Jan

This and That

President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama greet visitors during an inaugural open house in the Blue Room of the White House, Jan. 22, 2013. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

Tonight:

9:0 ET: The President, Vice President, First Lady and Dr Biden attend the Staff Inaugural Ball

Not sure if there is coverage of this, try the usual links in the sidebar on the right

President Barack Obama, First Lady Michelle Obama, Dr. Jill Biden and Vice President Biden applaud the choir as they attend a prayer service at Washington National Cathedral on January 22

President Barack Obama talks with House Speaker John Boehner and his wife Debbie Boehner at the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies tea in the Blue Room of the White House, Jan. 21, 2013. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama wave to people as they ride in the inaugural parade in Washington, D.C., Jan. 21, 2013. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

Hiya everyone, sorry I wasn’t able to be around much today, which was huuuuugely frustrating because there are a gazillion gorgeous photos and videos I wanted to share. Tomorrow’s a bit nuts too with work, I won’t be able to catch up until later in the day, but we’ll get there in the end. :???: Come the weekend, I’ll do a proper review of the Inauguration, with the best stuff I can find.

As usual, I owe a bunch of you email replies, will get there in the end. I hope!

284 Responses to “This and That”

1. January 22, 2013 at 8:46 pm

EVening fellow TODers!

January 22, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Congrats on #1! :)

• January 22, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Hi Hopefruit! Happy Post-Inauguration Tuesday! Day 2 (although it feels like Day 1) of President Obama’s second term. That thought kept me happy all day, even through teaching my second graders about Tables of Contents and chapter headings in their informative writing. :P

• 4 amk for obama
      January 22, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Dratz. You stop for a minute to enjoy the pics, and the stampede is on.

TOD’ers/smh

January 22, 2013 at 8:49 pm

First ?

3. January 22, 2013 at 8:52 pm

I thought this was a good article that discusses the through-the-looking-glass logic of Republicans now. Pretty funny too…

Michael Gerson, Bush’s speech writer exposes Obama’s cynical “being reasonable” ploy.l

January 22, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Chips, stop ‘sorry’ing and making us all feel like tyrants.

Go, take a break. You deserve it.

• January 22, 2013 at 8:56 pm

:-) You’re a kind man Amk! But I coulda ripped my hair out today, yucky work stopped me from digging out the best pics and all that, just caught a glimpse of the seriously wonderful images from yesterday. And tomorrow I have a silly work computer course thingie, which I have to go to – I confidently predict, the expert will spend much of his/her time teaching us how to turn on a ‘puter. Grr. Hope all’s good with ya!

• 31 a4alice
      January 22, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Yay! Good to see you AMK. I was sad cuz I thought you had left and I would miss your wonderful terrible jokes! ;-)

• 32 amk for obama
        January 22, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Why, thank you alice. Sorry, you’re gonna be stuck with terrible jokes a la boner. :)

• 33 a4alice
          January 22, 2013 at 9:12 pm

I wouldn’t have it any other way! :-)

• 34 daisydem
            January 22, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Me too amk … and think of it … we don’t have to campaign any more, not yet, not til 2015 … yes, we have to push the agenda against those rethugs, but we’ve got the powah! Hang in here with us … we need you.

• January 22, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Amk pls don’t ever stop telling your funny, silly crazy jokes. My 93 year old mom whom I speak to nightly awaits your jokes more then
          my calls. She has been so sad that i’ve not had them to offer NIGHTLY tvm

• 36 Betsy
            January 22, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Hear hear. I LOVE your jokes. Please don’t leave us :)

• 37 amk for obama
            January 22, 2013 at 9:41 pm

OMG. I’ve indeed turned into a monster.

This one is for your mom.

A young vacuum cleaner salesman knocks on the door of the house of an old lady. When she opens the door, he goes straight to her trash can and spills out all the contents on the kitchen floor.

Appalled by his behavior, she asks him what is he doing ?

He says, “Don’t worry madam. This vacuum cleaner will suck up every bit of this trash. If it doesn’t, I will lick them off of the floor”

The old lady smiles and says, “young man, you didn’t know that we had a black-out this morning ? Did ya?”

5. 41 LunarSea
    January 22, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Okay just got thru the last thread and I’m wondering if anyone has seen the picture Souza took when PBO stopped to view the crowd. I’ve seen a few really nice one, but I want to see that one in particular.

6. 44 vitaminlover
    January 22, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I know why President Obama was smiling so wide at bonehead in that picture with him and his wife–he was really laughing at him.

7. January 22, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Ugh, rubbish editing on this video, that’s what happens when you’re rushing way too much :oops:

Any way, an image or two:

8. 53 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    January 22, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Bringing stuff over from the end of last one…

and

Awwwwwwwwww — some DNC members are having a sad…

(I for one am damn happy with the retool — now, I can donate to OFA, individual candidate, and IF I choose, the DNC…)

• 54 amk for obama
      January 22, 2013 at 9:02 pm

dws is re-elected unanimously as dnc head with PBO’s solid support. So that’s why they are whining?

• 55 Alycee (@jazziz2)
        January 22, 2013 at 9:07 pm

‘cuse he’s not turning over the OFA lists!

