Jan

Rise and Shine: It’s a Beautiful Day!

The sun rises before the presidential inauguration on the West Front of the U.S. Capitol, January 21

8:45 am: President Obama, the First Family, the Vice President and Dr Biden will attend a church service at St John’s Episcopal Church

10:35: The President and First Family depart the White House for the US Capitol

11:20: President Obama’s Ceremonial Swearing-in

11:50: The President delivers remarks

1:05: Inaugural Luncheon at the National Statuary Hall, US Capitol

2:40: Inaugural Parade – Pennsylvania and Constitution Avenues to the White House

3:45: Parade Review, White House

8:45: Commander-in-Chief’s Inaugural Ball

9:10: The Inaugural Ball

Details of TV coverage here

C-Span * CBS * CNN

Live streaming from DC has started at all three links

C-Span: Sights and Sounds on Inauguration Day (live now)

C-Span: Inaugural Activities on Capitol Hill (live now)

People gather on the mall in the early morning in front of the Washington Monument, January 21

President Obama views a portrait of First Lady Michelle Obama before a church service at Metropolitan African Methodist Episcopal Church in Washington, D.C., Jan. 20 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama, Vice President Joe Biden and Jill Biden speak to supporters and donors at an inaugural reception for the 57th Presidential Inauguration at The National Building Museum in Washington, Sunday, Jan. 20

President Obama greets volunteers at Burrville Elementary School in Washington, D.C., Jan. 19 (Photo by Pete Souza)

Okay, the NY Daily News cracked me up …. again:

OFA

MoooOOOoooOOOooooOOoooOOOoorning!!!

213 Responses to “Rise and Shine: It’s a Beautiful Day!”

1. January 21, 2013 at 8:07 am

Happy Morning TOD Family!
    Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day
    Happy Inauguration Day
    Happy, Happy, Happy!!!
    Just Happy and excited about everything and more specifically, about the having a President who CARES for EVERYONE!

2. 14 ranman11
    January 21, 2013 at 8:10 am

Good morning Chips and TOD family. Happy Inauguration Day everyone. Congrats Mariz on been first this lovely Monday morning.

• January 21, 2013 at 8:14 am

Thank you Ranman11….So exciting and appropriate for me to have first this morning as I am joined with family and friends all day at home to watch this wonderful event.

What a great moment in history.

3. 16 lisalovesobama
    January 21, 2013 at 8:12 am

Happy Inauguration Day everyone!! Hope your days are staying off great!! Here’s to 4 great years, and 4 more!!

January 21, 2013 at 8:15 am

Happy Inauguration Day on MLK Day, folks.

Let’s all resolve not to get trolled my the msm today and simply enjoy the great moment.

5. 19 andogriff
    January 21, 2013 at 8:15 am

Happy Inauguration Day number Two to everyone! Thanks for the fabulous posts, Ms Chips… have been reading everything, and passing on the beautiful articles and photos to all on my List! Wonderful photos from the TOD meeting in DC, so exciting!

6. January 21, 2013 at 8:15 am

It’s a beautiful day!

7. January 21, 2013 at 8:16 am

January 21, 2013 at 8:17 am

G’morning Chips,TOD, lurkers, everyone! Happy Inauguration Day!!! :) :) :)

9. January 21, 2013 at 8:17 am

10. January 21, 2013 at 8:18 am

GOOOOOOODDD MOOOORRRNNNIINNNNGGGGGG, Chips and TODville!!!! We have arrived!!

Look at that glorious morning at the Capitiol!!

January 21, 2013 at 8:18 am

12. 29 99ts
    January 21, 2013 at 8:19 am

Good morning everyone – a wonderful man on cspan at the minute – the inaugural parade announcer – he is so positive about the day and the parade and the President

13. January 21, 2013 at 8:19 am

Congrats on 1st, Marlz. Good morning, TODville. Not even cable “news” can ruin this day.

14. 31 VaCat
    January 21, 2013 at 8:19 am

This is a beautiful day – most befitting for our President. My heart is filled with joy!

January 21, 2013 at 8:20 am

So how is the weather folks ? Nice and sunny ?

