Jan

‘The man behind a military patch that President Obama prizes’

Washington Post: That February morning in 2008 found Barack Obama decidedly out of sorts.

He was locked in one battle with Hillary Rodham Clinton for the Democratic nomination that showed no signs of ending — and another with a vicious cold that felt the same way.

As he rode the service elevator in the backway of a convention hotel here, the snowy-haired African American operating it turned suddenly. He held out a black-and-gold bit of fabric embroidered with a screaming eagle.

“Senator Obama, I have something I want to give you,” the man said. “I’ve carried this military patch with me every day for 40 years, and I want you to carry it, and it will keep you safe in your journey.” Obama tried to refuse, but the older man persisted.

Big endeavors can find their meaning in small moments.

Later that day, Obama and his aides discussed the encounter. The future president pulled the patch from his pocket, along with about a dozen other items people had pressed upon him.

“This is why I do this,” he said. “Because people have their hopes and dreams about what we can do together.”

Full article here

53 Responses to “‘The man behind a military patch that President Obama prizes’”

January 18, 2013 at 3:20 pm

This story was beautiful to read.

• 2 Dakota
      January 18, 2013 at 3:57 pm

“When I met Senator Obama, that feeling I had when I was 19 years old (when JFK was president).That feeling was there. I thought I would never live to see such a feeling again.”

That pretty much says it all for me. What a wonderful story!

January 18, 2013 at 3:30 pm

I’m the only one here – YAY!!!!. *dances around, eating chocolate and moving my butt from side to side.

3. 6 swbluega
    January 18, 2013 at 3:31 pm

It’s inspiring to know that through all their hardships and adversities, people still hope and dream that things will get better, if not for themselves, for others.

4. January 18, 2013 at 3:31 pm
  5. January 18, 2013 at 3:31 pm

This story is beautiful. Had me tearing-up. Thanks for posting.

6. 14 Pamela
    January 18, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Hey y’all! Hoping everyone is well. thinking of the TOD Inaugural Committee as they gather in DC! Standing with PBO!

7. January 18, 2013 at 3:42 pm

You are going to see the MSM rinse and repeat Eric Cantor’s latest gimmick #nobudgetnopay so read this article about the budget claim. It will help you push back on GOP lies.

8. 23 xtine
    January 18, 2013 at 3:56 pm

REPOSTING this tid bit from a chat in previous thread:

Hello! BAM & LOL! Found this in comments at link below.

THE WHITE HOUSE
    Office of the Press Secretary
    __________________________________ _____
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    January 18, 2013
    Statement by the Press Secretary

The President has made clear that Congress has only two options: pay the bills they have racked up, or fail to do so and put our nation into default. We are encouraged that there are signs that Congressional Republicans may back off their insistence on holding our economy hostage to extract drastic cuts in Medicare, education and programs middle class families depend on. Congress must pay its bills and pass a clean debt limit increase without further delay. And as he has said, the President remains committed to further reducing the deficit in a balanced way.

9. 24 sonjiaduncan
    January 18, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Hi TOD family, only three threads behind. So busy now to catch up.

10. 25 swbluega
    January 18, 2013 at 3:57 pm

The Filibuster Reforms Harry Reid Supports

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid doesn’t support TV-friendly talking filibuster reform, which would require anyone who wanted to filibuster a bill to actually take the floor and talk until they could talk no more, but he is leaning towards several significant procedural reforms, including ways to block filibusters for bills that need to go to conference (and thus get reconciled and then re-voted upon), filibusters that prevent critical presidential nominees from getting a vote, as well as a sort of a pressure-switch that would require those who want to block majority action in the Senate to put forth 41 votes to continue debate, rather than 60 votes to stop it.

(Hope the links work)

I admit I liked the idea of the talking fillibuster, if for no other reason than 1) for everyone to see who is holding up the bill and 2) to force the Senator to justify why the bill should not go forth. I’m trying to understand why this might not be included in reform since it would still be an option that the minority party can use. Other than taking away the primary obstruction tool currently being used, what am I missing?

11. 26 Roberta in MN
    January 18, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Good afternoon everyone Chips have you heard from HZ? I haven’t seen her on here for a bit, I have only been lurking lately maybe I missed her. Is she feeling OK? Just concerned.

• 27 PoliticalJunkessa
      January 18, 2013 at 4:02 pm

She commented yesterday, or the day before, Roberta. She was her usual beautiful, loving self!

• 28 Roberta in MN
        January 18, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Thanks junkessa. Glad to hear it.

• 29 HZ
          January 18, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Roberta, how lovely of you to ask about my whereabouts. I love you for your gracious and sweet spirit. I am here. I too am slowly trying to catch up on my readings. But I am doing fine. Just so excited about our Big Day for our president and all of America.

Hope all is well with you, my dear friend.HZ

PJ, thanks so much for sharing with Roberta. (((((( Love you for your beautiful spirit as well.)))))) We are such a blessed family here, and we love and support our Chips and our great POTUS.

