Crowds wait for the start of the presidential inauguration on the West Front of the U.S. Capitol
10:35: The President and First Family depart the White House for the US Capitol
11:20: President Obama’s Ceremonial Swearing-in
11:50: The President delivers remarks
1:05: Inaugural Luncheon at the National Statuary Hall, US Capitol
2:40: Inaugural Parade – Pennsylvania and Constitution Avenues to the White House
3:45: Parade Review, White House
8:45: Commander-in-Chief’s Inaugural Ball
9:10: The Inaugural Ball
President Obama, accompanied by his daughters Sasha and Malia, first lady Michelle Obama and mother-in-law Marian Robinson, arrives at St. John’s Church in Washington
“Hey, what’s with the enormous crowd outside my house??”
More photos through the day – and lots in the comments.
I’m so Loving this Day!
Me too. Super giddy. I’m flipping channels and refreshing TOD like a mad woman. I’m like a kid on Christmas.
I'm honored and grateful that we have a chance to finish what we started. Our work begins today. Let's go. -bo— Barack Obama (@BarackObama) January 21, 2013
He must have tweeted this from church lol
I was just wondering the same thing!! POTUS!!
They’re leaving church now. He tweeted on the way out! :-)
Love the “Let’s go”.
@BarackObama Congratulations Mr. President! Today is an affirmation of our values and and the vision that you set before us. #GodBless— Dudette (@Dudette9t9) January 21, 2013
Departing churchy—big cheer from crowd.
The people outside the Church gave a loud cheer when they saw POTUS & FLOTUS and the Bidens walking towards their cars
Headline News – sorry to be pimping them is doing a good job but I wish there was no commentary at all. I really like watching the motorcade.
I know what you mean auntsis…
The only downer really is Anderson Cooper…
Everyone else is shockingly upbeat and positive…
I only wish they kept Soledad on instead of Anderson who sounds pretty depressed…
~Exercise your MUTE option~ . . . . . all the way. You won’t miss a thing. xoxo
Joe and Jill!!
Pete!!! Miche, PBO, and the girls!!!
What a magnificient family. Love, love, love those colors.
Wow what a day, I’m volunteering for the Commander in Chief Ball, I hope I can see and take quick pictures of our amazing President and first lady. I would love to share with my grandchildren and family!
oh cool! You’ll have to tell us how it went :D
Wonderful! Have a great day and a terrific time at the Ball!
We’ll expect a full report once you’ve had a chance to catch your breath. :-D
The excitement I’m seeing from the crowds is so wonderful.
"Hey, what's with the enormous crowd outside my house??" http://t.co/6ZjigSnj— TheObamaDiary.com (@TheObamaDiary) January 21, 2013
this dog is so beautiful. smh. Hard to believe he’s already 4.
Love the colors coordinating colors. One of the best things about having 2 pretty girls.
Let me also note that Mrs Robinson looks stunning today as well!
She does Donna, and looking SO happy – when they got back to the White House she was beaming like sunshine!
Where are you guys watching this?
I’m flicking around Meta, CBS had good streaming the last while:
CNN still showing music:
Her camel coat is lovely…
Good morning BO!!!
Mooooorning O”s!!!!! Need I say that this is yet another great getting up day for a TODnaugural!!!! I need three more sets of eyes, a couple more ears, and a few more legs to capture all of this. The eyes so that I can watch several TV channels, PC tabs, and Skype with #2 (I have the computer positioned so that she can see the ceremonies live from Spain). The ears so that I can hear her and everything else at the same time. The legs cause Cookeman insists on giving me play by play coverage of the festivities from downstairs. I end up having to get up from my chair to go and see what he’s saying instead of hollering from the top of the stairs. It’s like, ‘Cookemom, Cookemom, Cookemom, Cookemom’ then I go WWWHHHAAAATTTT!!!!
C-SPAN is now showing the Lee University singing. Nice. I am watching tv C-SPAN. Mute when I do not want to hear the sputtering. It is so beautiful to start out seeing the very beginning this morning of the people gathering.
The young people are so exciting. The crowd looks so much like of what America looks like, and I am sure Dr. Martin L. King Jr., is smiling all around them today. Great Day for America.HZ
Oh, I think the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir should be a beautiful time. Love that choir.HZ
Oh that’s who that was – they were good! I loved the children choir too. :-)
CNN is giving a very good and thorough preview of the day. A lot of little tidbits that would be otherwise unknown. No punditry at all.
