Jan

Night Everyone

First time I saw Barack Obama on my TeeVee, I thought “What’s with the ears?”

Honest, that was my initial impression, I reckoned anyone with ears of that pointy-out-ed-ness couldn’t possibly ever be President.

It was further proof of my intellectual heavy-weighted-ness.

Then I read his books, and checked out his history, and I decided: I’m in.

And I’ve never wanted to be anywhere else since.

I won’t go on, even though I’m in a rambling mood after such a beautiful day.

My support has never – honest! – been unconditional, that America is still in Afghanistan, for example, depresses me, even though I think I understand the strategic ‘reasoning’ behind still being there.

And there was lots about today’s ceremony that left me feeling queasy, although I’m certain PBO can’t be blamed for that. I suspect it makes him uncomfortable too. Too much jingoism, too much chest-thumping about America’s ‘might’ – a might that has often inflicted way more harm than good on the world. And that’s just the truth.

But, I love the man, and I love everything he has done and has tried to do, in the face of unrelenting, often vicious, opposition. He is good and decent to the core. As I’ve said a million times, I feel blessed to be alive in his time.

I’m not one to quote poetry, but….. Irish poet Seamus Heaney:

History says, Don’t hope
on this side of the grave.
But then, once in a lifetime
the longed for tidal wave
of justice can rise up,
and hope and history rhyme.

For me, Barack Obama is making hope and history rhyme.

Thanks for everything, see you tomorrow. Today was the best of days, just blissful.

108 Responses to “Night Everyone”

1. 1 Proud Former White House Intern
    January 22, 2013 at 12:38 am

Nite nite

• 2 yardarm756
      January 22, 2013 at 12:41 am

Congrats Proud……Thanks Admiral……Taps. taps. Lights out. All hands turn in. Taps.

• 3 globalcitizenlinda
      January 22, 2013 at 5:52 am

what a great day to be alive!

thanks a lot Chips for setting up & maintaining this blog and letting us share such a historic day together. You have kept up with the speed he events today – left my excited head & hearth spinning! thanks so much for ALL you do!

2. January 22, 2013 at 12:40 am

You are the Rock of Ages, Chips!!!!!!!

3. January 22, 2013 at 12:44 am
    • 6 Dudette
      January 22, 2013 at 1:30 am

I’ve watched that moment so many times today and marveled at what an amazing moment that was for the President, for history really. In all those times, just nowthat gif is the first time I noticed the great Pete Souza turn around and come back to take a photo over the President’s shoulder to capture exactly what the President saw in that instant. Pete Souza was born for that role. He is a modern day Michaelangelo.

• 7 Lana
        January 22, 2013 at 3:37 am

It actually looked to me like Malia called Pete back to take a photo… she is turning into a bright and beautiful young woman right before our eyes, isn’t she? Look at that clip one more time to see if I’m just imagining it.

• 10 globalcitizenlinda
        January 22, 2013 at 6:51 am

Lana seems to be correct in her observation that Malia called Mr. Pete Souza back to take the short. The only thing I might add is that it appears as though the two First Kids were working together. If you look at the back of POTUS, it seems as though Sasha is talking to Malia indicating that the shot should be taken.

It should also be timely to note that Malia is in fact interested in photography & documented a lot of the events during her Dad’s first inaugration

• 11 Dudette
          January 22, 2013 at 8:22 am

Heyyyyyy, you’re right!!! I didn’t see that. That’s so cool!
          Those young ladies are something else. It was Sasha who noticed the people behind the stage on Election Night and got her Dad to turn around and acknowledge them. Way to go girls!

• 12 utaustinliberal
        January 22, 2013 at 7:07 am

That moment was wonderful because it showed a humanity in him that he wanted to take in all the hard work, the blood, sweat and tears, and yes joy that have brought him and us to this day. It was perfect.

4. January 22, 2013 at 12:45 am

Goodnight everyone have wonderful dreams about our Prez he is the best, see everyone tomorrow

5. January 22, 2013 at 12:46 am

I too feel blessed to live in his time. He is the most inspirational President of my lifetime.

