Jan

Inauguration TV Coverage

All times Eastern (click ‘Inauguration Schedule’ second from top on the right sidebar for, well, the Inauguration (weekend) Schedule).

ABC

Coverage kicks off on Sunday with a special report on the president’s oath of office at 11:55 am, followed by continuous coverage on Monday from 9:30 am – 5 pm, anchored by Dan Harris along with Olivier Knox. Evening coverage continues with a live feed from both inaugural balls, and ABC News and Yahoo! will stream a post-inaugural show called After: The 2nd Inauguration of President Barack Obama, on Tuesday at 10 am …

BET & CENTRIC

Ed Gordon and Cynne Simpson will anchor coverage of the inauguration and celebrate the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday from the roof of the Newseum in Washington, D.C., airing live at 11 am Jan. 21. Live coverage of the parade will be featured on the networks starting at 3 pm ….

CBS
Scott Pelley will lead CBS News’ live coverage of the inauguration, including the official swearing in at the White House on Sunday, Jan. 20 …

The network’s Inauguration Day coverage on Monday begins with a three-hour CBS This Morning at 7am co-hosted by Charlie Rose, Gayle King and Norah O’Donnell from the National Mall. Immediately following this, Pelley will begin anchoring CBS News’ daylong inauguration broadcast (10 am – 4pm)….

CNN

CNN’s coverage will begin with the private ceremony on Sunday, Jan. 20 …. starting at 10 am and leading up to a primetime special at 8 pm. Inauguration eve special editions of Piers Morgan Tonight and Anderson Cooper 360 will follow.

On Jan. 21, Early Start With John Berman and Zoraida Sambolin and Starting Point With Soledad O’Brien begin CNN’s coverage at 5 am. At 9 am, Wolf Blitzer will be joined by John Berman, Kate Bolduan, Soledad O’Brien and Jessica Yellin, live from the U.S. Capitol West Front, while Anderson Cooper will be on the National Mall with Gloria Borger, David Gergen, John King, Brooke Baldwin and Don Lemon….

On Monday, Candy Crowley will report from the inauguration ceremony platform…..

C-SPAN

C-SPAN‘s coverage of begins with a look back at his first. On Sunday, Jan. 20, at 10:30 am, the network will look back at his 2009 inaugural address. This is followed by a discussion with former presidential speechwriters about this year’s address and how past inaugural addresses have been crafted. Then, there will be live coverage of the president’s official swearing in by Chief Justice John Roberts at 11:55 am.

On Jan. 21, C-SPAN’s live coverage of the inauguration begins at 7 am….

MSNBC

On Sunday, Jan. 20, Up With Chris Hayes (8 am) and Melissa Harris-Perry (10 am) will start from Washington, D.C. Then, Chuck Todd will anchor live coverage of the private swearing-in ceremony beginning at 11:50 am.

On Monday, Jan. 21, Way too Early and an extended Morning Joe will be live from The Dubliner from 5:30 – 10 am, with Joe Scarborough, Mika Brzezinski and Willie Geist. Guests will include Colin Powell, Sen. Tim Kaine, David Axelrod, Maureen Dowd – :roll: – Mike Barnicle, Michael Steele and Alex Wagner.

MSNBC’s coverage of the inauguration then continues live from 10 am – 4 pm, hosted by Rachel Maddow and Chris Matthews, with Lawrence O’Donnell, Ed Schultz and Rev. Al Sharpton….

MSNBC’s regularly scheduled programming picks up at 4 pm with Martin Bashir and continues through primetime, with hosts live in Washington.

Full details here

243 Responses to “Inauguration TV Coverage”

1. 1 carolmaewy
    January 18, 2013 at 9:34 pm

I lost my last comment. Hello!

2. January 18, 2013 at 9:35 pm

YAY! I needed this.

3. January 18, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Congrats, Carol.

Never, ever forget ….

Yes We Did

January 18, 2013 at 9:37 pm

what, no pox noise coverage?

5. 27 Betsy
    January 18, 2013 at 9:38 pm

WHY is Dowd there????

January 18, 2013 at 9:38 pm

I’ll watch it on BBC, thank you.

January 18, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Daddy Warbucks! I miss him.

8. 38 carolmaewy
    January 18, 2013 at 9:40 pm

I was crying after listening to Woody Guthrie and the video.

9. January 18, 2013 at 9:41 pm

I will be glued. So exciting.

January 18, 2013 at 9:42 pm

All times eastern.

Yeah, east rulez, baybee.

11. January 18, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Any one else see this? I am looking to see where I can find and watch in its entirety.

• January 18, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Haven’t seen it, but thanked her!

• January 18, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Don’t know, but I’ll check. Found this, btw (dated today):

The Conspiracy to Commit Legislative Constipation

• January 18, 2013 at 9:57 pm

From April 2012:

The Last Word – Secret meeting to take down Obama exposed

On Obama’s inauguration day, Congressional Republican leadership held a secret meeting where they agreed to oppose President Obama on every economic proposal according to Robert Draper’s new book ["Do Not Ask What Good We Do: Inside the U.S. House of Representatives"]. Draper joins MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell and Krystal Ball to discuss the President’s path forward.

• January 18, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Thank you, northanger. Some of us have been writing and tweeting about this for a very long time and we will not let the issue drop until EVERY American is made aware that on the night of the Inauguration of President Obama a group of GOP leaders plotted to destroy his Presidency irrespective of the fact that America was facing a global great depression, was deeply entrenched in two failed wars, was about to witness the dissolution of its automobile manufacturing industry and support infrastructure, and much more.