The choir is amazing! :)
My Favorite Moment from the First Inauguration:
Of all the indelible memories from the 2009 Inauguration Ceremony, what stood out the most for me were those wonderful glimpses into the President’s soul that he gave us during this performance by these musical giants. With the entire world watching, with Mrs. O and the girls behind him chatty and distracted by something only they know about, and the enormity of the journey he was about to undertake, My President drank in that moment by closing his eyes and letting the music-filled breeze wash over him. He’d nod or sway ever so slightly and smile.
It was a prayer of gratitude. An appreciation of the Now. The music and that moment spoke to him the same that way it did me! He feels that. He feels the music, I whispered. Not just hears it – feels it. There he was surrounded by the din of cheering millions, with all eyes on him, and he allowed the music to transport him to an island of peace and serenity. From a crowded auditorium, hundreds of miles away, I felt an intimate connection with him in that instant.
It is that gift of his, the ability to see and seek grace in the midst of the greatest storms, that serves us all in these troubled times. America got it right twice! He is indeed the right man for our time. God Bless America!
Air and Simple Gifts Yo Yo Ma Itzhak Perlman John Williams Live at the Inauguration
For the first time, a classical quartet has been invited to participate in the swearing-in ceremony of President-elect Barack Obama and Vice President-elect Joseph Biden on Tuesday, Jan. 20, 2009.
It all began when the President-elect had asked Yo Yo Ma and Itzhak Perlman to perform, and they, in turn called John Williams, a frequent collaborator with both artists, “to help them prepare something to play.” Mr. Ma chose the other two performers, clarinetist Anthony McGill and pianist Gabriela Montero to round out this unique and diverse quartet.
My Favorite Memory from 2009 Inaug ~ Yo Yo Ma/ Itzhak Perlman/ Anthony McGill/ Gabriela Montero youtu.be/8GoRIQ9cwG8 #Inaug2013— Dudette (@Dudette9t9) January 21, 2013
Dudette, your words of expression and your musicial gifts are always a welcome symphony for my heart. Thank you for including this lovely moment that speaks volumes of our president’s love for the Arts. I have books where it shows that his father was also a lover of great jazz and great music.
I love seeing him enjoying music.HZ
Thanks HZ. You’re soooo sweet! I’m so glad you’re a part of the TOD Family. I read about his father’s love of music too. Such a great gift to pass on to one’s children.
This was my favorite moment too. I love the songs and I love Yo Yo and Itzhak.
Wasn’t it great? FLOTUS was feeling it too. I love that sweet moment around 3:28 when she’s swaying to the music then reaches forward and touches him on the shoulder. Kills me ever time I see it. Dang, there I go with the tears again.
ooohRah!! look at the people.. that is all I want to see and hear today, except for POTUS,VPOTUS & families :)
Good morning everyone! I love the colors all the ladies are wearing today. Such colors of joy and purpose. I am busy getting all in my house out the door. Then I have the day to myself and TOD. This is so exciting.
Cozy http://t.co/Lh3s3VmA— TheObamaDiary.com (@TheObamaDiary) January 21, 2013
I’m watching CNN special called The Obama’s Private Life. It was very well presented and perfectly balanced with a fresh insight on the family.
Did anyone notice Sasha making sure we saw that beautiful dress under her coat? BTW, Wolfe just said that PBO invited the House leaders for coffee and they are now partaking in an early morning cup of java. Cantor tweeted this out.
at least they showed up………… that’s good. :/
Happy Inaug Day TOD! I thought you’d like that.
Malia Obama ran up to the beast as POTUS got out of the limo and shouted “boo.” Obama joked “you scared me”— Zeke Miller (@ZekeJMiller) January 21, 2013
Our local Metro Rail…
A look at the steady stream of customers exiting L'Enfant for #inaug2013. #wmata ow.ly/i/1oRAI— @wmata (@wmata) January 21, 2013
Wow! It’s packed!
Good morning TODers and happy Inauguration Day!
Good west coast inaugural morning. I couldn’t sleep last night. Everything is so early for us west coaster, I was afraid I’d sleep through the early morning festivities. I woke up and turned the tv on just in time to see them arrive at church.
Where is everyone watching the inauguration? I am on CSPAN.
I am switching between C-Span and CNN. CNN seem to be a little better than C-Span this morning.
