Jan

“Most singular piece of partisan hackery… since Scalia picked president”

Charles Pierce: The next time I hear some lefty mooing about the president’s having let down the side on something or another, it better be about something of substance, like the Keystone XL pipeline, or I’m going to boot said lefty’s hindquarters in the general direction of the federal appeals court of the District Of Columbia, which today laid down the most singular piece of partisan hackery to come out of a court since Antonin Scalia picked the previous president.

…. This, children, is what you get when you operate politically under the theory that They’re All The Same. You get 20 or 30 years of primarily Republican judges acting primarily as Republicans, drawn from the legal chop-shops in the conservative movement bubble, and doing their partisan duty like performing seals.

David Sentelle would be the one in the center ring with the ball on his nose ….  This is a guy who thinks the NLRB itself is constitutionally illegitimate….

…. Three decades of this, and what you get are decisions like the one that was handed down today. Tell me again how it never mattered.

Full post here

Pierce at his very best, make sure you click the link.

On a more joyous note:

Photo of the day: The President runs with new WH Chief of Staff Denis McDonough’s kids on the White House colonnade (Pete Souza)

A short clip from 60 Minutes:

Happy Australia Day to 99ts and all our O(z)bots!

267 Responses to ““Most singular piece of partisan hackery… since Scalia picked president””

1. 7 carolmaewy
    January 25, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Congrats mary1

2. 8 lamh36
    January 25, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Good evening guys.
    my computer is busted so I’m using my Kindle and IPad for the internet

I need to get a new computer. I want to buy a Mac book but they are usually pretty expensive. are the refurbished ones any good?

3. 16 Pamela
    January 25, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Let ‘er rip, Charlie! show no mercy…..

4. 20 vitaminlover
    January 25, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Wow! My president can run with his hands in his pockets! He is da’ BOMB!

5. 21 anniebella
    January 25, 2013 at 7:23 pm

He looks just like one of those ” I hate Obama guy”. And he’s a judge. When I heard the decision, I figure it a right wing conservative judges who made that decision.

• 22 0388jojothecat
      January 25, 2013 at 8:45 pm

All I can say is, remember all the federal GOP judges that came down against Obamacare……and who again won that fight? PBO will win this one too….I have all confidence in PBO.

6. January 25, 2013 at 7:26 pm

We’ll see ….

• January 25, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Comment I just posted on TPV:

Honestly, I’ve been pretty agnostic about the filibuster drama. People I respect (of course including you, Deaniac) have come on opposite sides of Reid’s deal. I’m more than willing to see how the “reforms” play out.

But then there’s this, from TPM: “Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is taking credit for defeating filibuster reform and preserving the GOP’s ability to block legislation.”

Now, as detailed on this blog to a fine granularity, Orange Julius went around after the debt ceiling deal of 2011 bragging about how he’d snookered Obama. This whole month showed that braggadocio was nothing but hot air. Turtle could be doing the same thing.

But that quote does not make me happy. And yes, the theory is that eventually the Dems will be in the minority and will need the filibuster to prevent Armageddon. But if this iteration of the GOP isn’t blown into oblivion, a takeover by them WOULD be Armageddon. They’ll have no compunction against using the nuclear option on the Dems. And even if they don’t pull the trigger, Dems have never been much to filibuster.

Optimist that I am, I’m hopeful. But I’m far from happy. You’d better have some aces up your sleeve, Harry.

• January 25, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Decided yesterday to trust and wait for Mitch or one of the other insurrectionists to misbehave and then observe what Senator Reid’s response would be. Didn’t have to wait even 24h.

Now, do we wait until 2015 or will 51 Ds pull trigger?

• January 25, 2013 at 10:09 pm

I’m with you LL.

The only thing that matters from now until 2015 is the 113th Congress. The 114th Congress can require full nudity in the chamber if they fucking want.

The Dems will eventually fly to Mars. I’m so tired of that stupid argument.

