mine. That’s all I can contribute. No deep thoughts. Rachel is asking us to have WHPC to watch end of her show.

7. January 15, 2013 at 9:51 pm

I was hoping for another concert like last time

8. 19 COS
    January 15, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Chips you get better and better each time. Love, love, love all of the photos.

9. January 15, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Looking forward to 21 st

10. January 15, 2013 at 9:54 pm

BTW, Chips, I will always remember you for the poop and journey home photos :D :D – we had a bit of dialogue on that in the past, as well.

YOU ARE FANTASTIC – btw ….

11. 25 carolmaewy
    January 15, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Love the photos.

12. January 15, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Never seen some of these photos, amazing Chipsticks!

13. January 15, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Chips, you are a mess! :)

14. 30 dotster3
    January 15, 2013 at 10:03 pm

I see LOD opening with this despicable ad by the NRA—–using the Obama daughters——

January 15, 2013 at 10:03 pm

No wonder you weren’t invited this time around. Potties ? Really?

• January 15, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Yeah Amk, a total potty obsession. Probably down to a fear I wouldn’t find a free one when I most needed it. Happily, there were was no such emergency, so I’d like to think potty-weirdness is in my past.

January 15, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Whatdoyamean she ‘weren’t invited this time around’?
      Weren’t you responsible for sending the private plane?
      Didn’t we discuss this and you said you’d arrange for her arrival and departure during the weekend? Jeez louise, are you a man of your word, or what? I even provided the explanation for her boss, remember?
      She’d better be there cause I was counting on a) her fame getting me to the front row as her assistant, and b) her photographic genius catching unusual key moments to share with the TODville masses. Please, Amk, it’s not too late to sort this out. Your company plane is grounded this weekend, isn’t it. Think of it as a gift to wimminkind.

January 15, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Ooooooh, a memory post – I came back at just the right time! I LOVE Obama-memory posts. Thanks, Chips Chica, off I go to see what you cooked up!

17. January 15, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Excellent, witty, wonderful journey back in time. Your commentary is hilarious. Just ordered the Scout T. book. Love TOD. Thank you thank you thank you.

18. 40 pugeretto
    January 15, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Oh my, such a funny post! Laughing so hard at the remarks :-)

19. January 15, 2013 at 10:07 pm

20. 51 Smoothscotch
    January 15, 2013 at 10:09 pm

I feel so bad for PBO at having to put up with all the insults and disrespect just to help people. wonder if he ever feels like just packing up his family and leaving? i KNOW i would have, but then I don’t have that kind of tolerance or damn patience. What’s going to happen to the US of A if you guys let the nuts at the helm? Don’t watch Rachel since 2010, but turned to catch LO and saw her last minute about election fixing, WOW.

Must be on guard.

Just my rumblings thoughts.

21. 52 forus50
    January 15, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Your photo captioning is as good as the photos! So fun!

22. 53 carolmaewy
    January 15, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Frontline is airing first special tonight on Pres. Obama first term. First night is about the Coup d’état.

23. January 15, 2013 at 10:11 pm

24. 66 carolmaewy
    January 15, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Also NRA reportedly has a new 35 sec. video out that’s really nasty to Pres. Obama. Choosing not to watch it myself. Don’t need my iPad getting a virus. Just a warning.

25. January 15, 2013 at 10:15 pm

26. January 15, 2013 at 10:16 pm

I HEART this post. Oh, thank you so much Chips! It is wonderful. Now back up to read the other comments. Smiling, I am.

27. January 15, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Do NOT click if you have a weak stomach, this new NRA ad is beyond repulsive:

January 15, 2013 at 10:28 pm

I can’t….but they are desperate and see the tide changing. Thinking, rational people will not tolerate this anymore…the more they talk, the more they alienate themselves to all but the true conspiracy theory believers….they will cause their own undoing.

• 85 lisalovesobama
      January 15, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Why are Bloomie and Gregory in this snapshot? Gross.

• 86 carolmaewy
      January 15, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Does anyone know if that’s the daughters actual school? Probably best not to answer that. Does LaPierre have school age children? Do NRA members know they pay him a million a year? I asked on FB page today if any NRA members ever got a letter from NRA that did not ask for money? No response. Now have a photo of troops up and am asking if they support troops? Next question will be “Do you want to fight them to take your country back?” Or if you have a better one, I’m open to suggestions. Could we follow the NRA video with the horse shit? That’s what we call it down on the farm. Sorry, no other word to describe their rhetoric.