16. 33 auntsis522
    January 21, 2013 at 8:22 am

Good Morning, once again. Happy MLK & Inauguration Day!!!

17. January 21, 2013 at 8:22 am

18. January 21, 2013 at 8:25 am

C-span has best view of the crowds gathering, the viewing stands, etc. People are up early.

January 21, 2013 at 8:26 am

January 21, 2013 at 8:30 am

We’ll get a glimpse of FLOTUS’s outfit in a few minutes. Yay!

21. January 21, 2013 at 8:30 am

22. 42 1jam4pbo
    January 21, 2013 at 8:32 am

Happy Inauguration Day TOD family. All your hard work to re-Elect this wonderful hard working President is now visible for the World to see…

God’s Richest Blessings on the Presidential proceedings today.

23. January 21, 2013 at 8:32 am

Fantabulous Greetings to Ms Chips and the TOD family, who I know will be giving accounts all day, on this MLK Day and Inauguration Day 2013,all the way from hot and sunny Trinidad and Tobago. I am sooo looking forward to all that takes place today. Let’s sit back and simply enjoy.

24. January 21, 2013 at 8:33 am

I notice CNN does a lot of hands on Reporting, they bring you right there.
    Msnbc has terrible coverage, but has great Guests to talk to.
    Pick your poison?

25. January 21, 2013 at 8:34 am

CSPAN show the President going to church!!

26. 49 Dudette
    January 21, 2013 at 8:34 am

CSPAN has the Presidential motorcade on its way to St. John’s Episcopal Church now… short drive.

27. 50 ouapiti
    January 21, 2013 at 8:34 am

Hello, all! It is a beautiful morning. As always, thanks for the photos and the convening site, Chipsticks! Couldn’t be more excited, happy and proud! One thing that Van Jones said yesterday talking to people on CNN rang so true to me — he said that with this election and inauguration, it shows us what is good with America now but also what is good about America for the future — because we know there will be the first Latino or Latina president, the first woman president, the first LGBT president. I liked that.

On another note, really glad that the Bush presidents decided to stay home!

January 21, 2013 at 8:35 am

FIRST FAMILY LOOKS GREAT!!!!

29. 53 Dudette
    January 21, 2013 at 8:35 am

The family looks gorgeous! Mrs. Robinson is with them.

30. January 21, 2013 at 8:35 am

Michelle and the kids look very nice today!

31. January 21, 2013 at 8:35 am

LOL. So, both Bush Presidents turned down an invitation to the inauguration, but it’s President Obama that snubs People?
    Got it?

32. 62 donna dem 4 obama
    January 21, 2013 at 8:36 am

The First Family Looks Fantastic. Mrs O is stunning as usual and the girls and Mrs Robinson are beautiful. President O looks very handsome!

January 21, 2013 at 8:36 am

OMG! OMG! OMG! They all look amazing. The colors!

January 21, 2013 at 8:37 am

I know that I’m excited, but this one takes the cake :) :)

35. 65 dotster3
    January 21, 2013 at 8:37 am

Just saw the First Family arrive at churchy, looking very attractive, Michelle in a navy checked number.

36. 66 LadyTNT
    January 21, 2013 at 8:37 am

First Family looking GORGEOUS!!! I love them!!

37. January 21, 2013 at 8:38 am

VP Joe, looking great!!!

38. January 21, 2013 at 8:38 am

Hagel confirmation hearings Start January 31st.

39. 69 donna dem 4 obama
    January 21, 2013 at 8:39 am

Joey B has on those navigators and Dr Biden looks beautiful.

40. 70 Dudette
    January 21, 2013 at 8:39 am

The Bidens have arrived at the church.

41. January 21, 2013 at 8:39 am

Good morning everyone. Happy Inauguration Day. Let’s live it up.

42. 72 Grab A Mop Grace
    January 21, 2013 at 8:40 am

I think that POTUS AND VPOTUS have the same tie on:) The suit color is the same too.
    Dr. Jill is wearing a similiar color to FLOTUS as well.
    The pictures of the four of them will be beautiful. Do you think that they planned it?