Those GOP traitors were precisely the enemy within that Lincoln acknowledged in his Lyceum Address would be the only way America would ever be destroyed – not by any conglomerate of external forces but by internal insurgents.

We didn’t just re-elect President Obama on 6 Nov 2012, we defeated that insurgency. But, the war is not over. We must obliterate those who serve the plutocrats, the bigots, the misogynists, and the racists. That is what we must do, every day. In a democracy, the defense of inalienable rights and the expansion of opportunities for every person, is a never-ending pursuit. It is the only pursuit worthy of our total dedication.

Yes We Can

• January 18, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Some of us have been writing and tweeting about this for a very long time and we will not let the issue drop until EVERY American is made aware that on the night of the Inauguration of President Obama a group of GOP leaders plotted to destroy his Presidency…

Thank *YOU* Bobfr! That’s how I found out about it — YOU :). Going thru my notes now — Here’s Rev. Al, June 2012:

Rev. Al Sharpton Catches Newt Gingrich Telling A Big Fat Fairy Tale

Among the great moments in Rev. Al Sharpton‘s epic interview with former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich Tuesday night was a bit of pit-bull followup that was magnificent to behold. Gingrich was spinning a wonderful fairy tale about how he had liked the cut of Barack Obama‘s gib back in 2009, was feeling the inspiration and hope for a better tomorrow, and was all set to give him a chance, until the President’s awful un-bipartisanship ruined everything. Then, Rev. Al turned him on a dime with a little thing called “the truth.”

In this section of the interview, Rev. Al was discussing a passage from Robert Draper‘s Do Not Ask What Good We Do in which Gingrich participates in an Inauguration Night meeting with Republican Congressional leaders to plot their return to power, vowing to “show united and unyielding opposition to the president’s economic policies.”

• 56 carolmaewy
          January 18, 2013 at 10:13 pm

YES WE CAN! ! !

• 57 ranman11
          January 18, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Bob, I am a witness to you effort of constantly and consistently speaking to this traitorous act by at lest 15 elected congressional officials. I advanced this traitorous act as often as I could. I am glad that RW shills like Andrea Mitchell of MSNBC (Alan Greenspan’s wife) has acknowledge this treasonous act in the last few days. Keep up the Good Work!

• January 18, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Good idea! I’ll get the names….

• January 18, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Much appreciated, ranman. We all have a duty to defend America and our President from these insurgents. And …

Yes We Can

• January 18, 2013 at 11:13 pm

Excerpt: Do Not Ask What Good We Do

PROLOGUE

Evening, January 20, 2009

You could fit the number of Republicans who were out on the town the night of Barack Obama’s inauguration around a single dining room table.

There were about fifteen of them, all white males, plus a few spouses. The venue was the Caucus Room, an expense-account steakhouse halfway between the White House and the Capitol. A seething winter chill was the least of their discomforts that evening. Nearly a half-million people had begun to congregate on the National Mall on Sunday, January 18, 2009 — two days before the inauguration. By the time Obama was sworn in on Tuesday, the number had reached 1.8 million. The nation’s capital had never hosted a crowd that large, not for any reason. Definitely not for the previous president, George W. Bush, who had been jeered that afternoon as a helicopter whisked him off to Texas. Now the occupant of the White House was a Democrat. The House and Senate were controlled by Democrats. Barricades still lined the streets outside, as if at any moment the ruling party might engulf the Caucus Room and finish off what was left of the Republicans.

On such a night, it was a comfort to suffer among friends. Most of them — Eric Cantor, Kevin McCarthy, Paul Ryan, Pete Sessions, Jeb Hensarling, Pete Hoekstra, and Dan Lungren — were members of the U.S. House of Representatives. Five served in the Senate: Jim DeMint, Jon Kyl, Tom Coburn, John Ensign, and Bob Corker. The other three invitees were conservative journalist Fred Barnes of the Weekly Standard, former House Speaker (and future presidential candidate) Newt Gingrich, and communications specialist Frank Luntz. Most of them had attended the inauguration. That astounding vista of humanity on the Mall would haunt them more than last November’s electoral margins. McCarthy, a California congressman who had thus far served only a single term in the House, had made a game effort of viewing the event for the historic moment it was. He’d procured Obama’s autograph and even that of Obama’s sister. As the unworldly progeny of the Bakersfield working class, Kevin McCarthy had been dazzled to be included in such a tableau. As a Republican, he and the others in the room were devastated.

Luntz had organized the dinner — telling the invitees, “You’ll have nothing to do that night, and right now we don’t matter anyway, so let’s all be irrelevant together.” He had selected these men because they were among the Republican Party’s most energetic thinkers — and because they all got along with Luntz, who could be difficult. Three times during the 2008 election cycle, Sean Hannity had thrown him off the set at Fox Studios. The top Republican in the House, Minority Leader John Boehner, had nurtured a dislike of Luntz for more than a decade. No one had to ask why Boehner wasn’t at the Caucus Room that evening.

The dinner tables were set up in a square, at Luntz’s request, so that everyone could see each other and talk freely. He asked that Gingrich speak first. It was Newt, after all, who had pulled the Republicans out of a far deeper hole fourteen years ago, leading the GOP to a takeover of the House for the first time since 1955.

Gingrich was happy to oblige. Obama’s inaugural speech was impressive, the former Speaker said. The evocations of constitutional principles, pragmatism, and risk-taking — “those could have been our words.” Someone ought to laminate Obama’s speech and disseminate it, the better to hold the president accountable to his pledges.