• 32 nathkatun7
        January 25, 2013 at 11:08 pm

LL, I’ve learned to take Republican gloating with a grain of salt. Remember how John Boehner boasted about getting 98% of what he wanted during the debt ceiling agreement of the Summer of 2011? Now look who is crying about that agreement! McConnell’s sending out a fund raiser claiming credit for defeating filibuster reform may or may not be accurate. The one thing he knows for certain is that his supporters will buy it without any question.

7. 33 anniebella
    January 25, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Look at that picture of POTUS and the kids,this is how POTUS can say that Newtown murder of those 20 kids were the worse day of his presidency. And all the NRA can say about the murder of those 20 kids is let’s sell more guns.

8. January 25, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Ok, I think this weekend will be one of working on the new novel. I need a break from things political.

9. 35 cookemom
    January 25, 2013 at 7:30 pm

How cute, I see this unfold. My interpretation of the colonnade pic:

The older son and PBO are walking together along the colonnade discussing the world’s events, both with hands in pockets . The daughter is just strolling along a few feet ahead wishing that Sasha was home from school. The little guy, deciding that the older son has had enough time with PBO, runs up behind them and says, ‘beat you’ then takes off flying.

Now every adult knows that when a kid challenges you to run, or calls you on a play telephone, you must answer the call. The daughter seeing an opportunity to have fun, joins in. Older son is thoroughly frustrated because, wouldn’t you know it…. once again, younger brother makes an attention grabbing maneuver. Older brother, “Hey, no fair! He was talking to meeeee!!!

• 36 Pamela
      January 25, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Sounds spot on, cm, a fine judge you would be on one of these so-called benches! Better than many, I’ll warrant, and more just! Happy Australia Day to all our Aussie friends!

• 37 Pamela
        January 25, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Hmmmmm, now, that reminds me of something… What could it be? My foot is twitching, silly foot, stop twitching and let me think….. Hmmmmm….

• 38 99ts
        January 25, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Thanks Pamela for the Oz wishes – happy Australia day to your daughter – I hope where she is has more sun and less rain than where I am.

• January 25, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Happy Australia Day 99ts!!!

• 40 Pamela
            January 25, 2013 at 7:49 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• 41 99ts
              January 25, 2013 at 8:46 pm

He’s coming to my town in 2014! The meetings are all close to where my daughter lives (hope she doesn’t move) so we might be able to get a pass to get nearby – going to be a big lockdown in town for security

Thanks for the great memory chips

• 42 99ts
                January 25, 2013 at 8:52 pm

The “all the way” is a throwback in our modern history related to a Prime Minister who said “All the way with LBJ” when the Vietnam war was escalating. It turned out to be not such a good idea – and eventually caused the loss of government by our conservative party (which was a good thing).

• 43 isonprize
            January 25, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Hey Chica or any TODers,

Do you remember the significance of the red flowers in the wall in the “down under” Australia video? If so, can you remind me again please??

It is so striking and I want to the right connection. Thanks much!! :smile:

• January 25, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Will check for you now isonprize, but I think it was a war memorial??

• January 25, 2013 at 9:02 pm

President Barack Obama tours the Australian War Memorial with Australian Governor-General Quentin Bryce, War Memorial Chairman Peter Cosgrove, and Prime Minister Julia Gillard in Canberra, Australia, Nov.17, 2011. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

The Flanders poppy has long been a part of Remembrance Day, the ritual that marks the Armistice of 11 November 1918, and is also increasingly being used as part of ANZAC Day observances. During the First World War, red poppies were among the first plants to spring up in the devastated battlefields of northern France and Belgium. ….

Poppies adorn the panels of the Memorial’s Roll of Honour, placed beside names as a small personal tribute to the memory of a particular person, or to any of the thousands of individuals commemorated there. This practice began at the interment of the Unknown Australian Soldier on 11 November 1993. As people waited to lay a single flower by his tomb in the Hall of Memory, they had to queue along the cloisters, beside the Roll of Honour. By the end of the day, hundreds of RSL poppies had been pushed into the cracks between the panels bearing the names of the fallen.

• 46 carolmaewy
                January 25, 2013 at 10:27 pm

As a little trivia, I used to sell paper poppies on a certain summer day. Sorry, only remember I wasn’t in school and it was usually warm. We just went door to door to raise money for American Legion Auxiliary.

