Jan

Inaugural Weekend: An Image or Two

Tonight:

8:45 pm: The President and the Vice President will deliver remarks at an inaugural reception at the National Building Museum. First Lady Michelle Obama and Dr Jill Biden will also deliver remarks

More Swearing-In photos in the posts below

President Obama memorabilia hangs on the walls at the Hyde Park Hair Salon behind barber Ishmael Coye and three-year-old Bryson White shortly before the President took the oath of office to officially start his second term on January 20. The President would get his hair cut at The Hyde Park Hair Salon, which is near his Chicago home, before he was elected to the White House.

President Obama, Vice President Biden and Sergeant First Class Chad E. Stackpole participate in a wreath-laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetery

Chief Justice Roberts? :???:

See all those empty seats? Enthusiasm gap. Okay, okay….. 24 hours to go.

Washington DC, January 20

President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama attend a church service at Metropolitan African Methodist Episcopal Church in Washington, D.C., on Inauguration Day, Sunday, Jan. 20 (Photo by Pete Souza)

First lady Michelle Obama and daughters Sasha and Malia walk on stage during the Kids’ Inaugural concert in Washington, Jan. 19

There’s just something about Madeleine Albright commenting on Michelle’s bangs that cracks me up!

Burrville Elementary School, Jan. 19

By SmartyPants!

I’m going to spare everyone punditry extracts in posts until after the inauguration, just pics and videos so we can enjoy the beauty of it all without it being polluted!

155 Responses to “Inaugural Weekend: An Image or Two”

1. 1 carolmaewy
    January 20, 2013 at 6:53 pm

It’s a beautiful evening!

2. 5 vitaminlover
    January 20, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Thanks, Chips!

3. 7 4morefor44
    January 20, 2013 at 6:55 pm

incredible photos!!!

4. 8 carolmaewy
    January 20, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Thank you as always Chips for the beautiful photos and links. My Facebook page is plastered with them.

5. 13 GGail
    January 20, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Congrats carol !
    Hey, I made it in the top 10 :D

6. January 20, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Definitely a beautiful evening.

7. January 20, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Thank you, Chips. Simply Amazing.

8. January 20, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Breathtaking, humbling, gorgeous. Thank you so much, Chips. NO punditry needed right now. Just these very precious moments.

• January 20, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Honestly Meta, despite missing a bunch of stuff today, I spent most of the time teary-eyed, it’s overwhelmingly wonderful.

• January 20, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Inorite? I’m feeling so humbled right now. This is HUGE. I know how hard this battle was and continues to be but I’m so proud of every little donation – and the grand efforts that took place right here, thanks to you; we raised a shit-ton of money , every door knocked upon, every phone call, every conversation with our grocery checker………It took so much believing and hoping and working hard on every block. I’m just truly overwhelmed. The Obamas are a once-in-a-lifetime revelation, every single day.

• January 20, 2013 at 7:25 pm

There aren’t even zeros in the universe to do one of those + 1,000,000,000 thingies – but you summed it all up so beautifully. I’m with ya Meta.

• 28 carolmaewy
          January 20, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Mete, this morning I heard Mrs. Evers, who has a longer name I’m sorry I can’t remember, say thank you to all the people who helped back in the early days of their work whose names will never be known. She mentioned a woman who came every Saturday afternoon and take a dollar from her hanky and give it to Mr. Edgar Evers. It was very touching. She will be inspiring tomorrow, I’m sure.

9. 30 GGail
    January 20, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I get choked up every time I hear him say in a clear voice “President of the United States”

10. January 20, 2013 at 7:06 pm

There is simply no better place to be than right here at TOD!!! First time I saw the Fireworks video Sasha and Malia (and mom) were on fiyah!

11. 32 dotster3
    January 20, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Remarkable resemblance with the Chief Justice Roberts stand in!
    Thanks for the laugh, chips!!!

12. 34 vitaminlover
    January 20, 2013 at 7:08 pm

One thing that I love is that both President Obama and Vice-President Biden are such good, decent family men.

13. 35 sherijr
    January 20, 2013 at 7:09 pm

does anyone know when the TOD meetup was set to happen?