• 87 nathkatun7
      January 16, 2013 at 2:58 am

Amazing! According to the NRA reasoning, every individual American should also have Secret Service protection because the President has SS protection. After all, the President is no different from, or better than, you and me.

By the way, I might go along with the idea of stationing armed guards in all American schools so long as gun owners, and gun manufacturers, are taxed to the maximum. I think the way to accomplish that is to impose a special tax on gun owners/ manufacturers to be set aside to pay for these armed guards.

• 88 theo67
        January 16, 2013 at 11:06 am

I certainly couldn’t imagine having to send my child to school under armed guards. That’s not how children are supposed to grow up in a free and civilized society. It’s like the world is having to stand on it’s head to see things from the right wing perspective, instead of just telling the right wing to sort themselves out! Crazy.

28. January 15, 2013 at 10:20 pm

that was terrific, Chips…thanks for the wonderful pics and memories.

29. January 15, 2013 at 10:23 pm

I met a member of the 3rd Infantry – Old Guard – who was part of the Presidential detail. Good thing you lowered your lens. He told me he was packing a small machine pistol under his jacket and a couple of other guns. They were very heavily armed.

January 15, 2013 at 10:25 pm

• 93 Obama Grandmama
      January 16, 2013 at 1:00 am

I was thinking even if we had to move to the jerrymandered districts in order to get Dems voted into office it would be worth it!

31. January 15, 2013 at 10:26 pm

January 15, 2013 at 10:27 pm

January 15, 2013 at 10:28 pm

34. 99 dotster3
    January 15, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Just horrific story that Joy Reid told on LOD re. Noah Posner’s parents asking Gov. Malloy to view their deceased son—–that only top half of face was still there, wanted him to see that he had not just been shot, he had been slaughtered/blown to bits with those bullets. Desperate to make clear the need for drastic change in gun legislation, evidence of the total insanity that presently exists.

January 15, 2013 at 10:41 pm

dotster3, I heard that story about Noah Posner. It was horrible. But I feel people need to heard these things, what those parents had to witness, no longer their sweet little babies, but babies blown to pieces.

• 101 Dudette
        January 15, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Agonizingly horrible! Every one of those bastards in Congress who don’t think we need sensible gun safety laws ought to be forced to see them. Especially the ones clamoring to see Bin Laden’s death pictures.

• 102 carolmaewy
        January 15, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Yes, I agree. I posted on my FB page. Still not bothering my female cousins. 😪

January 15, 2013 at 10:29 pm

36. January 15, 2013 at 10:31 pm

January 15, 2013 at 10:33 pm

January 15, 2013 at 10:34 pm

39. January 15, 2013 at 10:35 pm

In light of this NRA ad, I’m really sorry I posted this thread, way too light with this perverted insanity going on. Fuck it, I can’t take these bastards.

• January 15, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Chips – THANK YOU posting the thread – we all need it to help us, and the huge number of folk who lurk here, to keep our emotional compass set on that ‘north star’ PBO frequently analogizes ….

#FORWARD

• January 15, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Thank you Bob, but the thread just seems ridiculous in light of that NRA ad. Can’t take it, struggling to handle this venom.

• January 15, 2013 at 10:47 pm

We all are, Chips. We’ll only ‘handle’ it if we stick together, closely, and your humor at times like this really provides essential emotional ‘glue.’ Thank you!

January 16, 2013 at 12:30 am

It doesn’t really, Chips. There is nothing ridiculous about #wethepeople having placed the right man for this time in the WH. There is nothing ridiculous about us appreciating AND ENJOYING what he has accomplished, and will accomplish despite their best efforts to pull him and the country down. THERE IS NOTHING AT ALL RIDICULOUS ABOUT OUR REVISITING THE BEAUTY AND HUOUR THAT L-I-V-E-D THAT DAY
          I do believe there is nothing at all ridiculous about our revisiting the beauty and humour that LIVED that day!

IMO, we shouldn’t give those hateful people the power to drag us to their level or take away our joy. Yes the NRA ad is vicious, but I believe it reveals more of what the organization is truly about, and I’d like to believe that it will disgust more and more sane people. We have agreed here before that President Obama, VPJoe & their admin have been pulling the scales from the eyes of America so that she can TRULY SEE the Repubs and their lobbyists. Think of this ad as just one more sight – disgusting, heartless, ugly, bile-inducing, but revealing another piece of who they are. They are all these things and more, AND THEY WIELD A STRONG INFLUENCE WITHIN THE COUNTRY. Even though it hurts, I want them to be honest about who they are so that more people will accept that they need repulsing. The girls are safe and are protected and loved. I believe that deep inside.