• 48 Pamela
          January 25, 2013 at 7:46 pm

I think it is raining in her neck of the woods, but also I know she is working. So, will be indoors until later on… Lots of finishing touches on her http://www.seaflavour.com.au. All is going well, almost to capacity, with chefs still getting on board! I so wish I could be there next weekend…. :(

January 25, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Oh, wow, cookemom, with five grandkids and one great grandson (not that I haven’t already mentioned the latter toddler a million times), your “when a kid … calls you on a play telephone, you must answer the call” really hit home! I’ve taken 22 years of those calls, by now. To Be Continued (luckily).

• January 25, 2013 at 8:06 pm

That’s pretty much the way I saw it, too, except in my version, POTUS is the one who challenges the younger one to a run.

10. 51 99ts
    January 25, 2013 at 7:37 pm

I was only the 2nd last poster on the last thread – shucks – I even lost the race for last place

Not to link to Huff – but I was reading about Boehner saying “Ending Abortion is the number one priority for the GOP” – seems like their number one priority didn’t work during the first term – and this one is also doomed – so 4 more years of nothing for the GOP.

What world do they live in – how lucky is this world to have President Obama – industry and the markets are humming – employment is rising – and President Obama knows the priorities of the American people – which have nothing to do with legislating against > 50% of the population – women.

11. 52 cookemom
    January 25, 2013 at 7:38 pm

PBO puts VP Joe in charge of gun control initiative and let’s him loose on the fiscal cliff negotiations. He must be endorsing him for 2016. Oh wait….PBO makes a joint appearance on 60 Minutes with SOSH, is he endorsing her for 2016? Can you imagine what post-2014 midterm election campaign coverage will be?

I should start drinking now.

• 53 lisalovesobama
      January 25, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Already started without you. Saw that and that ass Ed Fuckwit Rendell and CLICK!!!!!! :roll:

• 54 cookemom
        January 25, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Oh noes!!! Not the click!! Please, never the click!!!

• 55 lisalovesobama
          January 25, 2013 at 7:47 pm

It was either that or throw my wine glass at the TV and honey, that Barefoot Moscato is better served warming my belly and making me tipsy. ;)

• 56 HZ
            January 25, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Lisa, you always make me feel better when I am little under the pain-maker, my gut, however you gave me some of my favorite meds.,Laughter. ((((( Love you, Lisa)))))) That Barefoot Moscato is a good light one to give a little sweet buzz. Enjoy. HZ

January 25, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Ed Rendell can’t even really “appear” on these shows … he’s calling it in … in fact, every time the camera’s on him, he’s looking down and texting. If he texts … maybe he’s contemplating his navel … well, never mind about that. Cannot stand him!

• 61 99ts
      January 25, 2013 at 7:44 pm

hello cookemom – not sure what I like the most – your political analysis or your humor – maybe neither – it’s that amazing wake up happy attitude – and the solution to the next campaign – white wine or gin & tonic?

I cannot believe how fast the past 4 years went – wish I could slow down the next four.

January 25, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I’d vote for all of it from cookemom! Especially since I’ve already started on the white wine, so I’m ready to stop, look, listen, drop, and roll, if that’s the proper sequence.

• 65 cookemom
        January 25, 2013 at 7:59 pm

How’d you guess I was a gin girl? I take mine with cranberry juice and a twist of lime. I studied politics and got my humor at an early age as a very attentive student at the well known and widely attended institution of higher learning………………….Ding Dong School

Came on the TV every morning, yes it did.

12. January 25, 2013 at 7:40 pm
  13. January 25, 2013 at 7:45 pm

McDonough’s little boy looks exactly like him!

January 25, 2013 at 7:48 pm

I see that Ezra Klein will be hosting tonight’s Last Word. *CLICK*

15. January 25, 2013 at 8:03 pm
  16. January 25, 2013 at 8:09 pm
    January 25, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Now the word is that the majority of America wants Obamacare implemented in their state ASAP.

January 25, 2013 at 8:14 pm

So the appointments are null & void or does the admin says FU and appeals?