Being competitors, however, they did not dwell on Obama’s seeming invincibility. They’d been thrashed, it was roundly agreed, because they had it coming. They ended up chucking their own principles and standing for nothing. They’d spent the last eight years defending policies they never should have signed on to in the first place. They’d lost their way. “We got obsessed with governing,” Ensign said — adding with distaste, “making sure the trains run on time. Well, what if the train is heading towards the cliff?”

• January 18, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Transcript: ‘The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell’ for Wednesday, April 25, 2012

LAWRENCE O`DONNELL, HOST: Well, now we know. Now, I know some of you think you already knew this, but you didn`t know it, you just suspected it. And there`s a big difference between knowing and suspecting, but now we know, we know the day, we know the very day the Republicans secretly vowed to oppose every single thing that President Obama would try to do. That`s right, you were right. It was the day he was inaugurated president of the United States.

• 63 Betsy
      January 18, 2013 at 10:11 pm

The good Rachel was on tonight. I really enjoyed her show.

• January 18, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Frontline, Jan 15, 2013–

The Republicans’ Plan for the New President

On the night of Barack Obama’s inauguration, a group of top GOP luminaries quietly gathered in a Washington steakhouse to lick their wounds and ultimately create the outline of a plan for how to deal with the incoming administration.

“The room was filled. It was a who’s who of ranking members who had at one point been committee chairmen, or in the majority, who now wondered out loud whether they were in the permanent minority,” Frank Luntz, who organized the event, told FRONTLINE.

Among them were Senate power brokers Jim DeMint, Jon Kyl and Tom Coburn, and conservative congressmen Eric Cantor, Kevin McCarthy and Paul Ryan.

After three hours of strategizing, they decided they needed to fight Obama on everything. The new president had no idea what the Republicans were planning.

• 66 prettyfoot58
      January 19, 2013 at 12:02 am
    • 67 dee
      January 19, 2013 at 12:10 am

watched. tues night. Yes they interviewed those there like Luntz, the narrator said that the president didnt know what was coming at him. Well he recovered quite nicely! Look what they did today, capitulated, on the debt ceiling.

12. 68 WilTal
    January 18, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Lurker in for a comment. Chips, two words for you and your regulars – MIGHTY WARRIORS! Thank you for all that you provide – I have learned so much from each of you. It’s a pleasure to lurk here everyday.

I came in to wish all who are attending the Inauguration, safe travel and all the best for a fantastic weekend. Each one of you deserve to be there, as you have fought daily with the spirit of warriors on behalf of our President. Good hearted people working well together is an unbeatable formula for achieving anything. You should be so proud!

I am so excited for all of you who will be meeting your fellow TODers face-to-face for the first time – wow! I’ll be watching from the comfort of my home: TOD on my computer and PBO on my Tube = wonderful combination. Other than to be in Washington, I can’t ask for anything more.

Walk in Peace and Love!

13. January 18, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Maureen Dowd? Say it ain’t so!

14. January 18, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Facts are our friends …

15. January 18, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Astonishing!

16. 83 idon
    January 18, 2013 at 9:54 pm

I’m so excited about inauguration. Thank you for posting link to all info. I am soooooooooooo glad the secret service has “insanely tight” security for PBO’s second inauguration. I love love love Mrs. O’s new look with bangs. OMG!! I cannot stop at pics of her. And I am dying to know what she and the girls will be wearing. And I am so so excited.

January 18, 2013 at 9:57 pm

:shock: :shock: I had a really big FIRST today – I was on the subway in Washington DC!! The subway! Washington DC! On a Friday night!! As your now resident metro ‘expert’ I can tell you about the RED line AND the BLUE line! Ask me anything. /smirk/ Yeah, right. ;) ;) This is also my first time in Wash DC, and wouldn’t you know the Doofus, namely me, left her camera in her carry-on bag in the hotel room for this jaunt on the wild side! Oh well, I was starving when I left the hotel and the sights were the last thing on my mind (or stomach). I did do one of the bus tours after feeding my crying stomach, and I waved to POTUS from WAAAAY down the street and I imagined he would have waved back if he had seen me. Did he mention anything about waving to anyone at around 5:30-ish? Or did you see him crossing the lawn and waving? That would have been to me.

Now that I’m somewhat over the shock of this first-time experience, I’d best go see what you all have been up to in my absence. Caio!

• January 18, 2013 at 10:11 pm

You’re a charm, VC, and delighted to know you are in DC for this most special time.

We lived there for many years and it is a magical place, for sure.

January 18, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Hi ya, friend, it’s been a while since we’ve met face to face, but I do notice when I peek in that you continue to do your excellent job of keeping the ball a-rolling. Good job!

BTW, thanks a lot! /in great indignation/ As if I don’t have enough on my plate finding my way around, you want me to start searching for ‘magic’ too? No can do. I haven’t been looking but I haven’t spotted any magic yet so I’m going to conclude you and your wife took it with you when you moved away..;)

• January 18, 2013 at 10:35 pm

You’re so much fun, VC.

‘Magic’ in DC we could never take with us :)

Many nights we’d sit on the docks of the Potomac Boat Club, look through one of the arches of Key Bridge at the Washington Memorial or stand at the top of the steps of the Lincoln Memorial and gaze across the reflecting pool at the Washington Memorial. It’s endless, the views and the places – like spending a long Sunday afternoon at the Phillips Collection or the Freer (a place that my artist wife had one of the most special experiences of her career).

Cheers!!!