• 56 Alycee (@jazziz2)
        January 22, 2013 at 9:10 pm

and, of course, it’s NOT DWS whining — obscure cmte folks (read clintonistas)

• 57 amk for obama
          January 22, 2013 at 9:11 pm

I bet it’s them. They’ve their own agenda yet they whine when Prez has his own ?

Fuck’em.

• 58 majiir
          January 23, 2013 at 12:43 am

Fruck ‘em, all of ‘em. I don’t want them to have my name because when PBO needed them to be up front and center the last four years, the cowards were hiding out in the background, trying to avoid taking any heat. I don’t like cowards.

• 59 majiir
            January 23, 2013 at 12:45 am

Not to mention that the DNC caught holy hell getting donations from me because of these cowards. I dontaed to OFA many times, and I guess they noticed and decided to come begging. I gave them a few donations, but nothing like those I gave OFA, and I did it on purpose.

• 60 No Child Left Behind
        January 22, 2013 at 9:42 pm

It will be so good if I could donate to Democrats I prefer. While I have respect for Blue Dogs, at times I wish I could re-direct my funds away from them. They have been a pain in the neck many times, particularly during the healthcare saga.

• 61 jackiegrumbacher
      January 22, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Alycee, the DNC does NOT do organizing at the local level, so really there’s no comparison. DWS got it right. You can’t start up a campaign operation every four years, you have to keep it going in every state and every county if you’re going to be effective.

9. 63 carolmaewy
    January 22, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Good Evening. Congrats Mary. Thanks again Chips for the beautiful photos.

January 22, 2013 at 9:04 pm

I read that Al Green was invited to perform “Let’s Stay Together” for the First Couple’s first dance last night, and was honored but turned down due to “scheduling conflicts.” I’m thinking more likely he had concerns about his voice not being up to par for singing at the event.

January 22, 2013 at 9:18 pm

How could Al Green turn down that? I would love to know what the scheduling conflicts was.

January 22, 2013 at 9:26 pm

As I stated earlier, I think his voice (given his age) may have been the real issue here. If he can’t sing, then it doesn’t do him or the President any good – no matter how well-intended. Someone said they saw him perform at a function 2 years ago and he was more talking and singing, and could not reach most of the notes in the song.

Having said that I think someone else – even Jamie Fox could have sang that song better than Hudson because her voice and singing style is not best for that particular song. Just my 2 cents.

• 67 Puddin'
          January 22, 2013 at 9:37 pm

The last time I saw Al Green he did not sing, he talked more and let the crowd sing. So, I agree with you hopefruit2.

• 68 sabreen60
          January 22, 2013 at 11:33 pm

I agree. Moreover, the song was not a good “slow dance” song – but I could have watched the First Couple dance to the theme song from Mickey Mouse and loved every moment of it.

• January 24, 2013 at 6:44 pm

I just got back from DC. I was visiting my daughter and witnessing the inauguration. I was able to snag two tickets from my senator. We got up at 3 in the morning and got on our yellow line at 4:30. Where we stood we could not see anything. We are short. It was so cold. I loved his speech, but other than that it was a big disappointment. Then we rushed over to our green parade seats that we had purchased. We had nice seats, but not where either the President or the Vice President walked. We could see him a bit through the dark windows waving. That was a bit better, but still not what I had dreamed. I had a wonderful time meeting up with some TOD members on Sunday. Now I am trying to get caught up with all these posts. So I come to you hopefuit2, is there a video of Hudson singing, people dancing, anything that I can watch to get caught up with everyone else. In a way I feel like I missed the whole show while I was waiting for hours in the cold. Can you help a girl out?

January 24, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Cindy I’m sorry that your experience on Inauguration Day did not live up to expectations. It must have been a real bummer getting up so early and not being able to see much from the area you were standing/sitting. But on the other hand, great that you were able to meet up with TODers who came :)

Chips has a special link devoted to just the Inauguration which contains photographs, captions, videos of speeches, ceremony, dancing, Inaugural balls, etc. It’s in the upper right hand corner of the site titled “2013 Inauguration Posts” with a pic of PBO and FLOTUS dancing at the ball. If you can’t find it let me know. Good luck catching up!!

January 22, 2013 at 9:05 pm
    January 22, 2013 at 9:08 pm

The Obamas’ have truly the WH into people’s house, haven’t they ? I am so glad they still refuse to caught in the friggin’ dc bubble.

13. 75 yardarm756
    January 22, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Beware folks. While we’re partying in the big house the rethugs are rearranging the seating in the outhouse. :-(

14. 82 prettyfoot58
    January 22, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Important segment on RM about gerrymandering the Electoral Votes to disenfranchise us and destroying democracy….

can the justice department intervene….

15. 85 Dudette
    January 22, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Here I am… bringing up the rear again! Oh well, better late than never.

Yet another breaktakingly wonderful collection of photos and video, Chips! Wow!!

16. 86 Dudette
    January 22, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Bringing the Where’s Waldo thing over here (sorry for the repeat), but this is just TOOO cool!

