Jan

A Letter to the President

President Obama signs executive orders on gun violence flanked by 8-year old letter writer Hinna Zeejah (L), 10-year old letter writer Taejah Goode (3rd L), 11-year old letter writer Julia Stokes and 8-year old letter writer Grant Fritz (R)

Julia and Taejah’s letters

President Barack Obama signs letters written by Hinna Zeejah, Grant Fritz, Julia Stokes, and Teja Goode backstage in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building’s South Court Auditorium after unveiling new gun control proposals as part of the Administration’s response to the Newtown, Conn., shootings, and other tragedies, Jan. 16. The children wrote to President Obama in the wake of the Newtown tragedy expressing their concerns about gun violence and school safety. (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama in the Connecticut Post: As a society, our first task must be to care for our children – to shield them from harm and give them the tools they need not only to pursue their dreams, but to help build this country. That is how we will be judged. And in the wake of the tragedy in Newtown, it’s clear we have a long way to go.

That’s why, last month, I asked Vice President Biden to lead an effort to come up with concrete steps we can take right now to keep our kids safe, help prevent mass shootings, and reduce the broader epidemic of gun violence in this country. And on Wednesday, I put forward a specific set of proposals based on Joe’s recommendations. Because while there is no law or set of laws that can prevent every senseless act of violence completely, if there is even one thing we can do to reduce this violence – if even one life can be saved – we have an obligation to try.

As President, I’m committed to doing my part. That’s why I signed 23 executive actions giving law enforcement, schools, mental health professionals, and the public health community the tools they need to help reduce gun violence.

Read the full Op-Ed here

222 Responses to “A Letter to the President”

1. 1 carolmaewy
    January 16, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Save the children.

2. 2 jackiegrumbacher
    January 16, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Can’t keep up anymore. Just one good post after another. Thanks, Chips.

3. 3 0388jojothecat
    January 16, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Third?

4. 4 carolmaewy
    January 16, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Yes, Mr. President, we know you are doing your best. We will support you.

5. 9 57andfemale
    January 16, 2013 at 4:37 pm

And these children were mocked by Rush Limbaugh. Not just bashing PBO, but actually mocking these children.

From the party that thinks women should be forced to bear any and all babies, even those in some petrie dish. Yet they mock children who are living. They have no interest in protecting them from violence, except with more displays of phallic — oops, I meant weapons.

• 10 yardarm756
      January 16, 2013 at 4:47 pm

And the roaches are coming outta the woodwork now that the lights are really on. Now we’ll see if we are a country of survivalists or social order and concern for all.

• January 16, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Yardarm, your abv comment reminds me of what I was just thinking how to get into a tweet! every Country has rats that live in
        the sewer-when lid is opened they run from the light. Close the lid and look to the sunlight and the sound of the childrens voices PEACE

• 12 Nena20409
      January 16, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I don’t want to be mean, but thank goodness that Rush Limbaugh, a 4X married fatuously wicked bat poop has Zero kids.

What an a*s Limbaugh is?

January 16, 2013 at 7:29 pm

What goes around comes around. Rush Limbaugh will get his one day.

• 14 nathkatun7
        January 16, 2013 at 11:54 pm

Nena, thanks for letting me know Limbaugh has no children. Still, there are many people with no children who value children and would not steep so low to mock them. As far as I am concerned Limbaugh is pure evil!

• 15 nathkatun7
      January 16, 2013 at 11:51 pm

57andfemale, after listening tof Rush Limbaugh mock the children I wanted to know if Rush Limbaugh had any children or grandchildren. I seem to remember that not too long ago he was married for the third time, but I didn’t know if he had children from previous marriages. If Rush doesn’t have children of his own I am sure his relatives, friends, and supporters have children. Attacking the President is one thing, but mocking children shows how EVIL this man is. As I commented on a previous thread, I think It’s time to launch another boycott against his sponsors.

6. 16 swbluega
    January 16, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Too bad the “adults” can’t learn the lessons as well as the children.

7. 17 sherijr
    January 16, 2013 at 4:41 pm

this really gets to me.. our kids have got to be more important to us than anything else.

8. January 16, 2013 at 4:43 pm

These parents should be so proud of these sweet thoughtful young souls.

