Jan

VC in DC

(No, this isn’t VC …. at least, I don’t think it is)

by VC

I never thought I’d see the day when I’m forced to admit that some experiences defy words. I’ll try to share, though I make no promises I can convey my inner feelings.

On Sunday, at the ‘T’ meet-up I ‘won gold’! Two tickets to a section of the action for which you had to be ‘vetted’! Who would have thunk that *I* would look forward to being patted and ‘wanded’ and having my purse pawed through? :???:

But look forward I did. Can you imagine how it feels to get a surprise gift that puts you closer to SEEing President Obama and family, VP Joe and family, Nancy Smash et al, than you had ever dreamed of being? Of being in the midst of the action even though you hate crowds? My ‘win’ brought me the experience of having a dream I never dared dream in earnest, fulfilled! I was going to the Inauguration!

(Nancy spots an old friend in Georgetown)

I went out to supper with Theo and her mom at a posh restaurant (at least for me it was) in the heart of Georgetown after meeting with the ‘T’ crowd. As alluded to earlier, I saw Nancy Smash up-close and personal. Sadly, just like some of you, she didn’t recognize me. [It must have been the little bit of makeup I tried* to add to my features. (* = don’t ask).]

(DC, Inauguration morning)

Inauguration morning was fresh, cool, invigorating and pregnant with expectation and promise. I say fresh because the morning was ‘new’, the air sharp, and also because I left my hotel at 6:10am to meet my ‘guest’, Political Junkessa, who was going to be my partner to scout out the action. Not knowing my way around and knowing the subway stations would be busy, I arranged to meet PJ on the platform of a station common to both our routes, each of us coming to it from a different direction.

Yes, I arranged to meet someone in a subway system with which neither of us was greatly familiar, but what other option did I have? The station was a central change point but if we met on the lower level it should be simpler (so thought *I*), as the upper levels had several train lines to confuse us. I got there 15 minutes early – trains were running very fast with hardly any wait time in between – and realized the folly of my decision!

(No, VC and PJ aren’t actually in this pic, but it was the best I could find to illustrate the scene described)

Read it all here

224 Responses to “VC in DC”

1. 1 carolmaewy
    January 25, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Hello everyone!

2. January 25, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Yay CarolMaeWY!! We share first.

3. January 25, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Hello everybody. I have just finished reading the beautiful exchange between UT and Mrs. Klein.

My take: UT = Truth teller, Mrs. Klein, in the words of Chris Matthew, HA!

4. January 25, 2013 at 2:49 pm

VC thanks so much for sharing your inaugural story …and Chips for additional illustrations!

January 25, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Yeah, Susan, I’ll have to talk Ms Chips into illustrating my novel. She did an outstanding job!

5. January 25, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Great story! What a thrill just to be there.

6. 13 PoliticalJunkessa
    January 25, 2013 at 2:50 pm

My name is PoliticalJunkessa, and I approve this message. ;-) It was a blast! Thanks VC! ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

January 25, 2013 at 2:53 pm

What a beautiful experience vcprez – thanks for sharing with us! :)

8. 17 a4alice
    January 25, 2013 at 2:53 pm

OMG VC that was hysterical – Igotta run into a meeting but that was great! What a trip of lifetime! :-)

9. January 25, 2013 at 2:53 pm

VC, thanks for sharing. :) :)

10. 19 Pamela
    January 25, 2013 at 2:54 pm

{{{{{{{VC}}}}}}} }}}}}}. How much fun is this? :lol:

11. January 25, 2013 at 2:56 pm

OT: I saw the coolest thing today. My kiddo is sick, so I was leaving work early, driving behind this car heading toward my neighborhood. The license plate caught my eye: PZ-Obama. I wanted so badly to honk my horn and pump my fist.

12. 21 auni
    January 25, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Oh thank you, thank you–how I would have loved to be there. But, you experienced it for us and made it real.

January 25, 2013 at 3:00 pm
  14. January 25, 2013 at 3:00 pm

utaustinliberal,

I read your tweets, and saw that that Lowery person tried to change the goalposts everytime you nailed them.

but, you persisted, and because of their thin skin, they blocked you.

they thought that they could just publish packs of lies about the President, and everyone would be ok with it.

GREAT WORK, utaustinliberal :)

January 25, 2013 at 3:01 pm

That first pic is really funny! At first I didn’t go down far enough so I thought it was the back of someone’s head, and was wondering who would put a button in their hair like that. :roll: Then I saw what looked like one eye, and as I was peering more closely to see if it was really an eye, I move the screen up a bit more and noticed it was an actual face!!! Wonder if it’s time to get new glasses, or maybe wear the one I’ve got right beside me? ;) ;) Ah me, Friday’s good!

By the way, it most certainly isn’t me, Chica! I’d recognize myself, I think.