January 21, 2013 at 8:40 am

More good news to go with our good day.

44. 74 dotster3
    January 21, 2013 at 8:40 am

There’s the cute Bidens, Jill in a lovely periwinkle blue coat. (don’t think I’m excelling as a fashion reporter)

January 21, 2013 at 8:41 am

On AlJazeera historian Doug Wead – The Obamas’ are the trendsetters for first families. Most of the US presidents’ families are dysfunctional

• 77 amk for obama
      January 21, 2013 at 8:44 am

January 21, 2013 at 8:46 am

Wow…and he’s correct. :):)

• 79 auntsis522
          January 21, 2013 at 8:56 am

Ummmm., I get the jest of it but not quite. I am really pleased that Chelsea turned out well considering her home life. I think Amy Carter is ok as well. That all I can remember. Gosh, I am either getting old or too young. LOL

46. January 21, 2013 at 8:43 am

OMG…the mall is filling up FAST!

January 21, 2013 at 8:44 am

January 21, 2013 at 8:46 am

CNN is excited even with their usual snarkiness…Susan Malveaux is super excited – actually she’s been so ALL weekend. So are Don Lemon, Wolfe Blitzer and others :)

• 85 Chi
      January 21, 2013 at 9:03 am

I know, I just turned to it briefly to see Soledad who was breathless and talking to this little 10 year old girl whose dad ‘hired a private plane to bring them to D.C’ because she wanted to witness the inauguration…

49. 86 dotster3
    January 21, 2013 at 8:46 am

Looks like everyone in both fams are in shades of blue——on the blue color chart anyway/complimentary colors. Tom Brown dress and coat, J.Crew shoes—-First Lady’s attire.

• 87 Chi
      January 21, 2013 at 9:04 am

That’s really good…

sends a powerful message…

Last time the President wore a red tie and this time it’s rightfully blue…

50. 88 a4alice
    January 21, 2013 at 8:46 am

Well everyone’s in the church. GM TOD !!! Everyone fired up and ready to go? AMK upthread asked about the weather so I looked it up. it’s 35 degrees and supposed to get up to 45 degrees Fahrenheit . and partly cloudy

Everyone looks fantastic

They are doing a story on Mr. Smith the gentleman that gave PBO his patch on the today show

January 21, 2013 at 8:48 am

Yay. Fedex makes 35th consecutive quarterfinals down under. And Serene breezes through another match. Go Fedex & Serena.

January 21, 2013 at 8:49 am

This is what FLOTUS is wearing.

53. January 21, 2013 at 8:51 am

I couldn’t help but go “oooo” when I saw Mrs.O. To quote Stevie Wonder “isn’t she lovely”. Loved the girls too! Of course, President Barack Obama is incredibly handsome. :). In 2009, I went to the mall for the first inauguration (Froze my butt off, but it was worth it!)

54. January 21, 2013 at 8:52 am

55. 101 Jessica
    January 21, 2013 at 8:52 am

I missed it! If anyone can post a pic please do!

56. 109 auntsis522
    January 21, 2013 at 8:52 am

THIS IS SO EXCITING!! This time 4 years ago, I started a new job so I didn’t see the pre/post inauguration activities. I did see the swearing in because I coincide with my lunch break. Flipping channels between CNN & Headline News. I am sitting in front of tv and laptop all day today. Nothing is planned. :)

57. 111 lisalovesobama
    January 21, 2013 at 8:53 am

is there a link to see inside the Cathedral?

58. 112 Dudette
    January 21, 2013 at 8:53 am

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that picture of the President looking at the picture of FLOTUS hanging in the Metropolitan AME Church. The portrait shows her in that gorgeous red gown that she wore for the State Dinner held for the President of China.

59. 113 PrayerWarriorforObama
    January 21, 2013 at 8:54 am

Happy Inauguration Chips and TODers! I”m with you for the day and I am already feeling your excitement and joy.

Our local radio station has focused all morning on what is happening in Washington. You see, you are affecting the whole world.