9. 20 thoughtful3
    January 16, 2013 at 4:46 pm

“out of the mouth of babes”…

10. 22 daisydem
    January 16, 2013 at 4:54 pm

To the faction that is complaining that the President used children in his appeal/address today, I say to them: the children know. I have a niece and nephew about the same ages as the victims of Sandy Hook; they are both so bright. They know. They have fears. The children at the White House today who wrote letters lost their peers at Sandy Hook. It is finally the deaths of so many children that is the last straw in this need for gun control. This does not negate the death of anyone, adult or child, at the hands of a gunman. It is just that it seems to have taken this sad, sad unfortunate incident to awaken enough people to call for change. Yes, having those children there and reading their letters is an appeal to the emotions, but that is what this is about … the emotion of a mother (and father) losing a child, of children losing a parent (at a school, in a mall, at a theater). F*$K the NRA and anyone who is trying to defend them. We are angry and we are sad and we are going to use those emotions (not fear) to change this country!

11. 24 xtine
    January 16, 2013 at 4:59 pm

[From Joy-Ann Reid on B. Todd Jones]:

[.....] Jones is currently the U.S. Attorney for Minnesota, and has served in both positions — essentially serving at the ATF part-time — since he was named the acting director last August. He became that state’s first black U.S. attorney in 1998, after being recommended by the late Sen. Paul Wellstone. President Obama renominated him in 2009 to the U.S. attorney post he had held under President Bill Clinton.

According to his agency bio, Jones is a former Marine infantry officer, who also served as both a prosecutor and defense counsel in courts martial cases. He graduated from Macalester College in 1979 and the University of Minnesota Law School in 1983 before enlisting. Jones left active duty in 1989, but was called back for Operation Desert Storm in 1991.

Jones would take over an agency that has been depleted over the years. Republicans in Congress have routinely sought to curtail the agency’s funding, and the ATF has seen a series of staff reductions that has left it with fewer than 2,500 agents nationwide as of December.

At the same time, Republicans have sharply criticized the agency for failing to live up to its mandates, and blamed it for failed operations like the Fast and Furious anti-gun trafficking program, in which a border patrol agent was killed. Jones took over the agency in the midst of the Fast and Furious uproar, saying his goal was to help ATF “hit the reset button.”

12. 31 57andfemale
    January 16, 2013 at 5:02 pm
  13. January 16, 2013 at 5:06 pm

One of my new congresscritters (Raul Ruiz) supports gun control (he said we have to have a serious conversation about the accessibility of the “automatic weapons of war”). Just sent him email.

14. January 16, 2013 at 5:08 pm
  15. January 16, 2013 at 5:12 pm
  16. 36 Anna
    January 16, 2013 at 5:18 pm

We need list of Rush Limbaughs sponsors, time to go after his pocket book, shut up this POS, excuse me, I am angry.

• 37 nathkatun7
      January 17, 2013 at 12:02 am

Anna, I am with you all the way! I don’t want to spend a penny on any company sponsoring this EVIL, EVIL, man! I will contact Color of Change to see if they can re-issue the list of his sponsors.

17. January 16, 2013 at 5:24 pm
  18. 39 Claire
    January 16, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Former Democratic Rep. Dennis Kucinich of Ohio has joined Fox News Channel and Fox Business as a paid contributor, TV Newser reports. “Through 16 years in Congress and two presidential campaigns, Fox News has always provided me with an opportunity to share my perspective with its enormous viewership,” Kucinich said in a statement. “I look forward to a continuation of our relationship this time as a Fox News contributor.”

If the POTUS ever did something like this the professional left would bash him forever. I’m guessing we’ll not hear a peep from them since it’s Kucinich.

• 40 Linda
      January 16, 2013 at 5:28 pm

How funny…

The same man that stood on the House for for hours and hours reading 35 articles of impeachment against George Bush, Fox’s hero.

This just prove that Fox is a fraud.

• January 16, 2013 at 5:49 pm

So he sold his soul or he never had one. These so-called DINOs make me sick. I am glad that he is no longer in congress. He was a menace.

• 42 PoliticalJunkessa
      January 16, 2013 at 6:07 pm

He’s another firebagger, part of the loony left that’s all too ready to sell out to the highest (or in case, probably the only) bidder.

19. 43 daisydem
    January 16, 2013 at 5:26 pm

These children are citizens too!

20. January 16, 2013 at 5:26 pm
  21. January 16, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Thank you for this. Blizzard of disturbing, hateful, stupid twisted blather out there. Good to be reminded of the who/what/when/where that got us here. Good to see the leadership, brilliance and strength of our President. Good to see these children. Incomprehensible hypocrisy and arrogance on part of hatemongers and merchants-of-death servants to comment on children being present. Would be laughable if not for the tragedy of which they wrote. I keep looking back at PBO for reminders of how to deal with these blizzards: He listens to reason, thinks, and acts with decisiveness and wisdom. He (mostly) pays no mind to garbage, baloney and bait. So thankful he and family will brush their teeth and kiss goodnight in the White House, again tonight. Home.