17. 94 Dudette
    January 22, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Elizabeth Warren has 3 photos rolling circulation on her website’s home page (http://www.warren.senate.gov/)

1) Her swearing-in ceremony (clicking on it links to a Boston Globe article about her and Joe Kennedy III coming to Congress)
    2) Picture of Jimmy Stewart in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington with the caption “It’s time for filibuster reform (link from this takes you to her HuffPo Op-ed about the filibuster)
    3) Picture of the Capitol Bldg drapped in the 5 special Inaug flags (link to that takes you to the Senate website)

I LOVE THIS WOMAN! I will claim her as my “Senator-in-absentia” (yeh, I made it up), since I have two useless Rs as my Georgia Senators.

• 95 daisydem
      January 22, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I live in frigging Alabama. Can I claim her too? Can we share?

• 96 carolyn
        January 22, 2013 at 11:07 pm

I live in Oklahoma with Inhofe and Coburn…….yech! I’m claiming her too…….my dad was born in MA and I went to college there……I also donated to her campaign…….imagine she’d be glad to claim us all!

18. 97 No Child Left Behind
    January 22, 2013 at 9:36 pm

I hope this tweet is correct. Not that I have anything agaisnt Beyoncé signing for real or not, I would like to clarify the lie that is going around. (If indeed it is a lie.) In any case, it was her voice I heard and that is all that matters. Besides, I care more about whom she was signing for. It is President Obama and not the Mittster.

beyoncColombia #CBSNEWS CONFIRMS THAT BEYONCE WAS SINGING LIVE OVER A BACKING TRACK

19. 98 Don
    January 22, 2013 at 9:37 pm

So the DNC is upset because President Obama won’t release “The List?” good, he shouldn’t give them a goddamn thing. I refuse to give my money to a group of lightweights that didn’t stand with President Obama when things got tough. I do remember Debbie Wasserman Schultz standing up for President Obama, if and when she needs money for her campaign, well then I’m all in. I think OFA is the future when it comes to focusing on which candidates will best fight for the needs of the many.

20. January 22, 2013 at 9:37 pm

I posted this a the tail end of one of the Inauguration Day posts and I don’t know if anyone saw it. I enjoyed it very much so I repost it for your potential pleasure:

21. January 22, 2013 at 9:44 pm

MOST IMPORTANT UPDATE OF THE DAY:

Very important Gawker comment on the Beyonce controversy. gawker.com/5978067/?post=… h/t @rosiegray— Andrew Kaczynski (@BuzzFeedAndrew) January 23, 2013</blo

• January 22, 2013 at 10:46 pm

GB, this comment at the link is one I totally agree …

“Soundman212 3 hours ago
      My friend was working as a sound engineer for the event yesterday. He works for MSI (MD Sound International); the company that set up the audio portion of the production. He swears that IT WAS NOT LIP SYNCHED, it was live.
      As someone who actually has some experience with live sound production, I have to agree with his assessment. If she was lip synching, she wouldn’t have been able to jettison the in-ear monitor, and pull it off convincingly. There’s just no way.
      The Jarhead (Marine) is right. Get over it conspiracy theorists!”

January 22, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Incredible! h/t to Maddow Blog :)

January 22, 2013 at 9:49 pm
  24. 119 lisalovesobama
    January 22, 2013 at 9:56 pm

so no video for the staff inauguration?

January 22, 2013 at 9:59 pm
  26. 122 yardarm756
    January 22, 2013 at 10:05 pm
  27. 125 Dakota
    January 22, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Evening y’all!

I have emerged from the whirlwind of yesterday. What a wonderful day! How blessed we are to have this amazing man as our president…his fabulous wife and beautiful children. VP Joe, Dr. Biden and their family…it makes me very emotional.

Our Martin Luther King event was success. It was hubby’s introduction to the community as president of our branch of the NAACP and he did a great job. It was hectic day but really great. The event was at noon and everyone that came in was asking “did you see the inauguration?”
    Well, I did see the first part, the swearing in and it’s TiVo’ed, but I didn’t get the parade or any of the balls where all the entertainers performed…don’t ask!!! Can any one of you lovely people direct me to where I can see all of the events? Thank y’all so much.

28. 128 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    January 22, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Lord Jesus help me! Just got into it with a talk show host. “Why doesn’t Michelle use black designers? Why doesn’t she dress “Black”? Why don’t they have black art in the White House? etc, etc, etc”

1. Let him have it.
    2. Suggested he use Google – did point him to a Grio article on art and Mrs-O.org for fashion — told him to do some research before throwing shade.
    3. Then this fool had the nerve to ask me if I really thought their look, manner of speaking/acting truly depicted a typical African-American family. He felt they talked/acted more “white” than “black.” I was too through!

I let him have it, suggested as he has a news wrap up show he’d do better discussing items of the President’s agenda; Voter suppression in PA; PA Governor privatizing the lottery through a closed process (he’s also looking to sell off other state assets). I am so pissed that I’m sure my BP is through the roof. I’m calling the station owner in the am.

• 129 COS
      January 22, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Michelle said that people use to ask her this same “talk white” crap when she was growing up. As an AA, my only answer to this fool is, Who is the First Lady of the United States?

• 137 Dudette
      January 22, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Please name that ignorant fool and his station.