19. January 25, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Yes, this is real.

20. January 25, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Only thing this guy is missing is his hood and robe….my mother and grandmother would call him a klu-klukster by the way he looks and operates.

I love love the videos of PBO in Australia. Thank you Chips for taking us down memory lane on his successful trip. Everybody loves our President except the klu-kluksters and GOP.

21. January 25, 2013 at 8:23 pm

What country do we live in again?

22. January 25, 2013 at 8:28 pm
      January 25, 2013 at 8:55 pm

The Inauguration was wonderful wonderful wonderful wonderful wonderful wonderful wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 140 0388jojothecat
      January 25, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Agreed…this was the best week of 2013. So much inspiration, hope, and promise for a good year. The 2nd inaugrual of PBO, Hillary giving the GOP an FU before leaving administration as one of the most successful SOS’s in history, good news on the economic front….amk did not say good bye….

23. January 25, 2013 at 8:51 pm

“Reid is, in effect, giving the GOP enough rope to hang themselves. With the GOP in control of the House, he knows no progressive-minded policies will pass regardless of what the Senate does. By giving the House a quick-pass, now the House’s bills will be put front and center, and broadcast to the nation, before the critical 2014 midterm elections. If the GOP filibusters measures after they are given what they want, the right to propose amendments, then in the midterms these same senators, such as Mitch McConnell who is up for re-election, will find the fact that they are dishonorable and dishonest put front and center into their campaigns. Keeping the sitting filibuster now becomes a test of moral character.”

• January 25, 2013 at 8:53 pm

More..

“The Republicans in the Senate, failing to pull together a policy or program, have come to use the filibuster as a crutch to compensate for a lack of policy. Reid has now turned it into a poison pill, and is daring them to swallow it. Note the key phrase in his statement, “at this time.” Reid knows that reform will happen. Doing it now would do little good; the House is still in GOP hands and would block any progress in the Senate. But not doing it now gives the Democrats a strong lever with which to flip the House and expand their control in the Senate, in 2014. Reid is playing a long-term strategy, one which looks well-poised to deliver the progressive, liberal, congress which the United States has needed to recover from decades of conservative damage.”

• 147 yardarm756
      January 25, 2013 at 9:30 pm

b.s. The turtle is already fund raising and bragging about hoe he has won!

• 148 4morefor44
        January 25, 2013 at 9:40 pm

boner also fundraised after he “got 98% of what he wanted” with the debt deal he did with president obama, which we all know now was a poison pill created by our president, and boner swallowed. i wouldn’t rule out the analysis mary posted. interesting…

• January 25, 2013 at 9:42 pm

well, boehner did that too and it didn’t work out too well in the end.

• 151 cookemom
        January 25, 2013 at 9:53 pm

He has to, teh RWNJs are talking about primarying him. He’s holding on by his toenails. If he gets primaried from his right and loses, it’s a good possibility for Judd to get the seat. If he wins a primary from his right, he will be so bloodied from that fight, Judd could still pick the seat up. Look for McTurtle to count everything he does as a major victory. He is running scared.

• 152 nathkatun7
        January 25, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Just like Boehner bragged about getting 98% over the deal in 2011 that raised the debt ceiling. Guess who is crying? It’s not the President who supposedly got only 2%!. May be I am getting old and jaded, but I don’t trust anything coming out of the mouths of Republicans like Mitch McConnell.

• 155 carolmaewy
      January 25, 2013 at 10:55 pm

They look great, especially Dr. Biden. :)

• 156 nathkatun7
        January 25, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Our country is really blessed to have two extraordinary families leading it. I am so proud of the Obamas and the Bidens. They are filled with compassion, patriotism, knowledge, common (folk) sense, and wisdom. As far as I am concerned, they are the best team (POTUS & VPOTUS) in my life time. If VP Biden decides to run in 2016, I will be right there supporting him.