• 26 donna dem 4 obama
      January 25, 2013 at 3:07 pm

{{{{VC}}} I am so happy it was a wonderful experience for you. I’m already working on our next venture…

• January 25, 2013 at 4:46 pm

One of the most enjoyable and touching accounts I’ve ever read of any experience, VC, and for it to be about an experience all of us shared, in the making of it and of the day itself, makes it very, very special.

p.s. Donna – so admire your generosity and hope you are doing well.

Thank you!

Yes We Can

January 25, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Glad you had such a great time VC.

January 25, 2013 at 3:11 pm

-Was your camera sipping champagne?

In truth, Chips Chica, Theo67 kept offering me champagne, so what was a girl to do if she didn’t want to seem ungracious?

• January 25, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Unfortunately, I failed in my mission with the champagne – I was “forced” to keep drinking VC’s share…. the trials and tribulations…

VC – great roundup of the glorious week in DC. My pictures are definitely champagne-soaked, but I share in your very credible capture of the feelings and events of the day(s). What a wonderful experience! Definitely one to remember for a lifetime.

January 25, 2013 at 5:23 pm

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ Theo. Thank you for actually getting me there! Left to myself I’d have had the earnest intention but very little follow through since I’m a homebody at heart. Having to liaise with someone else took me to the starting line. Merci. Oh, yeah, may I have that phone number now? ;) ;)

18. January 25, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Thanks for sharing VC. Glad you had a great time. :)

19. January 25, 2013 at 3:23 pm

White House Women’s Update: Inauguration 2013 – Seneca Falls, Selma, and Stonewall

Greetings All-

We hope this message finds you well. It has been an exciting and busy week here at The White House, with the start of a new term and great news for women and all Americans.

On Monday, President Obama delivered his Second Inaugural Address. He inspired us with his words, and set the tone for our work by saying: “the most evident of truths –- that all of us are created equal –- is the star that guides us still; just as it guided our forebears through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall.”

This week, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta announced a decision to rescind the 1994 Direct Ground Combat Definition and Assignment Rule for women. The Department of Defense plans to remove gender-based barriers to service, including combat positions.

President Obama issued a statement reaffirming the Administration’s commitment to protecting the reproductive rights of women in honor of the 40th anniversary of Roe v. Wade which took place on January 22nd.

The President’s second term offers many ways for you to participate in conversations with the President and his team. Read on for opportunities to engage, and don’t forget to follow the Chair of the White House Council on Women & Girls, Valerie Jarrett on Twitter, “@vj44.” We look forward to continuing the conversation!

Best wishes,

The White House Council on Women & Girls

January 25, 2013 at 3:28 pm

The crazy (LaPierre) is coming to town.

21. January 25, 2013 at 3:29 pm

VC, you crack me up! So happy you had such a great time!

22. 44 mtmarilyn
    January 25, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Oh VC, what a wonderful accaouting. Thank you for taking all of us who couldn’t get there, with you.

23. January 25, 2013 at 3:30 pm
    January 25, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Isonprize posted this earlier but I’m posting it again for anyone who didn’t have the opportunity to see it. It’s a delightful video of Pres. Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama thanking OFA, DNC, Inaugural Committee, and White House staff for all their work during the election and for putting Inauguration 2013 together. The camaraderie between POTUS and FLOTUS is so beautiful to watch. They were laughing, teasing each other, joking. It was wow.

25. 49 cookemom
    January 25, 2013 at 3:36 pm

So here’s everybody… over here partying with VCprez, while I was still over on the last thread wondering why no one was posting. Great accounting of a good time there vcprez. It put me right there with you. Dare I say that I understand your outburst of laughter. The same feelings resulting in uncontrollable laughter overcame me as well at the most inappropriate time……..my wedding. Folks thought I’d lost my mind. Cookeman thought, ‘uh oh’

• 50 carolyn
      January 25, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I also unerstand the laughter…..I either would have done that or just sobbed and irritated everyone! A great story. Thank you.

• 51 carolmaewy
      January 25, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Thanks. Hope I have a chance to help in some small way in next four years. He will be one of greatest presidents. We are his power.

• 52 dotster3
      January 25, 2013 at 5:13 pm

I did the same thing at my wedding. My sister and I broke out in these huge, and I mean HUGE, roaring gales of laughter—–where you have to gasp noisily for breath. It was so embarrassing, and I couldn’t stop. Minister looked confused, mr. dotster was fake smiling at my inappropriate betrothal behavior and deserves some credit for not deciding to become a runaway groom. Still laughing many moons later.

• 53 cookemom
        January 25, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Thank you thank you for this. All this time I thought I had to have been the only person who would have done such a thing. I couldn’t explain it. The poor Rev was all a fluster, cause I cracked up after everything he said. Then when he’d ask me to say something, I couldn’t get it out. Then, when I tried to stop, it got worse….my shoulders would shake and the laughter would build up until I had to release it. Then my answer to the good Rev ended up something like this, ‘BWHAAAAA HA HA HA!”