• 144 Dudette
      January 22, 2013 at 11:22 pm

In case anyone’s wondering: Some of the African American designers that FLOTUS has worn are Tracy Reese, Byron Lars, Stephen Burrows and Kevan Hall. These are just the ones that come to mind without hunting. It won’t be enough. It never is for some people.

• 146 majiir
      January 23, 2013 at 1:00 am

Thanks, Alcee, some of these folks are still perpetrating stereotypes of blacks. There is no talking black, acting black, dressing black, etc. We are all individuals with different styles of talking, walking, acting, dressing, etc. I’ve been black for 60 years now, and I still don’t know what it is to be a stereotypical black. People have accused me and my daughter of “speaking white,” whatever the hell that means. I raised her like my parents raised me–speaking and writing good Standard English, dressing the way we want to dress, listening to the music we want to listen to, buying the artwork we want to buy, etc. I don’t like rap, I prefer opera and I love ballet and classical music, what would this tool think about this? Personally, I don’t care what he thinks. I, like MO, pay my own way and don’t need anyone else to tell me what to do or think or how to act. MO and PBO are like the black folks I deal with everyday. Sorry, talk show host dude, but we don’t stand around playing the dozens and speaking street slang.There’s nothing unusual about the first couple, except to someone like the dude you were talking to who is so nosy and authoritarian-minded that he can’t let people be who they are.

• 147 CEB
        January 23, 2013 at 6:08 am

I totally co-sign to this. When ignorant people have said I am “acting white” I retort that I speak like an educated person and so should they. There are some in the AA community who have a problem that Michelle does not wear her hair in a ‘Fro. Someone even emailed me a doctored photo of her with a natural. I knew what the original photo looked like and I told them that theirs was photo shopped and told them where to go to see the original. Really, let Michelle be Michelle. I am so glad that she and PBO do their own thing.

• 148 nabsentia23
          January 23, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I wear my hair in a ‘fro, too, but that’s my choice The decision to go natural should be up to each individual black woman because it’s not an easy choice to make. It can be as much a psychological issue as well as a fashion one. If Michelle wants to keep wearing perms; she should. At least nowadays, we have a choice. I remember, back in the day, when it was almost mandatory that once a black girl became a certain age, she would start getting perms and even before that, we had to deal with the hot comb. There’s no need to go into the exact opposite direction and demand every black woman wear a ‘fro.

• 149 nabsentia23
        January 23, 2013 at 2:42 pm

It’s hurts more because it’s our own people. It’s clear that some of us have internalized the racism directly against us. So much so than when we do educate ourselves and better our lives, we’re seen as acting “white.” It’s sad and pathetic.

Besides, African Americans are diverse. We share common cultural traits, but at the same time, we are unique individuals. It pisses me off to no end when education, a major tool for escaping poverty, is seen as a “white” thing.

• 150 nabsentia23
      January 23, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Yep, all of this BS sounds very familiar.

I wonder why this host thought the Obamas talked/acted more “white” than “black?” Maybe it’s because being educated, intelligent, and well-manner is suppose to be a “white” thing?

I’m reminded of comments made by Chris Rock defending Colin Powell for being “so articulate for a black person.” Rock thought it strange that anyone would expect Powell to be anything but articulate given his background and his job at the time. Rock said, “Do you expect him to say something like, “Well, I’s gonna drop me a bomb, ta day, y’all?”

I’m reminded of comments made towards me by other blacks saying the same thing. It hurts so bad when your own people buy into these ridiculous stereotypes. Maybe they should look back and see that so many who contributed to our struggled were indeed articulate and well-educated. Even, Malcolm X fits this category (despite him not going to college). So, does Frederick Douglass. Were these dudes acting “white” when they wrote and spoke so articulately and eloquently despite a lack of formal education?

Luckily, though, this doesn’t happen that much to me, but when it did, it was painful. So, it’s no surprise that the Obamas may experience the same thing.

29. 151 JER
    January 22, 2013 at 10:17 pm

President Barack Obama is thanking White House aides and his re-election campaign staffers at the final celebration of his inauguration.

Obama told thousands of guests at his staff ball Tuesday night that they represent … his “deepest hopes for America.” He said he knows the nation’s future is in good hands.

First lady Michelle Obama, wearing a silver and black ensemble … Proceeds will support a memorial fund for Alex Okrent, a campaign worker who collapsed and died at Obama’s campaign headquarters in July.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/01/22/4025905/obama-to-fete-staffers-at-final.html#storylink=cpy

30. 153 daisydem
    January 22, 2013 at 10:21 pm

A proper review of the inaugural events ??? … this weekend ???? You deign to apologize … oh my God .. you have given us so much and you say there is more to come … the best photos, or more photos? How will we stand it? If you are going to top your own self and what you have given us over this past weekend and today – then we better stock up on tissue, buy more wine and cancel any other appointments. Thank you, thank you, thank you. This blog is over the top! Now, I will scroll back up and see what the reaction to your last comments were from the others!

• 154 theo67
      January 23, 2013 at 12:34 am

Daisy Dem – you’ve said it all.

• 155 nathkatun7
      January 23, 2013 at 1:04 am

It never fails! I can always rely on my fellow members of TOD family to express so well everything I feel. Thank you Daisydem for expressing so well my appreciation of Ms. Chipsticks for this great blog and for her non-stop coverage of President Obama’s second inaugural! TOD’s breadth and depth of coverage, including some of the most amazing pics, is simply breathtaking.