And you, Chipsticks – what an outstanding job you have done on this Inauguration Day and on all the days you have posted on this blog.

Thank you for starting – and leading – this community.

Forward!

January 22, 2013 at 12:46 am
      January 22, 2013 at 12:48 am
  7. 17 carolmaewy
    January 22, 2013 at 12:51 am

This is a great day. Thanks Chips. Congrats Proud!

8. 18 mtmarilyn
    January 22, 2013 at 12:54 am

I Just wrote a beautiful good night, posted it and there was chips saying new post. Thank you all for an amazing day. Gold night.

9. 22 taiping1
    January 22, 2013 at 1:01 am

I thought I would support Hillary since she was the year behind me at Wellesley but I was anti-war and PBO was right. The more I listened to him the more committed I became. None of the compromises of the Clintons. A rare politician with no real skeletons in the closet. Someone who dared to call on our angels. Someone with grace, grit, hope, integrity, and idealism grounded in pragmatism. Someone who inspires communities such as this one. Unique. Thank you Chips for creating this space to share on this journey.

• 23 4morefor44
      January 22, 2013 at 1:06 am

seconded and third-ed!!

January 22, 2013 at 1:11 am

I thought I would support Hillary since she could have been our first woman President, and I’m her approximate age and wanted to see that happen in my lifetime, and thought it might be my only chance. But then I noticed Barack Obama. I said to a friend back in ’07 that I knew I “should” vote for Hillary, but … My friend agreed, “We want a woman President – but not just any woman.” Six years later, I’m still supporting President Obama, and never looked back!

• 25 4morefor44
        January 22, 2013 at 1:20 am

i say we all work hard to make elizabeth warren the candidate for 2016. I called obama in 2004 after his speech, and now i think warren has “it” too. she can win if we let her know now that we have her back. warren 2016!!

January 22, 2013 at 1:24 am

I see your point, and good for Elizabeth Warren to have a huge following, but I’m Ridin’ with Biden in 2016, if he’s running. We have a lot of great candidates, don’t we! May the best man or woman win!

• 27 4morefor44
            January 22, 2013 at 1:52 am

biden will be 74 in 2016, and would be 75 when sworn in. I feel like there’s a been a noticeable slow down recently in his speech patterns, so i don’t see him running in 2016. this great man has been through so much already in his life, that i just don’t think he’ll want to go through the grueling process.

every time i’ve seen elizabeth warren speak (her campaigning, the democratic Convention, acceptance speech) she makes the room electric, much like a young barack obama did. this is what’s needed to win a national election. warren has it and has proven that she has it. personally, i already know she needs to be the candidate in 2016 to carry on the obama revolution. i’ll support whoever is the democratic candidate of course, but elizabeth warren is the only one i can see at this time who can really carry on president obama’s vision to its fullest extent.

• January 22, 2013 at 7:15 am

Right now, I agree with Jacque, I think PBO will go all out to set the policies this term and Biden will caretake them in 2016 to make sure Change from these policies are on a sure footing. Yes, Joe will be older, but I think 1 term with Biden at helm ably surrounded by the President’s network of talent to help him will maintain the course. Of course, he will need to be ably assisted by a VP (who could be Warren or a number of others….great future)

January 22, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Of course, I understand the age thingie. But I’m just enjoying my dream of seeing a President Biden! I’ll stand by our Democratic candidate, no matter who he or she is!

• 30 nospin
            January 22, 2013 at 7:38 am

I am also riden with Biden!

• 31 jackiegrumbacher
        January 22, 2013 at 8:37 am

JOB, you scare me sometimes because there’s something uncannily similar about our journeys. At first, my head told me to support Hilary, but my heart was with Barack Obama from the moment he appeared at the 2004 national convention. He’s one of a kind and we had to choose him as our president or we would miss a huge opportunity as a country. I’m so proud that “we the people” stepped up to the plate, not once, but twice.