60. 114 CEB
    January 21, 2013 at 8:54 am

Good morning TOD ohana!!! I could barely sleep last night; I am so excited. Just saw part of an interview with Reggie on CBS morning show, then changed the station when they announced that Eric the rat Cantor was next up. Also saw the Family as they went to church; love the coats, especially Michelle’s. It is a lovely day in the USA and the world.

61. 115 xtine
    January 21, 2013 at 8:55 am

Gen. Powell @ Dubliner Restaurant having a glass of Guiness: “I’m not on duty!” Bottoms up to a breakfast of champions! LOL!

62. 120 dotster3
    January 21, 2013 at 8:56 am

Malia in J.Crew, Sasha in Kate Spade. I think that is a wrap on my fashion reporting—-will quit while I’m not ahead—- misspelled First Lady’s designer, said he was commonly spelled Tom Brown, not sophisticated enuf to know of the creative spelling, Thom Browne.

63. 123 sherijr
    January 21, 2013 at 8:58 am

Good Morning & Happy Inauguration Day Chips, TOD… World!! Looking forward to sharing it all with all of you :) I’m so excited!

64. 124 a4alice
    January 21, 2013 at 8:58 am

you know I’m actually preferring the CSPAN that’s on my computer than the CSPAN that’s on my TV. The one on my TV has got talking heads and call ins and the one on my computer just has shots of people and crowds gathering, you can hear bands playing in the background. It’s more like you’re there.

65. 133 dotster3
    January 21, 2013 at 9:00 am

Have to add I love the way everyone looks—–love all the classically designed coats, all the understated elegance.

66. 134 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    January 21, 2013 at 9:01 am

IT’S AN AWESOME DAY…I’M WATCHING…PRAYERS HERE FOR A BEAUTIFUL AND ‘SAFE’ DAY! I LOVE MICHELLE’S HAIR…I THINK THAT IS THE PERFECT CUT FOR HER BEAUTIFUL FACE….OFF TO THE FLATSCREEN….GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!!!

67. 136 Dudette
    January 21, 2013 at 9:01 am

PROGRAM FOR INAUGURATION CEREMONIAL SWEARING-IN

Prelude: The United States Marine Band, Colonel Michael J. Colburn, Director

Call to Order and Welcoming Remarks: The Honorable Charles E. Schumer, United States Senator, New York

Invocation: Myrlie Evers-Williams

Musical Selection: The Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir

The Vice Presidential Oath of Office will be administered to Joseph R. Biden, Jr., by Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States The Honorable Sonia Sotomayor

Musical Selection James Taylor

The Presidential Oath of Office will be administered to Barack H. Obama by the Chief Justice of the United States, The Honorable John G. Roberts, Jr.

Inaugural Address: The President of the United States

Musical Selection: Kelly Clarkson

Poet Richard Blanco

Benediction: Reverend Luis Leon

The National Anthem: Beyoncé

January 21, 2013 at 9:03 am

I just saw JAMES TAYLOR!!! :)

69. 141 cluny
    January 21, 2013 at 9:03 am

Good Morning Chips, TODers. The first family looks wonderful as do the Bidens. Happy Inauguration Day – I’m so glad they won’t be freezing lik elast time. There is a very festive mood happening – I think everything is going to be perfect today. Have fun all.

70. January 21, 2013 at 9:04 am

71. 144 proudmemberofglobalzero
    January 21, 2013 at 9:04 am

Good Morning TOD family! I took off today so I could be home to watch EVERYTHING! Very excited about everything but especially about Donna and her pics of everything she sees. Very hard to watch the news channels…..lots of negative reporting from all about crowd size to problems already for his second term.

On the Algerian note. Please know that BP is an British owned company. They are on foreign soil taking advantage of a people in order to extract gas and oil. The only Americans there are ones that are greedy contractors. Yes, feel bad for the dead and injured but in NO WAY are we responsible for security for BP a British owned company.

January 21, 2013 at 9:05 am

AlJazeera coverage is better than BBC.

73. 146 PrayerWarriorforObama
    January 21, 2013 at 9:06 am

Trying again….

Happy Inauguration and Martin Luther King Day to you Chips and the whole of TODville! I am with you all day and I am already feeling your excitement and joy.