My side of the church was horrified. Cookeman’s side of the church was going, ‘ooh boy, what has he gotten himself into’.

Cookeman was looking like, “wassamattawithyou!??! can we please just get through this”

I didn’t just have a nervous laugh. I had a knee slappin, gut wrenching, banshee howling, big old guffaw tirade.

26. 54 cookemom
    January 25, 2013 at 3:43 pm

from the last thread:

So much for Virginia trying to change awarding electoral votes in their state. Seems there’s 2 state GOP Senators against it. Well that was quick. There are Fla. GOPers who also say ‘fergedaboutit’.

• 55 susanne
      January 25, 2013 at 3:50 pm

aloha cookemom
      the article i linked to below says this rnc gerrymandering push sacrifices local voting power to national party interests. the more that’s known, the better chance of squashing it.

• 56 cookemom
        January 25, 2013 at 4:00 pm

I agree, I don’t think this goes anywhere, now that the light has been shown on their motives and underhandedness. We just have to be diligent in making sure folks vote their interest. This is also a result of gerrymandering in states that went Republican in 2010. We must be diligent in getting folks to participate in Census taking. It’ll be 2020, before some of those districts can be overturned politically.

• 57 Alycee (@jazziz2)
          January 25, 2013 at 5:07 pm

We also need to ensure that we educate our family & friends on the importance of voting in each and every election! Benni to 2020 election is that it is a presidential year, with the right candidate and high turnout, hopefully we can takeover and state houses remaining in rethug hands. He who controls the state house, controls redistricting (in most states).

• 58 cookemom
            January 25, 2013 at 5:11 pm

You are right. But it’s the census that gives the pols the ability to redistrict anyway they wish. But a strong Dem field will at least keep it within reach. Had 2010 census year been a presidential year, we may have been spared the states that turned Repub.

27. 59 susanne
    January 25, 2013 at 3:47 pm

aloha and good morning chips and todville~

sam wang continues his analysis of gerrymandering, calling it the rnc’s long term strategy.

‘ However, note that the push for change is only occurring in swing states – the same ones where gerrymandering has succeeded to such new extremes. In this respect, a theme has emerged that dates back to Bush v. Gore in 2000, and has continued with voter-ID laws: the goal is to win near-tied situations. It’s an impressive long-term strategy. ‘

28. January 25, 2013 at 3:53 pm

I don’t know if anyone has been talking about this today, but apparently the DC Circuit Court has struck down the President’s recess appointments for the NLRB. I cannot believe this. That means they will be reviewing all decisions made since then and could affect many cases.

January 25, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Dear VC,

I’ll make this short, because tears are squirtin’ out of my eyes. Thank you. Among others, I’m sure, I felt as though I were there with you! (And thanks for your part in the presentation, Chips!)

Love,
    Fellow Obot/TODbot/Americabot

30. 67 kasai
    January 25, 2013 at 4:12 pm

President Barack Obama issued a video statement airing today before 3,000 lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) rights advocates assembled for the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force’s 25th National Conference on LGBT Equality: Creating Change.

31. 70 daisydem
    January 25, 2013 at 4:20 pm

VC thank you, for the wonderfully funny and yet poignant, first hand accounting of being at the inauguration. When you were talking about your feelings upon seeing Malia and Sasha, our First Lady and the President real, up close I teared up. I could feel the awesomeness of it all.

32. January 25, 2013 at 4:34 pm
    January 25, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Pres. Obama’s fault.

34. 76 Linda
    January 25, 2013 at 4:51 pm

RICHMOND, Va. — The prospects appear doomed in Virginia this year for Republican-backed legislation that would replace the state’s winner-take-all method of apportioning presidential electoral votes with one that awards one vote to the winner of each congressional district.

Virginia is the first of several states carried in November by President Barack Obama where the Republican-controlled legislature is considering measures to replace the winner-take-all allocation of electoral votes. The Virginia legislation survived a state Senate subcommittee on a 3-3 vote this week, but two Republicans on the full committee said Friday they would oppose the bill when it comes up for a committee vote next week, effectively killing it.

And should it clear the legislature, Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell announced Friday he opposes it. Spokesman J. Tucker Martin said McDonnell, a Republican, “believes Virginia’s system works just fine.”

• 77 pkayden
      January 25, 2013 at 5:17 pm

YAY!! So glad to hear this. I was really worried that Dems were doomed in Virginia (and other copy cat Republican-dominated states).

• 78 Obama Grandmama
        January 25, 2013 at 10:37 pm

It is necessary to stay on top of it as saying he’d veto could take the attention away then he could sign it quietly at the time it passes. That could be their plan to lull us into complacency.