• January 20, 2013 at 7:20 pm

I haven’t heard anything yet sherijr, I fear they’re all drunk :lol: Will let you know if I get word!

• 37 sabreen60
        January 20, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Great pictures! I think there is an oopsie under the first picture. It says, “First Michelle Obama Lady and Dr Jill Biden will also deliver remarks”. I think it should be ‘First Lady Michelle Obama’………………

• 41 sherijr
        January 20, 2013 at 7:58 pm

lol… thanks Chips, hopefully they’re not too hungover for tomorrow… I guess if we all see a group of folks laying down during the speech… we’ll know where TOD is ;)

14. January 20, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Beautiful thread, Chips, and lovely idea about being a pundidiot-free zone for a couple of days :)

Yes We Can

• January 20, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Thrilled you like it Bob, thank you so much! I’m still catching up, I’m sure there are a gazillion lovely photos I’ve missed, but I’ll keep searching!

15. 48 vitaminlover
    January 20, 2013 at 7:10 pm

So…Dudette, have you compiled your Inaugural playlist for us for tomorrow? Sooooooo ready to party!

January 20, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Chips I echo what everyone else is saying about this A-mazing smorgasbord of photos, videos, graphics, links, etc!!! I am PSYCHED!!!

17. January 20, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Thank you Chips for posting the kids concert clip. I loved that photos of the President in the background. I cannot imagine wha t it would be like for the girls to see their father revered by so many.

18. January 20, 2013 at 7:16 pm

For all of us who keep holding the belief that million of voices calling for change could prevail!!

19. 55 vitaminlover
    January 20, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Next to his team consisting of Plouffe, Axelrod, Messina, Jarrett and several others, the TOD’ers had to have a major influence on helping with the Obama/Biden victory.

20. 56 dotster3
    January 20, 2013 at 7:17 pm

I’m no dudette, but here’s this. My daughter included this song on a CD mix she made for me for xmas—trying as hard as she can to keep me current. It’s Shine by John Legend and the Roots. When I checked fhe vid for some meaning, I found a lot of Obama included.

21. January 20, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Anyone have the story about the Bible used for Vice-President Biden’s swearing in?

• 58 Bill
      January 20, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I think I heard it has been in his family since 1898.

• 59 carolmaewy
      January 20, 2013 at 7:34 pm

I’ve heard several stories of the Bibles, but now I can’t remember which is which. It is a family connection though.

• 60 cookemom
      January 20, 2013 at 7:57 pm

It’s been in the Biden family since 1893. It is 5 inches thick and has been used for all of Joe Biden’s swearing in ceremonies since his very first elected office. The bible was also used by his son Beau, for his swearing in ceremony as State’s Attorney.

• 61 utaustinliberal
      January 20, 2013 at 8:02 pm

The Bible has been in his family since 1893 and he used it every time he was sworn into the senate. He also used it for his first swearing in as VP in 09. His son, Beau Biden also used it when he was sworn in as Attorney General of Delaware.

• January 20, 2013 at 8:21 pm

On Sunday and Monday, Vice President Biden will be sworn in using the Biden Family Bible, which is five inches thick, has a Celtic cross on the cover and has been in the Biden family since 1893. He used it every time he was sworn in as a US Senator and when he was sworn in as Vice President in 2009. His son Beau used it when he was sworn in as Delaware’s attorney general.

22. January 20, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Several times today I’ve thought about Sasha’s ‘you didn’t mess up’ comment and the way she moves and it reminds me so much of her tapping her father on the back and telling him to turn around and wave at the folk behind him on Election night. That young lady doesn’t miss anything and is going to be fearless in whatever she does – and emulating her dad’s wonderful sense of humor (and timing), as well.

What a joy!!

Yes We Can

23. 69 kasai
    January 20, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Thank you so much Chips for this beautiful Inauguration photo’s..
    Watching President Obama sworn in….My 49rs going to the Superbowl..I am just too excited..I can’t take!!! it isn’t even Monday yet…LOL!