74. January 21, 2013 at 9:06 am

75. 149 GGail
    January 21, 2013 at 9:07 am

Good West Coast morning Chipsticks and TOD family

It’s a beautiful day on this MLK and Inauguration Day. Let’s honor both Dr. King and President Obama today with love :-)

January 21, 2013 at 9:08 am

AJ reporter – He is surrounding himself with pragmatists rather than ideologues. (about Kerry/Hagel apptmts.)

77. 153 a4alice
    January 21, 2013 at 9:08 am

hey you guys this is kind of fun CSPAN has a social media page and people are taking pictures of where they are on the mall and how they’re getting there etc.

January 21, 2013 at 9:09 am

It’s wonderful to live in the age of Obama.

79. 157 a4alice
    January 21, 2013 at 9:12 am

Hey UT you’re on the CSPAN social media page

80. 159 Dudette
    January 21, 2013 at 9:13 am

The 2013 Inauguration by the numbers
    (from the Presidential Inauguration Committee)

2,800 (est.): Applications submitted to the Joint Task Force– National Capital Region by groups requesting to march in the Inaugural Parade.

1,500: Number of portable toilets that will be on the National Mall for Monday’s ceremonial swearing-in.

54: Number of inauguration ceremonies, including this year’s celebration, held in Washington.

21: Height, in feet, of each of the five jumbotrons that will be on the National Mall for Monday’s ceremonial swearing-in.

15: Number of consecutive I naugurals for which Charlie Brotman has announced the parade, including this year’s event.

7: Number of times the official Inauguration Day has fallen on a Sunday, including this year’s ceremony.

2: Number of times the public Inauguration date has fallen on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, including this year’s celebration.

81. 160 HZ
    January 21, 2013 at 9:15 am

Joyful Inauguration Day for our nation. So grateful to be here with all of you. First Family, beautiful.

May the Angels of love, peacefulness, and joyfulness sing all around our President, Vice President, First Lady, Second Lady, and our First Daughters.

Up at 4:45 this morning on the west coast. We are just going to be happy with a joyful heart and take it all in on this beautiful haven that our beautiful Chips has created for us. Thanks so much, Chips.HZ

82. January 21, 2013 at 9:15 am

Soledad O’Brien was over the moon this morning with excitement about the Inauguration. She just could not contain it. She kept saying “this is so exciting” over and over. She expressed exactly how I am feeling this morning.

83. 162 Lynn
    January 21, 2013 at 9:15 am

Watching the crowds and crying already. It’s joyous to read all the wonderful comments here and the sharing and caring of Miz Chips and the TOD family is inspiring.

84. 163 ber6964
    January 21, 2013 at 9:16 am

A Beautiful Day for America!!!
    Good Morning Everyone!

85. 164 donna dem 4 obama
    January 21, 2013 at 9:16 am

I am giddy with joy today !!!

ROLL CALL!!!

DonnaDem from Maryland in da house

86. 165 lisalovesobama
    January 21, 2013 at 9:16 am

I can’t find anywhere to watch pundit free. Everywhere I go, some idiot is talking out of his/her ass. :roll: Ugh!

January 21, 2013 at 9:17 am

C-SPAN is interviewing people on the Mall and Democrats and young people are so delightful. The young people are all saying that thanks to Pres. Obama they are more motivated to volunteer, organize, fight for change, volunteer on political campaigns, making their voices heard, etc. They said they’re hopeful for the future because of Pres. Obama and he has sparked their spirit of activism and they are now more likely to pursue public service jobs. He is changing the world one person at a time.

January 21, 2013 at 9:18 am

89. 187 daisydem
    January 21, 2013 at 9:20 am

Good morning TOD. Good morning Chips and everybody! Have been just reading for awhile, trying to find CSPAN on my tv set, but have it streaming from link here in another window on laptop! Got my “cup of joe” in my CUP OF JOE mug I ordered a year ago! Love it! I love Michelle’s dress! Happy Day everyone, happy day.