35. 79 cookemom
    January 25, 2013 at 5:01 pm

“We lost, but I’m not going away,” Romney told the crowd, according to a person who attended the RNC meeting. “I will continue to help.”

BWHAAAA!!!

36. 85 kasai
    January 25, 2013 at 5:05 pm
    • 86 Lovepolitics2008
      January 25, 2013 at 6:22 pm

This is what pisses me off so much. First time there is such a fuss on recess appointments, and the president who has to defend himself is the one who did his best to not abuse the procedure. The republicans are the ones who don’t respect the spirit of the Constitution, and the president is the one punished.

The hope I have is that this whole affair will finally put some light on the abuse of the Senate rules by the republicans. Political junkies know about it, but the general public hasn’t paid attention. Now the media will have to report on the subject.

So I hope it backfires big time on the republicans. Because to explain why there were recess appointments, you have to explain that nominations had been BLOCKED for a long time. And you have to explain WHY.

Proceed, republicans. Make a big fuss of this story. And then try to justify why you put holds on nominations. Why you blocked the nomination of Cordray because your Wall Street pals didn’t want the Consumer Bureau to become operational, as written and signed INTO LAW. Try to justify why you BLOCKED the nomination of people on the National Labor Board (sorry I don’t remember the exact name) just because those people are NOT THE PUPPETS OF CORPORATE AMERICA.

Oh yes. “proceed”, republicans. And demonstrate, once more, that you are the party of the rich, not the party of the people.

January 25, 2013 at 5:05 pm
  38. January 25, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Ok, still kind of in a pissy mood, but I just got off the phone with one of my regular callers. He’s a complete Obot, and his question today was about Mary Jo White. He first wanted to know what law school her husband went to. (NYU, for anyone who’s interested.) Then he wanted to know what ethnicity she was, because he couldn’t tell from the picture in the NYT. I told him, and then added that “she has a stare that will eat malefactors’ souls.” He guffawed and said “good, we need more of the fatcats to be scared.” Reason # 3,098,452 why I love my job.

January 25, 2013 at 5:13 pm

HEADLINE: Majority Of Americans Think Implementing Obamacare Should Be A ‘Top Priority’ In Their State

// The verdict is in: Americans don’t just support Obamacare — they consider implementing its central tenets a “top priority” for their state legislatures. A new Kaiser Family Foundation/Robert Wood Johnson Foundation/Harvard School of Public Health poll finds that strong majorities of Americans consider implementing Obamacare’s statewide insurance exchanges and Medicaid expansion either a “top” or “important” priority for their state:

Americans increasingly embrace Obamacare as it is implemented. Although public sentiment on the landmark reform law was ambivalent as it was being debated in Congress, Americans have consistently supported its individual provisions, and support for fully repealing the law plunged to an all-time low after the presidential election. And House Republicans can’t find any co-sponsors for their latest Obamacare repeal bills now that the president is beginning his second term. //

40. 93 dotster3
    January 25, 2013 at 5:16 pm

vc—-thanks for sharing your great experience—–lacked porta-potty photos but otherwise very enjoyable. :)

41. January 25, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Every time I see that exchange between Secretary Clinton and Rand Paul, where Paul says words to the effect, “If I were President, I would demand that you step down”, I have to burst out laughing.

In what Universe would Paul be President? Ms. Clinton did a good job of keeping her composure.

42. 104 Ladyhawke
    January 25, 2013 at 5:21 pm

OMG, I can’t stop laughing. Hardball Chris Matthews just interviewed David Corn and Joy Reid about the way the Republicans were browbeating Secretary of State Hillary Clinton this week at the Benghazi hearings. It totally backfired. But in characterizing Rand Paul’s behavior, Joy compared him to the cartoon character villain SNIDLEY WHIPLASH. I laughed out loud. I think it really took Chris by surprise. He got a chuckle out of it too.

• January 25, 2013 at 5:57 pm

I saw that too. Also loved her comment that you can’t change the cake by changing the frosting. :)

• 106 theo67
      January 25, 2013 at 7:06 pm

I wish Chris Matthews had been just as outraged at the way the GOP treated Susan Rice. Or even the way they’ve treated President Obama these past four years. Or that Chris Matthews had thought before declaring Bill Clinton the “President of the World”.

43. 107 dotster3
    January 25, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Illinois R. Sen. Mark Kirk said to be working with 2 Dems to craft gun control legislation—–Gillibrand and Manchin. Significant that he’s Repub and on board—but I don’t like or trust Manchin—-so will have to wait to see if they come up with anything meaningful that has any chance of passage. I am hoping, hoping, hoping.

• 108 cookemom
      January 25, 2013 at 5:37 pm

I don’t trust Kirk either, but this is a start.

January 25, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Agree. And Manchin wants to leech onto some of the others, thinking that’ll get his DINO mug out there. If Manchin has a vested self-interest (I won’t give him anything but that), it could work.