24. January 25, 2013 at 9:00 pm

WATCH: “This pound cake was delicious”

25. January 25, 2013 at 9:04 pm

.@senronjohnson embarrasses self, WI again. MT @tcwittes #Kerry rejoinder reveals Johnson didn’t attend key intel briefing on #Benghazi— Democratic Party WI (@WisDems) January 24, 2013

26. January 25, 2013 at 9:06 pm

The pig with lipstick on Honey Boo Boo #SarahPalinsNextGig— CJN (@blondgrrl) January 26, 2013

27. 163 isonprize
    January 25, 2013 at 9:11 pm

The Presidential Inauguration Committee says “Thank you!”

• 164 Alycee (@jazziz2)
      January 25, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Ison is on the ball — was just about to post this; glad I refreshed first. :-)

• 165 isonprize
        January 25, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Great minds think alike! :cool: I just can’t get enough of how this President is engaging the public. THIS IS MASTERFUL!!

WE, the People!!

28. January 25, 2013 at 9:35 pm
  29. 167 yardarm756
    January 25, 2013 at 9:40 pm

http
    ://twitter.com/Yardarm756/status/294997932665602049

January 25, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Lotsa ‘click’s today. Did cookemom get admitted to the hospital with severe stomach ache?

• 175 cookemom
      January 25, 2013 at 10:06 pm

ha, ha, more like the crazy house. gosh, I’m watching the hated dreaded Ezra Klein. I better lay low or someone will ‘click’ me right outta cyberspace.

January 25, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Hello TOD! What are Fridays for? Burgers, Drinks, Friends, and Volleyball. Catch you later. I have to go win a game! :D

32. January 25, 2013 at 10:15 pm

On LOD tonite they are talking abt the ryan 10 yr budget and refered to a wall street journal breakfast meeting That shit head is crazy as
    a loon. this is parf of the meeting (http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2013/01/23/transcript-paul-ryan-part-two/2nd part) both are available on wsj site. Obamacares is very large part but, the other is huge

January 25, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I’m in a funk today…don’t know why, really. I hope this is right:)

• 179 4morefor44
      January 25, 2013 at 10:50 pm

sorry, but that article pisses me off. robert reich says, “All President Obama has done is finally found ways to exploit these inconsistencies.” classic white, privleged liberal racist. he gives no credit to president obama at all. it’s all just luck, he says. his arguments are no different than the haters of affirmative action.

never mind the fact that president obama is the most liberal president in any of our lifetimes, and miles ahead of robert reich’s hero bill clinton. never mind president obama rapidly came out of nowhere to become america’s first black president, and taking down the clinton/dlc machine, and the republican party with their billionaire/citizen united bakers….TWICE!! yep, accorrding to robert reich, this republican implosion is just happening naturally, and president obama is LUCKY to be at the right place at the right time. yep, no mention of president obama’s “rope-a-dope” strategies at all…just pure LUCK for the dark-skinned guy. seriousy, f- this idiot and all his privileged followers. president obama has already accomplished more than these losers ever have (and he’s just getting started), and that what they can’t stand. they don’e care about the causes and the people who are affected by the policies.

if you want to cheer up, read the archives of deaniac and our own liberal librarian to see the genius of president obama, and how our future looks so bright, we gotta wear shades. robert reich and the clintons are BACKWARD. the obama movement is about moving FORWARD!!

• 180 a4alice
      January 25, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Hey DF hope you aren’t feeling so blue-ish by now. It’s a balmy 9 degrees here. Nice and refreshing! :–)

34. 181 4morefor44
    January 25, 2013 at 10:32 pm

speaking of turtle mconnell, it looks like ashley judd already made her first campaign ad…

that’s going to be a fun campaign!

35. January 25, 2013 at 10:38 pm
    January 25, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Here’s a very brief clip of PBO & First Family getting down at that famous WH Inauguration Party :)

// Surrounded by supporters and friends at the inaugural ball, President Barack Obama dances with his wife and two daughters.//

37. January 25, 2013 at 10:48 pm

NBA star for the Denver Nuggets has two mothers and he is damn proud of it!

January 25, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Good works – and good motives, I’m sure – but I can never figure out if Mayor Cory Booker is a politician running to be Superman, or Superman disguised as a politician (excuse the source):

• 195 4morefor44
      January 25, 2013 at 10:59 pm

getting a little weird, i must say. what’s next? not sure about this guy.