• 88 carolyn
            January 18, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I lived in DC for six years…..loved it. Visiting the Lincoln Memorial, or any other site in the evening when everyone is gone, is absolutely wonderful. Once you’ve lived there, you carry it with you always……I wish I could be at the inauguration, but I can visualize every space in my mind, and put myself back there so easily.
            Perhaps the most memorable before these two, was JFK’s when it snowed the night before, and Jackie stepped out in that elegant coat, boots and hat combo. Like everyone else, I will be glued to the TV and TOD.
            How can it be four years already since the first inauguration? We were all SO relieved. The eight year GWB nightmare was over, and life looked up again. And now, the country is moving ahead. We didn’t even know that day HOW bad off we were, but we soon found out. Bless President Obama for his persistence and vision to bring us to where we are today, IN SPITE of the Republicans. They will not win.
            Those of you privileged to be at this wonderful event, have a great time, absorb all the magnificence and joy, and we’ll live it through you.

• 89 dee
              January 19, 2013 at 12:16 am

I lived and worked in DC back in 1975, when you could still drive in front of the white house. My hubby and I were young, no kids and we went on tours in the White House, Smithsonian, “Human Kindness Day” lying out on a blanket with thousands , listening to Stevie Wonder in concert on the Mall., and so much more. Happy Inauguration to us all!

• 90 Alycee (@jazziz2)
                January 19, 2013 at 1:56 am

I remember those days — all ended in 83 after the Beirut bombing… My grandmother, who died in 2003 at the age of 104, used to reminisce about Sunday picnics on the White House lawn.

January 19, 2013 at 6:24 am

What I wouldn’t give to be able to drop in on a Sunday picnic tomorrow on today’s White House! Why, I would even go to church tomorrow, if I could visit the Obamas’ church while they were in attendance and try to pretend I was paying attention to the pastor’s message. ;) Ah! So good one doesn’t have to pay for dreams.

January 19, 2013 at 6:15 am

Thanks, Carolyn! Bless Pres O for his persistence and vision indeed! I’ve spotted lots of signs in restaurants (off the path, I’m told) offering ‘come view with us’ invitations! The mood is building.

January 18, 2013 at 10:28 pm

YEA!!!!!!!!!!! DC ain’t seen nothing yet! Have a great time, vc. FInd that damn camera and don’t take it our of your hands. We expect lots of pics!! Wave to them for us:)

January 19, 2013 at 6:11 am

Morning, Desertf! Happy eve-of-inauguration-official-swearing in! You have been told that my picture-taking is not even close to the level of Ms Chips, right? At least Chips can get an entire fleet of porta-potties in one frame! Me, I still haven’t figured out how to get the head and feet in the same frame, even though I have one of those ‘camera for dummies’, but I’m willing to try when I get out there today. The plan is to get closer to the WH, if possible. We’ll see.

January 19, 2013 at 9:28 am

Morning, vc!! I know about the sucky camera skills. I wrote the book on that, but you may just be surprised……and if the pics come out badly, then we can all have a laugh together:) The most important thing is, you’re there!!! Remember, throw yourself at someone with a microphone, give a big “T” sign and then share all your pride for the world to see!

• 96 susanne
      January 18, 2013 at 11:12 pm

so glad you’re there! and having fun already! plus, you already forgot your camera, so you got that frustration out of the way! stay safe, drink water, and remember to breathe! :)

18. January 18, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Does anyone know what song the first couple is dancing to and who is singing?

19. 98 Dudette
    January 18, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Dang, my slow butt didn’t even realize there was another thread. LOL!

Anyway I gotta roll. See you guys! Might be back later.

20. January 18, 2013 at 10:03 pm

“Before there is any long-term debt limit increase, a budget should be passed that cuts spending,” Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) told the Republican conference in remarks to close the party’s three-day retreat in Williamsburg. “The Democratic-controlled Senate has failed to pass a budget for four years. That is a shameful run that needs to end, this year.”WILLIAMSBURG, Va. — House Republican leaders on Friday announced a plan to condition a three-month increase in the debt limit on the Senate committing to pass a budget by the April 15 statutory deadline.

They seem to be playing games? On tax day?

21. 108 GGail
    January 18, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Chipsticks, thank you so much for the Coverage link!
    Tomorrow I’ll be at my Councilmember Bernard Parks booth delivering and collecting household items for the Good Shepherd Shelter for battered women with children as my National Day of Service work. After that – I have a date with President Obama, First Lady Obama, Vice President Biden and VP First Lady Biden and the best blog leader of the free world….CHIPSTICKS :-) I normally rise at 4am to get ready for work so Monday will be a snap! :D

January 18, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Firefox 18.0.1 released.

• 110 carolmaewy
      January 18, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Amk for Obama, have you told the backstory on your avatar? Just came across it on my FB page when I checked out an ad.

• 111 amk for obama
        January 18, 2013 at 11:24 pm

I know that it’s a photo taken when Bo arrived at WH with a lei around his neck. Is there any other story ?

• 112 carolmaewy
          January 19, 2013 at 1:38 am

Someone gave the photo to a professional embroidery company. Think they specialize in dogs, cats. So they embroidered the photo of Bo. It’s really beautiful. They gave it as a gift to the Obama’s.

23. January 18, 2013 at 10:21 pm
    January 18, 2013 at 10:21 pm

I have to read all these comments…but this song came to my mind for this amazing President’s 2nd Inauguration Weekend!!

25. January 18, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Hmmm. I have to work Monday, and my cable DVR is not hooked up until Jan 26th. I have a regular DVR, but it can only record one station at a time. So I have to decide which channel to watch. I can get the basic cable channels, and the lower digitals, but that’s it. So it’s gonna be either one of the networks and then one of the cable news nets.

Which one should I chose?

I’ll be setting the DVR before I go to work.