22. January 16, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Added two more of the kids’ letters to the post, the sweetest things.

23. 49 Linda
    January 16, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Tweety’s next segment is about ….

NOT ENOUGH WOMEN IN THE CABINET.

Beat that horse tweety…..keep beating that dead horse.

24. 50 susanne
    January 16, 2013 at 5:48 pm

chips, i can’t thank you enough for your coverage of the incredibly painful sandy hook tragedy and aftermath. your sensitivity, righteous fury, moral courage, and dogged work on this blog have made it possible for so many of us to keep up, keep going, and keep pushing. today’s posts have been extraordinary. i salute you, and send you much aloha.

25. January 16, 2013 at 5:49 pm

The White House video of today’s speeches is up:

26. 57 PoliticalJunkessa
    January 16, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Bush sent troops to Iraq to get rid of some nonexistent “Weapons of Mass Destruction” and the right-wing supported it. But having Weapons of Mass Destruction available at gun shows and online with no background check or even a second look is okay.

27. 58 Esi
    January 16, 2013 at 5:59 pm

I don’t comment much but I need some relief because sometimes there don’t seem to be an escape from the news. I work in the West Africa region, Mali included, one of the small villages I have worked in is tucked in between Konna and Douentza which is surrounded by rebels. Then I heard some ridiiculous stuff from callers on NPR about the gun issue (which is normally a solace). It gets better but the going through and believing in a brighter tomorrow can be tough some times.

28. 63 PoliticalJunkessa
    January 16, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Suffer the little children. Like I said earlier, it is absolutely surreal — downright bizarre — that a so-called advanced civilization has to have children begging for the adults to protect them from killing machines. Enough is enough.

January 16, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Or, as Rush likes to call our nation’s children when they stand with President Obama at the White House, in the vile, mocking tone only Rush could summon, “human shields.” Can somebody please get him off the airwaves?

• 65 nathkatun7
        January 17, 2013 at 12:34 am

“Can somebody please get him off the airwaves?”

I think we are the ones that can get him off the airwaves by boycotting his sponsors!

January 17, 2013 at 12:53 am

People still – every day – send a gazillion tweets to his sponsors suggesting they drop him. I believe it’s worked for some of them, but others don’t care a bit about what he represents. He’s just one despicable person, but it’s the amazingly high number of followers he has that’s more despicable.

• 67 nathkatun7
            January 17, 2013 at 3:15 am

JO, You make a good about his idiot followers. But I still think we can undermine him by boycotting his sponsors. Any way, for me I am going to research Rush’s sponsors so that I make sure that not a single penny of my money goes to them. Obviously, I am not that naive to think that my action will have any impact on Rush. But If I can stop spending my money on the businesses that support him that would make me feel good for not being part of of people who bank-roll this despicable, EVIL, man.

January 16, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Even creepy Morning Joe says NRA “extremism is so over the line.” Until he says something else, of course, but I hope he keeps this going.

30. 69 carolyn
    January 16, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Yes, “a little child shall lead them” so often is the case, but how sad that the adults don’t lead! This is like Alice’s adventures through the Looking Glass…..everything is backwards.
    I so admire the President and VP for tackling this horror head on. As Charles Pierce said, “This is fearless.”
    I say, let the whiny right whine and complain, this is once again that they are showing who and what they are. I keep remembering Justice Brandeis, “Sunlight is the best disinfectant.” Bring this vitriol into the light, hard as it is for us, but that is the only way it can be dealt with and cleaned up. Apply the antiseptics and let it heal, cleanly, not fester under a soiled bandage. We have been letting this attitude fester for years, and bringing it to light hurts temporarily, but it is the only path to true healing.
    I have been so glad to see governors of some states taking active steps to curtail this horror too. These steps support the President, and should bring Congress to do the right thing for a change.
    You know when Jan Brewer changes her mind on expansion of Medicaid, talking about the morality of it! the tide is changing. It is slow, but we are a giant ship, not a rowboat which can be turned immediately. The president keeps reminding us of that.
    Also, our financial problems won’t be solved overnight. We have a friend who used to work for Consumer Counseling Agency. He said he learned that people run into debt problems, but they have to crawl out. That is the way with a country is, even more so. We will have to crawl to gun solutions too. It’s going to take a lot of persuasion and mind changing, but it can be done, and as the President said, we are the key.