January 22, 2013 at 12:41 pm

You’re startin’ to “scare” me, too, jackie – but not really. We’re just like minded people! I think I can speak for both of us in saying we chose the right candidate in Barack Obama!

10. 34 carolmaewy
    January 22, 2013 at 1:02 am

Michelle’s dress was chiffon and velvet! Did you see PBOs hand go low again while they were dancing? What a day!

11. 41 lovingandlaughing
    January 22, 2013 at 1:03 am

I just wrote a long thank you to you chips…then my thumb rested on my iPad in thewrong spot and I lost it! So I will quickly say Chipsticks thank you a million gazillion times for all you do. I so wish you could have been given a VIP seat to take in the Inaguration ceremony in person today. Thank you so much for bringing together articles and photos and stories and speeches and this and that that show us the true man that makes up President Barack Obama! I honestly believe you were a part of the reason PBO was elected for a second term. You are the anti Fox news..you spread the goodness! Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

12. 42 4morefor44
    January 22, 2013 at 1:05 am

i see people say that kind of thing often, “he’s not perfect” and so on, but I must say that I can’t imagine a person being able to perform that job as close to perfection as president obama has. seriously. given all the factors stacked against him and the healing he has brought to not just America, but to the world, i literally cannot see how someone could have done any more than he has. he’s as close to perfection as a president as humanly possible. i realize that sounds “fan-boyish” but it is true nonetheless.

13. 44 isonprize
    January 22, 2013 at 1:07 am

Something within me — Take 6

14. 47 Walking_on_ Sunshine
    January 22, 2013 at 1:09 am

Thank you Chipsticks. Sweet dreams. You helped to make today happen :)

I can’t catch up with all the goodness you posted today, no matter how I try. So I’ll just spend the rest of the week going over today’s posts.

I loved the moment when the President turned around to look back at the crowd because he said he would never see that again. That and the kisses in the viewing booth with the girls taking pictures. Especially Michelle reaching out to wipe her lipstick off the President’s mouth. They are just so natural and normal.

15. January 22, 2013 at 1:11 am

Chips, you know I don’t post often so I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for every photo, video and article you post. There have been times when I couldn’t take the negativity, disrespect and bashing from all sides for President Obama and I rushed to your site like a repentant sinner to church, my soul was soothed. I don’t know if you truly understand what you have done for me and I’m sure many others during the last four years. Sometimes, the “ugly” got so bad I literally needed to read TOD to cleanse my thoughts so again, thank you for this Inauguration Day bonanza and I’m glad I spent it here with all of the TODers. I won’t ramble…. see you all tomorrow.

16. 53 PamfromCalif
    January 22, 2013 at 1:26 am

What a wonderful day. Thank you Chips for all the photos, videos and positive words at this website. Good night.

17. 54 Lana
    January 22, 2013 at 1:31 am

I’m here every day, even thought I don’t comment much, and I’m so glad I was here today to see all the wonderful posts and comments. I am simply stunned by the day and by our President… the entire First Family in fact. TOD is a wonderful haven and i’m thankful for it every day… especially today.

• 55 Dudette
      January 22, 2013 at 1:40 am

“I am simply stunned by the day and by our President… the entire First Family in fact. TOD is a wonderful haven and i’m thankful for it every day… especially today.”

You’ve said exactly what I came to say. Thank you Lana, Thank you TOD Family… THANK YOU CHIPS!!

18. 57 Cha
    January 22, 2013 at 1:41 am

Mahalo, Chips, for such a Beautiful Inauguration Celebration. on The Obama Diary.. with all the Pics, Vids, and Comments! Absolutely, felt the next best thing to being there in DC.

19. 58 carolmaewy
    January 22, 2013 at 1:51 am

Night. See you when I see you. God bless America.

January 22, 2013 at 1:54 am

Super marathon blogging today Chips with wonderful pics and videos.

You are hereby granted two days of leave from blogging.