{{{Chips Chica}}}

• January 15, 2013 at 10:55 pm

No worries, Chips. We need this site and the occasional lighthearted funny things you post. It keeps us from getting dragged down and depressed and that means we can continue to fight, fight, fight.

• 118 Smoothscotch
      January 15, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Hence my comment above. Hang in there girl, thanks for this sane place.

• 119 daisydem
      January 15, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Hang in there Chips … for yourself and for us. This post was wonderful for me …. funny, light. Then I read about the NRA ad (can’t watch) but I can go back to this post and feel good in our reality. The NRA as others have said seem to be desperate. An ad such as the one they put out today is a sign of this desperation. Their very existence may be in jeopardy (we can hope). We know what is real, what we have in this Presidency and the changes that are occurring and we can rejoice. Thank you for all you do.

40. 120 anniebella
    January 15, 2013 at 10:35 pm

This ad is really disgusting, but what do you expect from the NRA. The NRA is a bunch of sick bastards,

January 15, 2013 at 10:38 pm

42. 122 dotster3
    January 15, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Earlier tweet that NRA took down the despicable Obama daughters ad is false—-said to just be having site issues—–ad is back up.

43. January 15, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Then there’s this ….

• 124 Smoothscotch
      January 15, 2013 at 11:07 pm

The next natural disaster that hits the south, who gets more than they give, should be interesting. Take the names of all those ingrates.

January 15, 2013 at 10:40 pm

exactly my point. amazing how these fuckers are trying turn their fail into president’s.

January 15, 2013 at 10:42 pm

There are so many logical fails in the nra talking points.

46. January 15, 2013 at 10:44 pm

The House Republucabs want to defund the WH!
    They want to change the Electioral map in the State Houses, to ensure a Republucans President, always!
    These guys are just finding another way to win the Civil War. It’s never stopped for many.
    Anyways…

47. January 15, 2013 at 10:46 pm

48. January 15, 2013 at 10:49 pm

49. 130 No Child Left Behind
    January 15, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Dear Chips,

Thank you for these nice memories. I was there too and, though it was cold, enjoyed every moment of it. I’ll be there again next Monday.

January 15, 2013 at 10:51 pm

51. January 15, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Duke Energy Corporation (DUK – Analyst Report) announced the completion of its largest-ever windpower construction projects – Los Vientos I and II – in south Texas, adding 402 megawatts (MW) to the company’s renewables fleet.

January 15, 2013 at 10:53 pm

I really wish SS would get involved and start questioning these nra nutsos.

• 136 dotster3
      January 15, 2013 at 10:56 pm

And I agree with the tweet which said that the ad is a threat to Obama re. executive orders on gun laws. Ugliness to the max.

53. January 15, 2013 at 10:54 pm

January 15, 2013 at 10:54 pm

55. January 15, 2013 at 10:58 pm

January 15, 2013 at 10:58 pm

What exactly is Frontline’s point? Was that necessary?

57. January 15, 2013 at 11:05 pm

• 147 susanne
      January 15, 2013 at 11:33 pm

‘support him with all your heart’ !! yes!!

• 148 nathkatun7
      January 16, 2013 at 3:17 am

Absolutely! I am lucky because both of my U.S. Senators, and Representative in the House strongly favor gun reform. Nevertheless, I will be calling, and sending e-mails, to as many members of Congress as I can.

January 15, 2013 at 11:06 pm

January 15, 2013 at 11:09 pm

January 15, 2013 at 11:09 pm

This vile ad and the “game” app for 4 year olds shooting those coffin targets should really put the nail in the NRA coffin for good. This will backfire on them. Big time.

61. January 15, 2013 at 11:13 pm

• 155 daisydem
      January 15, 2013 at 11:45 pm

I just went to WH.gov and basically posted that Political Junkessa .. we have his back. You know, why can’t our wonderful V.P. Joe Biden come out with a strong statement in a press conference (no questions) condemning the NRA for their ad? I think this would be effective and I would love to hear it.

62. 156 sherijr
    January 15, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Wow Chips! This is so wonderful, thank you :)

January 15, 2013 at 11:23 pm

January 15, 2013 at 11:25 pm

65. January 15, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Can I ask you guys a serious question? Why are you ALL so surprised everyday that the Republucans ate against anything to do with the Federal Government?
    This is what their Party has come down to- get rid of the Federal Government, give power to the States. Except now they have multi billionaires on their side.
    They mean to push through stuff through the State legislature where this President won, to give them the advantage in the Electiral College.
    If that happens, a 5 million vote win by this President will be nullified and Robmey would have won.
    This is their strategy, to take us back pre civil war, and they are trying to nullify everything, but ate doing it Legislatively.
    Meanwhile, a huge distraction in the Beltway about funding the Federal Government.
    I don’t mean to rain in on anybody’s Patafe, but Civil War part 2 has begun. It maybe non violent, or it could be violent. Who knows. It’s not hysterics, it’s an observation.
    We have to take back the House this fall, and everybody needs to vote in the midterm!
    End of Rant.