31. 156 Dudette
    January 22, 2013 at 10:23 pm

I’m stunned at the depths of evil that the GOP will go to… stunned!

• 157 COS
      January 22, 2013 at 10:46 pm

This is beyond evil. There is no word in the dictionary for this. This is so heartless.

• 158 amk for obama
      January 22, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Well, his state’s stupid voters chose him twice, didn’t they ? Now time to ‘pay’ for their own stupidity.

January 22, 2013 at 11:38 pm

This is unbelievable. My mother had health insurance and Medicare, luckily. I had to call in Hospice, and I know I could NEVER have gotten through my mother’s last few days without them. Heartless Republicans really need to get away from public office, because they have NO desire to serve the actual public.

• 160 susanne
      January 22, 2013 at 11:50 pm

he’s got some ugly karma waiting for him.

• 161 nathkatun7
      January 23, 2013 at 1:11 am

And the Gov. considers himself a Christian! I am sorry to say, but Republican leaders, like Jindal, are “evil.”

32. 162 Dudette
    January 22, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Just in time for her fight with Uncle Joey: Clinton retires debt from 2008 campaign

• January 22, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Dudette, she told us almost exactly a year ago that she was done with politics and not only do I believe her, I think she will be very, very supportive of VP Biden if he decides to run (which, over the past few days is increasingly looking very likely :) ). And, you know how supportive PBO will be of VP Biden.

#FORWARD

• 164 Dudette
        January 22, 2013 at 10:40 pm

I believed her when she said she wasn’t running for anything too.
        For some reason, a bunch of people don’t believe what she said was definitive enough answer. So if she’s really hedging her bets and really does wanna run, that’s her perogative.

She’d make a fine President if that were to happen, but if she’s competing against with the VP for the nomination, I’m Ridin’ with Biden.

• 165 Pamela
          January 22, 2013 at 10:50 pm

With you both on this one. I stayed on that photo of HRC greeting PBO at the start of the Inauguration yesterday. They way they were reaching to hug each other was so special, so intimate really, incredible camera work. She can do some masterful work for women going forward from here, but I believe she needs a bit of rest first. She has done exemplary work as SOS, making up for all the crap laid down by the former woman, who will go unnamed by me.

• 167 nathkatun7
        January 23, 2013 at 1:22 am

You are probably right, Bob, that Hillary will not run in 2016. If, however, both SoS Clinton and VP Joe Biden decide to run, my number one choice will be Joe Biden.

• 168 dotster3
      January 22, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Both Biden and Clinton will be too old. Need someone 20 years younger than they will be. It takes a lot of stamina for that job, and no matter how fit you are for a 70 something, nuh uh——–you don’t have the same energy as a 50 year old, the same anything. And that job is the most demanding, stressful job in the world. And even tho Joe was bopping all over Pa. Ave. yesterday—–and Hillary has been on a hectic world travel schedule—–(and ended up in the hospital)—–4 more years at this age puts them out of the running, in my opinion. Need someone Obama’s age.

January 22, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Martin O’Malley just turned 50, so he will be young enough 4 -8 years from now if he wants the job. And I think he’ll definitely continue PBO’s agenda.

• 170 Dudette
        January 23, 2013 at 12:51 am

I like O’Malley too, but if a 70-something with wisdom and a political philosophy that fits mine felt vibrant enough to handle the demands of that job (they have to have regular medical exams, ya know), I wouldn’t discriminate against them because of their age. Sure, they need to be healthy and energetic, but I don’t need to see the person doing pushups in order for them to lead the country. By your standard, the country might have been deprived of FDR’s great service, because he had polio and was confined to a wheel chair.

It’s the management skills, intellect, temperament, spirit and vision that makes the leader.

• 171 nathkatun7
        January 23, 2013 at 1:56 am

“….and no matter how fit you are for a 70 something, nuh uh——–you don’t have the same energy as a 50 year old….”

I respectfully disagree with you when it comes to mental, and not just physical, energy! I personally prefer a wise, passionate, knowledgeable, and mentally alert “70 something” person over a mentally lazy, uninspired “50 year old” person. I am sorry to say this, dotster, but I think your comment promotes discrimination that is exclusively based on age. If your are truly a supporter of President Obama, who else would be in a better position to carry out the President’s agenda other than the VP who has been with him every step of the way?

For me, VP Joe Biden, if he decides to run, is my NUMBER ONE choice for 2016! His age will not bother me, unless, of course, doctors declare him to be unfit to be President. I confess that I may be biased because I am in Joe Biden’s age group and I already resent the insinuations that I am too old to think or act wisely.

• January 23, 2013 at 2:10 am

Bravo, nath. Perfectly stated.

#FORWARD

• 173 nathkatun7
            January 23, 2013 at 4:13 am

Thank you Bob! Any one who has observed VP Joe Biden knows fully well that he is passionate, smart, and extremely knowledgeable on all issues, both foreign and domestic. Besides, his energy and enthusiasm, on display during the campaign and during the inaugural yesterday, convinces me that Joe Biden still has so much to give to this country. I also love the fact that Joe Biden is very secure about who he is. He relates so well to regular people like me. He is not afraid to say what’s on his mind, but, at the same time, he never goes out of the way to personally humiliate his opponents. As he said in that clip you posted on a previous thread, many members of Congress, including his opponents, trust him.