44. 110 wesleya17
    January 25, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Well Hello TOD Family, I’m writing you all and it has been a long time but and I hate to bring bad news to my friends who read as often as I can.The old Truck has been pushed against the wall for the first time since my days at war. We and my Better half had a real bad trucking accident that has my Better Half Sweet Lo is in a deep coma and I had back and leg problems. But most of all I have been worrying about my Sweetheart.That is the reason I’m just letting you my friends out there who have written some great comments to me when I was trucking and could take time to be online.I want to tell you all when you here the words when it rains it all hell breaks loose.Going through this point in time two of our top company clients were sold and the new crowed put in their own favorite rig outfits they wanted to deal with.Well when a Truck is down we loose all the way around and the sons have been so great trying to run the roads and coming to see us and take of their families so it has taken it’s toll.Those guys even set up and fund to help fund some of the special care that is needed we have been not only fighting to get better but our insurance and lawyers have been fighting over who has to pay what thank goodness Obamacare is picking some costs so the insurance will not cut off funding. So the boys set up the fund through a system to make sure the funding will be there if needed a lot of our trucker buddies have come through so to all that don’t think we have great american friends in this world we do.But the most important thing is our President Obama gets to finish what He started.So Gang thank for being out there this old trucker will get better but my Baby is the one on my mind the most.Just keep the faith I will be reading even though I cann’t get online as much because of meds and looking after my baby in ICU.

January 25, 2013 at 5:36 pm

My heart’s with you and your entire family. My son’s a trucker, so, as a member of the family of American truckers, I’m sending up a lot of good thoughts for all of you. Thanks so much for letting us know how it’s going, when you can.

• January 25, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Oh my goodness. So sorry to learn this. My prayers are with you and your family. :(

• 114 wesleya17
        January 25, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Thank You so much and keep the prayers coming I need al Faith I can find because this is my lowest point in my LIFE .

• 115 utaustinliberal
      January 25, 2013 at 5:44 pm

My heart, thoughts, prayers, and wishes are with you and yours. I am sending all the best healing thoughts in this world that you and your better half come through this difficulty. Take heart my friend, better days are ahead for you and your better half. I wish you all the best and I pray that at the end of this struggle, happiness will be your reward and you and your better half will have more days and years of joy.

• 116 wesleya17
        January 25, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Thank You so UT I know you are studying so hard an to take time for a old trucker is why we drive those long miles because we make life better for people like you.So study hard will send a few prayers to make your studies easier .

January 25, 2013 at 6:38 pm

“Old truckers” are golden, around here! You’re the ones who keep everything humming for the rest of us. Love ya!

January 25, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Wesleya, sorry to hear about this accident. Sending positive thoughts and healing vibes to you and your loved one.

• January 25, 2013 at 5:46 pm

My prayers are with you and your sweetheart.

• 122 dotster3
      January 25, 2013 at 5:57 pm

So sorry to hear about the horrible accident and all you are having to go through now. Sending healing thoughts to you and your gal and hope that a better day awaits you soon. Stay strong. There are lots of people here who care and are pulling for you.

• 124 cookemom
      January 25, 2013 at 6:02 pm

{{{{{{{{{{{{{may healing powers surround you and yours}}}}}}}}}}}

• January 25, 2013 at 6:03 pm

So very sorry to hear this. I always loved reading your comments/thoughts and missed you when you didn’t post for awhile. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

My brother is a retired trucker. That’s all he did after he got out of the Navy so many, many years. A few years before he retired, he got his own cab with his name and the record of having driving over 3 million miles and no accident! Then, few months before he retired, he had an accident…..not serious, but accident nevertheless.

January 25, 2013 at 6:06 pm

So, so sorry to hear this news, wesleya. Thinking of you both and sending good, healing thoughts your way. Know that we’re all thinking of you and wishing you well. One moment at a time, that’s all you can do. Please keep us posted. Hugs to both of you….talk to her, even though she’s in a coma…she can hear you….favorite music helps too….please be well.

• 128 wesleya17
        January 25, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I want Thank You so much when my oldest read your comment had to send special thanks because when I was rolling hard and told about when one of our own was in trouble and pet was in trouble too how you wrote about that situation you have always been Dear to our Hearts So thanks again desertflower.

• January 25, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Dear wesleya – will keep you, your wife and family in my thoughts and hope your wife will recover fully, soon. We do indeed have a wonderful American community and a spectacular President Obama. Please know we are all there with you.

• January 25, 2013 at 6:07 pm

I am sending prayers your way (((((Wesleya17))))). I am so sorry to hear of your horrible accident. I am praying for your sweetheart to be returned to you and your family.

January 25, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Wesley, please know you are not ‘alone’. Now that you have shared your sorrow with us you can be assured we will keep you and your loved ones in our thoughts, sending prayers your way at different times of the day and night. May you find the strength you need to sit with, talk to and treasure your Sweetie until she answers you. {{Wesley + W’s Sweet Lo}}

• 133 Dakota
      January 25, 2013 at 7:05 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. God Bless you.