31. January 16, 2013 at 6:19 pm

I would like to add my thanks to Chips for this blog. It is a source of light and support to so many. The President’s speech today was wonderful. His mention of Grace’s picture had me in tears. We have to do the right thing for once.

32. January 16, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Just called my two Senators and all of the State of Washington Reps. 2 reps said they were seeing what the house cld do, most staff were pleasent and listened to my questions and took ph number..had one ass hole Anyone in Rep Denny Hecks dist? (D-10) that little brat told me
    since I was not in his dist, it was none of my business how he votes, or was I trying to influence him. What a snot nose kid. I had contacted my Dist Rep after Bob put out his must have list and he replied to me that he was serious about gun control. thats a good thing. oh well can’t win then all, but they did hear from me. peace and FORWARD

• 72 Linda
      January 16, 2013 at 6:33 pm

When ever I get asked that type of question I always tell the person….

” I am an American citizen and the vote affects the ENTIRE COUNTRY, not just the Congressperson’s District . ” Do the laws he votes for only affect his District ?

• 74 nathkatun7
      January 17, 2013 at 12:40 am

Way to go Inga! If you have friends in Hecks’ district, urge them to make the calls. That’s what I am doing with respect to the right wing Congressmen in San Diego county. One of them is the dreaded, Darryl Issa who represents parts of of San Diego county and parts of Orange county.

33. 75 99ts
    January 16, 2013 at 6:23 pm

WOW – Some days I get up – start reading TOD and I’m still there are lunchtime – this is going to be one of those days
    Wonderful threads – thank you chips – I’m so far behind – decided to go backwards from the end. I just watched the video on “good crazy” which is how far behind I am – I love that PBO laugh – it never changes – it always makes one join in.

TOD – should just be called “The Good News Diary” – thanks for all the great posts and comments

34. 76 99ts
    January 16, 2013 at 6:28 pm

And now – having looked at Pierce – if there is any doubt about racism – and you haven’t seen this post – read it and scream

35. 82 Dona
    January 16, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Republicans really really love children ……….so long as they are in the womb.
    Republicans get really really angry over gun deaths ( al la Fast and Furious) …………. so long as only “patriots” are being killed.

Children getting shot in the head? ……….no need to trample our right to bear arms. Just get a bigger gun.

January 16, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I don’t know that Republicans necessarily love the children in the womb, as much as they want to control the woman who owns the womb. There’s that, too.

• 84 susanne
        January 16, 2013 at 7:44 pm

that’s a very important distinction, jacqueline. their love for the infant is a disguise for their determination to control women. we have all the evidence we need of that when we see how glibly they pull funding from children’s medical programs, after-school programs, pre-school programs, school lunch programs, and on and on. if they love children, they should be neutral or supportive on birth control issues, but no.

January 16, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Yes, it’s all fakery. They are only fooling themselves. Must suck to be them! Ugh.

• 86 susanne
            January 16, 2013 at 8:00 pm

your wisdom shines through again! yes, i pity them. imagine living in america in the age of obama, and keeping your heart and mind closed to the wonders we here enjoy every day. very sad.

• 87 nathkatun7
        January 17, 2013 at 12:42 am

Great insight, JO!

36. 89 Dudette
    January 16, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Wooo, finally got to the most recent post. [Deep breath] Okay, only 50+ comments to read and I’m all caught up. Hallelujah! What a day!! :-)

37. 90 Dudette
    January 16, 2013 at 6:35 pm
  38. 91 necie5040
    January 16, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Hello TOD family!!! Just dropped in the say hello to Chipsticks and all my friends here and on Twitter. Finally got around to changing my profile name and image to the same as my Twitter account so that everyone will know who I am. Chips, thank you so much for all that you do here, and thanks to everyone else who contributes to this great site. It is a blessing! Looking forward to all the inaugural festivities this weekend and on Monday! Be blessed everyone and have a great evening!

• 92 Dudette
      January 16, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Love, love, LOVE the gravatar necie! Glad you popped in! Have a lovely evening!!

• 93 necie5040
        January 16, 2013 at 6:45 pm

The same to you Dudette. Don’t get to comment to often, but I love this site and feel at home here each and everytime I come. Love what Chips is doing, and have the highest regard and respect for her and everyone here on TOD! Be blessed!