January 25, 2013 at 11:06 pm

That story calls him the first Twitter politician. Maybe this is just “new world politics” — you get a tweet about a constituent (or a dog), you take action. Dunno. Weird, mostly because a list of his accomplishments as the Mayor of Newark will now include “Saved a dog once.”

• January 25, 2013 at 11:31 pm

I had to unfollow him on Twitter. Too many daily (actually hourly) affirmations and all that.

January 26, 2013 at 1:07 am

Exactly. As I said, it’s not the good works (more important than his recent effort to get a stranded dog off the cold streets, he saved a neighbor from a burning building last year, and I applaud his courage) or his motives that I’m beginning to wonder about. It’s the fact that he had to bring a lot of credentials to be elected Mayor of the most heavily populated city in New Jersey, which has huge issues that need to be taken care of … and yet he goes out into the streets off leads from Twitter and then comes back and reports on them … and it makes me question whether he thinks he’s the Mayor of a tiny hamlet and he’s the only one at City Hall.

For instance, I’ve seen him on TV and he seems like a qualified politician, but really – not living in Newark – the only three things I know about him are that he once appeared on Morning Joke and said some things that weren’t very political about Pres. Obama (about which I think he issued a video clarification via his YouTube channel); he once saved a neighbor from a burning building, and he once rescued a dog.

Maybe his most trusted adviser and/or public relations lead should set up a little communications training for him, and possibly let his public know what else he’s doing for Newark and/or the State of New Jersey and/or as a model for the country.

But, then again, I live in Illinois and I’m talking about him, and I was born in New Jersey and – God knows – might move back, so maybe he’s onto something.

• January 26, 2013 at 7:58 am

It’s a little mind-boggling to try to understand his MO. He’s on twitter constantly singing his own tune. He’s a mayor but he acts more like just another city worker, responding to fix-it calls all day. His tweets sometimes seem to border on fantasy hero comic book character and often veer into the sanctimonious. He’s certainly doing good deeds but how is he managing the city on the broader strategic and budget management level? A lot of his comments are just too self-serving. And I thoroughly despise his comments about Bain Capitol when it really mattered. So there’s something about him that is not so appealing.

January 25, 2013 at 11:07 pm

He suffers from hero syndrome.

• January 25, 2013 at 11:27 pm

LOL!! I feel the same way.

• 204 carolmaewy
      January 25, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Anybody who saves a dog is okay with me, no matter the motive.

39. 205 a4alice
    January 25, 2013 at 11:04 pm

night TOD Thx again VC for the wonderful recounting of your DC journey earlier today. :-)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

40. January 25, 2013 at 11:13 pm

Well, this was the end of my day: a mentally disturbed man who was using our computers tried to spit at me on the reference desk, said “They said to spit at you”, and walked out.

Luckily he didn’t hit me; you don’t know this about me, but I can have a furious temper. I shudder to think what I would’ve done if he had actually spat at me.

Fortunately it will be rather easy to see who he was, as he was the last person on a particular computer before we closed up. We should be able to ban him. Forget about me; he’s a danger to the other patrons in the library.

So now I’m home, which I’m fortunate to have, with my common law missus and our various animals. Menu for tonight is oven baked sirloin, roasted brussel sprouts, and baked potatoes.

41. January 25, 2013 at 11:22 pm

0_O !!

January 25, 2013 at 11:26 pm

I know it’s only Jan. 25, but I’m hearing a little change in the way Ed Schultz is framing his “caved” remarks, about Harry Reid on filibuster reform. He keeps mentioning that Democrats are not supporting President Obama by not figuring all of this out. Even if it’s only the first week of the second term when his biggest push is the support of Pres. Obama, and who knows how long that’ll last, I’m enjoying that slight change in his tone.

January 25, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Sandra’s still involved!

44. 215 yardarm756
    January 25, 2013 at 11:46 pm
    • 216 yardarm756
      January 25, 2013 at 11:55 pm

And I’m back in the lurking locker!

• 217 99ts
        January 26, 2013 at 12:08 am

That picture was worth coming out of lurkdom – I’ve recently started reading about the civil rights battles – knowing little except the 1960s events – it has been a long hard path that is not yet over. My kindle has been finding lots of cheap/free reads.