24. 85 idon
    January 20, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Great post and I love the Look of Love vid. Is there anyway you could put the You’re Beautiful vid back up. That’s my fav PBO/FLOTUS vid.

January 20, 2013 at 7:30 pm

LOL @ all the Sasha, Malia and Justice Roberts stand-ins. The girls have aged even more than PBO! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

26. January 20, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Lyrics for Katy Perry’s “Firework” and why it seems to resonate with kids like Sasha and Malia so much as you can see in the video:

Do you ever feel like a plastic bag
    Drifting through the wind, wanting to start again?
    Do you ever feel, feel so paper thin
    Like a house of cards, one blow from caving in?

Do you ever feel already buried deep?
    Six feet under screams, but no one seems to hear a thing
    Do you know that there’s still a chance for you
    ‘Cause there’s a spark in you?

You just gotta ignite the light and let it shine
    Just own the night like the 4th of July

‘Cause baby, you’re a firework
    Come on, show ‘em what you’re worth
    Make ‘em go, oh, oh, oh
    As you shoot across the sky

Baby, you’re a firework
    Come on, let your colors burst
    Make ‘em go, oh, oh, oh
    You’re gonna leave ‘em falling down

You don’t have to feel like a waste of space
    You’re original, cannot be replaced
    If you only knew what the future holds
    After a hurricane comes a rainbow

Maybe you’re reason why all the doors are closed
    So you could open one that leads you to the perfect road
    Like a lightning bolt, your heart will blow
    And when it’s time, you’ll know

You just gotta ignite the light and let it shine
    Just own the night like the 4th of July

‘Cause baby you’re a firework
    Come on, show ‘em what you’re worth
    Make ‘em go, oh, oh, oh
    As you shoot across the sky

Baby, you’re a firework
    Come on, let your colors burst
    Make ‘em go, oh, oh, oh
    You’re gonna leave ‘em falling down

Boom, boom, boom
    Even brighter than the moon, moon, moon
    It’s always been inside of you, you, you
    And now it’s time to let it through

‘Cause baby you’re a firework
    Come on, show ‘em what you’re worth
    Make ‘em go, oh, oh, oh
    As you shoot across the sky

Baby, you’re a firework
    Come on, let your colors burst
    Make ‘em go, oh, oh, oh
    You’re gonna leave ‘em falling down

Boom, boom, boom
    Even brighter than the moon, moon, moon
    Boom, boom, boom
    Even brighter than the moon, moon, moon

27. 90 carolmaewy
    January 20, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Is their a candlelight service tonight or am I thinking of something else?

28. January 20, 2013 at 7:40 pm

What a day! And the best is yet to come tomorrow.

I was hoping to get the frame that I ordered from the inaugural store so I could place my beautiful Inauguration invitation in it

for tomorrow. Didn’t arrive in time, but I will still proudly display my invitation while watching the ceremony. I’ve been like a kid in a candy

store ever since my invitation came in the mail. I got one in 2009 but didn’t know I would be lucky enough to get it again. I am so grateful.

Was just in DC a week ago helping my daughter move into her new apartment and she insisted that I come back and hang with her

for the big event. However because of problems with my back, I can’t do all the walking and standing that is required, so will have to do

the home viewing. I still feel blessed to be able to witness this moment in history.

• 92 carolyn
      January 20, 2013 at 7:50 pm

I’m waiting for my invitation frame too, but I have it standing up on the bookcase in the heart of the house where I can see it many times a day. I also ordered the official souvenir program which I know I will enjoy perusing many times. Fortunately, I don’t have any classes tomorrow, MLK holiday, but before I realized tomorrow is a holiday, I had decided to cancel my classes anyway so I could stay home and watch contentedly.
      All the stuff about no excitement…..??? They’re planning on TWICE as many for this inauguration as for the second inauguration of any previous president, specifically Clinton and GWB were mentioned.
      I was giddy last time, this time I am deeply satisfied and thankful. I think that is what millions of people are feeling.

• 93 GGail
      January 20, 2013 at 8:00 pm

I’ve been carrying mine around in my purse to show to people – hahahahaha!