• January 16, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Great to see you Necie! Hope all’s GREAT. Thanks a million for the kind words, hugely appreciated!

• 95 necie5040
        January 16, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Just the truth Chips! I really do love it here. I come everyday just to read and view the beautiful pictures that you post, even if I do not have the time to post anything. I am on Twitter everyday also reading and trying to keep abreast of what the right is up to, but this is by far my favorite site!

39. 96 Dudette
    January 16, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Please read the article referenced in this tweet. It’s kinda long, but definitely worth your time.

Direct link:

40. January 16, 2013 at 6:47 pm

I’m trying to get an email to Chipsticks, and I’ve lost track of what it is.
    Can somebody remind me, please?

41. 101 Dudette
    January 16, 2013 at 6:50 pm
  42. 102 kathryn kivett
    January 16, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Good Evening All….I really don’t know where to start or even what to say….Obviously, all of us have been so sad about what happened at Sandy Hook…We have all had a mixture of many emotions when we think of those precious children…..but today RAGE has entered my world….and all it took was that ad by NRA and the icing was that idiot Rush L…..WHITE HOT RAGE….most of the people on here worked in some form to relect PBO and for those from other parts of the world who could not actively campaign for him…..now is your chance, no reason you can’t donate and become involved with supporting PBO…..as soon as this ignauguration is over, I expect we will hear from OFA with guide lines for what they want us to do…..I personally intend to get more involved than I was for PBO elections….He NEEDS us MORE now than ever. PBO has been bold….we need to be bolder to support him, and all children that we are touched by…our children, grandchildren, neices, nephews, god children, neighbor children, friend’s children, and all the children that we don’t even know. I await direction…..right now there are various groups…Brady campaign, Gabby Gifford’s pac, Sandy Hook parent’s Promise group, Mayor Bloomberg’s group and OFA….and groups that are emailing me asking for donations….all these groups need to mesh into one powerful fighting bloc……If they do, I know we will be able to accomplish the support that PBO needs to get it done.

• 103 0388jojothecat
      January 16, 2013 at 7:28 pm

I hear you…….I just saw that rat bastard mocking kids played on Tweety’s show. I heard it on Randi Rhoads show and when you see it with your own eyes it is mind boggling that NO ONE IN THE MSM is playing this nationwide shaming this rat bastard. This tells me that THERE IS NO “LIBERAL” media only RWNJ-CORPORATE MEDIA. They are protecting that rat bastard.

43. 104 Rain
    January 16, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Just two thoughts…did you see Rush Limbaugh mocking the children? What kind of scumbag mocks children? This man is truly repugnant. The other thing on my mind is the John Denver song “Rhymes and Reasons”. I posted the video here before, but the line “If you do not accept, it is here we must begin to seek the wisdom of the children…” has been stuck in my head all day. It is, truly all about the children. And anyone who cannot put the children above their fear, their ego or their wallet does not deserve to call themselves American.

Here’s the song again, enjoy my friends.

• 105 necie5040
      January 16, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Hello Rain! But of course that b-hole mocks children because he doesn’t have any. He is childless because God knew that Rush was not worthy of, or decent enough to have seeds brought forth carrying his name. I believe he is a demented, jealous old man that is filled with hate and envy. We must all continue the fight for what is right and decent if our society is to progress, any worthwhile effort is worth the fight and the struggle if we are to progress and win. Our children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren need us to stand firm with our President so that they will not have to fear being shot for just sitting in a school classroom. I have loss a son to gun violence, and know the heartache and pain never ends, but there is a fight within me that will not die because I know other children and young people will die from gun violence if we give up, give in to the pressure, and let this President stand alone. I will begin to donate again after next week, not because I have to, but because I need to. Be blessed everyone!

• 106 Rain
        January 16, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I’m so truly sorry for your loss Necie…and I agree 100%. I’ve decided that going forward a portion of the proceeds from each of my art commissions will go to helping PBO’s cause to make life better for our chidren and our future generations.

• 107 necie5040
          January 16, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Thank you for your condolences, Rain, thank you. what you stated is so true Rain, so true! We need to do this not only for our children, but also for ourselves, becuase if we do not help this President make a difference in this Nation, because he is trying hard, we will have to live with whatever hardships the right brings upon us. I could never live with myself if I was to so eaily give up and let their evil win.