21. 62 canadabarb4obama
    January 22, 2013 at 1:59 am

thanks so much, Chips, for a terrific day!

22. 63 purpleshoesla
    January 22, 2013 at 2:02 am

Standing O for our blog warrior goddess Miz Chips. Thank you. Good night TOD Peeps. Joyous day to experience with y’all. Fais de beaux reves. Our illustrious President is ready to get to work and so must we be as well. It’s about to be on like donkey kong.

23. 64 carla4obama
    January 22, 2013 at 2:04 am

A Beautiful day in America. What a journey it has been. Sleep well President Obama and your beautiful First Lady.

24. 65 Dudette
    January 22, 2013 at 2:14 am
  25. January 22, 2013 at 2:16 am

What Senator Reid does during the hours of 22 Jan 2013 will be of enormous significance. I think he and President Obama realize that fact.

We must crush the 20Jan2009 #InaugurationInsurgency once and for all.

Yes We Can

good night friends …

• January 22, 2013 at 2:24 am

Oh, one comment before sleep … Dear Chips, you note:

“And there was lots about today’s ceremony that left me feeling queasy, although I’m certain PBO can’t be blamed for that. I suspect it makes him uncomfortable too. Too much jingoism, too much chest-thumping about America’s ‘might’ – a might that has often inflicted way more harm than good on the world. And that’s just the truth.”

Yes, IN_DEED, ‘that’s just the truth.”

While it is only folly to ever pretend to be in anyone’s mind other than one’s own, it seems reasonable to me that both President Obama and VP Biden agree with you. Pure supposition, but in the balance of their actions, not words I do not consider myself stretching the boundaries of likelihood.

#FORWARD

• 68 prettyfoot58
        January 22, 2013 at 6:58 am

i must say…i did not see his words as jingoism…but as in all things it is where one sits that can determine ones perspective

26. 69 Beverly
    January 22, 2013 at 2:41 am

~Sighs happily ~ Chips and ToDers are probably all asleep but I have to say: Thank you Chips, for all the links and the updates. I worked today and then came home and worked some more. I yelled at people over dinner “No spoilers!” and then I settled down with the laptop to experience the wonder of this day through CSPAN and you guys and…now it’s 2:30. Every moment was sublime. ~sighs happily~ Have good night, everyone.

27. 70 99ts
    January 22, 2013 at 4:04 am

Dear Chips

Other than “that America is still in Afghanistan” – I don’t think I have heard much about what you don’t like about this President

Think I was the opposite – I was amazed that he did get out of Iraq

So I think we are both rather close to that “unconditional love” – which I have only ever seen before between mother & child – my mother and my child for me.

My political heroes – Nelson Mandela and Barack Obama – both in countries where blacks were suppressed – both black leaders who looked for equality – not supremacy.

28. 71 DeeDub
    January 22, 2013 at 4:07 am

Hello Chips,

I, too, rarely comment [so many comments echo my own]but I am compelled to post my gratitude and appreciation for this fabulous Inauguration Day series! We, hubby and 21-year son were in DC on the Mall to bear witness once again to President Obama’s inauguration. We missed the coverage of the Inaugural Balls and so I was eager to get home because I knew the one place that would surely have the best pics and comments is The Obama Diary!!! And so after a very long Inaugural day and 5 hour ride from DC to NC, arriving home past 1 am, I check TOD and I am rewarded with the best coverage evah- a 16-part series!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! You are simply…the best! Donna from Raleigh

• 72 99ts
      January 22, 2013 at 4:13 am

Hello Donna – from the other side of the world – how wonderful that you made it to DC – would love to hear about your day – but maybe after you get some sleep.

29. 73 susanne
    January 22, 2013 at 5:06 am

good night todville~ it’s been a marvelous day, much awaited, deeply needed, and worked for with devotion for so long. it’s been a great gift to share this moment with all of you! and now, the four more years!