• January 25, 2013 at 7:10 pm

wesleya17, my heart breaks for you at this news. What shock you must be in to have to deal with so many overwhelming circumstances. You have always been a dear heart here on this board and we will all certainly hold you in our highest thoughts for healing and strength for you and your family. Please be strong and take good care of yourself. We will keep your wife in a full embrace of HOPE.

• 135 a4alice
      January 25, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Oh Wesleya so sorry to hear about your sweetie. Prayer and healing thoughts to her. Glad that you are getting support from friends/family. Please do take care of yourself too and get the rest you need and don’t forget to eat something!

• 136 sjterrid
      January 25, 2013 at 8:35 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about your trucking accident, and your wife being in a coma, Wesleya . You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers, and please take care of yourself. I will light a candle for you both.

• January 25, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Wesley, I’ve only just seen your comment and I’m stunned, I am so sorry about what has happened you and your ‘better half’, it’s horrific, I don’t even know what to say. Please stay in touch and let us know how things are, we’ll all be thinking of you. Lots of love.

• 138 wesleya17
        January 25, 2013 at 9:06 pm

CHIPS Thank you I know you are always busy keeping us all fired up so I really didn’t want bring the bad news to your wonderful site but My sons said my Sweetness knew how loved wonderful place we should be ones to tell everyone instead of some outside news site if something really goes worst.So thanks again from the bottom of my heart.

• January 25, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Thank you so much Wesley for letting us all know, I really appreciate that. The horror is that I just thought of you out there enjoying the freedom and beauty of being on the road, but then came this devastating experience. It’s unimaginable to me what you are going through, just know we are thinking about you and sending all our love, best wishes and prayers to you and your loved one. Take care of yourself.

• January 26, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Chips I want to thank you and the TOD Family Last night was one of the best resting nights for My Sweetness with all the meds and processes going on she was always breathing heavy but last night is was easy and smooth. So I just want to give a update and thanks again for all the caring.I thought I could tell and maybe you could pass it on. The old trucker is going to hang in there.

• 141 mtmarilyn
      January 25, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Wesleys17, my heart goes out to you and your family. We will keep you close in our prayers. Please come by every now and then to let us know how your are doing. God bless.

45. 142 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    January 25, 2013 at 5:36 pm

VC, thanks for your first-hand account; your emotions poured off the screen. So glad you and PJ were blessed with the ickets.

January 25, 2013 at 5:38 pm
    January 25, 2013 at 5:48 pm

I find this a bit hyperbolic – don’t you think?

• 148 utaustinliberal
      January 25, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Whoa…..someone needs to switch to decaf. You want 100% progress achieved? You want a 100% Democratic agenda? Send Harry Reid a congress – house and senate – 100% full of Democrats.

January 25, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I’m not calling for Reid to step down, not yet, but I am disappoint. And I’m not liking what I’m hearing about his opposition to the plans the President laid out concerning gun control violence.

• 150 Vicki
      January 25, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Over the top. None of us are happy with Reid right now……. But
      Let’s see if PBO gets his appointments approved more quickly, or not.

January 25, 2013 at 5:56 pm
    January 25, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Guess he didn’t like that spanking Hillary Clinton gave him. :lol:

50. January 25, 2013 at 6:07 pm
  51. 154 wesleya17
    January 25, 2013 at 6:20 pm

To My Wonderful TOD FAMILY I am so happy for your caring I was trying to answer each of You but it like thanking a lot of those have added to Son fund.I just have to put a large THANK YOU ALL

52. 160 squarepeg
    January 25, 2013 at 6:21 pm

the dumbass AZ sheriff that vowed to defy PBO is on Rev. Al.

53. 161 squarepeg
    January 25, 2013 at 6:24 pm
  54. 162 elo4obama/biden
    January 25, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Rev Al is tying this Ass into knots.

• 163 squarepeg
      January 25, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I was like “cmon Rev. Al don’t you dare let him get the last word” LOL

• 164 cookemom
      January 25, 2013 at 6:29 pm

It amazes me that these yahoos think they can go toe to toe with the good Rev Al. The only thing I would change is giving them airtime in the first place. Being on Rev Al elevates them and gives them props as having something worth listening to.

January 25, 2013 at 6:43 pm

He only brings ‘em on, so he can take ‘em down. I’m good with that!

• 166 cookemom
          January 25, 2013 at 7:00 pm

yeah, It’s a dirty job, but somebody has to do it I guess.
          He does it so we don’t have to. I know they agree to come on because they think they will best him. They always underestimate him and leave looking like the dummies they are.

You’re right, the only way to get roaches to scatter is to turn the light on them.