• 94 sherijr
      January 20, 2013 at 8:11 pm

oh what a good idea about the frame, will have to go look at them.. I just got my invitation last week.

29. January 20, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Thanks, Chips , for providing a pundit-free zone, we all have waited too long for this sublime moment to have our joy dampened the MSM concern trollers. Party on!

30. January 20, 2013 at 7:41 pm

That is a big ass Bible the Bidens have!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

31. 97 99ts
    January 20, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Hello everyone – what a wonderful day you all had while the other side of the world was sleeping. I did stay up for the VP swearing in – and also watched way too much tennis (what a match) so am very bleary eyed this morning (and it’s almost 11am!)

I loved the Biden family bible – we have a similar one that belonged to my husband’s family – dated 1857 – but is in very good condition – I fear it was not as well used as VP Biden’s bible.

Thank you chips for the lovely videos and pictures – you sure find the best!

• 98 Pamela
      January 20, 2013 at 7:55 pm

G’day 99ts! Did you see the link I left for you in a couple places?

• 99 99ts
        January 20, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Oh dear – probably not – thank you Pamela – I found cspan started to behave so watched there (although their instant return to the pundits didn’t enthral me) – I tried cnn and cbs but they don’t allow the rest of the world to watch.

I will now backtrack and find your link for tomorrow – hopefully I will be awake for some of it – the times get really confusing

When I was young – my mother used to hate the g’day – whenever I used it she told me the word was hello or good morning – LOL – she eventually gave up.

• 100 99ts
          January 20, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Ah – now I’ve found it – nothing to do with the media – but your wonderful daughter – Over 500 miles away from my part of the world – but I do love Sydney – La Perouse was where the French landed in Australia shortly after the first fleet from England. If they had stayed – we might have all been talking two languages – as in Canada.

The link for anyone else who loves Summer in January

• 101 Pamela
            January 20, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Good! I guess I had the idea you are in Sydney, but never mind! Please pass it on to anyone you know there who might enjoy the first of many exciting projects of this kind!

32. 102 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    January 20, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Good evening! Back home safe and sound. Met up with the group right after I posted the “Where is everybody?” plea! Had a great time! Now I need to finish cleaning the house for tomorrow. Will check back in later when I finish cleaning..

January 20, 2013 at 7:47 pm

GM folks.

Has the TOD meet up happened already or is it only on tomorrow?

34. 111 kathryn kivett
    January 20, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Is any inaugural stuff anywhere else besides CNN?…..I’ll just be fair with you, I’m not sure how much more I am going to be able to stomach Erin Burnette and John King while waiting to see something about what is going on…..MSNBC has decided jail and crime is more important…cspan is just blabbbbbing and blabbbbbbing……….not to be offensive and make you all think I don’t appreciate TOD but I need visuals and at least CNN is showing a little DC color in spite of Erin Burnette whom I just do not like at all….

January 20, 2013 at 7:49 pm

The entire first family is slim & fit.

36. 115 Pamela
    January 20, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Have we seen any of our Own TODobots on the telly yet? Of course some of us do not watch telly, so that could be tricky!

37. January 20, 2013 at 7:53 pm

congratulations to all the people who stood in line and voted despite voter suppression. To Chips for keeping us sane and will continue to do so as we go thru the next 4 years. I will look at the video’s once I get home. I am off tomorrow so will be on TOd.

• 117 nathkatun7
      January 21, 2013 at 1:39 am

Wonderful tribute, Zulu! We must never forget all the diabolical efforts by the the Republicans to suppress the votes. Yet courageous people, including TOD members, refused to be intimidated and did every thing in their power to ensure the re-election of one of the greatest Presidents of this country. I will never forget the people standing in lines for hours in states like Florida and Ohio. It’s those people who re-affirmed my faith in democracy.

38. January 20, 2013 at 7:54 pm

What a mesmerizing thread Chipsticks, I cant get over the barbershop photo. Wonderful thank you!

39. 119 Kat 4 Obama
    January 20, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Hi, all. Hope you’re having a fine day. Beautiful post, Chips.

40. January 20, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Wolf Blitzer is pumped! 8-)

41. January 20, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Will post a heads up in a few minutes, just getting it done!