• 108 Rain
            January 17, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I feel the same Necie. We owe it to our children to make the world a safe and at least reasonably harmonious place to live. We’ve seen what the rightwing repugs have done with the power they’ve been given so far. We have to take it back from them. I think they are on the path to self-destruction though. Every time I hear blowhards like Rush, and that crazy gun dude who threatened to start shooting people, and even members of the clergy who preach RWNJ garbage, I think of Matthew 7:15…”Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.”

• 109 susanne
        January 16, 2013 at 8:05 pm

necie, please accept my deep condolences for the loss of your son. ‘the fight for what is right and decent’–powerful words, thank you.

• 110 necie5040
          January 19, 2013 at 11:20 am

Thank you Susanne for your kind words. We are all in this fight for a safer Nation for our children and grandchildren. Please be blessed!

• 111 99ts
      January 16, 2013 at 8:00 pm

What kind of scumbag mocks children? The same kind who mock young intelligent women who stand up for their rights to own their own bodies. Hard to believe he could get lower than his attacks on Sandra Fluke.
      What am I saying – very easy to believe he can get lower than low.

• 112 Rain
        January 17, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I agree 99, he’s a bottom feeder. So are the rest of the crazy RWNJs. Anybody ever notice how they always seem to have to scream to make their point???

44. 113 Dudette
    January 16, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Obama recognizes non-believers in ‘Religious Freedom Day’ proclamation
    ————————

Raw Story article:

Presidential Proclamation:

45. January 16, 2013 at 6:59 pm

FAA just grounded the dreamliner 787 pending safety review.
    Jeeze!

46. 115 donna dem 4 obama
    January 16, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Why Why Why is OFA doing everything so friggin late this time around???

I was just sent an invitation to attend the OFA Legacy Conference on Sunday. Geesh!!!!!!!!

• 116 Alycee (@jazziz2)
      January 16, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Wow, lucky you. I’ve given up hope of receiving one. Still nothing in my email…

• 121 dotster3
      January 16, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I’m not overly impressed with the organization of the inaugural committee either. It seems like they forgot to meet until a couple of weeks ago and everything is a last minute scramble—-with last minute notices and invites—–and they failed to do their homework on that first benediction speaker.

47. 122 dotster3
    January 16, 2013 at 7:01 pm

OT but one of the odder stories of the year. I kept seeing references on twitter about this —-that the dead girlfriend of Manti Te’o, a star football player at Notre Dame, never existed. He had been telling inspirational and emotional stories about this girlfriend all year—a Stanford grad, met after game, got together in Hawaii, she was in a serious car accident and was in a coma, he would stay on the phone with her all night, then they discovered she had leukemia and she had a bone marrow transplant—-and then she died—–and he said she wanted him to play in the game and not attend her funeral, and he played and was the star and all this was told to ESPN and South Bend Trib and sports writers all over the country who were telling this inspirational and so sad story as it progressed. And it was all a hoax.

48. 124 ouapiti
    January 16, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Rev. Al was good tonight — a very strong and moving closing calling for us all to come together — across racial, religious and political lines — to support gun control and our president and to protect our children.

49. 125 Dudette
    January 16, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Sheesh what a fugly bunch! Evil does that!

January 16, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Ted Nugent, Bob Barr, Grover (right hand feeds the left hand) Norquist, Tom Selleck, Ollie North, a handful of women = just a few recognizable names on what looks like a list of America’s top bullies aka Hate American Style, c. 2013.

• 127 Bill
      January 16, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Ms. Patricia A. Clark is from Newtown CT. She is in charge of recruiting board members.

50. January 16, 2013 at 7:04 pm

tweeters, FYI –

Sandy Hook Promise
    @sandyhook
    Sandy Hook Promise is the nonprofit organization created by members of the Newtown community in response to the Sandy Hook tragedy. Help us secure real change.

51. 132 Dudette
    January 16, 2013 at 7:05 pm
  52. January 16, 2013 at 7:10 pm
      January 16, 2013 at 7:13 pm

I’m so glad our nation’s children are in his hands on this issue.

• 138 Esi
        January 16, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Isn’t it amazing that children feel connected and trust him to write to him?. I don’t recall previous presidents getting letters from children. The lines about “I know you are doing your best… or I beg you to try very hard” just made me ball but then I am emotional today. It tells of a child trust in an adult who they believe keeps his word. It also tells of a politically informed children in a good way. Forward!

• 139 susanne
          January 16, 2013 at 8:10 pm

that’s when i lost it, too, esi: ‘i know you are doing your best.’ all of us are feeling that right now–try as hard as we can, we can’t save all the children all the time. it’s a heartbreak, and a reminder that it takes everybody, everybody together for that to happen. and our president is leading us to that place on the horizon where the impossible becomes possible, likely, done.