If it was okay to elect Ronald Reagan, who was in the 70′s, then why not Joe Biden? The fact of the matter is that Joe Biden will bring to the presidency unparalleled experience, down to earth common sense, and tremendous love for the people; especially regular hard-working people who remind him of his parents.

• 175 99ts
        January 23, 2013 at 2:15 am

I agree dotster and not because they wouldn’t be good Presidents – but the fitness and energy needed are mind boggling. Also, I cannot believe Hillary would open her family to the attacks they received non stop in the 1990s – and they would definitely come.

VP Biden seems to very much enjoy his current job – but it comes with 1/10th of the stress and commitment needed for the number 1 job.

The only way an older person can ever do this job is by not doing it – letting their staff make all the decisions – being as the gop wants – someone to sign the new laws.

• January 23, 2013 at 2:38 am

“The only way an older person can ever do this job is by not doing it”

That, simply, is not true. I have colleagues in their 80s who are exceptional decision makers and have the capacity for exceptional performance – because they have learned how to laser focus on critical issues.

The single most important skill for a President is knowing how to structure a team so that the ONLY decisions that she/he must make are the ones no one else should make.

The only reason I began being interested in Barack Hussein Obama is because he evidenced wisdom on a scale 2 or 3 decades younger than I have typically experienced in anyone.

Over a period of many years observing him closely it is that exceptional depth of wisdom and plus his empathy that distinguish him. The thought of him at 70 or 75 or 80 campaigning for President – I’d fight to amend the Constitution to make it possible.

#FORWARD

• 177 99ts
            January 23, 2013 at 3:52 am

I would never argue with your knowledge Bob – but I believe the job of President is very different to any other job in the world – I have also seen may folks in their 80s perform exceptionally well – but I don’t believe they could do the job of President of the United States without serious amounts of assistance from many other people.

• 178 nathkatun7
              January 23, 2013 at 5:22 am

” I don’t believe they could do the job of President of the United States without serious amounts of assistance from many other people.”

Sorry, 99ts, but this is not exclusively unique to people in their 70s! As far as I know, no presidents, including those younger than 70′s, “could do the job of President of the United States without serious amounts of assistance from many other people.” PERIOD!

As President Obama has repeatedly said, it’s only the very hard decisions, which people assisting him could not resolve, that ultimately end up in his lap. So, this notion that a perfectly healthy 70-year old person is incapable of making difficult decision is ludicrous. I am sorry, but I would rather have an older Joe Biden as President instead of the younger Paul Ryan, or Marco Rubio.

While I understand the reality that age eventually diminishes one’s physical ability, I also know people in their 70′s who are not only mentally fit but also physically fit than some people in their 50′s. This is why I reject the idea of judging VP Biden, and SoS Hilary Clinton, simply on the basis of their ages. If VP Biden and SoS Hillary Clinton, decide to run in 2016, they should be judged on the basis of their ability and performance in office and not just on the basis of their age. Otherwise, what you young people are doing is discriminating against very competent and still very active people simply on the basis of age.

For me, I will, unequivocally, support VP Joe Biden in 2016 should he decide to run for President. I will do so based on the following objective factors:

1. His exceptional job performance as the Vice-President; but, even more importantly, the role he has played as a member of the Obama team that formulated Obama policies. This convinces me that he will be passionately in favor of implementing those policies already enacted in law as well as fighting hard to enact the others not already part of the law.

2. His more than three decades of experience in Congress which has earned him trust and respect. I know of no one in the country who has such vast experience in both Foreign and Domestic policies as VP Joe Biden.

3. His fearlessness in expressing his views, regardless of political consequences, on crucial issues facing the country

4. Finally his honesty and enthusiasm that enables him to connect so well with regular people like me; as well as his honest and exuberant support of President Obama.

I repeat, Joe Biden is my man in 2016. He has been unequivocally loyal to President Obama even when he might have disagreed him on tactics. The only thing that will change my mind is if VP Joe Biden decides not to seek the presidency.

• January 23, 2013 at 5:30 am

At this stage I’m on the Biden Train. His steadfast, loyalty and empathy with the working, middle-class and experience is enormous and I don’t look at his age as a disadvantage.

He will be unbeatable if PBO endorses him. I trust him completely to caretake and solidify all the good country building policies from PBOs terms.

33. 180 Dudette
    January 22, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Ruh-roh! Ex-Bachmann aide alleges improper payments in Iowa
    This is what happens when you treat your staffers like dog poo and don’t pay them.

Jan 18
    The Associated Press

Minnesota Republican Rep. Michele Bachmann made improper payments to an Iowa state senator who was the state chairman of her failed 2012 presidential campaign, a former campaign aide said in a complaint filed Friday with the Federal Election Commission.

In his letter to the FEC, Peter Waldron said Bachmann for President paid state Sen. Kent Sorenson $7,500 a month, including through a PAC associated with the congresswoman. Sorenson, a Republican from Milo, quit Bachmann’s campaign on the eve of the Jan. 3 Iowa caucuses and gave his support for the GOP presidential nomination to former Texas Rep. Ron Paul.