And just to add – I truly love my kindle – never thought I would – but to carry around 100s of books and/or find a new one anywhere anytime is just a dream come true.

• 218 yardarm756
          January 26, 2013 at 12:16 am

Thanks 99ts. Pardon but I don’t know the term “kindle” in the sense you use it.Anything I think of would be SWAG(ScienticWildAssGuess)!

• 219 99ts
            January 26, 2013 at 2:31 am

It’s the amazon brand of electronic book yardarm – instead of “real” books as we used to know them. I love reading – but the sheer volume of books in our house was taking over our lives. The “kindle” is a device smaller than an I-pad – used for storing and reading books.

• January 26, 2013 at 12:46 am

I recently read “While the World Watched”, written by one of the girls who survived the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church bombing. It was very powerful. I remember this-I was about 13 at the time- but this gave me more background about what it was like living day today in Birmingham at that time. It is a story of strength and redemption.

January 26, 2013 at 10:38 am

Yardarm756, I can’t forget. Some want us too, they want us to act as if nothing happen, but I can’t and I won’t.

45. 226 carolmaewy
    January 26, 2013 at 12:07 am

Think I’m going to bed. Night everyone. Sleep tight and don’t let the rethugs bite. ;)

• 227 99ts
      January 26, 2013 at 12:10 am

g’nite carol – dream about the little people at the bottom of the garden.

• 228 carolmaewy
        January 26, 2013 at 12:17 am

What a nice thought. G’nite. I do have a sweet thought today. Met the puppy my son and family just got yesterday. He was so sweet when he cuddled in my arms and my son had to pull him away after about twenty minutes. He’s a real cutie. :) my two cuties are big guys.

• 229 99ts
          January 26, 2013 at 2:33 am

When I head for sleep, I love the stories that my mom used to tell me – repeated them to my daughter & have to recall them all for the granddaughter. Nice to spend time with the good thoughts.

46. January 26, 2013 at 12:34 am

The 98 year old Mother Superior from Ireland was dying. The nuns gathered around her bed trying to make her last journey comfortable. They gave her some warm milk to drink but she refused. Then one of the nuns took the glass back to the kitchen. Remembering a bottle of Irish whiskey received as a gift the previous Christmas, she opened and poured a generous amount into the warm milk. Back at Mother Superior’s bed, she held the glass to her lips. Mother drank a little, then a little more and before they knew it, she had drunk the whole glass down to the last drop. “Mother,” the nuns asked with earnest, “please give us some wisdom before you die.”

She raised herself up in bed and with a pious look on her face said, “Don’t sell that cow.

47. January 26, 2013 at 7:17 am
  48. 245 sherijr
    January 26, 2013 at 9:14 am

Good Saturday morning TOD ~ I loved your story VC… you brought me there with you.. and moved me to tears, thank you so much for sharing it with us :)

49. January 26, 2013 at 9:15 am

Onward.

Senators nearing agreement on broad immigration reform proposal
    A working group of senators from both parties is nearing agreement on broad principles for overhauling the nation’s immigration laws, representing the most substantive bipartisan effort toward major legislation in years.

The three Democrats and three Republicans, who have been meeting quietly in recent months, plan to announce a final agreement as early as next Friday.

[snip]

The senators are expected to call for normalizing the status of the nation’s 11 million undocumented immigrants, including allowing those with otherwise clean criminal records to obtain legal work permits, officials said. The group is also likely to endorse stricter border controls and a better system for employers to verify the immigration status of workers.

It was not clear, however, whether the final agreement will offer guidance on perhaps the thorniest issue in the immigration debate: what mechanism illegal immigrants could use to pursue full citizenship.

[snip]

Congressional aides stress that a final agreement has not yet been reached. But the negotiations mark the most in-depth immigration talks involving members of both parties since a similar attempt broke down in 2010 without producing a bill.

We’ll have to see, but this part doesn’t make me warm and fuzzy:

“We have basic agreement on many of the core principles,” Senate Majority Whip Richard J. Durbin (D-Ill.), a member of the group, said this week. “Now we have to draft it. It takes time.”