53. 140 Dudette
    January 16, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Think Progress has this story too:
    Whole Foods CEO: Obamacare Is ‘Like Fascism’

• 141 0388jojothecat
      January 16, 2013 at 7:18 pm

I am done shopping at A.Whole.Foods.

• 145 4morefor44
      January 16, 2013 at 7:20 pm

that guy has been a teabagger for years. remember when he was caught posing as someone else online for 7 years, and commenting favorably about himself and whole paycheck? total idiot. most of the products there can of course be found at natural food co-ops (and even better ones too), and now that it’s more mainstream, many of the bigger chains have a lot of the bigger organic companies, so there’s little reason to shop whole paychecks.

• January 16, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Exactly. I haven’t shopped there in years.

There’s a new tea I want and found out it’s only available at Whole Foods in my area so I’m just going to order it online. I have no desire to line that guy’s pockets.

• January 16, 2013 at 7:32 pm

If I want something foofoo, I go to Bristol Farms. Otherwise, it’s Trader Joe’s and my local Ralph’s. My wallet thanks me.

• January 16, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Trader Joe’s indeed. ROCKS!!!!!! Even though ours can’t sell wine (TN law–I know, stupid!), it still rocks!

• 149 Left-Indie
          January 16, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Really too bad here, cuz they have stuff that is hard to find in other stores. Talked to the manager of Trader Joe’s store close to me and asked him to please, please carry just a few things I usually buy at Whole Foods, but he couldn’t really promise that. I understand. I’m still searching for ways to avoid Wholefoods, but admit it’s gonna be hard.

• January 16, 2013 at 9:32 pm

have you checked amazon. if your a member of the “club” can’t think of what they call it it includes free shipping on everything you purchase..my neighbor, I swear, get a delivery every day. Oh if u have a kindle some deals on books and movies

54. January 16, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Because we need a moment of levity:

• January 16, 2013 at 7:25 pm

You couldn’t make it up!!! Good grief, what a joke.

• 154 necie5040
      January 16, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Lberal Librarian this doesn’ surprise me at all. Klueless Kucinich has always been Fox material, always whining and omplaining about the Democrats and hat the President does. He will fit right in at Fox, that is until he says something honest and truthful about the republican party,then he is out of there!

• 155 Dudette
      January 16, 2013 at 7:42 pm

When I saw this story on the previous post, it immediately brought to mind the line from a song by Stealers Wheel… “Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right”

PBO must feel like that a lot!

• January 16, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Re Dennis Kucinich . . . . It’s very tricky, keeping up with the ways of human beings.
      What IS he thinking about??? I must have lost track of him waaaaay back there.
      okay, off he goes, to Fox News. amazing.

• 159 nathkatun7
      January 17, 2013 at 1:18 am

Further evidence of the hypocrisy of the purity, “holier than thou,” progressives. I doubt Kucinich would have been hired by Fox News if Mitt Romney had won the election. I won’t be surprised if he ties on the role of attacking President Obama. I am sure Fox hired him to provide them cover when they unleash attacks on the President.

55. 160 Elly in Maryland
    January 16, 2013 at 7:24 pm

2 things today: I realized that electing President Obama once seemed so improbable, but many of us shared the vision and worked our bums off making it happen, it was the force of many together. I think we can do the same with gun control.

Two – this afternoon I ran into a neighbor who I know was sorely disappointed with the election, her spouse is a die-hard Republican, etc – but today she went out of her way to tell me how proud she is of Obama for his gun control efforts. She hates the NRA. Frankly, I was shocked. Then I was thrilled. I think the political winds are really changing.

The NRA has become so outrageously extremist, people of reason are totally fed up with them.

Personally I think the two most important things are hitting their pocketbooks by targeting the gun companies that sustain the NRA. And supporting politicians who dare to cross them by supporting Gabby Giffords’ new PAC.

I’m in.

January 16, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Congressman Ellison was really fired up on Rev. Al’s show, tonight. I really like that guy!

57. January 16, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Anyone having problems with Twitter, it’s gone weird on me :???:

58. January 16, 2013 at 7:32 pm

I know it’s bad to have glee at another’s expense, but I’m loving how cornered the rightwing is now, and how the MSM is floundering to keep up. :)

“Obama Approval Rating at 3-Year High”
    Gallup has Obama at 52 percent approval, a level he hasn’t seen since the beginning of 2010 and John Zogby puts the president at 56 percent approval, his best since October 2009. When he was first inaugurated, he had a 68 percent Gallup approval rating.