Waldron’s letter alleges the campaign also violated other FEC rules. The letter says MichelePAC paid C&M Strategies Inc. – a Colorado-based PAC accused of paying Sorenson – while it was operated by the same person who worked as the campaign’s national political director.

Waldron also said unpaid staffers and contractors were required to sign a non-disclosure agreement prohibiting interviews with attorneys or law enforcement before checking with the campaign… [more in the article]

34. 181 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    January 22, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Can’t believe LOD is showing NRA speech LIVE. *Click*

January 22, 2013 at 10:51 pm

While I could never listen to that lunatic poster child for an insane asylum, LaPierre, LOD has been quite aggressive in calling out the NRA and their shills. He may not get the normal viewers, the ones that can’t stomach this lying sack of shit and his 2nd Amendment fantasies…..but LOD needs to listen and inform his viewers if he wants to call them out. You really have to wonder…if you REALLY believed in what you said, why would you have a news conference at 10:30PM?? Those fat old white guys are drunk or passed out by now. LOD could be the ONLY one watching his sorry, pathetic ass on the idiot box! Wouldn’t THAT be funny!

• 187 Alycee (@jazziz2)
      January 22, 2013 at 11:14 pm

I believe he was speaking at a west coast event. You’re right, LOD has done a great job calling them out. My objection is the airtime for a live speech. Record it, review it, show clips tomorrow with commentary; make full vid available on line. Just don’t give unfiltered airtime to the cray-cray.

January 22, 2013 at 11:29 pm

I thought that, too, Alycee, totally – until we got to the point where Lawrence interrupted the devil mid-sentence and said “That’s enough of that.” To me, that made his coverage (which I had originally muted, but decided maybe I should listen to – yuck) worth it. But, again, understand your point big time.

36. January 22, 2013 at 10:51 pm
  37. January 22, 2013 at 10:58 pm
  38. January 22, 2013 at 10:59 pm
  39. January 22, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Since I’m in a Monty Python mood, and in honor of all the spam Chips has to deal with (and the fact that Spam is a mainstay of her diet):

40. January 22, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Where’s Sam UK? I’d love to ask him his opinion of little Davey Cameron’s promise that if the Tories are re-elected he’ll put UK membership in the EU for an up-or-down plebiscite.

41. January 22, 2013 at 11:19 pm

A little Blue Eyes. Was just singing this to the wifey.

42. January 22, 2013 at 11:27 pm

The Labour leader’s remarks, from Ha’aretz:

“I will do everything in my power − in fact, I have already got the wheels in motion − to create a coalition of parties with a shared social and economic agenda, which will also kick-start the peace process,” Yacimovich said. “We have an opportunity here that we cannot miss to liberate the citizens of Israel from the abuse of the Netanyahu government. Since the fate of Israeli society is hanging in the balance, we must act quickly, discretely and seriously.”

January 22, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Serena Williams 6-3 5-7 3-3 Sloane Stephens – A nail biter from down under

January 22, 2013 at 11:31 pm

God bless Randi Rhodes because she has more patience with stupid than I EVER would have! You have to hear this. Have to! THIS is the dumbing down of America in action. She tried.

• 222 sabreen60
      January 22, 2013 at 11:58 pm

:D I can’t believe I subjected myself to that. My ears are bleeding.

• 223 nathkatun7
        January 23, 2013 at 2:47 am

Me too Sabreen60! At the same time, I am very grateful to Randi Rhodes for her persistent patience in trying to expose the ignorance of the smug caller. My hope is that the utter ignorance of the caller, about Executive Orders, federal spending, and debt ceiling, prompted some other confused people to make an effort check out the facts themselves instead of relying on propaganda. Sadly, I doubt that that would happen when it comes to people who are as thoroughly brainwashed as the caller.

• 224 Dudette
      January 23, 2013 at 12:17 am

Randi is the queen of all radio, IMHO. I’ve listened to her off and on since Air America was the hot ticket. This call is typical Randi. Every now and then she’ll blast a hole in some fool, who’s rude to her, but most of the time, her intention is to debate and educate. She works from fact and knows what the hell she’s talking about. The homework section on her blog is essential. Read that and then come on over here to TOD and you’re exponentially more informed than the paid newstainers and “anal-ysts”. Really.

She’s wonderful. I wish some network would put her show on TV.

January 22, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Night all:)

46. January 22, 2013 at 11:43 pm

And a star is born! Sloane Stephens!!!

47. 233 Dudette
    January 22, 2013 at 11:49 pm
    January 22, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Dratz. Serena loses 2-1.

January 23, 2013 at 1:39 am

Well, just for the record, let it be known that I am…

FIRST!

after 1:30am.
    I only signed in to say ‘Hi everyone, I’m still away from home, and staying out of trouble, whatever Amk, or CC, or anyone may say otherwise. So there!’

Going to bed to grab some shut eye as soon as I’m done this note.

• January 23, 2013 at 2:14 am

:D :D :D :D :D

You are so much fun, VC!!! Rest well …

• 246 nathkatun7
      January 23, 2013 at 3:21 am

I know where you’re coming from, VC! According to your logic, and the timezones, I am also the first to post a comment after: 3 AM (EST) , 12 AM (PST).