CNN is doing an exceptional job this morning so far. I’ve been switching through all of them, and I give them the nod. It’s all about PBO and not the commentators and their views. It’s been very light and upbeat, my kinda reporting.
Agreed Cookemom. I’m DVRing MSNBC, but keep going back to watch CNN. They’re doing very interesting background packages.
MSNBC is just talking heads.
I just saw on twitter that PBO is having coffee with Congressional Leadership at the WH right now.
Yes, CNN reported that he invited the House leaders for coffee. Cantor tweeted that they were indeed enjoying a cup with him. Can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.
Free coffee anyway, right? G’day y’all! Checking in… I am reminded why I no longer care to watch the telly. PBS starting coverage in 20, and I have birds to water! BRB!
Hello TODvillagers, lurkers, drop-inners, and passersby; big Inauguration wave to Mayor Chips…runs around village giving hugs. Searches for VC….then runs away.
don’t run away too far! :-)
YES!!!!! You Wonderful Goddess You!!! :lol: :lol:
Gah! Joe Biden is so BOSS! Man’s hot.
I am on this wonderful high! We did it folks! We did it!
YES WE DID CT!!!!!!! :-)
I find myself tearing up. Just a wonderful day!
TY Chips! youkept us sane even on days that we knew you were going crazy as well. You bore our burdens and I thank you! Hopefully you have not gotten as grey as our POTUS :-)
:-) As Amk would tell you CT, my hair is green!!! Thank you CT, hope you’re loving the day!
Hope you’re doing well…
TY Chi :-).
Inaugural Parade Participant Lineup
The Presidential Escort
• The Presidential Escort is a military and civilian formation that escorts the President, Vice President, and their families from the Capitol to the White House following the swearing-in ceremony. The escort will include representatives from the five branches of the United States Military, elected officials, and local and national law enforcement organizations.
• United States Army Staff
• United States Army Field Band
• United States Military Academy
• United States Army 1st Battalion, 319th Airborne Field Artillery Regiment
• United States Army Color Guard
• District of Columbia Army National Guard
• United States Army Reserve 200th MP Command
• Punahou High School Marching Band and JROTC Color Guard, Hawaii
• Hawaii Home State Float
• Isiserettes Drill & Drum Corps, Iowa
• Caisson Platoon, 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment
• Miami University Marching Band, Ohio
• Illinois Home State Float
• South Shore Drill Team, Illinois
• Gullah Geechee Cultural Heritage Corridor Commission, South Carolina
• Kamehameha Schools “Warrior” Marching Band, Hawaii
• Ambulance 255 Project, Connecticut
• 81st Regional Support Command Wildcats, South Carolina
• Jackson Memorial High School “Jaguar” Band, New Jersey
• Seguro Que Si, Florida
• Kansas University Trumpet Ensemble, Kansas
• United States Marine Corps Staff
• United States Marine Band “The President’s Own”
•United States Marine Corps Active Company
• United States Marine Corps Color Guard
• United States Marine Corps Reserve Company
• Chinese American Community Center Folk Dance Troupe, Delaware
• Delaware Home State Float
• University of Maryland “Mighty Sound of Maryland” Marching Band, Maryland
• Pennsylvania Home State Float
• Boy Scout Troop 358, Germantown, Pennsylvania
• Palm Springs High School “Spirit of the Sands” Marching Band and Visual Corps, California
• Ballet Folklórico De La Raza, Colorado
• 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Regiment, Company A, Massachusetts
• Utuqqagmiut Dancers, Alaska
• A Therapeutic Equine Assisted Self-Confidence Experience (A.T.E.A.S.E.), Wisconsin
• Palmview High School Mariachi and Folkloric Group, Texas
• NASA – Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle and Curiosity Rover
• Dobyns-Bennett High School Band, Tennessee
• 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Regiment, Company B, Maryland
• Boston College “Screaming Eagles” Marching Band, Massachusetts
• United States Navy Staff
• United States Navy Band
• United States Naval Academy
• United States Navy Active Company
• United States Navy Color Guard
• United States Navy Reserve Company
• Georgia State University Marching Band, Georgia
• Martin Luther King, Jr. Float
• Ballou Senior High School “Majestic” Marching Knights, District of Columbia
• Multi-Jurisdictional Mounted Police Drill Team and Color Guard, Michigan
• Calera High School “Eagle” Marching Band, Alabama
• Gym Dandies Children’s Circus, Maine