If ya’ll had to choose which 2 would you guys choose?

26. 125 lamh36
    January 18, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Just watched the Series Finale of Fringe on FOX. As a diehard fan, IT WAS AWESOME. It’s definitely gonna be on my list of favorite Sci-fi series finales. Heck it’s gonna be on my list of favorite all time finales too.

Welp, first, Star Trek:The Next Generation, then, The X-files, now Fringe. WTF sci-fi program am I supposed to watch now? Here’s hoping there are more new sci-fi shows like it next season.

27. January 18, 2013 at 10:29 pm
  28. January 18, 2013 at 10:38 pm
  29. January 18, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Yes We Know

Yes We Can

30. January 18, 2013 at 10:46 pm

I saved my vacation time this last year so I could attend the inauguration but in the end, I couldn’t get away from work. However I got news today that I don’t have to work all weekend so at least I can watch the festivities on TV. My boss will be working all three days. I am going to record it too. I am already getting excited.

• 136 susanne
      January 18, 2013 at 11:03 pm

aloha jackie! we’ll be watching it together, right here, with the terrific tod peeps we know and love. no cold feet, no lines for the bathroom, and all the cheezy puffs we can stash.
      however…. wouldn’t it be grand to actually be there, in the presence of this moment in history!? i’m going to call on our tod envoy to keep us in the loop–we are there if you take us!

January 19, 2013 at 12:16 am

Jackie – Let’s meet up on TOD!

31. 138 a4alice
    January 18, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Oh you guys i gotta go to bed. doin that National day of Service thingy.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

32. 141 anniebella
    January 18, 2013 at 10:53 pm

I did not watch the Last Word tonight, Ezra Klein were hosting, can’t stand him.

• 142 susanne
      January 18, 2013 at 11:04 pm

thanks for the heads up, anniebella. that guy creeps me out. is it true that it’s safe to watch rachel?

• 143 theo67
      January 18, 2013 at 11:15 pm

I watched him. His closing segment was pretty good and made me think – he was talking about the right wingers and their business cohorts so cavalierly proposing raising the Social Security age to 70, and mocking people for thinking it’s too old to be working the line, doing hard labor. He also mentioned that many hard working people actually end up retiring at 62, and taking the penalty, because they just can’t work anymore at their hard jobs. Meanwhile, young and rich people (like him *cough*) find it very easy to mock these people who want to retire before 70. He also brought up the fact that the rich stop paying into SS at 100K, while those who make 60K pay SS out of every dollar that they earn… It was an interesting segment – but I couldn’t tell you what else he talked about. I listened to the rest with one ear.

• 144 susanne
        January 18, 2013 at 11:17 pm

thanks for the report, theo.

January 19, 2013 at 10:44 am

Klein can’t tell me anything about the Republicans that I don’t already know. Klein and his wife push that phony B.S. of a story about the President not hiring women. No thanks to Ezra Klein for me.

January 19, 2013 at 12:09 am

I had worked 30 years for the federal government but was three years shy, age-wise, of being retirement eligible – according to the 30/55 full-retirement formula. When an early way out was available, for which I voluntarily applied when it was offered, I left with a 6% penalty (plus I got a nice 25K incentive bonus, since somebody losing another federal job in another state was able to move into mine if I left at that exact point). I was 52, and picked up my federal pension immediately, minus the penalty.

When I retired, I had an office job in management, but it was very, very intense (even though I loved doing it), and I felt like if I didn’t leave then, they’d have to “carry me out.” They brought in my replacement a month early, so I could train her, and my boss asked if I’d stay yet another month for the transition, and I said, uh, no thanks. I worked for another 9 years telecommuting from home as a freelancer/federal contractor at some point after that, which I also loved doing. Started collecting Social Security just after I turned 62. Hung a sign over my desk at home: The allure of the corner office without that tiresome office part.

So, I’ve been officially retired for 14 years. The thought of working until I were 70, working those 14 years straight through plus another four from this point … well, Kill Me Now. And I was doing mental labor, not physical labor “on the line.” Being forced to wait until you are 70 to retire is brutally unfair. If you want to do it, go for it. If you can’t, pray that nobody changes the Social Security age much higher than it already is.

• 147 yardarm756
          January 19, 2013 at 1:11 am

My train was on the same track jo.

• 149 theo67
          January 19, 2013 at 1:21 am

That all sounds kind of lovely. Enjoy retirement!

• 151 carolmaewy
          January 19, 2013 at 1:46 am

My husband served four years in Navy, went to school on GI bill and then worked three years in Hospitals, about a year in oilfield and he’s been working in same coal mine for thirty-five years. He is wore out. He’s looking forward to retiring at sixty-two. I’m looking forward to it too.

January 19, 2013 at 11:21 am

“They cut the coal” – I’m reminded about Winston Churchill’s great remarks on coal miners. Please give your husband a big hug from this coal miner’s granddaughter! My grandfather went into the coal mines at age 11 in 1896 to help support his family. I don’t know how the miners do it!

• 153 carolmaewy
              January 19, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Thank you. Hugs generously given to a very good and decent man. :) please tell me where I can find Churchill’s quote?

January 19, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Found this … from Churchill’s remarks in October 1942, addressing a conference of coal-mine operators and miners in Westminster’s Central Hall …

“We shall not fail, and then some day, when children ask, ‘What did you do to win this inheritance for us and to make our name so respected among men?’ one will say, ‘I was a fighter pilot,’ another will say, ‘I was in the Submarine Service,’ another: ‘I marched with the Eighth Army; a fourth will say, ‘None of us could have lived without the convoys and the Merchant Seaman’ and you in your turn will say, with equal pride and with equal right: ‘We cut the coal.'”