• 248 amk for obama
      January 23, 2013 at 5:49 am

staying out of trouble

Sorry, can’t won’t do.

We need pic proof. I bet the police are in hot pursuit and you’re just legging it outta DC.

January 23, 2013 at 8:43 am

What’sthematterwithyou, Andrew Michael K? You well know from your own shenanigans that you are supposed to whisper prized info like this! If you draw law enforcement’s attention to my new location with your reference I’m going to set the ‘boss’ on you, or have the boss send one of her goons after you. YOU already know she rarely misses.
        .Did wifey (poor soul :roll: Can’t think what possessed her! Must have spent the last 25yrs trying to fix you) enjoy her present?

• 250 amk for obama
          January 23, 2013 at 9:12 am

The D(readful) Day is tomorrow. She has left for home today still believing that I am very busy with “work” and I have totally forgotten about tomorrow. Catching train tonight in another 4 hours. I’ll hit her bright & early in the morning when she is all bleary eyed and thus at her weakest moment.

January 23, 2013 at 9:23 am

(Some) Min! Plotting and planning – can’t just be above board. smh Think of all the joy she has missed from knowing ahead that you hadn’t forgotten! Anyways, travel safely and have a wonderful time of celebration with family and friends!

• 252 amk for obama
              January 23, 2013 at 9:27 am

What, I thought wimmin loved surprises ?

I feel like PBO now. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. :)

Thanks for wishes. Will have a blast tomorrow. Son has to miss it due to semester exams. Well, tough.

January 23, 2013 at 9:41 am

Rats on son’s absence! Though (from my wimmin perspective), that’s a perfect REASON for you to throw another party on his return (with ANOTHER GIFT, of course). You wouldn’t want the junior man of the family to feel left out of this occasion; no doubt he would want to honour you both in style.

50. 257 Dudette
    January 23, 2013 at 2:33 am
  51. 258 Dudette
    January 23, 2013 at 2:37 am
  52. 259 Dudette
    January 23, 2013 at 2:43 am
  53. 260 Dudette
    January 23, 2013 at 2:45 am
  54. 261 Dudette
    January 23, 2013 at 2:51 am
  55. 262 Dudette
    January 23, 2013 at 2:59 am
  56. January 23, 2013 at 5:19 am

Finally getting around to catching up on all the days events. So happy to have you back amk. My tweet line was empty without you. Copy cat is the sincerest form of flattery or something like that.
    thanks again to Chips for such spectacular coverage of the inauguration.

January 23, 2013 at 6:22 am

Coalition talks are set to begin in Israel after the results of the general election showed right-wing and centre-left blocs tied on 60 seats each.

President Shimon Peres is expected to ask Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to attempt to form a new government.

His Likud-Beitenu alliance lost a quarter of its seats in parliament, but remains the largest grouping with 31.

He has offered to work with the newly-formed Yesh Atid party, which shocked observers by coming second with 19.

However, its leader, popular former TV presenter Yair Lapid, has demanded reform of a law under which ultra-Orthodox Jewish seminary students can defer their military service. Religious parties in the current governing coalition are strongly opposed to any changes.

Mr Lapid has also said he would only join a government that was committed to revive the peace process with the Palestinians, which has stalled since Mr Netanyahu took office.

Hopefully, the left and the center can get their acts together and make sure that nut n yahoo does not a second consecutive term.

January 23, 2013 at 6:24 am

A tipple before bedtime may get you off to sleep faster but it can disrupt your night’s slumber, say researchers who have reviewed the evidence.

The London Sleep Centre team says studies show alcohol upsets our normal sleep cycles.

While it cuts the time it takes to first nod off and sends us into a deep sleep, it also robs us of one of our most satisfying types of sleep, where dreams occur.

Used too often, it can cause insomnia.

Many advocate a nightcap – nursing homes and hospital wards have even been known to serve alcohol – but Dr Irshaad Ebrahim and his team advise against it.

:( :( :(

59. January 23, 2013 at 6:59 am

Chief Justice Sonia Sotomayor’s 3-part interview with Jon Stewart – I know…but she is well worth watching

January 23, 2013 at 7:33 am

Phew. Fedex reaches semis down under after defeating Jo Tsonga in a 5 set thriller. Go Fedex.

61. 277 Tanya R White-Anderson
    January 23, 2013 at 7:55 am

I was blessed to see the President and First Lady but it would be an honor to meet them. I hope my wish be granted one day!

Tanyai

62. 278 Tanya R White-Anderson
    January 23, 2013 at 7:57 am

I was blessed to see the President and First Lady as an volunteer at the inauguration Commander In Chief Ball, but it would be an honor to meet them. I hope my wish be granted one day!

Tanya

63. January 23, 2013 at 8:10 am

When I turned on the TV, Joe S. was going on and on about the filibuster and saying “Let the Senate D’s vote DOWN the President’s agenda.” He went on and on about that……the conserva Dems. Does he not fully understand how it works? Is he that stupid? That they can give 5 votes and VPB can be the 51st. Is he really that stupid? Oh yeah, guess so.

January 23, 2013 at 9:02 am