• Boston Crusaders Drum & Bugle Corps, Massachusetts
• Civil Rights Float
• Lesbian and Gay Band Association
• Native American Women Warriors, Colorado
• Little Rock Central High School Band, Arkansas
• Utah Hispanic Dance Alliance, Utah
• Central Valley High School Marching Band and Color Guard, Washington
• United States Air Force Staff
• United States Air Force Band
• United States Air Force Academy
• United States Air Force Active Company
• United States Air Force Color Guard
• District of Columbia Air National Guard
• United States Air Force Reserve Company
• Grambling State University “Tiger” Marching Band, Louisiana
• Tuskegee Airmen Float
• Norwich University Regimental Band, Vermont
• Montana Delegation, Montana
• Wind River Dancers, Wyoming
• Canine Companions for Independence
• Navajo Nation Band, Arizona, Utah and New Mexico
• United War Veterans Council, New York
• Pearl River Community College Marching Band, Mississippi
• Union High School Air Force JROTC, Oklahoma
• Fergus Falls High School Marching Band, Minnesota
• Asheville High School Marching Band, North Carolina
• United States Coast Guard Staff
• United States Coast Guard Band
• United States Coast Guard Academy
• United States Coast Guard Active Component
• United States Coast Guard Color Guard
• United States Coast Guard Reserve Component
• United States Merchant Marine Academy Staff
• United States Merchant Marine Academy Band
• United States Merchant Marine Academy Color Guard
• United States Merchant Marine Academy Company
• Northern State University “Marching Wolves,” South Dakota
• Military Spouses of Michigan, Michigan
• Londonderry High School Marching Band and Color Guard, New Hampshire
• Culver Academies, Indiana
• Portsmouth High School “Patriots” Marching Band, Rhode Island
• The Native American Tribes of North Dakota, North Dakota
• Liberty North High School Band, Missouri
• Sarpy County Nebraska Metro Area Law Enforcement Honor Guard, Nebraska
• Frankfort High School Marching Band, West Virginia
• Comparza Morelense, Nevada
• Letcher County Central High School Marching Band, Kentucky
• Our People, Our Future Float & Citizen Co-Chairs
• Firefighters of Idaho, Idaho
• Virginia Military Institute, Virginia
I Love A Parade: Inaugural Parade Participant Lineup bit.ly/VKxxMR #Inaug2013— Dudette (@Dudette9t9) January 21, 2013
Not sure how much they know but NBC reporting inaugural address will be “short and forceful”.
Yes, I heard that too.
Malia Obama attempted to scare her dad after getting out of the limo after church. "Boo!" She shouted to her dad. "You scared me!" he said— Amie Parnes (@amieparnes) January 21, 2013
at the end, after Malia said: “boo” PBO laughed and said scared him and the Silver Fox bodyguard laughed and said: “she scared me too.” hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!
Magnificent Monday morning, TOD!! I was writing to myself on the last thread…same stuff, different day! Thrilled and excited for this day to be here…they all look so beautiful. Beautiful DC day, beautiful FIrst/Second family…..let’s just savor this moment for all time. It will never happen again, but we are all forever changed…more engaged, more inspired, and more understanding that we are the ones that we’ve been waiting for. The people now understand they have the power to move this nation the direction they want it to go in…..things will never be the same again because he has shown us all how to move this country. Together! I am proud to be an American today.
The first family looked lovely going into church. Happy Inauguration Day TOD. Great day! All our hard work paid off.
The Cabinet is now arriving at the Capitol. Tim Geithner’s shades are bad ass.
Watching CSPAN — Cabinet Members are arriving at the Capitol!!! Just saw handsome Eirc Holder… [swoon]!
So excited I can’t spell “Eric” :-)
Just saw John Mayer and Katy Perry.
It sure pays to date Katy Perry who worked her out for President Obama’s re-election…
The pastor at St. Johns this morning said that Obama should be called the "pastor in chief," referring to Obama comforting Newtown families.— Amie Parnes (@amieparnes) January 21, 2013
What a lovely sentiment…
Watching cspan right now…enjoying the Marine Band’s playing. No commentary at all right now. Have seen AG Holder, Secretary Napolitano and Secretary Geithner….Now I’m seeing Pres. Carter getting out of his limo and going into the Capitol! Don’t we have the best set of ex-presidents!!! They continue to work for the good of people after leaving office.