Sigh. Always gets me.

33. January 18, 2013 at 11:03 pm
  34. 160 carolmaewy
    January 18, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Will the TOD site be up and running on Inauguration day, or is Chips taking a well-deserved off?

January 18, 2013 at 11:11 pm
  36. January 18, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Thanks for a wonderful round up of information. If we miss anything it won’t be TOD’s fault. Chips has us covered.

January 18, 2013 at 11:40 pm
  38. January 18, 2013 at 11:47 pm

Nice to see Michael getting into the swing of things …

January 18, 2013 at 11:57 pm
  40. January 19, 2013 at 12:00 am
    • 175 utaustinliberal
      January 19, 2013 at 12:05 am

Completely agree. It’s one of the stupidest articles ever written.

January 19, 2013 at 12:13 am

Those “thinkers” should know that nobody gives a flying eff what they think about Mrs. Obama.

• 177 joyfulmeme
        January 19, 2013 at 1:34 am

Personally, I am sick of folks advise on what PBO and Flotus should be doing. They are smart savvy adults and can make their own decisions regarding their family. They all seem very happy. Why mess with that?

January 19, 2013 at 12:02 am

Night all. See you tomorrow. TIme for bed!

January 19, 2013 at 12:05 am
    January 19, 2013 at 12:10 am
    • 184 susanne
      January 19, 2013 at 12:36 am

oh, lordy lordy. that just says it all.

• 185 Obama Grandmama
      January 19, 2013 at 1:59 am

I was trying to remember another Oprah interview that was about Lance Armstrong but by a girlfriend/fiancé that was a singer. I looked his history up and saw that it was Sheryl Crow. It must have been in 2006 as that was the year they split up as it wasvery fresh for her. That interview told me all I needed to know about Lance Armstrong’s character. Sheryl told the story about him splitting up with her when she was diagnosed with breast cancer after she helped him through his cancer.

• 186 amk for obama
        January 19, 2013 at 2:29 am

he is a worthless piece of punk. Hopefully he will be mired in lawsuits for a long time losing all his ill-gotten wealth.

• 187 Chi
        January 19, 2013 at 5:38 am

The way he treated Sheryl Crow permanently soured me on Lance Armstrong long ago…

It was so telling about who he really was…

January 19, 2013 at 12:11 am

As Pres. Obama’s 2nd term approaches, I’m reminded of this Bruce Springsteen song. It seems so apt because in his America, people of all race/ethnicity, ages, gender, sexual orientation, and backgrounds are welcome. It is a more open America and we are the better for it.

January 19, 2013 at 12:12 am
    January 19, 2013 at 12:14 am
    January 19, 2013 at 12:24 am
    • 193 betseyc
      January 19, 2013 at 1:00 am

Great response. How do these people think these topics up? I didn’t bother to read the article, but I caught up with the earlier comments, and count me in as another vintage white feminist who thinks Michelle Obama is the best role model first lady of my increasingly long life. How did they miss that it’s about the choice to be who you want to be? Her beautiful energy is bursting out of a very deep, secure place, and that’s the greatest gift she can give other women and girls, as well as men and boys.

• 195 4morefor44
      January 19, 2013 at 2:21 am

wow. i give the author some credit in that the second half of the article has some sane voices, including alice walker’s daughter, but the first half is pure white privilege racists, who even have the nerve to try and turn it into a hillary clinton/obama fight all over again. just wow, and some of the comments pile on with the hillary crap.

never anywhere do i see it mentioned that michelle obama was the main bread-winner in the family as barack was building his political career, in addition to all the other thing first lady obama has done to help so many including military families. the now-first family was making in investment in themselves, and in the world now that they’re in office, that will pay dividends for the rest of the entire world’s history. the team effort of michelle and barack is something i will be forever grateful, and i use in my own life to help me make better decisions. this is what leadership is all about, and it’s personified in barack and michelle to the utmost level. forward!!!

• 196 Chi
        January 19, 2013 at 5:45 am

And their close partnership besides their love is one of the most powerful, compelling and appealing things about the First couple and anyone who pretends not to have noticed is lying to themselves…

• 197 globalcitizenlinda
      January 19, 2013 at 6:40 am

I just read this article before logging into TOD and I was really pissed off by the arrogance of these so-called feminists. Clearly their idea of priority areas for feminism & how anyone should engage in women’s empowerment must be the one that FLOTUS should have taken otherwise she is not worth their consideration!

the people making these arguments are most likely the same who treasure “being in your face” as the only approach to excersing power even if you have no results to show for your bold approach. It would appear these people have no concept of soft power and its ability to achieve sustainable outcomes. Just jo ahead and shout so others may know you are around.

I also hate that these feminists do not seem to get the importance of health challenges like obesity in th US and the world. they certainly have no appreciation of millitary families.

48. January 19, 2013 at 12:37 am

we got an app for that!… iphone & android users, get up-to-date info on inauguration activities

49. January 19, 2013 at 12:43 am

Factbox: Timeline for Obama inauguration events

All times are Eastern Time.

SUNDAY, JANUARY 20
    ** About 8 a.m.
    Vice President Joe Biden is officially sworn into office at his residence at the U.S. Naval Observatory in Washington.

** 11:55 a.m.
    President Obama is officially sworn into office in the Blue Room of the White House.

– – –
    MONDAY, JANUARY 21
    ** 11:46 a.m.
    Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor administers the vice presidential oath of office to Vice President Biden.
    ** 11:55 a.m.

U.S. Chief Justice John Roberts administers the presidential oath of office to President Obama.

