Jan

New White House Photos

First Lady Michelle Obama greets David Hall, one of eight Citizen Co-Chairs for the Inauguration, in the Diplomatic Reception Room of the White House, Jan. 17, 2013 (Photo by Lawrence Jackson)

President Barack Obama meets with senior advisors in the Oval Office, Saturday, Dec. 29 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama greet members of the military and their families during Christmas dinner at Anderson Hall on Marine Corps Base Hawaii, Kaneohe Bay, Dec. 25, 2012. (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Barack Obama talks with Vice President Joe Biden and Rob Nabors, Assistant to the President and Director of Legislative Affairs, in the Oval Office, Sunday, Dec. 30 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama listen to the Seneca Valley High School Chamber Choir in the Diplomatic Reception Room of the White House following a holiday reception, Dec. 5 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Barack Obama and First Lady Michele Obama talk with the 2012 Kennedy Center Honorees in the Blue Room of the White House prior to a reception in the East Room, Dec. 2, 2012. Honorees, from left, are: Chicago bluesman Buddy Guy, Led Zeppelin keyboardist and bassist John Paul Jones, Led Zeppelin singer Robert Plant, ballerina Natalia Makarova, actor Dustin Hoffman, Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page, and television comedian David Letterman (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Barack Obama attends a Sandy Hook interfaith vigil at Newtown High School in Newtown, Conn., Sunday, Dec. 16, 2012. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama walks along the Colonnade of the White House, Dec. 12, 2012. (Photo by Pete Souza)

More new photos here

205 Responses to “New White House Photos”

1. 1 carolmaewy
    January 17, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Love the bangs!

2. 9 carolmaewy
    January 17, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Is everyone at the First Lady’s birthday party? How is the cake? Send me a piece of cake please. I love all the photos. Thanks Chips.

3. 21 carolmaewy
    January 17, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Hi Mary1. How are you?

4. January 17, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Marvelous. Especially adore the choir photo in the turquoise blue room. So sweet. I can hear music and see those kids’ pride and joy to be there and be really seen and heard by these two magnificent leaders.

5. 28 Sweet peg
    January 17, 2013 at 7:19 pm

First Lady looks simply gorgeous!

January 17, 2013 at 7:24 pm

I tell ya! Just when I thought Michelle Obama couldn’t get any more amazing looking..she blows my socks off!! She looks MARRRRRVELOUS!

7. 31 Pamela
    January 17, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Is it wine-thirty yet? ;)

8. 36 xtine
    January 17, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Ms. Evers-Williams is awesomeness defined. She was on Al’s show.

Bumped into another today’s b-day person, The Greatest Ali, a few years back & he was one of the loveliest people I’ve had the pleasure of meeting. Keep on floating like a butterfly, stinging like a bee, Mr. Ali!

9. 37 xtine
    January 17, 2013 at 7:31 pm

On a totally light note: Scandal is on tonight!

• January 17, 2013 at 7:32 pm

WORD!

I’m excited to see Fitz magically heal and rise from his sick bed! And Huck! Our crazy Huck!

• 39 Dudette
      January 17, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Oh that’s right. I’m at least two episodes behind. Eeek!
      And Suitsseason premiere comes on at the same time!!!

• 40 LadyTNT
        January 17, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Dudette, how could you?!! 2 episodes behind? Where they do that at ? You need to catch up honey!!! It’s a must!!!

• 41 Dudette
          January 17, 2013 at 8:49 pm

I know. Life honey. Everythings drops on you at once. Just made arrangements today to have two wisdom teeth yanked out of my head next Friday. If it ain’t one thing it’s another. [sigh!]

• 42 LadyTNT
            January 17, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Yeah, I understand!! Fortunately, life has been allowing me to sit in front of my tv on Thursday @ 9pm. Wisdom teeth pulled!!! I heard that is hell!! Hopefully, the pain meds will have you in la la land. What’s the age those things should start growing in because I don’t have any yet.

• 43 Dudette
              January 17, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Whatever “the age” is, I’m way past it. Everyone I mention it too says,” oh wow, you just now getting that done? I had mine out long ago.” Whatever. They didn’t start bothering me until now. So I’m special. Probably means it’ll be that much more difficult to yank ‘em. Torture table for 1.