90. January 21, 2013 at 9:22 am

• 189 donna dem 4 obama
      January 21, 2013 at 9:30 am

Oh God this picture brings me to tears. She reminds me of my dearly departed Gram. She would be so proud today.

91. 190 a4alice
    January 21, 2013 at 9:23 am

electablog’ s wife Anne took this crowd shot lots of people! w00t! :D

92. 191 Dudette
    January 21, 2013 at 9:23 am

93. 192 dotster3
    January 21, 2013 at 9:27 am

Roll Call! Dotster in Illinois, home of the 44th and newly re-elected President of the United States! (I joyfully say that every time we come back from a road trip and see the Welcome to Illinois sign—–“home of the 44th President of the United States”!) (Fun!)

94. 193 kathryn kivett
    January 21, 2013 at 9:28 am

HAPPY DAY…all of them….Oh, what a beautiful family….just adore their outfits and even Michelle’s bangs…they grew on me ; )…and I guess PBO looks OK in his blue tie ; ) just kidding..I mean what can I say…it would be disrespectful of me to say, especially on this day, that PBO is SMOKIN HOT…or that PBO is one handsome dude….or that suit fits in all the right places…….so…..PBO looks OK ; )…….and what a glorious day it is…glorious people to chat with and glorious people to look at….can’t wait…..not cleaning or doing anything but eating, potty breaks, and watching until I am crosseyed……….and by the way….too bad there isn’t a crowd there and PBO has lost support…..give me a break

95. 194 xtine
    January 21, 2013 at 9:28 am

Someone in crowd is holding up a big Kenyan flag! :)

• 195 HZ
      January 21, 2013 at 9:39 am

The church service is over now. The elegant Silver Fox was so protected to Sasha as they were coming out of church. POTUS gave a beautiful smile. Love our SS Detail. Bless them all dear Almighty.HZ

96. 196 squarepeg
    January 21, 2013 at 9:29 am

January 21, 2013 at 9:29 am

Thom Browne is trending on Twitter. The power of First Lady Michelle Obama.

98. 201 kathryn kivett
    January 21, 2013 at 9:30 am

NC here, who will be turning back blue, especially with OFA help!

99. 203 Jessica
    January 21, 2013 at 9:31 am

One of the best moments from Inauguration 2009. This video makes me happy!

January 21, 2013 at 9:36 am

POTUS is stepping out of church now.

101. 207 GGail
    January 21, 2013 at 9:36 am

I’m enjoying the “sights and sounds” C-SPAN link that Chipsticks has provided. They have a camera person on the Mall near the escalator and you get to see people – lots of people working their way to their seats and there’s a black lady there with a lovely voice saying “good morning” anyone need directions?” and if someone stops for directions, she gives them the directions to their seats – she has a very pleasant demeanor and people are saying good morning back to her. The small things that make a day like today go smoothly :-)

102. 209 sonjiaduncan
    January 21, 2013 at 9:41 am

Watching cspan, who said the crowds would be much smaller this time. Just coming out of church and the crowds are chanting OBAMA..
    FLOTUS and the girls look great.

103. 210 carolyn
    January 21, 2013 at 9:45 am

All of us can relax……Our Silver Fox SS man is right by the president…..he’s on duty!

104. 211 PrayerWarriorforObama
    January 21, 2013 at 9:49 am

The singing at the mall is so beautiful, I wish ABC, CNN and others would cut some of the snarky commentary and let us enjoy this lovely and inspirational sound.

105. 212 Mae who love our CIC
    January 21, 2013 at 9:50 am

Good morning TOD. A great getting up morning. Thanks Chips for bringing the goods. We can always count on you. The greatest source of news in the USA.

Watching C-Span and were becoming annoyed with the commentators. In the minute it was irritating, solved my own problem with the mute button.

Good to hang out with you family.

January 21, 2013 at 9:59 am

Magnificent Monday is here!!!! Just been having my coffee and reading the play by play from all of you:) I’m so excited!!!! How grateful I am to be living in age of Obama, our informational President! Not going to listen to the tv just yet….as time gets closer I will…just want to savor this moment in peace and quiet…..Morning TOD!

RSS OFA