The Obama family looked so beautiful! The girls are such young women now…..four years makes a huge difference!
Awww! Jimmy Carter has arrived!
Great. That is good to hear.
CSPAN-TV is best. No more chattering.
I can’t help but keep showing my age, as I sit here crying, watching the absolute divesity of color going to the ceremony…..also, the increased number of women. Even thirty years ago, this would not have been possible. We are making progress…..sometimes two steps forward and one back, but we are progressing. I am so thankful I’ve lived long enough to be here now.
Oh, thereare Bill and Hillary Clinton.
Former President Jimmy Carter has arrived
oh the Joints Chiefs of Staff have just arrived
Joint Chiefs of Staff walking in now. Wow!!
Just saw Rev. Al!!!
Major upgrade for Rev. Al and very deserving…
It pays to not gratuitously insult, disrespect and demean the greatest President in a generation…
I just saw Rev Al!
Three sons left home to make their fortunes, and they all did very, very well for themselves. They got together recently and were discussing what they each had done to benefit their aging mother.
“Well,” said the first one, “I bought Mom a huge house in Beverly Hills.”
“I bought her a Mercedes and hired a full-time driver for her.”
“I’ve got you both beat,” said the third. “I bought her a miraculous parrot that can recite any Bible verse you ask it.”
A little later, the mother sent out a thank you letter to all three sons.
“Gerald — the house you bought was too big. I only live in one room, but I have to clean the entire house. Milton — the car is useless because I don’t go anywhere because I’m too old. But Robert — you know exactly what I like. The chicken was delicious.”
lmao you wicked scoundrel
Rev. Al Sharpton has arrived. Bubba is also there.
LOL! Lisa you and I had the same reaction at the same time :)
I just saw that! hahahahahahahhahaha!! he looked really handsome! Rahm and PBO’s sister!!!!!
Myrlie Evers-Williams has arrived.
Merlie Evers Williams about to walk onto the platform. She’s just radiant!! I’m so happy she’ll be a part of the ceremony today!
Isn’t she.. radiant.. she looks so young too.
she is so beautiful! you could see the tears glistening in her eyes!
Rahm!! had to say it~
hey there’s Rahm.
Mrs Evers! Rahm! Sister Maya & Hubby!
PBO’s sister Maya walking down the steps with a serene smile on her face.
Andrea Mitchell is interviewing John Legend.
So many people I don’t know. Saw Rahman and Mia.
Rahm and wife and Maya and husband. There’s Gibbsy and Valerie Jarett and now ugh Boner, looking grumpy and wife, Rev. Al and wife?
Gibbs and Jarrett!
Phew, made it. I didn’t want to miss a thing so had to go through the previous posts before landing in the here and now.
Too exited for words. So happy to be sharing this with all of you here. Through all the ups and downs of this presidency, through all the lies of the media and GOP, through all the dirty antics designed to divide and conquer us, this village has stood firm and resolute in our support, (even when filled with angst and doubt)
I wouldn’t want to celebrate with anyone else! Aho! –>Forward–> Together….
Gibbs, Valerie and David. Eww. Mr. Orange is here.
Is that Mrs Boner?
I’m. John bonehead
Oh McFail is there – *barfs*
I thought Grampa McCain was going to be in Syria today? What is he doing here?
All the senators are filing in now. Someone has on an interesting hat, like from the Canadian Mounties.
I thought John McCain would be in Mexico
Ewwww—Paul Ryan—-his face and Cantor’s make me the most mad.
The former future VP? :lol:
Here comes Lyin Ryan and Issa.
Inspiring to see people streaming to the Capitol on this brisk, sunny Inaugural, as Americans have done for generations.— David Axelrod (@davidaxelrod) January 21, 2013
OMG…I have grinned and giggled all through this momentous occasion but just lost it….CNN just showed instagram of a 5 yr old boy in front of tv when PBO took oath, yesterday, with his hand held up like PBO…Mom asked him why he was doing it and he said..”PBO looks like me”….
Just saw Auma, Avery, and leslie. Saw Maya and her husband earlier. So excited!!
Has anyone heard which Cabinet member is in the secret hiding hole and not attending the ceremonies today?
Beyonce got a shout out from the crowd.
I loved every second of it. The highlight for me thought was PBO’s awesome speech. It will go in history as one of the greatest presidential speeches evar.
Enter your email address to receive notifications of new posts by email.