12. 31 PoliticalJunkessa
    January 18, 2013 at 4:02 pm

*sheepish* Soooo…..does anybody know if you can just show up close to the Inaugural site on Monday and be able to see anything? Or do I need a special ticket or access pass? I know I should know this by now, but……. :oops:

January 18, 2013 at 4:04 pm

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Even USA Today recognizes Gallup is BS.

• 37 xtine
      January 18, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Bye now!: “USA TODAY is in the final stages of negotiating an arrangement with another polling organization.”

14. January 18, 2013 at 4:20 pm

I have a question for all those here with far more political background knowledge and experience than me. During the campaign I had a very small amount of money to contribute. Basically I paid a VERY SMALL amount monthly to OfA and the one Nancy Pelosi was always emailing about, I think it was DCCC. I made other tiny contributions to individual candidates here and there, but as my income decreased I had to cut those off. My question is: going forward I would like to know where you recommend I contribute on a small, monthly basis. I’ve decided I would like to contribute on one organization on a continuing basis and I’d like to know which you think would be the most effect, given that I will no longer be contributing to another Obama campaign. Believe me this is peanuts we’re talking about here, but I would still like it to have a good effect.

• 39 utaustinliberal
      January 18, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Well, OFA is turning into a policy organization known as ‘Organizing For Action’ where they will also reveal who their donors are in an effort to promote transparency. I think they might be soliciting donations to move forward Pres. Obama’s and the Democrats agenda. If they are, that would be the number one political organization I’d recommend you give your limited but very worthwhile and influential funds to. :)

• January 18, 2013 at 4:54 pm

That would have been my suggestion, too UT. The other option would be if there’s a good DEM congressional or senate candidate in your state, Mary.

• 41 Linda
      January 18, 2013 at 5:03 pm

maryl1,

Take a look at the new ” Organizing for Action ” here

• 42 HZ
        January 18, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Mary, I concur with UT, Susan and Linda. I received several e mails, and I signed,”I’m In.” I do believe that we are the “force” that will help carry POB throughout his second term. First Lady also sent out a video as well. Very powerful. Let us get behind POTUS and do our best. HZ

• January 19, 2013 at 12:25 am

Thanks to Linda and utaustinliberal! I looked at the site, signed up and made my first donation!

15. 44 xtine
    January 18, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Statement from Nancy Pelosi’s office, giving the GOP offer a quasi-thumbs down and insisting on a clean debt ceiling hike:

We need a clean debt ceiling increase and a bipartisan and balanced budget that protects Medicare and Social Security, invests in the future, and responsibly reduces the deficit.

This proposal does not relieve the uncertainty faced by small businesses, the markets and the middle class. This is a gimmick unworthy of the challenges we face and the national debate we should be having. The message from the American people is clear: no games, no default.

• 45 xtine
      January 18, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Greg Sargent from same link:

Ultimately the game plan here is all about forcing Boehner to show that he can come up with 218 Republican votes for his three month extension, or whether he risks another conservative revolt and a “Plan B” fiasco, in which he ultimately can’t get the votes himself and again reveals his lack of control over the Tea Party caucus.

As I keep saying: The correct position for Democrats is that if Republicans won’t drop the threat of default, it’s their problem. Lather, rinse, repeat. Dems seem to be sticking to this hard line posture.

January 18, 2013 at 4:47 pm
    • 47 HZ
      January 18, 2013 at 6:18 pm

This is one of the beautiful “winds within my flight” on this journey with POTUS and his team, seeing our lovely, brilliant FLOTUS and SLOTUS conversing with these beautiful young people and also allowing these young minds to approach them so boldly with their questions. This is what we are a part of, my TOD family.

This is so exciting. We can’t give up now. Keeping moving with determination, pride, hope, love, compassion, and we will give our young people the deserving opportunities that they so deserve to see come true in their futures. I love our president and our first and second ladies!!!!! HZ

January 18, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Dubya and Poppy Bush will not be attending this year’s inauguration. We won’t miss them.

• 49 Bill
      January 18, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Poppy is understandable. Wonder if it is customary for forrmer POTUS’s to attend? Do you know if Cheney is attending?

• 50 LDS
        January 18, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Bill, please do not encourage him. They may have to award this old fool with another heart that he does not deserve as opposed to giving it to someone who does. Let his pitiful daughter take care of him for the rest of their pitiful lives. She probably does not go near that old goat.
        We are going to celebrate and let all the haters stay home and hate.

January 18, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Dubya cited Poppy’s illness as the reason for his own absence.

From what I’ve read, Ford, Nixon, Ronald and Nancy Reagan did not attend Clinton’s first Inaugural. Bush Sr did not attend Clinton’s second Inaugural. Ford did not attend Dubya’s second inaugural due to illness.

18. 52 lisalovesobama
    January 18, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I just did a google search on FLOTUS and all the stories are about her new do, from the WSJ, to Christian Science Monitor, even the Guardian. Seriously! The media is obsessed with the Obama family.