• 74 HZ
      January 22, 2013 at 11:46 pm

I just wanted to add my thanks and goodnight to Chips and my TOD Family. I was so tired and then got ill last evening, so I do not even remember whether I said good night. Plus, I had a doctor’s appointment at 8:40 am this morning, and I was so nervous that I would not be able to make it. I had to pray hard to wake up and secure the house and then get to sleep because of the early rising.

We all were so excited and rightly so. I did not want to miss anything, and I really can’t remember whether I was on my best behavior, so please Chips and my TOD family, thank you so much for making this a beautiful day for our president and family and his TOD Family here.

I made it to the doctor, but I was very weak and feeling very shaking, but what better place to be than in the office of my doctor. I made it, took care of the business at hand and made it back home. Weak, but I knew that I had pushed the body and mind to its limits for two days. Stopped by(they were in their garage) to say hello to my 85 and 86 yr. old neighbors(she is very ill), but still trying to hold on with grace. So the time was delightful and God gave me the peaceful strength to do the right thing during my visit. Came home and went to bed and woke up during the latter part of Rev. Al. I know that I had to be so tired.

I am so grateful to you, Chips for your steady love for POB and for each of us here. You give my heart so much joy and love, so my heart is so full tonight for this beautiful haven and for your strong love and commitment to POB. I pray that blessings will always be at your table of “The Table of Love for Humanity.”

I love you, respect you, and I am so grateful to Almight God for your love, your compassion, your sweet spirit, and your firm commitment to help us all be better angels of compassion, respect, gentle spirits, carriers of much sweet laughter, and sweet, sweet fragrances of the “Obama Love.” (((((((( Thank you, my special angel.)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))HZ

30. 75 swbluega
    January 22, 2013 at 6:22 am

Good morning everyone! Yesterday was a glorious day in America!!!

Thank you Chipsticks for helping us to be a part of it. Although I had a hard time keeping up, I must say that thouroughness of the information, the details, EVERYTHING helped me feel like I was there. And the input from the TOD’s highlighted things that I may have missed otherwise.

You outdid yourself blog goddess. Thank you for what you do.

31. 76 prettyfoot58
    January 22, 2013 at 6:45 am

You outdid yourself blog goddess. Thank you for what you do.

***********************************************

Gm everyone,,,,in TODville…GM MsChipsssssssssssssss…..

MsChipsssss….

i thought that your coverage of the DEM Convention was sooo Awwwsome….but your coverage of PBOs inauguration exceeded that…Thank you ever so much….

Bless You MsChipssss…

32. 77 prettyfoot58
    January 22, 2013 at 6:55 am

It seems as if the the pundits were wrong again….(((what a surprise)))…they said that there was not the same enthusiam as the First Inaugural…that there would not be the same crowd….

well there were over one million people in attendance…. they closed the mall…and sent folks to an alternate place…to view the inauguration on the Big Screens…

33. January 22, 2013 at 7:03 am

Chips my goodness you express my feelings exactly. But it wasn’t the ears…it was the whole package >> black, with the middle name of “Hussein”. Who the hell does he think he is…black people like me didn’t need this…WE WANT HILLARY..or so I thought. Then in 2007 I read his book…got mildly excited…until the Iowa Caucus. It’s been uphill ever since and this BLOG just warms my old lady heart each and everyday!

• 80 jackiegrumbacher
      January 22, 2013 at 8:44 am

Poor Michelle. She really drew the short straw with that lunch arrangement. I’m sure she’ rather have been anywhere else. I wonder what he said that time. You notice when she first sat down, she talked past him to Mrs. Rusty, ignoring him completely.

• 81 nabsentia23
        January 22, 2013 at 2:57 pm

I’ve heard a thing or two about how Boehner behaves at these type of functions. I just hope he hadn’t been drinking before hand.