• 160 PoliticalJunkessa
      January 15, 2013 at 11:37 pm

You’re not saying anything new, although I am convinced the GOP will fail. Anyway, I’m not surprised, nor am I scared. Forward.

• January 15, 2013 at 11:40 pm

I guess I have a Brother and a Cousin who are T Baggers and they tell me what’s going on. A lot more crazy stuff than what is being reported.
        Anyways…

66. 162 hgerhard
    January 15, 2013 at 11:34 pm

In just a few days, President Obama will be sworn in and begin his second term in office. We all know what to expect from the tea party segment and most Republicans in Congress. Their voices will get louder and their positions will become even more extreme; but I do believe that in a significant way they have already made their own defeat inevitable. We can’t ignore them and must continue to respond to their lies by forcefully upholding the truth about the President’s record, but we can and should also focus on the next four years.

The President summarized his plans in his weekly address, and it is a call to action: “After more than a decade of war, the nation we need to rebuild is our own… We have to care for our troops and veterans who fought in our name. We have to grow the economy and shrink our deficits. Create new jobs and boost family incomes. We have to fix our infrastructure and our immigration system. We have to protect our planet from the destructive effects of climate change – and protect our children from the horrors of gun violence.”

Ending wars but not forgetting those who fought them in our name, growing the economy while boosting family incomes (not just corporate incomes, right?), fixing our neglected infrastructure (an important prerequisite for economic growth), dealing with our fiscal problems (in a fair and balanced way), finally straightening out our broken immigration system (with a path to citizenship for those living in the shadows), protecting our planet by addressing climate change as a reality, and addressing the out-of-control gun violence with common-sense regulations.

This is an incredible agenda and will require our participation and energy. I am looking forward to the Inaugural Address and the State of the Union message to get details on all of these plans. If President Obama can achieve significant progress on all of these issues, his second term will consolidate his record as the most transformational and effective President in memory.

67. 163 Dudette
    January 15, 2013 at 11:35 pm

68. 164 Dudette
    January 15, 2013 at 11:36 pm

January 15, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Remember, everybody, with all the crap that’s being thrown around by the NRA, rotten-to-the-core Republicans, and others, President Obama was re-elected to a second term by American voters. The groups that are working against him are minuscule, compared to the electorate. Those bastards get attention because they buy big microphones. WE are the President’s sound system. WE can amplify his message. Get tweeting, send emails, post on Facebook, call your congressquack and senators, call your friends. Pray or think good thoughts for him. Pray or think good thoughts for his family. And for the Bidens. That’s needed more than we’ve done before, looks like. He got through the last four years based totally, I believe, on the force of his will, and God’s good graces. He knows he wants to do the right thing for America, and for the world at large, so he just keeps going. And, Chips, nothing wrong with adding humor, please continue that, to keep our sanity.

70. 166 Dudette
    January 15, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Now this is cool!

Obama agrees to ‘taxation without representation’ plates on presidential limo

President Obama, after a push by the D.C. Council, has agreed to affix license plates to his limo with the phrase “taxation without representation.”

The new plates will be in place beginning this weekend, during the inaugural parade and for the duration of the president’s term.

“President Obama has lived in the District now for four years, and has seen first-hand how patently unfair it is for working families in D.C. to work hard, raise children and pay taxes, without having a vote in Congress,” White House spokesman Keith Maley said in a statement.

“Attaching these plates to the presidential vehicles demonstrates the President’s commitment to the principle of full representation for the people of the District of Columbia and his willingness to fight for voting rights, Home Rule and budget autonomy for the District.”

The move follows a meeting between DC Council members and administration officials at the White House Friday, when Councilmember Mary Cheh pushed for the new plates on the presidential limo to help raise awareness about the district’s lack of voting power in Congress.

Former president Bill Clinton put plates with the slogan on his limo in 2000, when DC first put the “taxation without representation” phrase on license plates. But former president George W. Bush chose a different design that omitted the phrase, and Obama has not used plates with the phrase until now.

71. 170 Nena20409
    January 16, 2013 at 11:13 am

Excellently well done, Chips. Thank You.