Reposted from earlier thread, just because it’s so delicious. Joe Scarborough tweet:
    “The House can pass comprehensive gun legislation now and have Speaker Boehner shape it, or wait two years for Speaker Pelosi to do it.”

59. 180 collegekay
    January 16, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Hey how y’all doin?

60. January 16, 2013 at 7:41 pm

And the Republics first AA President is now leading the effort to free Americans from the avaricious grip of the US weapons manufacturers and their enablers.

61. January 16, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Ok, just came up with a title for my new piece on TPV: “How Obama is destroying the GOP with the culture wars”. As it’s playing out in my head, it’ll be a doozy.

62. 197 Dudette
    January 16, 2013 at 7:49 pm
    January 16, 2013 at 7:53 pm
  64. 200 Dudette
    January 16, 2013 at 7:53 pm
    • 201 majiir
      January 17, 2013 at 12:28 am

Sucker had to back off. I think he discovered that playing the fool when 20 kids and 6 school officials have lost their lives because of an assault weapon wasn’t such a good idea after all. His rhetoric shows why he should NOT be a member of Congress–a president exercising his power to write and issue executive orders is NOT an impeachable offense. Whoever voted Stockman into office, should hang his/her head in shame. He embarrassed them, a lot. Phil Gingrey, rep. from GA, cancelled his Twitter account after endorsing Todd Akin’s legitimate rape comments. Since I live in red, red GA and have to deal with knuckleheads like these all of the time, I’m glad that some of them are being forced to rein themselves in.

65. January 16, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Okay, Twitter is back … for now.

#GunsOverPeople wasn’t meant to start until 8:0 ET, but it already has, so if you’re tweeting ;-)

66. 204 Dudette
    January 16, 2013 at 7:57 pm
  67. 205 GeejaG
    January 16, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Thank you for the continued coverage of today. This is the only place I could find the coverage you provide!

68. January 16, 2013 at 8:03 pm
  69. 208 Dudette
    January 16, 2013 at 8:04 pm
    • 209 99ts
      January 16, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Good to hear – nothing like a crazed academic to feed the RWNJs – BIG academic fail. That the media gave the story space is as even bigger MEDIA FAIL. The US media is truly unbelievable – all of it and any of it.

• 210 nathkatun7
      January 17, 2013 at 1:31 am

This idiot does not deserve the title of Professor!

70. 211 Dudette
    January 16, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Off-Topic: A mini break from the gun mess… this is fun for a good cause!!
    Wish they could’ve set the record (only a hundred people short). Hope they get it this year!

Barrelrollman – 2nd Roll Off @ Art Hill, Forest Park, St. Louis, MO 8/2012
    ———–
    On Saturday, August 18th 2012, the Barrelrollman Organization held the 2nd Barrel Roll Off @ Art Hill where the participants attempted to set the Guinness World Record for “Most People to simultaneously somersault”. Multiple News Organizations covered the event and we were featured on multiple national broadcasts. We held this event to not only set the World Record but also to raise awareness for the Nurses For Newborns Foundation which helps disadvantaged babies in St. Louis, Missouri and Memphis, Tennessee. 724 people participated which was approximately 100 people short of the Guinness World Record but we raised thousands of dollars for the Nurses for Newborns Foundation! This event was filmed with 4 cameras on the ground as well 2 cameras in a helicopter. Keep it rollin’ at http://www.barrelrollman.com and punch it!

71. 213 Dudette
    January 16, 2013 at 8:19 pm

LOL!!!

72. 214 lisalovesobama
    January 16, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Ugh! why is it taking so long for the Newsroom to getback on air? June 2013! are they crazy? Blurg!!!

• 215 Dudette
      January 16, 2013 at 8:26 pm

I bet it’ll be worth the wait. It’s HBO. They get it right!

In the meantime, I’m bummed cuz Suits is starting up again tomorrow night but it’s in the same timeslot as Scandal. Arrrgh! Guess I’ll be wearing out the DVR. :-)

73. 217 Dudette
    January 16, 2013 at 8:28 pm
  74. 219 Dudette
    January 16, 2013 at 8:29 pm
    • 221 yardarm756
      January 16, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Pls disregard this link. Tweeter has done some changing in the format which I haven’t figured out. Sorry.