January 20, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Not sure if this has been mentioned. CNN interviewed Richard Blanco, the Inaugural poet chosen by President Obama.

He’s a Cuban American, who happens to be gay, and he says he’s a bit nervous – who wouldn’t be! Found a story on him … according to this, “Mr. Blanco, 44, was conceived in Cuba, born in Spain and raised in Miami [ ... to which I would irreverently add: Well, weren't we all?], where his mother was a bank teller, his father a bookkeeper.”

43. 134 auntsis522
    January 20, 2013 at 8:09 pm

BEAU BIDEN IS HOT!!
    That is all.

44. 135 Nena20409
    January 20, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Wow…..Chips you have been burning the tires here on TODville Village. Wow…..every page is awesome. So much to read and catch up to and the community is Jazzed up.

lady, You are too much. You top yourself 24/7.

Thank you so much.

45. January 20, 2013 at 8:10 pm

This has me very excited. I mean, there’s nothing there, but still very excited!

46. January 20, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Saw a report today that POTUS is thoroughly loving the BANGs. LOLz.

47. January 20, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Sigh, sigh, sigh….loved the video..The Look of Love. There was one picture I have not seen…surely a record. John Legend’s song is soothingly beautiful. Loving all the stuff going on in Washington tonight.

48. 140 a4alice
    January 20, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Allright. Yay for me! I got tomorrow off! Me. Here. On the couch. Watching the Inauguration. Yes!

January 20, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Don’t want to pollute the thread, but did you know this? Gee, I had no idea that the rest of America didn’t think this was a major issue!

• January 20, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Oh DF, that’s not pollution, I just meant I wouldn’t put pundity stuff in posts til after the inauguration, but everyone is free to link to what they want, no worries!

• 143 LunarSea
      January 20, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Surprise! Surprise! NOT

• 144 carolmaewy
      January 20, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Sorry to admit that is my whiney, very whiney senator. He doesn’t know his head from his hinny. It’s a disgrace to our state in every way. He is always trying to get in front of a camera. Guess we can add him to our long list of idiots in office. Our stupid state legislature wants to add a ten cent tax on gasoline. What a bunch of hypocrites.

• 145 canadabarb4obama
      January 20, 2013 at 10:29 pm

glad you posted…lots of good comments

50. January 20, 2013 at 8:18 pm

HENRY!!

51. 149 Eveingeorgia
    January 20, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Chips, that “Look of Love” video has me all wobbly-kneed and wiped out. In a pleasant way, I am exceedingly jealous of their love. Thanks for all you do.

52. January 20, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I’m going to DVR two channel’s coverage.

One is going to be MSNBC…suggestions for the other channel?

53. 151 Walking_on_ Sunshine
    January 20, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Oh my goodness. The look of love. I melted into a puddle of goo! What a beautiful love story we are seeing. It will be part of the history and legend of this President. Thank you Chipsticks for that lovely gift to us all.

54. 154 HZ
    January 20, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Chips, everything is so beautiful and so wonderful here with our TOD Family. This is a marvelous time, so thank you so much for all that you do with so much love and ofcourse that beautiful and brilliant mind. Love you my special angel.

Bobfr, they did listen, believe me. We are going to give our love and support back to POTUS and VPOTUS. They are so cute as a team. I cried with joyful tears as POB spoke of VP Biden and also as VP Biden spoke of POB. It was so beautiful.

POB also mentioned FLOTUS’ bangs. Both couple are so lovely. Both men show so much love to their spouses. I love that. We are so blessed to be a part of this great team.

(((((((((((((((((( Thanks for making this senior so joyful and grateful, my TOD Family.))))))))))))))))))))))HZ

55. 155 carolmaewy
    January 20, 2013 at 11:58 pm

A FB buddy of mine is Alicia Keyes. I’m the fan. Anyway, I can’t put twit pics in tweets from iPad, but here is a link to her FB page and a pic of her bedside treat tonight. Don’t know is she’s performing tonight or tomorrow. It didn’t really say. https://www.facebook.com/aliciakeys?ref=stream