34. 82 prettyfoot58
    January 22, 2013 at 7:20 am
  35. January 22, 2013 at 7:22 am

This Presudent also used the Military fir the Oil spill, Japan and Haiti. And countless other natural disasters working with FEMA.
    Let’s not confuse what this President has done and what GW and mostly Cheney did! Their is a drumbeat in our media right now, even Richard Engel in MTP says the President cannot turn a blind eye to what’s happening in the middle east, that it is not going away. Also, 3 Americans just fit killed by Al Qaeda. You say that the US military has done more harm than good in the world? What about Al Qaeda???
    Thus, I disagree with that part of your thread, everything else was beautiful!

36. 88 prettyfoot58
    January 22, 2013 at 7:39 am

For LL…

January 22, 2013 at 7:48 am

Morning, Everyone! It is a GOOD Morning too!

• 90 donna dem 4 obama
      January 22, 2013 at 7:55 am

Morning VC,

I’m moving mighty slow today. I crashed around 9:30 last night. I was far more exhausted than I realized. Now I have to get up and drag myself to work. I’ll be checking in today to get your update of your day in DC.

January 22, 2013 at 8:37 am

Morning, my dear. I crashed about the same time. I only checked the Inauguration ball ‘dancing’ video this morning. Thanks, Ms Chips! You make it so much easier to catch special moments that ‘I’d be lost without you’. Wasn’t there once a song with that title? Maybe not. On well.

DD, I’m working on the report – however, I am switching hotels today to one nearer to DC, so we’ll see. I’m also waiting to ask Theo if she knows how to upload pics from my little Canon camera (I don’t and my personal uploader = offspring is hopefully on his way to class even as I write ;) ). Be warned, I am the world’s worst photographer so what I do have will definitely not meet the TOD photographic standards, but….we’ll see. ;)

Can you all tell, we’ll see’ is my new motto?

Have a good day, everyone!

January 22, 2013 at 7:51 am

Morning!! Bright new day, and I slept like a baby:) Beautiful thoughts, Chips….those funny ears have heard the people speak:)

39. 93 collegekay
    January 22, 2013 at 8:00 am

Good morning. Hope y’all had a fun weekend :)

40. 97 dotster3
    January 22, 2013 at 8:09 am
  41. January 22, 2013 at 8:16 am

Thank you Chips for the fantastic coverage of the whole day. Between here and C-span I was able to avoid the pundits’ comments. I listened a bit to NBC but couldn’t stand Gregory saying the president is reluctant to engage with people. After that, the channel was switched. This place is truly inspirational and all of you folks are terrific.

42. 100 ouapiti
    January 22, 2013 at 8:24 am

Ah, the morning after feels great! Thanks so much, Chips and all TODers, for making the inauguration-viewing such a treat! Onward and forward!

43. 102 prettyfoot58
    January 22, 2013 at 8:32 am
    • 103 isonprize
      January 22, 2013 at 9:04 am

The sobering comment from this article ….

“Three years to the day we left Philly, I was burying my son. . . . You can’t move away from the problem.”

You can’t movte away from the problem. This is what our country has to realize. How many more must die before we understand that we can’t movte away from the problem. WE MUST CONFRONT IT.

44. 105 isonprize
    January 22, 2013 at 8:45 am

I’m sure that Chica is EXHAUSTED!!

Chica, I don’t know how you did it, but I’m so glad that you did!! I have referred so many people to this site for the Inauguration series. What a gem you are!

45. 107 Virginia
    January 22, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Was nice to hear Chips Obama discover story. I had a similar experience. I read his book sometime in the late 90s and was so impressed recommended it to my book club. Then I happened to hear his name again sometime in the early 2000s, and looked for him on the internet. There were only a few pictures of him and Michelle, he was a State senator at the time, and Sasha was a newborn. I was impressed with the beautiful family and their bios. I reread his book, and vowed that if he ever ran for national office, I would support him. Already people were talking about his future in politics.

I kind of lost touch after that, and then came the 2004 speech at the Democratic Convention, and the rest is history–I was in–even though many of my friends were furious at me for abandoning Hillary.

46. January 22, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Making hope and history rhyme. I like that. Thank you.