10. January 17, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Michelle
    Michelle looks beautiful.

11. 46 Dudette
    January 17, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Date night for FLOTUS’ birthday is a Cafe Milano in DC. We can’t be with them in person, but, thank goodness for the interwebs, we can check out the restaurant. :-D

Nice!!! :-)

Click on the News & Video link to see a video interview of Owner Franco Nuschese.

12. 48 Dudette
    January 17, 2013 at 7:38 pm

13. 49 Dudette
    January 17, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Fixed this to include FLOTUS’ new twitter handle and Betty’s. :-)

14. 53 Dudette
    January 17, 2013 at 7:41 pm

• January 17, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Oh, she is the most phenomenal person. One of my close friends studied with her in a master’s program at UT-A many years ago. I really looked up to her and cherish the archival footage we have to celebrate her life.

• 56 Alycee (@jazziz2)
      January 17, 2013 at 8:35 pm

One of my Sheros! I used to cut school, take the train to DC and follow her and Shirley Chisholm all over the Hill.

• 58 nathkatun7
      January 17, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Thanks Dudette for sharing this! Barbara Jordan was such a powerful force in the Country. She inspired so many young people during my time. Her 1976 Keynote speech at the Democratic Convention that nominated Jimmy Carter was, in my opinion, as good and as powerful as PBO’s 2004 keynote speech at the Democratic Convention that nominated John Kerry.

• 60 yardarm756
      January 17, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Wow 9t9 you’re on a roll this evening. Talk about fired up!

• 63 jackiegrumbacher
      January 17, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Oh, Dudette. I saw wish her voice were back on the national scene. She could speak and hold an audience like no one except President Obama. And she always spoke truth. I loved her.

15. 65 Dudette
    January 17, 2013 at 7:42 pm

16. 71 Dudette
    January 17, 2013 at 7:44 pm

• 72 Dudette
      January 17, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Forgot to warn you: Just skip on by #18 in the gallery, clearly not for faint of heart or weak of stomach.

17. 73 Dudette
    January 17, 2013 at 7:47 pm

More birthdays….

18. January 17, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Ouchie!

19. 79 Dudette
    January 17, 2013 at 7:48 pm

20. 80 Dudette
    January 17, 2013 at 7:49 pm

21. 81 Dudette
    January 17, 2013 at 7:49 pm

22. 92 Dudette
    January 17, 2013 at 7:52 pm

23. January 17, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Love the photos, Chips!!!!

Forgive me for being a pest, but everyone (lurkers included) really do need to read:

THE HIDDEN HISTORY OF THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Here’s a little tidbit of deconstructing the MYTH of the ‘militia’ and gun ownership in pre-revolutionary, revolutionary & post-revolutionary America …

“Most militiamen were not even good shots.[168] We think of men as having grown up with guns in colonial America.[169] We assume they were sharpshooters by necessity. Did not men have to become proficient with muskets to protect themselves from ruffians and Indians or to hunt to put food on the table? Contrary to myth, the answer, in the main, is no. In reality, few Americans owned guns.[170] When Michael A. Bellesiles reviewed more than a thousand probate records from frontier areas of northern New England and western Pennsylvania for the years 1765 to 1790, he found that although the records were so detailed that they listed items as small as broken cups, only fourteen percent of the household inventories included firearms and [Page 342] fifty-three percent of those guns were listed as not working.[171] In addition, few Americans hunted. Bellesiles writes: “From the time of the earliest colonial settlements, frontier families had relied on Indians or professional hunters for wild game, and the colonial assemblies regulated all forms of hunting, as did Britain’s Parliament.”[172]”

#NowIsTheTime

Yes We Can

• 96 jackiegrumbacher
      January 17, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Interesting, Bob. Guns were probably too expensive for most people to own. So if early Americans didn’t hunt, where did our vaunted hunting culture come from? Wouldn’t hunting as sport have been elitist, something imported from the higher ranks of European society?

• January 17, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Hunting, for hundreds of years, was strictly regulated in England – and limited to Kings & rich folk. Even in Colonial America, hunting was regulated and largely the work of professionals.

An effort to strip away all the myths is long over due. Bogus’ Law Review article does a spectacular job of providing screen writers plenty of substance for what could be a very entertaining deconstruction of a vast edifice of MYTH.