50. January 19, 2013 at 12:58 am

Presidential Inaugural Committee 2013

PIC Announces Unprecedented Livestream Coverage of Official Inaugural Events

WASHINGTON, DC – Today, the Presidential Inaugural Committee (PIC) announced that it will be providing unprecedented livestream video coverage of official events during the weekend of the 57th Presidential Inauguration. The livestream will provide Americans with the opportunity to take part in Inaugural events from anywhere in the country.

“This will truly be America’s Inaugural celebration,” said PIC Executive Director David Cusack. “Inviting folks from across the country to join us online is one more way we’re working to make sure all Americans can share in a moment of history.”

The following events will be livestreamed at http://www.2013pic.org/live and on the official PIC smartphone app: the official swearing-in ceremony on Sunday; the ceremonial swearing-in on Monday; the Inaugural Parade on Monday afternoon and The Commander-in-Chief Ball on Monday night. The Kids’ Inaugural on Saturday evening will be streamed only at http://www.2013pic.org/live.

The livestream coverage is another of the many social media tools the 2013 PIC is using to engage all Americans in the hard work of shaping our future. People can also find service events around the country with our mobile app and promote the National Day of Service on Twitter with the hashtag #iserve.

51. January 19, 2013 at 1:22 am

Agency Open Houses

On Friday, January 18th, come and learn more about the resources and work at some of the Departments in the Executive Branch! Learn more about each opportunity and RSVP here. These are all free and open to the public.

Department of Agriculture
    Department of Commerce
    Department of Health & Human Services
    Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
    The Department of Interior
    Department of Labor
    NASA! :D
    Small Business Administration and General Services Administration
    Interagency Event: Mentoring and Stem- Cool Tools for your Community!
    U.S. Office of Personnel Management
    White House Office of Science and Technology Policy

Resources

road closures, transportation, security info, social media

#inaug2013

Some of the Twitter sites being used to communicate information from the Inaugural public safety and security partners include:

Presidential Inaugural Committee 2013 – @obamainaugural

January 19, 2013 at 1:42 am
  54. 209 Dudette
    January 19, 2013 at 1:53 am

Alicia Keys performing Karma w/ Black Violin at the Billboard Music Awards

55. 210 Dudette
    January 19, 2013 at 1:58 am

I simply CANNOT get enough!!!

This is Da Shizznit!!!

56. January 19, 2013 at 2:03 am

2013 Presidential Inaugural Committee

The 2nd Inauguration of Barack Obama: Live from The Washington Post

Inauguration Central on Ustream

57. 220 Dudette
    January 19, 2013 at 2:38 am

‘k, gotta get some sack time. Up and at ‘em in the morning. Working at the Children’s Shelter, per my POTUS’ and FLOTUS’ benevolent nudging. Gonna need some STRONG coffee!

Adieu mon amis! :-)

January 19, 2013 at 2:47 am
  59. 222 susanne
    January 19, 2013 at 4:02 am

nice interview with richard blanco, the poet who has created, and will be reading, his new work for the inauguration:

‘ The poet Richard Blanco lives with his partner in a small town in Maine, where he writes, works as an engineer, and serves on the local planning board. “Very few people knew he was a published poet,” the town’s planning assistant told a local paper last week. “He kind of kept it to himself.” Lately that has been a much more difficult task. President Obama’s inaugural committee announced last week that Blanco, the author of three well-received collections, including Looking for the Gulf Motel (2012), had been chosen to become the nation’s fifth inaugural poet. Blanco, who had kept the news to himself since December, was tasked with writing three original poems, one of which the committee will ask him to read at the ceremony in Washington on January 21. The committee’s spokesperson told the New York Times that Obama chose Blanco because his “deeply personal poems are rooted in the idea of what it means to be an American.” ‘

• 223 CEB
      January 19, 2013 at 4:33 am

My students have been tasked with researching Richard Blanco and the other Inaugural poets (interesting that all were for Democratic presidents) and downloading a copy of the poem that he will deliver for interpretation and analysis. This is in addition to listening to the the president’s speech and being prepared to discuss it as well.
      I always talk with them about PBO’s love of writing. I have copies of a photograph that shows him editing a speech posted in my classroom and we will start our study unit with a recent quote from the president about how he feels about writing.

In the previous thread I was struck by the irony of the picture of our First Couple standing below the picture of the slave-holding Thomas Jefferson. That photo says so much about the paradox of American history and life.

PS I am probably talking to myself, but I fell asleep very early last evening and woke up about 3:30 am and decided as a true TODer to catch up on what I missed.

60. 225 susanne
    January 19, 2013 at 4:14 am

thank you time-warner cable!

‘ “We no longer accept ads showing semi-automatic weapons and guns pointed at people,” the company said in a statement. “We stand by this policy. If it’s essential to a business owner to show this kind of imagery in their commercials, there are other advertising options in the marketplace.” ‘

• 226 amk for obama
      January 19, 2013 at 7:16 am

Cool. Kudos to t-w. If the media can spread some common sense messages, most people wouldn’t be so stupid politically.

61. 227 susanne
    January 19, 2013 at 4:25 am

kamehameha school band will march in the inaugural parade (as well as the punahou school band) with video:

‘ 14 year old trumpet player, Mikayla Ah Sam, knows what an honor it will be to play for the President.

“I’m crazy excited. I just feel so blessed that we get to go on this trip. It’s just amazing,” says the freshman.

Mikayla and 95 fellow Kamehameha students are bound for Washington tonight. They’ll be marching the two-mile route in Monday’s inauguration parade.