January 25, 2013 at 7:05 pm

My favorite part of Rev. Al’s interviews is when he allows them to speak right to the point where they’ve gone one syllable too far (or he thinks they’re proving his next points), and then he gets that look in his eye and a little whiplash, and he starts talking and they’re toast. Popcorn-worthy.

55. 168 elo4obama/biden
    January 25, 2013 at 6:34 pm

I loved that Rev Al reminded him of the three branches of government. We have judges to interpret the law and rule on constitutionality. Another idiot out of Az. He could not name not one of the 23 executive orders that would be out of the presidents ability to legally and constitionally set policy. But rather was warning him. As Rev Al said-and you’re in law enforcement?

Heis worried about our 2nd amendment rights above public safety, or even his own or the folks who work under him.

56. 169 cookemom
    January 25, 2013 at 6:35 pm

OMG!!!! Rev Al is too much on the Mittiful segment!!

57. 170 kasai
    January 25, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Just when I thought I was done crying..reading VC account of the inauguration..made me feel included in her celebration…Thank you kindly VC

58. 171 dotster3
    January 25, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Wow—-there must no longer be a huge demand for Newtie Patootie and his pearls of wisdom. I see in our local paper he has fallen so hard that he has had to resort to headlining a fundraiser for a sheriff candidate in our county. Desperado. A county sheriff candidate! hahahahahaha. “Appearing in his trademark mankini, let’s all give a big welcome to the esteemed failed presidential candidate and the failed husband and failed person, Newt Gingrich, and his lovely wife, Calista Helmet Hair.”

January 25, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Just lovely!

January 25, 2013 at 6:54 pm

I’m thinkin’ ol’ Pete has learned to run backwards with his camera, too!

• 179 theo67
      January 25, 2013 at 6:57 pm

I love this picture. President Obama so very clearly means it when he says his work is to leave a better world for future generations. What a fantastic picture!

• 181 dotster3
      January 25, 2013 at 7:06 pm

LOVE this photo! So much!

• 183 cookemom
      January 25, 2013 at 7:16 pm

How cute, I see this unfold. The older son and PBO are walking together, hands in pockets along the colonnade discussing the world’s events. The daughter is a few feet ahead wishing that Sasha was home from school. The little guy, deciding the older son has had enough time with PBO, runs up behind them and says, ‘beat you’ and takes off flying.

Now every adult knows that when a kid challenges you to run, or calls you on a play telephone, you answer the call. The daughter seeing an opportunity to have fun, joins in. Older son, thoroughly frustrated, because younger brother once again makes an attention grabbing maneuver, goes “Hey, no fair! He was talking to meeeee!!!

60. 186 squarepeg
    January 25, 2013 at 6:44 pm
  61. 188 99ts
    January 25, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Just been catching up on a wet humid morning in my world

To utaustinliberal – loved the tweets – so positive, polite and true

VC – thank you for the wonderful inauguration story

62. 189 LadyTNT
    January 25, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Hey VC!! This was a beautiful and vivid account of your experience at this great man’s inauguration. Many asked me if I was going to the inauguration ( they know how much I love and support PBO and his family) and I was always like, “no, I don’t want to because I want to see every little detail and I won’t be able to if I’m there.” However, after reading your post, I can see that I missed out on a life changing experience. And with the great coverage that Chips had, I wouldn’t have missed a damn thing!! Thanks, VC, thanks for letting me live through you vicariously and knowing what momentous time it was!

January 25, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Planning to stay inside and watch on computer in order to see every detail was my default mode, LadyT, because I knew I could count on Chips. Having a TICKET to go changed my perspective completely. I know from watching this way in 2009 that THERE IS a great emotional involvement and attachment, and had I not gotten the opportunity to go I would have thoroughly enjoyed watching and been as emotionally invested. However, I must admit that being on site, was for me like an emotional, but not painful, punch in the stomach. The images on the screen were clear and like you could touch them. Cheeks were ruddy, and when they looked your way it was like they were looking in your eyes. Plus, I could shift my head and see them for real, for real in the not too, too far distance. (Happy sigh!) :lol: :lol:

January 25, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Thank you ALL for accepting my DC account with such kindness. I really appreciate the special comments though I finally realized that acknowledging each would add too much extra weight to the thread . You can be assured that both PJ and I had you TODobots in mind throughout our adventure, with PJ checking in on her phone at crucial points. :lol: :lol:

By the way, Cookemom, Dotster3, and others who laugh at inappropriate times, it is reassuring to find I’m not quite as odd as I thought. ;) ;) ;) At least I tried to be more ‘ladylike’ with **my** laughter. No loud guffaws for me. cough. cough. ahem. ahem. VC

January 25, 2013 at 7:10 pm

VC – I’m sure nobody’s expecting individual thanks from you, because after that nice Inaugural gift that you and Chips presented for us today, we’d be thinking you would just sit back and watch the rave reviews flowing in! I’ll give you a 10 for that write-up, for sure!