Other senators involved in the talks are Democrats Charles E. Schumer (N.Y.) and Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) and Republicans Lindsey O. Graham (S.C.), John McCain (Ariz.) and Marco Rubio (Fla.).

Two others, Sens. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) and Michael F. Bennet (D-Colo.), have also been involved in some of the discussions.

50. January 26, 2013 at 9:18 am

Good Morning All….
    No posts since 7:17 am…
    Where is everyone?

51. January 26, 2013 at 9:21 am
      January 26, 2013 at 9:26 am

One of those people was my OFA director here in AZ. She emailed all of us last night and told us the whole thing…The funny thing is, when Chips posted this earlier in the week, I watched and thought to myself, ” Gee, that looks JUST like Andrea!” Well…sure enough, it WAS her!!! She said she was a pile of mush….she has ALWAYS wanted to meet PBO and the First Lady….and there she was, surprised as all get out! I’m so happy for her…

• January 26, 2013 at 9:41 am

Wow, how wonderful for her. She must have also been at the Staff party?

January 26, 2013 at 9:46 am

I have no idea…I know that she was touring with a group of volunteers and people that helped with the campaign…at least that’s what I understood her to say. I think that she was exhausted most of the time after the inauguration…but she DID make time to go visit the WH…good idea!!!

January 26, 2013 at 9:48 am

thank you Marlz….I have sprung a roof leak, so that’s a little doubtful today. Damn it. NEVER rains here….

• January 26, 2013 at 9:36 am

WordPress is misbehaving this morning…

52. January 26, 2013 at 9:43 am

Since Chips is not yet up, I’m claiming 1st for the Rise & Shine thread. :)

G’morning TOD, lurkers, everyone! :)

• 257 auntsis522
      January 26, 2013 at 9:46 am

damn you, hopefruit2, damn you. :)

January 26, 2013 at 9:53 am

good luck with that:) I want to wait until I’m assured to be # 20…so that I don’t have to see that face that up there right now….that was a pretty cruel joke, Ms. Chips….

53. 259 auntsis522
    January 26, 2013 at 9:46 am

GOOD MORNING, GOOD MORNING.
    I am claiming first on new thread…hehehe
    Have a great TOD day.

January 26, 2013 at 9:51 am

I’m just sayin’…I hope that Chips wakes up soon and puts up a new, BEAUTIFUL pic of ANYTHING other than the jackwagon that’s up there now! Everytime that I refresh the page…I see his face with his nasty hair, and 1970’s glasses. I DON’T WANT TO SEE HIM ANYMORE! Mankini would be better at this point…at least I would be LMAO!

• January 26, 2013 at 10:07 am

I agree with you that face is a nightmare. this is the reaso 2010 was a disaster for us and those whiny progressives seems not to understand what depts the betrayed this country by encouraging poeple not to vote just sick of them. They stil think they are relevant this would not have happened in a year of redistricting they encourage folks not to vote what a failure.

55. 262 dotster3
    January 26, 2013 at 9:56 am

AP writing about Michelle—–nothing new, all speculation, throwing it out there because Michelle is popular and people will read it

January 26, 2013 at 10:18 am

There are a whole bunch of MSM articles written about FLOTUS, the girls, what they will do in 4 more years, will they date, will they retain privacy, etc. The MSM is obsessed with PBO & Family!

January 26, 2013 at 10:59 am

We have a warm down to earth lovely First Family. I know we don’t see very much of the girls, but this Inauguration I think the world were very impress by them.

56. 266 Dakota
    January 26, 2013 at 10:08 am

Good MorningTOD Family!

May the blessings of the Lord shine upon you this day! Attending a Black History kickoff brunch today sponsored by the Dept. of Africana Studies at the University of New Mexico. Keynote speaker this year is Hill Harper. Last year’s keynote was Donna Brazile. Always a great event.

Have a great day! Catch up with y’all later!

57. 267 Nena20409
    January 26, 2013 at 11:49 am

TJ Holmes is in THE MSNBC Studio!…….Yeah!!!! :) :) :)