Kamehameha Schools’ Assistant Marching Band Director, Alika Young, says, “Our students will be performing a composition by our alii, our very own Queen Liliuokalani. They’ll be performing Aloha Oe, as well as Kamehameha March”. ‘

• 228 CEB
      January 19, 2013 at 4:36 am

Hi Susanne, it appears that I may not be talking to myself. Thanks for the links.

• 229 susanne
        January 19, 2013 at 4:44 am

aloha ceb
        your students are so fortunate to have your guidance in experiencing the historic events taking place right now. i’ll be going to bed soon, but since i’ve been out a lot lately, i had to get in a few minutes of tod time, too! it’s hard to keep up with all the great material being posted. :)

62. 230 susanne
    January 19, 2013 at 4:39 am

and in local news (with amazing video):

‘ Tourists on a boat off Hawaii’s Big Island got the experience of a lifetime. Two full-grown Humpback whales brushed up against their inflatable boat, and the close encounter was caught on camera.

Over a period of at least ten minutes on Jan. 10, the whales were seen swimming gracefully around the 24-foot long zodiac boat. At times, the female Humpback whale seemed to be using the boat as a backscratcher, said Maria Harvey, crew member for Captian Zodiac Rafting Expeditions.

“It was absolutely incredible,” Harvey said. ‘

January 19, 2013 at 6:00 am

Good Morning from your ‘resident’ inaug. TODobot! Talking with ‘expertise’ like your average pundit – Looking out the window, I have to say there is no snow on the ground, traffic is moving smoothly. The dancing flag suggests extreme windy conditions, however. :lol:

• 233 proudmemberofglobalzero
      January 19, 2013 at 8:02 am

Have a great time. Still want to see some pictures if you take them. I am working tomorrow during the official swearing in. I took off Monday and have my Mimosa’s ready to go. I will be watching MSNBC. Rachel, Ed, Lawrence, and the Rev. Sharpton will be hosting. If anyone could post the official one from tomorrow without CHuckie the Toad that would be great. I am off to take my daughter back to college. She starts back on Tuesday. Have a great day all!!

• 235 prettyfoot58
      January 19, 2013 at 8:22 am

GM VC….

reading your report…..sipping my coffee….

keep it coming….smilin

January 19, 2013 at 8:37 am

A very ‘good morning’ to you PF58! I’m heading out soon, which means I’ll be missing all day. Have a good one!

January 19, 2013 at 8:24 am

It’s Inauguration weekend. Woooohoooooooooooooo!!!!!

• January 19, 2013 at 8:41 am

YES! WOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!! Good morning everyone. If not for a bad back, I would be “Johnny-on-the-spot” for this National Service Day. Boo hiss!!!! As it is, I’ll be hanging with you all and lying on ice for 20 minutes every 3-4 hours. I am improving so that’s what I focus on.

65. 239 donna dem 4 obama
    January 19, 2013 at 8:30 am

Hey VC it’s gonna be 51 degrees in DC today. YIPPEE…Have I told you that I HATE cold weather? :lol:

I’m off for the National Day of Service. I’ll see you tomorrow VC.

Good Morning TOD, Have a wonderful day and an even better weekend. I’m going to ask a special favor of each of you and Ms. Chips forgive me if I’m overstepping my bounds.

I’ll be here doing what I can in support of President Obama and I promise to carry everyone of you that cannot make it to DC in spirit with me when I am out and about this weekend. I am extremely excited to be hosting the Meet-up on Sunday even though I got that highly coveted (at the last minute) invite to the OFA Legacy Conference for the same day as the meetup (Sunday). We TODers have plans to meet, eat, hug, chat and then there maybe a surprise guest (crossing my fingers), commemorative buttons are a plenty and I was hooked up with tickets to the Inauguration to give away so somebody is going to get a little better view of the Ceremony ;). Now although I wish I could magically be at both places at once I understand that that in life we sometimes have to sacrifice one great thing for another great thing. So with you all understanding that, here is the favor I’ll be asking of you….

For just Sunday and Monday while our President is taking his official oath and his public oath of office can we leave the negative commentary of those pesky pundits and cable shows at the door and not bring it here for just those two days? I don’t normally ask such a task and I’ve learned to accept that people have the right to vent, comment and discuss the good and the bad. Trust me that was a big step for me but this weekend is a celebration. It’s the reward of all the hard work that we put forth through that grueling campaign and we WON!!!. So to Hell with the pundits this weekend. Let them talk to the hand! Let’s just celebrate the moment and then on Tuesday we can go back to our regular scheduled program ;) .

Have a great O’Weekend and Congrats to our great and wonderful President and Vice President.

p.s. Can someone repost this in the Rise and Shine for me and don’t forget to look for that “T” sign on TV by fellow TODer’s this weekend :shock:

Later!!!

• 240 CEB
      January 19, 2013 at 9:05 am

I hope that we can keep this a joyful, grateful, party place as well for two days. We know who the usual suspects will be who will try to rain on our parade. Why give them a second of attention? I am pumped. I love the inauguration yes i do, how about you? Woot. woot!!

66. January 19, 2013 at 8:47 am

I agree with Everybody, that the Republicans don’t have anything and are trying to get Democrats to take difficult votes so they cab run against them.
    But, we are also dealing with People in Congress who actually would get Rewarded if their is a Government shutdown, or a default.
    I think that is important to remember, the Republicans are not rational and hate Government.

67. January 19, 2013 at 9:25 am

Good morning everyone! Can’t contain the excitement. The Black violin music is awesome. The healing power of music is well known. Exposing kids to a new way of being in music can only serve their best interests.