Education remains the most potent tool for civilization building.

#FORWARD

• January 17, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Core …

“The fundamental problem with the view that the Second Amendment mandates a universal militia is the Constitution itself. Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution provides that Congress has the power to organize the militia. Some of the Founders may have believed in a universal militia, but in their collective wisdom they ultimately decided not to write an immutable definition of the militia into the Constitution. When Madison referred to “the militia” in the Second Amendment, he knew full well the term was already defined in the main body of the Constitution, and we must presume the members of the First Congress and the state legislatures knew this as well. Nothing in the Second Amendment changed Article I, Section 8. Indeed, Madison himself said that nothing in the Bill of Rights altered the Constitution. We cannot give “militia” a different meaning in the Second Amendment than that expressly given to it in the main body of the Constitution without violating cardinal principles of constitutional construction.”

ibid.

24. 99 lockewasright
    January 17, 2013 at 7:59 pm

My wife assaulted me last night. We were lying in bed after putting the kids down for the night, brushing our teeth, and whatever it is that she does in the bathroom for 7 or 8 years every night. As usual, I was having trouble falling asleep. I kept flipping my pillow over and complaining that I couldn’t get comfortable. She said that I should just get a new pillow. I said that I had been thinking about getting one of the new corduroy ones that are all the rage now. My wife said she’d not heard about them. I expressed my disbelief that she hadn’t heard about them. She asked where I found out about them. All I did was say: “Corduroy pillows are all over the place. They’re making all of the headlines!”

That’s when she hit me! Should I call the cops? Think I have a case?

(True story. Yes, she really did hit me too.)

• 100 lisalovesobama
      January 17, 2013 at 8:24 pm

I’m trying to figure out if you are joking about the ‘assault’ thing: did she just smack you like ‘you’re so silly’ or did she really wallop you? If you are serious, um, I don’t know what to tell you? It depends on how safe you feel around her. if you’re joking, then: hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! “corduroy pillows!” Never heard of them.
      ps- I hope this isn’t a real cry for help, cause if so, then I’ll look like a real azz****

• 130 LadyTNT
      January 17, 2013 at 8:29 pm

LOL, no you do not have a case! Now if she would have smothered you with said pillow……..

25. January 17, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Reactionary freaks:

26. January 17, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Ummmmmmmmm…….Chips…………whoooopsie doodle……..

27. January 17, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Hellooooooo everyone – I’ve added a link to the sidebar on the right (second from the top) with the Inauguration weekend schedule, just in case (like me) you keep forgetting the times of everything :oops:

January 17, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Our VP Biden really loves his job. He’s always smiling, always cracking a joke, always warm and friendly. Could anyone say the same about the previous VP? I don’t think so. Our VP Joe can go from making our President laugh to being his solid and trusted adviser on very serious matters. We won’t get another VP Biden any time soon. So Let’s savor these next four years as much as we can and don’t nobody rain our Parade!!

January 17, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Bloomy is no longer gloomy.

January 17, 2013 at 8:26 pm

• 167 carolyn
      January 17, 2013 at 8:46 pm

There is some severe paranoia expressed in that article! You’re right amk…the FBI definitely needs to visit him! Some of the commenters are equally paranoid.

31. 169 Dudette
    January 17, 2013 at 8:41 pm

32. 172 lisalovesobama
    January 17, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Does it make me a loser to be dying to see Miche on the 21st? Arg!! I’m in Miche-drawal. :(

33. 178 sonjiaduncan
    January 17, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Love FLOTUS new look. She looks great, but she even looks good in jeans and a baseball cap.

34. 181 Dudette
    January 17, 2013 at 9:14 pm

35. 193 0388jojothecat
    January 17, 2013 at 9:19 pm

WOW….so many wonderful people born on this day. Can’t wait to hear what PBO and family did for FLOTUS today. I look forward to hearing about it HERE!

36. 197 Dudette
    January 17, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Someone just reminded me of this! :-)

37. 198 Dudette
    January 17, 2013 at 9:31 pm

38. 200 Dudette
    January 17, 2013 at 9:56 pm

One more… couldn’t resist this one! http://www.alicenter.org/

39. 201 Dudette
    January 17, 2013 at 10:06 pm

You wanna see this video…