• January 25, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Such a fun read. I can only imagine the thrill it must have been!

• 195 susanne
      January 25, 2013 at 7:15 pm

thanks for writing it all out for us, vc. almost like being there with you, but without the cold toes!

• 196 kathryn kivett
      January 25, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Well, VC, not only did I have Chips pictures and your beautiful words, but I read it when Rev. Al was doing the recap of the momentous day…between you all, it was as if I relived it again. I am so impressed with your ability to paint a picture with words….I felt like I was in that subway station walking up and down with you..I was shivering when you were cold and laughing when you saw “the family”….Did you really see Nancy P in Georgetown?…..I am so thrilled for you that your trip was magical…Thank you so much for sharing because it makes it all so personal and real.

January 25, 2013 at 8:14 pm

O, KK, I saw Nancy Smash up close alright! She practically walked right by me but she was busy smiling with Theo and thanking her for coming. I was entering the hotel behind Theo and her mom. It seems Theo smiled so broadly when she saw her that she probably thought we were on our way in to join her group. I think there must have been some Dem. function or other in one of the rooms off the hotel restaurant – there were lots of fancy dressed people moving in and out. I saw Ed Henry up close too, while walking towards the President’s viewing box the day before. I couldn’t believe some idjiit AAs actually asked him to have his picture taken with them. I confess I was tempted to ask them if they had ever seen the way that joker addressed the President they had come to hear take his pledge. Theo and I both saw them, so we consoled each other with rolling our eyes together and venting about ignorant citizens caught up in meaningless ‘stardom’.

• January 25, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Thank you so much, vc. I loved every word! I was right there with you – even to the laughter! Not inappropriate, but a great expression of sheer joy.

• 203 Nena20409
      January 26, 2013 at 11:43 am

VC……VC…..VvvvvvvCcccccc :) :) :)

You Rock!

64. 205 dotster3
    January 25, 2013 at 7:02 pm

I see the 3 judge fed. appeals ct. which ruled Obama’s recess appointments “unconstitutional” (don’t like seeing that in the AP story everywhere) were appointed by Reagan, W., and Bush Sr.

January 25, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Yes, what Republicans always accuse us of having: “activist” judges.

January 25, 2013 at 7:15 pm

dotster3, when I heard the decision, I figure they were conservative nuts. I hope the President does appeal this right wing decision.

January 25, 2013 at 7:04 pm

ABC World News just aired their “Person of the Week” segment, featuring FLOTUS’ inaugural designer Jason Wu and his transformation from humble beginnings to a bonafide fashion designer with his place in American history :)

66. 211 vitaminlover
    January 25, 2013 at 7:05 pm

VC, thanks for superblyrepresenting us TOD’ers at the Inauguration.You did us proud.

67. 212 99ts
    January 25, 2013 at 7:10 pm

I don’t often read Frum – but I like this tweet

68. January 25, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Good evening guys.
    my computer is busted so I’m using my Kindle and IPad for the internet

I need to get a new computer. I want to buy a Mac book but they are usually pretty expensive. are the refurbished ones any good?

• January 25, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Any refurbished Apple stuff I’ve bought over the years have been perfect, Lamh. They come with a guarantee any way, so if there is any problem they’ll sort you out. The trickier part is finding a good deal, often the reductions aren’t great, but keep checking the website everyday and you could be lucky. I have got some good bargains over the years.

January 25, 2013 at 7:34 pm

For those who haven’t seen this (I can’t get enough of this guy!):

Inaugural Poet Richard Blanco Talks About His Inspiration

Most of America was introduced to Richard Blanco on Monday when he stepped to the podium at the U.S. Capitol to read “One Today,” the poem he had written to celebrate the second inauguration of President Barack Obama. Blanco, the gay son of Cuban exiles, is the fifth person to be chosen to write an inaugural poem, and the youngest person to be given that honor. (Previous inaugural poets include Robert Frost and Maya Angelou.) In the video … Blanco talks about his desire to create a poem of unity and love, as he believes the occasion demanded.

70. 219 sjterrid
    January 25, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Thank you VC for sharing your experiences at the Inauguration. I’m glad that you were able to meet up with political junkesa, collegekay, and theo, and the others from TOD . It sounds like you all had a great time. I hope you had a safe trip home. I was at the Inaugural, too. I didn’t get to D.C. until 7:00 in the morning. I had orange tickets which was by the Northern gate of the capital, and I had to watch the large screen to see anything, but it was worth it just being there and listening to the President and everyone that spoke or performed.

January 26, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Hi SJT! Glad you made it too. Wasn’t it great? There’s much to be said for being part of a large, positive group that has one focus. The positive energy was quite uplifting! Sure hope we can move #FORWARD with positive force despite Republicans pulling in the opposite direction.